Gomez almost ready to return

ScottGomez

Scott Gomez joined his teammates for practice Monday morning, and got off the line of the day:
When asked if he were cleared for contact, Gomez said: “Kinda … I tend to avoid it anyway.”

Gomez was clearly delighted to be back in the room with his teammates, saying “it’s terrible skating by yourself.”

As the speculation on his place in the Canadiens’ crowded depth chart at centre, Gomez said: “They tell you where to play, that’s where you play.”

With a grinning Carey Price within earshot, Gomez added: “Except goalie … I’d quit right away.”

Asked about his role as mentor to young centres Lars Elller and David Desharnais, Gomez said “It’s the way I was brought up in this league. (Eller and DD) are great guys and I’m thrilled for them.”

With tongue firmly in cheek, Gomez described Eller and Desharnais as “cheap guys”.

“I don’t know if I’m teaching them anything or just paying for dinner.”

*  *  *

Andre Kostitsyn left practice early.

He sustained an undisclosed injury against the Rangers, and AK46 is a definite maybe for the Edmonton game on Tuesday night.

*  *  *

11 a.m. upddate: Scott Gomez is skating with his teammates, while wearing a light-blue jersey connoting extra-forward status.

Andrei Kostitsyn left practice early, however, so Gomez is skating at centre with Lars Eller and Travis Moen as his wings.

The other three lines are intact: DD-Erik Cole-Mike Cammalleri, Pleks-Max-Pac-Brian Gionta, Petteri Nokelainen-Mike Blunden-Mathieu Darche

Alexei Emelin is in a defence pairing with Hal Gill. The other duos are Jaro Spacek-P.K. Subban and Josh Gorges-Yannick Weber.

Raphael Diaz would seem to be the extra Dman, suggesting Emelin will draw in against Edmonton Tuesday night.

Power-play units: Pleks and Weber at the points with DD, Cole and Max-Pac | P.K. and Diaz behind Cammalleri, Gionta and Darche.

Penalty-killers: Eller, Moen, Gill and Gorges | Spatcho, Emelin, Nokelainen and Blunden

Saturday penalty calls were head-scratchers

Pat Hickey’s Saturday game wrap-up

Pierre Ladouceur’s weekly report card

Gomez slated for fourth-line duty?

Shayne Corson speaks

Jaro Halak has a new (old) coach

The NHL’s kids are alright

1. The Pickle says:

VancouvetHab, are you seriously critcizing “what passes for intelligent analysis” right after mentioning Gomez as a “possible hall of fame player”. Are you? Seriously? Oh, the ironing…

2. lets see…AK out to be replaced by Gomez…we will be left without a powerforward, an accurate shooter and occasional big time hitter. Gomez might win a faceoff or two, but besides the oh too frequent bonehead move – he hopefully has developed some fancier moves over the opponents blueline and entering there zone, it has been oh so routine in the recent past. We really don’t benefit from another little floater, i would suggest using Weber up front and bringing back Emelin…at least he has some grit back there with the Dmen. Trading Gomez for a high draft pick would be pleasure for any layman…

• VancouverHab says:

Weber and Emelin who are raw unproven so-far-minor-league hopefuls, and AK, who is a world-class-inconsistent run-of-the-mill NHL journeyman, are, in the minds of your average mob-mentality H-I/O journalist or poster, magically preferable to a real player and possible Hall-of-Fame player who has TWO Stanley Cup rings and one CALDER TROPHY.

Welcome to what passes for intelligent analysis at H-I/O.

I’ll retire to Bedlam…..

3. Bill says:

So who of Plekanec, Eller, DD, or Nooky gets moved to the wing?

I’m guessing Eller if I try to read JM’s mind. Too bad because I like Eller at centre.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Danno says:

Leave Eller at centre. AK left practice with an injury so that’s who Gomez will replace in all likelihood.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

4. filincal says:

@HFS49…I tend to think the fans in Ontario are a bit more of joke than the obsessed Habs fans.
    Sure the Gomez deal is a dark spot on Gainey’s resumé, but Burke’s needs a CIA marker on his.

5. Bozo McBozo says:

Just when things were looking up at center this has to happen. The RMS Habs is going to be driven right into the Straits of Futility by this useless knucklehead!

6. HabsFansince49 says:

I really wonder what Bob Gainey is thinking these days. I mean, the Gomez deal has become the joke of the NHL. Unfortunately, we Habs fans are the brunt of the joke.

• slamtherimtim says:

i dont think the trade is as bad as the fact he is still on the team

• Habfan4lfe says:

He’s not gone. PG-JM aren’t the only ones making the decisions.

• Bill says:

Come on. The Dipietrio, Briere, and Horcoff deals are all just as bad. Actually Dipietro’s is worse. Feel better? :)

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Habies says:

If AK is injured, or heaven forbid, anyone of our top 8 (Gomer being the 9th), get injured, then we’re brilliant. so, pipe down.
      Also, considerign the invaluable tips he’s providing to DD and Eller, he’s worth havign on the team.
      We’re approx 16m under the cap right now (including those on IR), so why not have him.
      People need to focus their anger for the NYR loss on the refs, not always back on the unimaginitive discussion of Gomez’s salary.

7. slamtherimtim says:

can someone please tell me markov has been skating and feeling good

thanks

8. VancouverHab says:

Late to the party today, so just responding to the Mad & Morose German Philosopher (HFs72):

The fact of Don Cherry’s creditable reading in history is a public fact–I don’t argue (here) that it makes him erudite, just that it a prophylactic against any slur that he is illiterate.

And it is demonstrably false that his mispronunciation shtick is limited to non-Anglo-Saxon names: he routinely mispronounces some of his favourite Anglos’ names–Kevin Bieksa just for one.

9. Danno says:

How exactly did Gomez get injured?

All they said was it was an upper-body injury.

Did he hurt his back from picking up his paycheck?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

10. avatar_58 says:

I can’t personally believe I’m annoyed at a player returning vs being injured. I think Gomez is about done here. Prove me wrong buddy but I doubt you will.

11. Gerry H says:

Looking at our Gomez-free top nine, it seems pretty clear that Moen is the outlier, notwithstanding his strong play so far this season. He’s a natural fourth line plugger and will make a nice addition to what is becoming a pretty credible 4th line.

I’d like to see Gomez with AK and Lars, but not as a centre. I think Lars’ game really blossomed with the move to centre and I wouldn’t touch that. His face-off performance is pretty weak, but I see no reason why Gomez couldn’t take the face offs while playing wing (if, in fact, his FO% would justfy that).

I’m really looking forward to Gomez’ return. I think he’ll be very comfortable with the new, two-man forecheck. Even at the nadir of his drought, forechecking and forcing turnovers has been one of the best parts of his game. The new system and a switch to the wing could be what it takes to bring his play back up to respectability.

12. TheMock780 says:

I could be wrong here because I’ve never been inside the Habs dressing room, but given when Martin started coaching in hockey and the era in which he had success, I think you could probably take “Hitchcock” out of this article and add in “Martin” and it would be the same thing:

13. Habitant in Surrey says:

‘Will Georges Laraque’s claims about hockey and steroids fall on deaf ears?’: Jeff Blair, The Globe & Mail

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

14. C_Hand says:

I for one am happy that Gomez is returning. This team is stronger with him than without him. He is better at faceoffs than both DD and Eller, and much, much better defensively than DD.

Hopefully he can make something happen and show everyone that he’s still got it. Good luck to Scott Gomez and go Habs go!

15. Mattyleg says:

Time for the 6th (and longer) installment of:
    Lovesong of J. Alfred Martin
    (with apologies to TS Eliot)

And I have known the reporters’ eyes already, known them all—
    The eyes that fix you in a formulated phrase,
    And when I am questioned, sprawling for a spin,
    When I am pinned, ears wiggling on the press-conference wall,
    Then how should I begin
    To spit out all the platitudes of my matches and scratches?
    And how should I presume?

And I have known GMs already, known them all—
    GMs that are Cup-Ringed and rich and bold
    (But in the boardroomlight, seemingly robed in gold!)
    Is it dreams of doing deals
    That keep me off the highlight reels?
    Deals that lie across a table, or curl around a conference call.
    And should I then presume?
    And how should Gomez fit in?

***More to come!***

—Hope Springs Eternal—

16. The HonestFan says:

Gomez who?!

17. HabsFansince49 says:

Great news! Gomer will soon be back! Perhaps martin lucked out with the AK46 injury. Now he doesn’t have to make a hard decision, or does he?

18. Bugs says:

On a completely unrelated matter to Gomie, anyone know what happened to Tonya Harding and how might one go about contacting her should said one wish to do so…at some later date that is totally inconsequential to the imminent return of aforementioned hockey player of course?
    I’m stressing that point because I don’t want folks to get the wrong idea about anything pertaining to this idea even if folks could see some sort of good idea in that wrong idea, cuz it’s a bad idea.
    No, no, see, I just wanna reach her so she could maybe direct me to her ex whom I could ask what kind of PIPE-WRENCH one should use if one were predisposed to…uhhh, well, nevermind the technical stuff, just some data on that would be good.
    Thanks.

Back from the Brink’s boasts L. B. Potter, esq.

• HabFanSince72 says:

And while we’re at it, if the person who knows Tonya could introduce me to Michelle Kwan, it would be much appreciated.

• HabsFansince49 says:

Here you go Bugs: just checked Google and this is what you get -
      “Harding currently lives in Washington State and works as a figure skating teacher in Portland, Oregon. Tonya didn’t go to prison for the Nancy Kerrigan episode, but she did go to jail and get community service in May 2000 for allegedly attacking her boyfriend with a hubcap.

In November 2000 she re-united with Darren Silver, the man she once was accused of attacking with the hubcap. She has taken anger management courses and quit drinking.

She is reputedly working on book about her experiences to be titled “To Hell and Back”.”
      Most germane to your question is that you can contact her at her site: http://www.tonyaharding.org

This is from http://www.weht.net/WEHT/Tonya_Harding.html

• mrhabby says:

you have a thing for Tonya bugs.

• citizenSanto says:

I don’t know man…
      shouldn’t we be saving pipe wrenches for the enemy instead of one of our guys?
      Chara still has a wrench coming to him, don’t cha think?

—————————————
      Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are.
      – Augustine of Hippo

• Bugs says:

Pipe-wrench’em all and let GAAD sort’em out, I say.
        Only way to be sure.

Back from the Brink’s boasts L. B. Potter, esq.

• citizenSanto says:

oh rabbit…
          aint you a stinka!

—————————————
          – Augustine of Hippo

• GomezHair says:

It’s not Tonya you’re looking for, but her boyfriend Jeff Gillooly. That name still sticks in my head 20 years later…

end transmission.

19. nunacanadien says:

Great, now we have an excuse for JM to stop the physical play as he thinks our PK sucks! Now we’ll go back to the five on five that cost us a good start this season. We’ll have Cole griping again. The media missed out on the real reason why JM was unhappy with Cole. They missed that little soundbite about Cole not playing his position and that is why we lost the games. JM accusing Cole of not contributing in his scoring ways by playing the position JM wants him to play. And to add to this mess, is the horrible five on five that always sees Gomez and Gionta splattered all over the boards time after time. Thank you Blunden for giving JM an excuse to go back to this five on five horrible hockey!

20. habfanacrossthed says:

My favourite quote is of Gomez: i avoid contact! Just like you avoid putting that black 6 oz puck into the net. Not that I want Scotty to score goals. He’s more of a minus then a plus on the ice. Put him as a wing, less defensive liability. Eller just needs to improve his faceoff abilities.

GHOD – Go Habs Or Die

21. Danno says:

Hmmmm…. Now there’s an idea.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• petefleet says:

LMAO

******************************************
      Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

***Habs Forever***

22. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Randy Starkman, Toronto Star: Georges Laraques is right, ‘Put An End To 2 Solitudes In Drug Testing’ (in the NHL)

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

23. krob1000 says:

It’s too bad Gomez can’t get it together because he really is a likeable personality

24. Danno says:

Reverse the curse…

Zemog!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• shiram says:

Zatara is that you?

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• citizenSanto says:

maybe it’s her dad Zatana?
        !zemog gnicudorp tarts

—————————————
        – Augustine of Hippo

• shiram says:

You got them mixed, Zatara is the dad, Zatanna the daughter.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• citizenSanto says:

my bad, I was always a Marvel guy, not so much DC.

—————————————
            – Augustine of Hippo

25. Habitant in Surrey says:

…George Laraque Toronto Star video revealing the effects of the booing causing depression to Patrice Brisebois
    …as a Fan, I have every right to question for instance the rationality to insert a Gomez at centre at this time replacing the more physical presense and effective centre as per an Eller
    …but I never stooped to the depths of some idiot fans that feel no moral restraint of tearing one of Our own Players apart
    …I love My Team, but I am well aware among Our Fans are a good number of cretins

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

26. habsnyc says:

I have not been here for a while, but I was checking the standings and the goal differentials. Teams whose point totals are way above their goal differential include Toronto who as allowed one more goal than they scored but lead the division in points, Ottawa who is playing .500 but allowed 10 more goals than scored, Carolina and Winnipeg. Boston despite being in the cellar, has scored six more goals than allowed.

It seems to me, that things should normalize over the next month or two and Boston will climb the standings and Toronto will fall. The stats might be skewed by Boston’s 7-0 win against Toronto, but Toronto is allowing more goals per game than Winnipeg.

Montreal’s minus two goal differential is pretty much in line with their slightly below .500 record. The team looks pretty much middle of the pack to me. I still see them getting somewhere between the 96 points from last year and the 88 points from 2010. Montreal made the playoffs with a negative goal differential in 2010.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

27. shiram says:

AK is doubtful for the Oilers, Gomez is taking Eller’s center position, Eller moves to the wing.
    MEH.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

28. Vladdy Mondavi says:

As much as I’d like to see Emelin in the line-up, I don’t understand inserting him into the line-up against the young, fast Oilers. He’s being set up to fail.

_______________________________
    Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

• G-Man says:

So, like Gill will fail the most, then?

_____________________________________________________

When in doubt, blame PP.

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

Under JM’s perceived regime of playing the veterans regardless of their mistakes and punishing the rookies (perhaps too)severely for theirs. I’d say the stakes are a little more dire for Emelin than for Gill.

Gill has played over 1000 games against opponents consistently faster than him, so he’s developed a somewhat acute knowledge of how to play them.

I realize Emelin needs to play against them at some point, I just hope he isn’t eating pressbox hotdogs for another two weeks for one misread play. I hope he does well.
        _______________________________
        Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

29. Shakewheat says:

Am I the only one that feels like Cammy had a terrible game on Saturday?

He kept shooting for no reason at bad times and the shots kept hiting the Rangers players pads that created turnovers. Mike’s Play in the last few games this season is uninspired and boderline lazy. He never tries to beat a defencemen one on one and shoots from terrible angles that automatically gives the puck to the opposing team.

He needs to to put more fight in him.

• Hobie Hansen says:

The thing about Cammy is that if he’s not scoring he’s not adding much to the team. You could say that about a lot of players but the only thing he has is a wicked shot.

So unless he’s being setup for a one-timer, you hardly notice him.

He’s not a puck carrier, he isn’t great away from the puck…but his shot is sick good.

• shiram says:

I agree, and he is still getting over 2 minutes of PK time, 4th most pk time for forwards behind Pleks, Moen and Gio.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• Shakewheat says:

I know! I never understood why JM use a sniper on the PK… I’ve been saying it for years. Keep the sniper fresh instead of tiring him out by chasing the puck on the PK.

• Bripro says:

Just when you think he’s tanking, he comes up big.
        We were discussing Cammy while they were playing against the Sens.
        I was complaining about the same as you guys…he looks lethargic.
        Doesn’t he make a liar out of me by making the entire play for Cole’s goal.
        He shot, saved, picked it up, and deeked everyone and laid down a beautiful pass to Cole. That shut me up for the night.
        But you’re right, he almost looks like he’s out of gas.

• canadiens26 says:

He might look out of gas because apparently during the off season he didn’t do much cardio.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Mike Cammalleri doesn’t do cardiovascular training in the classic sense. He doesn’t do long slow training on a bike or jogging. He trains his cardiovascular system by doing short bursts of high intensity effort, so mostly anaerobic work, which some would argue is more suited to hockey.

To just assert that he’s out of gas because he didn’t do much cardio is misleading and misinformed. Mr. Cammalleri is one of the most dedicated athletes in the league when it comes to off-ice conditioning.

———————————
            How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

30. punkster says:

Yet another opportunity for the Gomer-bots to build up their hopes and express their heart felt desires to see the guy finally…FINALLY…contribute, produce and live up to the zillion dollar contract billing.

I’m psyched. I’m also an optimistic, hopeful, cheerful, starry-eyed, rose-coloured glasses, pollyanna-like, idealistic, trusting confident and upbeat kind of guy.

My name in punkster and I’m a Gomer-bot.
    ***Subbang Baby!!!***

I think I am in the same club Punkster, but I haven’t reached step 7 where I can say it aloud like you have yet.

• Mattyleg says:

I scrunched up my Gomer-bot card and threw it in the garbage.
        Then I looked at the garbage for a while.
        Then I dug around inside and pulled it out and tried to clean it off and flatten it out.
        Now it’s pretty wrecked, but it’s back in my wallet, and I hope that it doesn’t get salad dressing stains on my Pointe-à-Callières membership card.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

31. Habitant in Surrey says:

…for Ian Cobb
    …Ian, a May 16th 2011 Sports Illustrated article on brain trauma, in case You have yet to read

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

32. Tony McLean says:

“I don’t brake for lawyers. Or Scott Gomez.”

——————————–
    Bring Larry Robinson home.

33. Hobie Hansen says:

Really looking forward to listening to that Shayne Corson Podcast later in the day!!!

Players like Lucic and Horton would probably have a few more black eyes and missing teeth if he were on the Habs today.

Corson was as good, if not better than a Pacioretty or Cole but possessed a real mean streak and would never stand for some of the stuff that goes on today.

Back in the 80s and 90s the Bruins had Neeley and we had Corson.

Today the Bruins have Lucic and Horton and we have, well, ya, nobody….Kinda sad.

Miss ya Corson! You’re the last real power forward the club had!!!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Back in the 80s and 90s the Bruins tended to beat us.

Back in the 70s when they had Jonathan, O’Reilly and Wensink, and we countered with Lafleur, Shutt,Cournoyer, Lemaire – that’s when we really owned them.

34. slamtherimtim says:

Joking or not , what a terrible answer , Gomez , you should be ashamed of yourself, sounds like you dont care anymore , and are giving up ,

Man i hate this guy

35. lukas-joshua says:

What’s going on with Markov?? Does anyone know if he’s been skating??

36. HabFanSince72 says:

‘Gomez added: “Except goalie … I’d quit right away.”’

Do it, Jacques.

37. petefleet says:

Gomez and Emelin in. Coulda seen it coming with the loss fresh on the books. Doesn’t matter that it was a loss to the refs. JM was waiting for this to get Emelin in. He wouldn’t mess with a winning formula. Hope AK46 is ok for tomorrow. I’d like to see Gomer sit this one out…officially benched. That might be enough to get him going.
    I missed the first period Sat nite. What I saw in the second and third was a team that could have won that game. i like how the Habs are playing for the most part. At what point does JM roll the dice on Budaj for another start? I thought he shoulda gave him Sat nite but what do I know? I coach ringette not hockey.

******************************************

***Habs Forever***

• G-Man says:

Why do you want to see the most expensive player the Habs have benched? I’d much rather see him set up 3 goals and shut up a few posters here. _____________________________________________________

When in doubt, blame PP.

• shiram says:

Gomez has been bad for so long now, people don’t expect much from him, so 3 assists, well good luck.
        Also that DD and Eller are playing well, and they don’t want to see their TOI diminished for an underperforming Gomez.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• petefleet says:

Bench him because high salaries don’t score goals or set them up. the player making the money does, or is supposed to. I want him to get 80 pts this year but he won’t. 3 more years of 39 pts is not what the Habs should get for $20million.

******************************************

***Habs Forever***

• Habfan4lfe says:

Cuz he sucks, secondly he wont setup anybody for 3 goals. Send him down. I think you’re asleep G-Man, you should change your nick to Zzz-Man

38. C_exacte says:

Emelin’s so hyped to play that he’s going to check someone clean through the boards, then when the refs call interference and unsportsmanlike penalties…he’s going to dish out the “I must break you” line before pulling a Clutterbuck on Tim Peel or Chris Lee.

39. volcano62 says:

Rumor going around that Pierre Mcguire will be taking over as new Habs coach and general manager.

Rosie Dimanno from the Toronto Star who seems to think Don Cherry should accept the Honorary Degree for reasons that well….. I cannot comprehend.

• DearyLeary says:

I have no idea how Dimanno has a job as a writer. The only word I can think of that describes her work is ‘insipid’.

But I think that this will have the opposite desired effect. If there’s anything Don hates it’s sympathy and being patronized. If writers continue to pat him on the back and say “There there, Don, you’re still relevant”, maybe he’ll quit faster.

Agree, did you read Cathal Kelly’s piece in the Star? He finishes by comparing Cherry to a Lion being taken down by a pack of dogs.

I can’t believe these supposed writers feel sorry or empathy for this guy. He has dug his own foxhole to fight from. There is no need to sympathize for him. These writers are so fickle, they see the worm turning in public opinion on Cherry so now it is like they look at him as the underdog and act as though he needs defending.

• shiram says:

Honorary degrees are stupid, so why shouldn’t stupid Cherry get one?
      That’s what I got reading that diagonally.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

41. nick says:

Here is a question for everyone…
    Who do you think will score more points this season.
    a- Pacioretty / Kostitsyn
    b- Cammy / Gionta

42. HabFanSince72 says:

Re: Don Cherry’s honorary degree.

A few days ago I referred to Don Cherry as obnoxious and illiterate. VancouverHab replied that I was free to think him obnoxious, but that he (Cherry) was in fact quite well-read and very literate, and I only failed to appreciate this because I dislike his politics. Illiterate then, according to VH, was just a generic insult, typical leftist mud-slinging.

Now I can’t say I watch Coach’s Corner anymore, but I’ve seen a fair number of episodes. Don Cherry can barely pronounce players’ names, and has never to my knowledge given evidence of being well-read. By comparison, Ron MacLean comes off sounding like John Updike.

So what am I missing? Where is the evidence of scholarship and culture that would justify awarding an honorary diploma to Don Cherry?

• RGM says:

I have long maintained that, like Columbo, it’s just an act to play to his audience. He just pretends to be a loud-mouthed, obnoxious buffoon because that’s the character that people want to see. There is no way that after 10 years, he didn’t know that the captain of the Montreal Canadiens wasn’t really “Sako Koovu” but he’s being clever and anti-European and playing to his base.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
      RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

43. geo_habsgo says:

Just took a look at the poll question about how much we think Patches is going to score this season. That 17% of you who said he will score over thirty are really smoking the good stuff…lol not that I would be complaining if he did that would be awesome but I’d be surprised if he had that kind of game in him.

I used to think Higgins could do it for us and he disappointed me. I’m trying to learn to love again.

44. habs001 says:

Now to be a bit more optimistic we can also in the next 12 games jump start the season and get out of our slump…

oilers.. expectations should be a habs win
    phoenix ..a winnable game
    nashville..some of our worst games here ..probably we cannot give up more than one goal to get points.
    sabres…this is a key game if we wish to be better than 6-6 or 7-5 after these 12 games…we have to show we can beat the sabres at home
    caroline..2 games with them..probably a split
    islanders..winnable game as long as we dont go into a defensive shell with the lead as we have done in new york a few times..
    rangers..i have a feeling the rangers will beat us
    boston..will be close but i believe we will win (may be o/t)
    flyers…we usually play well in their barn in the regular season..
    pitts..probably a loss as we play the flyers the day before
    ducks…i believe we can win this game…so 8-4 would not be bad

HEADS UP FOR HAB FANS…NOV 25TH GAME VS FLYERS FRIDAY 3PM START AS US THANKSGIVING…BOOKED THE DAY OFF ALONG WITH THURSDAY TO WATCH A PAINFULL GAME LOL (PACKERS VS LIONS)

• SeriousFan09 says:

Agree with most of your thoughts but I’d say with the Oilers I’m not so sure about, the Canadiens have lost 5 of 7 against them since the lockout ended and their two wins came from OT and SO. Rangers, I think MTL takes them this time, we generally go 3-1 with them each season and the boys will want revenge.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• habs001 says:

AS long as we finish 8-4 i can live with an oiler lose and a ranger win…maybe i am wrong but it seems vs the oilers we have given up goals that our goalies should have stopped and goals caused by major errors…if we get a lead on the oilers we cannot sit back…

45. Chris says:

I remember Don Cherry ranting about how no NHL players have tested positive for steroids one time. Nonetheless, the perception remains that steroids, ephedrine and human growth hormone are all abused to varying degrees. For example, about half of th NCAA Division I players in a 2006 study responded that they had used stimulants that season.

And then there was Dave Morissette’s book where he admitted to steroid abuse and, like Laraque, alleged that performance enhancing drugs were definitely being used by NHL players.

