Canadiens acquire John Scott as Jarred Tinordi goes to Coyotes; Alex Galchenyuk back on wing

Jared Boll, John Scott

STU COWAN
MONTREAL GAZETTE

The Canadiens have added an all-star to their roster.

But before you get too excited, that all-star is John Scott.

Scott, a 6-foot-8, 260-pound forward with one assist and 25 penalty minutes in 11 games this season with the Arizona Coyotes, was acquired by Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin on Friday afternoon, along with minor-league defenceman Victor Bartley, in exchange for defenceman Jarred Tinordi and minor-league forward Stefan Fournier. Scott will report to the Canadiens’ AHL farm team in St. John’s, while Bartley will join the Canadiens in St. Louis, where the play the Blues Saturday night (7 p.m., SN, TVA Sports, TSN Radio 690).

Scott was voted by fans — obviously with a sense of humour and/or mischief — as one of four captains for the NHL All-Star Game on Jan. 31 in Nashville, which will be a three-on-three tournament. If Scott stays in the AHL, the NHL could rule him inelegible for the All-Star Game.

P.K. Subban is the only other Canadien named to the All-Star Game.

The deal puts an end to the Tinordi saga that dragged on throughout the first half of the season as the former first-round draft pick was made a healthy scratch night after night, playing only three games for the Canadiens while being held pointless. He was sent to St. John’s for a conditioning stint at one point, picking up two assists in six games. Tinordi was selected 22nd overall at the 2010 NHL entry draft.

“We are fortunate to have a lot of depth on the blue line and for that reason it became difficult for Jarred to earn a regular spot on our roster,” Bergevin said in a statement released by the Canadiens Friday night. “He showed great professionalism and kept a positive attitude. We wish him the best of luck with his new organization.”

Bartley had one assist in 14 games this season with the AHL’s Milwaukee Admirals. He has played 112 NHL games with the Nashville Predators, scoring one goal and adding 22 assists.

“Victor Bartley, 27, is a defenceman with good size with over 100 games played at the NHL level,” Bergevin said. “He adds depth to the group of defencemen of our organization. Steady on the blue line he has shown at the junior and the AHL levels that he can also contribute offensively.”

As for Scott, Bergevin said: “At 33, John Scott is a seasoned veteran with 285 NHL games under his belt. He will be bring experience to our group of forwards with the IceCaps in St. John’s.”

While it doesn’t seem like much of a return for a former first-round draft pick, the deal was easier for Bergevin to make since Tinordi wasn’t his pick. Pierre Gauthier was general manager when the Canadiens selected the 6-foot-6 defenceman, who should now finally get a chance to play with the Coyotes.

When asked after practice last week if he had received any message from the Canadiens about what the future might hold for him, the 23-year-old Tinordi said: “No. Like I said, I’m just taking it one day at a time, working hard in practice. I thought I did a good job when I got my opportunity in there, played some strong hockey, so we’ll see what happens.

The focus now will be on whether Scott will play at the All-Star Game. He was voted in by fans as captain of the Pacific Division team, but the NHL and the Coyotes had asked him not to attend. He said he was going to play.

“It’s one of those things where I don’t want to be made a joke of, I don’t want to be an embarrassment, I don’t want to embarrass the game in that way,” Scott told Fox Sports Arizona’s Todd Walsh after being voted in as an all-star captain. “I talked to some people, I talked to a lot of former players and everyone just said ‘go have fun with it and it’ll be a good experience.’”

Scott has been a healthy scratch for most of the season and was even placed on waivers at one point by the Coyotes.

“I talked to a lot of guys in my position throughout the last few weeks and it’s kind of nice,” Scott said after the all-star announcement was made. “I’ve grinded out a career here. It’s not easy being the odd man out (or) the odd man in. You never know where you stand, you never know if you’re going to play or not, you get sent down, you’re a forward or (defenceman).

“It’s one of those things where it’s a grind and just to get a little recognition is fun. I hope all the guys, who have been in my position, can take a little grasp of this and say ‘we did something.’”

In 285 career NHL games, Scott has five goals, six assists and 542 penalty minutes.

As for Tinordi, he should now finally get a chance to play with the Coyotes.

“Long story short, we think he’s a young player with upside,” Coyotes general manager Don Maloney said on the team’s website. “Jarred’s style of play is attractive to us. I know the league is going to mobile and puck-moving (defencemen), but you still need somebody in front of the net to protect your goalie and somebody with a little jam to his game. That’s what he has.”

(Photo by Ross D. Franklin/The Associated Press)

• John Scott becomes latest character in As the Habs Turn, by Stu Cowan

Growing pains continue for Galchenyuk

What does Alex Galchenyuk have to do to become the No. 1 centre with the Canadiens?

That was one of the questions put to coach Michel Therrien following Friday’s optional skate in Brossard before the team headed to St. Louis.

Galchenyuk finished Thursday’s 3-1 loss to the Chicago Blackhawks at the Bell Centre playing at left wing on a line with David Desharnais at centre and Paul Byron on the right.

“For us, you got to make sure you’re really responsible,” Therrien said. “For him as a young centreman, depending against who you play — and he was playing with young kids, he was playing lots of time with Danny Carr or (Sven) Andrighetto — those are young kids.”

Carr and Andrighetto were both sent down to the AHL’s St. John’s IceCaps on Friday morning, while Jacob de la Rose was called up. Therrien explained that he wanted more size on his fourth line and de la Rose is 6-foot-3 and 214 pounds.

“It’s tough for young players to play against top players in the league,” Therrien said about Galchenyuk as a centreman. “So it’s a process. They got a lot of responsibility, but yesterday playing with Desharnais I felt a little bit less responsibility defensively and he could concentrate about trying to generate more offensively. I think they had good scoring chances in the third (period). I thought those two together they were good.”

Galchenyuk logged 16:21 of ice time and had four shots on goal. However, he really struggled in the faceoff circle, winning only two of nine faceoffs. Desharnais picked up an assist on Byron’s goal and logged 18:24 of ice time with two shots on goal.

“I really like what I saw from those two together, David and Chucky,” Therrien said. “Those two guys played together on the power play and yesterday we’re trying to push. I like what I saw. So we’re going to continue the experiment. I haven’t taken a final decision yet (as far as the lines for Saturday’s game) but we’ll see tomorrow.”

When asked about putting Galchenyuk back at centre on the No. 1 line with Max Pacioretty and Brendan Gallagher, Therrien said: “We tried the experiment for three games and, honestly, they didn’t have not one scoring chance.”

Mr. Positive

Dale Weise, who has been sidelined since suffering an upper-body injury during the Winter Classic on New Year’s Day (it’s to his right hand or wrist), took part in Friday’s optional practice and will be back in the lineup Saturday night if he gets medical clearance.

Weise was asked what he learned by watching the last four games from the press-box level.

“When you watch the game, everything looks extremely slow and everything looks extremely easy,” he said. “It’s easy to pick things apart. I see from a media’s perspective how you guys see the game now, it looks very easy.

“You can pick up some things when you watch the game,” he added. “When you get on the ice, things happen quite fast.”

But Weise added that he liked what he saw from his teammates Thursday night against the Blackhawks.

“I liked our last game … I liked the way we played last night,” said Weise, who has 11 goals and nine assists in 40 games this season. “I felt we played great. I thought second and third period the ice was tilted in our favour against a club like that, who’s obviously the hottest team in the NHL right now.

“You got to feel good about yourself,” Weise added. “You got to find ways to be positive and feel good about yourself in situations like this. Watching from the outside, I loved our effort yesterday. I thought we had some guys really step up and I thought we had good depth throughout everybody. I feel good about our game.”

“I have absolutely no idea what the lines would be,” he said. “I think the only line that would be for sure is our top unit (of Max Paciorety, Tomas Plekanec and Brendan Gallagher), and I thought they played good yesterday. I think that’s the only line that would probably stay together. Other than that, I don’t know what the combos would be. We have a couple of guys coming and going.”

When asked if he’d like to be reunited with Desharnais and Tomas Fleischmann, Weise said: “I’d love to play with those guys, obviously.”

A little goalie advice?

With the Canadiens struggling to score goals — they’ve averaged less than two goals per game since Dec. 1 while posting a 5-14 record — Mike Condon was asked if he has given any scoring advice to his teammates from a goaltender’s perspective.

“Not really,” the 25-year-old rookie said. “I’ve only been in this league for four months now, so these guys have played in the NHL for a long time and I think everyone here is an accomplished goal-scorer in their own right. But sometimes if we see something, (goalie coach) Stéph Waite or Benner (goalie Ben Scrivens) or myself will give guys opinions on where we think goalies are vulnerable.”

Right now, any kind of advice might help.

1,343 Comments

1. monmick says:

@Mattyleg — I recall hearing or reading earlier this season that MB was looking for 2 second round picks for Tinner. But you can take that with a grain of salt, I guess…

2. Mattyleg says:

@monmick
    To be fair, Vanek got a very good shake here, and was only given rough treatment when his effort disappeared.

I think that the fact that all those other players haven’t gone on to do anything is an indication that they probably would have been in some other coach’s dog-house at the time too.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• LeaveTheCoachAlone says:

Or that this organization eats players up. Im not sure of many players that left Montreal and still had mileage left on them other than Roy, Chelios, and Damphousse or Recchi. Unless they left before the team got there hands on them.

Culture, pride, pressure, nostalgia, history…whatever it is, its not conducive for a winning club.

• Mattyleg says:

You think the team destroys players?

Yikes.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• LeaveTheCoachAlone says:

I think there’s no doubt a lot of players cant handle this environment. A lot of good players have come through here different then when they came in.

Remember Czerkawski, or Samsonov, or Gilmore, even Gomez was much maligned. Kostytsyn brothers, especially Andre, yes i know we drafted him.

What free agents or trades did we get that improved after getting to Montreal?

Poulin? lol I can’t think of one.

Bergevin has to go. There is other no way around it. Molson needs to wake up and fire his stylish rear end. And Therrien’s. This season is done. Habs are not making the playoffs and even if by some stroke of miracle they do, they get bounced in 4 straight.

And then what? More useless picks by Bergevin at the draft? More traders for bottom 6 forwards and even more AHL defensemen?

Bergevin has to go!

4. Mattyleg says:

Perhaps I’m a little late to the misery-party, but where is the source that says that Bergevin was asking for too much for Tinordi, please?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

5. Danno says:

I blame the lace-tie collar retro sweaters.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

6. The Jackal says:

In other news, watched The Revenant today. It was awesome.
    Leo’s getting an Oscar.

I wish MB’s will to improve the team was as great as the guy in the movie’s will to live and get revenge.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

7. thehockeyphilosopher says:

Great 3/4th liners in the last decade. The Habs have been prolific at tinkering with these lines like a girl fusses with her hair on prom night. Who are the favorites, guys?

I’m down with Glen Metropolit, Jeff Halpbern, and Dominic Moore.

8. johnnylarue says:

Finding it very difficult to override my facepalm reflex right about now.

David Bowie dies, and John Scott is a (farm team) Hab.

Really doesn’t pay to get out of bed some weeks.

• PK says:

Good to see you back JDLR (I mean JLR), after your walkabout last year.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

• johnnylarue says:

Thanks, PK–I’ve found myself with too little time (and even less inspiration) to contribute much over the past little while, but I’m still lurking in the shadows like rapidly-aging vampire.

This was one news item I just couldn’t keep quiet about, though. Even as an empty, insignificant move I can’t help but find it mildly shocking, and either embarrassing or downright disgraceful.

The honeymoon with our studly GM is officially over, folks.

• PK says:

MB is certainly having a trying year, the sheen is off.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

• FenceSurfer says:

It’s a stretch JL.
      A weak apart. Timewise. Might as well mention Bon Scott.

Call JB if you need my decoder ring.

So, the team that mighty struggling to score gets John Scott. I bet he won’t even be in the line up most of the time as not to interfere with the munchkin movement. Will David Desharnais be his center? Will he be playing first PP unit and actually stand in front of the net?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

You need to read up on the trade Timo. Scott was dumped in St. John’s and won’t play a minute with the Habs. The NHL needed to get rid of him before he turned the All-Star game into a farce (too late for that). Our GM is now doing dirty work for Bettman.

• Timo says:

Oh, so there was actually a thought (not a good one but still a thought) behind that trade? Wow. I am just speechless. I’ve only seen such incompetence in 2 places

1. When Houle was the GM
        2. The company that I currently (probably not for long) work for

• thehockeyphilosopher says:

Remember that lame photo they did with Hal Gill, Brian Gionta, and Mike Cammalleri a few years back. It would have been more funny to add in Wee Davey and Scotty G. Gargamel and the Smurfs.

• Huh says:

Nah man, haven’t you heard? We got Frankie Boo 2.0 to help with our scoring woes.

10. monmick says:

@Mattyleg — Not sure if you are responding to me, but my only point is to indicate that those are all players that MB brought in and that, for some reason, appeared to go straight to MT’s dog house…

11. prep says:

Giving some leeway to mb.. 2010 draft wasn’t very deep.. And even though mb wasn’t the gm , after tinordi in the 1st only kuznetsov has came out as an asset .. Even if the y kept the second no one has panned out .. Not even if they had jumped 10 spot in the second… Only Faulk and taffoli .. And those two were early/ middle in the 2nd draft ( habs 26 pick in the 2nd if they kept it). Maybe this will let people feel a little easier

12. PK says:

I was just joking, last night, when I said that MB shops at
    Filene’s Bargain Basement – in Beantown, of all places.
    Who knew?

13. CalgaryHab says:

Good for Tiny to be freed of the chains that have bound him. I’ve wondered what kind of player he’d be if he had the 2 mile leash Nate has instead of the 2 foot leash MT gave him.

14. monmick says:

@DDO — I think that is exactly right. MB is realizing that he needs to give MT players he will actually use. Enough of the parade of Semin, Brière, PAP, Vanek, Sekac. The only other alternative is to fire the coach…

• Mattyleg says:

You list off those players like they have been massively prolific since they left Montreal.

Only Vanek has done well, and he was never going to stay here in the first place.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I think MB “misplayed his hand” and it was time to cut bait. Hopefully he learns from this experience.

• Timo says:

So there will be more John Scotts that Bergevin will start trading for? WHo’s next? Phaneuf for Subban?

• PK says:

I am surprised that the Chris Pronger contract was not part of this deal. Pronger is still Coyotes’ property, no?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

• Un Canadien errant says:

He’s on LTIR and probably on an insurance claim that doesn’t cost them a penny. Ed Snyder is defraying all costs that exist if there are, and Gary gives it a nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

15. monmick says:

@FenceSurfer — Was Ryan White a good-haired fighter?

16. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

How can MB turn the Habs into winners when he only shops at Winnners?

17. Captain aHab says:

It’s a good thing MB cited d depth to explain this trade because I can’t fathom it.

