Can Canadiens turn it around?

5577488

Your Montreal Canadiens haven’t won since Winnipeg.

But the team played well in their two most recent losses.
And they may be bolstered by the return of Mike Cammalleri.

We’re grasping at straws here, eh?

Cammalleri to play?

Dave Stubbs: History shows team will rebound

Boone: Draft build Cup contenders

Yvon Pedneault on the rough start

Marc Antoine Godin: Where is Gomez 2.0?

Bulldogs recap

1. The_Franchise31 says:

I feel bad for Pierre houde. He sounds like he’s falling alsleep. This game is putting me alsleep… Yawn

2. Cardiac says:

I had to sign in today just to say HABSGUARDIANANGEL’s rant about curses, jokers, religion and fan support is BY FAR the best post I’ve ever read on any sports blog or message board. If it wasn’t so long, I’d put it in my signature forever and ever.

– Jerry Maguire

• Chorske says:

That guy is NO JOKE, so you need to TAKE IT EASY! There are already TOO MANY JOKERS and NOT ENOUGH MEN on this site!!!

Read it again, but out loud, preferably using the same voice as the I. AM. CANADIAN. ads on TV. It’s classic. AMAZINGNESS.

• SPATS says:

Just searched it out to see what all the fuss was about and now that I’ve read it (it’s down the page a bit) I have to agree. PK is playing fearful and those fears were put there last year by Gomer when he dissed him for portraying an Archer after scoring in OT. He’s become the poison it seems. In another post I recommended putting him on the 4th line with Moen and Darche. Take him off the PP and put him on the PK. I also suggested we ignore the 800 lb gorilla that is his Caphit. I feel all are legit things to try before we ship him off to Hammytown. I didn’t consider that he’s a potential cancer to our youth. Until you got me thinking.
        OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

3. moester says:

Fact of the matter is that the Habs need to make a move on the bottom 6 in order to lift the team up a bit. Palishai may be the next Max Pacioretti but he still needs tons of seasoning and to play lots of minutes. It is unfortunate that Betts wasn’t healthy because he could have brought a lot to the team. We need to find a similar player that can kill penalties and make the 4th line difficult to play against as opposed to difficult to employ.

4. nunacanadien says:

I see Jacques Martin hasn’t made Gomez work for his millions, neither has the guy who signs Gomez’s cheques wonder, what has this fellow done to earn all that money?

• mongoose says:

Im just as baffled as you are.There comes a time when you just have to do what is best for the Team,Gomez has to go bottom line.

Toronto Maple leaf fans and ignorance walk hand in hand in the land of stupidity

5. youngwun says:

We will win tonight. Habs always play well vs pens and were away so no pressure.

6. Mattyleg says:

So, Habsolutely declined to help a fellow Hab fan in need, so I’ll put the question out for everyone else.
    Does anyone know how to post a hyperlink on here? As in, text is red, but clickable to a link, rather than posting the link? Used to be soooo easy on the old site.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

7. Chorske says:

Boo to the powers at HIO, who fed the trolls with today’s poll question. Really. Has Gomez been the worst part of the preseason / early season? Really? Is it worth feeding the trolls like this? Given the fact that Gomez has yet to have a bad game this year- and certainly hasn’t been as disappointing as ANYONE on D- you could have come up with a smarter, more pertinent question. Such as, if Cammy comes back, who should be the healthy scratch? (I would not have sat Palushaj).

• el heffe says:

it’s only trolling if you’re a leaf’s fan. this is an established fact of trollometry.

Charge it to the Underhill’s.

• rogieshan says:

The only two logical choices to sit are Palushaj and Enqvist. And since Palushaj is a winger like Cammalleri and was specifically recalled to take the latter’s spot on the roster, there really isn’t a question there to be asked.

As for Gomez, I understand the frustration of you and many who are tired of hearing the same complaints but I do feel it’s pertinent to question his status given the length of his goal-scoring drought and that he’s now been relegated to a third-line role.

• nunacanadien says:

We still have to wait to see if Gomez will produce with Campoli back, or for that matter with Markov. Having said that, I wonder if the attempt to sign Blair Betts was an attempt to get Gionta and Gomez jump started.

• NightRyder says:

Gomez has yet to have a bad game yet this year?
      Five games, one point; -3 in four non-victories?
      Don’t set the bar too low or anything.

Never mind Gomez, I am tired of this single complaint over and over again, when there are dozens of cracks to be repaired and practiced.

Trade Martin, whose time has past. He has done his thing, putting this train wrecked club back on the tracks over two years ago, and can do no more.

Good for him, but now it is time to hire an engineer to start driving this train to the next station with some sense of urgency, fire and direction.

We have fantastic talent on this club. That needs to be guided and set up on permanent lines, PK & PP and defensive pairings to build steady chemistry and confidence.

9. el heffe says:

Some mornings i like to scoot on over to TSN.ca to read some of the more eloquent and thought provoking comments left by Leafs fans concerning our team. It’s a sort of self-deprecating stroll through the vast uncommon wasteland of Leafdom that i’m after. I strongly recommend it to anyone looking for a change from the constraints of day to day rational thought. It’s like taking a handful of pills at a party you weren’t invited to but somehow transcendence just felt like the thing to do.

Charge it to the Underhill’s.

10. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

Trade Spacek!

11. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

so the vote has it.. 35% stick with Gomez

and 65% dont want to stick with Gomez

12. j2w4habs25 says:

Q: Scott Gomez, who is earning $7.5 million this season, has now gone 44 games, including the playoffs, without scoring a goal. What do you think the Canadiens should do with him?

I voted to send him down to Hamiton maybe he will lead better down there… Maybe GP and JM should considder sending him down there for a few games due to his very POOR proformence.. I am starting to dislike the guy… He has done NOTHING – I hope the Fans start booing to let him to know start doing something. GRRRRRRRRRRR! thanks for noticing HABS INSIDE OUT.

Carey Price #31

13. HABZ24 says:

sit gomez pile down tell him were giving you five games to get it going or ur goin on waivers or to the farm, he’ll pick it up

GO HABS GO

14. HABZ24 says:

habs have been playing hard but comming up empty pt wise. pens are playing 3rd game in 4 nights, orpik, crosby, malkin,letang out. habs will win tonight !!

GO HABS GO

15. Jordio-oh says:

I find the panic button mentality of some fans on here and the intense focus in the media about how badly the Habs are struggling quite amusing.

Hockey is a game of ups and downs. Winning streaks and losing streaks. We’ve got 3 points in 5 games. Last season from Dec 10-19 we registered just 2 points in 5 games, followed by another set of 2 points in 5 games from Dec 21-30.

4 points in 10 games. Yes, many people were nervous then but the beautiful thing about this game is that teams turn it around. In fact, the habs went 10-2-3 in their next 15 games after that horrible December slump. And immediately after that we went 2-5-2.

From March 22-30 we only got 2 points in 5 games, including getting shutout 3 times in a row (!!!). And then we finished 3-0-1 to finish the season.

My point: Streaks happen. Don’t get too low when you’re losing, don’t get too high when you’re winning. So simple.

Its hilarious for me to watch grown men overreact as much as some of you do. Unbelievable.

If the Habs finish October with 6 or less points, then we can really start to worry. Until that possibility becomes a reality, relax.

• Malreg says:

Forget post of the day, this is a post of the year candidate!

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

you see brother, its get repititve watching this team screw up! and thie biggest one started with the man in your picture right there, who forever cursed this orignaztion. pick who fault, but right there and since then… we havnt won JACK shit.

I can tell alot of these players are jokers, especially Gomez, and its influencing our youth on the team! Price, Subban, Georges are joining in the the CARE FREE attitude! WE need serious MEN who play with all they got on the line! Those are winners, look at any top player you like, and he should have those attirubutes.

SO go ahead, follow another season of this crap, or dont start spreading the word. We actually do influence what happens trust me! and if we sit back and be docile, well you can sit and watch us loose, but we need to make these players understand something! this is montreal and this is our religion, we loose the city feels like shit, we win and everyone is on a high, do you know what a stanley cup would do for you? us ? the city? this is no joke, take it easy! its 5 games! this is an aatitude adjustment that needs to come in, and soon enough, you will see these changes, because fans who stand up for this team wont just sit back and breathe. We fight, we take action, we are one, we are the canadiens de montreal!!

Trade Spacek!

