Canadiens acquire homeboy Jonathan Drouin in exchange for Mikhail Sergachev

STU COWAN

Jonathan Drouin was supposed to play golf with some buddies on Thursday, but that never happened.

En route to the course, Drouin got a phone call from his agent, Allan Walsh, informing him he had been traded from the Tampa Bay Lightning to the Canadiens in exchange for defenceman Mikhail Sergachev. A call from Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin came shortly afterward and at 5:45 p.m. Drouin was at the Bell Centre wearing a new Habs jersey with his name and No. 72 on the back for his first news conference with the team.

Bergevin announced he had signed the 22-year-old left-winger to a six-year contract reported to be worth US$33 million that runs through the 2022-23 season at an average of $5.5 million per year. The Canadiens also dealt a conditional second-round pick at the 2018 NHL draft to the Lightning, while Tampa Bay sent back a conditional sixth-round pick in 2018.

Drouin will definitely bring some much-needed offence to Montreal after posting 21-32-53 totals in 73 games last season with the Lightning, which would have ranked third on the Canadiens in scoring behind Max Pacioretty (35-32-67) and Alexander Radulov (18-36-54). On the downside, Drouin was a team-worst minus-13 with the Lightning.

For Drouin, who grew up in Sainte-Foy and played midget hockey for the Lac St. Louis Lions on the West Island of Montreal, this is a homecoming and as a francophone from Quebec he will be playing under a very bright spotlight with the Canadiens.

“There’s obviously the pressure of playing in Montreal … everybody knows that,” Drouin said. “But for me as a player, I think I’d rather have that pressure on myself than some other places. I’m a French-Canadian and I like pressure … I like that stuff. I’ve played at the Bell Centre many times as an away guy and just to be on the home side is going to be even better.

“It’s still surreal,” added the 5-foot-11, 188-pounder, who also spent some time at centre and right wing with the Lightning and played centre during his final season of junior with the Halifax Mooseheads, when he posted 29-79-108 totals in 46 games. “Obviously, I’m a hometown boy and sometimes you don’t really think that day’s going to happen where I’ll actually be playing for the Canadiens. Like I said, it’s just really surreal still. I’m still kind of in shock that it actually happened.”

Bergevin said he had talks with Lightning GM Steve Yzerman during the 2015-16 season about acquiring Drouin after the player requested a trade and then briefly left the team following a demotion to the AHL’s Syracuse Crunch and was suspended. Bergevin added he spent the last two weeks working out this deal in exchange for Sergachev before it was finalized, saying: “I’m sure it was not easy for Stevie to let Jonathan go.

Bergevin added it was also a tough decision for him.

“We drafted (Sergachev) last year ninth overall, but again I’m turning back to Jonathan,” the GM said. “To get a young player in his calibre it’s something as an organization we couldn’t have passed by.”

Sergachev, the Canadiens’ first-round pick (ninth overall) at last year’s NHL draft, was pointless in four games with the Canadiens this season and posted 10-33-43 totals in 50 regular-season games with the OHL’s Windsor Spitfires before helping them win the Memorial Cup.

Bergevin said he tried to call Sergachev, who is back home in Russia, to inform him of the trade Thursday, but couldn’t reach him so he spoke with the player’s agent first. The GM said Sergachev later called him back and Bergevin told the player it was a tough decision and wished him the best.

“He was really good about it,” Bergevin said.

Sergachev responded to a text message from HIO asking for an interview on his thoughts after the trade was announced with: “Maybe later.”

He then added: “Next week.”

Drouin said the first person he called after learning about the trade was his father. Then he had to let his buddies know he wouldn’t be golfing with them.

“I cancelled my golf game today, but this is still better than any golf,” Drouin said.

(Photo: Christinne Muschi/Montreal Gazette)

• Bergevin hoping Drouin can provide quick fix to offence, by Stu Cowan

• Drouin’s midget coach calls him a “hockey savant”, by Stu Cowan

• What the Puck: Bergevin still needs two centres, by Brendan Kelly

New contract for Charles Hudon

The Canadiens also announced Thursday afternoon that they have agreed to terms on a two-year contract with forward Charles Hudon that runs through the 2018-19 season. The Canadiens originally announced it was a two-year, one-way extension, but later corrected it to the first year of the extension being a two-way deal, while the second year is one-way. The deal is worth a total of US$1.3 million, according to CapFriendly.com.

Hudon, a 5-foot-10, 195-pounder, was selected by the Canadiens in the fifth round (122nd overall) of the 2012 NHL Draft. He posted 27-22-49 totals in 56 games this season with the AHL’s St. John’s IceCaps and had two assists in three games with the Canadiens.

No changes expected to coaching staff

Bergevin said he’s not planning any changes to the Canadiens’ coaching staff at the NHL level under Claude Julien.

As for Sylvain Lefebvre, head coach of the team’s AHL affiliate that will move to Laval next season from St. John’s, Bergevin said: “We are currently in talks.”

No update on contract talks with Radulov

Bergevin wouldn’t provide any update on contract talks with Alexander Radulov, who can become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

When asked if he could confirm a report that Radulov is asking for seven years on a new deal, Bergevin said: “All I could tell you, term in whatever I do with Alex, term will be very important. That’s all I could tell you.”

Andrei Markov, Brian Flynn and Dwight King can also become an unrestricted free agents on July 1, while Alex Galchenyuk, Nathan Beaulieu and Nikita Nesterov can become restricted free agents.

With Drouin’s new contract, the Canadiens now have $17 million in cap space left, according to CapFriendly.com.

Juulsen now top defence prospect

With Sergachev now gone to Tampa, Noah Juulsen becomes the Canadiens’ top defence prospect.

The 6-foot-3, 190-pounder was the Canadiens’ first-round pick (26th overall) at the 2015 NHL Draft. He posted 12-22-34 totals in 49 games this season with the WHL’s Everett Silvertips and was plus-15.

“We see him as a very, very good prospect,” Bergevin said. “Probably a second-paring guy that plays a solid game, responsible. At the end of the day, he could be a guy who is a matchup, plays 22-23 minutes a night. He still has to mature his body because he’s still lean. But very good kid, very bright, very focused.”

Bergevin said he was also impressed by the play of Brett Lernout this season with the IceCaps — where he had 3-13-16 totals in 74 games and was plus-5 — and in the two games the 6-foot-4, 213-pounder played with the Canadiens.

“I thought he played very well,” Bergevin said about the 21-year-old defenceman. “I know it’s a short sample. But since Christmas he has played very well down in St. John’s.”

2,623 Comments

1. dduncan says:

To PONCH’s comments yesterday re whether Beaulieu is top 4 material, he may not be a legitimate one now but he is slowly developing into one. On other teams he could be because he has solidified his defensive game now for a couple of years. It’s his offence that needs to be refined. This is the problem when a team brings in a new coach (Julien). He walks in and doesn’t know where a player is in his development and so he makes snap judgments that may or may not be right. Julien even dared to put Pleks on the power play in the playoffs after Therrien had seen enough to replace him with Danault.

2. Gerry Pigeon says:

I repent. I have sinned, uttered blasphemy.

Sign Carey to $10M for 8 years, he will lead us to the Holy Land!

Cap, shmap. The goalie is the most important position in hockey. You can’t get anything decent in return for Carey, so you may as well keep him. All goalies of his calibre eventually lead their teams to the Holy Grail. What other truisms can I remember uttered ad nauseum here?

Seriously, I love Carey, but anything north of $6M for a goalie isn’t a good use of the cap in my opinion.

Trade Carey while his value’s high, before he tweaks something again.

3. on2ndthought says:

newt red

4. krob1000 says:

Has to be a LD coming in….and a good one that they feel confident with over next several years….just hope if they are moving Chucky that it is not for this LD. IF moving Chucky it has to be for a comparable forward and re sign Rad or equivalent….if team trades Chucky for that D…then will need a whole whack of other moves to even be competitive.

• Claude Kane III says:

Depending how much stock you place in Brian Wilde, he seems to think there’s a deal in place with the Islanders for a D. Leddy or Hamonic seem the most likely. If it’s for Galchenyuk tho I hope there’s more involved. If all we do is replace Galchenyuk with a top 4 D then our offence is back to where it was before getting Drouin (and will be worse off than before if Rads doesn’t sign).

Up and Atom!

• krob1000 says:

LEddy comes at 5.5 million….comparable money to Chcuky…really hope hey don’t give up Chucky for Leddy…however, I would like to get Leddy!

5. Cee_8ch says:

I cling to the hope that a miracle happens and T.J. Oshie becomes a Hab. I regard him as not only a quality player but as having a high hockey IQ.

• on2ndthought says:

Bit on the small side, so doesn’t drive the play as well as Radulov; but very smart, very responsible and very dangerous. A coach’s dream.

6. SmartDog says:

ABOUT “FIVE QUESTIONS”

People sometimes say “I guess you’re looking for X answer”. I’m not. I never post a question because I want to hear a bunch of people confirm what I think. In fact I absolutely try to avoid posting questions where the answer is going to be obvious and unanimous. I want to hear opinions…. different ones (even if I disagree…. like you likely disagree with me). I think we all do. That’s the point.

And slightly relevant, in grad school I created and tested surveys designed for that purpose – to bring out a variety of answers. Which doesn’t mean I always succeed at it, but I try.

————————————-
    With Marc Bergevin’s leadership:
    The “C” stands for Cronyism.
    The “H” stands for Hubris.

7. SteverenO says:

Turns out the newest Hab is somewhat of a PP specialist. At 5 on 5 last season (in 997 minutes TOI) he scored a mediocre total of 9 goals.

Let’s put this into perspective; these players also had 9 even strength goals last season: Dwight King, Brendan Gallagher, and Andrew Shaw,

Drouin last season at even strength ( 5 on 5 ) 997 Minutes TOI (9 goals – 15 Assists = 24 Points

Zach Kassian last season at even strength: (862 minutes TOI) 8 goals 17 assists – 25 points

B. Gallagher last season at even strength: (806 minutes TOI) 9 Goals- 15 assists – 24 Points

In a season that everyone would say was a major disappointment for Gallagher he produced the same number of goals, assists, and points as did Drouin at even strength while playing 9 fewer games and 191 fewer minutes.

In fact, out of 188 NHL forwards that played more than 900 minutes of 5 on 5 hockey, no less than 134 of them had 24, or more, points.

It seems to me that unless the Habs do something drastic when it comes to fixing their PP, this may go down as one of the worst trades in recent memory. Speaking of the PP, I wonder who will play the point on the Habs PP this upcoming season.

The management of this team was not willing to play Beaulieu (who had proven to be more effective on the PP alongside Weber than was Markov) to improve their PP (and perhaps increase the value of an asset that they would soon trade) but they were willing, and have, traded a very promising potential future all-star defenceman, 1st round 9th overall pick, in the hopes of improving their PP production.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Are we going to have to sit through another season of Weber and Markov struggling to gain entry into the offensive zone with the man advantage?

The only thing I can say is “Oy Vey!”

regards,

Steve O.

• Habby_Haberton says:

I know you love Beaulieu but I doubt people will even remember this trade in 3 years.

• Captain aHab says:

But we need a better PP and we need a guy who elevates his game in the playoffs, which Drouin seemed to be able to do. Drouin is also 4 years younger than Gallagher and Kassian so he is likely still trending upwards while we have likely seen the best of Gallagher and Kassian.

His speed alone will scare the crap out of dmen and open up space. And he has amazing vision. This is why I would like for him to play for at least one year with Galchenyuk. Drouin could carry the puck in (which Galchenyuk sucks at) and look for Galchenyuk and his one-timer.

—————-
      Drop da puck already!

• thewatchman says:

Drouin also played with Brian boyle.

• B says:

5 on 5 goals scored last season:
      Drouin 9 in 997:43 TOI (0.54/60min)
      Galchenyuk 7 in 791:30 TOI (0.53/60min)
      Radulov 8 in 1113.25 TOI (0.43/60min)

–Go Habs Go!–

8. Mmmich says:

The sudden willingness to part with defencemen could be related to the signing of this Jerabek fellow. Could he better than we know? Is he the top pairing defenceman who will play with Weber for years to come? He is only 26, which is when defencemen start coming into their own. He’s pegged as a good offensive defenceman, powerplay quarterback with great passing skills, but not the greatest shot.
    Bergevin has had success hiring from overseas with Radulov. Perhaps this has emboldened him, paving the way for moving both Beaulieu and Sergachev out.
    If not, we are pretty lean on defence.

• ColdComfort says:

I have no doubt this is part of what MB is thinking. He was the second allstar team in the KHL, no? Reports say a lot of teams were interested? We also forget Markov. I have to admit I love this guy so I’m biased. But he did have a good season for the most part.

Some posts suggest that MB thinks Benn is the third best D man in the organization. Fake news! Sad.

• Captain aHab says:

I’m sure it did. But I still think that MB will be trading Galchenyuk for a dman. He might be holding out for both a young forward and a young dman but if he can only have one, he’ll go with the dman. Let’s hope he gets a REALLY REALLY good young one and not a reclamation project. Galchenyuk was MB’s prized pick so I would think he’ll be more careful.

—————-
      Drop da puck already!

• on2ndthought says:

Bergevin is 1 for 2 from the K. Is Jerabek Sekac or Radulov?

• habsr4ever says:

ding ding ding ding!
      That is the correct answer and the writting was on the wall since that signing (who we didn’t have to put on our protected list).
      Shocked as to how much love N8 gets on here for a number 5/6 guy and how our GM is getting ripped for this decision. N8 was done here when he was benched in game 6. Claude simply had a enough of his inconsistent bone headed plays from when he got here.
      Bergy has it all planned out for the back-end just like any team does. They have a plan A and B and C. People think this mgmt group was born yesterday or something. Dudley and Mellanby and Carrier along with Bergy are no dummies. Way too much experience here.
      Weber, Markov, Jerabek, Petry, Benn, Davidson, and who knows who we land in a trade or get in the UFA season or which prospect has a great training camp and forces our hands at keeping him up. We are going to lose Davidson or a forward. Whoopdie doo. Sure I like Davidson and it will suck if we lose him but he is a 5 or 6 guy. We will be just fine without him. And remember we traded DD for Davidson so why are we so upset here? Pretty sure we would ALL be happy had we only lost DD in the expansion draft. As Price said a few years back people need to CHILL. Let’s commend Bergy for getting Davidson in the first place for DD. What a trade yet again. Does he ever lose a trade? In Bergy I trust.

• Mmmich says:

I agree with your comments. Bergevin and friends get slammed constantly for any number of egregious mistakes, from moves that appear unplanned and badly thought out, to having no vision, to mortgaging the team’s future, to not mortgaging the team’s future, for making trades, for not making trades etc. etc. etc. People need to have a little more faith in these people. Contrary to what information is available to us and the limited analysis we can make of it, Bergevin has a whole staff with the one and only purpose of making an NHL hockey team better. While we post things on here for half an hour a day, and make trades that we could be made on Playstation, or look at “advanced stats” in a vacuum, they spend every day breaking everything down and looking at all aspects.

When Beaulieu gets traded for a third, we can only speculate as to why. We know some of the reasons, but we definitely don’t know all of the reasons. I am pretty sure that when the decision is made, it is not made lightly nor is it a knee-jerk decision.

Overall, Bergevin has proven to be quite unpredictable, and seems to surprise all of us repeatedly. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t. But whatever he does it rarely seems to be what the fans suggest.

One aspect of which we are completely unaware at this time relates to what the management was planning and what they had in the works at the time of the Beaulieu and Sergachev trades. You see, they knew what they were planning, and considered those two trades to be required or reasonable. We don’t yet know what is in the works. Perhaps it will all make sense come July 1st. Slamming Bergevin now is basically worthless, fun as it may be!

9. CowanS says:

So what do you think, does PK score 10 goals next season?

10. DipsyDoodler says:

Beaulieu and Tinordi didn’t fail – they just had bad teachers.

Dumbest H I/O meme ever.

—–

• Mmmich says:

If players fail, it’s on them.

When Beaulieu was put on the top defence pairing with Shea Weber, he was given a golden opportunity which the organisation thought he could handle. He couldn’t. By the end of the year he was a healthy scratch. I don’t agree with the trade. I wish they’d have kept him and protected him over Benn, if only for his potential. But clearly he had lost the confidence of the coach and the organisation.

• Captain aHab says:

I didn’t think he did that badly with Weber actually. He played well for a few games, then had a bad couple of periods, was taken off and never put back (I think, although he may have gone back for a short period). I’m almost 100% certain that he was not traded for his play but for the off-ice stuff.

But this organization has waaaaaaaaaaay more tolerance for veteran on-ice mistakes than for youth on-ice mistakes. And they keep blocking youth with puds. This really goes against MB’s proclamation that if youth forces their hands, they’ll make space and that you build through the draft. Not sure what Hudon had more to do in the AHL to force their hands last year when the team was absolutely starved for offence. Instead of clearing space for him, they went out and hired some untalented slabs of beef.

—————-
        Drop da puck already!

• ColdComfort says:

Yep. So is blaming your parents for your screw-ups in life. What would be the reaction if Nate or Tiny gave a tearful interview blaming MT or JJD? And I don’t think Nate failed. He’s an NHLer. Bottom to middle pairing D man. Not bad.

• habsr4ever says:

Nope – they simply were not very good. There were reasons N8 dropped in that draft. Timmins took a chance and rolled snake eyes. Tinordi was also drafted too high but I understood why Timmins took a chance. I didn’t like moving up like that to grab him (didn’t we give up our second rounder that year) then. Always hate moving up like that…..unless LATE rounds. Rather move down vs moving up when you draft late in the first round. Regardless – its on the players who were over rated to begin with. Typical first round players who didn’t live up to the billing. N8 is an NHL dman but he is a bottom pairing guy. Tinordi is a solid AHL dman and a number 7/8 guy nothing more. On THEM certainly more than our mis-management of the player. We can argue we made a mistake in drafting them in the first round for sure but let’s not be blaming our development of these players.

11. SmartDog says:

5 QUESTIONS
    1. Would you have protected Shawn or Hudon? (Or…?)
    2. Who does Vegas take from our roster (if anyone)? Likely players available include: Plekanec, DLR, Carr, Mitchell, Emelin, Hudon.
    3. How will Beaulieu do in Buffalo?
    4. What is Bergevin’s best, most important single move for the strength of the Habs in his 5 years?
    5. What has been Bergevin’s most destructive move to this franchise?

SD
    ————————————-
    With Marc Bergevin’s leadership:
    The “C” stands for Cronyism.
    The “H” stands for Hubris.

• Cal says:

1. I don’t think either of these 2 would have been chosen by McPhee, so this is a wash. Protecting Benn was my WTF moment.
      2. Montoya- as long as they take Fleury for the #1.
      3. 45 points and big minutes.
      4. Drouin.
      5. PK.

• Phil C says:

1. I would be happy to get oout from under Shaw’s contract. He is small and not that fast.

2. Almost impossible to predictas it depends who they take on other teams, but I think they sign Radulov.

3. I think he will be a dependable top four guy on the ice. Notbsure about off ice issues.

4. Drouin for sure.

5. Hiring Therrien.

• SmartDog says:

Ding, ding, ding. #5 has to be the winner. Destructive guy… big mistake and we’ll be a long time getting over it.

————————————-
        With Marc Bergevin’s leadership:
        The “C” stands for Cronyism.
        The “H” stands for Hubris.

• ColdComfort says:

You’ve been inhaling again haven’t you? What’s to get over? You go out and play hockey. Are they suffering from PTSD? Go to war. That effects you long term. Your last hockey coach doesn’t.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

CC are you denying the time it takes to deconstruct a sports team after they have been immersed in a particular system/process, mind-set/culture over several seasons?

Those first few practices and games following a significant change of coach will often exhibit signs of liberation and a fresh start. But that’s at an initial and superficial level. I wonder do you underestimate the time and commitment it can take for individuals and for a team collectively to adjust to the new circumstances, especially after a regime as negative as Therrien’s.

• toneez says:

Mike I’m with you , the negativity and poison that was in the room for the past 5 years will definitely be difficult to get over along with the shoving under the bus that ruined careers that MT mismanaged, and even worse was the loyalty toward MT that MB showed that was the killer because it took him 5 Years and losing PK to finally realize where the Poison was coming from , fortunately he’s gone and we can now move on and I am sure we will see a different attitude with the Habs …Thankfully
            Many Cheers !!!

All Habs all the Time

• knob says:

1. Hudon but only because I hate the fact that Shaw got such a long term contract.
      2. Probably Plekanec. He has no NMC conditions on his contract and only has one year left. I assume that they would trade him at the deadline to a contender.
      3. I think that Nate will fill out as a top 4 defenceman.
      4. I haven’t really seen him do anything that will have a lasting positive impact for the team. He did good in acquiring Vanek and signing Radulov. Everything else has been either a lateral move or improvements in the pud group.
      5. I wouldn’t that he has done anything destructive, yet. Waiting to see what he does with Galchenyuk. If anything, he hangs on to vets way too long. The NHL is a young man’s game now.

in all thy sons command

• marvin20 says:

1. shaw
      2 Plekanec or Emelin
      3 who cares he is their headache now
      4 not making a panic trade managing the cap, not making a bad trade yet
      5 keeping the last coach about 6 months to long and hiring MT “lite” in Julien.

• Max_a_million says:

1. I like Hudon better than Habs brass does. If I signed Shaw for the money and term that they did, I would protect Shaw.
      2. Really depends on where and how they spend money. Plekanec eats cap, and is movable at the deadline for a further asset, and is an expensive place holder.
      3. Beaulieu will be a very good top 4, Housley is a better coach for defencemen.
      4. Radulov
      5. Having NHL and AHL coaches who suck at developing talent. We keep turning 1st round picks into nothing, doesn’t bode well for someone who preaches growth through the draft.

• 123456 says:

1 Hudon – something about Shaw’s contract I don’t like
      2 Pleks (yes our prayers have been answered)
      3 Very well
      4 Rads – without him last season would have been crap
      5 MT

• huge_polar_bear says:

1- Hudon hands down, I like Shaw but his contract is a little too inflated and he has a propensity to get concussions.
      2- I would like then to take Plecky and his contract off our hands, but most likely DLR
      3- Beaulieu will prove that he is a 5-6 D-Man in the NHL
      4- Drouin (or if he manages to sign Price for under 9.5 million a year)
      5- Not having a full time general manager for the AHL team who would focus on the AHL team and would have as his only focus to prepare players for the NHL

—————————————
      Normal people worry me…

• Old Bald Bird says:

1. Shaw or Hudon? (Or…?)

I would be tempted to say, Hudon, but since he’s only played a few games, I can’t fault the Shaw choice.

2. I think LV should take Hudon or JDLR, but I don’t know if they will or not. I think JDLR will likely turn out to be the better player.

3. Beaulieu has talent and wheels. He should now have a great incentive to improve his weaknesses. He is also getting older and should mature more, so I think he could possibly do quite well. Better coach too.

4. Bergevin’s best moves have been Rads and Drouin. Although finally firing MT might turn out to be tops. I’m still leery about CJ though.

5. What has been Bergevin’s most destructive move to this franchise?

This is a loaded question, and I am guessing you want the answer to be PK, and that may turn out to be correct. However, it seems to me that his general weakness has been in giving contracts that are too rich and long: eg. Emmy and Pleks. I won’t count Shaw because I can see why he had to do that — couldn’t lose an asset right after trading for him. I also question his loyalty to coaches from MT on down the line, but to say any of these decisions have been destructive is a stretch.

• ColdComfort says:

1. Shaw before Hudon of course. Why do you ask?
      2. Without a side deal to take Tomas’ contract off our hands I think Hudon.
      3. About the same as he did here.
      4. I have to pick one? Weber and Drewin involve giving up a lot so going in that direction is difficult to call. I would say the last three summers of rebuilding the talent at forward. Panarin he missed. Radu he got. Drouin he got.
      5. Not hiring Henrik___ as a fashion advisor.

My turn: Would you give LV a first rounder to take Tomas? Second?

• stmarys says:

1. Huron: go with youth, speed.
      2. Signs Rads as UFA — best player, IMO
      3. Good, nothing extraordinary.
      4. Hiring Stephane Waite
      5. Hanging on to MT

“…caught up in his paraphernalia” Danny Gallivan

• habsr4ever says:

Shaw is a two time Cup champion and is a GREAT hockey player. Why would we NOT protect him is the question Sheesh. Hudon over Shaw – really? NOT a chance what so ever that was ever going to happen.

• habstrinifan says:

1:Hudon.
      2:Hudon or Emelin
      3: Very well.. will meet his potential which is say like that Rangers DMAN
      whom Messier replaced as captain….with chemistry ramifications(sorry
      re the editorial)
      4:None.. re players …maybe enlarging personnel infrastructure
      5: This is so easy. And it is so easy because it had and will continue
      to have devastating impact on this team and its reputation.
      NOT DISMISSING THERRIEN. Hiring Therrien could be viewed as
      just a plain old coaching decision error.. but taking all the evidence
      of the 2015-2016 season; understanding the dynamics of a team
      and simply being realistic about the unfathomable disaster, based
      on sheer numbers… there was NO REASON to NOT make a
      change. The abruptness of Therrien’s eventual firing only served to
      drive home the mistake made in retaining him.

• Kythehabsfan says:

1. Hudon. But if I am Bergy I need to protect Shaw to save face.
      2. Hudon. Emelin or Pleks for a 2nd and a 3rd.
      3. Top 4 and 1st wave PP. 35 – 45 points.
      4. Rads. Can’t say Drouin yet but it could be down the road.
      5. MT v2

12. Forum Dog says:

Been out of the country without wifi, so this is news to me. Great to add a legit young scoring forward. Sergachev is a high price, but they need the help up front more than they do on defence. At least in the short-term….

Hopefully this doesn’t mean the end of Galchenyuk in MTL. If they can get both these guys under long-term contract for around $11M, that will be a good, good thing. If it comes down Galchenyuk or Radulov, I’d let the latter walk. Stay young.

MB must have ultimate confidence in the scouting staff. Signing Drouin to a 6-year/$33M contract is bold, considering that they haven’t made the same progress with Galchenyuk who, for all the complaints against him, has outperformed Drouin for much of his young career. At least on a pro-rata basis.

The only way I’d trade Galchenyuk now is if it brough a high-end d-man with years ahead to play with Weber. Otherwise I’d commit to developing him at centre and let these two guys run a bit wild.

13. on2ndthought says:

If we can sign Radulov, I’ll be feeling pretty comfortable heading into next season, no matter what happens with Galchenyuk.

If not, MB will have to overpay for an Oshie, a Stafford, even Vrbata or Eaves.

With Drouin our Kane, and Radulov our Hossa; it would be acceptable to trade Galchenyuk for a Toews-type. My draft crush from last year, Michael McLeod, is too young to assume the role; but is the type of player that could be useful.

Could we get Reinhart out of Buffalo? More of a center playing out of position, less flash. Galchenyuk can complete the party boys on the Sabres, play right wing with Eichel and Nylander/Kane..

14. huge_polar_bear says:

Drouin thanked the Lightning for their help in making him a better player. I wonder if Beaulieu will thank the Habs for making him a better player?

—————————————
    Normal people worry me…

• habsfan0 says:

His gratitude will be directed solely at MT.
      Just like PK.

• ColdComfort says:

He was given every opportunity in Montreal.

• SmartDog says:

“There are no failed students, only failed teachers.”

Okay, I don’t believe that 100%. There can be failed students. But the power is mostly in the hands of the teachers.

The public criticism of players, made “acceptable” (or at least commonplace) by Michel Therrien, is not good for player development specifically or player relations in general. It’s surely part of the reason MT had no other offers while he sat on the big puffy chair on L’Antichambre, and why he has had no offers since he left Montreal.

That CJ dog-housed Beaulieu so quickly and almost certainly agreed to let him go for next to nothing is a failure on his part. That Bergie didn’t play his overall situation better to get more for him one way or another is a failure on his part. Poor asset management. Bergie seems to be good at selling low.

————————————-
        With Marc Bergevin’s leadership:
        The “C” stands for Cronyism.
        The “H” stands for Hubris.

• Cal says:

And was thrown under the bus at every opportunity.
        Coaches and GMs should agree that you don’t denigrate your assets publicly. It lessens their perceived value.
        No one plays a “perfect” game. There are always flaws. Beaulieu will be better off where a Housley can work with him, instead of a JJD that has no clue.

• SmartDog says:

The Bergevin era is turning into the era of tossing weight out of a falling plane.

————————————-
          With Marc Bergevin’s leadership:
          The “C” stands for Cronyism.
          The “H” stands for Hubris.

• marvin20 says:

or MB will be proven correct and n8 will be found in a dumpster on trade dead line day 🙂

• boing007 says:

Right. Phil Housley never made a mistake in his career, he played perfect defensive hockey from beginning to the end.

Richard R

• habsr4ever says:

You guys all said the same about Tinordi and Pateryn and on and on and now N8. Thanks for the tip on nobody plays a perfect game. N8 played a perfect 2 out of 10 when he played. You never knew what he was going to be each shift. He could be GREAT one shift but then he was awful the very next shift. How can ANY coach trust putting him out there. Its not like he is rookie or something. It was time to cut bait on this player. No ifs ands or buts about it. Thankfully we got a third rounder for this guy. Take it and run and move forward without this guy. Wish him luck in Buffalo as he does seem like a nice kid. I hope he turns his career around. Off ice issues didn’t help him either. I would take Benn and Davidson over N8 any day of the week.

• habsguru says:

every opportunity?

Nate could/would skate, hit, shoot, fight if needed, decent breakout, added some offense, good size, and was solid on transition defense. where he struggled was zone D, which is largely on the coach/system to straighten out. if he couldn’t adapt, then the system needed to adapt or simplify.

15. Cal says:

Galchenyuk. I still think he’s gone by this weekend’s Draft. If so, Radulov must be signed. I get the feeling he wants out. After years of the “DD is taking my spot” show, it’s morphed into Danault taking that spot. Woohoo, more 3rd line centers playing 1st line minutes. Exactly at the same place the Habs were in 2012. That’s progress, Bergy style.

• 123456 says:

Unfortunately I agree with the part of Chucky wanting out. Total guess of course but if I had his talent I’d want consistent first line duty.

• habsfan0 says:

It speaks volumes that up until a few months ago, DD was taking up major time on the Habs #1 PP line.
      Now, not only is he gone, but his subsequent team, the Oilers, have left him unprotected.

• The ice ghost says:

Bergy reminds me of a goldfish swimming in a circle, whistling, happy, thinking about how pretty he is.

16. SmartDog says:

When’s the next step in the Las Vegas extortion expansion draft?

————————————-
    With Marc Bergevin’s leadership:
    The “C” stands for Cronyism.
    The “H” stands for Hubris.

• Cal says:

Between the 18th and the 20th, Vegas makes their picks. On the 21st at the NHL Awards Show, these picks are announced. Then, it’s back to our regularly scheduled programming with Draft Weekend and Canada’s National Holiday aka UFA Day.

17. DipsyDoodler says:

I don’t understand how anyone can think Hudon is a better choice for protection than Shaw.

Hudon is 22 and has not made it yet. By way of comparison, Jonathan Drouin is 22.

Hudon’s AHL stats are the equal of Sven Andrighetto’s. He is probably not the next Martin St.Louis.

Shaw is a proven NHLer, and was quite good for us at the time he got Krugged.

