Cammy out for game vs. Habs

cammy1

The Canadiens are in Calgary for the first of their four game road trip on Tuesday against the Flames, but they won’t be seeing Mike Cammalleri.

The former Hab, who was exchanged for Rene Bourque on Jan. 12, is out with the ubiquitous upper body injury, and no one seems to know how it happened. Plus — as the traveling Mike Boone reports — he was not made available to the media by the Calgary organization on Monday.

Some around the Flames speculate Cammalleri may have been injured when a puck shot by Olli Jokinen hit him in the throat last Friday in Anaheim (a game the Flames lost in the last minute of regulation), but coach Brent Sutter denied that. Others have speculated he may be suffering the after-effects from one of two incidents on Sunday, an elbow from the Stars Sheldon Souray or an open-ice hit by the Stars Steve Ott.

His absence will put a hole in the middle of Calgary second line, Cammalleri having been shifted to centre by Sutter in mid-February, and it seems to have been a good move once the 29-year-old Cammalleri adjusted to his new surroundings. He had nine points (4g, 5a) in the previous 12 games. He’s got five goals and 11 points total in 21 games since the trade.

As Boone quoted from Sutter’s remarks to the media, the Flames will miss his puck moving talents. “I like him having the puck in his hands,” Sutter said. “In the neutral zone, making plays. He’s a skilled player, a shooter, but I like the play in his own zone, working with the defence and coming through the neutral zone, he has the puck on his stick.”

His absence is forcing Sutter to move his third and fourth line centres — Matt Stajan and Roman Horak — one notch up the depth chart.

The Flames have also suffered injuries to two other forwards in the last few games — and they’ve had injury problems all year with the likes of veteran Lee Stempniak, promising young centre Mikael Backlund and depth forward Blair Jones and defenceman Chris Butler all on IR.

Among the newest casualties, Blake Comeau picked up a shoulder injury last week and he’s out for two-three weeks and Lance Bouma left Sunday’s game with an upper body injury that will force him to miss Tuesday’s game as well.

So the Flames reached down into their AHL Abbortsford Heat club Monday and recalled an entire forward line — Guillaume Desbiens, Krys Kolanos and Greg Nemisz. It’s projected they will play as the fourth trio against the Habs. “I decided I wanted to bring up one full line and have three guys that can come in and play together and are used to playing with each other,” Sutter said.

This is a significant game for Calgary, who look to be as fragile mentally as they are physically. They’ve won only once in their last seven. They were in eighth spot in mid-February but have fallen back to 11th in the West, three points behind the eighth place Sharks, who have two games in hand on the Flames.

Their big failing has been on home ice (something the Canadiens know about) where they’ve not won in their past five outings (0-2-3) and they scored first in each of those games. They’re in the middle of a stretch in which they’ll end up playing nine of 11 at home, but it hasn’t gone well. They now have a 16-10-5 record in the Saddledome.

And they don’t play well against the East. They’re 4-7-5 against the Eastern clubs so far and after they play the Habs, they host the Jets.

More bad signs: The Flames were outshot 40-38 by Dallas and have been outshot for 13 consecutive games.

Still, they are in the race. “We keep going,” captain Jarome Iginla said. “There’s lots of hockey to be played … lots of points left. We need to put a string together. We know we need to win a good share of those games, but we believe we can do that.”

With Miikka Kiprusoff in goal, that’s certainly possible. The Flames workhorse has seen more pucks than most NHL netminders (his 1526 saves are third most in the league) and his save percentage of .921 is quite good for that amount of work. His 57 appearances are also third in the league.

Henrik Karlsson is his backup, but when the Flames plan to rest Kiprusoff, as they did against Anaheim Friday, they’ll again call up rookie Leland Irving, who played well against the Ducks, to start.

Here’s a guess on how the banged-up Flames might look Tuesday. Boone points out the game will be the 600th of ex-Hab Tom Kostopoulos’s career.

Alex Tanguay, Olli Jokinen, Jarome Iginla
Curtis Glencross, Matt Stajan, David Moss
Tom Kostopoulos, Roman Horak, Tim Jackman
Guillaume Desbiens, Greg Nemisz, Krys Kolanos

Derek Smith, Jay Bouwmeester
Mark Giordano, Scott Hannan
T.J. Brodie, Cory Sarich

Miikka Kiprusoff
Henrik Karlsson

1. Mattyleg says:

Okay, so as part of my regimen to free myself from the World of Sensual Delusion, I have begun to ponder the following Zen Koans:

- What is the sound of one Hab clapping?

- What was the Habs’ logo before J. Ambrose O’Brien was born?

- A fan approached Joshu and asked him if the Habs had true Cup-Contender-nature. Joshu replied, “Gomez.”

I will ponder these until I am enlightened to the True Nature of Hockey and the World.

MAN! Being a fan is hard work!

I’ve been saaaaved!!
    —Hope Springs Eternal—

• Bripro says:

- The sound of saturday’s Leaf game.
      - It was a positive time. They had choice of logos back then.
      - Actually, what he said was “go home, Ezcam!, not Gomez”
      Now you are enlightened.
      I can see by your quest for baptism that you are a lost soul, contrary to your signature.

2. H.Upmann says:

Cammy looks lost….. maybe he’s trying to get back to rue Stanley

3. HABZ24 says:

we need to play 40 solid mins of hockey to give the false image we are a strong team, then relax and ooopsie blow the 3rd period, in other words keep on doing what theye doing.need the big draft choice. markovs skating !! may play !! now yet another seasons over and means nothing, he wants to get in there. 100 bux he tweaks something and returns to the beach in florida for another year.

GO HABS GO

4. krob1000 says:

Nice to hear Crosby is cleared for contact….hope the kid plays well down the stretch…with him in the lineup I will become a Penguins fan for the playoffs…if he is out that changes and I have to start flipping coins…always gotta pull for Canadian teams and the Sens turnaround is a pretty good story but not likely enough. There is always the Wings who you have to respect, Nashville is interesting but NYR,PHilly and Boston…no thanks, St Louis? interesting one for sure…I wouldn’t mind that but with Crosby in and the Habs out that is who I will be backing.

• Mattyleg says:

I want Crosby to concuss Stamkos.
      That would be insane.

I’ve been saaaaved!!
      —Hope Springs Eternal—

• Bripro says:

So basically, you have no idea who you’re going to root for….

How about just a simple, Go Jets Go!

• krob1000 says:

I think the order is Crosby, then any Canadian team then Detroit, St Louis, Nashville, Chicago,etc,etc. T

Well I have a home town bias that puts the Jets first, but they have their work cut out just making it. If somehow that team gets the division title and has a 3rd seed, with their home ice advantage look out!

• Bripro says:

Hey Gerry.
        I saw sunday morning you were wondering how the painting is going.
        I finished (or so I thought)….then my wife came home….
        “Buy a light forest green” she had said. So I did…sort of light olive.
        So she gets home, looks at the walls and asks : “Are you OK with this colour?” her nose clearly out of joint.
        So guess what, last night I started re-painting a taupe earth tone.
        I think living in my own apartment would be cheaper. Oye..

• Sakukoivumc11 says:

On a side note, I will have a chance to fulfill a dream and play against all my idols growing up as I will be suiting up to play against the Montreal Alumni tomorrow night at the MacIntyre Arena in Timmins Ontario !! This will be a night to remember !

Now back to hockey, the Habs hopefully will only play Markov for about 4 of the remaining games as we need that lottery pick more than we need Markov ! The lottery pick will hopefully be with the team for 15 years and be a part of a youthful nucleus going forward !

paolo merenda

5. habfan53 says:

OK so Markov is skating with contact. Do we bring him back this year to test the knee in game conditions or wait and start all over gain in September?
    Personally I would like to see him this year even if it is only 3/4 games if he blows it out then we can get a top 4 defenceman in the off season. . If it holds then he can still strengthen it in the summer.

to paraphrase Nixon: If the Bruins do it, it is not illegal

• Cal says:

Play him. Once the knee is fully rehabilitated, what’s the point of waiting? The Habs have to find out what they need for the Draft and UFA day.

6. mattyboom says:

Cammalleri out against the team he called “losers” prior to being traded. seems like a little bit of a coincidence. no? maybe he is injured. but if not, little bit of a pussy. you better back up your words.

Offense wins games, defense wins championships. Best defense is a good offense. Vicious circle.

7. Dr.Rex says:

Randam thoughts:
    - The oilers are far too experienced at losing and sucking that there is no was they will lose hold of the #29 spot. Somehow they will make our team look like stars on Thrusday.
    - Cunneyworth has either lost his vision for the team or he is being handcuffed. Poor guy, they will probably fire him at the post game conference after game 82.
    - Gauthier will be “replaced” as GM but not “fired”. They will make it sound like a transitional move and probably give him some other fancy position “special advisor”.
    - Surely Craperle wont be playing when Markov returns. WE cant dress a dman just so he can be on teh 2nd PP unit.
    - Even teh players who are trying to earn NHL contracts and future roster spots seem uninterested on the ice. Ugh.

• ABHabsfan says:

That could be quite the game on Thursday, with both teams trying to tank, the goalies could play with no masks. Over/under on penalties- 1

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• bleedhabs81 says:

Oilers are going to play in our end most of the night.

They have a lot of talent up front and when they show up they are very fun to watch.

• Cal says:

Yes, Kaberle will play when Markov returns. It’s not as if Weber and Diaz are better.

• shiram says:

Diaz is better defensively.

• mattyboom says:

diaz is MUCH better than Kaberle. Defensively and with the puck. fine kaberle is good on PP, but you should be good when you have one less opponent on the ice. if not you suck big time

• Cal says:

Diaz is a tiny tot who is afraid to go in the corners. Have you seen him the last 10 games or so he’s played? He needs a dose of Hamilton, big time.

Nice to see Matty is exchanging one set of beliefs based on fantasy for another based on fiction. It’s a step in the right direction. He might soon enter the realm of possibilities. Still a ways off from reality but at least his nose is pointed in the right direction.

Keep at it Mats. The promised land is just around the corner.

9. secretdragonfly says:

I know this is mean-spirited but I would love to be able to claim Turco off waivers and really throw a 2×4 into Boston’s spokes.

10. Mattyleg says:

…is it just me, or are the entire internets slow?

I’ve been saaaaved!!
    —Hope Springs Eternal—

11. habbernack says:

I read articles on the habs and what a terrible year Plec is having; 12 goals, 42 pts and a minus 20. But it’s because of the constant line juggling and him never having the same linemates to develop chemistry. The same could be said of AK yet so many posters dumped on him. Grabowski 5yrs for 27.5 mil

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
    attitude determines how you do it

12. naweed235 says:

I had a weird dream last night: Emelin traded to Nashville for Sutter… Weird part? I was actually pissed at that trade

• ABHabsfan says:

That would be weird since I don’t think Nash has any Sutters, they have a Suter who’s pretty good, though

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

13. Boston Habs Fan says:

I agree they need scorers, but in today’s NHL teams with great defense and goaltending can sustain a run in the playoffs like the Bruins did last year. I just think a safe pick is certainly something to consider with the question marks like Grigs and Galynchucks knee

14. badbalance says:

Well Garbovski just signed for 5 million a year for like 5 years… Good luck getting a 20 goal scorer for less with this overpriced market. Letting AK(20 goal scorer) go that woulda signed here for 3 million was a mistake….

15. DorvalTony says:

Halak’s done it. He’s leapfrogged Johnathan Quick of L.A. and moved up to #3 in the NHL.

“A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It’s a proof. A proof is
    a proof. And when you have a good proof, it’s because it’s proven.” – Jean Crooktien

16. Mike D says:

Mr. Stubbs just posted this on Twitter and I thought I’d share it here:

Last 3 seasons, #Habs have lost 236, 262 & 253 man-games to injury. This season, 16 games still to play: 324 man-games lost

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

17. Boston Habs Fan says:

I understand and would like the Habs to draft a big center or scorer. However, it may be tough to pass up a Sure thing Defensmen like Dumba or Murray. Pair them with PK/Emelin for future and could be like Larry Robinson/Savard/LaPointe. Again with the big gambles after Yakupov, it may be a better way for them to go in draft and then try and get C in Free agency or Trade.

18. Chuck says:

In the 18 seasons prior to Gary Bettman becoming NHL commissioner, Canadian teams won 12 Stanley Cups.

In the 18 seasons that Gary Bettman has been NHL commissioner, Canadian teams have won 0 Stanley Cups.

Coincidence?

19. Bripro says:

So last night, l’AntiChambre mentioned that the cap, contrary to earlier predictions, will be going up next year.
    The Rocket must be rolling over in his grave.
    To think, he had to sell fishing tackle in the summer to supplement his income. They all worked, until Beliveau came along.
    And he signed the most lucrative deal of the time, $100,000 over 5 years. Wow…
    So yesterday, mini-primadonna Grabosky was given $5.5MM/year for 5 years? For being a spoiled little beotch?
    The players and their agents are completely de-sensitized!
    And who pays for this? We, the suckers…
    Between this, and the way the Habs have played this year, give me the GD remote….time to turn the nutbox off.

20. Mattyleg says:

Trying out the new sig…

This is for all the ‘realists’ out there.

C’mon in boys, the water is fiiiiine…

I’ve been saaaaved!!
    —Hope Springs Eternal—

21. joeybarrie says:

@HARDHABITS
    Its easy to pick and choose. But you have to look at everything. Can’t have all the players on the roster and the prospects too. They don’t all fit. So look at what we got right now. Also don’t ignore the problems we had with Ryder, SK, Ribeiro, and Grabovsky.
    Ribeiro. Cole
    Ryder. Gionta
    Latendresse. DD
    Higgins. Eller
    SK. Bourque
    AK. LeBlanc
    D’Ags. Moen.
    McDonagh. . Gorges
    Streit . Kaberle
    Komi. . Emelin
    O’Byrne. Geoffrion (and if you don’t like him, then Tinordi)
    Halak.. Price
    Grabovski. Gomez.. (only one of these that is a loss in my opinion)

Now look at cap hits, and point production this year and come back and tell me its the worst thing in the world,
    BY THE WAY…. We also have 2 extra draft picks and a top 5 coming to us.

• Willy says:

I would think Kaberle instead of Streit is a loss as well but i get what you are going for here and it makes sense.

• joeybarrie says:

Kaberle and streit are averaging the exact same amount of points per game for the Habs and Isles, respectively. 4.1 vs 4.25. Agreed. But its so close. I would prefer Streit too of course, But like Komi, wanted to try FA market. And chose to play for a bottom team with ZERO playoff chances. I would prefer a guy who left a non playoff team, for a playoff team. Kabs also just won the Stanley Cup. Played 16 min a game and lead the team in PP points in the playoffs.

22. shiram says:

I cannot seem to post.

23. shiram says:

The servers are brutal today.

24. habfan53 says:

I’m a little dissapointed to see that no mention or thread about Jean Guy Talbot suffering a stroke yesterday.
    Jean Guy was a mainstay on defence for the HABS and is one of only five surviving players that one ALL 5 cups from ’56-60.
    (Beliveau, H.Richard, Moore and Donny Marshall are the others).
    Get well soon Jean Guy we could use you now.

to paraphrase Nixon: If the Bruins do it, it is not illegal

25. shiram says:

Servers are quite wonky today, posts disappearing left and right…

26. FB says:

Wouldn’t it be nice if we could win the Lottery and jump up to first. However with our luck it’s more likely that somebody jump ahead of us and push us back a spot.

27. Habitoba says:

Could it be Cammy just doesn’t want to play against his former team where it seems nobody liked him? If it’s a legit injury, why wouldn’t he talk to the media? I know this is a dumb theory but this is the kind of crap that pops in my head after just waking up and I haven’t had my coffee yet

Just got some free tickets for tonight’s game. Section 110.

Who from the Calgary crew going to be there?

29. Nova Scotia Voyageurs says:

Who did we get in return for Grabovski?

30. third generation haber says:

Grigorenko is a bust! If we draft this enigma we may seriously regret it.

This is copied from the TSN draft page

Mikhail Grigorenko: There had been whispers over the past month that all may not be wonderful when it comes to the scouting world’s perception of Grigorenko’s competitiveness, but the whispers have grown into full-blown skepticism in some circles. “He could fall right off the map,” said one scout who asserted that his club won’t be considering him in the first round.

“He doesn’t want to compete. If he’s there at 25 and we are picking, we go by him.”

His concerns were echoed by another eastern conference scout who insisted his team will not select the talented Russian no matter where they end up in the standings. “He’s a dog. Take a look at what games Grigorenko gets his points. He gets a handful the other night against PEI. none at Moncton, and one assist (in the nationally televised game) in Saint John. A couple of weeks ago in Rimouski he’s minus 6. He scares the (crap) out of me.” While there’s no denying his skill level, and his 73 points in 39 games as a QMJHL rookie are a testament to his offensive abilities, there will be a lot of teams watching him closely in the playoffs to see whether he has the competitive streak scouts like to see in their top five prospects. As of right now a number of teams have several players ranked ahead of him, and that trend will continue if he does not learn to compete at a higher level.

Seriously hab fans, I don’t want us to risk drafting this guy at number 2 or 3 just because he’s a center.
    Forsberg, Galchenyuk, and Faksa seem safer picks at the forward position.

j.p. murray

• Mike D says:

That quote’s been posted here for a while now. Another scout went on record and completely opposed that saying there is nothing wrong with Grigo’s work ethic at all. Who knows which is correct?

I’m hoping Timmins and Co. are doing their own scouting and will make the right choice. Except for Yakupov who every scout has as their #1 hands down (and for over a year now), there doesn’t seem to be much consensus at all with the ranking of this year’s draft crop.

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• Bill says:

This has been up on the TSN site for a while now. It’s just one point of view, and there are plenty of other assessments of Grigorenko that say the exact opposite. so basically the picture of him is a little murky.

i wouldn’t advise swallowing a single article from TSN whole and believing it uncritically, much less form an entire opinion based just on that.

Full Breezer 4 Life

31. shiram says:

Higgins is not banned.

32. shiram says:

Chris Higgins is a banned word.

33. shiram says:

Chris Higgins is a banned word.

34. Mr_MacDougall says:

QUESTION:
    Assume Habs have the 3rd overall pick in the 2012 draft and a new GM at the helm. Which of these options would you “recommend” he do:
    a) Draft the best available player, whether it be Fwd or D, big or small.

b) draft a big center

c) draft the best Fwd available

d) attempt to package the 3rd overall pick, with a prospect and roster center-man (Pleks, Eller, or DD) for a proven Number One Center

e) none of the above, here is my suggestion ____________.

• The Cat says:

Trade for an established No 1 or 2 Dman.

• Rad says:

e) Select Yakupov if he is available, else take Alex Galchenyuk.

• third generation haber says:

With Subban, Emellin, Beaulieu, Tinordi, and Ellis in our system I believe we should draft the best forward available.

Leblanc, Pacioretty, and Eller are the only sizeable young forwards in our system that seem sure NHL offensive types. We clearly need help up-front and teams don’t want to trade their big centers away. Drafting this high, we could pick-up a forward who goes straight to the NHL.
      *Note: Avoid Grigorenko like the plague!
      Forsberg, Galchenyuk, and Faksa are my top choices.

j.p. murray

• petefleet says:

Draft could be as high as high as #2 and in that case, GRIGORENKO, MIKHAIL. #3 FAKSA, RADEK. We won’t go any lower unless lightning strikes. Either one of those picks is the best the Habs can do at the centre / forward position which is the immediate need. No D required at this time.

******************************************

“It just goes to show how difficult predictions are, especially ones made about the future.”

RGM
      ***Habs Forever***

35. joeybarrie says:

Brian Burke is doing such a great job compared to PG/Gainey.
    Connolly, Grabs, Phaneuf, Komi, Liles, Schenn, Kessel. 34.5 Million. 0.54 points per game on average.
    Gomez, Pleks, Kaberle, Gorges, MaxPac, Cole, Gio. 31.55 million. 0.52 points per game on average.
    Habs have 184 goals against, Leafs have 201.

• shiram says:

0.02 points average is not much, and that’s mostly on Gomez…

• bleedhabs81 says:

Sorry Shiram, but if you look at the list Joeybarrie has included 4 defensemen from Toronto (and we know Komi does not put up points) and only one from Montreal (who gets a decent amount of points.

I think we lose this comparison…

• shiram says:

Habs D certainly are not scoring enough.

• Mike D says:

Only one D from Montreal? I see Gorges up there who is extremely defensive and not a point-getter at all. Not to take away from your point, just thought it should be noted.

- Honestly yours
          Twitter: @de_benny

• bleedhabs81 says:

Yup, my mistake. I glossed over Gorges (as most people often do).

• joeybarrie says:

Kaberle. And I wanted to include our high salary, low point production to drive my point home even further. Didn’t think it fair to include Weber. Tried to go with top line minus one, and the rest donuts big contracts. I could’ve left out Gomez too.

• The Cat says:

Well if were going to play that game….St.Louis has scored one less goal than the habs, yet Price always loses cause the habs dont score.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Pfft. you under-rate the Habs. They destroyed the Red Wings.

• RGM says:

I’ll give Jaro credit – he’s got a lot of 1-0 shutouts this year. He also have a much more experienced, larger, and more physical D corps and a system less prone to cracking than the Martin/Cunneyworth regime has designed. But hey, he’s still got to stop the pucks and he’s done that.

The facts on Price’s season speak for themselves – in 17 of his 25 L’s, Habs have scored 1 or none. I’d love it if he had 17 shutouts, but that’s just not a realistic expectation.

———————–
        GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
        “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Mr_MacDougall says:

you mean 17 MORE shutouts.. and some of those games would have went to a shootout..

• The Cat says:

I realize that, thats why I said ‘as long were going to play that game’, cause its impossible to compare. Many factors can affect different players.

• RGM says:

Absolutely. Wasn’t sure if being sarcastic or serious, though, and y’all know me and my Price-bot ways. LOL

Blues are doing well and they are going to scare some teams in the West in the post-season, regardless of which goalie they go with between the pipes.

———————–
            GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
            “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

Anybody up for line combos? This is the Bob Gainey squandering assets line-up. It is the slap to the face of all the work Trevor Timmins has done. It is the taking for granted Habs fans because the brain trust in charge hasn’t a clue how to build a championship team.

Ready? It isn’t pretty. Oh the line-up is good. It’s that the Habs management are tinkerers hell bent on breaking something that could have been working fine.

Max Pacioretty – Mike Ribeiro – Michael Ryder
    Chr1s H1gg1ns – Tomas Plekanec – Guillaume Latendresse
    Sergei Kostitsyn – Mikhail Grabovski – Andrei Kostitsyn
    Ryan White – David Desharnais – Matt D’Agostini
    Maxime Lapierre

Ryan McDonagh – P.K. Subban
    Mark Streit – Ryan O’Byrne
    Mike Komisarek – Andrei Markov
    Yannick Weber

Carey Price
    Jaroslav Halak

It appears you have an extra forward on this line combo.

So what is up HIO’s anal retentive ass today? Can’t post comments with Jaroslav Halak in it?

Chris Higgins

• Ali says:

honestly that happens to me at least once a week. can’t post anything. HIO has awful servers. It’s like the Habs. Shoddy product, but we keep coming back.

hmmm responded to HH and he dissappeared, he must have that virus again.

40. Ali says:

I’d be shocked if Florida traded Huburdeau. They’re not going to draft that high this year, why would you trade an elite scoring winger on a team that is still telling their fans that they’re rebuilding?

So Toronto gave Grabo 5.5 over 5 years, that is more than they currently pay Kessel who has 2 years remaining. That would be too bad if Kessel got his nose out of joint being paid less.

• shiram says:

Salaries seem to have taken quite a hike up this season.
      Of course NHL revenues are up too, so the cap will rise, but still, it’s an alarming trend.

Yah I just read somewhere yesterday they expect the cap to go up again next season. Have to believe the difference in Atlanta in Wpg is one part of that continual escalation in revenues. If they ever move Phoenix to a hockey market it will continue to trend.

Makes you wonder what will happen at CBA negotiation, players currently have it pretty good, but the owners once again are outspending each other and shooting themselves in the foot. Same old same old.

• Ali says:

Glen Healy (he’s a moron but one who’s very plugged into the PA) said the NHL will definitely ask for a salary roll back again. Should be interesting.

• shiram says:

Revenues are up, and the cap is tied to that. But for the next CBA, owners want to have a bigger share of the revenues, so it will be interesting to see how the cap is affected.
          It seems this year everyone is overpaying to keep their players, the free agent pool is just not impressive.

• Chuck says:

Should be interesting to hear those Kessel negotiations. If Grabs is worth 5.5, then Kessel’s agent will surely be shooting for 7+.

• Cal says:

27.5 mil? And people here say how smart Burke is compared to Habs management. Hahahahahahahahhahahahahah!

42. petefleet says:

Unlike alot of posters on here, I really look forward to the World Championship Tourney. The hockey is fast and exciting. generally speaking, the talent is not watered down…mostly NHLers on the big 5 teams. With the Habs out of the playoffs this year, I think I’m looking forward to it a little more. Can’t wait.

******************************************

RGM
    ***Habs Forever***

43. Ali says:

5.5 for Grabovski. Makes that Pleks contract a steal.

• joeybarrie says:

5.5 for a 25 goal scorer. 5’11. 28.
      overpaid by at least a million. And even then. Making more than Lupul and kessel.
      going to be very difficult to fill the team out under the cap and I can’t wait to see how much they are gonna have to pay Kessel and Lupul, in 2 and 3 seasons.
      7 million left now for the leafs to sign 5 players. Ones that will help them get into the playoffs.
      to me, looks like the same old Leafs. Plateaued.

• Ali says:

I’d look for Komisarek to be in the minors next season. Add another 4.5 to work with.

I don’t think 5.5 is ridiculous for Grabo given how important he is to the Leafs. The issue is the term, 5 years, will he stay motivated? What hurts the Leafs is the Komisarek, Connoly, Schenn contracts as long as they aren’t producing. Not unlike our contracts to Gomez, Markov currently. Hopefully Markov shows he is back, and we unload somehow someway Gomez this summer.

• shiram says:

Player salaries are going up really fast this year.
      Hemsky, Ruutu and now Grabo.
      5.5 millions is not much of an overpayment, but it points towards a trend.

• Ali says:

Yeah i agree. Also teams are realizing now, if i let this player go, how much will it cost me to replace him? That’s causing them to slightly overpay. better the devil you know than the one you don’t (IE: KABERLE)

• Old Bald Bird says:

for five years too

44. Habsbill24 says:

In the ESPN.NHL team power rankings this week, Habs are dead last at # 30. The Hockey News player poll of top 50 players in the March 23rd issue, number of Habs in top 50, ZERO. That about says it all. The franchise has hit rock bottom and until Molson replaces PG, RC and the rest of the band of idiots running the team, fan interest will continue to dwindle. Unlike years past, there are plenty of other ways to spend your entertainment dollars than wasting them on a badly mismanaged hockey team.

45. RGM says:

Which Canadiens players, if any, do you want to see competing at the World Championhips?

Canada: Carey Price, Josh Gorges, PK Subban
    USA: Max Pacioretty
    Czech Republic: Tomas Plekanec
    Russia: Alexei Emelin and….if he plays 10+ games for the Habs with no ill effects, Andrei Markov
    Switzerland: Raphael Diaz

Anyone else?

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Cal says:

Actually, I’d rather see none of them play at the WC. Really tired of seeing Habs injured this year and would definitely hate it if any of them were hurt playing in a meaningless tournament.

• joeybarrie says:

Personally in my mind the only thing that Markov needs right now are hockey games. Sitting and reHABbing for another 4 months won’t help. He needs to get game fit.
        if won’t make it thru the worlds what is he going to accomplish forums next season?

I look forward to him playing in the Worlds, should be just the tonic (vodka) he needs!

Edit: But I have read countless times here that he is useless, washed up and no good, so based on that I don’t think Russia will even ask him to play.

• Chuck says:

I’ve got no problem with him playing at the Worlds. There’s an equal chance that he could be re-injured during the preseason schedule… a game’s a game. Considering the time that he’s missed, I’d look at it as a head start on training camp.

In 100% agreement with you Chuck. Let him gain his confidence back, and hopefully silence a certain population here.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Definitely Eller for Denmark, Weber probably for Switzerland too, Erik Cole for Team USA and why not Desharnais for Canada?

• petefleet says:

Erik Cole is an American. Weber will probably play for Switzerland. Unless the field is very, very thin at centre, I wouldn’t expect to see Gomer or DD playing at the worlds.

******************************************

RGM
      ***Habs Forever***

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Desharnais will have 60+ points at the end of the season. I really doubt Canada will find three more productive centers.

• petefleet says:

Don’t get me wrong, I like DD alot, but they will go with experience over numbers and DD is light on experience.

******************************************

RGM
          ***Habs Forever***

It would be amazing if Gomez played at the worlds and lit it up. One can pray, hope whatever we want to term it!

******************************************

RGM
      ***Habs Forever***

46. Marcusman says:

WE need goal scorers, the way i see it.. we are strong up the middle right now. With DD, Pleks, and Eller. We need to find two more #67′s and 72′s …..Gionta is truly missed cause he gives it his all each and every game. We need to find ourselves a 40 goal scoring winger to go with pleks & gionta next yr.

67-51-72
    21-14-ufa
    27-81-32

Right now we have too many people filling the same roles…45,15,53,11,60,71,57,25……all the same kind of effort and results with these guys.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Find a 40 goal scorer? Great idea. Stamkos aside, Malkin is the only one who´ll definitely have 40 goals at the end of the season. Overall there will be less than ten 40 goal scorers this season… If Pacioretty scores 30, Gionta and Cole 25 and Bourque 20, we´ll be okay. I also don´t know why everyone thinks Pacioretty, Desharnais and Cole will be our top line next season…

47. hansolo says:

The Flames may suck at home and play poorly against the East but we’ve also shown we’re often the tonic for a team’s woes — think of the Leafs, Caps and Devils recently.

I’d like a win as much as the next guy but I’m ok with the second overall pick in the draft, too (it seems wasted on Edmonton). Vive le char (tank)!

48. CalgaryHab says:

I’ll be at the game tonight with the usual strong support of many hab fans. They’ve been tough to watch in recent years when they go on their western road trip. This edition has had trouble being motivated when they have something to play for – I shudder at the outcome of tonight when there is nothing to play for – even with Calgary’s depleted team….

49. krob1000 says:

Cammi played center in LA…I often wondered why we never tried him out in MOntreal…tehy just assumed he couldn’t play the defensive system I guess and the fact he was our best goalscroer probably played a role as well. It used to get disucssed on here a lot the first year and up until last year on here…then it became apparent that no matter how poor Gomez played that Cammi was not going to get a shot up the middle.

• boing007 says:

AK at center could have been a possibility as well. Good puck handler. At least they could have tried it. Who knows? Anyway, too late now.

Richard R

50. Mr_MacDougall says:

The only way this team can compete in the next few years is if they can find a trading partner for their 1st overall pick (In a package including either Eller or Plekanec.. and a prospect). Also, the return would have to be an elite Number One Center.

Markov becoming healthy would also be HUGE. Many forget what he brings, one of the best PP qb’s in the league.. and his little backwards shootout backhander move haha

• krob1000 says:

? what is the relevance of this? a stat line for some guy named Mikahil Yakubov? what is the relevance that is name is one letter different from Yakupov? did I miss something on here?

51. HabsFan82 says:

with good goaltending the Habs can beat Calgary

52. Boston Habs Fan says:

Another team that did what Edmonton is doing….Pittsburgh! Marc-Andre Fleury 1st overall, Malkin 2nd overall, Crosby, first overall, Staal 2nd overall. All in consecutive years. One way to rebuild I guess

• Mr_MacDougall says:

So did the Islanders, Panthers, Thrashers/Jets, Columbus… Teams that haven’t.. NYR, Boston, Philly, Detroit, Vancouver, NJ, San Jose.

53. WindsorHab-10 says:

Cammy’s out because he’s afraid.
    Afraid of getting hit by Emelin.

54. aemarchand11 says:

Edmonton keeps on losing, suprise suprise…… Two 1st overall draft picks in a row and they still cant get out of the basement. Shouldnt they have some MINIMAL improvement by now? Theyll probably draft grigorenko and fail to identify the obvious flaws on the blueline.

55. rogus says:

The Squid has turned Turtle. Not surprising after calling your team a bunch of losers and not exactly lighting it up yourself. Prima Donna sissy!!!

56. Muckbringer says:

Did anyone catch cammy on mr d last night? if so, did it look like it was dubbed over to say he played for the flames?

57. LafleurGuy says:

Interesting fact that Andrei Markov was a 6th round, 162nd overall draft pick. Kind of like our Datsyuk-lite.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Un Canadien errant says:

We do hit on some later-round picks, but the repeated misses in the first round really kill us. Looking at the dearth of talent now in Hamilton and on the Canadiens is due in large part to misses in the first round and not having second-rounders, where we usually pick up some decent players, when we have picks.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

58. WestHab says:

Good Morning and welcome to Calgary. Too bad about Cammy but he stayed healthier longer than I expected. Wouldn’t you know that he be out just in time for this one. I’ve been looking forward to tonight since September when tix went on sale and we get to be inside this year. GO HABS GO!

“Merci beaucoup.” Randy Cunnyworth

59. LafleurGuy says:

Seems HIO posters have hit a wall! SurreyPal is posting at 3AM, and even Mr. Hackel is carrying the ball at 5:43 Calgary time. And….the past couple of days have been dull, and full of platitudes. ( Boston sucks!). So…with about 16 games to go, I’d like to give an early synopsis of a regrettable year.

Plusses start with the acquisition of Eric Cole. I was a pessimist, but now I feel he is our best ever UFA signing. David Desharnais is the type of underdog we all root for. Movies are made based on his type of overachieving. Max Pacioretty (seems Max is his full first name) played superbly: hopefully, he will continue to improve. Josh Gorges returned to play very well, after knee reconstruction; this has been his best season. That’s it. For the rest of the team, many of whom I’m a big fan of, the highest grade I can give any of them is a C. I’m not forgetting the rookie defenceman, the sophomore, nor our All-Star. The Great Dane’s 4 goal night reminded me of Claude Larose’s 4 goal night. However Larose followed up with a hat-trick game, eight goals in three games and 26 goals for the year. I think he got to play right wing with the incomparable Jean Beliveau that season. Larose also didn’t have a penchant for highsticking late in games. Hopefully, next year’s group of coaches can correct Eller’s “schtick.”

“May you live in interesting times.”

60. novahab says:

Hockey analysts what a joke. On trade day they report what they are told. This year was a real joke as they guessed on Nash and prayed he was going to Toronto. I am some middle class nobody who can’t be farther from the NHL and I knew he wasn’t going to Toronto. It’s the same with reporting on the NHL. All stories are reported after the news is out and one story, all papers and TV shows just recycle the same trash. I said Markov would be back playing in two weeks and nobody reported that. That’s not becuase I have a insider. It’s because i have a brain in my head and I am not spoon feed what I think or write.

• Malreg says:

Nobody said he was going to Toronto. It was reported Toronto was on his list, which was true, and they made a pitch, but refused to part with Gardiner.

It was the Rangers who were the closest. In the end Columbus turned down an offer of Dubinsky, prospects JT miller, Christian Thomas, Tim Erixon, and a 1st round pick.

61. The Cat says:

My question of the day is: do hockey analysts really have their own opinions or do they just toe the company lines with their buddy teams/GMs? I say this not just cause of the media induced Carey Price mirage of greatness, but also with regards to Desharnais. Its interesting that at the beginning of the year, the only thing they said about him was his skating wasn’t great, his lack of size, would have trouble making it in the NHL even as a 4th line centre. Now I doubt any of them ever took much time to see him in Hamilton, so where did the opinion that they all shared come from? And how come not one raved about his playmaking? Why is it only Pacioretty that said good things about him in the beginning?

• matraque says:

Probably based on the fact that everyone said he would never make it… Midget, Junior, East Coast, AHL…

I’m happy he’s proving everyone that he is a great and maybe, maybe, a gifted player.

Also proves that Habs should always look at what they have in their backward. Even if the guy was not drafted.

——
      Canadien en 5!
      Never go Full Retard

• Habsrule1 says:

Mirage of greatness?

Go Habs Go!!

I think the problem with most analysts is the love affair with numbers. Things like stats and size become the #1 ranking system used.

A player like Desharnais, due to size and not road runner speed almost immediately is pigeonholed. This will always be the case with the undersized player, especially if not drafted by an NHL club.

As for Price and the mirage, I think many people on this site focus only on the shortcomings of our team. When I talk to many of my friends who happen to be fans of Boston, Toronto, Detroit and a few others, all of them comment on how much they like Price and feel he is one of the best goalies in the NHL.

Our team right now is flat out terrible, our defence core has 3 NHL calibre dmen on it and yet people get frustrated that Carey isn’t stealing wins for the team. Sure he like all goalies lets in some goals he would like to have back, but every goalie in the league has that. But here people only focus on the mistakes made by Carey. Just my opinion, not directed specifically at you Cat, and I think you raised an excellent question/point regarding hockey analysts and the way they toe the company line.

• Mustang says:

I love the fact that Desharnais is making it despite all of the criticism he has had to face. I think that Carey Price is a very good NHL caliber goaltender, and of course all goalies do let in some shots that just should not get past them. What bothers me is that the media tends to make a big deal out of virtually every stop he makes. He is very good but he is not Jacques Plante, Ken Dryden, and Patrick Roy all wrapped into one as the media would like to have us believe. His positional play is probably as good as anyone in the NHL right now but he sure could improve in the shootouts. I would also like to see better concentration early in the games when he seems to have a tendency to let in weak goals.

• LafleurGuy says:

At this time last year, we had Roman Hamrlik, James Wisniewski, Jaroslav Spacek, and Hal Gill. Explains much.

“May you live in interesting times.”

62. matraque says:

Well well… Seems like he might be scared of some of our guys. I guess he was really hated in the room and now he’s scared of the consequences.

I don’t care if Bourque is lazy. I prefer Bourque over this selfish overpaid “scorer”

——
    Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

63. RetroMikey says:

Cammy out? Gionta out? This tells that “smurfs” are really fragile on our team even when Cammy was on our team.
    We need to get bigger on our club and small and skilled players to assemble an NHL team like we did was an experiment that was a disaster! Thanks BG!
    The only exception is Desharnis, who is built like a horse and this guy would be on my team in a heartbeat.
    As for Markov coming back soon, who cares? The guy is getting older and IMO, is he really going to make a difference next year for us? Is he going to play like the old Markov?
    Whoever is the GM of our club this summer, package Markov in a blockbuster trade and get the big skilled CMan we need on this team.
    Tank I say! Tank!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• CanadienBoy says:

Playing center put him right in the traffic u right those guys don’t last both Gomez and Gio pay the price for they rings and they are done small player’s have shorter career and Cammy will be shorter as he is birtles

64. D-man says:

I really hope they crank up their intensity and toughness a notch (maybe add a little intimidation in there to boot) or else I’m afraid this will be a hopeless road trip for yours truly. Let’s hope Bourque can get in there a score a few.

65. deuce6 says:

He may have ticked off a few players in our dressing room…The guy may have a touch of the “Montreal Flu”..The guy is yellow, I tell ya..

Just strange that he has an “upper body injury” and nobody can confirm when it happened…..Hmmmmmmm

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

I do wonder if perhaps he has a concussion, seems when players get a mysterious upper body injury no one can identify we find out later it was concussion. Speaking of which Seems that is probably what Travis Moen may be suffering from.

66. Habitant in Surrey says:

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…in Red Light, I enjoy Your taste in music Stu …any reason why You don’t include some tunes in HIO ?

…as in, a little ‘Otis’ ? :)

• Stu Hackel says:

Thank, HiS. No, there’s no particular conscious reason I don’t put music on my HIO posts (I’ve done it once or twice, but mostly don’t). I often write these late at night and to take another 15-30 minutes to find the appropriate song would keep me from going to sleep, but that’s not the reason. Maybe it’s more that I write these differently than the SI.com posts, which are more theme based, and it’s easier to come up with a song for them. These are team based, and I’m just not thinking about songs while I’m writing them. I guess I’d throw one in if it came to me, but that just doesn’t seem to happen.

67. Cal says:

Great scouting report as usual, Mr. Hackel, he said, doing his best PG imitation.

68. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Mike an effective centre ??? …now WHY ??? was not THAT experimented with in Montreal ???

…another perplexing question I just throw My hands in the air trying to rationalize how Our Habs’ Coaches seem so tunnel-visioned :( …if it’s do-able in Cowtown, ain’t it do-able in Poutineville ???

…AND, WHAT ??? is Leafer Boonez doin’ on the road ??? …scouting for the leafs ??? :)

• The Cat says:

Because the management hasnt drafted or traded to have a good mix. Its like Latendresse, he wasnt a hard hitting power forward ever in his hockey life, hes a sniper, but the habs had a need and they tried to convert him into one.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…after 60 years as a Habs’ Fan, I ain’t goin’ anywhere …but, there are times (uncountable times in the past 20+ years) when I wonder where the unique hockey creativity and fundamental ‘smarts’ of Our Team has disappeared

…PostScript: don’t bother explaining ‘where’ it went, or ‘why’ …I already know …but, THAT does not keep Me from continuously askin’ Myself :)

69. Muckbringer says:

it was just the angle from behind her head and the way her head was moving. looked to me like they had a whole habs/leaf thing they had to change. i liked the walk like a pretty boy thing. he really does.

70. Cal says:

The cut to Cammy’s face when she said Calgary, but didn’t correct it when the principal mentioned his hat-trick for the Habs.

In fairness to Eller, he spent all last season unable to do much recovering from Shoulder surgery. I think provided he goes into the offseason relatively healthy we should see a spike in strength and conditioning.

72. shiram says:

But he did add some muscle in the last off-season, and his even strenght #’s are pretty good compared to Pleks and DD, considering Eller gets less time, and usually lesser wingers.

If he can get another 5-7lbs on that frame will be very helpful. I like the guy and given the role he has had to play on this team, there is still much upside.

74. shiram says:

Sure, the more the better. The guy is still quite young, and has alot of upside. Hopefully the team (and fans) are patient enough with him, so he can play to his best,

75. Malreg says:

Are you out of your mind? Plekanec AND a Top-3 pick for Huberdeau?