Canadiens acquire enforcer Parros from Panthers

The Canadiens have acquired enforcer George Parros from the Florida Panthers in return for forward Philippe Lefebvre and a seventh round pick at the 2014 NHL draft (previously acquired from Florida during this year’s draft).

Parros, 33, posted 1-1-2 totals in 39 games with the Panthers in 2012-13 while accumulating 57 penalty minutes. He had 53 hits and averaged 6:36 of ice time.

Since his NHL debut in 2005-06, Parros has 35 points (18 goals, 17 assists) in 452 NHL regular season games. The 6-foot-5, 228-pound forward has served 1,007 penalty minutes. Parros has added 35 penalty minutes in 19 career NHL playoff games.

A native of Washington, Pa., Parros was selected by the Los Angeles Kings in the eighth round (22nd overall) at the 1999 NHL draft. Prior to joining the Canadiens, he played with the Kings, Colorado Avalanche, Anaheim Ducks and Panthers during his NHL career.

“I’m excited to play in Montreal for certainly one of the best markets around for hockey,” Parros said on a conference call with media on Friday at 6 p.m.

“I’m not afraid to still mix it up,” he added.

“I know the type of player that I am. And hopefully I can produce offensively and be a benefit defensively for the team. But certainly I’ll try to bring my brand of hockey to the Habs.”

You can hear more of what Parros had to say by clicking here.

Lefebvre, signed as a free agent by the Canadiens on Sept. 15, 2009, played 23 games this past season with the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs, posting 4-3-7 totals. He added 16 points  in 28 games with the ECHL’s Wheeling Nailers.

Parros has spent most of his career as a fourth-liner, but Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin told reporters he brings “an aspect of respect, not only on the ice but with his teammates.”

The GM added: “He’s a guy that we did our due diligence … he’s a good person, he’s a high character guy that’s well-liked by his teammates and protects his teammates. At the time where we are right now with the Montreal Canadiens, I felt there was a need that we had to look at. And if you look around the teams near us, they all have that aspect in their lineup. It’s something that we need, and we all know what Brandon Prust does for our club … he stands up for his teammates … and now he’s going to have the help.”

Bergevin added that Prust has got “the heart of a lion.”

“He’s a warrior, he stands up for his teammates,” the GM said. “We saw what he did in Boston, what he did in Toronto, just to name a few. He’s always there for his teammates. It’s a hard job to do and you could tell him just not to do it, but he just can’t help himself. He’s just a warrior.”

So is Parros.

(Photo by Joel Auerbach/Getty Images)

NHL free agents signing tracker, NHL.com

Habs add size by acquiring enforcer Parros, by Pat Hickey

Habs fans debate Briere signing, by Stu Cowan

At 23, Habs prospect Nygren feels ready for NHL, by Pat Hickey

Undrafted players get shot at Habs camp, by Brenda Branswell

Agent for Price, Gallagher was once drafted by Habs, by Dave Stubbs

1,208 Comments

1. Thurston says:

From Adam Proteau of the Hockey News:

Hey Adam,

Marc Bergevin has stated may times that the Canadiens need balance in their lineup, which is a way to acknowledge that the team needs to get bigger. They seemed to sacrifice skill for size during the draft, and now they just signed Danny Briere, a small and fragile player, for two years and $8-million. I’m not thrilled at all by this signing. What do you think of this signing, and what kind of move would you expect Bergevin to make this summer? There are some rumors around Tomas Plekanec, but I would rather see David Desharnais, Brian Gionta, or Andrei Markov traded before the Habs’ best two-way forward.
    Shawn Lavoie, Boucherville, Que.

Hey Shawn,

I don’t see Briere as being the final piece of the puzzle in Montreal, but I also don’t think bringing him in is a bad move. Sure, it doesn’t address the Habs’ undeniable size issue, but Briere understands what it means for a French-Canadian player to pull on that famous jersey and is embracing it. That’s the type of team pride and character Bergevin and his management team told me they wanted to restore when they took over last summer.

I can’t see them moving Plekanec, a very useful and valuable player. Desharnais is coming off a disappointing year and he’d be my best guess as to who would be traded, but that said, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Montreal make relatively few changes from this point on. After all, this was a team that performed admirably during the regular season and had playoff troubles in large part due to Carey Price’s struggles.

I’m not saying I think the Habs are a true Stanley Cup frontrunner yet. I am saying that management is going to demonstrate patience with their group before embarking on some serious roster reshaping.

2. Dr.Rex says:

Ive been reading comment here the last day or so. ” WE are small” “we need toughness” ” we need a fighter” ” we need more size”/

Then we get a premier enforcer for nothing and some posters still complain. What a strange group of people.

• D Mex says:

For many folks who come here :
      - being a Habs fan translates to knowing more than most, and
      - knowing that much translates to generous levels of negativity.

Strange group ? … you’re too nice … :-)

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Willy the bum says:

Maybe it’s the strange group of people who like Phillipe Lefebvre or a 7th rounder pick.

• Un Canadien errant says:

You just watch, Philippe Lefebvre will blossom, just like Sergei Kostitsyn, and Andrei Kostitsyn, and Kyle Chipchura, and Matt D’Agostini, and and Ryan O’Byrne, and….

• HabFab says:

Even without the sarcasm, there is absolutely no chance at that. He unfortunately peaked at the age of 18 or 19 years old.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Wasn’t really going for sarcasm, just a little levity on a long day. I apologize if it came across as harsh.

• jols101 says:

We still have Gio, DD, Briere, and Gallagher in our top 6. Signing a 4th line goon that can’t play the game isn’t going to change that.

Gallagher is a keeper but 2 out of the other 3 have to go and be replaced with guys that have size and skill. Perron and Chris Stewart come to mind. Bobby Ryan would have been great. Clarkson ,although overpaid, would have been great.

I just hope Bergevin is still working on it. Cause he didn’t do anything of consequence today.

3. HabFab says:

Trade has Prust’s vote of approval it seems;

Brandon Prust – @GeorgeParros ohhhh yaaaaaaaa

4. Habfan10912 says:

This tweet from Prust is an indication on how he feels.

Brandon Prust ‏@BrandonPrust8
    @GeorgeParros ohhhh yaaaaaaaa

5. habfan01 says:

What did we do on draft day to get this 7th round pick from FL?

6. HabFab says:

Bergevin avoids question on whether Kristo traded for off ice problems.

7. Habfan10912 says:

Eye witness reports out of Development camp say Beaulieu and Thomas impressing,

8. HabFab says:

Jim Diamond – SK74 cleared waivers and he has signed in KHL. His contract has been terminated.

9. Chris says:

Only guy left in free agency that I would still consider is Ryan Jones.

I’m not sure why, in a year where everybody has lost their mind, that Jones hasn’t managed to land a deal somewhere. He works hard, and had 17 and 18 goal seasons before slumping this season due to injuries.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Same here, he is a very good penalty killer as well … always seemed like a bit of an enigma though … big but not always tough, tough but not always big.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

10. NightRyder says:

Parros is a pud who can’t play at all, but adding him for nothing isn’t the end of the world.

11. Adidess says:

Here is that character thing again. This is starting to feel like an empty word.

My favorite comment from Bergevin so far is ‘ Carey could have been better against Ottawa (he knows it), but he wasn’t’.

Now both Carey and the GM have admitted publicly that the goaltending wasn’t great this year in the playoffs. Here I thought the small D was the only culprit (sarcasm).

12. B says:

Toronto Sports Network refers to Prust as an “undersized forward”? He’s not a giant, but undersized?

–Go Habs Go!–

13. lyle_odelein says:

So we trade nothin to get an enforcer, and we still have people complaining. Is that the only time people comment? Cuz it seems like 80% of the comments on here are always negative. People saying they should have got a punisher with skill. Was there one available? Anyone know? I see comments about how mb should have signed with a player that signed elsewhere. Did he try? Anyone know? MB should have signed this guy, and should have signed that guy. Come on people. Who here knows what mb has tried to do? Just cuz someone signed for 700k on one team, doesn’t mean he would have signed on the habs. Maybe he was a bruins fan, and hates Montreal. Maybe he is one of the Canadians who hates Quebec, and doesn’t want to live there. Just cuz it’s the habs, doesn’t mean everyone wants to play for them. This message board reads like a leafs fan page.

People here have to realize its this kind of bullshit that had Horton go to Columbus. I’m a habs fan, but there is no way in hell I would ever play for them. Not with rabid, blood thirsty fans like this. Support your team, or go home. You think players are paid to put up with your crap? They are paid to play hockey. If they have a bad game, get behind them like you would a friend. If your friend played a bad game of hockey, would you run to the Internet to talk shit about him? Or would you get behind him, and give support. The more I read from habs fans, the more I’m embarrassed to be one.

Remember how the fans mocked Roy in his last game as a Hab? Remember how he won two more cups out of a habs jersey? Get a grip, and love your team. A real fan supports their team, for better or worse.

14. How is anyone upset about this? We move a 7th-round pick and a borderline AHLer for a bit of toughness. It’s not going to save the franchise, but then most moves any team makes are small incremental steps toward success — not every trade is a blockbuster.

In the last two days we’ve added skill and toughness with a reasonable cap hit and hardly anything going the other way. We also now have more skilled forwards than we need, and can afford to package Gionta, DD or even Plekanec (though I’d hope to keep him) with a pick or one of our very many prospects for that big offensive forward we all want.

There are three more months before the puck drops — I bet the roster looks different then…

• Stevie.Ray says:

The 7th round pick was Florida’s, and the prospect was weak. However, every minute Parros is expected to play actual hockey, makes our team worse. Needs to be used sparingly. Like 4 minutes every second game

• Roy_s_WINK says:

Just be quiet. You don’t have any facts to back any of this up.

I’m sure you were really happy during the last time the Habs were in the ECF ?

We are adding size. This isn’t NHL 13 GM Mode. These things take time and we are the division champions. Now we are getting the tools to go deeper in the post-season.

You and Timo should just keep circle-jerking each other. Really unpredictable post-patterns you have on here.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

With respect, Wink, I think you might have misread SRay’s post. If you re-read it and agree with me, maybe you’d consider editing your own one a little bit?

• Dr.Rex says:

You are weird.

• Timo says:

I don;’t think people are upset about getting Parros. He will have his place on the Habs. People are upset at so many missed opportunities and non-moves. Parros does not make Habs as a team tougher because he is easily neutrolized by another good. Yes, he will be useful if he doesn’t pull Laraque, but Habs need Lucic’s and Neils, not Parros’

• tobbs says:

LOL yes, because the Lucics and Neils are going for cheap these days and every second draft pick turns into a Lucic…..sigh Get a grip man, you talk nonsense

• What missed opportunities? A chance to trade away the future for Bobby Ryan and his cap hit? Clarkson for $37M? Horton was never going to come to a hockey-crazed original six city. Hendricks would have been nice, but four years is a long time to sign a guy like him. I don’t know that there were a ton of opportunities out there to miss.

15. HabFanSince72 says:

For every 4 min he spent on the ice, George Parros spent one minute in the penalty box.

Let that stat sink in.

16. Bill says:

It is absolutely not true that having an enforcer prevents opposing teams from running your players. You don’t need to see much hockey to know that.

That said, I don’t mind the move, because it means Prust won’t have to fight so much. I hope.

• Totally agree on both points — a solid move with no risk and a small reward. That doesn’t sound like much, but those sorts of transactions add up.

17. Bripro says:

Bergevin:

“I’m always looking to make the team better.

If you’re ready to enter the free-agent market, there’s a price to pay.
    The nucleus of the team doesn’t come from there.”

• HabFab says:

And most of those guys at HIO although meaning well, are idiots except for Bripro, HabFab and a couple of others.

As for Bozo, thanks for the financial advise but I now have hired my own guy.
      :D

• Bozo McBozo says:

How’d you to today sport? I nailed the US jobs report this morning and am banging back Belgians as I type. Life is good!

• HabFab says:

Wouldn’t mind one of those Belgians right now! Haven’t done much research lately so haven’t been exposed to any of your wisdom. I do know my Yankee doodle dandy portfolio is doing better… keep that optimism growing. Other then that growing like crazy.

• Bozo McBozo says:

To paraphrase the World’s Most Interesting Man: Stay long stocks, my friend!

18. HabFanSince72 says:

Last year Parros played 6 min/game (dead last on the worst team in the NHL).

Despite limited ice time against other teams’ 4th lines, he managed to end up -15.

I’m now in the Marc Bergevin doesn’t know what he’s doing camp.

The first hint was picking that big lug in round one and saying we picked him because he’s a big lug.

• Trollhunter says:

I gotta agree with Timmins when he says time will tell. In a couple of years if McCarron develops well we might be happy to have him.

“Troll the troll”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

HF2, you’ve said it yourself (I’m pretty sure), that the draft is a lottery. McCarron is the ticket we bought this time. Isn’t it just a waiting game, same as for most other teams and their draftees? Couple of years, we find out if Mac is a strong, skilled, and heavy guy to park in front of the net, score some goals, create some havoc and therefore opportunities for others; OR, the sirloin diet and the second coming of Parros?

• DDUFOUR says:

The whole team was in the minus last season…Campbell was a minus -22!

19. Price07 says:

Plan the parade?

20. brandonhab19 says:

The role of the enforcer is to save the smaller players. Even if the enforcer doesn’t play in the post season he prevents cheap hits and stuff that racks up over the course of the season. Even if Montreal wins a game guys are still getting tossed around. With Parros in the lineup guys will think twice about running guys. Which over time keeps the smaller goal scoring fowards healthy

21. Ed says:

Our moves bring us
    all skill, no power,
    or all power, no skill.
    That’s how we drafted.
    That’s Briere and that’s Parros.

• Fransaskois says:

I think it’s the cheapest and fastest way to obtain “balance” on a roster. Not the way I’d do it and hopefully it’s just a short term move.

• Chris says:

Power and skill are not the sole ingredients.

In Briere, you get a pest. He drives opponents nuts. I’m not crazy about the money, but the Habs had literally nobody who could take that RW spot this season. I would much prefer to see Leblanc and Bournival get a start in the AHL and earn a call-up because they were scoring at a nice pace in Hamilton. Bournival is a C/LW, so if it is him, it will mean moving Bourque back to the right. Bourque finally seemed to find his mojo on the left last season, so I’d like to see if he can carry it through to next season.

Montreal needed a net presence. Power does not necessarily equate to screening the goalie. McCarron can hopefully provide that kind of role, while also providing some physicality when he eventually makes it 3-5 years from now. By that time, who knows who will be left of the current roster. I can guarantee you that Gionta and Briere won’t be here, and Plekanec is unlikely to still be here.

Parros is a guy who will get into 20-30 games as a 4th line stiff that will go out and fight somebody. I hate that side of the game, but Bergevin is coming from Chicago where they always had a guy like that (Mayers, Scott, etc.).

I don’t think Bergevin is done. I still believe he is working on a bigger trade. The rumours are that St. Louis wants a centre, Montreal and Perron have an obvious attraction to one another, and Montreal has the assets to perhaps get that deal done. We’ll see what happens. St. Louis didn’t get any of the top centres on the market, so it comes down to Grabovski or a trade. I think Plekanec would fit Hitchcock’s system far better.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Chris, the thing that got me going the most this long, long day was talk of dealing with St Louis. So I hope you’re right. Bergevin waiting for the dust to settle and the smoke to clear, to the sound of GMs and owners softly weeping as they realise how much money they’ve spent, Bergevin strolling in to identify what he wants after the ‘Frenzy’ and start negotiating. Less dramatic, but seems an eminently preferable way to do business. Hope you’re right.

• HabFab says:

Balance…non?

22. D Mex says:

Parros = exactly what the Habs were lacking :
    … a Princeton grad … ;-)

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

23. Psycho29 says:

We all wanted the team to get bigger, and it just did….

I predict that the trades are not done; teams will have to readjust to stay within the cap.

It might not be today or tomorrow, it might not be a month from now, but the Habs will make other trades.

Chillax everyone, training camp is in September….

24. Trollhunter says:

Good trade. Prust Parros and White/Halpern would be a good 4th line….something the Habs haven’t had in a while. That means Moen and Nokelainen no longer have a place on this team. I’m not usually up for trading Captains but given the situation we have at RW Gally, Gio and Briere… and seeing as Gio won’t be re-signed when his contract is up, I wonder how you guys would feel if Gio was traded?

“Troll the troll”

25. Bripro says:

MB will be speaking in a couple of minutes:

26. habs001 says:

Parros will provide the Canadiens with some much needed size up front, and will likely take the burden of fighting off of undersized forward Brandon Prust, who regularly had to fight against the other team’s heavyweight’s last season…… the above quote from tsn…while fighting has been part of hockey this comment in the 21st century regarding a major sport seems strange…is it time to get rid of fighting?….and leave it for fighting sports only

27. Willy the bum says:

So I guess the team goes like this:

Pacioretty – Desharnais – Gallagher
    Gionta – Plekanec – Brière
    Prust – Eller – Galchenyuk
    Moen – White – Parros/Bourque

Subban – Gorges
    Markov – Diaz
    Bouillon – Drewinske
    (IR: Emelin)

If I guess this is the set-up for September, I say it’s sad to see Bourque (could be the appropriate choice) being “out” of the top 6, despite having a great season before the concussion kicks in. I hope if anyone (I’m looking at Desharnais…) can’t pick up his game, Bourque should replace back.

• Stevie.Ray says:

I think Bourque is still likely to play with Plekanec, and Briere with Eller and Galchenyuk (which may end up being our top line)

• Chris says:

First of all, Gionta is a RW, same as Briere.

Secondly, Bourque will not be relegated to fourth line duty.

Thirdly, by the time Gionta comes back injuries and slumps will have blown all foreseen line combinations out of the water, so it is almost pointless to even speculate.

• Willy the bum says:

You are true on the injuries though, but let’s assume if all of the players are surprisingly healthy, they have one too many right-wingers on the team (Gallagher, Gionta, Brière, Bourque, Parros)

Gallagher and Parros may have permanent spots on the Patches-DD and 4th line, but the fight for other two spots goes for Gionta, Brière, and Bourque. Considering Gionta may have play well, and Bourque is in his game sans concussion, one of them might be out in order to put newly acquisition Brière in front.

• Chris says:

If anything, I think Gallagher might be the guy to watch. Sophomores are notorious for coming back to Earth after successful rookie seasons. Some never return to that form.

I think Gallagher caught a lot of teams by surprise this year. Next season, he will be scouted to death and we’ll have to see how he reacts to that. I’m not inking him into a top-6 role by any stretch of the imagination.

If healthy, Bourque is probably a better all-around player than Gallagher: he plays more physically, and he’s better defensively. The key with Bourque, as it always has been, is whether he can get his head screwed on straight and play like the 25-30 goal scorer that he was in Calgary.

28. Fansincebirth says:

I like the signing but MB still needs to address some size and grit up front and on D.

I suspect a mutli-player deal coming from us before the season starts

29. jols101 says:

Been a tough couple of weeks. Every team in our new division got a lot better – Buffalo, Tampa, Florida through the Draft.
    Toronto trades for Bolland and signs Clarkson.
    Boston gets Louie Erickson.
    Ottawa gets Bobby Ryan.

Habs get an old, undersized, injury prone forward and a goon who won’t be able to keep up to the game.

Are we on the right track?

30. habsfan0 says:

What time is MB’s press conference?
    It will be interesting to hear what he has to say.

31. HabFanSince72 says:

Problem with Parros: if he’s in the lineup you do not have a 4th line.

32. Stevie.Ray says:

I don’t think Gorges can handle second pairing time anymore. I would try to trade him for someone who could. Include Gorges, and Thrower in a package to Van for Edler. Which obviously won’t happen because VAN was only looking to move Edler to shed cash.

33. La Duke 16 says:

…..it is not a good sign that both videos posted showed Parros losing each fight…. just saying…..

34. Psycho29 says:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 17m

David Clarkson signed a big deal in Toronto but I can tell you he left money on the table elsewhere…

35. Bozo McBozo says:

I never thought as a Columbia man I’d ever say this, but I love signing this Princeton Tiger! He don’t hold to no stinking code! Get him out there with the Pruster and let the fur fly!!!

And, off ice, he can talk competently about Ben Bernanke and US monetary policy. Just freakin’ great!!!

36. habsfan0 says:

Habs trade Lefebvre for Parros.

I can envision every panelist on l’Antichambre having a seizure because of it.

• CanadienBoy says:

Silfverberg and two 1 rounder for Ryan fairly steep price

• Chris says:

Not really. Silfverberg looks like he could be good, but Ryan is proven. Noesen may or may not ever pan out. The Senators are just banking on that they don’t pull a Toronto and gift a Seguin-esque player to the Ducks in this trade.

That was basically the going rate for a guy like Ryan. My guess was that the Habs would have to give up Galchenyuk straight up, or some package involving a top prospect (Tinordi or Beaulieu) and a young roster forward (Gallagher). A 1st round pick isn’t outrageous given that Ryan is signed for a few years.

• HabFanSince72 says:

If Craig Anderson turns out to be a one hit wonder the Sens could very well finish in the lottery range.

• Chris says:

It is certainly possible. I never expected Philly to miss the playoffs this past season, for example. But I think there are other teams that are poised to do far worse.

Buffalo is still toying with the idea of unloading Vanek. Their drafting the past couple of years indicates a bright future, but they are looking like good candidates to be adopting the Pittsburgh/Chicago team-building philosophy right now.

New Jersey doesn’t look too strong, and if Montreal’s offence dries up the way it did at the tail end of the season and into the playoffs, we could be right down there with Ottawa. :)

And then you’ve got Calgary out west. That team is the odds-on favourite for McDavid, as it stands now. They are flat out terrible.

• mrhabby says:

good …let them have seizures.

37. H.R. PuffNStuff says:

Hello, anyone at the Habs office today?

38. habs-fan-84 says:

I think back to the game where Chara decided to pound Emelin. Chara was then thrown out and I believe we came back and won the game after being down by 2 goals.

With Parros in the line up the next game he goes right after Chara, Thornton, Lucic and “sends a message”. Yes I know Chara would probably still man handle Parros but the message has to be sent regardless.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

“I can’t remember but I doubt there was any push back from the Habs the next game.”

The Canadiens beat them 2-1 the next time they played and went on to win the division by one point.

• habs-fan-84 says:

I know they beat them on the scoreboard. Sometimes it’s also good to have some pride and stand up for yourselves and at least make it known you’re not going to get pushed around and walked all over every game.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

You and I have different opinions. I only care about the scoreboard and the standings. I never thought the Canadiens were intimidated in the last few season. IMO the only times the team showed a glaring lack of “toughness” was a game in 2011 in Boston, a game this season against the Maple Leafs and game 3 against the Seanators in this year’s playoffs. In all of those games the Canadiens started by playing awful hockey and as they were getting blown out lost a bunch of fights that they mostly started. I would rather that the team just didn’t play awfully and if they do, then not become frustrated and start fights they can’t win.

• mrhabby says:

i can remember when carey and thomas squared off….but before that our guys were pummelled earlier on in that game.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Also, 84, if Parros dances with either Chara or Lucic and both dancers get ejected, who wins?

Chara and Lucic will of course be under strict instructions not to engage, but I think Chara is relatively easy to divert from that plan.

I’d prefer if this wasn’t necessary, but there you go. If all Parros does is act as a deterrent he’ll be worth Lefevbre.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Exactly, but in the scenario I’m describing Parros doesn’t give Chara, Lucic, or Thornton a choice (just like Chara didn’t give Emelin a choice) he just gets in there and sends the message that this isn’t going to happen again.

39. Habilis says:

So, right now we have:

Briere-DD-Patch
    Bourque-Plek-Gionta
    Chucky-Eller-Gally
    Prust-White-Parros

Possibles: Leblanc, Thomas, Dumont, Collberg?

PK-Markov
    Gorges-Diaz
    Tinordi-Bouillon

Possibles: Drewiske, Beaulieu, Pateryn, Dietz?
    Injured: Emelin

Price-Budaj

I’m sure I’m missing some possibles but that’s pretty well the best possible opening night roster, IMHO.

Tougher than last season? With Parros, I have to say yes because the Briere for Ryder “swap” is a wash on that front. Not tough enough in the top 6 or on D though.

Better hockey team than last season? I don’t think so. About the same I’d say.

Good enough to contend for the Cup? No sir.

40. Ozmodiar says:

Well, we’re certainly off to an embarrassing start to this free agency period.

Briere and Parros.

This doesn’t stand up to the moves by division rivals.

If this is it, we’re going to be somewhat of a laughing stock next year.

41. Harditya says:

With nothing imminent it, the D corps may look like this come fall:
    Subban-Markov
    Gorges-Diaz
    Bouillon-Tinordi
    Drewiske

(Emelin injured till late November). Do you trust that roster? Is Tinordi ready to make a full time jump to the NHL?

42. thehabsfan29 says:

Schultz to Kings 1yr/700k

Wish MB would have signed him to that deal

43. Bob Gaineys Stare says:

Thoughts on the Briere singing: http://bobgaineysstare.wordpress.com/

44. neumann103 says:

MOAR !
    BIG!

A largely pointless move. Smart guy. Doubtless will be ‘good inthe room’ but they didn’t need a facepuncher who can’t play a regular shift/

Better than Colton Orr but there goes that advantage in foo;ishness over the leafs

“Et le but!”

45. Propwash says:

It’s my fault guys, I was watching Goon and this trade happened.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

46. habs-fan-84 says:

Movember just got even better.
    The best duster in the NHL.

47. habs1992 says:

Still Shocked at Ottawa trade

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

48. jols101 says:

Lucic will never fight Parros. Lucic is on Boston’s first line and can actually play the game. Boston has Thorton that fights guys like Parros. As for the Leafs, Parros will be used to fight MacLaren and Kassian for the Sens, beyond that he is pretty useless.

Galchenyuk/Eller/Parros. Bring it on:)

50. Thurston says:

This trade gets a “meh” from yours truly.

He’ll hopefully take some of the fighting responsibilities off of Prust and allow him to play hockey (I say “hopefully” as I think back on Georges Laroque). Won’t be a big contributor but the Habs didn’t exactly trade a lot to get him either.

51. HabFanSince72 says:

The honeymoon is over.

McCarron in round one. Briere. Parros.

Not good.

52. La Duke 16 says:

Now pick up Lucic and things fall in place.

53. habtastic74 says:

*repost from last thread*

Not generally a fan of the enforcers who aren’t good players, but our team gets beaten around so much that I think it works for us. Knowing that Parros will be after you next time you step on the ice should make opposing players think twice. Parros is much scarier than Prust even though Prust is a far superior hockey player.

All in all, with the low cap hit and giving up nothing of significance, I am fine with this and can’t wait to see that ‘stache in blue, blanc, et rouge.

54. bwoar says:

It’s Perron, MB, not Perros!

We laughed the guy out of the rink at the MTS Centre a few months ago after numerous bad penalties… not sure this helps the Habs that much. But I can’t argue that we needed a goon.

“thoroughbred”

55. habs1992 says:

Its a good signing my phone was ringing of the hook all day about it, I like it add toughness

I support Carey Price

56. shiram says:

Apparently he is slow and does not fight anymore?
    Maybe him and Moen spark each other, reminescing about the Cup they won on the Ducks…

“The game isn’t played on the weight scale and it’s not played in the gym, it’s played on the ice and it’s whoever wanted it more.” #81

• Hobie Hansen says:

It will be nice to see Parros, Tinordi and Prust in the lineup against the Bruins and Leafs next season.

After the Smurfs get crushed into the ice at least we’ll win some fights!

• shiram says:

I’d rather win hockey games, but that’s just me! :p

• Hobie Hansen says:

Me too, but it hurts even more when you lose 5-1 and get beat up on top of it.

• shiram says:

That is indeed quite annoying!

57. FANHABULOUS says:

I like the fact that he came cheap (a player who is not likely to make any noise in the NHL and a 7th pick). I like the fact that he big and tough, and is exactly what we needed to have alongside Prust. I guess my only concern is that MT likes to play a high tempo game, even for the 4th line guys… how will Parros fare? Does he have enough foot speed to play our style?

____________________________________
    “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

58. habs001 says:

Can this guy skate or he will be a pylon like Laroque…I rather have a 4th line guy who punishes the oppostion d by hitting and fore checking and is tough and physical…

• 24 Cups says:

He can’t skate. Very limited offensive ability. His forte is racking up majors. He’ll play a limited number of games against a select number of teams.

• habs001 says:

I seem to remember him fighting last year and he did not seem to do that well based on his previous reputation…i suppose he will play as you mentioned vs certain teams but hopefully he is not too old to keep up with other teams younger enforcers…

59. Barts says:

This is a joke right? How about some size that can actually CONTRIBUTE?????

60. McHab4Life says:

Nice, awesome move!! Love It!! We finally have someone who can beat the heck out of Lucic!! Plus Broons lost some toughness (Horton, ference) and we get tougher. Nothin you can’t like about this move….

61. JIMVINNY says:

Somewhere, Brandon Prust is looking to the heavens, and saying a little thank you prayer. Somewhere else entirely, Milan Lucic is wondering if Parros is going to ask him politely like monsieur Laraque did, or just drop the gloves and pound his ugly bruins mug into the ice.

62. forskis says:

The Habs getting George Parros means Habs fans can no longer mock the Leafs for having Colton Orr in their lineup.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

63. La Duke 16 says:

Does Moen stay? Looks like he could get bundled and moved.

Parros now becomes the Habs 14th forward.

That leaves two spots left open at forward – a 4th line pivot as well as a 13th sub. The candidates appear to be White, Dumont, Leblanc or a UFA center.

65. habs1992 says:

Sources telling me Habs will look to add a depth defenceman during the summer, they are done for today though, (makes sense Emilin will be out till at least christmas

I support Carey Price

66. Say Ash says:

Who else is growing a mustache?

67. D Mex says:

I wonder what’s going thru Lucic’s mind right now … lol
    :-)

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

68. TorontoHabsFan says:

Umm…I thought I was fairly knowledgeable about the Habs and their pool of prospects, but I don’t think I ever heard of Phillipe Lefebvre before!

69. Fransaskois says:

Yep, a trade I can live with. A player and a pick who wouldn’t have made the NHL for a role player we needed. Not a big deal, just a step in the right direction.

70. shandrew says:

Canadiens gave up nothing so good deal – hopefully Parros isn’t too old to kick the crap out of Colton Orr.

71. Bripro says:

Third!!
    Well, c’mon.
    That’s the closest I’ve been to first in a long time.

EDIT: I WAS third. It’s BJ’s fault!

72. BJ says:

Great. Now one tough D.

73. MtlCANADIENS93 says:

solid pick up for an enforcer. all we have to do is sign MATT COOKE. Come on MB get err done

• Timo says:

I’ve been calling for a Cooke signing for a while. He was the only Penguins player who actually showed in the playoffs and was hitting anything in sight.

74. La Duke 16 says: