Canadiens acquire John Scott as Jarred Tinordi goes to Coyotes; Alex Galchenyuk back on wing

Jared Boll, John Scott

STU COWAN
MONTREAL GAZETTE

The Canadiens have added an all-star to their roster.

But before you get too excited, that all-star is John Scott.

Scott, a 6-foot-8, 260-pound forward with one assist and 25 penalty minutes in 11 games this season with the Arizona Coyotes, was acquired by Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin on Friday afternoon, along with minor-league defenceman Victor Bartley, in exchange for defenceman Jarred Tinordi and minor-league forward Stefan Fournier. Scott will report to the Canadiens’ AHL farm team in St. John’s, while Bartley will join the Canadiens in St. Louis, where the play the Blues Saturday night (7 p.m., SN, TVA Sports, TSN Radio 690).

Scott was voted by fans — obviously with a sense of humour and/or mischief — as one of four captains for the NHL All-Star Game on Jan. 31 in Nashville, which will be a three-on-three tournament. If Scott stays in the AHL, the NHL could rule him inelegible for the All-Star Game.

P.K. Subban is the only other Canadien named to the All-Star Game.

The deal puts an end to the Tinordi saga that dragged on throughout the first half of the season as the former first-round draft pick was made a healthy scratch night after night, playing only three games for the Canadiens while being held pointless. He was sent to St. John’s for a conditioning stint at one point, picking up two assists in six games. Tinordi was selected 22nd overall at the 2010 NHL entry draft.

“We are fortunate to have a lot of depth on the blue line and for that reason it became difficult for Jarred to earn a regular spot on our roster,” Bergevin said in a statement released by the Canadiens Friday night. “He showed great professionalism and kept a positive attitude. We wish him the best of luck with his new organization.”

Bartley had one assist in 14 games this season with the AHL’s Milwaukee Admirals. He has played 112 NHL games with the Nashville Predators, scoring one goal and adding 22 assists.

“Victor Bartley, 27, is a defenceman with good size with over 100 games played at the NHL level,” Bergevin said. “He adds depth to the group of defencemen of our organization. Steady on the blue line he has shown at the junior and the AHL levels that he can also contribute offensively.”

As for Scott, Bergevin said: “At 33, John Scott is a seasoned veteran with 285 NHL games under his belt. He will be bring experience to our group of forwards with the IceCaps in St. John’s.”

While it doesn’t seem like much of a return for a former first-round draft pick, the deal was easier for Bergevin to make since Tinordi wasn’t his pick. Pierre Gauthier was general manager when the Canadiens selected the 6-foot-6 defenceman, who should now finally get a chance to play with the Coyotes.

When asked after practice last week if he had received any message from the Canadiens about what the future might hold for him, the 23-year-old Tinordi said: “No. Like I said, I’m just taking it one day at a time, working hard in practice. I thought I did a good job when I got my opportunity in there, played some strong hockey, so we’ll see what happens.

The focus now will be on whether Scott will play at the All-Star Game. He was voted in by fans as captain of the Pacific Division team, but the NHL and the Coyotes had asked him not to attend. He said he was going to play.

“It’s one of those things where I don’t want to be made a joke of, I don’t want to be an embarrassment, I don’t want to embarrass the game in that way,” Scott told Fox Sports Arizona’s Todd Walsh after being voted in as an all-star captain. “I talked to some people, I talked to a lot of former players and everyone just said ‘go have fun with it and it’ll be a good experience.’”

Scott has been a healthy scratch for most of the season and was even placed on waivers at one point by the Coyotes.

“I talked to a lot of guys in my position throughout the last few weeks and it’s kind of nice,” Scott said after the all-star announcement was made. “I’ve grinded out a career here. It’s not easy being the odd man out (or) the odd man in. You never know where you stand, you never know if you’re going to play or not, you get sent down, you’re a forward or (defenceman).

“It’s one of those things where it’s a grind and just to get a little recognition is fun. I hope all the guys, who have been in my position, can take a little grasp of this and say ‘we did something.’”

In 285 career NHL games, Scott has five goals, six assists and 542 penalty minutes.

As for Tinordi, he should now finally get a chance to play with the Coyotes.

“Long story short, we think he’s a young player with upside,” Coyotes general manager Don Maloney said on the team’s website. “Jarred’s style of play is attractive to us. I know the league is going to mobile and puck-moving (defencemen), but you still need somebody in front of the net to protect your goalie and somebody with a little jam to his game. That’s what he has.”

(Photo by Ross D. Franklin/The Associated Press)

• John Scott becomes latest character in As the Habs Turn, by Stu Cowan

Growing pains continue for Galchenyuk

What does Alex Galchenyuk have to do to become the No. 1 centre with the Canadiens?

That was one of the questions put to coach Michel Therrien following Friday’s optional skate in Brossard before the team headed to St. Louis.

Galchenyuk finished Thursday’s 3-1 loss to the Chicago Blackhawks at the Bell Centre playing at left wing on a line with David Desharnais at centre and Paul Byron on the right.

“For us, you got to make sure you’re really responsible,” Therrien said. “For him as a young centreman, depending against who you play — and he was playing with young kids, he was playing lots of time with Danny Carr or (Sven) Andrighetto — those are young kids.”

Carr and Andrighetto were both sent down to the AHL’s St. John’s IceCaps on Friday morning, while Jacob de la Rose was called up. Therrien explained that he wanted more size on his fourth line and de la Rose is 6-foot-3 and 214 pounds.

“It’s tough for young players to play against top players in the league,” Therrien said about Galchenyuk as a centreman. “So it’s a process. They got a lot of responsibility, but yesterday playing with Desharnais I felt a little bit less responsibility defensively and he could concentrate about trying to generate more offensively. I think they had good scoring chances in the third (period). I thought those two together they were good.”

Galchenyuk logged 16:21 of ice time and had four shots on goal. However, he really struggled in the faceoff circle, winning only two of nine faceoffs. Desharnais picked up an assist on Byron’s goal and logged 18:24 of ice time with two shots on goal.

“I really like what I saw from those two together, David and Chucky,” Therrien said. “Those two guys played together on the power play and yesterday we’re trying to push. I like what I saw. So we’re going to continue the experiment. I haven’t taken a final decision yet (as far as the lines for Saturday’s game) but we’ll see tomorrow.”

When asked about putting Galchenyuk back at centre on the No. 1 line with Max Pacioretty and Brendan Gallagher, Therrien said: “We tried the experiment for three games and, honestly, they didn’t have not one scoring chance.”

Mr. Positive

Dale Weise, who has been sidelined since suffering an upper-body injury during the Winter Classic on New Year’s Day (it’s to his right hand or wrist), took part in Friday’s optional practice and will be back in the lineup Saturday night if he gets medical clearance.

Weise was asked what he learned by watching the last four games from the press-box level.

“When you watch the game, everything looks extremely slow and everything looks extremely easy,” he said. “It’s easy to pick things apart. I see from a media’s perspective how you guys see the game now, it looks very easy.

“You can pick up some things when you watch the game,” he added. “When you get on the ice, things happen quite fast.”

But Weise added that he liked what he saw from his teammates Thursday night against the Blackhawks.

“I liked our last game … I liked the way we played last night,” said Weise, who has 11 goals and nine assists in 40 games this season. “I felt we played great. I thought second and third period the ice was tilted in our favour against a club like that, who’s obviously the hottest team in the NHL right now.

“You got to feel good about yourself,” Weise added. “You got to find ways to be positive and feel good about yourself in situations like this. Watching from the outside, I loved our effort yesterday. I thought we had some guys really step up and I thought we had good depth throughout everybody. I feel good about our game.”

With Friday’s player moves and with his status still uncertain, Weise was asked what the lines might look like against the Blues.

“I have absolutely no idea what the lines would be,” he said. “I think the only line that would be for sure is our top unit (of Max Paciorety, Tomas Plekanec and Brendan Gallagher), and I thought they played good yesterday. I think that’s the only line that would probably stay together. Other than that, I don’t know what the combos would be. We have a couple of guys coming and going.”

When asked if he’d like to be reunited with Desharnais and Tomas Fleischmann, Weise said: “I’d love to play with those guys, obviously.”

A little goalie advice?

With the Canadiens struggling to score goals — they’ve averaged less than two goals per game since Dec. 1 while posting a 5-14 record — Mike Condon was asked if he has given any scoring advice to his teammates from a goaltender’s perspective.

