Video: Coaches, players on Games 1, 2

thornton

Rugged Bruins forward Shawn Thornton had a delicate session with the media today.
Stubbs video framegrab

The Boston Bruins had a brisk, all-hands-on-deck practice – and an intense 40-minute session it was – at their Ristuccia Arena training facility in Wilmington, Mass., this morning.

There was a whole lot of traffic creation and physical action in front of the goalies and the mood was at times serious, at times a little light.

And there was no sense of defeat in the Bruins dressing room afterward, Brad Marchand going so far as to say the Bruins fans weren’t booing their own team, but more expressing their disgust at the Canadiens winning. Whatever.

I was in interview scrums with Shawn Thornton and Michael Ryder and was front-row almost centre for coach Claude Julien’s news briefing afterward. First up: Habs coach Claude Julien from the team’s 5 p.m. media availability.

Video of those sessions is below:

1. Willy says:

Bolts really taking it to the Pens right now. That has all the makings of a 7 game series. I think the Habs would match up well with either of those teams.

I know this isn’t a ticket selling site but i have a pair for game 4 on Thursday night and i can’t make it so i’m looking to sell em. $375 for the pair in section 312 row D. Craigslist is so bogged down and i figured if you are a Habs fan you are gonna be on this site anyways. If interested let me know

2. JohnBellyful says:

JM, you are a Grade A coach and it’s taken me this long to realize it. I haven’t been entirely enamoured of The System but it does produce results, so God (and Bob Gainey) bless you.
    To be honest I never quite understood it … until Boston coach Claude Julien helped me appreciate its genius today at his press conference. You see, going into the series Habs fans were worried how the team would stand up to the Bruins’ punishing physical game.The thinking was, the Canadiens would be beaten into submission by the Big Bad Bruins..
    It didn’t happen, though, did it JM, you sly renaud. And even Claude was able to figure it out. Here’s what he had to say.

“We want to be physical but it can be a challenge when you feel you played most of the night with the puck. We had the puck all night. We didn’t spend that much time in our own end so our D’s didn’t get that involved physically. You’re not hitting when you’re controlling … We still got a fair number of hits but I think that deflated the physical aspect of our game.”

I feel so embarrassed. Here I’ve been complaining about the Habs being a terrible puck possession team and that was your plan all along. Sure, let the other side have the puck, go ahead, wear yourselves out, and by the way, you can’t hit us while you’re at it.
    Now, that’s gotta be frustrating. And it was. And the Bruins never caught on, even after you let them win all those face-offs.

So what’s it going to be tomorrow night, JM? No? That’s okay, I understand. Wait and see.

I should tell you, though. I heard Julien say something about paying Price, so the Bruins could be a little better around the net. Should I inform Colin Campbell? That’s got be worth an investigation. I don’t care how many phone calls to his son it takes.

3. HabsFanInVictoria says:

Do Montreal players speak to the media the same way Thornton does? It seems a little arrogant to me.

• Gorges_the_great says:

To his credit he was the only Bruin yesterday who gave credit to the Habs for being a good team and didn’t just make excuses.

• ” I don’t listen to the radio, I don’t read the newspaper”. Yeah right Thornton.

I think Thornton is indirectly dodging questions. This is NOT a confident man here.

” The Habs will win the Cup ONLY with Carey Price in the Nets “

• Tony McLean says:

I think he’s angry, embarrassed and uptight. The collars are tight in Boston.

“If I wake up in the morning in a bed with white sheets I think I’m in the hospital.” John Ferguson in Tex-Made Sheets commercial, 1960’s

4. Psycho29 says:

Found this great video of what Zdeno Chara does in the off season once the Bruins get eliminated from the playoffs…..

5. Jdub1985 says:

Everyone in Beantown especially the Bruins themselves will consider tomorrows game an elimination match. They know it – they CAN’T come into Montreal 0 – 2 … Habs need to keep level headed and desperate … they ain’t won nothing yet. They NEED to WIN TOMORROW!

6. Watching these three videos, its sounds to me that the Bruins are not in desperation mode. Yes, its only game 1 of a 7 game series, but my worry (or at least the Bruins worry) is that if the Canadiens win Game 2 tomorrow night, that will leave the Bruins heading to the Bell center trailing 2-0 in a arena that will absolutely go crazy. The Bruins can’t ill afford to lose Game 2.

Also, a few words about Tim Thomas. I could recall on the last week of the season, Thomas and the Bruins had a 2-0 lead over the NYR only only to blow the lead in the last minutes of the third period and lose 3-2. I recall how frustrated Thomas was after the Rangers scored to tie the game. If the Habs can frustrated this goalie, maybe they will get into his head and his starts losing it in nets. Also, compare to Carey Price, Thomas never won any sort of championship throughout his career (minor or NHL, correct me if I am wrong). Does Thomas have the experience to take the Bruins into the Cup finals?

Finally, I want to tip my hats off to Scott Gomez. Its nice to see Scotty find a little of his game and start enjoying playing again. Maybe this is the spark that he needs to help the Canadiens start winning playoff games.

And for Carey Price,…what a start, but he needs to continue to focus and play his game and he’ll do fine.

” The Habs will win the Cup ONLY with Carey Price in the Nets “

• TINMAN17 says:

I think Thomas won a Championship playing for a club in Helsinki.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

• The Bruins actually had a 3-0 lead and lost 5-3.

• On April 4, 2011, yes indeed the Bruins had a 3-0 lead, was cut to 3-2 after 2 and Rangers scored 3 goals including a empty netter with 3:48 left in the game. NYR Brandon Dubinsky’s goal that tied it was were Thomas expressed his frustration. If he kept his cool, maybe he would of not allowed Michael Sauer to score 51 seconds later.

The point is, frustration can play a big role on a players mental game.

Thanks for the correction Andrew.

” The Habs will win the Cup ONLY with Carey Price in the Nets “

• Didn’t mean to question your point, you’re exactly right. I think that game shook both the Bruins and Thomas, showed them that they weren’t the Juggernaut the media will have them believe.

You’re exactly right that the Bruins are both easily frustrated, and that it rattles them. I absolutely loved their post-game comments last night. Julien flipped on the media, and so did Thomas. One game in and they already look like losers.

7. CHsam says:

Okay I can’t wait for tomorrow’s or Monday’s game already. Ahhhh the playoffs.

8. VancouverHab says:

Most miserable man in Montreal & Boston today? Claude Julien? Nope.

Jack Todd.

The two players that the malevolent hack writer has belittled and abused in every single column of fishwrap that he has written the past two years as part of his midget’s animus against the giant Bob Gainey, both indisputably demonstrated their majesty and playoff value in last night’s valuable game.

I quote an actual Montreal journalist, Mr. Basu: “Gomez ….has 61 points in his last 62 playoff games over the past seven years, a sample size large enough to slap the “playoff performer” label on the guy.”

Oh yeah!

“‘Fids ! Oh, Fids! I gloat! Hear me gloat!'” Rudyard Kipling

9. JD_ says:

* Gomer stat I caught somewhere last night: In the six first games of the playoffs since the 2005-06 post-season, he has earned a total of 15 points: 3, 3, 3, 3, 1, and the 2 last night. Innerestin’.

* Be original or don’t bother.

* Thought this was a great comment in Eric Engels’ piece: “And getting back to the importance of mental edge, that’s what the Canadiens likely held before last night, and if they didn’t, they own it now. It’s the Bruins who will have to consider altering their game-plan. If they believe the only thing they have to do to beat Montreal is to hit them into oblivion, this series might be over before there’s a chance of it becoming competitive.”

* Think it also helps when your team’s elite goaltender completely outplays the other team’s elite goaltender.

More gratuitous schadenbroonze:

* First, hats off to T. Tommy for his candour, admittin’ that if he had only choked a half-second later, Gio would not have scored that second goal.

* Brad “Slappy” Marchand’s comments regardin’ who or what the Broonz fans were booin’ – cause, accordin’ to his nibs, it wasn’t the Broonz – immediately brought to mind the previously inimitable Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf, the Iraqi Minister of Information otherwise known as Baghdad Bob.

10. observer says:

This Bruins team has lost its last 5 playoff games.

11. Kimberly2u says:

The two best parts of last night after our obvious win was Bob Cole saying the fans are leaving and then seeing Cam Neely leaving before the game was over…Priceless…lol

12. kirkiswork says:

Think I love Ryan White….ya I do.

13. JohnBellyful says:

Man, that’s got to be the longest queue ever. No. 1579 just to post a comment. Geez, all I wanted to say was WOW! But I imagine someone has already beaten me to punch. So what’s left to say that hasn’t been said by now? Grasshopper plundered herbal plethora.
    What, I’m the third guy today!!!?

Did they also say:

Well done, Habs. A letter-perfect win. Three more W’s to go.

Pre-game BRavado by the fans
    followed by a BRavura performance by the team
    and now the BRuins are reeling.
    Is it too early to get out the BRoom?

Let’s not CHortle just yet
    Just because CHara and his mates
    are CHumps
    Let’s wait til we’re the CHampions

You’re kidding!?
    I give up

14. kirkiswork says:

It is not only Chara who gets easily rattled and frustrated, Lucic and Krejci and a few others can be goaded into taking a few penalties. It’s beautiful seeing the Bruins frustrated.
    Having said that, it’s only one win, another tomorrow would be absolutely huge.
    Can’t freakin wait.

15. nek25plus says:

Personally, I think that Chara’s not being suspended and him not just owning it and moving on, has hurt them worse than any suspension could have. The Bruins Org and the NHL could have been past this issue now if they had just done what should have been done. But since they didn’t the issue isn’t going away, it’s festering.

Cam Neeley was livid last night when Chara chose to take a penalty instead of smart play. They had plenty of time to try to mount some kind of come back. He yelled at Chiarelli in the booth.

Go Habs!

16. TINMAN17 says:

Awesome win last night! Gio : from Rochester, NY, played for the Devils, and best of all, has owned Boston since he was tearing it up with the Boston College Eagles! I loved watching him and Drury, playing for Boston University. Gio for mayor of Boston = Icing on the cake.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

17. LeMontrealais says:

I know one thing; Habs win game 2 and the Bell center will tremble monday night. Chara will have a good feeling of it…

18. habs001 says:

if only pouliot could provide some scoring..

19. Say Ash says:

Take that friggin’ Thornton picture off the page, man!

20. habs001 says:

sadly the refs may decide the game sat …if they let boston bully the habs plus give us a lot of penalties…we better be ready to kill 5-3 pp…they will try to run price…this is why an early goal would really help…

21. dasbooth says:

Anyone else see the frustration in Thornton’s eyes/voice? Man it feels like we are in their heads. And let’s face it, they are far more likely to be affected by the mental game than we are. Go HABS GO!!

“Shutouts are really more of a team stat” – Carey Price

22. SeriousFan09 says:

JM said today of last night’s effort by Tomas Plekanec it was probably the best game he ever saw him play.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

• habs001 says:

that is why it would be a great benefit if we could beat boston in 5 or less games…plecks would get rest that he did not get last year and was dead vs the flyers…

• SeriousFan09 says:

Agreed, Pleks can run a shut-down against a top line very effectively and Krejci isn’t exactly in Ovechkin or Crosby’s ballpark as a player. If Pleks can shadow and keep Krejci’s line off the scoreboard, the Habs take the series, and quickly and if he’s rested for next series, he can do it all over again.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

• Bill says:

Even the CBC named Pleks third star and mentioned what a great game he had.

One benefit of having good players signed to lucrative, long-term contracts is that they can worry less about their own production and do the little, unglamorous things that help the team without padding their stats.

The Leafs had what, three thirty goal scorers? Where are they? Even Wilson seemed fed up with Kessel a lot. I remember him griping about his line “being on for so damn many goals against.”

So Pleks was great. Gio was great. Gomez was just fantastic. I mean the whole team gave a great effort, even if that second period was pretty frigging dicey. It was an onslaught and the Habs weathered it … and then the Bruins had no gas in the tank in the third and the Habs just sewed it up.

Hope they’re just as determined, calm, and disciplined in game two!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• VancouverHab says:

Dear Bill:

Just alerting you to a misprint: your post reads “Gomez was just fantastic.” Better fix that.

;–)

• Bill says:

Haha, hey I am not blind and vindictive! He had a brutal season and honestly I think at some point he wrote it off and waited for the playoffs. I wrote before the series that I expected him to be better in the playoffs because he’s a proud player and he still has skills.

I’ll give credit where due every time!

Full Breezer 4 Life

23. habs001 says:

thomas really had about 3 hard stops and 2 of those went in…the pk shot on the pp could have gone in but hit darche our other good chances we missed the net. the first goal on saturday will again be big…

24. habsfan0 says:

Was there a problem with this site until recently? I couldn’t log in until now.

25. HalifaxHabs says:

The Bruins, their players and organization, have my full respect.

bahahahahahahahaha… oh man that was rich

BUCK THE FRUINS

26. WindsorHab-10 says:

It took a reporter to remind Julien that perhaps the Habs need to be given some credit for the win. What a bunch of sore losers. I guarantee that if we take the lead tomorrow night, the Bruins will resort to what they do best. Goon hockey. I hope our team just sticks to the game plan & not stoop to that level.

“Hate the Bruins like a sickness”

27. Bill says:

Someone mentioned that Julien the Hutt wasn’t happy in his post-game remarks last night … anyone know where the video is?

Full Breezer 4 Life

• The Cat says:

He has no one but himself to blame, youd think JM had the last change.

• HalifaxHabs says:

Yeah, lots of people like to hate on JM around here, but he knocked the sh1t out of Julien last night in the battle of the coaches.

Hopefully it keeps going that way

• Bill says:

I don’t like Julien as a coach, but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. His players let him down. Then again, a good coach has a team that is ready to play the way he wants, so … edge to Martin indeed, even if his strategery drives me nuts. That second-period was white-knuckle time …

Full Breezer 4 Life

• HalifaxHabs says:

I was mostly referring to match ups…

I would credit the 2nd period Bruins domination to their talent level. They have really good players, but they couldn’t sustain.

You’re right it was white-knuckle time, but there was a part of you deep down inside that had full confidence in Carey to bail us out. :)

• TINMAN17 says:

Bill, try BostonHerald.com or Boston.com it is the Boston Globe online. I’m pretty sure ESPNBoston might have what you’re looking for also.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

28. Chris79 says:

Plz get that pukes face out of the Header….

On TSN there is a clip from John Tortarella’s presser… hilarious.

30. Danno says:

I’ll be in Montreal on Thursday. Anybody know about the party/fanfest held outside the Bell Centre?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

31. joshua94k says:

Team Canada’s Malcolm Subban shut out Czech Republic 5-0 in the opening game of the World U18 championships.

32. Tony McLean says:

The site needs an FAQ. How do you upload your profile pic???
    merci d’avance

• shiram says:

Create a gravatar account that uses the same email you signed on here with.

• LA Loyalist says:

I’m sorry. This is a hockey site. Please don’t start advocating for the “Federation Abandonee du Quebec” (“FAQ”). It’s inappropriate.

We are NOT all moving to Rejavik or Keflavik, not withstanding the blondes (real blondes, trust me), the hot tubs, the cheap Aquavit… where was I? Oh yeah, it was bad enough in ’79 when half of Montreal moved to Toronto and and you couldn’t get a U-Haul trailer for love nor money. Besides, the bars there are full of Brits on cheap binges (actually, the bars everywhere are full of Brits on cheap binges, but that’s another story).

Anyway, the MAIN reason we are not moving to Iceland, no matter what the FAQ promoters promise us, is there would be NO HABS.

Case closed.

33. Dennis says:

One of the most impressive things for me about the game was Tomas Plekanec diving in the way of a Chara blast a la Guy Carbonneau. He showed a lot of guts.

When I’m owner/stickboy, things will be different.

• Danno says:

Dennis, I was impressed by Andrei Kostitsyn hitting Chara fearlessly. Gomez was a machine. Who the hell was wearing his uniform last night? Plecky had so many scoring chances, the law of averages will soon have him potting many. And I really liked the grittiness of Tom Pyatt who won many battles.
      The whole D corps played a really solid and well executed shutdown game. Almost like a military maneuver. The brave bodies throwing themselves to block shots was a big reason why we beat the Bruins.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

34. observer says:

Did not even get a penalty, Sharks d-man left ice bleeding near end of 1st period then did not play the rest of the game Stoll gets 1 game PLAYOFFS suspension. Now how did Chara get NONE for Pacioretty hit?

35. Tony McLean says:

No crow needs to be eaten, Halak played some of the best goal we have ever seen anywhere. And Halak haters STILL won’t give him respect. What’s up with that? R-E-S-P-E-C-T

36. HNS says:

Fromt the Boston Globe…..

police have reported finding a body floating off a well known party area. The individual in question was obviously drowned due to alcoholic excess and misadventure. He was wearing ladies black nylon stockings and a red garter belt. He was also wearing a huge strap-on dildo and had on a boston bruin jersey.
He also had a rather large cucumber stuffed in his butt.
Police say they have removed the boston bruin jersey to save the family any embarrassment…

37. J_P says:

To all the price haters when the habs traded halak, I hope you guys are enjoying that crow!

That wink to Brent Sopel last night, Classic! Love that they used that in the “history will be made” video on NHL.com.

Still far from winning this series, but winning the first game in their barn certainly helps. I cant believe how flustered the whole boston organization is after one loss!

• Gorges_the_great says:

I’m the happiest crow eater in the world right now.

• LA Loyalist says:

Price has delivered his first playoff “statement” game. Amen.

Whether it was the rodeo, Bob Gainey’s bread recipe, the way he taped his stick… whatever, it worked.

Price used to give up a guaranteed bad goal a game, even in games where he otherwise played well, but he has matured, works well with his defense, and seems calm, methodical and very focused. This helps the guys in front of him a lot, of course.

As much as I loathe JM’s system, against Boston, close low scoring games will help us as they won’t be able to try and pound us and run Price (assuming the refereeing is decent). We just need to keep doing exactly what we did last night. And thank you to Gomez and Gionta for stepping up. Just in time.

• LA Loyalist says:

Don’t forget it’s their 5th playoff game loss in a row going back to last years melt-down. And they can’t say it was years and years ago with different guys, it’s pretty much the same team :)

We need to keep them off the scoreboard tomorrow as long as possible, even if it’s scoreless… the longer they don’t score, the more their heads will get messed up. Remember when we went 3 games and change without a goal… it can get pretty ugly, multiplied a thousand fold because it’s us, and the playoffs.

38. mrhabby says:

Its 1 game but a great win in a perfect road game. the box as price aludes to was played to perfection. not many shots down low and players kept to the outside.
    the bears will come out flying for sure on saturday night and lots of pressure on price ta boot. heres hoping martin can counter it again.
    how i wish the habs could play a more offensive game …i miss the old days (but not that long ago) when the habs controlled the tempo of the game. this defensive, rope a dope system is crazy but were winning. biggest concern is the need for more offense.

ps….nathan horton is such an ugghhhhh.

39. I thought the Bruins were going to come out with fire in their eyes and felt if we could get out of the first period either tied or down 1 it would be a good start. I never would have expected them to come out so uniformly flat, and for that Mr. Julien should be held entirey accountable. I cannot think of a single Hab that played a bad game, and I loved that it was Lucic and Chara who are wearing the goat horns today.
    We always seemed to downplay what I think is Montreal’s strength in this series and that is their poise, confidence and leadership. I kept thinking, over and over, last night how methodical this victory was. No overblown emotions, just a great work ethic, team commitment up and down the lineup and one of the best team defensive efforts I’ve ever seen. Play like this and we’ll be watching meaningful hockey in June. I LOVE THIS TEAM.

40. observer says:

Stupidest play of the night yesterday. D-man Vlassic of San Jose on a penalty kill (Sharks badly outplaying Kings but up only a goal), Couture and another Shark breakout on a 2 on one
    from their own blueline vlassic for whatever reason in his brain rushes up to join them , couture does not pass but shoots from about 20 feet out wide and ALL 3 sharks are caught at the net and they are already 1 man short, kings score on the 2 on 1 ensuing rush and game is completely turned around. from that point on kings play them at least equal and sharks lucky to win it in overtime.

2nd dumbest player kaberle who burke laid on boston. had 3 stupid plays yesterday including the game setting and winning goal.

41. SeriousFan09 says:

Hamilton Bulldogs may get reinforcements. Louis Leblanc, Phillippe Lefebvre and Alain Berger are looking at playoff elimination tonight. They’re all signed prospects with freedom to go pro once their CHL commitments are up. Which is good, don’t know how long Dawes-Boyd-Palushaj can keep HAM going in a stretch run in the AHL playoffs.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

42. habituels says:

Re-post from another thread:

Apparently some Bruin fans think that there is a conspiracy at work! LOL!

Check this out for a good laugh:

• You have to give them credit for figuring it out. not only did the Habs conspire months ago to make them spend more time in Montreal in April, but it’s really nice to know the members of Rush and Lady GaGa are Habs fans as well to even have allowed this conspiracy to happen in the first place. Darn smart, those Bruins fans.

43. Jocko says:

Loved the win last night and loved the frustration the Bruins started to show. I have to say I cannot stand watching the CBC anymore. I am almost ashamed Bob cole is from Newfoundland! The only thing I found interesting last night was Healy’s comment about anger management when horton tried to hack down Subban. If Subban gets on the nerves of the Booins that much, the stream of Goons to the penalty box will never stop. as for Chara, he is a goon and I only pray that he gets his one day.

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

• dh says:

Yeah it’s hard to believe Chara was just telling us how he’s not a dirty kind of player when watching him shove Plek’s face into the ice.

If you get RDS and understand a little French it’s better than CBC. Everyone today at the office was asking me what Don Chirpy said and it was fun to say that I had no idea.

You gotta wonder why our national sport only gets people like that as “experts” TSN isn’t much better.

• Jocko says:

I do get RDS, but it is not in High def. GD CBC!! Why don’t they bring in lafleur, Robinson, and Lambert in an interview with Cherry to go back in time and remember that 1977 series.

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

44. observer says:

Would you say the Habs played with just a little more intensity than they had in so many games in the obviously meaningless regular season?

45. DorvalTony says:

Thornton is surprisingly articulate but you can feel the tight collar from here. If we win game 2 it’s all over. Price is capable of that.

46. Clutch10 says:

Theres a poll on TSN on who will be the most hated player in the playoffs and PK is beating Sean Avery by 12% are you kidding me?
    What and bunch of jealous A-holes.

• observer says:

Racists and homo-phobes!

• Gorges_the_great says:

There aren’t many things more serious than accusing someone of racism but there’s clear evidence of a double standard when it comes to PK when you compare him to Marchand.

Marchand has the golf swing, is constantly yapping, and criticized Cooke’s hit while serving his suspension for doing the exact same thing. Yet he isn’t getting half the flack that PK is despite the fact that a lot of PK’s alleged disrespect is based on he-said she-said from players who got schooled by him.

I’m not accusing anyone of anything because it’s possible this fixation with PK is because of his incredible play or the logo on his jersey but I can’t help but, sadly, wonder…

• Clutch10 says:

Put a Leaf jersey on this kid and he’d be the second comming of Christ.

• dh says:

I think it’s more a case of Don Cherry standing up for his Bruins and labeling PK. But you may be right.

• observer says:

problem i have with it this started this year in his very first game vs toronto and it doesnt matter he gets insulted and targeted by players on teams to that point he never even played against. plus the exact words richards used” he has to respect “us people” like he means “his” people.

since when does any player have to or respect a player on another team? see what stoll did last night in the san jose game? didnt get a penalty. even kerry fraser on tsn said he should be suspended. but subban they dont like ……………………. HE IS A BETTER ATHLETE THAN THEM and it scares them because their daddies told them once only white people played football and basketball. and guys like him arte sure to take the big paying jobs from them. END OF STORY.

• jew4jah says:

too many haters.

chara = חרה

So Habs are not practicing today or what? What’s with all the fascinating coverage of the bruins?

48. SeriousFan09 says:

NHL already throwing together History Will Be Made Spots

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

49. joshua94k says:

Where were Mike Mibury, and PJ Stock last night. They were pretty quiet. I think Don Cherry will want to go on the Canucks – Black Hawks series since he will have to talk about how bad the Bruins are playing.

Check out this link and scroll down a bit to see a hilarious segment on what the opening night of the series could have been on HNIC.

50. SeriousFan09 says:

Going to be a good series if the boys keep it up, if Pleks can shadow Krejci while Subban does his thing against Lucic, that leaves Horton by himself and as he’s proven this season when those two aren’t doing the heavy lifting for him, he isn’t much. We can win this if Pleks doesn’t score a goal, they can’t win if their top line doesn’t produce.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

51. HabFarmer says:

Message from Ryan White to the rest of the Bruins:

“I’m not afraid of you, or you or you, you and you, you, you, you, you, and you. And you? You just stay out of my way”…… .

“No, I see. The monkey’s out of the bottle now!”

52. citizenSanto says:

is it just me, or does Julien look like Kyle Glass of Tenacious D?

Here’s the coach of the Bruins playing live in a song entitled Double Team

Careful kids, this song contains explicit lyrics (that’s sure to get everyone watching)

…………………………………………………..
    Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are.
    Augustine of Hippo

53. Clutch10 says:

Do we have to have Thorton’s ugly neanderthal looking mug on the header? I just threw up my lunch.

54. newbrunswick troy says:

Two quick Questions : 1- did it look last night like Don Cherry was forced to be somewhat neutral to his comments towards the habs??? hence the just joking about screwing up P.k,s name!!
    2-I noticed Gainey watching the game .. How many strings does he still have , when it comes to the day to day running of this team????

55. lavie says:

I guessed Hockey fans from Czeh and Slovak would debate each others watching frustrating Chara mugging Plekanec. LOL

56. Rob D says:

Hmm..Bruins in 5? Yep, that was my prediction. I really didn’t think they could duplicate last year’s formula.. otherworldly goaltending, absolute discipline playing Jacque’s stifling defensive system, and timely goalscoring from Cammy or Gionta.

Soooo..the little buggers go out and do just that..just to spite me! LOL..They can continue to show me no respect all the way to the Cup if they want.

I was surprised at how many battles the Habs won along the boards and behind the net. I watched Gomez fiercely contend puck possession a few times and I thought “woh..this is going to be different tonight” And it was. He had possibly his best game in a Habs uniform.

Pleks could have put this one out of reach earlier just by converting one of those in close “goalie out of position” chances but he basically generated those all my himself…so I give him a break there. He was terrific all night and seems to have his mojo and his wheels back.

I really think the Bruins think they have the Habs intimidated or something with the rough stuff and the Chara hit etc. I don’t see any evidence of that at all. I think Juilien is intimidated as a matter of fact. He’s feeling the pressure early and that bodes well for JM in the head to head matchup..JM doesn’t lose his cool nor does he get overconfident. He isn’t the perfect coach, but we could do a heck of a lot worse in terms of who is behind the bench is a max pressure situation like a Habs/ Bruins playoff series.

Chara mugging Plekanec had me laffing out loud..nice poise there, you big ugly. It was a fitting end to terrific Game 1 win.

• Gorges_the_great says:

I found the Chara thing a little unnerving. The game wasn’t completely out of reach for the Bruins at that point, and he did something really stupid. I’d hate to think what he could do if the series continues the way game 1 went… In a way, it would help us but if he really gets mad, watch out.

• shiram says:

It was a weird thing he did, for one it really killed any hopes for the Bruins to win, I thought for sure they would pull Thomas and go for broke, but their captain basically screwed them out of even trying it.

As for the future, well if he is that easily rattled, there is not much the Habs can do but capitalize on the penalties he will get.

• observer says:

EXACTLY BUT ALSO FORGOTTEN WAS SOMETHING A LOT WORSE NEARLY HAPPENED BECAUSE OF HIM THOUGH IT WAS LEGAL. HIS SHOT THAT HIT KOSTITSYN JUST LIKE HIS SHOT LAST WEEK ENDED CALLAHAN’S ANGERS SEASON.

Please excuse the caps.

• shiram says:

I guess you are angry, so CAPS?
            Anyways, at least getting hit by a puck is part of the game and legal… That Plekanec humping he was doing was wrong, on too many levels.

• observer says:

shiram– i only noticed when i was done typing. i was quite pleased with watching a real hockey game where both teams tried hard the entire 60 minutes. something we do not see in this bettman nhl much of the season.

as for what the thug did to plekanec? what else do you expect from him. i posted it here last night right as game ended and again today that anyone who calls him a clean player hasn’t been watching him. pacioretty he purposely directed his head into that post. and if you look close at the check he threw at plekanec, chara purposely threw his elbow at plekanec’s head to start the whole incident. then the pounding of the much smaller and prone player from above. disgusting.

• Steven says:

You guys are gonna call me crazy for this, but I think Chara was actually trying to get the Bruins on the powerplay, hoping Plekanec would retaliate.

…But, when you basically teabag the guy, yeah, that’s not gonna work.

• Good Habits says:

Agree. Is there anything worse than an unstable, giant Slovak? That wacky smile on his face while he was pinning Pleks was not sexy.

not about hockey but still ridiculous http://www.mytacotruck.blogspot.com

• dh says:

yeah it was hard to believe that was a two minute minor. what a hero.

57. Gorges_the_great says:

I love that Thomas said if Gio held onto the puck for a half-second longer on the first goal, he would have made the save. Gio did hold it for a half second, what does Thomas want? For the Habs to wait for him to be in place before shooting? Although, even that didn’t seem to help on the second goal…

58. Desi says:

I love how the Bruins are practicing 5 on 0s! Maybe that’s why they can’t score when they have opponents on the ice!

Les Candiens Sont La!

Is it just me.? I can not edit anymore.???

The only team that we will have a tougher time against is the Sabers. We will match up against the rest of the conference very nicely. Their coach that can match our Jacques Martin’s chess game.

It is not the size of the Dog in the fight,!

It is the size of the fight in the Dog my friends!

62. Say Ash says:

Behold! An actual intelligent comment from a Bruins fan on NESN:
    “Boston better stop whining and complaining about tactics and calls and just concentrate on their own play, this type of attitude is not going to win a series and it just plays into the Habs plans of fustrating Bruins fans and players, the NESN writers are also playing into this. Instead of looking for excuses I suggest Boston come up a plan to fustrate the Habs, and this doesn’t mean giving 5 shots back to PK Subban for clearing the front of the net. When Anaheim won the cup that had bad call after bad call against them, but they didn’t complain, they sucked it up and won the series against Ottawa in spite of this, Boston stop whining and just play hockey.”

63. Thomas Le Fan says:

That was fun. One game at a time, I say … next.

64. HabFanSince72 says:

One player who is very underrated in the “biggest jerk on the Bruins” category is David Krejci.

Obviously, choosing a “biggest jerk on the Bruins”, one is faced with a veritable smörgåsbord of choices. Krejci often ends up looking like that spinach salad that everyone overlooks in favour of more appetizing dishes.

But I think this interview makes a strong case for him.

First he accuses Subban of diving (in what is fast becoming a Bruin meme), then he shows his inability to grasp the fundamentals of the game:

“We were all over them playing in their zone,” he said. “We just didn’t get a goal, that’s all.”

It’s the “that’s all” that I especially enjoyed.

• shiram says:

NHL referees are sketchy at best, and the league is not giving them the tools to make the right calls.
      As for Krejci, bitter much? Pk, well he did an excellent job out there, though I have to say I did not care too much for his pleading move before that call.

As for being ” all over them playing in their zone” that can only apply to the second period, and their scoring chances we’re limited there anyways.

• HalifaxHabs says:

Sounds like the attitude of someone who will be eliminated from the playoffs earlier than expected once again.

If you can’t put in perspective why you failed, you’ll never succeed.

• habsindepth says:

I have seen a few of the first round matches so far, and the refs are letting all kind of things pass… as far as Bruins are concerned, they love to bitch and moan about everything. It’s good to find excuses about how you lost, easy for the fans to lay blame on someone else instead of trying to cover their own shortcomings in the game. Whatever, if Subban has gotten under their skins in the first game, good for the Habs!

Bruins are going to be under a lot of pressure tomorrow night and if Montreal plays a solid defensive game, the way they played last night, we will be set for sure. Montreal’s players were level headed, walked away from conflicts, did not take unnecessary penalties and did all that while frustrating the opponents. That’s the way to do it! Krejci can keep coming up with as many excuses as he can about his inability to score or him taking bad penalties. Everybody puts in a little extra for the refs, it’s not like the Bruins are angels. Did you see Chara’s surprise on getting a penalty after banging Plekanec? Ridiculous.

===================================
      Web: http://www.habsindepth.com – For the Fanatics
      Twitter: @habsindepth
      Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hidpage

• Danno says:

You would think after the league let Chara off the hook for his hit on Pacioretty the Bruins would refrain from complaining about not getting calls in their favour. The fact that Chara is still playing is living proof the Bruins are given preferential treatment. It doesn’t hurt that Daddy Campbell’s boy plays on the team. Krejci should just STFU!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• smiler2729 says:

In the words of Dale Hunter, noted NHL psychopest, “if you’re not cheating, you’re not trying to win”.

Every team has its divers and embellishers, it’s just some are really obvious about it (like the embarrassment known as Mike The Weasel Ribeiro).

“My second favourite team is whoever plays the Leafs”

65. Habitoban says:

Ignoring the ritual slagging of Benny that occurs in many circles, I guess the bottom 6 did their job last night by eating minutes and pretty much neutralizing the Boston lines that they faced. They played disciplined hockey, which means not taking any risks, and that includes with the body (exception being White who seems to have gotten the green light to bang everything in sight). Sadly the discipline seems to rob DD and Benny of their offensive creativity. Hope to see some muscle and a bit more offence from these guys next game. We will surely need it

Geez, people. Let’s not get all cocky as if this is a done deal. Remember, karma doesn’t like cockiness. Lets stay humbled, alerts and cautious. Habs won game one. Bruins will be back and they will be making Price’s life a lot more miserable than in game one. They will be hitting a lot more too. Habs will be tested a lot more than they have in game one.

Sigh. Stomach butterflies again.

• shiram says:

True Timo, true…
      But it was direly needed of our boys to get at least one win in Boston, and last night was a great way to start off the series.
      I think our boys are in this to win it, and hope they can maintain the same game they had going last night.

In shot, it was a very important win, and sent a great message.

• Timo says:

Don’t disagree.

• tigress says:

Spot on! We needed the first win…it’s a huge psychological victory. And yes, it’s only one game but it sure feels nice to wake up on the W side of that game. Watch out for Bruins. We need to play 60 minutes of really intense hockey tomorrow night to keep up with what is sure to be very angry bears.

Having said that…the Habs came loaded for bear last night. And shot them a big one!

Go Habs GO!!

A very confident, faithful, loyal-to-a-fault Habs fan

• Hobie Hansen says:

100% agreed

• kakey says:

Indeed. Remember last year when Washington were leading the series, Ovechkin said: I found Halak’s weakness. Theodore said: Tomas who? Jagr? Green said: There’s not much to this team…

It bite them in the arse at the end.

Be humble like Gio is the way to go.

• punkster says:

Ah, but it makes for exciting stuff. I’m expecting the Bruins to be more physical. I’m also expecting the Habs will be able to handle it and provide push back…with goals.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Desi says:

True dat. The Bruins did not play a good game last night, and still they dominated us for the most part and badly outshot us. They will be bringing it in spades for the rest of this series. There’s a reason why their forwards had something like 130 more points during the rgeular season than ours did. We may have better goaltending and a better defensive system, but if the Bruins crack that wall we will not be able to keep up with them on the scoreboard. Still, as a part-time resident of Boston at the moment, all I can say is that was one very sweet win. The bitching and moaning is still going full-throttle here.

• Fred D says:

omiT cocky; just feeling better.

• NoTinFoilCups says:

It’s fine for the fans to be cocky. Let’s just hope the team retains its humility.

Smart Dog.. Admitting you are stunned, takes quite a man!

• SmartDog says:

I’ve been stunned before and will be again!

I crap on Gomez because he doesn’t perform and doesn’t do what it takes to elevate his game. Last night he did – gotta call a spade a spade!

68. SmartDog says:

I have to say I am stunned.

Scott Gomez played well last night. He had his best game as a Hab that I have seen. My kids were watching and said “wasn’t that Gomez that made that pass?” And I said “yeah – and it was a GREAT pass”.
    If Gomez plays like this the whole playoffs, I’ll eat my hat. Or whatever.

• shiram says:

Actually have a bet with a friend that if Gomez or AK46 gathers 10 points in the playoffs I have to buy one of their jersey. After last night, I fear I might have to spend the $, but if so I’ll be glad to do so!

• SmartDog says:

Still a fair bet. It’s definitely a bi-win!
        What do you get from them if you win?

• ClaytonM says:

Just get #11 without a name, and if anyone asks, say it’s for Koivu or Muller :)

I was railing against Gomez early, like 20 games in, and it’s just great to see him play this way when it really counts. Ever since the Gainey chat, he’s been playing the way we’ve hoped he would. Keep it up, Scotty. And keep making us eat our words please.

Ken Dryden For NHL Commissioner

• Sbah Reverof says:

Agreed, but remember last year, he had a sub-par season, and came alive in the playoffs.
      He’s a post-season player who has an enormous and unwieldy contract that we like to bitch and moan about during the regular season.

“I respect your opinion, but you’re completely wrong!”

• Ian Cobb says:

Smart Puppy.. Gomez is a great team player, and has been all year long. That’s why he is wrapped up in a solid contract for the next 3 years my friend. Scoring goals is secondary, it is the way he controls each game with his feet and head! He is the perfect fit for a J. Martin’s style of game.

• HardHabits says:

Ian I love you but you sound a little bit too cheery sometimes. Gomez had an awful season and one game isn’t going to redeem it.

That’s why the Habs are so great Ian. We Habs fans keep the pressure on. We will them to over achieve.

It’s one game and we need Gomez to play them all like that from here on in. The scary thing for the opposition though is that should Gomez pick his game up to the elite level we all know he can reach it’s like the Habs acquired a top 6 centre just in time for the play-offs. ;-)

• punkster says:

Hey…sent an email to your fretboard ID. Hurley’s Saturday for the game with a bunch of HI/O folks. You in?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Ian Cobb says:

HH–Gomez paces himself until the play offs. We have known that for years. He plays defensive all year with and without the puck. He controls and intimidates the play all year. That is all Martin wants from him. Thats why he is paid the correct amount my friend.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Ya SmartDog I agree!
      I’ve put my foot in my mouth quite often on here too!
      Spacek is a lot more important to our defense than I realized.
      I was super happy too see him back and I made a lot of negative comments about him on this site over the season.
      He’s a good defenseman!

• SmartDog says:

The thing about Spacek is, he makes some pretty goofy blunders, but he’s actually smart and quick enough still to cover them most of the time. And mostly he’s pretty darn solid. And a very smart player.

• citizenSanto says:

Give Gomez a raise!

…………………………………………………………..
      Augustine of Hippo

• punkster says:

Hey Rob. Too soon to be boiling up that hat. Let’s both see how this series unfolds before either of us starts consuming articles of clothing. ;)

***Subbang Baby!!!***

69. HNS says:

While at the Booin practice facility, it is a wonderful opportunity to upperdeck their toilets there.

70. DearyLeary says:

Looks like they’re working on their breakout. Seems pretty lackadaisical, but a 50 second clip really isn’t much for me to judge.

Are you wearing a trenchcoat with the collar turned up, dark sunglasses, and an old hat? Are you really just a filthy Montrealer spy? Guaranteed some Beantowners are gonna go ballistic if they see this video.

71. Hobie Hansen says:

I’m not sure what to think of last night’s coverage by the CBC.
    A couple days ago I posted about my dislike for Don Cherry.
    I grew up as a kid, idolizing Cherry but have found that in recent years, mainly cuz his Leafs suck, that’s he’s become extra bitter towards Montreal and the Habs.
    However, last night Cherry and Glen Healy cut the crap and did a fantastic job of analyzing the game a giving their opinion. And what else can you say about Bob Cole other than the man is a legend! I thought it was great that CBC had two color commentators there to give the old guy a hand!
    It seemed that Don Cherry was all choked up at the end of the game after Gomez was interviewed and stated how high the players in the dressing room regard Don Cherry’s opinion.
    Good job by CBC last night and their opening montage was pretty cool as well.

• DearyLeary says:

I would rather not have either on the Canadiens broadcast. My take on the issue is that Don is on a short leash from the CBC as far as Canadiens players go.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Before yesterday I was disgusted by Cherry but I found he was fair and did a great job last night, except the suit!

Maybe he’s on a short leash with some of the Habs players but not Gomez, that’s for sure…

• shiram says:

I did not watch all of it, but didnt he make sure to question Pk’s name again… You’d think a sports analyst could remember the name of the number 1 defenceman on a team he is covering…
          And that suit really hurt… I guess he still had to pimp his Leafs.

• andrewm82 says:

he was kidding about pk

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’m sure he received a massive amount of complaints about saying Pacioretty’s and Subban’s name wrong and he was joking around last night…

• andrewm82 says:

I have been hating cbc broadcasts the last few years but you do make some good points about last night. It was an improvement over last years. The opening montage was excellent. However I find tsn is miles ahead in terms of presentation and analysis. I find cbc telecasts (for lack of a better way to express this) dumbed down for kids and families. What else can you say about bob cole? “time to retire.” Cherry too. Beat it. First tsn took the theme song and its only a matter of time before they take the stanley cup series as well. Time for a new generation of Canadian hockey broadcasting, I say.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I just have a soft spot for Bob Cole because he has a great heart and I grew up listening to him. It’s amazing that he still does what he does.

I respect my elders and don’t mind Cole making mistakes in his twilight years…

• Chuck says:

At one point last night, Cole mixed up Subban and Gill. Just sayin’.

• Bigdawg says:

Too little too late for me I’m afraid. I signed up with RDS this week for $7/month (I live in TO) just to watch the playoffs by announcers that enjoy announcing for the HABS – It was awesome and really upped the enjoyment factor by 10. I wouldn’t have swiched if the CBC was at least neutral to the HABS when playing a US based team but I just got sick of them always rooting against the habs, always mentioning the word “shutout” when Carey gets close, blaming the stanchion and thinking Chara was beyond reproach (TSN) just lowered my enjoyment factor by too much – off the plank with you all!!

After my first game in French – it was awesome!

I’ll still watch the leafs on CBC cause I like them too (I know, I know they suck…for now).

Winner/Gagnant!

• Timo says:

I don’t watch CBC anymore. The beauty of living in Canada is that you can get RDS from any major cable provider… hence, CBC and all its “experts” can go to where the sun don’t shine.

72. shiram says:

Just got done talking to a Leafs fan who confessed that each year, when the Leafs get eliminated and don’t go to the playoffs, he becomes a secrets Habs fan, he also said Habs had more chance to bring the cup back to Canada then Vanvoucer, and that the Leafs are not going anywhere fast, and people believing they we’re improving we’re just jumping on the bandwagon.
    What a fun conversation that was!

73. dhenry1234 says:

Won’t work. Nice try Bruins.

Who is Floppy??

75. shiram says:

Tim Thomas, due to his style of goaltending.

76. tigress says:

“We dominated the game…we just didn’t score.” Uhhhh….did they change the definition of a dominant team?

Excellent post!!!!!!

78. Fred D says:

Loved the sentiment.
    I also liked that “turn your back” comment and remembered PK turning his to Lucic at one point last night.
    I think we have regained the upper hand here.Short of outright “thuggery” (which could happen out of desperation), I feel rather better about the whole thing than I did before the first game.
    I am still comfortable with my “Habs in 6″ from the other day.

Price is getting very fun to watch. I have “chilled out”, mentally.