Multimedia: Cammalleri skates, might be back this week

P.K. Subban

Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban after practice.
Stubbs video capture

From practice at the Bell Centre, where the Canadiens practised this morning following their first of a scheduled two team photos this season (the second would come after the trade deadline with the roster headed toward the postseason, touch wood).

Michael Cammalleri, cut in the leg eight days ago in Winnipeg, skated part of the practice and while he’ll miss tomorrow’s home game against Buffalo, head coach Jacques Martin hinted that the forward might be back by the end of the week, the Habs in Pittsburgh on Thursday and home to Toronto on Saturday.

Defenceman Jaroslav Spacek, injured (ribs?) in the same Winnipeg game, skated after practice and is said to be about two weeks away. Seen in the dressing room following his skate, he declined interview requests, joking, “I’m not here.”

Forward lines were unchanged from the Saturday game against Colorado, but defence pairings were tweaked: Gill with Diaz, Gorges with Subban, Webber with Emelin.

Some video from today (apologies for the colour balance of the raw action):

1. habs08 says:

Sorry, a little off topic, but anyone know who makes that hat that PK’s wearing and/or where I can pick one up?

2. j2w4habs25 says:

where the morning habs news for this fine cold tuesday morning?

Carey Price #31

3. immortalhab says:

It’s funny to me that the coach has to speak French but when there are decent French players they chase them the fcuk out of town. Lapierre, Begin, Tanguay, Bergeron, Picard and Pouliot generally played hard every night. AK, who I agree has more talent than most of them could have cared less who he played for. I sincerely hope that our language skills lead us to our next Stanley Cup so that all the idiots I thought were wrong can shake a finger at me and say : “we shure lurned him!”

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Bergeron, Picard, Pouliot? You´re really funny. The only one we should have kept is Lapierre. Btw: The only player we had in the last couple of years who definitely didn´t care what team he played for was Komisarek, a popular player…

• j2w4habs25 says:

We need guys like Briere, Vinny, St Louis, Gagne, Lapps – ect…

Carey Price #31

4. ManApart says:

I’d like to answer Smart Dog’s questions. A few interesting ones.

1. Q:Has your feeling about PG changed since last year? If so is it better or worse?

A: My feeling is the same as it was last year the year before and the same way I felt about Gainey since the day he fired Carbo. I felt Gainey should have left at the end of that season after being swept by the Bruins. We needed a fresh start with some younger, more current hockey minds. I feel Gainey and Co. are too set in their ways and adapt way too slowly to things. They have to get smacked in the face with a situation before they see it. Not very forward thinking I find.

2. Q: How much of the Habs early stumble has to do with Muller being gone? Some? None? Lots?

A: Difficult to say at this point. A little at least. He was in charge of the PP, and that has been garbage so far so…Was the communicator of the coaching staff as well. More of the issue has been the downgrade in experienced defencemen on the back end and Price’s early season averageness. As we seemed to have been saying forever now, when Markov comes back that should help. Believe it or not Spacek could help as well. If Subban keeps having his sophmore jinx season another top 4 guy will need to be brought in somehow.

3. Q:If it were to happen that the Habs are looking very questionable for the playoffs come mid-January, is Martin’s head on the chopping block, yes or no?

A: No. PG will not throw his friend under the bus as Gainey did to Carbo. If you want Martin gone, you’ll have to get rid of PG as well, which Molson could very well do if the Habs miss the playoffs.

4. Q: If we missed the playoffs, would you fault Gionta more than other players?

A: Can’t answer now. It depends on what kind of season he has and what kind of season the other players have. If Gionta scores 30 and is a + player and plays hard, there’s only so much you can ask for. If he scores under 20 and the Habs miss the playoffs, he would deserve to come under fire along with whoever else of the core underachieved. Gomez anybody? If everyone plays close to their capabilities I think this team is a low seeded playoff team (7,8). Longer shot at 6th.

5. Q:I f Martin were to leave within this season, who (seriously) is the best VIABLE replacement (i.e. not Scotty Bowman, not Guy Boucher, not Timo, not the Mentalist).

A: We al know, the new coach will have to speak French. No question about that. Seriousfan mentioned Jodoin. Not bad. Personally, I think the right man for the job is Michel Therrien.

Lastly, what the hell is wrong with Tbay? They look awful to start the year. Looks like father time has finally caught up with Roloson

• HABSIN09 says:

I don’t normally weigh in with the big dogs, but…
      1. I think PG is a wise GM. Contract signing costs can be suspect, but he has pulled off some neat moves, bringing in role fillers at the right time. (Moore, Halpern, Eller) and of course the ballsiest of ballsy moves with the goalies.
      2.Muller’s loss is huge. As said, he was the communicator on the team, in charge of the powerplay and had lived the role in his career so could relate.
      3.I think Martin is for sure on the chopping block if the Habs are due for a short season, as is PG. “The System” has got us to the Conference Finals, and last year’s early exit, so if it continues to go down, it will be time for a fresh face.
      4.Gionta needs to put up numbers for sure. But I believe he is the best choice for captain on this team. It is very rare you say, hmmm, is Gionta playing? I firmly believe, as Montreal has always done, is that it all rests on the goalie. And while I am a big fan of Carey Price, if he doesn’t win 40 games or so, we’re done. So I suppose I would blame him more for not living up to my expectations, as unfair as that may be.
      5.It has got to be Gainey

• eric says:

Why didn’t PG resign some of these players only to have to go out to have to find players to replace them. The team players should have picked the captain as had been the tradition with the habs.

• habsguy says:

although I agree with your #5 answer, it really pi$$es me off that we could have a NON french speaking Scotty Bowman out there and they wouldn’t hire him !!!!

• eric says:

Get rid of the 3 stooges. How about BobHartley

5. j2w4habs25 says:

yay TML didnt get the 4-0-0….

thats a start to there slump 3-0-1 :)

Carey Price #31

6. Propwash says:

Sig test….

_____________________
    Never a fairweather fan.

7. punkster says:

Look at the scoreboard tonight. It’s Wacky World out there.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

8. SmartDog says:

Just because I’m bored: 5 Questions about the Habs LEADERSHIP.

1. Has your feeling about PG changed since last year? If so is it better or worse?
    2. How much of the Habs early stumble has to do with Muller being gone? Some? None? Lots?
    3. If it were to happen that the Habs are looking very questionable for the playoffs come mid-January, is Martin’s head on the chopping block, yes or no?
    4. If we missed the playoffs, would you fault Gionta more than other players?
    5. If Martin were to leave within this season, who (seriously) is the best VIABLE replacement (i.e. not Scotty Bowman, not Guy Boucher, not Timo, not the Mentalist).
    SD

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• SeriousFan09 says:

1. About the same as it was, cautiously supportive but I am really waiting on the trade block moves by him this year and how he handles the 2012 draft. Three drafts, three years of trading is a good evaluation window.
      2. Some, they’ve grown used to him, it will take time for Randy Cunneyworth to develop the same relationships and understandings with the players that Kirk Muller had as the player’s coach.
      3. Why are the Habs in trouble? More bodies on the shelf or poor play? The latter might have him on the hotseat.
      4. No
      5. Clement Jodoin? If French is going to be a requirement, the list is thin, unless Geoff Molson flexes his influence and says to change policy. If that, Top AHL coachs and likely Kirk Muller will be in the running certainly

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• JohnBellyful says:

Because I’m bored, I decided to answer the questions.
      1. The ardor has waned, he doesn’t send me flowers any more.
      2. I think Muller’s departure has had a real impact. I understand he took the washroom keys.
      3. No, the team had a chance to do that before last season but they let their Guyillotine go.
      4. As captain, Gionta would have to go down with the ship.
      5. If the team misses the playoffs, I think I start to look good as a replacement. And I would regularly consult HIO posters before making any bold moves.

• The Dude says:

1)PG must go!
      2)None
      3) Probably not
      4)How can you stay angry at Keebler elves?
      5)Barry Trotz !

• deuce6 says:

1. No…He needs to be banished..That Markov contract coupled with letting Hammer/Wiz walk makes me wanna punch him in the face…

2. A lot..He was the link between player and management..He ran the special teams and was just a great player coach..Something this staff lacks..

3. I think sooner than that, IMO..Maybe by mid November depending on where we stand..

4. No..This is a team game..

5. Muller..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• HabFanSince72 says:

1. Worse. He’s made a hash of things. Many teams improved, we got worse. Remember he let 2/3 of our defensive points go.

2. None. We’ve been seeing this for two years now.

3. Not if PG is still in place.

4. Depends on how the season played out.

5. Patrick as GM. Whoever he wants as coach.

9. Mark C says:

Tampa gives up five PP goals and a shortie while dropping to 1-3-2. Pretty embarrassing stuff for a home opener.

10. Laramy87 says:

Refs love the leafs. They just gave them another point. Even Jim Bowen said it was a highstick.
    Hope to god the Av’s take it, i dunno if i can go another day with toronto media saying how good this leaf team is?

Wpg 2-0 over Pitt early, go jets go!

12. Anti JM says:

Next 2-3 years?

Lose JM, let go of Gomez , Gill and AK ..maybe Gio too depending on how well the young guys coming up fare…

13. HabFanSince72 says:

Bert and Ernie! Why of course!

I was doing the N Y Times crossword puzzle on my iPad today and one clue gave me a lot of trouble.

It was 9 Down: Two gay muppets notorious for exchanging inanities on a much loved TV show.

The only answer I could come up with was Don and Ron, but it was a 12 letter word.

Thanks guys.

• slapshot777 says:

Try Donnie & Ronnie, leave out the “&” and you got to gay names if ask me.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

14. Mark C says:

Sean Bergenheim with a shortie! Why did those geniuses let him go?

15. JohnBellyful says:

It’s a bit of a conundrum. Habs apparently have the talent to score more goals — let the debate begin — but don’t because of JM’s emphasis on defence. Others argue it’s the lack of offensive talent that compels JM to focus on preventing goals rather than scoring them.
    And we all know it’s easier to teach a player to be defensively responsible than it is to teach him to be a 30-goal scorer. Which brings us to the question: When was the last innovation in offence in the NHL? Allowing forward passes — okay, that’s a ways back — and long stretch passes to the other team’s blue line opened up the game but those and other measures, such as delayed offsides that speeded up the action, required rule changes.
    Were the high-scoring Oilers, Canadiens and Penguins simply a product of the hugely talented players they had, or did Bowman et al introduce wrinkles in the attack that made full use of their firepower, such as the drop pass to the trailing player? I don’t know the answer but I do know all I’ve heard for more than a decade is the Trap, the System, which rely on suffocating defence to win games at the expense of entertainment. I saw only the third period of Saturday’s game but what I saw was more entertaining than many involving the Canadiens, even those they won.
    In the last 10 years, what spark of creativity has shown up in the game that has increased a team’s scoring opportunities, and who was the genius who came up with the stratagem?
    Sure, stricter enforcement of the rules, specifically interference, gave the players more room to maneuver but, again, it wasn’t a case of a new-fangled attack taking hold. Has hockey evolved to the point and are the playing areas so limiting that, short of enlarging the rinks, there’s nothing new that can be introduced in the way of offence?

• Bill J says:

What you saw was a offensive team, being offensive and completely forgetting the defensive.

Balance is required, and JM hasn’t achieved it.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

• JohnBellyful says:

And does he listen to me? No!
        The Hidden Puck Ploy might have pushed the envelope and the judicious use of pepper spray in front of the net might have even crossed the line but with a little — dare I say it — tweaking they could have been refined into legitimate offensive tools.

• eric says:

Put the red line back in and get rid of the trap. Teams won’t have to worry about the long stretch pass and can go back to a strong forecheck to create turnovers. Also before Cammi got to the habs he was scoring 40 goals a year in LA and calgary. What caused his production to drop so drastically?? I think AK and Plec could score more goals. Shifts are about 45 seconds long. If takes about 25 seconds for the habs to get the puck out of the zone. By the time they dump the puck in it’s time for a line change or very little time to get some offensive pressure. The other team gets the puck and dumps it in and the same thing happens all over again. We get shots on goal but they are perimeter shots. In my mind we should be using our speed to try and create turnovers in the offensive zone rather use our speed to break out of our zone. Quite often we lose the battle for the puck because our forwards are smaller. Let’s use our speed and skill to create havoc with a strong forcheck rather than trapping

• ProHabs says:

Ah yes. I miss the trap, the 1-0 games with clutching and grabbing. I miss the old New Jersey Devils style of hockey. Now that was entertainment at its best.

• showey47 says:

Or you can try getting rid of the red line all together and only use the center of the ice to drop the puck after a goal or start of a peroid. Icings would only be called when you fire the puck down the ice from behind your own blue line. It gives you an extra 85 feet by 25 feet of space and IMO would prevent teams from trapping because there is just too much space and there is little to no fear of icing. I’d like to see the AHL or CHL try it during some pre-season games just to see what would happen.

• JohnBellyful says:

I just wonder how much of a speed advantage the Canadiens actually hold over other teams. It often seems in watching their games that the foot speed of the team, apart from a few players, is not greatly different from their opponents.
        And whatever slight advantage the Canadiens enjoy is negated by their being pushed off the puck more often than not when play is along the boards.
        As others have said here, I just wonder if training camp and the preseason might have been put to better use to prepare the team for games that counted.
        I hope the team begins to prove tomorrow night that I’m way off-base with these observations.

• Chorske says:

I mostly think of plays that you DON’T see anymore, and I wish they would make a comeback. Plays like actually carrying the puck into the offensive zone. Or wrist shots from the point (instead of the one-time slapper from the point, which is the most overrated set play in hockey IMO). But my biggest sorrow is the demise of the backhand- as a former goalie I always found backhands hard to deal with, and its sad you don’t see it used as much, possibly because the new(er) sticks are too curved to give the shot much accuracy.

• JohnBellyful says:

Fully agree. More wrist shots from the point, and shots THAT HIT THE NET. How many times in a game do you guys pinching in from the point and then shooting the puck wide, and it rattles around the boards and out of the zone on the other side? And the backhander, the true kind, not the kind that follows a deke on a breakaway or shootout, but the kind that’s actually a shot, that finds the upper corner or far side … there must be video evidence around of one in the last year or three.

16. DEANDALLEY says:

Carey Price was not a happy camper Saturday night! Not happy at all. He was
    p!ssed, & embarrassed. U could see it in his face. He faced the media like the man & a half that he is.

Carey wants to win. He is not one of the players who justs says it to please the Media like Gomez etc.

Some of those goals seem like he is overplaying the shot cause he does not have faith in his D-men. That is just what I feel.

He will bounce back!

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

17. Habitant in Surrey says:

…am I the only one having a problem with formatting on HIO’s pages ? …includes no links to video and audio links
    …I just did a registry clean on My pc, and I am not sure if I messed unknowingly with the HTML configuration or whether y’all are having a similar problem (thereby, by elimination, it being an HIO Tech Freak issue, and NOT an H.I.S.’s ‘why da Hell don’t I leave well enough alone ?’ issue :) )
    …appreciate anyOne’s feedback if experiencing similar …thanks

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

18. Mark C says:

3 goals on 13 shots, some D down in Tampa. Fire the coach!

19. C_exacte says:

I have a feeling Andrei is going to put up Sergei Kostitsyn type numbers this year.

20. Nothing is ever going to change with this franchise until all of you people get off your butts, head to Montreal and “occupy” the Bell Center!

21. SnowManHabs85 says:

So far this season, the offense is there but Price hasn’t exactly been a vezina goalie at home ice. And our guys have left him alone with 2 opposing players bashing away rebounds over and over while our players are standing in front of him, screening our own goalie.

As I said, the offense is there, it’ll be until this week or next Price will set into his vezina self. :)

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

22. Bill J says:

OK, here it is… Why does Bill J feel good about the Habs, despite the horrible start they’ve had so far this season.

1) Something’s off with the team, at one point I speculated to myself are we witnessing a mutiny ? I seem to remember reading something last year that Kirk was indeed the “Head Coach” in many players eyes, and perhaps some of these players are tired of seeing good quality Coach’s go while JM sticks around. JM has done some good work, but the book is out on his style and this team. What the Habs needed ? Was a Boucher, or a Muller… But I digress. The point being, I really do blame the Coaching. This team on paper could be coached better, and lines managed better. I am confident of this.

2) PG – for the positives he has done, his “non-actions” when it counted most (see point #1) where far more damaging to the team as a whole. PG has to go!

3) Bob Gainey can stick around in whatever role he has, Molson has great respect for BG. I see nothing changing there, and BG has done far more good for this team then bad. Hindsight is 20/20 in some cases, but still more positives.

Now you’re probably wondering, “I thought he was going to list why he is still positive about this team?”…

4) GM & Head Coach replacements happen VERY often & also VERY often the easiest way to resolve a teams success story. This is a huge positive IMO, because points 5 & on are in large part due to BG & Timmins.

5) Price, even if you’re a Halak supporter. If you’re a Hab fan, you aren’t upset to have Price in net as the “franchise goaltender”. Some will still offer alternate “what if scenarios”, it’s not about what ifs… It’s about what they have. I feel confident Price will be top 3 in the league VERY soon, perhaps even be “Vezina” worthy repeatedly. See Point 6 – because it does hinge on this too.

6) VERY promising & unfortunately for this year a VERY young defense corps. But in 2-3 years, Subban, Diaz, Yemelin, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Gorges. I think most will agree, in a few years this will be a GREAT back end. a back end in fact that will help CP succeed even more.

7) Offensive talents are quite promising (granted not as promising as the defensive group) but I do believe in 2-3 years, when we see a Bournival, Gallagher, Leblanc and maybe Avstin & Kristo… The team would be well placed (cap wyse) to make a run at a BIG free agent prospect or two… and they would come, because they would know what we already know…

In 2-3 years this team will be poised to challenge and if managed well by the GM could be a dynasty.

So yeah I see some bad Hockey right now, but I wonder… How quickly would things change with a new GM & Head Coach.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

• HardHabits says:

All the Habs need to do is stay *cough* tank *cough* the course.

HH, you know what would be dreadfully funny, the Habs do finally have a tankable season, and it turns out to be the year the league changes to the draft age to 19 from the current 18.

Bob Nicholson of Hockey Canada is trying to convince the NHL to make this change.

We finally get the #1 draft spot and there is no tangible star available as it would be the first year of 19yr olds…. oh the agony of a tank gone bad.

• Bill J says:

Only way the NHL accepts, is if the cutoff is set to december 31st, you could still see 18 year old draftees, just no more 17 year olds.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

• Bill J says:

Keep JM then, and if there was ever a season… Do it now, never again…. Just do it, and let the dynasty begin.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

23. Sheldon says:

Phil Kessel is smokin’ hot! When was the last time you said that about a Hab?

24. jimmy shaker says:

Hey all, let’s at least look on the bright side……we could doing just as bad as the leafs……oh wait, check that! All JM needs to do is find 4 cohesive lines that can do the business at both ends of the ice, 6 healthy d-men who can control the d-zone and a tender that isn’t leaking goals faster than hal gill can skate…….then everything will be okay in habville.

Shaker

25. HabFanSince72 says:

Enough of this Gomez bashing, Price-bashing, whining and whining about whining. Time to cut to the chase.

1. Do you buy the idea that TV’s beloved muppets were neither gay nor straight but had no sexual orientation?

2. The Habs 2011-2012: legitimate Stanley Cup contenders or not?

• LA Loyalist says:

1. see “Sponge Bob” — though I think Muppets came first.

2. see “Sponge Bob” — now that’s a porous defense.

• LL says:

1. I think Ernie and Bert might’ve been a couple.

2. Yes, they will contend even if they are not contenders.

• cuzzie says:

Did you say wine and cheese?

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

1. Ernie and Bert

2. The Habs were only one goal away from beating the eventual Stanley Cup Champions in the 1st round last play-offs. The Habs were only one goal away from beating the eventual Stanley Cup Champions in the 1st round last play-offs. The Habs were only one goal away from beating the eventual Stanley Cup Champions in the 1st round last play-offs.

• LA Loyalist says:

The Habs choked in game 3 AT HOME. That’s when the series was lost.

Nothing like revising history on which the ink is barely dry. Not to bag only on you, it just bugs me how “missed it by thiiiissss much” has become accepted as fact, when it’s not even true.

• sane hockey fan says:

I believe his comment was directed at mocking those who who use this as an argument that the Habs are contenders…

BTW it is a fact that they were one overtime goal away from beating the Bruins…whether that makes them contenders is very debatable.

Don’t tell him it was obvious sarcasm, this could get entertaining.

• HardHabits says:

I though it was game 4 that they choked on but I don’t want to confuse people too much with being sarcastic one comment and serious the next.

• The Dude says:

1) What year….I mean they have been around for 40 years and a lot of subject have lost their stigma over those years so now there’s got to be a Gay Muppet,don’t you think? I guess that makes Grover a homeless street muppet with addiction issue’s?sh!tty……
      2)Your effing joking right?

• zak says:

Are you saying they were asexual???

26. cuzzie says:

In London they have Football Teams (soccer) in every neighborhood. Here we have monopolies. Simple solution is to put teams where fans will support. Everyone talks about Quebec city but the North Shore of Mtl could support a team. Here’s my list of transplanted US teams coming home.
    Laval-Lazers (Nashville)
    Quebec-quebecors (Florida)
    Hamilton-Steelers (Phoenix)
    North Toronto-Losers (Dallas)

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• sampson12 says:

How about the Halifax Lobsters.

• Bripro says:

I agree with most of what you say cuzzie, but I’m hoping your teams’ selection is tongue-in-cheek.
      There’s no way that Montreal or Toronto will give up revenues by adding teams in their immediate markets.
      I’m even certain that adding a team in Qc. city is making the Molsons squirm. Yes it will create a rivalry, but it’s an absolute that they’ll lose some of their fan base.

27. solomio says:

From that picture of Subban he’s put on a few pounds and it ain’t all muscle.

“I figure PG has one or 2 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

28. JohnBellyful says:

If Don Cherry can make a mealy-mouthed apology so can I.
    I was wrong about JM and Gomez and anyone else I’ve criticized for the team’s abysmal start.
    I’ve been blaming inept coaching, weak defensive play, and ordinary goaltending but now I find out it’s … really, REALLY bad scouting reports. Here’s a senior scout’s lowdown on Buffalo, tomorrow night’s opponent:

– More than 261,000 people live in Buffalo, making it the second most populous city in the state of New York
    – Forbes magazine rated Buffalo the 10th best place to raise a family in America
    – Buffalo attorney Millard Fillmore became president of the United States in 1850
    – No one knows how Buffalo got its name
    – The French Connection Line of Gilbert Perreault, Richard Martin and Rene Robert is getting lots of attention and, given their pedigree, will be anxious to perform well in Montreal. Perreault is said to be a slick playmaker and Martin’s shot is reportedly deadly.
    – Buffalo’s nickname, City of No Illusions, is courtesy of Mark Twain.

Jacques, I’m catching the red-eye to Pittsburgh. Will have report on the Steelers by Wednesday morning, Thursday night at the latest.

• LA Loyalist says:

That was hilarious. Thank you.

We used to nip down to Buffalo during the 70’s for spicy chicken wings (before they were ubiquitous) and some bar that was decorated with a lot of bath tubs. Saw the original Pink Floyd “Dark Side of the Moon” tour there and many other bands. Cheered for Doug Flutie when he played there, lots of friendly people in that town. Would I live there?

Hell no. :-)

29. twocents says:

After Saturday’s game, I am even more optimistic about this team than I was to start the season.

Our forwards looked really good.

As for the defense, we are currently icing 4 players who are still learning the ropes. Anyone who doesn’t expect some rough bits under those circumstances is nowhere close to being realistic. The thing is, they will learn the ropes and considering how good all four have looked at times already, that’s very encouraging.

Then there’s Price. Anyone who thinks he won’t be better, is even more outta touch.

This team will look very good by mid-season.

• HardHabits says:

Hmm. Very good by mid-season. That would mean they could reach .500 by the trade deadline. ;-)

Better to enter the play-offs on a roll than a slide I guess.

• twocents says:

I said very good BY mid-season, not “starting to be very good AT mid-season.”

And I said VERY, not just good. Good they’ll be well before that.

• Bripro says:

HH you’re quite the cynic today. Who peed on your Corn Flakes this morning?

• HardHabits says:

Puh-lease. Peed in cornflakes implies irate or upset. I am neither.

I am just being honest about how I see the team’s prospects for the short term. I see the remaining games of October as being an ultra difficult test for this team to face with the inexperienced NHL defense corps it is skating, a team that is really only capable of playing 3 lines with no real number 1 line among that trio, coupled with lots of mental errors from Price and Subban.

I’ve never booed the team once in my life and I’ve been to many a game at both the Forum and the new digs.

However at the moment I see glaring holes in this team that I don’t believe can be patched up in one season. Let’s just say that IMO ça ne sent pas de la coupe cette année.

• Ian Cobb says:

This group Eric, is by far and away the best talent that we have had in Mtl. in many years. I only wish they had taken pre-season a little more seriously in preparation for the start of the regular season.

We are way behind other teams in team cohesiveness and chemistry. I still believe that we can take our division, as long as we start playing better before to long.

• twocents says:

Ian, I agree on the talent, but I don’t agree about cohesiveness and chemistry. With only 4 games played it’s far too early to be talking about being well behind anyone in anything.

After 10 games we can start that kind of talk. Four games is meaningless in terms of overall assessment.

What I saw in the last game is a deep group of forwards that can apply real offensive pressure 3 lines in. When the D and goalie start playing better, and they will, that’s gonna start winning us some games on a regular basis.

• habsnyc says:

better than 07-08? that team had seven players with 50 or more points. if you count Cole, this team has two 50 point scorers. the 07-08 team scored 50 more goals than the 10-11 team and allowed only 13 more goals. i do not see how this team is more than Eric Cole better than the team from last season.

i don’t disagree about winning the division. there is so much parity in the league, it just takes one good 10 game streak to win the division. had montreal gone 8-1-1 instead of 5-4-1 to end their 2010-11 season, they would have won the division. but i do disagree about the talent level. too many of the players have reached their talent ceiling for this to be a good team. to me it is price/subban/pax/gorges and a mix of unproven pieces and players who will not improve.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• twocents says:

I’m not sure what your point is with the scoring stats. The year before ’07-’08 only one of the seven had 50 points. Did that stop the other six from getting 50 the next year?

• HabFanSince72 says:

A witty poster at a problem gambling clinic I once saw. It has a half-full glass with the caption:

“To a gambler, this glass isn’t half-full or half-empty. It’s going to be full any time now.”

• twocents says:

The farmer who can anticipate a frost days in advance is far better off than the farmer who can only tell you what the weather was like yesterday.

The latter might be the one who can verify his statement, but its usefulness doesn’t go much beyond self satisfaction.

• LA Loyalist says:

New Jersey looked more than “very good” by mid-season last year.

It was too late.

Hope you’re thinking about 2012-13, after JM and Gomez have been fired, then we’re talking.

30. zak says:

Kirk Muller and the admirals 3 and 0

31. cuzzie says:

I didn’t envision this kind of start. We play 7 games in the next 11days. It might be a horror story or as this gang has proven the last 2 yrs they will play up to their opposition.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

32. 24moreCups says:

Love Subby rocking the Habs snapback!

33. Anti JM says:

Big supporter of PK, but he’s not above criticism….he needs to study a guy like lidstrom- nothing flashy, just smart, steady, methodical…someone who understands that HE sets the tone …that he is the point guard…

in case its been lost on PK, Lidstrom gets 50-60 pts yr in yr out…something im sure PK would love to get…

so yes PK, take it down a notch, study elite players, slow your game down a hair, and realize that you need to set the tempo and run the O. When you have the open man, hit him. Stop trying to go it alone. Other teams are starting to figure you out. Its obvious. You need to use your space and players around you more wisely.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Hence why the return of Andrei Markov is useful, he’ll be an excellent teacher for picking one’s spots and knowing when to commit to offence. Weber and Diaz can also benefit from his knowledge and help Yemelin in his transition.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• tbovs says:

I don’t think he needs to slow down and model Nick Lidstrom….first off they are two very different personalities … PK runs at about 110 beats a minute and Nik is like 40. Its hard to get someone like that to completely change their game and personality. In other words it ain’t gonna happen. What’s missing from last year is the lack of panic…he sees everysituation on the ice as an impossible sit and needs to lug the puck or over commit or whathaveyou. He needs to realize that this isn’t the playoffs and your not gonna win the stanley cup by over commiting and trying to make the hard play instead of taking you man and trusting your teamates…He will come around…I am sure he will be settled down by the Vets. I don’t want him to become a Nik Lidstrom…I want him to be PK….I want him to go end to end and burn 8 guys….(some guys twice). I want him to take chances but I also want him to stop with the studid chances…the ones that normally end up in the back of your net. PK is a 20 g D man…I want the PK from lastyear to show up and improve his reads…thats all.

34. punkster says:

Size, grit, Price, Gomez. Blame, blame, blame, blame. Same old, same old on the HI/O roller coaster.

Check out the EOTP for some topical observations of our D so far and what could be done with the pairings to improve their performance. Pretty simple really. It’s constructive and doesn’t involve whining, complaining, benching or trading.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• aroma says:

I think there are lots of insightful comments at Hockey I/O. It’s unavoidable that some feel a need to vent. Happily, it doesn’t take much to skip by such posts with hardly a glance. You might try doing that yourself and you won’t feel the need to do the same as those you are criticizing.

• punkster says:

Hey, this place is informative and entertaining for the most part, hence my reference to the EOTP article, written by an HI/O poster.

As to skipping the complaints sections, I wouldn’t miss them for the world. They’re easy to read and while not always particularly deep they can sometimes offer a unique suggestion or two and the occasional chuckle (though I do prefer those whose outlook on life is a tad more positive).

***Subbang Baby!!!***

35. Anti JM says:

I’m not really sure why some on here keep calling for PG to trade DD. He is definitely NOT the guy you want to move. All he does is create chances, score points and play solid hockey. He has been a scoring machine at every level….with proper minutes and proper linemates, this kid is gold. His ppg last year with the limited minutes he got and the crappy linemates he had was outstanding, and so far this year, he’s tied for 3rd in pts. He NEVER complains and is a good soldier. I will tell you this; if we ever do let him go, boucher will take him in a heartbeat for tampa and you would really see then what we lost. Boucher KNOWS how to use the kid.

and yes, gomez should be 4th line. It’s time.

Cammy Plek Cole
    Pacc DD AK
    Gio Eller Palushaj
    Moen Gomez Darche

36. habaddict_andy says:

I think for some posters who keeps saying Canadiens are not competitive because “they don’t have this, or they don’t have that” is bull. While people are comparing Plek or Gomer to other teams centers, or Cammalleri and Gionta for wingers, I don’t think the management was doing comparison to other teams but rather what FITS the team.

With the cap situation of today’s hockey, what we have as a team is really good. We addressed last years problem by adding Cole and we should be better 5 on 5. As we progress this team will only get better. Last game if Price was playing up to his talent we would have won. The only teams we will have a bit of difficulty are those that are similar to Montreal such as Buffalo and Colorado…

And by the way looking at the standing, who are out of playoff spot at this time? Lightning, Bruins, Canadiens and Ranger. This is very early. The standing at this point does not mean squat.

Go! Hockey! Go!

• habsnyc says:

People are saying the team is average. Eric Cole is not a difference maker at age 32 and playing on the third line. His point production is only marginally better than Kostitsyn.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Propwash says:

Marginally better is still tallying more goals and points than without him.

• Mark C says:

Why does Cole’s point production relative to a current member of the team matter? Isn’t his point production relative to the player whose roster spot he took the important figure?

• GenerationYHabs says:

Exactly, if PooPoo starts potting 35 goals in Boston then you will have a right to complain but comparing his production to another player on the team makes no sense.

• habsnyc says:

That is a fair point. In my mind, Cole took over Kostitsyn’s position on the depth chart at second line right wing. I realize Cole played left wing for the Oilers, but he prefers to play right wing. He delivered 52 points as a first/second line wing for the Canes. So I compared him to Kostitsyn’s 45 points as a second/third line wing for Montreal. Either Kostitsyn or Cole will end up playing on the third line and their scoring will suffer because of their defensive responsibilities.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Mark C says:

Cole may have taken AK’s position on the depth chart, but Cole replaced Benny on the depth chart. With the idea being, that Cole increases the team’s forward depth. It does really matter much if Cole or AK loses point production solely because they play on the third line. What matters is how much increased production Montreal gets out of that spot relatively to what they had before.

• habsnyc says:

I think Cole is a 40 point player on the third line and Pouliot is a 30 point player on the third line.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Propwash says:

Nothing wrong with criticizing, but to throw the team under the bus at this point of the season saying that the Habs will amount to nothing is being a tad over reactive.
      In short, there’s tons of fairweather fans around here. Makes for fun reading though.

• LA Loyalist says:

Look at New Jersey last year. You think they don’t wish they’d fire the coach and started winning a week or two earlier?

You undermine your own argument by pointing out how tight everyone is. Every point we lose now is going to get even harder to make up. And saying the only teams we’ll have trouble with are Buffalo and Colorado? How about Washington, Pittsburgh, New Jersey and Boston? Last time I looked we have to play them about 6 times each.

It’s never too soon to start winning. I don’t even think we have 10 games, I don’t think we have a winning culture and we definitely don’t have a winning coach.

• Mark C says:

You should probably look again; Montreal only plays Boston on that list six times a year. Do you bother to get any facts straight?

Why do you keep bring up New Jersey? They have 22 points at the mid way point last year. That’s right, 22 points in 41 games. It’s pure lunacy to compare Montreal’s start to New Jersey’s last year.

37. Laramy87 says:

So when Cammy comes back, we will have 3 pretty decent scoring lines, what would you like the lines to be when he does return?

I would like to see:
    Eller – Pleks – Cole – i felt like they were good together on sat nite
    Cammy – Gomez – Gionta – Last year when they were put together for brief stints i feel like they were good together
    AK – DD – MaxPac – two words, Saturday night
    Moen – Engvist – Darche – what else we got lol

D is still a bit of a mis-match until bodies return, but that’s 3 scoring lines.

38. Marvin says:

Only in Montreal would we post 12 minutes from a team’s practice, prior to the 5th game of the season. Are we that hockey-starved?

39. Kooch7800 says:

For anyone who likes old school Hip Hop music, I write the music for a group called Groove Control and their album will be released on November 15, 2011. For a FREE track off my upcoming album with Groove Control please go to the music section of our website : http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com then go to the music page and in the music player click the option for free MP3. just enter your e-mail and enjoy. The Track for free is Howdy Friend Featuring Moka Only

Please let me know what you think.

• HardHabits says:

Good stuff man!!! I like it.

Did you sample something for that chipmunk track or is that an original track that was sped up or auto-tuned?

Listening to Killing It. Like that one too.

3rd track reminds me of Nas.

Listening to the whole album. Let’s just say that I wouldn’t be doing that if I didn’t enjoy the music. Good stuff Shawn.

Catchy riffs!

• Kooch7800 says:

Thanks man. The chipmunk sound is a sample of CCR. It is the only track on the album with that type of sample on it. The rapper I work with Silly Robin is pretty sick.

Glad you enjoy it!

• HardHabits says:

I knew I recognized it. Cool.

All around a very good album. Lots of hooks.

I play guitar so that’s coming from another musician. Here’s a sample of one of my riffs –> http://www.indabamusic.com/people/HardHabits

• Kooch7800 says:

Nice riffs man. I dig it. What recording software are you using?

• HardHabits says:

Thanks. It think that riff would sound cool with a rapper getting all murderous on it. Then the female vocals kick in and sing the guitar solo riff. LOL.

I use Ableton and Cool Edit for the moment although I am thinking about setting up another workstation with Ubuntu Studio. I am a bit of a computer geek as well as a guitarist.

I am starting a new job this week so once settled in and when time permits I am going to record more of my ideas and experiment with them. I could use a drum programmer or a beat master though. ;-)

• Kooch7800 says:

Hey man, just send me an e-mail through the website when you get set up and maybe we can work on something. Good luck on the new job btw!

40. Jdub1985 says:

“A tough start for the Habs, whose only win has come against lowly Winnipeg. Even when they score, as they did five times Saturday against the Avalanche, they don’t win.”

ESPN

Well any talk of Brassard coming to Mtl. can now be put to rest, Eklund has posted it, therefore, that trade is now null and void.

• Timo says:

What;s good about him (Brassard) anyway? Not a sarcastic question… I seriously have no idea who that player is and what he achieved.

• shiram says:

Young guy from Hull with some good points for a PMD.
        He’s also 6’1″ and 190lbs.
        Can’t help much more than that.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Relatively big, fast, skilled playmaking centre. Was being talked about as rookie of the year in his first year (duh) until he was injured in December and missed the rest of the season.

Last two years have been a bit disappointing but not – say – Benoit Pouliot disappointing.

He only had 17 goals and 30 assists last year, and apparently had a very poor training camp, but earns 3.2M on a Columbus team that has lots of forwards.

He’s signed till 2014, and only 24. He will be a RFA in 2014.

• Bripro says:

AH. Mark your words.
          According to some, 6’1″ under 200 lbs is considered small in the league.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Yes. The greatest team maybe of all time, the 1977 Habs, had only one forward above 6′ (Gainey) and one who was 6′ tall (Guy!). All other forwards were like 5’9″.

• HardHabits says:

HFS72: That team had Savard, Robinson and Mahovlich. And that was pretty much the same team that took on the Broad Street Bullies in 1976. No Robinson though and that team is not winning 4 Cups in row if any. He was that dominant a figure back then. I wanted Robinson to be named Captain when Serge Savard retired. *sigh*

• habsnyc says:

Habfabsince72
            are you really serious? the team also had giant defensemen look at Lappointe, Savard, Nyrop, Bouchard, Robinson and Chartraw. each of them was big and could fight. Chartraw also played fourth line forward. Tremblay and Lambert were 6 foot and tough.

did you ever see that team fight the Bruins or Flyers?

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• LA Loyalist says:

ahhh…. a project player. Coach Martin has such a good record with such as he. :-)

Just saying. As for size, on Habs, we’d have to raise the ceilings for him. And for his weight – what kind of injury did he have? He’s young, he may be able to put on some meat yet.

• ed lopaz says:

Timo, if you ever want a full pro history of any player, just Google the player`s name and Hockey DB.

In this case, Derrick Brassard hockey DB yields:

• Timo says:

Cheers. Thanks for the info. Sounds like a great fit with the Habs.

• ed lopaz says:

brassard was the talent on Drummondville that Latendresse used to pile up his points and get to the NHL.

he has talent, 17 goals and 47 points last season were both NHL career highs.

but I think Eller can be better (as a center), and our top 6 should be full if that is the case.

did you see Eller`s hands, in tight quarters last game??

Eller needs to be played at center and then NOT MOVED TO THE WING.

The more games we give Eller at center the quicker he will develop as a top 2 center.

Eller is big, strong, fast, and he has the hands and vision to be an excellent NHL centreman.

He also plays 3 zone defence.

really like Eller. he is a real talent waiting to break out

• Kooch7800 says:

If the rumour is out their PG won’t be doing it. The guy is a phantom and you never know what he is up too. I give him a lot of credit for that. That is the way it should be.

I can’t remember the last trade that was leaked in Montreal that actually came true….

• Bripro says:

And who said there was talk of Columbus trading him in the first place?
      I guess now that Heatly is playing with Nash, he’s been demoted?

• habsnyc says:

According to the Columbus Dispatch, the Jackets drew less than 9,000 fans to their most recent game, not including the 27 scouts from other teams in attendence. Given the money they spent and their current record, the team is likely to do something to try to salvage their season. They need cheap help immediately.

I do not know if they would be doing better if they had Wiz, but Shanahan should not have been allowed to suspend him for eight games. Shanahan is unaware of the economic impact of suspending star players from financially strapped teams.

According to the Globe and Mail, the Jackets lost $25 million last year and $80 million over six years. The team needs to win to stay afloat. Sometimes a NHL executive needs to think about the health of the franchise, not just the health of the player.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• shiram says:

Shanahan was doing his job correctly, and it’s not up to him to make sure teams are viable.
        The Blue Jackets should have known The Wiz is a repeat offender and never offered us that 7th round pick. ;)

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• habsnyc says:

It is up to Shanahan to understand the broader economic impact of his actions when he makes an example of a player.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Bripro says:

Elliotte Friedman wrote a few weeks ago that Columbus is pushing hard to change divisions next year when the Jets are transferred to the west. They state it as key to their survival.

• cuzzie says:

The jackets are safe for awhile. Nationwide insurance paid 52 million for 30% Plus naming rights for the team to stay till 2039. It will pay the team 28.5mill over 10yrs.it’s complicated deal with State, County and City govt.’s chipping in.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• Bripro says:

Yes, but that’s only 2.85 million/year. And is that not conditional on the team maintaining a minimum of 12,000 seats sold? Seems to me…
          But you’re right, it’s a very complicated deal.

• cuzzie says:

I’m on a Ipad so I don’t how to put links. If you google ( saving the blue jackets) there’s an article in the Dispatch.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• Bripro says:

Cuzzie, I have to get off the iPad and go to my (Mac) desktop to post links.
            There’s gotta be a way to do it on the iPad.
            And I can’t on my iPhone.
            iThink.

• cuzzie says:

I don’t know dude. I love it’s convenience and my laptop just went kerplunk.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• Mark C says:

I understand the thought behind your point, but it would be insanely bush league to determine the length of suspensions based on a team’s financial heath.

• habsnyc says:

I think that the length of the suspension had more to do with setting an example than with the severity of the infraction. There were better ways to teach a lesson than by crushing a struggling franchise. Politically, Shanahan has cost Bettman a huge amount of goodwill.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

42. Bripro says:

All I keep reading is how small this team is.

Erik Cole – 6’2″ 205 lbs
    Mathieu Darche – 6’1″ 215 lbs
    Lars Eller – 6’2″ 200 lbs
    Andreas Engqvilst 6’4″ 200 lbs
    AK 6’0″ 215 lbs
    Moen 6’2″ 215 lbs
    Pacioretty 6’2″ 200 lbs
    Emelin 6’2″ 225 lbs
    Gill 6’7″ 240 lbs
    Gorges 6’1″ 200 lbs
    Suban 6’0″ 205 lbs

Does that sound small to most of you?
    Pleks is one of the smaller players, at 5’11”.
    So we have three among the smallest in the league, but with a lot of talent and heart, and everyone cries “size”.
    That’s a bunch o’ bull.
    I haven’t looked, but I would venture to guess they’re not the smallest group in the NHL either.
    And the way they played saturday, it could have easily been 2 points.
    Once Price gets his swagger back, this team will fall into its own.

• Jordio-oh says:

I mentioned this a few days ago.

If i remember correctly Habs forwards are, on average, an inch shorter than Boston’s forwards, and only 2lbs lighter.

And on defence the Habs are, on average, an shorter than Boston’s D-men and the exact same weight.

• Stev.R says:

I think I calculated our average height before the season to be 5’11.5”. That’s not that tall in comparison to other teams, but then again height is really only useful for reaching loose pucks first (and i guess not getting hit to the head).

• joshua94k says:

Is there a faster skater than Gionta. Is there a better shooter than Cammalleri. Is there a better two-way forward than Plekanec. Is there a player who has more heart than Desharnais.

Any team would loved to have these ‘small’ guys.

I feel that I am stronger than a guy who is three inches taller than me, productivity and ability to get things done on the ice becomes the real measure as far as I am concerned.” – Mike Cammalleri

• shiram says:

Issue for me isnt so much the average height/weight/size of the team, but mostly that the top 6 was mostly size not very physical players.
      With AK, Pac and Cole it helps alot, especially if Eller can blossom and take the second center spot.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• joshua94k says:

Is there a faster skater than Gionta. Is there a better shooter than Cammalleri. Is there a better two-way forward than Cammalleri. Is there a player who plays with more heart than Desharnais.

Most teams would love to have these so -called ‘small’ players.

• adamkennelly says:

we are a very small team..measure all then heights you want…besides Gill you have no one listed over 6’2″ which by NHL standards for a forward is not “big” ..you have no skilled forward over 215 lbs and we have many skilled forwards who are very small by NHL standard – DD, Gio, Cammy, Gomez, Pleks- they are pretty easy to gain position on in the D zone and can more easily get knocked off the puck..simple physics…

• Bripro says:

I mentioned seven players at 6’2″ or better.
        That’s not big for you?

• HardHabits says:

With Cammy, Gio, and DD you do have a problem. IMO 2 of the three have to go. I would keep Cammy.

The other issue is #1 centre. IMO Gomez has to go. Plex would be an awesome #2 centre but he doesn’t make a strong candidate for any elite team’s #1.

So getting rid of Gio, DD and Gomez you free up lots of cap space and if you acquire players 5’11 or taller and 200 pounds or more to replace them you instantly become a team with added size and weight. Don’t forget Gallagher is in the pipes.

The Habs could still use a Byfuglien, a Chara or a Pronger type on the back end. And by that I mean added to Beaulieu, Emelin, Subban and Tinordi in the hopeful future.

• Bripro says:

OK, well there are only one of each Chara and Pronger, and they ain’t goin’ nowhere. Did Byfuglien impress you at all last week? And I hear he’s a major ego (from the rumour mill), so there goes the room chemistry.
            And look at the talent you’re looking to trade away.
            Granted, Gomez didn’t have a great year, and he’s slow starting again, but his legs are moving this year at least. Time will tell. Gio could indeed bring in some trade value, but I wouldn’t touch DD.

• HardHabits says:

I forgot to add, the Habs need a 4th line of significance. Either a shut down or an energy trio. Currently the Habs have neither.

A team can’t keep DD, Gio and Cammy with Gallagher coming up the pipes. SF09 thinks DD is the 1st to go. Even still with Gio and Cammy Gallagher makes the team small again. Plex is not a dominant force. It’s more of the same shuffling of the deck chairs on the Titanic.

4 of the six D are 200 pounds. I’d prefer that 4 were 220 or more with a 240 pounder in the mix. Then have two D that are 190 lbs and 5’11” for all I care but at least have that back end muscle to keep things honest around the crease and with the forwards.

• shiram says:

In all fairness, by the time Gallagher makes the NHL, some room in the top 6 should have been made.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• SeriousFan09 says:

You are describing a defence that I am only imagining suggests that the four players you list hit their projectable windows, but in addition they add a Norris-class defencemen (I am excluding Byfuglien on that count). I think you’re a little optimistic about what kind of D a team can build and maintain in the Cap era.

If Tinordi and Emelin are the forces we want them to be, add in the physical play of Subban and Beaulieu is not afraid of it either, that’s plenty of blue line grit. Add in Dietz, Pateryn, Ellis and Nash as potentials and hell, that’s one damn big blue line.

We have large forwards in the pipeline as well don’t forget, not as many as I would prefer but so far our drafting strategies in the past few years have been filling in the pipeline where it needs help.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• HardHabits says:

I’ll admit the defense looks strong moving forward. The more towers of power on the back end the better.

That isn’t happening with Weber, Diaz and Spacek in the line-up that’s for sure.

Habs IMO need to work on the forwards/centre-man element though, most notably acquiring top line material in the mill. Not top 6, which basically means a 2nd line ceiling, but top line.

I am not confident with that regard as the Habs can’t even build a 4th line. It seems the Habs are intent on developing and skating three second lines.

Sounds like we need to teach some guy who is 6’4″ 245lbs how to skate. Hey how about Georges Laraque, he was great for us!

• The Dude says:

Bripro,thanx …your list just confirmed the players mentioned are like lil kittens “except for Moen and maybe Yemelin who’s got tiger blood!” And except for Max Pacs and Moen the rest are all perimeter forwards and Dmen who don’t have Price’s back”well sometime’s they’re on Carey’s back…”No ,I don’t think its a deterrent or a good point,sorry.

• Bripro says:

OK so for some of you, size = skill. Is that it?
      I agree that they’re not protecting Price enough, but it ends there.
      We need large skilled players, do we?
      So you would pass on the likes of
      Marty St Louis,
      Daniel Briere,
      Derek Roy,
      Tobias Enstrom (he’s a 5’10” D),
      Ray Whitney,
      Timonen (another 5’10” D)
      or Brian Rafalski (at 5’10”, top 5 D in the NHL).

• HardHabits says:

On this team yes. I would pass on all those players.

• Bripro says:

That’s the beauty of democracy. You and I don’t have to agree, and I definitely don’t agree with you.
          Imagine having Marty St Louis instead of Moen and Rafalski ahead of any D except for PK (and keeping him is for long term).
          Just those two could throw us over the top. I think…

• HardHabits says:

The only thing being thrown over the top would be the Habs forwards and D men. Sure I’ll take MSL. Give me Lecavalier and Stamkos at the same time and say good bye to DD, Cammy and Gio. Why not bring in Boucher and get rid of Martin while we’re at it.

As for trading Rafalski for maybe Diaz, Spacek or Weber that is a no brainer because none of the 3 are anything to write home to mother about but that still doesn’t make the Habs any more physical than they currently aren’t. Might as well just book Rafalski’s bed at the Montreal General to make sure there is no wait time when he needs to get his injury looked at.

But to add MSL over Moen to a line up that includes DD, Cammy, and Gio would make the Habs no longer just Smurfs but mini-Smurfs. Hilarious.

We are so not on the same page. But I do tend to be all over the map. :-P

EDIT: Thanks SF09. Rafalski retired. Even still if active no big addition. Pun intended.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Um, Rafalski retired over the summer.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

43. Mattee. says:

Was Eller playing with Gionta/Gomez or Plecs/Cole by the end of the Colorado game?

44. Neutral says:

when Cammalleri returns to the lineup

Cammy – Pleks – Cole
    Moen – Eller – Gionta
    Max-pac – DD – AK
    Darche – Gomez – Engqvist (Til white returns)

Gomez should be on the 4th line. He’s played that way since coming to Montreal. we can’t get rid of him there’s where he should be… why hold Eller Back for Gomez.

45. Thomas Le Fan says:

I hope I’m not the only one who missed the actual apology part of Cherry’s “apology”. Saying that when you’re wrong, you have to admit it, is not actually an apology, is it? “I’m really sorry I was an idiot and said a lot of stupid things that weren’t true which hurt a lot of people and offended many more,” might have worked but not that. Still wrong and a ignorant buffoon of a broon.

46. Maksimir says:

So when he’s healthy its?

Cam-Pleks-Cole
    MPac-DD-AK
    Gio-Gom-Moen
    Eller-Enq-Darche

47. Hobie Hansen says:

Almost time to pull out the old capgeek.com webpage to see what defensemen in the league are UFAs after the season so we can dream about who Gauthier will make at pitch for before the deadline.

I was thinking same thing Hobie, i mentioned on weekend, I don’t see us having a 2nd round pick again next year. Hopefully we get lucky and Markov indeed can join this team early November. We need Spacek back as someone to insert for other nagging injuries.

If someone goes down in the next game or 2, who knows what we have to call up.

• Matt. says:

Did Brisebois retire? i’m sure he can be step in and be his regular self

• SeriousFan09 says:

Hopefully he appreciates his future depth on D and sticks with what he has. He obviously intended for a makeover on D with Diaz and Emelin signings, Weber to a 2-year, 1-way contract and letting Hamrlik walk and than selecting Tinordi, Ellis, Beaulieu, Didier, Dietz and Nygren in the last two years. Can’t turn his back on it now, too late for it.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

• otter649 says:

Craig Rivet @ 37 is now playing in The ECHL (Elmira Jackals)…..

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’m really hoping Yemelin continues to improve and when Markov returns we’ll be dressing: Markov, Subban, Gorges, Gill, Yemelin and Campoli.

Send down Diaz, Spacek sits and Gauthier deals Desharnais and Weber for a proven and rugged 3rd/4th line winger who’s capable of putting up 10-15 goals.

And like I mentioned above, maybe bump Campoli out of the lineup by signing a physical stay-at-home defenseman.

• Jordio-oh says:

Defencemen who are UFA’s next year that are on teams that might* be willing to trade at the deadline:

Michal Rosival
      Radek Martinek
      Andy Sutton
      Adrian Aucoin
      Greg Zanon
      Kurtis Foster
      etc.

My advice, stick with the guys we have.

*based on hockey analyst consensus standing predictions

• Hobie Hansen says:

after seeing that list, you might be right. Haven’t had a chance to check things out for myself just yet…

• Jordio-oh says:

Yeah, the list wasn’t created to try and prove you wrong or anything. I, myself, was curious what was left out there for next years free agency.

D-men who are UFA on July 1st that could be available (although not likely):

Dennis Wideman
          Ryan Suter
          Braydon Coburn
          Niklas Kronwall
          Johnny Boychuk
          Niklas Grossman

I’m not saying we need to sign any or not sign any, but this is what the UFA situation appears to be.

Forwards include: Semin, Parise, Boyes, Hemsky, T. Ruutu, Stoll, Hudler, Samuelsson, D. Jones, Gaustad etc.

48. savethepuck says:

I am usually not picky when a poster makes one of the most common mistakes on here, but Mr. Stubbs is held to a higher standard, it’s Weber not Webber ( the other common one on here by posters is Georges when it should be Gorges). Too much Don Cherry in the names.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

49. avatar_58 says:

Gill-Diaz Weber-Emelin?

Oh dear god.

50. Matt. says:

wow…. what a top six. i hope JG and PK are ready to play 35 minutes a game

51. j2w4habs25 says:

thats good news!! I wonder if he feels the pressure from everyone….

Carey Price #31

I think I like the Tweak!

53. GrimJim says:

@berkshire…re: defense pairings
    It sounds like Pearn reads Eye On THe Prize

54. J_P says:

Against Toronto, our offense wasn’t clicking. Against winnipeg…well winnipeg is just bad. Against Calgary our offense wasn’t clicking and our defense wasn’t clicking, and against colorado our defense was completely abysmal.

I find it interesting that a team which has barely been changed from last season is having so much trouble getting it together. Gonna be interesting to see how JM gets the team to put it all together.

• Timo says:

What are you talking about? We have new and improved Gomez. Completely new The Gelling is required – 25 games min.

• SmartDog says:

He’s a notoriously slow starter. But he should be in great form by the last year of his contract.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• nunacanadien says:

Maybe that could be our selling point, that Gomez has learned so much here and acquired such skill, they could use his leadership skills in Winnipeg and actually help that team to look like a contender instead of a team doing so bad no one wants to buy a ticket. Warning to Molsons, if you keep going small, your tiny tykes teams may just no longer attract a full arena. Maybe we should stay away until the Molsons actually start signing real players…..

• HardHabits says:

Gomez is pacing himself… for retirement.

• Neutral says:

J_P – The “D” has changed a lot. right now we are weaker. up front other than Cole it’s the same. if Cole can be better than Pouliot or Halpern in the stats than we’ve improved if not than we are a weaker team than last year because of the “D” it’s too early to tell right now after christmas we’ll know where the Habs are Heading. myself I believe if the defence improves we will have a real good team. we may not be tough, but we have lots of speed and skill…

55. Habitoban says:

Continued strong offensive play, coupled with improved play by CP, should trump our shaky D. And even if it doesn’t, I really don’t care that much, since the games are way more fun to watch (and probably way more fun to play!).

56. shiram says:

O lines were ok last game, D was sub-par, hopefully Gorges can light a well managed and focused fire under Subban’s bum.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

…or in Mexico

58. Habfan10912 says:

Does Jamaica have a hockey team?

@jimlaplante

59. LA Loyalist says:

What do you have against the Swiss?

60. OneTimer says:

that’s not racist at all! Go Timo!

What! You never had King Crab a la salsa?

62. Danno says:

Kazakhstan does

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

63. punkster says:

There you go. Case in point, the Gomez card is played and if you don’t agree you’re not too bright.

Oh, and any constructive suggestion for improvement not meeting with the poster’s view is just pie in the sky.

I repeat; whine, complain, bench or trade. A common theme around here.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

64. SeriousFan09 says:

The issue some of us take is the length of time people go to flood the comments section with the Anti-Gomez campaign. We get it, you want him out, but he’s here right now.

I have issues with some of the bosses at my workplace but I don’t spend more than a couple minutes maybe grousing about them when they are causing trouble for us fellows who actually work. This has been a 2-year campaign by some people, impressive in terms of commitment but saddening in terms of how much time has been wasted on what could be accomplished with a Signature campaign of “GROG” Get Rid Of Gomez so we know your position.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

The other theme is berating people for expressing an opinion or a point of view. You make it sound like people are purposefully writing stuff just to give the mods here extra work.

It’s these fell swoop comments that add nothing to the debate and try to draw lines in the sand between an us and a them.

If you’re not part of the solution p’ster you’re part of the problem.

But continue with your drive by lambasting of all those who don’t goose step with the party line here.

I prefer to stir people’s imaginations rather than merely the pot alone. I don’t just take the High Road. I take the Hard Road and the High Road. And I make a Habit of it.

66. punkster says:

Shiloh…I’ve questioned every Price opinion you’ve ever posted so please feel free to question any of mine.

HH…you or Shiloh or Tony or E1 or anyone else here is free to voice their opinion, be it whacked out or insightful. And anyone else is free to disagree. That disagreement doesn’t make them part of a party line whether you consider them whacked out or not.

Even if they’re a poopoo head.

I repeat; whine, complain, bench or trade. A common theme around here.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

67. punkster says:

Shiloh…You think banishing Gomez is rational? It’s not even doable. Trading, maybe if they could find an all day sucker dumb enough to go for it. Demoting to Hamilton, less likely and fraught with complications. Press boxing, hell of way to spend that money. But banishing? Where to, Scarborough? The Urals?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

68. punkster says:

Hey, HH and Shiloh. Knock yourself out with your repetitive whining and complaining. It adds to the flavour of this place. Just don’t expect everyone to have to read it day in day out without responding.

The anti-whiners and anti-complainers have their rights too.

Occupy HI/O! Stop the hijacking of the site by Negative Nellies. Seize the moment!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

Like I said punskter. People who have nothing to say just attack others with ad hominem arguments. I might be repetitive but I am neither whining nor complaining.

It is my view that the Habs need a #1 centre. I also would like to see a real 4th line meaning 4 lines. As it stands the Habs currently roll 3 2nd lines. I’d also like to see a real #1 line. I’d like to see a few of the smurfs traded. Gomez should be gone by season’s end because he’s useless and costs too much. I’d like to see the team get a real star forward that only comes in top 5 draft pick. Maybe after dumping Gomez the Habs can finally get one.

Whining? Hardly! Are my suggestions possible? Yes, but with the current Habs brain trust I doubt it. Am I guilty of wishful thinking. Highly!

But whatever. Your post, at least to me, is the kind that just tries to create conflict here. For the life of me I can’t understand why you don’t see that so I figure you enjoy being one of HIO’s agent provocateurs.

70. sane hockey fan says:

You know HH, I agree with most of your arguments, I agree the Habs are too small in their top 6 and too soft as a team, but jeeze EVERYONE here knows your views on this team. It’s time to move on man…

71. punkster says:

HH…review the definition of ad hominem then review the sequence of comments.

72. SeriousFan09 says:

Comparing this to Roy is laughable. Nothing compares to giving up the best playoff goalie in league history for meagre returns. It also backseats Chelios for Denis Savard(He was going out of his prime, Chelios played for about 2 more decades) and even Recchi for Desjardins/Leclair, team waived their only PF and a puck-moving D who were young assets waiting to break out.

Gomez is going to get a 3rd season before PG really entertains losing him. So we might as well suck it up and move on.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

73. Bripro says:

“It is my view that the Habs need a #1 centre. I also would like to see a real 4th line meaning 4 lines. As it stands the Habs currently roll 3 2nd lines. I’d also like to see a real #1 line. I’d like to see a few of the smurfs traded. Gomez should be gone by season’s end because he’s useless and costs too much. I’d like to see the team get a real star forward that only comes in top 5 draft pick.”

HH you’ve got it all figured out. You should put your name in for GM buddy. With all of those moves, you’ll definitely fit the mould.

74. Mark C says:

What’s your deal? 1) Its a joke. 2) Posters say far worse things at JM after pre-season games. 3) Grow up? Really? At least you spared everyone a mother’s basement joke.

I’d love it they started a mother’s basement joke themed website.

It’s okay to say fire JM but fire Guy is like calling the pope a ….

77. ProHabs says:

Don’t mind jljib Mark. He has a Guy Boucher poster on the ceiling of his room over his bed and is a little sensitive to people who criticize him.

You are correct, but hopefully last game was a start for the offense to get gellin’

79. SnowManHabs85 says:

2 out 4 games were free wings games. And the other 2 games were 0 goals and 1 goal games. We haven’t exactly had free wings last season this early in the season too. Everybody seems to be scoring except Cole the “big” offensive acquisition.

80. SmartDog says:

He should use some of that anti-sensitive cream. That’d fix him.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!