• Chorske says:

this is no joke, take it easy!

This post is GOLD! Pure unalloyed golden poo.

So which is it? Is it no joke, or should we take it easy?

This post. Is. Amazing.

• savethepuck says:

Where should I start?
        Paragraph 1. We haven’t won Jack shit since Patrick cursed this organization and we wouldn’t of won Jack shit without him in the 80’s or 90’s.
        Paragraph 2. Unless you have a seat in the dressing room I’m unaware of, I don’t think any fan can have a clue who does or doesn’t take the game serious. From what I understand, they all do.
        Paragraph 3. Take a little advice that Bob Gainey gave to the fans that were booing Brisebois, it doesn’t help the team at all. Do some research and show me 1 team in the NHL last year that didn’t have any slumps.
        The only bad thing about being a Habs fan, is that fans of other teams associate you with the unrealistic, never satisfied, booing their own players, Habs fans.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• savethepuck says:

Can’t disagree with a single thing you said ( typed). I find myself laughing a lot too when a lot of posters on here are all doom and gloom. Sometimes it’s not even on a losing streak. I’ve seen the season be over because of the results of 1 single game. Every season on here is a roller coaster ride.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Tony McLean says:

Jordy, older fans have higher expectations than taking a run at eighth place. When I was a kid the Canadiens contended every single year and literally won the Stanley Cup every second year. Now it’s 18 years since the last championship. That’s not an enviable streak. If you’re happy with that, better join Leafs Nation.

• Jordio-oh says:

That’s the whole problem. You’ve been spoiled for years during a time when there were less teams in the league (ie. better chance to win the cup) and during a time when the Habs had a collection (quantity and quality) of talent that just does not exist on single teams anymore.

Older fans should not carry the same expectations as they did in the 60’s and 70’s. The league is completely different.

Of course I’m not happy, but I’m of a stable enough mind to know that only 1 of 30 teams can win each year. Find the positives and enjoy life a little more. At least it’s not 2000-01.

• Chorske says:

If you’re happy with that, better join Leafs Nation.

Oh piss on that. No-one is “happy” with an 18 year drought. We all want to win the Cup- but so do 29 other teams and their fans. The rules have changed, times have changed. But telling another poster to go cheer for the Leafs simply because they are living in the present is crappy.

16. Say Ash says:

TSN 990 saying this would be the perfect game for Crosby to ease his way back into playing. Man, I’m tired of us being that team.

17. Propwash says:

If the Habs keep playing like they did against Beefalo, I think the Pens won’t stand a chance.
    Price vs. Fleury is always a fun matchup as well.

_____________________
    Dooooooooooooooomed!™

18. The Dude says:

The Pens Neal is so good and what a trade !WHy the hell can’ t we get player like him?

19. SeriousFan09 says:

From Hamilton Bulldogs Play by Play man Derek Wills (Also known as the guy who calls a goal like a Mexican soccer announcer), Louis Leblanc is expected to have his first AHL game a week from today.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

20. shiram says:

renhockey Renaud P Lavoie
    #canadiens Mike Cammalleri joue ce soir. Will play tonight.

Also, Orpik and Neal are playing for the Guins, Malkin not at practice, but Crosby is.
    Fleury in nets.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• GrimJim says:

Please don’t call them the Guins, it’s too close to the Gruins. I started out thinking “Wow Shiram usually doesn’t make mistakes like getting the opponent wrong on game day,” then I realized my 50 year old eyes were the culprit…

• shiram says:

I find Guins amusing as it reminds me of french gouine.
        I,ll try to refrain from it, but what name should I call them instead?

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• GrimJim says:

I apologize then, because I didn’t get the clever play-on-words that you were creating. I think the best answer is for you to change not a bit and for me to read more carefully…

Unfortunately I am not bi-lingual, but on 98.5 today there is some audio of Tremblay and others talking about Chris Neil from Ottawa. Is this a rumour they are trying to start? Haven’t heard, just heard about it.

• Bripro says:

They’re discussing the plight of the Senators.
      The fact that Alfredson’s priority was his health.
      They’re orienting their team toward the youth movement, and Ron questioned “why not bring Neil” to Montreal.
      It was just speculation. But they both agree that JM loves the guy.

• habsfan reduxit says:

… I hate to jump on the ‘dump the coach’ bandwagon; I like JM and I appreciate the value of a good defensive system. But when I recall those past years when the Senators were a good team, and he was their coach, all I recall is that they could never finish once they got to the playoffs.

… I have to ask myself: will I be happy if Jacques takes the Habs all the way to the final round, and they lose? No, I won’t.

… here’s Ottawa’s record from back then:

1995–96 6th in Northeast Missed Playoffs
        1996–97 3rd in Northeast Lost in First round
        1997–98 5th in Northeast Lost in Second round
        1998–99 1st in Northeast Lost in First round
        1999–00 2nd in Northeast Lost in First round
        2000–01 1st in Northeast Lost in First round
        2001–02 3rd in Northeast Lost in Second round
        2002–03 1st in Northeast Lost in Conf. Finals
        2003–04 3rd in Northeast Lost in First round

“Whenever you have the puck, and don’t know what to do with it, put it in the net.” – Toe Blake

22. Bripro says:

Renaud Lavoie reports that both Cammy and Spacek are practicing this morning.
    The Pens are missing Crosby, Malkin, Kennedy and Letang.
    I would say it’s the perfect time to play them.

23. Neutral says:

the only difference between the leafs and the Habs right now

the leafs are playing better offensively and defensively. if the Habs ever get it going they’ll overtake them in the standings. lot of if’s with the habs.

24. J_P says:

“Can they turn it around?”

This is all big joke. Sure, there are some concerns with the squad right now, but its FIVE GAMES into the season. 5 out of 82 games. Do early season points count? Absolutely, but there’s no reason to be panicking this early in the season.

If the habs can keep playing the way they played against Buffalo, they’re going to win a lot of games this season.

25. Bripro says:

One post : The world ends tomorrow (thanks for that HB – tongue in cheek)
    Gomez is crap, no good, yada yada yada
    Cole is a disappointment, yada yada yada
    You guys are so uplifting.
    Now I have to go see my therapist.

I predicted 4 points out of 6 before the game against the Sabres, so no worries, they’ll win in Pittsburg, and beat the Laffs (I think that’ll be their first road game).

26. The Dude says:

Here’s a prediction for you…If our HAbs get blown out tonite”Hockey Gods forbid ” good-bye Martin!

27. Neutral says:

The problem I see with the Habs right today.

up front they have Eller, Cammy, Plekanec, Cole, Pacioretty, Desharnais, and Kostitsyn the rest is dead wood.

The Defence is in rebuild mode not much we can say about them

until the deadwood is replaced with better players, not new faces the Habs will be a mediocre team. I’m sorry if I offended anyone but that’s the way I see it. I’ve always been a Montreal Canadiens fan but I’m afraid the pride is gone. it’s not so much about winning a cup anymore just make the playoffs.

• Kooch7800 says:

You think Gio is dead wood?

• savethepuck says:

I guess only 3 points in 5 games is a slow start to Neutral. Everyone should be basing their opinions on a 5 game sample size. He’s only on pace for 50 points.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

I think the only people offended would be Gionta, Cole, Darche and Moen. Mr. Gomez I think has heard this before.

Palushaj, Enqvist well they may say give us a chance in a few years and ask you remember they were callups. Ryan White may say I hardly even knew you.

PG/JM well I can’t speak for them, but PG may tell you about some nice carvings he has out of driftwood and could compare the two thus making deadwood a good thing.

• Neutral says:

Kooch – I shouldn’t say Gionta is deadwood it wouldn’t be fair to moen he has 3 points also.
      as for savethepuck maybe you should ask some of the other fans on this site about 3 points in 5 games if they think it’s a slow start
      unless I misunderstood their comments they sure point to a lot of unhappy fans…

28. caladin says:

I think some of the Eric Cole hate is misplaced.
    As I see it, Cole was never really intended to play much special teams. His power play numbers have never been great, and we didn’t (and don’t) really need another powerplay winger. Our powerplay was not the problem last year, especially not the wingers.
    We did, however have a real problem 5 on 5. We had a spot on the top line with plex and Cammi that nobody seemed to be able to fill. We also had a desire to get bigger up front without getting slower.
    Cole has not been stellar, but complaining that he isn’t on the PP enough seems disingenuous to me.
    As for third line…. Last game our captain was on the third line. It wasn’t because he or even Gomez were playing worse than expected, it’s because the young guns (Max/DD/AK46) were so good.
    Personally I think Cole is improving game by game and will be fine. Not 40g, not 80p but 20-25g.
    And if he scores 20g without much PP time so much the better.

