Budaj gets start for Habs against Flyers

The Canadiens held an optional skate Wednesday morning in Philadelphia as they prepared to face the Flyers Wednesday night (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Peter Budaj will start in goal for the Canadiens and George Parros, who has been sidelined with a concussion, will be a game-time decision. Steve Mason is expected to start in goal for the Flyers.

“I’m cleared to play, I’m good to go, and it’ll be a game time decision tonight,” Parros told reporters in Philadelphia after the morning skate.

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin met with Montreal media members during the morning skate and commented on the role goaltender Carey Price has played during the first half of the season.

“Carey has been our most valuable player this year,” Bergevin said. “All the credit goes to him for his comeback. He’s come to work whenever he goes on the ice.”

With Ryan White sidelined with an upper-body injury and Alex Galchenyuk out for six weeks with a broken hand, Bergevin was asked if he was planning to call up anyone from the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs.

“That’s day to day right now … but things happen and change fast so it’ll be a possibility,” the GM said. “But right now we’re going to stay with what we got.”

Bergevin was also asked about a possible rift between veteran Daniel Briere and coach Michel Therrien.

“I never got wind of it,” Bergevin said. “Daniel has faced difficulties, but he’s on the right track. He’s played much better hockey for some time.”

To listen to Bergevin’s press conference, click here.

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

Habs vs. Flyers preview, NHL.com

Game Day Report, Canadiens.com

Game Notes, philadelphiaflyers.com

Bergevin’s state of the union, Canadiens.com

Marc Bergevin meets with media (video), Canadiens.com

Five Things: Flyers vs. Habs, philadelphiaflyers.com

Price, Subban excited to play for Canada, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Olympics a perfect stage for Subban, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Where do contract talks stand with Subban? TSN.ca

NHL Rumours: Montreal done with Briere? Sportsnet.ca

Habs’ draft class represented at Sochi Games, NHL.com

Team Canada freezes out Flyers’ Giroux, philadelphiaflyers.com

Flyers displaying comeback capability, philly.com

1. Alvin says:

Starting Budaj… mistake, if you want to win this game.
    Bournival will get his moment in the sun. At their stages of develpment Bournival is far better than Galchenyuk.

2. B says:

Budaj could end up starting most of the games for Slovakia.

–Go Habs Go!–

3. monmick says:

… and last.

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

4. D Man says:

Maybe this has been discussed before in relation to the Stevie Y non-selection of his own player Marty St Louis for the Olympic team.  Perhaps the GM of The National Olympic team should be someone with great NHL experience but not presently affiliated with any NHL organization.  His salary could be based on present GM salaries to make it worth while.  He would have the 4 yr period leading up to an Olympic year and enough resources to do the job.  There are a lot of ifs, ands and buts, but it could be done.  No?

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

5. krob1000 says:

Could tonight be the night a d plays forward?

6. Danno says:

Hey guys. New threat…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

7. Eddie says:

It’s amusing to see all the same posters who supported Jacques Martin when he coached here now support Therrien.

Do you guys still believe Martin was a good coach, or do you just support the Habs coach, no matter who it is, because that’s how you define being a good fan??

Would love to get feedback from the old Jacques Martin supporters.

• shiram says:

I hear Jacques Martin has been doing quite good in Pittsburgh as a defensive coach.
      That said I don’t really like either Therrien or Martin, but at least under Therrien the teams seems to be competing a bit more.

• Loop_Garoo says:

I have no problem with Martin as a defensive coach, not a head coach, but two years ago when the whole season fell apart, I do feel it was much more the fault of Martin ( and to be honest, a lot of bad luck and injuries) than it was the goat’s fault. That said, I am glad both are gone.

Greg

• JUST ME says:

The opposite is more realistic.
      The ones that wanted Martin out are the same that want Therrien out. Whoever is hired to replace whoever it does not matter. They will never be satisfied and give up to the most insignificant detail even if it comes from their own imagination or even better from a rumor read on HIO !.

Not sure that Martin and Therrien can be compared due to the fact that the on ice product was really different and that we now know that the management was not the ideal type…

• 24 Cups says:

Eddie – I find the whole coaching thing a bit of a laugh. Ripping coaches seems to always come before examining the talent on hand (and their efforts).

The Habs have gone through seven coaches since 2003 when Gainey took over. In those ten years the Habs won the conference but then folded in the playoffs. The only other highlight was the 2010 playoff run when the team won two playoff rounds. Other than that, it’s been bubble time. I guess that indirectly means all those coaches (including BG two times) were not up to scratch.

I assume that if the Habs ever hit the skids the fan base will be calling for Therrien’s head and falling all over the next false idol, Guy Boucher. That is until he falters and gets canned to two years.

Not sure if I should laugh or cry.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Eddie

When someone made fun of McGuire’s TV personna you replied that he gets paid big $$ to – let’s be nice – provide his opinions on TV. And therefore knows more than the critics ever will or could hope to.

But the same goes for Martin & Therrien. In fact doubly so. Therrien’s been hired as a head coach three times and was a finalist for coach of the year. Jacques Martin coached 1300 NHL games and won the Jack Adams Trophy.

So if we can’t criticize Pierre McG because he’s been hired to fill in the silence during hockey games on NBC, and once had a cup of coffee with the Penguins organization, surely you can’t criticize Therrien and Martin.

Logical consistency. That’s all I ask for.

• Luke says:

I like Therrien. i believe he’s done quite well with this team and feel that last year’s place in the standings and their current position bears witness to that.
      I was not a fan of Martin. That’s not to say he was a bad coach, just not what I would have liked.

Its funny to see many fans who never support the coach, management or the team for that matter, regardless of who’s calling the shots.

• punkster says:

I take it you don’t like MT’s style?

Edit…I think we’ve gathered that over the past couple of years.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
      but…
      ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

• Garbo says:

Or could it be that different people liked different coaches and disliked different coaches for their own reasons?

Why do you assume the two are necessarily related? Have you been keeping a ledger of who different people support?

Personally, I didn’t like Carbo (at all), indifferent on Martin, and like Therrien. So it seems to be getting progressively better, from this perspective anyway.

8. shiram says:

Subban was signed on the 28th of January 2013.
    Habs played the Jets on the 29th without Subban playing.
    Habs played the Senators the 30th, Subban was not playing then either.

He played his first game for the Habs that season on February second against the Sabres.

I looked it up from the 12-13 schedule on the Habs officiel website.
    Here’s a blurb from after the Senators game :
    NOTES: D P.K. Subban joined Montreal for the first time since signing a two-year, $5.75 million contract, but was not in the lineup for the game against the Senators. “I felt great today. I’m going to continue to practice and get ready,” Subban said. “As of right now, there’s no timeframe to when I’ll be returning. I don’t know. It’s not my decision.” … Senators D Sergei Gonchar was a late scratch with a lower body injury. … The Canadiens were without Petteri Nokelainen (back, out indefinitely) and Max Pacioretty (appendectomy, three to four weeks).

9. Luke says:

Does PK get to wear #76?

I’m contemplating jersey here… and don’t want to have PK 76 when the brain trust of hockey Canada decides that the olympic jersey numbers are important things to micro-manage like they did for the juniors.

I imagine it’ll be 76, since I doubt they’ll tell Crosby his 87 or Stamkos his 91 are disrespectful to the game.

It’ll be interesting to see how Babcock uses PK. Since one of the best coaches has one the opportunity to run with him, we get to see how he is used (on the PK, late in games etc etc).

10. Phil C says:

The coaching staff do deserve credit for what they’ve done with PK, and PK deserves credit for responding to the input. Before he signed the bridge contract, he was taking too many penalties, getting out of position going for the big hits, and holding on to the puck too long. Last year he improved in all those areas. It is possible that it would have happened without the coaches, but I don’t think so, that’s what coaches are supposed to do, so I don’t know why it’s a big deal to say so.

