Canada Day fireworks?

Not likely.

Tomas Plekanec and Patrick Marleau have re-upped.

The champs continue to shed salary: Kris Versteeg to the Leafs, Andrew Ladd probably is next.

Can TSN2 turn Ilya Kovalchuk into a five-hour television show?

We’ll see … and we’ll be watching, using the CoverItLive window for HIO input and your comments:

1. N.B.habs fan says:

Question,Who do you think will be signed today in Montreal?

2. terrygain says:

We won’t get excellence except by demanding it. Trading Halak before signing Price is not excellence. It’s idiocy.

Did anyone notice how those Maple Leaf fans are such sheep? They support management no matter what. It’s no wonder they haven’t won in 43 years.

3. nightmare_49 says:

… Rangers in hunt for backup goalie / by Larry Brooks ……………………… http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/rangers_in_hunt_for_backup_goalie_mXmVpcPD3eUcIUjEMmmSeI

4. Mark C says:

I think stories of strength of Carey Price’s bargaining position have been greatly exaggerated.  He is a RFA, his only “real” bargaining power lay in:  a) he is the clear #1 on the poster and b) an offer sheet.

A player’s depth position realistically can only play a small role in contract negotiations for a RFA.  The offer sheet is another consideration; however management clearly understands the limited power of offer sheets in contract negotiations.  Since 2006 offer sheet have been extended to only 5 players, the last goalie to receive an offer sheet was old friend Ron Tugnutt in 1996.

One must also consider the goalie market, which is in a state of absolute surplus: Hedberg, Turco, Mason, Nabakov, Nittymaki, Biron, and Ellis (not all as good as Price, but within the ballpark) are all available for one cost: money.  However, using an offer sheet on Price uses three costs: money, draft picks, and to a limited degree decreases the GM’s standing among peers.  The trade-off of using an offer sheet on Price is quite the opportunity cost for any GM in such a heavily supply driven market.  I think the odds of Price receiving an offer sheet are very low, not to say it won’t happen.  I think it is safe to say management is not very worried about it.

5. terrygain says:

A goalie is just an interchangeable piece of the puzzle.

Strange statement coming from a fan of a team that  made the playoffs last year mainly because of its goalie.

6. ed lopaz says:

insulting to who?

its a business, is it not.

you guys think this is not a business?

7. ed lopaz says:

I don’t agree – there’s nothing whiny about it.

Here you have a great, up and coming young goalie, losing his job to a NOBODY.

The NOBODY becomes a star, a hero, a magician in this town.

If I’m Carey Price, I’m not at all pleased with the way I was treated down the stretch or in the playoffs.

If I’m Carey Price, I’m EXPECTING TO BE PAID LIKE A # 1 GOALIE – not like a guy who “last anyone saw of him, he had just lost a game and earned two misconducts”

Carey Price is Carey Price – its time the Habs started treating him like the # 1 goalie that he is supposed to be.

8. Bill J says:

I get what your saying, and agree.

Ultimately, keeping SK74 into next season was OUT of the question.

I think we all got that memo loud & clear from PG.

And considering his value was nill – could not have gotten much more for him.

And not qualifying him, so he becomes a full fledged UFA is still worse then trading for two UFA’s no ?

That is ultimately my point.

9. wotever says:

That’s ed’s head.  And it’s fairly insulting.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

10. wotever says:

I don’t think he’s got Montreal over a barrel.  I think the Habs management made it clear they think the goalie is an interchangeable piece of the puzzle.  If they can’t sign him for reasonable $$$, the market is glutted with goalies, problem solved.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

11. Jbird says:

He might just like being on talk radio.  Seems a bit strange if he does not want to be in MTL. But it is his lifetime big pay day. . . . We shall see.

12. ed lopaz says:

why would no one offer sheet him? I would.

As a GM that needs a young goalie, who has excellent potential to be a great NHL goalie,

I would offer:

6 years at 20 million.

that’s a great bargain for a team like Philly, for example.

13. RGM says:

Thankfully Carey has a lot of character and hopefully doesn’t feel the same way you do.

Scotty Bowman said it best: “Don’t trade Carey Price.”

14. TripleX says:

You must be talking about the NBA and LeBron James?  I think you have underestimated the contract.  :)

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

15. Chorske says:

Honestly, if THAT is what the voice in Price’s head sounds like… I’m VERY disappointed.

Also: adopting that stance would simply reinforce the impression that most irritates his detractors- that he is a whiny petulant baby with an overblown sense of entitlement.

I don’t think he has ANYONE over a barrel except himself. And with the glut of goalies on the market, there is ZERO chance he is getting an offer sheet.

Heck, last anyone saw of him, he had just lost a game and earned two misconducts. Zero offer sheets, my friend.

At any rate, I hope and pray to Scarlett and all that is good and holy that Price’s inner voice is NOT as you describe.

16. terrygain says:

If Price thinks objectively he can’t have been impressed with management’s treatment of  last year’s number one goalie. They didn’t even talk to him before they traded him and they didn’t have the decency to tell him they were trading him. Although the trained seals here were giddy that Price has been handed the number one job, if he’s thought about it he won’t have been so impressed.

Bill – Sergei is like the little kid with his mother at the checkout counter in the grocery store. He starts having a tantrum to embarrass his mom so she will cave in and give him the candy that is located there.

We are all fed up with his act and realize he is a major league distraction(and pain). However, he is an asset that we shouldn’t just give away. His value is nil right now so why bother moving him.

I think the Hab managment team needs to re-visit the Sam Pollock school of thought on trading players. It’s all about timing.

Keeping in mind that SK74 is a immature brat, you still have to wonder why so many young players never make it here in Montreal. Forget trying to figure out the left wing lock, let’s address this question right now before we lose any more players.

18. Chorske says:

This is more of a buyout, isn’t it?

19. Rugger says:

Price cannot walk, No one is going to offer sheet him and he will sign for 1 year at about $2M.

20. HabFab says:

Is this the remake of the story of Lazerous or the Prodigal Son??

Welcome back!

21. Bill H says:

He’s being very diplomatic.  All he’ll say is that he will sign “the right deal”.  What he doesn’t say and can’t say is that Montreal can’t afford to pay him what he can get elsewhere.

22. Bugs says:

If it wasn’t for those binding contracts, eh?

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

23. Puck Bard says:

Pretty funny Cups.

24. Habsforlife 1959 says:

That’s how rumors are started here.  Let the clock tick on. 2 hours tell the show starts.

25. terrygain says:

Price would be crazy not to wait and see if someone wants to sign him to an offer sheet. He’s got Montreal over a barrel. He also understands that if he doesn’t play much better next year he’s going to get booed out of town.

26. Mark C says:

The cost of the “keep your yap shut” clause is what I’m most interested in knowing.

tg – We’re closing in on 20 years and that’s starting to scare the sheep out of me.

28. Jbird says:

Agree %100.  You’d think that SK would have been distracting his brother way more than anyone else.

29. N.B.habs fan says:

If I were Price,I would’t play for The Habs after how he got treated last season,being booed and not playing much.

Say as you wish,but I think Ellis will be signed with the habs and Price will walk.

30. Mark C says:

I’m starting to lean the same way – if neither Boyd nor Ellis sign, then the only value gained by this trade is the selection of SK74′s destination.

If people want to go on about this trade being about addition by subtraction, that’s fine, but it does not address the lack of return. Considering the future consideration attached to this deal, couldn’t SK74 been traded for a low draft pick instead of soon-to-be UFA’s?

31. terrygain says:

We are going to pay through the nose for an unproven goalie. Carey Price should have been traded to anyone who would take Hamrlik and his gawdawful 5.5 million contract. That would have freed up the money to sign the guy who got us into the playoffs and into the 3rd round.

The first UFA signs for a record breaking $750 million.  You go, girl!

33. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Ellis was a shaky proposition – the goal was to move Sergei out. Maybe Boyd will surprise. I suspect so.

Of the problems the team has, goaltending is the one easiest to solve given the market. Now that the dust has settled on the Halak move, we can all see a lack. Even if you agree with Gauthier that Price still has potential, he needs help. If you distrust Price’s ability to be a number one, you agree the team needs help. And a thing no one wants to say that has to be in the mind of any potential backup is the fact Halak took the job away from the anointed one last year. You can call Price the number one, but the possibility of taking his job away is there, for a skilled and steady veteran. I’m sure that if the poor kid gets shelled again, they will stubbornly leave him in there for a while. But the job will be intriguing for any goalie who believes he can Halak it. I imagine most of these guys have confidence in themselves.

34. Jbird says:

Dan Elis is talkiing with Tony on 990.  He really seems to want to be in MTL.  I like the guy.

35. ed lopaz says:

the question of the day, for me:

why haven’t the habs signed Price yet??

well, I will take a swing at this one, although there are several possibilities, no doubt.

its pay back time, and Price is in the driver’s seat, my friends.

picture yourself as Carey Price, sitting almost the entire last 3 weeks of the season, and 18/19 playoff games.

what are you thinking to yourself?

1) wow! this is great, I get to sit the bench and watch a 9th round nobody become the hero!!

nope. try again.

2) wow! this is great, Habs are winning and that’s all that counts – forget about my career!!

nope. try again

3) well, its cool that the team is winning, and I know I’m supposed to be a good team player and all, but

CRAP to HIGH HELL!!!

I’m an excellent goalie, I’m the “franchise”, I’m the “go to guy”, what the freakin crap is going on??????

YAP. Bingo!! door # 3. we have a winner!!

Not Price’s fault at all!!

I don’t blame him 1 bit.

The Habs made their decision, and they played the goalie they ended up trading.

Price is playing a little old fashioned “hard ball” – and if the Habs were thinking they could just turn to him

after the season and give him a 2 bit raise, well, this is a rude awakening for them.

36. G-Man says:

Hysterical! Love it! :)

37. terrygain says:

Good table at Canadiens.com

We have 16 players signed and 8.2  million in Cap Space. Don’t expect any important additions. Trading Halak before signing Price was not merely stupid but idiotic.  Chicago has 13 players signed and only 6 million is Cap Space left. Their reign is over.

38. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Let’s just say PG has antlers and dances the macarena on his desk for three hours every morning.

We can say it, right?

39. BJ says:

Any prospect? For sure not PK.

40. Bill J says:

WTF are you smoking so early in the morning ?

I didn’t attack ideas, I offered MY OWN opinion on the matter

get a life!

41. RetroMikey says:

The fireworks started Boone weeks ago when we traded Halak to St. Louis and signed Plekanec to a ludicrous offer.

Management has to be held accountable where our troubled franchise is heading.

I just have mixed feelings if this current roster has what it takes to make another Cinderella run in the playoffs come next spring.

I want a team what Bobby promised 6 years ago, a contender and a Cup in Montreal!

It appears Gauthier now is retooling the team and not bringing back the old Firewagon hockey that Bobby thought was going to bring us a Cup.

You know what they say,bring in a new GM, don’t expect results with the club after 3 or 4 seasons.

Even management has no plans for our franchise, they are experimenting with what money they have left in in Cap space.

But I am still shaking my head why we let Halak go, the goalie who basically took us far in the playoffs and signed Plekanec to a fat contract who did not put any offensive number in the playoffs.

Price will be in in his 4th year in the NHL and I see another frustrated season for the kid with an over the hill gang of DMen we have and we still are not big up front!

Even if the Habs have a sub par season and if the Habs keep selling out at the Bell Centre, that’s all that matters to the new owners and management with people like  Boivin will get another hefty bonus with a job well done by the Molson Brothers.

It’s  funny how Ellis wants to test the FA route and would not want to sign with the Habs tout de suite as they say.  Players want only the green paper and are not proud of donning the jersey they play for anymore.

Oh the pain, the pain of being a Habs’ fan,  the pain.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

42. Bill J says:

He wants out ?, OK I’ll bite – How do you know this ?

43. pmaraw says:

touchy… cause price is so amazing? why do you feel the need to always attack ideas? it’s bill j’s way or the highway. this is a forum where people can express their ideas.

44. zak says:

Someone is going to make a big offer for price and PG will take the picks’ let him walk and sign Theodore.

45. Bill H says:

“I say “We got rid of SK74 – WOOHOOO!!!!”

Not only that, Bill.  If SK74 signs with the Blues, we get future considerations.  And AK46 snaps out of it and scores 30 goals.  Sounds like a helluva trade to me.

46. Bill J says:

PG has stones, no doubt in my mind of that… (see Jaro trade)

Today we find out just how big they are lol

47. Habsforlife 1959 says:

Lets just say that Carey Price wants out and not much being said about it?

48. Puck Bard says:

I’m fine with it.

And I think it would be a very interesting strategy for Gauthier to do absolutely nothing today, then pick up some players in a month on the bread-line (risky in terms of a goalie, but I’d love anyone with the stones to try it).

49. Habs4ever Fan says:

Carey Price will be traded for that goalie in St Louis….Halak

Gautier is a genius

50. Bill J says:

I think on the flip side of that, this was the ONLY way to get rid of SK74.

Literally trading him for two UFA’s 30 hours before the UFA open market.

I think we all knew that SK74 was worthless…

Dunno, but instead of looking at it from the perspective “We could of gotten more time to work with the players” I say “We got rid of SK74 – WOOHOOO!!!!”

I guess I’m a Half full kinda guy lol

51. ParrySoundHabber says:

Hi Steve,

Still alive and well – Johnny Winter. Finally all that summit nonsense is over and we’re back to normal somewhat.Too much damn rain I can tell you that much, but July 1st is looking pretty good so far! I guess I’m waiting for noon like all the rest eh. You can find me on twitter most nights/days as there’s lots of good sports hacks to follow. Look me up BenJammin1960

hahaha @ Samsonov!!

“Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.”

Jean Beliveau

~If winning wasn’t important we wouldn’t keep score.

52. Puck Bard says:

Think what he’s saying is Habs should have had the grease to get it done in the prior 48, not now.

53. Bill J says:

And PG will be fired not too long after.  Tell ya what.  Next time you get a hunch.  Perhaps keep it to yourself.

You do remember that he already traded Halak, Right ?

Trading Price now, would be PG’s pink slip.

Letting him walk via a RFA offer sheet, would be PG’s Last warning to smarten up, if not his pink slip.

If the intention was to trade Price, they would have kept Jaro.

54. Bugs says:

You think Cedric is ready?

55. Habs4ever Fan says:

hmmmm….No Carey Price in nets for the habs next year vs Carey Price in the nets for the habs next year…..

Canadiens will win just as many games and probably go further in the playoffs without Carey Price.

Bye Carey, Don’t let the door hit you on the way out

56. Bugs says:

With all the attention Ilya is gettin as the prize FA acquisition, it’s amazing when one notices how deep the defender pool is.

You see the NAMES out there? Hamhuis, Gonchar, Martin, Volchenkov, Michalek…dang!

Gimme the Russian V!

Although Paul Martin…

Dang!

57. Puck Bard says:

Bad Tweet Arpon, bad Tweet

58. Bill J says:

Huh ?

Are you actually implying we should have kept SK74 ?

Your funny 24 – LMAO!!!

I’ve said it repeatedly….  Even if both players we got walk away today, the Habs are a better team today because of that trade.

Habs – SK74 = WIN for the Habs.

59. Habsforlife 1959 says:

I beleive Carey Price will be involve in a blockbuster trade with AK46 and possible a few prospects? Just a food for thought here? A big Hunch that is!!!!!

All this back-up goalie crap is starting to wear me down.  It is a buyers market and only a fool would go out and buy on July 1st.  A month from now some of these guys will be begging for work.  I’m starting to really wonder about this SK74 trade.  It could go south by the end of the day.

Hey, Ben – Where the hell have you been?  I was wondering if the black flies got to you.

BTW, I want my tax money back from all the freebies you guys received from Tony Clement.  I rate The Summit right up there with Sergei Samsonov.

62. N.B.habs fan says:

Don’t beat me up,but I think Ellis will be signed befor Price,Just a hunch.

63. petrov14 says:

I predict for us: 1 backup goalie (on the cheap)

1 middling forward (hopefully with size)

Thats is all.

64. Bugs says:

What did I say about the signing of Poolio?

I didn’t say nuthin about it.

I just say he’s my boy and if he pulls his head out his butt, he’ll be our number 1 centre.

What I never mentioned and what I should now is that those last weeks of his…uuugh, I’m gulpin hard.

65. Rugger says:

I don’t read to much into how long it is taking, Plecs said they were talking all spring and it sounded like they were pretty much set long before they signed.  I think the same thing is happening with Price.

66. Habsforlife 1959 says:

I agree 100%.

67. MikeMcLaren says:

Interesting thing about following hockey people on Twitter – collectively you start seeing interesting pictures:

From McKenzie: No progress of any kind thus far between MTL and Ellis. Unless something comes out of left field, he is going to market.

From Tim Pannacio in PHI: Flyers to Make an Offer to Goalie Ellis

From Andy Strickland (well connected STL beat guy) San Jose to take a hard look at Dan Ellis if he becomes available. Told they aren’t looking to spend what Mason and Turco are looking for

Looks like Mike Liut’s phone is going to start ringing in a few hours… it might be Gauthier trying to tie up his phone line though.

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

68. Bugs says:

Flyers to offer Ellis a contract.

