Canadiens back to work today

Ecept for Roman Hamrlik and Josh Gorges, who weren’t at practice in Brossard this morning.

With Hamrlik getting an extra day to rest his weary bones, Alexandre Picard was paired with James Wisniewski.

The four forward lines that faced Atlanta on Sunday remained intact, which meant Lars Eller was an extra skater.

And Carey Price finished about 53,000 votes behind Marc-Andre Fleury in All-Star voting.

*  *  *

Tabernac! MAB to Canadiens Sud

*  *  *

Francois Gagnon’s midseason grades.

*  *  *

While everyone and his uncle was watching the Juniors romp, Boston beat the Leafs to pull three points ahead of the Canadiens (with two games in hand) and the Rangers called up Ryan McDonagh to see what he’s got.

Difficult stretch ahead

Desharnais deserves a chance

• Pierre Ladouceur’s mid-season report card

• Canadiens slip to 16th in ESPN Power Rankings

• Cute: Ovie and Varlamov as Russian spies

1. punkster says:

Just like chumming. Spread a little bait and the usual suspects come out to play. So predictable on here LOL.

***Subbang!!!***

2. TripleX says:

So was Lou Lamoriello at the WJHC.  MAB is a no risk pickup and insurance, nothing more.  MAB can only help an already potent PP.

No one is saying every move by Stevie Y and Boucher are brilliant, but more often than not so far this season it has worked out.

No one is saying every move PG and BG make are terrible.  But far too often they are.

“I don’t like to keep kids like that out of the lineup. They need to play; that’s how they’re going to get better.” Jacques Martin

3. ManApart says:

They did, a beating. Took our great coaching prospect and Desjardins and shoved it right in PG and BG’s incompetent faces.

4. Mark C says:

True, but it doesn’t debunk that reality that Montreal’s only scored an average of 1.55 goals per loss during this losing streak, and has only scored more than 2 goals twice (3 goals). Price isn’t playing as well as he was during the first two months, but the lack of offense has dropped the winning threshold to 1 goal or less on most nights.

5. ManApart says:

That goes a long way to debunk that it’s Montreal’s “crappy” defense that is the reason for Price’s poor stats lately rather than Price just not playing well himself.

6. Mark C says:

I don’t see any quick fix for us. The 0-16 (or 17 now) when trailing after 2 is really, really disturbing in terms of the teams character profile.

The Ducks are 0-12-1

Pitt are 0-8-1

Philly are 1-8-2

Montreal is 0-15-1 BTW.

Sure, MTL isn’t good at coming back but I don’t think the stat is that disturbing while putting it into context.

7. ManApart says:

Oh ya, you’re not biased or anything. Pretty silly.

8. KenD29 says:

will see what I can do. However I can not blame him, I would feel the same way if I had to hold the fort game in game out!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

9. SeriousFan09 says:

I will dwell on a dirty hit where the person in question was completely unapologetic for what he did as much as I like, the same way I still thing Pronger needs a puck to that arrogant grin of his for all the garbage he gets away with. Richards doesn’t get the same scrutiny as Cooke because of who he is, a star player. He puts his elbows into his hits far more than can be excused and was probably upset when he found out the NHL had now mandated soft-cap shoulder pads.

Leblanc has thrown hits in the tournament but not recklessly so, going for the big hit all the time doesn’t make you a better physical player, or Komisarek wouldn’t be the train wreck he is right now. If he had one night without any hits, so what? He’s easily one of Canada’s best forwards because of his complete game and I’ve never seen him shy from contact. He has to be swarmed to be taken off the puck in the offensive zone.

I’ve voiced my doubts about Andrei over the last several weeks or so as well after finding that his October performance has disappeared into the ether. I think his time is ticking in MTL as most here do. One thing going for AK though, he doesn’t make vain speechs about he is owed respect like he is Steve Yzerman or Nick Lidstrom and everyone should bow down to him rather than dare interrupt him when he’s trying to beat up a non-fighter like Richards was when he jumped AK and Subban stepped in. I have said this many times before, I do not like ill-deserved arrogance. He wasn’t the only Gold Medalist from 2010 and he lost in the Cup Finals, Toews was the MVP forward of the Olympics, the Conn Smythe winner of the Playoffs and the captain of the Cup Team. He’s also three years younger than Richards he walks around far less conceited with what he thinks he is owed.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

10. mike g says:

Exactly, well said…

The same way we also all hate Chara and Pronger..

Put them on the trade block and the 29 other teams will call you about them in the next minute.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

11. Mark C says:

Also, he’s another LH D, giving the team only one RH D…and people whine about D-pairings in Montreal. I guess he replaces Smaby/Jones, or maybe he plays upfront.

Then again, its Stevie Y and Guy so it has to be a good move. Stevie Y was afterall just spotted at the WJHC.

12. SLONCOLD says:

look richards plays on the edge and i personally hate him…. However, he would be on my team any day.

13. jrshabs1 says:

The difference between you and # 31 is that you always made the big saves when we needed you to Kenny. Your teammates and the fans didn’t sit on thier hands during the last minute of a 1 goal game like we do when #31 is in nets. Sit down with # 31 Kenny and teach him how to be a pro and winner like yourself.

Go Habs Go!!