—————-
    Prepare to be boarded!!

18. fitzy56 says:

Some good reading..

The following link is interesting because it has a picture listing all the players MB has brought here…

• knob says:

I would like to marry that girl.

• Coach K says:

Gohabsgo may have a valid argument.

The lack of significant player upgrades notwithstanding, Bergevin was the one who hired a retread coach who can’t seem to adapt to today’s faster, younger NHL.

A coach who can’t accept the risk of losing a few games as young players develop with the big club and accrue value while doing so. Value that could be used as trade bait to leverage talent from elsewhere. Opportunity missed.

It is “Basement Bergy’s” chronic risk-aversion and myopic vision that is setting them all up to fail.

19. Mattyleg says:

This is another case of misperception.

Lots of people were talking about a big trade, then Bergevin did this, and people said THIS IS YOUR BIG TRADE???????

(those people like to use lots of capital letters and question marks)

This is not his BIG TRADE. This is MB doing Tinordi a solid by letting him go. Clearly nobody wanted him, so MB picked up whatever he could for him.

No biggie.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• habcertain says:

You are right, not a big trade, just a stupid one.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If MB wanted to do Tinordi a solid he would have dealt him long time ago. Did anybody really see him making the team with the logjam at D? He had an asset now that was completely devalued and that his coach would never use so he dealt him for a player his coach might use.

• Mattyleg says:

Maybe nobody wanted him a long time ago.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• The Jackal says:

Let’s think that through for a sec.

They didn’t want him when he showed he was a serviceable player. But after rotting in the pressbox, now teams want him, after sitting for supposedly not being good enough to make the team.

I get the idea that maybe his value dipped so now was the time to buy low, but why can’t we just accept that MB made a mistake and asked for too much from the get go, and had to sell him for peanuts in the end. Meanwhile, Emelin is overpaid and we still have too many D-men. At least Tinner will get a chance to play.

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Mattyleg says:

Tinordi never really showed he was a serviceable player.
            Passable, maybe.

Teams are looking for depth going toward the playoffs at this stage of the season. Nobody would want a Tinordi early on, because they were all seeing how their own depth players were working out.

I don’t buy that we should ‘just accept that MB made a mistake and asked too much for him from the get go’ because nobody has any idea about any of his dealings.

And if people really think that they do, I find that a bit scary.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I think they did but MB was asking too much. He could have easily traded him in the off-season.

• The Jackal says:

It’s not that we wanted a big trade and this is what we got, it’s the fact that he sat on Tinordi, was asking for too much as was reported, and then he gets traded for a bag of pucks. It’s just underwhelming and classic MB. People are frustrated that these are the kind of moves MB makes – the team remains mediocre up front and flawed at its core.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• dickanddanny says:

If MB ever took time to watch American pickers he would now how to make a good trade. You package things together. So, in this case Tinordi alone may not have been that valuable, but throw in a decent prospect, and a pick with him and then maybe you score something decent in return. That’s the art of making a good trade to help your team. Sammy Pollock did lots of those deals. With the exception of Ryan Johansson for Seth Jones how often do we see one for one deals that GM’s want to make anymore.

“back to you Dick”

20. B says:

A goal and an assist for Jake Evans in a 7-2 romp over Merrimack

–Go Habs Go!–

21. PK says:

Pacioretty for Drouin and a first rounder?

22. Huh says:

The only thing I get out of this trade is that MT missed Frankie Boo and needed a Cube 2.0.

That folks, is the coach’s solution to our scoring woes.

23. Habitant in Surrey says:

If I was Yzerman, the only Hab Forwards I would trade Drouin straight-up for are Plekanec and Max.

If I was Bergevin, the only one of those 2 I would trade for Drouin would be Plekanec.

I (Bergevin) would do it reluctantly, influenced only because of Pleks’ new post-contract production slump and My decision to tank the season for a top draft pick.

Drouin remains an unproven risk, he is small, but the Habs’ predominant market is hungry for an exciting Francophone.

24. JohnBellyful says:

This obsession with depth on defence only makes sense if MT plans to play them two-deep each shift, leaving the forward to play rover.
    You know, It. Might. Just. Work.

25. Arnou Ruelle says:

3rd – Mac Bennett – 79
    4th – Alexander Avtsin – 109
    5th – Gabriel Dumont – 139
    6th – Dustin Walsh – 169
    7th – Michael Cichy – 199
    7th – Petteri Simila – 211

Out of the last 3 years of the Gainey/Gauthier era, the 2 most successful picks were Nathan Beaulieu and Brendan Gallagher. Tinordi and Leblanc are now two wasted 1st rd. picks consecutively.

26. kirkiswork says:

This is all about giving Tiny a chance to play, nothing more. MB would have to give up a lot more than Tiny to get a big rugged goal scoring first line center. There are not too many teams giving those type of players away. Habs don’t have much to offer.

27. Coach K says:

“With Friday’s player moves and with his status still uncertain, Weise was asked what the lines might look like against the Blues.

“I have absolutely no idea what the lines would be,” he said.”