Tomorrow the world ends, pretty clear JM/PG are followers of Mr. Harold Camping.

It was a good run folks, live today like it your last.

30. DEANDALLEY says:

CP will shut out the Pens & PK will score a huge goal …

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

Is this the year that AK46 truly breaks through?

• Kooch7800 says:

I predict him to be around 46 to 50 points

• billylove says:

Didn’t we say that same time last year? Afraid we’ll be saying it again next year. Sorry, but I’m obviously not an AK “believer.” He still seems prone to mental lapses and I doubt he will ever develop into a quality top 6. Hope I’m wrong because the Habs could use someone who can PUT THE PUCK IN THE NET!

32. Mattyleg says:

Hi Everybody!
    (Hi Doctor Mattyleg!)
    Oh….I’m not a doctor.

Looking forward to tonight’s game and bbq’s last hamburger hurrah. Friends coming over, and when your bbq is a piece of garbagey junk like mine (been swearing to throw it out for two years; it has two settings: Burnt and Raw, which it will apply to the same piece of meat regardless of the actual setting) this is as cold as it can get before the two settings become Raw and Frozen.

Looking forward to a continuation of last game. Desperation hockey to get us off to a better start. Gotta get some numbers in the W column so’s we can give Pricey a bit of a rest further down the road.

For those of you who are worried, don’t forget the Sens a few years back and their terrible start. Look how their season ended!
    (Once again, don’t come to me for details about hockey. I save those memory slots for useful things like passages from 19th Century literature and obscure historical facts about Crimea.)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Enjoy Matty. If you ever decide to replace your bbq I highly recomend get the Weber. Mine is now 12 years old, only things I have replaced are flavourizer bars and the cooking grills. Earlier this year I broke out my old original Weber Charcoal bbq. Have actually been using it every weekend since. Wow forgot how nice charcoal is and Especially when i used Hickory, apple or Cherrywood chips for smoking. Anyways, sure you knew all that, but I am just a bbq fanatic. Year round at least 3-4 meals a week, during summer the oven gets cobwebs.

Enjoy the game and the sushi styled hamburgers.

• savethepuck says:

The Habs will be 500 by the end of Saturday night’s game.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

33. Ozmodiar says:

Sure, there’s still time to turn it around, but if they don’t, i think this is the year that changes should be made.

If they get a consistent effort from the players who were on the top 6 vs Buffalo, i think PG should take a hard look at the expensive players who weren’t part of that top 6 – Cammy, Gio, and GOmez. I’m not suggesting they trade both Cammy and Gio (one would likely bump Eller, AK, or DD from the top 6), but more size would be nice and they’re a little light on forward prospects. If one of them could be used to address those issues, it should be considered.

Along with getting rid of GOmez, the cap savings would be 12/13M, which would go along way towards adding depth this off-season – Doan, Stoll, Gaustad, Moore…

I’m sure all of this is moot. I’m sure they’ll turn it around.

• savethepuck says:

I don’t think anyone should even be hinting at trading Cammy. By far our best playoff performer in the last 2 years. Clutch guys like that are not a dime a dozen.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

I wouldn’t trade the Captain based on principle.

Remember the mid to late 90s when the Habs had a revolving door for captaincy (Carbo, Muller, Keane, Damphousse, Turgeon, etc…). I think it speaks volumes of the organization if they’re willing to consistently trading their captain. Thankfully, Koivu bucked that trend.

• savethepuck says:

I think the importance of the Captain is the second stupidest thing in hockey. All teams have leaders and that’s what’s needed in the room for a team to have success. I think Derek Jeter is the Captain of the Yankees, but I can’t name another baseball captain. Football teams have Captains that call the coin toss at the beginning of every game, but I can’t name 1 of them. I can assume Brady, Manning, etc…. but can’t swear to it. I don’t know if basketball teams even have Captains. The hockey Captain is an antiquated tradition that only has importance in our sport for some reason.
        The stupidest thing is the extra 2 minutes for drawing blood. That rule should of been gone 50 years ago. You can break a leg, arm, nose, jaw, separate a shoulder, or ruin a knee and you get 2 minutes. Knick a guy like he did to himself shaving that morning and you get an extra 2 minute penalty. Nothing pisses me off more than watching a ref squinting to get a closer look to see if a guy has a little cut. it’s ridiculous.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• Jason Varitek Catcher of the Boston Red Soxs

• savethepuck says:

Name 20 more without doing any internet research.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
            Carey Price

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

That’s an interesting perspective, savethepuck.

I suppose you’re right, from a fans point of view, the captaincy may not have relevancy. But I think it symbolizes the players’ accountability to answer questions on the team’s performance.
          I think it has an even bigger impact on the players themselves, having a peer as a “designated” leader. Although each player should be accountable for his actions on and off the ice, the captain probably acts as a liaison between the players and the team’s management.
          Since Gionta’s selection as captain appeared to be a democratic process, the players still see value in this ‘antiquated’ symbolism.

34. Danno says:

I’ll go out on a limb here.

My prediction: Habs might win this one – given all Pittsburgh’s injuries.

Then again, the Habs might invent a new way to lose. They’ve been good at that lately. Stay tuned.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

35. punkster says:

24 Cups makes what may be the best point of the week down below. Panic mode decisions by management can be disasters in any business. I’ll add that it would not necessarily be good to follow extreme fan advice either. Of course a business must listen to its customers as well as its own internal and external market experts then carefully decide based on all input what changes will bring improvement. Knee jerk or panic reactions rarely spell success.

I imagine the Habs will start winning soon and a disastrous start doesn’t spell doom for the season. Just means they have a few games to make up along the way. Realistically they wouldn’t have been better than 3 wins in 5 games which over the year is about 49 wins, an improvement over last season.

Leafs and Caps won’t stay undefeated. Habs, Bruins and Lightning won’t suck all year. It’ll be interesting to see how all 5 franchises handle things when fortunes change.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Bripro says:

Absolutely.
      Every team goes through a slump. Better now than in March/April.
      And the way they’re playing, if this is the worst of their slump, they’ll be just fine.
      As for Washington, yes, they’re still perfect, but they certainly had their hands full against an inferior Ottawa team the other night.

• bleedhabs81 says:

LOGIC!!!

36. savethepuck says:

Don’t know if anyone caught this or not regarding the Laffs, but they are in the middle of a back-to-back last night and tonight. It was announced Tuesday that “The Monster” would get 1 of the starts. Yesterday it was decided that Reimer would play last night against the Jets and “The Monster” would start against the Bruins tonight. TSN said in last nights pre-game that the decision was probably made to give the Laffs the best chance of getting 2 points in the 2 games. My point is that even at 3-0-1 doesn’t that seem like a losing mentality. Wouldn’t a winner play their starter against a Division rival and their backup against the lowly Jets? I guarantee if the Habs have Jets-Bruins b2b, Carey’s getting the B’s and Budaj gets the Jets.
    Please don’t read into this post that in anyway I am saying I think Reimer is a good goaltender. There probably isn’t much difference betyween the 2 but obviously based on him starting every game so far, the Laffs organization thinks he’s their best.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• Kooch7800 says:

Reimer is better than the so called Monster. I agree their logic doesn’t make sense but that is Wilson for you. He is a tool.

Reimer isn’t bad and if he plays like he is now they will most likely make the playoffs.

• Chris says:

I love all the swipes at James Reimer, like the comment, “Please don’t read into this post that in anyway I am saying I think Reimer is a good goaltender.”

If James Reimer had come up for Montreal and put up stats like the ones he posted last season (35 GP, 20-10-5, 2.60 GAA and 0.921 SV%), Montreal fans would have been as giddy as Leaf fans were and are.

He has now gotten off to a decent start once again (5 GP, 4-0-1, 2.41 GAA and 0.917 SV%), and Habs fans are still taking swipes at the kid.

He wasn’t drafted early. He doesn’t have the World Juniors pedigree of a Carey Price, Marc-Andre Fleury or Roberto Luongo. He hasn’t benefitted from playing for a team that dedicates itself to a strong defensive system like those other guys. His defence corps, like that of Carey Price this season, is pretty young (Phaneuf is 26, Franson and Gunnarsson are 24, Schenn and Gardiner are 21).

