Campoli has confidence in NHLPA’s Fehr

Fehrweb
 Chris Campoli won’t be back with the Canadiens next season, but the defenceman does have confidence in Donald Fehr, the executive director of the NHLPA, in negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement.
“There’s no one more qualified to be doing what he’s doing,” Campoli told The Associated Press. “He’s the best in the world.”
Buffalo Sabres goalie Ryan Miller told AP: “The last thing (we) need to do is have some kind of a work stoppage, because we’ve made great strides with the positive spin hockey’s had. I think the years coming out of the (2004-05) lockout, we got a lot of the fan base back, a lot of positive energy. Mix that with the Olympics here in North America, a couple of good playoffs, and we have a fan base that’s loyal and, honestly, the best sports fans out of any sport.
“We can’t alienate them. This is up to the NHL and the NHLPA to just get it right.”

The current CBA is set to expire on Sept. 15. Read more by clicking here.

(AP Photo/Jason DeCrow)

1. Un Canadien errant says:

What’s worse for an NFL player, working in Buffalo, Cincinnati, not playing at all, or Seattle? Because those are the stops Terrell Owens has made the last four seasons. Yes, he has just signed a one-year contract and will try to make the Seahawks’ roster.

Seattle is an awesome town, but it’s the boondocks for an NFL’er it seems, they have trouble retaining their players and attracting free agents. There was hope that Pete Carroll would change this, but the team seems at a standstill.

In my mind, anything is better than playing for Mike Brown’s Bengals, or being unemployed, so let’s hope T.O. can keep his mouth shut and play and appreciate what he has, finally. He went through some dark times recently after being released from an Arena League team, I was actually concerned for him, let’s hope this turns it around for him.

———————————————————————–
    This isn’t “Billionaires vs. Millionaires.” Only a willfully uninformed fool would apply that sloppy shorthand designation to this disgraceful power grab crafted by some of the wealthiest individuals and corporate entities in North America aimed against professional athletes.–Larry Brooks of the New York Post

Is it really that bad Normand? I recall in the late 80s and early 90′s when I lived in B.C. and the Seahawks were all the rage, loudest stadium in the leagues, sellouts every game. I do think the franchise has had a dropoff, but I wouldn’t yet put them in the category of Cincinnati. Buffalo has its shortcomings, but still a very supportive fanbase.

• Un Canadien errant says:

The stadium and the organization is top-notch, but a lot of players who went to SEC schools or played high school ball in Texas would prefer being in Jacksonville or Tennesse to Seattle it seems. You hear complaints that it’s ‘far’, they’re like the Canucks of the NFL, they have to fly the most of any team, and family has a harder time seeing them play.

I completely agree that Seattle is a much better situation than the Bengals, with their tightwad clown of an owner.

My interest was piqued by the progression though: from the Bills to the Bengals to out of football to the Seahawks. It seemed he was on a downward trajectory, and now that he’s a Seahawk, does that make it the last stop, below even the Bengals and unemployment? I don’t think so, but it was kind of amusing and noteworthy I thought.

I see your point UCe, I too was surprised they signed him, it does have a smell of desperation. Owens flat out has dropped balls for many years now and his speed is no longer what it once was. I suspect the Head Coach in Seattle feels he can be the one to turnaround Terrell. If I was a Seahawk fan i wouldn’t be too excited, the guy seems to be more distraction than help whereever he has gone.

Thanks for your explanation, makes sense to me bud. :)

• habsfan0 says:

I just saw a clip of Owens working out for the Seahawks, and he is in phenomenal shape, particularly for a 38 year old.

Might that have something to do with the fact he’s such a narcicist?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Remember the clash he had with Eagles coach Andy Reid over the team’s refusal to let him wear spandex pants, and insisting that he wear shorts at practice? Coach Reid rightly told him nobody needs to see that, but T.O. wanted to, ahem, show off.

There’s also a cringe-inducing video that NFL Films produced, where Steve Sabol is doing a profile of various NFL stars. When he’s interviewing Terrell Owens, Mr. Sabol is seated in a director’s chair, they’re in a studio, but T.O. is standing, wearing spandex and bare-chested and beaming. If I had been Steve Sabol I wouldn’t have continued with the interview, I would have insisted that he don proper attire, but I guess he read the situation right, and realized that the footage would ‘expose’ T.O. as the unbalanced narcissist that he is.

If you click on the second link in my original post, it’s to an exposé on Terrell and his mental state this spring as he played for his Arena League team. The author is as surprised as the reader at some of the dark thoughts that T.O. freely shares, over his career and financial situation and legal troubles regarding his child support obligations.

So yeah, narcissism, and a bunch of other issues make T.O. a pretty fragile guy, despite the big personality.

It’s never affected his conditioning though, and as you point out, maybe the excessive self-regard contributes to his phenomenal condition. Heck, I didn’t look that good at 38.

• habsfan0 says:

I guess TO subscribes to the theory that,if you have it,you may as well flaunt it.

You and I share the same opinion of T.O. UCe. When you are one of the top receivers in the league you get some leeway. Now that his game has dropped off significantly the leeway is gone. I will be surprised if he is a member of the Seahawks by the midway point of the season. However, Pete Carroll has turned around receivers careers before, but not at the current age of Terrell.

• habsfan0 says:

I have no idea how TO’s experience with the Seahawks will eventually work out. But,I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt,simply because any individual who keeps himself in that good shape obviously has a disciplined mind, which should augur well for any endeavour he chooses to partake in.

• habstrinifan says:

I think HabinBurlington may be wrong re his speed declining. I didnt pay full attention to the radio report but I think one of the reasons cited for signing him wa sthe fact that he did some amazingly fast times in the sprint tests.

Still, unless he has changed a lot, I cant see him overcoming the personality issues which always seem to work against his play.

To Habfano. Maybe an obsessive mind is more what he has, rather than a disciplined mind.

• twilighthours says:

Its hard to imagine preferring Cincinnati or Houston to Seattle. But then I’m a vegetarian hippy mountain ocean outdoorsy type.

Were i a professional athlete, I would sacrifice significant $$ for the right city.

2. commandant says:

steffeG: Sebastian Collberg is not with the Swedish U20 in Lake Placid, but is healthy again and practicing with Frölunda.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

3. Un Canadien errant says:

We talked about the progress of the Roberto Luongo trade negotiations yesterday on HIO.

NHL.com has more:

Gillis is looking for what he believes is a fair market deal, and he told NHL.com that any trade involving Luongo will change the Canucks’ depth chart at both the NHL level and the prospect level.

“We’re listening,” Gillis said. “We have been listening to teams that are interested in acquiring him. If we get what we think the value is there we’ll trade him. I don’t have a timetable. In fact, in hockey things can change in five minutes with one phone call. It’s unrealistic to put a timetable on it.”

4. Un Canadien errant says:

From CSN Philadelphia:

But to blame confidence as the sole reason for his 3.46 GAA and .887 save percentage in the postseason, when real stars are made, is a stretch.

The ability to perform in the clutch is an entirely separate talent, and based on his career numbers, Bryzgalov doesn’t have it.

In the last three years in the regular season his GAA stands at 2.41 with a save percentage of .918. In the playoffs, it’s drastically worse: 3.61 and .892.

———————————————————————–

• habsfan0 says:

Interesting. Do you have similar stats on Carey Price?

• Un Canadien errant says:

I edited the post and clarified that these aren’t my comments, just an excerpt from the linked article.

Hate to dissappoint you but last time Price was in the playoffs his stats improved from reg. season to playoffs. 2.35 gaa reg. season 2.11 in playoffs. .916 save percent reg. .934 in playoffs.

Edit: sorry reg. season save pct. was .923

• habsfan0 says:

Thanks,Gerry. But you neglected to mention that in 26 career playoff starts,Price’s record is 8-15, which is definitely worse than his career regular season performances percentage wise.

• Mark C says:

Your comeback is the use a team stat? Weak sauce.

So you really didn’t then want your question answered, because i provided similar comparable stats as you requested. Next time just flat out say you think Price sucks, makes it easier to know your perspective. ;-)

• habsfan0 says:

ALL goalie stats have something to do with team play, one way or another, with the exception of a goalie’s save percentage in the shootout.

• habsfan0 says:

When did I say..or imply for that matter, that Price sucks?

I merely posted his career playoff stats.

Interpret that as you may.

• boing007 says:

With some people, habsfan, Price’s stats don’t count at all. They are not real, they are a figment of our imagination. An abstraction. Ken Dryden has six Stanley Cup rings and his name is rarely, if ever, mentioned on this site. Two for each hand and two to plug up his ears. Beat that, Mr. Price.

Richard R
            Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• English is not a Crime says:

You neglected to admit that Price’s stats in his last playoff run were much better than Halak’s in the playoff run that had you and the others proclaiming him as good as Patrick Roy in his prime. Perfect avatar to attach to a post like that.

• habsfan0 says:

When did I say that Halak was as good as Roy in his prime??

But never let the FACTS get in the way of your posts.

Your non-factual assertions go very well with your non-existent avatar, by the way.

5. Mick says:

Is it true that Boone is hanging up his HIO involvement?
    He is really the reason this site is worth coming to and of course all the great comments + ” Timo” and “Bellyfull”.
    Hope it is not true.

• Un Canadien errant says:

So if you did a Venn Diagram on the reasons you visit HIO, one set would be Mike Boone, another would be “all the great comments”, and another distinct, separate set would be Timo and John Bellyfull?

That’s pretty harsh on those two fellas, dude.

———————————————————————–

• HardHabits says:

The Gazette is buying him out as their league of writers is contracting. We might see Boone in the minors playing for the Inter-city Bloggers. Or maybe Boone might get into coaching. They are teams of trolls that could benefit from his expertise in the provocative baiting of heated responses.