This tells you all you need to know folks. Its halfway through the season.

When the players need to text each other before the game to figure out who they are playing with, it might be a clue that the coach who is paid very well to prepare his team for the upcoming game, is merely making it up as he stumbles along.

Is Michael Therrien still a good coach? Is Marc Bergevin still a good GM?

29. The Jackal says:

At least HIO seems to be united by the absurdity of this trade. We’re all truly on the same page. That’s nice at least. Thanks MB, and you too Obama!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

30. Captain aHab says:

I guess my last question for tonight is how many more years does Bergevin need to tweak the 3rd and 4th lines and the 5-6-7 D spots before he starts tinkering with the top two forward lines?

—————-
    Prepare to be boarded!!

31. habsfan0 says:

When the Habs started the season 9-0,people were ready to annoint Marc Bergevin as executive of the year.
    While that obviously was premature thinking, I’m prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt re this trade and see what else he has up his sleeve which will hopefully turn this season around.

32. boing007 says:

Phalcon at TSN NHL said:
    It will take quite some time for an analysis of this trade to be done, as the experts will be killing themselves with laughing, making it impossible to speak or write.

Richard R

33. bellcentre hotdog says:

Just when you think things can’t get worse…

What a terrible move. What a joke.

34. on2ndthought says:

I hope Bartley is an injury call-up, until Gilbert gets back. That way, he can be sent back down without clearing waivers. We really don’t want two D in the press box.

“a cannonading drive”

35. monmick says:

@slapshot777 — I think I misread your first post. I don’t think there was anyone saying that Tinner had to be placed on waivers imminently. But, obviously, a team can’t carry 8 D-men, one of whom never plays, indefinitely. The longer it lasted, the mist untenable it became. Also, as soon as Gilbert returned, one of either Tinordi or Barberio (if he had played more than 9 games) would have had to go through waivers.

• slapshot777 says:

Agreed. I just would have liked for the Coyotes to pay more for Tinordi since they were looking to acquire him since the start of the season, but there was no one on the Coyotes that the Habs wanted. Total BS.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

36. The Jackal says:

Why do we want Drouin? He’s just another smurf.
    Can’t we go after an established scorer? Is Bergy thinking that Drouin is a good bargain because TB discarded him?

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

37. Habitant in Surrey says:

According to LeBrun, Tinordi was desired by Arizona since the season began. The Coyotes had nothing the Habs wanted (hard to believe). At least nothing that a one for one of Tinordi for X would justify.

The Predators’ Bartley was eyed by the Habs’ pro-scouts as a replacement for a Frankie Bouillion-type as a 7th D, according to LeBrun. Likely this a request of Therrien.

But why would not Bergevin deal directly with David Poile, GM of the Predators, as he just traded Seth Jones for Johansen ? Seth and Jarred were physically similar, You would think Poile would jump at Tinordi for Bartley.

Therefore, maybe Bergevin does want John Scott available in Our quiver, just in case He may be needed.

So, the 2 things, logically, that I see beyond the face (farce) of this trade, are, first, John Scott will be at Therrien’s beck and call as a skull cruncher if the need arises, and, second, Greg Pateryn may be next on the chopping block.

38. Un Canadien errant says:

Backsies: How about Tinner and a fifth for Anthony Mantha? Did Marc Bergevin call Ken Holland? Maybe make another final, absolutely last call?

I’ll even take Tyler Biggs if the Pens want Tinner.

———————————————————————–
    So my resolution for this season is, taking Hal Gill’s injunction to heart, to “let P.K. be P.K.” I’m not going to try to hold him to the standard of Raymond Bourque or Chris Chelios, I’m going to allow him to be himself, with all his glory and his little foibles. (…) I’m celebrating P.K., not trying to improve him. Anymore.

39. ooder says:

form @ArponBasu:
    “Marc Bergevin cites depth on the blue line as the reason he acquired Bartley and also the reason he traded Tinordi. That explains it.”

what a dumb statement lol

• FenceSurfer says:

Exactly what depth in Dantes inferno has this org crept to.

Final circle= MT locked in ice serving Molson beer.

Cheers!

• slapshot777 says:

How much depth do you want on defense. We have PK, Markov, Petry, Beaulieu, Emelin, Gilbert, Pateryn, Barberio and before the trade Tinordi.

So we swap defensemen Tinordi for Bartley. How did the team get deeper on defense. If Bartley was that good how come he never got called up once Jones was traded.

MB will need to come up with better reasoning as to why this trade was made. I am sick of hearing “we got a lotta depp”

Depth is only good if you got decent players to fill in.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• boing007 says:

More dep, eh?

Richard R

40. Forum Dog says:

Galchenyuk – 4th in team scoring, over 50% at the faceoff dot, 22 years old. But still not ready to own a centre spot. W. T. F.

It is this kind of thinking that retards player development. That and the link someone posted earlier about them being “a grinding team”. Such a backward, minor pro way of thinking. Don’t get it at all.

