Corbin signs with Bulldogs

Bulldogs logo

Antoine Corbin has signed a one-year AHL contract with the Hamilton  Bulldogs. The announcement came five hours after the team announced that the 6-foot-2, 205-pound defenceman would return to his junior team in Price Albert. The Granby native, who moved west at age 13 to improve his English, attended the Bulldogs camp on a tryout.

Three other players _ defencemen Etienne Boutet and Kevin Gagne and forward Stephen MacAulay were returned to their junior clubs Wednesday as the Hamilton Bulldogs trimmed their roster to 25 players.

Boutet will return to the Rimouski Oceanic of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League while Gagne and MacAulay will rejoin the Saint John Sea Dogs of the QMJHL.

The cuts leave the Bulldogs with seven defencemen, 15 forwards and three goaltenders.

1. punkster says:

This whole discussion about the “H”…as someone pointed out earlier if you want the facts and all the background go ask Robert L.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

2. Rad says:

I like this signing. Corbin is a big, strong d-man from the rough and tumble Western Hockey League. With Corbin now joining Pateryn and Tinordi in Hamilton, I am feeling more upbeat about the lack of size on the Montreal blue line. Pateryn especially, has been impressive in training camp with the way he takes the body. I say he ends up in Montreal sooner than later. And when that happens, we will finally have our pay-off for the Grabovski trade.

The Corbin signing shows that the revamped Montreal scouting staff is already paying dividends. Corbin no doubt was scouted by the team’s two Western scouts, then invited for a tryout. And all the Montreal brass watched him in training camp in Hamilton before Bergevin went ahead and signed the kid. This is how you build a winning hockey team — piece by piece.

3. habsolutely416 says:

anyone know where i can watch AHL, KHL, etc online? thanks.

ill be in the slot ;)

4. jols101 says:

@teliopost.com,

That picture of AK on your website is frickin hilarious. Just shows what his biggest problem was – late nights and heavy drinking. The red nose and dark bags below the eyes says it all.

• SnowManHabs85 says:

Looks like a freaking zombie. 5 Goals 1 assist in 9 games with his new team. Its not bad..

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

5. mark-ID says:

While the lockout is on….it would be awsome if the hockey inside/out logo had a slash through hockey and said Bulldogs inside out. Kinda like what Boston pizza did in both Montreal and Vancouver during the playoffs while each city played the Bruins.

Obviously hockey represents all of it, but would just be fun to show support for the one pro team still playing we can support.

Do it Inside/Out.

6. jols101 says:

Questions- So what happens to the Bulldogs IF there is an agreement and the NHL season starts? Do all the prospects like Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis, Gallagher, LL, and the rest join the NHL shortened training camp? Would that not leave the Bulldogs crippled for at least a couple of weeks? Just wondering….

7. Mavid says:

what is with the word fat being underlined..and then shows you how to reduce belly fat..I did not do that..

8. Mavid says:

Ottawa is getting a CFL franchise…again..2014…thats all I have for now..tomorow would have been the beginning of hockey..but we have nothing..nadda..big fat zip…its shitty

9. Bripro says:

Heavy Metal vs. Hard Rock
    Bell vs. Videotron
    Habitant vs. Hockey

Good news! Gary Carter….good for him.
    I loved the guy.

Now who’s got hockey news? ….. of any sort?

(Heavy Sigh)

*********************************************
    “I’m here to tell you: Gary Bettman hasn’t felt this alive since he killed Harry Potter’s parents.”

• shiram says:

At the end of the day, if it enhances your experience to place a band in one genre, go for it.
      I for one enjoy both the heaviest of metal and hardest of rock and roll.

• Bripro says:

I don’t know if you’ve seen them, but I’ve been posting my version of “hockey frustration songs”, and most are accompanied with my style of music. I’d call it mostly old time rock and roll.
        If Deep Purple, Zeppelin or others are still considered Heavy Metal, then I guess I’m on the bandwagon also.

*********************************************

10. Ron says:

Dreger just twetted that the Alberta Labor Board just sided with the NHL. He awaits confirmation.

11. Mavid says:

TVA HD channel 1804 on my Bell dish

12. Hotsauce says:

re L Elle and Sean Bon Jovi, that is not metal, metal is Iron Maiden, Judas Preist, and Black Sabbath. Hair Metal is not real heavy metal.

ps. thoose are both good songs, but Whitesnake were much better in the late 70’s and early 80’s with songs like this

and this

13. commandant says:

Antoine Corbin was not cut. Signs a one year deal with the Bulldogs (AHL contract) per Renaud Lavoie.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

Yeah and who the f*** are the remaining players? I see amateur night is still in effect here.

15. shiram says:

Gary Carter gets a street and a stadium named after him.
    The portion of Faillon street bordering on the Parc Jarry will be renamed, as well as a stadium in Ahuntsic.

16. Mattyleg says:

Thanks for the post below, Commandant, but ugh, what’s this tripe that Habitants comes from the idea that “the team inhabits Canada” and that some New Yorker was the first person to call the team that?!

The term Habitant goes back the French Regime, and existed in France, to mean farmers who live on seigneurial land, and the nickname comes from the fact that Les Canadiens was the French Canadian team, while the Wanderers (and later the Maroons) were anglo teams. This name goes back to 1917, years before some NY Johnny-Come-Lately bungled into it.

A better take on where exactly the name comes from is in this here article here:

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Cal says:

That’s telling ‘em, Matty! Well done.

• Ron says:

Thanks Mattyleg. I took the bait and went over to the blog Ben plugged and I think u are correct in ur take and article attached. It was over stated abit when calling it the true story behind it.

• commandant says:

I will inform Mike of your research.

His research on Tex Rickard came in part from NHL.com

along with Wikipedia, About.com, and a few books all of whom site the story of Rickard as being where the nickname originated.

Even if Rickard is not where the nickname originated, I think the story still goes to tell where it was popularized and perhaps the confusion lies in that Tex Rickard was the first to put this name forward in the English Media and spread the word to the rest of the NHL.

Rickard was also the first to state that the H in the logo stood for Habitant, which we all know is not true.

I have added your better explanation of the term “habitant” to the article however.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Mattyleg says:

The strange thing about that bit on NHL.com is that it talks about Rickard, but doesn’t say what his part in the story is, apart from the fact that he’d been told some things by some people.

It doesn’t even say that he ever said the name.

It’s just very poorly written.

And about.com has to be the worst source for everything. They poorly boil down (mis)information from other sites around the internet regardless of accuracy.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• commandant says:

As I said, the Rickard story is literally everywhere.

The proliferation of information that Rickard told a reporter in New York that the H on the jersey stood for Habs is near undeniable.

Just Google the words Tex Rickard Habs, and it comes up everywhere.

And its not just the internet, the story is also in a number of books that I lent Mike for this story.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Mattyleg says:

Okay, that may well be, but the NHL.com article just talks about Rickard without saying what he did. There’s no ‘he coined the name’ or ‘he was the first’ or anything like that, know what I mean? It says someone told him that the H stood for Habitant. Did he write it in the newspaper? Did he hire a daredevil pilot to fly a banner with it written across the Manhattan skyline? One site says he told a reporter that, but there’s no source for that story.

And most websites that talk about it are all sourced to NHL.com or other sites using NHL.com as primary source.

I’m not doubting it outright, I just wonder how the NHL could have such a crappy piece on their site.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• commandant says:

From an Les Canadiens yearbook (the team endorsed magazine)

“Legend wants it that the “H” on the Canadiens logo stands for “Habs” instead of Club de Hockey Canadien. The fable began in 1924 when a US reporter was falsely informed by Tex Rickard that the “H” stood for “habitant”, a french word that in those days was used to refer to the farmers of Quebec. Rickard was told that the french players on the team came from farms and were therfore, “habitants”. At the time, the Canadiens were viewed upon as the French team of Montreal, whereas the Montreal Maroons were the English team.”

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Mattyleg says:

But… that’s straight off the NHL website and once again says nothing about what this guy Rickard did with the name, it just says he was incorrectly told about it.

I guess the assumption is that he passed this story on.
            But it doesn’t say that.

Do you see what I mean, at all?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• commandant says:

The story is pretty clear to me.

Lets review.

Who is Rickard?
            – Rickard is the owner of Madison Square Garden in 1924. He applies to the NHL and is granted an expansion franchise that will become the New York Rangers.

What does Rickard do?
            In 1924 a US Reporter asks Rickard why there is an H in the Montreal Canadiens’ logo. He tells the Reporter that the H stands for Habitant. The word takes off as a nickname for the team.

At some point Rickard got bad information, because even if Habitant was a nickname for the team as early as 1914 (as your research shows), it has never been incorporated into the official team name.

The “H” stands for Hockey, as seen in the jerseys, and the fact that it is no coincidence the CH replaces the CA on the jersey in 1916, the same year the team officially changes its name from “Club Amateur Canadien” to “Club de Hockey Canadien”

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Thomas Le Fan says:

We all know the Haitch stands for HOCKEY! What we are not going to get for a long while. SIGH.

• New says:

Good on you Matty. If you don’t say something it just gets repeated and takes on an internet life of it’s own.

Like the Wiki on Tex Ricard, from Kansas City, being elected marshall in a small Texas town and getting married there so the citizens decided to nickname him Tex.

Like something from the Simpsons.

• Mattyleg.

it seems like there is still some debate as to the origins of the nickname ‘Habitant’. i am not entirely convinced by either article. In the french article there is no evidence that the fans came dressed as Habitants so I can’t accept the authors claim that that was the case. I find it hard to believe that the fans came in indian moccasins to hockey games but if there is any evidence of it I’d love to see it!

I posted both stories on my site, i’ll let the readers decide for themselves. Thanks for pointing out the problem with the first article.
      Telio
      The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
      Twitter: @teliopost

• New says:

Y’all should just ask Robert Lefebvre.

17. SmartDog says:

I don’t know if I have TVA. I have something called TVA-R channel 101 on Bell. Is that it?

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• L Elle says:

On videotron it’s on 604 (HD) and comes with the basic channels. Don’t know about Bell. (cheapos). ;)

• SmartDog says:

I don’t know about Videotron but I had Cogeco before and HATED it. Bell is much better – even just using the remote is easier (not to mention you can do things in – gasp! – English!!)

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• L Elle says:

I switched from Bell, and I’m super happy with Videotron, and all my stuff is in English, plus it’s cheaper. They also have much better service.

win-win!

• Timo says:

It’s the fact that you don’t have opposable thumbs, not the cable provider that makes it hard to operate the remote.

• SmartDog says:

Cogeco Bastahds! I told them I needed to be able to operate it with my tongue.

I was so mad when they came by to take the stuff away I didn’t even sniff their butts or nuthin.

————————————-
            Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• mark-ID says:

It will apparently be shown on TVA Sports…..which for Videotron, is actually an elective channel….unfortunately.

• L Elle says:

Not sure why it isn’t included for you. It is in mine, and I never chose the channel. Maybe location or whatever “special” package they had at the time got me TVA.

• mark-ID says:

Oh ok…I will check tonight. I just looked online at Videotron website…and made it seem to be an extra channel. I am sure I already have it also in that case.

18. L Elle says:

killing our hockey Night
    I hear the owner howl, money
    Sniffing around your door
    Killing of hockey Night
    I feel my heart beating heavy
    Telling me I gotta have more

In the shadow of night
    I see the lockout rise
    Telling me what’s in store,
    My heart starts aching
    My body started shaking
    And I can’t take no more, no, no, no

Now I just wanna watch hockey with you
    And taste some beer so sweet
    And I just wanna live blog with you
    Jump up on my feet…

Killing of hockey Night
    Killing of hockey Night
    It’s Over baby…

In the heat of the day
    I hang my head down low
    And hide my face from the sun
    Through the light of the day
    Until the evening time
    I’m waiting for hockey night to come, ooh, hockey

Killing of hockey Night
    In the cool winter night
    I feel my heart is aching
    Killing of hockey Night

Oooh hockey Oooh hockey

please no lockout
    cant keep away
    cant get away
    cant keep away
    I cant keep away no

Gotta get me some hockey
    Gotta get me some hockey everyday

can’t keep away

Now I just wanna watch hockey with you
    And taste some beer so sweet
    And I just wanna live blog with you
    Jump up on my feet…

Chorus

19. commandant says:

Mike was informative today, though many Habs fans already know.

The true story of what the “H” stands for in the famous CH logo.

Mike took a look at this interesting topic today.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

20. mark-ID says:

Just posted on last thread……but good to know for those who have access to TVA…they will be televising Bulldog games this winter. Here is the link, in french. Man…it makes me happy knowing I will have some hockey I care for to watch.

21. Habitted says:

I believe Hagel was listed as a D man earlier…

@habitted

22. commandant says:

A little surprised the Bulldogs are going with only 6 D. I figured they would keep 7 guys around.

Of course they are including Hagel in that 15 forwards though, and he is capable of playing defence as well (just not very well).

oh and FIRST