“Not really,” the 25-year-old rookie said. “I’ve only been in this league for four months now, so these guys have played in the NHL for a long time and I think everyone here is an accomplished goal-scorer in their own right. But sometimes if we see something, (goalie coach) Stéph Waite or Benner (goalie Ben Scrivens) or myself will give guys opinions on where we think goalies are vulnerable.”

Right now, any kind of advice might help.

1,343 Comments

1. FormalWare says:

The GM works in mysterious ways.

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

• New says:

All part of the big plan.

NHL players have a very short career. Executives have long careers, usually though with many different teams.

This is good for both Habs management and for Tinordi who didn’t rock the boat. The unfortunate capsizing has nothing to do with Tinordi. Hope he does well.

2. JohnBellyful says:

When the Canadiens signed Byron my reaction was “Good Lord!”
    Today’s: “Great Scott!”
    I’m in a state of befuddlement.
    Don’t think this acquisition will turn out to be as pleasant a surprise.

3. The Gumper says:

We can’t draft players. We can’t develop players. We can’t motivate our veteran core. Everything that doesn’t make sense only makes sense when you realize that Pricer is out for the year and everyone in the organization has either known or suspected it.
    We are 13 points out of dead last and at this rate should take no more than two weeks to get there.
    It’s like Sammy Pollock made a deal with the Devil and the “future considerations” have fallen due.
    This is going to get ugly….

• Marek says:

ummmm Price, PK, Patches, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Markov. Plex. Say what you want about how they are playing now but they have all been successful at some point and have all been drafted and developed by the habs.

• Gerry Pigeon says:

My first thought when I read The Gumper’s comments were “Exactly”
        Then I read your list of draft picks, and think, yeah, those are decent players. So what gives? Why has this team gone in the crapper?

I always think they need more offence and size, and without it, need to play harder than the opposition, skate faster, block shots, depend on Price and some opportunistic counter attack goals. With Price down, and Gallagher missing for a good stretch, Habs sucked. So while the players listed are good, apparently, they’re not enough, or there needs to be a different mix, one with more offence, grit, backbone. We can’t keep on the plan that says we’ll depend on Price to help us win all games 1-0…

Preparation + Opportunity = Good Luck

• New says:

Get ugly? 4-15 isn’t ugly enough?

4. UKRAINIANhab says:

Embarrassing.

5. bwoar says:

HI/O Show, Episode 15: Struggling Canadiens making news for the wrong reasons. #14 Is Jaw-Dropping

6. --Habs-- says:

Well it’s official! WE finally have someone in the lineup that can officially fight and a pretty damn good one at that when the time comes. IT may come in handy when playing the Sens in round 1 or 2.
    “Habs” Watch and learn….! Or Not!

7. johnyk says:

I’m jumping off the bandwagon into a lifeboat.
    Johnyk

8. Habfan17 says:

John Scott, the new Georges Parros

Either Therrien said to MB
    1) Get me a huge pylon to plant in front of the net on the PP.
    2) Therrien wanted an enforcer for the locker room to bend the players to his dump and chase will.
    3) Therrien needs protection from the players ready to throttle him for his dump and chase plan.

Habfan17

9. bwoar says:

Bah, sent to the Rock. No reason to waste any of my weekend watching this club.

10. Slack says:

Lots of people lapsing into seizures/pulling hissy fits/trying to swallow their tongues over the Scott trade.

It really isn’t that big of a deal.

A couple of GMs doing each other a favor.

Everyone is itching for a blockbuster deal and they are met with this minor deal instead. Its your own damn fault if you are disappointed. Do you guys really thing acquiring Scott was in MB’s plans? Who knows what Tinordi becomes. If he ends up becoming a prominent NHL regular on a contending team I’ll come back and say it was crappy asset management. But if Tinordi does nothing are any of you going to bite the bullet and say you were wrong to leap to the conclusion that MB is too busy suit shopping to make a trade? Somehow I doubt it.

Step away from the ledge.

———————————————————
    “… another beer is what I need!”

• Heisenberg says:

It doesn’t matter whether Tinordi ever plays in the NHL now, you are conveniently neglecting how this is yet again another wasted first-round draft pick. But it’s good to have some posters taking a contrary perspective despite the fact it is a disingenuous one.

• Marek says:

Exactly Slack. Scott UFA…off the books by next year plus saving 300k this year. Bartley has been more productive as an NHL’er than Tinordi has been so far. To top it all off, NONE of these players were/are going to crack the Habs lineup. Tinordi was 9th d-man….the only thing that stinks is that he was a first rounder but that’s what happens when you take a chance sometimes

• Huh says:

I honestly respect your unwavering positive stance in spite of the teams terrible, terrible play.