Even this year I think he still holds on to the puck too long at times. A lot of fans love his big rushes up the ice, but I find them useless as they never lead to anything. Defensemen are supposed to head-man the puck. In one of the recent 24CH episodes, Jodoin is practically pleading with PK to keep moving the puck. His individual skills are off-the-charts good, but his team play skills are still evolving. I think PK could be a PPG defensemen if he continues to move the puck. The scary part is he is actually really good at it, he is very capable of seeing the play and hitting the tape on his pass when he decides to be that kind of player.

• mdp2011 says:

Absolutely agree that the coaching staff has done a good job with PK. I just find it odd that both Therrien and Bergevin easliy compliment other players very often, but when it comes to giving PK a compliment, it is like pulling teeth. Just strange.

• Phil C says:

It’s a bit strange, I’ll give you that. But you have to treat every player according to their personality, and PK does not seem like the type of person who needs his tires pumped. Self-confidence does not seem to be an issue. As mentioned below, it is also a contract negotiation, so maybe the tone will change when he is signed long term.

• habstrinifan says:

I was reading along very interestedly until, and I hate to be blunt, your bit of nonsense about you cant ‘pump p.k’s’ tires cause he’s doesnt seem to be the kind of person who needs that. You absolutely made yourself sound silly there after having put forth a sober argument re people like me not acknowledging THerrien’s coaching.. which I still dont as profusely as you but which I have to be open minded about after your well made points. But that latter part… geeez!

• Cal says:

Around these here parts, anybody sayin’ that that there head coach is improving PK’s play is met with scorn and abuse. ‘Cause, you an’ I both know, that 17 year-olds know everythin’.

• Loop_Garoo says:

To his credit it seems we have seen more of the those great tape to tape breakout passes from PK the last couple weeks, maybe he’s listening.

Greg

• habcertain says:

tell that to Bobby Orr, Paul Coffey etc… you need to coach to a player’s talent. Gorges should head man the puck.

• Old Bald Bird says:

If the coaching staff weren’t playing a role in his development, there would be something seriously wrong. But let’s make sure that it’s PK who gets the credit because I am pretty sure that he would still be getting better at this stage of his career no matter who or what.

• Phil C says:

You are probably right, but not all players blossom. I thought Andre Kostitsyn had all the tools to be the next Marian Hossa, but it didn’t happen. Murray in Ottawa gave up a 2nd rounder to get Campoli a few years ago, now he’s not even in the league. Tyler Myers regressed. Del Zotto was projected for the Canadian Olympic team by TSN two years ago, now he’s a healthy scratch. It takes more than pure talent.

• JUST ME says:

I think the media made a big fuss out of nothing as usual. Using words as trying to break his temper and so on…A kid is a kid is a kid..At that age you just need time to gain maturity and i think he got the proper role models to help him.

That being said, never say that the coaching staff and Therrien helped him get the Norris on HIO !!!
      I have noticed that the coaches have a very good eye to evaluate talent and mostly to evaluate what needs to be done to help the kids to grow to his advantage.

P.K is one case that turned out great, Galchenyuk is another type of player so is Bournival. Tinordi and Beaulieu were definitely not ready for prime time and they took the right decision to give them time in Hamilton. Remember what you read back then on HIO ?

11. Danno says:

Also in the tough-love department:

Patrick Roy is trying to make Jean-Sebastien Giguere a better person

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

12. montreal ace says:

PK Subban has become a better player, under MT and his coaching staff, and by a large margin also. Its disgusting the way people keep saying, that MT has held him back in his development, because he has a hidden agenda. MT is a great coach and a good man as far as his players are concerned, you see it in the way they play.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Agreed

• WindsorHab-10 says:

You’re either MT or a relative. MT is overrated as a coach and has accomplished zip, ziltch nada in the nhl. PK is who he is as a player because he’s good & players like him come once in a blue moon.

To summarizer, MT sucks & the sooner he gets canned the happier a lot of us will be including PK.

• habcertain says:

PK was destined to become a star if he played for Mario Tremblay, that is the reality. MT being declared a great coach maybe a tad premature, the Habs are where they are in the standings, due to stellar goaltending that has enabled them to squeak out low scoring wins in may games where they were outplayed. MT has not advanced the play of the kids, Price has excelled under Waite. Still a lot of water to flow under that bridge.

• Habfan10912 says:

I am not a MT fan and will give him credit for some recent support of PK but in my opinion you’re giving MT way too much credit. I think we have a young man who has faced obstacles all his life. This one was no different.

He overcame the crap being thrown at him from opposing players and some members of the media (MT included on RDS) with seemingly little support from his coach (now MT) and some of his teammates.

The overwhelming credit for PK’s developnent goes to PK himself. This coach would do himself some good if he hitched his wagon to this Star because shortly, and I mean shortly, we’ll be adding the word “Super” to the word “Star” to describe PK.

• JUST ME says:

Problem is that guys like Windsor and Timo benefit from freedom of speech i guess. The same guys that said the same things about Jacques Martin, Randy Cunneyworth and whoever will replace Therrien one day…

13. GL says:

Maybe MB is trying to tell us there’s nothing in Hamilton good enough to play on the 4th line.

14. Plekasuares says:

Therrien seems like a nice person I think. Always positive in his interviews it just comes across as a hard guy to get in a fight with. Might not be a good coach but always defends his
    Players

15. nbsjfan says:

A big thanks to Bergevin and the coaching staff for making PK the man he is!

Without them, PK Subban would probably be playing in the CHL or emptying garbage cans somewhere.

“I came here two years ago, he was a healthy scratch,” Bergevin said. “The coaching staff did a great job with him; he won the Norris [Trophy]. Now he’s part of Team Canada for the Olympics. We’ve done the right things with P.K. and I’m proud that he’ll be able to represent his country at the next Olympics.”

If I was Subban I’d take that little statement as a personal insult. The kid gets no credit from anyone, not even his own management staff. Why is there always that little hint of not wanting to give him full credit? Always there’s a dig. PK didn’t succeed, the coaching staff made him succeed. Therrien made him a better person.

Totally classless thing to say on Bergevin’s part and I’m rather surprised by it..

• shiram says:

He wasn’t a healthy scratch, Therrien made him a healthy scratch when he came in, and for bizarre reasons.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

That was my reaction as well, but perhaps you didn’t see Kooch’s apt reminder below, suggesting that such comments are most likely all part of the negotiation game.

• mdp2011 says:

I had the same reaction as you when I heard the video. Really troublesome comments. At first I thought it might be one of those “lost in translation” things since English is not Bergevin’s first language, so I went and listened to the French interview and he said essentially the same thing. Very head scratching that Bergevin and Therrien can’t give PK a simple compliment without putting him down in the process.

• mrhabby says:

lol….right….

• Luke says:

Actually, If you listened to PK over the last couple of days he’s echoed those comments.

Spoke of how they worked to make him a more complete player etc…

Remember that when PK was drafted the running gag was ‘You don’t spell PK with a “d”.’

Personally, I think too much is being micro-read into every syllable spoken.

• habs-fan-84 says:

It’s a good thing you don’t play professional sports. Otherwise, you’d have a lot of hurt feelings.

Mountain meet mole hill.

• Habsrule1 says:

I wonder if PK is reading all these comments on here and thinking…”ya know…these fans are right….I’m being insulted….maybe I should be upset”.

No I don’t. He’s not because he doesn’t care what you think. I think PK has thicker skin than all of you. I can’t imagine how all you softies get along in your real life.

Go Habs Go!!

• habcertain says:

I’ve just loss a level of respect for MB, must be the only GM in the league that is praising his coaches for a player’s invitation to the Olympics. I think this was a moment reserved for the player. Classless move by MB, to inject MT into the spotlight, pretty ballsy too considering PK does not have ink on a contract, which if it doesn’t happen should end MB’s short tenure with the Habs.

16. ClutchNGrab says:

I noticed on the web a lot of people questioning Rick Nash presence on that team versus the “snub” of a guy like St Louis.
    Looking at the forwards that came in vs forwards that came out from 2010, the presence of Rick Nash is more link to the type of players that were lost and the fact that they weren’t replaced with players with the same attributes.

OUT
    Jarome Iginla
    Dany Heatley
    Eric Staal
    Mike Richards
    Brenden Morrow
    Joe Thornton

IN
    Matt Duchesne
    Chris Kunitz
    Patrick Sharp
    Steven Stamkos
    John Tavares
    Jamie Benn

Less size, no power forwards while Morrow and Richards are complementary players that will go to the net. Adding St Louis for Nash or even Kunitz would have just increase that gap.

• mrhabby says:

the players that are out are old (exclude stall) and have had there day in the sun. i like the new fresh faces and what they bring..they are part of the new group like PK and Price.

17. Danno says:

“I never got wind of it,” Bergevin said about a possible rift between Briere and Therien.

Note he did not deny it categorically. Or am I reading too much into this?
    ________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

18. Dunboyne Mike says:

So are we expecting Giroux to play with his hair on fire?

19. christophor says:

The idea of having Subban locked up at around 5mill per, instead of on a bridge contract, is of course enticing.

However, setting the precedent with the bridge contract will allow Bergevin to keep all of Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Tinordi, Beaulieu, and Bournival. They’re all RFAs after next season.

• Cal says:

Exactly. It was a very smart move.
      Besides, if Price gets a bridge contract, everyone should.

But I have read from good sources that MB is an idiot for doing the bridge, how does what you just say fit into that?

• Timo says:

Your sources are not wrong, Burlington.

• Eddie says:

I’m with Timo here. Bergevin blew the file.

Also was wrong to re-sign Bouillon, Murray, and Briere.

Just call it as I see it.

I hear you, but you also compliment good moves when you see them as well. That is something our friend Timo, doesn’t do.

MB is no Sam Pollock (yet…), and I think we would both agree Ed, that most rookie GM’s make mistakes. So long as he learns and shows us that he can make some good moves over the rest of this season and during the off season, I can live with the mistakes he has made.

I still rather MB so far than PG.

• mrhabby says:

respectfully disagree 100%. I just call it as i see it.

• Eddie says:

Ya of course Burly. I would love to see some great moves. And I will be the first to compliment.

Bringing in the goalie coach seems to have really brought something to Prices game for example. That was a great move!

• Eddie says:

Stephane Waite.

I knew you weren’t lying!

• Kooch7800 says:

I am for Bridge contracts for that exact reason. As Buffalo how Tyler Myers is working out for them

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Luke says:

Or How Kadri is for the Leafs.

I’m sure they are happy to be paying the 3 mill for a 25 point guy as opposed to the 5 mill for the 25 point guy.

the bridge does not work in hindsight. (Unless you also count in how beneficial it is a far as retaining rights goes).
        The bridge was a solid choice.

Oilers will find out soon enough.

• The Juice says:

Bingo

For those who think otherwise, hindsight is 20-20

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”
        @JohnnytheJuice

20. Dunboyne Mike says:

@Mavid.
    Keep meaning to say it — that is one extremely cute looking kid!

21. Kooch7800 says:

It just dawned on me….a reason why Giroux may not have made team Canada…didn’t him and Crosby have a war of words after their playoff series including a fight between the two of them? If I do recall correctly he blamed him for his wrist surgery.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

22. Et le but says:

It was almost 3 years ago that the Habs, who were struggling on the road at the time, went into Philly and won 5-3, with Jan Bullis (remember him?) potting 4 goals. Hoping that we can repeat that with a victory this evening. Question is: who will be our unsung hero tonight?

23. Bourque has been playing well lately, though it hasn’t shown up on the board. With Chucky out, it would be nice if he produced tonight.

Problem is, when he starts to heat up, he usually gets injured himself… =/

Defense wins championships

24. Habilis says:

So let me get this straight:

Price is dinged up so Budaj starts. OK, I get that.

Galchenyuk is full on injured so we dress 7 D or Parros instead of calling up a Leblanc or a Thomas… That, I don’t get.

Philly is 8-2-0 in their last 10, one of the hottest teams in the league. Maybe tonight is not the night to be dressing 7 D.

Optimism… fading.

25. Sportfan says:

Can we please call up a forward! We did so many call ups last year why is this year so different -_-

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

26. bwoar says:

Bergevin’s comments make me uneasy, particularly regarding PK.

“thoroughbred”

27. GL says:

Last word on the 4th line for tonight.

Bouillon Moen Parros

28. Mattyleg says:

Hmm…

Max – DD – Gally
    Bork – Larry – Bourne
    Biere – Plex – Gio
    T-Mo – Murray – Diaz

It’s that big presence at ‘C’ that we’ve been looking for all these years…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

29. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Twelfth a’ight!

30. Dunboyne Mike says:

Re-post, with apologies. Thanks, Ron, for the news on Parros (not dressing).

Hello all.

Great chat in the brief scan which is all I can afford at the moment. McGuire, MSL, Sochi, Flyers.

Very conflicted about MSL. I believe he would add to and not detract from the team. However, part of me also feels that he deserves a place as a reward for what a great player he has been for so long — and maybe the whole reward things is dangerous and what Stevie Y and co. are obliged to filter out of the reckoning. Would I be correct in saying that in previous Olympics fans like us were furious about old campaigners getting the nod ahead of brilliant newcomers? Still, the sting of it for me is how the injured Stamkos gets a place ahead of him.

(Or, now that “Team Canada Snub for Subban” didn’t happen, we’re just transferring our perennial HIO rage to someone else’s case?!)

McGuire: encyclopedic hockey knowledge, very media-savvy, apparently a good guy (according to some here). Just maybe not genuine GM material — on which perhaps Habs fans are extra touchy since at one stage he seemed like a genuine contender. Close call; give me MB any day.

I wanted Parros to retire. I hope and pray nothing happens to him.

I am nearly ALWAYS delighted when the back-up gets a game — such an important investment. NOBODY can stay sharp and 100% when they’re on permanent, uninterrupted stand-by. Let’s hope we bring our “Dallas” game: the Flyers’ resurgence looks real and they are ticking a lot of boxes.

Let’s hope Bournival stays calm and doesn’t try to capitalise on his new opportunity all in one go. I think this could be the making of him.

Anyone have any news of Bill of UCE?

Did anyone see Kassian’s goal two nights ago?!

• Ron says:

The above says game time… Nilan and Dollas say not dressing but just lately Sergio M, who is with team doing the radio feed still says game time. You would think SM would know since he is in Philly..

31. JF says:

From “5 Things” linked above: The Flyers have just won five of six games on the road, and have not lost on home ice since November 7.

32. Dunboyne Mike says:

“Elegant understatement has been replaced by a parade ground of vulgarity.”

Front! Your AM posts are so very different in style from your PM ones.

33. Maksimir says:

7 defencemen I’ll bet… maybe throw Murray on the 4th line? HA!

34. CJ says:

No word on call ups for tonight?

35. GL says:

Don’t see prust in the lineup for tonights game.

36. monmick says:

First…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

37. Bripro says:

Are you saying that my grandson can play too?

38. Dunboyne Mike says: