Budaj to start for Habs vs. Sens; Beaulieu called up after Murray suspended 3 games

The Canadiens practised at noon Thursday in Florida before boarding a flight for Ottawa, where they will face the Senators Friday night (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

After practice coach Michel Therrien announced that Peter Budaj will start in goal against the Senators. In 22 games this season, Budaj has a 9-8-2 record with a 2.41 goals-against average and .910 save percentage.

The Canadiens learned after practice that defenceman Douglas Murray has been suspended for three games by the NHL for his elbow to the head of Tampa Bay’s Mike Kostka during Tuesday’s 3-1 loss to the Lightning. Kostka has been diagnosed with a concussion. Murray will forfeit $23,076.93 in salary.

Jarred Tinordi practised in Murray’s spot with Mike Weaver as his partner and later in the day the Canadiens announced they had called up defenceman Nathan Beaulieu from the Hamilton Bulldogs. In 54 games with the Bulldogs, Beaulieu has six goals and 19 assists. He has two assists in 16 games with the Canadiens this season.

Josh Gorges, who is out with a broken hand, skated with strength and conditioning coach Pierre Allard before practice and is aiming to return to the lineup on April 9 in Chicago, which will be the final game of Murray’s suspension.

In his last start on March 24, Budaj backstopped the Habs to a 2-1 shootout win over the Bruins in Boston.

“It doesn’t matter what happened on any given day in practice, what matters is what’s going to happen in the game, so you can’t really live based of memories,” Budaj told reporters after Thursday’s practice. “The win against Boston was a big win for our team, but since then we’ve played many good games. We’ve got to regroup after the game against Tampa and go out and get two points against Ottawa. I’m excited about the start. I’m glad I get a chance to play. It’s going to be a good game. Every game against Ottawa is. We’re looking forward to it.”

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at Thursday’s practice:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher
Eller-Briere-Gionta
Bourque-White-Bournival
Parros

Markov-Emelin
Bouillon-Subban
Tinordi-Weaver
Murray

The Canadiens will return home after Friday’s game and face the Detroit Red Wings Saturday night at the Bell Centre.

In other news, David Desharnais is the Canadiens’ nominee for the Bill Masterton Trophy that goes to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey. After picking up only one assist in his first 17 games this season, Desharnais racked up 48 points (15 goals, 33 assists) in his next 57 games. Five Canadiens have won the Masterton award in the past: Claude Provost (1968), Henri Richard (1974), Serge Savard (1979), Saku Koivu (2002) and Max Pacioretty (2012).

Meanwhile, Habs prospect Zachary Fucale took home two trophies from the QMJHL awards banquet Wednesday night. The Halifax Mooseheads goaltender, who was selected by the Canadiens in the second round (36th overall) of last year’s NHL draft, won the Jacques Plante Trophy for posting the league’s best goals-against average (2.26) and the Paul Dumont Trophy as the personality of the year. Another Habs prospect, centre Jeremy Gregoire, won the Marcel Robert Trophy as the scholastic athlete of the year. Former Habs defenceman Patrice Brisebois and current assistant coach Gerard Gallant were inducted into the QMJHL Hall of Fame.

(Photo by Jared Wickerham/Getty Images)

Murray suspended three games for illegal check, NHL.com

Budaj gets the call, Canadiens.com

Desharnais nominated for Masterton, by Pat Hickey

Montreal mayor turns into sports fan on Twitter, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Habs players enjoying extra days off, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

How the Habs made the playoffs, NHL.com

Senators Extra, Ottawa Citizen

Habs’ Stanley Cup odds now set at 22-1, Stu on Sports blog

Lecavalier joins NHL’s 400-goal club, but did Habs need him? Stu on Sports blog

CJ, how is the talent there? That’s something you had to describe first and foremost.

2. CJ says:

Hey, no kiddies tonight. Mum and I decided to try Real Sports in the byward market. Huge building with lots of televisions, but the atmosphere was nothing special. Two dozen chicken wings were $44.99 and pints were $7. Add in $10 to park and a Starbucks following dinner and we managed to blow through $175 pretty quickly. Not to sound cheap, but we won’t be doing that again. Anyone else try this place?

Money aside, I’m on cloud nine with Beaulieu getting the call. It’s on the kid now to make the most of the chance. As noted earlier, I’d like to see him with PK, on the correct side with PP time. Torey Krug played one regular season game last year prior to joining the Bruins for the playoff run. It might be late coming, but surely this is the team recognizing that Frankie is not cutting it. Tinordi, IMO, is an upgrade over Murray. Hopefully these changes help the defence get on track. I hope the kids have a good game. Sorry, I better not put the cart before the horse. Firstly I hope the kids get into the game. Once they earn the chance they need to both prove they deserve to keep the position.

• Congrats to Team Canada says:

Damn its a wonder why anyone would spend that money to go out. Wow. I guess thats why when I was in my 20′s it was called disposable income. Not anymore.

• CJ says:

We enjoy going out, but there is no such thing as value meals in Ottawa. One of our favorite places is the Works. It’s a burger franchise. Very good, but we order three burgers (the little guys split), soda and fries and it’s $75, plus tip. Nothing in Ottawa is cheap.

I guess it’s all relative. Ottawa has the highest average household income in Canada.

• Loop_Garoo says:

Have been at the works in Barrie a few times, I don’t think it would be $75 for 3 there, maybe $60 though.

• CJ says:

Burgers are in the $12-$16 dollar range. I get the onion rings, which is an upgrade. The boys like sweet potato fries. Add in a couple milks and soda (they come in a measuring cup lol), it’s expensive. Ottawa is pricey.

Dang, I love those burgers though!

3. Danno says:

Bruins are opening the door for the Leafs. God I hate them.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

4. StevieRay says:

Anyone else think Murray threw out that elbow because he wanted a little vacation?

5. frontenac1 says:

3-1 Leafs! Ok time for a good punch up! Frikkin pussies!

6. HabsPooch says:

Brutal giveaway by Hamilton! 3-1 leafs.

7. Prop says:

Crap, Leafs with a two goal lead…

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

8. johnnylarue says:

Hey, Beau-beau’s back!

Well if that ain’t some good news for a change…

Thing about a kid with an attitude: no way in hell he lets the NHLers see it. He’ll be on his best behaviour on the big club. Which is one of the reasons I thought letting him rot in the AHL was totally pointless…

But hey, I’ve never tried to “improve” a teenager before, so what do I know!

9. slapshot777 says:

Good game going on Flyers and Blue Jackets. Scoreless with eleven minutes left in the second period.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

10. Danno says:

Leaf-lovin’ war room gives itself a goal

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

11. Habs_101 says:

Is there any chance we see both the rookies IN???

Markov – Beaulieu
    Emelin – Subban
    Tinordi – Weaver

looks really solid to me, with Gorges back soon, and the rookies then rotating between who’s playing best.

GO HABS GO!

• SlovakHab says:

As you can see per my below post, I very much agree with you.
      Swapping Murray and Bouillon with Tiny and Brolieu would be great.
      They are young, hungry, can move the puck better and also are bigger than the vets. I don’t get it why they didn’t play with us full time this season…

• Tyhudg says:

I also agree. Beaulieu did not look out of place last time in the habs lineup and is prime to handle more minutes. Tinordi does not look great, but he can definitely handle third pairing minutes, he just needs to improve his defensive play on the PK and not make boneheaded passes. Boullion is a 7th defenceman, better than Drewiskie but should not be in the lineup every day.

12. Alex says:

I don’t see it happening, however I would love to see both Tinordi and Beaulieu in the lineup. I think they each deserve a spot in the lineup and have each played very well when up with the big team. Beaulieu would also be great for our second PP unit. I don’t think Boullion with Subban is cutting it.

• SlovakHab says:

When Bouillon was on the Predators team, I don’t remember him being paired with Weber or Sutter.
      And can you imagine him being on the top pairing with Chara in Boston? hmmm.

This would be beautiful:

Beaulieu – Subban
      Markov – Emelin
      Tinordi – Weaver

when Gorges comes back:

Beaulieu – Subban
      Markov – Gorges
      Emelin/Tinordi – Weaver

Bruins tie.

• slapshot777 says:

Leafs just scored to break the tie with 12.8 seconds left in the first.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

Crap. Laffs scored.

15. Danno says:

I love Marchand!

Ewwww… That doesn’t sound right…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

16. StevieRay says:

Go Roughriders!!

17. ProHabs says:

Why are there 2 stevieray posters on the site. It is like the CFL having 2 Roughrider teams. I don’t like it.

18. UKRAINIANhab says:

Ok, I wonder if any of the coaching staff or players has taken a stop here before? Surely, someone from the habs has been on this site.

19. punkster says:

I deplore violence in hockey of the type practiced by the br00nz and the loafs…staged fights, cheap shots, retribution for clean hits, hits from behind, head shots, biting, using elbow pads to beat opponents in a fight.

However…HOWEVER!!!…tonight I’m willing to suspend my wussification for a few hours with the hope that we witness all of the above and more.

Go whoever go!

Release the Subbang!!!

If this is what distracted drivers look like in BC, they do indeed need discipline – may I suggest spanking. (Ever since Burlington introduced me to Google I’ve been finding all sorts of weird sh!t)

• ABHabsfan says:

Man! I’ve told my wife a hundred times to pay attention to the road, even when she’s getting her pic taken. Yet here she is again! That’s it, she only gets the Volvo from now on!

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

In the spirit of Laffs-Bruins recent history I want leafs to go up 3-0 just to lose it 3-4 in the dying seconds of the game. It will be more fun that way.

I don’t understand when they talk about Eller being inconsistent. I think he is very consistent.

23. Stevie.Ray says:

I wasn’t too keen on many of our selections at last years draft, but I thought Jereme Gregoire was a great 6th round pick. 35 goals, and 34 assists this season in 65 games. Gotta hand it to Timmins.

• stevieray says:

Fucale ???????.u don,t like that pick partner ?

• SlovakHab says:

Reway is ripping up the QMJHL, De La Rose is a kid playing in a tough Swedish league. Both him and Lehkonen were dominant at WJHC.
        Fucale and Gregoire had good seasons.
        Andrighetto had a good season in AHL.
        Crisp showed some improvement, and could make it in NHL as a nice 4th liner with some size.
        McCarron is an interesting prospect with some upside.

What’s not to like about that draft?

• Loop_Garoo says:

I think it was a great draft. I was really hoping to land De la Rose before the draft, McCarron may or may not be an impact player, but he started to look a lot better toward the end of the season in London.

24. DipsyDoodler says:

Matty – are you near the protests?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

25. Hobie Hansen says:

@Matty

I’m with you on Desharnais buddy. He put his money where his mouth was and has kicked ass since his early season slump. I was one of his biggest naysayers but I was dead wrong. He also shut the Montreal mayor up pretty good too.

Eller would not put up as many points and the 1st line would not be as successful if he were the center. Desharnais is a gifted play maker, Eller is not. Pacioretty is a gifted goal scorer and needs a gifted play maker who reads the ice extremely well. Vanek is a bit more versatile than Pacioretty but also clicks with Desharnais.

The Desharnais downers were and still are wrong, period.

• Stevie.Ray says:

He has quietly put up 48 points in 55 games since going 19 games with only one point to start the season.

He is a perfect example of a “exploitive” centerman (some call them “sheltered”), who if put in the right situation can succeed. He’s not your typical centreman, but can put up points. I’m just worried he will his downs will start to become more frequent over the next couple seasons.

• shlamiel says:

Vanek is the best forward on the team.

• StevieRay says:

He’s been putting up points playing on the 1st line and the PP, but he’s not a #1 centerman. Too many deficiencies in his game.

/ sorry

26. Loop_Garoo says:

It was nice to come on here and read the headline that N.B. got called back up. Kids gonna be a good player.

27. frontenac1 says:

Could be a Donnybrook tonight in Hogtown amigos?!Let”r Rip! Old time Hockey! Saludos!

28. bwoar says:

I was just about to post about Beaulieu’s attitude problem, as told by Breezer himself, upon the occasion of re-joining the Bulldogs at the Olympics.

But eh, the club’s called him back up to sit in the pressbox and watch Boullion and Weaver show him what’s what. So what’s the point? At least we know now why he wasn’t called back. Hopefully at 22 years of age he’ll figure out soon that the no one owes him anything.

29. habsr4ever says:

We are not going to trade our future prized goalie prospect in Fucale. Besides you won’t get much for a goalie in a trade any more unless you are Ryan Miller. UFA’s galore this offseason and we saw all the goalie trades at the deadline. Won’t fetch much at all. No point.
    We need to sign our own players like Marky and PK and Vanek and Eller – let’s not talk trades yet especially our future.
    OK – Bourque needs to go (we’ll be eating $800 K of his contract per year) as does Moen or Prust to give us some cap relief (my guess is we trade Moen and will at least get something and won’t have to eat salary) to do these signings and stil have money left over for another WINGER with size. If we can get something for Briere and unload THAT salary too – go for it.
    Bournival is ready for top 6 minutes next season.

30. petefleet says:

Markov-Emelin
    Bouillon-Subban
    Tinordi-Weaver

Scratch the Cube and insert Beaulieu or Pateryn.
    We’re in and we’re playing TB. Play the kids for heaven’s sake!

Take Pleks, Gionta and Bournival and make them the checking line. Sit Eller until he gets his head sorted out…don’t care how long. Insert Christian Thomas or St.Pierre.

“Being on the PP doesn’t make you an offensive threat anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.”
    Henry Ford

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
    Abraham Lincoln

***Go Habs Go***

31. Mattyleg says:

I’m in the pub, boys and girls, using this horrible app, so if you respond to me, please mention my name so I know you’re talking to me!

Just want to say that I don’t get it.

We’ve got one of the best #1 lines in the league, DD overcame an early slump, and is producing now like a madman, the team has just given him a great mark of respect by nominating him for this award… And yet STILL people are sour on him.

“He’s not a #1 centreman.”
    “He is blocking other players’ progress.”
    “He’s only succeeded because he’s MT’s favourite.”

Give me a goddam break.
    This is the sort of thing I’d expect to hear from fans of other teams; ignorant and negative, not from fans of DD’s team. The one he has played his ass off for from the beginning of the season, and the one who has just shown him this respect.

He’s MT’s favourite? He deserves to be. He is also popular with his teammates. Look at how nuts they all went when he scored that shoutout goal.

Support your team, support your players and don’t be so bitter.

• Timo says:

You forgot to mention that he perseveres a lot.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

#2 and 3 statements I disagree with but I agree with the first. DD is not a number one centreman. If you do an unbiased assessment of him, it is evident. He has the passing and shootout ability of one but lacks in other areas. Defensive play is the most obvious. It is not a bad thing (nobody is perfect) but it is the truth. The number one centerman tag is a high standard (Crosby, Getzlaf, Giroux, etc.). A number one centerman can also produce on his own. DD has never shown that without Max.

Anyway, on this team this is irrelevant as his job is to dish to Pacioretty and Vanek, which he is doing. As for defense, who cares. Just avoid the defense zone draws and put that line on the ice as much as possible when a draw is in the offensive zone. In the end, DD is now doing the job he was expected to do. If anybody thought he was going to be a powerhouse #1 centerman, they’re clueless. He is what he is and that is good enough for now.

• Loop_Garoo says:

Agreed, he’s not perfect but he’s all heart. Scored a lot of important tying and winning goals too. I can understand wanting someone bigger, but how can you not admire the guy. He made a good career when almost everyone dismissed him, save Carbo.

• shiram says:

Matty,
      David’s season has been convincing, ever since he broke out of his slump. He also managed to improve on his faceoffs, which was one of his weaknesses.
      I certainly was one of the doubters.

But I still maintain that he has to show he can produce in the playoffs if he is to a long term fixture on the team.

Bergevin and Molson are set on building a contender, DD will have to lead our offence in the playoffs, else the I’m sure his role will be reconsidered.

32. Prop says:

Beaulieu recalled.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Timo says:

I wonder if they had to spell it out really slowly for him so that his feelings don’t get hurt or he doesn’t get confused again.

• Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

He’s defective ? :wink:

• CJ says:

Just jumped on to share the same information. It’s on the kid now to make the most of this opportunity. I sincerely hope that he and Tinordi are given a chance. Not just a chance, but are in a positon to succeed. We have clinched and are locked into a playoff series with Tampa Bay. Put Beaulieu on his natural left side with PK on the right. Markov and Emelin, Tinordi (again, on the left side) with Weaver.

Put players in positions to succeed.

• Habilis says:

Agreed on all points except one. We ain’t so locked in just yet. Detroit can still get to 98 points if they win out, and the way they’re playing, that’s not as unlikely as it should be. In any case, I would bet they get to 95 at the minimum.

Now of course, we would have to have a pretty cruddy run to finish below that. But late-season, post-clinching slumps do happen.

Hopefully we keep the hammer down and smoke us some Sens tomorrow night.

• 24 Cups says:

Bouillon/Subban
      Markov/Emelin
      Tinordi/Weaver

I’d give Beaulieu a few games once the team clinches 3rd place.

Once the playoffs start, delete Bouillon and Tinordi and insert Gorges and Murray.

• ebk says:

I’d play Beaulieu against the Wings, paired with Weaver. Tinordi with Subban for that game.

Disagree with you a bit on the play-offs. Murray isn’t my cup of tea. Would rather have Tinordi in most nights but can see a rotation of the two working.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

To eat hotdogs?

33. Mr_MacDougall says:

Anybody see NyQuist make Chara look like a Giraffe on ice last night?

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

34. rhino514 says:

I don´t understand how Therrien made a conscious decision to use Plekanec and Gionta as a shutdown line for most of the season, with the belief thet the lost goals would be compensated by the duo´s ability to keep the other team´s forwards off the scoresheet.
    Now the coach does away with this line as we approach the playoffs, leaving the team essentially with no shutdown line. Galchenyuk and Gallagher cannot fill that role on the second line, obviously, nor can the third line, with Briere centring it.
    To add to this conundrum, the shift hasn´t resulted in any more goals from the second and third lines.
    Can anyone explain these latter-day moves to me?

35. frontenac1 says:

Hola amigos! Crankshaft gets 3? Who’d have thunk it? Good bit of rest for the guy. He will Rock this year’s playoffs. Book it!!! Saludos!!!

36. Anyone have an idea what’s up MB’s sleeve with Fucale, Tokarski, Mayer and Dubnyk? We are definately top heavy with replacements for Budaj who is a great back-up in my opinion. Will he;

a) Trade Tokarski and Fucale for pics?
    b) Have Dubnyk and Meyer improve with the coach, trade them and keep Fucale and Toker for Hamilton and eventually to replace Price five years down the road?
    c) Trade ‘em all for front line power and strength since we’re focusing on keeping Price as number one for the next, what… 8 years at least? (think about what happened with Luongo…)
    d) Happily keep ‘em and wait for the offers to come in.
    e) None of the above

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• shiram says:

Budaj is signed for another year, so I don’t see a move there.
      Dubnyk will be a UFA, and probably be let go.
      Tokarski is a RFA, I’d hope they offer him a deal to keep a good goalie on the farm.
      Fuccale is still years away and not a concern for now.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Defenitely not a). You can get much better offers for Goaltenders than picks

• That’s what I thought MB had in mind. Aren’t too many promising goaltenders to latch onto, so yeah, we should get some consideration for one of the four UH.

How long do you figure for Fuccale? The Habs brought Pricer up young, I guess it’s an individual thing and if he can’t play regular time just like our defense can’t because of the log-jam, then I’m guessing some room will be made.

I’m just hoping we can use some of these important assets to bring in an NHL ready, or soon to be ready big scoring winger (I know, every team is looking for the same thing).

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Man, Thats a tough one. It is hard to say but Imo I think he is quite a few years away. It will be interesting to see how he does in the wjc’s next year

37. CHicoHab says:

MT doesn’t have the cahones. But I’d move Gallagher to 3rd line. Bournival replace Gallagher. And Gionta move to 4th line.

38. UKRAINIANhab says:

Mike Weaver has been our best D man for a while now. I was hard on Bergevin before the deadline, but man our deadline day has made a great impact on the roster. Good for MB!

• jimmy shaker says:

I was right there with you, but he knew the extent of Gorges injury which we didn’t, and went out and got a quality “Dep” guy to replace gorges. Now with Gorges coming back Wed. vs the hawks and Murray eligible to return the next night, the D should look like this come thursday vs the Isle.

Marky/emelin
      Gorges/Subban
      Weaver/Murray

Tinordi and franki boo healthy scratch’s

Shaker out! (love seeing chelsea and especially mourinho lose.)

• Jimmy9Toes says:

Guys like Weaver are hit and miss when you pick them up. He was playing on a non playoff team and towards the end of his career. If he wasn’t traded, he would have been looking for a 1 year contract in the summer and most likely had to settle for a 1 million contract and be a 7-8 d-man. Now that the league has seen what he brings day in day out, if the Habs don’t resign him this summer he will get a better deal, in my opinion.

• jimmy shaker says:

Yep, he has definitely benefited with this trade. He won’t be back here, but should be able to catch on with another team for sure next year.

Shaker out!

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Cmon Resign Weaver!! He can do everything Gorges does for much cheaper. Moving Gorges will free up cap for Vanek and Pk

• UKRAINIANhab says:

What about Dortmund eh? I guess thats what they get for consistently selling there talent.

• jimmy shaker says:

True, but Weaver’s age might be a detriment to that logic, even though it would free up lot’s of money. I’d rather let gio go and use that money on pk and vanek. Yep, sucks for them…..but it is getting harder and harder to compete at an elite level with those elite clubs and the bankroll they possess. Rich get richer more or less.

Shaker out!

39. Un Canadien errant says:

Sean McIndoe with his rundown on possible playoff matchups.

40. Phil C says:

Too bad the hockey data is not better. One of the weakest aspects of things like corsi is the quality of the shots is not measured. So the value of a bad angle shot from the outside is given the same value as a point blank shot from the middle of the slot. Obviously these two shots will have a completely different shooting percentage outcome over time, yet are lumped together for now. It would be interesting if a guy like Murray gives up more or less shots from dangerous areas. Or if a team like Toronto are not as bad as the stats guys say if the chances they are getting are more valuable than the chances they are giving up, even if the frequency of the poorer chances is higher.

41. Luke says:

krob1000 says:
    April 3, 2014 at 2:55 pm If he wqas Ellers size he may very well be a 75 point guy…this is why the habs need a first line center with Eller or Chcky’s size…or someone who is close to a ppg.

If DD was Eller’s size, you say his totals may improve to be a 75 point player.
    So, if Eller was DD’s size, would he improve, and become a 50 point guy?
    ;)

42. krob1000 says:

lach60

April 3, 2014 at 3:38 pm

krob, if I remember correctly, when Desharnais broke into the league in 2010 he played 43 games and had 23 points playing on the 3rd line with limited minutes. Pretty impressive numbers for a 3rd line centre playing 10-12 minutes a game, with Gomez and Plekanec as the numbers 1 and 2 centres.

lach…8 of his 22 points were on the pp…ye she did help spark a 3rd line but he really had 14 even strength points in 43 games that isn’t exaclty lighting it up…all of those guys I keep mentioning are all producing at thatt same rtae in that situation…..waht it was was great for aguy out of nowhere..to achieve hwat he has and take the troute he ahs is incredible…but we can’t confuse overachiving with overrating….I am saying he went from underrated to now overrated by many who are really only viewing the hot streak which has been great. That 2009-10 thing thoughis a bit of a myth..14 points were not of the pp variety…

43. Hobie Hansen says:

Great news about Gorges being close to returning. Gorges has definitely appeared to regain most of his reputation of being a solid defensive defenceman.
    His return will however force someone out of the lineup.

Most people have been pleased with the element that Murray brings to the club, the smart ones anyway, but I think it will be a tough call on whether to play him or Weaver in the playoffs.

There could be a lot of second guessing one way or another. If Murray coughs the puck up and it ends up in the back of the net the haters will be allover him.

However, if the Canadiens lose a game where they’re outhit, a couple PP goals go in and the Lightening players set up camp in front of Price, then the Murray supporters will be crying foul.

I love Murray’s heart and determination and I’m really impressed with Weaver’s grit and solid play as well. it’s a tough call!

• Timo says:

It won’t be Franky Bouillon, that’s for sure. Can’t swap a top 2 dman for at best 4th dman.

• Hobie Hansen says:

lol, I’m on crack actually….

I think Bouillon would come out and Murray and Weaver will most probably be in there. Long day.

But ya, Therrien love Bouillon so you never know…

There’s also Tinordi but they seem a bit hesitant to play him right now.

• shiram says:

I think I’d go with Markov, Emelin, Subban, Gorges, Weaver and one of Tirnordi/Murray.

• Caesar says:

What Murray brings no one out side of a healthy Parros can bring. No offense to Prust and Moen simply Murray is in another weight class. DO es anyone think Neil would do wht he will likely be doing on Friday if Murray was there? I doubt it.

• HabsWin-nipeg says:

Last year in the playoffs Neil didn’t have a hot clue what to do with Tinordi. I distinctly remember Tinordi cross checking Neil in the side of the head/face, and Neil didn’t do a thing, most likely because he wasn’t sure what Tinordi could do in a fight. Not that Tinordi is on par with Murray in terms of keeping guys honest, but he would be my next choice.

• Cal says:

Frankie Boo will sit. If there’s a Dman that needs to be just depth, it’s him. He’s played terrible alongside PK, making PK look worse.

• JUST ME says:

Bouillon deserves…the rest. He has not been hiresdto play every game and did with some succes last year but this season is another story. Still think he is a warrior but remains our number 7 D-man. On the outside looking in…

• johnnylarue says:

I tend to side with… was it Carbo? G. Therrien? One of the AC guys, anyway, said Murray is not a great fit for a 7-game series vs the Lightning, because in general their forwards are simply too fast and agile for him.

Best case scenario is Tinordi uses the remainder of the regular season to build some confidence and claim Murray’s spot for the first round.

• dhenry1234 says:

Franky Boo should be sitting. Guaranteed to see him pass the puck behind the net, only to have it intercepted by an attacking forechecker, and put into the net.

44. shiram says:

The playoffs will be where we will see if the Habs can continue with DD as their #1 offense guy.

He only has 10 playoffs game so far, but the numbers don’t look good, 2 assists only to show for himself.

If he can continue to feed goals on Max and Vanek’s stick, then I don’t see an issue, but if in the playoffs he disappears, well some reorganization might be in line.

• kalevine says:

to be fair, there are a number of guys on the team who have been playoff under performers. To avoid another disappointing posytseason, we need to have more than 1 or 2 guys really step up to the plate. If you look at teams with long playoff runs, including the Habs of 2010, there were essentially no passengers

45. Mr_MacDougall says:

DD is not being sheltered, the coach is doing a fantastic job getting the teams top line in favourable offensive situations, which is what a good coach does, DD happens to be on the first line. What idiot would put Eller on for an O zone FO after an icing? Not a Peewee AAA coach in Canada, or any coach at a higher level.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• ebk says:

Eller is better than he’s showed of late, will he get back to where he was earlier this year and at the end of last year, I hope so. If he does, Bergevin has tons of options with him, Plekanec and DD. Don’t think Galchenyuk is ready to play center at the moment but if he takes a big step forward next year, Montreal will be incredibly deep down the middle.

3 games for Murray is… eh… ok. Hope he can rest and heal some bruises from all this shot blocking. Can Franky Bouillon cover first and third pairing duties for a few games?

I love my man DD and think he is the best but what specifically did he had to persevere in order to be a nominee for the Masterton trophy? The 3.5 mil contract?

• Strummer says:

He came back from sucking the first 17 or so games.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• shiram says:

Masterton is not just about coming back from injury, you know.

“…player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to ice hockey. ”

DD won’t win it, but it’s nice nod to him.

• Timo says:

So DD is more dedicated, more of a sportsman than any other Habs player? In what way specifically? I mean, other than he is the best center Max ever played with. (and now Vanek)

• shiram says:

You’ll have to ask the people who selected him.
          But I don’t disagree with the choice, what other player would you have nominated?

• Timo says:

Franky Bouillon. Hands down. I mean, top 2 dman, carries the team on his shoulders, gets paid way less than DD (talk about dedication, the guy is practically volunteering) – you can’t find bigger dedication to hockey than that.

And you have to appreciate what I am saying here because as you all know DD is my man and I love him.

• JUST ME says:

Just for handling the load of crap he got here he sure deserves the nomination but his selection is i think by default because there are no other candidate but maybe Emelin who came back from a serious injury without the succes sufficient to be noticed…

48. Habitoba says:

Too bad the contest is only open to residents of Quebec. Would have loved an opportunity to try my luck at what is a great prize. Any particular reason it’s set up that way?

49. bwoar says:

3 games = totally worth it. That, of course, is the New NHL. And it ain’t so bad, until a Crosby or Toews or Max Pacioretty misses a season.

Anyhow, seeing Plekanec centre 2 young prospects just gave me a weird flashback to Plekanec in the middle with both Kostitsyns on his wings. Remember when that looked like it was gonna be a good line? For about 3 games?

Here’s to hoping his current set of youngsters go on to bigger and better careers.

• The Jackal says:

Pleks between the two tits was fun for a while.
      So was Grabs between the tit brothers, very fast and skilled line but that didn’t work out in the end…

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

50. B says:

Congrats to Grégoire for winning the Marcel Robert Trophy. I guess hockey isn’t the only thing he has ben working really hard at. Note that Brière won the trophy in ’95.

–Go Habs Go!–

51. ClutchNGrab says:

[...]

At the conclusion of Tuesday’s game Michael Kostka checked his phone and had already received a text message from Montreal Canadiens defenseman Douglas Murray apologizing for the hit that left Kostka momentarily motionless on the ice.
    “Classy move,” Kostka said. “I don’t think he had malicious intent, but needless to say it was a bad hit.”

Sigh. That team will be way harder to hate then the Senators.

• Strummer says:

The fact that the Lightning have Mike Kostka in their line-up would tell me they are vulnerable on their back end.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

He is Tampa’s version of Frankie or Murray, not ideally who you want in your top 6, but for this season they needed him. He does have age on his side. I was actually quite surprised how much PP time he was getting with Tampa, granted people watching Habs games probably wonder the same about Frankie.

• Strummer says:

He was good for the Leafs post-lockout after spending the lockout with the Marlies. Once everyone else got in shape his 15 minutes were up.
          I don’t think he dressed in the playoffs against Boston

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• B says:

According to Hockey Night in Toronto, wasn’t Kostka the 2nd coming of Bobby Orr when playing for the Leafs at the start of last season?

–Go Habs Go!–

• Timo says:

What does Dr. Recchi say about checking the phones after a hit to the head? I don’t think Dr. Recchi approves that.

52. Strummer says:

Ottawa is broken team. They lost to the bottom-feeding Isles last night in a must-win game.
    No Ryan or Spezza- let’s kick ‘em while they’re down- payback for last year.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

53. B says:

Number cruncher : Deconstructing Desharnais:

–Go Habs Go!–

• Mattyleg says:

This is pretty good from that article:

“There are 25 centermen currently aged between 26 and 28 who have played at least 200 NHL regular season games since the start of the 2010-11 regular season.
      On a per-game basis, six players lead the pack: Evgeni Malkin (1.20 PPG), Nicklas Backstrom (0.95), Anze Kopitar (0.91), David Krejci (0.80), Patrice Bergeron (0.75) and Mike Richards (0.70). All were heavily scouted, internationally-experienced juniors. With the exception of Krejci and Bergeron, who were drafted in the second round, these all-star performers were also exclusively first-round picks.”

Desharnais is next with 0.63ppg.

Funny that we don’t hear people saying that Backstrom shouldn’t have played with the best wingers. Or Bergeron. Or Richards. Or…

But I guess this list is just a roll-call of ‘sheltered’ centremen who have benefited (probably unfairly) from favouritism.

These players make. Me. Sick.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Kooch7800 says:

It is only because of his size Matty. Don’t kid yourself if he was Eller’s size DD would be looked at as a great player in Montreal. He has been doubted at every level and produced at every level. He is a great centre. If he did have Eller’s size he would be even more dominant.

He and max have two of the best contracts for the habs for the next couple years. Just think DD makes slightly more than Bourque

• Mattyleg says:

So what you’re saying is that we need a first-rounder who would cost a fortune for 10 or so more points per year…?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• krob1000 says:

Um no…what I am saying is Eller will be cheaper is bigger, can play in both ends and scored at DD pace for an 80 game stretch….and if that isn;t enough the team has its best prospect in 20 some years who is similar and needs sheltering and favourable situations as well but with his size can likely outproduce DD now…also at around same money. I would love to reasonalby believe DD belongs long term…I just cannot logically come to that conclusion….I admire what he has overcme…I jsut see him as a roadblock long term….as stated right now…ride the dd train…he is playing well and I actually am probably the only one on here who saw some positive in his last game (he was trying to shoot)….but as stated 99 times a week for months…Gomez, Eller, Briere, Pleks, Koivu, (Chucky in future) all were doing jsut as well…and I had the same arguments on here about Gomez…people defended him like crazy and whenever he palyed well for a stretch out came the I told you so’s…and I jumped on the bandwagon for his playoff run just like I am currently on the DDbandwagon…but I know it is not right moving forward.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Matty, yes, for 10 more points. 75 more hits. 60 less turnover. DD is not a number 1 center. period. I love the player, but if you are unable to see that, you’re not watching other teams close enough.

Problem is, there are only 10-15 of those guys on the planet.. So I’m fine with DD.. He can play with stars, he’s proven that much.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• athanor says:

Mr_MacDougall, you can’t just throw out numbers. Someone will check. DD has been counted with 20 (twenty) giveaways this year, he’s won more faceoffs than he has lost (not many mind, but still).
            So to do better than him by 70 in turnover land, you would need someone who had none for three seasons.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Don’t confuse good with great… Crosby is great, Toews is great.. DD is good.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Kooch7800 says:

Great in terms of offensive Value. Crosby and Towes are elite centres. We don’t have an elite centre. Vanek is an elite winger and I would say so is patches

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Fair enough.. I just don’t throw the term great around loosely.. Different folks have different terminology.. So I think we’re on the same page!

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• krob1000 says:

Any one of those guys would not be traded for 3 david desharnais if hsi contract were 1 million a year. That is one weird artivle Matty…centers between ages 26-28….what does that have to do with anything? BErgeron is a selke guy and Krejci is a larger version of Pleks ..theya re as complete as can be as hockey layers. Richards? same thing…Koopitar? all are better offesnviely than DD and light years better in every other area as well. Backstrom is a 100 point guy and Malkin is in the conversation of best in the game annually….that is a strange article…better “number crunching” on here daily. Trying to lump DD in that group is like us lumping Murray in with Zdeno Chara.
        I still stick by my consistent message that any one of Briere, Pleks, Chcuky(yes Chucky) and even Eller could all generate 50 points in first line role all year with top wingers and always being 1s pp unit and getting ozne starts. Ihave already “crunched numbers” showing that EVERY one of those guys HAS already done it exacpat Chcuky who has bnever been a centre….then you look back and see Gomez generated more than that at older age with lesser wingers, Koivu did the same…Pleks scored way more while playing a 200 foot game.
        I try to stay away fromt his constant Dd pedestal putting at this time but I can;t help myself when I see an article like that on Canadiens.com? really? are they rally trying to propaganda us into believing he is among that class? He is currently around 28th in scoring amongst centers….so if every team had a “first line center”: then he is among the worst? is that number crunching…Habs tp offensive center that gets all of the offesnive opportunities attains low end of league 1st line center status…woohooo!!!!

• Mattyleg says:

“all are better offesnviely than DD”

Not significantly, with regards to ppg.

But haters and all that…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• krob1000 says:

See Matty this is what is frustrating…I continue to show you with examples of palyers who have already done the same or better and all you and others come out with is “haters and all that”?
            I have not ever “hated” a HAb…I defended Kaberle, Brisebois, Ryder, the Kostistyns,etc…but I also tried to remain obje ticve..it is a little problem I have…when I am typing or thinking in the moment I get caught up like most…but when I sit here day after day typing on here I can not let my emotions fool me…I have looked at the situation several times, posted on here all of the stats, looked to see if I am wrong over and over and there is moerpointing to my argument then not adn that is why I post it.

• B says:

It bothers you that the Habs post an article on their web site that tries to show one of their players in a good light?

–Go Habs Go!–

• krob1000 says:

It bothers me becaue the article is uch a reach and it hints to me that they are leaning towards keeping him longer term…I dont; like that. Any artivel trying to lump Dd with those 6 forwards ? I am sorry is wquite laughable…ask DD if he thinks he belongs in that group…Malkiin, Backstrom, Richards, Kopitar, Bergoern and Krejci? seriously? That is trying ot pull the wool over my eyes …that is how I percevie it. If they want to writea n articel about his pace the last 40 games and his chemistry with MAx and now Vanek, wirte about his gereat shootout results or some of his clutch golas..of which I am very appreciative and recognize…then fine…but that article is “number selecting” ..not number crunching. DDis a heartwarming story…he has overcome huge odds, he is a really, really good hocey player…he is not a superstar, he is decent value for his contract, he is a guy who has chemistry with MAx. How did I let myself get intot his again?

• kalevine says:

I was hearing the sheltered story several years ago and didn’t really get it. But his poor performance after signing the contract made me wonder if those naysayers weren’t right. His performance in the last 3/4 of the season easily justifies the signing and the adjustments made. Not to mention he has been our best shootout guy

• krob1000 says:

His play of late is what has made me thing things are best left as they are for this year…he is playing as well as possible, his shootout and clutch goals have led to me now agreeing he CURRENTLY deserves the role. I do not agree about that for next year thgouh…but right now I am absolutely loving his game…he even tried shooting a few times last game. I still think Briere should get his 1st line pp duty though untile he starts shooting and/or dcurl.driving more but overall he is hustling, his passing ahs always been amazing and he has chemistry with his linemates.

• ebk says:

The constant DD bashing on here gets a little tiresome. At his contract and his production, he’s a huge part of why the Habs are one of the top 4 teams in the Eastern Conference and a threat to come out of the East.

• krob1000 says:

Actually I get really tired of the propping up of him over the other players in the system that can and HAVE done similar or beter. Yo0u can also note that whielthe other centers wwere there …the team typically finished similiarly or better int he standings. This isn’t made up stuff…this has happened. Considering this “bashing” is also tiresome….I always give him his due respect for what he does…I just don;t believe it to be in the best interset of the team and I have consistentl shown through reasonable posts as much eviudence that I am right as anyoen can post saying I and others are wrong. Right now…I am fine iwth him where he is…the addition of Vanek now makes that line great and adds depth enough to give other players some hope so I am ok but if people would not elevate him to ridiculous heights than I would not need to keep posting the same thing. Trust me it is equally tiresome on the other side of the fence.

• Mattyleg says:

It must be hard to keep disliking a player that plays well.

What other centres have done similar or better than DD?

Eller? Galchenyuk? Briere? White?

Eller would be lost playing with Max and Vanek.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• krob1000 says:

Dd would find his way playing with Moen and Bourque or white? He seemed pretty lost as well Matty….remember that? I remember Eller playing pretty well when given some confidence. For the record I do not think Eller is the guy for that role…I think it is Chcuky time or posssibly even Briere…there is no way Briere does not deserve that 1st line pp time thoguh..he is the best Hab forward from what I have seen on the pp…he has made a career out of it and now he doesn;t play?

• lach60 says:

• kalevine says:

TBH, you lost me a bit when you mentioned Gomez, who, in all his time with the Habs, being given tons of ice time without deserving it, bringing his wingers down to his level and then some never mounted a streak close to what DD has, and he wasn’t much good defensively either. Not to mention he appears to be on his way to an early retirement. It seems nobody, not even the Panthers, wants to give him any more chances

But you raise a good point about Galchenyuk. His development should not be hindered any further than it already has, if it has. He has to get to the next level soon, and will have trouble doing it without more opportunities to get there. I don’t profess to know how best to bring him along, but I am hoping he, Gally, and Plek catch fire in the playoffs. One can hope, right?

• krob1000 says:

Gomez scored similarly to DD and made it to the Conference finals…he scored 59 points that year…how may does Dd have?

• kalevine says:

valid point…DD has been the better player for most of the last 3 years though. He does need to show that he can handle playoff pressure

• ebk says:

Honestly, have not noticed him getting elevated to ridiculous heights. But if you have, cool. Guess we just see things differently.

• krob1000 says:

That article just lumped him in with Malkin, Backstrom, Krejic, Bergeron, Kopitar and Ricahrds…you find that reasonable?

• ebk says:

Think you are reading way to much into that article. He’s close to those guys on a PPG basis, that’s all I take away from the article.

54. jamman says:

Just great. I have tickets and Budaj gets the start

• jimmy shaker says:

And…….

Shaker out!

• jamman says:

I recall the sens having Budaj’s number. He got the the start in Ottawa last year and it wasn’t pretty. White took a double minor that they capitalized on it scoring twice so I guess it wasn’t entirely Budaj’s fault.

• jimmy shaker says:

No I’m just joking with you…..I’ve only been to two games over the last while and Carey’s played both, so I understand your frustration in wanting to see Pricer in the crease. Boods will be all right, it’s chucky and the team D I’m worried about! Hope it’s a good one for you. It will be live from coast to coast on CBC. Don’t remind me of last year’s failures, it still cuts a little.!

Enjoy.

Shaker out!

55. jimmy shaker says:

Good chance for Tinordi to show he’s mentally sound out there. Murray due to come back on thursday vs the islanders. Gorges is due back the night before vs the hawks. Tinordi probably comes out vs the hawks, and frankie probably comes out the next night for Murray to come back in shake off the rust.

Good plan with budashe in the crease.

Shaker out!

56. krob1000 says:

I am VERY concerned about tomorrows game vs Ottawa…a lot of hsitory and bad blood there..from the playoffs last year to the last game that pretty well ended Ottawa’s hopes IMO. I agree with poster below…they will be out of control. I hope there are no shenanigans but I really worry…kind of that same feeling I had going into Bruins game last week….not looking forward to it.

57. Prop says:

Three games is not surprising.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

58. shiram says:

Thought for sure he’d get 5.
    Will be interesting to view Shanaban’s video on it

• Mattyleg says:

I was sure it’d be three.
      It wasn’t premeditated, it wasn’t a run into the boards, it was a mistimed check that went wrong, and his instinct was bad.
      Have to dissuade those things, and 3 seemed the right bet.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

I thought he’d get 5 since he’s not a star player and I thought there was a cracking down on those hits.

Like was posted below, he’d probably have sat 2 of those games anyways.

• Mattyleg says:

Right, good points.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• krob1000 says:

The fact that pretty well ended the game in a dogfight vs tampa for home ice likely factored in (this wasn’t one that went unpunished during the game and was later reviewed…sometimes people forget that is factored in), he has no history, he did not stick his elbow out trying to catch him…he went in with his arm out all along with just bad and careless form not malicious intent, these games are very important at the end of the season. Kostka also is not a guy normally in the business of deking large dmen just inside the blueline and cutting back. Based on the leagues trends this is exactly where the penalty should be..if he wereewearing black and yellow it may have been a hockey play. This is the right amount for a first time offender under those circumstances.

• Loop_Garoo says:

I think his reputation played into this. Although he is known as a hard hitter, he is also known as a very clean player, and has never been suspended before.

59. Sportfan says:

What some people don`t like about the suspension is that he was just trying to hit the guy not, knock him head off, he didn’t jump etc. He just elbowed the wrong spot so it bugs some people, but those are the rules.
    I forget who said it but they said that hit and the situation was like what the Devils and Scott Stevens used to do. Weaver forced Kostka to go into one spot where Murray was set to hit him. If it was Scott Stevens, Kostka would have fun away lol.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

60. JUST ME says:

Soooooo, what should we expect from the Sens tomorrow ?
    -Retaliation for the now historic hope ending loss ?
    -Discipline to keep on dwelling on the little chance they still have.
    -A little bit of both depending on how the score is late in the game ?

I would dress Parros and White just to be safe…

I do not know and i still think that the name Senators was not chosen lightly. For me they are still useless overpaid old farts….

• krob1000 says:

I suspect they go berserk ….I think TInordi, Bouillon play with White and Parros. We still may end up losing every fight …but at least it will be those guys being the targets instead of guys like Markov, Pleks, Chucky,etc. This may be a good game to reward Blunden for his great play in Hamilton too and call him up. Bring in Tarnasky while you are at it. Rest a couple of guys in the name of a back to back .

• Mavid says:

why would we lose every fight..they are not that tough..if Neil is challanged to a fair fight, not one were he jumps the guy at the end of his shift..he is very beatable..Kassian is one tough SOB, but that is about it..I am not worried..I do think Parros and White should be in though..if nothing else Parros can be a deterrrante..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• krob1000 says:

Well the team is weaker than the lineup that lost every fight in the line brawl last season ….Parros is just trying to get through the season (I hope for his sake) . Murray out, Prust out, Moen out and Weise out…that is a lot to overcome. I do not advise the HAbs to get into a punchfest with Ottawa …you are forgetting Zack SMith, Eric Gyrba and Jared Cowan…they are a tough team

Just to be clear I should add I don’t really care if the Habs win any fights..as long as the guys who are most valuable are being protected I am happy …they should not be targets.

• Loop_Garoo says:

The Sens are done and they know it. I could understand them playing hard, trying to hurt or be tough if the two teams were fighting for a playoff spot, or in the playoffs, but you cant tell me a grown man is going to intentionally try to hurt somebody just because they are mad that the habs knocked them out of playoff contention. This isnt kindergarten

61. HUDSONHAB says:

A couple thoughts.
    Don’t think home ice in the first round is a must. Wouldn’t it be nice to come home with a 2-0 lead?

I like Murray. Good to have him for Boston, Philly et al.

• Habcouver says:

Good point. Even a split would be nice.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Whoever and however it works out, we need to dispatch them quickly. No seven game series.

• Sportfan says:

Maybe some other team will take a run at Bishop and solve that problem. I see that series going 6-7 games.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

The road to the cup is about rest.
          Those that have shorter series usually do better.
          Some stats don’t lie. The year MTL w /Halak had two 7 games series.
          On the tele they flashed a stat that said teams having gone to 2 seven games series were 0-13 or 0-14 in the next. And then we crumbled too.

• TheCanadianDagger says:

How much will “home ice” in Tampa really be for them anyway?! With all the snow bird Habs fans down there I would have to think we’d have at least 25% of the attendance, possibly up to perhaps 40%? And definitely louder.

We’d only be losing out on MT’s line matching, which to be honest, is the ONLY reason we have clinched already…

• ArmyFan says:

Be careful. The same thing was said last year about Ottawa, and a funny thing happened – their fans showed up in droves, and Ottawa went on to the second round.

• kalevine says:

Home ice does not matter much at all in the playoffs. Look at the Habs performances on the road in 2010, winning game 7′s in the opposing barn twice. In 2011 they took the first 2 in Boston and still lost the series

62. Sportfan says:

Murray is out for three games, which I called. Sucks that he gets suspended but those are the rules, hopefully he won`t stop hitting.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

63. Mattyleg says:

3 games for Murray.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

64. mcconkur says:

I have seen the habs play 9 times since price was the starter, each time the backup has been in net. I also have tickets to the game tomorrow, which will make it 10/10. Not that I disagree with the decision to start Budaj but one day I would love to see Price play. A conspiracy theory is starting to form in my mind.

65. Hobie Hansen says:

3 Games For Murray…

Is there any player that Montreal should be after once other NHL teams start picking the carcass of the Vancouver Canucks?

• ebk says:

There are a ton of players on the roster that would help the Habs. Bieksa and Hamhuis are both on reasonable contracts and Bieksa in particular would bring some nastiness to the defense.

Higgins at his salary would be a nice addition to the 3rd line. Burrows, if the Canucks would retain some salary would shore up RW, which is a Hab weakness.

Canucks still have a lot of valuable pieces, either for them to re-tool around or move.

• krob1000 says:

Bieksa is EXACTLY what the HAbs need this offseason…he is a Sheldon Souray clone. Tough as nails, will stand up to anyone..even better he is right handed…a tough RH dman is waht the Habs lack. I would love to see a Gorges plus something deal for Bieksa…Gorges goes to home pRovince as he has been a stalwart pro so he is treated fairly on exit and HAbs get Bieksa. Gorges has value and is a great treammate and character guy but Habs dream fit on D IMO would be Bieksa.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Kevin Bieksa and Ryan Kesler are the two Canucks I would love to have on the Canadiens.

Kevin Bieksa is as close to untouchable as you can get on the Canucks, for his play in both ends of the ice, for his toughness, for his leadership. The fact that he’s right-handed almost doubles his value.

He’s not a well-kept secret, every team in the league would love to have him. The only reason there aren’t more rumours about him is that the Canucks never entertain any talks about trading him. He’s seen as part of the leadership group, along with the Sedins, that the Canucks would like to retain as they rebuild.

If we wanted to get him here in Montréal, we’d have to ante up much, much more than Josh Gorges.

But yeah, Kevin Bieksa in Montréal on the blue line? Any time.

• krob1000 says:

Gorgs mya not even be the centerpiece…I was doing that for the salary and to give them a dreplacement…it would take either a 1st or high end prospect. I think he would take over Gorges role onthe team which would open up the door for another kid as Bieksa would often be tough enough that team could insert another skater a la Beaulieu Too bad I theink Beaulieu is a guythe Canaucks would want)
            The HAbs and Canaucks are actually ideal trading partners

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

I am with you but boy would the cost be dear … I think you have an easier time with Kesler but the package would start with Eller (AFTER he has a good playoff as the ‘Nucks need to replace some of the size/skill down the middle) and Beaulieu and …

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• Bun E. Laroque says:

67. mdp2011 says:

Louis Jean ‏@LouisJean_TVA
    Douglas Murray suspended 3 games.

68. mdp2011 says:

Louis Jean ‏@LouisJean_TVA 7s
    Douglas Murray suspended 3 games.

69. mdp2011 says:

Murray 3 game suspension.

Starting Budaj on Friday is a smart call by MT. The only important game left for the Habs in the regular season is on Saturday.

71. krob1000 says:

Sorry for repost but it was a novela nd I see Murray stil being discussed here:

Commandant you are bringing up below re Murray and defense in general… the old best defense is offense argument ….while others will counter with the best offense is generated by the best defense. It really is not that simple…for some teams, and even further in detail for some particular payers and lines….they do not have the skillset to dominate the other line with puck posession. This is especially true in a Salary Cap league with 30 teams where there is a signifcant talent level drop from thetop 6 to bottom six. You then factor in the need for phsyical bodies in the arms race to prtect your teams offense and goalie and it is further watered down.

This is where coaching comes into play…are the forwards guys that can dominate, can they attain posession themselves and control down low in other end, are they a neutral zone team that needs to rely on good sticks and skating to create transition opportunities; are they capable of winning one on one battles in their end or do they need to collapse and play a collective d game inside the dots (that is often frustrating but with such a small lineup has become a necessity), etc,etc

Montreal has a lineup that is pretty well rounded, they are slightly above average in most areas of the game. That is their strength…depth and the ability to match styles. I personally believe there is more offesnivee potential to be tapped but that is irrelevant when MT has decided the game plan most nights is to counter attack. Can the team do this? Yup…becuase they have dmen willing to block shots, because they have Pk and Markov who can move the puck, because they have Price most importantly and because they have forwards who are for the most part pretty balanced and can support in the defensive zone and all are smart enough to be able to play in sync defensively.

i will be the first one cursing at the tv when the cycle repeats…Habs collapse, Point shot through self generated traffic in front of own net, lose race to puck because inside dots and repeat…it drives me bananas. But at the same time I know that Gionta, Gally, Chcuky, Pleks, Briere, Dd …none of these guys can contain a large skilled forward in the defensive zone…so someone needs to support them and they need to concede the outer edges of the dzone sometimes. Theya re all good with their sticks and can still retrieve enough pucks from the interior position but we see the opposite happen when Montreal on offense.

When on offense the Habs are not able to dominate for long stretches as they are often outsized and outmuscled. However, they attack in waves and have more skilled forwards then most teams to compensate. To make a long story short…I get frustrated with MT’s usage but at the same time I understand it quite often on 45 on 5. I have huge issues with his sheltering and who he shelters but that is working right now so I will support it until the offseason…..but to get back to what started this…Murray?

Murray in that collapse game is a guy who can clear the crease and literally move bodies…and ina collapse style that needs to be done, he will also bock shots and with the collapse game comes a lot of scrumming around your net as it means your goaltender will be jumping on any puck he is able to….Murray helps keep things honest there as well. Murray is a platoon 6/7 guy ….that is not a fit on every team….but on a team that is looking for phsyicality that it is lacking elsewhere…he is an ideal fit. It would be great if he sklated better but if he did he wouldbe a 4 milliin dollar dman….he has strengths and weaknesses…more weaknesses then strengths hence him being a platoon dman…..but his strengths are something severely lacking in Montreal….so he is very, very necessary at themoment.

• Good points. Bottom line, right now we need at least one like Murray. In the future, hopefully not.

Defense wins championships

“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” St. Thomas Aquinas

72. DipsyDoodler says:

Is Douglas Murray’s ability to clear people from the face of the net after a whistle really useful?

First, he’s only on the ice for 12 min a game, meaning that for 48 min post-whistle stuff can happen.

Second, the other team can’t score a goal after the whistle and the outcome of the game is still decided on goals.

Third, has any player ever been injured during a post-whistle scrum? What exactly are you trying to prevent here? Does Murray also stop opponents from yelling insults at Carey Price after the whistle?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

Do you at all recall watching the Sedins head as a speedbag in the Cup finals by Boston a couple years ago? If not, then no worries you are correct.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Yup. It happened once.

And Sedin barely felt it.

Little taps on the visor.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

If you viewed that as a positive for Vancouver, then indeed no need for Murray. Can’t wait until Markov gets to enjoy those little taps, he is going to love it!

• Mr_MacDougall says:

There is a thing called honor, the Sedins have it, the refs failed them. The proper thing would have been a PP goal. I do think that teams need enforces to help do the referees job, so Murray gets my support.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• DipsyDoodler says:

I view it as an irrelevant and rare occurrence.

I would also think that having Murray on the ice against the Marchand line (with Patrice Bergeron and Reilly Smith) would be more likely to result in a post-whistle goal celebration than a post-whistle face wash.

—–
          Moving. Forward.

• Habcouver says:

How could we forget about Ratboy’s lovetaps to Henrik?

No one on the Nucks team stood up to that crap. No penalty for roughing/unsportsmanship, just intimidation that the Booins could dictate the game.

That said, I support Murray’s presence in the line up.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
          Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• DipsyDoodler says:

If you look at the video every other Canuck on the ice was wrestling with a Bruin.

Also you’ll notice that Sedin was annoyed/surprised by it than hurt. Like what is this guy doing.

—–
            Moving. Forward.

Just to confirm Dipsy, when you watch hockey, you do see that the players are on skates correct? Because I am almost positive we see the game completely differently.

I had no idea that Sedin actually enjoyed the experience and is now so fond of it that these love taps are now part of his off-ice life at home.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Sedin should have stood up for himself anyway. Marchand is like 5’9″.

—–
            Moving. Forward.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Daniel didn’t do anything wrong. He did exactly what we always say not to do, which is to retaliate, and get the penalty the ref always awards. Instead, he looked at the ref, expectantly, as if saying: “Okay, anytime now, give this jerk his two and five, and let’s get on with this game.”

The great failure was from the refs, not from Daniel. But I don’t think I have to convince you that the Bruins bought their Stanley Cup, and the NHL and referees were complicit.

• I think he was pretty useful against the Bruins and not just after the whistle. He stood up to Chara and Lucic shove for shove in front of the net. Not too many others on our team can do that. Until there’s an alternative, I don’t have a problem with him playing.

Defense wins championships

• Hobie Hansen says:

He was being complemented on the radio yesterday by Aaron Ward for being a tremendous penalty killer, especially in the absence of Josh Gorges.

He also delivers a crushing hit on occasion and is really the only guy the Habs have had in years that can stand up to any player in the league. I personally believe that a guy like Murray allows other players on the Habs to play with a bit more of chip on their shoulder and gives them momentum and a positive feeling. If the Habs are on the receiving end all the time it is demoralizing. That was the case in Montreal until guys like Prust and Murray started showing up.

It seems all the Ex NHL players and coaches value Murray and all the stats guys don’t like him.

• Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

There’s been a big difference this year compared to last as it relates after the whistle scrums. Murray is part of that. In the end he’s a stop gap. He can actually play the game vs Parros who best before date had expired before we obtained him.

• Agreed. I feel bad for Parros and hopefully he can get on with things and succeed after this season. But, I’d like to see another forward with size to take his place. And if he can drop the gloves with the other teams’ best goons, then all the better.

Defense wins championships

• Mattyleg says:

I think that Murray’s ability to diffuse those after-whistle scrums means that our effective players don’t get worked up by chippiness and can concentrate on their game.

If no-one is there to stop Lucic or Marchand or whomever from taking cheap-shots, then they’ll do it every time, and get under our skin.

And as for the 12mins, if he’s on whenever the whistle blows in our end, then it doesn’t matter how many minutes he plays.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Ozmodiar says:

Murray also clears traffic from in front of the net before whistles.

• Phil C says:

In hockey, the front of the net is extremely valuable ground. It’s where most of the goals are scored. I think to have success, you have to be able to defend this area and make your opponent pay a physical price everytime they go there. This is why Gallagher gets pounded every game. That pounding is also why more players don’t do it. Despite the obvious tactical value and ability to make huge money, players like Gallagher are rare. No defensemen on the Habs makes the other team pay a physical price for going to the net more than Murray.

• Kooch7800 says:

in a word ….Yes. If you haven’t noticed the habs are not nearly as bullied on the ice this year not nearly as much this year as they have been in recent years. This is in turn to having Murray and Parros etc.

Murray is also pretty awesome on the PK and when the whistles go away in the playoffs he will also be extremely useful.

• Un Canadien errant says:

It’s a valid question to ask, and it may be a case of me noticing the things that prove my biases, but there was a game recently against the Bruins where they were meek and mild, with George Parros and Douglas Murray and Brandon Prust in the lineup. The Canadiens weren’t submitted to outrages, the slashing and running of players were curtailed, and they were able to play hockey. Compare to the last game where only Douglas Murray was left after Travis Moen and Dale Weise was injured, and the Bruins ran amok as they often do.

In a league where intimidation and violence are allowable, almost encouraged as a strategy, and where Milan Lucic can run Ryan Miller and Dominic Moore, but run away from Colton Orr and Georges Laraque, having a Douglas Murray on the ice is an effective deterrent to bullying, despite his Fenwick.

• twilighthours says:

You’re getting too EOTPed, HFS72.

73. WindsorHab-10 says:

I don’t trust those Turds from Ottawa because I have a feeling that they’ll go all out & exact revenge for the 4-1 lead they blew in Montreal which started a great run for us and kind of eliminated Ottawa. Hope I’m wrong but I’d love to see some of our key players be healthy scratches, mainly Markov & Subban.

• The Juice says:

Agree, should rotate key players out of line up between now and end of season to ensure everyone is raring to go for 1st round.

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”
      @JohnnytheJuice

• Hobie Hansen says:

I totally agree. I wish they’d make a bunch of call ups and sit as many players as possible. It would be devastating If Pacioretty, Vanek or Plekanec were hurt as well!

• Mattyleg says:

There are a couple of schools of thought, though.
        Keeping players playing so that they stay hot means that they go into the playoffs with a good head of steam.
        Taking players out could mean that they get out of the groove, and risk injury coming back into the lineup.

Not saying that I agree with either, or whatever.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habcouver says:

I also agree, WH. The Turds are a bunch of thugs who’ll want to goon it up to make up for last game and for their own playoff shortcomings.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

74. B says:

Dogs lose again, 5-4 in a shoot out to OC. Connor Crisp was in for LW Nick Sorkin (who was signed to a PTO Mar.26 after finishing his NCAA career with UNH) and Brady Vail was in for C Robert Czarnik (who hasn’t done much since coming over Feb.6 from LA’s AHL team in Manchester in a trade for Steve Quailer). The only stat for both new Dogs was 1 shot by Crisp. Andrighetto scored his 16th to temporarily move into a tie with Blunden and Dumont for the team lead in goals until Dumont scored his 17th about 10 minutes later. Dumont also scored the Dogs only goal in the shootout. Hamilton now has 7 games left (5 on the road) and sits 9 points out of a playoff spot.

–Go Habs Go!–

Had hoped the Dogs would be much better this year, but I am not sure that was realistic with the offensive talent (or lack thereof) which they had throughout the season.

Hopefully some new faces at forward next season will help.

• alain58 says:

Hey, I would rather have 4 young players (Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Bournival, and Tinordi) with too much talent to stay in the AHL than good AHL players that make Hamilton competitive. That’s my way yo stay positive.

• jamman says:

Hope Crisp will be good

75. Marc10 says:

It’s pretty amazing how guys can lose a step so quickly. Last year those three thugs were a key ingredient in the Leafs’ arsenal. Now they’re irrelevant and a hindrance.

Incidentally, as we’re bringing up bush league characters, you’ll be pleased to know officiating and rulings by sporting bodies are just as pathetic and inconsistent on the other side of the planet.

Case in point, a vicious tackle left a rugby player paralysed from the waist down a couple of weeks back here in Oz. Here’s the fallout…

7-game suspension for only one of the three offenders and claims of inconsistency in ruling. I didn’t know Daddy Campbell had a twin in Australia…

76. boing007 says:

Ditto! Time to make the donuts.

Richard R

77. jamman says:

One game, just came off a hot streak. 9 points 8 games.

78. EricInStL says:

? I am at home right now, good guess.

79. AceTen says:

Simmonds is a boss!

80. secretdragonfly says:

Is it 4:20 already? :)

81. BJ says:

@John are you tanking it up with Frontenac? I#m dizzy after reading your “expose”.

82. Likewise, was just going to suggest starting just a wee bit after 6PM, unless Frodo is on the opposite side of the pond, then by all means, imbibe!

I’ll have what he’s having!!!!

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

83. BJ says:

I’m not sure if its drinking or smoking it?