They are trending downwards and yet you remain resolute.

I am not being facetious in any way.

I just don’t see things the same way you do.

Barring a significant move, I see the s**t storm rapidly approaching, if we’re not already in it.

Cheers regardless!

• Marek says:

Huh, never once did I say that they were playing good at the current time. I was only making the point that this trade will have no affect on the remainder of the season, tell me how it does?

• Forum Dog says:

Sure, although I don’t think Bergevin does his own suit shopping. Because if he does, well….

You make a good point Slackman, but there are many among us who need to vent right now, what with all the losing and player development issues. It’s a bit of a mess. Can you at least cut us that?

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Agree Slack – it is not a big deal and that’s the point. I accept that there is not a deal to be made in the Ultra Cautious, Falling Dollar NHL. I can’t accept that they are just letting the year fritter away.

Seriously, this is like 2011-12 right now except we don’t bother waiting for the last thirty minutes of the game to lost.

Yep, MT and MB have turned them into overachievers. Huzzah!

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• New says:

And if Tinordi does become the next Chara or whatever the team will say they were in a box. That they had a surplus of NHL level D above Tinordi and it wasn’t fair to him. Of course they’ll forget that they went out and scooped up every NHL D who wasn’t locked down which effectively put Beaulieu, Pateryn, Tinordi, and all those D draft picks in perpetual developmental limbo.

11. fitzy56 says:

You know what would be nice? FOR ONCE to see an interview with MB and MT where they are asked HARD questions. Such as your team has been garbage for a month now, are you guys planning on doing anything about it? Your team can’t score goals, so you got John Scott….care to elaborate?

• huge_polar_bear says:

Or asked, if you wanted John Scott, why didn’t you just pick him up for free on waivers?
      – Oh what you wanted Bartley? then why didn’t you pick him up for free on waivers?

—————————————
      Normal people worry me…

• Chuck says:

This trade wasn’t about getting John Scott; it was about a way to move Tinordi out and get something in return, including a bit of cap space and a mark in the favour bank. If this is a way to keep Scott from playing in the All-Star game, then Bergevin just did the NHL a huge solid.

12. japh10409 says:

After my initial confusion at all this, one big trade that means something and everyone will forget this even happened… We’re all champing at the bit to land the guy who’s going to cure the Habs’ scoring woes. Doesn’t look like that’s going to happen yet. Or maybe ever.

13. Kooch7800 says:

Honestly is Tinordi that much worse than Emelin….I think not

• Heisenberg says:

Because the wise, almighty, and omnipotent Bergevin signed Emelin to that dreadful contract, Emelin will play no matter who the competition. They could have a young Guy Lapointe in the system, and Emelin still wouldn’t be dislodged with that contract.

• Forum Dog says:

I don’t think so, but I have to say, some real, classic body checks laid by #74 last night.

When he’s good he’s good, but I think he’s missing some frontal lobe. Bit of a slack-jawed look about him at times, and the consistency is atrocious.

14. on2ndthought says:

A repost for those ready to jump:
    Gally is a big NFL fan, quite knowledgeable. He is also a big Bengals fan and wrote this:
    “But of course the Bengals lose in a way only the Cincinnati Bengals can lose a football game.

And it was devastating.

Did I sleep that night? No. And honestly, for the first time in my life I felt like I couldn’t be a fan of this team anymore. But then I came to my senses about an hour later. I’ve been through so much as a Bengals fan, this has to be rock bottom. It can’t be any worse. I can’t feel any more pain than I felt that day.

I’m sticking with my boys. I had an hour there where I was a little weak; they hurt me bad. But I got back on board and I’m looking forward to next year.”

Being a Habs fan is feeling a bit like being a Bengals fan these days. I guess I’ll stick it out.

“a cannonading drive”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Can I ask, seriously, how did you become a Bengals fan? What brought you to that decision? I’m always curious how Canadian fans choose an American football team to root for.

• on2ndthought says:

Dec 23rd, 1973. The Truesdale clan arrives at their new home in Cincinnati, Ohio. Christmas shopping in shirtsleeves the next day. A year and a half to high school graduation. Reds fan and Bengals fan forever.

“a cannonading drive”

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’ll allow it.

