Budaj will start in goal for Habs against Bruins

One of the best rivalries in sports will be renewed Thursday night when the Canadiens visit the Bruins in Boston (7 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

At Thursday’s morning skate in Boston, the Canadiens announced that Peter Budaj will start in goal against the Bruins, giving Carey Price a rest. Budaj has made 13 appearances this season, posting a 5-4-2 record with a 2.06 goals-against average and .921 save percentage. Budaj has a career 3-0 record at Boston’s TD Garden with a 1.67 GAA.

Price has played in 43 games this season, posting a 23-16-7 record with a 2.44 GAA and .921 save percentage.

“It’s part of the plan that we’ve created with (goalie coach) Stephane Waite,” coach Michel Therrien told reporters in Boston after the morning skate. “We are coming up toward a stretch of four games in six days and it’s very important for us to manage Carey’s energy level so that he can be at his best when he plays.”

Therrien added that apart from the change in net, he will be using the same lineup that beat the Carolina Hurricanes 3-0 on Tuesday night at the Bell Centre.

This will be the second of four meetings between the Canadiens and Bruins this season. The Habs won the first game 2-1 at the Bell Centre on Dec. 5. The Canadiens have won their last four games against Boston going back to last season, but the Bruins are 20-5-2 at home this season. However, since 2000, the Habs have a 21-13-4 regular-season record in Boston.

“We’ve had a natural rivalry with the Bruins over the years and over the decades,” Canadiens coach Michel Therrien told reporters in Brossard after practice Wednesday. “They are always games that are exciting to play, and there’s no doubt the way we played (Tuesday) helped our team’s confidence to play this game. The Bruins are playing well, so it will be a big challenge.

“We’ve got a physical presence,” Therrien added. “Douglas Murray makes his presence felt on defence and we have George Parros, too. We’ve got some guys with size and speed. Every time we face the Bruins, both teams are ready to play, and I know that my team is going to be ready to play.”

The Canadiens announced late Thursday afternoon that they have called up forward Christian Thomas from the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs. Thomas was to fly to Montreal Thursday night and be available for games this weekend.

After Thursday’s game, the Canadiens will play back-to-back weekend matinee games at the Bell Centre against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Saturday and the Winnipeg Jets on Sunday. Both games are 1 p.m. starts as part of Super Bowl weekend.

(Gazette file photo)

Habs vs. Bruins preview, NHL.com

Game Day Report, Canadiens.com

Morning skate interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Habs hope to ‘keep the ball rolling’ in Boston, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Habs try to halt Bruins’ win streak, TSN.ca

It’s rivalry night at Garden, Boston.com

Gallagher’s father has connection to Habs and Bruins, N.Y. Times

On the Road Blog: a visit to Fenway, Canadiens.com

Price struggles thanks to coaching schemes, Sportsnet.ca

Habs should look to Therrien’s replacements, Sportsnet.ca

NHL Power Rankings: Jets flying, Habs falling, Sportsnet.ca

Latest Bruins headlines, bostonbruins.com

Hamilton Bulldogs update, Canadiens.com

You gotta check out this Blue Jackets fan, Stu on Sports blog

1. Plekasuares says:

Nuna. He has risen it appears. No worries folks 4-3 Habs

2. SteverenO says:

reposedt from previous thread:

While there is no question that Bournival on the wing is a MUCH better option than playing Eller with Plekanec and Gionta, it is NOT the best option for the team. Here’s wgy:

Bournival/Plekanec/Gionta have played together for 140 minutes at even strength , spread over 11 games.
    (games 9-16, 20, 30, 31) they were on the ice, together, for 140 minutes at even strength and during that time the team scored 5 goals and gave up 6. The W-L record during those games was 5(W)-4(L)- 2 (OTL) .

Briere has also played together with Plekanec and Gionta for (parts) of 11 games. They played together for a total of 101 Minutes ( less minutes because Therrien often substituted Moen for Briere in the third periods). While this line (48/14/21) were on the ice the team scored 8 goals and allowed only 1.

The teams record during those games (games 22-29 & 43-45) was 8(W)- 1(L) -2 (OTL).

(With Moen on the wing the Plekanec,Gionta trio has played 81 minutes and been on for one goal while allowing two goals.)

Talk about changing lines for no reason at all.
    It is, or should be, obvious to anyone paying attention that Therrien is incapable of creating an effective line-up and sticking with it. If I were a players agent I would NOT recommend that any of my players sign a contract to play under this coach.

I also find it interesting that the duo of Pacioretty and Desharnias have only played with 3 different (right) wingers all season long whereas Plekanec / Gionta have had 8 different team mates line up beside them.

Playing with 51 and 67 have been Gallagher (276 minutes), Briere (56 minutes), and Bourque (33 minutes).

With Briere the line of 67/51/48 were on for no goals for and one goal against in 56 minutes, and with Bourque the line has accounted for one goal scored and zero goals allowed in 33 minutes.

Overall the line of 67/51/11 have been on the ice for 276 minutes with 13 goals being scored and 11 allowed during that span.

(all times mentioned here are at even strength only and the data is as of January 16th)

regards,

Steve O.

SteverenO’s blog can be found here:

3. Luke says:

C-ya folks!

Enjoy the show!

4. Mattyleg says:

I see a pile of orphaned posts at the bottom of the page.
    Someone have a blowup?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Bripro says:

I swear I was just thinking the exact same thing!!!
      Different wording, perhaps.
      Wow, that’s too weird.

Bwoar, would you mind editing your comment at the bottom to remove the “F” bomb?
      I don’t know who it was aimed at, but I don’t think it’s necessary. Do you?

• Mattyleg says:

(I have a sneaking suspicion of who it was aimed at)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• bwoar says:

My answer just got eaten by the gremlins. I apologize if you were offended Bri & I edited my post.

I do think its necessary from time to time to bit a bit sharp with some people. Up to and included certain language less welcome.

• Lafleurguy says:

Yah, the other post got a game misconduct, but B-w didn’t even draw two minutes, hence I thought Tim Peel was moderating.

“Bends but won’t break”

5. johnnylarue says:

Playing the backup against a formidable opponent might be the best way of ensuring the team plays a tight, structured game. A glaring lack of focus has really been their biggest weakness over the past several weeks.

And it stands to reason that you have to try a bit harder when you can no longer rely on “Pricey will stop it” as your guiding principle. Well, either that or just give up, which is an equally likely scenario I suppose!

• Mattyleg says:

I totally said that below.
      I feel that my artistic license has been impinged upon.

You shall be hearing from my representatives: A flash-mob of hipsters doing a poorly-choreographed dance to ‘Who’s Johnny’ by El DeBarge, designed to shame you into paying me a token sum that will make you look heartless and me a true hero.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habfan10912 says:

Sorry once again for disagreeing, Matty. The only way your #1 goalie doesn’t start against your teams biggest rival (take that Leafs) is if he’s under the weather.

I dislike MT and would love to join the “he’s an idiot” gang over this live but my since tells me something more is at play here then the backups record against the opponent.

• Mattyleg says:

There’s a flash-mob of hipsters heading toward you now, Jim.

You’d better be able to provide them with plenty of PBR, or they’ll be p!ssed.

;)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

6. Bripro says:

For me, some of the comments on here are head-scratchers.
    MT is being run over, backed over and run over again, because he’s pointed out what others (HIO couch-GMs) have missed, or refused to acknowledge.
    He mentioned that the team now has some size and was ridiculed.
    Well, this chart points out that the team is exactly in the middle of the NHL pack in height.
    And if you look closely, you’ll notice that our team is heavier than others, including historically bigger teams, like the Flyers, Canucks, and basically close to teams like the Rangers (.1 pound difference), the Bruins (1pound), Chicago (1.3 pounds), Detroit (.3 pounds), etc.

Size isn’t really the issue anymore. We see it that way because the best hustler on our team is among the smallest in the league (Gallagher).

But I believe that MT is right in pointing out that opposing teams can’t intimidate the team with size as much anymore.

Yes, we have little snails (Bouillon, Diaz, Brière) but we also have strong forwards (Max, Prust, Moen) and some who (based on last game) have the ability to give more (Bourque).

This team is where most predicted they’d be when the season started. There was a more level-headed perspective, which has gone awry with emotions.

I’ll reserve judgement until after the Olympic break to see if the team really has a legitimate chance at a playoff birth. Based on November’s performance, I believe they do.

The question is … to the players?

• shiram says:

Height rank says 30, so last in the league.
      Weight rank says 22, so bottom half.
      Guess we got some stocky short guys.

• gauver says:

the averages don’t tell the whole tale. it is the distribution of height and weight as well as the assertiveness/aggressiveness of our players relative to other teams that matter. the Habs have more players under 5′ 10″ than the entire Western Conference combined! Pacioretty is a larger man who plays like a smaller man; he only skates through the low slot in the opposition’s end after the whistle on his way to the bench for a line change. we have some players with sand but too few. And, some of our more aggressive players are too small to be effective.

7. Cal says:

After months in hiatus (due to undisclosed reasons), nuna is back!!!
    Thanks for the laughs, nuna, you’re a natural!

• Mattyleg says:

His programmer was working out the glitches.
      RandomCommentBot is back and ready to nail some brewery execs to the wall!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Lafleurguy says:

nuna has willpower. He controls the universal impulse to spout off better than most. He despises Big Brother Corporations, especially the beer brokers, but I’ve never seen him post anything insulting other posters.

“Bends but won’t break”

• Mattyleg says:

I’ve never seen him post anything that has anything to do with other posters. It’s usually just isolated and random spouting a propos of nothing, which is why I call him Random Comment Bot.

His earlier posts seemed like badly cut-and-pasted amalgams of other people’s posts, which only rarely made sense.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

8. TMan1969 says:

This is what I hope for tonight…PK is a forward on 1 PP with Patches and Gallagher…Beaulieu and Markov on point…smells like a goal already!! GHG

“If I knew the answer to that I’d bet $10,000 on the game and retire from coaching.”
    —Montreal Canadiens coach Toe Blake after being asked if his team would win an upcoming game

9. Marcusman says:

Why couldn’t Rene do this more often……?

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Bourque was our best forward that series.

Of course, that sentence could serve as an answer to the question: “Why did the Habs-Sens series only last 5 games?”

10. Dunboyne Mike says:

Lafleurguy!
    In my state I didn’t register T.O. (the non-coat-and-hat place). Is that what we’re talking about?! Are you serious?

11. Body_of_Price_Repels_You says:

Budaj won his last two games against the Bruins via third period comebacks. The second one Price got pulled and the team rallied. Budaj has allowed 4 goals in 4 periods when playing against the Bruins in a Habs jersey. His stats are skewed.

Hopefully the Habs win this one.

PS. Parenteau scratched again and Christian Thomas never went with Hamilton on their West Coast trip. Bourque + Thomas for Parenteau.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Nice handle! I guess… (!)

But I am missing the logic between “Parenteau scratched again” and trade for Parenteau. If he keeps getting scratched, is there not writing on the wall to be read?

• TMan1969 says:

That sounds almost true, but Borque/Thomas for McGinn perhaps? That’s a size addition…maybe a draft pick??

My fearless prediction….4-3 Mtl win…Beaulieu scores a PPG, Pleks a SHG…PK, Eller 5on5. Buds faces 65 shots…okay, 35

• Body_of_Price_Repels_You says:

I’d like McGinn just to get a bit bigger. Maybe McGinn, Parenteau for Bourque, Diaz, Thomas. Even though Parenteau puts up better numbers I’m still a little concerned about getting smaller.

12. Chuck says:

Budaj starting tonight? If the Habs win, Therrien will look like a genius!

Wait a sec… does that mean that everyone who wants Therrien fired is then wishing for a Hab loss tonight?

Come on, boys. ‘Fess up!

(Or can Stu give us a new poll?)

• nunacanadien says:

Hey we had to watch Carbo juggle lines, if we need to suck to get a better coach for next year….crap this year is wasted already, what Galynchuk hurt and refs sniping Emelin for penalties, we are sh*t out of luck, we may even watch the laffs pass us by for once into the playoffs ala Carbo. Juggle those lines Therrien, none of the boys like you anymore, most of all Subban and Price and the writing was already on the wall when Therrien snubbed Price and Subban with their celebratory high 5. Any other coach would be happy that his team’s morale is high.

• theflukester says:

Therrien will never look like a genius unless you are drunk as a skunk. I think I hate Therrien even more than I hated Jacques Martin.

Play every game as if it is your last one. Guy Lafleur

13. billylove says:

Yeah I know, there just stats. Goons have 12 guys with +/- over 10. Habs best are 2 with 6.

14. Grimmly says:

Unless Price is hurt this is the dumbest decision by MT, not cause Buds is bad. but you dont start youre starter against a top team and also they play back to back on the weekend, when Buds should have got a start then

• jimmy shaker says:

Boston- good team
      tampa – good team
      the peg – on a hot streak since maurice coming on board

and just to lay it out there this team struggles against every team. Doesn’t matter where they are in the standings, the habs usually struggle and play close close games, unless they are getting shelled.

Shaker out!

• habs-fan-84 says:

Boston is head and shoulders above Tampa and Winnipeg.

For the record, I’ve been a supporter of MT (despite my initial reaction to his hiring), but this is just a dumb decision (regardless of Budaj’s historical record against the Bs) and can’t be spun any other way.

15. Cape Breton says:

Playing Budaj tonite vs. Bruins is a dumb ass move. MT should know better for cryin’ out loud!!

16. AH says:

Boods in goal, wow! Not sure what to make of it, but let’s hope it works, MT will be a genius if they win or this place will melt down on him if Boods stinks, LOL!

17. Cal says:

Ladies and gents, The MT Head Song.
    Remember, he had it coming!

18. Da Hema says:

Based on the best available facts surrounding each team’s comparative health, taking into consideration probabilities and recent trends, and aware that prognostications can be a fool’s game, I predict that whichever team outscores the other will win tonight’s match.

19. billylove says:

Budaj is in because of his prior success against the goons but primarily because MT does not want to put Price into what could be a confidence shattering bombardment. Just protecting the #1 man.

• adadi says:

Too late for that.

• Mustang says:

Price played a very strong game on Tuesday but he didn’t look himself in his last several games before that. He would make some great stops but he would also get caught out of position resulting in goals being scored. The defence, or lack thereof, was not helping the situation much of the time.

• Grimmly says:

You watched different games then me, your hinting at the fact you think Price was the cause for most of the goals he let in

• Mustang says:

That is not what I said. I think that one of the strongest parts of Price’s game is his ability to be in the right place and square to the shooter. It seemed like he would be uncharacteristicly out of position and not able to get back. In most cases this was due to the defence not doing their job. All I’m saying is that he has not been as sharp as usual lately.

20. The_Truth says:

Budaj is a good goalie who can give his team a chance to win on most nights. It doesn’t matter if Price or Budaj in in goal, if the Habs play badly, they will be blown out as they have been many times recently.

After seeing some recent games, I have been worried Price is getting tired, so it’s not a bad thing to rest him for the two weekend games. The Habs are not going to catch the Bruins anyway and I would argue the TB game is more important to win and should have your #1 goaltender playing.

On the road this season Price has struggled posting 2.93 GAA and .903 save %, where Budaj has a 1.96 GAA and a .926 save %

Oh and Career in Boston Price (14 games) 3.11 GAA and .905 save %. Budaj (only 3 games) 1.67 GAA and .943 save %

Judging by the numbers, seems like a wise decision by MT and his staff.

• jimmy shaker says:

Every game we can argue the importance of Price the number 1 tender having to be in the crease to give the team the best chance to win……That being said he cannot play 82 games or 75 games or even 70 games. In order for the habs and price to be successful he needs, 60 – 65 starts and the rest go to budaj. I don’t see this as being a huge deal like many are on here. I’m looking forward to budaj doing a number on the cubs and think price will be served well with the rest and be ready for the weekend!

shaker out!

21. Dunboyne Mike says:

Aw man! Just saw that I missed the Pope discussion earlier.
    On the day we play the Bruins! We truly are something else!

(symbolically pats all HIO community on the back).

22. Lafleurguy says:

Carey is too nice to lay a beat-down on Tuukka, Peter on the other hand……

“Bends but won’t break”

23. JUST ME says:

No problem with Budaj being in the net it`s the rest of the players that needs to proove themselves whoever is in goals. They need to spill their guts and give everything they have.

24. Lafleurguy says:

I think Tim Peel is one of the moderators, cause one comment got a game misconduct and the other not even a 2 minute minor.

“Bends but won’t break”

25. Mustang says:

Nice to hear the following from Therrien >>> “We’ve got some guys with size and speed.” <<< I thought that one of the problems with the Habs is that the team was too small, I must have been dreaming.

26. Dunboyne Mike says:

JJ!

Do you hear that!

I am SO staying up for this one.

(Are you GMT -doh!- plus 2?)

Sorry to hear you were under the knife. Glad it was minor and hope recovery is going well (but not too quickly! as in, not before the Super Bowl).

DM

• J.J. of Turku says:

Copy that! Planning to get a decent jet lag! It’s 7 hours earlier here than MTL-time. So it’s that GMT+2.

A little nervous already!

Go HABS, GO!

Twitter: @jjturku

• NoTinFoilCups says:

The two weekend matinees will be perfect for you. Do you use a live stream or is there a TV network that carries the games over there?

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hi NTFC if you’re still there. JJ may be away temporarily flushing his nose channels!

If memory serves, he may be a subscriber to Gamecenter.

I am a fan of

Are you over this side, too?

• NoTinFoilCups says:

Thanks DM I’ll try that link, usually I go to ATD.net but don’t always have a fast enough connection for a stream to work.
            Actually no, I’m in the eastern time zone but just 4 degrees north of the equator in Bogota right now.

• J.J. of Turku says:

Thanks for the condolences, but it was really a minor surgery. They opened my “air-plumbings” from my nose.
      The good thing is that now I have time… I have to flush my “nose-channels” with some liquid every 4 hours and cough all the blood from pipelines. Hurts like hell, but it’s getting better quite fast.

I managed even to go to a hockey game yesterday. :D

Edit: Doctor ordered me to stay home for two weeks. This is my 4th day…

Twitter: @jjturku

• Dunboyne Mike says:

You are obviously that guy from the MP& The Holy Grail who says “It’s only a flesh wound”!

• J.J. of Turku says:

Hahaa! Laughing hurts! I do feel more like one of the “Ministry of silly walks”-guys, because I’m not allowed to bend over for two weeks. :D

Twitter: @jjturku

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey, it’s Boston tonight. So if laughing hurts, you better pile on the pain-killers because you’re going to be SCREAMING at the TV!

Leave your window open and you might just hear me across the North Sea!

RAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWGOHABSGOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

27. Say Ash says:

Rask 2-9-2 with a 2.77 GAA in 14 lifetime appearances against the Habs.

Bring it!

28. Sportfan says:

Fun fact for old Simpsons fans Homer owns the Broncos

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

29. RAM_TOUGH says:

Fracking Habs play like crap making Carey’s stats look beer leagueish!

Guts-Glory-Ram

30. Plekasuares says:

What. We don’t trust Budaj. I think he’s a great goalie 4-3 Habs lads.

31. kalevine says:

I have no issue at all with Budaj starting. I’m much more worried about the fact that the Boo-ins have scored 6 goals in each of their last 3 games. Habs usually bring their A game against the Bruins, and will need to do so to have any chance for a close game tonight. If they don’t, it won’t matter which goalie is in net. When is the last time they brought their A game to a match?

• Kooch7800 says:

It is also a true test for Budaj and maybe there is a team that wants to take a look. Signed cheap and is a really solid back up who is signed past this year.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• nunacanadien says:

Too bad we can’t trade the coach instead. Therrien and a bag of pucks for any one hour parking. Anything to get rid of Therrien. Therrien and half his salary to anyteam that will take him….anything to win. heck we overpay Gionta for what? A Gomez type performance? how come when Gomez sucked like Gionta is now, we keep our mouths shut over Gionta? It’s sad when the captain gets knocked down by a smaller ref than he like many games we’ve watched where Gionta gets knocked around. What team allows their captain to be pushed around like that?

32. RAM_TOUGH says:

- Lundqvist’s statistical-dip looks to have been a merely a slump, but the same can not be said for Price.

– Price played a fantastic game against the Stanley Cup champion Blackhawks. His statistical nosedive began against the Devils.

Carey Price has nothing to be ashamed of but his team does.

Guts-Glory-Ram

33. habsguru says:

if SW says Price needs a night off, then he needs a night off. fatigue, fragile confidence, sore toe…. who cares. they pay him for his advice, and would be stupid to not take it.

• Mattyleg says:

Hold on… I thought this was All Therrien’s Fault.

Gonna be some very disappointed Haters on this site if what you say is true.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• adadi says:

This is absolutely MT’s fault. It has his fingerprints all over it. Having said that is there any chance Price has an injury we are not aware of? That is the only excuse for this bonehead move.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Adadi! I composed a beautiful counterargument, clicked, vanished. So here’s the Reader’s Digest version.

I’m sure your pov is entirely valid, hard to dispute. But I love the call anyway. It’s a curve ball, great for Budaj to play against a contender and not just the Oilers/Panthers, great for his confidence and sense of self-worth (Yes, even professionals must look after that!), not spend too much time in the fridge, he’s good against Boston (3-0 in the gaahden), has that martial arts background I hadn’t previously heard of (could come in handy….), and, if he plays well, win or lose his confidence and morale get a boost.

MT’s motives may well be different. However, the upshot is an opportunity for Budaj.

I am SO staying up for this one!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

(Baby! Love when I deal a slam-dunk!)

• adadi says:

I like it Mikey. Sounds like a jazzy answer. As good as any and probably better than most to like the call. However from a coaching POV it is still a bonehead move. All I want for this coach is to stop playing favourites and starting making the most obvious decisions. He has done this precious little since the beginning of the season.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

As someone posted above, MT’s a goat if we lose, a genius if we win. Talk to you after!

And here’s a hat and some mustard and cutlery. Final buzzer, one of us snacks! Ok?

• Mattyleg says:

Sorry to elbow my way in here, but I don’t get how playing Budaj is ‘playing favourites’. That argument has some legs with reference to DD, but Budaj…?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

34. Dunboyne Mike says:

Hi All, Can’t read the entire thread, but I presume there’s a mixed response to Budaj starting.

Adadi sums up one view very well, and it’s hard to disagree.

I have to say, however, that I love the call. It’s a curve ball, PB is 3-0 at the Gaahden, and he will want to run with this. Win or lose, it will be great for his confidence if he has a good game. You can’t — I should say “shouldn’t”, because Montreal has done it — keep your goalie in the fridge for weeks and weeks. To be effective, they have to play. For their morale, for feeling part of the team, for being collegial with the starter, and for being able to fulfil their special function, they have to play. Getting the call against someone other than the Oilers or Panthers, against no less than an obvious playoff contender, makes it all the better.

Perhaps MT’s motives are different, and perhaps he wants to shield Price from a shelling. We can “perhaps” all we want (which is what we do here). But whatever the subtext, I’m excited that Budaj’s in. (Plus, I hadn’t realised about his martial arts background….Hmmmmm).

So, beg to differ, adadi et al. And I have a nice hat here and some Guinness-tinged mustard ready to go if necessary.

35. Say Ash says:

Undefeated in February!

36. Castor says:

It’s not the slump. People are saying if they win tonight January will be 6-6-1.

but if they have watched the past TWO MONTHS they will agree how terrible the entire team has been.

• CJ says:

The team was 8-5-1 in December.

• adadi says:

People who point to the record are people who have their head in the sand. With the exception of a half dozen games, this team has been absolutely putrid. Their record has more to do with Price standing on his head, than with any move this coach or this GM have made. In fact this team has regresses substantially this year in terms of their play.

For those who have not figured it out yet, this team is not even close to making the playoffs this year. I suspect they will be closer to the bottom than they will be to the final playoff spot.

• bwoar says:

I agree that the skaters have been poor a lot of the time, but, Price is part of the team too. The inverse could be true – we could’ve had great performances from the skaters and terrible goaltending, and still be 14-11-1 in the last 2 months. In that case, would the team be playing terribly, or just shoddy golatending? If the record is what it is, does it really matter?

• adadi says:

It absolutely matters if they cannot make the playoffs let alone win a playoff series. Also, in case you missed it Price is starting to not give a shiat as well. What do you think that will mean going forward?

• CJ says:

Looked the exact opposite against Carolina. What are you basing this on?

• adadi says:

Keep your head in the San CJ.

• bwoar says:

I’m not sure where you got the impression that Price is losing it.

For the record, I don’t think the team can win a playoff series and will need a bit of luck to make the playoffs. Whether Price is in nets, or not. So, I don’t think we’re really in disagreement, expect for the part about it being a big deal who’s in net tonight.

That said I’m pretty sure we could call up a goalie from the A and still win tonight. For some reason I got a good feeling.

• CJ says:

Sorry, not trying to be confrontational. I respect your opinion. I’m sincerely asking what it is you’re basing this opinion on? Body language? Do you know Price? Nothing I’ve seen suggests he no longer cares. I’m sure he’s frustrated, but that’s quite a leap.

• habsguru says:

Price IS supposed to stand on his head.

• mrhabby says:

Last time I looked hockey is a team game..you ever play the game ?

• CJ says:

In professional sports, your record is the only thing that matters. If we were 15-30-7, but were competitive every game and lost by no more then one goal we wouldn’t be further ahead. Teams are judged on their record. I invite you to take a minute and reread my original post. I stated that I didn’t think this team, in its current configuration, could win a playoff series. That said, we are not terrible. We have played terribly the last two weeks. We have also lost games this season I thought we deserved to win and probably won some we deserved to lose.

• adadi says:

We won a lot more that we deserved to lose than vice versa.

• CJ says:

As the sample size grows, we will have a better idea of the team we have. Not sure that you read my previous comments seeing as how I said I don’t believe we could win a single round in the playoffs. I don’t think this team is very good. I don’t agree with all the decisions that have been made. I also support trading our pending UFA’s for prospects and picks. I support getting bigger.

All that said, I disagree with the comment suggesting we are terrible. Teams that are 28-20-5 are not terrible. They can go through a terrible stretch, they can even get lucky, but at some point you have to acknowledge that the team is at least average.

If this means I have my head in the sand I’m officially lost.

• RAM_TOUGH says:

Entire team? You can leave Price out of that one!

Guts-Glory-Ram

37. HankHardball says:

Mr. Negativity, Tony Marinobrainer, says the B’s will “expose” the Habs tonite. And starting Budaj is just Therrien giving himself an excuse for the loss.

You’d think they’d love Tony in Beantown. But they don’t.

BTW, Tony, too much negativity leads to depression.

38. adadi says:

Another brilliant coaching move by MT. Why can’t this guy just stick to the common sense moves. By starting Budaj he just told his team he does not think they are good enough to win this game. This is a top team in the conference, it is not the Panthers. Just Ffffin brilliant. Seriously, MB should force him to take an IQ test.

39. CJ says:

I think everyone would agree that this has been a terrible month. That said, a win tonight and we finish January 6-6-1. Not great, but it could be much worse.

I agree with many others regarding questionable coaching decisions including personnel moves, ice time, defensive pairings, wrong sides, etc. I’m an educated man, but I haven’t an educated opinion as to why Bournival was not put with Gionta and Pleks sooner, or why Eller is anywhere but at centre. I’m not a Therien fan, nor do I think this team is capable, in its current configuration, of winning a playoff series unless we face an injury riddled opponent.

