Busy day for the Canadiens

Gionta scores
There’s a team meeting and practice in Brossard.
Then the players will make their annual visits to the Montreal Children’s and Sainte-Justine hospitals.

Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

Red Fisher’s take

Dave Stubbs on James Wisniewski

Allen McInnis photo gallery

Pierre Ladouceur’s game report card

Geoff Molson delivers vote of confidence to GM and coach

1. Bripro says:

I’m probably going to get some flak about this, but watching Columbus last night with my buddies, our main question was:
    “With talent like this, how can they be in the bottom of the standings?”
    Yes, the habs mostly stunk out the joint, but it was mostly mental mistakes, and not playing a tight postured and up-the-side game.
    They kept attempting these blind passes, up the middle, behind the back, into the abyss, and Columbus kept intercepting them.
    I don’t think the Blue Jackets will be bottom dwellers very long, with everyone returning and the talent they possess.
    Their top line is indeed an elite line. Something the Habs lack.

• TomNickle says:

Cole, Pacioretty and Desharnais have been elite. They’ve controlled play and produced offensively in an elite fashion.

• The Dude says:

Tom …I like Cole, Desi and Pax but all of them for Nash in a heartbeat!

• Bripro says:

Maybe not all three, but a combination of two of them and a later draft pick. I like Cole. He’s the closest to an elite player we have right now.
          But you look at Max’s shootout last night, and it’s obvious that he still doesn’t have the hands.

• TomNickle says:

No thanks. Nash is a 40 goal scorer. Pacioretty is a 30 goal scorer, Cole is 25-30.

Last time I took math at school 55 was greater than 40.

• habsnation says:

Your wrong here. You can always find 20-30 goal scorers somewhere.

Take the 40 goal man, add a 20 goal guy for nothing (free agency) and now 60 > 55

• G-Man says:

Their last 10, Columbus is 5-3-2. They have turned the corner on this season.

• Bripro says:

Wiz is back from his suspension, Carter and Martinek are back from injury, and you can be sure that Nash, Prospal and Vermette will be finding the back of the net more. And sorry Tom, but the Habs don’t have a Nash in the lineup. Not even close.
        And I was reminded last night that Sanford was another abandonment by the Habs.

• habsnation says:

They can live with losing Sanford given that they have Price.
          Losing prospects where they aren’t as deep is what really hurts the franchise, i.e. giving away Ryan McDonagh.

2. ed lopaz says:

one of the strangest comments of the year was after the win in L.A. Boone suggested that:

ALL of the Habs were playing to their FULL POTENTIAL under Martin.

seriously??

3. nick says:

I figured it out.
    JM and PG are throwing the season… The masses simply haven’t caught on yet.

• Ian Cobb says:

They are going to fill the organization with first rounders at the draft. After the trade dead line we should have 4 or 5 first round picks!

• podbay says:

Problem is, Gauthier would use those 4 or 5 first-rounders to draft players that would remain in the minors for 3-5 years so that they can be properly developed. PG has no interest in drafting someone who can actually play in the NHL from right out of junior hockey.

• ihabto says:

haha i said something similar a few days ago, except that I think PG and JM are doing their best and it’s Molson that is throwing the season by keeping them around. Look for his directive to clean house at the trade deadline, pick up a few picks, and then spiral into a lottery pick…if his PG and JM won’t do it he’ll replace them with someone who will :p

4. Danno says:

Is there any chance Martin will be shown the door and one of the Randies will get the interim job as HC? And if so, which one?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

5. TOP DAWG says:

Martin couldn’t motivate an over weight 12 year old eat an ice-cream cone. Martin couldn’t motivate a dog to eat a falling wiener on the floor. Martin couldn’t motivate Demi Moore sleep with George Clooney. You get my point right!

Carbo is still on contract to Montreal so switch Martin with Carbo. Give him another shot!

“If you’re not the TOP DAWG, the view never changes”

6. Hobie Hansen says:

Watching the Habs the last little while reminded me of watching the Canucks and Bruins last spring.

I remember watching those games and wondering how in the world Vancouver made it this far and where the heck was all their depth?

Montreal has about 3 players going right now (Cole, Plekanec and Kostitsyn) and the rest seem totally ineffective.

Gionta may have 9 goals but he and Cammalleri are useless unless they’re being setup in the slot on a silver platter. Cammallerri more than Gionta, has no ability to carry the puck or do anything but snap the puck.

I kept wondering what was missing last night and if we missing a few players on offense?

Martin has to put a couple of the larger players back on the same line together to try and create another option other than the smaller players being stripped of the puck and pushed to the outside all night long….

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold the Smurf tradition high.”

7. ont fan says:

Just heard Gainey and Carbo in the wings. Darren Mallard

8. Habfan4lfe says:

Just as I suspected Geoff Molson is clueless about PG and JM. Vote of confidence, Hahaha!

Looks like if we make it to playoffs it will be by skin of our teeth. I suspect on how we are doing we will finish near the bottom.

• nellis13 says:

and gomez too. WTF?!?

• Everlasting1 says:

Drinking too much of his own product.

——————————————————————-
        “For I will go through the land of Egypt on that night, and will smite all the first-born in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the Gods of Egypt I will execute judgments: I am the LORD.” Exodus 12:12

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

9. habs001 says:

While i was hoping at the beginning of the season that camm would provide a 30 plus season to help our scoring we are getting very little scoring support from many players…enquist,palushaj,blunden,darche,nokia,gomex,eller have a combined 124 games played with 4 goals…our d provides no goals so once again we are in the bottom 1/3 in scoring just like last year and the year before…

• Timo says:

Doesn’t it sound like Reggie Houle team?

• kempie says:

Not until Price is run out of town.

• habsnyc says:

i miss houle, he had no budget, no prospects and no experience. gainey had a budget, prosepcts and experience. in the end, the only difference between them is that gainey left behind a giant mess and houle’s mess was gone in a year.

• Bripro says:

Houle’s mess was gone in a year?
          Really? You don’t remember much about his mess, do you?
          The franchise has never been the same since.

• habsnyc says:

He had no lingering contracts. He did not trade away young players. He had no budget to keep his good players in their prime. He gave away Turgeon and Roy. But Roy was a trade way beyond his pay grade, he was not to blame for it. Within a couple years, the team was back in the playoffs with a Hart winning goalie. He drafted Markov, Ryder and Ribeiro who are the three best players drafted from Saku in 93 until Price in 05.

• shiram says:

I thought Cammy would pot in at least 35 this season, maybe 40! He seemed so primed and ready during the summer and the team added Cole, Patches was coming back so the team could create space for him…
      Good thing they got Moen to take up the slack!
      Kostitsyn is also doing great considering his reduced TOI, and PP time and third line status.

10. punkster says:

- Cole was awesome, strong, fast, engaged, involved, physical but Max and DD were not even in the same arena last night
    - Cammy had a terrible time making passes and fumbles with the puck more than controls it
    - PK was simply horrid at times, but quite good other times (brain farts followed by brilliance)
    - Emelin was very strong and very good (even when putting himself out of position he managed scramble back)
    - Diaz was like PK, mostly good some not so good, certainly no the dud as so many here seem to think
    - Gill was fine, nothing spectacular but certainly not deserving of the scorn people here heap on him and clearly an on ice leader
    - Price was Price, sharp, no stinkers

None of the rest stood out in any way except one; they cannot make a clean line change to save their sorry butts. On the first BJ goal the line change looked like a flock of geese all taking off in the same direction. No concept of coverage or defence on any line change I watched.

Oh well, a good single point when your division rivals lose on the same night. Save your breath, I don’t really care if you disagree.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Timo says:

Please tell me you paid a ton of money to see that last night? Please?! It will make me feel better :)

• habstrinifan says:

” I was at the game. I don’t mean to disrupt the whining session here but the view from the seats may be a bit different than on TV:”

No revelation in your ‘from the seat’ revelations. But you can call us whiners after having paid out the admission fee.

• RGM says:

You’ve basically said the same things we’ve all been discussing today. So I’m not sure where the “whining” point comes in to the equation other than the “But I was there, man, I was there. Until you were there, you do not understand.”

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Gill is still good shorthanded but that´s it. Even JM has realized that he sucks 5-5. He only played 10 and 11 even strength minutes in the last two games. Good for him that Weber currently is worse. When two of the three, Spacek, Campoli and Markov are back, Gill should be in the pressbox.

11. shiram says:

So, the concensus is that last night was bad, but one guy keeps plugging along, doing his thing…

12. shiram says:

Spacek in a contact jersey at practice.

13. redgorf says:

mjames
    JM he may not be the architech but he is the jockey of those horses.

• Habsrule1 says:

The reason i disagree with mjames (not saying I’m right) is that I actually think the team is better than their record. Besides some bad luck on the back end, wherein we are forced to play some guys more than we should, I think we have a fairly solid line-up that is better than a .500 team. In my opinion, the players are not being used to their strengths and I feel a different coach may do that better.
      That being said, I concede that JM knows more about running a team than I do.

Go Habs Go!!

• shiram says:

What do you consider .500 hockey?
        Is getting half the points .500 hockey, or is it having equal number of wins and losses+OT losses?
        Just curious as the .500 thing comes back often, but with OT points it’s not so clear.

• Habsrule1 says:

I think .500 is half the points available. I really hate the shootout losses. to me, it does not indicate which team is better in any way, shape or form.
          I’d rather OT until someone wins, and the loser gets 0 points. Of course the format would have to be 4on4, 3on3, etc, so the game ends fairly quickly.

Go Habs Go!!

Did you mean type ruining a team or running a team?

14. habsnyc says:

I previously believed that the Roy trade was they seminal event that diminished this franchise. Now I realize that the root cause was the 1995 relocation of the Nordiques to Colorado. Faced with no competition, management has no reason to take risks to succeed. There are no other hockey teams that matter to Quebecers and there are no other sports teams. If the Nordiques ever return to Quebec, this franchise will have a rude awakening.

• Habsrule1 says:

That’s a good point that I haven’t really thought of. They would not want to be the second best team in the province.

Go Habs Go!!

• Psycho29 says:

It’s kind of like when the Montreal Star folded; and the Gazette had no English competition…

15. Bill says:

Looks like no playoffs this year: bummer. I’m hoping that at least they can get a top ten pick out of it.

If there’s another free-buyout period after the new CBA, whom would you get rid? Besides Gomez, obviously.

Personally I’d keep Gionta and Cammalleri: hard to replace goal-scorers. And I know they aren’t scoring a ton, but I don’t blame that on them …

Full Breezer 4 Life

16. jrshabs1 says:

Geoff Molson……..your team stinks!!! You are delusional if you think this bag of crap needs a few tweaks to be a contender. The sole reason your team isn’t 0-28 is because your goaltender comes to play. But alas, if you don’t mind running the laughing stock of the NHL then why should I who has no invested interest mind either.
    Geoff Molson……..it sucks to be a Hab fan! I will not spend anymore $$$ on your crappy team until you give me something cheer for.

Go Habs Go!!

17. bellcentre hotdog says:

Team meeting = finding out who they’re buying for at the Habs secret Santa party.

18. kempie says:

Gorges-PK
    Gill-Emelin
    Spacek-Campoli
    please

19. Gerry H says:

Very disappointing game last night. It was as though half the team was playing with a hangover or something. Not much jump at all. PK had a dreadful night. I lost count of the number of times he turned the puck over as a direct result of trying to get fancy instead of making the simple play. That a few of them occured when he was last man back only made it worse. He’ll learn (hopefully).

On the flipside, I think we now have a clear winner from the freshman class of Dmen. Emelin just keeps getting better and better. Skating with confidence, jumping up on rushes and hitting hard and often. Zone entry against the Habs has just gotten a lot more dangerous for opposing forwards. His mistakes are getting fewer and farther between, though handing the puck to Rick F. Nash when you’re last man back is way up there on the What Not To Do list. He and Campoli should share the sixth Dman spot once the gang’s all healthy.

20. nellis13 says:

I’m getting sick of losing to the worst teams in the league. It just seems like they come out flat when they think it’s going to be an easy game instead of saying “Let’s send these bit&ches back to the stone age!”

The good news is, if this team can squeak into the playoffs we probably wont see the Islanders, Anaheim or Columbus in the playoffs!

• CanadienBoy says:

We tied with Winnipeg 28pts and they playing better game by game

I am very happy for Winnipeg and the roll they seem to be on. Despite a roster depleted of “Superstars” they play a tough gritty hockey. Andrew Ladd seems like a real good leader and player I would love to have on our roster. They are missing their most talented dman as well.

21. mjames says:

This team is inept. It’s ineptitude is only surpassed by that of PG and BG. My omission of JM is not to be construed as an endorsement. It is just that he is not thee architect of this mess. BG and PG are responsible for this joke of a team.

It was disappointing to read about Molson’s endorsement of this gang of losers, including Gomez. I agree with some of the other posters, that this team is taking on the the Maple Leaf persona of yesteryears. Notice I said yesteryears since the Leafs are heading up and we are heading down and management seems to be perfectly content with this.

As much as we all might despise Burke he is doing a better job than PG.

mjames

22. PureGuava says:

They’ve been terrible since Laviolette “outted” them. I think it really embarrassed the players.

Guava, that is an interesting point. I would be curious what their record was prior to that and since that game. I am not sure it will correlate like you say, but I never considered the point you make.

23. Storm Man says:

This post is for G-Man who wants the differences on todays game from the game in the late 90′s school is in… Well for one buddy the trapping style of hockey came big into play in the late 90′s and for that type of hockey you need bigger players to make it work the team the Habs have right now and I have no cule why lord martin does not see this it does not work.. The best system to play and use for what this team has is the puck control system where players can use speed and skill to skate around the ice keeping the puck and passing it often and shooting just like Pittsburgh , Detroit, Vancouver, Boston ect ect does. In this puck control system no way does someone like Darche have a spot on the PP or on the team for this matter. Hope this helps you out G-Man.

24. PureGuava says:

Uggg….I may have to switch to Labatt’s.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
    - Robert Anton Wilson

25. naweed235 says:

I have a special request! As we have all seen in the last few weeks, Emelin’s physicality is one of the only refreshing and bright spots on this team. I would LOVE to see someone make a compilation video of Emilin’s crushers in a habs’ uni.
    So please, if somebody is familiar with making videos and can gather all of his hits somehow, DO IT!

26. Mattyleg says:

Mentioned this yesterday:
    Anybody seen or heard from JD_?

27. BeachHabFan says:

Emelin may not be 80% of chris pronger, but he’s lookin like 90% of Craig Ludwig so i’m pretty happy about it.

i hate blaming JM but if the the only guys who seemed motivated out there were gorges (as always), price, and emelin, that is to a large degree a coaching issue – if the coach can’t get them focused, or AT LEAST wake them up during intermission, there’s a problem. Between the jekyll-hyde interest in playing and questionable power play choices, JM is tiring me out. I’d love to know what ladoucer and cunneyworth are doing when JM is droning on, they were pretty fiery guys on the ice and i was hoping that attitude would rub off a little bit, but i bet JM’s smothering ‘system’ effect is two strong

28. shiram says:

Charline Sheen for Head Coach!!
    I heard he’s all about winning.

29. Habsssssssswin says:

Penguins
    Bruins
    Wings
    Flyers … all contenders… have one thing in common, and it’s not far better talent than us. It is management. G.M and coaches. That’s all.

• J_P says:

I agree about the bruins. Their overall talent when you look down their roster is a bit underwhelming, but man do they play well as a team.

The penguins have the best coach in the league, hands down. How they won so many games without their two best players is mind blowing.

30. ont fan says:

This team is no different than the past years. We won because of the power play. That’s the real problem.

31. Xsteve50 says:

Is todays team meeting over? Any idea what was discussed?

• habsnyc says:

they looked around the room and said who here has enough talent to step up and save the season. they nominated pleks, cammalleri and price, saying to them if you guys lead us we will follow.

32. J_P says:

One of the biggest reasons that Ive had a lot of complaints about this squad this year is because I had high hopes for them. Prior to the season, I thought the team looked great on paper. Unfortunately, our veterans are a few years older, and our young players, although promising, just aren’t ready to carry the load. What the habs are missing are players in their prime. Ive come to accept the fact that this is a bad team that has probably been playing above its capabilities over the last couple of seasons, and who’s shortcomings have been covered up by out of this world goaltending.

The month of december is going to go a long way in determining the fate of the habs this season, and probably beyond. If we have the typical december slide, the habs are toast, and than it becomes PG’s move. Does he go for the PG trademark “patch n’ bad-aid” or does he do the right thing, cut our losses, and try to build for the future? Im hoping it’s the latter. If PG goes for a quick fix and the habs miss the playoffs anyways, you have to believe that Molson is going to clean house at seasons end.

• habsnyc says:

i agree with your comments. i am curious why did you think the team looked good on paper prior to the season? at no point in the preseason did they have enough personnel to fill a roster.

• RGM says:

While the OP’s expectation of a “great” team on paper may have been high, there were a good number of reasons to be optimistic going into the season…
        Price was coming off a career year and looking to build on that.
        Markov, we were told, was healthy and ready to go.
        Cammalleri was pumped to have an improved season.
        A returning Max Pacioretty.
        There was no way Scott Gomez would be as bad as he was last year.
        Free agent signing Cole would give a real boost up front.

So far, only a couple of those things have turned out as one would have hoped.

———————–
        GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

• J_P says:

Well i agree that our roster was not world beating on paper, but I at least felt that they were a good “team” (chemistry, comraderie, etc…). A good “team” will always beat a “collection of good players” in my opinion, and I felt that if a lot of players built on their performances from last season, the habs would easily challenge for the division title.

• RGM says:

I absolutely shared in that assessment. I was hoping to see a lot of ongoing progression but unfortunately we’ve seen too many key guys regressing…one of which I didn’t even think was possible.

I think that catching up with the B’s is a write-off at this stage, and it’ll be another dogfight for a bottom 3 playoffs spot.

———————–
            GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

• J_P says:

Well first, I thought Markov was going to be back early in the season, not miss over half of it. I figured Cammy and Gionta would be just as good if not better than last season. I certainly didnt expect them to be worse. I felt that pacioretty would be great (which he has been), and cole would compliment the roster nicely. It looked like we had good depth through our forwards, and a good balance of youth and experience on defense. Of course, we have Carey Price. I had a pipe dream that gomez couldnt actually be worse than he was last season, and figured hed at least be on a 55 pts pace (no surprise here that I was totally wrong on that one). AK is in a contract year so I figured he would probably pick up the pace a little bit. I figured Eller would build on his strong finish to last season (up until now he hasn’t, but I blame the coach for misusing him).

There were certainly a lot of “ifs” coming into the season, but I never thought we would be THIS bad.

• habsnyc says:

it’s not really that bad. they can still make the playoffs. they mostly outscore the opposition.

i expected the team to finish with 86-93 points, make the playoffs and was open minded about them winning a round, depending on the match-up. Mostly I was hoping that Pax would get 30+ goals, Price would be a top three goalie and PK would play within himself. where i got worried was i never saw and actual 23 man roster that was deep on NHL talent. they never got enough healthy players on this roster to compete.

i thought that it would take at most 20 games to get players back from IR and trade for or sign the three or four players they needed to complete the roster. it looks like that will take 30-40 games, which makes all of us nervous about the playoffs.
          but i care more about the improvement of the young roster players than about the standings.

33. baruch says:

In the spirit of what Ian Cobb posted below, I think it is about time for a little courageous investigative journalism here at HIO. You guys, Kevin, Dave, Pat, Stu, Mike all have privileged access to the corridors of power.

Though the Habs secretiveness makes it a bit like industrial espionage, I would be so grateful for some more insight into the riddle of this year’s team. If I look back at last year, it was pretty similar, though, a lot of games really didn’t seem to matter to the players, and really, they didn’t. We got into the playoffs and then it was the ‘new season’ we almost broke through into the division finals.

This season it seems worse… maybe we will sneak into the playoffs again, but it is unbearable to watch my team play with such futility. Is it a plan to save energy for a late-season/playoffs drive? We have seen how dominance during the season does not necessarily lead to success in the playoffs “when it matters”.

The product on the ice right now is poor. Though it is not your job to ensure it isn’t. And I wouldn’t ask you to risk your jobs, but think of what Jessica Rusnak was able to accomplish with one good question. Maybe the trick is to snoop around and listen to what other teams are saying about us. Is everybody tuned in to JM’s ‘system’ and now knows how to beat it?

I agree with Ian, we have a potentially very competitive group, but something is preventing the gelling, the confidence. I guess you guys are as baffled and frustrated about it as we are… but you are the professionals, time for a scoop.

• Timo says:

Don’t count on it. Why rock the boat? Too comfy.

• habsnyc says:

it is not a secret. the big money on the team is going to players who are over thirty, past their prime or injured. the roster has 6-7 players who should still be in the AHL.
      they barely made the playoffs last year, lost more players than they added and are older.
      there is chemistry, it is mostly oxidization or rust.

34. Marcusman says:

This is what the Captain of our squad had to say about last night:

““We have to be better when it comes to our preparation,” added Gionta shifting his focus to the night’s events. “We absolutely didn’t show up ready for this game and it was obvious on the ice. Mentally we made too many mistakes, too many turnovers. It shouldn’t ever matter if we’re playing at home or on the road, we need to find a way to start stringing some wins together.”

ISN’T THE COACHES JOB TO PREPARE THE TEAM AND TO MOTIVATE THEM…….FIRE JAQUES MARTIN PLEASE….

35. Feraco says:

This team is full of long term contracts and is right against the cap. (with Markov) and have to sign Price, Pk, Kostitsyn, Eller and Pacs at some point in the next year or so.

This team is built to win now as they do not have youth leading the team, but vets on long term deals. Reminds me of the Leafs of the past…we all know how that ended up!

So where do we go? Were .500, a few points out…and without Carey were at the bottom of the league.

I personally like the team, the players, don’t like the style but what can you do. My fear is we lose AK, or Gorges or Eller in the future. Spach will be gone and can be replaced with Gorges…but what happens to Pk? Price? Eller and Pacs down the road? Long time away but it really seems like they have no idea.

• rdiddy says:

I know this has been discussed at length, but the only way to sign all the UFA and RFA’s this off-season is to get Gomez off the books. No team will take him without pawning off their own problem ( Although, maybe Buffalo would take a 7.5 mill salary for the next 2 years and unload Leino’s 6 year 4.5 mill per salary). And will Molson focused on profits I doubt they will be ok with burying him in the AHL.

Unless that happens I see no way that AK can be resigned. With Gill, Spatch, Moen, Darche, Campoli and AK gone it will free up about 13 mill.

I imagine the RFA and UFA salaries shaping up like this
      PK’s salary goes from 800k to 4.5
      Carey Price from 2.75 to 5.5
      JG from 2.5 to 3.5
      Eller from 1.27 to 2.5
      Emelin from 900 to 1.5
      Diaz from 800 to 1.5

So that’s in increase of about 11 million. Might work out but no room for AK to resign.

• Kooch7800 says:

Since we are speculating here are my thoughts:

If PK makes 4.5 million next year that will be an absolute joke. He has been terrible this year. He should get max 3 million. I don’t think he will get a long term deal. He will get a deal that will take him up to his last year of restricted free agency.

Eller should not be over 2 million. He will have under 30 points again. He should be making around 1 to 1.5 million .

I think Price may be around 6 mill per season cause he is this team. Cammy is making 6 million and CP is worth a lot more to the team than Cammy.

36. samTHEman says:

Was listening to “TSN” 990 earlier and McKenzie came out and straight-up said he thought the Lucic hit was worse than Tootoo’s. THANK YOU. I have the utmost respect for Bob McKenzie. He knows his stuff. Very rarely gets it wrong and glad he came out and said it.

• Xsteve50 says:

look for McKenzie to be out of work shortly…..but I agree with him and you..

• samTHEman says:

He works for TSN not NHL :P

TSN may sign his cheques, but the reason TSN employs him is because his head is lodged so deeply within the NHL head office that he gets information which TSN wants on their broadcast. The minute he starts moving his head around in there with that brush cut of his and cause discomfort for the NHL his gig is over.

You realize this is the same McKenzie who was fence sitting on whether or not Chara should get a suspension and pretty much ended his musings with agreeing it was a hockey play.

To me McKenzie goes with the wind. He sees now an opportunity to criticize the NHL since they themselves somewhat admitted they effed up the Lucic hit. But generally rule of thumb McKenzie is just a Marionette for the NHL.

• samTHEman says:

It’s a touchy situation. Chara hit is only perceived as black/white. Either you believed was a hockey play gone wrong, or it was an obvious intent to injure. The latter makes more sense. I still respect McKenzie. He’s one of the only guys in the media Dregger that I like.

I think he knows hockey, but I think he sold his soul is all. So many of the mainstream media are afraid to criticize anything this league does.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Anyone who is not completely dumb had to come to the conclusion that it was a deliberate attempt to injure. The problem is very few have the balls to say so and if they do, they unfortunately can´t prove it.

Personally I´ve never been a big fan of McKenzie but there are obvious worse people with similar jobs around.

• J_P says:

I think people just didnt want to believe that chara was capable seriously injuring a player intentionally. When you look at the rage in his face during previous run-ins with patches, there is no doubt in my mind that he intended to send pacioretty a serious message. I dont think chara expected to hurt him as bad as he did, but he definitely wanted to hurt him.

• J_P says:

If I was tootoo I would appeal. How the heck does lucic get zero and tootoo gets 2 games? Tootoo was at least charging the net full speed, and got crosschecked in the back into miller at the last second by erhoff. Lucic made ZERO effort to avoid miller, and there was no external forces pushing him into miller.

Shanahan is officially the biggest joke since…. well i guess colin campbell lol

• RGM says:

“Tootoo was at least charging the net full speed”

That’s actually the problem, according to the NHL. Remember, it wasn’t a goaltender interference penalty; he got 5 and a game for a major charging infraction.

———————–
        GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

• J_P says:

He had the puck though, he didnt just charge miller out of nowhere. Let’s change the word “charging” for the word “driving”. I meant to say he was driving to the net full speed. I dont even get why he got the penalty. Well I do, its because his name is jordan tootoo. Did he slow down? Not really, but he didnt really just flat out charge, and he got pushed from behind by erhoff on top of it.

• habstrinifan says:

He is RIGHT!

Funny how they play up to or down to the competition. It is called game preparation. Or lack there of.

• Mattyleg says:

I like the ‘wives’ theory, and can totally see it being a factor.

• shiram says:

Blame Pleky’s wife, the gall to have a kid during the season !

• Xsteve50 says:

ok I have to bite…what is the wife theory

• shiram says:

Players get home from a road trip, they go home and they have alot to catch up on, look after the kids, fix the sink etc.. so their minds are not focused on hockey.

Maybe Markov sometime?

Why are plumbers so fricking expensivein Montreal that Pro Hockey players in that city have to fix their own sinks. I think we may have found the krux of the issue here Shiram.

• Ian Cobb says:

Great line Gerald. ha

• shiram says:

I think the issue is that hockey players don’t want to have a plumber come and ask their lovely wives if they need help to fix their pipes!

• Mattyleg says:

“But the toilet’s overflowing..”
            “I’LL FIX THE GODDAMN TOILET!! Don’t you DARE call a plumber!! I’ll be back from Phoenix in a week.”
            “But it smells…”
            “YOU’RE gonna smell!!”
            “..whhaaa..?”

• Ian Cobb says:

They have to get the boys back to the wives a little earlier from road trips is all. It takes the boys a long time to shoot, if you haven’t noticed.

• RGM says:

I think it’s patently absurd to even consider as plausible the idea that the wives bear even an iota of responsibility. But that’s just my own damned opinion.

———————–
        GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

38. habs03 says:

I don’t think people forget that PG didn’t hire JM, Gainey did. Ever GM has gets a chance to hire his own coach before an owner even think of firing them. And most smart GM wait until the offseason to hire their coach.

Also I don’t know about you guys but IMO PG has done a very decent job as GM, people don’t like him but the moves he has made were very good.

Halak for Eller, having the guts to keep Price and trade Halak should give him a pass IMO.

Wiz for a 2nd, Wiz played 43 games for the Habs, considering what other D-men went for , Mccabe went for a 3rd and the Rangers had him for like 20 games, Kaberle was traded for a 1st,2nd and a former 1st round pick prospect.

O’Bryne a 5-6th D-men for a 3rd round Prospect Bournival (proving to better than his draft spot)

The only “bad” trades he has made were ones he had his hands forced on. S.Kost, guy was a locker room cancer in MTL. And Dags for Pulashaj, which at the time was good I couldn’t believe we could get anything for Dags, who was about to be sent down.

To add, he seems to have fixed the size issue in the team. No one on the bottom 6 size is less than 6’0, signed Cole, brought in Emelin, drafted Tinordi…

Also that seems to be forgotten is he changed the scouting staff.
    He added Jankowski from the Islanders who is responsible for most of the Islanders young core.

• Xsteve50 says:

so if he is doing a good job why is he not makeing a move with the coach?

• habsnyc says:

PG has provided bandaids not solutions. Halak, Wiz, O’Byrne did not change the face of this team. Halak had to be traded, there was no money to pay him and he was not a first round pick.

Dags and Kostitsyn were mistakes. But they can be blamed on the shortcomings of the organization for not being able to work with their young players. Kostitsyn, Grabovski and everyone who worked themselves out of Montreal did it to get a secure contract elsewhere for more money with better playing time. These young players had self confidence and the brains to know that their careers would be wasted in Montreal, so they got to where they could be impact players. PG has to fix that organizational shortcoming.

Cole was a bad contract. Four years is one too many. He will hurt this team in the long run.

Not having enough defensemen to start the season may have cost Montreal a playoff spot. 100% of that is PG who let half his defensemen leave in the offseason and failed to replace them with NHL talent. PG also lost significant coaching talent from within the organization.

• J_P says:

Although PG has made some good patch and band-aid moves, he hasnt exactly done a lot to help us in the future. Sure he traded halak for lars eller, but now we have to sit and watch a promising talent like eller be wasted game in and game out. Eller should have never made the habs roster if he was going to be used in the way he is currently being used. Just like Leblanc. Pretty ridiculous to call up a player that you hope to be a good offensive player in the future, and let him play 5 minutes on the 4th line.

Pacioretty said it best last season when he said he would rather play top-6 minutes in hamilton over bottom 6 minutes in montreal. He also put his money where his mouth is when he got called up. Amazing that a young player like pacioretty has to give the organization lessons on how to properly develop talent.

• habsnyc says:

the young players like pax dags sk grabs regularly prove management wrong.

what do they see in guys like pyatt, pouilliot and eller that they trade for them and play them ahead of the players that the organization drafts and develops?

39. shiram says:

Gary Bettman on fighting : “Maybe fights are dangerous, maybe not. How can you know? No one can prove it. The sample of brains is not large enough.”

Nice attitude Gary.
    it’s in french.

• Mattyleg says:

Haaaahahahaha!!
      “The sample of brains is not large enough!”
      Igor, go for brains!
      He sounds like a Creationist.
      “Maybe the Earth was created in 7 days, maybe not. Nobody knows. Nobody can prove it. Ever.”
      Uhh… yes they can, and they have. Please look at this evide…
      “No.”

Ah.

• shiram says:

So more enforcers should have NHL carreers based on their fisticuffs skills, then when they die we can examine their brain and determine if fighting is an issue.
        Total logic.

• Mattyleg says:

I think we should examine Bettman’s brain after he dies (IF he dies) to get a better understanding of the effects on the human brain of being a total douche one’s entire life.

• Higman says:

Naturalists are equally as funny.

“The earth is billions of years old and started with a big bang.”
        “How do you know this?”
        “All the current evidence proves it!”
        “What if new evidence arise?”
        “We’ll consider it and then adjust the theory.”
        “Until then?”
        “We’ll keep railing on that we right and everyone else is wrong.”

Just sayin’ everyone likes to talk like a “know it all” but who really knows?
        ———————
        When the tough gets going, the laughs start flowing. Like Price said, “Chill.”

• Ian Cobb says:

Someone should cold cock Bettman, just to test his theory!

• habsnyc says:

Ian, if you are against fighitng, only sell tickets to the HIO summit to fans who agree to boo endlessly whenever there is a fight. NHL won’t change until the fans are against fighting. Fans are paying to see this.

When the first group of fans boo’s fighting, we might see change.

• arcosenate says:

Bettman said, “We can’t tell who’s affected by this diease, maybe we need to look at more brains, what if we looked at my brain?”

Maybe we should Gary, maybe we should.

• habsnyc says:

“Do you know everything that went on in their lives?” Bettman responded. “Were there other things going on that could also cause CTE? And until you understand that what exactly causes CTE, it’s speculation as to one or two elements in each case that were in common. The data is not sufficient to draw a conclusion, and our experts tell us the same thing.”

that is what he actually said.

• shiram says:

Fair enough, but he also said what I posted up there too.

• habsnyc says:

That is a poorly worded translation. The experts tell Bettman they cannot reach a conclusion. We can probably agree that blows to the head are a contributing factor to CTE. But to stop CTE, we have know scientifically what is causing it. Abusing painkillers may not be good for CTE either.

I wonder how Shanahan feels now about his 97 career fights. He was a hall of famer without them.

40. Newf_Habster says:

Fire Pierre Gauthier and Jacques Martin!
    Fire Pierre Gauthier and Jacques Martin!
    Fire Pierre Gauthier and Jacques Martin!
    Fire Pierre Gauthier and Jacques Martin!
    Fire Pierre Gauthier and Jacques Martin!

41. Cam_1 says:

I always had some sort of hope. I always thought even though way over due. It’s just a matter of time before JM or PG or both go…but now after reading that article on Molson’s vote of confidence for these two idiots and Gomez too, it is my worst nightmare come true…the team is soft from bottom to top. Molson is soft…long as the money comes in he does not have a care in the world. He will not do anything unless the fans boycott Bell Centre games, and that will never happen cuz the fans love the Habs unconditionally, which is not a bad thing. ..but it just sucks that, Molson is taking advantage of that loyalty !!!! I am just about ready to give up on this team, for this year anyway.

That fan who opened his window with a suggestion to Geoff is correct. “Fix your team!!!!!”

• Old Bald Bird says:

I can’t find the piece where the first thing I read was a disclaimer to the effect that, “As long as PG is happy, I’m okay with it.” If that quote was correct, then you can take it to mean that “when PG ain’t happy, I won’t be either.” So, maybe if PG decides he’s had enough with Gomez and/or JM, Molson will be on board? If so, come on Gauthier!!

42. Mattyleg says:

The thing I don’t mind about losing is that it forces you to be philosophical.

Just a note for everyone: YOU didn’t lose last night. The team did. Don’t forget that.

43. Xsteve50 says:

Patrick Roy`s Ramparts play Sunday out of town then they are home for a week, with 5 days off. Perfect timing for Roy to make the switch. We play the Islanders on Tuesday. A nice first game don`t you think……..

• G-Man says:

Harharhar- you avatar chimp would make a better head coach.

• Mattyleg says:

What on God’s green Earth makes you think that Roy would be an acceptable NHL coach?
      How’s his record at the level he’s at right now?
      How’s his relationship with the Canadiens organization that he walked away from?

He’s a nutcase. I just don’t understand why you think he’d be any better at getting the current team to do better.

• Xsteve50 says:

You have to remember Jr is a developement league. His job is to teach the game to 16 yr olds…Look at the NHLer`s that have come out of his years with Quebec. I think he would have the respect of the team. He would be open, to a fault, with the press and he has taken his team to the finals. What else can you ask at that level. Give the guy a chance to take it to the next level, He cannot be worse that what we have now

• Mattyleg says:

Yes, he really, really can.
          His egotism is unparallelled.
          He’d make Brian Burke look like Modesty itself.
          I just don’t see it happening ever. Which I think is a good thing.
          There are plenty of other options that would do far less damage to the team.
          Let Roy prove himself in the AHL first… which I don’t see happening.

• Mattyleg says:

Hahahaha!!
        Now he’s here!
        “You think like a loser, see?”
        Anybody else hear Al Capone in there?
        “Nyaaahhh, you’re a real maroon, see?”
        This is too much fun.
        You guys have gotta try this ride!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Some interesting quotes from some players as they were interviewed with the recent Boogard information in mind.

Gorges had an encounter with him as a 16 yr. old.

45. Marcusman says:

Not to change the subject of just how poorly we played last night and or completely lack of offense or even creativity in creating offense….BUT DID YOU SEE EMELIN (THE RUSSIAN TANK) level a few more forwards….when was the last time we had someone who could hit like that..now all we need is 6 or 7 forwards who can score and 2-3 more dmen, and maybe a coach who can make this all come together.

• shiram says:

So we need a new team and coaching staff, all centered around Emelin? Cool.

• TomNickle says:

This team has forwards who can score. They have adequate but not great defense. And they have a great goalie.

• Mattyleg says:

Emelin is awesome.
      He’s got his mojo working, and all his hits are clean. His timing is excellent, and as Marc Denis said last night, the opposition is going to think twice about cutting across the blue-line when Emelin’s on.
      We haven’t had a defenceman that can hit like that in a loooong time.
      It’s pretty freakin’ great.
      Gimme some more body-checkers like that, and you can stuff your ‘enforcers’ where the sun don’t shine.

• Xsteve50 says:

Personally I like our D…PK and Emelin are our future..Diaz and Georges will make great 4-6 D. I can live with Weber as a offensive specialist, that is 5 of our 7 for the long term. If our wounded can ever get back we will be ok. The problem is there are not there NOW and we need a short term solution.

• Marcusman says:

I was being cheaky…Price is one of the best goalies in the league. The forwards are fine…they don’t seem to show up on the same night though….our Power play is more than horrid…if i was the coach I’d go with a completely different make up starting this morning. I’d go wtih Ak46 -DD and Cole.. with PK and Diaz till campolli and markov are back.

I have not missed to many Hab games as I follow my sport and favorite team these past 6o years. I have seen the very best of talent, coaching, team play and execution of how this game is to be played to win cups. I have also seen and lived the half baked years of putting poor products on the ice, behind the bench and in the GM office.

This team game played to win, must have total understanding, same page mentality, cohesiveness and brotherly chemistry, from the GM’s office all the way through the club to the water boy if we are going to take everything in stride that is thrown at us over the course of a grueling NHL scheduled.

There will always be injuries and set backs throughout the year, even for the best of teams. But an organization well oiled and totally dedicated to the goal at hand, will find ways to win, back up and play for their team mates with heart, confidence and determination.

Over this year, I can honestly say that as of yet I have not seen any of the above for more than a few minutes a game. Given that I feel we have the talent to be a very professional and competitive NHL club this year, we are showing that we are not an organization that is in the same book, let alone on the same page.

This game is 50% mental and confidence, 50% dedication, execution and desire. Not only by the players, but by the coaches and management as well.

I am at a loss this year to understand what is completely wrong with the attitude and focus of the whole organization. Very little emotion and pride from top to bottom. I am so very disappointed.

There is a blockage somewhere in the organization
    And for certain, if we do not find it and cut it out, they will never play at the level that we as fans expect.

They probably already know what has to be done to move forward, and management is slowly implementing a plan with a longer view, but by looking at the product now, it sure sounds and looks like they don’t have a clue.

I will continue to watch each and every game as we grow our way to the top, because the biggest thrill about us winning the cup, is in the watching of how we get there!

Hab for life, IAN

47. Xsteve50 says:

Here`s a thought. Andre Markov for coach…..

• CanadienBoy says:

we will be hard press to find a good GM that’s good,the good are already in office, Carriere could be interesting and for coach the best one available is Carlyle and them Nolan and Robinson is not head coach material but could be a good Ass..to Carlyle

48. WindsorHab-10 says:

Reading Red Fisher’s column about last night’s game left me with the conclusion that if the team is not ready to play, and they were not last night, then get rid of the coach because he’s clueless & the team is not responding to him.

Worst home record in the NHL. Do the f…ing Molsons even care?

“Hate Bruins like a sickness”

49. Lafrich says:

I don’t think Martin has lost the room – I think he has just lost his mind.

In reality, I think he just does not seem to have the ability to use his players properly.

50. shiram says:

Gonna be one of those days on HIO…

• ManApart says:

As it should be

• shiram says:

Of course you’d say that.

• ManApart says:

I care about winning, you don’t I guess. That’s why you’ve been hiding your head in the sand for years, while I have been trying to warn everyone that this team was in trouble with the current situation for almost 3 years.

• shiram says:

So what, do you want a medal?
            And nice speculation there.

• Mattyleg says:

“I have been trying to warn everyone!”
            Hahahahahaha!!!
            Claaaaaassic!!
            “For three years”!!!
            Oh man, that is priceless.
            Best laugh I’ve had in a while.
            Whoo!
            (wipes tear from eye)
            …trying to warn everyone…

• Mattyleg says:

Well we lost.
      Everything’s sh!t.
      Everyone needs to be fired or shot.
      Or both.
      Each individual player sucks, as does the system, and the management.
      Including the PR team, HR, and players on the IR.
      Injured players need to be put out of their misery and sent to Chibougamou.
      The Bell Centre ice needs to be removed and replaced with high-quality German ice, not this cut-rate Quebec crap.
      RDS should be taken off the air and replaced by Reseau Pierre McGuire, who really knows his hockey and has contacts all over the league.
      The team should be sold to Brock Lesnar, who could beat the other owners around the head and neck with Gary Bettman as a club in order to get what he wants.

Only then will we win a Stanley Cup, and will my life finally be complete.

• shiram says:

You forgot the beer, it’s pretty awful too.

• Mattyleg says:

The Molson products should be removed by toxic waste removal specialists in biohazard bins, and replaced with Carlsberg, whose pedigree and pursuit of excellence will inspire future Canadiens players, none of whom currently play on the team, as they will have been replaced (because they suck) with Japanese robots who will be programmed to only speak French.

• Old Bald Bird says:

It’s not so much the losing but how you lose.

• Chrisadiens says:

Im glad im off to work a double shift.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

51. “In golf, they say the good players string the birdies….

Cammy already thinking about golf? that can’t be good.

52. habs03 says:

People need to start naming solutions for the problems..Fire PG, Fire JM, and hire who?

Remember that next Scott Bowman (Guy Boucher) we let get away. He got one of the most talented team in the league hit seat at the bottom on the conference. Before you blame Rolson/Garon

Stamkos,St Louis,Vinny,Hedman>Price,Subban,Pac….

• TomNickle says:

Larry Carriere could take over GM duties in the interim(did a nice job in Buffalo’s personnel department).

Larry Robinson could coach this team and that would be fine with me.

Or how about Gerard Gallant?

• Storm Man says:

What is with this man crush you have for Larry?? you think his style of coaching is run and gun? more like zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

• habs03 says:

Good options, sadly I gotta ask, does Robinson speak French?

As for Larry Carriere, decent interim, but again who is the final replacement, PG hired Carriere, so if he you keep, you might as well keep PG.

• TomNickle says:

I don’t believe he does. Probably enough to get by in his personal life though.

As for Carriere. Buffalo added a lot of talent under his watch, I wouldn’t be so sure about him being a Gauthier clone.

• habs03 says:

Very true, he did a good job with the Caps as well. But in that case, IMO PG done a decent job as GM, and with Carrierre as Ast GM, no need for change unless your making a full management change, scouting, ect, which we don’t need.

• G-Man says:

Robinson can not be a head coach in the NHL. Defense coach, sure.

• Xsteve50 says:

Ok, I agree we should not have let Boucher or Muller get away….but we did. So, what about Pierre McGuire for GM or even Blair MacKasey. Coaches are out there as well. Patrick Roy being my first choice, but also Bob Hartley, Paul Maurice, Ted Nolan.

53. Old Bald Bird says:

My theory for the little it is worth is that this team does not have fun playing. It’s work. Boys (of any age) have to have fun, and they are not having fun playing for JM and his system. They have pride and, therefore, usually get themselves up for the big teams but since it’s just work against the ordinary teams, they almost always come out flat. It’s because there’s nothing about the JM system that is inspiring and fun. There’s simply no joy to be had in playing this system for this man and the weird way in which he uses his personnel.

54. joshua94k says:

If you want to look at the glass half full:

The Canadiens clutched and gnawed for points in 4 of the past 5 games.

They are one point out of a play-off spot.

They have played without over $15 million in salary cap this season

Unlike Tampa Bay with a seasoned coach, snipers, and talented players, they seldom lose 5-1 and are not 5 points out of a play-off spot.

• ManApart says:

Half full? That’s the worst half full I’ve ever seen. Do you know who Montreal’s last 5 opponents were? One point out of playoff spot is half full? Are you sure you’re not a Panther fan? Don’t tell me you’re using Gomez’s salary in this ridiculous statement. So because Tampa Bay is playing absolutely horrible and the Habs are better than at least one team right now, that’s something to be happy about?

Try again Josh, You fail.

55. Xsteve50 says:

As an avid Habs and Hockey fan I too am beginning to loose interest. I didn`t even object to switching off the game to pick up my daughter at the arena, (she is the time keeper). Gladly switching Pro Hockey to a fun and exciting PeeWee BB game. It is obvious to anyone that has ever coached that Martin has lost the team. He was and perhaps will be again a good coach, just not now or here in Montreal. Cut him loose, find a `player`s coach`if even for the short run, but for heavens sake do SOMETHING.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I gave up during the Philly game. Now, if only I could tear myself away from this site …

• Kooch7800 says:

I am with you. Mine was after the ducks game. Since then I will watch a few minutes for fast forward on my PVR to the goals. I am going to start watching after Christmas. Until then I am taking a stress leave from it. You should enjoy watching the hockey and right now it is more frustrating than fun.

56. ManApart says:

If Geoff Molson wants to support the dumbo twins then he deserves to lose the season

• Storm Man says:

For the first time in my life Im on the same page as you… The world is coming to a end lol

• kempie says:

I just went outside to put the garbage out and, as I was walking bact to the house, something hit me in the back of the neck. I looked around and found nothing. All I can say is that I’m pretty sure it was a part of the sky and I bet there will be more and more of this falling debris as the day goes on. Keep your heads up folks.

• ManApart says:

I’ve been on this page for over 2 years. Everybody else is just starting to see what I knew was probably going to happen.

57. Lafrich says:

For the first time in my hockey-watching life, I am actually seeing a coach that has NO CLUE how to manage his team. Usually firing the coach is a tactic necessary when a team is floundering for no reason, and when they are sent packing I never have really felt that they deserve it. In this scenario, Martin is TRULY misusing his players, and we need someone with some vision.

• nunacanadien says:

Problem is Geoff Molson in supporting Gomez has basically torpedoed this team’s playoff hopes this year. Geoff Molson sent a message to this hard working habs that mediocrity, cowardice, conjobs and bs-ing is ok and that you don’t need to score goals or even make assists as long as you are Scott Gomez, paid the most on the team and show nothing for it.

58. TomNickle says:

Jacques Martin will survive the season. The injuries alone will buy him the full 82 games schedule.

My opinion that Martin should now be let go is not related to wins and losses. I’m tired of seeing Darche on Powerplays, Weber on penalty kills and playing forward.

The inevitable will happen. The team will get healthy for around 20 games and surge with a nice winning streak. They’ll squeak into the playoffs, give somebody a scare or pull off an upset and then wear down because they block a ridiculous amount of shots.

One thing I want to mention about Martin. This team is too regimented as well. Yannick Weber, coming into the offensive zone high last night, bailed out and went for a line change after being called to the bench. The result was a pass from Cole I believe, that went straight to a BlueJacket for an odd man rush because of the bad timing of the line change.

The bench micro-manages the game. Far too much.

• ManApart says:

I don’t ever want to see Martin out the door, without his incompetent buddies Gainey and Gauthier. It would be totally pointless. Another band aid that will waste 2 or 3 more years.

• TomNickle says:

Gauthier has done some nice things I think. But I know how you feel about the moves he’s made so we don’t need to get into all of that.

• nunacanadien says:

You can add Geoff Molson to the incompetent group.

• ManApart says:

The problem with Gauthier is he’s not really done anything. The Cole deal is pretty OK. Wiz was a great pick up, last year. All his little trades were garbage, but weren’t team killers. Let some good depth guys like Moore, Halpern and Auld walk for worse alternatives.

Gauthier’s main problem is he is incredibly slow at recognizing problems and is too scared to make a move. He has no sense on how to evaluate a team or individual talent. this is a guy who will never lead a team to anything but status quo.

You have to be bold in a league so filled with parity. Just like a Brian Burke. Look at Tallon in Florida. That guy made some ballsy moves. It’s paying off in just one year. Gainey and Gauthier are on year 8

• TomNickle says:

Your second paragraph is unbelievably speculative. You have no idea how long it takes him to acknowledge holes in the roster

I’ll reserve judgement on Tallon and Burke. Leafs still don’t have any goaltending and the Panthers are a make shift roster in a weak division. We’ll see how that plays out in April.

• ManApart says:

My 2nd paragraph is speculative? Bro, after being shut out 3 times and bounced around vs the Flyers 2 years ago, it was painfully obvious the Canadiens needed some size and punch up front. What did he do? Absolutely nothing. Same problem occured last season, what did he do? OK, he got Cole, but that’s the only thing he’s done in 2 years to address the Habs worst problems. If that isn’t slow to recognize and react, then I don’t know what is.

• habs03 says:

I agree with some of the things you say, but its hard to question the PK when its one of the top in the league. And Darche hasn’t not been on the PP expect for a few times early in the season when the PP was sucking and he was tired because he did a good job last year on the PP.

59. harrow15 says:

I guess when the Bell Centre is no longer sellout crowd and struggle to maintain half full capacity at home games, will Pierre Gauthier be forced to do something.

60. crazyhabsfan says:

We need to start a fire Martin petition here on the site:

1. Chris McGraw, Halifax NS.

61. Habziefan09 says:

That Geoff Molson article looks like nothing more than old news.. after a skim over each paragraph, the quotes referred to seem that he is discussing events prior to this season. With Jacques Martin, Firemartin, FireGauthier or anything in relation to it (not including most recently boycottmolson) trending now for weeks on twitter and those same sentiments in blogs and other social medias, Mr Gagnon’s article appears to be nothing more than a spin piece.

Come on Montreal Media, How stupid do you really think we are? Do you not hear us boo this team when they can’t even ice a 1/2 decent PP line? Do you think we are that blind when we see the decline of this team due to a lack of an identity?

For the first month an a half of the season, I wondered why Red Fisher was digging deep into the past of this team instead of writing about the now… And now it has become blatantly obvious why. There is nothing good we can say about this team on a consistent basis.

We never know what team we are going to get from 1 game to the next.. We think we are going to get killed 1 game and we show up and play. Then we face teams like the Islanders and Blue Jackets who are statistically worse on paper and in the standings then us and we look like a timbit squad barely capable of lacing our skates.

Are there players at fault? Yeah sure.. Darche has hands of stone, Diaz is making great impersonations of a pylon and we all know how Gomez is doing. Though you cannot put all the blame on them. The only way you can get these 3 PLUS the rest of the team to show up on a consistent basis is to have someone who knows just how to motivate them.

The fans can see it.. The Media outside of Montreal can see it… Why is it I get the feeling that the Montreal Sports media reminds me of a certain Iraqi General who was famous for saying “nothing to see here” while you could see American tanks out his window?

____________________________________________________________
    Twitter: Habziefan09

Confucius says: “Baseball has it all wrong, Man with 4 balls cannot walk!”

62. habsguy says:

who would like to have someone like Mark Messier captain this team !!!!!

63. Clay says:

Lost to Columbus…yay. What a great team.

__________________________
    “Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.” – Jean Beliveau.

• kempie says:

The rivalry lives on.

• nunacanadien says:

More like Pierre Gauthier’s cheapskate attitude lives on, and Geoff Molson’s worship of hockey players who are shorter than he is….lives on you mean. Meanwhile while Montreal Bell Centre burns Jacques Martin has the squads practicing their five man defensive formation just like some Mighty Disney Ducks movie!

64. Cookies says:

With the way things are going, I think we should kindly refuse any Powerplay that is awarded to our team. It seems to do more harm than good; our SHG against, momentum deflating attempts to bring the puck up, crowd at home doesn’t like it, once the PP ends we seem out of place…

I do believe this team is good, it has proven it numerous times. It’s just that there is a whole shirt of wrinkles to iron out.

65. Bim says:

No plan-No guts-No win! JM has clearly lost this team. They looked disinterested and simply awful and how about PK last night? Seemed like everytime I turned around he was giving away the puck to the other team. I think he needs a little time in the press box again and that doesn’t bode well for a defence (if you want to call it that?)that’s struggling. I would be absolutely shocked if there isn’t a management and/or coaching change in the offing….shocked! If that doesn’t happen then I’ll be finding another form of entertainment for the winter to keep me warm. These aren’t the Montreal Canadiens that I grew up with and have followed the past 53 years.

66. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

One thing I’m really happy about is that the organization let Guy Boucher leave and coach elsewhere, he’s obviously having a tough time plying his trade at this level, what with all the talent he has, you would think he’d have the Lightning ahead of our “lowly” Habs. This way, in a couple of years, if he’s proven himself, the Canadiens can entertain the thought of bringing him back.

67. harrow15 says:

PIERRE GAUTHIER MAKE A TRADE ALREADY!

Firing Perry Pearn was the 1st step to wake the team up, making a big trade is the 2nd…

68. pH-Habs says:

How come I can’t see my comments?

69. pH-Habs says:

Credit of our team’s form goes to Mr. JM. I’m seeing a team that’s lost. Of course they play well against quality opponents, wouldn’t you? Even if you hated the coach?

Rivalries go beyond that. But when you can only manage 4 shots in nearly 30min against another team that can barely do the same thing?

Playing a young homeboy for under 5min in his debut? When you’re only 1 down at home?

And letting Cammy already think about golf? His mind should be wrapped in hockey and child, with an occasional side of wife. No room for golf! It’s barely December.

I get trying to be passive in the playoffs, at least where media is concerned. Montreal is a volatile city, and needs no catalyst for destruction. But does the entire management need to be on Valium? Really?

70. CanadienBoy says:

Vancouver s hot right now so the Devil and than Philly if they loose all 3 do we get a new GM because a new GM should be hiring the next coach and make the proper trades and contracts ,Weber who started good falling apart ,AK and Georges should get extension now not at the end of season and Yamalin and Diaz think only have 1 year deal, any how Gauthier’s missing some mojo

As long as the day doesn’t involve any trades to try and save Gauthier’s hide.

This season is a write off. Markov will not save this sinking ship.

Habs fans prepare for 2 and a half more years of suck.

Bring on 2015.

• CanadienBoy says:

Agree replace Gauthier first something we should have done with Gaineys as well ,look how fast Tallon turn Florida around, signed 10 free agents in the first 2 day of free agent

72. Storm Man says:

Team meeting lmao what for? Lord Martin needs to be fired bottom line. 20 shots on goal lol too funny he still coaches like the late 90′s his ship has sailed.

73. shiram says:

Tiger blood!

74. Everlasting1 says:

Here’s your cookie (.::)

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

75. hansolo says:

HH, I’m not entirely getting the new avatar. The significance of the tank isn’t lost on me but is the tank a reflection of the blue Lego piece? Is the Lego symbolic of Lars Eller? If the tank is indeed a reflection, shouldn’t it be actually part of the main piece, seeing that tanking to get high draft picks (which I don’t disagree with at all) is something you feel strongly about? And, finally, why blue for the Lego piece and not red, white and blue?

My friends tell me I usually overthink things. You are free to do the same if that’s the case.

76. G-Man says:

You deriving satisfaction from the Habs’ struggles? IF you feel you’re wasting your time watching them, what are you winning? A few points on a web page? Big Whoop.

77. GrimJim says:

The tank morphs into building blocks…

78. hansolo says:

Ah, I get it now. Pretty clever. Thanks for the explanation.

79. athanor says:

Actually, to me, the tank looks kind of like an artillery piece. And if you rotate it to the right, it looks like a seahorse wearing body armour.

80. punkster says:

You’re still a poopoo head.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

81. hansolo says:

I don’t disagree. The thing is, Edmonton is a young, skilled, fast team — a product of tanking. They’re exciting to watch but are they assured of anything? That’s the unknown and that’s my fear about tanking — what assurances do we have that we won’t end up only marginally better than we are now?

82. GrimJim says:

There is no assurance. It’s a risk. Look at the islanders or columbus. Florida had 10 years of suckitude and now most of their success this season is on the back of free agents like Fleischmann, Versteeg, Upshall, Campbell. Colorado was 43-30-9 in 2009-10 with the kids and 30-44-8 last year, this season they are 13-14-1. How many years were Pittsburgh, Chicago and Washington bad before they struck draft gold?
    And if the Habs fans are in such uproar and revolt over an 11-11-6 team, how will they react to two or three years of a winning percentage of 0.400? Cause if you trade the assets this year for draft picks, remember that those draft picks won’t step in right away next year (unless they are in the top five), and even then they will need two to four years of seasoning before they reach a level of contribution that is equivalent to the assets traded now. It took five years of top-5 picks before Pittsburgh were in the Cup finals. Are the ManAparts, LA Loyalists, The Dudes, etc really ready to let this team go through that?

83. Danno says:

NHL ref Mike Leggo casts a similar shadow, oddly enough.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”