And sorry about that whole ‘Mike Brown is the owner of your team’ deal.

Having Dean Spanos as the double-dealing schmuck owner of my team made me renounce it.

15. Mick says:

Victor Bartley is 27? what does this do for the habs? MB is lost and in a world of hurt. John Scott????? I wonder what Timo will say,LOL.

16. fitzy56 says:

I agree this is a nothing trade. After a month of being terrible this is the big move? Doomed comes to mind.

17. mchenske4 says:

What!?! Man, this is so discouraging 🙁

18. TheCanadianDagger says:

Tinordi for Scott is nowhere in the same universe as Roy for those spare parts. Wow, Tinordi is all of a sudden a perennial Norris Trophy candidate?

19. Kooch7800 says:

Poor Asset Management….

20. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Having processed this…what would you be willing to give up for another team’s 9th defenceman?

I mean, seriously, that’s what Tinordi was. And he never showed any indication in any of the games I saw of being any better than that.

It was a bad draft pick at a time when the team was desperate for size. No one was going to give a second or third or probably even fourth or fifth round pick for this guy.

He just simply isn’t that good at hockey, it appears.

• Huh says:

I think it’s less a matter of that and more a matter of what the current needs of the team are.

Those needs are not being addressed and this is the trade that MB makes.

That’s what’s getting ppl all up in arms.

And regarding Tinordi, they could have moved him last year or the year before or before the start of the season. Instead they wait till he has less than zero value.

Sure he was not gonna get us a top tier scorer, but this????!!!!!

Uuggghhhh……..

• D Mex says:

Be interesting to know the basis for your assessment of Tinordi’s value :
      – The grand total of 46 games played for the CH over 4 seasons perhaps ?

John Scott, on the other hand …
      – 265 NHL games played – we know what we’re getting.

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• Un Canadien errant says:

Our 13th forward?

21. habfaninottawa says:

What. The. Flock.

22. Say Ash says:

Berkshire pointed out that even NHL 16 wouldn’t accept this trade

23. Marek says:

How do any…ANY of these players in this trade affect the outcome of the season? Scott and Bartley (who is actually more productive than Tinordi throughout his career) will not play with the Habs….why on earth is this such a catastrophe?

24. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Out of all of this the worst has to reading from Dreger

I’m told this 3-way trade Nash-Ariz-Mtl took a few weeks to bring together.”

A few weeks! ….. can you imagine how long it will take to get a roster player!!!!

Surely we can resurrect Frankie B, Mathieu Darche, Diaz et al and go for the lottery …?

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

25. ooder says:

imo this is a completely useless trade. The funniest thing, is that “it took weeks” to put it together

26. DAVE. N says:

Victor Bartley was signed three-year, $2 million contract by Nashville. He was paid $600,000 in both 2013-14 and 2014-15, and $800,000 in 2015-16. Doesn’t cost Mtl anything and they do the Coyotes a favor. Scott has a cap hit of $575,000. Cash dump.
    Tinordi was an error as a number one pick. Not really a hockey trade; more like a few neighbors cleaning up each others recycle bins

• That’s three major errors in the last 10 years in the first round. That is what is so discouraging. Timmin’s et al are touted as being so sharp, yet we have LeBlanc, Tinordi and Fleischer to include in that portfolio. Look at Detroit, Chicago? Have the Habs really become that poor a team in all aspects of management to be included even below Arizona who at least have a Doma and Duclair?

I’m really pissed! 22 years and counting…

27. FenceSurfer says:

We gained an inch over Tinordi with Scott. We’re getting bigger boys!

28. scarboro_habitant says:

MB better have something up his sleeve..hab fans are reaching for their pitch forks…..

29. Phil C says:

I’m happy for Jared, he deserves better than sitting in the pressbox. He moves well for a big man, so with the right coach, who knows.

It will also be easier for Arizona to put him on waivers, they don’t have much invested, which is probably what his career needs at this point so that he can play in the AHL when he can’t crack the lineup in the NHL.

30. Chuck says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is just a favour being done.

Tinordi obviously didn’t get a bite in trade talk, and he wasn’t going to play for the Habs. I hope that his Dad mark enjoys visiting him in Arizona.

If Scott reports to the AHL then it gives the NHL a convenient way to undo the bogus fan balloting for the All-Star game, and they don’t have to showcase the joke of Scott in a 3-on-3 tournament on National TV.

But maybe in 2 weeks after a training stint in the AHL we get introduced to our new 6′-8″ goalie. 🙂

31. zak says:

Well, that was another waste of a first round pick.

32. chilli says:

Some you fine folks are nuts.
    Tinordi had zero value on the market and was never going to make the Habs.
    Ever.
    He’s not good.
    Every defenseman that was behind him in line since the day he became a Hab has jumped him. Including now Mark Barberio who is playing well and should stay up with the big club.

This is simply our GM dumping a player.

• monmick says:

If that is the case, why not simply waive him…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• cautiousoptimist says:

I suppose Bartley isn’t terrible to have in the AHL, better than no return at all. But yeah, I’m at a loss too.

“Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.” -Jacques Lemaire

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m beginning to wonder that same question. If he can’t return a 7th round pick, like Jim Benning said was true about Zack Kassian last spring, then you have to wonder if any other team would claim him on waivers, if they had to stash him on their 23-man roster at close to a million in cap hit.

• monmick says:

And free up a contract spot. Now it looks like, after all this Habs have one less available contract spot…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Un Canadien errant says:

2 for 2, Scott and Bartley for Tinordi and Fournier. Even steven.

• monmick says:

I didn’t know about Fournier. Listening to TSN690 and they haven’t mentionned it. Is he going to Arizona or Nashville?

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Heisenberg says:

This is a red herring. Who here today claims Tinordi could yield a legitimate scorer? My lament is that this is yet another wasted first-round draft pick.

• habitual says:

The frustration is that he was not given a fair shot at sticking. A team usually allows their first rounders some time. At 23 now, with little playing time to grow, I have to think that Therrien did neither Tinordi nor the Habs a favour by not giving him ice time as a 6th D for 10 games in a row to see how he did.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

The flip side of that would be that he didn’t earn a chance to play. Why put him ahead of Pateryn and Barberio if they play better?

From what I saw, he simply wasn’t that good. I’d rather have the two above play. I think he was given several shots and never did anything to prove he should stay.

I echo Heisenberg. It was just a bad draft pick.

• The Swiftian Age says:

So you’re the reasonable poster who comes in after all the heated discussion and offers a “sober” POV? Sorry. Not buying it. Just about every time we can point to a player who’s “behind” someone else in the lineup or “lower on the depth” chart, we have to look to the coach, who has made Therrible mistake after Therrible mistake as far as personnel choices go. At one point, Douglas Murray was higher on the depth chart than Nate Beau; does that mean we should accept the judgement/choice?

And as far as “dumping a player” goes, yes, Tinordi’s value had dropped. But again, we should blame the coach for that – for the horrendous development – and NOT the player himself. The Habs under MT – and I would now add MB – have continued to mismanage players and ensure that the team will take steps back, after taking so many forward.

Lilliput for the Lilliputians!

33. The Puckhound says:

and signing Tomas (I can’t score anymore) Plekanec, Signing Semin, Signing Kassien, signing PK one year to late…..it goes on and on and on……

Forever #4

34. cautiousoptimist says:

OK, trying to look at this from MB’s point of view…

I get that MB wanted to give the kid a chance to play somewhere. Fournier was never going to play in the NHL — that’s just one less unhelpful contract. And the deal frees up a small amount of cap space. Plus, some folks will be happy to see Scott punch people in the head (though it sounds like MB is sending him to St. John’s, so at least Therrien won’t have a chance to give him 14 minutes a game).

But the big takeaway here is that for whatever reason, with all the information at his disposal (way more than we’ve got), MB determined that Tinordi will never be more than a borderline NHL player (much like Bartley). I guess we’ll just have to trust his judgment in the short term and see whether Tinordi proves him right or wrong… I love our team, but I’m rooting for the kid.

35. secretdragonfly says:

Oh man, it’s Laraque/Murray/Parros all over again. Isn’t the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? I need a drink.

36. Ktowner says:

Maybe the managerial brain trust knows something we don’t?????

Maybe as someone else said this is the start of something else?????

Sheesh!!!!!

37. habs-fan-84 says:

Good thing MB inherited a team that included Price, Subban, Pacioretty and Gallagher…

38. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

TANK!

