Calgary is getting colder

CALGARY – The lovely plus-3C forecasts we heard earlier in the week have turned south, as forecasts often do in this lovely town.

They’re now saying we’ll be looking at minus-9C for the Heritage Classic, but refresh this page and that might have changed. The game goes on, rain or shine.

The NHL’s headquarters hotel for the game is swarming with league types and others. Outdoor bellmen (“You keep up this good work and I’ll see that you become a bellman,” Peter Sellers told the bellboy in The Return of the Pink Panther) are alternating Canadiens tuques with Flames tuques, and there is enough corporate signage to make a marketer a very happy person.

Updates to come from this afternoon’s Canadiens’ practice at the Saddledome; headed there shortly, with the team scheduled to skate at 2:45 pm MST. I’ll likely be updating more frequently on Twitter, so follow me there live, if you wish. You’ll find me here.

1. JohnBellyful says:

Let me get this straight. I win a prize, and then I don’t win a prize.

Just wait, you used to cheer for the Leafs didn’t you? Yeah, it figures. Well, no more ster from me, Punk!

2. JohnBellyful says:

You got spunk, Punkster, I grant you that, and I mean that in a nice way. (Should we start calling you Spunkster?) It’s obvious you skipped work today to work on this proposal. It’s just too bad you missed the deadline the club set for fan trade submissions (remember, Feb. 15). Still, I’m sure once the Habs have exercised due diligence in going over your suggestions, you’ll be hearing from them and it’s probably to ask the same question I have: You include Wyman in the trade for Kovalchuk, and yet you say at the end he should be added to the big club’s roster. That really weakens your credibility in what is otherwise a masterful display of managerialism.

3. lefreak says:

i would completely agree if i didn’t live in the same city as they clueless hockey loonies:p

“eyyyyy jean la rumeur qui court cette semaine c’est alex auld pour sidney crosby et un choix de premiere ronde.”

“non non non benoit…ca va prendre malkin aussi pour etre un bon deal.”

4. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

In all seriousness Craig – what do you think should the Canadiens do?

Should they wait for Gill and Spacek to return before making any moves? I always enjoy reading your posts, so thought I’d ask you this.

I am just a tad worried about the Habs’ upcoming stretch. It would really blow to see our beloved Habs slump now, in the most critical point of the season.

5. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Apparently Burke is having quite the press conference at the moment…doing the usual Burke stuff. Coworker told me he said that he doesn’t want to limp into the playoffs and then be out in the first round, so why not plan for next year.  Surprising that he’d say that.

6. NightRyder says:

Colorado’s in the shytter.

Gomez for OB!

7. Hellfire_Habsfan says:

WOW !!! BREWER ONLY FOR a 3RD ROUND PICK>>>>

Steven hindle stating setoguchi to habs or caps perhaps.. looking into details.. and PG was in SJ last night for the SJ wash game…

8. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

I don’t want PG to make any hasty moves.

But given the fact that we have FIVE, I repeat FIVE regular d-men injured, he MUST trade for a d-man. No, Paul Mara is NOT the answer to our defensive woes.

Eric Brewer, who could have been a valuable asset, has been traded to Tampa Bay Lightning.

PG is running out of time. We need a dman. Even if we have to trade a pick and/or prospect.

Picard, Weber and Subban playing 25+ minutes…God. Not saying that these guys are not NHL dmen, but our team cannot risk losing so many points.

With ONE win in last six games – it is time to make a move.

9. Storm Man says:

Maybe you are short in life if you see nothing wrong with posting something like that on here. FYI my mother tounge is French btw but thanks for showing me what a underachiever you are. You generalise alot of things on here with bargain-basment,popus,insufferable gems of wisdom. Don’t take the wisdom thing to heart btw. Here is a number for you to call she can help you with your problem as you have one that is for sure. 514-278-2288. Good luck James and I do mean that.

10. Hellfire_Habsfan says:

I agree… I would imagine PG does something tonight .. because the way things are going there is going to be no one left come the deadline…..

11. punkster says:

Suggestion?

***Subbang!!!***

12. Bugs says:

For the record…cuz it’s a little disconcerting to see Mtlers so keen to bash Mtlers and a little weird from my perspective to have to defend one from another, but for the record, the indications on the ballot were CLEAR: “Vote for your FAVOURITE player.”

Not “Vote for who you think is the best,” but indeed “Vote for your FAVOURITE player.”

13. LA Loyalist says:

GM – Patrick Roy with a capologist to assist.

Coach: Jaques Lemaire (who only has a one year deal in NJ and who says he won’t coach next year, but…) retaining Kirk Muller — or alternately Kirk Muller.

Defense Coach: Larry Robinson

Special Teams Coach: Suggestions? I’m talking PP, PK and faceoffs

before you snear, if we don’t hire Roy a) Quebec City will and b) the hockey gods will be appeased and stop all our bad injuries – that’s pretty much guaranteed.

Free TimBits(tm) for the best responses.

14. joeybarrie says:

Phenomenal response. You are no longer part of the ‘WE’……..

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

15. lefreak says:

don’t use the term “we” please.

the people you speak of are the same people that think we should win the cup every year, or else everything is a monumental failure.

Never forget that some habs fans are like leafs fans…they don’t watch games outside of their market, barely understand anything about hockey outside of the “bleu blanc rouge”, and stuff ballot boxes so that a pylon like mike komisarek can play at the all star game:p

16. observer says:

i repeat – if eller was playing on that team and halak for st louis habs would have l0ost in 4 straight. of course eller would have just been a skater but halak would not have been there. that shows y7ou how stupid gauthier was in thinking ellers ability= hyalaks in trade value. but i guess you couldnt figure that out for yourself. nor that the playoffs were a fluke only because halak was on fire. yet gauthier didnt reali8ze that ewither and didnt bolster the 88 point squad. this is a poorly managed team.

17. joeybarrie says:

So if this trade is so dumb and obviously never going to happen, why do we think we can get PENNER for Picard? Why do we think PG can get a 30 goals scorer for our usd parts???

We need to e realistic about what a GM can accomplish at the trade deadline.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

18. observer says:

theyve done better tan habs the last few years getting farther . but they arent the only constantly bolstering their roster – philly, det, bost, sj, etc. because they all want to try to win THIS YEAR and dont give me the mortgage the future, pitts did not mortgage the future each year, nor did bost now AND THE VERY SAME gainey gauthier traded AWAY so many 2nd round picks to make your head spin plus a 1st rounder plus 1st and 2nd round picks by habs.

19. punkster says:

Because Eller’s a crappy goalie?

What?

***Subbang!!!***

20. lefreak says:

the sabres have a 6 game home stand before going on a 7 game road trip.

teams from the West generally have rougher travel schedules.

21. habs03 says:

For once I’d like to hear a solution from you, so lets say Gauthier was to be fired, who should be his replacement? Don’t forget the status of the MTL Canadien, so the GM has to be French speaking, etc.

22. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Yes, their fantastic organization really shone through last year in the playoffs, while our terrible one really didn’t.

23. Hali_Hab says:

According to multiple sources, the Canadiens have been speaking with the Columbus Blue Jackets about blueliner Rostislav Klesla, currently nursing a knee injury, and winger Kristian Huselius.

i seriously hope that not plan A

“After 13 years, I couldn’t accept to be number two.“ Guy Lafleur.

24. HabFanSince72 says:

If the cup run is dead before it starts is there any harm in signing a bunch of goons – and  I mean real goons – guys who are playing in teh ECHL or worse – guys in perpetual  ‘roid rage, and go all slapshot on  the Bruins next time we play.

I like Jon “Nasty” Mirasty, but there must be others even freakier out there.

25. Hali_Hab says:

hahahah!

“After 13 years, I couldn’t accept to be number two.“ Guy Lafleur.