Canadiens acquire John Scott as Jarred Tinordi goes to Coyotes; Alex Galchenyuk back on wing

Jared Boll, John Scott

STU COWAN
MONTREAL GAZETTE

The Canadiens have added an all-star to their roster.

But before you get too excited, that all-star is John Scott.

Scott, a 6-foot-8, 260-pound forward with one assist and 25 penalty minutes in 11 games this season with the Arizona Coyotes, was acquired by Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin on Friday afternoon, along with minor-league defenceman Victor Bartley, in exchange for defenceman Jarred Tinordi and minor-league forward Stefan Fournier. Scott will report to the Canadiens’ AHL farm team in St. John’s, while Bartley will join the Canadiens in St. Louis, where the play the Blues Saturday night (7 p.m., SN, TVA Sports, TSN Radio 690).

Scott was voted by fans — obviously with a sense of humour and/or mischief — as one of four captains for the NHL All-Star Game on Jan. 31 in Nashville, which will be a three-on-three tournament. If Scott stays in the AHL, the NHL could rule him inelegible for the All-Star Game.

P.K. Subban is the only other Canadien named to the All-Star Game.

The deal puts an end to the Tinordi saga that dragged on throughout the first half of the season as the former first-round draft pick was made a healthy scratch night after night, playing only three games for the Canadiens while being held pointless. He was sent to St. John’s for a conditioning stint at one point, picking up two assists in six games. Tinordi was selected 22nd overall at the 2010 NHL entry draft.

“We are fortunate to have a lot of depth on the blue line and for that reason it became difficult for Jarred to earn a regular spot on our roster,” Bergevin said in a statement released by the Canadiens Friday night. “He showed great professionalism and kept a positive attitude. We wish him the best of luck with his new organization.”

Bartley had one assist in 14 games this season with the AHL’s Milwaukee Admirals. He has played 112 NHL games with the Nashville Predators, scoring one goal and adding 22 assists.

“Victor Bartley, 27, is a defenceman with good size with over 100 games played at the NHL level,” Bergevin said. “He adds depth to the group of defencemen of our organization. Steady on the blue line he has shown at the junior and the AHL levels that he can also contribute offensively.”

As for Scott, Bergevin said: “At 33, John Scott is a seasoned veteran with 285 NHL games under his belt. He will be bring experience to our group of forwards with the IceCaps in St. John’s.”

While it doesn’t seem like much of a return for a former first-round draft pick, the deal was easier for Bergevin to make since Tinordi wasn’t his pick. Pierre Gauthier was general manager when the Canadiens selected the 6-foot-6 defenceman, who should now finally get a chance to play with the Coyotes.

When asked after practice last week if he had received any message from the Canadiens about what the future might hold for him, the 23-year-old Tinordi said: “No. Like I said, I’m just taking it one day at a time, working hard in practice. I thought I did a good job when I got my opportunity in there, played some strong hockey, so we’ll see what happens.

The focus now will be on whether Scott will play at the All-Star Game. He was voted in by fans as captain of the Pacific Division team, but the NHL and the Coyotes had asked him not to attend. He said he was going to play.

“It’s one of those things where I don’t want to be made a joke of, I don’t want to be an embarrassment, I don’t want to embarrass the game in that way,” Scott told Fox Sports Arizona’s Todd Walsh after being voted in as an all-star captain. “I talked to some people, I talked to a lot of former players and everyone just said ‘go have fun with it and it’ll be a good experience.’”

Scott has been a healthy scratch for most of the season and was even placed on waivers at one point by the Coyotes.

“I talked to a lot of guys in my position throughout the last few weeks and it’s kind of nice,” Scott said after the all-star announcement was made. “I’ve grinded out a career here. It’s not easy being the odd man out (or) the odd man in. You never know where you stand, you never know if you’re going to play or not, you get sent down, you’re a forward or (defenceman).

“It’s one of those things where it’s a grind and just to get a little recognition is fun. I hope all the guys, who have been in my position, can take a little grasp of this and say ‘we did something.’”

In 285 career NHL games, Scott has five goals, six assists and 542 penalty minutes.

As for Tinordi, he should now finally get a chance to play with the Coyotes.

“Long story short, we think he’s a young player with upside,” Coyotes general manager Don Maloney said on the team’s website. “Jarred’s style of play is attractive to us. I know the league is going to mobile and puck-moving (defencemen), but you still need somebody in front of the net to protect your goalie and somebody with a little jam to his game. That’s what he has.”

(Photo by Ross D. Franklin/The Associated Press)

• John Scott becomes latest character in As the Habs Turn, by Stu Cowan

Growing pains continue for Galchenyuk

What does Alex Galchenyuk have to do to become the No. 1 centre with the Canadiens?

That was one of the questions put to coach Michel Therrien following Friday’s optional skate in Brossard before the team headed to St. Louis.

Galchenyuk finished Thursday’s 3-1 loss to the Chicago Blackhawks at the Bell Centre playing at left wing on a line with David Desharnais at centre and Paul Byron on the right.

“For us, you got to make sure you’re really responsible,” Therrien said. “For him as a young centreman, depending against who you play — and he was playing with young kids, he was playing lots of time with Danny Carr or (Sven) Andrighetto — those are young kids.”

Carr and Andrighetto were both sent down to the AHL’s St. John’s IceCaps on Friday morning, while Jacob de la Rose was called up. Therrien explained that he wanted more size on his fourth line and de la Rose is 6-foot-3 and 214 pounds.

“It’s tough for young players to play against top players in the league,” Therrien said about Galchenyuk as a centreman. “So it’s a process. They got a lot of responsibility, but yesterday playing with Desharnais I felt a little bit less responsibility defensively and he could concentrate about trying to generate more offensively. I think they had good scoring chances in the third (period). I thought those two together they were good.”

Galchenyuk logged 16:21 of ice time and had four shots on goal. However, he really struggled in the faceoff circle, winning only two of nine faceoffs. Desharnais picked up an assist on Byron’s goal and logged 18:24 of ice time with two shots on goal.

“I really like what I saw from those two together, David and Chucky,” Therrien said. “Those two guys played together on the power play and yesterday we’re trying to push. I like what I saw. So we’re going to continue the experiment. I haven’t taken a final decision yet (as far as the lines for Saturday’s game) but we’ll see tomorrow.”

When asked about putting Galchenyuk back at centre on the No. 1 line with Max Pacioretty and Brendan Gallagher, Therrien said: “We tried the experiment for three games and, honestly, they didn’t have not one scoring chance.”

Mr. Positive

Dale Weise, who has been sidelined since suffering an upper-body injury during the Winter Classic on New Year’s Day (it’s to his right hand or wrist), took part in Friday’s optional practice and will be back in the lineup Saturday night if he gets medical clearance.

Weise was asked what he learned by watching the last four games from the press-box level.

“When you watch the game, everything looks extremely slow and everything looks extremely easy,” he said. “It’s easy to pick things apart. I see from a media’s perspective how you guys see the game now, it looks very easy.

“You can pick up some things when you watch the game,” he added. “When you get on the ice, things happen quite fast.”

But Weise added that he liked what he saw from his teammates Thursday night against the Blackhawks.

“I liked our last game … I liked the way we played last night,” said Weise, who has 11 goals and nine assists in 40 games this season. “I felt we played great. I thought second and third period the ice was tilted in our favour against a club like that, who’s obviously the hottest team in the NHL right now.

“You got to feel good about yourself,” Weise added. “You got to find ways to be positive and feel good about yourself in situations like this. Watching from the outside, I loved our effort yesterday. I thought we had some guys really step up and I thought we had good depth throughout everybody. I feel good about our game.”

With Friday’s player moves and with his status still uncertain, Weise was asked what the lines might look like against the Blues.

“I have absolutely no idea what the lines would be,” he said. “I think the only line that would be for sure is our top unit (of Max Paciorety, Tomas Plekanec and Brendan Gallagher), and I thought they played good yesterday. I think that’s the only line that would probably stay together. Other than that, I don’t know what the combos would be. We have a couple of guys coming and going.”

When asked if he’d like to be reunited with Desharnais and Tomas Fleischmann, Weise said: “I’d love to play with those guys, obviously.”

A little goalie advice?

With the Canadiens struggling to score goals — they’ve averaged less than two goals per game since Dec. 1 while posting a 5-14 record — Mike Condon was asked if he has given any scoring advice to his teammates from a goaltender’s perspective.

“Not really,” the 25-year-old rookie said. “I’ve only been in this league for four months now, so these guys have played in the NHL for a long time and I think everyone here is an accomplished goal-scorer in their own right. But sometimes if we see something, (goalie coach) Stéph Waite or Benner (goalie Ben Scrivens) or myself will give guys opinions on where we think goalies are vulnerable.”

Right now, any kind of advice might help.

1,343 Comments

1. Phil C says:

The headline is so misleading to suggest we traded for Scott. The deal was three #9 defensemen changing teams. The Habs go the most NHL ready defensman in Bartley and his name is not even in the headline. The Coyotes got the most upside and the most risk of a bust. They also have to keep him on their roster. Bartley and Elliot have already cleared waivers.

The Scott deal was about shedding salary for a budget team, not about keeping him out of the all-star game. I’m sure Bergevin doesn’t care about it one way or the other. It’s obviously a distraction that the Coyotes wanted to get rid of as well, and based on tbe comments here, it is already a distraction.

2. kamarad popov says:

Greetings,
    looooooong time reader but first-time poster. I love the community here, great infos from everywhere and a genuine wish to see the Habs do good. Why post today? Well, let’s just say that the trade last night made me go nuts. This combined to the latest catastrophic stretch.
    What kind of asset’s management is that? You can’t trade Tinordi, a first-rounder, for John Scott. Have mercy please. This is the Montréal Canadiens, not the Chibougamau’s Midget CC local team. I really really don’t understand what’s going on.
    When is is that we, the Habs, get promising first-rounders in exchange for Parros’ like players?

• marvin20 says:

Scott was not the only player Montreal got. Scott was a throw in so he can’t play in the all star game. Montreal is doing Tinordi a favour so he can play, Do you really think Scott is ever going to play for Montreal?

• Kooch7800 says:

no but it is a very crappy thing to do to someone. There was no reason to pick him up other than to screw him over. It isn’t right

• marvin20 says:

Who cares I forget the last time I watched the all star game. It sucks anyway

• Kooch7800 says:

I don’t care about the all star game either but Scott, who I am not a fan of, was voted in and there is money to be made at the game. Out of all the players going he could use it the most and now he got screwed over.

