Cammalleri’s slash proves costly

Michael Cammalleri and the Canadiens will both pay a price for his
uncharacteristic attack on Islanders’ rookie Nino Niederreiter Saturday
night in Quebec City.

The league announced Monday that Cammalleri
will be suspended one game which means that the team won’t have him in
the lineup for the regular-season opener Thursday in his hometown of
Toronto.

The suspension was announced shortly after 3 p.m.,
three hours after Cammalleri spoke by phone to NHL vice-president Colin
Campball.

Cammalleri, who led Canadiens in scoring in the
playofs,  received a five-minute major and game misconduct on the play,
which occurred with 3:08 left in the second period.

Under the
terms of the Collective Agreement, and based on his average
annual salary, Cammalleri will forfeit $32,258.06. The money goes to the
Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund. Capgeek calculates Cammalleri’s fine as being equivalent to $268.81 for a person making $50,000 before taxes.

Cammalleri left the arena
in Clermont after practice Monday and went directly to the team bus
where he talked to Campbell. He emerged from the bus to sign autographs
for fans, but said he wouldn’t discuss the Niedereitter incident until Tuesday.

Before the suspension was announced, head coach Jacques
Martin cited Cammaleri’s clean record in the past and hoped that he
would escape a suspension.  A team spokesman said Martin wouldn’t have
any further comment until Tuesday.

Kristo disciplined

1. SLONCOLD says:

uhm wouldn’t a blind side hit indicate u didn’t see it coming?

2. habaddict_andy says:

Yea seriously, that picture make it hard to reply about hockey.  It make me want to say instead “smack that a**”.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

3. habaddict_andy says:

I don’t mean to be the one talking against my team but slashes are usually quick reactions in the heat of the moment, not hunting down a person so to give him a slash.

4. W35T5ID3 says:

Ok sorry seriousfan….my bad….caps lock off….promise.

5. HabFab says:

God, I love how you come on here and continue to make such an ass of yourself!

Please continue!!

6. Everlasting1 says:

I hope you weren’t emotionally traumatized over the incident. Be warned, it takes a thick skin to endure a full season, that hasn’t begun yet.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

7. pic1983 says:

Dont get your panties all in a bunch over there, it was a little slash.  Cammy shouldnt be swinging his stick and an 18 year old rookie shouldnt be trying to decapitate a superstar player with a blindside hit in the PRE-SEASON.

If little nino didnt want to settle it like a man, than he shouldnt be attempting to hit to injure.

8. SeriousFan09 says:

Caps lock users make it difficult for them to be taken seriously, words are weapons but they need not be highlighted so as to not discredit the person issuing the opinion. You can’t break through to idiots by yelling loudly either, otherwise I could eliminate all Leafs fans by walking around TO with a megaphone.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

9. CBrady12 says:

no maybe this sport isnt for you, since you seem to know nothing about it

10. W35T5ID3 says:

WHY?

MY WORDS ARE WEAPONS

CAPS LOCK IS NEEDED TO EMPHASIZE THINGS TO SOME IDIOTS ON HERE.

11. W35T5ID3 says:

IM WIT U G….100%

12. SeriousFan09 says:

Well Cammalleri kind of got his punishment when Havlat played like his hair was on fire for the rest of the series and really finished the Flames off.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

13. bwoar says:

So you’d prefer Cammalleri got his behind handed to him by the rookie?  The guy should use his hockey to score goals.  And keep his fists in his gloves.

Sorry but there’s no place in hockey for that kind of ‘stickwork’ and even less for fighting.  It’s a hockey game.  Go watch MMA if fisticuffs is really so important to you.

14. Everlasting1 says:

So one is obliged to fight after a check? lol If you deem that a ‘chickensh!t’ hit, maybe this sport isn’t for you.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

15. CBrady12 says:

good point…i agree…the fact that he chased him around the ice before slashing him leads me to believe he was probably challenging the kid

16. JIMVINNY says:

You saying so does not make it so.  I disagree, and clearly many others do as well.  Niederreiter was aiming for his head, the fact that Cammaleri saw him coming was the only thing that saved him.  It was a textbook blindside hit, right up until Cammaleri saw him coming at the very last second.  That doesn’t make it an OK hit.

17. jbroderi says:

valid points!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

18. sholi2000.com says:

If the NHL carries out the entire season suspending guys for slashing, then fine.

You’ll all see.

It happens once a week in the NHL, and there are never suspensions for this kind of slash.

And lastly, if people want to talk about the intent to the face, well there’s no ground to stand on there.  If Cammalleri wanted to slash his face, he would have made contact, the guy’s a sniper 🙂

They Call Me Shane

19. g says:

thank god a supporter-I was getting worried

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

20. andrewberkshire says:

Love the acting by Havlat there, it was barely a graze. However knowing Havlet it probably gave him 3 concussions and a broken rib.

21. jbroderi says:

That depends if pleks went after the guys head a few seconds earlier.  You can slice it anyway you want, and I think the 1 game is fine, but if cammy went down in a heap, neidereter(i will not waste my time with the spelling)  would have gotten that game and another 5!  You have to look at the momentum of the shoulder on these types of hits.  If he is trying to go shoulder to shoulder, the follow through will be straight ahead.  His arm clearly starting at a 45 degree angle and went higher after contact.  I am not saying it was a really dirty hit, but it was from the blind side and did follow up high.  Just read the rules.  Cammy got a deserved game, but if he went down with a concussion, which we have seen from lesser hits, then this clown would be watching a lot of games.

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

22. g says:

check it out-no suspension on any of these

It’s very important for toronto to win don’t ya know

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

23. JIMVINNY says:

For those people saying “you’d be furious if it was a hab that got attacked” I have something to add.  Yep, I’d be furious if a guy like Eller or Pacioretty tried to hurt a respected veteran say like Marty St; Louis, and then skated away when Marty wanted to fight.  It was a chickensh*t hit, and it was even more chickensh*t to turn and skate away when Cammaleri clearly wanted more.  No, the slashes shouldn’t have happened, but they wouldn’t have, if Niederreiter had manned up and dropped like gloves like Cammaleri clearly wanted.

24. CBrady12 says:

lol me too…but you know what i meant

25. christophor says:

If it was Ryan White who was attacked by Cammy, I’d be worried about our “leadership core”.

26. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Yup, Nino pulled a Matt Cooke move there, and I would hate to see any of our players get a post concussion syndrome and get their careers potentially ruined like Savard.

Cammy escaped Nino’s dirty hit, and I am happy he did.

I’d rather take Cammy slashing that douche than get a post-concussion syndrome and missing an entire year.

That being said, I still think Cammalleri needs to control his anger on-ice. He’s a great player, he can do better than that.

27. Mark C says:

I’m fine with Cammi getting a game, but Lucic gave Komi a two hander and then jumped in 2009, he got off scott free: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa4AvE8YR-I

There is precedent for not given suspending for a two hand slash in the back of the legs. I think the upper body stick contact was the worst and should have been given a 1 game suspension like what O’Brien did to Avery last year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jtwq_rklgA

28. CBrady12 says:

If it was Ryan White that was “attacked” by cammy i would be willing to bet anything he would not have missed the third period

29. Everlasting1 says:

Nino’s hit was clean, shoulder to shoulder, and Cammy saw it coming. Cammy got off light.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

30. light_n_tasty says:

Just means Cammy won’t have the Laff goons attempting to injure him.

I wonder how long it will take that NYI prospect to recover from his injuries.  What was it again?  A bruised skate-blade?

31. CBrady12 says:

No kidding…the way these people talk youd think he took a full golf swing…it was barely a tap…the kid isnt even hurt…he has a bruised calf…good thing he missed the rest of the game to take care of his severe injuries

32. g says:

Funny-I like to think that we only have ghosts, as they are classy-they have goblins-but I get your point

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

33. likehoy says:

the stick tap yes, but cammalleri’s actions in the whole build up was taking into consideration.

– I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

34. puck face says:

well the money is irelevant to a multi $$$ and we all knew he deserved something and the minimum something he could get was 1 game , so not that costly really?

35. Lazarus_taxa says:

I’m pretty sure this is gonna fire him up.  Remember when Plecky came back from suspension?  Just a little look on bright side…

36. g says:

I wouldn’t

I’ve watched this thing over and over. The stick TAP warranted the 5 min major and game misconduct-nothing more.

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

37. avatar_58 says:

Eh. Be all the more sweeter if they beat the leafs now, with Markov, Cammy and maybe Hamr all out.

38. Malreg says:

Anyone who thinks he doesn’t deserve a 1 game suspension needs to take off their Bleu-Blanc-Rouge glasses.  How would you be reacting if some one 2-handed Plekanec on the ankle?  The same people would be crying for the opposing player to be suspended for 10+ games, and they would say the “blindside” hit was a clean hockey hit.

It’s not a conspiracy, he should have known better, and he deserves 1 game.

39. JF says:

It could have been much worse.  I thought he’d get at least 2 games and maybe as many as 5, since, although Niederreiter apparently suffered only a bruise, the intention to injure was unmistakable.  I hope Cammy will keep his temper in check after this.  Ugly incidents like Saturday night’s tarnish the image of the game and of our Habs.

40. habaddict_andy says:

I think we have a pretty good idea if it was one of our guys being slashed we would be loosing our heads.

41. Storm Man says:

Maybe not in the streets of Montreal, But on HIO you just need a spark to have a riot here. 🙂

42. SeriousFan09 says:

Dude, Caps lock OFF.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

43. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Thank God it’s only 1. I was thinking 2 or 3. I don’t mind him taking a night off against Toronto, but we certainly need him against Pittsburgh on Saturday.

44. Malreg says:

No, but if the goalie stalks the player around the ice for a shift, purposely makes contact with his face with his stick, and then takes a swipe at the guys ankle, he’ll be suspended.

It’s not the slash it’s self, it’s the context of it.

45. W35T5ID3 says:

I DONT CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS ON HERE.CALLING CAMMYS STICK WORK CHEAP.WTF?REALLY?UNREAL.

IF YOU DONT THINK THE NEIDERRYDER BLIND HIT TO CAMMY WAS POTENTIALLY DEVASTATING AND MUCH MORE CHEAP THAN YOU NEED YOUR EYES CHECKED.

–I   THOUGHT  THE  LEAGUE  WAS  TRYING  TO   AVOID   THIS   KIND   OF   BLIND EAST WEST HIT???

SCREW U COLIN CAMPBELL AND SCREW THIS NHL GARBAGE DISCIPLINARY ACTION…..TOTAL B.S.

46. Danno says:

Campbell’s decision is not expected to spark the Rocket Richard Riot parts two.

But I could be wrong about that…

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

47. namgel says:

Cammo just got zapped by the agression from Hab – Nordique games Past.  The Collisee has ghosts too.

48. danedmunds says:

Wow I am really surprised by the comments saying he didnt deserve it. He does deserve it, and I think is very lucky it was 1 game. I am the biggest fan of Cammy but what he did was really really stupid. If the tables were turned and someone did that to a Hab people would be freaking.

49. 123456 says:

positive thinking!!

50. J Haul says:

You just KNEW they’d kick him out for the opener vs the leafs. gah

How about the blindside hit that instigated the slash?

51. W35T5ID3 says:

SCREW COLIN CAMPBELL.

52. 123456 says:

i think 1 game is good. i wuld have given him 2 – u have to realize if this hit ws on cammy we’d all be b!ching.

the slahes were bad enough but he skated around after him – plenty of time to let it go.

not that the initial hit was right – but it was not that bad… in hockey u have ot learn to pick your spots – after the hit get up and get in his face…. then run him later

lets go habs!!

53. BJ says:

Lucky its only one game for Cammi. They should bring Henry and White for the first game at least.

54. W35T5ID3 says:

Dude i so called this 1 gamer.F you Coli Campbell you douchebag.Hmmm Savard suffers alone in a dark room from a dirty blatent blindside elbow from the suspensionLESS Cooke and Cammy get a game for what???It was harmless and he was irate cuz nino neiderryder set him off with his cheap stuff.What about if that blindsided hit had gotten more of cammys head and knocked him out in a room with Savard???It coulda very easily have happened ….Screw the NHL…..Campbell has lost his marbles.Im so mad about this.

55. Chuck says:

O the positive side, I’d rather Cammy play against Pittsburgh and have the night off against Toronto.

56. sholi2000.com says:

They Call Me Shane

57. Chuck says:

Yeah, that’s about the size of it.

58. munch17 says:

At least Cammy and Markov won’t get hurt the first game of the year!

59. CBrady12 says:

I just realized you are being sarcastic…yes you do see it EVERY DAY…its called high sticking…the kid didnt even draw blood… kindly remove your tampon…its HOCKEY

60. SeriousFan09 says:

It will be if they do it Billy Smith style.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

61. _Habsoloutly_ says:

So does this mean that every NHL goalie that takes a slash at the leg of the guy trying to screen him in front of the net is gonna get suspended one game?

62. CBrady12 says:

So  bruise someones calf and you get to miss the first game of the year…but make a guy miss the entire year because his brain no longer functions properly and YOURE GOOD TO GO!

63. nick says:

Ah, so they should have thrown him out for 5-10 games huh?

64. CBrady12 says:

I know…if you watch the amount of abuse the “stars” take on a daily basis..its surprising they don’t snap more often…

65. SLONCOLD says:

whether or not you’re a dirty player, you should be punished ofr your actions accordingly. i know it doesn’t always work out that way in the nhl.

66. adam76 says:

You are so correct – I see players swing at another players face EVERY DAY.  I mean, its HOCKEY!!!!!

67. adamkennelly says:

didin’t even make it to the regular season to have the Habs lack of toughness have an impact.  opponents can take liberties with our players without worrying about being held accountable for it or worrying about any retribbution against their skilled guys….some 18 year old punk roughs up our best player in a freakin pre-seaon game and he needs to react himself….perfect….

68. nick says:

Tom K. got 3 games for hitting, and injuring Van Ryan, on top of that he had the repeat offender status.

Given Cammi and Nino were getting pretty chippy… Nino wasn’t injured… and that Cammy doesn’t hold the repeat offender status… I can’t see how he would have gotten more than 1-2 games… MAX.

I don’t see how Cammi is getting away with anything…

69. HABSsince92 says:

I really don’t think Cammy did anything horribly wrong so I’m ok with the 1 game for losing his composure. Anything more than that I think would have been unnecessary…..this isn’t a dirty player/repeat offender we’re talking about.

Been a Habs fan since I was in 2nd grade and sat behind Patrick Roy at the Aud.

70. SeriousFan09 says:

As stupid as it sounds, there was not a rule against what Cooke did, nor what Mike Richards did earlier in the season that set a precedent for the NHL to go by when they didn’t suspend him for scrambling Booth’s head.

NHL doesn’t think protecting the head is a priority.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

71. CBrady12 says:

Dude…you call that an attack…good lord…dont ever play hockey cause you’re going to find you get attacked a lot

72. Black Jacques Halak says:

Surprised, yet happy that it was only one game.  It was an uncharacterstic cheap shot that Cammi clearly knew was wrong and could be seen as a deliberate attempt to injur.  He got off lucky.  If he does it again, he wont…

VS Leafs they are going to come out much like the FLyers did.  Smash and Grind.  will the Habs be able to beat it?  I can;t wait to watch…

73. G-Man says:

Cammi is one lucky fella, unlike Lapierre last season. The “system” of not suspending scoring stars is flawed and stupid, and borders on being dangerous. It gives a green light to all “stars” to attack other players at will.

74. habaddict_andy says:

This incident was nothing compared to what Matt Cooke did to Marc Savard.  Yet Cooke did not get anything for something that could’ve ended Savard career.