OK, you might want to think outside the box and protect Hudon and expose Shaw – but not doing so is moronic??? Really?
    —–

• Cal says:

Shaw’s best days may already be behind him. As a 3rd liner with Chicago who could provide a spark to lines with stars Kane and/or Toews, he was a valuable asset. With Montreal, well, he’s already been conked twice. I just hope for his well being after hockey because of these hits.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Simple. They think LV will not touch Shaw’s contract so you’re better off protecting the young scoring prospect than a player who they think is not going to be picked. Their argument is a valid one. 3rd liners with 5 year deals are not desirable contracts. I protected Shaw on my list but the more I look at it, I am starting to agree with them. LV would only take Shaw if someone asked to trade for him. LV wouldn’t because Shaw is worth less than the two 2nd rounders the Habs gave up. Now the Habs are risking losing a scoring prospect they have developed for 3 years and the team can’t score.

• SmartDog says:

Add to that a) how scarce goal scorers are in this franchise and b) that in his one year here Shaw has had two concussions c) he’s on a long term contract where he’s at least slightly overpaid and d) in our short play-offs, the only sample available, he was not the firestarter we wanted.

If you protect him you’re doing it on reputation and hope. Not on performance or long-term vision.

————————————-
        With Marc Bergevin’s leadership:
        The “C” stands for Cronyism.
        The “H” stands for Hubris.

• kalevine says:

slightly overpaid? He was worth 2 million even as advertised, and he hasn’t delivered at all because Bergevin, like every Habs GM before him, thinks he can pluck a complementary piece out from a championship team and the championship will follow. I’m so fed up with that sort of inside the box thinking

• SmartDog says:

I said “at least slightly overpaid” to avoid argument. In my view he’s a 2.5 million guy. And even at that I don’t think I’d want him on my team because he’s too small to play the role he plays, and a wing nut. Compare him to Gallagher for example, who plays similarly but is not a loose cannon and takes his hits trying to score goals, not flying around taking bad penalties and getting in fights.

————————————-
            With Marc Bergevin’s leadership:
            The “C” stands for Cronyism.
            The “H” stands for Hubris.

• kalevine says:

yes, my apologies.
            Perhaps 2.5 mill for what he brought, but he was worth about 1 mill in his first year as a Hab and, like some others here, I fear that value will decline each year

• The ice ghost says:

We didn’t need to protect Shaw because who would want him? An over rated 3rd line pud with 6 year term (5 left, I guess) and too much money?

Oh yeah, let’s protect this guy.

18. truebluehab says:

Bill Osmond I think the Habs should take a chance on signing Chris Neal and getting rid of Shaw.

• 123456 says:

My son asked me yesterday who Neal was and I tried to explain his style – I ultimately said he’s like Shaw.

• Cal says:

You’d think Hab fans would learn the lessons provided by Parros and Laracque. So, in case there’s any doubt left, let’s just say no to over the hill fighters, okay?
      They only came to Montreal because the GMs were foolish enough to sign them.

19. Butterface says:

Drouin was a good deal for both teams. I like this trade better than the previous blockbuster. I do however hope that it was not making up for the loss of Radu and/or Galchenyuk.

I think Galchenyuk needs to stay with us. We need the perceived offensive threat. Hoping the rumours are false, unless it is a strong trade.

We need to sign Radu as well…. he is very important. Hoping the rumours of contract dispute is due to the vacuum of real news. We will know more when free agency opens. We knew Radu was not going to be signed until free agency opened. We took the chance of losing him to protect other contracted players. We did the same with Markov and yet I hear no one worried Markov won’t sign with us.

The 75 million cap helps us achieve these three very important signings.

We can stay under cap (barely) with:

Markov 1 year 4-4.5m
    Galchenyuk 5-6 years 5.5m
    Radu 5-6 years 6.5m

Then we take Pleks off the books next year to sign Price… and also that should help if we choose to sign Patches the year after…. Markov will likely hang them up in a couple of years thereby freeing up some cash.

Disappointed Shaw was protected over Hudon. Yes, Shaw is better than Hudon, but if we lost Shaw I would not have cried because of his head injuries and his cap hit. He is overpaid. LV likely would not have taken him. And if they did, great.

So now it is between Hudon and Davidson for who we lose.

Still thinking Davidson has more upside. So he is my guess.

“Expect the unexpected” has me hoping for something good.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

• Captain aHab says:

Maybe “expect the unexpected” could be Galchenyuk + something in return for a young dman and a young forward Vegas will have acquired?

Maybe they’re bringing DD back? Go Hershel Walker and trade their entire draft for the next 2 years to Jersey for Nolan Patrick, Adam Henrique and Kovalchuk’s rights?

Or maybe “expect the unexpected” was just the Drouin trade as MB pointed to Drouin when he said it.

—————-
      Drop da puck already!

• Butterface says:

Oh. I did not know he pointed at Drouin at the time. So now I am not expecting the unexpected. I am expecting the expected. MB will find us a 4th pairing dman. My summer will suck.

***********************
        If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
        ***********************

20. Captain aHab says:

About the “they had to protect him to show him how important he is to the team” angle, I thought that getting paid millions made that point pretty well already.

—————-
    Drop da puck already!

21. Mavid says:

110

Weed Wacker – and Flamethrower Grandma Smurf

• bel33 says:

I personally can’t get excited until it’s at least Gretzky day or less. 😉

Plus you can start singing “99 bottles of beer….. ” and drinking along. Almost there!

• Mavid says:

will be there soon enough

Weed Wacker – and Flamethrower Grandma Smurf

• on2ndthought says:

The percentage every hockey player gives every shift?

22. AndyF says:

Hey, it looks like HIO finally rented an extra couple of hamsters to power this website. Kudos to whoever decided that it needed fixing!

23. montreal ace says:

The cute and adorable traits some posters have, when they think they know more about hockey then Bergy is very interesting to me. Is there a magical elixir that gives people, the power to become so cute and adorable.

• RightNyder says:

While you’re searching, see if there’s a magic troll-erasing elixir, spread some all over yourself and see what happens.

Folks offer their thoughts, that’s all they are. You don’t have to like them. But why bother coming to a forum like this if you’re incapable of offering up a single well-reasoned opinion?

• montreal ace says:

Well aren’t you the cutest little bugger, I’m just going to say elixirs are meant to be liquids, that are consumed, not rubbed all over your body.

• SmartDog says:

“Today, (the word elixir) is often used generally for anything thought capable of remedying all ills or difficulties, be they physical or otherwise.”

More to the point, every coach and GM has blinds spots. Every coach and GM gets fired – ultimately for not performing up to standard at their job. This ‘hero worship’ of Bergevin is much, much more ridiculous than the belief that you can see his mistakes.

————————————-
          With Marc Bergevin’s leadership:
          The “C” stands for Cronyism.
          The “H” stands for Hubris.

• Lapointe says:

montreal ace I doubt many on here think they know more than MB but it is easy to see where he has made bad decisions. He just hasn’t done well as a GM unless your expectations are very low. You are fortunate to have been blessed with the massive wisdom that you seem to think you have. You are very cute and adorable. Good for you. Those are great attributes for a man.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Get a mirror.

It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. – Mark Twain

24. montreal ace says:

Shaws style of hockey did not get him hurt against the Bruins and NYR’s. Krug got him with a blindside hit, and against the rags it was a high hit into the glass. He got hurt in game 5 against the rags, we lost and in game 6, he did not play we lost. NYR’s had all the luck in that series, we carried the play and should have won that series.

• RightNyder says:

Doesn’t matter if it’s ‘his style’ or a cheap shot.

Because he’s always around the action, because it’s not in his nature to play scared, because he’s going to fight, he’s going to get hit in the head at some point. And because of that, and because of his concussion history, he’s higher-risk than others.

I hope it works out for him.

And “should have won” amounts to a giant hill of pre-flung dung from the natty deuce-tosser. We didn’t win.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

You can’t say a team should have won a series they lost in 6 games. That’s ludicrous.

• Reznor says:

Except that a hockey team has to be able to score goals to win. Luck is a lame excuse.

25. The ice ghost says:

Okay. Is it appropriate (choosing my words carefully) to pay the goalie on a mid-pack team $10 million dollars in a cap system.

I’m not going to fight over whether or not Cary Price is worth $10M (not even mentioning his sh*t playoff record). That’s not the question. Is it appropriate at this time and for this team?

• RightNyder says:

If you’re scraping barnacles without him, I’m willing to go out on a limb here and say the GM will think it’s appropriate.

Cap just went up $2M. If MB goes into pud rehab and doesn’t bring in a new fleet of extraneous fifth-liners, there’s plenty of room to give Price $8.6M per year, making him the league’s highest-paid goalie.

You earn your money in the regular season, so he’s worth it from that standpoint. I’d also say you cement your reputation in the playoffs, so I look forward to a signature run there as well.

Also, if you’re not paying Tomas Plekanec, David Desharnais and Alexei Emelin $13+ million, it’s a little easier to afford nice things.

• Captain aHab says:

I would not. Habs have goalie depth, one of the rare positions where they do. Trade one of the goalie prospects if you sign Price you say? People on here constantly say that you would not get much for Price so how much for McNiven? A 5th round pick?

You can’t start a rookie goalie in the NHL, you say? How about Matt Murray?

—————-
      Drop da puck already!

26. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Lord trump of the short fingered vulgarians, I will take that bet. I do think that vegas could repeat Florida’s run. You pay 500 million you expect to have an equal chance at success

27. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Seriously horse, shaw is not a hill you want to die on. Even the troll bot would exhort that.

As it stands, this is a team that misses the playoffs and hopefully the insurance kicks in on shaw and he retires with a boat load of money with his faculties intact.

Let’s not pretend … MB has squandered his inheritance and is trying to impress us with shiny toys. The MB has no clothes

28. RightNyder says:

Wonder how many UFAs Vegas will take?
    There have to be teams (Vancouver, etc.) that have zero players with any appeal, so why not just take Ryan Miller and not have to deal with an unwanted contract?
    I believe they have to take 20 guys under contract for next year, and can’t buy out anyone they select until next summer.

• roadrunner mep mep says:

Can anyone explane why Charles Hudon is on the no protection list as he plays in the AHL ? is this just another Bergevin screw up ?

29. Lord Stanley of Surrey says:

May I lay some bets?

Thank You.

I lay 2 to 1 odds, as things stand now, the Las Vegas Golden Knights will be playoff bound in 2017-2018.

Similarily, I lay 2 to 1 odds, as things stand now, the Habs will be looking in from the outside in April/May of 2018.

AnyOne here with loose change noisily jangling in Your pockets You wish to rid?

___________________________________________________________________________________
    FREE TIMO!!! …Michael (Timo) had his negative tongue-in-cheek shtick in HIO, but He never was profane and should never have been banned from HIO. If there is any discretion and fair-mindness within the powers that be behind the scenes of HIO, TIMO’s ban should be rescinded immediately. Thank you.

• RightNyder says:

I will gladly take the first bet, since ‘as it stands now’, they only have three players.

Given that, I’d say they’d be hard-pressed to be competitive.

Please donate my winnings to the Free Timo Fund.

• Lord Stanley of Surrey says:

‘As things stand now’ Las Vegas is GUARANTEED very good players that collectively quite a few NHL teams have spent years trying to acquire.

I accept nothing smaller than c-notes.

• RightNyder says:

They’re only guaranteed them if they pick them.

Though that’s definitely the way I’d go, McPhee may want to load up on futures and pick more puds than you’d think.

Put the money in the Timo jar…

• Lord Stanley of Surrey says:

US$ NOT C$!

• Dust says:

I’ll take that second bet for sure.
      Not sure what you see that makes you think this team will be significantly worse next year.

• on2ndthought says:

I’d take those odds (if I understand them. You wager 2, I wager 1?)

I don’t disagree with your premise; both teams will be in the mix for the 8th conference spot. But (if Price isn’t overused) I say we finish third in the Atlantic, LV 4th or 5th in the Pacific, but on the outside.

30. deggy24 says:

They all have guts Bwoar. You don’t play a year in the league without guts. The point is that if you are LV and Shaw was available the only reason you would take him is his rodeo/wwf style. In fact if the Habs left their entire roster unprotected Max would have got picked.
    And I think that is the point. We don’t have much.
    As it is the only guy they want is Rads. George has got himself a pretty good team without sideshow Shaw.
    For them and like most of the teams, it is about coaching your talent and having talent. Our GM up to the Drouin signing is not into talent Up to the coaches from here on in

31. bwoar says:

Thankfully Postmedia is all but done and this place is on its very last legs.

My man Andrew Shaw is going nowhere because he has actual guts, which half a handful of you might have on your best day. When the Dirty Champions hoist the Cup up for the CH you can be sure the Polite Participants and half-witted canines here at HIO will be the first people we take a digital horsedump on.

Today’s a good day and next week should be fun!

• RightNyder says:

All the guts in the world are no match for a mushy melon.
      I genuinely worry for a 5-10, 175-pounder who plays like he’s DNP-sized.

One of the things I most looked forward to last season was bringing aboard a kid with a little wingnut in him – and I especially looked forward to playoff Shaw.

The latter wasn’t much and now my biggest concern isn’t his lack of production or his cap hit, it’s for his personal well-being.

32. charmenian says:

would a gm be concerned about losing a player’s loyalty if said player wasn’t protected due to a long term & heavy contract? could mb look at shaw &/or weber in the eye next year & say it was business & nuthin’ else?

• 3 points for a win says:

Exactly what I was thinking of writing. I would have left Shaw unprotected knowing that MOST likely LV will not go after Shaw. His contract and on ice antics are not what LV would want. I would have instead protected Hudon. Habs have very few genuine prospects left.

Should have not traded N8 and most likely he would have been picked by LV. And if N8 was not picked by LV then trade him afterwards since we all know he was not coming back due to being a healthy scratch in the final game.

33. Ozmodiar says:

If Habs lose your favourite available forward in the expansion draft, put a little asterisk next to the drouin trade. 😉

34. SmartDog says:

The structure of this expansion draft is insane! It sounds like Las Vegas can pick up a boatload of draft picks for only promising not to do certain things (things they might not even want to do anyway).

It’s league-sanctioned extortion. Vegas could have a fantastic team in a few years when these picks mature or are used in trades.

————————————-
    With Marc Bergevin’s leadership:
    The “C” stands for Cronyism.
    The “H” stands for Hubris.

35. Habnormal says:

I get the feeling Pleks or Danault will be our 1C this upcoming season and Radulov will be gone?

36. kalevine says:

I sooooo hope Pleks is gone

37. CaSensLaCoupe says:

Maybe Bergy sends the 3rd rounder he got for Beaulieu, to Vegas to entice them to take a player the Habs don’t want anymore.

Or lose a player like Hudon and maybe find someone better with all the early picks they Habs have.

38. SmartDog says:

Wait a minute… Hudon is exposed to LV? While Shaw and his concussions and hefty contract is being protected?

WHAAATTTTT???? Bergie’s gone full foxhole again. The man’s a stubborn idiot.

————————————-
    With Marc Bergevin’s leadership:
    The “C” stands for Cronyism.
    The “H” stands for Hubris.

• kalevine says:

no sh*t Sherlock

• FlyAngler says:

With the Blackhawks, Shaws ppg average was higher in the playoffs than in the regular season. He had zero points this year in the series against the Rangers. I would have dumped the contract too, but am not sure that Vegas would pick it up……

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

• CaSensLaCoupe says:

Like it or not, Shaw is worth more than Hudon.

• 3 points for a win says:

I highly doubt that Shaw would have been picked by LV. MB probably had to protect him in order to show Shaw how important he is to the team.

• Wrec5 says:

Stubborn, maybe. Idiot, not. Calling him so is unfair and frankly, a little ignorant. You have no idea what he already has in place with LV, and others for that matter.

In his relatively short tenure MB has surprised us all many times already with some of the deals he’s done. I expect we’ll see more surprises in the next few days.

39. Habnormal says:

What would you ask in a contract if you are Galchenyuk? Here’s the problem MB has created. He signs a 21 goal scorer first for 5.5 long term. Galchenyuk already has a 30 goal season under his belt. He was NOT sent down to the minors like Drouin was 2 years ago. If I’m his agent I’m using Drouin as a starting point and demanding no less than 6 minimum per season, even 6.5 to 7. Perhaps that is why Galchenyuk is being mentioned in trade talks and purportedly being shopped around. You are not signing Galchenyuk to 4.5 or $5 million a season long term even with his dip
    These past few months. He’s not Shaw.

• Phil C says:

That’s why I think he’s gone. But if the trade value is not there, they may have to give him a deal.

I thought I read somewhere he was open to a one year “show me” deal. Then if he has a good season, they open the vault next year.

• Ozmodiar says:

Starting point probably 5.5m. Maybe an extra year?

History of injuries, I’m guessing he’d take that.

• FlyAngler says:

Drouin had an excellent playoffs when he was called up from Syracuse. Galchenyuk has yet to have anything approaching a stellar playoff performance. They are both #3 draft picks and Drouin doesn’t have the party life baggage that Chucky has. After last year, no way does he get $6.5 to $7M. I could see $5.5 and maybe 6, but that’s it…….

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

• on2ndthought says:

Nothing wrong with giving Chuck 6 x 6M. Someone will take him at that money if you decide to move him.

40. chilli says:

If we lose Hudon it will close the circle on so many wasted years ‘developing’ players we draft.
    It’s just insane.

And if we don’t sign Rads, oh man…
    Back to Pleckie and the gang for another long and painful year.

Wow does that suck.

• Phil C says:

That’s why I don’t get the Beaulieu trade. If Beaulieu wasn’t in the plans, then let him go in the expansion draft. The Habs wouldn’t be the only team losing a good player. Now we will lose another good player instead (like Hudon) and only have a 3rd rounder to show for it.

• Ozmodiar says:

Perhaps the expansion draft is a red herring and has little to do with it.

MB could know, from talking to GMcP, that VGN are going to take one of their forwards. N8 or no N8. Really, look at what’s available. Wouldn’t you?

So, the trade is just getting rid of an overstock of LD. emelin, benn, Davidson, marky (if returning). N8 needed a contract. More expensive than 2 of above. Possible off ice issues.

Perhaps not an expansion draft chess move at all.

• Phil C says:

Perhaps not, and it’s obvious he was not in the plans.

But the market was the worst just before the expansion draft. If you wait until after, there would be more teams who could take him (without having to protect him), and more players the Habs could take back (without having to protect them). Even start the year with him and wait until a team gets desperate. I don’t think the could have devalued him any more if they tried.

• Ozmodiar says:

Yes, not in the plans.

You gotta wonder … how valuable is a player not in the plans of this d-corps? They aren’t exactly the preds.

3rd Rd from a bottom feeder is not too bad. 2nds are the new 1sts. They’re the big trading chips now. 1sts are held on to. A 3rd is what Justin Schultz went for. Petry netted a 2nd, but he was a top pairing guy at the time.

I’ll take a 3rd for a guy who played himself into the press box.

• PK says:

Salt on the wound: look down the 401, see what the Leafs are doing.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552