Budaj gets start vs. Bruins; Bourque a healthy scratch

Peter Budaj will be in goal for the Canadiens when they take on the Boston Bruins Wednesday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Carey Price took part in the morning skate in Brossard, but will miss his eighth straight game with a lower-body injury suffered at the Sochi Olympics. The Canadiens are 3-3-1 without Price in the lineup.

Defenceman Francis Bouillon will return to the Habs lineup and be paired with P.K. Subban, while Jarred Tinordi will play with Douglas Murray, and Andrei Markov will be with Alexei Emelin. Mike Weaver will be a healthy scratch on defence.

“I have full confidence that Francis Bouillon will be a strong presence for us,” coach Michel Therrien told reporters in Brossard after the morning skate. “He’s always had a great work ethic and attitude even when he is not playing, and he’s in good enough shape to handle a big workload.”

Forward Brandon Prust, who has recovered from an upper-body injury, also returns to the lineup, while George Parros, Dale Weise and Rene Bourque will be healthy scratches. Michael Bournival, who is still recovering from a concussion, took part in the morning skate wearing a non-contact jersey.

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings are expected to look against the Bruins:

Vanek-Plekanec-Gionta
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Eller-Briere
Moen-White-Prust

Bouillon-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Murray-Tinordi

We’ll have a new HI/O Show up on the site later this afternoon with Chris Nilan, Dave Stubbs and Stu Cowan focusing on the Bruins-Habs rivalry. Former Hab Nilan will let you know where on his body he has a Bruins tattoo.

(Gazette file photo from Canadiens Hall of Fame)

Habs vs. Bruins preview, NHL.com

Game Day Report, Canadiens.com

Bruins going for sixth straight win, bostonbruins.com

Tale of the tape: Habs vs. Bruins, NHL.com

Habs own rivalry with Bruins, NHL.com

New role for Vanek in first Habs home game, NHL.com

Morning skate interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Bruins reach out to former teammate Peverley, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Habs hold fifth edition of radio-telethon, Canadiens.com

Vanek improves Habs’ odds for Stanley Cup, Stu on Sports blog

Canadiens-Bruins rivalry photos, SI.com

Canadiens legends photos, SI.com

Iconic Bruins photos, SI.com

1. secritagentman says:

One has to wonder why we traded for Parros. If he’s not going to play against the Bruins, who is going to play against? Just the Leafs? Rediculous.

2. jlgib1019 says:

I don’t agree not dressing Parros vs. the B’s,who will be coming in like an angry buzzsaw after the way we handled them last time. Prust can’t fight as one tilt vs Lucic or Thornton could put him out for season. White ,while playing decent 4th line minutes,may be the leastt physical player on team now. And I don’t want to see Tinordi go with those guys either

jr

3. wjc says:

Budaj, will be great tonight. Who’s with me, maybe not a shut out but lights out. Who’s with me, who?…………….WHO?

Budaj has been great all year! GREAT!

He made a mistake, he will redeem himself….trust me, have I ever lied before……he is relieved he gets another chance.

WHO’S WITH ME!

wjc

4. Psycho29 says:

new thread been going on for a while….

5. The Jackal says:

There are so many actual criticisms that can be levied against MT, but the usual anti-coach crowd makes the same inane, unsubstantiated comments over and over. They would say the same general bs about any coach. Whoever replaces MT will see the same ignorant criticisms.

And FFS, Vanek-Plek-Gio is not a checking line. Once you put Vanek there it becomes the team’s most versatile line. These kinds of comments are formulated with as much hockey sense as some baboons claim Eller has!

6. Storm Man says:

Anybody who has MT as a coach has value drop as a player one of the reasons Vanek would never stay here after the summer.

7. Habitant in Surrey says:

…when We play the Bruins one feels at least some respect

…players like Bergeron, and a coach like Jodoin …even Chara I would feel little antipathy for if not for the Pacioretti incident

…Marchand ? …ugly little batard …but a damn good little player

…I respect the Bruins even more today than during the era of Orr and Esposito

…of course I admired Orr and Esposito when they were not playing Us, but the overall Bruins team of that era were ‘the enemy’, along with the Phlyers

…today, the Bruins I want to beat bad, buts it’s da Weeds that are the truly loathsome …da Weeds is the only team I need to take a shower with antiseptic following a loss

…losing to da Weeds is the only time I become personally embarrassed if We suck enough to lose to them

8. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Phaneuf’s hit last night looked a little high. Figure a suspension is in the offing?

9. frontenac1 says:

Reports.Peverley to undergo heart procedure.Out for the season.

10. Dr.Rex says:

MT definetely has the ability to make Vanek affordable in free agency.

11. Dr.Rex says:

Habs 6 Bruins 2

Vanek, Vanek, Vanek, Vanek, Moen and Vanek.

12. johnnylarue says:

@GGtheHab (from below):

I don’t want the Leafs team by any stretch of the imagination, but from an entertainment standpoint there is no question that scoring goals is more exciting than preventing them.

So if I were being honest, I would have to answer that, yes, I would prefer to have the Leafs’ 198 goals for/205 against than the approximately 35 goals the Habs have scored this season. Damn straight I would.

• GGtheHab says:

given their place in the standings the formula seems to be working…but it really is annoying when they pull out wins in games they get outshot by 20…but a win is a win…

• johnnylarue says:

No doubt. They’re a “hot mess” from a systems standpoint, but they’ve got finish to spare. Not totally sure my nerves could handle rooting for a team for which a 3-goal lead is not even close to ensuring a victory…

To be fair, the Habs have looked every bit as disorganized and outmatched at times this season, but have been saved by some primo goaltending and shot blocking in lieu of buckets of goals.

At the end of the day, I’d much rather watch JVR shelf two goals in a game for my team than watch shots bouncing off Gorges’ shin pads all night. But that’s just me!

13. Maritime Ronn says:

@ Front

Just in case you missed it
    Mirasty vs. Theriault

Almost funny.
    As the fights starts – the arena music starts.
    In the middle of the fight, Theriault points to ‘heaven’ – twice!
    At the end…well, you’ll see

• frontenac1 says:

Yeah, I posted that one earlier amigo. Hey did you know that Sorel Tracy flies Nasty in for “certain games” and pay him about 2 grand each time? He also bought a Tim Hortons franchise out in Sask. Made a lot of tax free bucks over in KHL apparently. Saludos!

• Psycho29 says:

Don’t know if you saw my post yesterday. This Theriault guy is 37; has over 3,000 PIMs in the Quebec Senior League. One season he had 515 PIMs in 39 games.
      I know he did some MMA/UFC stuff and I heard he does some ‘collecting’ in the off season for some “businessmen”…

I went to a bunch of games in the early 2000’s, a real circus. A pre-game presentation to a girl in a wheelchair, and guys from both teams were trash talking. (Verdun vs Laval)

• CJ says:

I used to have tickets to the Cornwall Comets. It was a gong show every game. Some tough dudes entertained the blood thirsty fans. At less then $10 bucks a game, you couldn’t go wrong.

I was at a game in Cornwall one night when the opponent (and I can’t recall the team, but they had Mike Stacey) had a player who had no gloves. I guess it saved him from having to drop them.

14. Prop says:

Vanek pots his first tonight.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

15. frontenac1 says:

Snowed in at the Ranch today amigos. White outs, freaking cold. Hitting the Rum pretty hard already. Hope I make it to game time. Saludos!

16. Maritime Ronn says:

Tough game coming tonight, yet there is a blueprint on how to beat the Bruins.

Perhaps several may dislike the Leafs, yet without the ultimate # 1 NHL coward Diane Phaneuf, they most likely would have defeated the Bruins last year in the playoffs.

Remember, the Leafs held a 4-1 lead in Game 7 with less than 11 minutes to play….

So how did they get to that position in those first 6 games and 49 minutes?

Simply put, the Leafs pressured Chara and showed little respect for his game, his Nephilim size, and some players had the courage to continually hit him and force him into quick plays and mistakes – something he is far from used to.
    Normally teams give him space as they always did with guys like Pronger.
    ————————–
    Stated above was ” Phaneuf The Coward”

While there is little proof needed to prove the point – against the Habs, he only tries to hit Gallagher and runs away from Prust, last night against the Sharks was the Cherry on the Sundae proof.

With the game out of hand, the Coward Phaneuf drops the gloves against Martin Havlat..a 33 year old that has had 1…1 single fight in his NHL career that dates back to 2001.

Don’t believe for 1 moment the Leafs team doesn’t know they have a Coward wearing the C.
    Even though the team belongs to Lupul, that team isn’t going anywhere with the Coward Phaneuf playing top D minutes.

• SPATS says:

“his Nephilim size” Priceless! hahaha

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH

• BobbySmithWasClutch says:

I don’t think the Leafs are going anywhere this season either but not sure I agree that Phaneuf is a coward. He’s tough and effective. I’d rather have him in the playoffs than Markov.

• RetroMikey says:

There is no way in hell the Canadiens can ever beat the Bruins with the lineup they have and the lineup we have and Bruins will still be an Eastern and Cup contender for seasons to come.
      Don’t mind me, I like optimistic fans like you but you gotta face reality, BIG IS BETTER in todays NHL.
      We always have hope in the summer if we can snag some big bodies in our lineup with grit in the summer.
      Can’t see us signing Gionta or Markov in the summer.
      C ya Brian.
      And don’t under estimate the Leafs if the Habs were to meet them in the playoffs, they would pummel our mighty fragile team to the golf courses.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Psycho29 says:

Troll much Mikey?

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Hi Psycho29….I am bot a troll and I agree the leafs right now as they stand are likely to beat the Habs in a series. I doubt they would pummel them though. They have really good goaltending and 3-4 scorers…..we have maybe the goaltending but not the scorers. I hope I am wrong but I don’t think so. Anyhow the moral here is we all are entitled to our opinions without being insullted

• sprague cleghorn says:

Nephilim… beauty.

… ‘ow could we forget that?

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Hi Ronn….good post and you know I watch Chara as often as any other player when I get the chance. He has fallen off quite a bit in the last 2-3 years. He is slower for sure but always was slow……he now gives up the puck quite often…as you suggest when he is pressured by an aggressive forecheck. He is living on his past reputation I think. The talking heads are almost always a couple years behind the reality when it comes to bragging on a player so he is still raved about. Now I am not saying he is washed up but just a little over hyped now.

17. SPATS says:

Any word on Weise? He did suffer a nasty gash to his kisser on the heels of the Kadri hit (I’m so punny ;-)

But seriously, he came back with a cage and several stitches same game but has only dressed for 1 more game since. I know we’re deep, but for the life of me, I don’t remember our 4th line skating and banging so well as it did with Weise in there!

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH

18. Habitant in Surrey says:

…if there is one team that We should have a Parros and a Murray on the roster on the same night, this is it

…Me thinks We will do a lot of backseat driving tonight

• BobbySmithWasClutch says:

Actually, in a way I think Chara’s hit on Pacioretty and Bruins Cup win in 2011 has simmered down the physical/dirty/passion level in this rivalry. Also Horton leaving.

19. zephyr says:

from the nhl article:
    It is a role Vanek never played in his time with the Buffalo Sabres and the Islanders, but he said he sees nothing wrong with being asked to do so at this stage of his 10-season career.

“I’m a defensive specialist,” Vanek said Tuesday, tongue in cheek, “so there’s a reason he put me on that line.”

geez. mt is screwing this up.

20. GGtheHab says:

Tough to come up with a post that wont be argued with so how about this:
    our most hated rivals:
    1. Flyers, no redeeming qualities
    2.Bruins, at least we have begrudging respect
    3.Leafs, due to their fans

• desertman says:

Bruins are the worst, hands down. Leafs 2nd because their fans and delusional. Flyers at 3, just because.

• frontenac1 says:

Bruins,Flyers? Hate “em. Leafs? An irritant. Like mosquitos.

• CJ says:

Haha, not sure that anyone could post a topic that we all would agree with. Case in point – most hated rivals.

Personally, I think the list is different for everyone as it holds geographical implications. I can’t stand the Ottawa Senators. I have a number of reasons why I feel this way, some personal, some not so much. I actually don’t mind saying that I hope they fold. I think Hartford is a better hockey market and I would love to see that rivaly restored. I find it sickeing that a Canadian market is essentially on hockey welfare and requires a subsidy from other teams. I find it amazing that, despite the third cheapest tickets in the league, they can not (with the exception of games against the Leafs and Canadiens) sell out their building. The owner is terribly cheap and the fans are fringe at best.

I don’t disagree with your list. However, my list would also include the Senators.

• SPATS says:

Was pointing that out to my wife here in the local rag yesterday. 1/2 page ad pushing games against Colorado, TB and the Rangers. Somewhere in between there’s a Habs game that is sold out. I sure hope you’re wrong about them folding though, would be tough on our local economy here is Kanata/Stittsville

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH

• Buzz Lightbeer says:

I’ve always argued to be a true Senators fan you have to be under 21 or over 80 years old. Otherwise you’re just a bandwagon jumper and not a true hockey fan.

• wjc says:

My most hated rivals: Oakland seals, Cleveland Barons , and of course Hamilton Tigers and the New York Americans.

wjc

• GGtheHab says:

teams aside, most hated fans:
      1. Leafs…delusional, obnoxious..
      2.-29. all other teams fans will at least have rational hockey discussions..hate leaf fans..it was hell sitting in the upper bowl with them last week,, so glad we won…

21. krob1000 says:

HAbs have issues on right side of the ice period. RW team is undersized and on D two out of 3 guys play out of postiion. Habs need to shore up the right side of the ice…a lefty can easily be succesful at RW…but some size is necessary there if playing off wing.

22. Donkey Hoat says:

Two thoughts which I’m sure have been in circulation for a long time, but may bear repeating:

1. Vanek with Pacioretty and Desharnais, Gallagher back with Galchenyuk and Eller, third line is Plekanec, Gionta, Brière.

PLEASE, play ONE full game that way, then evaluate.

2. When our 4th line finally clicked, i.e., when Wiese was brought aboard, the rest of the team played very well. A good 4th line able to shoulder some tough minutes is invaluable, and lets the others rest, as well as takes some pressure off the scorers.
    My point is, as soon as Bournival can return, I really hope he is re-united with Wiese and White.
    In tandem with the top three lines outlined above, we’d have a killer team going in to the playoffs

23. UKRAINIANhab says:

Habs 5
    Bruins 3

Plekanec, Vanek, Pacioretty, Subban, Vanek

24. HUDSONHAB says:

I think if PK and Marky get back to form and Emelin turns it around there will be less pressure on the forwards. But mostly I think the guys may be a little off confidence wise with the goaltending situation.

• BobbySmithWasClutch says:

I think signing Emelin at $4M/season before he’d even shown he could still play the same aggressive/effective way post-major injury was beyond stupid. I don’t trust he’ll ever be the same player and now has no motivation

25. mchenske4 says:

I think maybe Parros should have been dressed. The Gouins may have a tendency to be little stupid tonight.

• It’s funny, I was happy when he was picked up for just that reason. But now, with significantly more team toughness, we just don’t see the Habs pushed around much anymore. And the only two Bruins in his weight class — Lucic and Chara — would never fight him anyway. I think I’ve finally gotten to the point where I’d rather pay $2.5M for an extra couple of Prust-types who can actually play, rather than $1M for a guy like Parros who can’t, really.

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

26. HUDSONHAB says:

Re: Vanek-Pleks-Gionta.
    It’s not that the first two guys couldn’t create and score. It’s that player 3 (#21) couldn’t hold the fort whilst they tried.

27. habstrinifan says:

Dont look now but there’s another P.K. guy causing a consternation in Quebec.

Calling Pauline Marois and P.K.P…

28. GGtheHab says:

for all the people crying about the lack of offense, would u rather we had 198 goals for like the laffs and the 205 against that goes with it? as long as we go further in the playoffs so I dont have to endure their idiotic fans (known as my friends and family) I dont care if score 1 goal a game..it is about winning..

• krob1000 says:

Well..they are winning as much as the Habs right now so not the greatest example.

I see this MOntreal team as a legit contender….I think that they should be able to score plenty of goals and also not give up many…that is what good teams do. Only 2 teams ahead of Motnreal (Minnesota with 5 less and LA with 14 less …have socred less than Montreal)…AND both of those teams have given up less goals than Montreal. OF the top 11 teams ONLY toronto has a worse goals for /aginst differential than Montreal (Montreal even Toronto minus 7). THe best teams can score and keep the puck out and personally I believe Montreal has that ability too…that is what frustrates.

People saying team was a bubble team,etc and that this is great? I don’t buy that…I think they are underachieving right now. They finsihed higher last year and are a better team this year with the additions and also have their core being one year more experienced. I believe this team can make serious noise…is that not caring about winning?

• GL says:

Krob – The real problem with the Habs other than one line. The players don’t know who they are going to be with from Game to Game same as JM was doing to them and should we make the playoffs because of the line shuffling we’ll be gone in the 1st round they had no time together to create chemistry.

• BobbySmithWasClutch says:

Don’t forget, despite the (wonderful) epic collapse, Leafs came closer to beating Boston in last year’s playoffs than we did vs. Ottawa

• johnnylarue says:

Oops–double post!

29. Johnny9 says:

Article says Parros returns to the lineup, but yet hes not in the projected lineup posted!

30. B says:

I recall that earlier on here, many folks were clamouring to get Jagr and play him with Plekanec for some scoring. Now many folks are bemoaning getting Vanek and playing him with Plekanec for some scoring.

–Go Habs Go!–

• GGtheHab says:

two thumbs up..seems like rational thought is more prevalent here today than the usual negativity..

• CJ says:

Hi B. I don’t think the issue is Pleks. At least, it’s not the issue with me. The issue, as I see it, is Gionta. It would seem that Gio and Pleks are a two man unit and not likely to be separated. If this is the case, then I would argue that there are better alternatives for Vanek. If you could separate Pleks and Gionta, then I would see no issue having Pleks and Vanek on the same line with Chucky.

I like Pleks. I think he is underrated. To be fair, I also like Gionta, but I think that there are better options to maximize Vanek’s potential as Gio’s game is not what it was two years ago.

• B says:

Hey CJ. It has only been 2 games with Vanek so I find it a tad early to draw conclusions, but he could work out pretty nice with Plekanec and Gionta. I don’t really think it is a big stretch there. That said, I could understand wanting to try someone else there instead of Gionta. Briere could be a good candidate. Galchenyuk certainly has the skill set, but with that would require moving him or Vanek to the right wing and could result in taking away a lot of the lines defensive strengths. Others have suggested Eller, but I really don’t see him on a top line right now. As for tonight, if things aren’t going as well as hoped then I could see some line juggling happening, heck that even happens in tight games. Either way, I am looking forward to watching tonight and I hope it’s a great game. Enjoy it my friend!

–Go Habs Go!–

• CJ says:

Great points! Yes, I do agree that the sample size remains very small, so, in fairness, more information is required before drawing a firm conclusion. I hope the line finds success. I also think that the third line has a chance to do some major damage. That third line could do some major damage as it presents a match up problem.

Looking back upon the Bruins Canadiens series, we shut down the Bruins top unit and PP. It was the third line that hurt us, and ultimately was the difference in the seven game series. The line of Chucky-Eller-Briere has a chance to be that mismatch.

Enjoy the game! Cheers, CJ

• krob1000 says:

except that Jagr is a right winger…and that Gionta would not have been on that line anymore..that is what people were clamouring for…possibly Chucky on the left.

Chucky-Pleks-Jagr (woudl now be Vanek-Pleks-JAgr after deadline.

• B says:

An interesting thought. Plekanec with Vanek and Jagr would be fun to watch and could produce a lot of points. I’m not sure how they would be on the defensive side of things, but it would have been nice to see.

–Go Habs Go!–

31. CJ says:

As I said last night, it is fair game to question personel decisions. The lineup this evening, although not the exact same as what I might have wanted, is probably as good as any I have seen this year. Could it use a little tweak, maybe. That said, I’m not sure that you are ever going to be find a composition of players that would satisfy this fan base.

I hope the boys play the way they are capable of playing and, if push comes to shove, stick up for each other the way I know that they are capable of fighting for each other.

So, leaving the couch potato strategy aside, it’s time to get behind our team and support them as they prepare to face our rivals.

32. BigB says:

Here’s hoping the Habs kick a$$ tonight. Go Habs!

As much as I like Moen, I was a bit surprised that he’s playing instead of Weise. Also, wouldn’t Parros’ presence stop Lucic from misbehaving?

Habs forever!

33. DipsyDoodler says:

It’s strange how Weise and Weaver being left off has irked the commentariat. I guess neither has played enough games in a Habs uniform to be despised by the gobshites.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

34. Sportfan says:

I still think Weise should be in instead of Moen and that Bouillon is a joke.

Real question what happens to Bournival

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

35. BriPro says:

So these are MT’s lines, right?

Vanek-Plekanec-Gionta
    Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
    Galchenyuk-Eller-Briere
    Moen-White-Prust

Take a look at that.
    Did any of you think the team would be built this way last year, or even when the season started?

I know many (most) put MT’s coaching style into question, but are memories so short that you’ve forgotten…
    1) Jacques Martin
    2) the JM fiasco replacement which turned out to be an anglophone Randy Cunneyworth
    3) the Habs finishing 28th overall (2011-12)
    4) the cookie inspector GM
    5) Scott Gomez
    6) Reggie Houle as GM
    7) Ronald Corey as VP or worse….
    8) Mario (fill in the blank) Tremblay and his complete contempt and jealousy for Saint Patrick?

We all know that I could go on.
    My point is (as Price put it in last year’s exhibition)….
    “Chill out”. It could be much worse. We could be on the outside looking in.

36. Habcouver says:

Why was Erik Haula not suspended for steamrolling Lehtonen?

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

37. 4m3y2j says:

So as I understand it,we have acquired the strongest offensive talent this club has seen in 25+ years to put him on with a defensive specialty line.MB,was this your thinking when you went out and got Vanek?You really need to look at the mind of your head coach and wonder considering this clubs anemic offense .Isn’t the mantra of this organization to put talent in positions where they can succeed ?

john slattery

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Pleks is also our most offensive centre, for what it’s worth.

Err, nevermind, guess DD has passed him. But still, Pleks is pretty creative offensively.

I disagree with the decision to keep Gio on that line. I’d like to see Chucky up there. It’s not like he’s a natural LW either, so may as well try him at RW

• B says:

He kept the top producing line together (it ain’t broke) and put Vanek with the two next highest scoring forwards. Why is that so hard for some to fathom?

–Go Habs Go!–

• krob1000 says:

waht ain’t broke? the teams offense sure is……waht is so hard to fathome about people wanting the team to generate offesne not one line? What epople want is the team to be able to score when necessary…right now a deficit is a kiss of death…sure team playss well with a lead…but you gotta get a lead first. The team is doing fine…but with that lineup should be doing fantastic. I can think of no other team that boasts 5 lines right now.
          As of r you saying he put him with next two top scorers…that is true…but why are they the top scoreres (guys on D line?). It could very easily be Briere, Eller, Chcuky, Plkes,etc if they had that role….the diff in points 5 on 5 is very minimal between the lines and 5 on 5 goals is where the team is really hurting.

• B says:

Assuming Vanek is now the Habs top scoring forward, wouldn’t putting him with the next two top scoring forwards still just be loading up on one line? Isn’t putting him elsewhere an attempt to get more scoring from another line?

I could see perhaps trying Briere or maybe even Galchenyuk (although who would play right wing?) instead of Gionta, but it has only been two games with Vanek so I don’t see that big of a deal in it. As for Eller, I just don’t see the top liner in him that you and some others here appear to..

–Go Habs Go!–

• sheds88 says:

you must not have been watching this season………

• Maritime Ronn says:

GM Bergevin’s job is to acquire players that he believes will make his team better.
      Acquiring an elite player as Vanek should make the Habs better.

Coach Therrien’s job is to create a winning environment.

Coach Therrien’s record in almost 2 years with the Habs when the ‘experts’ predicted a Lottery Pick team last year – and a Bubble team this year most probably looking from the outside in, is:
      64-38-12.

To project an end result based on playing a 2 game back end of a brutal West Coast swing – where a shell-shocked player had to catch a 6:00 AM flight from Edmonton to meet his new teammates in Phoenix, is premature to say the least.

• BobbySmithWasClutch says:

Interesting and valid point, although we all know The Habs are ultimately measured by playoff success. I admit I’m not the most optimistic of Habs fans, but when I look at Therrien I have a tough time coming up with the reasons he’s been reasonably successful the past 2 seasons (bc I think the overall talent level of the team (relative to what I think makes up a good playoff team) is mediocre/average). I’ll chalk it up to his ability to be a good motivator.

• GrimJim says:

but perfectly in line with the thought processes of some of the Commentariat…

38. Maritime Ronn says:

Ghosts of the Forum says:
    ……I can’t believe Bouillon is going to be playing 1-2 minutes with PK…..I know Beaulieau is young, etc., but he at least has the basic tools to be a 1-2 dman, even if he makes mistakes.

That is crap, and I don’t usually bitch about coaching decisions. But that is just crap.
    ——————————-
    Please know that this is NOT disagreeing with your post, yet perhaps another way to look at the coaching mindset and total situation.

Beaulieu with the Habs this year:
    GP:16. 2 assists/ PLUS + 5/13:02 ave. minutes per game

Coach Therrien Mandate:
    Win/ Win Now/ Get To Playoffs/Go deep

With that in mind, just some thoughts from here to ponder:

1) Trust and Experience:
    Beaulieu will have his time one day, yet the day is not now.
    Coach Therrien is going with a guy that he trusts…since his junior coaching days… not to make any major gaffes vs. a Habs fan friendly ‘Morgan Reilly style’ of guy that would be a risk to either win or lose a game. (probabilities say lose)

Therrien is all about Caution – playing vets over rookies – playing to win in ‘The Now’ vs. the future…including its delayed development of some key and exciting younger guys ( see Galchenyuk-Center…Bournival-Tinordi-Beaulieu…)

Is there agreement with that philosophy?
    NO….yet Coach Therrien is all about his record, and perhaps the GM puts the making of the playoffs NOW, a priority over other stuff.

2) Time on Ice:
    Bouillon may be shown as playing with Subban, yet his minutes will be limited to about 15-17 mostly Even Strength and mop up 30 second PP time.
    Coach Therrien has shown little trust in his PK abilities throughout this year.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Another point that was raised below is that we’d have to put a dman on waivers to bring Beaulieau up, or put Tinordi down. So there’s that too, haha

I guess I just see Beaulieau as a puck possession dman, which me need more of. We were winning with him in the lineup. I’d love for him to get more experience now, so he can earn MT’s trust.

MT is pretty conservative, I guess that irks me sometimes. But it seems like it does win some hockey games :)

• habcertain says:

which is inherently why we will lose valuable development time to ready the young kids, with talent, that can gel in a couple of years. I am seriously concerned that Chucky will not turn out to be the stud we were looking for under MT’s coaching style, just not interested in a one round bounce from the play offs so Therrien can say he got the team in. With PK in no rush to sign a contract you begin to wonder what is the future plan? we will see how Vanek plays out this year but if he continues to play on Pleks line, you gotta think it is all about now. I would love to make a run, obviously with Price standing on his head, but think the future is the better path if we do the smart things now.

CJ brought up the point about Hamilton being a healthy scratch, i wonder if this has anything to do with the stories circulating that Boston was very close to having him traded away as part of a package to Vancouver for Edler. The stories circulated with his name going the other way didn’t seem to be refuted by the Bruins.

Can’t be good for the psyche of a young player knowing the team had already tried to trade him away.

• BriPro says:

Boss: “I’m thinking of firing you.”
      Employee: “Oh… OK, I guess.”
      Boss: “But I changed my mind… kinda feel sorry for you.”
      Employee : (thinking to himself) I wonder who’ll feel sorry for your sorry a** when I wrap a funeral wreath around your scrawny neck. “Gee, I appreciate that. Can I take the day off to recover?”

• CJ says:

Interesting. Again, to be fair, I haven’t watched more then 10 Bruins games this season. He just seems to stand out (positvely) when I tune in. Maybe I am missing something. I understand, as other’s have pointed out, that they want to give Mezaros a chance, but would it not make more sense to scratch Boychuk or Bartowski? Just my two cents.

Damn autocorrect.

I wonder if the glorified HIO journalist crew will ask Therrien why Weise is not playing. Or I they know perhaps inform the uninformed us.

42. Stanley Cup says:

Bench clearing brawl, ummmm.
    That would be cranktaculous or alternatively cranktacular!

43. howiemorenz7 says:

Maybe I’ve been dead for too many years, but it seems to me that getting Parros was partly inspired by the Bruins rivalry, wasn’t it? Why should Prust be put back in a position to be the enforcer in his first game back with a wonky shoulder?

Maroons Suck.
    #7 foreva.

• mark-ID says:

Personally I think it is the right call for our fourth line to be Moen, White and Prust. Between them and Tinordi and Murray, I don’t see the Bruins running people without consequences.

That 4th line is also better then if Parros was in. I think because of his injuries this year…he is less and less of a deterant.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Parros cannot play against the Bruins — we need to be able to roll four lines against them. Their fourth line is one of the best in the league. If we have Parros, we’re left with 11 forwards and one guy who will play 5 minutes.

• mark-ID says:

On that same not…..the Habs havn’t really been pushed around much at all this year like they were in the previous couple. I think as long as guys like Murray and Tinordi are there…….a tough guy like Parros isn’t needed as much.

44. Mark C says:

Regarding the Future Watch list, I’m pretty sure that these lists are submitted by the teams. Recall Grant Mccagg on HF noting the Habs list came from a member of player development. My guess would be Mellanby.

• habstrinifan says:

Are you sure? I would think a team would be very wary ‘officialy’ putting out a prospect list like that for several reasons.

One: why ‘officially’ diminish value of a prospect (if he reads the list) when it would serve absolutely no purpose.
      Two: why on the other hand give a prospect negotiating points with an elevate ranking.

I see more peril and therefore a no win situation for the organization to get involved.

Hey bud, I am with you in having high hopes for Crisp, but I think looking at that list of top 10 an argument can solidly be made for why all of them are presently ahead of Crisp. This is not to say Crisp still isn’t a valued prospect.

If he does pan out, he could become much more important than most of those names, but that is only if he does. At the present time, all those other names are considered better prospects and I think the facts back that up. It may be a bit dodgy with McCarron as he is there primarily to his recent 1st round selection status. And just the same as Crisp he will need to prove it at the AHL level, perhaps moreso than what he does at the Junior level.

45. Some streaks may end tonight.

Habs winless streak?

Bruins winning streak?

Habs domination of Bruins this season?

I’m hoping for the first 2 out of 3. ;)

GHG!!!

Defense wins championships

“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” St. Thomas Aquinas

46. PrimeTime says:

Phaneuf with his best hit of the year last night! That’s some Captain….

********************************************************
    “Fans are entitled to express their opinion, but most of the comments on talk radio and on The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out website ranged from the mildly uninformed to the outrageously stupid” – Pat Hickey.

47. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I can’t believe Bouillon is going to be playing 1-2 minutes with PK.

• Phil C says:

Therrien tends to roll his pairings 5 on 5, so it won’t affect Bouillon’s icetime too much. Top four minutes at the most I expect. He’ll see some 2nd pairing PP time too.

• B says:

Beaulieu is not on the Habs roster so the coach couldn’t decide to play him tonight even if he wanted to.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Plenty of time to call him up though, but yes, I guess with all the guys on one way contracts, that’d require putting someone on waivers, wouldn’t it?

• B says:

No it wouldn’t. The 23 man roster limit ended at the trade deadline. My point was how can you blame the coach for deciding not to play someone who is not available?

–Go Habs Go!–

48. Hobie Hansen says:

Re: Parros

Parros banged his head off the ice AGAIN during his fight against Jackman. It wasn’t a super hard smack but it seems that in every fight he’s involved in that he ends up on his back.

It’s sad to say, he’s done like dinner. His main goal in and fight he’s involved in should be to remain on his feet and be strong on his skates. The guy can barely stand up!

• theflukester says:

That’s because he can’t skate and has no balance. You fight Parros, you pull him down, pretty obvious now. Parros was yet another bad acquisition. I’ll bet he retires soon. Prust was doing a fine job but even Prust with these upper body injuries, how long can that last?

Play every game as if it is your last one. Guy Lafleur

• BobbySmithWasClutch says:

So assuming Parros isn’t on The Habs next season, do you think Bergevin will sign another “enforcer” to replace him?

• johnnylarue says:

Given how the Parros Experiment turned out, colour me skeptical.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think by next season you’ll add another few more teams to the list that don’t have a designated goon…

I don’t want to place everything on Tinordi’s shoulders, that’s why I’m happy Murray is there. But players like Tinordi will be the tough guys out there and not 4 minute a game guys.

In years past the Habs have had NOBODY who could play and fight so an enforcer would have been welcomed. Now they’ve got a few guys, some better than others, who can play and drop the gloves.

You wouldn’t hear me complain if they signed some crazy goon over the summer though :-).

• johnnylarue says:

Yeah, I think the ‘WWF On Ice’ era is coming to a close. For better or worse. (I’m firmly in the ‘better’ camp.)

• BobbySmithWasClutch says:

People made fun of Laraque, but in my opinion Parros is just as much a staged fighter who’s not nearly as good at his craft as Laraque was. Laraque was a huge negative distraction off the ice though. I’d be in favor of signing a tough guy who was mean and could intimidate, not some staged fighter who send out invitations first.

• frontenac1 says:

Joel “The Animal”Theriault would be fun to have.

• frontenac1 says:

I agree Hobie. When Habs signed the Stache I said he had good reach, a good change up but bad balance. His bad balance got him into trouble with 2 maybe 3 conkys this season. I love the guy but he’s probably done.

49. Sportfan says:

You know I completely forgot about the stitches with Weise, I wonder if that’s why he isn’t playing?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

50. ProHabs says:

Just got my copy of Future Watch from the Hockey News. They rank each teams prospects. Here is how the Habs prospects are ranked:
    1) De la Rose
    2) Fucale
    3) Tinordi
    4) Mccarron
    5) Lehkonen
    6) Collberg
    7) Hudon
    8) Andrighetto
    9) Reway
    10) Bozon

So looks like the Habs traded their 6th best prospect for Vanek, that’s pretty good.

It looks like Leblanc is no longer a top prospect. He is a bust.

Beaulieu along with Bounival, Galchenyuk and Gallager were no longer considered prospects as they were graduated to the NHL.

Buffalo has some huge (and I mean size) prospects coming up but the Islanders have some monster sized defencemen coming up as prospect. Too bad Bergevin couldn’t also pry on of them from Garth Snow along with Vanak.

51. Psycho29 says:

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC ·1 hr
    Mike Gillis wont discuss rumours of potential change in Vancouver. “Lends credibility to it if I comment.”

52. jimmy shaker says:

Man what a great way to start the game day preps by watching that video montage. Those fights were ridiculous. They don’t scrap like that anymore these days. Bouchard/jonathan corson/neely, kordic/miller. Wow! Nowadays it’s a lot of wrestling and take downs, but still a part of the game. Here’s to tinordi squashing lucheese, murray handling thornton, prust taking iggy, frankie vs chara, budashe vs rask, moen and white vs whoever. The boys actually match up well in the fisticuffs side of it….oh yeah and the habs roll 4-0 with danny b and vanek 2 points a piece.

Shaker out!

53. Phil C says:

Habs don’t need Parros against the Bruins. Parros is needed for players like Orr, McLaren, Scott, and Kassian. Against a player like Lucic who plays on the first line, Parros would be a liability. Murray is the ideal ALWS(Anti-Lucic-Weapon-System).

I hope Tinordi stays away from Lucic. I think he could go with him, but Lucic is too dangerous to risk it. The Habs really need Tinordi to step up for the playoffs.

• ProHabs says:

Parros is needed for the dummy THornton who always ran around against the Habs when they were small.

• Phil C says:

Thornton is not a true heavy weight. He is the same size as Moen and Moen has proven he can handle Thornton in the past, so can Prust. Thornton turns into a complete gentleman around Murray, like a lady Byng candidate.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Thornton is not a true heavyweight? Moen hung in there a couple years ago and I was happy. Run that fight 10 times over and Moen might hang in for a few more and get his ass kicked in seven of them.

Thornton would fight anyone on the Habs without hesitation. Murray would have a good shot at taking him down, Tinordi a bit less. Prust hung in there real good but if he opened up and started really throwing them Thornton would probably win more times than not.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see Thornton get his ass kicked but he can handle himself against everyone in a Habs jersey. He might be slowing down a tad now…I hope so!

• Phil C says:

Moen got the best of him I thought. Thorton is a good fighter but he is only 6’2″ 217, not in the same league as the bigger guys. He will go with them, but John Scott absolutely crushed him last year, Thornton didnt even get a punch in and Scott concussed him, then let up.. Last game Thornton wanted no part of Murray. Why? Because he is not completely stupid. I think you give Thornton way too much credit.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Scott is a complete monster who caught Thornton on a bad day. I think if you go back a look at most of Thornton’s fights you be hard pressed to see him get his ass kicked like he did against Scott?

I think he’s slowing down. I really haven’t gone out of my way to watch him too closely.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi phil

Exactly. No need for Parros tonight.
      I don’t believe Lucic has much desire to fight any more.
      He will when he has to, yet Coach Julien prefers he play hockey and leave the garbage to Thornton-McQuaid-Campbell…

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

Tinordi is till very young and should be staying away from certain larger, mature, tougher players. (he hasn’t even made the team yet). I suspect that as he matures he will pack on some extra pounds and in several years time will bear some semblance to his dear ol’ daddy. (who, as I recall was a force). He’s got lotsa time

I recall Lucic wisely avoiding George L earlier in his career. Smart move

54. mark-ID says:

I don’t mean to start a political conversation from this, but I am curious to know how everyone would react in regards to the Habs if Quebec were ever to seperate?

-What if they sperated, but kept the name Montreal Canadiens;
    would you still support them?

or worse,

-if they seperated, and then had to change the name to Montreal Habs/Quebecors;

Can we really conceive that the Canadiens could ever change their name? They are part of the foundation of what the NHL is. Let’s hope it never comes to this.

55. Habilis says:

Bouillon is not only playing, he’s paired with Subban. After what, 2 months of not playing? Um…

Anyone want to take a shot at defending this move? I know some of you actually think that MT does a good job, so you must be fine with stuff like this. Someone explain how that’s possible, please.

• Phil C says:

Bouillon has played a few good games with Subban. Therrien said Bouillon was their best defensemen after a recent game playing with Subban. Bouillon has the mobility to provide proper puck support for Subban while Subban can cover for Frankie in his own end if required. It also gets Frankie on his proper side. I much prefer Bouillon with Subban than Murray.

They need to get 16 games out of Bouillon until Gorges is back. Let’s hope he has enough gas in the tank for that.

• habstrinifan says:

Bet you didnt expect me to come to MT defence here.

If Bouillion is to play I like the pairing.

a) Bouillion’s best hockey this year was when he was paired with Subban. He stood out so much that MT and posters here lauded his play.
      b) Boullion and Subban know each other very well and seem to really like each other as people…. there is good chemistry.
      c) They excite each other with the feisty nature of their game… neither really plays what you would call a ‘quiet’ defense.

How did I do? I made a more detailed post re this move yesterday.

56. CJ says:

Interesting to note, Dougie Hamilton is being rumoured to be a healthy scratch tonight. Although, admittedly I don’t watch many Bruins games, I have always been impressed with his play.

Anyone with more information then myself on the subject?

57. Stanley Cup says:

Too many parts not playing in their proper positions.
    Is it to much to ask for MT to catch the flu.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

He was joking around. Your reading too much into that…

• Stanley Cup says:

I get that but having Bourque and Emelin playing positions that they are struggling with makes you wonder why they aren’t put in positions to succeed. Then you go get a scorer and put him on the defensive line.
        Way to conservative. Playing not to lose instead of playing to win!

58. jimmy shaker says:

Weezy could play there is no doubt. But with Moen, prust, white all healthy, I think MT is using them and waiting for weezy to heel up completely. Moen, white, prust, weezy and Parros are all 4th line interchangeable pieces MT can pencil in anytime. But the three that are in will most likely be MT’s first choice. I don’t know who weezy push’s out. Probably white. Give weezy another week to heal up and then get him back in there!

Shaker out!

59. UKRAINIANhab says:

Everything looks good IMO. Hopefully Bouillon knocks a few bafoons off there skates!

60. RetroMonkey says:

Bruins will destroy the habs and the world will be a better place

Habs will never win the cup with ? in nets.

61. 2014 Norris Trophy winner, "Dan Hamhuis"! says:

I like the Heavyweights in the line up. I think if Lucic goes with anyone it will be with Murray or Tiny. He won’t risk facial damage by going with George. But in saying that, I can’t see George getting more that 5 minutes of ice time.

62. marvin20 says:

I hope this is Mt last season as coach. He put Vanik on a checking line, benches Weise. WOW really frusterating

63. bwoar says:

@ M.Ronn

You might be right about Parros. He’s still stuck in my head as a heavyweight pugilist and a good deterrent for the Lucic’s of the world who pick their opponents. I do kinda think we’d need to hear the the on-ice chatter to get a better sense of how other players react to him. It’s conceivable that the opposition still does have a healthy respect for his fists. That’s a hard thing to gauge.

Very happy that we have both Tinordi and Murray out there.

I worry that indeed Ronn is correct. If so, too bad how this season shook down for Parros. One of the classiest guys in the league doing one of the dirtiest jobs in the league. I liked the move to acquire him and think he would have been effective for Habs had the incident with Orr not occurred. I am not going to pretend he would have been a big factor on the forecheck, but I think he would have been a serviceable enforcer for the Habs.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi burli

Agree that the Orr incident changed everything, and then the final nail was the beat down by Eric Boulton.

As you well know, all these heavyweights have ‘respect’ for each other, but when a guy just can’t skate anymore, he becomes a liability.

In the end, I believe George has come through all of this quite well compared to several others.
        He appears to be well grounded.
        He has a Princeton Degree.
        He has what appears to be a stable life with outside interests and businesses.
        (Violent Gentlemen clothes line)

And so contray to the others before him, he has earned about $6.5M gross earnings before taxation.

• bwoar says:

That Eric Boulton shot really sealed it. But I’ve been holding out a hope that somehow things turned back. I like the guy, and I guess it’s tougher to admit he’s on his bell lap since he’s a rare breed of pugilist.

• CJ says:

I agree with Ronn. It’s not that I wouldn’t want a heavy weight in the lineup, but George is simply not that guy anymore. Terrible really, because if you recall the first game of the season, he was very effective on the fourth line, creating goal scoring chances, hitting and getting the boys going. He looked very good in his first fight with Orr and was in control of the second until he was pulled down.

That sickening thump on the ice was the sound of George’s career coming to an end. As Ronn noted, I think it was incredibly classy to give him a game against the Ducks, but I can not see him playing againt this season, for all the same reasons Ronn put forward in his post.

Looking ahead, if we choose to carry a heavy weight next season, there are simply younger, stronger options available.

I know I caught a lot of flack for saying it the first time, but I still think it would be nice to see someone sign Thorton away from Boston. He is in the twilight of his career, but on a one year deal, he could still be an effective player.

64. lakechamplain says:

OK, I don’t read every word posted/printed about the Habs. What did Weise do to get in the doghouse? My opinion, and don’t we all have them, is he’s noticeably better than about 4 of the ‘starters’, mainly because he’s more than a grinder; he can skate(and to start with this team’s issues most teams do out skate us) and he has some offensive flair.

65. ths says:

Who is going to beat down Lucic with Bourque out ?

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

66. Frank2468 says:

Guess MT wants to keep the losing streak going why the hell is Bouillon in and Weaver out and Dale Weise is out as well. The only scratch I understand is Bourque. Wow sounds good guys you traded for or you picked up you sit make sense to me???

• bwoar says:

Prust is back. When Bournival draws in, it will get even tighter.

But not to worry. One or more of these guys will eat it in the playoffs and we’ll have need of every one of them.

Yup, and the coach isn’t going to displace a veteran like Moen or Prust to make room for the younger Weise. I am glad White stays in the lineup, he is an excellent 4th line center option for this team.

You are soo right bwoar about how tough it is going to be when Bournival gets back. Hopefully the healthy competition motivates all the forwards to work their tails off!

• shlamiel says:

watch prust get a penalty on his 1st shift

• scamorza says:

Agree rather have weaver than cube in the lineup but what the heck

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

67. theox_8 says:

No Weise , no surprise .

68. knob says:

Let me guess: Prust with Eller and Galchenyuk…this line does not work. Watching Eller and Galchenyuk on the same line is like watching Novice kids in the sense that both Eller and Galchenyuk get in each others way and both want to carry the puck.

I say put Eller with Gionta and Plekanec and put Vanek with Galchenyuk and Briere.

69. Mattyleg says:

Hi.
    Gohabsgobeatthebruins.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

70. icemachine says:

Happy for Habs games I can stay up to watch again :)

Wife flies outta Buffalo tomorrow and returns Monday, so I took the opportunity to pick up a ticket for Sunday’s game. First time I’ll be seeing them live in damn near a decade

71. Sportfan says:

ok seriously the CUBE WITH SUBBAN COME ON, how stupid is that, I rather Tinordi, or Murray, or Markov, or anyone else! Also why not Weise, he’s been doing a good job for this team energy wise get rid of fracking MOEN -_- that’s my rage for the day.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

72. Sportfan says:

GO HABS GO BEAT DOWN THE BRUINS, BY SCORING!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

73. Habfun says:

This is a big game, Booins are playing well. We need the 2 points, Ottawa is next and they are always tough.
    Go Habs Go!!!