Budaj will start for Habs in Columbus

The Canadiens practised Thursday morning in Brossard before heading to Columbus to face the Blue Jackets Friday night (7 p.m., RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Peter Budaj will start in goal against the Blue Jackets in the first of back-to-back games for the Canadiens, who will play the New York Rangers Saturday night at the Bell Centre. Budaj has made three starts this season, posting a 2-1-0 record with a 1.34 goals-against average and .953 save percentage.

George Parros did not take part in Thursday’s practice, taking a therapy day, but will make the trip to Columbus. Brandon Prust (shoulder) and Alexei Emelin (knee) took part in Thursday’s practice and will make the trip to Columbus. Michel Therrien said Emelin will play at some point this weekend and as for Prust the coach said: “We’ll see.”

There will be some lineup changes this weekend, but Therrien said he will wait until Friday to decide whether David Desharnais will return to the lineup after being a healthy scratch. Desharnais was the centre on the fourth line at practice with Travis Moen and Ryan White.

Emelin has been practising with the team for two weeks and is ready to go, but Therrien said he has to be patient with him.

“He’s hasn’t played for a while and he has to get his timing back,” the coach said.

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at Thursday’s practice:

Gionta – Plekanec – Bournival
Galchenyuk – Eller – Gallagher
Bourque – Briere – Pacioretty
Moen – Desharnais – White
Prust

Murray – Diaz
Bouillon – Gorges
Subban – Markov
Emelin

(Photo by Richard Wolowicz/Getty Images)

Budaj gets start in Columbus, by Pat Hickey

Upping the tempo, Canadiens.com

Words from the room (video), Canadiens.com

Mayor Coderre is allowed to act like a fan, by Pat Hickey

Aislin Denis Coderre cartoon, montrealgazette.com

Habs issues Coderre really should be tweeting about, montrealgazette.com

Nilan special guest on this week’s HI/O Show

Fire drill continues with NHL coaches, by Cam Cole

Overtime overhaul would lead to demise of shootout, montrealgazette.com

A look at disallowed goal in Tuesday’s Habs game, TSN.ca

1. Strummer says:

New thread

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

2. Bill says:

Ok, so everyone knows I am anti-fighting and many of you will pay no attention to my opinion as a result, because clearly I am a panty-waist and a pacifist. But I want to tell this story.

I teach, amongst others, members of a QMJHL team. These are kids obviously.

I lost a student last week because he left the team. The reason he left was that the coach wanted to use him as a goon, because the kid happens to be a deadly fighter. You know those PEI boys …

I don’t know if that kid has what it takes to be a pro or not. I am not Ed. But I do know that it is a damn shame that sixteen year old kids – just boys – are being forced to choose between pursuing their dream and having to fight, or losing their opportunity. These are kids who got really far in the hockey system to make it to Major Junior.

Anyway, it is sad, and it all comes down to the NHL’s idiotic policy on fighting. No way should these young boys in Major Junior have to get punched in the face to make the NHL, but until the NHL decides to be a real league, I guess that these kids will have to keep doing what they’re doing, or else give up on what they have worked for their whole lives.

Anyway, I guess the point of my post is that there is a human cost involved in the NHL’s fighting policy. And it affects kids, and kids I know personally, and that is why I hate it so much.

• Max says:

Meh,the elite talents will get to the NHL via their skills if they really want to, while the below average/average guys will need to bring other intangibles,including fighting as it is part of the game.They have plenty of other paths to take in life if they don’t want to fight to get by in hockey.

• SteverenO says:

@Bill

I agree with your anti-fighting position in the NHL, I don’t understand how a league can make helmets mandatory (supposedly to protect players from head injuries), and st the same time allow bare knuckle punching to the head.

I could live with fighting between and amongst hockey players, but am totally against “fenforcersw/ighters”. There should not be a place an nhl roster for players that are not skilled enough to play hockey when their gloves are on.

I can accept that other people have different opinions about there being a place in the NHL for fighting, but in Junior hockey?

There can be no justification for any tolerance toward fighting at the “non-professional” level.

That should be a “no-brainer”

regards,

Steve O.

3. Jed says:

Bit of a random question – I was thinking of going to the Saskatoon Blades game this Saturday when they take on the Kootenay Ice and Habs prospect Tim Bozon (not to mention Sam Reinhart). Bozon’s production seems to have dropped off a lot this year, does anyone who follows the WHL a bit closer have any idea why? I know he had some good linemates on Kamloops last year but it’s his 4th Junior season and I would have expected him not to regress this much – 4 goals in 21 games does not make his chance as a future NHL sniper look that likely.

Dunboyne Mike – Westjet will have a direct flight from Calgary to Dublin starting this June. Here I come baby. Get some beers ready :)

(ok, maybe not so direct, damn… but get them beers ready just in case)

• boing007 says:

Try Smithwicks.

Richard R

• jimmy shaker says:

How bout a snakebite? A pint filled with half harp’s and half strongbow. Really good, till you stand up and have to move!

Sahker out!

• Max says:

A pint of half and half beer and cider? That’s not gonna do much for me.

• Mattyleg says:

It’s called a snakebite in Ireland.
          They put a dash of blackcurrant into it too to take away the sharpness.
          90% of pubs won’t serve it to you because after a couple you go a bit nuts, especially when it’s hot.

I used to drink it every now and then with a ladyfriend of mine at a pub called Thomas Reade’s on Dame Street. The barman always had to double-check that it was okay to serve it to us.

• Max says:

I don’t understand what’s so harsh about it? Isn’t it a 5% lager and 5% cider mix in a pint glass??

• Timo says:

Love that beer. Used to drink it at Le Vieux Dublin all the time.

• Gerry H says:

So, this summer my wife and I arrive in Kilkenny and stop for lunch. I figure that since the Guinness in Dublin was so good (SO much better than what we get here or even what they serve in London), the Kilkenny in Kilkenny must be equally awesome. Waitress looks at me like I have horns on me head.

No such thing.

The Smithwicks brewery is in Kilkenny, though, and that was lovely.

• Mattyleg says:

It used to exist in Ireland, but nobody drank it so they got rid of it.
          Still sells in England tho.

• Gerry H says:

Ah.

Hmm.

• Luke says:

I love Kilkenny.

Fits right in when I want something a little heavier/creamier but don’t want to go full Guinness.

My pub stopped carrying it, but they put Old Speckled Hen on in it’s place.

That works well enough.

• Timo says:

Is that like going Full Breezer only better?

• Mattyleg says:

OSH is just an ale though, not a cream ale.
            The SAQ sells it in bottles here, and I pick a couple up every now and then. It’s lovely.

• Luke says:

Oh, I know it’s not a cream ale… I just meant that it’s heavier than my usual (Creemore) so it fills in well enough.

There’s been quite a few local/micro brews coming to the bars around here (Niagara) which are pretty decent. These guys are pretty solid:

There seems to be a market growing for the dark ales, which I am having a tough time getting used to.

I’m what is known as a ‘super-taster'; which while sounds impressive means really means that I’m rather sensitive to bitter flavours and easily overwhelmed.

I want to like the Dark ales.

My friends are going full “Traditional IPA” right now. Big ol’ Hoppy, High alcohol (7%+) bottles of flavour.

That’s something I could get into.

• jimmy shaker says:

Say hi to Bono and Roy Keane for me. Do they drink there beer at room temperature like the English do?

shaker out

Funny you mention that Timo, I saw that announcement as well, and immediately thought about our friend Mike also.

CHeers

5. jimmy shaker says:

How many of the current habs do you think take a look at this site, if any at all?

Shaker out

6. jimmy shaker says:

Talking about Kadri here for a second……he got 3 games for the backstrom hit, but what about the 5 minute match penalty he took against i forget his name. Shouldn’t he get something for that hit as well? I’m thinking 5 games total for both offences. How come nothing more has come from that hit?

Shaker out.

• Luke says:

I think the second hit was laregely considered to be the lesser of the two infractions.

He kept his elbow tucked. the fellow was bent over a bit, now he did lift into the hit, but it wasn’t quite a launch.

All in all, it deserved 5mins and the game, but probably nothing futther.
      The first deserved 5 & a game + further, but that’s another story…

• jimmy shaker says:

But because it was a match penalty for a hit to the head, I thought those types of hits are automatically looked into further from shanny.

Shaker out

• bwoar says:

He targeting his head with that hit on Granlund. I think he should’ve got an extra game at a least. He shouldn’t have even been *in* the game at that point to be able to make that hit. It’s poor form that the NHL is sweeping away the hit that actually got him ejected.

“thoroughbred”

• I know I’ve gone on this rant before, and your assessment of 5+ games is definitely reasonable in the context of the league’s disciplinary record. But I don’t see how 3 or 5 or 8 games is much of a deterrent in an 82-game season.

If players can lay on hugely dangerous, potentially career-ending head-shots, and generally expect to miss only 2-10% of one season at the very most, there’s not much of a deterrent factor there.

Again, not a beef with you — it just irks me when the NHL doles out one slap on the wrist after another for dangerous hits like the Backstrom one…

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

• Luke says:

Oh yah, I’m right there with you.

I’d be dropping 10 game suspensions (+ the loss of a roster spot)for the stuff that get’s one or two from Shanny.

But when I discuss these things, I try to work with what the current reality is. Makes no point to say that Kadri should get 15 or 20 games for the Tito Santana flying forearm and the head shot…

So yah. I agree on all points.

• It’s an unfortunate reality, but you’re right, we’ve got to work within it for the time being.

I wonder if some bold coach with a ton of integrity will ever bench his own player: “so-and-so nearly killed the other guy, but the league only gave him five games, so I’m giving him ten more.” That would win him and his organization a helluva lot of points in a lot of people’s books.

• Excellent question.

And while we’re at it, why no supplemental discipline for Lupul’s ridiculous attempt to take Sedin’s head off? (Video). It’s all well and good that Sedin ducks and Lupul’s elbow connects with Kadri’s face instead, but isn’t there some kind of rule against attempt to injure?

• jimmy shaker says:

There probably should be, but I think that would be way too much work for Shanny’s office……He would have to get another team to study the borderline attempts/hits/checks etc. It sounds good, but I think it would already add to the greyness (if that’s a word) that Shanny operates in.

Shaker out

Aaah… Francois Gagnon… ma man.

Oops, so MR post it below. Nevermind.

8. Cal says:

Sheesh, I just realized that it’s Bob and Doug running Toronto.
    Koo-roo-koo-koo-koo-roo-koo-koo!

9. JM says:

Tonight I give the edge to the Habs hopefully they take advantage of it. This weekend they have a chance at picking up 4-important points.

10. habs001 says:

Maxpac has had two very good years and he is 24 yet after 10 ganes some posters are ready to trade him…this make no sense at all…players like Plecks,Gion,Borque,Moen and Gorges have reached their potential and are not going to get better from this point on just worse..Management has to make the decision if you can win with these players or is it time to move on…

11. savethepuck says:

I have read a few times in the last few days that the team sucked last game and they were lucky to get a point because Price played so good. This statement bothers me because as a former goaltender, the goaltender is part of the team too. I think that statement is the same as saying the Pens sucked and were lucky Crosby scored 3 goals or the Caps sucked but were lucky Ovie scored those 3 goals. Price was a 5th overall pick and he should be our best player on most nights (which thankfully he is). In a few years, I don’t think we’ll be saying that the team played terrible but we’re lucky to win because Chucky got a Hattie.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• JohninTruro says:

As we discussed yesterday….there were other players who played well like Subban. But let’s be honest the TEAM played bad except for Price and there is only one goalie on the ice at a time. If the goalie has a bad game you are MUCH more likely to lose than all of your LW having a bad game. If Price had not been well above what is statistically the norm for a goalie performance we don’t get a point.
      And as a goalie you should be proud of that, he took us to OT.

• savethepuck says:

I thought with our Truro connection from a few weeks ago, you would be defending me ;) I guess my point is that considering his draft position (check my profile and see he’s my favorite Hab ) people shouldn’t say that we were only lucky because of the way Price played.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• JohninTruro says:

Haha I am not arguing with you though! Listen I agree, based on draft position (which we can both agree doesn’t always mean anything….Gallagher etc, etc) being so high you need to be an impact player a la Crosby etc (but Crosby is Crosby!!). Price is expected to play like that night in and night out and he has been. Good he can be there when the team is not. Good teams get points like that, or win, when they play a subpar game, and that’s where a goalie truly shows his worth.

12. Mattyleg says:

Anyone else hear that Francois Gagnon said on L’Antichambre last night that Diaz was in the midst of signing a multi-year $3m deal?

• savethepuck says:

I don’t see him in our future plans, but signing him to a multi year deal makes him a better asset for a later deal if the $’s are right.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Mattyleg says:

I think Diaz is a lot better than people give him credit for.
        He may not be the strongest at coverage in our zone, but every team has defencemen like that, and I don’t see it as a bad thing.
        We can’t have a d-corps made up solely of Norris-winners and runners-up, and enormous, mobile, defensively-sound players.

It don’t happen!

• Luke says:

I suppose I took too long in publishing my Diaz exposition below.

But yah, the ErikColes note:

I agree. Diaz is a capable player. He is probably right in the average for a puck moving defenseman (SUICIDE PASSES NAG!! aside) and I could see him getting a contract comperable to that of Gunnarsson in Toronto. ~3 million/year; 3 years.

Is he irreplaceable? No.

He’s one ofthe guys that fills out your roster, because 6 HoF defensemen are expensive and hard to find.

• Mattyleg says:

I saw that post, and I agree completely.
            No team has defensemen who are all perfect.
            I invite anyone who complains about Diaz to visit any other NHL team’s board, and see what they say about their own d-men, especially the ones that many posters on here covet.

• twilighthours says:

Great bottom-pair D and decent middle pair. Might be a bit of an overpayment but I don’t pay the bills.

• Timo says:

I did I threw up in my mouth a little.

• Propwash says:

How Hab – Professor is probably reacting…

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Kooch7800 says:

wouldn’t doubt it. I think Bob McKenzie said he would be next as well. I am really starting to wonder about MB. I know Diaz is an asset and can be useful but this team will have cap issues next year and 3 mill on Diaz seems high for what he brings. Gorges needs to be moved for cap hit alone. 4 mill a season for what he brings isn’t a great situation

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

Seems like there is a new rivalry starting out west between the Avs and Blues.

14. mount royal says:

Francois Gagnon on why DD should be sent to Hamilton, even at risk of losing him.

• donmarco says:

It’s a logical argument, but realistically no team is going to eat a 4 year contract for a guy with 1 point. And keeping him in the press box sure isn’t going to help him, or the team. The only way to get through this is to play so Hamilton is a definite possibility.

15. habs001 says:

Diaz is okay for regular season but when the playoffs physical all out forecheck revs up he is in trouble…Gorges battles and gives his all but when he is out on the ice so many times the game end up as a physical battle on the boards in the Habs zone because he also has problems moving the puck when there is a heavy forecheck attack..

• Habsrule1 says:

If we can have a big body with Diaz, he may be ok in the playoffs. If not, that’s why depth at defense is so important. Who starts games in the playoffs will be determined by who our opponent is.

Go Habs Go!!

• habs001 says:

Also, for a player like Diaz it is not fair the clear illegal physical play that players get away in the playoffs…so it is even harder for him to play in the playoffs..

16. Strummer says:

Dallas Eakins is in way over his head:

“Things have obviously not gone as well as I would have thought probable…I’m frustrated, I’m pissed off…I want to see results,” MacTavish said.

In trying to dissect what has gone wrong, McTavish then added this nugget:

“For me, the first five or six games we self-destructed as a team,” he said. “We were making many mental mistakes, we were making junior mistakes with the puck…”

Wait a second, junior mistakes!

Wasn’t that the gist of a comment that Lars Eller of the Montreal Canadiens made last month that landed him in a tub of boiling water?

“They play a little bit like a junior team, I think, sometimes,” Eller remarked, which led to an avalanche of angst from Oiler types, including Eakins.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Ozmodiar says:

Perhaps MacT is trying to motivate the team for their next game.

“Let’s see… what can I do to get this team going? Hmmm… what did that Eller kid say a while back? Something about playing like Juniors? Okay, here we go…”

• donmarco says:

Can you imagine Scotty Bowman ever saying things like “they need to start having fun” whenever the Habs weren’t playing well? To me, it was entirely the wrong message to send to his players. Why put that extra effort in when the kindly GMis saying everything will be fine. Fans of the Oilers deserve better. It’s time for him to look at a major trade that will send the message to the team. Play hard, play smart or go somewhere else.

• habs001 says:

True…and many fools believed that the Habs lost because Eller made this comment…

17. Steeltown Hab says:

I can’t think of one legitimate we would be re-signing Diaz. Then again that hasn’t stopped Bergevin before.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• DipsyDoodler says:

If you’re saying that your opinion hasn’t influenced Bergevin’s decision making, I dare say you are right.

• Kooch7800 says:

I bet you a beer that he is signed before PK….

I do think they should move him at the deadline for picks

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Mattyleg says:

PK will be the last, because management will see how far they can low-ball everyone before offering PK what they have left.

No point in signing PK for a huge deal, then hearing that the rest of your team doesn’t want to sign for what you have left over.

• JohninTruro says:

I think he would match up very well on a 3rd pairing with Murray. And play second string PP time with hopefully Emelin or a forward because Franky isn’t cutting it on the second wave.

• Habsrule1 says:

I think that really depends on how close they think Beaulieu or Pateryn are to playing next season. The goal will be to have a decent 2nd PP unit on the point after PK & Markov.

Go Habs Go!!

• Luke says:

I’m curious, and while I don’t think Diaz is close to perfect, I don’t understand the hate. What are people’s expectations are for the guy.

Understanding that Diaz is not a stay at home defenseman, what would it take for you to see Diaz as “worthwhile”?

Like, seriously quantify it.

(You can’t say – “Hit everything!” because that’s like asking Murray to score 49 goals).

Personally, I think he’s just an easy target.
      He makes 1.225million bucks, plays a reasonable game but is by no means irreplaceable.
      At that Cap hit, you aren’t getting Bobby Orr and Larry Robinson combined. You get the Diaz’s and the Lachance’s and Dandeneault’s…
      I’m OK with a decent defenseman, who looks to be putting up ~35 points for 1.225 million.

I bet next year, on an open market he’ll get ~3 million (look at Carl Gunnarson).

18. DipsyDoodler says:

Poll of the day.

Today’s Rob Ford moment?

1. Tearful apology, wife dutifully by his side, promise to go to rehab.

2. Massive heart attack.

19. donmarco says:

Here’s the only video I could find from the Ohio State Bemidji State women’s hockey fight. Don’t get your hopes up. Only time I’ve seen a bench clearing “brawl” without a single punch thrown. Like 2 teams of Lapierre’s.

20. DipsyDoodler says:

I’m just putting this out there.

If you look at opportunities to score and/or puck possesion (measured by Corsi and Fenwick) here are the results for our D men. A number of 50% means the opposition has exactly as many chances to score as your team when you are on the ice.

PK 54
    Marky 54
    Tinordi 52
    Gorges 49
    Diaz 48
    Bouillon 41
    Murray 32

If you want to know what’s a good number, the very best defencemen are in the high 50s and mostly play for Chicago, LA, and St.Louis. The really poor defencemen are in the low 40s. Dion Phaneuf is second worse among D-men that have played 15 games or more and he is at 39%.

And this isn’t new. Murray was the worst Pens’ D-man in the playoffs at 42%

Douglas Murray, at least by this measure, is not merely the worst in the league, he’s an outlier.

When he is on the ice the opposing team has TWICE AS MANY chances to score as his team does.

Putting Douglas Murray on the ice is an open invitation to the other team to score – it’s like those windows in the red light district in Amsterdam. Come on in boys.

Info here:

• Maksimir says:

Interesting analysis… but I wonder if this is also because Therrien puts him and FB out there when there is a defensive zone faceoff more than with Markov/Subban?

• Eddie says:

Like I said down below.

Murray is not my favourite. I like to keep the discussion polite here because I know most of the posters like the way he’s playing.

In terms of gathering a puck, moving his feet, moving the puck quickly and efficiently to a forward, and getting out of our zone, I would say Murray is no where near NHL standards.

He is in the lineup because he is huge and much of our team is either small or soft.

Of course Bergevin knows all of this.

I know you will always have zero use for Murray, perhaps when he gets a chance to play with someone like Emelin or Diaz or Gorges his numbers improve. It is worth trying, given just as there are negative attributes to his game (which on occasion you have pointed out) there are positive attributes to his game.

If indeed when paired with someone other than Frankie, his numbers remain poor then hopefully we can perhaps have Beaulieu and/or Tinordi ready to take his place.

• DipsyDoodler says:

That is a good point – for obvious reasons these stats are very close for each pair of defencemen. So any player will be affected by his partner.

But here’s the thing. The Murray-Bouillon pairing is the only one where there is a discrepancy. The numbers suggests that Bouillon is better than Murray.

The reality is that neither one is good enough.

• Eddie says:

Murray’s physicality is unique on the team. That is why he’s in the lineup.

If Tinordi would have continued his physical play once the season began, I think Tinordi would be better than Murray already.

But Tinordi stopped hitting.

• Kooch7800 says:

Tinordi started to get benched cause of mental laps and then his confidence was gone and so went the body checks. I am going to the dogs game on the 29th. I will let you know how he and Nate B look then

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Phil C says:

Are those stats at even strength or in all situations?

• Interesting stats, but to be fair, Murray has played 8 games this year — not a huge sample size.

• twilighthours says:

Couldn’t help but notice that Habs Prof hasn’t commented on this one.

• Habsrule1 says:

Is this stat for real? Doesn’t uit stand to reason that when the 5-6 D-men are on the ice, the 4th line forwards are often also on the ice, meaning the opposition may have a chance to have a favorable match-up and thus have more scoring chances? How does one player (who often doesn’t even have the pck that much) be blamed for chances against his team? The other team scoring while he’s on the ice is often a scewed stat as it is, but a chance to score?
      Some stats were just not meant to be.

Go Habs Go!!

• twilighthours says:

Let me see if I can do my best EOTP impersonation.

The theory is that standard +/- accounts for goals, which are relatively rare events. So this makes it a less reliable measurement.

Much more common are shots directed at net. And since they are more common, they can be used as an indicator of who has the puck more (because if you have the puck, you’re eventually going to shoot it). This is the “possession proxy” that you might have read about.

So new-fangled measurements are now being made to determine what players are in possession of the puck more often.

Habsfansince72’s post, above, would indicate that Murray is among the worst in the league at actually having the puck. And further conclusions can be drawn: Murray is poor at retrieving the puck, and if he does get it then he often gives it away.

Now, I’m not really a numbers guy but something this bold certainly tells a story. And it also agrees with what I see when watching the game: when Murray is on the ice, the Habs are penned in their own zone. I’d rather see a guy retrieve the puck back from the opponent (and advance it) than see a guy flatten an opponent in front of our net after a shot on goal. That’s just me, though.

Your point about who Murray plays with is salient: I’ve noticed that Murray takes a lot of his shifts with the 4th forward line. Since it seems to me that any shift that Murray plays will be one of just surviving and hoping not to get scored on, I’d personally play Murray-Cube with the Plex line as much as possible. But I’m no coach.

• Habsrule1 says:

Nice post….well explained….makes more sense to us lesser thinkers now.
          And thanks for making me look up salient….and thanks for the compliment.

Go Habs Go!!

21. Luke says:

Good Morning.

I need a (expletive deleted) coffee.

But, there’s something to look forward to: It’s a game day on Beerday.

What may be of most interest though is the Sabres/Leafs home and home today and tomorrow. It shall be interesting to see how the Sabres react to the management changes, and if the silliness of the pre-season has any carry over.

Unfortunately, due to his timely suspension, Kadri won’t be able to *finally* get his hands on Scott. But, Clarkson now has his chance… unless Lupul holds him back.

• The Cat says:

Happy for Ted Nolan…Love that guy.

• Strummer says:

Leafs will be in tough missing 3 centres so hopefully Nolan can sweep in his comeback debut.
      Home and home Tor/Buf- is it the QEW series? Outlet Mall Series?
      Sit- at- the- Peace- Bridge- for- 2- hours series?

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

Yup, The Sabres will be jacked up for these games, would be great to see some upsets. Leafs always struggle with Buffalo, unfortunately with the Sabres having struggled all season, i suspect there will be more Leaf fans than ever in Buffalo tonight making this game even more Pro Toronto than it usually is when the Leaves are in town.

• Mattyleg says:

“Hold me back, Lupes! Hold me back!!!”

“(no seriously Joffrey, please hold me back…”)

22. The Cat says:

I think the habs win tonight but the team still needs a big trade.

Tonight I believe we will see a much better full court press on the puck.
    While we have been healing our wounded players, Therrian has broken up the DaneGGer line, as well as other line moves and D pairings. He has had a quality chance to view some of our Hamilton players playing against NHL competition. He should know by now which players suit playing with each other.

Now it is all about keeping players together that work well as units for better production.
    His full court pressure on the puck style fore check has manufactured most of our goals and penalties for our power play units early in the year, and I feel they will pick up that speed game play tonight.
    Not many team can skate like we can for 60 min. allowing the opposition to slow the game down is in their best interest. So keeping the feet moving and being hard on the puck at both ends of the rink, will manufacture points in the standings big time.

24. third generation haber says:

Let me see if I understand this, a year ago MB wasn’t convinced that Subban should be signed long-term, but was fully confident that DD should be???? Hmmm, what’s Subban’s worth now?

I’m terrified to check tsn everyday for fear that he’s made a trade.

j.p. murray

25. Phil C says:

Markov-Subban
    Gorges-Diaz
    Emelin-Murray

Manage Emelin’s minutes and match ups before he plays top four minutes again, at least for a few weeks. Then adjust the pairings based on how he is playing. Then I would swap Emelin and Gorges.

26. Steeltown Hab says:

I see no issue in playing Beaulieu and Pateryn/Tinordi in the lineup at the same time.

Markov – Subban
    Beaulieu – Gorges
    Emelin – Pateryn

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Thank you! After the prof came up with another bs suggestion this looks much, much better. I would switch Beaulieu and Emelin and give the third pair sheltered minutes though.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Beaulieu Pateryn were the first pairing all last yr in Ham, so they have chemistry as well.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

27. DipsyDoodler says:

Does anyone know how good those prospects were that Chicago gave up for Versteeg?

It’s fairly shocking that Florida would still pay half his salary – unless they got a really hot prospect in return.

28. Eddie says:

I’m going negative here, so optimists please do not read my post, thank you.

Murray and Diaz can not work agains a hard working, aggressive forechecker.

I like Diaz’s quickness, but he is vulnerable against the bigger, faster teams.

I do not like Murray unless he’s standing in front of the net, without the puck, knocking people over. That’s the only place he has impressed.
    And Murray is also vulnerable against a fast aggressive forecheck.

• Phil C says:

Maybe not paired with Murray, but Gorges and Diaz have been very effective against the forecheck. Their combination of quickness and reliability with the puck makes it very tough to retrieve the puck from them unless you are right on them. That is the value of a mobile group of defensemen. The Kings we able to use their size against most teams until they ran into Chicago’s mobile D.

On the few occasions that the forecheckers catch the Diaz-Gorges pairing, it can look bad for the Habs, but it should be recognized that most of the time, teams have little success forechecking that pairing. Diaz’s 44 minutes played per goal scored at ES is evidence of that. If they were getting caught all the time on the forecheck, the puck would be in the net more often.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Problem is if Murray is in front of his net without the puck it almost implies the opposition is controlling the puck in our end and has a chance to score.

What you’d like is to never be in that situation.

The one thing Tampa D did well in their end was to retrieve the puck and get the action flowing in the opposite direction, fast. I think this is the key and Murray doesn’t do that.

• Phil C says:

Tampa were outstanding with the puck in all three zones. Their puck movement made the Habs look really bad. I wish the Habs would start playing more this way. The Habs’ puck support is not quite good enough to play that way yet and they tend to be too safe, throwing the puck away instead of making the tape-to-tape pass. I saw the coaching staff berate them for that very thing in one of the 24CH episodes so they are aware of it, it is just convincing them to play the right way.

• Cal says:

Murray and Diaz have been paired on the PK for a while and have been successful at it. Murray goes into the corner on a dump in and comes out with the puck. So what if he isn’t fast, but does the job? Experience, and he has a lot of that, makes up for it.

• Ozmodiar says:

Diaz will do as well as Bou Bou. Mobile defensemen who can move the puck quickly can negate a forecheck. I think they’ll compliment each other nicely. I’d rather Lindstrom and Kronwall, but hey, it’s the 3rd pairing.

The one thing that scares me is Murray’s pinching to make a hit, combined with Diaz’s trouble with the 2 on 1.

• savethepuck says:

I’m an optimistic, but I’ll reply anyway. I didn’t like Murray but I noticed last game him shoving his a$$ into a player and pushing him away from Carey’s line of sight. As a former goaltender, I love a guy who let’s you see the puck.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

If you want to get your Hab Hockey juices going and have a great start to your day, just watch this!

30. Cal says:

This one’s for Steve, aka 24 Cups:Ohio

31. Eddie says:

So here’s something.

Yesterday I’m listening to Brian Wilde, who follows the Habs very closely for CTV television, and he says that there is something wrong with the way the Habs are playing, and it’s not the lines, and not the players.

I think he was implying that something is not working in the room.

I think if the Habs don’t win tonight and don’t play we’ll against New York tomorrow, we could easily see a trade.

32. HABZ24 says:

Glad to see bournival on the first line,id say top line but clearly the EGG line is the top line production wise.

GO HABS GO

Morning Poll Question:
    What will Rob Ford do today, and will it be in a Leafs Jersey this time?

• Eddie says:

Who lives in the suburbs of Toronto these days? That’s where Ford still has support, I have been told.

Here’s a thought.

I think Ford is making his way into Canadian history books, which is rare for Mayor.

This is his legacy moment!! Hahaha!

• veryhabby says:

Eddie- the city of Toronto does not have suburbs. We have what is called the GTA, greater Toronto Area. Those who live in GTA all have their own mayor. I live in the GTA, the suburbs, about 5 min car ride from Toronto. I have my own mayor.

What you are referring to is the fact that the voting ridings that are closer to the downtown Area are less Ford supporters. The ones in the east part (scarboro) and the West part, where he lives and all those videos and photos where taken (etobicoke). Neither of these areas are suburbs. No one living there think of themselves selves as living in the burbs. They all live in TO.

Very different then montreal where west island or South Shore are burbs of mtl ( and I guess vote for all one mtl mayor?)

Just some non hockey insight.

• savethepuck says:

I am an army brat, and my father was stationed in Trenton Ontario ( approx 100 miles East of Toronto) from 1974 to 1977. That was nearly 40 years ago and I was only a kid born in 65, but I still remember an article in the Toronto Star titled “Toronto, The City That Loves Losers”. This was a time when the Leafs sucked, the Argos sucked, and the Blue Jays were a new franchise that also sucked. The gist of the article was that even though these 3 teams sucked so bad, they continued to sell out on a regular basis. You cherish those happy memories as a kid.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

Not reading too much into the line-up from yesterday’s practice but I assume it’s a given that Prust will take DD’s spot on Saturday with White sliding over to the middle. That’s basically a no-brainer.

The real question is what combos will MT use on the D once Emelin returns? Does the coach insert Emelin with Gorges? If so, who plays with Diaz on the 3rd unit? Murray, even with his lack of speed and puck moving skills, does fill a team need and void. However, Bouillon is teacher’s pet so it might be a very tough call. Or does MT go back to the drawing board and break up the Subban/Markov unit? Personally, I don’t see Gorges as a 1st pairing guy. I also can’t see Emelin playing 1st unit minutes after missing half a year of hockey. Emelin/Gorges works for me with Gorges revisiting his Hal Gill days on the right side. Bouillon versus Murray? Ouch. Does it really matter? I can’t wait for one of the kids in Hamilton to make the grade next year (or this February).

• Cal says:

I’d like to see, in no particular order:
      Markov-Emelin
      PK- Gorges
      Murray-Diaz

The Cube as #7.

• Ian Cobb says:

PK cannot pass the puck around with Gorges Cal. It even takes his skating game away. But with Markov the two of them can play a great game together. It will even extend a new contract for Markov.
        Gorges can play a decent game with Emilin though.
        Diaz playing with Murray on the 3rd pairing is going to work for 15min per game. Bouillon will be 7th D, me thinks.

• savethepuck says:

When I looked at the D pairings in practice of Marky-PK, Boo-Gorges, Diaz-Murray with Emi as the 7th man, I took it as a given that it means Emi will slot into Boo’s spot and play with Josh, and the other 2 pairings of 79-76 and 61 with 6. I am not always right though.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• monmick says:

Prust will not play Saturday. Return next week…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• veryhabby says:

MT already stated that Emelin will be brought along slowly. So do not read anything into the pairings for the first little while. If it wasn’t a back to back game, I wouldn’t have been surprised if they went with 7 Dmen and rotated a frwd on the 4th line.

I have no clue what MT will do but he did state at start of season that he likes one puck moving D one each pairing. He then listed PK, Mark,Bouillon, Diaz as such. So….

PK/Emelin
      Mark/ Gorges
      Diaz/ rotate Bouillon Murray. Depending on team

Btw not happy to hear they have started negotiations with Diaz! Time to bring up some kids next year!

Kris Versteeg. And the rich get richer (not to mention that they also get someone else to pay half their bills). It sure much be great for Stan Bowman to have a farm team like Florida in the Eastern Conference.

Not only does Versteeg come in at a cheap 2.2M but he also has three years left on his contract (including this season).

I’ve been trying to figure out what Montreal would have to do in order to pull off this trade. Using the Black Hawk trade as an example it might be something like Leblanc and one of the young Dmen not named Beaulieu or Tinordi. Maybe Kristo instead of Leblanc except Montréal traded him away for another 5’9″ forward.

When you look at Chicago, LA and St Louis you realize just how far the Habs have to go before they can really challenge for the Cup.

• Eddie says:

Good morning,

Danny Kristo was our best prospect at forward. Period.
      Danny Kristo was our best trading piece outside of Beaulieu and Tinordi.
      Danny Kristo was traded for a player, who, 2 years from now, at best, will still be 5 foot 9.

Assuming the Habs were almost forced to sign and trade Kristo for whatever reason, how do you trade a prospect like that for a player who you know can not make your team bigger?

Here’s the way I believe every trade and every draft pick should go if I was Bergevin;

Show me a player 6’1 or bigger, and 200 lbs and I’m interested.

Period.

• Cal says:

Kristo didn’t want to play in Montreal, yet trading him for another small player was, to say the least, disheartening.

• Eddie says:

Exactly the point Cal. Exactly right.

And it’s not only trades, it’s got to be draft picks as well.

When you’re running a business you define who you are targeting as clients, as suppliers etc, and you stick to those parameters.

Unfortunately that is the frustrating part as you and Ed have pointed out. Thomas has good lineage, but it will be hard for him to have the career his pops had, Stumpy was a good heart and soul player.

• --Habs-- says:

What was Kristo’s size?

“Habs” on my license plate!

• Max says:

The size thing is overrated.someone 6ft 200 is considered biggish but someone 5’10,190 is small.The height thing is really ridiculous at times.There are players that are 6’4 and barely scraping 200 pounds who can’t be considered big or physical as they are just tall and willowy.

It’s the size of the fight in the dog as they say.Detroit have been one of the league’s best teams for the past 20 years with two or three cups and they are consistently ranked on the lower end of the size scale.

Chicagao doesn’t come across as a big team either and are on of the best.

• Cal says:

Yup. Habs are a few players away all right. Mind you, the core is there save for a real scoring threat. I am hoping Chucky grows into a Datsyuk-like player for the Habs, but he’s a couple seasons away from that. For this season’s team to contend, all the role players like Moen and company would have to have career years.

• Eddie says:

Good morning Cal, I had high hopes for Moen. He skates quite well. He’s big. He has a tough side to him. He’s just not on the puck enough to be a factor.

He seems to drifting from shift to shift.

White is also not getting better.

• 24 Cups says:

Moen strikes me as being a contract year player. I can live with his salary but the term is a motivation killer. I guess that’s one of the perils of the free agent market.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi Eddie

When looking at players and because of the Business of Hockey and the Cap, both Moen and White are well worth their money…and are FAR from causing any Cap troubles like some others.

Moen Cap Hit: $1.85M
          White Cap Hit: $700K

Both provide a 4th line veteran presence (we saw what happened when the Hamilton guys played)

Moen and White are also the #2-3 guys for the Habs now 6th ranked PK this year behind only Plekanec.
          White is also valuable in the Face-off circle at 52.1%.

The only negative for them thus far is a non existent contribution of any type of offense.

White has zero points in 17 games (ToI 9:40 including 1:47 of PK time) and Moen has 2 assists in 14 games (ToI 11:09 including 2:23 of PK time)
          Even the Bruins 8 minute man Shawn Thornton has 2 goals.

• Eddie says:

Ronn, people in hockey like you know that there are many types of payers who can kill penalties at te forward position.

Gallagher and Bournival would be outstanding there!

We don’t need White and Moen for that, almost all of our forwards could fill that role with excellent results.

So I don’t buy into that.

We need White and Moen to crash and bang all over the ice, force the other team deep into their zone, and wear them down, and yes, pop in a goal here and there.

I’m disappointed in that aspect of their games.

That trade is completely perplexing to me. Why the heck is Florida of all teams picking up salary on players they trade away? One thing I think is that they don’t do that trade with another team in the East, as they can’t have Versteeg hurt them in their own division or conference while paying his bills.

• Ozmodiar says:

If they didn’t retain part of his salary they wouldn’t have been able to trade him. Well, unless they traded him for another cap dump, which they didn’t in this case. Instead, they got 2 young players who, combined, won’t cost as much as the money saved from moving Versteeg.

I guess the part I find odd is that just a couple years ago the Panthers were the team where bad contracts went to die. Given their ownership is always in a state of flux, I am surprised the ownership would approve a trade where they pay salary or a departed player.

And was Versteeg really the problem? One has to wonder, given how often he has been traded. And who loses ice time in Chicago to make room for Versteeg?

• Ozmodiar says:

Yeah, they’ve acquired some questionable contracts in the past, but it looks like they’re trying to get away from that now that the young talent is emerging.

I’m sure they’re not thrilled about retaining 1/2 the salary, but I guess it’s better than keeping the whole thing. Hayes is a pretty good prospect and will likely be better than Versteeg down the road.

Versteeg keeps getting bounced around because he’s a complimentary player, rather than a core piece. Keeps going from Pretenders to Contenders.

GameDay! Looking forward to watching the boys play tonight.

Morning Everyone

• Cal says:

Hey Burly, I was thinking 4 goals in Ohio. The Habs gotta get down to it. Blue Jackets might be shooting them down. Should have been done long ago.

• Eddie says:

Good morning Burly, looks like a beautiful day ahead of us in Montreal. I’ve golfed as late as Dec 10th here a couple of years back.

I have golf plans for tomorrow, I once golfed on Christmas Eve here in southern ontario, would love to see that happen again this year. Enjoy the beautiful weather Ed, maybe someday I will find my way out to Montreal in the summer and we can get a round of golf in.

CHeers bud!

• savethepuck says:

All courses where I’m from are closed at the end of October. I have lived here in southern N.But. since 1978 and I have never seen an exception
        Is the weather that much better in Upper Canada?

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• savethepuck says:

Are you and Bill OK? Do you have to kiss and makeup?

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

37. Cal says:

Where has the HIO night shift gone?
    *Cue ominous music.*

38. FIRST

GO HABS GO, another PVR game as the Wheaties are (cough cough) playing.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

39. Un Canadien errant says:

NBC Sports announcing that the Blackhawks have reacquired Kris Versteeg from the Panthers, in exchange for minor leaguers.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons

40. naweed235 says:

Versteeg just got traded back to Chicago

41. Harditya says:

Bruins will regret the Seguin trade. Big time. Kid has been on fire with Dallas, what a line combination of him, Jamie Benn and Valeri Nichushkin.

Wow Seguin with 4 goals tonight, Benn with a 6 point performance.

• CH Marshall says:

Biiiig tiiiime. Séguin is just a young guy still, kinda like a certain young Dman we have. Maturity will round them out. Man, if only we had Séguin, Kane, and a Stamps to play with Chucky, Galley, Eller, Pleks etc. Can you imagine Chucky feeding Kane passes?

• Marc10 says:

Yeah, really happy about that one. Nice to see them stuff up so completely. Iggy has partially compensated for Horton’s departure, but there’s no saving them from the Seguin flop.

There was a video of the Bruins management (a la 24CH) showing one of their scout guys questioning Seguin’s character after the playoffs. I wonder how long that guy keeps his job…?

They questioned Seguin’s character… Me thinks the kid had some growing up to do… and now that this is out of the way, he’s going to light it up. Good thing it’s in another conference!

42. Lafleurguy says:

Someone should invite Rob Ford to post on HIO. His Worship would bring his brand of diplomacy. Does Montreal need a new mayor?

“May you live in interesting times.”

43. @SteverenO

Sorry, I just saw your comment on the last page. I must admit, the stats are pretty compelling. I had no idea that Diaz had been so effective at preventing goals against, or so ineffective on the PP. Thanks for the correction! It’s refreshing to lose an argument to reasoned fact, rather than butting heads with trolls. : )

44. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Bulldogs released Akim Aliu this afternoon…I was hoping he would be future 4th line grit for us. Sorry if this has already been posted.

24 cups and counting….

• montreal ace says:

Habs TO I noticed that today, he fought 1 time and seemed to be a non factor, when I checked out his stats.

• Un Canadien errant says:

He was on a 25-game Tryout contract, and they released him well before it ended and they had to make a decision to offer him a contract. You wonder how he wasn’t worth at least an AHL contract, if they didn’t want to give him one of the 50 contract slots. Did he and his agent prefer to tryout somewhere else for an NHL deal?

It seems like the hot start he had in training camp petered out, but so has the entire Bulldogs team, only Sven Andrighetto, Magnus Nygren and Louis Leblanc lately have been clicking. Still, his size and strength would still come in handy on a smallish roster like the Bulldogs’.

The only thought I had to explain this is that Stéfan Fournier has been playing lately, after starting the season as a healthy scratch, and maybe the Canadiens’ brass wanted to invest the minutes on him rather than Mr. Aliu.

Oh well, it was a no-risk longshot, too bad it didn’t work out, but we didn’t lose anything from it.

45. Chrisadiens says:

Confrontational!? HIO is too confrontational Twi?! That’s it! We’re gonna fight.

Is that irony? I always screw that definition up…

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

46. habs001 says:

If Steen continous his scoring would he be selected for team Canada?

• Mark C says:

I think you mean team Sweden.

• Luke says:

Steen is a Swede by international designation. At some point dual citizens have to pick which nation they’ll represent, and IIRC Steen’s Swedish as far as the iihf is concerned
      Sort of like Hull and Deadmarsh, both born in Canada, playing for the USA.

The only exception I can think of was after the fall of the ussr, Soviet players could play for their ‘New’ countries. Ozolinsh and Irbe are the guys I think of…

47. third generation haber says:

There are 6 Quebecers in the line-up for Colorado 2nite. Montreal media… open fire!!!!!!!!!!

j.p. murray

48. Luke says:

“This is the last game I coach in Colorado.”

49. DipsyDoodler says:

4. As far as hockey enforcers knowing the risks … uhm no. We only recently learned about the brain damage sustained by guys like Probert and and Boogaard. I doubt very much that enforcers who started playing hockey 10-15 years ago “knew the risks”.

• Steven says:

That’s silly. I think any sane person knows taking punches to the head can lead to brain damage, or at least damage of some sort. If you’re not aware there are risks to being an enforcer, you’re not paying enough attention, even if you don’t know that one specific risk is depression, or that another is memory loss.

50. Mr. Biter says:

Just reading about the Ohio State vs Bemidji State recent hockey game which ended with 18 fighting majors and an NCAA penalty record of 303 minutes. Man those WOMEN must really been mad at each other. Hab’s may want to sign some of them for more “Grit”. Trying to find the video.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

51. twilighthours says:

It’s been so confrontational on HIO lately. Twilight is sad.

52. twilighthours says:

Hey, did my silly little comment to Habs prof get a bunch of stuff modded?

53. DipsyDoodler says:

Re: the debate over enforcers.

1. You do need to be physically strong to succeed in the NHL, and especially in the playoffs. But this is independent of intimidation or fighting. Or even hitting. Chara isn’t a particularly fearsome body checker. You do need to be physically able to play very tough hockey every other night for weeks. Unlike the regular season where there are often hitless games like our game vs the Isles last week allowing you to recuperate.

2. Parros has no bearing on team playoff toughness. Parros will never play another playoff game. Or if he does, his team is in deep trouble. Enforcers either sit out the playoffs or when they play it’s a guy like Shawn Thornton who can actually play (I just threw up in my mouth).

2b. Even if Parros plays in the playoffs he doesn’t make his teammates physically stronger. He doesn’t make anyone want to go in the corners and pay the price night after night.

3. The Bruins cup win wasn’t due to intimidation or goonery. In those playoffs if I recall both Bergeron and Horton were seriously injured from opponents’ illegal hits. Also the best players for Boston were Thomas (of course), Krejci (leading scorer), Bergeron, Ryder and Marchand (threw up a little again). Obviously Chara was too, but because of his skill, not really because of intimidation (and again).

• twilighthours says:

1) true

2) true

3) true

4) totally false. The sedins were gooned and intimidated out of the finals. So soff

• Phil C says:

Kesler was a beast in that playoffs until he blew out his hip before the final. He had 5 goals and 11 points in the Nashville series alone. He was playing on one leg against Boston and was largely a non factor. If Kesler had been healthy, I think the final would have been much different.

• Mr. Biter says:

Enforcers may not play much in the Playoff’s , but help you get to the playoff’s.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• DipsyDoodler says:

If Vancouver wins game 7 one of the Sedins gets the Conn Smythe.

And even if it’s true how would an enforcer playing 6 min/game make the Sedins stand up to the Bruins?

• twilighthours says:

Yeah they were great for 3 rounds, horrible in the finals.

And I already agreed with you. Playing a no-talent enforcer plug isn’t going to make the Sedins get punched in the head less.

• Hobie Hansen says:

We’ll be rolling with White, Moen and Prust as our tougher but effective players in the playoffs, likely Murray too. Hopefully we don’t have another demoralizing incident like the line brawl in Ottawa last year or and similar incident with Boston.

54. JM says:

It’s too early to tell how good the AV’s are. They’ve had their way so far in the early part of the season. Things could start changing as the season moves along.

Glad to see Kadri got 3 games, spoke to two Leaf fans tonight, was impressed, both felt he deserved that or more.

• Mark C says:

How did Lucic not get a game for the Miller hit? Glad Kadri got 3, but can’t understand how Lucic got off scot-free.

• Hobie Hansen says:

From what I can remember Lucic hit Miller clean but the pure size and strength of Lucic jolted Miller. Lucic didn’t smoke him with an elbow to the head. Hitting a goalie doesn’t result in a suspension.

Kadri went out of his way to throw all his weight and elbow at Backstrom’s head.

• savethepuck says:

Because the NHL protocol is that when a Bruin does something dirty, nothing happens to them,but it sets a precedent for the disciplinarian idiots to tell other NHLPA members that if it happens again there will be suspensions handed out.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• JM says:

He wears a Campbell jersey.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Boston has deserved suspensions in the past and didn’t get one but not on the Lucic and Miller play, IMO. It was gutless as Miller said but not a suspension.

56. jols101 says:

Blues kicking the crap out of the Avs on the scoreboard and in the alley.

57. Mattyleg says:

This is a bit dumb now.
    Avs trying to goon it up, and getting beaten up in pretty much every fight.

58. JM says:

wasn’t for price Habs wouldn’t have gotten a point. TB way better up front than the Habs and believe it or not they are a better all around team than Anaheim. Like I said before. Don’t let the standings fool yah.

LA won the Stanley cup after finishing in 8th place. Myself I base it on the way a team is playing overall. The Habs is pretty good on the Back end not so good up front.

They should beat Columbus tomorrow night but it won’t be easy.

59. Mattyleg says:

Man, Sobotka just kicked two shades of crap out of Duschene.
    THAT was a good scrap.
    Short, sweet, angry.

60. Mattyleg says:

5-1 Blues over Avs in the second.

Ouch.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Depending on the injury to Quick, St. Louis and Chicago are the teams to beat in the West is my guess.

St. Louis is such a deep and balanced team.

• Mattyleg says:

It’s all about injuries these days, isn’t it?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

I know many are freak, but I so wish the NHL had the foresight to go to Olympic sized rinks about 10 years ago when so many arenas were being replaced. Changes the game dramatically to skating rather than finishing the checks per se.

Yah, the NHL is as much about a battle of attrition as anything else. The fact we were so nicked up early and perhaps are now getting healthy could bode well for us. Other teams are now starting to stack up injuries.

• Mattyleg says:

Totally behind you on the olympic rinks.
            It’s like basketball. People got bigger, had to make the nets higher.
            Look at the average heights, weights, and musculature of NHLers today compared to 30 years ago, and ask yourself why they’re still playing on the same sized ice surface.

An 80-game schedule is folly as well.
            Should be 60.

• Mark C says:

What? Better check the score again. Such games can’t happen to Saint Patrick!

@Eddie, you mentioned down below that there is concerns Parros had a setback. As soon as i saw that Parros took today as a therapy day, I had the same thought.

He did not look nearly as good in the games he has played since the concussion as he did in the first two periods against Toronto. I am very worried that the concussion he suffered in that game could be career ending. He may be able to play in games, but I am not sure he is actually all the way back. i am probably not explaining myself well, but the minute that he hit the ice, I was immediately concerned for him and worried not only about his career as a hockey player but his future ability to live a normal life.

He is probably a great deal like Prust in that, he will say he is okay, when perhaps he is not. I would love to hear it is a nagging shoulder issue, but I too worry this is still concussion related.

• jols101 says:

Well, something isn’t right with him. Taking a therapy day is usually reserved for those with some nasty bumps and bruises from the game the night before. He hasn’t played the last 2 or 3 games. Unless he pulled a hammy in the press box, a set-back from his recent concussion is a very plausible theory.

• Eddie says:

Parros is really a good man, I’ve heard it said. I wish him the best going forward.

I couldn’t watch the game after his injury against Toronto. I was so upset, I literally turned the game off and walked away.

• Phil C says:

There is no way Parros has fully recovered. Even the freakin’ UFC requires a 60 day ban from contact and a 90 day ban from competition following a concussion. Parros came back in 30 days and he was knocked out cold.

62. savethepuck says:

Looks like the crappy team, who is playing without Stamkos, that the Habs managed to luckily get a point from last game, are kicking the crap out of the best team in the West right now. T-Bay 4, Anaheim 1, late in the 2nd. They are obviously playing great hockey right now.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price