Canada wins fourth straight world junior title

As requested, a place for fans to gather and discuss today’s gold-medal game – won by Canada 3-2 in overtime over Sweden, giving the Canadians their fourth straight world junior victory.

1. Keith says:

Excellent game that couldn’t have been scripted better in Hollywood. I’m just so proud of our boys who overcame such adversity to win it in overtime. Good old Canadian heart wins it again. Congrats to Team Canada!!

2. RovellCH says:

Great game! Very frustrating to see the Swedes tie it up at the end with 30ish seconds left but I’m glad we pulled through and in hard grit style no less! GO CANADA!

3. Rtnrlfy says:

About bloody time that someone is broadcasting the world juniors in the States… it would have been nice if the US had showed up for their game but I’m rooting for Canada anyway – Go Canada Go! And Go Habs Go!

Cheers from the States,
    Lesley

4. Mr.Hazard says:

At least Sweden managed to walk away with a point! :P

Ex nihilo nihil fit

Turris and Marchant do great work and it’s 2-0 Canada on a goal by Giroux. Man, these Swedes can skate and this game is far from over. Canada is making the best of their chances.

The Original 24 Cups

6. Chuck says:

Pretty damn cool, seeing the players take the cup into the crowd like that!

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

7. Y says:

Damn I wanted the Swedes to win

8. sadave says:

no fluke, man. Take it to the net and bang in the rebound. Go Canada

9. Shawn S says:

And Canada is world junior champs again! Congrats!

lol@subban, dude just kissed another guy.

Wow, you don’t want to win it on a fluke goal but who cares. Bragging rights for another year. What a great day for Canadian hockey!

The Original 24 Cups

11. mcLovin says:

what were they doing with the ikea bags? just holding them up and taunting swedes? i hate ikea and i hate swedish hockey fans, so this sounds great to me. but any details would be appreciated ;)

12. The Teacher says:

Berglund and Froeghen? especially stand out for the Swedes

What can I say. All those lost powerplay opportunities in the second period, Turris hits two posts, and then the defensive shell. I watched every second of this game and trust me, the Swedes can skate just as well as the Canadians.

Take it to them right from the start and don’t let up. Turris will win it in overtime.

The Original 24 Cups

14. MatttheHabsFan says:

Excellent points…further to this, not being included on the team at all does not qualify someone as a bust. For proof of this consider the fact that 2 Stanley Cup champions were cut from the 2003 Team Canada World Junior roster…and Dan Paille was captain I believe…

15. The Teacher says:

Haha that’s what I just told my buddy in t.o. not moving their feet either.

16. The Teacher says:

Haha, funny interview with the Swedish kid. You can tell they are still learning how to talk to the media, kinda fun eh.

17. The Teacher says:

double post, sorry

Back in the mid-eighties, the world junior tournament was held at Maple Leaf Gardens. I went to see the afternoon-evening doubleheader on Boxing Day. Rinkside seats – the tournament didn’t sellout in those days. Hit the pub before the first game, in between the two games, and after the second game. Those were the days. Even wore my Habs jersey to the game. #10 of course, what other number is there?!

Anyway, there was a young kid who played for Canada named Joe Murphy. He put on a performance of a lifetime in terms of skating and playmaking. He was everywhere. Totally magical. The kids wore ‘caged helmets’ in those days and let me tell you the stick work was brutal. Ed Olczyk played the dirtiest hockey game I have ever witnessed. But Murphy played through it all and stole the show. He went on to play 15 years with 7 different teams and even won a Cup (on Gretzky’s coat tails). Yet he never really became the player that everyone thought he would. He was decent but never great.

I only mention this point because the junior tournament only lasts for two weeks. Some guys shine and others don’t live up to expectations. Whether it be a Habs prospect or any other young player, you can’t always tell what their career will hold based on a few games. We always have to keep in mind that these guys are only 18 and 19. It’s not easy playing in a foreign land while carrying the hopes and dreams of your country on your back. Good luck lads – play with pride and passion.

The Original 24 Cups

19. Chuck says:

Just watching the end of the States/Russia game, and all I have to say is three words: medal presentation babes!

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

Canada scores in the first minute! Nice move by the Swedish goalie:-) And so it begins!!!

The Original 24 Cups

Hey teach – Shades of the Montreal Canadiens here. Losing faceoffs on the penalty kill. Now we are holding on for dear life as the game comes to an end. We need another goal. No defensive shell yet, please!

The Original 24 Cups

22. The Teacher says:

Canada up 2-1 now. Gotta keep working hard.

Great period. Both teams skating like the wind. Marchand is everywhere – easily Canada’s best player. Hickey is fab on defense. Both making a case for small players! Canada got a PP goal early but then missed on the next four. Swedish goalie is holding the fort – Mason is great when he is called upon. Not quite home free yet. I’d like to see Canada score one more goal. 20 minutes from gold.

The Original 24 Cups

24. Bean says:

Hahaha the Canadians with the Ikea bags are hilarious!!

I love our hockey fans :D

25. RH says:

While it was exhilarating to watch the Canadian mens team finally bring home the gold in ’02, I really think the Olympics should be for the juniors. While I don’t question the heart and desire of our professionals, participating in such an event, I think that our junior nationals truly make this event better. Considering that the Olympics are held once every four years, to go into this tournament, knowing that they will never be there again, brings out even more passion and a desire to perform at there top level. Having said all that, the way Canada has been dominating the World Juniors, it would be even more interesting to watch these kids from all nations, go for the gold in the next Olympics, to really gauge Canada’s supremacy when the big spotlight is turned on them.

26. JB_15 says:

It’s a shame that this game is on at the same time as the Habs, and thus wont be watched by myself.

Juniors are great and all, but when it comes to the tricolore nothing takes priority.

27. Moey says:

I have a tough time watching any hockey beneath the NHL level. I think RDS is joining the junior’s game in progress right after the Habs. I’ll catch the end of it.

Well, I’ll start the thread off by eating some more crow. I thought it was a mistake to start Mason over the more experienced Bernier yesterday against the US. Wrong again! Some of Mason’s saves scare me but you can’t argue with the end result.

We played a decent game against Sweden in our pool and only lost it at the last minute. Not being a homer, but a few of Sweden’s goals were deflected pucks. Anyway, if we play like we did yesterday we should be in good shape. My only concern is goal scoring. We got a couple of quick ones within a minute yesterday but I still feel we need to get as much out of Tavares and Stamkos as possible.

This could get me kicked off this site but given the choice between watching the Habs 41st game (out of 82) or the junior world championship, I think you have to go with the once in a year shot at gold. Go Canada Go!

The Original 24 Cups

29. Ian G Cobb says:

This is truly the only competitive all star game anywhere in hockey. Same age group of the very best players in the world. These are the future super stars of the NHL.

Enjoy the pure youthfull talent and non stop energy !

Agree totally Ian. So many NHL games are snore fests. From an entertainment aspect, you can’t beat this tournament. Especially seeing that it is only played once a year. I’ll be watching at 2pm (TSN) and flipping back to the Habs.

There’s one guy on Sweden that really worries me in terms of hurting the Canadians this afternoon. His name is Mikael Backlund (sp?) and he was drafted 24th overall last year by Calgary. He was injured last year but he scored the winning goal against Russia yesterday that was a fantastic play. I’ve just returned from the liquor store so this could be a long afternoon!

The Original 24 Cups

31. Shawn S says:

Anyone know how many of the players in the world juniors are property of les habitants? Or at least point me in the direction of where I’d may find this info?

32. showey47 says:

subban-canada
    pacioretty-usa
    weber-swiss

33. Ian G Cobb says:

Watch Mathias at center, drafted by Florida, he is a beauty.

34. Ian G Cobb says:

This is going to be a war, no cake walk here. First goal is going to be a big deal in this one. Every forced give away will be huge.

35. Sulemaan says:

The US team is getting spanked by Russia. Their heart is definitely not in this game…

36. The Teacher says:

Well, RDS has it right, they’re going with the HABS game at 12:30 until its conclusion, and then are going with the rest of the Juniors. I assume the second intermission will provide time to catch the start of the Junior game.

So in all, only a period in all of the Juniors might not be seen by myself, but I’m sure I’ll be flipping to TSN during commercial breaks.

Go Canada Go
    Go Habs Go

Another question,

Has England and a Premier League Team such as Liverpool and/or Arsenal ever played a game on the same day and time?

37. MatttheHabsFan says:

If you are referring to the English men’s team the answer is no. The EPL takes international breaks when there are international matches such as Euro 2008 qualification, etc. If Gary Bettman thinks adjusting the schedule every 4 years is a big deal, it’s definitely a good thing he’s not involved in running any of the major European soccer leagues

38. The Teacher says:

Hey all,

CA-NA-DA
    CA-NA-DA
    CA-NA-DA

Just a quick pre-game question,

How many of you would think our European players would be shocked and perhaps obtain a heightened sense to understand the passion we have for our Canadiens de Montreal upon hearing people debate watching the Habs game versus a Gold Medal Hockey game?

I ask this as their countries are usually completely into it if one of their teams make the finals

Or is the question totally irrelevant?

39. Ian G Cobb says:

I,m sure the habs will be well ahead by the second period, Ryder will have a couple and Brisebois will be holding up the back end, so we can sit back and enjoy the gold.

Ovetchken will be tired for his game, watching the Red,s spanking the stars and stripes.

2pm on TSN. They’re both franchise type players who are about the same height and can score at will. The main difference seems to be that Tavares isn’t that great a skater. (Neither was Gretzky) On the other hand, he certainly has tons of hockey instincts and can do everything that’s asked of him. He would be my pick of the two.

Guy, I wouldn’t worry too much about being isolated from the hockey world. Given the choice between living in Stouffville (23000) and New York City……

The Original 24 Cups

41. MatttheHabsFan says:

Just looking at last year’s draft list: There were 16 Canadians drafted in the 1st round in ’07. Only 5 of them made Team Canada for this tourney (2 are in the NHL). Makes Subban’s inclusion all the more impressive…

42. Ian G Cobb says:

He won,t get a lot of ice this year, but he is only 18 and will make a large noise in Jr. the next 2 years.

43. The Teacher says:

Haha, you are right.

Bettman is bush-league.

Not to tick off any American people out there, but bush-league is an even better saying than it used to be.