Time for old friend Tom Nickles aka Loonie to say “I told you so” about “Mark the Mouth”

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• Marek says:

So…we lose Tinordi for a more productive D-man, get Scott who will save the team some Cap space and now we are tanking? How does that many any sense? How will ANY of these players in the trade affect the outcome of this season?

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

I have no problem with what this trade is; the Bruins gave up on Nokkalinen back in the day (1st rounder) and I never overvalued Tinordi.

My real problem is that if it is taking all this time for some GMs to wash each other’s clothes in the public square, there is little faith among us that MB will do anything to address the glaring lack of scoring.

it is tanking by deed and omission; you stand pat rather than take a risk with your top six, you keep MT to dull your chances at offence, you bring up DLR (god love him) and demote the skilled kids who have scored.

Not out of the imagination that they go 3-9 before Price comes back and are out if contention. Then he can finish the job by dumping Gilbert, Pateryn, Byron, Flynn etc, putting Eller out of his misery by trading him for a second round pick and a new suit.

The TANK will be on

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

39. Huh says:

There HAS to be more going on…..

There HAS to be…..

HAS to be…..

40. La Duke 16 says:

I’m confused…..what’s the point??

41. HabsKid says:

We could have just gotten Ryan White back. At least he’s scored 4 goals this year.

42. The Puckhound says:

Bartley and Scott will both join the Canadiens’ AHL farm team in St. John’s Ice Caps!!!!!!!!!
    Bergevin’s wears those funny styled suits for a reason.

Forever #4

43. ProHabs says:

Reports are they got John Scott to protect Galchenyuk from the GF. Makes sense.

44. Un Canadien errant says:

Can someone go back a few threads and dig up all the trade scenarios whereby Jarred was a component in a trade for Ryan Johansen or Kerby Rychel or Jordan Eberle (“The Oilers need defencemen!”)? Please? I really need a laugh.

———————————————————————–
    So my resolution for this season is, taking Hal Gill’s injunction to heart, to “let P.K. be P.K.” I’m not going to try to hold him to the standard of Raymond Bourque or Chris Chelios, I’m going to allow him to be himself, with all his glory and his little foibles. (…) I’m celebrating P.K., not trying to improve him. Anymore.

45. Thomas Le Fan says:

People are way over valuing Tinordi just because he was a first round draft choice. A couple of things become obvious. Tinordi was never a first rounder and that’s where any criticism of management should lie. Secondly, like Komisarek, he was a big kid who had never been pushed around and once he was, he never regained confidence. It’s pretty apparent that Tinordi was never going to make this team and we have too many defencemen to keep them all. So lose someone through waivers? Everybody unhappy. Lose Tinordi for Scott and whatshisname? No big deal. This kid is not Ryan McDonough, that’s clear.

When everyone’s thinking the same … it’s likely no one’s thinking at all.

• petemahovlichHOF says:

He was initially promising but several concussions derailed his development.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Yea, I agree. Initially I was expecting more for Tinordi and then I started thinking with my non-Habs fan hat on. The guy can’t crack the Habs roster which has been pretty depleted by injury. It’s not like other teams are knocking down MB’s door to get our 9th dman on the depth chart.

So he saved a bit of cash and freed up a roster spot.

Good luck getting that message through to the gang on here though 😉

46. Ghosts of the Forum says:

The more I think about this, the more I think all it is telling us is that Tinordi didn’t hold much value at all. It was a bad draft pick, not a bad trade.

47. Heisenberg says:

This current team cannot score goals, but Bergevin trades for a player who has five goals and six assists in 285 career NHL games. It will be fun to see the posters who think Bergevin is such a great general manager come here and defend this trade. Let the contorted and distorted argumentation begin!

48. Thanks Stu Cowan! I forgot about LeBlanc as another first round pick that turned into a bag of pucks! You go Timmins!

I’m really pissed! 22 years and counting…

49. Un Canadien errant says:

Renaud Lavoie‏@renlavoietva

Victor Bartley and John Scott will go play with the IceCaps #canadiens

———————————————————————–

50. Captain aHab says:

Is that a fact?

—————-
    Prepare to be boarded!!

51. FenceSurfer says:

We can all hope this is the beginning of something big in the works.

52. Dunboyne Mike says:

Calling Timo. Calling Front.

53. Luke says:

This is so dumb.

I’m going for beers.

54. Islandhabber69 says:

I just shat my pants in disbelief….what a joke mb…..i no longer have any faith in u…now….now I am ever so close to watching the leafs instead……that other player habs got,better be the sleeper….simply..omg…

• Alex_425 says:

If you’re really “ever so close” to defecting and watching the Leafs play, then you were never worthy of being a fan of the Montreal Canadiens.

55. habs001 says:

Scott maybe three years ago after a couple of beat downs by the Bruins……

56. boing007 says:

What a larf! Boedeker, sure. Scott, what the hay? Maybe they needed him as a model for a new statue outside the Bell Centre?

Richard R

57. Heisenberg says:

I am glad to see Tinordi get a real chance elsewhere. The Montreal Canadiens just can’t develop players anymore. This organization used to turn players like Craig Ludwig and Chris Nilan into productive on-ice presences. Unfortunately, Scott isn’t going to help this current team’s absence of courage and will.

58. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I guess, if Tinordi doesn’t turn into anything, this really has zero consequence on anything.

We do, myself included, tend to overvalue our own players. Maybe no one in the league is much interested in Tinordi. Rather than let him go for nothing on waivers, you get a guy who can help the farm team, I guess.

I haven’t looked, but if he saved any cap space, that’s a good thing too. Man, I miss CapGeek.

Anyway, that’s my attempt at glass half full. Looking at it from that perspective, the mistake was not this trade, but drafting Tinordi in the first round. And trading to move up to get that pick.

59. HabSgt says:

Well, this season is officially over. Go Als! Go Impact!
    They really should not have given up on Tinordi, I think he will have a much better NHL career now. Or at least, an NHL career…

Winter is coming.

60. Dunboyne Mike says:

Ah Burly!

Not Torres?

61. songles says:

I… don’t get it.

62. habfan01 says:

Well, this will certainly put an end to our scoring drought.

63. Phil C says:

This move was all about keeping Barberio in the lineup. But honestly, for that return, it might have been worth trying to slip him through waivers. Maybe I’m undervaluing Bartley.

64. Dunboyne Mike says:

Umm, did someone post, “Parros II”?

Don’t think so! Wasn’t Parros an Ivy Leaguer?

Judging by Scott’s comments above, he is not an Ivy Leaguer.

65. habitual says:

Good news: Bartley was – 7 in the AHL this year.

66. Welks says:

MT must be happy he finally has a guy to fit his system. They are a team full of grinders as he says.

67. Ozmodiar says:

John Scott quote:

“I’ve grinded out a career here. …. ”

This is too good ….
    🙂

68. homerbowen says:

I think MB has been around MT too long. Give up on Kassion, give up on Tinordi, give up on youth. These moves wiil come back to haunt them. Next they will trade a ton of young talent for an untried Drouin just to keep the “media” happy. Unbelievable, management is losing it. Just sick.

69. FenceSurfer says:

Scott is 6 foot 8? Wow.

70. Luke says:

I’m more upset about this cluster than I was about McDonagh.
    At least that was a shot at something.
    This is a joke.

John’s a good guy. Local dude, funny, pleasant and a smart fella. Nothing personal, but this is awful.

I think MTL may be helping the Coyotes and the NHL if this winds up getting him clipped from the All-Star game, as has been suggested.

But you typically get some sort of bonus for charity work.
    Not the two worst players in a 5 player deal.

• Ozmodiar says:

upset?

what if i reminded you that the Habs could have picked Kuznetzov instead of Tinordi in the draft??

could have had EK, have Scott instead.

• Luke says:

That doesn’t bother me.
        They could have picked a million guys instead… they could have had Pysyk or Howden…

Hind-sighting the draft doesn’t bother me at all.

Looking at this trade in the ‘right now’ does.

71. The Swiftian Age says:

If this was a joke, good on you, Bergevin! If this has really happened, this TEAM is a joke. A punchline for years to come.

Lilliput for the Lilliputians!

72. Ozmodiar says:

DSP didn’t offer enough protection as Chucky’s wing man, I guess.

Tinordi traded for Scott + Bartley + mockery

73. gordispitz says:

WTF, i broke my ankle jumping off the bandwagon

74. PK says:

Wonderful news – if you are on the Tankwagon.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

75. He better be off to the Rock, because if he wears this Iconic jersey, I will never wear this jersey again (as long as he’s on the team). That’s a Promise!

I do not want to be apart of an organization who thinks this player belongs in the NHL.

“The Tank is fueling up, and ammo being loaded”

They call me Shane