Can you imagine Steven Stamkos in a Habs sweater?

STU COWAN
MONTREAL GAZETTE

Here’s a Habs trivia question for you: Who was the last Canadiens player to finish in the top 10 in NHL scoring?

The answer: Mats Naslund, way back in 1985-86 when the 5-foot-7, 160-pound Swede posted 43-67-110 totals to finish eighth. The Edmonton Oilers’ Wayne Gretzky won the Art Ross Trophy that year with 52-163-215 totals.

The last time a Canadiens player won the Art Ross Trophy as the regular-season scoring leader was 1977-78, when Guy Lafleur won his third straight with 60-72-132 totals.

The Canadiens won the Stanley Cup in both of those seasons.

With that in mind — and with the Canadiens mired in a 1-6-0 slump during their last seven games while scoring only 11 goals — Habs fans might salivate at the thought of having Steven Stamkos in a bleu-blanc-rouge sweater.

TSN’s Bob McKenzie thinks it’s possible.

McKenzie, the highly-respected hockey analyst with more than 1.1 million Twitter followers, took part in TSN’s The Quiz panel Thursday night when one of the questions asked was: “What team would be the best fit for Stamkos?”

“Montreal Canadiens,” McKenzie answered.

“Some (salary) cap complications, yeah, for sure,” McKenzie added. “But P.K. Subban, Steven Stamkos, Carey Price, they could make it work. And he’s exactly what the doctor ordered for a Montreal team that needs to score some more goals.”

The 25-year-old Stamkos is off to a slow start this season with 11-11-22 totals in 32 games, ranking him 66th in the NHL scoring race through Thursday’s games. His 22 points would rank him third on the Canadiens’ scoring list behind Tomas Plekanec (7-20-27) and Max Pacioretty (14-12-26). But Stamkos knows how to put the puck in the net with 287 goals in 524 career games and has two Rocket Richard Trophies to his credit after scoring a league-leading 51 goals in 2009-10 and 60 in 2011-12. Stamkos had 43 goals last season while playing in all 82 regular-season games.

The Canadiens have really been struggling to score goals the last 11 games since Brendan Gallagher was sidelined with two fractured fingers. Pacioretty has only three goals during that span, while Plekanec has gone 17 games without scoring.

David Desharnais hasn’t scored in the last 11 games, while Lars Eller, Dale Weise and Tomas Fleischmann have one goal each during that time. Alex Galchenyuk has gone eight games without a goal, while Subban hasn’t scored in 24 games, dating back to Oct. 24 against Toronto, although he is tied for sixth in the NHL with 21 assists.

So as the Canadiens prepare to play their next eight games on the road — hoping to find their scoring touch along the way — fans can dream about what it would be like to have Stamkos in the lineup.

One thing that could work in the Canadiens’ favour is the relationship between Subban and Stamkos, who have been friends for a long time and grew up playing together. They were teammates on the North York Canadiens novice Triple-A team in the Toronto area and Subban was actually a centre on that squad made up of 9- and 10-year-olds.

Stamkos is in the final season of a five-year, $37.5-million contract — averaging $7.5 million a year — and can become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

If the Canadiens want him, he won’t come cheap.

(Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

• All signs point to Stamkos leaving Tampa, by Bob McKenzie of tsn.ca

• Habs would lose prized assets in any Stamkos deal, by Pat Hickey

Travel day for Canadiens

The Canadiens didn’t practise on Friday as they headed to Dallas, where they will face the Stars Saturday night (7 p.m., CITY, TVA Sports, TSN Radio 690).

The Habs will play their next eight games on the road with stops in Nashville next Monday and Minnesota on Tuesday before returning home for the Christmas break. They will then play in Washington on Dec. 26, Tampa on Dec. 28, Florida on Dec. 29, Boston on Jan. 1 (Winter Classic), and Philadelphia on Jan. 5 before returning to the Bell Centre to face the New Jersey Devils on Jan. 6.

Hudon returned to IceCaps

The Canadiens sent forward Charles Hudon back down to the AHL’s St. John’s IceCaps on Friday. In two games with the Canadiens, Hudon had two assists. In 24 games with the IceCaps, he had 10 goals and 10 assists.