It would be great if the NHL and NHLPA could agree on a comprehensive, Olympic style drug testing program. There will still be cheats, but the deterrent at least would help.

46. HabFanSince72 says:

The Emelin situation. My fear is that when he finally does get to play he will be nervous, make mistakes, and get the usual JM “encouragement” (nailed to the bench and, subsequently, the press box).

I think part of the problem is playing each game like it is a playoff game. Maybe Emelin is the 7th best d-man right now, but he should still play some in order to develop.

• TommyB says:

I think both Emelin and Diaz will take turns in the press box, or at least I hope it will be at least that fair. Both show potential, and both need to be in games to help their development. Markov’s return is not going to help the situation, and eventually Campoli will also be ready to return. So they are both in a predicament that is not always healthy for a young player’s development. Hamilton could be in the cards for both of them at some point.

My prediction is JM sticks Emelin in for the Oilers game because the team just lost. However, given Diaz is probably a better skater and the Oilers are speed and less physical perhaps this isn’t the best showcase game for Emelin to have to catch up to speed in.

• kempie says:

Stop reading my mind. It’s creepy.

We both know what’s going to happen right? One speed rush by Taylor Hall around Emelin and he will be banished back to the bench for the next game.

• G-Man says:

You forgot the part where Emelin makes Hall part of the boards. Don’t assume he can’t. :)

_____________________________________________________

When in doubt, blame PP.

Would love to see, my point is that, one small mistake by Emelin and the musical chairs start again. I am quite happy with Emelin and wish he would be given 5 games in a row despite game results to show what he can do.

47. jimmy shaker says:

Price will probably start this game, even though Budaj needs to play more than once in 15 games or so for the love of God JM! Maybe the habs can save money on a back up tender, let Price play every game and use it for someone up front!

Shaker

48. TommyB says:

Another random thought (I’m jumping topics like crazy this morning)…I get the feeling that tomorrow night’s game with the Oilers is going to be this year’s version of last year’s Habs/Blackhawks game. The game that stands out all year as the most entertaining pure brand of hockey we could witness. I love the youthful energy of the Oilers, and if the Habs bring their skating game it should be a real treat to watch, regardless of the outcome. I just hope it doesn’t turn into the JM show. (why can’t I leave that alone?)

• davelecave says:

Depends on the officiating. The refs may decide they’re bored and just hand the game to one team or the other for no apparent reason.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

That was without a doubt the best game of last year. And I agree, Tuesday has the potential to be an amazing game like that. Especially with the young Oilers playing in Montreal — RNH’s first game there, and Hall and Eberle have only played once.

The only difference is there was an element of desperation in that Hawks game — Chicago was on the playoff bubble at that point and really needed points.

Anyway, I’m really looking forward to a great game!

49. ths says:

Good to hear Shayne Corson. One of the greats along with Chris Nilan.
    I actually saw him in Da Vincis on his second stint in Montreal He was talking to one of the Da vinci’s about how great it would be to catch up with Chelly in Chicago on their next road trip.
    Good Times. Will we ever get one of those great character guys back

50. TommyB says:

Hitchcock takes over the bench in St.Louis. Anybody see that one coming? Gotta figure Arniel’s breakfast is going down a little easier this morning.

Further to Cherry,

So here in Southern Ontario the Fan 590 sports station plays this ridiculous segment 2 or 3 times a day called the grapevine, where Don Cherry with the help of Brian Williams tells self absorbing stories.

On Friday’s segment, Cherry bragged about how he never wanted to go to the Olympic Games and do Cockroach Corner but CBC made him go. Apparantly at one particular Olympics he pissed off CBC so the executive came to see Cherry and tried telling him to tone it down. Well Cherry goes on to compare himself to one of his dogs a Bull Terrier and says they are the best dogs but can be a pain in the ass. And flat out tells the exec. if you don’t like putting up with the with pain in the ass, get rid of the dog, essentially get rid of me then. Obviously CBC didn’t do so.

What gets me, is how he can go on the radio and brag about showing up or challenging the brass of CBC to fire him. He truly is out of control, but I am guessing CBC execs’ are whores to the money his show brings in so they don’t dare get rid of him.

52. JF says:

Looking at the teams ahead of us, I’m wondering who we might displace to make the playoffs. Ottawa shouldn’t be a problem; they’re young and energetic but inexperienced, and, judging by how many goals they’ve given up, goaltending might at some point be a problem. Florida have been surprising and consistent, despite surrendering a 3-goal lead last night. Tampa seem to be up and down, and I’m not sure Roloson can handle a full year at his age. Carolina are still a point ahead of us, although we have a game in hand. They’ve given up a lot of goals in some games, so maybe consistency is an issue there. I think we’re a better team than the Rangers, but they’re riding their own 4-game winning streak at the moment. Our disastrous start means that making the playoffs is going to be extremely difficult. Five games ago we were in last place; now we’re in 12th, but the same number of points out. And the hated Bruins seem to have gotten their game together and are right on our tails. I’m hoping that by the 20-game mark, we’ll be in a playoff spot, but we absolutely can’t afford a losing streak.

• Chris says:

Interesting thing with the Rangers schedule is that they play 12 of their first 19 games on the road this season, including the first two in Stockholm. If they can keep their heads above water until then, especially when you factor in the roster upheaval involving the addition of Richards and the injuries to Staal and Sauer, they could be a serious threat for a playoff position.

• twocents says:

Chris, I agree the that the Rangers are showing some signs of being a very competitive team over the long haul of the season. It seems Sather finally has that ship sailing in the right direction. But, if there is any American market where things can sour quickly it’s NY, so you never know.

When I look at who is ahead of us, the obvious ones who can be surpassed are tarranna, Florida, and Ottawa. I also think Carolina, Jersey, and Tampa are vulnerable. The rest will be very hard to surpass given our start.

• Chris says:

Seemingly every year, the playoffs yield a suprise team or two in each conference.

Heading into last season, how many people had Tampa Bay picked to finish as high as they did? They do feature some great forwards, but their defence and goaltending was so suspect that most were writing them off all year.

Two years ago, we were all waiting for the other shoe to drop as Phoenix steamed to the 4th best record in the NHL, one year removed from being the 5th worst team in the NHL.

I would not be surprised to see Toronto hold Montreal off all season. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them nose dive come December, either.

I agree that Florida and Ottawa are probably the most vulnerable ahead of Montreal. But I also think New Jersey has the ability to play better than they have (Parise is still working himself back into shape after missing a season with his own knee injury), so that’s another team that could be in the mix.

I agree with you about the NY market…it is as close to Montreal’s as you can get in the U.S.

• JF says:

Unfortunately, I don’t think we’ll surpass Toronto. I doubt they’ll sustain quite the pace they’re on, but if their goaltending holds up, they’ll stay in it. I expect Buffalo to surpass them, but we’re too far behind. The other teams you mention are vulnerable.

Agree about the Rangers. Given their long road trip to start the season, they’re doing well. But Saturday’s game was very winnable, and the Rangers usually have a bad period when they can’t score.

• stevieboy says:

I cant help feeling like Tortorella is a destructive force, not helpful at all. Check out the video on TSN of him ranking out Prust in the Habs game and his megalomania in general.

He’ll never go far.

Stevie

Kudo’s to all the posters yesterday afternoon and into the evening. Read through thread, some nice intelligent discussions even with people disagreeing but not resorting to ridiculous name calling, Cheers to y’all!

Twilight, you were especially in a good mood givin’ out love to all, good for you.

Looking forward to watching the game tomorrow, Edmonton plays a nice fast game, should be entertaining.

My fearless prediction, if Edmonton wins or looks especially good even in a loss, the concept of their tanking to gain high draft picks may be raised as a topic du jour.

Hoping to see Emelin in action, and anybody got a Markov/White update? (Don’t forget the Cannoli, oh I just did)

54. habs001 says:

With the slow start the habs need at least 7-5 record in the final 12 games in november just to stay in striking distance for a playoff spot….if at the end of november after 25 games the habs are still 12-13 in the east it will not be easy to jump over that many teams despite still 57 games left..they would need a 7-8 game winning streak somewhere in the season…

• TommyB says:

You’re assuming, of course, that all teams above the Habs in the standings will continue to march ahead without any bumps in the road of their own, like little losing streaks, injuries, etc. Most teams are going to face some form of adversity along the way, so I think it is far too early to try to decide whether a playoff spot is within reach for almost any team. It’s early November. Lots of hockey to be played before April. Do you also believe that Boston will miss the playoffs? Montreal is seven points out of first place in their own division. Seven points, not seventeen. Just a little perspective from my point of view.

arrghh…one more edit. My eyes are not awake yet.

The problem with falling behind early, is this fricking 3point system the NHL adopted. It keeps all teams close, but makes leapfrogging teams impossible unless you go on extended winning streaks. For every regulation game loss a team suffers, it seems another team in the standing is picking up a sympathy point in the OT/Shootout bonanza. Montreal was benefactors of this the past couple years keeping us in the playoff position. We need to get out of the chasing position in the standing and up into the top 8 sooner than later.

• TommyB says:

No doubt about it that moving up sooner, rather than later, would be desirable. I’m just saying it’s still way too early to try to predict playoff seedings. Montreal is just one team out of fifteen. Of those fifteen, eight will be in the playoffs. Montreal currently sits 12th, three points out of 8th. So much hockey to be played, by all teams.

• J_P says:

The loser point definitely makes things a lot harder on teams trying to play catch up.

I wish the NHL had an actual 3 point system. Right now its a two point system with a point that magically appears out of nowhere for the loser. I understand that they gave the loser point because the shootout was a bit of a taboo subject when they first adopted it, but now teams actually practice the shootout, and its part of the game. Either it should be 2 points for a win, and no loser point, or it should be 3 points for a regulation win, 2 for OT/SO win, and 1 for OT/SO loss. At least in the 3 points for a regulation win model, there’s always 3 points up for grabs.

My two cents.

Absolutely agree, seems like a simple and logical way to do it. I guess that is why we don’t see it happening.

• habs001 says:

i agree it is not a concern yet but as i posted that if after the end of november after 25 games we are still 12th it would not be panic time but would be way more of a concern…next 12 ..6 on the road and 6 away…

• TommyB says:

Yeah, fair enough.

• habs001 says:

also if we are 12th after 25 games there is lots of time to move up but management would have to question is it a coaching or talent issue…you would have to think if we are 12th after 25 games there would have to be moves made…

• TommyB says:

I think management is already quietly looking at those issues, both players and coaching. I read an interesting quote the other day from Calgary’s GM. He said he has had some serious talks with some of the other GMs in the league, but then all of a sudden they go on a 3 or 4 game winning streak and talks die down. I thought the 3 or 4 game winning streak was an arrow pointing directly at the Habs, given the timing of that statement. Coincidence?

55. TommyB says:

I’m sure all the referee issues were discussed in full yesterday. I didn’t have much time to sift through everything, so I don’t know if this was part of that discussion yesterday, so here is one thing that really stands out as a complete puzzlement to me…..How is it that PK gets an unsportsmanlike for giving Lundquist a snow shower, yet just last week in a shootout Briere did exactly that, and not only was it not unsportsmanlike, but it was a good goal. WTF? The inconsistencies of NHL officiating, and the official explanations of such instances, are becoming more of a joke every year.

• G-Man says:

On a penalty shot, the skater is not allowed to stop. Briere did. Should have been no goal.

___________________________________________________

When in doubt, blame PP.

• TommyB says:

Yeah, I don’t think there is any argument there. Absolutely agree with you. The point I was making wasn’t whether or not that should have been a goal. The snow shower! How can it be an unsportmanlike in one instance, and not in the case of Briere’s shootout goal?

56. Chris says:

By the way, if anybody is in the Belleville area, try to catch a Bulls game at some point. Shayne Corson is often at the games (his son Dylan plays for the Bulls) and he’s pretty free with his time in intermissions with fans.

I could not read the Gomez article, it was in French and there is not a way that I know, to put a translate on my Yahoo tool bar. Does anyone know how I could get a translate TOOL on my bar.

Thats not put very well, but I hope you get my meaning. IAN

58. slamtherimtim says:

Gomez should be limited to the 4th line until he proves otherwise, seems like the habs played well without him , and he probaly shouldnt play anyway , but if they start losing again , and he aint producing he has to be dumped in the minors , just to show the other palyers what is going to happen when you dont want to play
    thanks

• slamtherimtim says:

this guy is such a joke , he will do anything to get noticed , he never took anything , WHAT EVER , nothing but a RAT

• avatar_58 says:

And yet I still know people who defend this jackass.

Seriously shut the hell the up George. I’m tired of hearing from this guy

• Chris says:

I’ll defend him. You said last night that you hate censorship.

Laraque is exerting his right to free speech, and he did not name anybody. He’s pointing out that there is a problem in the sport, and I have no problem with that.

• G-Man says:

Only censorship that jibes with his sensibilities! :)

_____________________________________________________

When in doubt, blame PP.

• Chris says:

One of my housemates in undergrad was a junior teammate of a long-time, fairly prominent NHL’er. He swore that half his team, including that guy, had been using steroids throughout junior hockey.

Given just how much of a sham NHL testing is, I wouldn’t be shocked at all to see that there are some issues. And Laraque is bang on when he asserts that HGH would be abused if it is not being tested for…for an aerobic sport like hockey, being able to recover quicker would be a huge advantage. Skating and cycling are often interlinked, and the cyclists have been getting into HGH for over a decade now.

Yup, I have no doubts that Laraque is correct in his assessment. It is foolishness to believe that despite Steroids permeating all other sports in North America and elsewhere that somehow Hockey would be free of such cheating. It is everywhere, the fact it is becoming a problem in High School only shows that lower level sports are using, why wouldn’t the elite players of Junior Hockey and Pro Level.

• Tony McLean says:

Well after all he’s done a lot of research and it’s all been checked, verified and is all there in the book.

He’s also proven Global Warming is anthropogenic, cured cancer, taught us animals are not as delicious as we think and still finds time to deliver 12,000 copies of Allo Police every week by hand.
          ——————————–
          Bring Larry Robinson home.

59. G-Man says:

+ 2011- What year is it that Cherry is stuck in again? 1950?

_____________________________________________________

When in doubt, blame PP.

60. DearyLeary says:

Only way to fight it is if ratings/views go down. I watch standard def RDS instead of high def CBC and I’m ok with that.

61. HabFanSince72 says:

A minor point: i doubt that our tax dollars pay Don Cherry’s salary.

62. avatar_58 says:

“He’s Archie Bunker wearing Archie Bunker’s chair”

Haha I love it

Yah, while I conceptually agree with Nahlsy about us paying him, truth is that Coach’s Corner as part of HNIC is actually one of the more profitable elements of the CBC. I suspect this is a dilemma for the CBC.

Yup, he was good for the Habs on the ice, his off ice character is less than desireable. He and his brother-in-law Darcy are quite the duo in town.

65. ths says:

Thats true I once met a girl who grew up with him in Barrie. He was quite the wild one and him and Chelly in Montreal were quite the pair

66. mrhabby says:

yawn..the more we pay attention to the old fart the more he loves it…can we just ignore the old guy.