Canadiens acquire John Scott as Jarred Tinordi goes to Coyotes; Alex Galchenyuk back on wing

Jared Boll, John Scott

STU COWAN
MONTREAL GAZETTE

The Canadiens have added an all-star to their roster.

But before you get too excited, that all-star is John Scott.

Scott, a 6-foot-8, 260-pound forward with one assist and 25 penalty minutes in 11 games this season with the Arizona Coyotes, was acquired by Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin on Friday afternoon, along with minor-league defenceman Victor Bartley, in exchange for defenceman Jarred Tinordi and minor-league forward Stefan Fournier. Scott will report to the Canadiens’ AHL farm team in St. John’s, while Bartley will join the Canadiens in St. Louis, where the play the Blues Saturday night (7 p.m., SN, TVA Sports, TSN Radio 690).

Scott was voted by fans — obviously with a sense of humour and/or mischief — as one of four captains for the NHL All-Star Game on Jan. 31 in Nashville, which will be a three-on-three tournament. If Scott stays in the AHL, the NHL could rule him inelegible for the All-Star Game.

P.K. Subban is the only other Canadien named to the All-Star Game.

The deal puts an end to the Tinordi saga that dragged on throughout the first half of the season as the former first-round draft pick was made a healthy scratch night after night, playing only three games for the Canadiens while being held pointless. He was sent to St. John’s for a conditioning stint at one point, picking up two assists in six games. Tinordi was selected 22nd overall at the 2010 NHL entry draft.

“We are fortunate to have a lot of depth on the blue line and for that reason it became difficult for Jarred to earn a regular spot on our roster,” Bergevin said in a statement released by the Canadiens Friday night. “He showed great professionalism and kept a positive attitude. We wish him the best of luck with his new organization.”

Bartley had one assist in 14 games this season with the AHL’s Milwaukee Admirals. He has played 112 NHL games with the Nashville Predators, scoring one goal and adding 22 assists.

“Victor Bartley, 27, is a defenceman with good size with over 100 games played at the NHL level,” Bergevin said. “He adds depth to the group of defencemen of our organization. Steady on the blue line he has shown at the junior and the AHL levels that he can also contribute offensively.”

As for Scott, Bergevin said: “At 33, John Scott is a seasoned veteran with 285 NHL games under his belt. He will be bring experience to our group of forwards with the IceCaps in St. John’s.”

While it doesn’t seem like much of a return for a former first-round draft pick, the deal was easier for Bergevin to make since Tinordi wasn’t his pick. Pierre Gauthier was general manager when the Canadiens selected the 6-foot-6 defenceman, who should now finally get a chance to play with the Coyotes.

When asked after practice last week if he had received any message from the Canadiens about what the future might hold for him, the 23-year-old Tinordi said: “No. Like I said, I’m just taking it one day at a time, working hard in practice. I thought I did a good job when I got my opportunity in there, played some strong hockey, so we’ll see what happens.

The focus now will be on whether Scott will play at the All-Star Game. He was voted in by fans as captain of the Pacific Division team, but the NHL and the Coyotes had asked him not to attend. He said he was going to play.

“It’s one of those things where I don’t want to be made a joke of, I don’t want to be an embarrassment, I don’t want to embarrass the game in that way,” Scott told Fox Sports Arizona’s Todd Walsh after being voted in as an all-star captain. “I talked to some people, I talked to a lot of former players and everyone just said ‘go have fun with it and it’ll be a good experience.’”

Scott has been a healthy scratch for most of the season and was even placed on waivers at one point by the Coyotes.

“I talked to a lot of guys in my position throughout the last few weeks and it’s kind of nice,” Scott said after the all-star announcement was made. “I’ve grinded out a career here. It’s not easy being the odd man out (or) the odd man in. You never know where you stand, you never know if you’re going to play or not, you get sent down, you’re a forward or (defenceman).

“It’s one of those things where it’s a grind and just to get a little recognition is fun. I hope all the guys, who have been in my position, can take a little grasp of this and say ‘we did something.’”

In 285 career NHL games, Scott has five goals, six assists and 542 penalty minutes.

As for Tinordi, he should now finally get a chance to play with the Coyotes.

“Long story short, we think he’s a young player with upside,” Coyotes general manager Don Maloney said on the team’s website. “Jarred’s style of play is attractive to us. I know the league is going to mobile and puck-moving (defencemen), but you still need somebody in front of the net to protect your goalie and somebody with a little jam to his game. That’s what he has.”

(Photo by Ross D. Franklin/The Associated Press)

• John Scott becomes latest character in As the Habs Turn, by Stu Cowan

Growing pains continue for Galchenyuk

What does Alex Galchenyuk have to do to become the No. 1 centre with the Canadiens?

That was one of the questions put to coach Michel Therrien following Friday’s optional skate in Brossard before the team headed to St. Louis.

Galchenyuk finished Thursday’s 3-1 loss to the Chicago Blackhawks at the Bell Centre playing at left wing on a line with David Desharnais at centre and Paul Byron on the right.

“For us, you got to make sure you’re really responsible,” Therrien said. “For him as a young centreman, depending against who you play — and he was playing with young kids, he was playing lots of time with Danny Carr or (Sven) Andrighetto — those are young kids.”

Carr and Andrighetto were both sent down to the AHL’s St. John’s IceCaps on Friday morning, while Jacob de la Rose was called up. Therrien explained that he wanted more size on his fourth line and de la Rose is 6-foot-3 and 214 pounds.

“It’s tough for young players to play against top players in the league,” Therrien said about Galchenyuk as a centreman. “So it’s a process. They got a lot of responsibility, but yesterday playing with Desharnais I felt a little bit less responsibility defensively and he could concentrate about trying to generate more offensively. I think they had good scoring chances in the third (period). I thought those two together they were good.”

Galchenyuk logged 16:21 of ice time and had four shots on goal. However, he really struggled in the faceoff circle, winning only two of nine faceoffs. Desharnais picked up an assist on Byron’s goal and logged 18:24 of ice time with two shots on goal.

“I really like what I saw from those two together, David and Chucky,” Therrien said. “Those two guys played together on the power play and yesterday we’re trying to push. I like what I saw. So we’re going to continue the experiment. I haven’t taken a final decision yet (as far as the lines for Saturday’s game) but we’ll see tomorrow.”

When asked about putting Galchenyuk back at centre on the No. 1 line with Max Pacioretty and Brendan Gallagher, Therrien said: “We tried the experiment for three games and, honestly, they didn’t have not one scoring chance.”

Mr. Positive

Dale Weise, who has been sidelined since suffering an upper-body injury during the Winter Classic on New Year’s Day (it’s to his right hand or wrist), took part in Friday’s optional practice and will be back in the lineup Saturday night if he gets medical clearance.

Weise was asked what he learned by watching the last four games from the press-box level.

“When you watch the game, everything looks extremely slow and everything looks extremely easy,” he said. “It’s easy to pick things apart. I see from a media’s perspective how you guys see the game now, it looks very easy.

“You can pick up some things when you watch the game,” he added. “When you get on the ice, things happen quite fast.”

But Weise added that he liked what he saw from his teammates Thursday night against the Blackhawks.

“I liked our last game … I liked the way we played last night,” said Weise, who has 11 goals and nine assists in 40 games this season. “I felt we played great. I thought second and third period the ice was tilted in our favour against a club like that, who’s obviously the hottest team in the NHL right now.

“You got to feel good about yourself,” Weise added. “You got to find ways to be positive and feel good about yourself in situations like this. Watching from the outside, I loved our effort yesterday. I thought we had some guys really step up and I thought we had good depth throughout everybody. I feel good about our game.”

With Friday’s player moves and with his status still uncertain, Weise was asked what the lines might look like against the Blues.

“I have absolutely no idea what the lines would be,” he said. “I think the only line that would be for sure is our top unit (of Max Paciorety, Tomas Plekanec and Brendan Gallagher), and I thought they played good yesterday. I think that’s the only line that would probably stay together. Other than that, I don’t know what the combos would be. We have a couple of guys coming and going.”

When asked if he’d like to be reunited with Desharnais and Tomas Fleischmann, Weise said: “I’d love to play with those guys, obviously.”

A little goalie advice?

With the Canadiens struggling to score goals — they’ve averaged less than two goals per game since Dec. 1 while posting a 5-14 record — Mike Condon was asked if he has given any scoring advice to his teammates from a goaltender’s perspective.

“Not really,” the 25-year-old rookie said. “I’ve only been in this league for four months now, so these guys have played in the NHL for a long time and I think everyone here is an accomplished goal-scorer in their own right. But sometimes if we see something, (goalie coach) Stéph Waite or Benner (goalie Ben Scrivens) or myself will give guys opinions on where we think goalies are vulnerable.”

Right now, any kind of advice might help.

1,343 Comments

1. piper says:

If he’s as good as the Cube was at that age I’ll be very impressed.

2. Phil C says:

This is for Front. He’s a bit of a bulldog.

3. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Habs called up Bartley…so another D-man that won’t play…I can’t even comment anymore.

4. CHicoHab says:

If and when we make the playoffs it will be nice to have a goon on the bench if things get dirty. Just sayin

5. Saintpatrick33 says:

He’s already a disappointment.

6. Chuck says:

It’s not the coach’s job to turn them into NHL players. It’s to refine their skill at the NHL level.

7. JohnBellyful says:

I say Scott should still go to Nashville, and stand outside the rink and let people take selfies with him. How many people get a chance to be in a photo with an All-Star?

8. Storman says:

What is going on with the moderators power trip, i pointed out that MB won the trade by height parameters by two inches and i get modded wtf..

9. Un Canadien errant says:

To all the haterz, I swear I’m not making this up:

Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva 1m1 minute ago

#canadiens recall Victor Bartley. They want to see what he can do. Told he’s a D who’s playing like Francis Bouillon. #tvasports

———————————————————————–
    So my resolution for this season is, taking Hal Gill’s injunction to heart, to “let P.K. be P.K.” I’m not going to try to hold him to the standard of Raymond Bourque or Chris Chelios, I’m going to allow him to be himself, with all his glory and his little foibles. (…) I’m celebrating P.K., not trying to improve him. Anymore.

10. trade_centre says:

So, it looks like this trade was to free up Tinordi’s cap space (850K).

Scott costs us zero against the cap.

11. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The only good thing about Scott is that he is a great goon. He is not like Laraque who would go around asking “would you like to partake in some pugilism dear sir?”. Scott just jumps guys. If Therrien was to get dirty, he got the right guy.

12. ari says:

First I thought it is a bad joke. .it must be hard to make this trade and involved three month restless process. …What a nice example how to devalue your prospects…..well done MB. ….WTF

13. B says:

Rather than let the languishing Tinordi go for nothing (waiver) they traded him for an experienced Dman the IceCaps can use. Scott may also come in handy vs the Marlies tomorrow and Sunday. Montreal frees up an NHL roster spot. Fournier was not in their future plans either. A minor little deal.

–Go Habs Go!–

14. marvin20 says:

Can’t wait for next year to read “this date in Habs History”

15. Habfan17 says:

Next up, Bergevin needs to pick up Hodgson, then he would have the other half of the Kassian trade, then send Ghetto to Vancouver for Prust. bring Scott up frm the Rock
    Patches, Pleks, Gallagher
    Flash, Gal27, Hodgson
    Scott, Eller, Weise
    Prust, Mitchell, Flynn
    DD

Therrien finds Scott better on the PP than DD!

Of course I jest! What is MB doing? Did someone spike his water bottle?

Habfan17

• piper says:

I think he’s rattled now and doesn’t know what to do. Arizona called, made him an offer, told him it was a great deal as he’s getting an allstar back, so he jumps on it.

• piper says:

I work with some guys from Niagara and one of them played minor hockey with Scott. He was always the worst player on the team but always made the team because of his size.

16. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The best thing about this trade is that this thread is going to be hilarious.

17. on2ndthought says:

@UCE
    Dec 23rd, 1973. The Truesdale clan arrives at their new home in Cincinnati, Ohio. Christmas shopping in shirtsleeves the next day. A year and a half to high school graduation. Reds fan and Bengals fan forever.

“a cannonading drive”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Un Canadien errant JANUARY 15, 2016 AT 5:05 PM

I’ll allow it.

And sorry about that whole ‘Mike Brown is the owner of your team’ deal.

Having Dean Spanos as the double-dealing schmuck owner of my team made me renounce it.

18. rabidhab says:

There has got to be another piece to this puzzle coming later?

• JohnBellyful says:

Scott for Chara. MB’s inching closer to that game-changer of a swap.

• Larry says:

He might have just traded Chara for Scott.
        Tinordi was never given a chance and I fear this is going to be another one we talk about for years and years.

• slapshot777 says:

We have been saying that all year and the same thing happens, nothing. This is a sideways, backwards deal. I can’t see how any of this helps the Habs whatsoever.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

19. Sakus Evil Twin says:

Awesome. Hal Gill 2.0

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

Bergevin has officially moved into Rejean Houle territory.

21. Un Canadien errant says:

Crooked, crooked, crooked…

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m2 minutes ago

John Scott was previously asked by both NHL and Arizona Coyotes to bow out of NHL All-Star Game. He refused. Trade likely takes care of that

I really hope that this isn’t true, that Marc Bergevin wouldn’t stoop to this level of deceit.

———————————————————————–

22. JohnBellyful says:

I hate to say it but I don’t think the Habs win this trade, because it looks like Scott will fit in TOO well with the team in not getting respect from officials.
    Take a look at the photo, even the referee is punching him!

23. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Next outfit we are going to see MB in will be a purple suit with white face paint and red lip stick. This is a farce.

24. chilli says:

@TheSwiftianAge:

The coaches job is not to develop players. His job is to win hockey games and put forth the best players in order to achieve that goal.

If the player is good enough, like Beaulieu, or Pateryn…then he gets ice time and we call that ‘development’. If a player is not good enough, he has to develop in the AHL – which is what is happening with MaCarron.

The coach does not have 3 years to develop a player that is not up to snuff as the coach will most likely no longer be the coach in 3 years if he does so.

Tinordi was drafter 6 years ago people. The same year as our Assistant Captain Brendan Gallagher. A year before Beaulieu. He is not good enough to make this current edition of the Habs.
    Plain and simple.

• Kooch7800 says:

tinordi will play in the NHL next year. How about the two guys we picked up ? Do you think they will?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The asset was mismanaged. That is why people are upset. He should have been dealt long time ago.

• cautiousoptimist says:

Coach’s job is to win hockey games — but not just today. He’s supposed to help the team win as many games as possible today, next month, next year and beyond. And the way you do that is by developing a pipeline of talent and increasing responsibility so that your success today becomes sustainable tomorrow.

“Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.” -Jacques Lemaire

25. Huh says:

I think I figured it out.

JDLR is called up.

JDLR is a pretty guy.

After the Chucky incident, MB is worried about his young, good looking players off the ice.

Therefore John Scott comes in to add protection for JDLR off the ice when going out to score.

26. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

I am not saying that the Habs are going to change coaches …. but the parallel to a team last year that was in the playoff hunt and publicly said “we’re not good enough” is intriguing:

Coach: Randy Carlyle (21-16-3), Peter Horachek (9-28-5)

Really, this trade is a talisman, a methaphor, a symbol, call it what ever you like but this is the comfortably gloved middle finger of MB to the sheep like fans.

For years we have had the “grinding” Habs, ekeing out boring, stultifying, #eventheNewJerseyDevilswereembarrassed brand of hockey and being told to enjoy the winning. You mean cheer on Carey Price right?

Now that fig leaf has been wrenched away and we have the same old boring, grinding, pathetic boring Habs and they LOSE! a LOT!.
    Enough! Demand better.

I asked last year if people should expect a better product; that this is the entertainment business and if you are not being entertained, why are you going through the Catholic Masochism and wearing the scratchy sweater of MT Hockey while sitting on the Hard Pews. Why?

I ask again.

Who is going to give you an exciting rush up the ice PK? Not anymore? Who is cycling the net to feed the trailer coming in the slot? Max?, nope.

MB, come out and admit that this team is lousy, you have no goal scorers in the pipeline and you need to rebuild like Toronto finally admitted.

There are what 38 games left? Without Price for 12?, do you think that three teams are not going to be the three games better than us leaving us just out of the playoffs and picking mid pack?

It’s over folks, demand better.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

27. Storman says:

Stop being hard on Marc, we won that trade by two inches

28. Prop says:

Probably the saner things I read on the trade…for what it’s worth

“My understanding is that the deal, at it’s core, is Tinordi for Elliott and that the Habs are trying to flip Elliott to Nashville for Victor Bartley.
    Arizona has to keep putting Scott on waivers because of roster issues and also they were at 49 contracts so why not make Montreal take Scott as well? Montreal also saves about $200k on the salary cap by swapping Tinordi for Scott since Elliott and Bartley would be in the AHL.
    So while it’s a weird trade it isn’t completely out of left field.”
    ____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

29. HabsFansince49 says:

MB is a major disappointment. Another bullshit trade. He really screwed up giving big cash to mediocre players (e.g. Pleks). This reminds me of the Dave Nonis era.

30. habsfaninphx says:

Wait until tomorrow when the Coyotes announce they have traded Tinordi and a third to Tampa for Drouin.

Seriously, I could not understand why Phoenix signed John Scott and Steve Downie at the start of the season. It seemed to make no sense. Now it makes some.

As for the Habs, I still believe that MB knows what he’s doing. I’ll wait patiently for the trade deadline, hoping for a scoring right winger. (Vrbata?)

31. Rosieman says:

Why would you trade for two guys that have been on waivers?

Like freebies.

This team is in disarray.

And now DD is out ahead of galchenyuk at centre. Comical.

JDLR has 9 points in 24 Ahl games – that wil help?

Wow – just crazy

32. Chuck says:

He could have traded damaged-goods Carey Price for John Scott, and tossed Tinordi in for good measure. Now THAT would have been an impact trade!

33. Rosieman says:

Wouldn’t you think you could get draft pick for tinordi??

What do you need Scott for? I think MB is trying to fix the team toughness in One go – doesn’t work that way

This team is not constructed properly !! at centre – you can’t have both Pleks and DD soft and small. If you have Markov and PK and Petry and NB for puck movement (and now barbeiro) you can’t have Gilbert.

I laugh – I’ve heard posters call Gilbert an offensive defenceman – he has like 3 points. He needs to go packaged up to get a scoring winger.

And ffs do let’s send Carr down cause we can’t score and he’s on a 23 goal pace. Yup bring up JDLR who can’t score and never did at any level.

This coach is just an idiot and his players know it. His ice time usage is a joke as is his system.

Maybe we will get a shot a Austin.

And what a dumb trade – like really dumb. You gotta do better than that. !!

34. monmick says:

I hope Arizona sends Tinordi to the All-Star game as a replacement for Scott…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

35. marvin20 says:

yes trading Emilen and or Gilbert would bring in a quality player……thanks I have not had this good of a laugh all day,

36. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Wait a minute…what day is it….January 15th…damn.

37. on2ndthought says:

January 22nd, 2016:
    Jarred Tinordi was picked up off of the waiver wire by Montreal Canadiens General Manager Marc Bergevin. The Arizona Coyotes placed Tinordi on waivers yesterday after three disappointing performances. Bergevin was quoted as saying “Tinordi just needed some NHL experience to get up to speed. We see him taking over the top pairing with PK”

In related news, Andre Markov was placed on waivers by the Montreal GM.

“a cannonading drive”

38. Price07 says:

Well I don’t see why we hung on to Tinordi so long just to trade him for scrap. I mean Scott is the worst player in the NHL and the other dude I couldn’t even find him on Nashville’s website as a current player or prospect so…

39. trade_centre says:

Dear H I/O

Is there room for one more person in “WTF is Bergevin doing?” party?

I realize I left it late to reserve my spot.

But if there’s space, I’d love to join.

Thanks.

t_c

Holy Moly!

40. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

He has a better coach now.

41. piper says:

WTF!!!! That’s it I’m done.

42. marvin20 says:

I thought I read over Christmas that the Simonds trade was a done deal? What happened ?? I Can’t believe it did not happen 🙁

43. Cee_8ch says:

I have always felt Bergevin was creating a Hab resurgence…..but this move forces me to re-evaluate. Am dumbfounded and speechless.
    This reeks of a John Ferguson Jr or Milbury trade.

44. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Why didn’t MB just take the chance and place Tinordi on waivers? Scott and Bartley are worthless (unless in the AHL defending prospects). If Tinordi is SOOOOO BAAAAAD, then he should have cleared. MB must really not care what people think about him fo him to make this deal.

45. Ozmodiar says:

Tinordi was a first round pick.

Along the way, his value went from 1st rd pick to zero.

The disappointing aspect in all this is that the Habs didn’t recognize this was happening before other teams did. You’d like to see the Habs a little ahead of the curve with respect to knowing his valuation. He was right under their noses, after all.

That’s disappointing. Bad asset management.

Then, acquiring Scott – embarrassing.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

When MB signed Emelin and Markov long-term, it allowed for only one LW spot for Tinordi and Beaulieu. Simple math. MB should have made a decision and dealt one of them then. This is a management failure.

• cautiousoptimist says:

Habs seem to have drafted well lately, but it seems we’re paying for several years of 1st-round futility: Leblanc, Tinordi, Fischer, Chipchura, Andrei Kostitsyn, Higgins, etc…

46. Un Canadien errant says:

“Memo To:” segment of TSN 1040 Vancouver

John Scott: See, I told you it was too good to be true. Signed, Rory Fitzpatrick.

John Scott: If you want to go to the All-Star Game, go. Who’s going to stop you? Signed, Sean Penn.

Gary Bettman: No one believes that John Scott was the pivotal piece in that trade. Signed, every fan in the world.

———————————————————————–

47. JohnBellyful says:

Why the anger? Isn’t this the BIG trade everybody wanted?

• Ozmodiar says:

6’8”

why did MB take the advice so literally?!

• JohnBellyful says:

And 6’6″ the other way.
        Has there ever been a bigger trade in NHL history?
        Didn’t think so.
        And Bergevin, who’s criticized for being so conservative with his deal-making, goes big rather than go home and he still gets slammed!
        For shame!

48. Paz says:

If I made a list of all the NHL players on the 29 other teams in the league, and then I added the 29 AHL teams each team has, and then I added every draft pick each team has made in the past 10 years, and then I added every possible pick that any team could make in the next 10 years….

John Scott would be the last name on the list.

49. GVZ says:

Hey Bergevin, Rome is still burning…stop your blasted fiddling.

50. GVZ says:

Even intolerant Rejean Tremblay is saying Tinordi was never given a real chance here.

51. Sebby says:

What a crap trade.

52. Marek says:

Call me crazy for not noticing but I never realized that Tinordi had such a great impact on this team that we are now in obvious tank mode since he’s gone.

Scott and Bartley will have the exact same affect as Tinordi…diddly squat. I see this as being more of a cap move than anything

• Kooch7800 says:

How does the kool aid taste? The point was we traded a player who could play in the NHL for two older players who will never play in the NHL. Does that sound like a smart move to you?
      Tinordi will be in the NHL next year. These other two we picked up will not be.

Why not send him on waivers?

53. Tripw says:

I kinda like the move. We have size and accountability from other teams on the ice. Maybe it will make our forwards more courageous. Lord knows they’ve been running around like PUSSY’s. Hope he knocks some heads of our younger players. We have been lacking accountability. I still think MT needs to go.

TW

• Huh says:

How will he do that playing on the rock?

Or playing on the 4th line for 2 mins per game?

Makes no sense.

• marvin20 says:

He will never play for either team

• Chuck says:

Ain’t no way the slow-as-molasses Scott ever plays for the Habs. An on the off-chanse he does, we should nickname him John “Scoot”.

• Arnold 56-79 says:

It’s a minor trade because Tinordi was never allowed to prove or disprove whether he was a legitimate NHL player. Poor asset management really because a number one pick with a decent skill set and physical tools for his position should have been given a thorough opportunity to show growth or potential. Or not. Even if he was terrible he still would have brought a similar return via a minor league transaction. Other organizations could have been tempted by his pedigree and size to at least take a low risk gamble. Or if he was waived or released his loss would be more acceptable. Although sketchy in his NHL chances this year he was mismanaged and under a glaring spotlight. Big defenseman traditionally take longer to develop, so he departs with an ‘incomplete’ grade.

And if it was a multi-player, three team deal that took weeks one would think that a more substantive package could have been brokered. They say the team that gets the best player wins the trade. The returns coming to the Habs are established minor leaguers. Tinordi? Like Kasian it will be interesting to see if Bergevin’s giveaways take on renewed NHL life.

The Ferguson-Shack melee was a real donnybrook, if not an outright brouhaha.

54. lakechamplain says:

So let’s try and get some sense of this hectic day: de la Rose, known for his defensive skills, is called up and Carr and Andrighetto, both of whom have outscored several starting Canadiens, are sent down. Should be a big boost to our offense. John Scott and Bartley, both of whom passed through waivers unclaimed, now are Canadiens and Jared Tinordi will get a chance to play hockey maybe without worrying that every single mistake he makes will get him more time in the press box. Hey, I get it; Therrien told Bergevin that he’s sure that if we can limit other teams to one goal rather than two or three we might at least get to overtime and hey, one point is better than none. And more grinders for the Montreal Grinders! At least players around the league playing the 4th line will have a little assurance at least that if they get cut or put on waivers that there’s a good chance the Montreal Grinders will pick them up.

Thanks for the big trade MB, this will shake those slacker players up. And you’ve made your coach happy. And poor Andrighetto and Carr; I warned them if they missed some checks, it was good night Irene.

55. Chuck says:

Man, folks on here are freaking out more than when that useless pud Halak was traded! 😉

56. D Mex says:

I found it !
    I found that positive side I was looking for !!
    – this makes the Prust – Kassian debacle look good
    Now we’ve got Scrivens and Scott.

Oh man, this is just so twisted … 😈

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

57. GrimJim says:

I think people need to read this (http://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-expected-value-of-nhl-draft-picks-1.317819) before critiquing a draft pick. Just because someone was picked in the first round doesn’t mean they are a superstar. The 22nd pick on average is a fringe NHL player. There is only a one in five chance that he will be a top-6 forward or a top 4 dman.

58. GVZ says:

I can hardly wait for Hickey’s take on what a great move this is. C’mon Pat, make us proud.

59. Habitant in Surrey says:

‘Stu Cowan ✔ @StuCowan1
    My column on #Habs Alex Galchenyuk a victim of being a Montreal Canadien #HabsIO: http://tinyurl.com/zjxsgd7 pic.twitter.com/Xc84eu6enr’

The above off of Cowan’s Twitter.

You know I’ve been doing this Habs Fan thing going on now 64 years. This is first time I have felt close to feeling Our Players actually might be ‘victims’.

60. JohnBellyful says:

Don’t think either player will find himself in greener pastures. One’s headed to The Rock, the other to sand.
    Still you have to ask: “MB, what on earth are you doin’?”

61. huge_polar_bear says:

MB doesn’t want to waive Tinordi because apparently there is interest in picking him up. Ok by that logic, trade him for a 6th round /7th round pick. Then pick up Scott and Bartley off the waiver wire. Net result you’re up a draft pick….

Am I missing something?

—————————————
    Normal people worry me…

• GVZ says:

MB is as dumb as oats.

• Chuck says:

This way the Habs can do the league a huge favour by making Scott ‘unavailable’ for the All-Star game.

• GrimJim says:

MB can only make that trade if some other GM is willing to actually give up a draft pick. “Why should I give you a draft pick if it’s likely that you will waive the guy and I get him for free? More people will diss me for trading an potential asset than for playing chicken with you. After all my fans are expecting that pick to be the next Jussi Jokinen or Henrik Zetterberg.”

• huge_polar_bear says:

GrimJim, you have a point. Maybe MB has been playing chicken with the rest of the league since the beginning of the season and he now lost. Still frustrating…

—————————————
        Normal people worry me…

62. GVZ says:

Good luck Tinner. Something tells me that by getting as far away from the tools that are running the show here, means that you will have the last laugh.

63. 6′ 3″ 226 LBS Stefan Fournier (RW) GONE!! Unbelievable!! GMMB needs to be FIRED immediately!! Enough is enough!! Not looking forward to this weekend games against Marlies. ICECAPS just got softer and gave up speed and GRIT. Carr and Andrighetto will get pounded with Marlies SIZE players. John Scott better be on sidelines. Useless as it comes. To slow and cannot play AHL game anymore. WTF!!

64. Mr. Biter says:

I cannot believe it. Finally an enforcer. Good luck to Tinordi in Phoenix as it seemed to management he had 7 better D men if front of him and he was not going to be playing unless there were injuries.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

65. boing007 says:

Send MB a continuous loop of canned laughter from a 70s Sitcom. A laugh a second.

Richard R

66. HNS says:

So what did this do??????????

67. Un Canadien errant says:

John Scott is surprised.

———————————————————————–

68. sirs81 says:

So before everyone goes crazy and attacks MB give him a couple days and see what happens. Maybe Tinordi asked for a trade ? We dont know any of the details that went on behind closed doors. And we just cleared cap space and a roster spot… So maybe just maybe there is another trade coming ? Or MB sees the team for what it is and will dump players at the deadline for picks etc…

69. TheCanadianDagger says:

The main issue isn’t that Tinordi only got a tree that can skate and another spare part, it’s that this definitively confirms that the Habs have wasted yet another first round pick, whether it was a bad pick or bad career management. This just makes it certain.

In my mind anyway, those of you who are losing their minds and compare this trade to a certain trade by Rejean Houle, please continue.

• Phil C says:

Sometimes first rounders don’t work out. About 20% if 1st rounders don’t make, that’s just the reality of drafting 18 year olds. There are 7 first rounders from the 2010 draft with less than 50 games. I don’t think it’s a sign of any failing in the organization. Otherwise, every team is failing.

I thought the Habs gave Tinordi every chance to develop. They got him into Junior hockey witha good club, he went to the WJC, played big minutes in Hamilton, was exposed to the NHL, including the playoffs, every season. Sometimes they don’t blossom, or take longer than the CBA currently allows.

• TheCanadianDagger says:

I’m of the opinion that his development was greatly mismanaged and that he could have been, and still can be, a solid top-4 NHL d-man.

• Phil C says:

Specifically how was he mismanaged? Most here agree he was 9th on the depth chart in Montreal. That’s a long, long way to being a top four defenseman. You can’t just give a player a roster spot and hope for the best when someone else is playing better.

70. Det. Sgt. Jocko says:

I can only wish Tinordi all the best. I think the guy has shown a lot of character throughout this year. A lot of guys would have been crying about wanting out to the media, if they were in Tinordi’s shoes.

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

• Forum Dog says:

Word up. Guy played hard when he got the chance and never complained. The opposite of, say, Drouin. I get people’s disregard for him, but personally I think he could have been more for MTL, and that some of failing lies with his coaches and management. It is so often said that big defencemen take time to fully develop. At not quite 24, this change of scenery could be just the opportunity he needs. Betting he gets in at least 25 games between now and the end of the season.

• Det. Sgt. Jocko says:

I hope so. This is one of very few cases where the Habs have traded someone and I hope he makes them look silly. Personally, I like Bergevin, and I feel he has done the right thing and surrounded himself with some good hockey guys, like Dudley. However, at this point, his sticking to Therrien is starting to remind me of Grima to Bergevin’s King Théoden.

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

71. tophab says:

play scott and nobody touch our small guys like gallager gets all the time.

72. Paz says:

Bergevin is an embarrassment.

73. GVZ says:

91.9 laughing at the move. They are also saying MT is gone next week. Anyhow this is the beginning of the end of MB. Next up…Pacioretty. The beginning of another 5 year plan folks.

74. Phil C says:

Just because the player didn’t work out doesn’t mean it was a bad pick. Taking a guy like Tinordi is usually a boom or bust type of pick. A bust more often than not.

On the flipside, they got Gallagher that year in the 5th round. He would be a 1st rounder if we redrafted 2010, so the Habs are even-steven. That’s how drafting goes, that’s why you need lots of picks.

Another way to look at it is that the Habs got Barberio for nothing. Now that he is a bonafide NHLer, someone has to go. Lose Tinordi, gain Barberio, even-steven.

Yzerman had to let Barberio go for the same reason the Habs are losing Tinordi; too many contracts, not enough room, too expensive on the cap.

• New says:

Another way to look at it is Price, Galchenyuk, and Gallagher spent minimal time being developed by the Canadiens – so they made it.

• dpeet says:

Holy crap , MB answer me this , we are weak at RW ,we gave up Fuornier a 6.3 – 224 lbs RW , there will be alot of season ticket holders here in St. John,s that are pissed right now, Fournier was one of there favorites.He can skate, hit and fight, go into tough areas of ice and score. All i can say , WOW.

• Phil C says:

Give me a break, Fournier can barely stay with St. John’s, he’s been up and down to the ECHL the last two years. He’s so far down the depth chart, he’d need a ladder just to see Friberg’s skates. If you like the goonery, this is your chance to buy a John Scott Ice Caps jersey.

75. JEfrocs says:

First it was Kassian, then it was Toker, and now Tinner. From what we got in return from these trades, it Looks like MB is more concerned with giving these guys a chance and a fresh new start, instead of dealing these guys for players that would actually improve our team. Cmon maaan!

• TheCanadianDagger says:

What could you have possibly expected for Tokarski?! And Tinodri, who hasn’t shown any signs of improvement or potential. I do think Kassian was worth another shot though. But the other two its nothing for nothing.