Calgary is getting colder

CALGARY – The lovely plus-3C forecasts we heard earlier in the week have turned south, as forecasts often do in this lovely town.

They’re now saying we’ll be looking at minus-9C for the Heritage Classic, but refresh this page and that might have changed. The game goes on, rain or shine.

The NHL’s headquarters hotel for the game is swarming with league types and others. Outdoor bellmen (“You keep up this good work and I’ll see that you become a bellman,” Peter Sellers told the bellboy in The Return of the Pink Panther) are alternating Canadiens tuques with Flames tuques, and there is enough corporate signage to make a marketer a very happy person.

Updates to come from this afternoon’s Canadiens’ practice at the Saddledome; headed there shortly, with the team scheduled to skate at 2:45 pm MST. I’ll likely be updating more frequently on Twitter, so follow me there live, if you wish. You’ll find me here.

1. gmd says:

I would be pissed if PG did this trade, but he won’t because he wasn’t born yesterday.

2. lefreak says:

link?

that would be the dumbest trade ever.

3. observer says:

if eller had played then for habs and not halak it would have been 4 games and out.

4. habs03 says:

First with AK being a RFA this summer, there is no need to trade him for the sake of trading him while his vaule is at it’s lowest. Two Boston does not have many injuries like we do, they are only missing Savard, while we are missing, Markov and Gorges for the rest of the season, not worth selling the farm when you can’t even ice two of you better D-men. Three Boston’s prospect pool is a lot deeper than ours, and their core players are much younger than ours, Kreci,Segiun are both young and can be the future 1-2 down the middle plus Bergeron, We have Pleck and… In 3 years if not sooner Gomes we’l be gone and with the lack of top 6 centers in the league it’s almost impossible to find one via FA or trade, leading the point that ya we could have gotten a winger to play in our top 6 now for Halak but what do you down the middle in the future, hope Ben Maxwell to get the job done (Leblanc play seems to be better suited for RW incase anyone is banking on him). The only problem I have the Halak trade is that since San Jose was one of the teams that want him had offered Logan Couture maybe P.G. should have taken that then the St Louis offer. And one more thing. And one more thing, if Toronto offered Kaberle for Patches early on this season, to go along with your thinking P.G. should of accepted it rightt way?

5. punkster says:

…and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on…

***Subbang!!!***

6. LA Loyalist says:

A general NHL grievance…

LA Kings are on a TEN GAME road trip. What is up with that in a non-Olympic year? I don’t care about the Kings but if they can do it to the Kings they can do it to any team. Their last road game is Anaheim, so technically they can sleep in their own beds, but still.

Does Gary just do what Gary wants? Is this punishing LA for not signing Kovalchuk?

Commentariat?

7. J_P says:

The kings are playing so poorly this year, and for no good reason might I add, that they dont deserve any favors anyway.

8. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I haven’t seen Eller’s glove hand…you might be right.

9. habs fan for life says:

If anyone cares Ian White was trade to the Sharks

10. habs03 says:

Also, wasn’t PG one of the first to make a move when he got Wis from the Isl, so instead of weeks ago, he did it almost two months ago, and he also get Mara for nothing, and with reports that Wis might be out a month, that trade looks even better.

11. lefreak says:

oh boy….

really? this?

*points and snickers*

12. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Oh, you beat me to it, sorry, haha. I’ll scroll down further before replying next time!

13. BoomBoom says:

Hey troll, didn”t we tell you to get lost!

Bruins haven’t got past the 2nd rd in years and last time I checked they were only one of three teams in NHL history to blow a 3-0 game lead and then blow a 3-0 lead in game 7. Kaberle, Peverly and who ever else they got won’t mean squat. The Bruins are still the same crew that choked last year.

14. ZepFan2 says:

“theyve done better tan habs the last few years”

Yup, blowing a 3-0 series lead, and for an extra bonus, a three goal lead in game 7 is much better than going the ECF.

“pitts did not mortgage the future each year”

No, only those years they tanked.

Does your brain work in technicolor?

———————————————————————— “Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.” ~Serge Savard~

15. observer says:

gave up a 5th for mara who stunk here last year healthy scr 23 of his last 25 games in anaheim hasn’t even played in over a month. wiz did not equal markov in ability. gave up a #2 for him and he is a free agent probably gone in july like all those other free agents these geniuses traded for schneider, lang, moore, tanguay a 1 and a 2, etc. all gone after less than half a season – and on this board they use smart sounding things they heard on TSN like “not mortgaging the future”. give me a break.

16. Storm Man says:

This post is from someones infant wisdom today. ” Most francophones are bang on and more knowledgeable about the Habs,Than the Anglophones I see on here. I find the Anglophones to be much more biased and much less in tune to the reality of the situation”. This post was done today at 15:38 by manApart. Under the Updates posting.

17. Admiral_Adama says:

Yet they still play a “superior brand of hockey”…

18. joeybarrie says:

I think your confused……..

Habs   211 Reg Season wins in the last 5 years. Along with 41 playoff games.

Bruins 197 Reg Season wins in the last 5 years. Along with 31 playoff games.

LASTLY, the Habs are 3-1 in the last 4 series between them.

Just so you know by the way, Pittsburgh mortgaged the present for about 5 years between 2001-2006 to get where they are. Flyers DEAD LAST in 2006-2007. Dont even get me started on SJ…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

19. Gormdog says:

A troll is a troll is a troll is a troll.

I STILL don’t understand why anyone ever replies to observer. Ever.

20. Storm Man says:

It was manapart that posted that.

21. habs03 says:

You are such a hypocrite, just above you are saying how Boston just got Kaberle who is UFA also this summer. You fail to give both sides to the story and leave out the context, Gainey gave up those picks for Tanguay but once July 1st came around he choose to sign Cammy instead of Tanguay, so are you saying it would have been better to keep Tanguay instead of signing Cammy?

22. LA Loyalist says:

Did SJ really offer Logan Couture for Halak?

Or is that conjecture? I don’t want to blow a gasket for nothing.

As for Kaberle for Patches, as fair as it may be to criticize the Bob/PG brain trust, you can’t hold them accountable for not fore-seeing the decimation of injuries on our blue line. Sure you want reasonable depth, but our situation is beyond foresight.

What they SHOULD have done is kept Streit. That was a mistake, but of course now he’s hurt too. The twists of fate.

Anyone want TimBits(tm) :)

23. Bugs says:

Maybe we could call a few teams and ask’em if we can take their available d-men out on a loaner for the next ten days, test-drive’em as it were, before we make up our minds whether or not to keep’em at the deadline?

Hell, it’s worth a SHOT; we’re friggin DYIN over here! Gogo, who’s mindin the damn store, anyway? DO sumpin!

Yeah, and to believe some MORON actually suggested trading the Hamr and Weber in a package for Brad Richards yesterday, I mean…it’s BEYOND friggin words… What next, suggest Soobie toss himself off the Jacques-Cartier? Nitwit.

24. JasonM says:

Trade talk aside… I was looking at the Habs stats this year and did you know that Gomez is currently -18 for this season? Only Wiz is worse at -19 and all of that carried over from his tenure from the Islanders.

I find it’s unacceptable that a player who’s taking 8M on our salary cap with only 7 goals and 29 points 3/4 into the season is still playing 20 minutes a game. If the Habs weren’t 6th with 7 points ahead of the 8th place this would be talk of the town. 8M is a hefty price to play for a player who projected to finish this season with 37 points and a -24.

25. habs03 says:

Not saying Couture was offered at all, but he was saying we should have gotten more, and since San Jose was in the running for Halak I was just saying maybe if they offered Couture (was vauled pretty much the same as Eller earlier on), the only mistake would have been taken the St Louis offer instead of the SJ.

26. lefreak says:

hockey fan first, habs fan second:D

27. punkster says:

Fine, and from now on I drop the ful, Belly!

***Subbang!!!***

28. punkster says:

That would be great.

***Subbang!!!***

29. LA Loyalist says:

An AK trade would probably have to be like the Tenders/Poo trade – two talented but troubled guys where each team is taking an equivalent risk. Would Nashville bite now that it looks like SK doesn’t really want to play in Russia after all? Who would we want from them?

Not so easy to do. Gomez could only go to a playoff team with decent finishers needing a depth set up guy and we would have to take someone massively underperforming for big $ back – again hard to do and what’s the point?

How the heck does Stevie Y do it? He must take vitamins

30. andrewberkshire says:

I really really hope not. According to Francois Gagnon, Gill is ready to go. The lines at practice were Hamrlik-Mara, Gill-Subban, Picard-Weber. Wiznewski is home resting but wants to play Sunday.

31. punkster says:

I think we’re going to find out if that’s true very soon.

***Subbang!!!***

32. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Well said, Craig!

33. LA Loyalist says:

Tinordi could turn out to be a beast for us? What do you think? No? (realizing you don’t get something for nothing).

34. punkster says:

OK, see, it’s like this…I, ah…er…put theWyman thing in there to see who was paying attention. And you, JB, are the WINNER!!! So come on down here and get your prize, big guy. Come on, don’t be shy, you deserve it.

Oh, and the skip work thing? I’m retired so I got lots o’ time on my hands to rattle off stuff like this. Piece o’ cake really. Nothing to it.

Hang on, that’s the phone…

“Pierre, dude, WAZZUP?…Haha, you betcha, yep, all by myself. No, no. No thanks required. What? Oh, the Wyman thing? Well that was just to see if you were payng attention but you know this other guy already spotted it and I’ve promised him the…what?…No…no, no, no…not a problem PG. You’re the WINNER. Yep you win. OK, I’ll get that prize off to you just as soon as the tuneup is done. Should I leave the snows on? Yes? OK, won’t be long. Yep, you too. Bye now”

***Subbang!!!***

35. andrewberkshire says:

It would be a risk worth taking for sure.

36. andrewberkshire says:

With Nash already up, I don’t think anyone in Hamilton aside from Carle is even close to good enough to play in the NHL right now.

37. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

I think everyone should agree that if there is one position Martin and Muller would excel at developing, with mentors like Gill, Hamrlik, and markov, its a Dman.

38. TomNickle says:

Maybe.  Considering how dire their need is for a veteran defenseman, I’d be inclined to agree, but time will tell.

39. StevieRay says:

I’ve got some more waterfront property in Louisana I’d like to sell ..cheap

40. andrewberkshire says:

Still a steal.

41. alestar says:

But we got Paul Mara…PAUL MARA!

XXIV…and counting

42. Mark C says:

Why don’t you apply this very reasonable line of thinking to how you evaluate Montreal management?

If you believe what you just wrote then you’ve justified every young player trade in recent Montreal history.

43. punkster says:

Oh, and I like your suggestion about Carle, Tinordi etc below…if a Begosian type D could be found for that.

***Subbang!!!***

44. StevieRay says:

I’ve got some waterfront property in Louisana I’ll see you cheap ?

45. SeriousFan09 says:

But he traded youth away and signed older defencemen, now doesn’t that sound like something crazy old Pierre Gauthier would do? Didn’t even give Meszaros a chance to work with supercoach Guy Boucher. With Brewer on board, their defence is an over-30 crew that could catch up to them very fast in the next couple seasons. Brewer is 32, Brett Clark is 34, Kubina is 33, Ohlund is 34. What happens if Brewer is retained and that D is around for two more years? TBL don’t have anyone even close to Hedman’s grade in their system and their top prospect? Hip issues in juniors and he wouldn’t even let himself get examined by doctors before draft day. Tampa Bay’s defence will be *gasp* old men very soon.

Also Question: Would that team be anywhere if Stamkos missed the season to injury?

They’ve been riding the Stamkos and St. Louis show all season. If JM just gets lucky riding a hot goaltender than having one of the best RWs in the NHL with potentially, a better goal-scorer than Ovechkin is not exactly taking nobodies on a Sports Movie Underdogs run.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

46. andrewberkshire says:

Absolute steal. As the guy above you noted there’s a prospect involved as well, but it’s still a massive steal for TB.

47. JohnBellyful says:

Let me get this straight. I win a prize, and then I don’t win a prize.

Just wait, you used to cheer for the Leafs didn’t you? Yeah, it figures. Well, no more ster from me, Punk!

48. TomNickle says:

And Brock Beukeboom

49. Hellfire_Habsfan says:

3rd and prospect brock beukeboom

50. ManApart says:

Unbelievable. We trade a 5th for Mara and Yzerman gets Brewer for a 3rd. That was the guy i really wanted too. Is it too late to fire PG and hire Yzerman? The man has made Montreal’s neverending 7 year rebuild look like a complete joke, from what he has done in less than a year. Nevermind Burkie’s adventure in TO, although he has done better the last few weeks.

51. punkster says:

Andrew, maybe of the best ones but there are, what, 6 others to choose from there who could come in for a few games. Not the best scenario of course but would you rather dig into the good resources for a trade that fills a temporary requirement…a few weeks? If the farm system has any value it’s now. Or, find a buyer of our 3 or 4 underperforming regulars for one so-so D-man and fill their spots from Hamilton. Either way you gotta go to Hamilton for something, right?

***Subbang!!!***

52. TomNickle says:

The number of injuries have gone from bad luck to trendy.  There’s a problem with the collapse in front of the net and block as many 90 mph shots as possible strategy.

53. Barts says:

Former NHL D-man Jeff Beukeboom’s son.

54. JohnBellyful says:

You got spunk, Punkster, I grant you that, and I mean that in a nice way. (Should we start calling you Spunkster?) It’s obvious you skipped work today to work on this proposal. It’s just too bad you missed the deadline the club set for fan trade submissions (remember, Feb. 15). Still, I’m sure once the Habs have exercised due diligence in going over your suggestions, you’ll be hearing from them and it’s probably to ask the same question I have: You include Wyman in the trade for Kovalchuk, and yet you say at the end he should be added to the big club’s roster. That really weakens your credibility in what is otherwise a masterful display of managerialism.

55. Hellfire_Habsfan says:

Phillips will stay in ott they are working on a contract.. Not going anywhere

56. lefreak says:

i would completely agree if i didn’t live in the same city as they clueless hockey loonies:p

“eyyyyy jean la rumeur qui court cette semaine c’est alex auld pour sidney crosby et un choix de premiere ronde.”

“non non non benoit…ca va prendre malkin aussi pour etre un bon deal.”

57. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Now THAT is what you call, epic. Would kill to have such name. ;)

58. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

In all seriousness Craig – what do you think should the Canadiens do?

Should they wait for Gill and Spacek to return before making any moves? I always enjoy reading your posts, so thought I’d ask you this.

I am just a tad worried about the Habs’ upcoming stretch. It would really blow to see our beloved Habs slump now, in the most critical point of the season.

59. Hellfire_Habsfan says:

he had to give up 3rd and  a prospect too

60. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Apparently Burke is having quite the press conference at the moment…doing the usual Burke stuff. Coworker told me he said that he doesn’t want to limp into the playoffs and then be out in the first round, so why not plan for next year.  Surprising that he’d say that.

61. ed lopaz says:

maybe because Boucher didn’t want him?

maybe because he was over priced?

Until this season, he was heading in the wrong direction.

we don’t know the whole story with this guy – do we?

gauthier gave up a 2nd rounder for dominic moore, for petes sake.

tampa just got brewer for a 3rd rounder – would you trade brewer for dominic moore?

62. andrewberkshire says:

By substantial I mean another of our top prospects. Probably Bournival. Bogosian in my opinion could be had for a package like that, easily. Especially if you’re not giving Atlanta any salary to pay in return.

63. NightRyder says:

Colorado’s in the shytter.

Gomez for OB!

64. SeriousFan09 says:

He’s been benched this season (Fire Craig Ramsay!) and his development has stalled ATM, Star is a little premature but the potential exists, Andrew’s probably on the mark RE a 1st, a former 1st-rounder in Tinordi, Carle but they’d likely want another name, potentially a Leblanc or a roster player.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

65. Hellfire_Habsfan says:

WOW !!! BREWER ONLY FOR a 3RD ROUND PICK>>>>

Steven hindle stating setoguchi to habs or caps perhaps.. looking into details.. and PG was in SJ last night for the SJ wash game…

66. punkster says:

He may have meant “POOPOUS”.

***Subbang!!!***

67. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

I don’t want PG to make any hasty moves.

But given the fact that we have FIVE, I repeat FIVE regular d-men injured, he MUST trade for a d-man. No, Paul Mara is NOT the answer to our defensive woes.

Eric Brewer, who could have been a valuable asset, has been traded to Tampa Bay Lightning.

PG is running out of time. We need a dman. Even if we have to trade a pick and/or prospect.

Picard, Weber and Subban playing 25+ minutes…God. Not saying that these guys are not NHL dmen, but our team cannot risk losing so many points.

With ONE win in last six games – it is time to make a move.

68. ManApart says:

You’re quite wrong on that. Meszaros had 16 million for 4 years left on a deal with Tbay and had vastly underachieved with the team since coming over from Ottawa. Yzerman came in and cleared that big contract off the books and got a 2nd pick for it. It was pretty universally lauded as a great move at the time. Yzerman then went and signed Brett Clark and Pavel Kubina to plug up some D holes, both guys of which have played excellent for the team. don’t doubt Yzerman, in one year he has brought Tampa a huge amount of the way from non-playoff team to boderline contender. He came in with a ton of expectations and has surpassed them all. He makes Montreal’s 7 year rebuild and Burkes TO project look like a joke.

69. Storm Man says:

Maybe you are short in life if you see nothing wrong with posting something like that on here. FYI my mother tounge is French btw but thanks for showing me what a underachiever you are. You generalise alot of things on here with bargain-basment,popus,insufferable gems of wisdom. Don’t take the wisdom thing to heart btw. Here is a number for you to call she can help you with your problem as you have one that is for sure. 514-278-2288. Good luck James and I do mean that.

70. Ghosts of the Forum says:

And a prospect named Brock Beukeboom:

71. Hellfire_Habsfan says:

I agree… I would imagine PG does something tonight .. because the way things are going there is going to be no one left come the deadline…..

72. punkster says:

Suggestion?

***Subbang!!!***

73. andrewberkshire says:

We’ve plumbed Hamilton completely dry now, Dave. Only Carle is left and he has to go through waivers.

74. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

You’re right Dave – maybe I am panicking. But I am just worried about the upcoming stretch. It’s not an easy schedule, especially with the Habs playing a lot of games on the road.

Mara, Subban, Nash, Picard, Hamrlik and Weber. Kind of scary don’t you think.

Look what Edmonton did to us last night. Thinking about the Nucks and Flames is scary.

I understand that Gill, Wisniewski and Spacek will be back – but Gorges and Markov won’t. At least one d-man is needed so that the old geezers don’t run out of gas in playoffs.

75. Bugs says:

For the record…cuz it’s a little disconcerting to see Mtlers so keen to bash Mtlers and a little weird from my perspective to have to defend one from another, but for the record, the indications on the ballot were CLEAR: “Vote for your FAVOURITE player.”

Not “Vote for who you think is the best,” but indeed “Vote for your FAVOURITE player.”