But he continues to win. People can call it luck or whatever they want, but he’s winning. There are far more goalies that came out of nowhere (Thomas, Backstrom, Kiprusoff, Rinne, Quick, Lundqvist, etc.) to star for their teams than there are goalies that were sure-fire stars.

Will Reimer be another Tim Thomas or Henrik Lundqvist? Who knows? But thus far, he’s got as good a shot at it as Carey Price does, and many here were annointing him as perhaps the best goaltender in the world two weeks ago.

• SeriousFan09 says:

See where he is by mid-season. Has to prove he can handle a true starter’s workload and that teams will not break down his weakpoints and work him over on those areas as the year goes on.

Plenty of goalies without the star pedigree are hot to start, than fade as well.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

• Chris says:

No question. But the star pedigree is irrelevant.

Every goalie in the league has good and bad seasons for a whole host of reasons and some that nobody really understands.

Tim Thomas went from Vezina Trophy to losing his job to Vezina Trophy.

Carey Price went from hot start/injury/inconsistent to losing his job to being a legitimate Vezina candidate.

Ryan Miller went from Vezina Trophy to mediocre to what looks like another stellar season.

The most consistent goalie in the NHL over the past 3 years or is probably Lundqvist. The rest of them all carry some measure of not knowing what you’re going to get.

• JF says:

Chris – I think a lot of the swipes at Reimer are sour grapes. He showed last year he’s a competitor, dragging the Leafs into respectability after a horrendous first half of the season. He’s playing well right now and seems to be able to put any mental errors or sloppy play behind him. Whether he can do it for the whole season remains to be seen. Meanwhile, our high draft-pick goaltender with the all-star pedigree isn’t exactly lights-out. Aside from the Calgary and Colorado games, he isn’t playing badly, but he hasn’t been making the game-saving stops we expect from him. In fact, he’s been outplayed by the goaltender at the other end in every game so far. To me, he’s looking more like the Price of two years ago, who lost his job to Halak, than the Price we saw last year.

• Chris says:

No question there is a heavy dose of sour grapes. I can’t stand Brian Burke and his bluster, but I have to give the man credit where it is due. I think he has put together a young, exciting team that has a lot of potential to improve over the next year or two, and he has demonstrated a willingness to move on from his mistakes and recover some valuable assets (Lupul and Gardiner for Beauchemin, 1st and 3rd round picks for Versteeg) when possible.

As for Carey, I’m not seeing him playing at quite the level of 2008-09. In that season, his puck-tracking was noticeably off and he just looked like he was struggling with focus. His body language after goals was terrible that year as well, constantly glaring at his defencemen after every goal or throwing his hands up in frustration.

This season, I have yet to get the impression that he’s in a fog, but he is going down awfully early on a lot of shots and the shooters are picking the corners. The rebound the other night was uncharacteristic, but I’m reluctant to read too much into it until there is more of a body of work to assess. His body language, aside from the shootout, has not concerned me and I still think he’ll be fine. He has been outplayed in most of the games, but that happens when you’re facing goalies of the calibre of Ryan Miller or Miika Kiprusoff, while Semyon Varlamov and James Reimer are two of the more promising youngsters breaking into the league.

The goaltending fraternity is so level in skill these days that any of those guys can, on any given night, outplay their counterpart on a good night. In a league dominated by parity, this can be the difference between a 2-1 win and a 5-2 loss.

• savethepuck says:

Think you missed the point of my post. It was regarding the organization’s decision being that of a losing mentality. Play the starter against the weak team and the backup against the stronger team. It wasn’t meant to be a discussion on Reimer’s abilities. But if you want my honest opinion, he’s proven niothing to me. Last years #’s are based on roughly 3 months and he only had 2 good months IMO, Jan and Feb. His #’s plummeted in March.
        In 07-08 as a 20 year old rookie Carey was 24-12-3 with a 2.56 GAA and a 920 sve %, and a lot of people on here think he sucked until his breakout year last year.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

From what I have heard here, the thought process behind it was to keep Reimer on a roll. They know keeping his confidence high is important. By giving him what is/was supposed to be the easier game he stays on a roll. Essentially rather sacrifice “The Monster” to the wolves in Boston.

I see your point that is could be a bit of a defeatist attitude, but I understand why they are doing it, and they need a good Reimer and this in their view is a building block in his confidence.

• Chris says:

A lot of people on here thought that Carey was the next coming of Roy that first season. It was only with his mediocre play against Philly (and the team’s inability to score) that some of the shine came off his star.

Then he got off to a great start before seeing his season (and temporarily his career) derailed by an injury. He lost his job the season after that to Halak. It was only in his fourth season that he recoverd his mojo.

I didn’t miss the point of your post at all…I just took issue with the snide swipe you took at Reimer. As for the playing time, Wilson played it the way that many would with a pair of young goalies. The Leafs are playing 3 games in 4 nights. They played Reimer against Winnipeg in Toronto on Wednesday night, Gustavsson in Boston tonight and will almost certainly come back with Reimer against Montreal on Saturday night. Pretty clear who the #1 goalie is, from my vantage point.

• savethepuck says:

In hindsight I probably should of left out the last paragraph. I may of even worded it a little differently than what I meant to say.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
            Carey Price

37. SeriousFan09 says:

I’ll wager Cammalleri plays tonight, even a bit weak he’s far and away our best man against Pittsburgh, JM knows that and so does Cammalleri who will want in the lineup.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

38. Psycho29 says:

The Habs WILL turn it around.
    I have it on good authority (From Tony Marinaro’s barber’s sister-in-law’s cousin who knows a guy that brings PG his tofu sandwich every day at Noon) that the team was stressed out about the situation in Libya.
    The fact that it appears Gaddafi was killed this morning will set things back to normal.
    Canadiens 4, Penguins 3.

39. immortalhab says:

I think Pacioretty could become our star in a few years … other teams will want him so our management might trade him for a bag of magic beans … and some cash to supplement Gomez’s salary.

• rogieshan says:

Gomez will be a desirable pickup for the bottom-cap teams after this season because his actual salary is going to decrease by two and three millions, respectively, over each of his final two years. Of course, paying $5 million to a third-line centre with little offense still seems ridiculous.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Great post. High quality insight. Glad your so optimistic.

Max won’t be traded for a bag of beans unless he becomes disgruntled and a distraction. Then management might…

So…. your wrong, for now.

40. Asad_B says:

Good Morning Hab Fans,

I am going to vent a little here and would like for you guys to comment even if you agrree or disagree. This team will not be successful until Mr. Martin is gone, I did not like him when Montreal first hired him and now am more furstrated with him. It should not matter if someone is bilingual or not lets get the man who can do the job, enough is enough. When will this organization get it through their tick skulls and beef this team up in size, I am sick and tired of watching this team get physically beat up, especailly by Boston. Its not the 70’s any more, we need to catchup like the rest of the teams and get bigger and stronger. Gomez should of never been signed even if it meant for us not to get Cammy or Gionta, not worth it. For the love of GOD can we please move on and stop having hope in Markov returning!!!!

Thanks for reading.

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

Disagree

• shiram says:

What you said is a fairly popular opinion around here, but what you just posted as also been said ad nauseam.
      I agree that speaking french should be not be the end all for the coach, and I’m native french.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• slamtherimtim says:

i’ll second that

• G-Man says:

Gomez was traded for, not “signed.” JM getting the team to the ECF first season isn’t your version of “successful,” I guess. Considering that 80% + of your fan base speaks french means that, yes, the coach should be able to speak the language (At least a little). The Habs have AK46, Pac, Moen, Eller and Cole. Last I looked, those guys aren’t small.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Just wondering, what part of Martin’s coaching you have a problem with? Did you not like how they limited the shots on net? Did you not like the shear and utter dominance in the Sabers Zone the other night?

I imagine you didn’t like the lop sided puck possession and shots on goal by the Habs… right? Who wants to see that?

You know what I am sick of… whining about Gomez, Martin, and our lack of size. You know what I have seen this year. I have seen a bunch of big forwards and a bunch of big defensemen who throw around their weight. Cole, A tits, Max, Yemelin, Gill (laid someone out on Tuesday), Moen, PK….

