Budaj gets start in Buffalo vs Sabres; game-time decision for Davey

Budaj

Peter Budaj starts in goal tonight for the Canadiens.

AUDIO: Randy Cunneyworth | Josh Gorges | Lindy Ruff | Cody Hodgson

The Canadiens will turn to goaltender Peter Budaj tonight to face the Buffalo Sabres.

Centreman David Desharnais, scratched from the game in Vancouver after missing a period and change in Edmonton with a lower-body injury, is a game-time decision, according to coach Randy Cunneyworth.

On the Sabres ledger: Tomas Vanek is probably in, fellow forward Matt Ellis is probably out and defenceman Andrej Sekera, who’s been out with what was described with the flu, is now down with pneumonia.

The lineup for tonight, before scratches:

1. habs4_25th says:

Since the return of Markov we are inspired to win, I say play Budja in nets and we are sure to do our best to keep that top draft pick in sight.

2. Marcusman says:

GO HABS Go!

3. GrimJim says:

It’s time to puff up HH’s ego…
    GMs are in favour of eliminating hand passes in the defensive zone.
    Cue the “I-called-it-a-year-ago” in three…two…one…

4. RetroMikey says:

Look at the game notes…
    Special adviser to the GM…Bob Gainey

Why is Bob still running our club?????

Everyone bashed Gauthier but Gainey still makes the final decisions for our club.

Fire them both!!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

Take the fast train to Tanksville
    And I’ll meet you there at draft day,
    We can finish close to thirty,
    ‘Cause we’ve seen this awful season’s horror show,
    Oh, no, no, no,
    Oh, no, no, no.
    ‘Cause I’m bleeding and I’m mourning
    And I must feel good again,
    We’ll have one high pick together
    ‘Til the mourning brings my pain to a dull throe,
    Oh, no, no, no,
    Oh, no, no, no,
    And I don’t know if we’ll bring Lord Stanley home.

Any reason why the stock image is of the Predators? Or are we to bring up SK74’s two assists on AK46’s two PP goals?

Steve Hindle with a nice summary of Markov’s return to the lineup.

Here is a pretty good pregame report from Buffalo Blogger with lots of video, Montreal and Buffalo.

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks nice collection. Did you have any problem with Foligno’s goal… i am leaning towards a penalty for hooking with the hands… he reached and pulled Gonchar a little. Of course Gonchar was too willing to go down.

I gotta be honest and say I didn’t watch it too closely. It was funny that he said he wanted to do the jump like his father used to do, but he wasn’t 100% sure the goal would be credited to him.

9. Mattyleg says:

Twenty-seventh!

I’ve been saaaaved!!
    —Hope Springs Eternal—

10. naweed235 says:

Couple of questions Re Koivu…What kind of cancer did Saku have? how did the news come out in Montreal and how did the fans and the media react? How long was he out due to it and was there constant updates on his health when he was out? thanks in advance

• Canus says:

All your answers are here, a short google away.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Naweed, with respect, couldn’t you do most of this research yourself? I spent five seconds on Google and came up with this on Wikipedia:

“After six seasons in the NHL, Koivu was diagnosed with Burkitt’s lymphoma, a non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.[3] on September 6, 2001, and missed nearly the entire 2001–02 season.”

I’m just curious why you would ask a fact-based question like this on a forum such as this one when there are so many online resources out there.

As far as the fan reaction and the regularity of updates, I can’t help you with those, I wasn’t in Montréal during that time period.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

11. joedacrabb33 says:

Price had a solid game against vancouver, why would they start Budaj?

12. Say Ash says:

What’s Price’s record after a Budaj start? Anybody got this handy?

13. Bripro says:

A few reporters (Lavoie, Gagnon, Friedman) are tweeting that there’s a good chance the NHL will adopt Hybrid icing next year. Sorry for the long link. You can shut it short…it gives you a general ideal. It’s basically no-touch icing.

14. Propwash says:

Hopefully I can stay up long enough to watch the game all the way through, it was my son’s 1st birthday yesterday, and loading him up on chocolate cake seemed like a good idea at the time….

15. Chuck says:

If you give a numerical value to each letter of the alphabet, a=1, b=2, etc., then:

Halak = 8+1+11+1+10=31
    Price = 15+17+9+3+5=49

49 > 31, therefore Price is the better goalie. I’m sorry, but the numbers don’t lie.

___________________________________________________

16. Marcusman says:

So just so it’s said:

If we go 10-3 in our last 13 games and…..

Wash goes 4-9
    Winnipeg goes 7-6
    Buff goes 7-6
    Tampa goes 7-7

WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS

• Chuck says:

I’d prefer to go 13-0. :)

___________________________________________________

• Mr. Biter says:

But the Goat tells Randy “start Budda as per Mr Molson’s instructions”. Wpg won’t go 7-6 (to many road games). Washington’s the one to be worried about.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

17. naweed235 says:

So Budaj starts eh? Glad to see that management finally came to their senses and recognized who the real number one goalie is for the Habs…:D

Don’t shoot dont shoot!!!

Earlier this morning a different Buffalo source said Vanek was out, but alas, Mr. Stubbs is way ahead of me.

19. habfan53 says:

Who is Pierre Groulx ??????

to paraphrase Nixon: If the Bruins do it, it is not illegal

20. K-hab25 says:

Halak – post Habs / pre Hitchcock

64 GP – 2.57gaa – .905 sv%

Stop it, no more, other thread, even if I agree with you!!!! :)

• RJ says:

Perhaps the Price Lovers should watch Halak play. He made amazing stops yesterday on several 2 on 0 breaks. I suppose that was because of Hitch?

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

I just rewatched the Gold Medal game for the last Olympics, couldn’t find him anywhere in the game though, was really weird. Because it’s not his team that makes him great, he makes them great. So i fully expected to see him there.

• K-hab25 says:

What does Halaks post Habs / pre Hitchcock #’s have to do with me being a Price lover? Are you telling me that all those people posting Halaks #’s this year are really just Price hating trolls? Wow, thanks man for the heads up.

21. habfan53 says:

Hey great game by Markov. He is obviously back lets trade him while his market value is up there .
    I’m positive we can get any one of the following in a one for one deal Parise, Nash, Getzlaff, Ryan, maybe even Crosby hell he’s only played 8 games in the last 14 1/2 months (markov like totals)

P.S. Now moving tongue to other cheek

to paraphrase Nixon: If the Bruins do it, it is not illegal

22. Maksimir says:

Remember Guillaume Latendrese? I just saw he is now out with a concussion… wow – he really turned into a train wreck after he left here (except for that fast start of -what? 20 games or so?).

Mind you Benny (without injuries) isn’t a whole lot better. Too bad we didn’t get someone else for GL.

23. badbalance says:

Saku tribute video, about to get his 1000th game( I said point earlier but was wrong). http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6LoNzo58KJM#! Nobody can ever question his heart and determination. Even though he never won the cup with us, I hope we retire his number.

24. Jon L says:

I don’t care if they win or lose, I just want to watch Max keep piling up numbers. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy every time he pots one. Also, let’s see some Emelin crunches, a Staubitz tilt (protecting a teammate, not staged), and some sweet vintage Markov passing. That one touch pass to PK last game was butter on bread, baby!

• Dr.Rex says:

Markov’s energized reaction to PK’s goal really made me feel all fuzzy.

That was awesome to see the joy he felt. This guy has worked so hard to come back, he deserves to now have a great finish to his career. I can see him signing another contract with Montreal.

• Bripro says:

Let’s make sure he makes it through this one first.

No do the extension now, get it cheaper!

• Bripro says:

Yeah…OK…like this one’s been a bargain.

It will turn out, patience my friend. We needed a good draft pick, now we get the all star back. Consider this more like a reprieve for him, and now he will be able to play longer. Plus he is my favourite Hab.

• Bripro says:

He’s one of my favourites as well. I think the timing stinks though, because you could tell how energized the team was in having him back, and if they go on any kind of run, say goodbye to that top-5 pick, and the rest of the pool is pretty shallow, IMO.

• FANHABULOUS says:

It was awesome to see Markov show flashes of his brilliance again… yes, his legs and skating were rusty, but those hands were still as silky as ever. The lay-up to PK was great, but his outlet passes were even better… that stretch pass from behind the net to Max at the other blueline was magic, and very few Dman can pull it off so well. Just shows you how good this guy is, misses almost 2 years and still his passing is immaculate. OUr top 4 D next year will be amazing:

P.K – Josh
          Markov – Emelin

• Mr. Biter says:

Let’s see how long AM’s knee lasts after a few games.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• FormalWare says:

@Mr. Biter:

You’re a jerk, Mister! A complete kneeBiter!

(With a nod to the late, great Douglas Adams.)

If Eller were pronounced “Ell-ay”, Larry would be #2 with a bullet!

25. Dr.Rex says:

Also by moving Eller to the wing it would allow Leblanc to get some experience playing center, which is what he was supposed to be.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

But isn’t Eller supposed to be a center too? The games I have watched Eller play the wing he is invisible. He is great at center. Fact is, we have a log jam of #2 centers thus DD goes up to the first line and, I think, Pleks should go down to the 3rd. He plays less and stays fresher and will likely have to fill-in occasionally on the top two lines. Problem is what to do with Leblanc.

• Kimberly2u says:

I almost teared up….I was so happy for both of them

Eller must stay at center, he is way better there. Why ruin him already.

26. Dr.Rex says:

Considering that it is inevitable that DD would be placed on the top line when he returns surely there are better options to create two potential scoring lines. Clearly after the top line the two most effective forwards are Pleks and Eller. WHy not move one to the wing and see if those two can create some chemistry. Like really, what is there to lose rahter then surrounding thsoe two centers with the likes of White, Geoff, Palushaj and Leblanc.

HOw about:
    Pacioretty DD Cole
    Eller Pleks Bourque

27. Cal says:

Not first, but I’d really like a win tonight, too. :)

28. RetroMikey says:

Mr. Boone or Mr. Stubbs
    Why does the team of ours not allow us to download the gameday media notes for each game as other teams allow on their websites for their fans?
    Yeah, I know media credentials but that’s a thing of the past but the fans have every right as well to read up on these media related items on the Web.
    Pretty sad to see a club we die for that cannot cater to us fans to download game notes or even the media guide.
    if you look at the other NHL team sites, they cater to their fans.
    Yeah, rise together as we say!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Cal says:

They’ve read your posts here and they’ve barred you from getting them. I, on the other hand, have no problems downloading the media notes….Kidding! ;)

• Chuck says:

If you need the notes so badly, go the the Sabre’s site and download ‘em.

___________________________________________________

I am sure the Gazette looks forward to handling your question to the Habs.

29. Kimberly2u says:

Lunch time is over and I must go back to work…thanks you two.,,I’ll check back later

30. Kimberly2u says:

Go Habs go…I know we have trouble with Buffalo but I want us to win tonight

31. Kimberly2u says:

Damn I wanted to say First…lol

32. Bripro says:

So Saku will be celebrating his 1,000 NHL game tonight, and he’s not in a Habs jersey.
    If I had to pick a player who’s departure we should complain about, he’s the one!
    What a great community leader he was.
    He’ll always be one of my favourites.

• FANHABULOUS says:

I totally agree… he was a leader among leaders if you ask me. I am a cancer researcher, and I can tell you people who go through what he did are lucky just to live a normal life. Not only did he overcome that, he was still an amazing athlete afterwards… the guy is all heart, and I’m not ashamed to say I cried that night he came back to the 5 min ovation.

33. shiram says:

Whee a new thread, there’s so much space for activies here!

34. Bripro says:

Boone’s awake….

35. GrimJim says:

“No worries we will lost tonite”

The team won’t be able to find the arena?

36. zorro says:

Somebody’s lost

37. ZepFan2 says:

“The team won’t be able to find the arena?”

Robo-call!!