All that said, a win tonight and a record of 6-6-1 this month… Well, I’d take that and run!

40. dukeboy34 says:

Marc Bergevin Alert!

No more players from now on under 200 pounds!

If possible trade Rene Bourque for a third round pick you can always get a guy his size that likes the rough stuff,he only has a few points anyways!

41. commandant says:

Starting Budaj tonight? Therrien is trying to get fired.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

42. CH Marshall says:

Ha! Even Sportsnet is using Corsi to support the FIRE THERRIRN cause. Andrew Berkshire must be loving it

43. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I wonder if this means MT is planning on using Price in the back-to-back this weekend

• bwoar says:

He is.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Bwoar, you are SO old school!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

(I did NOT do that! I composed a beautiful pro-Budaj piece that has no appeared. Something fishy….)

• bwoar says:

This site’s been picky lately. Though the mods are good about not banning me for telling people off quite sharply.

I still think goalscoring will be the key tonight. Those goals, I tell ya. So important to winning. Ask Ol’ Budaj hisself, he’ll tell ya. He LOVES the goals.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

It’s about time he and Price started contributing on that front. Heck, Budaj could even move into the no 1 spot if he moved noticeably ahead in ppg. But of course, you couldn’t trust stupid MT to think of that.

44. jimmy shaker says:

Remember everyone……Price can’t play every game. Boods is more than capable, has a great record vs the cubs and needs the work. That’s the bottom line!

Shaker out!

45. Mavid says:

Go Habs Go..very excited for tonight..hope the boys don’t disappoint granny…

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

46. CH Marshall says:

Therrien sounds scared to me

47. bwoar says:

Pretty sure that goalscoring will be the difference tonight, not goaltending. Har.

“thoroughbred”

Okay, my client just made the game much better for me tonight, however, Frontenac won’t be impressed. Got the email from him that he is already started, wondering when i’m getting to the pub for the pre-game! Perhaps he won’t notice when we never actually go into the ACC and are sitting in a Downtown T.O. pub watching the Habs vs. Bruins game.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Please PLEASE give us a laugh and keep posting from under the table in the pub!

• Lafleurguy says:

If the place is half-way decent, but doesn’t need a coat and tie, we’ll meet Burly there in a fortnight.

“Bends but won’t break”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

That would be great! Would love that. But as I hope you saw I posted yesterday, odds are pretty narrow….

(But the coat-and-tie aversion: are you guys skinhead bikers or something?)

• Lafleurguy says:

You’re going to laugh big-time when you see the colour of my skin. Skinhead, indeed! No pressure, Dun, a bistro lunch, tapas, sushi, one round of Unibroue ales, whatever time allows. I’m countin’ on Burly being “in.”

“Bends but won’t break”

49. Habs1962 says:

Budaj … 3 and 0 at Boston !! that is what this is about. Price in for one, maybe two? on the weekend !!

• CJ says:

From what I’ve read Price will play both games this weekend. This is a huge chance for Budaj to grow his profile.

Sometimes you have to throw a wrench into conventional wisdom.

As previously noted Waite was consulted on the decision, so I have to give him the benefit. He knows his tenders better then anyone else.

50. knob says:

Hopefully karma is on our side…seems like when Habs play a crucial game (where the other teams back-up plays) they get stone-walled and lose to the said back-up.

51. Thomas Le Fan says:

Budaj is 3-0 in Boston? Good enough reason to give him the start, no? Go Habs!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

52. WindsorHab-10 says:

Patiently waiting for the axe to fall on this pathetic coaching staff.

53. Luke says:

I know Scrivens got the win last night. But has he ever stolen a game? I mean, REALLY stolen one?

54. habsfan0 says:

I wonder if Budaj starting tonight means CP will start both ends of this weekend’s double header.

Pretty sad how life has turned out for Gino Odjick, he opens up in this article about his current mental condition. Disconcerting how he discusses how disoriented he was his final two years in the league, which were with the Habs by the way.

• habby46 says:

When Gino played for Horselake Thunder in Alberta (along with Theo Fluery) about 8 – 10 years ago. I met him once, my brother and friend who live on the reserve partied with Gino on a few occasions, he seemed like a great guy!

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m not sure how it’s sad HiB. We’ve been reassured completely by Gary Bettman that it’s not the fights that cause concussions and the resultant CTE, it’s the big hits, and the NHL has a really good handle on that.

Why, just last night, the ‘Hawks played the Canucks and they showed a graphic of how few goals Daniel Sedin had scored since being concussed by Duncan Keith’s flying elbow a couple years back (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ75H7gS0hc). But Mr. Keith paid his debt, served his five-game suspension, and now everyone is healthy and happy and safe, and NHL fans have been able to go to games and plunk down their hard-earned money to see the game’s greatest stars. Except Sidney Crosby. And Brad Richards. And Kris Letang. And Claude Giroux. And Rick Nash. And Mike Cammalleri. And…

So yeah, Gino Odjick, mental illness, he’s a grown man, he knew what he was getting into, it’s not Don Cherry’s fault, rock’em sock’em, “Let’s go!”

• D Mex says:

Disconcerting indeed. A friend of my son’s who plays 2nd year midget AAA was recently listed by a major junior team.

His skating is so-so but he’s got size, and one of his coaches told me straight out that the junior scout who listed him had just one question : ” Will he fight ? ”

I view hockey much differently today than in the past, and this kind of attitude is just one reason why. We want to know if they’ll slug it out at centre when the time comes, but I have moments of realizing that, like Odjick and so many others, they’re all somebody’s son. Makes me wonder about the passion I’ve had for this game over the decades …

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Good post, terrible story, but hardly uncommon.

With an overhaul of culture in the NHL (however unlikely that is), hockey should still be redeemable. It could still be a fast, exciting and physical game but with 90% or more of those kinds of injuries removed.

Football? Which I played through high school and followed passionately since. I actually think its days are numbered. Insurance and litigation will catch up with it and emasculate it. No network will ever pay multi-billions to carry tag football.

Thanks for the story.

56. krob1000 says:

Was it last game that PRice took a pretty good shot above the knee or in the groin?I recall some shot over the last little bit he took one of those shots when he went down and looked pretty hurt but hen kept going…anyone recall if that was last game?

57. MikeHabs says:

Desperation move by Therrien to have Budaj play tonight and indicate that Price will have both games this weekend. Personally would have went Price tonight and Saturday and let Budaj take on Winnipeg on Sunday. Hopefully the boys give Peter a solid effort or we may in fact see Carey tonight as well.

Latest Habs prospect update: http://www.allaboutthehabs.ca/prospect-update-jan-20-26/

• habs-fan-84 says:

Completely agree.
      On paper, tonight’s game should be the toughest to win (out of the next three – Bruins, Lightning, Jets). Therefore, shouldn’t you be going with your #1 goalie to give you the best chance of winning?

To answer my own question: Yes.

Give Budaj the game against the Jets (which in theory should be the easier of the three to win).

• Luke says:

Don’t worry about Budaj starting. Price’ll play the 2nd and 3rd.

• bwoar says:

It’s not desperation. He and Waite consulted and they decided Price needed a rest:

« Plusieurs facteurs sont derrière cette décision. On élabore toujours un plan avec nos gardiens de but. Dans le cas de Carey il a joué beaucoup de hockey dernièrement et c’est important de bien doser son énergie, autant du côté physique que mental », explique l’entraîneur-chef du Tricolore, qui n’avait pas octroyé de départ à Budaj depuis le 8 janvier à Philadelphie. « Avec quatre matchs en six soirs et après avoir discuté avec Stéphane Waite [l’entraîneur des gardiens] en début de semaine, nous sommes venus à la conclusion que Peter amorcerait le match à Boston. »

58. habstrinifan says:

I love this POPE! I might even start being a good Catholic again cause of my POPE FRANCIS mancrush.

Check this out.

You don’t have to read the article. Basically a MAFIA killing.

But I like how Pope Francis didnt pretend that Mafia killings aren’t a common thing. He hit the nail on the head with this remark.

“The killing even caught the attention of Pope Francis, who called Coco’s death “unprecedented.” He asked worshippers at his Sunday address to say a prayer for Coco and called on the boy’s killers to repent for their crimes.”

The news is not Mafia killed someone. The news is killing kids etc is “unprecedented”. Right on Father… you’re a straight talker.

• bwoar says:

Until they turn out all the child molesters in the Vatican to proper authorities and present their confessions, I’m calling BS window-dressing on this Pope. Sorry Trini, I agree he’s a breath of fresh air, but the room still stinks badly.

• habstrinifan says:

But he did go very very far in saying the Church should kinda pay less attention to judging GAYS etc.

Don’t recall any top Catholic being so brave.

• bwoar says:

Can’t fault his first steps, he seems like a decent guy. I’ll call him brave when he truly cleans his own house. I do think he’s getting back to the message of Jesus, which is really cool. Finally someone doing the job correctly. I’m not a believer, but the message of the prophets (JC, Moses, Muhammed, etc.) was all good for humanity.

• Max says:

He’s too Liberal for my tastes.Hardcore,practicing traditional old-school Catholic boy right here.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

I thought this was a hockey site. Look what you’ve started.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

Just was on Panthers Inside/Out, they are beside themselves that Clemmenson is starting against the Buds tonight.

Oops sorry, thought I was on pension plan puppets site…. trying to get ready for the big game tonight in T.O. since I will be attending… (sigh)

60. Bripro says:

I don’t understand.
    Yesterday, MT was quoted as confirming that Price would be in nets tonight.
    I guess he’s keeping everybody guessing.
    Budaj is an effective no. 1A no question, but after a shut out?
    Bizarre…..
    Some poster on the french twitterverse posted that Price is being packaged in a major trade deal.
    Yeah, OK that’s going to happen.
    And I also have some Arctic swamp land for sale.

61. zephyr says:

notice how mt singled out murray. he’s been playing well & has been a 1-man wrecking crew. the only habs dmen I like better are subban, markov & emelin. beaulieu is unproven at this point but if he’s the real deal, then markov is expendable. markov needs to stop his defensive lapses. he’s looked ugly a number of times lately.
    I wonder if parros is done.

• Forum Dog says:

Games against teams like Boston are exactly why they brought Murray in. He is physically capable of keeping (or at least dissuading) guys like Lucic, Thornton, etc. from crashing the crease. Not sure why he mentioned Parros though, since I think he is pretty much toast. He might be able to handle Thornton, but his record this year is pretty bad….

WRT Markov – Part of me wants to see him retire a Hab, but he also looks like he is starting to wear down from all the minutes. At this stage of his career I think he is a PP specialist and a 2nd pairing guy at 5-on-5. There are a number of teams that could use him (including LA) to boost their PP and play him further down the depth chart. I’d hate to see him traded, but from a business perspective he would probably get you the greatest return of all pending UFAs….

62. JUST ME says:

That`s a surprising move or a gutsy one depending on where you stand towards M.T. Then again i think that Budaj is due for a big game. Has been strugling lately if we compare to the last year but so is the whole team !!!

Of course we feel as if tonight is the last hockey game played on earth but those decisions are made in advance when studying a block of games so although it looks surprising to us, it`s not that far fetched for the coaches.

Very happy that we get to meet the Bruins tonight. We want thoses challenges and need them. Bring em on and may the best win ! Tomorrow is another day !

63. dukeboy34 says:

His confidence boys! Therrien is protecting him in case of a BLOW OUT! Bruins are hot right now and the Canadiens are a average team. From a die hard HABS fan

• habstrinifan says:

Disagree!

I dont like Therrien but I dont think even Therrien is this poor a coach to think like this. Budaj plays well against B’s. And in past has stepped in against B’s at times like this and kicked butt. .. if my memory serves me right.

So coach’s hunch… all good here.

• dukeboy34 says:

He knows their not their calibre right now,in a series with them it would be over fast! He’s needs Carey to maybe just squeak into the playoffs.Carey i need you take a night off i will not play you against this team right now when our defense is like swiss cheese!

64. shiram says:

I don’t mind giving tonight’s game to Budaj.
    He’s not played for a while, and has given the Habs great goaltending.
    Bruins are also more familiar with Price.
    And besides, the skaters will determine the outcome, not the goalie.
    (I hope)

65. habs-fan-84 says:

Like most here, I think Budaj is great. He’s been an excellent back up to Price and by all accounts is a great teammate. However, Price is just coming off a shut out and we’re playing our biggest rivals…what is going on here?

I’ve generally been pretty supportive of Therrien (despite my initial reaction of his hiring), but this is truly a head-scratcher.

• chemic says:

its a headscratcher, yes i get that, but with one eye at the standings, a win against the bolts which hardly will depend on another stellar peformance from price is a bit more important than a really nice win against our mainrival who is way out of our reach. Buds tonight, the team is aware of that and plays hopefully that way, Price back to back at the weekend, at least 4 out of 6 points, no?

• habs-fan-84 says:

It’s not so much about catching the Bruins in the standings, but more about icing the best possible team against our biggest rival. Why not play Budaj this weekend and give Price the start tonight?

• chemic says:

emotions aside, my thoughts are that a win against tampa is more important pointwise. lets make sure we ice the best team there because it mighty gonna be a tight one. tonight its a rivalry game which should pump the tires of everyone who dresses. Buds trys to rob a game tonight, on staurday we hopefully get the well rested wall named price and on sunday lets see which guy is in best shape. thats the way i see this decision for Budaj tonight

66. DipsyDoodler says:

A funny New Yorker cover about the Sochi Olympics:

It’s by Montreal’s own Barry Blitt, who also did the notorious Obama fist bump cover, and many others.

67. J.J. of Turku says:

I’m happy to be on a sick leave. Plenty of time get jet lag while sitting home and watch Habs. :D

Twitter: @jjturku

68. Chrisadiens says:

I’m trying really hard to understand why Buds is starting tonight. Price must be injured like Shane said. Don’t the Habs have back to back matinees this weekend too?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Mattyleg says:

Also could be that the team will play tighter defensively with Boods in there.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Chrisadiens says:

Lavoie just tweeted Price is fine.

I don’t know Matty, maybe. This one is a head scratcher.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

I would have thought Lavoie viewed Price in higher regard, I think he is a good to great as a goalie, I find fine a tad insulting.

• Chrisadiens says:

Maybe Lavoie was talking about Price’s good looks?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Therrien’s job is a bit safer (Carolina defeated, Boucher to Switzerland), so he can rest Price?

• CJ says:

Read that Waite was consulted and the decision was made at the beginning of the week. Price gets both weekend games. For what it’s worth…

• Chrisadiens says:

That seems backwards to me, but if it was Waite’s call he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Forum Dog says:

I think Therrien just has it twisted around. He played Price back-to-back against Detroit and Washington, then ran him out there again vs. Carolina. He has played a bit too much this last week, and with the Bruins rolling it’s probably a good time to give him a break. If Price hadn’t played against Washington on Saturday (that start was a headscratcher IMO), he’d probably be in nets tonight.

69. Mattyleg says:

Heh heh.
    Love that we’re starting our backup against the Bruins.
    Should piss them off.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

70. Well I guess Price has a minor injury that’s not reported.

That better be the reason…….sigh…… thank the stars I missing this game.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

71. twilighthours says:

7th.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, you left wing kooks.

72. habsguru says:

soooo close

73. krob1000 says:

Could Habs be showcasing Christian Thomas as an alternate for Andrighetto

• B says:

I don’t think so. The latest word is that he is staying in Hamilton (instead of heading out west with the Dogs) in case a call up is needed this week-end. He is not in Boston tonight.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Ozmodiar says:

In case a call up is needed, huh? Hmmmm….

I doubt they’d keep the kid home from a road trip to safeguard against an illness or injury.

A move like this makes more sense if MB is working on a trade. A player coming back in a trade might take a couple of days to arrive, which would leave the team short in the back-to-back this w/e.

74. CJ says:

Big game for Budaj tonight. Go Habs!

Game Day!

Go Habs Go

76. bwoar says:

Wine before liquor… never sicker. Skip the wine.
    That’s how it goes, right?

77. bwoar says:

Keepin it real yo

78. Luke says:

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.

79. bwoar says:

“Ya got that?!”

80. Danno says:

Less than one per cent of these types of rumours come true. But if it does happen I would suspect MB got into a bad batch of bath salts.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

81. habcertain says:

if there is any truth to the story, it may indicate that all in not going well with PK’s resigning. won’t that be nice for all the bridge contract lovers. also in the story, Roy’s mentions that there is no knock on PA, just doesn’t fit into a 4th line role, as MT insists on doing with Briere/Bournival. maybe he should take a lesson from Roy.

82. bwoar says:

Maybe the mayor of Toronto secretly runs the Habs?