Can Canadiens bottle Lightning?

Canadiens’ Steve Bégin, Mike Komisarek and Roman Hamrlik visit with patient Sara Levitt during the team’s annual visit to the Montreal Children’s Hospital.
John Morstad, Gazette

The Canadiens have been struggling at home this season, but it may not matter when they entertain the Tampa Bay Lightning tonight.

With a 5-6-3 record at the Bell Centre, home ice has been anything but an advantage for the Canadiens. But if the Habs have been bad at home, the Lightning has been awful on the road. Tampa Bay has the worst road record in the National Hockey League – 2-11-1 – after losing 6-1 in Toronto last night.

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey sets up tonight’s game, while reporter Stephanie Myles shares the warmth of the Canadiens’ 42nd annual visit to two Montreal children’s hospitals yesterday.

1. Bouleau noir says:

The peculiaritys of a given roster should dictate the nature of the system by which they will play as a team,… erring away from such would be inneficient and a waste of players energys.

In my book Julien did just that with the CH roster he had in his hand during the pre-lock-out year,… and not renewing that system when a much altered roster playing in altered NHL was calling for it.. is the reason why he got fired.

When Gainey took the coaching job on the fly he altered Julien’s system and the team’s performances were much better after that point.

Gainey’s system was a close approximation of Buffalo’s own,… speed, agressive puck pursuit and forecheking were the new alphabets while the new line composition had him spread the scoring elements on 3 line with the fourth one acting as an ” energy line “,… so no waste of time here with a useless ”checking” line.

In my book, neither Julien nor Carbo has succeeded in creating the costum made system that our roster needed in order to performed at their best,… based on our experience with Gainey as a coach I cannot be helped by wishing he would take over once again.

2. ebk says:

again with the insults, LOL

3. Grabbed The Cup says:

If you open your friggin eyes you’d see it has nothing to do with a disagreement, it has everything to do with you jumping in every time I have to defend myself from fish’s BS. You’ve done it many times already, I now expect you to chime in with your two cents whenever I’m involved with that twit, you are the pathetic one little dog.

4. ebk says:

You can’t handle people who disagree with you, so you resort to childish insults, pathetic.

5. Grabbed The Cup says:

There’s something I’ve never seen before, a fish with a pet dog.

Fish just spoke… c’mon boy, jump! Good boy ebk, good boy.

6. Gilles Poisson says:

You sure spend a lot of time on things that bore you. And please don’t start with the troll insanity. A troll to you is anyone who doesn’t like you. That makes for a lot of trolls. Time for the game now. Bye Bye. Thank you.

7. Grabbed The Cup says:

Don’t be fooled, your garbage has been recognized by many of us here. You are a former troll back to spew your mindless BS. Quite frankly, you bore the hell out of me.

8. ebk says:

could not have said it better myself. Can’t believe I actually reduced myself to his level.

9. Gilles Poisson says:

Please Mr.Grabs. Wont you give it a rest? There is a game on tonight. Come on over to Boones blog but please try to be civilized. You’ve made your points. My posts are idiotic. They aren’t funny. Im a hypocrite. Anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot. EBK is a knob. We are lunatics who crawled out of the woodwork. We get it. You’re the best Mr Grabs. Thank you.

10. Grabbed The Cup says:

Hypocrite.

11. Gilles Poisson says:

Im not sure what “Excruciantingly” is supposed to mean but I’d just let it go EBK. He trolls for fights then wants you to respond so he can cry to the moderators. Pretty sad really.

12. ebk says:

Then I apologize for ruining your fine site, sir. I aspire to be a true hab fan like yourself. I also aspire to put the anal in hockey analyst as you do.

13. Gilles Poisson says:

Thank you mjames I have always enjoyed your posts as well. I admire how you stick to the high road. It’s hard to do with people like Mr. Grabs around. I hate to indulge him whenever he comes looking for a fight but it had to be said. Hopefully he will be on better behaviour from now on and HIO will be a better place. Thank you.

14. cautiousoptimist says:

I’m a pretty optimistic guy, but even I find it a little hard to get excited about a defenceman on the top line… Where are you Sergei?!

15. Grabbed The Cup says:

Funny how the three of you (fish, mjames, and yourself) knew who I was talking about, kudos for identifying yourselves boys! Let’s see if the last couple of members chime in…

16. Smart Dog says:

The chicken and egg question…. I think you need to not just have the system but know that you have the right players for it, so I would think the system almost comes first. But with a team of good talent you also adapt your system somewhat to their skills and strengths – and even how they like to play.

About the other question above – Gainey doesn’t need to mortgage the future to get a 40 goal-scorer (assuming he can find one one the market). We have a few quite strong veterans, deep goaltending AND a lot of young prospects. You either put together a Koivu-Huet-strong_prospect package…. or you trade Huet and Koivu (or Kovalev, or ??) for strong prospects to people needing experience for a play-off run, and then you have so many good prospects on this team you can afford to trade a couple. The fact is we do have the depth right now in assets – which we haven’t for awhile – but it needs to be used smartly. I have to say I love Bob G mostly, but some of his trades… dunno. It’s great he went after Smyth and Briere – it shows he’s looking for a slam-dunk winner and not a maybe. The Hammer too – great signing. So I’m hopeful.

_________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grabarfski!