69. nightmare_49 says:

… via Harpoon’s Twitter

As of this morning Mtl doesn’t want to go much more than 1M on a Price back up. That takes Ellis out and puts a Lalime ???

70. Puck Bard says:

I know… don’t want Lalime either man.

71. N.B.habs fan says:

Bugs,I am with you on the singing of Pioliot,I really think he can be better than he was last year.

72. N.B.habs fan says:

Rugeer,Why does it take so long to sign Price if they really want him,he should have been signed by now.

73. ParrySoundHabber says:

Habby Canadien Day everyone. Long time no see. Time now to sit back and wait for the 12pm fireworks or lack there of.

Jean Beliveau

~If winning wasn’t important we wouldn’t keep score.

74. Bugs says:

Ilya.

Yeah, baby!

C’mon!

C’moooooon…

75. Bugs says:

If the Habs have no intention of paying more than 1 mil for a backup goalie (as I just heard on the radio from some insider or other’s tweet), what was the point of trading for Ellis’s rights? He’s not gonna accept that.

I mean, if YOU were Ellis and had just come off a 2mil a year deal, would YOU accept 1 mil?

Give’m 2 mil, ferpetessakes, and he’ll sign!

I don’t WANT Lalime, man!

76. zaq007 says:

Would love to see us sign Koivu instead of over paying for Moore but that would only happend in my dream world :(… I miss him

77. petrov14 says:

wierd.

78. slapshot777 says:

The Sutter brain trust are at it again.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

79. Habs4ever Fan says:

TSN is reporting that the Habs have traded

Cammelerri to Florida for 6 hotdog vendors that don’t want to move from Florida

That Philly D unit is gonna get friggin’ Leighton both the Vezina and the Jennings.

81. BJ says:

I’d take him back in a flash

82. andrewberkshire says:

That’ll be tough when the Flyers are forced to forfeit every game for being 8 million over the cap!

83. Ground Chuck says:

You’re overlooking the fact that Biron sucks.

84. habsgod says:

that’s a terrible deal for ottawa! if he retires they’re screwed because that money will count against there cap.

85. Storm Man says:

Savard could be going to Calgary also.

86. petrov14 says:

Whos Cammelerri? Oh you mean Cammalleri? Nice try.

87. SlovakHab says:

Man, Calgary is getting soft.. Tanguay, Stajan, Kotalik would be a hack of a 2nd line attack, lol!

88. SlovakHab says:

Regehr has a NMC and Savard NTC, so it will take some paperwork before it happens.

89. slapshot777 says:

Kotalik is gone or at least he is a UFA anyways.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

90. GuyDoon says:

Would you do this: To Pitt => Hamrlik, AKost, Markov, To Mtl => Malkin. Sign Volcheckov, Foster

91. camel_larry says:

I would pee my pants 3 times with glee if that happened. Maybe 4.

92. Bill J says:

YES! Where do I sign the petition ?

93. SlovakHab says:

Not according to nhlnumbers. Weird.

94. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Hard to replace a player like Markov, but for Malkin…HELL YEAH.

Wait does that mean Gomez is our third line center? haha

95. andrewberkshire says:

Not unless they take Gomez.

96. Jeff says:

How? with CTC $$$?

97. Bill J says:

Not sure the Penguins are looking to pop the cap in one swift move….

But he could be swapped out for Hammr then…

IE Gomez + Markov + AK46…

98. Storm Man says:

Paperwork takes a few mins contracts are all the same just need to put the names on them.

99. Fab K says:

double post

100. jrshabs1 says:

Are you 100% sure that they wont sign..or did you wake up angry at the world today? Maybe you should put your name in for the GM job..you never know!! Your attitude towards your next employer needs a little work but PG won’t be the GM forever..good luck!!! I hope all your trades and signings are top cheese because there are sure a lot of arm chair GM’s just waiting to jump down your throat.

101. Fab K says:

I would love to see AK play on the same line with Malkin…

102. Jeff says:

Yup, dumbdeedum, too much $$$ & NTC????

103. Jeff says:

Pitt has some prospect centres and no $$$ room, Kabby for Staal.

104. ooder says:

Leighton will be the first goalie to go 0-82 but with a sparkling save percentage and GAA of 0

——————

88 is the new 23

105. Jeff says:

Soooooo, do you wanna talk Ellis to the Habs????  Muahhhh!

106. Jeff says:

Yup, he could have pacified the F/C portion of the fan base (Bugsy 2) & a great back-up/replacement for The Princess cheaply.

Good post!

107. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

It’s called addition by subtraction!

108. andrewberkshire says:

I like it.

109. GuyDoon says:

Try crunching the numbers. It works. Andrew, it would be hard not to go along with Pitts wanting Gomez rather than Hamrlik.

110. HabFanSince72 says:

Tampa dumps Meszaros and his $4M salary onto the Flyers.

111. Malreg says:

Biron gone to the Rangers.

That was quick! lol

112. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Biron signs with the Rangers.

113. slapshot777 says:

I Have to laugh at the morons on TSN. They are saying that Toronto acquired a top six forward in Versteeg. A 20 goal scorer.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

114. Storm Man says:

Biron 2 year deal with the Rangers.

115. Bugs says:

I liked it when she said Versteeg immediately upgrades their roster.

Guess what, lady? My sister’s pet monkey immediately upgrades their roster, aw’ight?

116. SeriousFan09 says:

Actually they underestimate his value, scoring 20G in TOR makes you a Top 3 guy.

117. petrov14 says:

Did somebody call that on the last thread??

118. Bill J says:

875K per season, this is a good thing – could help the Habs in the negotiations with Ellis – if there are any more.

119. HabFanSince72 says:

I saw Biron  last year at the Bell Ctr and he was a sieve. Couldn’t have stopped a beachball.

120. petrov14 says:

OK, I’ll bite:

Volchenkov -> Washington

Malhotra -> Leaf of Maples

Biron -> Rangers

So far so good SlovakHab. 1/3, 5 minutes in….

121. Storm Man says:

I hope so but I think the door is closing in Ellis in Montreal.

122. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Dan Paille resigned back in Boston 2 years 2.15M. 1M and 1.15.

123. JIMVINNY says:

I’d have to think they’re right.  plenty of top-six forwards are closer to 20 goals than 30.

124. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I hope so. I was hoping we’d get Biron if Ellis didn’t pan out for us.

125. JIMVINNY says:

One thing about that Biron contract is that it really set the price for back-up goalies.

126. Danno says:

How do I access this CoverItLive window?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

127. deuce6 says:

They are overvaluing him big time..He is gritty? Huh? What grit can a 5’10″ player bring that weighs 175lbs.?

He was simply a depth forward with CHI that didn’t have tough ice time against opposition’s top checkers..Will he repeat his 20 goal season? Not likely..He was a great depth player on a good team..That is it, IMO..

128. Anonymous says:

Very carefully, c/p the link into your address bar

129. JIMVINNY says:

I would like to know as well.

130. twilighthours says:

How many of our top 6 forwards scored 20 goals?  I get the TSN hate, but come on… Versteeg is a really nice player.  if he were a Hab, he’d be ahead of AKost or Pouliot on our depth chart.

131. _Habsoloutly_ says:

15 minutes in and I’m already sick of TSN discussing Toronto and Versteeg.

132. JIMVINNY says:

That brings up a CANWEST login page.

133. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Relax bud, Just 4 more hours and 45 minutes of the same crap. No biggy.

Biron signing with the Rangers for two years at $875000 says something about the goalie market.  He obviously has accepted the fact that he will never be a starter again and took the same amount of coin that we should spend on a back-up.  A few weeks from now some of these guys will be going for $600000 grand.

135. Fansincebirth says:

For all you trade savvy folks here, what does Montreal get (in compensation) if Ellis doesn’t sign with us?

136. Anonymous says:

Than you did it wrong

137. zozotheclown says:

I heard 5th rounder

138. Danno says:

Thanks Ninja!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

139. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Sergei Gonchar has signed in OTT for three years at $5.5M plus a NTC.

140. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Baby ninja ;)

Show the baby some respect. Well since you’re Maurice the great, you shall be forgiven.

141. Anonymous says:

That is TSN’s link and not HIO’s jsyk

142. Storm Man says:

Maybe the fact Biron did not want to come and play in Montreal could be a fact or he is not on Montreal’s game plan.

143. Fansincebirth says:

Buh bye Volchenkov?

144. slapshot777 says:

Heard that the Habs are speaking to Johan Hedberg as well, just in case Ellis becomes to rich for the Habs.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

145. SeriousFan09 says:

Let the desperate bidding start by PIT for a puck-mover. OTT proves that nobody really knows what they’re doing again, 35+ with a 3 year deal and NTC for a D that struggles with injury? Oyoyoyoy…

146. andrewberkshire says:

Ottawa continues signing players over 35 to stupid contracts.

