Budaj will get start for Habs against Capitals

The Canadiens practised in Brossard Thursday morning before heading to Washington to face the Capitals Friday night (7 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Peter Budaj will get the start in goal for the Canadiens. Budaj has posted a 3-1 record this season with a 1.48 goals-against average and a .945 save percentage.

The only player who didn’t take part in the practice was Rene Bourque, who has a lower-body injury and won’t play against the Capitals.

“I have a lot of respect for backup goalies,” Canadiens goaltending coach Stephane Waite told The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs this week about Budaj.

“You can sit for seven, 10 days and suddenly you have to go in the net and win the game. That’s a tough job. I’ve always said, if the backup doesn’t play a minimum of .500, you don’t make the playoffs. Most of the time, he’s the reason why you make the playoffs or not.”

Waite added: “Peter has a great attitude, he’s always in a good mood and he works hard because he must. After every practice he does extra time, the first on the ice, the last off. He understands his role, which is very important.”

Following Friday’s game, the Canadiens will return home to face Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins Saturday night at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

The Hamilton Bulldogs will be at the Bell Centre Friday night when they take on the Syracuse Crunch, the Tampa Bay Lightning’s farm team, in AHL action. Ticket prices start at $15.50 for the 7:30 p.m. start.

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at the Habs’ practice Thursday:

Galchenyuk-Eller-Prust
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Briere-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-White-Bournival
Parros

Subban-Markov
Gorges-Emelin
Diaz-Bouillon
Murray

(Photo by Kirk Irwin/Getty Images)

Habs’ Gallagher provides spark on any line, by Brenda Branswell

Challenge awaits in Washington, Canadiens.com

Post-practice interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Coach Waite writing a new chapter with Price, by Dave Stubbs

Budaj plays key role with Habs, by Dave Stubbs

A day in the life of Habs’ goalie coach, by Dave Stubbs

Habs get passing grades for first quarter of season, by Pat Hickey

Jack Todd the guest on this week’s HI/O Show

13 years since Therrien was first hired as Habs coach, Stu on Sports blog

Suter vs. Subban for Norris Trophy? Stu on Sports blog

Capitals coach still cultivating relationship with Ovechkin, montrealgazette.com

Capitals fail to stand up to Penguins, Washington Post

Capitals complete homestand against Habs, washingtoncapitals.com

Crosby continues history of winning over Ovechkin, The Hockey News

1. Eddie says:

Two things to keep in mind, please, when you guys throw Desharnais under the bus everyday,

1) no one tries harder, or feels worse about his lack of production. He is a real pro and he deserves to be respected and treated as a pro, unlike our douchebag Mayor, who, if my memory serves me right, was a leader in the Quebec wing of the Liberal party during that Sponsorship scandal. Sketchy is a nice word to describe Corderre.

2) Desharnais is well liked and respected by his teammates, and believe it or not, even in today’s crazy world of upside down morality, that respect still counts for a great deal. Desharnais is not a Kostytsin, a player who takes his money and couldn’t giveaway rat’s tail about the team’s success. Desharnais, like every Hab in this room, cares more about winning than his own personal stats.

2. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Going to be pedantic, now… The accent in Michaël Bournival’s given name is not an umlaut; it’s a dieresis. The umlaut is used in German and indicates a change in pronunciation of the letter to which it is affixed. A dieresis, on the other hand, indicates separation of two neighbouring vowels, as in noël. That is why it’s Mih-kay-ell, and not My-kul, as in Ryder.

3. Hobie Hansen says:

It could be a tough night for Murray tonight, as it will be for Parros when he plays against the Leafs next Saturday. Murray seemed to be finding his game and starting to play better and now he’s been idle for a week. I guess it comes with the territory.

4. commandant says:

The Flames try to move on from under the shadow of Kipper

And in case you missed it we included the highlight of Berra’s crazy bicycle kick save that should be a save of the year contender.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

5. adamkennelly says:

TSN mini headline

The surging Montreal Canadiens attempt to earn a rare victory in Washington when they visit the Capitals at Verizon Center.

WTF???

6. Steeltown Hab says:

I understand where people come from when it comes to the suggestions for Prust or Gorges. But you need to be a top-end player to be captain.

Play on the ice matters and neither of those two listed above are amongst the leagues best at their position. Need to set an example on the ice and off. No offense to Prust because I like him a lot, he’ll never be a captain in this league.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

7. zephyr says:

max is a proven scorer. he & eller are the only 2 real scoring power forwards on this team. both have speed to burn too. galchenyuk will be there soon but he’s only 19 & it looks like he’ll be the best of the bunch. max stuck up for dd & for subban as a shot against mt imo. good for him. he’s right.
    don’t like plek’s line. can’t have 2 midget wingers with him if neither is named gallagher.
    hope it’s true that murray is playing. I like the cube but we can’t dress so many small dmen.
    hopefully the habs continue with an aggressive forechecking game.

• shiram says:

Pleks line does look bad on paper, but I thought they had a great game last time around.
      I don’t think either of Eller or Max really fit the power forward criteria, the only reason it gets affixed to them is because we want the team to be big and physical and those 2 are about the biggest forwards we have, but they don’t play the power forward game.

8. Bun E. Laroque says:

I don’t know who the next captain of the Habs will be but I think the captain of the future could well be Bournival.

9. Phil C says:

Desharnais does not need the best wingers to be productive. He scored 22 points in 43 games in his first season playing mainly 3rd and 4th line minutes. Projected over 82 games would be 40 points, which is very good production for a 3rd or 4th liner.

ANY centre will score more with a team’s two best wingers, this is nothing unique to DD. Spezza had his three most productive seasons when he had Heatley scoring from anywhere. Staal had a 100 points the year he had Cole on his wing following the lockout. This year he has 13 points. Does Staal also need big wingers to score?

This is why Grabovski was so mad at the Leafs. They busted him down to the bottom six, then criticized him for not producing.

DD was not producing this season because he was playing badly. That’s it. I know, shocking. No winger in the league would have helped him. He produced last game because he played better. Two of Pacioretty’s goals were gift-wrapped by DD skill, not the other way around.

• shiram says:

He was and still is an exploitation center, and even back then he was played in the most favorable situation to get him and his wingers to score, to the possible detriment of the rest of the top 9.

Having exploitation center and line is perfectly fine, my issue with it is that we have now alot of young players that could benefit from playing those exploitation minutes, but we can’t really give it to them, because DD cannot produce at a decent pace if not for it.

And while he did produce a little back then withouth Max, the same has not been true in the last 2 years.

• Phil C says:

“he was played in the most favorable situation to get him and his wingers to score, to the possible detriment of the rest of the top 9.”

This is revisionist history. DD earned every minute in his first season. He was brought in like any other call up, starting on the 4th line and moving up as injuries and play dictated.

AN exploitation centre? Not sure what this means. He is a play maker, so he produces more with scorers, like any play-making centre in the league. Is that what you mean?

I agree his production is a serious issue. Let’s hope he has turned it around.

• Steeltown Hab says:

What’d he do this year with pacioretty but no Gallagher?….Desharnais is a meant for an expansion team or anyone hurting for depth.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Phil C says:

He sucked all season because he played poorly. Gallagher helped, but even Gallagher is not that good. DD deserves some credit for finding his game again. Let’s hope he keeps it going because he is meant for the AHL at his current production (not including the last game).

For those who love baseball still, a sad day as Michael Weiner passed away. ESPN did a nice little piece on him here, worth watching, seemed like a good leader for the Players Union.

• Eddie says:

I was in a Toronto hotel room when I heard the Expos had signed Dave Cash to a 5 year, 200,000 per, free agent contract. I was stunned at the amount of money. I think it was 1976.

Was at the Expos home opener at Olympic Stadium in 1977 vs the Phillies, Carlton vs Ross the Boss Grimsley, if I’m not mistaken.

I love the Habs, but I grew up in a baseball, football home.

11. montreal ace says:

I really like Prust playing with Eller and Chucky, and what he will bring to the line. Eller while being big and strong, was in over his head being the man with the two kids. I think Eller still has to learn about standing his ground in certain situations, as I have found him to look timid at certain times. I think Prust can help his self confidence grow, in that part of his game.

Woohoo!

This makes me happy!

• bwoar says:

Sorry, but is that a wish, a prediction, or news?

“thoroughbred”

• mark-ID says:

makes sense….considering back to back games.

• Eddie says:

Jim, the reason Markov, Plekanec and Gionta did not suck up for Subban when Cherry and Richards were attacking him publicly is……

The old school players did not appreciate Subban’s style, his cockiness, his flamboyance.

Neither did Jacques Martin or Therrien for that matter.

We see this style from NBA players, from NFL players and from MLB players, but the old guard of the NHL opposes it.

It’s called biting off your nose to spite your face, in my opinion.

Because characters like Subban can really sell the game, especially in the USA, where style is as important as substance in sports, politics, and just about everywhere.

I love Suuban unique character, but there are many who can’t stand it.

I also support the USA through good times and bad, unconditionally.

• Eddie says:

It should read stick up for Subban in that first line, not suck up.

Hahaha! Bloody edt feature?

Well put Ed.

• habcertain says:

I think some Russian players get the same rap, never I thought I would ever say this, but the traditional Canadian players need to lighten up.

• Mattyleg says:

I think that saying their silence was disapproval is a baseless assumption.

There is also the possibility (more realistic, in my opinion, than simple disapproval) that those vets have more class in their little fingers than Cherry and Richards combined and multiplied by Avogadro’s Number, and they weren’t interested in getting into a mud-slinging match with those buffoons.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Eddie says:

How about you Matty? Did you have a problem with Subban’s flamboyance?

I will admit that I did, and still do struggle with it. I am very old fashioned when it comes to my sports heroes. Doesn’t mean i don’t love PK though, just means I struggle with change.

I’m a big fan of that phrase, when you score a touchdown, act like you’ve done it before.

• Eddie says:

Burly, I am too a fan of that phrase. Just lay the ball down on the ground and walk away. And I’ve brought up 3 children teaching them humility all along the way.

But with Subban I never had a problem with it. I just appreciated his talent so much I accepted the whole package right away.

• Mattyleg says:

I have no problem with Subban’s flamboyance!
            I think it’s pretty fun, and refreshing.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Cal says:

The Crank and The Tank in the same line up? Pinch me, I must be dreaming.

12. Mattyleg says:

Posted about this a little while back, but I got another email about it:

I am part of the NHL Fan Faceoff Panel, which sends me surveys every now and then about the NHL, asking my opinion about various things.

They are desperate for people to sign up, Habs fans in particular, I believe, so if you want to have your voice heard by the NHL, I recommend you go to:

CHeers!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

13. twilighthours says:

A reason why HIO is the best: Normand (UCe)

14. Bill says:

Reading across the top lines of my “You might also like”:

10 hot pictures of Pacioretty scores 9 female stars

Had to laugh.

Full Breezer 4 Life

15. Habfan10912 says:

Bruin goaltender Rask last night breaking his stick upset at his teams shootout loss last night. He was quoted as saying that shootouts are a stupid way to decide a hockey game.
    Let the record show I agree with a Bruin.

16. Bripro says:

Jim’s back!!! Woot woot!
    You can thank me anytime.
    I told his son to tell him that I told him to come back.
    Thank you!

Clearly your political background helped in your abilities to bring Jim back. Your bipartisanship is to be commended, thanks for making this site a better place.

17. JM says:

Budaj will be excellent and the Habs will win a close one tonight ….

18. montreal ace says:

Starting tonight we play 19 games in 37 days, which will bring us to the end of December. That my friends is a busy schedule, so I hope we go through it with flying colours. I like the depth of the team, and I don’t mind the mix of players we can ice, as we can adapt to different styles of play.

19. Bill says:

Steeltown, if MB doesn’t lock PK up for eight years I’m personally gonna fly to Montreal and set his lawn on fire.

I didn’t mean that, btw, just in case some idiot does that after I posted it. I won’t set anything on fire. But I will be most put out and likely have to bury my face in a nosegay a la Matty.

20. Bill says:

Lotta firepower on the Caps and they always play us tough. Last game I saw at the Bell was a loss to the Caps actually.

Plekanec has to shut down Ovi and this heavily penalized team desperately needs to stay out of the box. Let the Eller and DD lines pressure the secondary lines of the Caps, capitalize on power-play, and we’ve got a good chance.

Glad Budaj is starting, because Price needs to play fewer games, and Washington is a team he has always really struggled against.

We all know Grabovski is scoring on us tonight, right?

21. j2w4habs25 says:

does anyone else type in “www.habsinsideout.com

Carey Price #31

22. Bill says:

Hey habfan10912, it’s good to see you back!

23. Bill says:

Pacioretty would make a great captain actually. So would Subban or Gallagher or Markov or even Galchenyuk.

Lots of leadership on this squad. Lots of good players. They’ve battled hard so far this season to hang in the playoff race while suffering a ton of injuries. That doesn’t happen without “character”.

• Habfan10912 says:

+76 :)

Thanks Bill. CHeers bud.

• Morenz7 says:

Kinda like that glass-half-full perspective, which is often is short supply here.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Subban should get the C this offseason with his big fat contract if this organization wants to do things right.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Mattyleg says:

I don’t think PK is next in line for captain.
        He’s not even an assistant yet!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habfan10912 says:

I love PK. I just think he’s like a free spirit who probably doesn’t need the added responsibility of the captains title. We just need him to get on the ice and be creative. Anyway, its way too early in that young mans career to seriously consider him for any official title besides “best player”.

• Bill says:

Love those free spirits!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Mattyleg says:

Speaking of free spirits, I attended a bar opening in Dublin many moons ago.
            It was a free open bar.
            The open bar lasted 1.5hrs.
            By the end of that period, there wasn’t a single clean glass in the pub, glasses were stacked three high on the tables and along the bases of the walls, and everyone was completely sh!tfaced.

People kept falling across the tables and knocking drinks everywhere.

I stumbled out of there without my jacket, hat, or backpack, and fell asleep twice walking home; once face-down in the grass next to the Grand Canal, once lying on a flight of stone stairs.

It was 6:45 in the evening.

No more free spirits for me, thank you very much.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Sounds like a good time Matty, fortunately for me, that sounds like my usual Friday night! And for Frontenac probably 4-5 nights a week, except he likes to include walking his dogs into that staggering walk.

CHeers bud!

• Mattyleg says:

It was kind of a good time, Burly.
            From what I remember…
            Mostly it was just bedlam and confusion.
            And profound, profound illness afterwards.

I know for a fact that I wasn’t the only one who missed work the following day.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• DipsyDoodler says:

I agree. Make PK the Captain. Let’s the world know we know he’s a leader.

• Bripro says:

I think they should give it to Brandon Prust

24. rhino514 says:

Ovechkin is a guy who can pot 50 goals in his sleep and he basically mailed in two consecutive seasons of 38 and 32 goals. No injury, nothing weird. Just lost it, in the middle of his prime.
    I can´t think of any scorer in recent memory that talented, underperforming for so long without injury or age being a factor.

• Habfan10912 says:

Have to agree it was bizarre but like DD’s slump, it never seemed to be caused by lack of effort especially when his team had the puck. Any mailing it in criticism was more indicated with his defensive play. Weird is the right adjective.

25. Mattyleg says:

Morning everyone!

Reading some curious things below about Max only sticking up for DD, and then people drawing the conclusion that (a) he doesn’t stick up for anyone else, and (2) this somehow makes him captain material.

Neither of these have any basis in anything, as far as I’m concerned.

The only reason that Max stuck up for DD was because he was being pestered about him over and over again. The media and the fans were all over him. No other player on the team has had that kind of treatment, so nobody else has needed sticking up for. Even Subban, when he was getting heat, didn’t need it because people were so divided over him that it was hardly universal criticism he was getting.

Secondly, saying anything to the media does not make a captain. We have no idea what he or anyone else says in the room. We can’t have an opinion on who is the captain of the team. Gionta is the captain, people respect him, and he hardly says anything in the media. Many people’s favourite, Koivu, was just as schtum as Gionta is, because they both know, as most in the league, that you don’t prove your leadership by talking to the media. That’s a chore that you have to do, period.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

26. DipsyDoodler says:

I don’t understand why people always criticize Ovechkin. (Idiots like Mike Milbury aside.)

Ovie has had only one season in which he had fewer points than games played (11-12 when he still got 38 goals). Last year he had a prorated 55 goal 100 point season, and pretty much single-handedly dragged the Caps into the playoffs. This year he is on track for 70 goals.

He has 61 points in 58 playoff games.(J Toews has 64 in 75 on a better team.)

• Steeltown Hab says:

Ovechkin is an absolute stud. Will do anything to win, don’t tell me there’s anything better about Stamkos than him. Just stop.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Habfan10912 says:

Like all players, over a 82 game + season he’s occasionally off his game but on just about every night he’s the best player on the ice. People like to point that out those rare occasions when he’s off. I wonder if his ethnicity is partly to blame for the criticism?

The folks in Washington are in love with him and he appears to be very fan friendly to them as well. I wonderful player who could play on my team any day.

• Steeltown Hab says:

lol 100% hockey media and fans are racist and some reason think it’s okay/are in denial….Perfect example, look at Kadri and look at Marchand…both little sh**s, I hear way more disrespect thrown around about Kadri than I do Marchand who’s significantly dirtier.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Mattyleg says:

Steel, I disagree about the racism.

People are all over Kadri right now because his offense is still fresh in everyone’s minds. Marchand hasn’t done something heinous in a little while, but when he did in the past, everyone was tarring and feathering him. Look at Matt Cooke. A white boy that everyone STILL hates.

Has nothing to do with skin colour, man.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Steeltown Hab says:

Man, it’s not obvious racism but it is racism, why do you think soo many people talk badly about Subban? Is he the first player to come in the league a little cocky? I’ve never heard that talk about Doughty, Patrick Kane, or any other young stars. It’s not as direct as it once was in the world. But it’s obvious.

The triple low-5…how much did we heard about the flamboyance of Price in regards to that? None, it was always the flamboyance of Subban. Wake up man.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Mattyleg says:

First of all, don’t tell me to wake up.
            I’m happy to discuss, you don’t need to say things like that to have a conversation. If you don’t like opposing opinions, don’t come on here.

Secondly, Doughty, Kane, etc. didn’t have the same kind of happy-go-lucky style as Subban, so there was never any similarity. The comparison that I can best make is Sean Avery, who (yes, I know he was an a-hole) was very very often pointed out and picked on for being cocky (all his idiotic and disrespectful comments aside), and over-exuberant on the ice. Hell, even Ovechkin was criticised for his jumping-into-the-glass celebrations!!

The triple-low-five was always about the two of them. If you think that they were only criticising Subban, you might be being too sensitive.

Look at other black players in the league: Iginla, Simmonds, Okposo, Ward, Seth Jones, Oduya, Peckham… the list goes on and on. There are never any race-related comments about them.

I believe that there are racist people in the world, and I feel sorry for them because it’s a sign of ignorance. Pointing a finger at the NHL and at the media for racism and discrimination is wrong, in my opinion.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habfan10912 says:

I fully endorse Matty’s first paragraph.

• huge_polar_bear says:

It’s funny how these labels seem to stick. Ovie suffered from the “oh well I guess he is not as good as Crosby” syndrome. Had an off year and all of a sudden he gets more criticized then he deserved. A little similar to Subban who for some reason is still considered a player that dives and practices the infamous slew foot. this perception is based on fans that clearly do not watch him day in, day out. I would venture that it is the same for Ovie… First impressions, got to make a good one or it can dog you for a long time.

Not sure if my post down below was considered critical of Ovechkin, when I mentioned that I think McPhee would have traded him. It isn’t critical of Ovie the player, but rather I thought McPhee had a pretty good roster but perhaps would have liked to tweek or reset it somehow. However, sometimes the best trade is the one never made.

He is again showing how great a player he is, but a GM is eventually judged by Playoff success. And that team has not had success in recent years.

27. Steeltown Hab says:

After listening to Paciorettys TSN 690 I’ve lost even more respect for him…he actually said Desharnais had a short leash this year and he thought it was unfair ahahahahah…. ya I wonder what Subban, Eller, Beaulieu, White, Leblanc would have to say about that.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• knob says:

Pacioretty is tough to read…sometimes I wonder if he would rather be on another team. Perhaps I am just paranoid.

• Eddie says:

You might want to reconsider your position on Max going forward. Anyone can see that Max’s leadership on this team is growing month after month.

Max will be wearing a letter on his jersey by next season.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Ppl just like his non-chalant demeanor and size. In terms of a leader. Subban and Gallagher are the on-ice heartbeat. Pacioretty only seems to step up or say something if its relating to the defense of Desharnais specifically.

Happy to have him on our team. Wouldn’t consider him for a letter on his jersey over Subban, Gallagher, Eller, Markov, Plekanec.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Eddie says:

Subban and Gallagher are terrific, I agree.

When a player speaks out publicly questioning the team’s offensive game, then pots a natural hat trick that same night, that is some kind of leadership.

• Habfan10912 says:

Once again we find ourselves on the same side of an issue. I think we’re seeing the emerging leadership position for Patches.

Steel raises a good point though that Patches needs to treat all his teammates as well as DD, otherwise……..

CHeers bud.

• Cal says:

Weirdest Hab hat trick ever.
            Streaky players don’t get letters on their jerseys.

• Eddie says:

Jim, I’m nor surprised we agree.

Cal, all scores are streaky. The snap shot was classic Max, a deflection in front of the net was typical for a scores goal.

The goal that went in off his skates? Well he’s busting to the net? What’s wrong with getting a little lucky when you put yourself in the perfect position.

Weirdest hat trick ever? That’s harsh.

Do you not like Max, Cal?

• Ozmodiar says:

“Weirdest Hab hat trick ever” doesn’t sound all that harsh to me.

• Cal says:

When Pac plays on the perimeter- like he’s done most of this season- I don’t. He’s ineffective when he’s playing like that.
            The other thing is that he needs Gallagher to go to the net for him. He’s got to learn to pay the price to score goals or he’s Michael Ryder II. Nice shot but nothing much else.

• habcertain says:

He is a perimeter player because he is a shooter, that’s where he needs to be.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Pacioretty is thoughtful and well spoken, and he sticks up for his teammates. I’m proud he’s a Hab.

(He probably wouldn’t care that you disrespect him, if he knew.)

• Habfan10912 says:

I understand your take completely but for me I had just the opposite opinion, Steel, especially his comments concerning the Mayors tweet.

Right or wrong, Patches defended a teammate. To me this is exactly what the leaders of the team should have done when PK was under attack by Carter and others around the league. Instead we heard crickets from our so called leaders like Gionta, Pleks, Gorges and Markov.

I look at it as a leader in the locker room supporting and defending a teammate whose having a rough go of it. And I’m saying all this as someone who thinks DD has been getting too much slack and should be in the Hammer.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Pacioretty only rises for DD, he always references him and Desharnais playing well together this that. A leader thinks about the team and not who he’s playing with (ex. Plekanec, he’ll play with anyone and do whatever the team asks, same with Subban, Gallagher, etc.)

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Eddie says:

In the “this, that” was a comment about the whole team. He made a great and significant point.

Against the Lightning I was watching Mark Barberio very closely. Happen to know his family so I was so pleased for the young man to be playing in front of them.

Barberio was pinching at our blue line, taking chance after chance, and keeping tons of pressure on the Habs. We were being locked down in our own zone by a rookie dman who has only played a few NHL games in his career.

Max rightly brought this forward. We needed to stop playing on our heels, and start moving the puck quicker and more efficiently so we could catch dmen like Barberio out of position.

That had nothing to do with Desharnais.

That was a very astute and extremely important point that Max was making, challenging the TEAM, not the coach, to play better hockey.

28. JM says:

Tonights game: we have better defence they have better offence take your pick ….

29. SmartDog says:

People keep suggesting we trade a bundle of unwanted but reasonably proven players for a higher level guy who may have fallen out of favor. Quantity for quality as it were.

Question: Is there a team out there that is desperate for a couple more regular NHLers that would make such a trade? That DD would be an upgrade on their 2nd line center and Diaz and upgrade on their top 4 D? Because otherwise it just doesn’t make sense (and maybe people can stop suggesting it?).

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Maritime Ronn says:

Desharnais will NEVER be a 2nd line center on any team that is a serious Cup contender.
      Playoff hockey is a different beast

• SmartDog says:

Shhhhhh….. the other teams will HEAR you!!!

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Ozmodiar says:

He won’t be a 3rd or 4th line center on a serious Cup contender either.

If MB is planning on keeping DD around for the duration of his contract, then he might as well trade Markov before the deadline. Trade the expiring asset for a future asset(s).

• third generation haber says:

SmartDog and Maritime Ronn, u2 nearly knocked me on my ass when I read your common sense analysis.

If we have players that we want to get rid of, other teams probably wouldn’t be interested, and likewise teams aren’t interested in acquiring midgets like DD because they’re hoping to win the cup someday.

Just watched TSN highlights; the fact that the Leafs got Peter Holland, big center, (1st round 15th pick) for a mere D prospect and a bit of cap relief on Staubitz blows my mind. Why the F%#$ is it so hard for us to acquire a player like this???

j.p. murray

• Maritime Ronn says:

…..or what about Mason Raymond that has 8 goals and 17 points in 22 games.

He was a UFA looking for a job and the Leafs signed him for 1 year $1M…and not 2 years at $4M per year…

• Habs1962 says:

lets see what happens with Holland first… unproven kid.

• third generation haber says:

Did u see the goal he scored last night or the rocket he put of the crossbar late in the third? Did I mention he’s a big center who can skate? Did I mention he’s still on his ELC? This is a low risk, high reward situation.

Burke may have been an idiot, but Nonis knows what he’s doing.

j.p. murray

• Old Bald Bird says:

Trade suggestions are pure fantasy nonsense.

George McPhee has been GM of the Caps since 1997. Washington went to the Cup final that year but have done little ever since. Their marquee player is a bit of an enigma as he runs hot and cold for long periods of time. His heart and leadership certainly have to be questioned. Then there are all the other high priced players who seem to constantly underperform. Green, Brouwer, Laich and Erat come to mind.

Hab fans are ready to fire their coach or GM at the drop of a hat. Yet McPhee carries on after 16 years at the helm. I find it rather ironic that the Capitals have the same identical record as Montreal at the quarter pole. I wonder what the reaction would have been on HI/O if MB had traded Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat at the deadline last February?

• Maritime Ronn says:

I believe since the 2005 lockout, they have lost 3 game 7 playoff games on home ice – once to the Habs back in 2010.
      once is understandable, yet 3 times?

• DipsyDoodler says:

That trade still boggles the mind.

However the Verizon Center is at 100% capacity. This in a town that used to not really care about hockey. That is probably why McPhee keeps his job.

I thought McPhee was a good GM for the longest time, but the last 3 years things have really unravelled on them. The Coaching carousel after Boudreau was let go seemed to really kick it all off.

That trade last year made no sense at the time and even less sense now. Yah Hab fans would have had McPhee drawn and quartered by now.

I still wonder how much of an issue is the relationship between Leonsis the owner and Ovechkin. I think McPhee would have traded Ovie if allowed to, a couple years ago.

• Habfan10912 says:

That’s a great point, Steve. In defence of us Hab fans, we’re smarter then those dang Capital fans. :)

Dipsy below makes a good point. In addition to sell out crowds, the Capital fans are just ga ga over their team. Downtown Washington is just a sea of red on game nights. McPhee gets some bonus points for selling hockey in a football crazed market.

31. Old Bald Bird says:

In defense of the HIO techies, they’ve only had about 7 years to get this site working properly. It takes time, people. :evil:

Here’s a good read on David Desharnais. As I have stated before, this guy can’t be productive unless he’s playing with top end wingers such as MaxPac. He doesn’t elevate their games, they help make him a viable centre. Of course this hurts the other three centers in that Pleks, Eller and Galchenyuk don’t get to play with the top wingers such as MaxPac and Gallagher. Then there’s the issue of ice time, PP minutes and offensive zone starts. In that regard DD is a leech down the middle.

What’s to be done? Play the hell out of DD with the best people you can give him. Once his stock rises, trade him asap with little concern for the return.

33. Stevie.Ray says:

This years draft is smaller and is lacking as many French kids

34. JM says:

MB not going to make any trades unless one of the top guns is out of the lineup for the remainder of year or a possibility of missing the playoffs and that maybe questionable …

• Maritime Ronn says:

Agreed.
      No team appears to be dumping salary as was the case in the past. Then with the exception of just a few teams, all are still in the hunt.
      Stuff will probably start happening about 30 days before trade deadline

35. Cal says:

Is the reply feature down?
    Another gremlin-filled day at HIO.

36. Danno says:

Edit feature still down?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

37. Maritime Ronn says:

Good morning

It’s never a good time to play against the Caps, and tonight the Habs will have their hands full.

After a streak of 8-1-1, the Caps were embarrassed on their home ice last Wednesday when they were shut out 4-0 by the Pens and outshot 40-18…32-14 in the first 2 periods.
    Surely Coach Oates and the boys can’t be very happy and one could expect they’ll come out flying tonight.

Here’s believing Budaj will have to be big time sharp early as Ovie and the guys will probably have an early onslaught.
    1 point would be a good thing tonight.

• Cal says:

As I was saying about 30 minutes ago, this weekend is a gut check for the Habs. Can the team compete against superior firepower in Washington and a just plain superior team in the Pens? Going to be either fun or very painful to watch.

38. John Q Public says:

I ❤
    . . .$88888……,888888D88+……..
    . ..888…$Z$$$$$$$$Z$$…….8888….
    ….88..Z$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$Z$$$Z.8….
    . 88..$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.88 ..
    88.$$$$$$$$$……….~$$$$$$$$$$$.8…
    88.$$$$$$..D88~..8888..O88 .,$$$$$$.8..
    8.$$$$$$.88..8~. 8+?8..O8.888,.$$.~8,…
    8.$$$$$.8I…8~……..O8. . Z88.88. …
    8.$$$$$.8O…8~. . ….O8. …88878…..
    8.$$$$$$.88=.8~..8..8 .O8.8888..$.,8….

40. Walmyr says:

good morning gentlemen…

game day!

CHeers

41. The Jackal says:

Very slow day on HIO!

Thanks to UCE for the 24CH recap, love that show!

Just watching the Sharks vs. TB game – Sharks are very good team, hope we can emulate them in some way. Hawks…. dominated the Jets, hoping MB is using them as a paradigm of a contender.

Anyway, good night for hockey – laffs and bruins lost.
    Hopefully our Habs can take both games this weekend.

GO HABS GO!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• savethepuck says:

How about the Kings outshooting the Devils 27-5 in a scoreless tie after 2 periods. I don’t think I’ve ever seen only 5 shots after 2 periods before. I’ve seen low shot totals in periods before but not 2 in a row.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• The Jackal says:

Oh yeah? Did not know that was going on – pretty nuts!
        SJ just made it 5-0 with 2 quick goals in the 3rd. TB really missing Stamkos now. They definitely put up a heartfelt push after he went down but his absence is clear now.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

42. Mattyleg says:

Oh, and for anyone who’s interested, England are 82-2 on Day 2 of the First Test at the Gabba.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

43. Mattyleg says:

Hey, just read Steeltown’s response to my post about Bournival.

Just to clarify:
    He’s actually 21st in Rookie Forwards for TOI, not 36th.
    He gets an average of 12:33/game.
    That’s only 2 minutes and 47 seconds less per game than Hertl, who has 6 points more than Bourni.

I think it’s a bit silly to think that more minutes would automatically result in more points.
    He’s putting goals in on the 4th line, why change that?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

44. Rudy says:

Gremlins on the mobile site. It hate the new upload btw

45. Rudy says:

Thank you for the episode summary!

46. Rudy says:

Canadiens errant, thank you so much for that run down on the episode. Those of us in the states have no way of seeing the French or English episodes. A guy was slowly putting them up on YouTube, but they have been taken down. And now the only posts are by the official Canadiens website. Really appreciate the summary!

47. Rudy says:

Canadiens errant, thank you so much for that run down on the episode. Those of us in the states have no way of seeing the French or English episodes. A guy was slowly putting them up on YouTube , but they have been taken down. And now the only posts are by the official Canadiens website. Really appreciate the summary!

48. Storman says:

Halak balaking everything, mighty impressive again tonight,,

• Bill says:

I am glad he beat the Bruins for us. Didn’t think he was anything special in that game though. Nice try, Storman!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Storman says:

Bill Price has won me over this year standing up way more, much more active with his glove hand,, but Halak was awesome tonight especially in the 3rd period, RDS just showed a highlight package of game savers.and solid positional play..

PS i am not a Halakian or a Pricebot, just like effort, execution and Hab victories.

• Bill says:

Well, it was a nice game for Halak, we can agree on that :)

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Storman says:

Let’s hope our back up QB plays well in DC tomorrow night beating Ovechkin and Co. followed by our regular QB winning for us against Crosby & Co., and maybe we can dream about a better than average .500 season.

49. govenah says:

Gotta make Rask freak out like that when we play them.

Grind this.

50. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Max Pac on 690 talking about confidence,media pressure,DD,etc.

• savethepuck says:

Everybody should listen to this to interview to see how it is to be a Hab. How the media construes comments and how a player has to be careful when answering reporters in Montreal ( very interesting between the 4 and 5 minute mark). It is shameful that this goes on. I posted yesterday morning about Max being asked a question after Tuesday’s game about his remarks after practice Monday that sounded like he was criticizing the coaching staff about the team not playing offensive hockey, where in reality he was only making a comment repeating what the coaching staff had been saying during practice. Then everyone thinks he is calling out the coach and he’s unhappy.
      I just don’t understand the need for them to try to create controversy.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

51. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Predators need to work on their empty net shooting. Maybe Brière could be traded there, and he can show ‘em how it’s done!

52. jols101 says:

Blues/Bruins going to OT. Bruins get at least 1 point.

53. Un Canadien errant says:

1:00 We see Stéphane Waite, the Canadiens goalie coach, receive his Stanley Cup ring from a Blackhawks Vice-President, who made the trip to Winnipeg for the presentation. It’s noteworthy that he won two Stanley Cups in Chicago with different goalies, in light of the excellent work so far this season from the Canadiens’ duo of Carey Price and Peter Budaj.

2:05 Now we see Mr. Waite working with his charges, specifically trying to find out what the bounces off the boards will be like. It’s interesting how guys that have been in the league for years can still be surprised by what they find. In Winnipeg, they find that hitting the boards on the lower part behind the net regularly leads to a fast rebound right in the crease. We then see Mr. Waite sharing this intel with defencemen coach Jean-Jacques Daigneault and head coach Michel Therrien, and you can see the wheels turning, how to not get caught by this, and how to turn it to their players’ advantage.

3:00 I want to be an NHL player. They serve you dinner and you get to play a trivia game while you eat? Trivia on the Canadiens? I would rule at both those things!

Brandon Prust cracks that if he wins he wants some powerplay time as his prize. With Ryan White’s jape last episode of not having had a shift in overtime for ten years, it reaffirms that these guys are intensely aware of their icetime and how they’re used on special teams, and how being used or not used in certain situations can lead to resentment or misunderstandings. Most guys are team guys and will accept their ‘role’ on the team to a certain degree, but it doesn’t mean they have to like it.

Michel Bergeron on l’Antichambre talks about this phenomenon often, how you can’t ask a heart and soul guy like Brandon Prust, who gives everything he has, to sacrifice himself game after game while giving him only fourth-line minutes. Mr. Bergeron also thinks that Travis Moen’s lackluster performance last season and in spurts this season is due to being confined to fourth-line duty. Not many guys are going to be eager to get punched in the face for the benefit of their teammates while playing 4 minutes a period, the thinking goes, and while other players who don’t make the same sacrifices get the easy PP goals and the glory and the bunnies.

4:50 Brandon Prust scores an easy goal on a bounce pass off the boards behind the net. You can hear Coach Daigneault telling P.K. to pay attention to that, trying to plant a seed for his young defenceman, giving him another option when he has the puck at the blue line.

In the next scene, P.K. does as he damn well pleases, and blasts a puck through for another goal. P.K. don’t need no fancy bounce passes to put up points.

5:15 We see Max pulling his hamstring in slo-mo, with accompanying lugubrious music, appropriate enough to underline the beating my fantasy teams are about to take.

Later, after a nice win, we see the players coming back to the room, and Max, on crutches, joins the players who were scratched in the ‘receving line’. You can see the concern on everyone’s face as they ask him what the deal is.

7:15 We see Josh Gorges at home, with his ‘boarder’ Brendan Gallagher. Josh has a great-looking Bulldog, which is cool, but also a new bride, and he discusses how the co-habitation might have been awkward but so far everything is going well. Josh mentions he was asked to take in Brendan, and I wonder who does the asking: Marc Bergevin, Michel Therrien, or someone else in the organization. Also, I wonder what quid pro quo he gets. Does his No Trade Clause become ironclad? Does he get special treatment for being a ‘team guy’? Fascinating stuff.

Whenever I hear of these arrangements, I think of an older player with a mondo big house, and kids running around. So the veteran and his wife don’t mind the ‘intrusion’, they already don’t have any privacy with the rugrats, and you can plunk the young player in a semi-suite downstairs. Josh’s setup doesn’t look like that at all, more like a smaller townhouse, so not ideal. You get the sense that Brendan gets that as well, and even though he’s already a very polite and down-to-earth kid, you can tell he’s not quite walking on eggshells, but maybe actively being on his best behaviour.

I wonder why they didn’t ask him to move in with Chucky, they could play video games together and have Mama Galchenyuk feed them tonnes so they grow up big and strong. But then I think of Alex’s sister, and I get it, that could be trouble.

8:40 I want to be an NHL player, Part Deux: Can you see that massive fridge with every kind of Gatorade and Vitamin Water and fruit juices you’d ever want, along with a rack of protein and Clif Bars, just there for the taking? I’m trying hard to remember, but none of my workplaces ever had that kind of perk I don’t recall.

08:58 Pre-game meeting in the video room. Freeze-framed, we find, again, that Jarred Tinordi and Nathan Beaulieu (attaboy!) are sitting in the front row. Eager beavers/teacher’s pets Francis Bouillon and Josh Gorges are in the first and second row, respectively. Travis is up front in the second row, but you get the sense it’s to snag an aisle seat for the leg room he requires for his massive quads. Class clowns René Bourque, Brandon Prust and Carey Price are at the back. And again, David Desharnais and Daniel Brière are side by each. P.K. is raptly attentive. Andrei doesn’t need to hear any of this.

11:30 We see the phantom elbowing call against P.K. in the Columbus game, from a great angle and in slow-mo, showing us just how out-to-lunch the refs were on that one. Why we can’t have a video judge to review these, and incidents like the clear highstick Brendan took in the chops earlier in the game and for which he had to get stitched up, I don’t understand.

We also see Michel Therrien standing on the bench, aghast, yelling at the ref that there was no penalty on the play, but I disbelieve what I see, since we all know that Coach Therrien is against P.K., wants him to fail, and never sticks up for him. So that sequence must have been conjured up at ILM’s studios, somehow, and spliced in.

14:40 Geoff Molson announces to the players that French lessons will be made available to everyone on the team free of charge. And it astounds me that this isn’t already happening, that it isn’t part of the team’s normal functioning for years. I thought this was covered, and once wrote a post saying these little details should be extended to the players’ wives and significant others, to allow them to integrate into the community, to feel more involved.

I may have been misled by a previous “Nos Canadiens” episode focused on Steve Wisniewski, who we saw working with his French tutor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huOELrtd0O4). At the time, I thought the tutor, while well-meaning, may have been a little dry, and Steve would quickly grow bored with these. Instead, I thought how the team should integrate these lessons in team events, like for example a morning skate, where every part of the ice is labelled: ‘Le poteau’, ‘La ligne bleue’, ‘La bande’. By working these into their everyday life, and making it applicable to their world, maybe the players would have a better shot at retaining the lessons, and maybe enjoying them more.

Anyway, good initiative Mr. Molson, but, with respect, why did it take so long?

16:45 Michel Therrien trying to make a point to Jarred Tinordi through a little joke, saying there’s thirty places you’re not allowed to turn the puck over in your own end, and asks him what those places are, with the answer being any city where they have to play an NHL team. Jarred is baffled, due to the poor grammar and pronunciation of the coach, so we see a language barrier at work there, but the coach saves it at the end and everyone has a good chuckle. Jarred leaves the video room, still wondering what happened, but it’s good to see the coach using a different communication strategy to get his message across.

And I did notice that all the players are essentially in the same seats in the video room that they were in last time. So they’re creatures of habits, they’ve claimed their seats for the season, and I guess I won’t try to derive too much about the team dynamics from this detail anymore, unless something changes.

18:05 Michel Therrien trying yet another tack. We see the coaches in their room between periods fuming about losing in every aspect of the game: faceoffs, puck control, etc. Then, Coach Therrien enters the dressing room, but instead of yelling and swearing, takes a seat and calmly asks the players what’s going on. Again, evidence that he’s not just a one-trick pony.

But it’s not enough, as play resumes we see little reversals that announce the start of the slide.

Daniel Brière’s concussion, with no penalty called on the play, for what was at least a deliberate decision by the Nashville player to not deviate from his course and collide with the opposing player.

We see the goal called a goal on the ice, but then overturned for lack of evidence that it crossed the line upon further video review, in clear violation of the principle, which states that plays stand as called unless there is clear video evidence to overturn them. The ref explains to the Canadiens bench that he thought he saw the puck cross the line, but that the three other officials saw that it didn’t go in. And I call B.S. It’s not that they definitely saw it not go in, it’s that they were pretty sure it didn’t go in. Another example of a review in Toronto going against the Canadiens. And I’m still waiting for a statistical analysis of the percentage of calls that go against the Canadiens, it should be 50% with enough incidents, but I suspect it’s much higher.

And we see Brandon Prust hit the boards head first, and bugger up his shouldder, and that may be the most costly loss of this game, which will hurt the team for a while (yes, we’re purely being prescient here).

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons

• Un Canadien errant says:

Sorry, trying to edit my post to mention that these are my thoughts on Episode 4 of 24 CH, but somehow I can’t edit my post. The window pops up, says it’s loading, but nothing happens. The hamsters must be watching football instead of powering the servers.

• donmarco says:

Dude, thanks a lot. And don’t worry about the editing. It’s been off all night.

54. ProHabs says:

Anyone else getting the feeling that Marc Bergevin is working the phone to make a huge, shocking trade.

• jols101 says:

Not sure about a huge, shocking trade but everyday when I log on to this site I hope and pray to see the headline read – DD traded for whatever.

• ProHabs says:

That would be nice but it would be considered a minor trade. I’m talking names like MaxPac, Beaulieu, Gorges, Pleks. Something is going to happen soon. You can see on 24CH, by the amount of times Bergevin sinks his head into both of his hands, that he is getting fed up of this mediocre team. He is losing patience and is about to snap.

• jols101 says:

If he traded one or a combination of the names you listed it would definitely qualify as a huge trade. Bergevin has shown he is a very patient guy and a move like that would be out of character. You never know though. I’ve watched every 24CH and he does look frustrated often.

• Bill says:

If he loses patience, snaps, and makes a bad trade, he shouldn’t be GM of a professional sports club.

Also, trading Gorges wouldn’t be a major trade. I’d be pretty thrilled to get a 2nd rounder for the guy.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• jols101 says:

The one move I’ve been thinking would be a good one is Gorges and a 2nd to the Oilers for David Perron. Perron takes Gionta’s spot on the Pleks’ line and we trade Gionta to get a 2nd round pick back.

But, Perron just had a 4 point night and I think the Oilers value him highly.

• scavanau says:

DD traded for magic beans