• Mick says:

What??? They are letting him go or is he tired of the Gazette or worse “US”.

• HabFab says:

The owners of the Gazette are cutting out 23 (?) writers. Where possible they did retirements, so Boone is unfortunately retiring come months end.
          As for US, as a long time liberal don’t think Boone was that fond of that country :)

• punkster says:

Hey HH, this could be the career boost you’re been seeking. You could work for Boone teaching the art of < HH Troll Baiting 101 > ™ and graduate courses in < Water Pistol Fights For Supremacy 201 >™

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• habsfan0 says:

Rumour has it that Boone is moving to Toronto, where he’ll host a similar site for the Leafs,calling it: “Loserssince1967insideout”.

He may have some trouble from the Leafs on the title though, akin to Molson & Company ordering the Gazette to refrain from using “habsinsideout”.

6. rhino514 says:

Webber and Diaz are the kinds of players who establish themselves once they no longer play in a pressure boiler -kids with raw skill but who need coddling and to be let loose once in a while. I think if they are traded, 50/50 they become good Dmen elsewhere (I´d say Diaz over 50(50, Webber somewhat under 50/50)
    I still think if properly handled one of them can be a good bottom pairing guy and specialist with us. But having Kaberle to tempt the coach for minutes makes it more difficult.

On a completely different note, it occured to me that having Kaberle AND Markov I think makes it very likely that the team will be among the league´s best in PP%. I am one of those who hate Kaberle´s contract, but, hey, as long as he is on the team, isn´t it going to be sweet having two guys like that alternate on the PP? I also think Subban and Webber, who I find very iffy at even strength, complement the two vets nicely. No harm in maximizing Kabs strengths until the trade deadline, if he can´t be unloaded prior to then.
    The habs are one of those teams who rely on the PP somewhat more than other teams, I find.

• commandant says:

I just think that Weber/Diaz are redundant. They are very similar players and both can only play RD.

You can’t line up Subban, Diaz, Weber as your three RDs. It has no balance. You need a defensive crease clearing type to go with the all around player (Subban) and one of the puck moving D.

I’d pick which one is better… to me its Diaz… and trade the other guy, as with all the D in our prospect pool, someone’s gotta go.

Get either a LW prospect, a goalie prospect, or a draft pick in return.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

7. commandant says:

FIFA is investigating yesterday’s game

Are they investigating the crappy reffing? Nope, not at all.

They are investigating the post game comments of Canadian players Christine Sinclair, Melissa Tancredi, and the Head Coach John Herdman among others and deciding if they should suspend them for the bronze medal match.

Absolute B.S.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• habsfan0 says:

I think Canada should play the Bronze medal game, but if they win, they should all decline the medals as a form of protest.

• HabFab says:

One of the hockey bloggers twittering the President of FIFA Sepp Blatter

saskhab . @SeppBlatter Rather than suspend any members of #CanWNT you should just kick our country out of FIFA. No point being associated with it.

• NCRhabsfan says:

The question is, who is investigating FIFA? They’re the ones who somehow selected a woefully incompetent referee who then predictably crashed and burned on the international stage. That’s bad enough. If they suspend Sinclair before the bronze metal game, maybe it is time to investigate FIFA. It’s not like they haven’t had fixing problems before.

If Sinclair is suspended, I think Canada should suspend FIFA; what’s good for the goose is good for the gander. 1 year all FIFA products, broadcasts, promotions, endorsements and events. No FIFA in Canada until say, the next Olympics. We may be insignificant players on the world soccer stage, but we are a relatively big, untapped lucrative market. Hit him where they hurt, no money for you!

• jedimyrmidon says:

Interestingly enough, the FIFA article calls the gold medal game against Japan the “Dream Final”. So people are unmistakably invested in this matchup.

Also read an article in the New York Times that would indicate that the American team is a media darling just like their female gymnasts, and how it might be the most supported American Olympic team at the games. It also mentions how the players were happy to learn that they were on prime time NBC. So you have the American public, NBC and FIFA who are all happy with the end result.

A loss to Canada appears that it would have had some pretty severe repercussions to ratings, to the “natural order of things” and to their egos. I guess I didn’t realize to what extent.

8. Mattyleg says:

Hey all,
    Not been around much; was camping in the Rockies over the weekend. Absolutely beautiful.

Hey Timo, I’m in Cowtown until next Tuesday if you fancy having a jar…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

9. Steeltown Hab says:

Who scores more goals this year, Matt D’agostini or Latendresse?

———————————

Lars, PK, Pac, Emelin, LL – @J_Perez22

10. Steeltown Hab says:

Who scored more goals this year, Matt D’agostini or Latendresse?

———————————

Lars, PK, Pac, Emelin, LL – @J_Perez22

11. ed lopaz says:

without looking up the answer try and guess how many players scored 20 or more goals last year in the NHL?

if we assume that virtually no 4th line forward is going to score 20 or more goals, and virtually no d-man will do it, that leaves us with 3 lines of forwards or 9 players per team.

9 players per team multiplied by 30 teams is 270 potential scorers.
    of those 270, would you believe 101 scored more than 20 goals??

• shiram says:

About a 100?

• ed lopaz says:

yes. very good Shiram. Now how many of those 101 players are making 3.5 million or more??

Because that’s what AK is expecting at the very least. Probably over 4 million.

if you check out the list there are a ton of young guys scoring in the NHL today – much more then ever before.

That’s why he hasn’t been signed.

Because AK is viewed as a selfish player who only tries when he wants to, teams are left to consider his 20 goals as his only consistently positive contribution.

Once AK is stripped down to his 20 goals, teams are having a hard time justifying paying him 4 million.

I’m sure he has received lower offers, like 2 or 2.5 million for 1 season, and he has probably turned them down.

Not sure why he doesn’t go to the KHL where he could be a big star??

he could probably double his salary in the KHL over the next 5 seasons.

• shiram says:

There are question marks on AK46, but 100 player scoring 20+ goals does not take him ouf of a job, even just counting the wingers, the NHL needs 120 players for the top 6 lines, and as we just learned, only 100 score 20+ goals.
          I still think AK46 will stay in the NHL, he could get a deal around 3 millions, like his brother got.

Saw you added to your post, so I’ll add to mine! AK played alot of years in North America, I’m sure by now he is comfortable here, and maybe he even prefers it here. He also brings a physical presence with a good number of hits per season. I don’t think money is such an issue for him, I’ve heard numerous times he comes from a wealthy family.

• ed lopaz says:

he made more than 3 million last year. I doubt he was hoping to lower his salary going into free agency. that’s my point. that’s why he is not signed, because he will have to lower his salary expectations.

• shiram says:

There’s still alot of time for teams to sign and with the remaining UFA’s I’m sure AK is on a number of team’s list, they are probably waiting to see where Doan signs.
            I’d rather the Habs go after AK than say Huselius, and apart from Arnott there are not many other UFA that can help a team’s top 6.

• jon514 says:

Just some food for thought:

AK46 has epilepsy and Montreal is home to some of the best neurologists in the world when it comes to treating it. Before moving to Montreal he wasn’t even receiving proper treatment.

Quebec is also pretty tolerant of epileptics driving, but in some parts of the US and Canada, AK wouldn’t even be issued a license.

I don’t believe he is all about the money… I think Andrei’s life turned around for the better when he landed in Montreal and he was willing to take a home team discount to prove it.

I’d like to see him back with the CH, but I think he would end up MT’s punching bag.

“This Team is Less than the sum of it’s parts while Gomez is one of those parts.”

• twilighthours says:

Now that is some speculation .

Looking at that picture of Fehr and some NHLPA ilk. Sleazeball upon sleazeball.
    I don’t understand how professional hockey players can inspire anyone anymore.

13. habs11s says:

Markham Coyotes? I love it already…

_____________________________________________________________

@TorontoHabsFan, here is a great summary of RFA activity in the NHL.

15. Psycho29 says:

For those of you opposed to the Bell takeover of Astral Radio (which also affects TSN-990 this is from the Yahoo Groups(Radio in Montreal) website:

“So the news is out. Three major media groups have formed together to oppose the Bell takeover of Astral. They are reaching out to Canadians to voice their opinion and, at least they hope, their opposition to the bid.”

They have established a webpage/on line petition:

There is also a Twitter feed.

16. Steeltown Hab says:

Which team do people legitimately think AK46 will end up signing with?

———————————

Lars, PK, Pac, Emelin, LL – @J_Perez22

• shiram says:

If I had to guess I’d say the Penguins lose out on Doan and sign AK46.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I was thinking the same about the Canucks, how he might be their plan B.

Last season I was hoping he’d be hot at the trade deadline and Vancouver would scoop him up to play with the Sedins. Imagine how good he could be if he didn’t have to think, just be around the net and wait for the puck to end up on his stick. All he’d have to do is skate to the offensive zone and wait to wrist in 30 or 40 a season.

Of course, he went on a 40 game scoring drought, and Pierre Gauthier did well to extract a second-rounder in exchange for his services.

———————————————————————–

• JUST ME says:

Something tells me he is off to the KHL. If he is not chosen by now it must be that nobody is interested. He is not an expensive risk with a 20 goal a year average built like a bulldozer.

I thought Toronto would take a chance with him. He fits in there and would bring goals much more frequently than most of the Leafs in the roster but then again, Burke never does as expected so…

• citizenSanto says:

AK46 to the Leafs?
        Wasn’t there some bad blood between Grabs and the brothers K?
        I wonder if that will prevent this from happening.
        I hope so, as I’d hate to see AK suit up for Burke.

I could see Detroit taking a chance on him. However, I am not aware of their needs at forward.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

The Winnipeg Jets

• Sean Bonjovi says:

double

17. Un Canadien errant says:

Is there any chance at all that having a second NHL team in Toronto would be good for the Maple Leafs? Sure, they wouldn’t be the sole source of hockey in the GTA, but then again, could a new rivalry create even greater interest in hockey? Could the competition mean even greater revenue and success for their franchise?

I know they think they don’t want to split the pie, they want to have the market ‘captive’, but don’t they already have a tonne of local fans who root for the Flames or Sens or Canadiens or Bruins already? With so much media coverage of other teams and games being available, is it time to take a farsighted look at how to grow the game? Does having two teams mean more little guys taking up hockey in Ontario, countering the trend we’re seeing now as participation in minor hockey slumps?

The easy answer is for the Leafs to maintain their monopoly, but I wonder how much better the game would be if we had a situation like New York where they have the Mets and Yankees, the Giants and the Jets. The NY example doesn’t really carry over to the NHL, since the Devils and Islanders are both suffering financially, but certainly Toronto is a big enough market to carry two teams. The only question is do the Leafs lose more than they gain by allowing this expansion.

———————————————————————–

• TorontoHabsFan says:

I teach high school in the GTA – if they think they’ll continue to be the sport of interest in 20 years they’re delusional. For most of my students hockey is about the last sport they’re interested in (Soccer, Basketball, Football, Baseball THEN Hockey).

Creating an intown rival would boost their relevance dramatically…I think.

It may be good for the new current owners, who perhaps have some insight we are not aware of and will have some type of coinflip as to which company (Bell/Rogers) gets the new team thus settling the problems they will have down the road splitting TV/Radio coverage of the Leafs between them.

I have long held a conspiricist theory that Bettman tipped off the Teachers that perhaps a 2nd team was inevitable and that selling now gave them max revenue since the 2nd team would arrive sooner than later.

It gives the league more revenue stream, and perhaps forces the Leafs hand to put a better product on the ice.

I don’t think a 2nd team helps the Leafs brand itself financially, but does help the league and perhaps will help the hockey fans of the GTA. (Not that I think Bettman cares about the fans)

This is a very abbreviated format of why and how I think a 2nd team will arrive in the GTA.

• JUST ME says:

I sure do hope so cause as much as i hate the Leafs with passion , it`s not funny anymore. They have the population to have two teams and it would be a good thing for the Leafs to feel the heat a bit…

I`d rather have a second team there than in many NHL cities and even Québec. It is time that the NHL chooses those financially sound market instead of the weak ducklings…

But let`s be logical, if it is to be, it won`t be before many years.
      I do agree with TorontoHabsFan about the lost of interest in youger generations .It will show. At the opposite, i was amazed to see a whole new generation of fans for the Habs run for the playoffs with Halak, It really did bring a new buzz in the city.

Can you imagine that in MTL nobody under can say that they really remember what it is like to win a cuo ? Imagine in Toronto …. That does take a toll after all these years.

18. DorvalTony says:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

“Hi, this is P.J. Stock for Depends.”

19. HFX-HabFan says:

I think Dubinsky’s expression in the picture is hilarious: “Maybe a lockout would actually be better than playing in Columbus…”

20. TorontoHabsFan says:

I gotta feel that the RFA offer sheet rules will be changed in these negotiations. As they stand, making an offer is essentially useless. In the history of them, there’s been what, one successful offer? (Penner). Off the top of my head the unsuccessful ones include: Kesler, Backes, Vanek, Weber and Hjalmarsson.

Far too often an offer sheet just means you’re negotiating another team’s contract. What’s the point? You don’t get the player and end up ticking off future trading partners.

The real question will be whether they make them more likely or less likely to be successful.

Commandant a few days or perhaps a week or more ago provided a detailed listing of all the RFA offer sheets successful and unsuccesful. There have been a few go through, more than just Penner.

I am not sure the owners/GM’s are looking for a way to change the RFA sheets so as to create even more lack of control of a players rights.

It is usually used by a wealthy team against a team in more of a financial hardship situation.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

I was under the impression that Penner was the only successful one since the lockout (with the new rules).

Isn’t wikipedia great?

So yeah, post lockout only Penner signed. Back in the ’90s it seems like the rules were very different – players could be compensation??

• commandant says:

Just because Penner’s offer was the only unmatched offer sheet doesn’t mean it was the only “successful” one.

What about Hjarmalsson, the Sharks effectively forced the Blackhawks to choose between him and Niemi, and were able to pounce on Niemi when he came free.

Or what about the threatened offer sheet with Phil Kessel?

Or what about the revenge of the Blues forcing Vancouver to overpay to keep Bernier?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• TorontoHabsFan says:

I agree with you, that often teams use the RFA offer sheet to mess with their rivals to great effect – the Hjalmarsson example being the most obvious.

I meant “successful” in the narrowest of terms – that the team with whom the RFA player signed the offer sheet actually signed with them.

I hate Burke with the burning passion of a million suns, but he used the threat of the offer sheet to great effect…that being said – I suspect he’d be pretty happy with Seguin and Dougie Hamilton right about now… :)

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agreed. The owners aren’t looking to add more options for players when they negotiate their contracts, they are looking to rein in spending and have more control over a player’s career. If anything, they’ll make the offer sheet system even more onerous to use, or try to. And with so few players benefiting from this clause in the CBA, I can see the players yielding on this somewhat to try to gain or maintain what they have in other areas.

———————————————————————–

• TorontoHabsFan says:

I tend to agree with your analysis – however I could also see a loosening of the rules (which would almost invariably help the rich teams over the poor) getting snuck in.

• shiram says:

Weber signed his offer sheet.
      Also, Niklas Hjalmarsson, Steve Bernier, David Backes, Dustin Penner, Thomas Vanek, Ryan Kesler, Sergei Federov, Mattias Ohlund, Chris Gratton and Joe Sakic, and that’s going back to 1997.
      Only Gratton and Penner’s offer sheet were accepted and not matched.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Sorry, I worded it wrong – I meant an offer sheet that wasn’t matched by the original team.

• shiram says:

Maybe having a flexible cap like in the MLB would make offer sheet more worthwhile, big money teams could use them more effectively anyways.

Didn’t Shanahan and Stevens both sign and not get matched. And the 2nd contract was nullified because St. Louis didn’t have the draft picks necessary to fulfill the RFA requirements. Again, I know Commandant did a really nice summary on this, and for some reason I can’t remember which RFA signing happened first, the Stevens or Shanahan.

• habsnyc says:

RFA offer sheets are not the problem that needs to be addressed. Meaningful revenue growth at the league level has not increased the viability of US small market teams. The sticking point is revenue sharing.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Phil C says:

Offer sheets are not relevant because the cap has gone up every year so teams always have room to match. If the cap ever contracts even slightly, I think you would see a few more offer sheets giving teams problems.

21. TorontoHabsFan says:

One other thing about the soccer game yesterday – in the England v. South Korea Men’s game on Saturday the South Korean goalkeeper was found guilty of wasting time (but he really was trying to get it to Extra Time)…his punishment? A yellow card.

You have to give the IOC credit though where credit is due. They are consistently inconsistent in how they deal with such controversial issues. For that I must commend this group of highly trained officials in the art of taking bribes while holding zero accountability.

If not for the great feelgood stories of certain athletes it would be much more difficult to watch these games.

• Chris says:

It depends on whether it was from a spot kick or on a catch.

On a goal kick, there is no 6-second rule, but the referees do want the ball to get into play in a reasonable amount of time.

When the goaltender catches the ball with their hands, they are supposed to kick it out within 6 seconds (there didn’t used to be a time limit, but you were only allowed to take three steps with the ball…the new rule was intended to allow the goalie more freedom within the penalty box to get open for a throw or kick). The referee has discretion about how to handle kicks that routinely go over 6 seconds (6-8 seconds is normal, 8-10 seconds happens a few times per game for each goaltender), but it is almost never met with a yellow card. The correct implementation of the rule IS an indirect free kick, not a yellow card, but it is simply never, ever called.

Normally the referee will go back to the goaltender and tell them that they are on the clock and will be penalized in the future. That usually clears up all problems.

Pedersen did not do this, and instead chose to make herself an integral part of the game. Bad, bad decision and incompetent refereeing for an international match at the highest level.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

I can’t recall if it was on a goal kick now. But now that you mention it – it’s absurd that there’s no time limit on goal kicks. I’ve seen goalkeepers take 30 seconds + to kick the ball when nursing a late lead.

• habsnyc says:

Abby Wambaugh claims she counted to 10 in a loud voice to alert the referee to the goal keeper’s delay in putting the ball in play. I do not play soccer, but to me this smacks of the worst sportsmanship.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• SmartDog says:

More than that it’s an example of the US influencing referees. The ref should make their own decision, and actually a good ref would tell Abby W to play soccer and let them run the game.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Mark C says:

You must be joking. In a sport with such widespread diving and faking of injuries, you think this is the worst sportmanship?

I hope that female soccer team will not give up like man’s hockey team did and come back home with a bronze. Has there been any word from IOC regarding this or Canada is just too easy to brush off?

• habsfan0 says:

IOC has already commented. What they basically said was: “Them’s the breaks!”

• kempie says:

james duthie ‏@tsnjamesduthie
      It gets worse. FIFA investigating comments made by Cdn soccer players post-game about ref. Suspensions for bronze medal game a possibility.

• Cal says:

Gotta believe FIFA should be investigating that ref’s joke of a performance. If players are suspended for telling the truth, then eff FIFA.

• jedimyrmidon says:

That’s just horrible. If they suspend players… Man oh man. And the article title on FIFA’s homepage is:
        ” Dramatic semis produce dream final”

Dream final? Sounds like some people really wanted the match to happen.

• Timo says:

Just wondering where Canadian delegation officials in all of that? I mean, it seems like the louder you scream the more breaks you get. Someone should scream.

• SmartDog says:

No way FIFA would be dumb enough to do that. Wait a minute… it’s FIFA. Oh yeah, that could happen.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• HFX-HabFan says:

What is this “man’s hockey team” you speak of? Is it like man’s best friend? Or man’s search for meaning? I’m intrigued…

Timo that is great point, it was very dissappointing to watch our Mens hockey team quit during those Olympics where once out of the gold medal game they appeared to not even give an expletive about the remaining games, specifically bringing home a bronze medal.

23. db says:

I think Kaberle would look good as a Flyer.

24. twilighthours says:

Smartdog I feel ya on weber. He could be a solid bottom pairing defenseman, and I think is more useful than Diaz in that he has the big shot.

Phil C points out that weber was given a lot of minutes early in the season – those were Jacques Martin minutes. Screw up and get comfy on the bench. Martin lost him, and cunneyworth never bothered to try and regain him.

The kid is young and has get to reach his ceiling. People opine the loss of o’bynre and that we have up on him too early…

Man, if we are going into a rebuild, I’d rather give this kid minutes over Diaz (who has reached his ceiling) or kaberle (enough said).

What do you want out of your bottom pair guy? Those three are all pretty soft, but at least weber has upside and can actually shoot the puck.

• New says:

Phil C pointed out below that the new team structure should be designed to help these kids.
      Most days on the board we sit around and try and figure out what is wrong with this or that player.
      If the team structure means that Timmins is responsible for the draft and developing drafted players, and then Brisbois and Lapointe are responsible for developing young players once Timmins hands them off, it would make sense. Actually it would make so much sense that you’d wonder why it was not done before.

If MB can somehow swing some trades of these players whose skillsets are similar and produce either different skillset Dmen or forwards we need or draft choices he will have done well.

Unfortunately due to the excess of similar dmen on the roster last year it made it extremely difficult to showcase any of them.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agreed. Tomas Kaberle, Raphaël Diaz, Yannick Weber and Frédéric St-Denis are all waiver eligible this year, and all bring a skating, headsy, skill approach to the position to some degree. Once P.K. signs that will make nine defencemen we can’t send down to Hamilton without exposing them. I think Frédéric is a relatively safe bet with low market value to sneak down without any issues, but rather than risk it, let’s trade one or two of these guys instead of losing them outright on waivers, as we did with Jeff Woywitka last season.

Personally, I’d love it if we could trade away Tomas Kaberle for draft picks/prospects before the start of the season, but failing that, I’d let Raphaël Diaz go. I like the kid, he’s not a bad player and will do even better next season, but I’d rather keep the younger, stockier Yannick Weber and his cannon from the point.

• SmartDog says:

With all the money the teams spend, and with the ceiling on player salaries, it seems to me that the team that focuses the most on player development (and scouting too) will have the best team. When we hear about player development it seems to me to be sort of a formula… I’m sure they spend more on equipment now but what about on people?

Who is it on the Habs that would say “player X needs to be good at this – let’s get this done”?

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

25. habsfan0 says:

US gymnast Gabrielle Douglas slipped and fell off the high beam today.

Soccer referee Christina W. Pedersen still awarded her a 10, though.

Man, I am in a bad mood today.

27. HabFab says:

Gally makes final roster for USA U20 team in tournament starting today.

Interview with Gally starts around 5:00.

28. SmartDog says:

Here’s my question about Weber – and players like him. When you have a guy like that, why not focus major effort on strengthening his weakness so he is more useful. Gomez misses the next night after night (and Eller too). But these guys go and practice the same team drills over and over and over. I know it happens… it just seems like it’s up to the player to work on – like when Crosby said he wanted to work on face-offs one summer and came back and did much better. But why leave it up to these guys and their own initiatives?

Of course if there was a reporter around we could get some info on what the Habs are doing this summer… and maybe some of this is happening. too bad there’s not an informed reporter around.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• shiram says:

Weber is in Switzerland, but that’s not excuse nowadays. It would be interesting to have information on what work outs and training the Habs are doing.

• New says:

I think Weber gets a bad rap, especially since Diaz came over. I see Weber as a kid who was doing well in the AHL like Subban but never got the icetime to improve. 23 years old he was bumped to the pressbox by a 26 year old.

Lots of times injuries are because of a bad conditioning program, because of bad luck, or because you play wrong. As fans we chalk it up to bad luck. But when you’re hitting the highest injury rates in the league year after year you have to consider that you’re doing something wrong.

Hopefully the changes in the front office structure will lead to better on ice performance. Gomez will likely be the flag that signals whether it is ” your Montreal Canadiens” or just the same old “Habs” with some friends in jobs.

• Phil C says:

I think Weber was given more than a fair chance by the Habs last year. He was given a one-way contract, virtually guaranteeing him a roster spot. He was given over 20/mins a game in October and over 18/mins a game in November. Unfortunately for him, he played his way out of the lineup. I remember him being responsible for a least a couple of third period meltdowns last year from bad positioning in the neutral zone, allowing a winger to get behind him.

