Cammy out with the flu

AUDIO: Brian Gionta | Hal Gill | Carey Price | James Wisniewski (with background vocals by P.K. Subban) | Jacques Martin

Michael Cammalleri missed the Canadiens’ practice today with the flu.

Mathieu Darche skated on his own for the third consecutive day while Brett Sopel also worked on his own but wasn’t  using his injured left hand.

1. JF says:

I’m starting to think Washington might be tougher than Philly.  The Caps are playing superb defensive hockey, they’re better balanced than they were last year, and they seem to have found the goaltending, though it’s still early days for Holtby.  The Flyers are showing a few cracks lately, and I don’t understand why they didn’t bolster their goaltending at the deadline.  Also, if we were to face the Caps again, their motivation level would be through the roof, whereas the Flyers might make the mistake of taking us lightly in view of recent history.

check my response to your earlier statement of that.  Cherry played in 1 game in NHL in his career, in the playoffs against Mtl.  No goal, No assist.

Another reason he hates the habs, in his only callup he sucked, agains the Habs.  Probably blames the habs for not letting him do anything productive on ice.

3. observer says:

BUT of those 354 points Cherry has only 6 of them and all assists.

4. observer says:

correction – ckgm i  mean they still use those call letters once in a while not chom which was the same companys fm station

5. Psycho29 says:

He had left the Team-900 for Chom a while back…

6. fbkj says:

couldnt listen to the wizz interview…

7. Jordio-oh says:

I listen to Nick Kypreos on the Fan590 almost every day for Hockey Central at noon here in Toronto and so I know his modus operandi very well. He acknowledges (as he should do) all of the talented players he used to play with (Messier, Kovalev, Leetch) but he still talks and acts with this false sense of importance because he used to play the game and was a fighter and that is a very crucial role, to him. The glorification of the role of goons and pests by former goons and pests who are now analysts is so unbelievable for me. Everytime I hear ” the way the game used to be ” and “you wouldn’t know, you never played the game”  i cringe.

The most important issues in the league right now are being analysed and relayed back to the public by some of the very people who were the cause of these same issues 15 years ago.

Milbury climbed into the stands a beat a guy with his own shoe yet he gets a national platform to address violence in hockey????

Its baffling.

What do i want to hear on a thursday night sessions of ‘That’s Hockey’? Do i want to listen to Barnaby talk about all the fights he got into and dirty things he shouted at players?

I’d rather them bring do a segment with Joe Sakic on the finer points of an off-wing wrist shot. But i guess the players who did it all right and played the game the way it should have been played are now happily retired and all the goon squadders who didn’t get the lime light they sought in the NHL as a fighter now get it by being an ‘analyst’.

8. Bugs says:

Alaska would be first hit IF the clouds decided to travel 4000 miles east (or whatever).

Either way, it would take weeks; you’re good.

9. ProHabs says:

There was no way he was going to admit guilty because nobody knows yet how badly Patches is hurt. If he doesn’t resume his career, and Chara admits guilty, he would be sued for millions. So Chara played dumb, even thought we all know he did it on purpose.

When in doubt, Get out!

11. Maksimir says:

Yeah – how is Patches these days?

12. PrimeTime says:

If he doesn’t admit to his guilt publicly or to Max and his own teamates I hope the guilt haunts him. If he doesn’t feel guilt than he will go to hell.

13. Komihater says:

Sorry to go off topic here….but im frantically searching for answers…..and all the media are backpeddling.

Are there any west coast habs fans that are planning to evacuate the area in light of possible radiation clouds heading east with the jetstream? I’m concerned for family i have out there.

Apparemtly they have confirmed a third explosion.

The USS Reagan which was 100 miles out to sea, has gone through a radiation cloud.

But there is no panic in the mainstream, i don’t know what to think.

“Those who would give up there liberty’s for so called security’s deserve neither and shall receive none” TJ

14. HabsFansince49 says:

This sure isn’t a good year for Cammy, may be out again with the ‘flu.

I don’t pretend to be an expert; just a die-hard Habs fan passing my opinion

15. ProHabs says:

So Buttman has introduced a 5 step plan of attack to deal with the concussion issue in the NHL. Unfortunately, it won’t do any good as nowhere on this plan of attack is the firing of Colon Campbell and Mike Murphy.

I’m surprised he didn’t decide to form a committtee of current players, headed by Zhedo Chara, to reommend solutions to the problem.

16. Malreg says:

The reason why there are no former stars of hall of famers doing commentary or working as analysts is simply because they don’t need to.  They made enough money during their career, and if they wanted to get involved in hockey again, it’s almost always in a “adviser” role and into management.

All of the analysts that are former players are either doing it for the money, or can’t get a real job in the league, so they have no other choice.

17. Malreg says:

Wasn’t it only aircraft that were helping out with relief efforts returning to the Ronald Reagan that had any contamination?

18. TorontoHabsFan says:

Excellent point, one that we should remember whenever listening to these guys.

(that being said, I generally try to ignore what they say anyways, not a single one of them has any interest in fostering a reputation for trenchant analysis – they’re only interested in filling 10 minute chunks of airtime, they rely on the hoariest of cliches to get them through.)

19. LA Loyalist says:

I think New Jersey is going to do it… I know the math is bad, but it’s been bad for a month and they don’t seem to care…

I think New Jersey > Philly 🙂 all bets are off the way they are playing.

And while caps have issues, Ovechkin is waking up… should be fun.

Of course we want the B’s.

20. LA Loyalist says:

Did you guys enjoy Murray Wilson (retired) on CJAD game broadcasts? I really liked his dry style, and he would only mention his team mates or coaches if he was making a specific point.

Just wondering, he really cracked me up.

21. Jordio-oh says:

“you must like cherry or you wouldn’t listen to him… ”  –  false

Some people tuned in, despite not liking him, to hear what he had to say anyway. Perhaps to see just what kind of ridiculous language would fall out of his mouth. I don’t like him, but I’m curious if the segment i’m watching will be the one when he totally and completely collapses and goes off the deep end.

22. GrimJim says:

Sorry but nothing more specific than “cancer” so far.

23. habs365 says:

you must like cherry or you wouldn’t listen to him… I found an easy way not to listen to him….a thing called remote….press a number and it takes you to another channel….when you get a chance practise it..it’s amazing how easy it is……

24. Habnofear says:

FFS’s,thanks for the warning komihater and please keep us informed. My family and I are on Vancouver Island and are part of what is called the Japanese current. My question is where would a person go???

25. Ayan_SB says:

It’s been mentiond before, but I’ll say it again: TSN’s weekly rankings are all based on stats. It’s pretty much meant for people who play fantasy hockey. And why did the Habs slip from 10th to 11th? Cause they lost Pacioretty.

26. Bugs says:

So I’m chillin on CNN when I read that the Japanese government is pulling Eastwood’s “Hereafter” outta theatres on account of the sensitive subject matter in these troubles times. Respectful, solemn, no problem there.

I got a question though: WHO exactly is going to the cinema at the moment?

“Well, honey, our house is gone, the building where we work is gone, we got no food, no water, no money, no clothes and no news from anyone we know. Uhh…grab a movie?”

27. Danno says:

After hearing about the NHL’s position on concussions, I need to find a quiet place.

A Florida Panthers home game.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

28. Habfan29 says:

The Toronto Sports Network’s Power rankings have the Habs at 11th and the Rangers at 9th, because they are 3-1 in last 4 and we are 6of7. Who is the twit that does this, the Habs have a game in hand and are 7 points ahead of the Rangers…go figure…

29. LA Loyalist says:

… that’s why I’m feeling nauseus. I thought it was the Gary Bettman effect.

There’s no reference in LA times so far or on local radio.

30. LA Loyalist says:

thanks!

31. adam76 says:

Anyone know what is wrong with Farber?

32. habs365 says:

I would like to introduce to steps that would completly get rid of concuccions

#-1. get rid of all the goons…they have very little talent anyway

#-2. anytime a team is suppose to have a day off from practice…have them report to a classroom for lessons on how to respect each other….show video on concussions,dirty hits, cheap shots, types of suspensions…concussions would be eliminated in one year.

33. LA Loyalist says:

I read this, and stopped. I didn’t want to punch my computer:

(TSN)  “the NHL… …concluded that there is no one single factor that contributes to concussions”.

I guess they didn’t connect “concussion” with “violent and sudden impact to the head.”

34. avatar_58 says:

Well he’s out of the hospital, maybe use the contact page on the habs website? They might be able to take it and pass it on

35. LA Loyalist says:

My son made a “get-well” card for Max Pacioretty — anyone know where to send a physical card? thanks!

36. CBrady12 says:

makes sense, fire Cherry and Bettman and all of aa sudden concussions will dissapear from hockey!

37. Former Jets Fan says:

6.  Contract 2 teams, thereby ridding the league of the worst 40 players.

38. longtimehabsfan says:

That is alarming.

39. G-Man says:

Prevailing winds and concentration of contamination is not determined yet. However, always err on the side of caution when it comes to radioactive contamination. Governments and their agencies are forever lying about it.

40. shootdapuck says:

Yada Yada Yada, last week according to Bettman players got concussed by falling down now its by no identifyable cause!

Maybe blows to the head? Could that be the cause?

Why? maybe cause the downside is so pathetically inconsequential, that players don’t pay attention!

… the fans of the Boston Bruins now have lost forever any right to complain that “the league” is out to get their team, and that the Montreal Canadiens have some kind of pull inside the NHL home office. Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

41. longtimehabsfan says:

My 5 step plan:

1. Fire Bettman

2. Fire Campbell

3. CBC fire Cherry, give him a gold watch and thank him for his service

4. Touch up icing

5. Olympic size rinks

42. ProHabs says:

Exactly, it does nothing to prevent concussions at all. All it does is deal with what do to after the concussion happens. Does this guy have any proactive ideas.

43. Komihater says:

I did not, thanks.

They seem to be pretty optimistic, i’m remaining skepticle.

44. HalifaxHabs says:

reality check – your first four will all happen before number 5 ever happens.

45. HalifaxHabs says:

I guess this is like a comedy bit, because I’m sure you know not every city in Japan has been destroyed.

46. LA Loyalist says:

You guys are going to die: USA Hockey March 2011, re moving the beginning of legal checking to “Bantam” because “the American Development Model” “…were concerned about a lack of individual skills at the Peewee level, as players seemed to focus too much onon either checking or looking to avoid a check by not playing with the puck.”

There is a “body-checking sub-committee” which includes “esteemed hockey coaches and administrators” — and MIKE MILBURY* and Al MacInnis.

“They are also promoting a coaching curriculum which teaching skills such as angling and body positioning that would give all plyaers a better foundation when body checking is introduced.”

In brief, the headspace that it’s the “players fault” is highly systemic and imbedded in the U.S. hockey culture.

Guys? en Quebec? Whazzup?

*Milbury is an idiot, IMO, but I do give him credit for not turtling in his fight with Larry Robinson.

47. Komihater says:

Safest place? hmm South Africa!

Just keep an eye on the jetstream, in the event of full meltdown i would not take any chances and head east. Apparently the third reactor is the Chara of them all.

48. LA Loyalist says:

I  haven’t watched Cherry in years, but I specifically watched the last one to know what he would say.

keep your friends close, and your enemies closer, as the saying goes.

49. habs365 says:

if he was saying it on behalf of Hockey Night in Canada….I would start listening to him again….he’s saying it on behalf of Don Cherry….all Im saying if you listen to Don Cherry that’s your decision I’m sure people on this site don’t have a problem with that….but don’t come on here complaining about what he said….people is getting sick of it…….

50. Former Jets Fan says:

The Rangers goal differential explained :

3(!) 7-0 shutouts and one more at 6-0 = 27 goals

51. LED_Bulbs says:

I had not thought of that point. There does seem to be a preponderance of goons giving the commentary.

baloney sharkskin sandwich

52. thebigguy says:

Completely for this. I stopped playing hockey in a league around the time people started hitting puberty, maybe 12 or 13. Hitting wasn’t allowed yet but I was getting my ass kicked just from the accidental contact. It didn’t help that I was born at the end of the year so I was playing with kids a grade ahead of me and I was small for my age. I basically alternated between being average size and tiny depending on the year.

That and a couple cheap shots about being one of the few Anglo kids playing pretty much did it.

Oh, and I wasn’t very good.

53. Jordio-oh says:

Unfortunately for me, I’ve only been subject to the crew at the Fan590. I watch all my games on TV, so i have never heard a single Habs game broadcast over the radio (am I aging myself here?).

The Kypreos and Doug MacLean and Fan590 issue is similar to Don Cherry. I get frustrated when i listen, but in some regard, thats the point of listening; to spark debate and thought.

On days when i don’t feel like getting riled up or provoked in thought, i avoid that station on my lunch hour. If I have some energy to spare, Il’l listen and spend the afternoon debating the points with my friends.

54. Max_a_million says:

Your right that they should make the change, it seems like pennies on the dollar when you are paying many of these players over 5 million per season.

I thought there were better alternative in astroturf than what they had at the time … hmmm I could be wrong, but I was of the mind they were ignoring the problem.

55. jimmy shaker says:

Didn’t have the technology back then, so what the big O had, was, what was state of the art back then.  Three Rivers  stadium in pittsburgh was the same way as well as where the eagles played football.  Those turfs had a number of players careers shortened substantially.  But as far as today’s NHL goes, there should be no excuse as to what the safest materials used should be.  The league should probably have something like this in place already, but what are we going to expect from these bunch of jabroni’s anyways?

Shaker

56. HalifaxHabs says:

my point = you missed it

and you said “people is getting sick of it”…

and, people can come on here to complaim any hockey topic related to the Habs they want… and what that bonehead has to say on national TV about the Habs counts as “related to the Habs”.

57. Jordio-oh says:

I respect your frustrations with people complaining about Don Cherry on this form especially since you take measures to avoid catching wind of Don’s thoughts. Unfortunately, your attempts will be futile as people will always want to talk about whatever they want. An inevitable outcome of public measure boards.

There are some who will be frusrated by your complaining about others complaining and so forth. It happens daily. Solutions are slim because venting feels good, for most, and thus they will never stop. The purpose of these message boards for most is to just get it out there into the world and perhaps alleviate their own stressed out minds, similar to tweeting and blogging.

58. Max_a_million says:

I can’t stand him, but I just don’t bother changing it.

It is good to see what the goonarians are saying anyhow.  Notice the week before he showed Gillies hit from an angle that highlighted his position, when the front angle definitely showed the head blow.

59. Max_a_million says:

The other teams have plexiglass yes, which is much more foregiving.

Not sure why they didn’t change it yet.  To be fair he hasn’t owned the team outright for long, and I am sure it wasn’t the number one priority.

Why didn’t the Expos buy better astroturf to protect their best assets like Andre Dawson?

60. Max_a_million says:

Yes, I am all for this.  My son is a peewee in the states, and he is just the right height to have his brain scrambled way too much.  Kids who check become obsessed with it, and it’s rough.  Unfortunately at the pewee age some have developped young and are or are at least approaching man size, while others who develop later are little boy size.  No need for checking in Peewee.  When we play Quebec Peewee teams they do not check, and we are not allowed to check them.

Very progressive, and I am in favor.

61. jimmy shaker says:

someone give me the 411 on who are the only teams left in the league with the seamless glass.  The habs and five others employ this glass in their buildings, where as the other 24 teams have the stanchioned glass.  What is the difference?  Is one a plexiglass system vs a glass system or what?  And if the seamless glass is a potential injury waiting to happen, why hasn’t the molson bros.  changed it?

Shaker

62. HalifaxHabs says:

LOL… very nice

you would make a great politician or PR person

63. ClaytonM says:

Yeah, it’s called grass in a downtown stadium, not in that toilet bowl in the East end. Oh well.

Ken Dryden For NHL Commissioner

64. TorontoHabsFan says:

According to Lebrun on the Hot Stove, Montreal had planned to change the glass in the off-season even before Cherry decided to scream Red Herring at the top of his lungs.

I’ve also never seen any evidence that Montreal’s glass has caused any more injuries than other rinks.

65. The Cat says:

Calgary, Montreal, Minnesota, Nashville, Colorado and Phoenix

66. ClaytonM says:

Maybe some people thought he’d redeem his image and stick up for Pacioretty, but I guess most suspected he’d spout the usual. That’s the funny thing about life – some people just have to pick at their scabs even if it’s bad for them.

Ken Dryden For NHL Commissioner

67. solomio says:

Didn’t like him and he always sounded like he didn’t know what he was talking about which was prolly true.

68. andrewberkshire says:

Funny thing is, Montreal has EIGHT more real wins than the Rangers. The teams aren’t really even close.

69. Mrhab24 says:

HAHAHA nice!

…I’m on a horse!

70. OneTimer says:

Like any comic, Bugs can be hit and miss. Sorry big guy!

71. habs365 says:

cherry loves people that complain…that’s how he keeps his job it helps boost the ratings for Hockey Night in Canada…if he tunes into this sight….he’s rubbing his hands right now….don’t stop complaining gang, I’ll have this job for ever….make sure you continue to keep his job for him……