For Bob McKenzie, one million Twitter followers is just a number

PUBLISHED ON MAY 11, 2015

STU COWAN
MONTREAL GAZETTE

Bob McKenzie still remembers the first time he heard about Twitter, the online social networking service that was created in 2006.

“I was watching CNN and one of the guys said, ‘you can tweet me at’ … and he gave his thing,” recalled McKenzie, the popular Hockey Insider for TSN. “And I was like tweet him? What the heck is he talking about?”

On July 8, 2009 — just after midnight — McKenzie typed his first-ever tweet of 140 characters or less.

“OK, this is the real Bob McKenzie, the TSN Hockey Insider,” he wrote. “Accept no substitutes. I don’t get the impersonating thing, to be honest.”

A lot of phoney accounts had started up on Twitter and McKenzie’s bosses at TSN told him that even if he didn’t want to tweet he should set up an account so that nobody else could use his name and pretend to be him.

“I wasn’t as skeptical as Red Fisher would have been,” McKenzie said with a laugh, referring to the legendary hockey writer who retired from the Montreal Gazette three years ago. “But I was probably like Twitter, what a stupid name that is. This will never go anywhere.”

Well, today Twitter is valued at more than $24 billion and McKenzie last week hit the one-million mark in followers. As of 1 p.m. Sunday, he had 1,001,972 people (and counting) reading his tweets.

“I don’t know if it means all that much, but I guess it’s something …. I don’t know,” McKenzie said Friday afternoon from his cottage on Balsam Lake in Ontario, where he had just gone for a swim to cool off during a rare break in his schedule.

People representing Twitter dropped by the TSN office Thursday night with balloons and a gift bag for McKenzie, “but otherwise it’s just business as usual,” he said.

“It’s just a number,” the modest McKenzie added. “Obviously, the more followers the better in terms of promoting stufffor TSN or whatever. The more eyeballs you can get your message to in media the better. But I’m not sure I attach any tremendous amount of significance to it other than getting old and being around for a while.”

While Twitter is generally considered a tool for a younger generation, the 58-year-old McKenzie has embraced it and become a star in the Twittersphere as the most followed media personality in Canada. However, he has a long way to go to catch popstar Justin Bieber, who leads all Canadians on Twitter with 63.4 million followers.

“I recognized pretty quickly that this is an invaluable tool, and not so much for disseminating information as acquiring information,” McKenzie said. “And what I realized is that this is a personalized news feed and that the more good people are on it the better.”

McKenzie has seen plenty of changes in the media business since getting his start covering junior hockey at the Sault Star in 1979 after graduating from Toronto’s Ryerson University. He then had a short stint at the Globe Mail while also writing for The Hockey News. In 1982, at age 25, he was named editor in chief of The Hockey News, a position he held for nine years before becoming a hockey columnist at the Toronto Star, where he stayed for seven years before going back to The Hockey News in 1998. He joined TSN full time in 2000.

McKenzie still remembers back in the 1970s when Dave Hodge, now with TSN, was “the envy of everybody in the media” because he had a deal with CFRB in Toronto that the radio station had to install The Canadian Press wire service in his house, giving him instant access to breaking news at all times.

“Now we all have that and it’s on our phone (with Twitter) and you can tailor it to whoever you want,” McKenzie said. “So if you want real-time updates on every practice or game in the National Hockey League you’ve got plenty of people who provide that. It’s incredible the amount of information that you can bring in-house quickly.”

McKenzie also remembers the days as editor in chief at The Hockey News when the only way for reporters to file their stories was either by mail or on a telecopier “at four minutes or six minutes per page.”

“Not many guys can remember that,” he added. “And then you had to get the stuffand physically input it (into a computer).”

Doing his hockey notebooks for the Toronto Star in the 1990s meant having to pick up the phone and call reporters in other cities or people associated with different teams to get information.

“Now everything’s texting, email and Twitter,” he said.

You would expect Twitter trolls to be a problem for someone with one million followers, but McKenzie says that 98 per cent of the people who tweet him are “really good and respectful” and as for the other 2 per cent “I’ve finally learned the value of just letting it go and paying no attention to them.”

The hockey season can be very long for McKenzie, who basically works seven days a week for 10 months, and Twitter has made it a 24/7 shift.

“With Twitter, the news cycle never sleeps so you got to stay on top of things,” he said.

“So that’s why we look forward to July 2, the day after free-agent day. That’s when I go on vacation and take July and August offand recharge the battery.”

While more than one million hockey fans wait for his next tweet.

1. dgab says:

I’ve had some thoughts on Stamkos, Johansen, Kessel?… Don’t want any of them. I think the guy to strive for is a guy like Valeri Nichushkin. Dallas just went public about the fact they’re looking to deal him for a defenseman…. I wonder who it would take to make this happen, he would be very exciting play to have. True, we probably need a veteran, but how can you pass him up?

2. Verduner says:

I couldn’t imagine him here, cause if he (let’s say) only had 11 goals at this point of the year. It would be MT’s fault.

3. habsfor25 says:

You know what would be cool? If we got stamkos and McCarron turns out to be a player like Malkin. We can have ourselves a Pittsburg penguins team in their prime just with better goaltending. It may just be wishful thinking but hey, I need some exciting expectations in these gloomy habs days

4. Arnou Ruelle says:

Weighing on this topic for some time now, I’m seeing Stamkos’ reaction regarding his disgruntled time in Tampa Bay, maybe a sense of nostalgia that he’s now coming back to Canada with any of the 2 Original Six teams. Or, what Stamkos feels is now irritated by how the media is pressing this hype, especially in Toronto.

Here’s the thing: If Steven Stamkos really wants to get out of Tampa Bay, then he’ll likely come in a form of a trade. To who? The Leafs are ‘salivating’ to get Stamkos. But, as Bob Mckenzie points out, the practical route for him to get to a Stanley Cup is here in Montreal.

I don’t know about Marc Bergevin, but if him and Steve Yzerman were to talk right now, I’d guess that this will be a major blockbuster deal. If Bergevin wants to, he can trade: 3-4 first round draft picks + a marquee player (maybe Eller, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, or Subban). Since people want Stamkos, I think its fair to see the risks involve in this hypothetical scenario.

If Stammer decides to finish the season, he now has the option of going to another team and I’m sure his value will come up to an $11-12 million/yr, 8 year contract.

Fair enough. Since the cap is projected up to $74 million next year, the Habs can get some flexibility to make room for Stamkos if does want to leave the Lightning team.

• Arnou Ruelle says:

For the record: I don’t like Stamkos to come here. He’s a perfect fit with our team. But he’s just too expensive IMO.

• D Mex says:

Salary to end of season would be costly but manageable,
        Assets required to go to TBL – this is the unknown piece.

Looking to 2016-17, the salary piece would be big, and other contracts would have to be moved out. Plus, having his pal PK here would mean nothing when one considers the discount he took to stay here.

ALWAYS Habs –
        D Mex

• Habfan17 says:

Wow, a Norris trophy winner, and 3 or 4 first round picks, really?

Habfan17

5. rabidhab says:

Glad to hear about McCarrons call up . I hope he plays against Dallas and see how he performs.

6. Gazza Strip says:

I remember that most people around here were okay about the Habs giving up a second round pick to get Vanek a couple of years ago. I’d do that sort of thing and throw in any prospect except Big Mac. If we could negotiate a contract with Stamkos I’d sweeten the deal with another high pick or player. 1993 is a long way in our rear view mirror. I’m 53 and ready to celebrate another cup.

7. GrimJim says:

That was weird. I went to the canadiens.com news page and the top headline was McCarron called up, clicked the link and got and error message, cycled back to the news page and the McCarron headline was gone.
    EDIT the time on the headline before it disappeared was 5:05pm btw

8. The Jackal says:

I’d love it if the Habs got Stamkos.

There’s certainly a chance that he comes here, and he’s holding all the cards. Stevie Y basically has no say in this unless Stamkos agrees to some kind of sign and trade deal or something like that.

I think he wants to win a cup and thus Toronto is not gonna be his landing spot. That’s just media hype. Montreal is the best place for him from an objective point of view and it does help that he’s friends with PK. Even if MB got him as a rental and risked not being able to sign him at season’s end I’d still be down for that. Stamkos would make this team the best in the league.

RJo is another player who would really put the team over the top, but of course he’s no Stamkos and is still developing. He may not be 100% the character player that MB expects his best players to be. Still, his relationship with Torts looks acrimonious and he may just want out. He’d be another good grab for this team.

I thought Kopitar would be another candidate since he is UFA and the Kings got off to a really bad start, but they look really strong now and can push for a cup if they stay healthy and consistent. Kopitar is probably staying in LA.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

9. fastfreddy says:

If Big Mac is not ready, does MB pull a trade soon? I would venture he will look for top 6 scorer, then who leaves the team?

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

10. Habfan17 says:

With McCarron being called up, who sits? I would sit DD!

Habfan17

11. fastfreddy says:

Love the fact that Mc Carron is up, just hope they don’t rush him in and expect too much from him! But I hope he lights it up!

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

12. crane says:

Would Tinordi and a first round pick get JVR

13. Forum Dog says:

If we’re talking fit and the ability to compete for a Stanley Cup then, yeah, I’d agree with Mackenzie that MTL makes sense.

But I don’t think that is what we are talking about here. I think we are talking about a guy who wants to play in his hometown and try and help them get back to being a competitive team. So MTL would be a short stopover that would cost way more to the team than it was worth. Yeah, he might help them win a Cup. But he might just as easily not, and then they’d be out the cost of freight with nothing to show for it.

If possible they need to move one of Plekanec/Deharnais/Eller for a legit top-six winger. Outside of Pacioretty, they do not have a true 1st line forward on the team. Galchenyuk will be at some point, but they have dragged his development out for so long now that I think his offensive instincts have been dulled. Gallagher is a great compliment on the 1st line, but is injured for a while yet. Plekanec, Desharnais (and to a lesser degree Eller and Fleischmann) are 2nd line at best, and everyone else – meaning the bulk of their roster – is bottom six material.

Having Byron, Weise, Mitchell and/or Flynn play elevated minutes (including Weise on the PP for Christ’s sake) means < 3 goals/game.

• Know et al says:

If Galchenyuk isn’t a number one centre (and I agree he’s not, yet) and you trade away Plecks, who you maintain is a second line centre, to acquire a top six winger, who plays centre on the first line? Eller? Deharnais?

• Forum Dog says:

Desharnais probably. Or maybe Galchenyuk. Though I’m not saying it is Plekanec they’d have to deal. I’m basically saying that they might need to consider sacrificing some of their centre “depth” to get an upgrade on the wing.

Personally I don’t think the drop-off from Plekanec to Galchenyuk, or Galchenyuk to Desharnais, or Desharnais to Eller is greater than the current drop-off from Pacioretty to Fleischmann or Eller, or Gallagher to Weise, Byron or Andrighetto.

Centres are usually playmakers or puck distributors and wingers are finishers. Right now there is a real dearth of finishers in MTL…..

• piper says:

I’m all for giving Kassian a shot as a top line winger before we sell the farm to get one. I don’t think Plek, Eller or DD would entice a team to give up a scoring winger.

• Forum Dog says:

Probably not on their own, but if you package one of those guys with a prospect and defencemen, you might get something decent. I’m not sure what that is exactly, but I’m sure there are players available that we aren’t thinking about.

• piper says:

Hartnell?

• docketrocket says:

I love Eller and respect Plex. I agree that one of them probably has to go (along with more) to get a top scorer. I agree the drop off is not that great. Then too is the possibility of trading Chucky. I’d like to see him back on the wing for a bit before deciding. He is not flourishing as a center now, although maybe he will one day.

14. Ghosts of the Forum says:

It would be incredible if he chose Montreal over Toronto, just to listen to the call in shows, haha.

Yzerman obviously wouldn’t want him in the division, or the conference likely, but he has no say, so…

Anyway, back within the realm of actual possibility, I’d keep my eye on the Canucks. They’re freefalling, and have a few UFAs coming up.

Hamhuis and Vrbata among them, both of who would be interesting to look at.

15. Texus says:

I can certainly imagine it, and it looks glorious! I would not want him at the deadline though, but rather wait for the summer to get him (assuming he would really want to play here). That way he becomes part of our core without giving anything away.

It wouldn’t be easy cap wise, Weise would probably be gone and an expensive contract would likely have to be traded away (I think Emelin’s no-trade clause expires after this season…). Much as I hate to say it, Markov may even have to be sacrificed in that scenario… Eller’s another possibility but I think it would be wise to try to maintain the depth at forward. But the core in my mind would then be Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Stamkos, Subban, Petry, Beaulieu, Price. I believe you can win a Cup with that. Of course they would need to be surrounded by good value guys (a la Flash) and our young players coming up, but MB has already proven very adept at filling out the roster with good depth players and there are many promising youngsters in St John’s. I really hope Bobby Mac is right on this one 😀

• Habfan17 says:

I would think if they signed Stamkos, then it would be Pleks and Emelin traded to make cap space. Perhaps even DD. That would leave Stamkos, Galchenyuk, Eller, and Mithcell at centre. Maybe McCarron or DLR.

Habfan17

16. crane says:

KnowinG M.T. McCarron likely be the 13 player for a week.

17. CHicoHab says:

Source is the Canadien App on my iPhone. Says just hours after Hudon sent down that McCarron will join the team in Dallas.

18. CHicoHab says:

McCarron called up. On his way to Dallas.

19. piper says:

A signed Stamkos would be worth mortgaging the future, but unsigned, no way. All the talk says he want’s to play in Toronto, which I believe is true.

20. Say Ash says:

Everyone focuses on Stamkos, MB swoops in and gets Johansen for nothing.

• Timo says:

… who then promptly joins Tiny in the press box for the rest of the season. I mean, who is he going to displace… Mitchell? In you dreams, buddy.

• Habfan17 says:

I am not sure which player I would want. Johansen may be a bit of a “me” player. Going back to his contract negotiations and the potential of not getting along with the coach. Stamkos may be the better option, especially since he could walk and MB might get him without giving up anything.

Habfan17

• 24 Cups says:

Stamkos is a better player than Johansen.

145/74/26

• truebeliever says:

Agreed, but Stamkos is also a $10M player and Johansen is a $6M. So, really, it comes down to whether you think you’re better off with a $10M and $1M to spend on another player, or $6M and $5 for another.

Sam Pollack always insisted on getting the best player in a transaction. Stamkos would be the best player and would likely enjoy the pressure of playing in Montreal. Jury is still out on Johansen, though he’d be the first big-bodied centreman we’ve had since Bobby Smith. And he might thrive once out of a bad situation in Columbus (and Torts is a bad situation wherever he goes).

21. --Habs-- says:

And beyond making an offer next summer if you want him now who do you offer?

“Habs” Watch and learn….! Or Not!

22. The Gumper says:

It pretty much looks like Stamkos is intent on screwing the Bolts as best he can. From the outside looking in, it appears that there was an ongoing power struggle between Cooper and Stamkos and Stevie Y has firmly and rightly put his support behind Cooper.
    Now that Stamkos has a big lip on it looks as though he is intent on screwing Yzerman and the Bolts to the best of his ability. Maybe this is why they continue to underperform. Using his NTC he can effectively neuter Yzerman’s ability to work a deal and dramatically reduce the expected return as it plays out and gets closer to the trade deadline. He seems to have placed the gun to Stevie’s head and there doesn’t seem to be much that Yzerman can do about it.
    It wouldn’t surprise me to see this dynamic play on for some time so as to solidify his parting eff you to Yzerman, go to one of the leading contenders for the Cup as a rental and then let the bidding begin on July 1st. Stamkos has little to lose and everything to gain.
    If we can get our poop back together when Carey returns we may be able to pick him up for a pail of pucks and not have to mortgage our future which an imminent deal would almost certainly entail.
    I’d wait…

———————————————————————————————————-
    When the boogeyman goes to bed at night, he checks under his bed for Chuck Norris. When Chuck Norris goes to bed at night, he checks under his bed for James Harrison.

• trade_centre says:

Although technically you tighten bolts, if Stamkos wants to screw them, good for him.

And good for Bobby Mac for putting out the meme that the Canadiens are a good fit for Stamkos.

Always liked that guy.

• The Gumper says:

Technically, you tighten the nuts…

———————————————————————————————————-

• Grabbed The Cup says:

My nuts are getting tightened thinking about what we’d lose to get him here.

______________________________________________________
          You leave me little notes on my pillow. Told you 158 times I can’t stand little notes on my pillow. “We’re all out of cornflakes. F.U.” Took me three hours to figure out F.U. was Felix Unger!

• The Gumper says:

That’s precisely my point GTC. Rentals do not command much on the open market, especially as the trade deadline nears.
            Ideally, we could pick him up on that basis and thus not have to mortgage much of our future. We get our Cup, he gets his ring and not to mention increased bargaining power so as to more effectively fleece the Leafs into giving him the long term country club deal that he wants.
            We get our Cup, the Laffs effectively pay for it and everything is right with the world. Easy…

———————————————————————————————————-

23. cautiousoptimist says:

Let’s play along, just for the fun of it. Assuming Pacioretty, Subban, Galchenyuk, Price and Petry are out of play for various reasons, what would it take to land him? My guess: something in the ballpark of: Beaulieu, McCarron, Eller, and a 1st — maybe more. And that’s for a guy who could walk for free in a few months.

Is that really worth the cost? If we were certain we could re-sign him it might not be crazy, but even then, how do you fit another $9-10M under the cap for 8 years (or something comparable)? Next summer, we’d have something like $12M to improve the team with, and almost all of it would be spent on one guy.

If we’re going to go after him, I’d much prefer we sign him as a UFA — we still have the ridiculous cap hit, but at least we wouldn’t be mortgaging our future for a few months of seeing him in a red sweater. And my $0.02: we’d benefit more from two good-to-elite $5M scorers than from one generational $10M one.

“Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.” -Jacques Lemaire

• D Mex says:

The only way a trade scenario works is that Bergevin asks for / obtains permission to chat with him / his agent in advance to explore the impending contract situation.
      In order to secure that permission, MB undertakes that (take-your-pick roster player) will, for sure, be part of any trade.
      My take …

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• cautiousoptimist says:

Yup, I agree — and even then, I’m not sure there’s a deal there to be done.

• Habfan17 says:

As D-Mex pointed out, Bergevin and Yzerman would work out the trade and then it would be contingent on being able to negotiate a long term deal with Stamkos. If hat worked, then we would see the trade announced. No team will part with that many assets for a rental.

If Bergevin decided to trade, rather than wait and try to sign Stamkos as a UFA, I would be surprised. It would go against his plan and stated philosophy and would undo all the work he has done to restock the cupboard.

I see MB waiting and if Stamkos goes the UFA route, then reaching out. The to clear room, MB could trade 1 or 2 players for prospects and picks.

I do remember reading last year, that Stamkos preferred staying at centre. He is listed as a centre, but he was being used on the wing.
      Not sure if that is still the case. I think that is where things got “tense” between him and the coach.

If and only if it came to the trade Deadline, I would be okay with MB trading Tinordi for Yzerman and taking the risk of having to sign him. If he signs an extension with the Habs, then send first round pick in 2017 and Reway. It is better than Tampa will get if he walks as a UFA!

Habfan17

• cautiousoptimist says:

If we can pick up Stamkos at the deadline for Tinordi and conditional pieces, I’ll be thrilled, but I think other teams might offer a lot more. And I think I’m okay with letting other GMs duke it out for him — maybe the Habs really are just one Steven Stamkos away from a Cup run, but the cost of finding out could be crushing….

• Habfan17 says:

Yes, I am sure some GM’s would empty their pockets so to speak.
          Maybe Therrien should take a page from Winnipeg’s play book and play Tinordi at left wing. The Habs have done this before with Diaz and Streit.

Habfan17

24. crane says:

To win the cup we need Stamkos plus Simmonds plus Ladd.This team of cream puffs need about three good players to win.Patches,D.D.,Pleck,Markov will just disappear again as usual in tough going.

25. krob1000 says:

Huge Pacioretty hit I have never seen!!

I can’t. While this is a grinding team there is no room for someone like Stamkos. Did he play in Europe? Is he shorter than 5’9″? In the end, how are we even supposed to pronounce his name?

Too many questions, imho. Not a good fit.

27. HNS says:

It’s only money…..

28. Kooch7800 says:

If the habs really wanted him he could be had. We are short an elite centre and that has been this teams problem for years. Stamkos would solve a lot of issues.

Where it gets tricky is he is a Ufa at the end of the season so that limits what you give up. You don’t trade a galchenyuk, for example,for a rental unless you know you can sign him long term.

• Un Canadien errant says:

If it really does rankle him that he has to play wing and not centre for Tampa, if it’s his goal to be the #1 centre on a contending team, we can certainly offer that, there is no other, better solution on our roster or our system that we’d turn to. There is little risk that we’d shunt him over to the wing.

So in that regard, the Canadiens are a viable option, as unlikely as it is that he’ll land here eventually.

• Kooch7800 says:

I don’t know if it is really that far of a stretch though. The habs have a lot of the ingredients to go for a cup but the missing link is the number 1 centre. Stamkos would like to be closer to home and Montreal is a short flight to Toronto. If you look at DD, pleks and Chucky in their last 10 games it highlights our issue. Pleks is a number 2 centre.

If I were MB I would be all over Stevie Y like fly to poop. He is exactly what we are missing (other than some more toughness on D which we have in the pressbox).

29. Un Canadien errant says:

twi, in the preceding post, injuriously, slanderously assailed my P.K.-fan bona fides. While I’m having my solicitors look into this, I thought I’d go on the offensive and state my case, if only to inflate the monetary final settlement.

***Re-posted from September***

I’ve been accused recently of being in the “PK booster club”, which is funny since I’ve been more critical of P.K. than the norm for a Canadiens fan. I at one point wanted to package him and Andrei Kostitsyn to try to pry Shea Weber out of Nashville.

I’ve been called on the carpet by HockeyInsideOut regulars over my critiques, that I’m too harsh on him, and some members even claim that I ‘hate’ him.

I spent some time this summer re-watching the 2013-14 season 24CH, and one thing I came away with is that, while P.K. doesn’t have the personality we equate with a captain usually, he’s no Bob Gainey or Jonathan Toews or Steve Yzerman, he’s definitely a leader on the team, off the ice as well. He’s a rabble-rouser, a chatter instigator, a willing foil for pranks, but he is a big presence on the team. It does take all kinds to make up a team, and P.K. plays an important role, that a Brian Gionta, for example, couldn’t and shouldn’t undertake.

Another facet which struck me is how money he is. So many episodes recapped how, when the game was on the line, P.K. made the big play, scored the big goal. In real time, I applauded but took it for granted, since he’s on the PP and offensively-gifted. Of course he’ll score the goal, right? If not he who will? But watching 24CH in that concentrated manner, you’re struck by P.K.’s late-game, big-game heroics. And I’d mentally soft-pedaled these.

So my resolution for this season is to, taking Hal Gill’s injunction to heart, “let P.K. be P.K.” I’m not going to try to hold him to the standard of Raymond Bourque or Chris Chelios, I’m going to allow him to be himself, with all his glory and his little foibles. That I’m not going to list here, because that’s not what I’m about any longer. I’m celebrating P.K., not trying to improve him. Anymore. I’m not ruing the contract, the perceived lack of the ‘hometown discount’ that I thought a team player should give, never mind Don Meehan’s advice.

And I want to be clear, I’d arrived at this resolution before yesterday’s announcement of his incredibly generous and meaningful gesture towards Montréal and the province of Québec and Canadian families. This came as a cherry on the sundae. It only strengthens my resolve.

Dustin Tokarski though, if he botches a save or two, I have a feeling he might become my whipping boy, my spiritual scratching post.

———————————————————————–
    Dean Spanos, partnering with the Raiders, robbing me of my team.

30. NoTinFoilCups says:

Is he still good buddies with Pay Kah?