It is not right and I have lost a ton of respect for our GM in the process

• BJ says:

If the NHL don’t want fan participation in the NHL All-Star game selection, they should not have made that option available. I think its a humorous twist to have selected Scott and if enough fans took the trouble to vote for him, by all means let him go. The All-Star game is entertainment value only, you get to see the players in a non-competitive forum. The old All-Star games 50-60’s were wars of pride. Now its simply different.

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Ummmm…my son played for the Chibougamau local Midget BB team, we don’t have a CC team at Midget level. Just sayin.

3. habstrinifan says:

@Twilight…
    You are absolutely correct.

Mattyleg is great, hilarious and fun in person. Help makes the Summit a friendly atmosphere.

Now re his views here… well we have to take the good with the bad LOL!

Well it’s the morning after, so with that comes fresh perspective. Anyone know where I can find the Victor Bartley highlight reel package? Seems HI/O forgot to post it in the thread.

5. rhino514 says:

I´ll be an Eller fan to the very end. doesn´t pout, plays wing, plays shutdown centre, does whatever the coach asks him. Answers media questions after actually putting thought into his answers. A sophisticated northern european with a charming smile. I´m glad he´s back at centre and will be pulling for him.
    I wonder wether he´ll re-sign with the habs when his extension is up unless he´s given a somewhat more rewarding role in the next season and a half, it would be a pity to lose a kid like him.

6. habs001 says:

Eller JDL Byron
    MaxPac DD Galchenyuk
    Fletch Plecks Gallagher
    Flynn Mitchell Weise
    DSP…or another 10 combinations…

7. GVZ says:

Pointless to continue with this farce of a season. Time to shut down Price and get him the surgery he needs to properly heal his knee. He’ll be back for next season and hopefully MB, MT won’t.

8. Cal says:

DD can’t play against top 4 D (or DDDD). So why not ensure that he does? The tank is on. Instead of the pressbox, DD gets rewarded. If Weise is back, maybe Galchenyuk and Weise could make this a little less of a joke than it has become. With JDLR called up and Ghetto (who looked bad) and Carr (who played really well) down, the bottom 6 is now messed with. You know, the only part of the team that played consistently?
    The 0 fer ever looks to continue tonight and tomorrow. When did losing 2-1 become acceptable night after night? What a mess.

9. Captain aHab says:

We’re now a wild card team.

As the team sinks more and more into the standings, I am getting more and more worried about a desperation trade. Like McCarron, Scherbak, + for Drouin.

—————-
    Prepare to be boarded!!

• BJ says:

I would not trade Drouin for Mccarran straight up. We have needed size with skill forever. Drouin would only add to our Hobbit collection.

• Phil C says:

Drouin wouldn’t be a desparation trade, he may not help the team that much this year, especially if a roster player went the other way. He would be a long term trade. Now if they go after a guy like Staal…

This is my next concern, the team starts down that desperation trail of giving away picks for rentals in order to ensure playoff money.

If this team is what it is without Price, it isn’t winning a Cup with him. No sense in sacrificing the future for this season.

Having said that, I understand why owners want playoff revenue, especially this season where there cost structures are thrown out the window with the exchange rate.

10. BJ says:

After reading this morning (Euro time) many comments regarding yesterday’s confusion, exasperation I thought this story might bring about a smile:
    WHOREHOUSE SUES LOCAL CHURCH OVER LIGHTNING STRIKE!
    What an interesting turn of events in Pahrump, Nevada….
    Diamond D’s brothel began construction on an expansion of their building to increase their ever-growing business. In response, the local Baptist Church started a campaign to block the business from expanding — with morning, afternoon, and evening prayer sessions at their church.Work on Diamond D’s progressed right up until the week before the grand re-opening when lightning struck the whorehouse and burned it to the ground! After the brothel burned to the ground by the lightning strike, the church folks were rather smug in their outlook, bragging about “the power of prayer.”
    But late last week ‘Big Jugs’ Jill Diamond, the owner/madam, sued the church, the preacher and the entire congregation on the grounds that the church … “was ultimately responsible for the demise of her building and her business — either through direct or indirect divine actions or means.”
    In its reply to the court, the church vehemently and vociferously denied any and all responsibility or any connection to the building’s demise.

The crusty old judge read through the plaintiff’s complaint and the defendant’s reply, and at the opening hearing he commented, “I don’t know how the h_ _l I’m going to decide this case, but it appears from the paperwork, that we now have a whorehouse owner who staunchly believes in the power of prayer, and an entire church congregation that thinks it’s all BS.”

11. powerplay says:

It appears to me the main focus of the Habs these days is to make DD suceed.He is continually given every opportunity but he just cant cut it.Was he ever drafted by a NHL team?They appear waiting for him to break out. This team and its staff is a mess right now.Changes need to be made.

12. Hobie says:

The bottom line here folks is that with Carey Price in our lineup we’re a good team. Not a great team by any means but a good team.

For over a year I’ve been saying that we’re a good player away from having a capable group of top six forwards. Since we began to realize that P.A. Parrenteau wasn’t reliable I’ve thought to myself that there just isn’t enough umph up front to get it done. Long before Parrenteau, the Habs always seemed cursed with a lack of fire-power and size up front. ALWAYS.

For a very brief moment our forwards were actually perfectly balanced when we acquired Thomas Vanek. We actually had what looked like a real NHL first line and top six. What happened next? We made it to the Eastern Conference Finals. Vanek was never properly replaced and we took a big step back up front again.

I imagine Marc Bergevin was counting on Alex Galchenyuk taking a fairly big step forward this year. The problem with that is the Habs are WAY too thin up front and the kid has nobody talented enough to play with to keep him going. He hits a rut, and if he had genuine star player on his wing he’d probably pick it up again quickly. Problem with that is there’s not enough good players up front to spread around.

What I see happening is the Habs being a few points out of a playoff spot when Price returns. Bergevin will have to decide if he wants to attempt to acquire a big and talented forward at the deadline or just face the facts that even if we squeak in we’d need a Patrick Roy performance from Price and some very good luck in the playoffs to do any damage.

If it can’t be done at the deadline, in the offseason, with the salary cap the way it is, Bergevin is going to have to subtract from our defence and sign a $5 mill, $6 mill or $7 mill forward. Then, he gives McCarron a fulltime job on our 3rd line next season.

This notion that another coach could have gotten more from Semin, Sekac, Andrighetto or Carr is absurd, get real people, please.

I’d be fine with Therrien returning next season with a legitimate lineup but wouldn’t be opposed with letting him go and starting fresh.

• sheds88 says:

how you come up with a good post like that at 6:08 am ?!?!

• jacquesthemonkey says:

Well said. In previous years I always felt that with Price they could always beat the best in the NHL but winning a playoff series against the best is quite another thing. Earlier this season was the closest I had seen the Habs actually dominating teams. Wins last year always seemed to be nailbiters and good puck luck. Then the injuries and the rest of the NHL figured out the Habs “system” and now we see the results. It’s gonna take more than a perfectly executed system and a hot goalie.

• Cal says:

Sorry, Hobie, but the Habs are a bad team. A good team is a tad better than mediocre. A good team scores goals. These guys are collecting their pay with only PK and Gallagher that give a rat’s ass.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Hobie, I appreciate the post but the Habs got good service from Andrighetto and Carr – MB has overpaid his D and suffers up front from his underperforming stars ….

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• Coach K says:

Hobie, seems you and I agree a lot with regard to Galchenyuk.

I see a player who has off-the-charts skills with his hands but needs to improve his foot work to be a more complete centre (that coasting, wide stance when he’s attacking has to go). I also see a player who reads the ice very well but never seems to get wingers who possess the same imagination/hockey I.Q. and certainly none who can process what’s going on around him as fast as he does. That is why I think so many plays he tries to start go unfinished.

That isn’t on him. Its up to management to find complimentary players so they can maximize his potential.

13. Captain aHab says:

This is how I feel about it:

Most revealing quote in there:

“Originally, when John started getting some votes, I think everybody was happy for him. As it went along and he kept getting more votes, then it just became sort of a running…ah, ah…it wasn’t a distraction at all,” Maloney said.

—————-
    Prepare to be boarded!!

14. Captain aHab says:

Will Don Cherry be wearing one of these tonight?

@freejohnscott

—————-
    Prepare to be boarded!!

15. Captain aHab says:

Scott is still listed as being part of the ASG…it’ll be fun to see if Bettman “blames” the Habs for taking away Scott’s chance when it’s announced. It can’t possibly be the league’s fault, right?

“We were thrilled for John that he was a top vote getter but now the Habs came in and messed it up”.

It won’t be said like that but the trade will be blamed.

—————-
    Prepare to be boarded!!

• Kooch7800 says:

If the Habs had class they would bring him up so he could go to the All star game and then send him back down.

Anything else shows that this was orchestrated to get him out of the All star game. Honestly, if that is the case we deserve all the bad Karma we get.

I really do feel bad for Scott. I am embarrassed to be a Habs fan and NHL fan at the moment.

16. jols says:

The biggest travesty of the day is shockingly not the Tinordi trade, which was an absolute fiasco, the biggest travesty is Chucky being moved to the garden gnomes wing. Little DD needs someone to make him look good. Chucky should be the center and DD the winger. Again, Chucky is the only player in this Franchise who can possibly become a true #1 center and the buffoon behind the bench screws it up for the 2nd year in a row.

17. Luke says:

Pittsburgh traded Perron to Anaheim for Hagelin.

I wonder if Bergevin had to retain any salary?

18. habzfan2003 says:

When will this nightmare end!?

After losing to Tampa in the playoffs… I said “Please for the love of God fire Therrien.” Much to my dismay, he was there ready to grind at the beginning of the season.

After losing to Tampa I also said: “Please for the love of God get rid of Plekanec and DON’T resign him… Whatever you do!!!” Instead we pay him 6mil a year for next two years.

After losing to Tampa and we were deciding on a captain in the offseason. The majority of people were already deciding it was a foregone conclusion that Pacioretty would be named. I said: “Please for the love of God assign Gallagher as the captain and not Pacioretty. I’ll leave that be for now…

After losing to Tampa I said: “This team just can’t score… Our Powerplay is absolutely terrible. Please for the love of God hire someone that can fix the powerplay”. Instead we bring back the same guys.

I remember in the pre-season I said “God these guys are terrible”. I predicted an 0-5 start when the season started. Then we went 9-0 and I said to myself: “Maybe these guys aren’t as terrible as I thought…” We were 9-0 and I said “The powerplay is still so terrible! Gally is making it look good”

Earlier in the week I said: “Please for the love of God don’t trade Tinordi. The kid is going to be a stud when he actually gets to play! If you’re gonna trade him at least move him for a forward that can actually SCORE!” Instead we move him for Bartley (Not sure about this guy seeing as Nashville is very deep on D. He could be a really good defenseman buried on a Deep D core. At least I hope) and John Scott (Laughing stock of the league… John Scott).

And after this news today… I’m holding on for dear life that MB has something else up his sleeve to help this team put the f’ing puck in the net!!! Tonight once again I’m saying… “Please for the love of God fire Therrien and now maybe MB has to go too”

Fire Therrien request #5

19. Habitant in Surrey says:

I think I have to repeat what I copy & pasted of Arpon Basu’s Tweet, which reminds Us that Tinordi was not just a wasted First-round draft choice, but First AND Second round draft choices.

The First Rounder was a selection We moved-up 5 places to select Jarred. The irony today is that the team We traded selections with was the Arizona Coyotes.

It was made easier to re-post this after My fourth Appleton Rum, which was consumed –straight.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, we picked up on that, and agonized on it already. Find us another facet to this scandal.

• sampson12 says:

The fact that – in hindsight – certain decisions that were made on draft day almost 6 years ago are now looking questionable should not surprise anyone. Take any team, take any year, and you can say the same thing. It is hard to project 18 year olds, especially when it comes to defensemen, and especially when it comes to big, raw, less skilled defensemen. They looked at him and saw a 6’6″ player with a good pedigree, good leadership skills and work ethic, great skater, but he lacked puck skills.

Fast forward almost six years and I wouldn’t say that Jarred Tinordi still can’t become the player that the Montreal Canadiens were hoping to pick. Although it seems crazy during this slide, there are still stanley cup aspirations in Montreal. Tinordi is not responsible with the puck. He has not come anywhere near to earning the trust of the coaching staff. If they send him down he would get claimed for nothing. Their hands were tied. They also want to care about the careers of their players. They don’t want to hold him up. He’s better off being somewhere where he has a chance.

To go back and point to the decisions that they made on draft day in 2010 and pick them apart is easy to do, but not fair. Those decisions made sense at the time. It hasn’t worked out. Nobody can see into the future.

It could be a lesson though.

I don’t know what kind of player Jarred Tinordi will end up being, but I’ve watched him play. I’ve watched him rush the puck up the ice with speed that is very rare for a man his size. He’s like an unskilled Victor Hedman. The size and skating are similar (crucify me if you think that’s a stretch, but I don’t), but Hedman has always had incredible skill. And it even took him a while to come into his own.

I don’t want to get into comparing him to Chara, but screw it. Towering defenceman –> blossoms in late twenties –> becomes best d-man in league. I don’t think Jarred Tinordi will ever be an allstar. However, nobody thought that of Zdeno Chara either. It takes longer for these players to develop.

If this is all nonsense, call me drunk, cause I am. It’s 4:30am in Halifax. Night folks!!

20. FenceSurfer says:

Wow. What a day. Off to bed folks. Hope manyana brings bananas!

21. dickanddanny says:

I think I may have finally solved MB purpose in coming to Montreal. And, it took the help of Leonardo DiCaprio, in the Revenant, to put the final pieces together for me. The answer of course is revenge. For who say you? Well not for himself per say, but for his buddies over in Chicago, the Bowman’s. MB is going to totally screw the Habs for the next 20 years as revenge for Scotty being screwed over on the GM job he should have had some 40 years ago. It all makes perfect sense. Now I can sleep.

“back to you Dick”

Curious that Bob Mckenzie says that Arizona insisted we take back Scott as well in the deal. I guess Maloney just thought he would see how far he could push this. I’m surprised we don’t also have to buy 8’season tickets for Yotes games as well.

Darn good thing we didn’t go the waiver route out of training camp…..

• habcertain says:

Makes MB look naive, unless there is another shoe. What makes this news, is it just so effed up. The kid never got any real opportunity to play some meaningful time in the NHL and see if he could be the second coming of Chara, the potential impact is just too high to not give it a real test. Barely remember seeing him in the league.

• twilighthours says:

Honestly I’m kind of drunk and haven’t read much but on first glance this looks horrible on the habs.

A total embarrassment

• monmick says:

I haven’t double-checked this but, apparently, when the Habs traded up to selected Tinordi they leap-frogged over Arizona. Maybe Arizona had their eye on Tinordi all along — so today is simply payback by Maloney with MB in a bit of a bind, Gilbert coming back soon and Barberio exceeding expectations….

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

23. JohnBellyful says:

Okay, I’ve had my say — actually a bunch of says — and now I must retire knowing my slumber will be fitful, the events of the day too powerful to dismiss from a mind discombulated.
    My wish as I lay head to pillow will be to awake to the news that Bergevin has made a mammoth deal that lands the team a proven sniper (but fearing it will be to announce the Canadiens have traded for Buster Block).

I really hope Tinordi ends up being a regular NHL dman.

• habcertain says:

I hope he wins the Norris.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

He definitely will be, barring any health issue.

He is today as good or better than many D-men I have seen around the NHL.

I’m hoping He will become eventually a top-4 (long-shot), but I am sure He can be today a 6 to 7.

• twilighthours says:

Me too. Absolutely

• Gerry Pigeon says:

6-7? Whoopie ding dong. If he was better than Pateryn and Barberio, then he would have been playing ahead of them. If he had the value assigned to him by the HIO commentariat, then some GM would have offered more for him.

Yes, posters bemoan the mismanagement of our assets. But is it MB’s fault if Tinordi didn’t develop to his potential? If it’s player development that is the issue, then how come Beaulieu and Pateryn seem to have improved and made the team through the same system? Does anyone really believe that either MT or MB would purposely limit the chances Tinordi would get to succeed, because they couldn’t stand that a large, tough, defenceman might be around to help take care of his teammates?

Get real folks, we’re all pissed off about the recent losing streak, but sometimes players just don’t make it, and it’s no one’s fault. Not the first time, won’t be the last.

Preparation + Opportunity = Good Luck

25. Imagine how bad it is perceived to play in MTL if Arizona is a step up to MTL for Tinordi?

That is one of the things I most miss from the brief winning streak that the Habs had. They were actually getting praise and recognition, they had some swagger and grudging admiration. Living in Rags town, it was nice to actually get just a little recognition for actual performance instead of just history and limited results (I’m referring to playoff results). Now, it’s all gone again and this trade just gives the league and it’s fans more fodder to throw tomatoes at Les Canadians as the game passes us by and no team takes us as serious contenders for the Cup. 23 years and it seems many more years and counting… Very upsetting as a decades long Habs fan…

26. Un Canadien errant says:

The silver fly in the ointment is that this makes things even worse for Gary Bettman than he might have thought it was to begin with. He goofed royally on how to handle the All-Star Game, for years on end, and this seasons got punked by knowledgeable fans who knew the mere presence of John Scott on an NHL roster is a farce.

He tried to make the mess go away, like when Marcellus Wallace sent Mr. Wolf to Jimmy’s house, but he evidently put Daddy Campbell on the job. And no one is buying it that this whole mess is on the level.

70’s is begging the positrolls to put a hopeful spin on today’s trade. I’m calling out the Bettman apologists, the guys who reliably squawk that he “grows revenue”, and challenging them to put lipstick on this Gary.

———————————————————————–
    So my resolution for this season is, taking Hal Gill’s injunction to heart, to “let P.K. be P.K.” I’m not going to try to hold him to the standard of Raymond Bourque or Chris Chelios, I’m going to allow him to be himself, with all his glory and his little foibles. (…) I’m celebrating P.K., not trying to improve him. Anymore.

27. monmick says:

@Mattyleg — Sometimes, you really come across as an insufferable know-it-all — not to be confused with the lovable poster, Know et. al. Any any event, you should know that you will never find a quote from a GM saying: “Can you believe it, Bergy is asking for 2 second rounders for Tinordi! Isn’t that just hilarious!” But barring that, maybe you will accept this reference to Elliot Freidman saying that that is exactly what MB was hoping to get for Tinner…

• twilighthours says:

He sure does. Which is ironical in a way. Because I bet we’d love the Matty in person. Seriously. I envision him to be a total beauty

• monmick says:

I’m not so sure; but still willing to give him the befefit of the doubt…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Coach K says:

You’re right…matty is fun to be around. Saw him in action for the first time at the game during this year’s summit. He is an awesome and very entertaining fan to watch in action!
        I think everyone would enjoy his presence.

28. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I have to say one more thing before I go. I am really surprised that MB allowed the Habs to be dragged into the John Scott affair. I thought the last thing he would want this week was more negative press. Upsetting Mtl fans is one thing (we are used to it), but upsetting fans league-wide is another. The Montréal Canadiens are above this. Was he really in that much of a rush to trade his 9th D-man for another 9th D-man? What has Bettman and the Arizona GM ever done for the Habs that justify this “favour”? I thought MB was the type of guy who would never partake in such a maneuver. Too bad.

29. Rosieman says:

This league is now firmly a kids league – this is what’s wrong w the Habs. Totally agree with a previous post – where would Tiny be playing instead of Murray or bouillon or even Gilbert. Old school idiot coach and management team

Pleks at 6 and 7 mill. Markov retained when you have N8 ready to take over and now even Barbeiro – total joke mismanagement.
    Galchenyuk production way over DD in less mins.

I hope they lose enough to get rid of Therrien. He doesn’t even know his lines for tomorrow. Dart board player with no clue for analytics.
    A dinosaur.

30. arcosenate says:

@monmick the thought that John Scott is the best they could get for your son is the insult.

But it’s more of an insult to us because it’s not a hockey trade, it’s personal.

And it sucks.

• monmick says:

John Scott is a throw in. Tinner was traded for Victor Bartley, a 27 year old D-man that, just like Tinordi, is on the bubble and hasn’t quite been able to crack the lineup on his team.

I do not know Mark Tinordi. But if, like me, he is just a dad that wants the best for his kids, my guess is that he couldn’t care less about John Scott and tonight is simply happy that his son finally gets the chance to pursue his career in another organization…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

31. BKAK72 says:

Tinner had the best job.

1. Practise with the HABS
    2. Watch the HABS play hockey (home and road)
    3. Get paid by the HABS too

Please sign me up!

32. dallyd says:

MB is officially useless and out to lunch. Does nothing but make fringe trades, minor league deals and waiver wire pick ups. Now, after benching a former 1st rounder without giving him anywhere near a fair shake, trades him for a completely useless player that can barely make the AHL
    And with MT at the helm…this team is in trouble.

And good for Jarred Tinordi. He gets the hell out of here and away from MT and MB and can hopefully now have a decent career

33. FenceSurfer says:

Je m’en fou. Completement. Alors.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Moi aussi.

• JohnBellyful says:

I’ll give this decoder ring thing one more shot.
      Hmmmmmm. “Man shampoo. Compliment a horse.”
      Can I just return it and get a refund?
      Pleeeeeeeeeeeze!

• FenceSurfer says:

Absolutely NO! Sorry JB.
        I called Bangladesh not as co-operative as initially thought.

• JohnBellyful says:

You haven’t heard the last of me, you dirty, rotten, miserable son-of-a-so-so! Make that !!
          Expect a letter from my lawyer, my MP and the Better Business Bureau of Investigation.
          Okay, that’s three letters. So you know I mean business.
          Now I’ve got a message for you, see if your ring can decode it: %#$#%#@#$Surfer

• FenceSurfer says:

What set you off JB. The 1st or 2nd of my excuse.

• JohnBellyful says:

I just think people should take responsibility and own up to when they make a mistake. By holding a press conference, for example, and making a confession, and answering tough questions.
            Instead of releasing a statement, blaming poor Bangladesh, accusing it of not being co-operative.
            And why aren’t you making the decoder rings in Canada?
            Sourcing jobs offshore — for shame!

• FenceSurfer says:

Born in Cartierville Montreal, raised across the bridge in Chomedy Laval, defected to the states uh, can I leave it at LOL in the hopes the malfunctioning ring can be a bad memory without getting sued? Please?

• Habitant in Surrey says:

Only 9:00 PM here. I think Y’all have convinced Me I need a couple slugs to forget today.

34. Danno says:

Where will the parade route go for passing the 1,000 post mark on HI/O?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

35. CH Sam says:

If anyone thinks John Scott wasnt part of the dirty laundry…. Well sorry, thats just naive. Terrible move by MB.

36. monmick says:

@arcosenate — If I was Mark Tinordi, I can’t think of anything I would enjoy more than seeing my son traded out of MT’s doghouse to the Arizona Coyotes, but that’s just me…

• Habitant in Surrey says:

Mark and Jarred were the big winners today.

I bet there was more than a lot of hoopin’ n hollerin’ in the Tinordi house today.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

They waited patiently until Jarred got his one-way deal and MB had to eventually do something. Good for them.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

I can’t say for any certainty Jarred will be a top-4, but He will be a solid top-6 for a good career if He stays healthy, and stays away from unnecessary fights.

In a few years We may be grumbling sweet nothings over McDonaugh and Tinordi in the same breath.

• monmick says:

I wish him well. I don’t know whether he will make it as a regular D-man. What I do know, however, is that he stands a far better chance of making it playing in the western conference generally, and on a team other than Montreal specifically…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

37. JohnBellyful says:

Knock, knock
    Who’s there?
    Woo
    Woo Who?
    Yeah, it is kinda exciting, surpassing the 1,000 mark in posts.

38. jimmy shaker says:

Cheeky move by MB, now we have the net front presence on the PP and someone who can do the business against Chara, McQuaid, Miller and the rest of the bums on the cubs.

Great move! Love it!

Shaker out!

39. JohnBellyful says:

Okay, can we finally turn our attention to Galchenyuk on the wing?
    Will he be as good a wingman as Smith-Pelly?

40. CHicoHab says:

Just trying to help get to 1000 posts!

41. arcosenate says:

We have an all star forward now. Don’t anyone tell me this wasn’t personal, that Mark Tinordi and Marc Berevin don’t hate each other and here is the ultimate FU.

John Scott eh?

Can’t begin to tell you how completely disgusted with this I am. This is not business as usual and that really bugs me.

This smacks of the Wickenheiser stuff when they fuck a kid up and then double up with insulting him.

Whatever.

42. Habitant in Surrey says:

1000 !!!

So, whatta I win ????

43. thehockeyphilosopher says:

Glad to be a part of this One-Grand club!

Enjoy the rest of the night boys!

44. Danno says:

1,000+

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

45. Habitant in Surrey says:

I am spending a Friday night typing nonsense on a numb-skull Habs’ trade.

O well, …

46. thehockeyphilosopher says:

Just wanna say his name since he appeared earlier in this thread and deserves mentioning again in light of this blockbuster depth trade: Davis Drewisky

Wonder what kind of PC questions Habs supposedly “terrifying” media will feed Bergevin regarding this trade?

48. The Jackal says:

Comment #9__:

What happens first

MT gets fired OR MB gets us a bonafide scorer

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

49. JohnBellyful says:

Now that the Canadiens have rid themselves of the cancer that was destroying the team, I see only good things ahead.

50. Danno says:

989

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

51. thehockeyphilosopher says:

Long, long day… bring on the Blues, should be a turning point for the Habs!

52. prep says:

@ habitant .. Like I posted before after tinordi only kuznetsov is the only player Is panning out and producing .. Even the 2nd pic they gave up no one 10 spots ahead has become bonified .. Teffoli 2nd 15th and Faulk 2nd 8th or something ..

There will never be another Ryan White thread, is there? That’s disappointing.

• thehockeyphilosopher says:

RW, another great 3/4th liner!

Who else can we dig up… how about Louis LeBlanc. Uh, wait, he was projected to be top six. Oh this is painful.

54. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

One prediction I can guarantee is that MB will resign Bartley in the off-season just like he did with all his other previous”depth” pick-ups. Anyway, I am tired of bashing MB today. I don’t know how Timo does it 24×7 365 days a year (LOL).

I want to wish the best of luck to Tiny. I will be cheering for him to get his career back on track. In Arizona he will at least be away from the spotlight and playing for a young team with a good coach. He never said anything negative, participated in all the team activities (e.g., hospital visits) and, most importantly, was always there to stand up for his teammates. He did this even when it was clear he didn’t have a future in Mtl and when other chumps on the team wouldn’t bother. All the best Jarred.

55. habstrinifan says:

I will be withholding my reaction to this Trade until the Supreme Court of Canada rules in favour of assisted suicide for those in unbearable pain.

56. PK says:

Are we a little closer to 1000 comments?

57. Danno says:

965 comments and counting…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

58. JohnBellyful says:

If this was a measuring stick trade for MB, you could say it was long on height but short on talent.

59. Mattyleg says:

So apart from monmick’s vague recollection, nobody can tell me where I can find that pesky article in which another GM says that Bergevin was asking too much for Tinordi.

Huh.

Funny how those things, which support so many “MB’s an idiot” arguments seem to dry up and fly away like scorched toilet paper once they are actually sought out.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

60. govenah says:

Tinordi was never given a proper chance. At least he could clear the front of the net. So they gave away a solid prospect for nothing. Should have found away to move him when they brought on Barberio. Biggest mistake yet by MB. I am very disappointed.

Habba Dabba Doh!

• thehockeyphilosopher says:

Or Tinner standing as a screen on the PP. So tired of watching Wee Davey try to pester goalies. He’s like a gnat trying to block out the sun!

It feels like mid 90s again… like 95, 96, 97…

62. thehockeyphilosopher says:

If we get to 1000 points is that sort of like the points I get at my grocery store? Can we trade the points in for a real coach?

63. Slack says:

So people are still up in arms about this meaningless move that wouldn’t have half the press it has if it weren’t for the John Scott All-Star viral voting campaign, eh?

Now we have to fire both Bergevin and Therrien.

This site can really be mind-boggling at times. As if merely replacing both the GM and coach will switch things around; the players will suddenly be inspired and ultra-passionate, the new GM will immediately make some high-impact trades, fleecing his GM compadres left and right, stacking this team up with talent like none other seen before because Marc Bergevin was just too damn lazy/pre-occupied with his suits (are you effing kidding me?) to make a BIG TRADE.

Because we fans deserve a BIG TRADE.

We deserve a Cup every second year AT LEAST.

If only we were put in charge we would turn this team right into a perennial contender. Because we know leaps and bounds more than Marc Bergevin.

It is difficult to describe how utterly ridiculous the posting has been today.

This was a minor trade.

A simultaneous favor done to both Tinordi and the Arizona Coyotes. If you want to gripe about something, gripe about the disservice done to the All-Star game if John Scott will not be present, because I, for one, was looking forward to seeing that. I’ll probably skip it now. But that doesn’t make this organization a laughingstock or an embarrassment. It doesn’t warrant firing the GM after, what, three years? four? It takes far longer than that for a GM to make his mark.

That’s all I’ve got to say.

Cue the insults, cue the attacks, have at me, boys. I can take it.

———————————————————
    “… another beer is what I need!”

64. Coach K says:

…and we thought we’d seen it all when Gauthier traded Cammalleri halfway though a game. Basement Bergy one-ups him and quotes BTO, “You Ain’t Seen Nothin Yet”

The team is in great hands…

65. thehockeyphilosopher says:

If we get to 1000 posts is that like the points I rack up at my grocery store? Can we trade the points in for a real coach??

66. Arnou Ruelle says:

Aside from the trade (and what might come the following days), I like to congratulate Dave Stubbs for landing a job at NHL.com as a league historian and now blogger for the NHL website.

I like Dave’s reporting here at HIO as well as the Montreal Gazette.

Habs fans need to stage a kudatah.

68. Danno says:

936 comments and counting…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

69. Bim says:

I wonder if anybody thought to ask John Scott how he likes playing for a team headed for 13 place. By about the middle of next week that should about do it. Look on the bright side. They will be in the running for Austin Matthews.

I was told he got sent to AHL… is it true? Is it in order to get adjusted to the speed of the NHL?

71. Habitant in Surrey says:

Аrpon Basu’s Tweet:
    ‏@ArponBasu

“Habs packaged own 1st round pick and a 2nd rounder to move up 5 spots and draft Jarred Tinordi in 2010. Team that moved down? The Coyotes.|

As if today’s news could not sting more.

72. monmick says:

@Mattyleg — Vanek was used on (his) off wing, and seldom on the top line or PP unit…

73. FenceSurfer says:

Can I get any drunker

I think this is the closest this place has come to 1000 posts… keep it going.

I’ll start – Bergevin is an idiot.

75. Davey93 says:

Habs drop to 8th spot in the conference with Bolts and Bruins winning. Its crazy how they were nearly 12 points ahead of these teams in November. They’ll be out of the playoffs by Monday..