You know what else I have seen. Our smallest guys being our best players. Cammy, DD (too bad he is not great with faceoffs), Pleks….

So, buddy, we have heard it all before. Come back and post something insightful or original. Maybe back up your statements with why you hate martin, or why we need more grit (I have yet to find myself wishing we had a goon in the lineup this year).

EDIT: I see in my slowness everyone else has already posted these thoughts. I should learn to limit my text so I can submit my post before Shiram! lol

@ Shiram +100

41. awesomerino says:

I find the growing hysteria surrounding this slow start to be as ludicrous as the growing hysteria surrounding the Leafs’ hot start. It’s been 5 games. The Habs are no more sh*t than Phil Kessel is the best player in the NHL. That’s the problem with the first two weeks of the season; there’s so much build up in the preceding 6 weeks, so much anticipation, that we tend to over scrutinize everything, even by Montreal standards, in the early going.

Remember the hockey-bortion that was Centennial season? The Habs started off like gang busters that year. We were top 3 in the Conference heading into mid-November, and that didn’t exactly work out for anyone, did it?

Now I’m not saying there aren’t adjustments that need to be made. There are. But they will. These guys are professionals who’ve played together for the past 3 seasons. The new guys will assimilate soon enough. Our world-class goalie will get back to playing like one. Yes, Gomez is still a massive disappointment, but have we had a line as fun to watch as MaxPac/Desharnais/AK46 in the last 10 years?

It’s coming. The season isn’t won or lost after 5 games. Yes, all the points count, but there’s a sh*t-ton of hockey left to be played.

Quote The Franchise, “everybody chill.”

42. CanadienBoy says:

I long will it take for Cunnyworth and Ladouceur to stand up to Martin, really both those guys actualy play hockey and both have more than 1200 pmin.. each Cunny 1283 and Lado 1365 pm they is no way they can like the team lack of grit

• G-Man says:

I think they are happy to be assistant coaches. Stand up to Martin? That’s how you are shown the door. They are on the same page or they are gone. Geez.

• bleedhabs81 says:

because total PM’s should be to governing factor which determines who should coach…. right?

Who cares about strategy… .PM’s is where it is at!

You know what I don’t understand, why people put stock into PMs. Last time I checked, getting a penatly was, well, a penatly.

Penatly by definition: A punishment established by law or authority for a crime or offense

So… why do I want a coach (or player for that matter) who has racked up PM’s? Do I want to sit and watch the team play short handed all the time?

PM is stupid stat to put any stock in (I hate when TSN or whomever highlights the PM as a positive stat). I don’t want PK’s. I want PP’s

Do us a favour and give your head a shake.

43. DEANDALLEY says:

Will the Habs turn it around?

Does a bear sh!t in the woods?

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

44. joshua94k says:

I like to read Dennis Kane’s wonderful Habs blog. Today he has a list of players who went 40 games without scoring a goal. I wonder how many played top line minutes and were one of the highest paid in the league.

He’s on this list – Guys Who Have Gone Longer Than 40 Games Without A Goal.

Right freaking now – 44 games – Scott Gomez
    2005-06 47 games Cameron Janssen (NJ)
    2003-04 51 games Matthew Spiller (Phx)
    2002-03 46 games Robert Ray (Buf/Ott)
    2002-03 42 games Kryzysztof Oliwa (NYR/Bos)
    2002-03 41 games Alexander Henry (Edm/Wsh)
    1998-99 61 games Tyler Wright (Pit)
    1998-99 46 games Trent McCleary (Mtl)
    1998-99 45 games Steven Webb (NYI)
    1998-99 44 games Darren Langdon (NYR)
    1991-92 50 games Jay Caufield (Pit)
    1979-80 43 games Jay Wells (LA)
    1974-75 40 games Gary Doak (Bos)
    1957-58 45 games Gordon Strate (Det)
    1932-33 48 games Vernon Ayres (NYA)
    1932-33 46 games Harold Starr (Ott/Mtl)
    1931-32 48 games John ‘Jack’; McVicar (Mtl)
    1930-31 43 games Francis Peters (NYR)
    1928-29 44 games Percival Traub (Det)
    1928-29 40 games Gerald Carson (Met/NYR)
    1927-28 40 games Charles Langlois (Mtl C/Pit Pirates)

Can the Canadiens turn it around?

Can they turn this crap around? Will Cole and Yemelin answer the bell? Any others?

• DEANDALLEY says:

That Pucking Bigfoot was always a dirty SOB & always will !

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

• Clay says:

I think it’s important though that the fans and media don’t judge them too soon. These players are new to town, and fan pressure in Montreal can be intense…best not to sour them to the city. Better to give them a fair chance.

__________________________
      Anyway, I’ve never been captain in 16 years in the NHL. But that didn’t stop me being a leader in my own way.
      Guy Lafleur

• shiram says:

That is what I dislike about hockey fighting, they are losing and they cannot keep their emotions in check so they resort to fisticuffs.
      As a kid my parent told me not to let my emotions run my life, and I don’t see why those pro athletes can’t do the same thing.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

46. joshua94k says:

He’s on this list – Guys Who Have Gone Longer Than 40 Games Without A Goal.

Right freaking now – 44 games – Scott Gomez
    2005-06 47 games Cameron Janssen (NJ)
    2003-04 51 games Matthew Spiller (Phx)
    2002-03 46 games Robert Ray (Buf/Ott)
    2002-03 42 games Kryzysztof Oliwa (NYR/Bos)
    2002-03 41 games Alexander Henry (Edm/Wsh)
    1998-99 61 games Tyler Wright (Pit)
    1998-99 46 games Trent McCleary (Mtl)
    1998-99 45 games Steven Webb (NYI)
    1998-99 44 games Darren Langdon (NYR)
    1991-92 50 games Jay Caufield (Pit)
    1979-80 43 games Jay Wells (LA)
    1974-75 40 games Gary Doak (Bos)
    1957-58 45 games Gordon Strate (Det)
    1932-33 48 games Vernon Ayres (NYA)
    1932-33 46 games Harold Starr (Ott/Mtl)
    1931-32 48 games John ‘Jack’; McVicar (Mtl)
    1930-31 43 games Francis Peters (NYR)
    1928-29 44 games Percival Traub (Det)
    1928-29 40 games Gerald Carson (Met/NYR)
    1927-28 40 games Charles Langlois (Mtl C/Pit Pirates)

47. joshua94k says:

I like to read Dennis Kane’s Habs blog every day. It is a great site.

There is a list of players who have gone longer than 40 games without a goal. I wonder how many played top line minutes and were paid as one of the highest in the league.

Guys Who Have Gone Longer Than 40 Games Without A Goal.

Right freaking now – 44 games – Scott Gomez
    2005-06 47 games Cameron Janssen (NJ)
    2003-04 51 games Matthew Spiller (Phx)
    2002-03 46 games Robert Ray (Buf/Ott)
    2002-03 42 games Kryzysztof Oliwa (NYR/Bos)
    2002-03 41 games Alexander Henry (Edm/Wsh)
    1998-99 61 games Tyler Wright (Pit)
    1998-99 46 games Trent McCleary (Mtl)
    1998-99 45 games Steven Webb (NYI)
    1998-99 44 games Darren Langdon (NYR)
    1991-92 50 games Jay Caufield (Pit)
    1979-80 43 games Jay Wells (LA)
    1974-75 40 games Gary Doak (Bos)
    1957-58 45 games Gordon Strate (Det)
    1932-33 48 games Vernon Ayres (NYA)
    1932-33 46 games Harold Starr (Ott/Mtl)
    1931-32 48 games John ‘Jack’; McVicar (Mtl)
    1930-31 43 games Francis Peters (NYR)
    1928-29 44 games Percival Traub (Det)
    1928-29 40 games Gerald Carson (Met/NYR)
    1927-28 40 games Charles Langlois (Mtl C/Pit Pirates)

48. rogieshan says:

I suspect Martin would try breaking up Gomez and Gionta if their drought continues. The captain appears to be shooting less due to the subtle changes in Gomez’s game and, collectively, they both have suffered offensively trying to adapt.

Perhaps the top three lines could look something like this:

Plekanec – Gionta – Cole
    Desharnais – Kostitsyn – Pacioretty
    Gomez – Cammalleri – Eller

• arcosenate says:

How about this:

Plekanec – Gionta – Cole
      Desharnais – Kostitsyn – Pacioretty
      Murray from Mary Tyler Moore– Cammalleri – Eller

Because Gomez is DONE.

