Can Canadiens bottle Lightning?

Canadiens’ Steve Bégin, Mike Komisarek and Roman Hamrlik visit with patient Sara Levitt during the team’s annual visit to the Montreal Children’s Hospital.
John Morstad, Gazette

The Canadiens have been struggling at home this season, but it may not matter when they entertain the Tampa Bay Lightning tonight.

With a 5-6-3 record at the Bell Centre, home ice has been anything but an advantage for the Canadiens. But if the Habs have been bad at home, the Lightning has been awful on the road. Tampa Bay has the worst road record in the National Hockey League – 2-11-1 – after losing 6-1 in Toronto last night.

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey sets up tonight’s game, while reporter Stephanie Myles shares the warmth of the Canadiens’ 42nd annual visit to two Montreal children’s hospitals yesterday.

1. TommyB says:

The law of averages also says Tampa Bay has to win one on the road soon…..flip a coin.

2. habsnyc says:

montreal is a .500 team on a home losing streak. the law of averages suggests they win tonight. it really doesn’t matter who plays on what line. they are due for a couple lucky bounces.

3. Girth says:

Good points… a few questions:

Who do you give up to get a marquee forward?
    Who are realistic candidates?

A few related points:
    It seems to me as though Gainey’s plan is to slowly build a team in the image of the 85-86 Canadiens where the defense actively participates on the rush and in offensive zone. HOWEVER, this means Mr. Price will need to understand that this may change the type of action he will see… (ie: less play in our zone and more odd man rushes). Ultimately, I feel this suits his style better than allowing teams to set up screens in our zone.

The long term team strategy needs to be based on the future #1(Price) … not the out-going starter(Huet).

Given that assertion… I agree with the idea of acquiring a true goal scorer, however, not at the expense of the long term strategy.

4. Hockey11 says:

He spends most of his time calming Guy down, that is his leadership role. He is on the first line temporarily due to injury and poor performance of others.

He will do fine and his strength as a forward is as a set up man so maybe everyone will be surprised. Too bad the Captain is in a funk. At least Higgy has a hot bat.

This is not a prime time coaching staff, too green, too worried about the press or is it La Presse?

Bob, help………………

5. Smart Dog says:

Thanks! I will repeat it here because it didn’t get any comments down there.

————–

DEAR BOB & GUY,

PLEASE LISTEN!

THE THREE THINGS EVERYONE (but you?) KNOWS!:

1. We need more toughness and grit. Thank you for drafting so many good finesse players. We love that you are up-holding the tradition of having a real skating team. But our small guys get pushed around, because we don’t have enough enough grit. Our team is ‘fragile’ because there is no leader with the kind of anchoring grit that you guys had, or Sakic or Smyth, or Neidermeier, or…. Give us a couple of Canadian western-style heart-and-soul players to balance this team’s ‘fragile psyche’, and a decent enforcer and watch your Plekanics and Higgins’s and Kostitsyns burst into scoring machines.

2. The Canadians defensive style of play a la Carbo isn’t working. Sorry I forget who but as below – any team that gives up 30-40 shots or more per game does not have a good defensive system. It’s either not a match for these players or this era. Carbo and Co. need to figure out which. (or both, which is what I think.)

3. We need a marquee forward. Yes, we know this is the hardest one and may take some doing – these guys are extremely rare, but either bundle some of our best guys together or take care of the FIRST TWO OF THESE THINGS so we can have a better team and someone might want to come here.

Bob and Guy – you are GREAT hockey men! But seems these days you’re getting lost in the details…. the thousands of little things you are doing will work a lot better when these bigger things are looked after.

Best Wishes,

A Smart Dog

PS: Sorry for crapping on you (not literally) sometimes. We think you’re great. Just try to listen a little – we fans aren’t stupid.
    _________________________________________________
    My favorite player is GrabARFski!

6. Smart Dog says:

“The one other thing I did want to say that I find curious is the way we line up at the blue line and let teams rush by us.”

NO KIDDING! Hello, nice to meet you… please WALK ON BY!!! Against Carolina we had THREE HITS!!! The whole team! Gee… I wonder why we lost…

And I like the idea of moving Kostits up. But because he is a skilled and finesse player and I think he would gel with Koivu’s scrambling AND Higgins play along the boards. He fills in space well.

_________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grabarfski!

7. N.B. habs fan 50 yrs says:

Dog Smart,
    Great comment …lets hope it gets to Gainey and pray they listen,thank again………

8. Geoff F says:

What do you folks think of the following…

Move Kostitsyn to the first line to play with Saku & Higgins. I think Koivu and Higgins are both hard workers and in my opinion will minimize Kostitsyn’s tendencies to float at times. Maybe their hard work will guilt/push him into working harder and more consistently. Furthermore Koivu is a very good passer and so that would definitely increase the scoring threat unfortunately that would multiply the defensive lapses but we could back them up with Markov & Komisarek. I also like the suggestion about trying Plekanec with Koivu that was suggested in a previous post. Could be an interesting option too….

As for the remaining lines…really not that big of a deal because they’d be energy/defensive lines anyway so it’s less critical in the back half as I think all the players in that category can do the job fairly well. I would really like to form a consistent scoring line to get the boys out of their funk and to force teams to key on a specific line which will open up the other lines for scoring. Right now nobody is scoring consistently making it relatively easy to blanket the team. There’s no easy fix and as Carbo said they have to work harder and keep it simple. Shoot the puck on net and drive to the net for a deflection, screen or a rebound. Wash, rinse, repeat!

The one other thing I did want to say that I find curious is the way we line up at the blue line and let teams rush by us. Then on top of that we let them skate behind the net setting up the pass to the slot. Nobody lets US skate behind their net and I find it throws the goalie off because he has to watch the puck come out from behind and then line up for the one timer. This isn’t easy and so I don’t know why we allow it. Seems strange and I’ve wondered whether we encourage that via the system employed or if the players merely react to it in that way spontaneously. I really like a super aggressive forecheck, force teams to stay in their zone or screw up prior to leaving their zone. Have two guys forecheck hard and angle in to open up center ice with one player back to pick up the outlet pass. Hard to explain but I’d rather that than let the opposing team gain our zone under speed. We have great guys like Chips and Lapierre, Higgins, Koivu etc… who can forecheck hard. Finally we need to finish our checks…we were doing that early on and now it seems to have stopped. When the team is wondering about getting hit they will hurry the pass and make mistakes. The smart players can anticipate the rush pass and intercept.

Anyway I just hope they show up tonight. After yesterdays Toronto drubbing of Tampa I would really be depressed if we got shelled.

Whatever they choose to do tonight I hope they have a good game. Good luck boys. Go Habs Go.

9. joe-hab-nuno says:

Lecavalier, crosby and Ovechkin will be habs……..;)

10. joe-hab-nuno says:

Maybe our Dec23 curse will rid itself this year. Seeing that it came in late Nov this year, maybe Dec 23rd will be the day our misfortunes turn to a winning streak. Just trying to get something positive out of this funk that we’re in.

Fingers crossed!!!!

11. Smart Dog says:

You have to wonder how thick-headed the Canadian coaching staff is. Habs greats, media, experts, and people in this forum all agree on a couple of things, yet we keep shuffling the same pieces around in the same way….

DEAR BOB & GUY,

PLEASE LISTEN!

THE THREE THINGS EVERYONE (but you?) KNOWS!:

Smart Dog

_________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grab-ARF-ski!

12. showey47 says:

why doesn’t carbo try switching koivu and pleky? Its about the only line combo he hasn’t tried yet. This whole dandy thing on the first line, trust me i wish it would work but chances are it won’t.

13. WindsorHab-10 says:

These days the only thing the Canadiens can bottle comes from Boston.

14. Ed says:

If this is how he talks to the players, then it’s no wonder they are not getting the message.

15. Sbah Reverof says:

At the risk of repeating what has become a kind of mantra this season, would it not benefit the team more to stick to their lines come hell or high water, and get used to each other?
    I mean if Dandy does well on the first line, I doubt he will stay there, so why bother?
    By consistently juggling lines, it will only mask weak spots on the team, instead of fixing the stuff that needs fixing.

16. Scotty90 says:

Interesting comments about Boogaard that I found:

One player that Risebrough isn’t interested in moving, is Boogaard. “Boogaard’s a part of the team and he creates a lot of confidence for players,” Risebrough said. “I’d even say, don’t be surprised if Boogey plays more because he’s got the same type of players to play with.”

I guess Montreal management doesn’t think that muscle would help at all…… Too bad Jean Beliveau doesn’t have any say in the matter.

17. sidhu says:

Nice pic – I’m glad that Hockey Night in Canada incorporated that scene into their opening montage.

Lucky Luc wasn’t too lucky during that series!

18. AdamG says:

you know, we drafted Darcy Tucker and he played two years here…but you’re right, as crappy as we are on the ice, we are pure class off it.

19. Bill says:

Nice to see the Habs giving back, especially to the sick kids in hospitals whose hearts they’ve been accused of breaking lately!

One thing about the Canadiens, they always seem like the good guys: Koivu is a prime example of a real Montreal Canadien, a good player, and a good man. I’ve always appreciated that there never seems to be room on the Habs for guys like Avery or Tucker.

20. sidhu says:

According to TSN, Brad Richards is playing tonight:

21. N.B. habs fan 50 yrs says:

joe,I have to agree with you on the allstar thing seems to me they let it go to their heads and we have enough problems now with all these line changes….DOG why dont you send your messages to all the club management mabe they could use someone like you to bring the moral in Montreal…LOL..

22. Gilles Poisson says:

You keep talking to me like that and you’ll never get me in the sack, mustache or no mustache. Thank you.

23. AdamG says:

hope you’re right…though Hamrlik is untradeable for the life of his contract…

of course, Bob could be waiting for Vinny…

24. ZepFan2 says:

Bah, I could care less what happens tonight.

Nothing’s going to ruin my day…Zeppelin’s back!!!

25. Bill says:

What’s the peanut gallery?

26. joe-hab-nuno says:

Oh no not again, the nightmares are gonna come back

27. Moey says:

Thank you very much, he is much cuter.

28. Moey says:

Would you seriously consider changing your pic, it grosses me out to be honest. I can’t look at it. It would be much appreciated.

29. ebk says:

I’m not pompous enough to assume I speak for anyone but myself. I’m not pompous enough to tell anyone what they can post. I’m not pompous enough to tell people who I don’t agree with to leave the site. Basically what I am saying is I only speak for myself, I don’t head an imaginary majority of people.

What I will say is I find your posts quite funny, so keep sticking it to them.

The Peanut Gallery

30. Grabbed The Cup says:

I’ll agree that the forward prospects are severely limited, but teams always need quality defensemen and will often pay a high price to obtain them, this is part of BG’s plan. In 2 or 3 years the Habs will be in a position where they can trade a Markov or Hamrlik for a top flight forward and still ice a team with the likes of Komi, O’Byrne, McDonough, Carle, Valentenko, and Yemelin as their top six D-men.

31. ebk says:

You can’t handle people who disagree with you, so you resort to childish insults, pathetic.

32. Grabbed The Cup says:

Who ever told you that you’re funny? Whomever it is they are wrong. I’m sure you chuckle to yourself after you make one of your idiotic posts, but nobody here with the exception of the peanut gallery is laughing, and FYI, you are exactly what I was refering to as the degradation of HIO, do us all a favor and get lost.

Besides White there is also Ben Maxwell who can really score but he seems to be hurt a lot. It’s still early on both these guys although they’re not that tall, especially White. Richards probably won’t play tonight which is a good thing (as Martha would say).

34. Smart Dog says:

I agree Joe hab. The team needs a good head-shrink. Or even better – a few veteran leaders with their feet on the ground. I like Kovalev’s play lately but he’s a child in a man’s body – he’s a well-known prankster, says the wrong things at the wrong time sometimes. We need some leaders with TWO THINGS: 1) Experience 2) Feet-on-the-ground grit. The only one on the team like that I see is Hamrlik. The team is unbalanced psychologically… like Huet said. Sorry but WE NEED SOME HAMMER-AND-ANVIL, HEART-AND-SOUL CANADIANS ON THIS TEAM. Tons of talent coming up… no grit.

Bob, go to the store and pick up some grits!

_________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grabarfski!

35. Smart Dog says:

I’ll be happy if just ONE player is a Kovalev on this team. And lately that hasn’t been a problem…. Kovi’s been a bright spot.

But the team needs more than steady lines – it needs a system that fits with the style. No team can have 19 Carbo’s on it. With the youngster’s speed and experience at the back, we should be a run-and-gun team. Instead we are sooooo worried the other team might say “boo!” to our goalie that the team falls all over itself trying to crowd it’s own end which messes up everything. And results in crappy defense. Why can’t Carbo see that his overly-defensive viewpoint is hurting both ends. We’re not playing good defense because we’re not playing good puck possession. Then things fall down and everyone gets a little lazy. De-motivated (if you want to get fancy!)

_________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grabarfski!

36. joe-hab-nuno says:

I think it’s bad karma when the hockey world starts noticing the habs. The first time Souray went to the all star game he was having a productive year. After tthe all star game his numbers went down and i beleive he got injured. Last year people started noticing Huet. Same thing happened, he wasn’t as dominating and got injured. Habs got high in the tsn power ranking and sank like the titanic after that. This year, Markov was on fire, they had a good record. Markov started leading defencemen and started to fade in his play. Habs were ranked i beleive 2nd if not third for sure on the power rankings and everything started to fall apart. Please, stop talking about the Habs when they’re plaing well.

37. AdamG says:

A Logan Couture or Brandon Sutter would have looked nice on our depth chart…hopefully this Ryan White kid pans out, because he seems like the closest thing in the organization to a #1 or 2A Centre.

I’m very curious as to what Huet’s and Ryder’s value are out there. I heard a Huet-Ryder-Bouillon for Richards rumour. I have a hard time those three can bring a player of Richards’ pedigree in return.

38. AdamG says:

kind of hard to bring up positives these days. i know Bob McKenzie said he expected the Habs to be very active, possible making a move in the next 10 days. maybe if that comes true we’llsee some new lines..

I feel the same way. One of my concerns about this year’s draft is that it is top heavy with defensemen. I’m well aware of the adage that you always take the best player available but I really hope that we grab a big forward. The way Ryder is playing right now there is no way we are going to get a first round pick for him but we certainly could for Huet when the right time comes around. If we get a solid forward for Huet then that’s great. If not, then our first two picks have to be forwards with size and grit who hopefully have some goal scoring potential. It won’t be easy.

The Original 24 Cups

40. Mike says:

I don’t want to bring up negatives again, BUT untill we get proper lines we will always have 2 bad games and one decent 1.

Personally, I feel sorry for Dandenault and his present plight on the team. He was signed to a long term contract at a reasonable cost to provide leadership (two Cups in Detroit) and fill a unique role of being able to play defense and forward – a skill that Scott Bowman recognized and helped develop. I’m sure that it didn’t hurt that he was French-Canadian and ws happy to move back to Quebec. Dandy hasn’t really fulfilled all of that potential but he still serves a role and is a good team player as well. He skates well, is coachable, and doesn’t back down. It was obvious last year that playing back on defense wasn’t his forte but he is a decent checking right winger for any team’s fourth line. Fine and dandy (sorry). Let’s just not ask him to be something he’s not. Not everyone can be a Kovalev on this team. Different players play different roles based on their talent level and the team’s needs. In my eyes he’s the least of our worries.

The Original 24 Cups

42. Habs_008 says:

he wants Higgy and captain K to play better defensivly. Or he wants to make Higgy and captain K a new Defensive Pair, and then make a first line of Defenseman.

43. AdamG says:

well, you can still do it by drafting well. and the Habs haven’t drafted that well. they’ve been OK. i mean, i love komisarek, higgins, chipchura…but we also need to use our picks to draft dynamic offensive players. but even when we do that, we end up with andrei kostitsyn. he’s just a guy…a borderline 2nd line guy who has shown little progress at the NHL level. go back to ’03 and see who we passed on…david fisher last year…in his second year at U of Minn, not even selected for the US Jr. team–a first-round pick! reports on him have been disappointing. McDonah looks like he’s going to be a good one 3-4 years from now. but i’m sorry…with markov, komisarek, fisher, carle, o’byrne, valentenko, emelin already in the fold and absolutely ZERO prospect depth at centre, the Habs had no business not taking a big Centre with that first pick…i understand the team is building around Price and defense, but at some point, we’ll need some dynamic offensive players. look at Vancouver, essentially the model Montreal is following through goaltending and defense. but even they have the Sedins to power the offense. Jersey, with broderu, neids and stevens, always had dynamic scorers like elias, arnott, gomez…

where’s our offense going to come from?

44. AdamG says:

i would hardly say we’re rebuilding…we’ve shown ZERO growth since the lockout. if anything, we’ve gotten worse. we keep getting younger…higgins, komisarek, plekanec, latendresse, chipchura, o’byrne, lapierre, price, halak, kostitsyn…we’ve added all of these solid talents to the lineup since the lockout and haven’t improved one iota since the days of joe juneau and andreas dackell and stephane quintal…there’s something wrong there, because these players just keep getting better and better.

the scariest thing is that aside from SK, there’s ZERO offensive help on the horizon…pacioretty is 3 years away. ryan white? another 2-3 years away. how is it that we never manage to draft guys like patrice bergeron, zach parise or paul stastny?

bah. for this team to be successful, they need to bring a serious work ethic, like we saw early in the season. when this team isn’t plugging for 60 minutes, forget it. and it doesn’t seem as though they’re willing to do that anymore, so Carbo will need to pull some rabbits out of his a$$…

Toronto has suffered from the same problem over the years. Hometown fans (and maybe even management) are too close to the team to make an objective assessment of the talent on the team and the direction it may be going in during the next few years. It would be very interesting to hear what some other hockey people (outside of Montreal) really think about the skill level and potential for each of our players. Do they see us as a team that is truly on the rise or are we merely spinning our wheels and languishing in the middle of the pack? It’s difficult for us to comment on that because we struggle to be objective seeing we have an emotional attachment to the team.
    As I mentioned in an earlier post yesterday, is Carbo really that bad a coach or do we presently not have the proper talent to move up into the upper tier of the NHL standings? Sometimes it’s difficult to get a clear perspective on these issues.

The Original 24 Cups

46. Gilles Poisson says:

Mon Dieu he has change his name again! But I see from your nice mustache that it is you, hockey analyst Mr. Grabs. First you are grabbed the cup, then GTC, then Grabs, then Herbie the Love Bug (my favourite), then Grabs again, now Grabbed the Cup again. Before when you were picking fights and insulting all the other posters, as you are doing now, and the nice people were making a monkey of you, you would cry Help me! Mr. Stubb, help me! The trolls! We must have registration to stop the trolls changing their name. And now you have change 5 times. What are you running from Mr Grabs?
    Now that you have started your usual garbage, you will make your big prepared speech about our tedious, sarcastic posts, which you never miss.
    I’m sure it will be fascinating, and oh so serious and intelligent, but now I must go bowling with Madame Poisson. Thank you.

47. mjames says:

Instead of complaining about the whiners, lunitics, losers (such as myself) maybe you could provide some “intelligent discussion and analysis”. Maybe your friend Grab the Cup could help. I look forward to reading your comments. You have the floor.

mjames

48. joe-hab-nuno says:

it’s a jekyl and hyde comment

49. Smart Dog says:

This argument is like putting broccoli in cookies to make them healthier.

But at least there’s method behind the madness…. but really:
    1. Dandenault is a -6. Not exactly “Mr D”
    2. Can’t we have just ONE scoring line.
    3. What about puck possession? THAT’S how winning teams forward lines keep the other team from scoring.

_________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grabarfski!

50. joe-hab-nuno says:

one of the problems is he thinks we’re palying defensively or has been preaching defence. It’s been how many years that these coaches we’ve had of been stressing a defensive system. How many defensive systems allows 30-40 shots per game.

51. RiverviewCanadien says:

hey some fans have not given up, read my post…I am not whining either…

Agreed. Sometimes I feel like I’m back in grade 6 and we have a supply teacher for the day. Mayhem reigns supreme. I feel I have a pretty good sense of humour but …..

The Original 24Cups

53. joe-hab-nuno says:

I’m going to stop having nightmares now :)

54. Grabbed The Cup says:

The Canadiens have never implemented a true rebuilding phase, where they trade all their established assets for youth and picks, the city would never tolerate it.

55. mjames says:

The following Carbo quote is from Pat Hickey’s column. Does anyone know what he is talking about?

“We’ve been thinking (about using Dandenault) even before that game,” Carbonneau said. “We’re trying to change the chemistry on that line. Sometimes, you think about scoring and you push too hard or you make mistakes defensively. Hockey’s not just about scoring. You have to play well defensively first and, by doing that, you create offence, and we hope that’s what Mathieu’s going to bring with Higgy and Saku.”

mjames

56. Smart Dog says:

It was pretty twisted. I couldn’t resist – but even I HAD to stop looking at it.
    _________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grabarfski!

57. Smart Dog says:

It would be great for Gainey to admit this. If they came out this year and said “we think we have a pretty good team, but we are really excited about our direction – and we need to spend the year sorting out our strengths and our needs” then we could better understand. But they’ve left our expectations too high – and not done a good job of communicating the big picture. I say this for the fans – but maybe that’s internal too, and how the players feel. I hate it every time some Hab acts confused or talks about how the team is not good. Would love to hear them say “we are working on this and it’s taking some time but we see it coming together”. I guess they don’t (see it coming together). Which is back to leadership. Coaching? Or GM? Or on ice?

_________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grabarfski!

58. Grabbed The Cup says:

Much better avatar, that last one looked like the love child of some pervert and his pet doberman.

59. The Cat says:

Of course the habs are in a rebuilding phase. I never expected them to make the playoffs this year. They’ll be good to contend in about 2 years thats if they can get some SIZE up the middle.

60. Bill H says:

So true Grabbed the Cup. I am all for intelligent discussion and analysis. But if this continues, I am looking for another Habs web page. The posts below do not constitute intelligent discussion. It is just mindless (and seemingly endless) putdowns and whining.

61. Grabbed The Cup says:

First off my ‘lunatics’ remark was not aimed at you, it’s directed at the perpetually negative posters that have been waiting for a bad patch like this to crawl out of the woodwork and declare ‘I knew it all along’.

62. jibberjabber says:

Yeah well when you have defencemen playing the 1st line you learn not to expect too much.

Carbo is lost in space.

63. Smart Dog says:

I wasn’t. Your grammar is fine. Let’s not talk punctuation though…

Hey – I’m just kidding. It’s a slow news day here in Hab-land. Habs confused, Habs fans confused. Really, our hands are tied. After so many changes and ups and downs, all we can do is wait and ride this out. Not much fun in that unless we win a coupla games here and there. Let’s hope tonight, eh?

64. Grabbed The Cup says:

Bad form to criticize grammar on any chat site, you should know that, but then again even a smart dog is not very bright by human standards.

65. Smart Dog says:

I mean “too”. see!

66. Smart Dog says:

Yes, and what’s worse, the spelling goes to. Apparantely.

67. Grabbed The Cup says:

Apparantely as the Habs fortunes go, so goes the quality of posts here at HIO, the lunatics have taken over the assylum.

68. Grabbed The Cup says:

There’s something I’ve never seen before, a fish with a pet dog.

Fish just spoke… c’mon boy, jump! Good boy ebk, good boy.

69. J.T. says:

I find it very indicative of Habs’ fans’ general state of mind these days that we’re looking with dread at a team that got trounced by the leafs last night. We’re expecting the Lightning…worst road team in the league…to come out on fire against the Habs to avenge last night’s loss. Yet, if the Habs had lost 6-1 in the first of back-to-back games on the road, we’d be expecting them to completely collapse in the second game. If the team has as little confidence in itself as the fans have in it, it’s no wonder they’re playing like a bunch of peewees.

70. Mike says:

halak, ryder, georges, lattendresse, stret, 1st round pick, 2008 2nd round pcik 2009.

for

ovechkin, laich, 4th round 2009, erskin

71. Gilles Poisson says:

You sure spend a lot of time on things that bore you. And please don’t start with the troll insanity. A troll to you is anyone who doesn’t like you. That makes for a lot of trolls. Time for the game now. Bye Bye. Thank you.

72. Grabbed The Cup says:

Don’t be fooled, your garbage has been recognized by many of us here. You are a former troll back to spew your mindless BS. Quite frankly, you bore the hell out of me.

73. Bouleau noir says:

The peculiaritys of a given roster should dictate the nature of the system by which they will play as a team,… erring away from such would be inneficient and a waste of players energys.

In my book Julien did just that with the CH roster he had in his hand during the pre-lock-out year,… and not renewing that system when a much altered roster playing in altered NHL was calling for it.. is the reason why he got fired.

When Gainey took the coaching job on the fly he altered Julien’s system and the team’s performances were much better after that point.

Gainey’s system was a close approximation of Buffalo’s own,… speed, agressive puck pursuit and forecheking were the new alphabets while the new line composition had him spread the scoring elements on 3 line with the fourth one acting as an ” energy line “,… so no waste of time here with a useless ”checking” line.

In my book, neither Julien nor Carbo has succeeded in creating the costum made system that our roster needed in order to performed at their best,… based on our experience with Gainey as a coach I cannot be helped by wishing he would take over once again.

74. ebk says:

could not have said it better myself. Can’t believe I actually reduced myself to his level.

75. Gilles Poisson says:

Please Mr.Grabs. Wont you give it a rest? There is a game on tonight. Come on over to Boones blog but please try to be civilized. You’ve made your points. My posts are idiotic. They aren’t funny. Im a hypocrite. Anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot. EBK is a knob. We are lunatics who crawled out of the woodwork. We get it. You’re the best Mr Grabs. Thank you.

76. joe-hab-nuno says:

Instead of these veterans saying they can do it, they’re saying we can’t do it we have to find other ways.

77. mjames says:

I had the same thought when I read the article. When I found more insulting was Carbo’s quote in the same columun.

What does this mean?

mjames

78. Smart Dog says:

FROM THIS MORNING’S GAZETTE:

How come half the team you hear this team talking it’s about what they CAN’T do? This drives me crazy. And this “chip and chase” game is the reason they lose so much. NO PUCK POSSESSION. Maybe guys like Dandenault can’t string three passes together or break through the D, but Plekanic can. Higgins can. Kostitsyn can… all when they are on their game. And it’s BS comments like this that drag the team down. Imagine being an up and coming forward and hearing that?? Crazy stupid. That’s what this team is CRAZY STUPID…. crazy because they don’t have a handle on their mental game.. and stupid, because it’s stupid in this day with all the resources they have to not have a handle on their mental game.

79. Smart Dog says:

Let’s hope they make a bigger effort to hang on to the puck tonight. All this stuff about “give 100%”…blah, blah, blah. They need to give 100% to controlling the puck. That’s what they need to give 100% to. If I want dump-and-chase, I’ll watch the Hockey Network’s “best of the 80′s”. This team really does suck. The problem is they don’t have to…. some talented young players. But I am seriously thinking of following Ottawa or the Pens instead.

80. Smart Dog says:

81. Smart Dog says:

Bob – come out and admit it! This is a REBUILDING YEAR!!! It has to be. Think of the long-term good because the short-term good isn’t getting any better. Trade away anyone over 30 who is worth a good return. And build around Higgins, Pleks, the Kostitysns, and your D and goal-tending.

I would trade Markov and Koivu for a 40-goal scorer who is strong on the plus side.

82. Mike says:

no. we can not trade markov. if we trade anyone it would be streit, or boullion

83. linp says:

Here are some thoughts just before tonight’s game:

Komisarek talked a lot recently. If he still makes that mistake during PK and gives up a goal, I’ll call him out and give him shit every day.
    We need to leave Ryder alone. It is obvious that the more he is in the spot light, the worse is his play.
    Both Carbo and Koivu seemed to be quite calm after last loss. Don’t tell me they both have given up. It won’t be fair to us all. I have a bad feeling :(

84. JF says:

Lately I’ve been watching the first ten minutes. By that time I can tell whether they’re in it or whether they’ve simply not shown up. If the latter, I turn it off in disgust. Except Saturday’s game against Carolina. I was at that game and had to sit through the whole sorry performance.

Comments on this site are down lately. People are getting really fed up and. after seven terrible games out of the last ten, have little to say and perhaps less interest in saying it.

85. Smart Dog says:

Yeah, it’s a tight rope being a habs fan. Sometimes I listen to it on the radio just because it’s easier to hear them f-up then to see them f-up.

86. joe-hab-nuno says:

Watching the habs recently is like my golf game. If i play my game or play better i want to throw a party. If i had a bad game, i’m in a terrible mood almost all day. That’s why i had to stop playing golf towards the end of the season.
    Here’s to clearing my mind during the off season and hoping to get my game under the 10 handicap i know i’m capble of, even a 7 or 8. Just like my habs, well actually i would have been able to beat Kovie on their pre-season golf tourneament. ;)

87. RiverviewCanadien says:

The Habs better be damn hungry for a win tonight!!!

88. joe-hab-nuno says:

Up really early this morning and i get a virgin page to write on. It’s like winning a radio contest. It sucks that we have to face a team that got beat badly the day before by the leafs. TB will be hungry for a win after a loss like that.

89. RiverviewCanadien says:

Ok being a Montreal fan has to be “nail-biting” or else I do not think I would enjoy it as much, but lately I am running out of nails here. Most Detroit fans don’t even watch half the games anymore because they know the out come before puck drop. If the HABS went on a crazy winning streak, would it be that exciting to watch them? I am not so sure I would, but I know I am not enjoying them lose so much. Being a habs fan must be exciting (that’s what Montreal is all about), a good old spanking IS nice to see once in a while (7-4 over BOS was a great game), but I do like the 1 and 2 goal victories and hey throw in a shut out once in a while. The point I am trying to make is, hey look at the passion everyone is carrying on this site, we are not out of playoffs yet, and to be a habs fan, you have to deal with the stress that comes along with it. Lets stop bashing these guys for a little bit, because tonight marks a new beginning for them, a winning streak….everyone now
    GO HABS GO
    GO HABS GO
    GO HABS GO

90. ccs says:

After Tampa got hammered by the Leafs last night I am pretty sure that they will show up for tonights game…And the best player in the league will put on a show for the home town fans. I know that Tampa has a brutal road record but if we come out like most nights then we may as well mail them the 2 points and call it a game…..frustrated habs fan. go team go.

91. POPS says:

TB looked awful last night and Montreal should crush them tonight. I live in Toronto so I hope the Habs don’t blow it!The Lecavalier rumours are going wild here, anything in Montreal?

92. Smart Dog says:

I heard Lecalvalier was house-hunting in Point-St-Charles.

93. Smart Dog says:

Streit wouldn’t bring much, Boullion a little. My point is – this team needs a 40-goal scorer… Markov would be a huge price, but worth it. With Hamrlik to lead and teach and Komiserik, we could still build out. You gotta give to get – that’s this team’s problem… they try to give up nothing and hope to get something good in return.

94. joe-hab-nuno says:

it means he doesn’t know what he is talking about.

95. cautiousoptimist says:

From Hickey’s column:

“We’re going back to basics,” Dandenault said. “With the exception of (Alex Kovalev), we don’t have guys who can stickhandle through the defence. We have to chip the puck in and go after it. That’s our game.”

ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! That is not your game! Or if it is, it isn’t working! For the love of Pete, stop it!

96. Smart Dog says:

I was howling about this earlier. All these finesse players and they’re playing dump and chase. That seems to be how you beat Boston but talented teams are playing puck possession and spanking our asses. It’s like Carbo’s expectations have fallen. Sad. There’s the puck guys! Fetch! ARGGGGHHH…

Notice how guys like Plekanic and Kostitsyn score their goals from nice passing plays? Talented guys like that must have to practice on their own after hours.

_________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grabarfski!

97. Smart Dog says:

Should I watch the game? Is it worth it? Really hard call to make. I guess I’ll watch – for the VL show.

98. joe-hab-nuno says:

I’m also trying to figure out if i should watch the game too. I have 12 hours to decide. If i watch and they play like juniors i’ll be bitter for 1 day and 1/2. If they win i’ll be happy only if they played hard.

99. joe-hab-nuno says:

I have to say it smartdog, That is a really disburing profile pic you have…lol.