Budaj to start for Habs vs. Sens; Beaulieu called up after Murray suspended 3 games

The Canadiens practised at noon Thursday in Florida before boarding a flight for Ottawa, where they will face the Senators Friday night (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

After practice coach Michel Therrien announced that Peter Budaj will start in goal against the Senators. In 22 games this season, Budaj has a 9-8-2 record with a 2.41 goals-against average and .910 save percentage.

The Canadiens learned after practice that defenceman Douglas Murray has been suspended for three games by the NHL for his elbow to the head of Tampa Bay’s Mike Kostka during Tuesday’s 3-1 loss to the Lightning. Kostka has been diagnosed with a concussion. Murray will forfeit $23,076.93 in salary.

Jarred Tinordi practised in Murray’s spot with Mike Weaver as his partner and later in the day the Canadiens announced they had called up defenceman Nathan Beaulieu from the Hamilton Bulldogs. In 54 games with the Bulldogs, Beaulieu has six goals and 19 assists. He has two assists in 16 games with the Canadiens this season.

Josh Gorges, who is out with a broken hand, skated with strength and conditioning coach Pierre Allard before practice and is aiming to return to the lineup on April 9 in Chicago, which will be the final game of Murray’s suspension.

In his last start on March 24, Budaj backstopped the Habs to a 2-1 shootout win over the Bruins in Boston.

“It doesn’t matter what happened on any given day in practice, what matters is what’s going to happen in the game, so you can’t really live based of memories,” Budaj told reporters after Thursday’s practice. “The win against Boston was a big win for our team, but since then we’ve played many good games. We’ve got to regroup after the game against Tampa and go out and get two points against Ottawa. I’m excited about the start. I’m glad I get a chance to play. It’s going to be a good game. Every game against Ottawa is. We’re looking forward to it.”

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at Thursday’s practice:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher
Eller-Briere-Gionta
Bourque-White-Bournival
Parros

Markov-Emelin
Bouillon-Subban
Tinordi-Weaver
Murray

The Canadiens will return home after Friday’s game and face the Detroit Red Wings Saturday night at the Bell Centre.

In other news, David Desharnais is the Canadiens’ nominee for the Bill Masterton Trophy that goes to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey. After picking up only one assist in his first 17 games this season, Desharnais racked up 48 points (15 goals, 33 assists) in his next 57 games. Five Canadiens have won the Masterton award in the past: Claude Provost (1968), Henri Richard (1974), Serge Savard (1979), Saku Koivu (2002) and Max Pacioretty (2012).

Meanwhile, Habs prospect Zachary Fucale took home two trophies from the QMJHL awards banquet Wednesday night. The Halifax Mooseheads goaltender, who was selected by the Canadiens in the second round (36th overall) of last year’s NHL draft, won the Jacques Plante Trophy for posting the league’s best goals-against average (2.26) and the Paul Dumont Trophy as the personality of the year. Another Habs prospect, centre Jeremy Gregoire, won the Marcel Robert Trophy as the scholastic athlete of the year. Former Habs defenceman Patrice Brisebois and current assistant coach Gerard Gallant were inducted into the QMJHL Hall of Fame.

(Photo by Jared Wickerham/Getty Images)

Murray suspended three games for illegal check, NHL.com

Budaj gets the call, Canadiens.com

Desharnais nominated for Masterton, by Pat Hickey

Montreal mayor turns into sports fan on Twitter, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Habs players enjoying extra days off, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

How the Habs made the playoffs, NHL.com

Senators Extra, Ottawa Citizen

Habs’ Stanley Cup odds now set at 22-1, Stu on Sports blog

Lecavalier joins NHL’s 400-goal club, but did Habs need him? Stu on Sports blog

1. jimmy shaker says:

Just got the injury update:

Weezy: still hurt
    Moen: still hurt
    Prust: still hurt till playoffs start
    Gorges: still hurt until wednesday at 7:28pm

hope that helps everyone!

Shaker out!

2. B says:

Desharnais, Paciotretty and Vanek have been together for 10 games now. In that stretch Vanek has 10 points, Pacioretty 10 points and Desharnais 11 points. The team during that 10 game stretch has won 8 and lost 2.

–Go Habs Go!–

3. Mattyleg says:

Hey, are these the Newer Comments?

(looks around)

Nice! Like what you’ve done with them.

4. BriPro says:

Douglas Murray meets with the media after having been punished.

5. BJ says:

Did part of the posts disappear for anyone else?

6. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

So Bernier is out for three weeks. I guess that the Leafs now have their built-in excuse for when they fail to make the playoffs.

7. jimmy shaker says:

The boys have one more set of back to backs after tonight and tomorrow next week. Question: Do all the teams in the league play the same amount of back to back? And I hope that bettman doesn’t screw the boys over by making them play any afternoon games in the first round match up!

Shaker out!

• BJ says:

I would imagine that teams would not react favorably to an imbalanced amount of back to backs vis a vis other teams. My guess (and its only a guess) is that they are probably within 1 or 2 max in amounts of b to b’s
      to each of the 30 teams. * Not confirmed.

8. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

I posted earlier:
    “I repeat, I hope we don’t have a ☀ hangover. “

The responses were quite funny.
    Because all of you were hungover you missed the point.

Translation :
    We = I meant the Habs
    ☀ = Sunshine ie.-They (the Habs) have been in Florida
    Get it. Jumpin Jesus! Bunch of alcoholics. Get some help.
    I kid cause I love you.
    :razz: :grin: :lol: :lol: :grin: :razz:

9. Sportfan says:

Safe to say when we play the lightning the scores will be 2-1. 1-0 and the highest being 3-1 3-2. If both goalies play lights out, it will be a very low scoring affair.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

10. CJ says:

So, it looks like the defensive pairings from Thursday’s practice will prevail again tonight;

76 55
    79 74
    24 43

Therien trusts Frankie. Nate will need to try and win a spot over Tinordi. There appears no chance that the coach would use both in the lineup at the same time. When Gorges is healthy they will fall further down the depth chart.

I’m trying to recall the definition of insanity. Was it doing the same thing over and expecting a different result? You can not pound a square peg into a round hole **** Well, you also shouldn’t tug on Superman’s cape or spit into the wind…. sorry, I digress ***. Frankie and PK are not working well together. The game in Detroit, Florida and Tampa they have been the worst pairing. I understand that this is a subjective statement and everyone sees it differently, but I am sure we can all agree that they are not playing well together.

Sorry for sharing my frustration, but this decision, more than any other this season perplexes me.

• Habfan10912 says:

Glad Emelin and Markov stay together. No comment on PK and Cube.

• frontenac1 says:

Hey Jim! Did I read that Burly had the yips and jingles from consuming to much red wine? He should know that red wine should only be consumed with a fine dinner. Preferably a good steak. After dinner, only good pints and straight liquor,preferably neat. Please have a word with him as I am much too disappointed. Thanks amigo.

• Mattyleg says:

Ha!
          Red wine is a fool’s drink.
          Nothing good ever came of it.
          Nothing.

• frontenac1 says:

A Nice Red can be consumed and enjoyed at dinner to aid the digestion and fortify the blood. But never to excess. Saludos.

Im guilty of the excess part, but did have a great steak dinner with it…. problem was the post dinner drinking continued and continued…..

• jimmy shaker says:

hey CJ, for some reason I think MT get nathan in there tomorrow night and gives frankie the night off. Even though detroit is flying right now and are welcoming back pavel…..I’m thinking you just might find nathan and tinordi out there tomorrow night in the same lineup. Now, will it last more than one game? Probably not, with Gorges coming back on wed. and murray due back the next night.

Shaker out!

• 24 Cups says:

What has Beaulieu done this year that would make anyone think he’s ready to play 20 minutes a night? Most people just assume that he will be an improvement but that may not necessarily be true.

Like it or not, the Habs are going with experience on the back end. It’s been that way since Oct 1st and has helped put the team in a decent playoff spot. Bouillon is the stop gap measure until Gorges returns. It’s not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I agree completely.

The rookie is always greener…

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• CJ says:

Beaulieu, when given the opportunity before the Olympic break was fast becoming our second best defenceman. Despite the team being mired in a horrendous slump, Beaulieu was arguably our second best defenceman. Even backing off that position, he was, at worst, our third best defenceman. At what point this year has Frankie been our second or third best defenceman, based on play over 5-10 games?

I saw something during the game against the Leafs. Beaulieu and Nattien were called up. Beaulieu started the game with Frankie, but by the third period was paired with PK. Despite a loss, Nate was plus 1 and had an assist and looked great with PK on the PP.

You are correct, the team has built their success with veterans in the lineup. I can not argue the results. But, there are so many underlying issues. Surely we can acknowledge that there are concerns with PK and Frankie being together?

• sane hockey fan says:

By what measure was Beaulieu EVER our 2nd best defenseman at ANY point this season?

Talk about the definition of insanity…

• CJ says:

Fair enough. Let’s discuss. During the stretch when he played prior to the Olympic break, where would you have slotted his performance?

Markov and Emelin were underacheiving terribly. Gorges and Murray were steady in their defined roles, but added no offensive flair. Frankie and Weaver were not playing. PK, although struggling, was still our number one.

I rated Nate’s overall performance over that defined time frame as being the second best. I welcome your input.

• mdp2011 says:

No need to fret over this as will not be a playoff pairing. Gorges is back next week.

• CJ says:

I do agree with this post completely. PK doesn’t have the trust of the coaching staff and he has a Norris trophy and is 24 years old. There is almost zero chance that one of either Tinordi or Beaulieu will play in the playoffs. It’s all about trust. Therien trusts the veterans.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Who should play with PK then?

Markov worked early on. Maybe that’s the solution.

Because I don’t think Emelin would work, Murray is too slow, Weaver is the only other rightie (I think), and Tinordi didn’t work that well either.

Also, I think PK deserves most of the blame for his poor play since the Olympics. I can’t imagine someone saying about Weber or Keith that their poor play was due to their partner. Those guys would make their partner better before their partner made them worse.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• CJ says:

I don’t disagree with PK owning a great deal of the blame. People here thought I was crazy when I said Pietrangelo was the better all around defenceman. AP just signed a long term deal for $6.5 million dollars. If I was to do a quick poll, 90% of the forum respondents would support giving PK $8 – $9 million a year. I have never thought that he should be the highest paid defenceman in the league. Again, there is not a single defenceman in the league today with an annual cap hit equal to or greater than $8 million a year. Most of PK’s closest contemporaries are between $5.5 and $7 million.

IMO, I’d try PK with Beaulieu. We have clinched. What is the risk in trying this pairing for a game or two? IMO, I think I know what the risk is….. Beaulieu significantly outperforms Frankie and than the coach is in a tight spot to break up the pairing.

• sane hockey fan says:

Beaulieu outperforming Bouillon over 2 games (which is by no means guaranteed) is definitely not enough of a sample size to put him in for the playoffs IMO.

• CJ says:

That would make sense if it was only two games. Nate has played 16 games this season, has 2 assists and is plus 5. Frankie has played 48 games, has 5 points and is minus 15. Over the stretch before the Olympic break, Nate played very well. Keep in mind that was the worst part of the entire season, as we were consistently getting beaten badly. Nate was a solid player during that stretch and was much more effective than Frankie.

• Therein is where I do not trust Therrien… The Bull over NB or Tiny. Ugh!

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

11. DipsyDoodler says:

I hope Columbus catch either Detroit of Philly (only 2 points back after beating them last night). That way Boston play Philly or Detroit in round one.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• Habfan10912 says:

Detroit will pose a tough matchup to Boston, eh? Howard, who by the way comes from my birthplace, is playing his best hockey of his career. Philly? I don’t know. They don’t do it for me like the Wings.

12. DipsyDoodler says:

Could one reason Beaulieu was mad at being sent back to Hamilton during the Olympic break be the lost income?

Capgeek has him earning $70K in the AHL but $925K in the NHL.

So his choice was go on holidays for two weeks and earn $37,000 or play in the AHL for two weeks and earn $2800. (assuming they are paid on a weekly basis).

By sending him down though the Habs saved a bit of capspace which might have allowed them to add Vanek.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

13. jimmy shaker says:

I think Parros should be in there for either bourque or eller. The usual weasels, smith, neil, gryba and kassian are going to be out in full force.

Beaulieu will get his shot tomorrow vs the wings everyone…..let’s not get crazy. Frankie is a bit tougher than nathan, which might come in handy.

Shaker out

• 24 Cups says:

I know what you’re saying but I was hoping that Parros could get to the end of the year without being put in a situation where he could suffer another concussion.

• jimmy shaker says:

Your right….but if he wants another shot in the NHL next year, he has to get past his tentativeness out there when in tussles. I know it’s easier said than done, with all that is waying on his mind, concussions, future, family etc…..it really must be tough for him. But maybe if he was a bit more aggressive, he might be okay. I don’t really know what I’m saying…..I feel like dr. recchi…….I just like Parros, and wish him well, but basically want him to do what he does really good and not get hurt, help himself and the team. I’m all over the place. I’ll stop now!

Shaker out!

Probable Ottawa Line-up:

16-Clarke MacArthur 7-Kyle Turris 61-Mark Stone

9-Milan Michalek 19-Jason Spezza 83-Ales Hemsky

68-Mike Hoffman 15-Zack Smith 25-Chris Neil

44-Jean-Gabriel Pageau 93-Mika Zibanejad 22-Erik Condra

3-Marc Methot 65-Erik Karlsson

4-Chris Phillips 5-Cody Ceci

46-Patrick Wiercioch 62-Eruc Gryba

40-Craig Anderson

15. Sportfan says:

Renaud Lavoie says Bealieu won’t play tonight

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• CJ says:

Not playing tonight. Also, the team did not do any line rushes. What’s the point of the call up? Maybe tomorrow?

• DipsyDoodler says:

Cover in case someone gets sick?

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• CJ says:

Maybe. I would like to think he was called up as a deficiency was identified. The Detroit game was a mess for PK and Frankie. This hot mess extended into Florida for two games. They are fast becoming are least reliable pairing. What will it take to recognize that Frankie is not helping PK?

16. Mattyleg says:

Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva 41s

Nathan Beaulieu ne jouera pas ce soir. #canadiens #tvasports

17. Sportfan says:

Cammy scored on Bishop last night can we get him back for the playoffs :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

18. petefleet says:

This lineup would be nice to see tonight against the Sens. Lots of size and grit in there and guys playing where they are comfortable. Seriously wondering about the kids and Pleks together. and yes, Eller sits. He’s more useful there.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
    Gionta-Plekanec-Bournival
    Galchenyuk-Briere-Gallagher
    Parros-White-Bourque

Markov-Emelin
    Tinordi-Subban
    Beaulieu-Weaver

“Being on the PP doesn’t make you an offensive threat anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.”
    Henry Ford

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
    Abraham Lincoln

***Go Habs Go***

19. frontenac1 says:

Markov can get nasty when pissed off but fight? Not so good. Here is his last fight at Vityaz. Spiridonov is 2″shorter and 27lbs lighter.
    This why Gillies and Yabbo were around.

20. Steeltown Hab says:

Can we just ice Beaulieu with Subban?

Obvious upgrade over Bouillon.
    Would be the best skating pair.
    You pair Beaulieu with technically the best defensive Dman on the team.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

21. habsguru says:

i hope habs win 3-0, and call a time out with 20 seconds left in the third.

22. CJ says:

Gorges is practicing with the team for the first time following his hand injury.

It is my understanding that Beaulieu told MB that his mother wears army boots.

24. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

I know this won’t be a popular opinion with some, but obsessing over a goon match with Ottawa is pointless.

The “line brawl” was a situational element in a heated playoff series and provoked by a peeved Ryan White at a very inopportune time.

You dress Parros and bring up goons (not that you could with the limited 4? callups rule) and you are asking a goon show against a team that is frustrated and knows that they are out of it.

Play a cool, faceless game, roll your 4 lines, get your two points and move on home.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• frontenac1 says:

Given the current state of our line up you are correct. Just watch out for cheap shots.

• krob1000 says:

This isn’t just about the line brawl…the Sens have bullied the HAbs for years….like the Bruins and Leafs. The Sens had their season ruined pretty well in a very controversial game vs the HAbs, you can bet there was some jawing back and forth going on that game. You can also expect the usual suspects in Smith, Neil, Kassian, to play their normal game and run around with no regard for anyone. At least if you dress someone like Parros….they know they will at least have to respond. NHl fighters do not enjoy fighting I believe…they have a job to do….but they all know they are one punch from not playing again or not being as effective. Knowing they would at least have to answer is somewhat of a deterrent from that stuff…still may get the staged fight (which fighters prefer as they are clear minded and focussed). If they are aware there is noone to challenge them then they can hit whoever they choose and it is the hits and borderline infractions that I worry about. Noone wants to get into a goon fest with the Sens…everyone wants the HAbs to get through the game unscathed with respect to the core of the team.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Krob, I understand your point but the best play for the Habs is to play like Kulemin of the leafs/Russian Olympic team.

They Sens won’t back off if you dress tough guys, it just makes then goonier. Neil Kassian et al will always try to hit …forget the borderline infractions, don’t let things get personal.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

25. Sportfan says:

Omg! Maybe Subban will actually get to rest a bit on the PP

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

26. kerrgte says:

chillax

the summer ufa market will be handily exploited by our man MB.

Les Canadiens will be even stronger next year……. a personal guarantee.

cheers

• shiram says:

Jagr, Iginla, Alfredsson, Stempniak, Vrbatta, Hemsky, Setoguchi, Callahan are the top RW UFA, AFAIK.
      A number of those guys are unlikely to sign here.

27. Mattyleg says:

Had to wipe the tears from my eyes.

HI/O just reported a Fatal Error to me.

I thought we’d lost the old sod…

28. dhenry1234 says:

All of this talk about NB acting “too entitled”.

Does everyone remember a few years ago when people were all saying the same thing about Patches? NB’s passion is a good thing, and I’m sure that His time in the minors is over.

• Mattyleg says:

I agree.
      However, there’s a way to do things, and I think while Max skirted the ‘right’ side of that line, Nate may have tumbled off the edge of the other.

• dhenry1234 says:

If I remember correctly, Max basically said “Take me out of the minors and give me first line minutes or trade me”. I don’t really think that’s considered skirting the “right” side of that line. Keep in mind, I don’t really understand what you mean by saying that. lol.

• CJ says:

As I recall it, he said that if he was not going to play inside the top two lines in Montreal, he was better off staying in Hamilton to develop. He basically said (and I’m paraphrasing) that he was not a third or fourth line player and that his development would be best served as either top line in Hamilton or given top two lines in Montreal.

• HabsPooch says:

Your recollection is bang on. That’s how I remembered it as well.

• krob1000 says:

That is a pretty bold thing to say though…he also at one poitn asked for a call up then got it if I remember correctly. The thing is though he backed it all up…but I remember thinking it was odd that he went unscathed after what the team did with Grabovski and Sergei. Then for Beaulieu to come later and then get slapped seems a bit od. Max definitely has some clout that others did not for some reason. I guess it is no different than what Nygren did…but Beaulieu from waht I can tell basically did the same things as Max or clsoe enough…now MAx idd not have the other incident teh BEaulieus had on his resume…..the fact Nathan haad a non hockey related incicdent is probably a bigger factor and he is probably on a little more of an attitude watch than say Patches or the other guys in the past who also reportedly had non hockey incidents… MAx Apcs were all related to hockey so perhaps that is it?

• Mattyleg says:

I just remember seeing Max saying that, and thinking “there’s a guy who has a burning desire to win” rather than “what a petulant kid”.

The Habs obviously thought the same thing, as they gave him his chance and he took it.

It seems like (from reports from Brisebois and others close to the team) Beaulieu’s reaction was interpreted as being less about intensity and more about petulance.

From what I’ve heard. Can’t say for sure, might be totally wrong.
          Broken telephones, and all that…

• CJ says:

I don’t recall him ever saying anything about being traded, asking for a trade or demanding a trade.

• Mattyleg says:

No, there was no ‘trade me’. It was what you said above, about preferring to play top-6 minutes in Hamilton to bottom-6 in Montreal.

• CJ says:

Agreed Matty. We remember it the same way. You can see how these things grow legs though…. Everybody remembers something different.

• krob1000 says:

I think it is more a case of that if Max had done that with this regime he would have been handled like BEaulieu. Max said eh would rather paly top line mintues in the AHL then plkay 3rd or 4th line in the NHL…not many gusy get away with saying something like that. Whatever NB did it wasn’t made public…MAxPAc found himself in a few different controversies back then remember as well at least one other about being sent down.

29. adamkennelly says:

I know that Parros is done but he should really be dressed tonight – just in case. Give him one shift and then sit his ass down…not about fighting Kassian or Neil but about letting walrus face know that if you f around with any of our skilled guys – we have a guy of no use to us who may be willing to take Karlsson’s head off.

30. HabsPooch says:

Taking a look at next year’s roster. If Vanek doesn’t re-sign and Gionta is let go, we have nothing on the right side except for Gallagher and Weisse. We will be in desperate need of a number one and number three right winger…

• Luke says:

Moulson.

I think Bournival can play the right side too.
      I think he’s my new favourite. He seems so versitile. Like a mini-Bergeron.
      (no pressure, Bournie)

• rhino514 says:

I like Bournival, but he seems to be a shy little kid who will have trouble handling high pressure situations. He has obvious ability, but as soon as expectations with him were raised after his explosive start, he scored, what, one goal the rest of the tear? For now I love him on the fourth line, and as a replacement for injuries on the top nine.
      If it came down to letting Gionta go and signing Vanek, i would let the captain go. But the chances are Vanek does not want to re-sign here anyway, so it´s a moot point.
      Gionta is a real tough call. He sets a great example for the rest of the young guys and is a great character guy, but can he really be productive on the third line for two more years? That´s the minimum term he would most likely accept.
      I think, more than any other guy, how ell he performs in the playoffs is going to dictate his future. I say more than any other guy, because from what I hear the habs are unlikely to let Briere go until his contract is over, which is perplexing, since he is extremely cheap to buy out because he is a former buyout.

31. BJ says:

How much of an advantage is home ice advantage? Do we ease off and rest veterans or go for it?

32. Phil C says:

Re: Defense pairings

These have to be the top four for the playoffs:

Gorges-Subban
    Markov-Emelin

They have been playing together most of the season, this is not a time to start juggling pairings, especially since the RD pairing with Markov has no obvious candidate other than Emelin. I wish the Habs had picked up a top-four RH defensemen, but it didn’t happen so this is what they have.

For the bottom pairing, my choice against Tampa would be Beaulieu-Weaver. Beaulieu can play 2nd wave the PP and Weaver on the PK with Gorges.

I find it a little concerning that Beaulieu plays better with the Habs than the Bulldogs. There is either a problem with his attitude or a problem with the coaching staff in Hamilton. Normally someone who is ready for the NHL has good AHL numbers. However he seems to fill the team needs the most on the bottom pairing. If he starts playing well, maybe you could give him more ice-time, but it would be crazy to just throw him into the top pairing without earning it first.

• bwoar says:

I agree with your top 4, I think it’s the consensus choice.

Good ol’ Breezer did explain a couple days ago that Beaulieu sulked it up when he was sent down during the Olympics. Likely he figured he was in line for a little vacation on the big club’s payroll. He’s gonna be slow to mature, but, when you look at his dad, it’s not a surprise.

• BJ says:

I read the interview in La Presse. The sense was that it was not getting Olympic vacation time that was the problem but Tinordi being called up instead of him. I can understand his reaction as I thought the Murray-Beaulieu combo worked well together and got the puck up the ice.

• habsguru says:

it could be the other dog’s players too. if he is not well received, and I don’t know that he is or isn’t, it would certainly affect his success.

• bwoar says:

I was surprised at how well that pairing worked, we could certainly see it again but both of NB and Tinordi can’t be in the lineup at once when Gorges returns.

• HabsPooch says:

Not necessarily…I’ve seen players have better numbers in the NHL than AHL. Beaulieu just plays better when he’s surrounded by good players. Saint John’s is another example…
      I would love to see him on the second pairing powerplay…just makes sense.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Well, Gorges has played way more than 100 games on the right with Markov while Emelin still struggles on the right. On the other hand anyone can play with Subban, so this would be my choice.

Emelin – Subban
      Markov – Gorges
      Beaulieu – Weaver

Tinordi – Pateryn

Everyone except Gorges who´s nearly as effective on the right would play his natural side. Each pair would have one dman who can really move the puck and another one who can hit or play well defensively. I could also live with Gorges-Subban, Markov-Emelin, Beaulieu-Weaver but I like the first option better. No more players like Bouillon or Murray who shouldn´t be in the NHL anymore would be the most important thing. Unfortunately that´s not very realistic with this head coach.

33. 24AW says:

Hockey is not Hockey anymore it’s a business. Name of the game try and keep the seats full if you can do that you have succeeded, Playoffs is a bonus and the longer you can hang in there means money, every round is extra, should you win the cup, that’s your reward for keeping the seats filled and you are the best this time around.

34. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

I repeat, I hope we don’t have a ☀ hangover.

“I feel good
    I knew that I would now
    I feel good, I knew that I would
    So good, so good
    I got you”

GoHabsGo

I have one today……

• Mattyleg says:

I do too, a bit.
        I think it may have been the sushi at 10:30pm, though…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Not sure I “needed” all that red wine last night.

• Hobie Hansen says:

No hangover for me today! Had one on Wednesday morning though…

I would never drink red wine on a work night Burly. Or hard stuff!

I just downed a few too many tall cans watching the TB/Habs game.

• Luke says:

Yes. Yes you did.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Lol, was there some sort on incident on here initiated by me on Tuesday night Luke? I can’t even remember if I logged onto the live game chat lol.

• Luke says:

Not that I know of, Hobie, you ninja’d my reply to Burly.

• Luke says:

I wish.
          I haven’t been able to stomach a beer this week.
          (Yes, I’ve tried. I’d never make such a claim without research to back it up).
          It’s been basically a soup diet since Sunday.
          I haven’t been able to take time off of work either due to some awesomely fun meetings & training I am unable to miss.

It’s been bad enough that I told the fellas to find a replacement for me for the Craft Beer Festival tomorrow…

(Sad Face).

I’m hoping for a miraculous recovery.

Jagermeister, a cure all.

• Mattyleg says:

I’ll do everything in my power to make sure you make it to that Craft Beer Festival, Luke.

As Agnostic God is my witness.

• Luke says:

Thanks for the support guys!
            I’m gonna do all that I can do to make sure HI/O is represented, and potentially (probably) embarassed.

• frontenac1 says:

Hangover? You mean Mornings?

• Hobie Hansen says:

HA! I didn’t used to get hangovers when I was a bartender and drank like a fish every night. Now that I have a boring job that involves waking up early I can only pound them back a couple nights a week. I actually get hangovers now and they hurt! Would be nice if I could have a mini fridge under my desk and maybe a bottle of scotch or whiskey.

• frontenac1 says:

I always had a bottle of whiskey and cigars in my office amigo. Some of my clients appreciated a drink and a smoke when they came to see me. Then , The Health Nazis stopped the Cigars.

• Mattyleg says:

Totally!
          It’s more about reawakening dormant booze back in the day vs. introducing a relatively foreign substance into the bloodstream now.

I have a couple of beers (pints usually) per night, but rarely more.
          When I do push out the boat, it’s a slow, sad, following day.

35. ont fan says:

Vail says clock is ticking for him to sign a contract. There is no word about signing. The Habs wanted another look before they made any decisions. They want to be confident which ever way they go. I have 8 games to show them I’m worth it.

• bwoar says:

Bet on him being signed.

• krob1000 says:

Would be crazy to let him go…he is known as a strong defensvie forward…and then he put up 80 some points this year. He will be signed if he wants to be signed…how much and how long is the question.

• Phil C says:

I though entry level contracts are not really negotiated, the CBA has pre-set parameters for ELCs, so it should be either sign or don’t sign, but I’m not sure.

• krob1000 says:

I believe there is a 3 year max and an upper and lower limit with bonuses

• CJ says:

There are parameters, however there is still a negotiation regarding the length and dollar value within these parameters. Bennett just signed a two year deal, while others like Big Mac signed for three years.

36. habs-fan-84 says:

The Black Ace has been called up! Sweet!

37. krob1000 says:

This might be a good game to test Beaulieu..and rest Markov and not risk injury for him at the same time. Give the team a bit of a preview of Tinordi, Pk and Beaulieu trio, having Beaulieu in IMO is a must given the Sens have nothing to lose and will likely be on the physical prowl tonight. Markov and Price ar ehte two guys I am most worried about the Sens targeting…MT realized it with Price and is playing Budaj….but I think Markov would be the ideal guy to remove.

Positives,
    -Beaulieu will get a chance to play some pp, Beaulieu can get some big mintues and be tested, same with Tinordi re the minutes.
    -Bouillon and TInordi are the next two toughest dmen…they shoulld both be in the lineup IMO.
    -Markov could use the rest and is not vulnerable.

Negatives- I don’t see any.

Pk-Tinordi
    Bouillon-Beaulieu
    Emelin-Weaver

I truly do not care about this game…just get thorugh it healthy..that is my only concern…..don’t care about score at all

• BJ says:

I’d go along with that.

• frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! Sens might get nasty tonight. Keep yer Heads up boys! Should have called up Tarnasky,McIver and Dumont and sat some of our regulars. Tiny,Whitey and Nate will have to keep the peace tonight. Saludos!

• DipsyDoodler says:

Markov can handle himself. I’d be more worried about a rookie getting drawn into a fight.

For me the best outcome tonight is a dull game that we win 2-0.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• krob1000 says:

Not sure I can agree with this logic…MArkov does nto fight at all…Tinodi already can go with heavies and hold his own. Beaulieu isn;t going to have to fight and is not worht being targetd byt he Sens at this point..he just cgot called up. If the Sens want to play spoilers and hurt MOntreals chances of succeeding in the post season(and I am sure they probably do)…they wouldtarget Price, Markov and PK. Budaj is in and PK needs to play and can;t be sat out but he can be given the teams next toughest partner(who happens to be Tinordi rookie or not). Markov can be sat out simply in the name of rest heading down the stretch..and he is the kety to everyhting on the back end for Montreal. Markov also got hit pretty hard last game, his skating has looked much better of late,etc….he could end up peaking for playoffs…but he will absolutely be a target for the Sens trio of Zack Smith, Chris Neil and Matt Kassian on every forecheck….and the only guy the Habs can even dress who stands a chance there is Tinordi.

• Butterface says:

I agree, but I am not ready to throw Markov to the press box. I want home ice for the first round. It will be a tight series and we need all the advantages we can get. Markov can handle himself.

***********************
      If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
      ***********************

38. Habs_101 says:

Next TWO games should be;

Markov – Beaulieu
    Emelin – Subban
    Tinordi – Weaver

With JG returning for the third game;

Markov – Gorges/Beaulieu
    Emelin – Subban
    Tinordi/Gorges – Weaver

Gorges should replace whichever of the two is outplayed. I suspect Beaulieu would stay, he adds a second threat on the point on the PP which is non-exsistant with FB.

GO HABS GO!

• Habfan10912 says:

I think I’d keep Emelin and Markov together. They’ve been playing their best hockey of late. Tinordi – Weaver is interesting.

• bwoar says:

That’s insane. The crushing on Beaulieu around here will last until he costs us a goal.

• Habfan10912 says:

He probably has the highest skill set of anyone not named PK. That said, his defensive game leaves a lot to be desired. People like me who see the skill can t help but have a bit of a crush.

• BJ says:

You have that right Jim. I haven’t sen a fluid skater like that on the Habs since I don’t know when. His skating and offensive upside reminds me of a Paul Coffey “light”.

• bwoar says:

Eh, it’s normal, that’s what fans do. The young kid who’s shown some good things will always be better in the mind’s eye than the tired vet we’ve seen get outplayed.

I think NB is probably better than Boullion right now, honestly. But N8 the Gr8 is probably not.

Being a “win at all costs” guy I’d probably have to put the kid in regardless of what his attitude is this morning, but I’m loathe to reward any kind of illusions of entitlement.

Traditionally, once you’re in the dance it’s a good time to see what the kids have in the tank – I just hope that folks temper their expectations a little bit. The ardour for Tinordi has lowered steadily as we watch his game (though his game is getting steadier lately) and so it may go with NB, or he may just kill it out here.

But putting him down for 1st line minutes with Markov? C-r-a-z-y. It’s pretty much the apex of fan love so I just wanted to take the time to point out that we’re not in Sega hockey mode here.

• frontenac1 says:

Not a bad fighter for a young lad too Jim.

• Habs_101 says:

In my honest opinion Bealieu is already a much better player than Emelin, Boullion, Tinordi, and Murray.

His defensive lapses are so overrated its mind boggling. The last three times he has been up with the big club he has been our third best defensemen, clearly. He needs time and exposure, we have a few games coming up that really, in the grand scheme of things, mean very little. Get the kids as much exposure as possible right now. Its a very rare luxury to have a play-off spot secured for this team, and still have time to get the rookies lots of ice against playoff caliber opponents.

GO HABS GO!

The force is strong around these parts as it relates to young Nathan.

Suits me fine.

We have got to get PK away from Frankie. His play has been on a downward spiral since they were joined together. I also have no issue breaking up Markov and Emelin. I thought that they were very good against the Bruins, but have struggled dating back to January. The last great game I recall them playing together was against the Hawks in January.

The great thing about Weaver is that he is playing in position (5/6), which has helped to showcase him in a very favorable light. I like pairing him with Tinordi, as it allows Tiny to play the left side.

In any event, it’s the coaches choice, not mine. I am looking forward to seeing what happens.

• HabsPooch says:

Agreed. For those who watched the Bruins-Leafs game last night, notice how Julien kept on playing Hamilton after his huge screw up behind the Bruins net that cost them a goal. Rookies make huge mistakes at times but what better way to correct them by giving them more playing time and showing them encouragement. Tinordi should have been given the same treatment.

• krob1000 says:

In fairness…Bruins hav ehad flexibility all season long sitting at the top of the standings….Habs were in a horrible spot and in danger of missing out on playoffs when Tinordi mess ups happened. Could go either way but can’t compare Bruins and Habs ability to ease a rookie in…and Hamilton is a notch or two above Tinordi.

• BJ says:

Veterans make huge mistakes as well. This “break them” idiotic mind set is old school. Maybe Bergevin who was a very mediocre defenseman needs to play an ego game or is it MT who in his profound psychological wisdom is trying to make him a “better person”. I can understand to have some guidelines for the younger players coming up but certainly not to destroy their enthusiasm. Edmonton may be an example of letting the kids take over the house but I don’t think there is any worry about that on this team.

• bwoar says:

Best to not try and read things too far into the minds of management.

There’s still the need to “break them” of bad habits they stubbornly hang on to because they can get by on talent. It’s the difference between being a star player and being an elite player, when the talent is there.

39. CJ says:

Good morning folks.

I am eagerly awaiting news on this evening’s lineup. I hope that Beaulieu gets a chance to play. Otherwise, I hope he gets the nod tomorrow night. Ideally both he and Tinordi will be in the lineup. If given the chance, it will be entirely on the kids to perform.

Ottawa is a dangerous team. They really haven’t much to play for, so will likely be loaded for bear. As Ray Ferraro suggested yesterday afternoon, Ryan White can’t fight them all, but he can tell Karlsson and Turris that if things get out of control he will target them.

I like the call with Budaj. Going forward I hope the team gives him every other game so that Price is fresh for the post season.

We are heading to the cottage this afternoon, so I will be driving right past the CTC. Much like the Carp dump, it is an epic eyesore. I have always said that it looked like a salmon can. Following the game tonight, I hope the Senators swim with the fishes!

Enjoy, CJ

• HabsPooch says:

Unfortunately after White there’s no other threat on our team CJ. Moen, Weisse, Prust, Murray are all out. Parros for his own safety should retire and Tinordi I’m sure doesn’t want to be sitting for five minutes when he only logs ten minutes a game. He needs to play.
      I am cringing about tonight’s game. Ottawa has nothing to lose but we have everything to lose!
      I’ll be crossing my fingers for no casualties tonight.

• CJ says:

Agree on all points. We can’t try and fight them, as we haven’t the personel to win those exchanges. We need to focus on hockey and getting out with the two points and no injuries.

My suggestion with White is simply a last resort.

• HabsPooch says:

I heard on the radio about Ferraro’s suggestion. Yes I agree if we had the big bodies back. I just fear Neil will be reckless out there not to mention their other thugs.

• BJ says:

White is barely a light middleweight and he tried to fill the roles of Parros/Prust and it completely took away from his game. He has played well in this years role when called upon and should be reminded to stick to that. Bergevin still needs to go out and find a real and younger heavyweight that can skate. Whenever I see Parros come on the ice I feel the worse is about to happen and I’m actually quite relieved when he makes it back to the bench. Agreed with CJ that he should retire and hopefully the Habs have retired him from this season.

God damnit, CJ. It’s 8:12 am and I am craving burgers.

41. mdp2011 says:

This is great, the angry Claude Juliens.

42. Butterface says:

Well lets see if they play Beaulieu.

They should to get an idea of what he can do and have a better understanding of whether he is ready for a playoff game over Tinordi and Boullion.

If they are just calling him up to sit him in the press box or on the bench I will be disappointed. They should try to get at least 10 minutes out of him.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

• Phil C says:

Wouldn’t surprise me that he is just an injury call up until Murray is back.

• Butterface says:

Would not surprise me either since so far they have not given Beaulieu a look after he did quite well on his 5 games.

Beyond silly considering the large mistakes Tinordi had been making. I think Tinordi will be fine, but I think Beaulieu is the better player and should be the one benefiting from NHL experience now, not Tinordi.

Likely to do with size. But Beaulieu was contributing offensively and had been a plus player.

I am not the expert, so I have to assume the Habs know what they are doing, but I am not in agreement.

***********************
        If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
        ***********************

• Timo says:

Sorry, not Bouillon. Are you saying Habs replace a top 2 dman with an unproven rockie? Come on. Even Therrien is not that dumb.

• Butterface says:

I know. Without Boullion in the line up we might not even be in the playoff picture, but I say roll the dice. At some point we have to stop draining the petty cash to buy Advil and start playing the young bucks at the farm.

***********************
        If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
        ***********************

43. Paz says:

Keys to Habs success

1) shutdown line to stop Stamkos, and take away his one timer on the power play

2) secondary scoring, Cooper is a fine coach and he can stop a one line offence

3) power play must click with some consistently

4) Price plays like he has all year

• Phil C says:

Good points. Like the Habs, Tampa are also a good team in transition, so they will also have to manage the puck well, especially in the neutral zone. That’s why I think Therrien will stick with his vets on defense.

44. HammerHab says:

@ CJ Sorry for the delay…I’m a bit slow ;) Yesterday you had posted:

“If we would have brought up Beaulieu and committed to him from day 1 – agreed to live with his mistakes and pair him with PK (on the correct side) – than at the deadline we would be in a position to make a decision on Markov. If the decision was – after 60 games that Beaulieu was not ready and not anticipated to be ready next year, I can live with that. No problem whatsoever. However, by not bringing him along and testing it out, we have mismanaged this porfolio and it will cost us. Imagine buying a new corvette convertible and not testing it in fourth or fifth gear? That’s what we have done with Nate on the third pairing, on his wrong side.”

I understand what you’re saying, but at the same time some prospects you have to develop slowly. Some guys you can’t just throw on there like the Leafs did with Luke Schenn, a guy with a higher upside and pedigree when he was drafted than Beaulieu. I’d rather bring him up for a few games with sheltered minutes and opposition until he is ready. As for your Corvette analogy, if you were to take out a brand new Corvette that has never been driven before (like a guy who has never played in the NHL before) and immediately go up to 4th and 5th gear (throw him on the top pairing against top opposition) you would ruin the pistons and the engine would be done. You used Dougie Hamilton as an example, however Chara is probably the only defenseman in the league I would be comfortable with pairing a young rookie with on the top line. I hate the guy but the truth is he would take away much of the defensive responsibility off his D partner and we just dont have a guy like that on our defense. Slow and steady wins the race in developing defenseman.

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

Good morning Hammer.

Thank you for taking the time to offer a reply. You have made a number of great points. I like, and agree, with what you are saying regarding Chara. It provides Boston such an advantage to have that solid post firmly planted into the ground. Everything seems to work around this stability. Hamrlik was the same way with Phaneuf in Calgary. Unfortunately, we don’t have that guy.

I think the notion of being over ripe as opposed to under ripe makes a great deal of sense. Detroit is a perfect example. I am not advocating for complete youth integration, however I would have thought one of our prospects would have been ready to take that step. IMO, Pateryn was the most mature physically and mentally.

Luke Schenn was nearly ruined in Toronto and although I think the deal for JVR greatly favored the Leafs, Schenn is really playing much better this year. He is a physical presence on the back end and is doing a very good job right now, eating up big minutes in key situations.

In closing, maybe I am reaching for the moon. Perhaps it is best to carry on with Frankie and Murray over Beaulieu and Tinordi. In such a case I think we are putting the future ahead of the present. In doing so, are we forgoing a chance to win right now? I don’t know. I am looking forward to seeing what the team decides to do this evening. I hope that Beaulieu was going to get the call regardless of whether or not Murray was suspended. IMO, Frankie is not able to hang with PK and all that it’s done is suck the juice out of PK’s lemon.

In any event, I thank you again for the reply. I love talking hockey with Habs fans and sincerely appreciate all points of view. It provides me an opportunity to reflect on my position and course correct – sometimes :) Cheers, Cj

• Habfan10912 says:

Hiya CJ. Enjoy the day at the cottage. I wish Tinordi and Nathan B were both given bigger roles this season as well. I yield to Bergivin and company though. Many members of his team were thought of highly in the player development field. I hope they’re right.
        My thought going in was Tinordi was better defensively and coming out of a decent performance late last season, he was a lock for the #6 dman spot. That way next season Nathan can come in and your not breaking two rookie dman in the same season.
        I guess I’ll trust MB and his team of experts. But I reserve the right to criticize. :)

• CJ says:

Hi Jim. I basically see it the exact same way. I had hoped it would unfold the way you have described, but it is still not too late. It’s totally on the kids now. If given the chance, they both need to seize the moment “carpe diem”

• HammerHab says:

The problem with Schenn in Toronto is that they leaned too heavily on him and he wasn’t ready for it. The best thing for him was to get traded, just like it was the best thing for me to get fired from that crappy job 8 years ago, hate to think I’d still be stuck there now. As for our Pateryn something tells me he won’t cut it in the NHL. I dont have anything to back that up, just a personal opinion. My dream defense in a couple years, assuming only players within the organization now are on the team and Markov is in his last year:

Even strength
        Tinordi-Subban
        Beaulieu-Emelin
        Markov-Gorges
        Murray(or a Murray type)

PP
        Beaulieu-Subban
        Markov-Emelin

PK
        Tinordi-Subban
        Markov-Gorges/Murray(or a Murray type)

You have a blend of offense and defense, skill and physical presense on each pairing. Players are playing their correct side (except on the Markov-Emelin pairing but they’re pretty good playing together). When Markov retires you put Gorges/Murray together for a true defensive shutdown/PK pairing. In the system you have guys like Pateryn or Thrower to come up for a defensive replacement and Nygren or Bennett to fill in as an offensive replacement.

Now with that said if I were running the show, next year Beaulieu would be up full time and paired with Markov on the second pairing. Subban and Emelin on the top pairing eating up the minutes. Tinordi would also be up part time on the 3rd pairing in a rotation with Gorges/Weaver/Murray as I think both he and Beaulieu will be ready, especially if they get a few playoff games under their belt this year.

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• CJ says:

The pairings look good to me.

Funny thing about Pateryn. Guy scored 6 goals in over 125 career NCAA games. He moves up to Hamilton and now has 20 goals in 99 games. He may never be an everyday player, but he could yet be a dependable replacement if injuries strike. Next year will be huge for Pateryn. I am not yet ready to give up on him yet. Watching guys like Miller in Boston this year at 25 finally getting a shot, there is lots of hope yet.

45. montreal ace says:

I was hoping that the Habs were going to sign a NCAA free agent, is it because MB is not interested, or the free agents themselves.

46. jimmy shaker says:

So can our pundits on here give us the updates on Weezy, Moen and Prust. Are they all going to be ready for the dance? Gorges back Wednesday will be nice!

Shaker out!

47. WindsorHab-10 says:

Hoping we leave Ottawa in good health. I don’t trust the Sens. Nice to see Beaulieu called, hopefully he gets a chance to play & impress.

• adamkennelly says:

I agree..I got a picture of the playoff line brawl in my head – with Whitey getting shit pounded and no one else with any fighting prowess in sight. Habs are missing 99% of their toughness…not good.

48. jimmy shaker says:

Big habs win tonight.
    C-bus over hawks
    wings over sabres
    caps over devils in OT or SO

This outcome would really please all the taranna fans and everyone who is thinking they still have a shot!

Looks like beaulieu will come in for frankie tomorrow night vs wings.

Shaker out!

49. L Elle says:

Interview with Bozon in Montreal. Sorry if posted before.

In good spirits. Has made great progress even after losing 30 pounds. CH doctors checked him out and CH dentist fixed his broken teeth. Headed back to France, and will spend time in a rehab centre.

Such a great story of recovery!

• montreal ace says:

Great post all the best to the young Bozon

• CJ says:

Thank you for sharing. I am so happy for the young man and his family. There is a major road ahead, but he has the support and strength of an entire fanbase. I would love to see him step on the Bell Centre ice one day. I will be there, with family to cheer him on!

Truly an inspirational story. Thank you again for sharing. Cheers, CJ

• Rad says:

That has got to be the Habs Feel-good story of the year — it’s a story that transcends the game. I hope the kid makes it onto Montreal ice one day, we will all be rooting for him!

50. 4 hours from Minneapolis, weather sucks as much here as it does in Canada.

LISTEN UP PEOPLE, TURN UP YOUR HEARING AIDS

ok that’s all I got.

GO HABS GO

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

51. Mattyleg says:

Morning tout le monde!

Good chuckle on TSN690 this morning, turns out that Gerard Gallant usually wins any shooting competition that the Habs have -precision, power.

Nuts, eh?

Thanks for your responses to my post about DD yesterday, btw.

It’s Friday, and I have a deadline de l’enfer for next Wed, so this weekend is only going to be two more days for me… :(

52. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Patches has 35 goals, Kessel 36 — and Patches has played 10 fewer games :)

Flip Briere and Pleks come playof time and you’ve got a shutdown Stamkos line :)

53. Hobie Hansen says:

I think last night was the first night I’ve every cheered out loud for a Bruins goal. It kinda made me sick that a yelp came out of my mouth when Lucic scored.

On the flip side, boy is Lucic due for a serious beating. He was lined up at the face off circle and before the puck was dropped he knocked a Leafs player on his ass. Like I’ve seen him do against the Habs.

A moment or two later he gets tangled up with Clarkson, drops the gloves and destroys him with two punches. Normally that’s a great thing when it happens to a Leaf except that it was a Bruins player and on top of it…Lucic. Man I hate that guy.

I like a good hockey fight and tough guys as some of you may know. In saying that, I do believe its just too dangerous and the rational side of me believes it should be taken out. However, I hope its around long enough for someone is a Canadiens uniform to beat Lucic to a pulp and break that big nose of his.

Is McCarron or Crisp going to be able to do so? Maybe Tinordi in a couple more years when he puts on another 20 pounds? Maybe right now if Lucic has the balls to drop’em with Crankshaft?

I seriously hope so!

• Mattyleg says:

Lucic doesn’t have the stones to throw ‘em with Murray.
      He turned down a fight last night with a tough guy, if I’m not mistaken…

• RetroMikey says:

That’s called DISCIPLINE & COMPOSURE.
        Talk about that awesome goal he scored.
        What grit and character in Lucic.
        Super Serb!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• mike3131 says:

Wow you really belong on Bruins or Leafs Inside/Out. Do you ever have ANYTHING remotely positive to say about our (you call yourself a Habs fan?) team?? And God forbid if you ever had to criticize the Bruins/Leafs.

• RetroMikey says:

The Bruins go about quietly doing their business in winning hockey games. Ultimate team IMO, speed, skill, grit, character and tough. They are gonna be around for another 2 or 3 years as Cup Contenders.
            The Leafs are the Leafs, high expectations from fans season after season. But on the right path with young prospects on the farm and drafter North American grit players.
            The Habs are……well same thing like Leafs fans, high expectations from fans season after season. No real prospects on the farm with Hamilton, drafting small players instead of players who are big with character and grit.
            I just want a winner in Montreal…..not we are 2 or 3 years away from being a contender….I’ve heard this before and before.

I want changes, major changes in Montreal.

BIG IS BETTER!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• RetroMikey says:

So you are wishing McCarron, Tinodi or Crisp to be groomed to be the same type of player in Lucic?
      I like that!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Hobie Hansen says:

Same type of player? Where did you get that from? I just want one of them to break his nose.

• RetroMikey says:

Why would that bother you about Lucic?
          Every team has a “rat”.
          I’m sure many would want to break Murray’s nose as well what he did to Kostko in Tampa Bay.
          Players are more dirtier and cheap shot artist.
          Live with it.
          Personally, the NHL is a goon league, thank Bettman for how he destroyed how hockey is suposed to be played, with speed and skill.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

54. jamman says:

Its time to send the sorry ass sens packing.

I am Spartacus!!!! GAAAAAAAAAAA*chops off gryba’s head*AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

Today we sit 3rd in our 15 team conference!
    And 9th place in the 30 team league.

And we had a most exciting team to enjoy this season. They do get by, by the skin of their teeth, and on Price’s back most of the games. But they sure keep us guessing and on the edge of our seats.
    I do not know how far they will take us this post season, but they were a great entertainment for me, this snowy and very cold winter!
    Se you all in Montreal”s next HIO Summit! I will announce which game we are going to, once the new scheduled comes out in July. Be sure to get your Summit weekend money order to me this summer! Last year we had 240 HIO members attend!
    Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

• CJ says:

I am looking forward to the pleasure of meeting new friends that weekend. I was told I better start saving my money now…..

• habs44 says:

Hi everyone,

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted. Hope everyone is well.

I was just looking at an array of mock drafts. We’re going to be selecting in and around the 20th overall portion of the draft. For all you draft guru’s, who are some names you’d like to see chosen by the Habs?

Personally, I’d love to see one of the swedes chosen. Either Anton Karlsson or Adrian Kempe. Both are said to be aggressive fore checkers with size and offensive abilities. Find a way to get both…..throw in De La Rose and have an amazing third line of hard nosed swedes at 6’2 and 200 pounds.

Links to other mock drafts would be great for further debates.

Thanks.

• Habs_101 says:

*16 team conference… new format

14 in west
      16 in east

Even better job!

GO HABS GO!

• Habs_101 says:

Its late but what about one last tweak;

Patch – DD – Vanek (ALL OFFENSE)
      Galchenyuk – Eller – Gallagher (OFFENSE 2)
      Briere – Plek – Gionta (SHUTDOWN)
      Prust – Bournival – Weiss (ENERGY)

In the late second and third of games when we are leading, switch Briere with Bournival or Prust for more defense.

Speaking of which what is the injury status on Prust, Weiss, Moen? Any chance we see any/all of them back before the playoffs?

GO HABS GO!

56. 24AW says:

Here’s a song for the Habs tonight!

57. JF says:

Ben Bishop, who was absolutely lights-out before the Olympics with a save percentage of better than .930, is only just over .900 since that time. Yet we still managed to score only one goal on him. Last night, the Calgary Flames, a team that works hard but has little offensive talent, put three by him (I think the fourth was an empty-netter).

Unless we can figure out a way to score on Bishop (which we also couldn’t do last year when he was a Senator), I foresee a very frustrating and ultimately unsuccessful series. The Lightning will use their aggressive forecheck to prevent our establishing any flow through the neutral zone, and Bishop will go on stoning us. I wouldn’t be surprised if Tampa won in six games, with at least one of them being a shutout.

• Sad assessment but true. I can’t figure it out either. We don’t show up for the game this week, or frankly any of them this year and all the talking heads say we are evenly matched with Tampa.

Which Habs team will show up? The one that popped Ottawa’s cherry, or the one that played this week? That’s what is frustrating about this years version of the team (actually, it’s been a common refrain in the last 20 years. Can we play 60 minutes?).

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• Cal says:

No worries, because the playoffs are a very different animal than the regular season. Bishop has been starting too many games and he isn’t used to it. He will be out of gas.
      One other thing. I don’t believe the Habs played anywhere near their best in the last meeting. Price sent a strong message.
      Habs in 6.

• RetroMikey says:

Tampa Bay in 6.
        Bishop will handle the playoffs just fine.
        We just are not big enough to compete in the gruelling, physical play in the playoffs.
        But it’s nice to dream Cal as you have done in previous years.
        I like your passion.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• L Elle says:

Looking at the highlights, the 1st goal was a gift to Cammallerri via a mishandled puck by Bishop. The 2nd goal was just as mishandled.

I think the last game wasn’t so much that Bishop stoned our forwards, but that they really didn’t make his life difficult with quality scoring chances.

I think Flames were lucky, and our Habs just didn’t show up, except for the usual suspect(s).

I’m sure, or hope, playoffs will be different.

• JF says:

It is too often the case that our forwards don’t make the goaltender’s life difficult. It was the same story every time we played the Lightning this year. We’ll have to start doing something different.

• L Elle says:

Totally agree.

Hopefully, Vanek and line mates will find the creativity necessary to score against Tampa. Pleks and the rest need to step it up too.

If they score only 1.8 goals like they did against Ottawa last year, well, we’re in trouble.

• DipsyDoodler says:

The top line has to be less fancy. They were trying to do too much.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• frontenac1 says:

Corey”where is he now?” Connacher.

• Strummer says:

Enjoyed Letterman in the ’80’s. He was funny and innovative..
      Now he is a decade or more past his “best before date”
      The grumpy old man/office pervert thing ain’t workin’.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

58. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all! I wonder if MT will give Tinordi the assignment with PK? Cube and PK does not work. PK’s game has not been good for a while now. Being paired with Franky did not help. Give Tinordi a shot there and see what happens. Can’t be any worse, no?

• Cal says:

Definitely, Jim. PK and Boo are like oil and water. Giving Tiny a chance over there might be just what PK ordered, especially if things get heated tonight.

• stevieray says:

Good morning all from the east coast …look like spring ( hush your mouth )..may be finally here.
      I’m thinking MT would not pair PK and Tinordi because of their ” glaring ” defensive lapses from the past . Not saying this is right but just figuring it that way.

• CJ says:

Good morning Jim! I agree completely.

I like your suggestion, otherwise I would try;

40-76
      79-74
      24-43

59. 24AW says:

Bournival should be on the 3rd line

“Last time the Canadiens saw the Senators was that remarkable three-goals-in the-final 3:22 comeback that led to the Francis Bouillon overtime goal on March 15th. Including that win, the Canadiens have won 8 of 10 games while the Senators have won only four of their last eleven.” (TRR)

Funny how a simple twist of fate can impact an entire season. Thank you, Lars Eller.

• Loop_Garoo says:

You are so right, I have a feeling that without that comeback, we would be desperately clinging to a playoff spot instead of cruising through the end of the season.

LA vs. San Jose should be a classic tilt. I’d say the same for Philly – NYR except the Rangers will have to depend on St Louis and Nash.

62. petefleet says:

Last night was tough. It as enjoyable as kissing your sister. I absolutely hate the Broons and can’t stand the Laffs. I was very conflicted the whole game on who to root for. I rationalized it this way. I hate the Broons and will not cheer for them. I hate the Laffs fans because they are stupid morons but like some of their players. Broons are in and it doesn’t matter about this game. Laffs are out and should stay that way. Very disappointed with the result. Mostly that they both got points.

Henry Ford

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
    Abraham Lincoln

***Go Habs Go***

63. doug19 says:

I was pulling for the Leafs last night. I feel for the young cow eyed fans in the stands.

64. Habilis says:

Didn’t really care who won that game, Loafs are still way behind with the games in hand. In fact, this just assures that they won’t get a top ten pick. Unless they win the lotto, which would be very Leafy. *Shudders*

Something I learned tonight: The game that the Jackets will play against the Stars on April 9 is the rescheduled game from the Rich Peverley incident. The Jackets were up 1-0 that night and as such will get a 1 goal lead to start the game, which will be played in full.

Pretty big advantage for the Jackets in the playoff chase that they already have a 1-0 lead in one of their remaining games.

What’s the first tie breaker? TSN is showing Mtl in 2nd and Tampa in 3rd.

66. Garbo says:

Since when do Habs have such a rivalry with the Leafs. I’ve been a Habs fan my whole life and I’ve never seen them as one of the Habs “rivals”. Nor have I ever really noticed they were perceived to be a rival by others in the past. Only recently have I noticed Habs fans jumping on this media created Habs v. Leafs rivalry that I don’t think really exists.

I see the Leafs the same as any other Canadian team not named Canadiens.

Where does the hate come from? What have I missed in the past few decades?

• Timo says:

I think some of it is because of Leafs being shoved down people throats by every media outlet in the country that is not located in Quebec.

• formerly known as the hc says:

I hate the Ruins because of rivalry. I hate the Leafs because it’s the Leafs.

-The beatings will conmtinue until morale improves-

• BJ says:

@garbo, I don’t know how long you’re whole life has been but I can assure you that a heavy rivalry already existed between the habs and Leafs from when I was a fan in the early 1950’s. I think in part due to the cultural mind set of les canadiens francais vs les maudits anglais. The Rocket vs all the abusive english speaking players. It was that perspective that set up today’s table re. the Leafs that we actually “love” to hate.

• JUST ME says:

Well darn ! I`m old enough to tell you that it comes from the sixties and before,mainly in the original six era when the Leafs, believe it or not ,were a powerhouse. Of course back then also they were the mean anglos and we were the good frenchies . There were no other than canadians and americans playing in the league back then also wich is very hard for young guys to understand . Taranna and Montreal were also the two main cities in Canada by far back then but now power has shifted.
      Taranna has not done anything worth while since 1967 so the rivalry has faded away a bit and shifted towards a simple cities sibling rivalry more than really 2 competing hockey teams.

• habs-hampton says:

As Ken Dryden said in his book, The Game: “There is no Habs-Leafs rivalry. The Leafs killed it.” (or something like that).

The current dislike for me can be blamed mostly on CBC and HNIC. The bias and “all-Leafs-all-the-time” format is sickening.

Just watched an episode of CH24… wow, some coaching these guys are getting. “Come on, guys. We gotta play better. Let’s increase the intensity. Let’s give it 100%. Pricey played great, kept us in the game, let’s go and win the third period…”

I am in awe.

• naweed235 says:

You know I told the same thing to my buddy the other day… His response, and I hope he is right, was that they wouldn’t show any tactical coaching or game plans on TV… Which makes sense… sorta…

68. Un Canadien errant says:

A few thoughts on the Bruins-Leafs game, before I go for an hour-long Silkwood shower.

1) I know that the reasonable thing to want as a Canadiens fan is for the Leafs to stay in the playoff chase as long as possible, to prolong their agony, and depress their standing in the June draft. Best case scenario would be for them to draft 14th overall. Even knowing that, I was cheering for them to lose, badly, in another dispiriting fashion. I want Mark Masters to, blessedly, shut the heck up about his Leafs. He can jabber on about the Jays and Argos, I don’t care, just hush on Dion Phaneuf’s leadership and Jay McClement’s case for the Selke Trophy.

2) That makes sense right? Whether the Bruins win or lose at this point is immaterial, as revolting as the thought of being neutral about Boston is.

3) How do I cheer for the Leafs to lose though? How exactly can I go about that, in this specific game? Without accidentally sending positive vibes to the other side. Maybe for Patrice Bergeron to get all their goals, unassisted?

4) I love how the Leafs used to have Mark Fraser, Colton Orr, Frazer McLaren among others, to crosscheck Brian Gionta in the mouth and play keepaway with Brendan Gallagher’s head, but now that they’re facing the big bad Bruins, they ice a milquetoast roster, and meekly allow Milan Lucic to stand wherever he wants on the ice, blue paint or not.

5) Sean Thornton snow showers James Reimer? No problem sir, take your time leaving the our goalie’s crease, we’ll reconvene in the faceoff circle whenever you’re ready.

6) Colon Campbell’s favourite son cross-checking you in the back Nazem? You don’t feel like acting like a tough guy in this particular instance? No problem, don’t face up against him and stand up for yourself, wait until a little while later and give a half-hearted, underhanded, dirty, dirty, dirty driveby dirty elbow on a Bruins defenceman who doesn’t see you coming and had nothing to do with the previous altercation.

7) Gotta hand it to Paul Ranger, he showed tonnes of dedication and perseverance in pushing/punching Patrice Bergeron on top of Jonathan Bernier, ending the latter’s night. I’m not sure where the sportsmanship aspect fits in tough.

8) When I watch any game featuring any Canadian team on TSN, I actually make a point of watching the panel between periods. They tend to be entertaining and informative. Anyway, you usually get half the time allotted to the featured game, and the other half to other Canadian teams, analysis of their situation or prospects, or any big news of interest in hockey or the NHL. Well tonight, it was all Leafs, all the time. Not one peep about anything else but the valiant struggle of the hard-bitten Leafs. Is it just me, am I just paranoid, or is TSN not really a national broadcaster, but a Toronto station that fills occasional dead air with content from other Canadian markets?

9) The fact that Zdeno Chara now plays forward on the powerplay, and that the previously moribund Bruins PP is now one of the best in the league as a result, is further proof that the Bruin Morlock is not a good defenceman, despite all the slurping he receives from the complicit media. The guy can’t skate anymore, he’s a liability on the ice, and he can’t play the point on the powerplay. Aside from Rod Langway and maybe Scott Stevens, any All-Star defenceman plays the first wave of his team’s powerplay, that’s a given. That Zdeno Chara can’t, that he acted as a drag on his special teams for years, shows that he’s only valuable because of his freakish size, and the lax enforcement of the rules he’s supposed to play under. If the NHL was a skill/hockey league, and not a toughness/violence league, he’d barely be a #6 defenceman, he’d be Hal Gill.

10) The Leafs eventually win in overtime, and watch their odds of making the playoffs increase by a few points, to nearly 10%. Great job, stupid Bruins. Tie it up, grab a loser point, and then leave the Leafs some life. The only silver lining, most of the points came at the expense of the Flyers, who are still not in mathematically. If the Flyers could stumble out of the playoffs, that would be nice too.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• 24 Cups says:

Normand – The thing that I find interesting about Chara’s diminishing game is the fact that he had three years left at 6.9M a season. I guess an increased cap will help look after that but the day is rapidly approaching where he will become a drag on the Bruin payroll and playoff quests. I imagine the best solution will be to have Chara team up with Doug Hamilton in the hope that Hamilton will be able to cover Chara’s butt.

As for the laffs, I think their main problem is pretty simple – they have based the core of their team (and cap spending) on players who are either one-dimensional or not true leaders. Instead of having building blocks like Toews/Keith or Kopitar/Doughty they have Kessel/Phaneuf. That is a lesson for other teams to follow, including Montreal.

• I find myself agreeing with all that you’ve said, save for the shower part…

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• frozengolf says:

I always enjoy your posts, you are bang on about the Leafs being meek as a mouse with the Bruins. It happened in the playoff series last year, I was expecting a battle royale, hoping they would beat the snot out of each other, but it didn’t happen.

_________________________________________________________
      “We know that hockey is where we live, where we can best meet and overcome pain and wrong and death. Life is just a place where we spend time between games.”

69. howiemorenz7 says:

Can’t believe I was cheering for the Broons tonight, I guess that’s how much I hate the Leafs. Cheering for the Broons was an eye-opener, however, even though they didn’t end up winning, it was fun supporting a team that does things do well, and so convincingly.

Watching Ranger shove a Broon into Bernier and killing that guy’s season was good for a laugh, only in Tranna.

Maroons Suck. #7 foreva.

70. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

What’s really going against the Leafs is that both teams ahead of them in the standings and both behind each have two games in hand on them. On top of that the Leafs trail substantially in ROW, the first tie-breaker. Washington and New Jersey also play each other, so one of the teams trailing the Leafs is guaranteed a win with one of the games in hand.

71. EricInStL says:

Man Subban would be awesome to watch playing for a team like SJ…