I agree in splitting up Gomez/Gionta. Don’t really want to see Maxpac/DD/AK split as they are playing well, but if JM is going to juggle wouldn’t mind seeing Gomez get a try there.

Both Gionta and Gomez are struggling, not sure why they need to be kept together.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think they keep Gio with Gomer cause unfortunately, not too many people on the roster have had success with Gomez. I am not trying to rag on him but it is true. We need Gio shooting a ton more. Max P has 27 shots so far and Gio has 7……tells the story

• Clay says:

You have placed Gomez far too high on the depth chart.

__________________________

I am like the Jack Nicholson of the Kings – every single game. If there was a game tonight I wouldn’t be here. I used to play hockey. That was my original thing. My first thing, I wanted to play professional hockey.
      Rob Zombie

• habbernack says:

Put anybody on Gomez’s line and their game goes south.

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
      attitude determines how you do it

• CanadienBoy says:

I think Gomez will look great on the Jet first line

• rogieshan says:

Because Gionta is his captain, Martin will do everything he can to get him going, even at the expense of other players. He switched Cammalleri with him early last year on Plekanec’s line and Gionta’s production immediately went up while Cammy’s fell.

Gomez’s situation is precarious. Based on his play, third-line centre is where he belongs even if Martin won’t admit to a hierarchy of line formation publicly. But there really is no place to protect (i.e. bury) him in the lineup without provoking further controversy, not to mention Gomez’s wrath.

• nunacanadien says:

I wonder what we could get as a package for Gionta and Gomez. Granted we would lose Gionta’s offensive skills, and Gomez’s playmaking ability, but really, are these fantastic mighty smurfs producing like they were supposed to? Are they also attracting big name stars to Montreal in return for their salary? No. I bet we could unload the duo and a significant cap hit at the same time to a struggling team like Winnipeg.

49. RetroMikey says:

Something that annoys me this season is that the organization will not cater to the fans by not issuing out photo lineup cards this year for each game as in previous years.
    They definitely were fun to collect over the years.
    This year, there will only be a paper lineup sheet inserted into the magazine for game days.
    Marketing department really blew this.
    And what is this “Rise Together” motto we have?
    Rise together for what? Prices for tickets? Beer? Hot Dogs? Player’s salaries?

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

50. JF says:

Tonight feels like a must-win game. The Penguins are more depleted than we are, yet they’re still winning, so there can be no excuses about injuries. If the Habs come out flat, if Price is only so-so, if defensive breakdowns cost them yet again, if they miss more open nets, full-scale panic will ensue.

• RetroMikey says:

Injuries are a lame excuse.
      Every team has injuries and know how to step up their game.
      The team has depth on the farm in case of injuries. They’ve been saying this for years during the days of Bob Gainey who was GM.
      The team is older with players like Gionta, Gill , Spacek, Gomez and my favourite Darche to name a few who IMO, have lost their mojo.
      Can’t see this team going very far this season.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• 24 Cups says:

“Still, the Pens could be fatigued. They’ve played five games in eight days. Thursday will make it six in 10. They’ve played in four different time zones already this season, and five of their eight games have been on the road. Being home, however, could energize them.” (Stu Hackel)

• Cam_1 says:

I don’t care if they played 5 games in 5 days and this is their 6th game in 6 days…they could still beat the Habs…it’s not that hard to do these days !!!

51. immortalhab says:

The strange thing about Gomez untouchability is that his name doesn’t end in “ov”.

52. LA Loyalist says:

I saw Becker/Lendl play live in Montreal, before tennis was taken over by Robots.
    Saw Ken Reardon, Gary Carter Expos in Jarry Park.
    For pure entertainment, a Habs/Nordiques game (84, I think) where the lead changed about 7 times and the score was 8-6 or something.

Any of you young un’s that weren’t around for Habs/Nordiques, pray it comes again, it’s a gas.

But of course the best was seeing my kid (8) down 2-0 with 6 minutes left, score 2 goals, the second with 30 seconds left, to get his team a tie, just on sheer individual effort, channeling Saku :-)

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

Habs/Nordiques games were the bomb. Just watching cross-provincial/state rivals (Leafs/Sens, Oilers/Flames, and even Fylers/Pens) play each other is always exciting.

I long for a re-newed intra-Quebec rivalry. It would be good for the NHL.

• habfan01 says:

1986 playoff game at the forum- scored 5 straight goals in the 3rd period- after a couple of brawls to end the second and start the third.

• Jim Edson says:

Jeff Reardon was seen at Parc Jarry and Ken Reardon was surely seen at the Forum in the 50″s and 60’s!

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Barak Obama or Gary Bettman.

53. kirkiswork says:

Way too early to be worried. Lots of positives last couple of games.
    It will turn around, all it will take is a couple of bounces going our way.
    True Habs fan.

54. 123456 says:

OK so i don’t want to bash the players over and over again – it’ sgets tirin greading the same posts form the same people. . . but whie i hav ebeen a gomez supporter over the years… i have to vent. i know it’s still early but he’s got to go. and i dont mean to the fourth line. i’m not looking for 25 goals and 35 assists from him – rather 40 points and a lot of puck possession – i see nothing to believe either will happen… he does not win many battles along the boards. to offset this mild rants i’ll add: AK46 looks good this year and i’m excited for cammy to return (oh yea and price will be playing better)

55. habbernack says:

Boone you can build a contender through the draft if you draft well. Where are the habs first round picks now ? Kyle Chipchura, David Fisher, Ryan Mcdonagh, Chris Higgins, Komi, Ron Hainsey, Marcel Hossa, Eric Chinouinard, Jason Ward, These are the habs 1 st round picks from 1997 to 2007. Second round picks might be worse

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
    attitude determines how you do it

FYI, you left a couple out Carey Price, Louis Leblanc, Andrei Kostitsyn, Max Pacioretty , Jared Tinordi and Nathan Bealieau.

• G-Man says:

No sense letting facts get in the way, Burly; the man is ranting.

• habbernack says:

Cary was 2005 and AK 2003. The other ones you mentioned were 2008 till last year. There were a couple of years where they had 2 first round picks, 2000 and 2001 and 2007 when they picked Mcdonagh and Max Pac. We’ve had 12 first round picks from 97 to 2007 and we have three on our team; Cary, AK and Pac man. I didn’t include 08 onward becuse those guys are still prospects. The post said 1997 to 2007. Read a little closer

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
        attitude determines how you do it

• DearyLeary says:

Defencemen taken before PK Subban (I should just save this list instead of searching every time):

Thomas Hickey (4th overall by the Kings, you know one of those good teams!)
        Keaton Ellerby (10th overall by the Panthers, how are all those high first round picks working out for Fla anyway?)
        McDonagh (taken by the Habs, playing well in NY, but we’ve got a pretty deep young core for defencemen on the way)
        Alex Plante (15th overall, taken by those dynamo Edmonton Oilers, you know, the ones ‘building through the draft’ the team with no defencemen)
        Ian Cole (18th overall by the Blues, I wonder how Jaro appreciates this pick…)

I won’t keep going, because there’s 5 or six more defencemen taken before PK.

Listen. Drafting isn’t a perfect science. We’ve picked up some absolute gems through the draft. Do you really think Patches would have slipped to 22 had people known the player he’d become? Or PK? Pleks? Markov? What about Gallagher right now, does he feel like a 5th round pick considering how he showed during the preseason?

Don’t be obtuse just because the team has had a slow start.

• habbernack says:

Deary leary
          I was posting about Boones article about building thru the draft and listed the habs FIRST round picks from 1997 to 2007. .I did not I repeat I did not compare to other picks other teams picked . You’re being OBTUSE

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
          attitude determines how you do it

56. LA Loyalist says:

We have somehow entered an Alice in Wonderland reverse universe, where Habs suck and Leafs are winning… where Price is ordinary and Gomez is a star. It’s evil, is what it is….

The horror! The horror! How do we get back? How do we get home?

Is Yvon Pedneault moonlighting as a stage actor in Toronto? Saw this advertisement on a Toronto based website and couldn’t help but notice the name of the leading man.

Watched quite a bit of the Leafs game last night and noticed Grabovski on 3 different occasions was either hit hard or nearly decapitated. Twice by Bogosian and someone else the 3rd time. He really does skate with his head down alot in the offensive zone, he needs to be careful or he is going to get fully laid out one of these days.

59. Habfan10912 says:

It’s time!!!! No goals in 40 some games. Gomez needs to play on the 4th line if at all.

@jimlaplante

60. DLHABSNUT65 says:

They will turn it around and it starts tonight with a win against the Pens. Less pressure on the road and they certainly have Fleury’s number. They will win it for Big Hal.

61. RGM says:

The thing about the “high picks yield Cups” hypothesis put forward is that many of the guys on that list weren’t drafted by the teams that won those Cups. Yeah the Pens have a ton of homegrown talent thanks to their years of tanking, but quite a few of those key players switched addresses due to trades and/or free agency. So tanking isn’t the sole answer – poaching other teams’ high-priced free agents is also an acceptable path to glory. LOL

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

Totally agree. Wasn’t Pouliot a top-ten pick?

• Habitforming says:

The Leafs start hot and all of a sudden Burke knows what he is doing and Ron Wilson is an NHL coach? Seriously? It isn’t that bad in habs land to start seeing that much green on the other side of the fence.

The Leafs start every year like this and still miss the playoffs. Wilson is still a minor league coach and Burke would have been fired by any other NHL team after the Kessel for Knight, Seguin, Hamilton trade alone.

Re-visit this at the end of November and see if it’s still so rosey in TO.
      If the Habs are going to continue to lose, then do it consistently and let see if we can “Nail” a franchise player at the draft.

62. Vladdy Mondavi says:

With yesterday’s 30-year anniversary of Blue Monday. It got me thinking what’s the most memorable sporting event I’ve witnessed live… and most of them are more personal highs, enjoying the moment with present company… none of which will be celebrated/memorialized in 30 years.
    But for discussion sake, I’ll list some of them none the less:
    – First NHL game (Devils-Habs in the mid-eighties) – I remember Chico Resch got scored on a lot.
    – Habs/Leaf game, standing room at the Forum, October 1994.
    – Habs/Sens season opener 2003 (first date with my wife)
    – Seeing Vlad Guerrero hit for the cycle
    – Grey Cup with my old man

Anybody out in HI/O have any cool ones?

Michael Farber on TSN this morning did an excellent piece on the Expos franchise, specifically pointing to Blue Monday as the turning point for the worse of the franchise. I recomend Expo fans try watch it on the TSN loop this morning.

At the end Farber talks of how Rick Monday has complained that whenever he has gone into Canada since Blue Monday he gets heavily questioned at the border. Farber states, I would immediately hand him over to the RCMP, afterall how many years in jail should a guy get for killing a franchise.

Great to have Farber back doing what he does best.

• kempie says:

Game 5 in 93 for me. That will be tough to beat. Montreal is the best place in the cosmos to celebrate a Stanley Cup.

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

That would have been sweet being at the game. I was at a friend’s place in Dorion to watch the game. When they won the cup we ran out into the streets to celebrate.
        Now, the select few times I get to pass that interesection where we celebrated, I get to reminisce the ’93 Cup victory – so in way, I guess I’m glad I wasn’t at the game.

63. Marc10 says:

An interesting bit of analysis overheard on ‘Les Amateurs de Sport’ recently.

DD, MaxPac and AK are averaging 35 second shifts. Gomer and Gio… 50+ second shifts…

• stephen says:

I think that might be most indicative of the time they spend with the puck.

DD’s line has more often been in possession of the puck, creating chances, then getting off, while Gomez and company has spent a lot of time chasing it around their own end, unable to change until the zone is cleared.

• Neutral says:

the lines the habs have been going with the last couple of games are playing just as good as the Leafs if not better. only difference the leafs are more consistent on defence and scoring that will be the difference come saturday whom ever wins.

64. habsfan reduxit says:

… okay, so here’s a simple question, one designed to engender some argum … oops, I mean, some discussion:

“What are the Maple Leafs doing right that the Habs are not?”

• HardHabits says:

The Leafs have a goalie who’s stopping pucks.

• Propwash says:

By letting in 3 goals? By going to a shootout?
        They played against the Jets, not the greatest of competition.

_____________________
        Dooooooooooooooomed!™

Ahhhh HH, that straw you use to stir the drink I see has become a large wooden stick stirring a huge cauldron.

Yes indeed, lets already announce Reimer as a better #1 goalie than Price, that indeed is what the Habs miss compared to Leafs. Let’s not point to a Habs team whose defence is learning NHL hockey on the fly, while playing 2-3 forwards who should be in the NHL, while having some forwards (veterans) not play up to standards expected of them.

I will give full marks to the Leafs, their #1 line is playing like a #1 line. They also have a very effective 2nd and 3rd line. And a completely healthy group of defencemen to choose from.

Reimer has played good enough to win, but so far they are winning as a team. Reimer is not yet stealing victories for them.

• avatar_58 says:

Counterpoint – the leafs aren’t relying on their goaltender to win the game for them, they actually score

• DEANDALLEY says:

Stooping pucks whe he let in 4 against Ottawa!

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

• SeriousFan09 says:

Also see “Phil Kessel on a hot streak” that can end rather quickly and turn rather ugly for the Loafs.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

I wouldn’t say they’re doing much differently, but the difference between their record and the Habs record right now is a result of, IMO, a) timely scoring and b) more sound defence (I did shudder when I wrote the part b)).

On an interesting side note, I briefly watched Ron Wilson’s press conference after the game and they asked him why he went with Frattin as the third (and final) shooter. His response, to paraphrase, to boost the kid’s confidence – he has the skills, but hasn’t scored yet… interesting take. I wonder if JM would ever use the same strategy… probably not.

• habsfan reduxit says:

… I agree with you about the scoring. I can’t remember the last time – Kovalev, maybe – the Habs had a bona fide goal scorer. All I see now is a/ hitting a forestful of goal posts, and b/ flurries around the net which usually result in the opposition’s defence taking the puck away.

• 24 Cups says:

It would appear that the Habs have moved to a ‘scoring by committee’ game plan. There really isn’t one real true sharp shooter on the team (maybe Cammy come playoff time) such as Kovalev, Richer or Lafleur. We have one guy who can hit the 30 mark with another five who are good for the 20-30 range.

Right now, our experienced forwards need to start playing the way our younger guys are. Once that happens, the goals will come and so will the victories.

There’s no reason we can’t beat the Pens and the laffs. We certainly need three out of four points. If we lose both games then the team will have no choice but to go into crisis mode. That’s usually when management makes some really bad decisions that can have long term repercussions.

• LA Loyalist says:

Certainly Kovalev was our last real deal scorer – but isn’t that Cammaleri’s role now? Injuries aside.

Cammaleri has all the skill and good attitude.

He needs the right line mates and more importantly – he is probably hampered by LE SYSTEM!

He comes back healthy, and when Martin is fired, he’ll start lighting it up.

• habsfan reduxit says:

… yes I agree about Cammy. I forgot about him when I made my original point. But he can’t nor won’t do it all by himself. We simply have too many playmakers and not enough snipers.

• 24 Cups says:

Their top line is on fire. Kessel is the scoring leader in the NHL and Lupul is also in the top ten.

People like to go on about Price but the Habs could have won against Toronto adn Buffalo if they tallied a few markers. The only loss I would pin on Price so far is the Colorado game.

The Pens are missing their top three players which cancels out not having Markov and Cammy. The challenge on Saturday will be for our highly paid front line forwards to outscore the laffs hot scorers.

• TommyB says:

If Pacioretty starts to cash some of his chances, and Plekanecs figures out that “raising” the puck is allowed, we should be okay. One real concern, IMO, is that Cole can’t skate with this team. He seems to be a step behind and maybe that explains why JM had him on the third line to start the season. He has to elevate his game.

• 24 Cups says:

Tommy – I worry about the long term implications of the Cole signing. He may eventually become another version of Spacek.

No doubt he hasnt looked great yet, but for whatever reason (never understood this) he is a slow starter historically. We need to give him 10-15 games to get used to a complete new system, and remember, not just any system but the vaunted “JM SYSTEM”.

• TommyB says:

I think if the Habs can get at least two good seasons out of him, they’ve gotten a good return on their investment. But it has to start now. The luxury of waiting around a year for him to adjust, or whatever, is not something the Habs can afford.

• JF says:

Say what you like about Brian Burke, he made some excellent off-season moves, and right now they’re all panning out. Grabbing Steckel just before the start of the season was a stroke of genius. I’m still mad about that. If the Devils were willing to take a 4th-rounder for him, why wasn’t Gauthier in on it?

The only real question-mark for the Leafs was in goal, and right now Reimer is showing he can do it. His numbers are better than Price’s. Their offence looks great and their defence, despite Komisarek’s miscues, is getting the job done.

I’m beginning to think the Canadiens’ brass, whether it’s Gauthier or Gainey, are too cautious, too conservative, not ruthless enough. Both have made some good moves, but, aside from the housecleaning two years ago, those moves amount to little more than tweaking. Burke is ruthless. He goes out and gets what he wants, or the closest thing to it. He robbed Calgary on the Phaneuf deal, and even the Kessel trade is starting to look better. Holmgren is another who doesn’t hesitate to deal with reckless abandon, and look how his team is doing.

• 24 Cups says:

Jane – In golf we sometimes say that one bad shot leads to another. Not having a set 4th line centre in place was a huge mistake. A mistake that has many repercussions. The notion of having Weber as a swing man on the 4th line also drives me nuts.

I was going to mention Steckel but thought that it might look like hindsight. My question is why we didn’t offer up a 3rd rounder for him? He’s signed for two more years at 1.1M. That fact that Montreal went after Betts lets you know that G&G realized they made a big mistake.

I still think the Kessel deal is a mistake (Seguin/Hamilton/Knight) but Burke has made some decent moves. Fans go on and on about the Komi signing (he has been better this season) but we also have our own lemons. The whole laff season with turn on the play of Reimer. If he improves on his net positioning and rebound control he just might take Toronto to the playoffs. It’s still early, though.

• JF says:

Steve – Yes, the Kessel deal was a mistake, but if he always performed the way he has been, it wouldn’t be. He started last season on fire, then completely dried up. Right now his line is carrying the Leafs’ offence, so if Kessel goes into a long scoring drought, as he is prone to do, they could be in trouble. But for now, he’s lighting it up and carrying the rest of the team with him. Also, Burke has made some astute moves which partially cancel out that mistake.

As for Reimer, I’m still not sold on him, although he seems to be a likeable kid and a competitor. I guess questions about him might also arise if Kessel stops scoring the way he is.

I agree that not signing a good, tough 4th-line centre over the summer was a huge blunder. I was happy about the Betts pickup, but the way that turned out, on top of the lack of encouraging news about Markov, makes me think the omens for this season are just bad.

• LA Loyalist says:

Ducks liked Lupul a lot but are obviously deep up front and needed help on D.

A bit of a risk on Leafs side for medical reasons but looks like it is working out. Lupul is supposed to be a good team mate and more skilled than most Leaf players in recent years.

His medical situation was just bizarre and credit too him for getting through it.

• NCRhabsfan says:

One big difference is their 7 million dollar man is performing, and ours is not.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

The Hares … er … Leafs are getting a head start on their 30 wins and we’re playing the role of the tortoise. C’est tout.

• Neutral says:

shilo – management don’t want to admit they made a bad deal in getting Gomez that’s why he’s golden. I’ll be surprised if he’s ever dropped from the 2nd line. what a waste when they could be using Eller.

65. pmaraw says:

i dont care what it takes, just please stop the bleeding!

66. Habfan10912 says:

Morning Shiloh. I Agree. What is it about Gomez that Captain Crunch loves? I don’t get it.

@jimlaplante

67. Vladdy Mondavi says:

No kidding, Shiloh. Those are some great sporting moments – they will surely be remembered after 30 years.

I just remembered a not-so-historic, but downright the funniest event I’ve seen live was at a Predators game (in Nashville) – Billy Ray Cyrus was the intermission entertainment (trying to make a comeback – before his daughter got bigger than him) and he was the judge of a mullet competition. Classically hysterical.

68. Vladdy Mondavi says:

Loved Fubar, haven’t taken the time to watch Fubar 2. My three-year-old daughter won’t let me.

69. Cam_1 says:

I couldn’t agree with you more main. The ball is Molson’s court ..they are the ones with the power. The question is will they do anything ? I doubt it !!!

70. Vladdy Mondavi says:

Are there younger, more adaptable minds available?

Look at the Habs recent records of bringing in rookie GMs/coaches. I don’t recall them being successful years.

71. Braidan says:

And then when they bring in young adaptable minds the moment we lose a few games then the usual suspects will be clamoring for an experienced coach and complaining about the Habs unable to get an older more proven coach
    blah blah blah
    rinse and repeat

72. G-Man says:

Wow, what insight. You a fly on the wall at their meetings?

PK, Gio, Carey, need to play better. I won’t mention another name.

74. G-Man says:

You are a Hab fan, right? I mean, somewhere buried deep under that master hockey scout, general manager, and head coach exterior, there must be a fan somewhere…maybe just not of the Habs as they are. The Habs as they might of been, perhaps….hmmmm, you are a puzzle. You sure Molson doesn’t have you on his short list to replace PG and JM?

75. shiram says:

So Mtl is the only team without a fighting major, must be why we are not winning, right?

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

76. DEANDALLEY says:

U R a Vegan correct?

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

77. shiram says:

Just going by whats in that link.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

78. shiram says:

Thanx for making broad assumptions on my person based on one line of text, really great stuff.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

79. Bigdawg says:

actually I beleive Shiram feeds on a strict diet of neanderthal meat only.

80. shiram says:

Generously sprinkled over poutine.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

81. Bripro says:

I guess he didn’t see your poutine avatar.
    Besides, looking out for one’s health is not a basis for criticism.

82. shiram says:

Poutine can be considered vegan right? I don’t keep up with the different type of veganism.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

83. Mattyleg says:

22-second mark.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

84. Bripro says:

LOL.
    Yes Shiram, take out the cheese and gravy, and you have the perfect Vegan dish.

85. shiram says:

I don’t know about that, isn’t there one kind of veganism that tolerates milk produce and eggs?

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

Your other problem Shiram is the fries are often deep fried with a beef base in the fat. That is I think a no can do in PG’s world.

87. shiram says:

Sorry I just glanced at that article, but yea, surely the Habs will win, coming off the energy boosting fight of Moen!

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

88. Mattyleg says:

Personally, I’m still boosted!
    Highly boosted.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

89. G-Man says:

Ahh, there you are: a Gooins Fan. Now we know.

90. Mattyleg says:

Hey, you’re good at these sorts of things:
    How do I get my text to be a hyperlink like you do?
    I was fiddling around with those tags, but I can’t figure them out, dammit!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

91. Bripro says:

Good point.
    You can never please everyone.
    Case in point?
    Look at all the GMs on this site.
    Are they all happy?

92. Vladdy Mondavi says:

jg, I agree with you the Habs could benefit from a fresh outlook. Unfortunately, Vigneault, Julien, and Boucher are all under contracts. We had Vigneault and Julien and it took them a while to hone their skills before they reached last year’s status. They didn’t fare well in their earlier years as Habs coaches.
    For the time being, I’ll take Martin over the alternative.

93. Vladdy Mondavi says:

I like your optimism.

94. 123456 says:

damn thats some good stuff you got there – can i have a hit?

jsut kidding – i’d be thrilled if gomez got his mojo back

95. SeriousFan09 says:

Two months from the point of his surgery so realistically he’ll suit up in early to mid December.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

Yup the year they were surely ready to hoist the Cup and Harold Camping has to eff up the party.

Ouch, was going to ask the same question as Habsolutely but was afraid the news was that bad.

98. Jordio-oh says:

Over his 43 game career, Ryan White has as many hits per game to put him in the top 15 for hits last season. All while playing under 9 minutes a game. Other hit leaders (D. Brown, Ovechkin, Seabrook, Morrow, Callahan) get considerably more ice time.

Also included in that list: Erik Cole.

I’m not saying hits are all the sandpaper we need, but they’re certainly nice to have.

A 4th line of MOen/White/Darche would be far superior to what we got right now.

Plus his style of play gets the rest of the team motivated to play harder as well I believe. It is infectious, then Maxpac and Cole and AK hit more.

He may only be a 4th liner, but his minutes are missed huge. It would be nice to have some sandpaper to replace him while he is gone. Don’t see anyone in Hamilton capable of doing so skating wise.

100. Mattyleg says: