Canada Day fireworks?

Not likely.

Tomas Plekanec and Patrick Marleau have re-upped.

The champs continue to shed salary: Kris Versteeg to the Leafs, Andrew Ladd probably is next.

Can TSN2 turn Ilya Kovalchuk into a five-hour television show?

We’ll see … and we’ll be watching, using the CoverItLive window for HIO input and your comments:

1. HabFanSince72 says:

You would need to send three draft picks the other way.

2. HabFanSince72 says:

If Price walks what will he do for a living?

3. Chorske says:

Yes, Stewie is awesome. But that is not the kind of person we need Price to be.

We need him to be more like Brian. Except for the whole licking himself part.

4. Mark C says:

I like Price, but he has not proven to be “WAY AHEAD” of all those names. My point is this:

1) History has shown real NHL GM’s do not like using offer sheets. Since 2006 there have been an average of 1.25 offer sheets a year.

2) Large UFA goalie market, not many teams needing#1.

3) There is a much higher cost associated with going the way of an offer sheet compared to signing UFA. E.g. a team could sign Ellis for appox. 2 mill or sign Price to an offer sheet at a little over 3 million AND give up a 1st and 3rd round draft choices. Is Price’s comparative worth that much more than someone like Ellis at a lower cost and without giving up a 1st and 3rd?

5. ed lopaz says:

I understand the word entitlement – thanks – I’ve had 18 years of education and 5 years university. :-))

Its not what’s going on here.

Its business.

I have never used the word “meritocracy” – but I can presume it means you have to “earn” your place in the

“ocracy”.

I think Stewie from Family Guy is amazing!!

6. Chorske says:

Ed: you aren’t paying attention.

6 years, 20 million.

That’s a freaking steal for a 22 year old
    goalie.

Nope, sorry, don’t buy it. Not when the cup final featured two fill-ins. Not when the era of the superstar goalie is over, and the market is stuffed to the gills with quality mature goalies, plus a decent number of youngish guys who can put up good numbers.

Also- at that money on an offer sheet, teams give up a 1st and 3rd rounder minimum. WHy do that when perfectly serviceable guys await in the bargain bin? It’s nonsense. You overestimate Prices’ value to everyone- including the Habs.

7. HabFab says:

Doesn’t appear to be as much as “keeping it in your pants”!

8. Chorske says:

Business has nothing to do with what you’re going on about, Ed. What you’re going on about is vindictiveness. One hopes that Price recognizes that he needs to step up and play better because, frankly, I like the kid but the enduring memory in my mind is of those two misconducts during a playoff game.

In other words, one hopes that you are 100% off base about where Price’s head is at.

9. Chorske says:

Look up the word “entitlement”, ok? Because a) it is generally a bad thing and b) it exactly describes the attitude you seem to think Price should adopt, i.e., someone did better than me, how dare they! Pay me more money!

Seriously, that’s Stewie from Family Guy, not a pro athlete.

You may also need to look up the word “meritocracy”, which is what the Habs should be.

10. Caper says:

Halak was not a long-time employee with a celebrated career. I suspect that Halak’s A-hole agent  didn’t help matters as well. Do you think all players call their GM’s just prior to signing with another team after becoming a UFA? It’s a business Terry. Halak will soon be a multi millionaire and if anything he should be thankful to the Montreal Canadiens as they gave him the opportunity to become the player he is. I don’t think he will care to much once that 5 year $20mm contract is signed. Good for him.

11. Rugger says:

Because there are a glut of UFA’s that can be had for the same or less money and years with no picks going the other way.

12. ed lopaz says:

Price should be considered WAY AHEAD of any of those goalies you listed.

PLEASE!!!

The kid is 22 years old, he’s alredy an experienced NHL goalie, who has won an AHL championship and a WJunior championship.

If you give up a few draft picks, a fist, a second and third, or what ever it to pay 3 million per????

I would do it – if i was the GM of Philly – I would do it.

6 years, 20 million.

That’s a freaking steal for a 22 year old goalie.

And, the Habs will HAVE TO MATCH IT – or will they go with Dan Ellis??

The other guys on your list are either way too old, way too expensive, or simply crap!!

13. G-Man says:

Too funny, Steve. :)

14. terrygain says:

We won’t get excellence except by demanding it. Trading Halak before signing Price is not excellence. It’s idiocy.

Did anyone notice how those Maple Leaf fans are such sheep? They support management no matter what. It’s no wonder they haven’t won in 43 years.

15. Mark C says:

I think stories of strength of Carey Price’s bargaining position have been greatly exaggerated.  He is a RFA, his only “real” bargaining power lay in:  a) he is the clear #1 on the poster and b) an offer sheet.

A player’s depth position realistically can only play a small role in contract negotiations for a RFA.  The offer sheet is another consideration; however management clearly understands the limited power of offer sheets in contract negotiations.  Since 2006 offer sheet have been extended to only 5 players, the last goalie to receive an offer sheet was old friend Ron Tugnutt in 1996.

One must also consider the goalie market, which is in a state of absolute surplus: Hedberg, Turco, Mason, Nabakov, Nittymaki, Biron, and Ellis (not all as good as Price, but within the ballpark) are all available for one cost: money.  However, using an offer sheet on Price uses three costs: money, draft picks, and to a limited degree decreases the GM’s standing among peers.  The trade-off of using an offer sheet on Price is quite the opportunity cost for any GM in such a heavily supply driven market.  I think the odds of Price receiving an offer sheet are very low, not to say it won’t happen.  I think it is safe to say management is not very worried about it.

16. terrygain says:

A goalie is just an interchangeable piece of the puzzle.

Strange statement coming from a fan of a team that  made the playoffs last year mainly because of its goalie.

17. ed lopaz says:

insulting to who?

its a business, is it not.

you guys think this is not a business?

18. ed lopaz says:

I don’t agree – there’s nothing whiny about it.

Here you have a great, up and coming young goalie, losing his job to a NOBODY.

The NOBODY becomes a star, a hero, a magician in this town.

If I’m Carey Price, I’m not at all pleased with the way I was treated down the stretch or in the playoffs.

If I’m Carey Price, I’m EXPECTING TO BE PAID LIKE A # 1 GOALIE – not like a guy who “last anyone saw of him, he had just lost a game and earned two misconducts”

Carey Price is Carey Price – its time the Habs started treating him like the # 1 goalie that he is supposed to be.

19. Bill J says:

I get what your saying, and agree.

Ultimately, keeping SK74 into next season was OUT of the question.

I think we all got that memo loud & clear from PG.

And considering his value was nill – could not have gotten much more for him.

And not qualifying him, so he becomes a full fledged UFA is still worse then trading for two UFA’s no ?

That is ultimately my point.

20. wotever says:

That’s ed’s head.  And it’s fairly insulting.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

21. wotever says:

I don’t think he’s got Montreal over a barrel.  I think the Habs management made it clear they think the goalie is an interchangeable piece of the puzzle.  If they can’t sign him for reasonable $$$, the market is glutted with goalies, problem solved.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

22. Jbird says:

He might just like being on talk radio.  Seems a bit strange if he does not want to be in MTL. But it is his lifetime big pay day. . . . We shall see.

23. ed lopaz says:

why would no one offer sheet him? I would.

As a GM that needs a young goalie, who has excellent potential to be a great NHL goalie,

I would offer:

6 years at 20 million.

that’s a great bargain for a team like Philly, for example.

24. RGM says:

Thankfully Carey has a lot of character and hopefully doesn’t feel the same way you do.

Scotty Bowman said it best: “Don’t trade Carey Price.”

25. TripleX says:

You must be talking about the NBA and LeBron James?  I think you have underestimated the contract.  :)

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

26. Chorske says:

Honestly, if THAT is what the voice in Price’s head sounds like… I’m VERY disappointed.

Also: adopting that stance would simply reinforce the impression that most irritates his detractors- that he is a whiny petulant baby with an overblown sense of entitlement.

I don’t think he has ANYONE over a barrel except himself. And with the glut of goalies on the market, there is ZERO chance he is getting an offer sheet.

Heck, last anyone saw of him, he had just lost a game and earned two misconducts. Zero offer sheets, my friend.

At any rate, I hope and pray to Scarlett and all that is good and holy that Price’s inner voice is NOT as you describe.

27. terrygain says:

If Price thinks objectively he can’t have been impressed with management’s treatment of  last year’s number one goalie. They didn’t even talk to him before they traded him and they didn’t have the decency to tell him they were trading him. Although the trained seals here were giddy that Price has been handed the number one job, if he’s thought about it he won’t have been so impressed.

Bill – Sergei is like the little kid with his mother at the checkout counter in the grocery store. He starts having a tantrum to embarrass his mom so she will cave in and give him the candy that is located there.

We are all fed up with his act and realize he is a major league distraction(and pain). However, he is an asset that we shouldn’t just give away. His value is nil right now so why bother moving him.

I think the Hab managment team needs to re-visit the Sam Pollock school of thought on trading players. It’s all about timing.

Keeping in mind that SK74 is a immature brat, you still have to wonder why so many young players never make it here in Montreal. Forget trying to figure out the left wing lock, let’s address this question right now before we lose any more players.

29. Chorske says:

This is more of a buyout, isn’t it?

30. Rugger says:

Price cannot walk, No one is going to offer sheet him and he will sign for 1 year at about $2M.