Bruins: Seguin, Recchi will dress; no Big Z

Boston Bruins coach Claude Julien announced last night that the highly touted Tyler Seguin will dress for the visitors tonight at the Bell Centre vs. the Canadiens. Here’s the full Bruins roster, with captain Zdeno Chara hitting his head on the arena ceiling when he stands up in the press box. (There could be a combined 53 Canadiens and Bruins up there tonight.)

Forwards: Bergeron, Campbell, Caron, Horton, McGrattan, Paille, Recchi, Reich, Sauve, Seguin, Spooner, Wheeler

Defence: Bartkowski, Bodnarchuk, Boychuk, Hunwick, McQuaid, Seidenberg

Goalies: Rask, Schaefer

Boone blogs live

• Stubbs talks to Mike Cammalleri

And for your pre-game amusement, candid footage of the HIO Summit (posted by Boone; don’t blame Stubbs for it)

hkOYQV4wTMM

Aaron Palushaj impresses his coach: Pat Hickey

Jaro Spacek happy to be playing the right side

• François Gagnon on the Bruins

Leafs suck, Jaro drops Blues debut and Tanguay shines

1. BJ says:

Koivu was a great player and leader on very mediocre teams. I really appreciated his contribution over the years.

2. BJ says:

The have a good defense its helps to have a good offense. Until further notice that will be a huge challenge for Toronto to have to find a way to balance offense and defense.

3. andrewberkshire says:

If he was at best a 60 point guy, how did he surpass 70 points twice after 1998?

4. G-Man says:

Sorry, Saku was nowhere near the player he was before that 98 knee injury in Chicago. I was surprised the Habs kept him so long. At best a 60 point/season guy- and for a number 1 center that’s nowhere near good enough.

Hear that, Gomez? :)

5. sholi2000.com says:

No goaltending, no defense, and little scoring.  The only reason they go anywhere is because of the division they are in.

They Call Me Shane

6. SnowManHabs85 says:

Its a little surprising to see when Leaf fans said they have one of the “best” defense in the league. Hahaha, it’s surprisingly funny. Maybe Kadri ain’t ready yet for a full time NHL job.

7. Bugs says:

That’s weird.

I just heard TSN finish saying he was the greatest thing outta Sveden since Dolph Lundgren.

Why would TSN exaggerate about stuff like that?

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

8. Bugs says:

I was gonna mention something to Effie about his motivation (you kow what I mean, Kabbie) in replying to me the way he did, but then I thought “no, this would only work if another member of the Trifecta showed up.”

Yay!

Don’t ever forget, Effie: if my argumentifying was too careless towards you in the past, anything and everything I say afterwards must be attacked and by all means characterized as idiotic. This will make you come off smarter than me, which is very, very important, and therefore, you will be a more reliable agent in the data delivery process than my stupidity and ignorance could ever allow me to aspire to in the future. But MOST importantly, and this is the capital kicker, you recover that lost pride I so foolishly trod on long ago.

Now, I wonder if the third member…naah, that would be TOO on the nose.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

9. Bugs says:

I guess you saw that TSN report tonight too?

“There’s no QUESTION the leafs are UNDENIABLY better this year; now, let’s look at the crop.”

I was reeling.

First off, they recognize that apart from Kessel, it’s kinda thin. So I was like “Really? Get ON outta here!”

But then, they (and by ‘they’, I mean the toranna sp. net.) take for granted that their goalie position is one of “depth”. And that they could “trade” something outta there that would give great offensive return. I’m like “Did I miss somethin? Did I miss the good part? Giggy got his equipment shrunk and proceeded directly to get outplayed by a rookie; and when the “monster” is playing good, which is 50% of the time, he still can’t score. What the hell? Depth? In what way? The hole you’re in is deep, deep, deep, kinda depth?”

Cuz with all the crap the Priceberg takes in the face, so far, he’s been twice the goalie this “monster” has been, and WE don’t even say “depth” yet. Right away, I thought “this is a joke.”

Then, I hear that Dion, Komo, Beauchemin and ?Lebda? is apparently a defensive juggernaut akin to Pronger and cie, instead of a bunch’o'hot-headed pylons I thought I was lookin at all this time. And they (and by “they”, I mean the actual club and not the toranna media sock puppets bought and paid for by a teacher’s fund) could “trade” something outta there that would give great offensive return. So finally, I was like “they’re doin this on purpose at TSN; throwin The Twilight Zone in our faces and watchin us squirm.”

What is this, some kinda friggin joke? You got shellacked by KIDS today! Kids! Friggin CHILDREN! Look at yourselves! You don’t even CARE how stupid you look! Why do you do this?! Stop!

I’m out, I’m out, that’s it, I’m out.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

10. ooder says:

dude pierre dagenais was a beast!!!!

——————

88 is the new 23

11. andrewberkshire says:

Is anyone surprised?

12. ooder says:

hahah the leafs are sooo bad

——————

88 is the new 23

13. rocketsglare says:

Saku Koivu may have not won a championship in Montreal, but it was not for a lack of trying. He did the

best he could with the team’s he was asked to lead and regardless of his failure as captain to bring Mon-

treal a championship, he gave his all and more and for that, we should be greatful for his many contrib-

utions to his former team and to the city of Montreal.

14. citizenSanto says:

absolutely. It’s hunting season after all … not wabbit season

————————————————————–

Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are.
    – Augustine of Hippo

15. K-hab25 says:

And you responding to him is what?

16. citizenSanto says:

srry double post

17. avatar_58 says:

I managed to have more saves than Gustavsson tonight.

18. Bugs says:

The odds of you giving a leaf jersey away?

Ummm, 100%?

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

19. Bugs says:

“Accidentally” of course. We don’t wanna see anyone get hurt after all.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

20. Bugs says:

I stink because I love, you know that.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

21. citizenSanto says:

ah bugs

ain’t he a stinker!

———————————————–

– Augustine of Hippo

22. Harani says:

Recchi was actually in his 3rd season when Seguin was born! That’s EPIC!

“It must be love!”

23. otter649 says:

Recchi was probably playing in The NHL before Seguin was born……..

24. avatar_58 says:

Btw I won a Phaneuf jersey, gave it to my friend. What are the odds?

25. otter649 says:

Yes, A split club for both teams like baseball does in spring training games. It could start a trend in the near future for other NHL teams to do this and possibly get a look at more players in their system and also get & finish their exhibition game schedule finished earlier……..

26. Clay4bc says:

If you don’t like it, don’t read it. Whining about it is just childish.

__________________________

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.

– George Orwell –

27. avatar_58 says:

While I love me some Saku, he wasn’t “the best player” in recent years. He fought hard, he led with courage – but it’s not like he was a 50 goal scorer, a master sniper or some awesome dangler. He was Saku. Cammalleri, Gomez and Gionta are far more talented offensively.

BUT! He was still awesome and will always be a hab, no matter which jerseys he wears in the future.

28. oshawahabsfan says:

Thanks for posting, it would be fitting for him to be captain, he’s definitely a leader. Selanne could be a good candidate as well

29. SeriousFan09 says:

Toe Blake, Emile “Butch” Bouchard, Maurice Richard, Jean Beliveau, Henri Richard, Yvan Cournoyer, Bob Gainey and Guy Carbonneau did not lift the Canadiens to Cups by themselves, why was supposed Koivu supposed to?

30. habsfan321 says:

Bruins roster for tomorrow’s game:

Forwards: Tyler Seguin, Mark Recchi, Blake Wheeler, Patrice Bergeron, Gregory Campbell, Jordan Caron, Nathan Horton, Brian McGrattan, Danny Paille, Jeremy Reich, Maxime Sauve, Ryan Spooner

Defensemen: Matt Bartkowski, Andrew Bodnarchuk, Johnny Boychuk, Matt Hunwick, Adam McQuaid, Dennis Seidenberg

Goaltenders: Tuukka Rask, Nolan Schaefer

Source: http://www.somethingsbruin.net/boston-bruins/september-2010/bruins-roster-for-pre-season-opener-released.html

31. TOEmastro says:

Can’t wait for tomorrow, takin’ my bro to the game

32. avatar_58 says:

Tinordi should “deal” with him

33. likehoy says:

i bet there would be more posters on that site than on this one.

“oh kovalev/halak/latendresse/theodore/recchi/guy boucher/cedric desjardins/moore”

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

34. Sheldon says:

Poor Saku will go down as the Don Mattingly of the Habs. The best player to have worn the jersey without winning a Stanley Cup.

35. Sheldon says:

I didn’t see you from my spacecraft, but I did sense you. Me and the rest of my alien friends know you were there. Good on you! Tell us, did the Gladiator dude show up for the opening?

36. Exit716 says:

Went further in the playoffs last year without him.

37. Sheldon says:

Hey, he’s been clean for a year from what I’ve been told! LOL

38. avatar_58 says:

I was at the Leafs game. I’m pretty sure you know the score. Anyone see me? I was wearing my kovy t-shirt right behind the net :D

Shoudn’t you be posting that at exhabsinsideout.com

40. soflohabsfan says:

No one Perezhogin is in Russia.

It raises the bar for sure, for the Habs I mean as they’re our division rivals, but to see the Leafs rebuild the Bruins really, really annoys me. I can’t imagine how the Leaf trolls are reacting to Burke’s genius Kessel trade.

42. SeriousFan09 says:

Koivu story on life in Anaheim for those with fond memories of Saku.

43. Yeats says:

And, you suspect that somone on the Habs might perpetrate such an act? Who you getting your dope from?

I said the same thing a few threads ago. Cammy is my choice because he buys into what being a Hab is. His eyes light up when he talks about it.

45. soflohabsfan says:

Are the Nucks and Flames playing 2 games tonight?

46. Yeats says:

I’m in your camp on all of those issues. Hell, even Cherry is on board with the no-touch icing. That speaks for itself!

47. SeriousFan09 says:

NHL mandating visors, no-touch icing and elimination of hard-cap pads would do much for player safety and who would it hurt? NO ONE, in fact less people would get hurt, it’s insane.

48. HFX-HabFan says:

Classless as always.

49. oldrrty says:

I just feel that he truly loves be a Canadien. You know the feeling of pride and tradition and pure joy you got when you put on your first Canaidens sweater? I feel that Cammie gets it every time. He was the only one that shook everyone’s hand at the centennial game. He totally gets it!

I don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

50. Yeats says:

Agreed. Brendan Shanahan wore a pair just like my old Sherwoods. That is, no hard caps and just padded protection. I hate the current gear. That’s why I refuse to wear pants or shoulder guards when playing pickup. I must admit though that I have jettisonned all the padding I can in the interest of increased speed and of course modesty!

51. Bugs says:

Hopefully, Seguin won’t have an…”accident” in tomorrow night’s game.

God forbid and knock on wood and all that, but sadly, “accidents” have been known to happen. An “accidental” slash in the back of the neck or an “accidental” elbow to the jaw that requires months of reconstructive surgery, you never know… Still, terrible to see guys get hurt, but what can you do when “accidents” are involved? You can’t plan for those.

Ah, I’m sure everything’s gonna be juuuust fine.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

52. SeriousFan09 says:

Iginla notches the winner in a 3-2 game for the Flames over the Canucks, nice solid wrister, Iggy’s still got it, shame he hasn’t got it on a contending team. Fire the Sutters already, preferably out of a cannon.

53. rocketsglare says:

But Gionta is still my man for the “C”.

54. otter649 says:

Unfortuate about Savard maybe missing the season but is this just another blogger opinion or a twit as you would think Boston should know more about Savard’s condition than an outside source but if it is true it would help Boston & their salary cap issues………..

55. rocketsglare says:

Check out Nicholas Costsonka’s article on Mike Cammalleri (see YAHOO sports). He is one determined and

committed man and nothing to him appears insurmountable. Love his fire and passion for the game! Just

a great signing by the team.

56. Matt_in_TO says:

The 48th Highlanders is a great tradition but MLSE might want to rethink this.  It’s not like it’s brought them that much luck the past 43 years.

- In Price We Trust

57. SeriousFan09 says:

Very cool article, I saw that one earlier today.

I can easily live with Cammy wearing the C, but I just get a bigger vibe from Gio wearin’ it.

58. SeriousFan09 says:

Nothing like handing your divisional rival Top 5 picks in the draft! Is it wrong to want an 18-year old kid to be a Daigle-level bust if that happens?

59. oldrrty says:

No offense to Gionta but I would love if Cammie was the Captain. This link is all the proof you need

I don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

60. HFX-HabFan says:

Even if Savard is out for the year, Pete Chiarelli has to be liking his chances of snagging Adam Larsson next June.  Burke, you idiot.

61. andrewberkshire says:

I heard they were going for the record most years you can milk a single championship as a winning tradition since the only cup they ever talk about is ’67.

62. JD_ says:

I’m stickin’ with my prediction the Loafs finish 31st.

I know, I know, there are only 30 teams in the league but, if any one team can manage to attain the impossible of all worst possible outcomes, you can count on the Loafs to do it.

63. andrewberkshire says:

I just love how they play off a ton of fights in camp like it’s just a bunch of buds playing around, when Komisarek tried ti ragdoll a guy. And with Kessel, Giguere and Phaneuf being noted for attitude problems, that team is going absolutely nowhere.

64. andrewberkshire says:

Well I guess he’s right on that one.

65. HabsProf says:

Interesting name from the Leafs-Sens tilt tonight – Corey Locke potted a goal and an assist for +2 on 2 SOG.

Nice to see he still has a shot at the NHL.  I, for one, am cheering for the guy.

_____________________________________
    “Deserves” got nothin’ to do with it.

66. JD_ says:

To be fair to Wilson, he was specifically makin’ reference to big saves on shots taken from the other team’s goal line.

67. SeriousFan09 says:

I love the nonstop talk about Giguere mentoring Gustavsson, mentor him to what, strap a mattress to his chest?

Giguere wanted out of ANA because of Hiller taking his job, how will he feel about Gustavsson threatening his? Not a happy room, especially if Phaneuf’s game can’t keep up with his mouth (which it can’t, at all).

68. andrewberkshire says:

My favourite was how Wilson bragged today about how they were going to get the big saves this year without Toskala.

69. light_n_tasty says:

The lightning are one of the most improved teams this year…

70. SeriousFan09 says:

Look at Gio’s shoulder pads! Take a note NHL punks, that’s what a man’s hockey pads look like, they’re protection, not weapons.

71. Sheldon says:

I can’t stand the Leafs, but I do like the 48th Highlanders: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-EeX7onhH4.

The boys from TO need more of their truculence.

72. JD_ says:

What?

WHAT?

The Loafs laid a goose egg in a 5-zip whuppin’?

Phaneuf was undressed by Nick “Not As Good As His Dad” Foligno?

The Monstrosity and Under The Bus were mediocre?

The fans booed?

Wilson had to call a timeout durin’ a 5-3?

Wilson still has a job?

What’s goin’ on here? I mean, all the Loaf season previews had headlines like “They Should Improve” and “The Season Should Be Better” and ”Things Are Looking Up” ‘n’ stuff like that.

Damn misleadin’ Loaf season previews! Damn ’em all to hell!

73. SeriousFan09 says:

TBL are leading Dallas 4-2 with 5 minutes left in their game, might as well hand the Cup to Vinny and Yzerman now folks.

74. scrowe21 says:

The refs are driving me insane already…..and ive only watched a game and a half. Chris Lee needs to gtfo

——–

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

75. showey47 says:

Well he did miss the mesh over the glass like he did with the net all night. At least he is consistent.

76. derfab says:

Good kid. He could crack the national junior lineup and then make some noise at future camps. The Habs seem to have a number of interesting prospects knocking at the door, including Palushaj, who gets to play with the big boys tonight. Of course, when you realize that the average nhl career is a no more than a few months long, everyone becomes a long shot.

77. habs03 says:

Man I’m really hoping Eller ends up being the 3rd C instead of playing him on the wing, we finally get a big C and we better not make him a winger, plus I think Boyd is much more effective on the wing.

78. derfab says:

I agree, though the Habs cannot afford to carry an ineffective winger on either of the top 2 lines, so he might get the call come November. Though the camp might reveal something different, Eller is one of the only players who seems ready, with the necessary offensive tools to compliment the top 4 vets.

79. Max_a_million says:

I think they should put together three lines that score, and one line that checks.

How about Eller with Pouliot on the ‘third’ line.

Hell we only played three lines last year, why do we need two checking lines.

Gomez – Gionta -

Plekanek – Cammelleri – AK

Eller – Pouliot –

Halpern – Pyatt – Lapierre

Still need to place Moen and Boyd, maybe someone else offensive comes out of camp?

80. davelecave says:

I really don’t think the problem will be beating out Boyd for a C spot, it’ll be taking the spot from Lapierre/Halpern.  Halpern I think is a lock as “shutdown” line center, as he’s a good faceoff guy and has a ton of XP.

And the media will likely freak out if Lapierre is moved from his royal inheritance at 3rd line C.

81. habs03 says:

Ideal,

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta

Cammy-Pleck- Kost-

Boyd-Eller-Moen/Laps

Pyatt/Darch- Halpern-Moen/Laps

Markov-Spacek

Hamrlik-Subban

Gill- Gorges

OB/

82. nunacanadien says:

If Eller can win faceoffs then he is a natural.  If Gauthier sees he can’t then he would still be a natural just based on his size, even if he doesn’t win, he’d be big enough to hold the line, something we did not see last year and which was our greatest weakness during the Philly series, lack of winning and holding the faceoff.

83. homerbowen says:

Here in Toronto management at the FAN 590 fired most of the on-air broadcasters last spring. Most were simply LAFF butt kissers anyway so I was quite pleased. Now they have a “looney” shock jock from Halifax and a couple of other losers so I guess the merry-go-round continues. Well this morning the crying and excuses started….you know it just makes my day waking up every morning here in the hockey ”center of the universe”. Can’t wait for Don Cherry to get started with his excuses as well but most importantly I’ve got RDS and my Habs are playing tonight. Go Habs Go

84. habs03 says:

Both Boyd and Lapierre are more effective on the wing, and I think he said he is going to play RW all year, but he is good at faceoffs, a good thing about putting Eller a C and Lap at RW on the same line is on faceoffs on the right circle you can get Laps to take them, RH shots have an adv on the right circle, LH adv on the left circle.

85. Harani says:

Lines for tonight according to RDS

Aaron Palushaj-Tomas Plekanec-Mike Cammalleri

Tom Payatt-Jeff Halpern-Maxim Lapierre

Travis Moen-Ben Maxwell-Benoit Pouliot

Andrew Conboy-Louis Leblanc-Gabriel Dumont

Josh Gorges-Hal Gill

Jaroslav Spacek-Jarred Tinordi

Yannick Weber-Frédéric St-Denis

Carey Price/Curtis Sanford

“It must be love!”

86. Mark C says:

Very much interested in seeing Palushaj tonight, all the reports paint him as having good skills, hockey sense, and passing ability. Will be important to find out if he can raise his game to Pleks and Cammi’s level, if AK 46 or Benny need replacing at any point, Palushaj will be high on that list.

87. Keith says:

I feel for you having to put up with their tripe. At times it must be unbearable.

88. derfab says:

I’ve always seen Cherry as insightful and enjoy his grudging admiration for the Habs. He is often very critical of the leafs but, as you’d expect, speaks to the fan base of the broadcast.

89. SmartDog says:

Are you talking about Andrew Krystal (‘looney from Halifax’)?   If you are, you are WRONG.

Krystal is one of the best radio guys out there.  Very smart, doesn’t put up with crap from anyone. Doesn’t like BS or anything that is too PC.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

90. WarHero says:

Actually, Cherry was all over the Leafs last night and actually praised the Sens (he never praises the Sens)

And did anyone see Nick Foligno walk around Phaneuf like he was a pylon?

————————————————————————

91. Max_a_million says:

Moen doesn’t score goals, seems like it would be nice to have someone who can score with Eller.

92. forskis says:

It is not so bad at times…Bill Waters in the Leafs post-game yesterday gave it to Komisarek:  he is not sure Komi is worth 4.5MM per and that he isn’t as good as he really is having played with Kaberle and Markov…which is opposite to McGuire saying Komi is great and Markov will suck without him.

They just need the irrefutable facts that is all…with five NHL-calibre/starting D-men last night, they said it pretty fairly:  if Carl Gunarsson is going to be their best D, the Leafs are going to have issues.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

93. davelecave says:

Hopefully Schultz gets some ice time as well.

94. Harani says:

He’s not playing tonight. Maybe later but JM said not tonight.

“It must be love!”

95. G-Man says:

Martin put in a “meritocracy” last season. He doesn’t give a rat’s a$$ about the media. That”inheritance” comment is utter bull$hit.

96. davelecave says:

Maybe this is shallow of me, but I just want to see what he’s got with the gloves off.

97. HFX-HabFan says:

The next generation of the EGG line!

98. mike g says:

THE WAIT IS OVER!!!!!

- No longer do we have to wait for a Habs game, RDS and Benny Brunet will be on air tonight broadcasting what should surely be another classic. I can’t wait to see a nice battle along the boards between Bartkowski and Conboy tonight. MAN!, I’m soo pumped….

- No longer do we have to wait to see if the Leafs suck again, because they still do. Last night’s game was about as sad as my chances of winning a Nobel Prize. It was great to see that the Leafs not only dressed 75% of their NHL roster, but the Sens spanked them by dressing less than 20% of their NHL roster. Phaneuf got burned like toast in a fireplace, Versteeg thaught he was Gretzky and couldn’t stop trying to put the puck between his legs, Kadri looks like he’s 12 years old and always does the same move, and Colby Armstrong is basically a really ugly Max Lapierre who’s making 3 million $ per year….GO LEAFS!!!!!!!

- No longer do we have to wait to see Tyler Seguin play his 1st NHL game. While tonight’s game doesn’t officially count as an NHL game, the Bell Center faithfull should welcome him the same way we welcome our own players; by booing him. I mean, it would just feel weird for a Habs fan to cheer on a Bruin, even if he’s a great player. So please feel free to yell and scream all the french insults and bad words you guys want tonight. This way, Seguin will have to constantly ask Bergeron to translate what our fans our saying, and it will waste their focus and take them both off their games. If they play bad, Habs win, Habs smash, go home Boston…..Now that’s what I call home-ice advantage.

- No longer do we have to wait to see Jaro play with his new squad. He lost, yea so, wtv. He’s still great, right? But man, if Carey woulda lost to a bunch of AHL’ers in his debut with abother team, Boone and Stubbs would be buying Ferrari’s right now, cuz this site would have 12.8 million hits today. Anyways, I kinda saw inside his eyes in the pics of Jaro’s debut, and they screamed “I miss MTL”. Sorry you had to go Jaro. Maybe when your contract expires you can come back here. We wil surely need something good to argue about, cuz by that time Leblanc and a few rookies might have develloped into good players. So, you know, you can come back and throw some fuel on the fire.

Anyways, that’s my Wednesday morning post.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

99. Bill H says:

Interesting choice of lines, with Palushaj on the first line and Pouliot on the third line.  I’d say that is a very clear message to both those players.

100. saskhabfan says:

Chiarelli must be smiling ear to ear with the real possibility of having a line of seguin- knight-coutouier from the kessel blunder. Bruins fans can call them the TML line.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

101. Mark C says:

Some intriguing subplots with this lineup:

1) Can Palishaj play with the big boys? A strong preseason showing by Aaron and he might be at the top of the list for top-6 minutes if/when needed.

2) Pyatt, Halpern, and Mad-Max – A potential bottom-6 line, will they show chemistry and offensive ability?

3) Benny and Timid-Max – Will playing with Moen help these two display some more initiative in their games?

4) Leblanc and Dumont – What does Montreal have here? I’m looking more for Leblanc’s grit and competitiveness than his offensive abilities, given his line mates tonight.

5) How does Tinordi stack up to NHL competition, while playing with a puck-moving veteran? If/when Tinordi breaks into the league he is likely to be paired with a similar partner and asked to play more of a stay-home game.

6) Which Yannick Weber shows up this year: the one who scored 16 AHL goals as a 20 year old, or the one who struggled with consistency and confidence issues last season?

102. scrowe21 says:

Thats disapointing

——–

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

103. Hagar says:

Woo hoo, it’s game day. I can’t wait for my boy Weber to tear it up. “It’s my goal to lead the league in 4 minute roughing things” -Scott Gomez

104. showey47 says:

lmao,great post.

105. SeriousFan09 says:

Haha on Toronto :)

106. SeriousFan09 says:

Interested to see what St-Denis brings and if Pouliot has strengthened his legs like he said, perhaps he’ll keep his feet more often and be more effective around the net. Louis and Gabriel I look forward to seeing as well of course, Dumont is a volume shooter (too many heistant shooters in MTL for the last few years) and I’d really like to see Leblanc’s skating prowess.

107. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I was thinking the same thing re: inheritance. It became quite clear with Martin last year that you had to earn your ice-time. Plus, as somebody already mentioned, Lapierre has been told by the coaching staff that he will play wing all year (barring injuries).

108. mike g says:

Merci alot.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

109. Chuck says:

Agreed. I’ve been listening to him since he originally made the move to Toronto and was on after the morning show. Good stuff.

110. mike g says:

I couldn’t stop laughing at them…

The guys on Leafs TV are for sure smokin’ the best Maryjane this world has to offer. The most exciting part of the game for them was when a beachball fell onto the ice in the 3rd period. They were goin’ nuts!!

But apart from that, it was pure comedy. Ron Wilson stormed into the dressing room after the game. Apart from a couple of fights and throwing around useless bodychecks, the Leafs have absolutely nothing this year. Funny to see how everyone was/is so excited to see them, and predicts that they’ll compete. They sure will compete, but it will be for bottom spots and another top 5 pick for the Bruins in next years draft.

And the dudes on sportsnet looked like they wanted to cry last night. Bill Waters had a terrible twitch, IMO totally linked with Toronto’s stinker last night. Nick Kypreos sounded like he was giving a speech at a funeral, and after pausing for about 5 seconds, he lowered his head and said that the AHL might be the best place for Kadri this year.

And all the way in MTL, I could hear Leaf-nation die.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

111. andrewberkshire says:

GO HABS GO!!

112. christophor says:

1/22  0.45

113. nunacanadien says:

Hmm after Gainey got ahold of the leagues toughest guy, and he basically went eating tofu on us, it makes me if the Habs will ever have what it takes.

114. SeriousFan09 says:

The Phaneuf captaincy is going to backfire on them, he’s weak with the media and he’s trying to play out there like he’s Scott Stevens but he can’t actually land the hits. House ‘o cards in the making.

115. WarHero says:

Oh Tony … yet again you have not a clue.

Did you even watch any of Laraque when he was in Pitts? He was already tainted when we got him.

————————————————————————

116. GrimJim says:

sorry double post

117. GrimJim says:

Just fyi WarHero, nuna is not actually a Tony clone. Nuna has been a troll on this site for almost two years, well before Tony242 started to grace us with his opinion.

118. GrimJim says:

JUst to add, MAx is almost assuredly a winger now. Not only did he play there for the 2nd half of last year but he’s listed in the Training Camp player list as a winger and if you check out JM’s lines it seems he likes to have a center and a former centre out there in case the centre is thrown out (Pleks and CAmmi; Moore and Laps, Metro and Pyatt/Maxwell, only Gomez rides without a shotgun)

119. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I agree with you on the 2 centres per line idea that Martin seems to like.

Lines could be:

Cammy-Pleks-AK

Eller-Gomez-Gionta

Pouliot-Boyd-Lapierre

Moen-Halpern-Pyatt

120. Yeats says:

Still need someone to pick up the slack on D and go “Full Breezer.”

Tony is just another HIO way of saying douche-bag-troll.

122. Mark C says:

What is this, Montreal management taking a proactive approach by getting Gallagher to learn from Gionta and Gomez?

While it is way too early to tell if Brendan Gallagher will be more like Stephen Gionta or Brian Gionta; it is clear Gallagher realizes that improving his skating, and the willingness to always be moving into the danger/scoring areas are his only ticket to the NHL. Can’t help but root for the kid, hopefully he makes it to the NHL some day.

123. habs03 says:

Time is going by so slow at work, I can’t wait until 7 PM. I have no idea how I was able to live without hockey during the lockout. I think if the NHL and NFL went on strike in the same year, I’d have some serious issues!

124. Max_a_million says:

I think history will prove you correct sir.

Palushaj has talent, JM really want him to excell putting him on the first line.

125. SeriousFan09 says:

Gui, soft between the ears, soft on the boards and a crybaby in the press, why exactly would we miss him? At least BP has the potential to do something this year.

126. nunacanadien says:

I think the whole NHL is laughing at us all, here we argue that two untried rookies are our future and that trading a winning goalie for them was a winner.  Which GM in their right mind lets a winning goalie go?  The habs didn’t win a cup this year but it was made to sound like we had no choice but to let Halak go.  In fact Gauthier and Gainey painted themselves into the corner on this one.  They rigged their contracts this way, it was the only way to clear themselves of the embarrasment of supporting Price who showed he does not have it still, and chances are he may never have it completely ever again.  So we will keep pulling Price out of nets to keep safe his winning record and we’ll warehouse this kid for ten years, and see wave after wave of potentially good goalies come and go, while we never win.

127. Hagar says:

I dunno about hands down. 1 shiny prospect for a starting goalie seems a little weak. If Schultz works out for us I’d say good trade. Halak will have to flop though for us to say we won hands down. “It’s my goal to lead the league in 4 minute roughing things” -Scott Gomez

128. Mr. Biter says:

At least we were in the Playoffs. Where were the Wild?

129. saskhabfan says:

Really? The whole league is laughing at us? Then why didn’t the other 25 teams (who are apparently laughing at us) also put an offer in for halak instead of just tampa,chicago,philly and st.louis? Which none would offer a proven young roster player. Who are these waves and waves of potentially good goalies that come and go? Huet?Theodore?Danis? Racicot?Bergeron? Abby? frederic chabot or les kuntar? LMAO. You are most credible when you don’t post anything.

“I don’t always agree with decisions made by coaching and management. But in the end i still want the team to succeed. A fan is a person who cheers for the logo on the front,not the name on the back.”

130. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

And to think I was about to congratulate you for a sensible, reality-based post on Eller above in this thread. Then, you go and post this utter nonsense (or NUNsense as some other posters refer to your rants).

Seriously? No other team lets winning goalies go? How about San Jose cutting ties with Evgeni Nabokov, who made it just as far as Halak in the playoffs LAST YEAR and has proved WAY more than Halak over his career. Notice how nobody in the NHL picked up Nabokov as well. Or how about Theodore, who has won a Hart and Vezina and carried worse Habs teams to playoff round victories and is now looking for work?

Bottom line, teams are changing the way they approach goaltending. The Habs feel Price can do the job and took advantage of Halak’s hot streak to get more for him than most goalies have fetched in trades in the last 5 years (look it up, goalie trades have fetched nothing but draft picks for the last several years).

131. Psycho29 says:

I can’t believe I am answering your post…

I think the whole NHL is laughing at us all.  Really? You know this for a fact? Really?

Which GM in their right mind lets a winning goalie go? You don’t have to look very far….See Niemi for the BlackHawks.

The habs didn’t win a cup this year but it was made to sound like we had no choice but to let Halak go.  In fact Gauthier and Gainey painted themselves into the corner on this one.  I think in order to keep Plekanec Halak was let go. Like someone else mentioned, the Blues could have had a Cup winning goalie for no prospects and a lot cheaper later on. Who’s the incompetent management? Time will tell…

They rigged their contracts this way, it was the only way to clear themselves of the embarrasment of supporting Price who showed he does not have it still. Yep…and the moon landing was filmed on a backlot in Hollywood…Oh and George Bush was behind the 9/11 attacks.

So we will keep pulling Price out of nets to keep safe his winning record and we’ll warehouse this kid for ten years. Yes we will warehouse him next to Walt Disney and Ted William’s frozen heads…

Have a great day!

132. Storm Man says:

Go that way —————————————————————————>

133. nunacanadien says:

I wonder if we’ll ask the same question about Eller and Schultz, were they worth trading Halak for when we don’t get that far into the playoffs next year.

134. 123456 says:

whatever the deal it is way to early to see how either team made out. give it until the new year.

secret mod

135. HFX-HabFan says:

Well, you’re no fun.

136. HabFanSince72 says:

We won both trades. Hands down.

137. Say Ash says:

Indeed, many here aren’t done with their daily Latendresse/Pouliot comparisons

138. G-Man says:

That was another brilliant trade. Looked especially bright late in the season and playoffs.

139. TOEmastro says:

oh, oh ,oh! I almost forgot about that!!!

140. RGM says:

So true, Lats was really lighting it up for Minnesota in the post-season.

141. riazp says:

LOL…we’ll see how lats does this year apparently hes fatter than ever…in the end it will  end up as the same. pouliot needs to proove himself if he wants another nhl contract

142. LA Loyalist says:

So when you buy a stock and it goes up 2 cents the next day do you have a parade?

I don’t understand how anyone can have such a strong opinion (either way) when there is no evidence yet.

There is no way of knowing yet how the trade(s) worked. Probably by Christmas we’ll have a better idea.

And of course the third corner of the trade: if Price finally comes through obviously giving up Halak will look much better than it does at the moment.

“20 games to a new tagline”

143. HabFanSince72 says:

The Blues could have had Niemi for nothin if they had waited a bot.

The reason I say we won is that we traded him when goalies were still valued, and when he was a very hot commodity. If we had waited until August we’d have been lucky to get a used Zamboni.

144. G-Man says:

Did you notice BP in the playoffs, or was that just that big guy who was always falling on his a$$?

145. derfab says:

D’Agostini had the unibrow thing going, as i recall.

146. showey47 says:

No,from i understand only 2 of the 6. EDIT: Looks like they are airing 4. I could swear it was initially 2.

147. Danno says:

ME WANT HOCKEY!

HOCKEY! HOCKEY! HOCKEY!

NOW!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

148. ShangaDoo says:

HOO-HAH! HOO-HAH!

149. rocketsglare says:

Tomorrows game should be very entertaining with Leblanc and Tinordi and now, Seguin playing.

Could’nt ask for more.

150. Say Ash says:

Well, some would say Halak, but I won’t.

151. habsfansince91 says:

is the game going to be televised?

152. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Only on RDS.

153. adam76 says:

I guarantee - Sergei Gonchar will turn out to be the best off season signing of 2010.

154. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

I think he’s a great asset to have, but he’s built for regular season games. Not saying he can’t contribute offensively in playoffs, but he was horrible defensively against the Habs.

Moen deked him out! (I don’t have anything against Travis – I love him)

155. HFX-HabFan says:

If his creaky old joints hold up, maybe.

156. SeriousFan09 says:

If he stays healthy, sure, but at his age, the 35+ contract on a 3-year deal? Could hurt a lot.

157. SeriousFan09 says:

“Deke” is a generous term for a casual stroll by Moen.

158. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Hahahah! You’re right – now that I’ve re-watched the play, I noticed Moen didn’t even deke him out, he just went past Gonchar like he’s entering a park!

159. andrewberkshire says:

Halak having a rough start in St. Louis, 3 goals on 12 shots.

160. adam76 says:

Montreal wins the trade!!!

161. adam76 says:

Dear leaf fans,

Get use to it.

162. SeriousFan09 says:

The kicker? Shut out by an OHL goalie.

163. andrewberkshire says:

Just reporting on your hero.

164. JIMVINNY says:

Bitterness at it’s finest.

165. forskis says:

The worse kicker…the Leafs dressed FIVE NHL D-men.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

166. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

THE 5 NHL D-MEN, that are supposedly WAY BETTER than the Habs’ D corps (cough Eklund – cough*douche*cough)

167. Rugger says:

Plus almost 4 minutes of 5 on 3 in the 2nd

168. oldrrty says:

In the end I do not think that cups will make a difference for Saku. He was the heart and soul of the team for all of the years that he was captain. I see him coming back to the team to work in some capacity after he hangs up the skates and what better to start if off then to hang up number 11. Also do you ever think that someone else could have that number and “own” it like Saku did?

I would love to see Guy’s 21 go to the roof. He has the cups and the individual trophies to get him up there. I know that we all think that without Roy they do not win in 93 but who shut down Gretzky in the last series? Guy did. This also would mend the bridge that was broken between him and the club.

I don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

169. G-Man says:

I want what you are smoking. 11 to the rafters with no Cups on the resumé? Forget it. Carb’s 21? Don’t think so, either.

170. SeriousFan09 says:

Watching the Canucks-Flames pre-season tilt, I forgot how ugly Jokinen was until I saw this.

171. Say Ash says:

Thanks for the link, quality’s pretty good. Flames? Not so much.

172. Sheldon says:

Jokinen ugly? Are you talking about his looks or his shootout skills? Ranger fans want to know!

173. Sheldon says:

Might as well dress the Leafs first rounders for the next four years too. They’re sure to become Bruins!!!

174. Harani says:

Laffs Post-Game report or Feel-Good for Habs fans

-Laffs dressed 5 regular NHL D-Men in Phaneuf, Kaberle, Lebda, Gunarsson, Lashoff and lost.

-Had “The Monster” and “The dude who puts his agent’s face on his mask” and lost.

-They had no less than 8 power-plays and lost.

-They had 3:20 of 5-on-3 as a gift from Bettman and still lost.

-They faced an Ottawa team that dressed maybe 7 or 8 guys who were actually goign to be up with the team. No Alfie, no Spezza, no Heatley (sorry I forgot!) and no Kovy II AND no Gonchar. Have you heard of anyone of the following players: Roman Wick, David Hale, Ryan Keller, Mike Hoffman, Tim Spencer, Bobby Butler, Robin Lehner? Well…they’ll all be here on Friday and we gonna show em’ how it’s done.

-And an OHL goalie in Lehner got a shutout.

Bottom Line: Leafs have taken suckulence to a whole new level. Stan Bowman who better watch his back at all time because Kris Versteeg is gonna get him good for this.

“It must be love!”

175. HFX-HabFan says:

I know David Hale and Ryan Keller.  That’s about it.  I think Butler signed as a FA from college last spring.

176. Harani says:

-And a shootout to the fan who threw a beach ball on the ice at the ACC. Even though Toskala wasn’t in goal tonight…EPIC! Gotta love those who come equipped.

-Great promotion value for Coke Zero tonight. Zero-admission for the fans. Zero offense from the home team

“It must be love!”

177. ProHabs says:

Ya but they didn’t dress their All Star defenceman Mike Komisarek tonight. With him in the lineup, it is a whole other story.

Literally made me blow my coffee out my nose and I’m not even drinking coffee.

179. habsfansince91 says:

you know what’s really funny? Us habs fans actually voted him into the all star game…

180. SeriousFan09 says:

Breakin’ out the Home jersey for game-day, it feels good.

181. CERF says:

gotta love the classic CA habs jersey!

182. CP31 says:

I’m drinking my coffee, reminscing of our very own Finnish Flash, Captain K……Saku Koivu. And I thought to myself 2 questions, what do you guys think:

1) Will the ovation received during the Jan 22/10 game against Anaheim rival the ovation he received coming back from cancer?

2) Does the franchise, who normally shows a lot of class to ex-Habs when they return, do a little something special for Saku during the pre-game?

FROM SAKU TO GIO, SAME STATURE AND JUST AS MUCH HEART!! GREAT DECISION!!

183. Mike Boone says:

No and No.

184. RGM says:

1. No – it’ll be nice but nothing close to that special moment.

2. I think the closest we’ll get is the Ducks putting Saku in the starting line-up so that his name gets announced over the PA to allow us (and I do mean us because I will be there) the opportunity to salute him.

185. CP31 says:

Mike, I hope that you’re wrong but realistically I agree. It would be virtually impossible to trump that ovation given to Saku after returning from cancer.

But I do hope the Habs do something special for him, even a simple video montage of his career here in Montreal. I’ll also be looking to see if our new captain GIO extends some form of good will gesture/gratitude out of respect. GIO is in NO WAY obliged to do anything, but I could definitely see him going over to Saku during the pre-game to say thanks on behalf of the Habs.

RGM that makes 2 of us that’ll be there for that special night.

I’ll tell you one thing that’s guaranteed, I’ll be at the Bell Centre promptly at 5:30, anxiously waiting to be let in.

FROM SAKU TO GIO, SAME STATURE AND JUST AS MUCH HEART!! GREAT DECISION!!

186. 123456 says:

1) no – but i wuld expect a nice ovation.

2) no – saku is my favorite alltime hab but unfortunatley he is a memory. the club needs to focus on winning this year – not dwelling on the past with selected ceremonies.

i would not mind seeing some photos of saku and gionta together but i’d prefer it be a couple hours before the game, not while on the ice.

secret mod

187. oldrrty says:

I don’t know if they will do anything that night but I do believe that his will be one of the next two numbers to be retired. Koivu’s 11 and Guy’s 21 will be the next numbers to go up to the rafters!

I don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

188. CERF says:

1) No

2) Other then a pause for the ovation i dont see them doing anything

189. Dave Stubbs says:

I recall the Leafs two seasons ago doing an in-game video tribute to Darcy Tucker, who’d left Toronto and had gone on to Colorado. The ACC crowd woke up and went berserk, the Leafs on the bench looked desperately uncomfortable as the thing dragged on and on and on, and the Avalanche beat Toronto. Tucker might have scored that night.

I talked to Tucker about it when he came to Montreal a few days later and even he seemed a little uncomfortable about the whole episode.

Ideally, the Habs will be in great shape in the standings when the Ducks come to town and they can do something that will honour a great human being and an inspirational captain. But not at the expense of the Canadiens’ fire and effort, with every point absolutely critical in the standings.

(And what about Paul Mara?!)

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

190. TorontoHabsFan says:

I think they’ll go the Sundin route – a video tribute during the 1st television timeout.

Pavel Valentenko is at the Ranger camp trying to get a spot on the team.  NY has some good, young Dmen (Del Zotto, Gilroy, McDonagh),  so Valentenko is fighting an uphill battle.  It will be interesting to see if he stays here in North America if the Rangers send him to the AHL for the year.

192. habsman-itoba says:

Only 10 hours and 20 minutes left until the world gets happy again.  Go Habs Go!

193. Keith says:

Leaf’s suck lol! THAT says it all. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the hockey highlights this morning and hearing the laff fans booing. It made my day, even though I feel like s**t today and stayed home from work, but I’ll be RARING to go tonight when the Habs take on the booins. GO HABS GO!!!

194. habsman-itoba says:

I’m a teacher and I like to start my classes off with a joke.

Today it’s simply going to be “toronto maple leafs.”

195. DAVE. N says:

I flipped channels a few times last night just to see how these two teams compared. Early in the season, but nice to see some things just don’t change. Gotta admire the Laffs for their consistency. This is a franchise that remains true to the standards we’ve all come to know and love about them!!!

196. dhenry1234 says:

I’ll be there too! First game at the Bell Centre and I picked a great one I’d say.

197. SeriousFan09 says:

I’ll be there as well.

198. HFX-HabFan says:

So, we could look at it this way:  we sent Halak and D’Agostini to STL for Eller, Palushaj and Schultz.  Does that soften the blow for some of you?  I’m thinking we just might come out ahead in this one.

199. G-Man says:

Ok, but it was Halak for Eller and Schultz and d’Ags for Palushaj. Revisionist history does not apply.

200. DAVE. N says:

..Need opinions…I’ve got the chance to drop Kovalev and pick up Tanguay in my league…any thoughts on wether its all hot air about Tanguay getting back to a potential PPG set up guy?

201. HabFanSince72 says:

I still maintain that Tanguay was excellent for us – when he was not injured.

The issue is whether he deliberately took himself out of the Bruins series instead of playing hurt.

202. riazp says:

Agreed, when healthy tanguay was very good for us. kovy is on the downswing, personally id pull the trigger, and just hope that tanguay stays healthy

203. Max_a_million says:

I would go for Tanguay over Kovalev, mainly because of the Iginla factor.  He is such a good player that he is going to bring up Tanguay’s level.  They had trouble scoring last year, so I would imagine they will go with Jokkinen, Tanguay, and Iginla on one line.

Go for it!

204. Corio says:

RDS says they will be airing the game..

205. Keith says:

Will RDS be airing all the Hab’s pre-season games?

206. 123456 says:

mara – i was thinking he get handed a construction pylon…ouch that was too much wasn’t it?

secret mod

207. TorontoHabsFan says:

I think a better comparison would be the video tribute the Leafs gave Sundin when he returned. I don’t think anybody was embarrassed with that one – the Tucker thing was weird ’cause, well, it’s Tucker, and not the guy who was captain for the last decade.

208. riazp says:

Its game day…sort of…hehe

Here is what I will be watching for tonight:

How Leblanc reacts to the bell center crowd and how the crowd reacts to Leblanc…I hope the croud goes easy and not recreate the latendresse scene again.

Also how the croud will react to price if he lets in a soft goal or two. I hope that they all know even though they paid full price and were forced to buy these tickets with their packages that it is a pre-season game, and the first one too.

I’m also looking foward to see how seguin does…hopefully well even though once again its preseason just so that leafs fans can suffer just that much more…especially after last night…

The Leafs suck, all is well with the world, enjoy the game all.

209. LA Loyalist says:

A Habs win and a Leafs loss is like a 4 point game even when they play other teams. :) Go Habs!

“20 games to a new tagline.”

210. Max_a_million says:

Really looking forward to Leblanc.  Our young core of players seems really good and exciting right now!

On the other side of it, I think Leblanc may have the biggest bushiest eyebrows of any human being I have ever seen.  Is it weird to notice that?

”Last season we couldn’t win at home and we were losing on the road. My failure was that I couldn’t think of any place else to play.” – Harry Neale

211. LA Loyalist says:

Totally agree with you.

Anyone who has actually played the game at a competitive level knows when they are too hurt to help their team – and may risk hurting their team.

Hockey is a unique game in some of it’s physical demands on ankles, knees – the torquing in your upper body.

I don’t think we were very wise with Lang or Tanguay – yea it’s a risk, but that’s why you need some depth to mitigate those risks. And what message does it send “If you get seriously injured you’re going to get dumped”. That may encourage hurt players to play when there is no way they should.

I will say it looks like (hopefully) we are getting some depth in the pipeline.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”