Canada Day fireworks?

Not likely.

Tomas Plekanec and Patrick Marleau have re-upped.

The champs continue to shed salary: Kris Versteeg to the Leafs, Andrew Ladd probably is next.

Can TSN2 turn Ilya Kovalchuk into a five-hour television show?

We’ll see … and we’ll be watching, using the CoverItLive window for HIO input and your comments:

1. HabFab says:

Is this the remake of the story of Lazerous or the Prodigal Son??

Welcome back!

2. Bill H says:

He’s being very diplomatic.  All he’ll say is that he will sign “the right deal”.  What he doesn’t say and can’t say is that Montreal can’t afford to pay him what he can get elsewhere.

3. Bugs says:

If it wasn’t for those binding contracts, eh?

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

4. Puck Bard says:

Pretty funny Cups.

5. Habsforlife 1959 says:

That’s how rumors are started here.  Let the clock tick on. 2 hours tell the show starts.

6. terrygain says:

Price would be crazy not to wait and see if someone wants to sign him to an offer sheet. He’s got Montreal over a barrel. He also understands that if he doesn’t play much better next year he’s going to get booed out of town.

Did anyone notice how those Maple Leaf fans are such sheep? They support management no matter what. It’s no wonder they haven’t won in 43 years.

7. Mark C says:

The cost of the “keep your yap shut” clause is what I’m most interested in knowing.

tg – We’re closing in on 20 years and that’s starting to scare the sheep out of me.

9. Jbird says:

Agree %100.  You’d think that SK would have been distracting his brother way more than anyone else.

10. N.B.habs fan says:

If I were Price,I would’t play for The Habs after how he got treated last season,being booed and not playing much.

Say as you wish,but I think Ellis will be signed with the habs and Price will walk.

11. Mark C says:

I’m starting to lean the same way – if neither Boyd nor Ellis sign, then the only value gained by this trade is the selection of SK74’s destination.

If people want to go on about this trade being about addition by subtraction, that’s fine, but it does not address the lack of return. Considering the future consideration attached to this deal, couldn’t SK74 been traded for a low draft pick instead of soon-to-be UFA’s?

12. terrygain says:

We are going to pay through the nose for an unproven goalie. Carey Price should have been traded to anyone who would take Hamrlik and his gawdawful 5.5 million contract. That would have freed up the money to sign the guy who got us into the playoffs and into the 3rd round.

The first UFA signs for a record breaking $750 million.  You go, girl!

14. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Ellis was a shaky proposition – the goal was to move Sergei out. Maybe Boyd will surprise. I suspect so.

Of the problems the team has, goaltending is the one easiest to solve given the market. Now that the dust has settled on the Halak move, we can all see a lack. Even if you agree with Gauthier that Price still has potential, he needs help. If you distrust Price’s ability to be a number one, you agree the team needs help. And a thing no one wants to say that has to be in the mind of any potential backup is the fact Halak took the job away from the anointed one last year. You can call Price the number one, but the possibility of taking his job away is there, for a skilled and steady veteran. I’m sure that if the poor kid gets shelled again, they will stubbornly leave him in there for a while. But the job will be intriguing for any goalie who believes he can Halak it. I imagine most of these guys have confidence in themselves.

15. Jbird says:

Dan Elis is talkiing with Tony on 990.  He really seems to want to be in MTL.  I like the guy.

16. ed lopaz says:

the question of the day, for me:

why haven’t the habs signed Price yet??

well, I will take a swing at this one, although there are several possibilities, no doubt.

its pay back time, and Price is in the driver’s seat, my friends.

picture yourself as Carey Price, sitting almost the entire last 3 weeks of the season, and 18/19 playoff games.

what are you thinking to yourself?

1) wow! this is great, I get to sit the bench and watch a 9th round nobody become the hero!!

nope. try again.

2) wow! this is great, Habs are winning and that’s all that counts – forget about my career!!

nope. try again

3) well, its cool that the team is winning, and I know I’m supposed to be a good team player and all, but

CRAP to HIGH HELL!!!

I’m an excellent goalie, I’m the “franchise”, I’m the “go to guy”, what the freakin crap is going on??????

YAP. Bingo!! door # 3. we have a winner!!

Not Price’s fault at all!!

I don’t blame him 1 bit.

The Habs made their decision, and they played the goalie they ended up trading.

Price is playing a little old fashioned “hard ball” – and if the Habs were thinking they could just turn to him

after the season and give him a 2 bit raise, well, this is a rude awakening for them.

17. G-Man says:

Hysterical! Love it! 🙂

18. terrygain says:

Good table at Canadiens.com

We have 16 players signed and 8.2  million in Cap Space. Don’t expect any important additions. Trading Halak before signing Price was not merely stupid but idiotic.  Chicago has 13 players signed and only 6 million is Cap Space left. Their reign is over.

19. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Let’s just say PG has antlers and dances the macarena on his desk for three hours every morning.

We can say it, right?

20. BJ says:

Any prospect? For sure not PK.

21. Bill J says:

WTF are you smoking so early in the morning ?

I didn’t attack ideas, I offered MY OWN opinion on the matter

get a life!

22. RetroMikey says:

The fireworks started Boone weeks ago when we traded Halak to St. Louis and signed Plekanec to a ludicrous offer.

Management has to be held accountable where our troubled franchise is heading.

I just have mixed feelings if this current roster has what it takes to make another Cinderella run in the playoffs come next spring.

I want a team what Bobby promised 6 years ago, a contender and a Cup in Montreal!

It appears Gauthier now is retooling the team and not bringing back the old Firewagon hockey that Bobby thought was going to bring us a Cup.

You know what they say,bring in a new GM, don’t expect results with the club after 3 or 4 seasons.

Even management has no plans for our franchise, they are experimenting with what money they have left in in Cap space.

But I am still shaking my head why we let Halak go, the goalie who basically took us far in the playoffs and signed Plekanec to a fat contract who did not put any offensive number in the playoffs.

Price will be in in his 4th year in the NHL and I see another frustrated season for the kid with an over the hill gang of DMen we have and we still are not big up front!

Even if the Habs have a sub par season and if the Habs keep selling out at the Bell Centre, that’s all that matters to the new owners and management with people like  Boivin will get another hefty bonus with a job well done by the Molson Brothers.

It’s  funny how Ellis wants to test the FA route and would not want to sign with the Habs tout de suite as they say.  Players want only the green paper and are not proud of donning the jersey they play for anymore.

Oh the pain, the pain of being a Habs’ fan,  the pain.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

23. Bill J says:

He wants out ?, OK I’ll bite – How do you know this ?

24. pmaraw says:

touchy… cause price is so amazing? why do you feel the need to always attack ideas? it’s bill j’s way or the highway. this is a forum where people can express their ideas.

25. zak says:

Someone is going to make a big offer for price and PG will take the picks’ let him walk and sign Theodore.

26. Bill H says:

“I say “We got rid of SK74 – WOOHOOO!!!!”

Not only that, Bill.  If SK74 signs with the Blues, we get future considerations.  And AK46 snaps out of it and scores 30 goals.  Sounds like a helluva trade to me.

27. Bill J says:

PG has stones, no doubt in my mind of that… (see Jaro trade)

Today we find out just how big they are lol

28. Habsforlife 1959 says:

Lets just say that Carey Price wants out and not much being said about it?

29. Puck Bard says:

I’m fine with it.

And I think it would be a very interesting strategy for Gauthier to do absolutely nothing today, then pick up some players in a month on the bread-line (risky in terms of a goalie, but I’d love anyone with the stones to try it).

30. Habs4ever Fan says:

Carey Price will be traded for that goalie in St Louis….Halak

Gautier is a genius

31. Bill J says:

I think on the flip side of that, this was the ONLY way to get rid of SK74.

Literally trading him for two UFA’s 30 hours before the UFA open market.

I think we all knew that SK74 was worthless…

Dunno, but instead of looking at it from the perspective “We could of gotten more time to work with the players” I say “We got rid of SK74 – WOOHOOO!!!!”

I guess I’m a Half full kinda guy lol

32. ParrySoundHabber says:

Hi Steve,

Still alive and well – Johnny Winter. Finally all that summit nonsense is over and we’re back to normal somewhat.Too much damn rain I can tell you that much, but July 1st is looking pretty good so far! I guess I’m waiting for noon like all the rest eh. You can find me on twitter most nights/days as there’s lots of good sports hacks to follow. Look me up BenJammin1960

hahaha @ Samsonov!!

“Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.”

Jean Beliveau

~If winning wasn’t important we wouldn’t keep score.

33. Puck Bard says:

Think what he’s saying is Habs should have had the grease to get it done in the prior 48, not now.

34. Bill J says:

And PG will be fired not too long after.  Tell ya what.  Next time you get a hunch.  Perhaps keep it to yourself.

You do remember that he already traded Halak, Right ?

Trading Price now, would be PG’s pink slip.

Letting him walk via a RFA offer sheet, would be PG’s Last warning to smarten up, if not his pink slip.

If the intention was to trade Price, they would have kept Jaro.

35. Bugs says:

You think Cedric is ready?

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

36. Habs4ever Fan says:

hmmmm….No Carey Price in nets for the habs next year vs Carey Price in the nets for the habs next year…..

Canadiens will win just as many games and probably go further in the playoffs without Carey Price.

Bye Carey, Don’t let the door hit you on the way out

37. Bugs says:

With all the attention Ilya is gettin as the prize FA acquisition, it’s amazing when one notices how deep the defender pool is.

You see the NAMES out there? Hamhuis, Gonchar, Martin, Volchenkov, Michalek…dang!

Gimme the Russian V!

Although Paul Martin…

Dang!

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

38. Puck Bard says:

Bad Tweet Arpon, bad Tweet

39. Bill J says:

Huh ?

Are you actually implying we should have kept SK74 ?

Your funny 24 – LMAO!!!

I’ve said it repeatedly….  Even if both players we got walk away today, the Habs are a better team today because of that trade.

Habs – SK74 = WIN for the Habs.

40. Habsforlife 1959 says:

I beleive Carey Price will be involve in a blockbuster trade with AK46 and possible a few prospects? Just a food for thought here? A big Hunch that is!!!!!

All this back-up goalie crap is starting to wear me down.  It is a buyers market and only a fool would go out and buy on July 1st.  A month from now some of these guys will be begging for work.  I’m starting to really wonder about this SK74 trade.  It could go south by the end of the day.

Hey, Ben – Where the hell have you been?  I was wondering if the black flies got to you.

BTW, I want my tax money back from all the freebies you guys received from Tony Clement.  I rate The Summit right up there with Sergei Samsonov.

43. N.B.habs fan says:

Don’t beat me up,but I think Ellis will be signed befor Price,Just a hunch.

44. petrov14 says:

I predict for us: 1 backup goalie (on the cheap)

1 middling forward (hopefully with size)

Thats is all.

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

45. Bugs says:

What did I say about the signing of Poolio?

I didn’t say nuthin about it.

I just say he’s my boy and if he pulls his head out his butt, he’ll be our number 1 centre.

What I never mentioned and what I should now is that those last weeks of his…uuugh, I’m gulpin hard.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

46. Rugger says:

I don’t read to much into how long it is taking, Plecs said they were talking all spring and it sounded like they were pretty much set long before they signed.  I think the same thing is happening with Price.

47. Habsforlife 1959 says:

I agree 100%.

48. MikeMcLaren says:

Interesting thing about following hockey people on Twitter – collectively you start seeing interesting pictures:

From McKenzie: No progress of any kind thus far between MTL and Ellis. Unless something comes out of left field, he is going to market.

From Tim Pannacio in PHI: Flyers to Make an Offer to Goalie Ellis

From Andy Strickland (well connected STL beat guy) San Jose to take a hard look at Dan Ellis if he becomes available. Told they aren’t looking to spend what Mason and Turco are looking for

Looks like Mike Liut’s phone is going to start ringing in a few hours… it might be Gauthier trying to tie up his phone line though.

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

49. Bugs says:

Flyers to offer Ellis a contract.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

50. nightmare_49 says:

… via Harpoon’s Twitter

As of this morning Mtl doesn’t want to go much more than 1M on a Price back up. That takes Ellis out and puts a Lalime ???

51. Puck Bard says:

I know… don’t want Lalime either man.

52. N.B.habs fan says:

Bugs,I am with you on the singing of Pioliot,I really think he can be better than he was last year.

53. N.B.habs fan says:

Rugeer,Why does it take so long to sign Price if they really want him,he should have been signed by now.

54. ParrySoundHabber says:

Habby Canadien Day everyone. Long time no see. Time now to sit back and wait for the 12pm fireworks or lack there of.

Jean Beliveau

~If winning wasn’t important we wouldn’t keep score.

55. Bugs says:

Ilya.

Yeah, baby!

C’mon!

C’moooooon…

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

56. Bugs says:

If the Habs have no intention of paying more than 1 mil for a backup goalie (as I just heard on the radio from some insider or other’s tweet), what was the point of trading for Ellis’s rights? He’s not gonna accept that.

I mean, if YOU were Ellis and had just come off a 2mil a year deal, would YOU accept 1 mil?

Give’m 2 mil, ferpetessakes, and he’ll sign!

I don’t WANT Lalime, man!

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

57. Max_a_million says:

We need some action

58. adamkennelly says:

wish list

sign Ellis, Armstrong, John Scott then trade Hammer, AK and whatever prospect or picks you need to Ducks for Ryan.

done.

59. Max_a_million says:

I just love how the nay sayers always say “plan the parade”, whenever a necessary depth player is traded for or signed.

60. Mr-T says:

K-hab25……Please do not use numbers to try to make comparisons it is not a good analogy. Ellis is 30 years old and has only played in the NHL for the last three years. How many times have you seen him play to quantify a statement and I quote he can be every bit as good as Halak. To respond to the last line there was no reference or intent anywhere in the post for you to imply such accusations.

61. Rugger says:

I am working too, but out of my home office so not too bad.

62. New says:

That is why UFA day is 1 July not 4 July.  Just be sad for Puck Bard who has to work and will miss all the excitement of….well just be sad Puck Bard has to work.

63. Puck Bard says:

Ya, stinkin’ Monday.

64. Puck Bard says:

God I LOVE those arguments!

65. Max_a_million says:

It’s not fun to argue pointlessly about the merits of third string unrestricted free agents?

66. Mr-T says:

TomNickle……In response to your comment about having some facts. What was stated regarding the draft picks was from a report out of Nashville and as you can guess verifying something like this would be rather difficult to do. What ever negotiations that are in progress at this time with Price taking into account the small window of opportunity for both sides one may think that talks are not going that well or you would think because of the nature of the situation that they would have reached/compromised on a deal acceptable to both sides by now unless Price wants to explore other possible offers. There are a number of goalies available however how many fit into both the Habs financial numbers and requirements. It is not about the fact that Halak was traded what is difficult to try to comprehend is the value Montreal received in return. Blue chip prospect, minor league, good return or promising prospects call it want you want but at the end of the day all you got is a roll of the dice—-craps. Its like trading a Cadillac for a Kia Rio. The S.K. trade is a low risk-high return deal for Nashville more so then for Montreal and the point being is because they had no intention of resigning Ellis or Boyd and both could test the free agent market today which likely is going to happen and if  both sign with another team than the Canadians get nothing in return for S.K. unless he signs with Nashville[5th or 7th round pick] If the purpose was to just to dispose of him regardless of any compensation then it is a mute point is it not. I do not understand the logic of the last statement as to the relevance in a trade to what round the players were drafted and to say that Halak will not perform to the same level again is nothing more then conjecture.

67. Rugger says:

Unfortunately, those of us down here get Monday off, not today.

68. Puck Bard says:

Hopefully they’re either sleeping in or off doing fun things.

Cheers Ian,

I guess they all have office computers and the kids are on the one at home.

70. Puck Bard says:

Ah, now I get it, no one’s here because you all have the day off!

Merde, je dois aller travailler.

“Je n’ai jamais pensé que je pourrais être aussi fier d’être Québécois.”

71. somerslovesthehabs says:

Leafs got Versteeg but gave up Stalberg..no doubt Versteeg is the better player but I do feel that the Leafs gave up one of their better forwards in this deal…not that that is saying much…hahahahaaah…Stalberg will probably light it up in Chicago with some decent linemates

72. G-Man says:

Laps for sure. The others’ agents are going to try to squeeze every dime out of PG, so we could be in for a long day.

73. Rugger says:

Price, Laps, Ellis

74. N.B.habs fan says:

Question,Who do you think will be signed today in Montreal?

75. nightmare_49 says:

… Rangers in hunt for backup goalie / by Larry Brooks ……………………… http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/rangers_in_hunt_for_backup_goalie_mXmVpcPD3eUcIUjEMmmSeI