147. shootdapuck says:

Hedberg ????

I hope that is a joke!

Couldn’t stop a beachball!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

148. petrov14 says:

Kaberle to PIT?

149. SeriousFan09 says:

I liked Hedberg from the start as an option, older but doesn’t make taking up extra duty at time but won’t really expect a #1 position and would be more willing to backup Price, plus his age makes him cheap.

150. RGM says:

Do you own a Delorian? Have you seen the future?

Scotty Bowman said it best: “Don’t trade Carey Price.”

151. Anonymous says:

Malkin for Markov, straight up.

152. madmat411 says:

I never believed Gauthier as a good GM

153. SlovakHab says:

Tanguay -> Calgary, lol

154. Danno says:

Baby Ninja. My apologies. :)

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

155. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Poor fans, why not spend that money on Volchenkov?

156. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Braydon Coburn has re-signed in PHI.

157. SeriousFan09 says:

For what? Burke wants a Top-6 forward for the guy and PIT is short of scoring wingers already and they’re not ready to give up their 3-man deep at centre.

158. andrewberkshire says:

Well to be fair, that’s WAY too much to spend on Volchenkov, because he contributes nothing offensively. But I’m sure looking forward to Moen walking around Gonchar 6 times a year.

159. Fansincebirth says:

Would Sutton be a good pickup for us?

160. Ground Chuck says:

When do we sign Richard and Beliveau?

161. Ground Chuck says:

Another horrible post by our habsrdestiny.

162. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Hahahah Alex Tanguay is going to Calgary for a one year deal.

163. _Habsoloutly_ says:

lol

164. Tharsis says:

overdramatic much? lol, I don’t think that move has vaulted the sens into cup contendor status.  5.5 million for 3 years for  a 35+ defenseman with a no trade clause, not that great a deal man.

———————————-

Fate leads the willing, and drags along the reluctant.

165. shootdapuck says:

at 3.5 million?

No way!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

166. Jbird says:

He sounds good – it sounds like a good signing – look at the details and the stats though – he will be on the 1st line probably. . . .

167. TripleX says:

7.3 million for 59 points?

Leafs got a deal and the Habs got robbed.

ROFL OK

168. TripleX says:

You have yet to explain how this is better than signing Biron????

169. petrov14 says:

I keep getting flashbacks of his MAB hit! PLAYING HIM 6 TIMES THIS YEAR IS GONNA SUCK.

170. Jbird says:

Colby Armstrong: “Hey, you can’t beat the Leafs”. HMMM  I think this guy will learn a lot in Toronto.

171. Storm Man says:

Biron did not want to play here it is that simple.

172. TripleX says:

You are WRONG.  PG turned him down dude!

173. Bugs says:

Uh, excuse me, but the curb ain’t the gutter.

174. ooder says:

no one in thier right mind thinks the gomez deal is any good

but MTL was handcuffed at that point because no one would want to come here consdering koivu left and pleks came off his worst season

——————

88 is the new 23

175. avatar_58 says:

Boy you sure know a lot don’t you?

176. TripleX says:

I had no idea that Sather had a gun to Bob’s head.

It is called building through the draft with inexpensive core players who have no choice but to play in Montreal.

177. Jeff says:

The Leafs certainly did it to the Habs last season, almost put you out of the playoffs with an AHL line-up.

178. slapshot777 says:

You can’t say that. Where isyour proof that PG in fact did turn down Biron. Show me the proof. If you are make that statement back it up.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

179. B says:

$1M to backup Desjardins in Hamilton? Besides, Mayer should be filling that role.

180. Storm Man says:

You may want to spend a little time getting your computer fix your Caps lock is on alot. Please do find me where PG turned Biron down.

181. Jeff says:

Since 1993, the Leafs have been the better club despite all the hate here.

182. ooder says:

right and then the habs would have tanked and everybody here would be happy and get along and everything would be great

——————

88 is the new 23

183. SlovakHab says:

I sure hope it is a Hamilton deal!!

184. deuce6 says:

lol..Some of you need to relax on this Auld signing..We wanted a back up at a reasonable price and we got one..With the trading of Halak we all knew that this was Carey’s team..

What did you all expect? A Turco or Nabakov to sign here for 1M? Auld is a servicable backup with a very cheap price tag…This enables us to now re up Price and the rest of our RFAs..Maybe even fit Moore under…

Auld will get 20 or so starts and that is what we are paying for..Ellis can kiss my ass..lol

185. zozotheclown says:

Auld is a good fit, career backup with no ego, won’t mind little playing time, and isn’t completely terrible when he does play, I’ve seem some good games. Ends the goalie controversy though, everythings on Price.

186. GuyDoon says:

Auld is a good goalie. Not great, but good. He knows his role. And if Price plays as he can, we’ll be fine! Ellis must know that forever more, he will be boo’ed in MTL.

187. TripleX says:

It is called the internet.  Surprising what information can be found if you know how to use it dude.

188. SeriousFan09 says:

1 million is too high for an AHL deal, Auld is the backup.

189. SeriousFan09 says:

Since the lockout, one team hasn’t sniffed the playoffs, guess which one.

190. SlovakHab says:

Armstrong _>> Leafs!!

3y @ 9M

191. TripleX says:

I could be wrong but didn’t PG say he has allocated 4 million for both goalies?  Sooooooo….Price is getting 3 million?

There goes the negotiating power to Price once AGAIN because of PG.

Can the Montreal management put any MORE pressure on  Price?

ROFL

192. SeriousFan09 says:

Leafs Truculate their roster with Colby Armstrong.

And Nittymaki to the Sharks, guess Nitty has no aspirations of winning a Cup.

193. hablifting says:

If Price implodes?  This team is going to be nowhere near the playoffs with Auld running the show.

Very risky move.

194. Chorske says:

Hey, on teams with decent D, Auld typically has a save % of about 0.900-0.910. That ain’t half bad. Course, that ain’t all good either.

195. SlovakHab says:

Nyytttyyymmmaaakkiii –>>> Sharks

2y @ 4M

196. petrov14 says:

C. Armstrong to TO? This is a very bad day…..

197. JIMVINNY says:

I still remember that Auld was the first goalie to record a shutout in a loss, and it was against the habs.

198. Jeff says:

Keep your heads up Habs….oh wait the Habs are so small they don’t have to……duuuuhh!

Gomez vs Armstrong/Versteeg, so sad so sad….not even close.

199. Jeff says:

Colby Armstrong & Kris Versteeg now Leafs!

Habs got Alex Auld….

200. avatar_58 says:

Oi vey

201. Fansincebirth says:

Damn, I wanted him with us!!!

202. zozotheclown says:

Armstrong a leaf, they’re getting hard to play against…

203. gmd says:

San Jose just choked on their goalie pick.  Another exit from the playoffs coming up.

When you dream, you gotta dream big.

205. hablifting says:

This move fits with the Leafs template.  Leafs will not be easy to play this year.

206. TripleX says:

Burke is such a dummy isn’t he?  Leafs first game against Montreal will be very interesting.

207. JIMVINNY says:

A lot of money for a guy like that.

208. camel_larry says:

wow guys, this large cow you are having is most unnecessary. He’s a backup, and if they can sign ellis, might even get sent down to Hamilton. Noooo biggy.

Habs Go!

209. SeriousFan09 says:

We’re quaking in fear of a team adding a 15G and 20G scorer…

210. Puck Bard says:

Right then, Sorting Hat sends  Michalek to Slitherin, Biron to Ravenclaw,  Gonchar to Hufflepuff and Auld to Griffindore…

I’m outta here.

211. SeriousFan09 says:

Wasn’t that the Leafs motto that they’d be hard to play against last year?

212. ooder says:

HH.. advocating for tanking now i’ve seen it all ;)

——————

88 is the new 23

213. shootdapuck says:

Alex Auld???

Is this s joke?

When Price collapses then what???

Goatier do you have a contingency plan?

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

214. SeriousFan09 says:

That’s all that was said going into last year, ask the Bruins how they feel about their 2nd overall pick concerning that idea.

215. zozotheclown says:

Well they were, atleast for us, that team is built to play us hard. They should still falter against everyone else due to lack of scoring.

216. SlovakHab says:

D. Tolensky: Only on July 1 is a guy who had 29 pts priced ‘appropriately’ at $9 mil over 3 years. For the next 1095 days he’s what we call ‘overpaid’.

(On Armstrong to Leafs)

217. hablifting says:

What happened to Markov again?

A guy like Armstrong has you looking over your shoulder on every skate into the corner, on every pass, every shot.  Very distracting presence to have on the ice for the opposing teams.  Whether or not the Leafs have enough other parts in place is another thing.

218. punkster says:

They weren’t easy to play last year either. Or the last 40-some years. It’s all that truculence. Gets in the way of their “talent”.

FREE TIMO!

219. TripleX says:

Sign Ellis????????????????????

220. JIMVINNY says:

Uh oh, everyone look out ex-habs fan habrdestiny is threatening his detractors with gonadal violence.

221. SeriousFan09 says:

He got injured in a freak accident on a PK off a BS penalty, nothing to do with anything a Loaf did.

Armstrong isn’t a boogeyman, MTL has dealt with him for years already in PIT and ATL, two more meetings per year isn’t going to change anything.

222. hablifting says:

You’re a smart guy.  Certainly you can figure out the difference between “hard to play against” and “Sucessful”.  Meanwhile that 2nd overall pick may never even score 30 goals in this league, let him play a couple games in the NHL first eh? :)

223. TripleX says:

From the Twitter account of James Mirtle:

I’m surprised Montreal didn’t try and add a netminder who loses out on one of the few No. 1 roles. Auld should have been down their list.

224. Storm Man says:

With the pick-up of Auld is does give Desjardins a shot of making the team as a back-up to Price also. Some people on here need to have a drink.

225. ooder says:

3 million dollars who had 29 points?

lol ok

——————

88 is the new 23

Colby Armstrong to TO. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

227. hablifting says:

For all the trash talk about the Leafs, it’s not like the last 17 years of habsville haven’t been spent wallowing in the gutter along with them.

228. SeriousFan09 says:

Well if they were hard to play against, perhaps they wouldn’t have been so easily walked over for most of the NHL season. Seguin is a considered an elite prospect who’s got a stable of veteran players to mentor him, he’s not getting stuck in a hellhole team and expected to lift them.

229. petrov14 says:

If….IF Price fails then the back-up plan is, LOTTERY-PICK! Or mid-season pick-up/trade.

230. JIMVINNY says:

problem is that he didn’t actually want to come here to be a backup.  if we’d offered 1.5, as I’m sure Gauthier did, he wouldn’t have accepted.  He wants to start.

231. petrov14 says:

AND WE GET ALEX F-ING AULD!??! I guess Ellis just didnt wanna play in MTL…

232. TripleX says:

Dan Ellis signed for two years 3 million.  I would have paid an extra 500,000 for him or LESS for Biron.

ps HOW DOES PITT AND PHILLY DO IT?

233. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

WOOOW Penguins…

Michalek AND Martin…wow.

His Twitter account only had got two hits since the signing, has lost 5,783 followers and the phone stopped ringing.

235. SeriousFan09 says:

Could be the tax issue, in MTL he could have been seeking closer to 2 million to compensate against the lower tax rates he’d face in Tampa.

236. TripleX says:

How are you sure what PG offered dude?

237. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Boogard to NY Rangers!

238. JIMVINNY says:

No proof, just something that I’m sure of.  You know, just how I’m sure that you and I will never get along for more than 2 minutes at a time.

239. punkster says:

This is way more money than he’s worth so good on him. I mean, really, for a backup? He’s no better or worse than Auld but he’s making 50% more so he made the right deal for him and his family.

FREE TIMO!

240. kaizenfe says:

So in the end is all about money eh!, Happy for him

Relationships

241. warriorhockey says:

volchenkov to devils

242. warriorhockey says:

ya hes one of my favorite players

243. petrov14 says:

Ellis: 2 yrs 1.5 mil per??? WTF?!

244. nightmare_49 says:

SCott Burnside reports Paul Martin is a Pittsburgh Penguin – WOW.

245. petrov14 says:

I second that.

246. J.J. of Turku says:

I want Olli Jokinen… To stay out of the Habs…

247. SlovakHab says:

Manny Malhotra to Vancouver, 3 yrs / 7.5M no trade.

248. Bill J says:

Instead of perhaps slapping yourself across the face for not realizing that Carey has much more value then you think ?

Man you can be quite “lame” in your posts.

He’s 22, he’s not some washed up 30 year old goalie with no promise.

249. G-Man says:

Hey, Bill. Price hasn’t done anything of note at the NHL level. Potential Schmotential. He’s young and has regressed. I don’t think he has it. You do. Party on.

250. Bill J says:

How many 22 year old goalies have done “anything of note”

There are not many, and Niemi is NOT an example of this BTW. lol

& for the record, aside from Roy’s Cup championship – Price’s stats in his first 3 years are VERY comparable to Roy in his first 3 years.

Food for thought, at least paints a realistic picture of Price’s value.

251. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Has anyone noticed that the most of the busiest teams in the offseason has been teams from our division. Boston, Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal has been fairly busy as well.

252. camel_larry says:

Boston scares me… Ottawa is sub par, Toronto sucks, and whether the habs will be good or not is dependent on the goalie situation, I think. Today is an important day.

253. PrimeTime says:

Immaturity, Insecurity and Ignorance spread all over this site once again…. shocking!!

“People build teams in certain ways. I’ve always traded for futures – not pasts.” – Sam Pollock The reason we are Hab fans http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1476

254. RGM says:

But, but everybody was so desperate to sign Martin Biron. We could have had a French-Canadian goaltender for $125,000 cheaper than Alex Auld.

It’s quite a place, but if nothing else days like this remind me why I took a vacation from the site before the playoffs started.

Scotty Bowman said it best: “Don’t trade Carey Price.”

255. ooder says:

bugs there are plenty of great french reporters and thier are plenty of french tools.

unfortunately the tools are heard the loudest.

last year it offended me when rds did an entire segment about the kostitsyns and started laughing about how we should send them back to siberia and showed pictures of a really crappy and ugly town.

as if all russian/belorussians come from a town like that.

but did anyone every say anything??? nooooooo

however when Lauseless was traded for not doing anythign they gave him a goodbye montage

there is plenty of favourtitsm towards the french in the media (not that there is anything wrong with that) but sometimes it goes over the limit.

maybe Gauthier didn’t feel like deeling with it

——————

88 is the new 23

256. Bugs says:

Yeah, better to leave that to the English xenophobes.

All they’re good for anyway.

257. ooder says:

bugs why do you get so offended when people bring up the french issue?

i mean common, on RDS there are articles that the habs should draft french canadains just because they are french.

there is always man love for guys like begin, latendresse, lapierre etc etc

while making videos about how the kostitsyns belong in siberia when their play faltered a little

PG is right not give more fuel to the schmucks on RDS.

I (and SF) am not saying all french people are xenophobes

but the ones that are have the biggest voice in MTL

——————

88 is the new 23

258. Bugs says:

They’re “heard the loudest” because they are MADE to be heard the loudest by the ENGLISH media only too happy to have themselves therefore perceived as more balanced and level-headed by proning the “Language shouldn’t matter” rule as a general stance as opposed to the SPECIFIC “à talent égal” rule, which is ACTUALLY the way ”the French media and fans” see it.

And by “the French media tools”, let’s not mince words, we’re talking about Raymond Tremblay and whathisface who wrote Lance et Compte. The rest are your run’o'the mill sports reporters just like ANYWHERE else, no more savvy or dimwitted than the rest.

As for the laughing at Kostitsyn article, I didn’t see it, but if you’re serious about the “laughing” part, then I must conclude that it was an editorial, and not a REPORT.

You may want to check out some English editorials from Brian Wilde, Jack Todd, and even Red Fisher to observe that they don’t shy away from using the same tactics.

I just want this ridiculous and counterproductive finger-pointing to stop. We’re all on the same team. French and English have to work together. We can do it. It’s part of our heritage.

Comments suggesting the French media and fans aren’t generally as competent as the English ones surely aren’t the way to go about it since thse comments CANNOT be based on anything EXCEPT a subjective viewpoint.

259. Bugs says:

I get offended because I’m French and that’s a load of bullspit.

I have NEVER read an article, on RDS or elsewhere, that said “Let’s get this guy because he’s French. Never seen’m play; don’t know if he has any talent, but since his name is Tremblay, let’s get’m.” That’s total bullspit. We say “à talent égal” let’s privilege the French guy. À talent égal!

But not a day goes by when I don’t read in ENGLISH newspapers that “The French media and fans WILL do this or WILL do that”, never what they HAVE done but what they WILL do, effectively PROJECTING prejudice. It’s garbage and it peeves me off.

Was watching a TSN video last night. John Lu. TSN tool. He said something to the effect that Montreal would like to get Biron but “there is a general fear that a lot of the French media and fans will be calling for Biron to get most of the starts and create a goalie contoversy due to his last name.”

Right. That’s what we’d do. You know, unlike we did last year? When there was NO goalie controversy and NOBODY from the French media or fans wanted the 2nd goalie to get most of the starts. Why should they? Halak wasn’t French. What did we care? So no controversy in net last year at all, right?

John Lu is a tool PROGRAMMED by the Toronto Sports Network to purposefully add fuel to the fire with this “French media’s fault-English media are perfect” business and you talk to me of “shmucks” who, agree with them or not, AT LEAST cannot be faulted for not having YOUR team’s best interests at heart?

Yeah, it offends me.

260. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Poor Tanguay haha signs with CGY, for a 1 year, $1.7M with NMC.

261. HabsFanInTampa says:

Poor Tanguay? The guy hasn’t done squat the last three years and gets rewarded by getting a $1.7M contract. What you should be saying is poor Flames.

262. BJ says:

Poor Tanguay 1.7 M? Not so poor.

263. slapshot777 says:

Theres talk of  Regher going to Boston for Savard. Calgary is trying to re-acquire all their former players.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

264. andrewberkshire says:

I still laugh whenever I even think of that goal. What the hell was Gonchar thinking?

265. B says:

How do you know what Halak wanted? It was reported they did not even talk contract with Halak. They should have at least signed Price before rushing to dump Halak. I hope this does not bite them in the behind.

266. TripleX says:

From the Twitter account of Arpon Basu:

Possible, but unlikely. Would need to overpay, and that’s risky RT @the_wall33: @ArponBasu Is nobody expecting Price to get an offer sheet?

267. terrygain says:

If PG  doesn’t sign Price after trading Halak, he looks like an idiot.  Price has Montreal over a barrel.

268. ed lopaz says:

I don’t get it with some of the posters here.

They want Carey Price, they fight for him all year, and they yell and scream how freakin good he is.

Fine.

he is 22 years old, and has great potential.

Fine.

Now that Price has been given the # 1 spot, the same people don’t think he should be paid like a # 1.

Halak wanted # 1 goalie money – 4 million.

Habs trade Halak.

Price wants # 1 goalie money – probably around 3 million –

Why not sign Price and at least start the season with a legit # 1 goalie??

If Price is # 1, then pay him like # 1.

That’s all his agent is saying, and the Price fans on this site shoud be arguing that Price DESERVES THE MONEY.

I just don’t get it.

269. Chorske says:

You pay the player what the player is worth, not what the POSITION is worth.

I don’t get paying through the nose for someone who THINKS they should be #1.

We had to trade the better guy, I get that, we couldn’t afford him. But why then turn around and break the bank for Price? Doesn’t make an ounce of sense.

270. Jbird says:

No.  too rushed.  what prospects.   meh  they suck

271. HabFanSince72 says:

But Leaf fans assure me that next season is THE season.

272. danedmunds says:

ya all I am saying is that I think Burke in 1 more year is going to make one hell of a team

273. danedmunds says:

i didnt say he was!

274. Puck Bard says:

Versteeg got traded to Leafs overnight: we thought you were referring to that.

Personally I don’t see the eminent emergence of a powerhouse: no goaltending and no offense (and no farm system)

275. pmaraw says:

LOL!!!  Every Leaf fan I know doesnt even want to talk to me about hockey, they kinda mumble turn, wave their hand at mme in a shooing motion and walk away….

276. Max_a_million says:

Next season is always THE SEASON in the center of the universe deux.

277. likehoy says:

sad to see biron go for 875k/yr for 2 years….he could have been a decent back up for us but i guess we’re working on getting ellis

278. TripleX says:

PG IS BRAIN DEAD!

From the Twitter account of Arpon Basu:

Still can’t get over #Habs saying no to Biron then paying MORE for Auld, even though it’s only a 1-yr deal

279. SeriousFan09 says:

PG didn’t want the French media xenophobes raising a flap all year and causing issues with French V English in nets I would say.

280. Rugger says:

Biron signed at about 12:02, when exactly was PG supposed to give him an offer?

281. RGM says:

This is based on the assumption that even if Montreal did offer Biron exactly the same deal as the Rangers that Biron was interested in coming to Montreal. We have zero evidence to suggest that this is indeed the case.

In short, proclaiming the GM brain dead is foolhardy at best, libelous at worst.

Scotty Bowman said it best: “Don’t trade Carey Price.”

282. novahab says:

I really don’t see PG signing Ellis because he not a good fit. He going to want alot of cash and he wants to be the starter. Now PG may wait him out because there are a few goalies out there and his price could come down. I don’t see him signing Boyd either because I think we have what we need on the farm that cheaper and I think better. He going to wait out Laps because I don’t believe anyone going to give him a offer sheet so he ll come back cheap. Now we might not sign either player in the so called SK trade but if SK signs the Habs get a draft choice so I am good with that.

283. BJ says:

A 7th choice for SK 74 is not a lot unless we can find another Halak! If PG had no intention of signing either than he is truly an imbecile.

284. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Hurricanes agreed to terms with Anton Babchuk on a one-year deal. The contract will pay Babchuk $1.4 million in 2010-11.

285. camel_larry says:

Babchuk to carolina for 1 year. 1.4 m.

286. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

I meant that he was so worried about not getting traded again, that he signed a 1 year deal with a no movement clause hahah. Who gets a NMC on a 1 year deal?

287. novahab says:

Here’s a rumor for you Crosby will let this contract run out so he can sign with the Habs and live his true dream in the NHL. When Crosby played against the Habs in the playoffs his heart was not in beating the one team he loves.

288. camel_larry says:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

fail.

I just spewed my sprite all over my keyboard.

289. BJ says:

That would be for the 2013-14 season unless we don’t make it pass 2012!

290. naweed235 says:

simply lol…

291. petrov14 says:

We can dream….

292. TripleX says:

Paul Martin looks to sign with Pittsburgh.  Yikes!  The Eastern Conference is loading up big time.

293. Storm Man says:

Alex Steen Blues 4 year deal.

294. HabFanSince72 says:

TSN rumour: Laraque to Edmonton.

HA HA HA HA

295. Fansincebirth says:

hahahaha, TSN just mentioned BGL back to Edm to add some toughness!!!!

296. naweed235 says:

hey any chance we could get in on Ladd?!?!! i’d love to have him here… i think he is exactly what we need

297. Fansincebirth says:

Can someone call PG to see if he’s awake yet?

298. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Wow forget the back-up goalie, we don’t even have the bottom 6 forwards and Price signed yet.

299. Ground Chuck says:

I can’t wait for Edmonton to announce the signings of Kurri, Messier, Fuhr and Gretzky.

300. Rugger says:

Of the 4 players signed so far, Biron, Tanguay, Gonchar & Paille who do you think PG should have jumped on?

301. RetroMikey says:

Goalie Marty Biron signed with the Rangers, a fine acquisition.

I
    just want to know why we want Ellis more than this character guy in
    Biron who would have been a great mentor to our so called franchise
    player in Price and could have given Price a run for the starting goaltending position?

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

302. novahab says:

BGL first game back in the NHL.

hey do you want to fight

not right now George

ok well maybe next time your in town we can fight

yea ok George I think about it and let you know next time

George: opps you guys just scored on us well it not like I didn’t ask you to fight

303. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

I should be more patient.

304. Bill J says:

I remember people saying the same thing last year.

Then WHAM Cammallerri signed.

Relax! lol

305. TripleX says:

Biron in a heartbeat.

306. ooder says:

mike johnson talking about koivu on tsn

remeber that guy lol (johnson)

——————

88 is the new 23

Edmonton looks well positioned to be a power house a la Chicago Blackhawks in a few years.

Ottawa just got older and has positioned themselves to be a bubble team for a few years.

Toronto looks to be an either or team. Either really, really crappy or really, really terrible.

Calgary is looking like the late 90 Habs.

Montreal is taking the tortoise approach as opposed to the hare approach.

In 2 years though the Habs and the Oliers will play for the Cup, much to the chagrin of Gary Bettman, who gets fired, by NBC, yes the Oliers, the hottest young run and gun superstars of the month versus the Habs, the defensively minded team made up of young 3rd and 4th liners and led by veteran smurfs with the new and improved NHL ready Price, the same Price that was WJC and Calder Cup MVP.

The Cup final thing is just an HH musing but the inferrence is that the direction thing will with both clubs. Both teams IMHHO will be strong in 2 years but with very contrasting styles of play.

308. andrewberkshire says:

We only need 2 more forwards signed, so it’s not a big deal.

309. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

TBAY Lightning tweet: They have signed Marty St. Louis to a four year extension.

310. BJ says:

4 year ext. Tampa’s St. Louis

311. Habs4ever Fan says:

Gautier announces signing of 2 mop men for section 112

“We identified a weakness in that section and we now feel that the bottoms of peoples feet will be less sticky for the upcoming season”

Carey Price will be used as an alternative mop cleaner when the number 1 mop cleaner needs to be rested

312. TripleX says:

Martin St. Louis signs a four year extension.  Welcome to the Yzerman Lightning and a new era.

313. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

The Queen has arrived in Ottawa. I want to say what’s up to her.

314. Storm Man says:

Rubbish.

315. SeriousFan09 says:

Tip of the Day from my Canadian Law Class: Do not Alarm Her Majesty, it’s in the same classification of laws as Murder and Treason, not joking.

316. camel_larry says:

heh

317. punkster says:

Can’t find any fault with your dreams there Dave. Make it so!

FREE TIMO!

318. pierre lapuck says:

none, they’re all stiffs

319. TripleX says:

Biron at 1.8 million for two years is rubbish?  LOL

-1000

320. jrshabs1 says:

Our previous GM made 6 deals on or about July 01/09..I have no idea if twiddled his thumbs while doing it. Is that you Timo?

321. Storm Man says:

St. Louis deal is 22.5 over 4 years

322. punkster says:

Tony?

FREE TIMO!

323. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

ooo.

Didn’t she get a ticket by the police a few days ago? For not wearing a seatbelt.

324. SlovakHab says:

Z. Michalek to Pitt. Done. (Dreger)

5 years @ 20M

325. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Holy cow..Z. Michalek to Pittsburgh.

326. TripleX says:

Kovalev in a contract year and Gonchar to set him up will light it up on the PP.

327. Storm Man says:

Biron the past 3 years…. 3.27,2.79,2.59 GAA 896,915,918 SV% again Rubbish and your at a -Duodecillion.

328. nightmare_49 says:

via Pierre LeBrun tweet

Am told Dan Ellis close to signing with a team and it’s NOT Montreal

329. camel_larry says:

Z Michalek to Pittsburgh, 5 year, 20m.

330. Storm Man says:

Hmmmm wanted him with the Habs but out of reach at that price for us this year :(

331. TripleX says:

.915 and 918 over the last two years is rubbish?  LMAOOOOOOO

What was Price last season?

OH YEAH .912!!!

For under a million a year Biron is a steal.  Are you serious?

ps you do understand statistical trends….Biron is getting BETTER

-1000000000

332. SlovakHab says:

MA Godin: No Biron, no Ellis. Mason too pricey. Theo doesn’t want to come back… Will Gauthier have to settle for Hedberg or Lalime?

333. Storm Man says:

Ellis in Tampa could be a good fit.

334. slapshot777 says:

Maybe Sanford or Desjardins?

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

335. sh00n says:

Better be Hedberg.

336. Storm Man says:

Yah I am, Biron was great in 2 Games with the sound tigers last year. LOL

and plus the fact he did not want to play here.

337. SeriousFan09 says:

Desjardins lost his job to Sanford in the AHL playoffs and Sanford proceeded to blow Games 6 & 7 for Hamilton in their Conference Final, don’t see that happening.

338. Jeff says:

Sorry Lats signed a reasonable contract already…..he’s not interested

339. nightmare_49 says:

Biron gone to the NY Rangers.

340. petrov14 says:

Alex Auld to MTL???

341. bwoar says:

The Oilers will find a way to muck it up well before then.

342. petrov14 says:

From Bob MAckenzie

343. SlovakHab says:

Alex Auld a Hab!! (1 M per 1 year)

OH NO!!

344. nightmare_49 says:

ST – S.J.

345. Chorske says:

Oh noes!

Simmer down, chicken little.

346. nightmare_49 says:

H_CP – Very unsung ‘D’ but a tad pricey and will make the Pens strong. Habs sign Ault.

347. TripleX says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Well Price is the UNDISPUTED NUMBER 1.  CONGRATULATIONS MR. PRICE AND MR. GAINEY AND MR. GAUTHIER.

THERE IS NO LONGER A GOALIE DISPUTE IN MONTREAL.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

348. petrov14 says:

yup…

349. camel_larry says:

1 yr 1 m

350. petrov14 says:

Not my first choice….:P

351. punkster says:

?

FREE TIMO!

352. SmartDog says:

I wouldn’t get too attached to Ellis. He seems to like the idea of Montreal but he’s smart to test the waters and I doubt he’ll end up here.  A lot of teams are interested in him and several who a) have a more realistic shot at a cup and b) are probably willing to pay more.  Those two things together mean that he is likely gone.

As for Price, a little odd that he hasn’t signed yet.  Did Gauthier even check to make sure that he wants to stay in Montreal before letting Halak go?  I mean, motivation, WANTING to be where you are, etc. are kind of important. A little. Not everyone over 50 thinks so but….

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop.

353. TripleX says:

Please SmartDog!  We made the ECF so the Habs are one of the top THREE teams in the league.  Right?

Chicago then Philadelphia and then Montreal.  LMAOOOOOOO

354. gauver says:

If Price and his agent are playing hardball in their negotiations as some have suggested, he may discover that his value is not much more than most backups make.  The other possibility is that the Habs are playing hardball and are unwilling to pay more than $2 million for an relatively unproven goaltender.  The risk is that they end up having to match a richer offer from another team.  This is a pretty effective way to determine “market rate” for Price.  I suspect that the Habs will end up signing him for $1 to $1.5 million for one year; this will give Price an opportunity to play to his potential and position him for a big raise next year.

This leads me to ask how much do you think another team might be willing to pay for Price’s services?  And would that be as a number 1 or as a backup?

355. punkster says:

This will bring down the hate upon my house but…there were suggestions months ago that both our goalies would be gone by the summer. I actually consider this idea to be realistic. Why? Because Price doesn’t want or need to idiocy this city brings to the game 24×7. As one of our beloved posters here has repeated for over a year, once Price’s indentured servitude is over in Montreal he’s a goner.Not that I’d want this to happen, mind you, but it is a very real possibility.

FREE TIMO!

356. novahab says:

He got rid of a cancer and freed up money and may get a draft choice I say he is the smartest guy in the room.

357. SlovakHab says:

Arpon Basu:

Well, Armstrong scores 15G, gets $3M per; Malhotra scores 14G, gets $2.5M per. So, does Kovalchuk get $40 million?

358. TripleX says:

Gomez scores 12 goals for 7.3 million.  Kovalchuk would get 100 million in Montreal.

359. TripleX says:

Biron was given the right to negotiate with any team right after the season ended.  His agent said he was in contact with Montreal a while ago.

360. Rugger says:

Sorry, never saw that report.  Didn’t realize that was legal to do under the CBA.

361. Storm Man says:

It’s not.

362. Storm Man says:

Read before you type next time. CBA rules that would be a good start for you.

363. TripleX says:

Are you ever right?  Just wondering.

@mikeyofarrell Biron apparently approached#Habs when he was given permission to speak to teams early by NYI. #Habs weren’t interested

via web in reply

I realize Mike posted these UFA/RFA lists a few days ago, but here they are again.  FYI.

365. adam76 says:

plus – you should see his wife.  Tanguay wins

366. BeachHabFan says:

chaumont says moore did not get a contract offer from habs. find that disappointing given the way he played and the energy he brought. guess they are going younger/cheaper and saving $ for goalies.

367. W35T5ID3 says:

trade hammrlik to the khl for anyone

368. Caper says:

Radek Bonk.

369. petrov14 says:

Oleg Petrov.

370. Bugs says:

Yammy Yagr.

371. W35T5ID3 says:

Moore’s gone,metro’s gone, ellis’s gone…..yup…..gone……

372. TripleX says:

Ellis to Tampa.  Yzerman is quickly building a good team.

373. Jeff says:

Oops a big O for SK, oh wait…. he was a big zero.

Wasn’t Lats a zero 2, this is truly Bugsy.

374. Rugger says:

Any numbers on the Tampa deal yet?

0:49 >> What is he, a matador? Ole! I know they’re saying that in Montreal. Hilarious!!!

376. HabFab says:

MONEY TALKS

- using nhlnumbers.com and substituting PK for MacPac  we have $8,168,000 Cap left

- still need at least 4 forwards and 2 goaltenders

- put in already signed Ellers ($1.271) and White ($.85) leaving $6,041,000

- leaves around $2 ml for Lapierre and Boyd

- Moore or Pacioretty ($.875) maybe substituted for one of the 4 forwards if money is right

- leaves $4 ml for Price and a veteran backup

- expect Price doesn’t get signed until others done

- this leaves ZERO for injury call ups unless the player is LTIR

377. Jbird says:

Alex Auld.

378. Bill H says:

Team 990 – just spoke with Moore’s agent…Canadiens don’t have cap space to make an offer “at this time”.

379. Caper says:

Which means once again Moore is over valuing himself. I think that Harvard degree is making his head swell too much. Too bad as I would love to have him back.

380. Mike from Ktown says:

wow I am going to vomit

381. Jeff says:

Alex Auld to the Habs?  Muahhhh!

382. slapshot777 says:

Well he will know his role. Not a bad goalie, I remember him having some decent games in Vancouver when Louongo was injured.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

383. slapshot777 says:

Saying Ellis may be close to signing with Philly. Don’t know where Philly comes up with the money.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

384. B says:

If nothing else, he will bump up the teams average size :)

385. gmd says:

He definately has size.  I have a feeling most people won’t like the deal, but I think he’ll be good for Price as a mentor.

386. sh00n says:

Ughhh. Auld is really bad. Hopefully he’s a better mentor than he is a player, because I hope he doesn’t touch the ice.

387. gmd says:

I like the choice of Auld.  Solid back up and a vetern who can hopefully guide Price.

388. showey47 says:

I didn’t realize he is 6’5″ and 220.

389. Jbird says:

Auld: the good thing is there will be know goalie controversy.  And Auld is not the worst goalie out there.

390. solsub says:

Alex Auld?

391. hablifting says:

Auld is trash, Price is unproven.  Ooooh, my head.

392. TripleX says:

Biron at 900,000 and Auld at 1,000,000.

HMMMMMMMMM……awesome deal PG.

STORM MAN IS DANCING IN THE STREETS.

393. avatar_58 says:

It’s like the same deal

394. slapshot777 says:

May be you might think that Biron didn’t want to come to Montreal. The money may not always be the only reason.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

395. Storm Man says:

Your rubbish is painfully boring.

396. Chorske says:

I am cool with this.

397. petrov14 says:

Too bad for Sergei thats not Nashvilles system either….

398. punkster says:

Another thing. I can’t believe the offer amounts some people think he would be worth. Up to $2.6M per. Just what has he shown that is worth $2.6 per? Of course if Lats can get $2.5 per then I suppose anything is possible. The entire system is broken if players like this can “command” that kind of scratch. I better make another cup of coffee before I start on a rant about fair market values.

FREE TIMO!

399. Chorske says:

haha. he’ll have to learn to ignore a whole new set of rules now, poor kid.

400. petrov14 says:

I hear the Florida Panthers are looking for fans, no loyalty req’d.

401. slapshot777 says:

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

402. JIMVINNY says:

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

403. ooder says:

pleaase let the door hit you on your way out, and hard

——————

88 is the new 23

404. JIMVINNY says:

Haha,  I like how you think.

405. Rugger says:

Why are you going to stop rooting for the Laffs because the Habs signed a back-up G?

406. punkster says:

And your Leafs are definately improving.

FREE TIMO!

407. N.B.habs fan says:

Have to agree wit you Ian,I think none of the player are worth what they get paid.

There will be a lot of NHL players in line at the unemployment office in a few days. They will be very upset at their agents for advising them that they are worth more than they are.

Greed will put them on the bread line in a hurry this year, and it is about time!!

409. smiler2729 says:

Like Dominic Moore, again…

410. Dee says:

I Couldn’t say it better myself Ian! Agree 100%.

Habs Fan 4 Ever & Ever Amen.

411. obrien says:

Is there any way to watch this online?  I don’t have TSN…

412. habs001 says:

hammer and gomez combined should have no more than 8.5 mill in  salary combined…they are the reason  we cannot add at least a decent player…

413. TripleX says:

From the Twitter account of Arpon Basu:

414. SeriousFan09 says:

Every French Canadian in the NHL with maybe a couple of exceptions always talks about wanting to play in MTL, than they go elsewhere because they aren’t actually interested and want more money or not having to play under the hometown lights.

415. Bugs says:

There once was a Predator goalie

Who was traded by Nahville’s Dave Poley.

Afore ‘leven five-nine,

He better well sign

Or I swear I start diggin a holey.

416. Malreg says:

TSNBobMcKenzie

Almost goes without saying, Dan Ellis is going to market. Negotiations with MTL never even got off the ground.

417. SlovakHab says:

I guess it’s time to unfollow @dellis39 :D

Pete – Show me the money!

419. habs4_25th says:

too bad we don’t have all sorts of money to use, as there is the salary cap. we have to sign cheaper players not high end players.

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be it yours to hold high.”

420. smiler2729 says:

Happy Canada Day – Let’s name a Captain! Ya can’t hoist a Cup without a captain!

Shopping needs:

- A defenceman, I’ve read Anton Volchenkov.

- A top6 winger to replace AKlazy46. I keep hearing Alex Frolov but I dunno about another enigmatic, frustrating Russian. Maybe there’s trade to get got.

- A backup goalie type, one that challenges Carey Price to great heights, Dan Ellis, Marty Turco, Patrick Lalime (there must have been a hell of reason that Ryan Miller thanked him last in his Vezina acceptance speech last week).

- And finally, Dominic Moore, sign him, he’s more valuable than a stat sheet shows.

Maybe by the first of the year, if someone shows that they can carry this responsibility properly by then.

422. danedmunds says:

what a canada day it would be if all your wishes came true!!!

423. Mikey_39 says:

I don’t want any other defenseman than Volchenkov.  If it’s not going to be him, I’d rather just give the guys in Hamilton a chance to step up.

424. N.B.habs fan says:

agree with you ,the AHL proves that………..

425. smiler2729 says:

Sometimes the cheaper ones play the hardest…

426. TripleX says:

In what universe is Auld equal in ability to Biron?

427. RGM says:

First.

Here’s hoping that the morning will include the signing of Carey Price. I would not want to see an offer sheet out there that forces the Habs’ hand salary cap-wise.

Scotty Bowman said it best: “Don’t trade Carey Price.”

428. G-Man says:

If he does receive an offer (all those drooling GMs, right?), my butt would be found on the floor because of my incessant laughter.

Happy Canada ( Canadiens ) Day!!

430. Storm Man says:

2 year deal nothing on money yet

431. danedmunds says:

man I hate the leafs. I hate to say it but they will be something to fear soon enough

432. smiler2729 says:

I despise ‘em too but Kris Versteeg is not someone to fear.

433. Rugger says:

Darn, only works in Canada!

434. HabFanSince72 says:

So in essence we traded the Minsk Magician for nothing.

435. Puck Bard says:

Pretty much.

436. RGM says:

In other words, we gave what we got.

Scotty Bowman said it best: “Don’t trade Carey Price.”

437. G-Man says:

HAPPY CANADA DAY!

It’s wait and wait day. I think watching Wimbledon and then looking in will do. Won’t be too much happening that’s interesting unless Price gets an offer from another team. There will be plenty of UFAs after today who will realize their true value on the market right now.

438. Habs_Juve says:

“Can TSN2 turn Ilya Kovalchuk into a five-hour television show?”

Probably not, because it’s not about the Laffs so they won’t care as much.

MD

439. Max_a_million says:

Burke can’t stand not being the center of attention, the leafs have a better shot at signing Kovalchuck then people think.

440. smiler2729 says:

I’ll chip in $10.

I’m hoping for some of these to come to fruition, that Gauthier manages to clear some space… sorry, Roman, love ya but the good of the many outweigh the good of the one.

Maybe he unloads his AK46 all over some unsuspecting fool GM out there (of course, we know that weapon is shooting blanks).

Maybe Donald Fehr beats up Harry Buttman in the next hour and the salary cap disappears.

Oh Steve, my main man, the possibilities are ENDLESS!

441. G-Man says:

It could be that Kov is looking for a contender with deep pockets- like Hossa. LA is not far from that status and has the cap room.

442. Max_a_million says:

Perhaps, but do you think Burke could talk him into thinking Toronto becomes a contender with him, Kessel, Versteeg, their much ballyhooed defense, and anyone else they might add?

443. G-Man says:

LA has Kopitar- that’s a big advantage when trying to sign Kov. They have the room and if they lock up Foster (very possible) they will be potent right away. Toronto has D and…nothing much, Versteeg included. Love the guy, but he’s a 3rd liner at best.

444. Max_a_million says:

I didn’t say it made sense, i asked don’t you think Burke could sell it?

445. G-Man says:

I don’t think he can. You can’t ignore the 800lb gorilla in the laffs dressing room called Idontscorealot. A player like Kov needs 2 scoring lines to be effective enough to be dangerous in the playoffs. The laffs can’t show him a couple prospects while nudging and winking.

KovyII still in play, not for the Habs though. Any chance moving Hammer to Anaheim? Sending AKost to LA?

447. SlovakHab says:

oyoyoye

Dan Ellis, two years, $1.5M per year. In Tampa of course. (Per Bob MacKenzie)

If this is true, then we got robbed. Ellis > Auld by a mile.

448. G-Man says:

He’d be a great addition, but without Hamrlik moving…

449. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

What the hell! Ellis signed for 1.5 M!