Cammalleri, Bergeron in, Moen out

Michael Cammalleri is back in his usual spot on left wing on a line with Tomas Plekanec and Andrei Kostitsyn while Marc-André Bergeron is on the fourth line with Glen Metropolit and Sergei Kostitsyn. Both are expected to play Wednesday in Buffalo.

Travis Moen won’t be in Buffalo. He suffered a cut to his forehead from Matt Cullen’s skate.

Moen’s spot on the third line will be filled by Mathieu Darche.

AUDIO: Mike Cammalleri | Jacques Martin

1. Bugs says:

He’s a Louise Ciccone?

What does that mean?

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

L.B. Potter, esq. First Bugler of the St-Habberson’s Club Red Brigade and Head Coachman to the President of Habsbros Flannel-weaving Services: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

2. Jbell10 says:

Sssshhhh. Someone is a little cranky.

Go to bed little boy where you can dream of lollipops and hills made of chocolat, maybe a playoff birth for your maple pops.

Dont worry summer is coming soon, you will be able to put your floaties on and swim in the big boy pool.

3. hab lifer says:

AK is a total waste of cap space. his head is on another planet. example being last night when he received a breakaway pass and totally muffed it, because he has zero intensity and so lacadaisical. kind of reminds me of Price.

but folks shouldn’t worry about who we play in the playoffs, because there won’t be any playoffs for les crappy habitants!

4. Jeff says:

You continue to babble incoherently, i guess it’s genetic.

There are 29 other losing teams, Bugsy, your Habs will be in that group of losers.

LOSER!

5. ed lopaz says:

not dumping on anyone – i clearly stated that i don’t blame russian players or him for that matter. i was making the comment as a habs fan – and some of my gfavorite hockey players have bene russian going back to the old days of the KLM line

russian hockey players can be extremely talented – just don’t think we should draft any until this KHL stuff is figured out.

thanks for the inside info on the story – great info.

6. Bugs says:

That’s funny; they got 24 already…

Epic fail, Biggie.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

7. Jeff says:

Sorry for some grammatical errors, although I thought we were discussing content?

I have a place here to keep all Hab fans realistic, it is my mission.

Who is your hero, not the Buttman?

I will not cease & desist!  Ha! Ha!

8. Bugs says:

If you can GUARANTEE me a Cup? Guarantee. Life in the fire guarantee?

Then by all means, broaden the search to the 4th moon of Saturn.

Until I get it, for my part, I want a coach and a GM that can speak to two thirds of the fan base for whom this club was created.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

9. Jeff says:

You are certifiably bi-polar!

Kessel is an impact player, the Habs have one too Pleks…..for a while anyway.

Next 2 drafts are very weak after the first 3 or 4, Boston may get one to beat up on your Habs again, HA!

Points are points, we are playing spoiler and doing a great job at it too.

You must do more research, Bozak has better stats than Duchene.  Kessel is an NHL star and young!

What happended to Daigle, Stefan, Wickenheiser, et al…. great draft picks.  Do some research!

10. andrewberkshire says:

Why in the world would Martin demote SK74? He was one of the better players last night and has flourished with Moore.

11. Bugs says:

One big rush of anguish. No paragraph breaks. No order.

Jeff, you’re babbling. I can’t read that.

You’re not gonna make me hate you, I’m sorry. It’s not gonna work. I have too much pity for you, knowing you’re stuck loving incompetence personified. Pure incompetence. Losing. All the time. Like losers. (shudder) I don’t know how you do it. But still, you keep going. No hope, no future, no chance, and you still keep going. I should be impressed with your resolve but since it’s Losing you pursue, it’s pity I feel for you instead.

You guys just keep losing, ok?

It’s all you’re good for.

Certainly better than us at it, that’s fersure, so you can rejoice about that, I guess.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

12. Jeff says:

Welcome JD to the group of delusional summit of Hab supporters (fans?).

As I suspected, there is no intellgent retort to the post above.

I cannot understand what it took to instill such a hatred for the Maple Leafs, Canada’s team in a lot of Hab supporters.

It is inconceivable to many real fans that your group is so filled with vicious hatred for the Leafs or Bruins or Sens all Canadian teams??

Why is this so?  Is it an utter sense of futility in the face of overwhelming loss of ancient Hab history?

Decades or long, long years, yes, everything is relative.

Darryl Sittler would have given you an autograph whereas some of your traitors such as Roy would have his son beat you up.  Darryl is a gentleman you are of an other ilk.

Grezky wanted to be a Leaf too, not a Hab!  Other NHL stars have made this abundantly clear too!

I suppose you sell things, probably not that sucessful at it either. From your tone, it is clear that it is a waste of time to respond .

Enjoy your hatred, I would venture that it also includes aspects of racism in your daily life.

Such a sad, sad person. I hope you get some counselling!

13. crabvader says:

1. Start by purchasing a Loafs jersey (assuming you don’t already have one)

2. Delete your HI/O account

3. Sign up to LeafsNation

4. Leave us alone đŸ™‚

14. crabvader says:

Shut up, Meg.

15. hab lifer says:

Kessel is a franchise player and I’d take him in a heartbeat.

16. crabvader says:

I don’t think an Anglo would do a better job. I think it’s just the fact that it never seems like we broaden our searches and consider all our options. It’s French-Canadian or bust.

17. HabFanSince72 says:

You might be marginally better than at the start of the season, but you are still a poor team. Remember that Bozak and Kulemin are your 2nd and 3rd best forwards. And will be next year too. Not exactly Semin and Backstrom.

The Marlies are the worst team in the AHL.

You have no cap space. And no draft picks.

Your goaltending duo is not good and very expensive.

A lot of teams start winning at the end of the season when there’s nothing to play for. Your 3-game winning streak (ha ha) has you wetting yourselves with excitement, but stop dreaming about the Stanley Cup. Ain’t gonna happen unless they go back to a 6-team NHL.

But go ahead and gloat. You are still the 29th best team in the league.

18. hab lifer says:

the habs al;ways suck too! didn’t you watch their pathetic performance last night?

19. Bugs says:

As opposed to pure anglo? Which is a guaranteed, throw your firstborn to the wolves, engraved in stone, certitude?

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

20. crabvader says:

I’d make John LeClair coach… At least he has a French last name…No?

21. Bugs says:

Gui wasn’t the only one to show scoring ability. Ryder, Higgy and D’Ago did too. Who else was there? They showed ability and then they stopped showing ability. And that was it. I don’t see the teams where they’re at “developping them” any better. How in HECK did Minny “develop” Gui in time for his FIRST GAME?

And kudos to the Tampa Bay “developping team” for the extraordinary “developping job” they did with Stamkos. See what I’m sayin? It’s all about the player, his ability and his confidence.

As for Gui’s “attitude”, can I have a link? You know something we don’t? Because even your perception is strong, it doesn’t make it fact. “We traded him cuz for his attitude”? Really? Cuz I thought we traded him for Poulio. So, I’d love a link.

Chipper woulda been great. Then he got injured rather badly in the minors and that was it. The dream was over.

Pyatt is up on the depth chart to show return on McDonagh deal. He would have been assigned to checking role but checking role is properly filled already. Only normal to have him take a spot about to be filled as well. But yes, we all see he’s a checker. And a dang good one too. Further along than McDonagh btw.

Oh, and this kid comin Soobie? Maybe you can check out what he gets up to.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

22. RiverviewCanadien says:

I am not sure on all the details about what happened and Flynn is not going to release all that went on. Kirill left to play in the Under 18 for Russia. Flynn did mention that the tournament would end before the WildCats are done (which would be the 3rd round), so I don’t think the door is closed on the kid. Whether or not he plays again for the Cats…no one knows.

He went through a lot to get here and was hyped up beyond belief (hmmm we as HABS fans know all about that). His injury then left him sidelined, so it had to be hard to get back into it, while learning a new system, etc.

When he took the penalty here in Moncton during game 1, I guess it was Savard that was ripping into him. I also heard that he was not happy playing 3rd line minutes, but hey he is 17 and probably just needs to grow up a little bit. Probably did not help having his parents over here either (from what I heard as well). But so much is speculation.

I think there is a lot to this story that we may never know…but I am not going to dump all over a 17 yr old or just because he is Russian.

23. K-hab25 says:

Glad we’re getting Cammy and MAB back, we need their offense. Including last night, the Habs have scored 1or 0 goals in 17 games this year. Of those 17 games 11 were Price starts, including 1-0 to BUF. He’ll probably start WED, hope they can atleast score a goal for him this time. Price is 1-1 against BUF allowing 2 goals total, Halak is 0-2 allowing 10 goals total. Just thought I’d post that for the people who think Halak should play WED, hopefully Martin uses his brain and not his heart.

24. deggy24 says:

I agree. Lapierre looks terrible out there. Moore isn’t looking that great either, doesn’t win 20% of his one on one battles. I like Darche’s ability to at least win 50% of his corner battles.

On another note, I know people were disappointed in last nights game, but in a pure hockey sense, it was much more enjoyable than the Leafs game. Thought Pleks and AKost had some phenomenal shifts.

25. BoomBoom says:

Get a life…Leafs have been irrelevant since X-mas. Who cares about the Leafs and next year. The Habs have the playoffs to worry about. GO discuss the Leafs on the Loser message boards!

YOU ARE PATHETIC AND SO ARE THE LEAFS!

26. BoomBoom says:

I agree, AK is sleep-walking again. He is so frustrating to watch because you know the guy is one of the most talented guys on the ice.

27. Jbell10 says:

hard to argue that.

So he might just be exhausted…hasnt missed a game all season + olympics.

28. nickster13 says:

well, from what ive read he wants to play in the NHL hence his coming over to N.A early, so maybe its more a case of ok i guess ill wait till i can make an nhl team to come over instead of playing N.A junior leagues and having to deal with low skill level and a coach i dont even like. who knows.

at any rate, id still risk picking him simply based on his skill set, and the fact he wants to play in the NHL someday makes a huge difference

29. SLONCOLD says:

ya he got clocked last nigth as did benny.

30. Iceberg84 says:

If that’s accurate, then I totally agree and that worries me too. I don’t really have an answer to that, I just hope (like most fans) that things will start clicking again when Cammalleri and Bergeron get back. Bergeron may not be the best defensively, but I think his +/- is a bit misleading since half of his 28 points have come on the powerplay. The two of them ought to give us a big boost and that’ll make up for Pleks’ lack of production (maybe he’s distracted by contract negotiations?)

31. mike g says:

Yup, I clearly remember the discussion…

Not trying to defend my point of view, but I don’t think a visor would have saved him. The skate didn’t come from eye level, it came from the ice and moved it’s way up his body and eventually hit his face. The visor would have surely prevented a direct hit, but this was a rising one.

However, if he wore a visor and his helmet strap was tied on tight, the visor would have protected him. Alot of player who wear a visor don’t tie their helmets tight enough, so the visor just lifts up very easily..(see Andrei Kostitsyn)

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

32. ed lopaz says:

that’s exactly my point – we can’t get sucked into that type of thinking any longer – I know he’s a stud – but if he can walk away from his junior team, he will walk away from his nhl team one day and not come back.

33. JD_ says:

“I guarantee you that the Leafs improve next year.”

I’ll second that based purely on the immutable laws of physics.

“They destroyed the Sens all year and were never defeated by the Habs ONCE in regulation time.”

The Loafs would rule in a three-team league. It’s just those 27 other meddlin’ teams that are getting in the way of destiny.

Jeff, I have no personal knowledge of what these guys have written in regard to your Loafs. You need, however, to appreciate that for many of us, Loaf-hating is an art form. I make no apologies about my own personal animosity regarding the Make-Me-Heaves. I have always and will continue to despise the team. Yes, many will pontificate that all of this is a pointless exercise, that it is inherently juvenile, etc… If, however, I were to cease engaging in all the pointless and juvenile activities that I currently enjoy, my calendar would be filled with voids.

The Loafs’ saga, the decades of complete misery, opportunities lost and perpetual failure is a source of neverending entertainment and pleasure. Call it schadenloafe. For example, I note your favourite player of all time is Darryl Sittler. One evening a few years ago, I was in a sports bar in T.O. to grab a beer before heading out to dinner with a client. It was a Loaf game night and Sittler was in the bar signing autographs. I asked him why he was doing so given he’d never won the Stanley Cup. Then, I remembered he had that 10-pointer, patted him on the head, and told him to carry on. Ok, so maybe I didn’t, but the thought crossed my mind.

If Gretzky had been a Loaf, I would have hated him, as well. Same goes for Jesus.

In the end, Jeff, don’t take any of it personally. The Mopey Loafs suck. We enjoy it. It is not a reflection on you.

Cheers.

34. K-hab25 says:

It was a joke. The laff troll said all we do is say “leafs suck” and “Hall is the next Crosby”. So since somebody already posted “leafs suck”, I went with “Hall is the next Crosby”. Thanks for messing up the joke.

35. crabvader says:

Management needs to understand that we need to play a physical game. They rely too much on raw skill.

Until they get it through their thick skull-caps that they have to play hard to win, our North American prospects will just wither away with us.

36. nickster13 says:

except that guy is a stud i would take on my team anyday, once he harnesses his potential. He has the hands of semin and the size of kovalchuk, but like semin needs a little seasoning and he will be an amazing player

37. SLONCOLD says:

well the whole starting a fight could get you the instigator… i also don’t think fights in games do anything otehr than act as a side show for the fans

38. Jbell10 says:

Yes ur right he was the best player on the team, no doubt.

I think it comes down to the fact that he has a tough time playing great when the games get closer to the end of the year. He has trouble with the physical-tight play you need to be successful down the stretch and into the playoffs. Cammy will open up some room on the ice which will help…

Like you said…5 mill bucks? lets see how he does going forward.

39. crabvader says:

Better idea: send Pyatt to Hamilton, sit Lapierre and call up White.

40. mike g says:

Totally understand where your going with this, but he’s still not playing like he was before…check this out:

If teams are covering him more than before because he’s the lone threat on his line, ok. But that’s 5 on 5. In the past 13 games, Plekanec has 0 points on the powerplay. They can’t all focus on him on PP’s, because they’re down a man and we have our best players out there….

0 points on the PP in 13 games for your leading scorer, that’s alarming…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

41. habs001 says:

we have been very poor in developing any north american scoring forwards…the only guy who has shown any scoring ability is latts but because of his attitude he had to be traded…chips,dags turned out to be busts..and i am afraid that maxwell,white,pyatt,maxpac, lapps dont really seem to be more than grinders/checkers…i seen a couple of bulldog games and the remaining forwards on the team do not seem any of them will amount to any offensive threat in the nhl….now our hope is leblanc and kristo but those guys are at least 2 years away…

42. SLONCOLD says:

don’t worry. pleks won’t be back next year. the habs said good bye to him last summer when they got gomez and only extended him contract by one year. i would be shocked if he returns

43. Les-Habitants says:

From everything I’ve read, your line combinations are the ones that seems to be that are actually going to be practised.

44. smiley4 says:

So who is dropped? Lapierre or Pyatt.

3rd line Moore Darche  ??????

4th Line MAB Metro SK74

45. crabvader says:

Another pre-madonna.

I hope we can draft El Nino.

46. Iceberg84 says:

I’d make my lines look like this:

Pouliot – Gomez – Gionta

Cammalleri – Plekanec – Andrei K.

Darche – Moore – Sergei K.

Bergeron  – Metropolit – Lapierre

Also, how come they broke up the Hamrlik – Spacek pairing last night? I thought they were supposed to have played well together while Markov was out.

47. SLONCOLD says:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

48. nick says:

It’s the coaching equivalent of Colin Campbell’s disciplinary committee đŸ˜›

49. Iceberg84 says:

ignore double post

50. Kooch7800 says:

I agree with you on the Moen and Plek’s.  What scares me about pleks is that he is brutal in the playoffs (as you mentioned) and remember how bad he was last year.  What if we sign him to a big contract and he is garbage again?  We won’t win a cup with our top two centres being Gomez and Plek’s.

51. mike g says:

I really can’t answer that question properly. I don’t work for the NHL or one of their franchises, so I have no clue what goes on during negotiations….

But from a knowledgable fans perspective, he has to be one of the most puzzling players out there. How can you give him big money if he’s a constant no show in big games? But then, how can you not sign this loyal player who could sign elsewhere and lose him for nothing?

It’s such a tough situation for the Habs. In a perfect world, I’d offer him 3.5 or 4 million for about 4 years. But he’ll never take that. This years UFA crop is disgusting…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

52. crabvader says:

Piss off, old timer.

53. Iceberg84 says:

Actually, on the Pleks note, maybe some of it has to do with Andrei K coming back from injury and not being 100% and having Tom Pyatt on the other side. Andrei is half asleep (probably because he’s half-injured) and Pyatt just isn’t Cammalleri. Nobody is going to smother Pyatt and expect anything huge from him, they’re all going to be covering Pleks. Having actual threats out there on the ice with him will make Plekanec more effective. At least, I hope it will.

54. SLONCOLD says:

1. Ya pleks will look better when he can pass the puck to someone who can shoot the puck or atleast hit the net. AK is invisible and cammy was out. sorry but he doesn’t have anyone to play with who can finish. the boys from hamilton like darche and pyatt are 3/4 liners

2. hope he gets better. (remember our discussions about visors?)

3. He’s caution as a coach no surprise… but like u said open it up and do soemthing

4. Halak played very well last night. i think right now u go with the guy who will gives you the best chance to win. I personally don’t think price will be any better so i wouldn’t change my goalie(kinda sucks for price; i bet he isn’t so happy sitting out right now)

55. Kooch7800 says:

Hall is good but he is no Crosby.  He is better than Kessel though!

56. ed lopaz says:

Kirill Kabanov quitte les Wildcats

for those who don’t know this guy he should go in the first round of the 2010 nhl entry draft.

he left his junior team, the moncton wildcats, because he was benched for a bad penalty an had a run in with the coach,

the coach, flynn, is one of the most respected in the Q.

i’m really sorry to say this, but I will use this as another example of why the habs should NOT draft russian players until the KHL issue is resolved.

the russians – and other mostly east european players, have a great opportunity to play closer to home, for a lot of money, in a league with their peers,

the risk does not match the reward

the russians are skilled – but far too many are simply not going to want to make the sacrifice it takes to play in the nhl.

nashville got completely burned when they lost radulov – who is a very talented player.

this is more than a short term phenomenon  -its becoming an epidemic – and I don’t blame the russians at all for their choice to play at home.

57. Kooch7800 says:

I think the Moore line has been more of the 3rd line than the 4th.  AK 46 should be on the third line and Sergei on the 2nd.  AK is a waste of space

58. jimmy shaker says:

Pyatt is the odd man out, and then on Thursday with Moen back, lapierre will be watching from the press box as well!

Shaker

59. mike g says:

I’m hoping his “A” game returns, and Cammy can be a big factor in providing some much needed finish around the net.

My point was just to prove that all year long, no matter who Tomas played with, he was by far our best player. He played with every single possible winger on our roster throughout the year, and was constantly producing. Now, when the games are way more important and against desperate teams, he’s gone back to his little girl personality….

Not the way to play when you want big money

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

60. SegerHabs says:

Why do I get the feeling you copied and pasted this post on a Sens fansite too?

61. smiler2729 says:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

P.S. Leafs suuuuck!

62. Wops says:

From Cyberpresse

Les trios Ă  l’entraĂ®nement:

Pouliot – Gomez – Gionta

Cammalleri – Plekanec – Andrei K.

Pyatt – Moore – Sergei K.

Bergeron (Darche) – Metropolit – Lapierre

63. light_n_tasty says:

The Pleks thing is alarming.  He did have 4 goals during the 6 game winning streak, but you’re absolutely right about his big-game performances. A 70 pt player in a supposed breakout / career year.  How much should he get?

64. nick says:

Sergei down to the 4th?!

Are you kidding me? He wasn’t any worse than anyone else out there last night… and given his two first star performances in the last couple games, this doesnt seem like the most intelligent of moves.

But hey thats me.

65. Bryan says:

Leafs are 2nd last in the league with no first round picks for the next 2 years, and you come on here acting like they are going to compete for the Cup next year.  Every year the Leafs make a late season surge once they are eliminated from the playoffs – this year is no different.  Fine, you have some young guys who have some potential… but Kulemin is not the answer to your problems.

Personally, I wouldn’t trade ONE top 3 pick for Kessel, let alone 2.  Kessel’s not a franchise player, but if you look at the players drafted 1-2 in the last couple of years, each is already an impact player. (ie. Stamkos and Doughty)

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

66. Chuck says:

I’m guessing that they don’t address run-on sentences, paragraphing, and proper punctuation until Grade 2.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

67. mike g says:

I also think the Habs will make the playoffs…

But back to the coaching issue, it’s not always about changing lines. Sometimes one shift, a big hit, a big save or even a timeout can be momentum shifters. The only one present last night was some big saves by Halak, but nothing came out of it. The team was still flat. Call a timeout and say nothing, like Babcock did this weekend. It sends a message to the players. Send out Lapierre or O’byrne to start a fight or dish out a big hit. Anything to stirr up something and get Ottawa off their game. Maybe they’ll take a penality and we’d get a powerplay goal off a shitty bounce. WHO KNOWS?

But, none of this was tried last night. JM gave up because nothing was working like it should be, and he looked like he just wanted to run home after the game. You can’t be doing that when your the boss….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

68. K-hab25 says:

Hall is the next Crosby

69. avatar_58 says:

Leafs suck

70. Jbell10 says:

Good stuff.

I think that Cammy missing is a big reason why Pleks has looked sloppy out there. Cammy was a constant sniper and kept the goal scoring confidence up. With him out much of the weight fell on Pleks shoulders and  he just cant handle the extra weight. Luckily Gomer and GIO have been playing great as of late. Pleks will start to grease the wheels once Cammy hits the ice though.

71. Iceberg84 says:

Well said on that last note about the bandwagon. It’s as if you can’t be upset after a loss and say so in the comments without getting snarky replies in response for ‘jumping off the bandwagon’ with things like ‘see you next year, we don’t need you’ blah blah blah. I root for the habs all the way and always will.

I pretty much agree with what you said in general and don’t have many additional thoughts. Price next game, Halak the one after that. The one thing I disagree with is #3. Carbo’s problem was that he was constantly changing lines and never settled on anything. My  guess (and it’s only a guess) is that JM is trying to see what happens if he sticks with the same line combinations every game to let them (finally) develop some chemistry. I think coaching is one of those aspects of the game that’s very difficult to judge and it’s full of ‘what ifs’. So far he’s got a winning record with the habs, and unless that changes he gets a thumbs up from me (though I didn’t think they should have fired Carbo or Julien when they did).

I think the habs will make the playoffs but they certainly aren’t going to clinch a spot this week with games against Buffalo and NJ, plus Florida always tends to step it up a notch against the habs so I don’t count that as a gimme. If Montreal can grab 4 out of the next 6 points, the boys deserve a pat on the back for a job well done.

72. Jeff says:

Here is a post for Bugs, Sholi, Ooder & all the other Leaf-haters, I would like to see a similar post for the future of your Habs????

My Leaf team is ten times better than it was at the start of the season both on paper and on the ice. They didn’t just ‘start’ to win games. They started to win games when Phaneuf, Sjostrom and Giguere came over and they didn’t have a sieve goaltender and paper thin defense. I know that saying ‘Leafs will always suck’ and ‘Hall in the next Crosby’ makes you feel more secure about the Leafs being whipping boys again next year but it’s just not going to be the case. As for the young guys, Gustavsson hasn’t solidified himself as a starter yet but he’s on his way. Bozak wasn’t drafted but his points per game are better than Andrew Ladd and Blake Wheeler who were drafted 4th and 5th overall respectively in 2004, the year Bozak should have been drafted. If you can honestly say you wouldn’t want Kulemin on your hockey team then you know nothing about hockey. The only difference between the Leafs re-build and the 5-7 year re-builds of some other teams is that the Leafs are building with mostly 20-25 year olds instead of drafting them at 18 and waiting 3 years until they develop. I really don’t understand the fallacy that the Leafs aren’t building with high draft picks. They are; the picks just aren’t all theirs. Kadri (7th in 2009), Paradis (29th in 2009), Schenn (5th overall 2008), Kessel (5th overall 2006), Bozak who is having a better season than 2/3 of the 2004 1st round, Phaneuf (9th overall in 2003), Komisarek (7th overall 2001), Sjostrom (11th overall 2001). Even Jamie Lundmark was 9th overall in 1999. Combine that with free agent signings and you have a good base of youth. I don’t see how building with players who are mostly between 20-24 years old is not building with youth. It is. Also, do you think that Hall or Seguin will have more goals than Jordan Staal, Jonathan Toews and Nicklas Backstrom (3 of the 4 guys taken ahead of Kessel)? Because Kessel has more career goals than any of them. I guarantee you that the Leafs improve next year. They destroyed the Sens all year and were never defeated by the Habs ONCE in regulation time. If the Leafs get better it’s only going to get worse for Sens and Habs fans as Scott Gomez isn’t getting any younger, better or cheaper. Oh and I’d like people to remember that Detroit have won 4 Cups since the late 90s and the last time Detroit drafted in the top 5 was 1990 with Keith Primeau. The Anaheim Ducks also won with zero lottery picks on their roster. The highest picks of their own they had were Getzlaf and Perry who were late 1st rounders. The Thrashers on the other hand have zero playoff wins and 6 lottery picks in the past 10 drafts. Tanking guarantees nothing. There’s more than one way to build a team; if you don’t think so, then your Habs and Sens also don’t stand a chance as they’ll never be bad enough to get a succession of top two picks

73. Jbell10 says:

AH finally! Cant wait to see Cammy lean into to one again! The guys a stud….

2 goals in his 1st game back, one on the PP one 5v5.

74. mike g says:

Simple Jack’s Not So Simple Thaughts On Last Night’s Game

Oooookkkk people. The Habs have only generated 1 point in their last 2 games. Everyone in the city is about to jump off the Jacques Cartier bridge. PG and the Molson’s have cancelled their July reservations of St-Catherine’s street. Stores are liquidating all Habs gear, and this site looks more negative than Britney Spears’ kid smoking cigarettes….Just plain rediculous. Now, for my thaughts:

1- Come out, come out wherever you are: Knock-knock, who’s there? NOT Thomas Plekanec, that’s for sure. I’m not sure if he’s put on his skirt and makeup again because the playoffs are around the corner, but he’s been invisible lately. Now that the games seem to matter alot, he’s as quiet as they come on the scoresheet. In the past month and a half, we’ve played Boston(4 times), Philly (2 times), SJ and Ottawa. 8 huge games, against a great team and 7 vs the teams you are totally in a dog-fight with for a playoff spot. His stats? 0 POINTS. Invisible. Yeah, he draws a penality here and there and gets under the skin of the opposition at least, but that’s not his job as #1 center. To make matters worse, for a guy whose supposed to be a passer, he has 1 assist in his past 14 games. 1!. Say all you want about Cammy being injured, but Tomas was lights out during the year with anybody he played with. He was making 4th liners look spectacular. Step it up when it counts Tomas, or you can take the 5+ million$ you want and shove it…..

2- Travis Moaning: Glad to hear that Moen’s doing much better, and didn’t suffer any damage to his eyes. While he hasn’t been playing like the Mack truck we thaught he would be, he still shows up more than a bunch of the Habs. Speedy recovery my friend, we’ll need you for the playoffs.

3- When all else fails, give up: JM seemed to be on a roll the past 2 weeks, coaching the Habs to 6 straights wins. He publicly announces that he won’t be matching his defensive pairings with the oppositions best players, proving he has a ton of confidence in our healthy defense. He made little changes to his game-plan and lineups, and the team responded with some great play. Does that mean when your team is stoned on sleeping pills during one of the most recent “big” games of the year, you don’t change anything and hope that luck strikes again? NO. Watching him look helpless on the bench last night pissed me off more than anything. Immagine how that makes the team feel. Try something; call a timeout, stirr up a fight or kick dumbass Max Lapierre in the face for his pee-wee play at the blueline that resulted in the 1st goal. Wtv you do, just don’t give up like you did. Your attitude last night reflected the play on the ice.

4- Halak a day off, please: That’s probably exactly what Jaro’s thinking right now. He battled hard last night and did his job. It’s not his fault we got shutout, the guy can’t score goals too. But I think we can officially put to rest the notion that “the team plays better infront of Halak”. The last 2 games have been stinkers by the Habs, and Halak was in for both of them. If you ask me he’s still performing up to par, and can still win us the important games. But this kid needs a rest. Play Carey tomorrow and see what happens. Maybe he’ll get us a huge 2 points and go on a winning streak too. Maybe not, but it’s worth a try right now.

Anyways guys I don’t want you to think I’m off the bandwagon. IMO there is no bandwagon. You either cheer them on from the day you’re born and always hope for the best, or you pretend to like them and spit out the same constantly alternating negative/positive garbage as the radio stations do on a daily basis. These were just a few thaughts about last night, and what I’d like to see. We’ve seen them play so much better, so we know they’re capable.

Your thaughts?