Cammalleri, Bergeron still out

The Canadiens will continue to ride goaltender Jaroslav Halak and head coach Jacques Martin has decided to give Michael Cammalleri and Marc-André Bergeron more time to recover from knee injuries.

They both lined up as defenceman at today’s morning skate and they remained on the ice after the session to work out with healthy scratch Ben Maxwell and backup goalie Carey Price.

PRE-GAME AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Ryan O’Byrne

1. megagoten says:

i agree with the posters below me

we can still bench him later on if we need to give him some rest, right now, we have to figure out how his limits

we won’t know how much he can handle until we see him starting to fail

2. Chuck says:

I’m not even going to bother.  :)

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

3. Chuck says:

Well, this is one of those scenarios where JM can push Jaro to see if he’s playoff material. In a long run in the playoffs, you don’t get days off just because you’re feeling tired, or had an off game. You’ve got to come back stronger that you were before, and cut any losing streaks off at the pass, or you’re done for the season.

At the very least, if Jaro stumbles and looks like he wouldn’t be able to handle the workload, you’ve got a fresh Carey coming off of the bench. My only concery would be getting him enough work to make sure that all of the rust is off.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

4. C-Dawg says:

I agree…some people only see what they want to see

5. smiler2729 says:

True enough but Halak’s almost 25, Pricey’s the 22 year old, nevertheless that’s a lot of hockey for Halak since January.

As for the Sanford stuff by some posters, CuSan is such a non-factor in the Habs’ plans, he’s strictly for the ‘Dogs!

Dark Cloud is getting darker my friend. Think positive.!!

That is why we pay the big bucks to goal tender coaches and the rest of the coaching team to make the correct decisions for the team.

And as far as being tired, I doubt very much if he is tired of playing winning hockey at age 22. Think about it, he is playing his best hockey of his career. If he starts to falter, we have a great kid in the wings ready to do his best to keep the net when his chance comes around again.

8. SeriousFan09 says:

I have a feeling Price gets next game regardless of how tonight goes, Halak’s played a long stretch now and could use a break. That and JM needs to test Price to see how he might perform in the playoffs.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

9. smiler2729 says:

From the WTF Dept.

Jacques Martin, Jaro looks like he’s tiring a bit, why not give him the night off? He didn’t get a nice Olympic rest.

And second, where’s all this Curtis Sanford stuff coming from? Planet X?

10. 123456 says:

oh i have to disagree – the OP stated halak stunk saturday… did you see the game? come on – two more saves and the game does not go to OT, in fact two more saves and he gets a shut out. we have to rip on the goalies when they deserve it – HALAK gave up TWO GOALS…. TWO GOALS!!! how many goalies give up two goals a knight – not too many!!!

sarcasm off –

secret mod

11. mike g says:

WOW– 1 loss and the negativity level is through the roof on this site. So, feeling like it’s gonna be another day of 31 vs 41 arguments, here’s a positive post for ya’ll….

- Congratulations to the NHL: You’ve finally done something properly this year. The new marketing campaign for the playoffs is spectacular. The commercials with Bobby Orr, Mario Lemieux, and soon others like Patrick Roy circa 1986 are wonderful. Thumbs up.

- Howling Coyotes: I will admitt I’ve doubted the Phoenix Coyotes all year. When they started off like monsters, I actually really disliked them because of their crappy fans. Also, the NHL owns them and while hockey is my passion, the NHL as we all know is a joke. But this team is for real people. They’re so exciting to watch it’s rediculous. I’ve only been following them on a daily basis for about a few weeks now, and I encourage all of you to do so. Watch their games guys, they will go far in the playoffs. For some reason, they somewhat remind me of our beloved Expos…

- Directly on TV: Finally, Direct TV has reached a deal to carry Versus and therefore way more US citizens will be able to experience the NHL at it’s best time of the year; the playoffs. I’m not sure how long the deal is for but it’s good progress.

- You’ve been TMZ’d: The Chicago Blackhaws were seen boarding their team bus somewhere in the States last week, and TMZ was there to greet them with a camera. The whole team seemed to be giddy when they were told it was TMZ, and they all smiled and screamed at the camera looking very excited to be considered celeberities. The only thing that sucked is those TMZ guys in the office. They poked fun at the sport of hockey, saying they had no idea who any of the players were or how the Hawks were doing this year. The whole studio laughed when one guy said, ” Who cares, nobody watches hockey. It’s the forgotten sport”. Well, hopefully some exposure on a popular show like this can do some good for the sport.

So, that’s my positive post for the day. Your thaughts?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

12. Say Ash says:

Yup. Four points from 9th place, so relax everyone…

13. pablojinko says:

JM has proven me wrong throughout the season, but I still don’t get decisions like this one. So apparently the “you lose, you sit” rule has some fine print in JM’s book. Still, I’m a little worried about Halak’s performance lately, if the coaching staff believe Jaro is the go to guy for the playoffs, he really could use a game in the bench to get his game back together…

I don’t know why, but I get the feeling the front office is overshowing Halak, hoping he finish an amazing season, his value goes up and they trade him in the summer. Goaltenders aren’t the problem of the team, that’s why I think PG would make a move if he sees a profitable return in trading Halak

14. ooder says:

you seem so hopeful that they do…

do you even cheer for the habs, or do you cheer for carey price?

——————

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

15. HugeHabsFan says:

I’m bummed because I’ve been anxious for Cammy’s return, but if it means a stronger return, then so be it.

……….. “Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!” I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

16. MocaJoe says:

This decision is deflating to the team. They expected cammy back and now he’s not. Lets see how they respond.

17. Cookies says:

Rather bring the guns to a strong Sabres team rather than a ailing Sens team.

Price will play against the Panthers.

18. TomNickle says:

That might be the funniest post I’ve ever read on HIO.

19. cautiousoptimist says:

Like I posted on another thread a few adys back, I am getting SO sick and tired of all the Sanford fanboys on here,
    always ragging on Price and Halak just to push their pro-Sanford
    agenda.  You guys need to learn to put the team first and your petty
    little biases second, look further than the Sanford posters on your
    bedroom walls in your parents’ basement, and realize that even if
    Sanford never gets another shot in the NHL, it’s the team’s success that
    matters.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  20. Kain292 says:

Agreed. HIO gives me headaches. We won 6 in a row, and people act like we’re doomed after one loss.

21. Kain292 says:

Do YOU actually watch any games?
    In Price’s last start he was pulled an Halak saved the day, where we went from losing to take the game in a SO. In his game before that, we lost to the Sharks. Of the lst five games he played, we won twice, and one of those was thanks to Halak coming in after Price let in 3 goals on 11 shots.

So Price has been playing well lately? Like…on March 7, the last time he played, when he had a SV% of .727? you must be living in a fantasy world.

22. BoomBoom says:

I agree with C-Dawg, that is a totally BS statement about Price.

23. Praj12 says:

halak sucked on saturday night, typically give out big rebounds and was way out of position on Kessels goal. Did not fair any better in the shoot out as he was beaten with a shot and a deke that left his jock strap in the corner. They better play price soon or he will never get back into game shape this year.

24. C-Dawg says:

As long as Price is on the bench…we have a shot?

What  a BS statement, do you actually watch any games? Price has been playing well lately…better in fact than Halak has in his last two starts.

25. Habalisous says:

Umm…they have gotton 13 points out of a possible 16 since the break with the current line up and you guys are panicking?

LOL! Typical band wagon Habs fans.

”You miss 100% of the shots you never take.” – Wayne Gretzky

26. tdrmoss84 says:

I think it’s wise to keep Cammalleri and Bergeron out for tonight.  The Habs are playin well and the Sens have not been.  As long as Price is on the bench…we have a shot!

“backup goalie Carey Price”

You just had to rub salt in that wound eh Boonester.

28. SeriousFan09 says:

Better them back a couple days later ready to go than risk aggravating anything, albeit it would have really been nice to see Cammalleri suit up for this game. Guess we have to wait a little longer to welcome back our leading goal scorer which sucks, because he’s always on his best game at the Bell Centre.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

29. Alain T says:

It’s too bad for us the fans!

I think the Habs can still take this game even without the injured guys. As long as the come in focussed, raged with victory and put an agressive forecheck.

Ottawa is pretty fragile and all Habs need is to come out strong and get the early lead.

Go Habs Go

30. habber86 says:

would’ve been a huge boost for this huge game… really too bad

31. JFriedman says:

terrible news…

32. Kristopher7 says:

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

hopefully they’ll be in to OWN Miller.

33. major says:

“backup goalie Carey Price.”

–>  It’s official.

34. sillywalk says:

I think he meant ‘backup for tonight’, which would be more PC. Even so, Price needs a start soon.

35. Cookies says:

There it is.

36. Chuck says:

I didn’t realize that Pat Hickey was the Word of God. Granted, considering his age…  ;)

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

37. Iceberg84 says:

It’s only bad for the PP. Montreal is 11-4-1 since losing Cammy. While his return SHOULD be good for us, I haven’t lost hope for tonight or the season. Go habs go!

38. ooder says: