Cammy’s status soars in Montreal

A few things while wondering whether Sir Paul McCartney, performing at the Bell Centre tonight, asked for a tour of the Canadiens’ dressing room:

Michael Cammalleri is on the cover of The Hockey News Yearbook that landed in my mail today, and he’s clearly one of highest-profile Canadiens heading into the 2010-11 season.

An interesting profile of Cammalleri by Vicki Hall of the Calgary Herald, from the city where Cammy played before arriving in Montreal where’s he’s become a huge fan favourite.

• One I missed a week ago (but better late than never): Jimmy Murphy talks to Bruins coach Claude Julien, who’s thrilled to have for Habs assistant coach Doug Jarvis join his staff.

• And in this week’s Hudson Gazette: Jacques Demers on his second chance at life after botched surgery took him much too near the ever-after.

The Habs former coach isn’t bitter – he’s genuinely happy to still be on this Earth.

1. K-hab25 says:

LMAO – I don’t know A-troll’s pic is pretty douchey aswell. It’s to close to call for me. :-)

2. Bill J says:

Keep in mind the location of the 2014 Olympics.

Does ANYONE seriously believe Markov will wear Canadian colours ?

I think not!

3. B says:

Would Markov be able to crack Canada’s roster in 2014?

4. crabvader says:

Xtra has the pic to go with the title.

5. subdoxastic says:

Admittedly google didn’t do a hell of a translation for me, but what I gathered was this:

that any g.m.; player or coach; and any fan (who doesn’t care more about the Canadiens speaking French) is a wife abuser.

I can understand that francophones would want francophone stars, or black fans would want to see black stars or latinos/latinas latino stars. This isn’t racism but an issue of social acceptance and standing up for groups that have historically not been best represented by the dominant ideology in politcs or sport. I’m all for it.

Maybe this is just an English thing, I’m no good at French– we can blame the sub-standard teaching of French in South Western Ontario on the seeds sown with the ‘decapitation’ at the plains of Abraham– but that phrase ‘francophone star’ is composed of two words. One is ‘francophone’ an adjective and a noun, the other is ‘star’ both a noun and a verb.

Here’s where it gets tricky:

I think Tremblay is within his rights to insist that ‘francophone’ be a person and not just an adjective. I further think that francophones (self-identified) have a right to work out amongst themselves what their identity means. Unfortunately, francophone is often used in a manner that most emphatically resembles Quebecois or some other weird, regional/racial qaulifier. While I find the slide to the right disingenuous, I can understand it.

But, by focussing too much on the first noun I think we might just be handicapping ourselves regarding the evaluation of the second noun– the star. This is not a matter that divides along racial or linguistic lines. Unless you are willing to ignore the careers of “The Rocket,” Beliveau, Lafleur, Roy, you can’t ignore that the competitive nature of the sport guarantees that performers will be rewarded, at the very least with playing time, even if ‘systemic discrimination’ screws them out fair consideration for league awards. What we have on the ice is a meritocracy. You might disagree with the who the coach puts on the ice, but once their out there, they’re on their own to perform.

Which lead to the verb form of star. Have Gui! and Lapierre, “starred”? They both had some good games, and longer trends where parts of their game were deemed good, but star? Do I feel that if they had received more playing time, more power play time, more whatever the hell you want to call it, that their stars would ascend?

Nope, and I’d be fricking p.o. at any coach who kept somebody like markov, cammi, gionta, gomez, pleks off the ice in favour of Gui! or Lapierre, because they were French, rather than because what either of them as individuals (and team members) might be capable of or suited for.

Am I p.o. that Lapierre is on the “fourth line” as Tremblay put it? Yes, but that has more to do with my disappointment in Lapierre’s last season and less to do with whatever language he lives in.

This is getting cumbersome in length, so I’ll wrap up by asking if Louis Leblanc isn’t in for a hell of a trip when he’s in the bigs.

P.S. “Massively obese” hired as “sports writer” is offensive– but oh so perfectly pitched.

6. K-hab25 says:

Don’t worry X-troll, you fall into the same category as A-troll.

7. Rob says:

ahhh yes. if only it were 1975.  we wouldn’t have to deal with you

8. Rob says:

there a few players who DON’T party hard.  They’re athletes….not losers.  Mr. Cammaleri has been known to hit the bars pretty hard himself.  Seen him out a couple times in Calgary, i can only imagine what he gets up to in montreal!  I guess that mean we should expect that he will become useless as well.

9. Xtrahabsfan says:

10. Xtrahabsfan says:

Lennox  battled for Great Britian and Rusinski played tennis fot them too ,Welcome to Team Canada Andre!

11. RS says:

Markov was (jokingly) asked this question when he got his Canadian citizenship. He laughed and said he would still play for Russia.

12. RS says:

Peter Stastny

Bryan Trottier

13. Rob says:

hmmm….you don’t seem to read very well.

Sounds about right

14. Bill J says:

“My last post on Price”

Promise ?

Because as I’ve told you repeatedly, when you do not speak of him.  You DO bring quality posts here, but for the last little bit you seem to have been on a Price Hate Bandwagon.

And for all the times you say Price does not deserve Praise & Support…  He equally does not deserve the exact opposite.

How about a level headed approach ?

Oh BTW —

“Can you do it, can you prove half of the fan base wrong?”

Half ? – your numbers are dwindling Adam, there was a time here that Half the posters would have sided with you.  But now, your support group amounts to Xtra + terrygain + Tony…. Not much of a “team” or fan base for that matter.

Perhaps your on the wrong side of the debate and clearly you do not realize it.

15. K-hab25 says:

You don’t think the players on the 86′ and 93′ teams partyed. Hell one of the biggest party animals on the Habs was Chelios and he still plays today. If thats to long ago for you how about Kane, out drinking and beating up cab drivers. Or Ovechkin and Markov, who are always out drinking and partying. I would be willing to bet 90% of the unmarried players drink and party quite reguarly, especially the ones 25 and under. As far as Carey being fat goes, you’re nuts. His rookie year he had that picture at a Halloween party with O,byrne, Higgins and Georges, every one of them had there shirts off, with abs showing. That was his rookie year, before he lost 20 pounds.

16. TheDagger says:

What about guys like Hnat Domenichelli…. played for Canada in the world juniors and play with Swizterland during these Olympics.  And I know he isn’t the only one.  Hockey Canada probably signs over their status pretty quickly since they wouldn’t have a shot at Team Canada.

17. GuyDoon says:

That’s right! I thought he played for Canada first, then switched, but he never did play for Canada. Thanks

18. adam76 says:

Why should I be banned, because you disagree?  Go back to cuba, commie!!!!

19. adam76 says:

If only it was 1975, your argument would be valid.

20. G-Man says:

It’s summer and mid-August. Dream all you want. We’ll start seeing the reality in October.

I want this team to do well after so many years of futility. Last season’s run to the ECF was great, but management couldn’t believe their eyes and allowed a lot of change to occur.
    Losing Halak, Moore and Metro will hurt a lot. Losing Mara won’t.Gaining a lot of question marks while not addressing the top 6 forward issues (hello BP and AK46)is a mistake. Assuming a kid (Eller) can do the necessary job of scoring 30 and adding 30 helpers is demanding a lot too much for someone who hasn’t worked a day in Martin’s system.
    The D should move the puck better with both Markov and Subban in the lineup. However, this is still a soft D that doesn’t hit enough.
    Choosing CP over Halak has left me completely pi$$ed this off-season. IMO, it’s a blind and stubborn management decision. Rewarding failure is always a bad thing.
    Prediction: Habs get 76 to 86 points. They score 235 to 245 goals. They allow 260 to 270. They win games by 1 goal, eking them out but they will not go on winning streaks of 5 + games. The losing streaks will last longer.

21. madcap_habsfan says:

i say bring it on

22. madcap_habsfan says:

cheers to that m. cleghorn 😛

23. pic1983 says:

4-11 with a SV% over .91 and a GAA of around 2.7.  Last time I checked, win/loss records is a team stat.  Also, how many games do you plan on winning when your team averages 2.52 goals per game for 5th WORST in the league? If you’re going to average 2.52 goals per game, the only way you are going to win hockey games if your goalie plays out of his mind (which halak did), and there hasnt been a goalie in the history of hockey whos played over 250 games and has a career SV% over .93 which is essentially what you need to win when you’re scoring 2.52 goals per game, and allowing over 35 shots per game.  You want to bash someone? Bash management for not getting the proper offensive support, dont bash the 22 year old who has career numbers that 25 out of 30 teams would kill for their goalie to have right now.

I think you’re just saying these things for shock value…. You have no real numbers or true facts to back up your statements.

Drinking? smoking butts? Kipper Chain smokes like its his job, and your habs heroes of the past’s training regimens consisted of binge drinking and chain smoking.

Carey has his issues, but your hatred towards him is excessive and completely unwarranted.

24. madcap_habsfan says:

and thats what he’s saying..he knows that “goalie who’s name i refuse to metion ” is actually practising in the offseason and dedicating himself the way you seem to believe he’s not

25. Bill J says:

Brett Hull never played for Team Canada.

Slight difference.

26. Puck Bard says:

Thanks all!

27. madcap_habsfan says:

that’s true  ,i mean you hear stories all the time. c’est la vie really, no harm no foul for the most part

28. adam76 says:

The 1970s was a long time ago.  Modern NHL players train and are dedicated 11 months out of the year.  Saying lafleur drank and smoked is a moot point – it is no longer 1975.

“” he’s told me a few stories about the boy that make me wince a bit””

Sounds about right.

29. GuyDoon says:

Brett Hull switched to USA.

30. Propwash says:

Meh, its Corona….beginner beer lol. Plus Im posting through my blackberry, kinda hard to see the pics.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

31. ooder says:

there have been some exceptions like Nabokov who played for Kazakhstan as a junior but now plays for Russia.

But i think this has to do more with the politics of the USSR spliiting up and stuff

88 is the new 23

32. Aybara says:

This post made me smile.

Although it’s sad really. It reflects not how much you hate Price, but how much you hate yourself.

33. TheDagger says:

That is Carey, doing what 21 year olds do on vacation in Mexico. No big deal.

34. adam76 says:

That my friend, is Price.

35. Mark C says:

Think you are reading a bit much into these assessments. The report is just another any voice among many trying to predict the future.

Not sure how you consider Avtsin to be a sure thing, yet consider a player like Kristo to be a potential mediocre NHLer. As a further point, in any given year there aren’t more than 10-15 non-potential mediocre NHL prospects.

re: Leblanc. I think some posters “project” him to be a big center, I’ve seen him listed as 6’0″ to 6’1″, once he fills out in a few years, he’ll be something like 6’1″ 200lbs+. Maybe, that’s not considered Carter or Getzlaf “big” but it’s a least average.

Nothing Ive seen other than rabid fanboys mentions him as anything other than a potential everyday plunger.

Guess you missed the first line about him in the report:

“There’s a lot to like about Louis Leblanc and his potential to develop into a top-line NHL player”.

Again, beside the super elite prospects, such Hall, Hedman, Crosby etc. all prospects have the downside of mediocre NHLer.

36. pic1983 says:

Has it ever happened before that a player switched countries?

37. Rob says:

so i’ve made it a point to not reply to any of your posts becasue, quite frankly, i didn’t see the point.  But i have to at least clear up one thing so that maybe, if you are the Habs fan you say you are and really only require to have your misinformed opinion…..well, informed……then maybe it would help for you to have a little insight.  Carey Price has had a few nights out since becoming a Hab.  Of that there is no doubt.  In fact I’m friends with a guy who grew up in Carey’s hometown, and he’s told me a few stories about the boy that make me wince a bit.  HOWEVER….this notion that he is not a professional and just parties all summer is nonsense.  I live in Calgary at the moment and my wife is a sports psychologist who works at the National Sports Development centre.  This is where Carey does much of his offseason training.  And i can tell you with absolute certainty, that he spends a LOT of time at this centre working out in the offseason.  And not just this offseason, but last offseason as well. So if you want to continue on with your hate of Carey Price, that’s fine.  But at least have actual reasons to do so.  Not just the fact that he went out a few times in his first year and was photographed doing so.  Besides, if partying in Montreal was a reason for a player’s demise, the Montreal Canadiens would have ZERO Stanley Cups.

38. bwoar says:

wait never mind

39. Propwash says:

Kinda pot and kettle there, seeing that your avatar is someone chugging a Corona.

Just sayin’…..

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

40. bwoar says:

Is there any other kind of sports writer?  I’ve taken to doing exercises during TV breaks and intermissions; I smoke my j’s during the game action, and the beers have been dialed down to 3-4 per game.  Even that is excessive for watching doubleheaders (where it once was 8 / game)  That barely gets me through 150 games a year, with about a 10 lbs weight gain.  Not to mention the part where sportswriters must sit and write about the game afterwards. I can hardly imagine a load of sportswriters catching 250 games a year & staying trim.

And yeah, Trembley’s as useful as a week-old deuce on the kitchen floor, but we could always be stuck with Herb Brooks, or freakin’ Bruce “Rumour King” Garrioch.

For all the complaining about the Montreal media the Habs coverage is pretty terrific compared to, say, any other NHL city.

41. sprague cleghorn says:

Yeah, he has to live up to the temperate, teetotal, non-smoking example set by past Habs immortals like Doug Harvey and Guy Lafleur and… aw, forget it.

42. sprague cleghorn says:

What a fantastic post!  I mean the part where you said “My last post on Price”.  I must be dreaming.

43. SeriousFan09 says:

So you’re either his official biographer or a stalker to have such in-depth knowledge of what he does away from the rink. Or you’re just listening to baseless rumours and think that lets you know what’s really going on in MTL…

And why is everything suddenly being posted in italics.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

44. Rudy says:

Can someone please ban this tool

45. HabsFanInTampa says:

I fail to see any reason for you to post this biased video. Unless, of course, you dislike the Canadiens. In that case, why are you on this site?

46. Propwash says:

What has convinced you that price has hit the bottle hard and is smoking cartons of du mauriers?

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

47. ooder says:

welli cheer for Russia so i would feel pretty sh!tty lol.

and thanks for the rule update… i guess i was wrong.. i was sure that once you played for one country you were stuck

88 is the new 23

48. adam76 says:

What he does away from the rink is one of the main reasons he was 4 and 11 in 2010.  He is not a normal 22 year old.  He has to live to a higher standard.  If he cant keep away from the liquor, smokes and trim for the majority of the time –  he does not deserve to wear that jersey.

49. TheDagger says:

Fair enough.  If it were possible for him to play for Canada though how would you feel about it?

Edit: Actually it is possible for him to change to Team Canada, according to IIHF Rules.

50. SeriousFan09 says:

As ooder already pointed out, IIHF rules forbid it since he’s already played for Team Russia and with dual citizenship he’s going to keep playing for Russia even if the rule didn’t exist. Canada might be his adoptive country but he was born in Russia and learned the game there, he’s going to give back what he can I would suspect.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

51. mbplekfan says:

Maybe he should take a vow of celibacy and don monks robes.

What he does away from the rink is his business.

52. mbplekfan says:

Finally a realistic assessment of some of our propspects and their upside vs their deficiencies.

Correctly identifies a lackof size and meanness in our ranks and also points out that most of the prospects have limited upside with one or two projecting as possible 1st or 2nd liners.

Beyond Avtsin and Eller we have lots of potentially mediocre NHL’rs.

Correctly identifies that Weber and Carle have probably topped out as AHL players due to limited strength and size. The defense cupboard is bare and we will have to rely on the free agent market to fill out the roster in the future.

Im confused about the Leblanc thing. Some posters mention him as being a big centre while this report mentions that he isnt big or particularly strong and still has a long march ahead of him. Nothing Ive seen other than rabid fanboys mentions him as anything other than a potential everyday plugger. Certainly nothing that justifies the adoration on this board.

53. ooder says:

he can’t… since he already suited up for Russia he can no longer change teams

IIHF rules

88 is the new 23

54. TheDagger says:

As Canadians (and Canadiens), how would you guys feel about Andrei Markov suiting up from Team Canada now that he’s one of us?

55. SeriousFan09 says:

Did the Lightning finish ahead of us because of the ongoing Stevie Y lovefest in the media?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

56. adam76 says:

My last post on Price:

Wow – 27 replies to my video link.  Call me a troll if you like, but I have all your attention..

Price needs quit drinking, smoking and dedicate himself to the sport he is loves.  IF this happens, I will be the first to give him a standing O.  Price does not deserve any benefit of the doubt.  He wants it, he has to earn it.  I hope he will, however – nothing over the last two seasons indicate he can or will.

Would also be nice for him to apologise for his gutless and classless moves in his one playoff loss, but I’m not holding my breath.

Price – all the times you have cried in the dressing room like an emo kid listening to simple plan, could have been avoided if you skipped the outside the rink “lifestyle”.  You have the greatest honour in sports, act like you give a crap.  You need to hold yourself to a higher standard.  You are not a 22 year old, you are the starting goaltender of the greatest sports franchise in the world.

My true feelings are this.  The best thing for this franchie moving forward is to have Pricetitanic crash and burn the start of the season.  This will finally show that management made a huge mistake supporting this classless and lazy player

Suck it up, grow up  and take it to the next level.  I want you to read this, get pissed and jam it down my throat by proving me wrong in October.

Can you do it, can you prove half of the fanbase wrong?

57. HabFanSince72 says:

You have to hand it to Healy: being the biggest knob on HNIC takes some doing.

58. HabFanSince72 says:

Professional hater Rejean Tremblay is at his hating worst today in La Presse.

Not linking to it – if you absolutely need to read it you know how to find it.

However, in honour of his belief that the Habs captain needs to speak French, I wish to ask the question of the day:

Should a massively obese individual be hired as a sports writer?

59. observer says:

It’s fine to laugh at others’ blunders but when the guy who prepares and makes such a video and starts out the video in the first few seconds mis-spelling “a all-star goalie” (a not an) and then “to cocky“(not too) – this video is not even worth wasting any more seconds of one’s time watching.

60. Anonymous says:

THN Yearbook predicts us to finish in eighth, facing the caps in the first round.

61. SeriousFan09 says:

The Hockey News throwing out their pre-season predictions, so far they’ve got Panthers dead last, Islanders at 14th, 13th for the Rangers, 12th for the Loafs and 11th for the Thrashers in the East.

They’ve only got two more chances to grossly underestimate us and have MTL finishing out of the playoffs.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

62. ooder says:

admins.. this is officially troll like behaviour

adam posts absolutly nothing else then how Price sucks.. absoultly nothing.

never adds anything to any conversation (other then how Price sucks), posts these videos completel out of context.

this is a habs fans site.. his garbage doesn’t belong here

88 is the new 23

63. Propwash says:

Totally off topic, but I cracked up at this beer commercial…

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

64. Mark C says:

IMO, after you get past Eller (assuming Subban is not considered a prospect) the next five spots are pretty much interchangeable. Mine would look like 2) Kristo, 3) Max-Pac, 4) Leblanc, 5) Avtsin, 6) Tinordi.

Did not like the comparison of Leblanc to Sam Gagner, however there are some similarities in their games. Also, the report seems a little down on Kristo’s skating, which I strongly disagree with. Kristo has near elite level skating.

65. SeriousFan09 says:

I would say you’re selling Pleks a bit short, I’m betting he’ll top his career numbers for 75-80 points.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

66. SeriousFan09 says:

Get help.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

67. Psycho29 says:

Actually I noticed he’s from Cole Harbour. He must have a man crush on Cindy Crosby…

68. notbigbird says:

It would beinteresting to see how the Habs own list might compare to this one. I`d also be interested to know what the Commetariat thnks of the ranking.

69. Anonymous says:

Just ran into Glenn Healy at princess auto in whitby, he was wearing his nhlpa shirt and trying to explain to someone how arbitration should work, lol.

70. Psycho29 says:

Another worthless post…like all your other ones.

71. b_whalen13 says:

I don’t know if this was posted here yet, but the habs website has a video of Dustin Boyd visiting the Bell Center.

I think the habs did pretty good getting this guy for sergi k. He should be a great addition to the habs bottom six. :)

72. avatar_58 says:

The goalie has one job – make the saves. Carey made the saves he could. Without turning himself into a brick wall he WILL lose games. You kind of need to score goals for your goalie to walk away with a win.

I mean…does anyone blame the Philly series on Halak? I don’t, I didn’t see any goals scored…

73. avatar_58 says:

Ah I see, a non fan. See fans make TRIBUTE videos. You know like showing how he led the habs passed the bruins awhile back? The wins he got this year? The times such as in San Jose where he LITERALLY stood on his head?

Maybe you should make a video about Cammalleri constantly missing the net, Gomez failing at a deke or Plekanecs turning the puck over. You know, doesn’t matter if it doesn’t happen that often – make the video anyway to prove your point of view – that this team sucks.

Me? I stick to the tribute “fanboy” videos…

74. Mark C says:

Check out this in-depth scouting report on some of Montreal’s top prospects. I can guarantee it bets all the anti-Price propaganda.