I mean, the offensive strategy is “chip and chase” and “shoot from the perimeter and hope for a rebound”. Uh, NHL goalies and defencemen don’t leave to many rebounds, and those they do tend to get directed to the corner. If that is the strategy, you may get one goal a game, but that is about it.

41. Arnou Ruelle says:

TSN Hockey Insiders looked like they have a point. The trade for Tinordi was actually for Bartley but the deal was unexpected to include John Scott. Fair Enough.

However, I still don’t get it! If Marc Bergevin was looking for a team to trade Tinordi, why the Arizona Coyotes? Out of all 29 other NHL teams, what made MB get this deal? Is it just to discard a liability?

42. Coach K says:

In my humble and untrained opinion, the only reason “Bargain (soon to be “Basement”) Bergy” looks even remotely good at this point is because of what Bob Gainey and Gauthier gifted him. His big upgrade to date, was to improve the scouting ranks at the pro level. That’s it!

The fact of the the matter is, he’s done nothing of consequence regarding improving the lineup in the 4 years he’s been cashing Molson’s cheques.

Am I mistaken?

43. roberge12 says:

It wasn’t that long ago that our team was being coached to play the right way, we had four lines perfectly tuned, short crisp passes for innovative breakouts, all world goalie and we skated our opponents into the ice….third period powerhouse with a power play to match. What happened? Coach responded to adversity (injuries) by making all the wrong moves.
    I am disappointed about Tinner, I thought he played well I focused on him and he was good. But I know nothing.

• zak says:

We’re back to dump and chase…trying to jam the puck into the net instead of trying to make a play in front of the net. Pretty hard to jam pucks past goalies these days

44. FenceSurfer says:

@Front;

Parrot gets all my respect. But he got deeked hard as a Hab and that concussion ended his career. Sad.
    Any enforcer brought in to this team the last 2 decades have been disappointments.
    Only one guy comes to mind I wish for but my inebriated mind prevents me from conjuring his name. He was an A grade fighter. During the lost season if you will.

45. knob says:

I fear that the two names being offered for Druoin is Eller and Beaulieu. I would be very unhappy if that happened.

• PK says:

Ditto

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

46. Ktowner says:

OK. I think I have it figured out.
    Tinner was traded so that MT and MB wouldn’t have to be burdened each and every game with making the decision to have him sit in the press box. This has cleared their minds and they can now fully focus on correcting the problems that have beset the team.
    All will be right now.

• Arnou Ruelle says:

Most likely, that was the reason for this trade. Since Jarred’s dad, Marc, made that rant on TSN 690, the Canadiens have this issue after last season.

I hate to say this, but Jarred Tinordi is another failed prospect much like the other 1st rounder before him: Louis Leblanc.

47. warped says:

Tampa and Boston leading their games tonight. If either wins, we become a wild card team. And for how long until we drop out of a wild card spot. A week maybe, less.

48. Bun E. Laroque says:

This is truly baffling. Surely there must have been some prospect somewhere that needed a change of scene. You can never have enough defensemen? I beg to differ. C’mon give us SOMETHING to get a little bit excited about. Its just not even funny.

49. fitzy56 says:

The problems with our team actually go back to last year’s trade deadline. If I remember correctly we were on a good winning streak at the time and after the trade deadline we never did get it back together. Those problems continued into the playoffs but were thrown to the back burner and forgotten after our hot start this year.

Clearly we still have some “problems”

50. Danno says:

Victor Bartley stats

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

51. thehockeyphilosopher says:

Here’s a look back at some defensemen who we’ve recently enjoyed on the Habs: Allen, Murray, Soup, Sopel, Campoli, Weaver, Wiznewski, Kaberle, Gill, Jorges, Spacek, Hamrlik, (forgive the spelling), etc.

This is what Markov and Subban had to work with. Now Markov is as rickety as the rotting picket fence on grandpa Kilpatrick’s farm. And Subban has so many stars and dollar signs in his eyes, he can’t see to hit the net for a goal anymore.

Gill and Soup were two of my favs out of the old group of D.

52. PK says:

Others have already chuckled about the ludicrous headline:

Also: I forgot that the Habs had to move up several spots in the draft to grab Tinordi.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

53. HabsFansince49 says:

My uncle Bob in Newfoundland used to say that “it is never as bad as it can’t get worst”. Today’s Bergevin deal proves Uncle Bob right. As someone pointed out here we are becoming the laughing stock of the NHL.
    Keep this up and MB will make Gainey and Gauthier look good!

54. Danno says:

Is the All Star game going to be 60 minutes of 3 on 3?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

55. B says:

Some early scores:
    Addison scores his 16th, 67s down 2-1 to Niagara after 2
    Jake Evans has an assist, 3-1 ND over Merrimack in the 2nd
    (Evans leads Notre Dame in pts going into tonight’s game)

–Go Habs Go!–

• on2ndthought says:

Is Addison showing more offense than expected? I thought he was drafted as an energy/4th liner type.

“a cannonading drive”

• B says:

He’s a smart player who got a rep as a defensive specialist, but when he went from Saginaw to Ottawa last season, his points really increased. It has kept up this season and he is already close to last season’s total of 19 goals. He may get even more offensive chances now with Konecny recently traded out of Ottawa.

Edit: Here’s what Trever Timmins had to say about Addison after drafting him:
        “He’s my hometown pick. I live near Ottawa so I see the 67’s a lot. He was outstanding in the playoffs,” relayed Timmins on the goal-per-game postseason performer. “He’s a power-type forward with a really quick release. He really improved this season. He plays a hard game, he drives the net, and he gets a lot of points in tight to the net. I like the way he plays. He’s not afraid to get his nose dirty and get in the paint.”

–Go Habs Go!–

56. The Jackal says:

So Habs picked up another spare D man lol. Is this real??

57. monmick says:

@Slapshot777 — Waivers depend on your age and contract. The guys that don’t need to go through waivers (Carr, Hudon, Ghetto, McCaron) are young and/or on 2-way contracts. Tinordi was on a one-way contract and old enough that he needed to go through waivers before being sent down (unless for a conditioning purpose, for example)…

• slapshot777 says:

I understand that part, but what I don’t understand is why were they thinking about putting Tinordi on waivers to begin with. MB knew coming into the season that Tinordi would have to clear waivers in order to get sent to the AHL.

He already sent Tinordi down once for conditioning. I would assume that this could only be done once. So that card was already played. The talk now was he had to make a trade so he wouldn’t lose him to a waiver claim.

If the Habs sent back Carr, and Andrighetto wouldn’t that have made room on the roster even with Weise coming back. I just don’t understand why MB was afraid to lose Tinordi to a waiver claim.

I think this deal was done to help out the NHL get out from under this John Scott All-Star fiasco and also to help out the NHL with making their pet project Coyotes get better.

It will be interesting to see how the Habs get repaid in all of this. I just don’t buy MB making that kind of trade knowing full well that the Habs fans and media will be all over this trade and how he will be laughed at for this deal. I don’t think he is that stupid, especially after seeing how they did it in Chicago. He didn’t get stupid overnight.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

58. boing007 says:

Bartley? If he had traded for a Bentley that would have made my day.

Richard R

59. Captain aHab says:

Apparently, the Habs have already said that he won’t play in the NHL this year.

—————-
    Prepare to be boarded!!

• fitzy56 says:

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin touted Scott’s experience.

“John Scott is a seasoned veteran with 285 NHL games under his belt,” Bergevin said in a statement. “He will bring experience to our group of forwards with the (AHL’s) IceCaps in St. John’s.”

• Coach K says:

Oh oh! He won’t play for the Habs this season?? That is bad news indeed.

I was under the mistaken impression that Scot’s job was to protect Price from the crease-crashers when he returned. Does this mean that Price is done for the year? I mean, what else could it possibly mean??

60. haberoo13 says:

I know someone has been posting about MT’s dream of a win being 0 to -1…that is a load of horsechips…
    We all know his dream is for Patch to score an empty netter in a 1 to -1 win.

Haberoo13

61. Captain aHab says:

Wonder if they will play Bartley right away. And how much rope he’ll have before being sent down….I’m thinking lots and lots to make this look good.

They must be really really hoping that the guy doesn’t cough it up for a goal on his first shift.

—————-
    Prepare to be boarded!!

• boing007 says:

If you trade for a player that you’re worried might cough up a goal on his first shift, then you’ve traded for the wrong player.

Richard R

• thehockeyphilosopher says:

According to Pierre LeBrun: “Habs see in Bartley a guy that has the potential to play 6/7 Francis Boullion type role. Will join the team in St. Louis tomorrow”

62. Huh says:

You know what I like about Timo?

When he’s right, he never rubs it in everyone’s faces.

He just lays low. Probably getting a massage.

Chuckling to himself all the while.

63. SmartDog says:

You know what’s gonna be beautiful? Watching Patches answer questions about how John Scott helps the team. LOL

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

64. slapshot777 says:

Everyone is saying that MB didn’t want to lose Tinordi to a waiver pickup. Why did MB have to place Tinordi on waivers all of a sudden. They had AHL players in the lineup and tey sent them down so why was it a necessity to put Tinordi on waivers.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

65. vandebuurd says:

Wow, how quickly a GM and coach owe you guys something you would have begged for 3 seasons ago. How quickly can one fanbase forget the dark days of Gauthier and demand we play the GM crapshoot again. I was not happy with the MT hiring at the time and still have considerable doubts he can take the team to the promised land, but in the last 3 seasons the habs have made the playoffs every year and currently sit (some would say slouch) in a playoff spot as of today. What more can you ask from the team we have? Shouldn’t he at least get until the end of the season? Furthermore, imho this year’s team is light years better than they were last year; anyone with 2 eyeballs and a brain would admit they never should have sniffed 50 wins and a division title last year and were outplayed more often than not. This season there have been some stinkers for sure, but they have carried the play most nights and been snakebitten in front of goal. That should correct itself over the course of a full season. Do the habs need another top 6 forward? Yes. I’m sure MB doesn’t need to read the comments section to know that. Why don’t we all take a deep breath and appreciate what this scrappy group has been able to do thus far without last year’s best player in the league and our only top 6 RW for a significant period of time. As for the Tinordi trade, meh. If he was good enough to make it on this team he would have made it. Hopefully he can get some gametime and still have a good career; the same people calling for a 10 game look with decent minutes would have been calling for MT and MBs head if he looked bad in the first 2 games. Lets wait until the end of the season to evaluate MBs work this year; there’s alot of games still to be played and more likely than not more moves coming. Too many chicken littles in this comment section; all we can ask is for them to make the playoffs, if that fails to happen we should question management / coaching but I think they’ve earned at least that much. I have faith that the group we have can and will achieve better results in the second half. If you want to make yourself feel as optimistic as I am take a look at the 2011-12 roster and then tell me MB hasn’t improved it.

just so you know how faithful (read: stupid) I am I took advantage of the recent slump to get money down on the habs to win the cup this year at 18-1.

Faithfully yours,

A much needed optimist.

P.S. We haven’t seen the last of Carr this year and possibly not of ghetto so dont get your panties in a bunch

66. Gerry Pigeon says:

Crosby / Kunitz / Letang / Fleury for:
    Pleks / Patches / Subban / Price.

Pitt says ok cause they get upgrades on LW, D, and G. Habs get Crosby, real offence for the first time in DECADES

67. D Mex says:

About the time that Geoff Molson retained Serge Savard to leave no stone unturned in the search for a front office boss who would take the reins from the PG era, I recall comments about the historical and cultural importance of this team, and Geoff Molson’s stewardship in returning it to respectability and significance

If the reports of calls for help by the NHL to 29 of its teams in resolving the John Scott as All-Star Captain are with any degree of foundation, and if the Habs decided to play ball, it was almost certainly instigated at a level that involved, at least initially, communication between Geoff Molson and the NHL Head Office. I say this because it smacks of underhandedness that anyone other than the guy at the top could conceivably get fired for. It’s not unlike the shenanigans that went on when Pronger was hired to work at NHL HQ while still under contract with the Flyers, a move that was greeted with broad skepticism in these parts.

Posters here look forward to hearing the tough questions put to Bergevin, I look forward to a few being put to Molson. The odour of this will linger, and fans of this team are not fools. He has to know this.

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

• boing007 says:

Stop drinking his beer. That’ll teach him.

Richard R

• Huh says:

I don’t know why anyone would drink his (insert word for a bodily fluid that’s excreted when one drinks liquids – Is that terminology more PC for you Mods out there? Jeez…..).

Terrible, terrible beer.

• Coach K says:

I was informed that someone once sent a sample of the owner’s product to a lab for analysis.

The response came back: “Sorry to inform you sir but your horse has diabetes”

That’s all we need to know.

68. slapshot777 says:

What was so much better about Bartley over Elliott

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

69. Bim says:

Just when I thought I’d seen the mother of all stupid trades…along comes this one. A first round draft pick for “zero”. Don’t know what the rush was to trade AHL players for other AHL players? Its like having a kidney stone. Its hurts like hell when you live with it but feels great once you pass it! Did anyone notice if MB was slurring his speech when talking to media? They’re going to have fun with this one all day long. I think Habs have now officially unseated the Leafs as the laughing stock of the NHL. My head hurts!

70. Captain aHab says:

So the Habs remove a huge thorn from the side of the Coyotes and the NHL and for this, we send Tinordi to get a guy whose upside is likely as a third pairing stay at home D.

As I said before: they must have REALLY hated Tinordi.

And now the Habs have a scout at Drouin’s game….I can just feel a desperate trade coming. That trade in itself would define the MB tenure. If they get Drouin and he blows, that will be it for that management group.

—————-
    Prepare to be boarded!!

71. boonie says:

Around here, hab-coloured glasses are a dime a dozen. Every mid-round pick can be Gallagher. Every first is a future HOFer.

Scratch your heads all you want.

The problem with the deal WAS two years ago. MB held on Tinordi two years too long – hoping to recover from a losing hand. In hindsight, he would have been better off moving a guy his coach didn’t covet much, much sooner for (likely) more value.

Sadly, this is identical to Subban signing. Instead of reading the tealeaves early and signing PK to a lower-priced deal, MB waited for perfect information – and, paid dearly.

This seeming need to maximum information might also explain his penchant for picking up every backup netminder, 4-5-6-D-man and bottom six forward. He knows the floor on these guys and can hope for a higher ceiling.

If I could go back in time, I’d get our much (and fairly) maligned GM a crystal ball for xMAS so he can make moves sooner rather than later.

72. JohnBellyful says:

On the same day de la Rose is a call-up,
    The Habs trade for Scott and the fans throw up.

73. downeast hab says:

I surely hope MB is making cap space in system so he can replace coaching staff….Please, MT has a useless system to get Habs to play…any win now is a randon…no consistencty…at this rate, making the playoffs is a dream….Is Molson in this for success or tax writeoff…

74. slapshot777 says:

Jeremiah Addison just scored for the 67’s.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.