• New says:

Oh I hear you but why is it that he never improved? Why was last year’s camp and season such a disaster? Is Smartdog onto something about the team not training and developing players well?

• HabFab says:

Believe the Team agrees with the not training / developing players as Lapointe, Mellanby and Brisebois were all hired to work on that.

• Phil C says:

You make a good point, it is a concern for the Habs going forward. Hopefully part of what you and Smartdog are concerned about has been addressed by the hiring of pro-player development staff. The fact that all these guys were hired in the front office is admission that the Habs were not doing enough to develop young players.

I don’t think the coaching environment for young players was the greatest under Martin in that players were afraid to make mistakes. The awful passive trap system they were playing was not good for a player like Weber either, as it resulted in a lot of dump-ins, forcing the defense to have to dig it out of the corner under a heavy forecheck. Not ideal with small defensemen. (I have to stop talking about the Habs’ trap now because I feel my blood pressure rising. ;-( )

• Cal says:

You can’t teach lack of size, and that’s what both Weber and Diaz have. They are puck movers and need to be on another roster. Together, they make the D in Montreal transform into the Tiny Tot Brigade. Physically, neither of them can hack it.

• commandant says:

Lets be clear, Weber and Subban are not comparable.

Weber has never had the defence or the physicality that Subban brings. Nor was he ever as dynamic an offensive player.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Chris says:

Good Lord, man, give it a rest.

If you want to complain (incessantly) about informed reporters, gather all of your friends and family and subscribe to the newspapers. Newspapers are bleeding money because of plummeting subscription rates and the rise of the internet, where everybody expects content for free, and sports departments are amongst the hardest hit.

There are very few sports reporters left, and those that are left are stretched very thin. You might be a hockey fan, but the Montreal Alouettes and Montreal Impact seasons are now underway. The Rogers Cup is about to start. The Summer Olympics are on.

Dave Stubbs is in London working for the Postmedia Olympics coverage team. Is it really such a travesty that the Olympic athletes get their moment in the sun once every two years, pushing off-season hockey talk to the back-burner for a few weeks?

Pat Hickey looked to be on vacation through June (you do earn vacation time after 47 years as a journalist) and is currently reporting the Rogers Cup tennis event in Montreal, where Quebec born Aleksandra Wozniak and Wimbledon junior champ Eugenie Bouchard are both worthy of some press.

Mike Boone just posted his first column in two weeks this morning.

August has always been quiet for hockey news. God knows that we get enough coverage of every broken fingernail and hurt feeling for every Montreal Canadien player from September to July. Is it really so wrong that we get a month and a half each year where hockey takes a back seat?

In the new world, you can start a blog and then try to get accredited with the NHL. Other bloggers have done it. If you really feel so strongly that the journalists are letting you down personally with their lack of stories in August, I encourage you to go get accredited and fill that void. Clearly you think that there is a need.

29. frontenac1 says:

Agreed Timo. Re/Weber. Sure would hate to lose that physical ,crease clearing ability that the Habs rely on him for.Oh wait, we have Diaz for that . No worries Carey, your Paint is Safe! Yodle Leh Hee Hoo!

While I don’t believe there is specifically room on the current roster for Weber, nor do we have the need for another offensive orientated dman, don’t see the reason to ridicule him. He has talent, I am hopeful MB can either trade him for something of value, or perhaps in moving a player like Kaberle later in the year it opens a roster spot for Weber.

Did you feel the same way about Streit before he went to the Islanders also?

Weber is still young, he is talented, but he is a victim of the numbers where we already have offensive talented dmen who aren’t crease clearing type dmen.

• Cal says:

Weber, Streit and Diaz are only needed for their offensive flair. Defensively, as far as protecting the crease goes, or “boxing out”, they are as collectively useless and ineffective. Diaz and Weber should have spots in the NHL; just not in Montreal.

• shiram says:

Agreed, Weber brings a good set of skills to the rink, is on a cheap deal and is only 23 years old. He’s had a rocky past season, where he was either not playing or playing very limited PP minutes.

• Timo says:

I did. Streit was as useless as Weber. The only reason he is “the victim” of the numbers is because he doesn’t bring much value to the table. What are we supposed to do, wait until he turns 30 and then see how he turns out? Subban is young too and he isn’t a victim of numbers. He is good (not great, but good) dman that can do a lot of things Weber can’t even dream of and MB better get off his useless rear end and sign him. (Subban, not Weber)

• Phil C says:

I can see Philadelphia, Colorado, or Detroit having interest in a player like Weber.

This may be old news, I missed it a few days ago.

Yannick Weber saying he does indeed want to stay with Habs.

31. accp says:

we have whiners in Hockey, we have whiners in Soccer. forget about it. it ain’t gonna change anything. it’s over. USA won whether it was right or wrong and you can whine all you want. it won’t be replayed.
    if it had been reversed. there would be no whining on this site.

Congrats to our Canadian Girls you played a great game and Congrats to the USA Girls on the win.