Budaj will start in goal for Habs against Bruins

One of the best rivalries in sports will be renewed Thursday night when the Canadiens visit the Bruins in Boston (7 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

At Thursday’s morning skate in Boston, the Canadiens announced that Peter Budaj will start in goal against the Bruins, giving Carey Price a rest. Budaj has made 13 appearances this season, posting a 5-4-2 record with a 2.06 goals-against average and .921 save percentage. Budaj has a career 3-0 record at Boston’s TD Garden with a 1.67 GAA.

Price has played in 43 games this season, posting a 23-16-7 record with a 2.44 GAA and .921 save percentage.

“It’s part of the plan that we’ve created with (goalie coach) Stephane Waite,” coach Michel Therrien told reporters in Boston after the morning skate. “We are coming up toward a stretch of four games in six days and it’s very important for us to manage Carey’s energy level so that he can be at his best when he plays.”

Therrien added that apart from the change in net, he will be using the same lineup that beat the Carolina Hurricanes 3-0 on Tuesday night at the Bell Centre.

This will be the second of four meetings between the Canadiens and Bruins this season. The Habs won the first game 2-1 at the Bell Centre on Dec. 5. The Canadiens have won their last four games against Boston going back to last season, but the Bruins are 20-5-2 at home this season. However, since 2000, the Habs have a 21-13-4 regular-season record in Boston.

“We’ve had a natural rivalry with the Bruins over the years and over the decades,” Canadiens coach Michel Therrien told reporters in Brossard after practice Wednesday. “They are always games that are exciting to play, and there’s no doubt the way we played (Tuesday) helped our team’s confidence to play this game. The Bruins are playing well, so it will be a big challenge.

“We’ve got a physical presence,” Therrien added. “Douglas Murray makes his presence felt on defence and we have George Parros, too. We’ve got some guys with size and speed. Every time we face the Bruins, both teams are ready to play, and I know that my team is going to be ready to play.”

The Canadiens announced late Thursday afternoon that they have called up forward Christian Thomas from the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs. Thomas was to fly to Montreal Thursday night and be available for games this weekend.

After Thursday’s game, the Canadiens will play back-to-back weekend matinee games at the Bell Centre against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Saturday and the Winnipeg Jets on Sunday. Both games are 1 p.m. starts as part of Super Bowl weekend.

(Gazette file photo)

Habs vs. Bruins preview, NHL.com

Game Day Report, Canadiens.com

Morning skate interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Habs hope to ‘keep the ball rolling’ in Boston, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Habs try to halt Bruins’ win streak, TSN.ca

It’s rivalry night at Garden, Boston.com

Gallagher’s father has connection to Habs and Bruins, N.Y. Times

On the Road Blog: a visit to Fenway, Canadiens.com

Price struggles thanks to coaching schemes, Sportsnet.ca

Habs should look to Therrien’s replacements, Sportsnet.ca

NHL Power Rankings: Jets flying, Habs falling, Sportsnet.ca

Latest Bruins headlines, bostonbruins.com

Hamilton Bulldogs update, Canadiens.com

You gotta check out this Blue Jackets fan, Stu on Sports blog

1. scotland says:

only zone time bruins have had in habs end is when pleks line is on ice. when gionta in on its like playing shorthanded.

2. scotland says:

subban shot on powerplay……….rask sees it all the way. as bourque, gionta, pleks nowhere near the boston net. get these guys off pp. permanently

dynamite goal for patch!

3. Habitant in Surrey says:

…have any of You read Ken Dryden’s piece in the globe & mail on Rob Ford ?

…a struggle to the death between the know-it-all but do-nothing class and the roll-up their sleeves know-nothings

4. Bripro says:

I just realized.
    My grandson was going to bed with his Habs jammies on the fall.
    I haven’t seen them since.
    I’d better get them out.
    Here’s hoping my wife didn’t put them in the rag bag.

5. The Teacher says:

So I assume Carey starts both on the weekend?

6. bwoar says:

Can I just repeat – that blog was NOT Adam Dater, the regular beat guy for the AVs. Take it with a massive, massive grain of salt.

“thoroughbred”

7. GL says:

If they trade PK to Colorado There had better be some good scores coming our way or MB will have a short stay in Montreal!!!

8. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Thomas injured most of early season, but yes Kristo’s numbers look impressive for an AHL rookie

9. Danno says:

A Classic Battle Looms…

Next up. Those Guys.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

10. shiram says:

Trade rumors, from Denvers side.

They say Subban for Parenteau and picks/prospects.

11. Habitant in Surrey says:

…losing to the Bruins leaves only a temporary bruise

…losing to da Weeds is like strangling from drinking adder venom

12. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Tokarski is ripping up the AHL. Man, that was a helluva deal (potentially)

13. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I will be sitting behind the Bulldog’s bench in Abbotsford tomorrow night …what is this I hear Christian Thomas not making the road trip ?

…Quent and I were hoping to see Thomas, Andrighetto, Holland, Pateryn and Tinordi in particular up close

• ABHabsfan says:

I heard on the radio today that Thomas was “on call” so to speak for a call up to the Habs. So no west coast trip I s’pose

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

14. scamorza says:

wow lots of fun today it seems – surprised that B is starting but you can’t always count on your goalie to save your bacon. I am looking forward to tonight’s game… so on the risk of being flamed for stupid post or we have already covered that in the past, may I ask the group (to change topic) who do you hate more the B’s or the laffs . i know kinda like deciding between slow death by poison or bullet to the head. me I would go with the leafs for these reasons:
    Toronto -centre of the universe
    media emphasis ad naseum on leafs and trying to brand as Canada’ team
    they would be the last team I could stomach to win the cup

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Fun question, and hey, there were posts today about the Pope, some yesterday about poutine. So why not!

For me there’s an important distinction: as your list suggests, hatred of the Leafs is often rooted in factors which are in fact outside the team.

Hatred of the Bruins is of the players (ok, some of them, some KEY players) and management and culture.

So for me, no contest: Boston.

• bwoar says:

I have friends who like both teams so get plenty of exposure. I can’t stand Boston as a franchise.

The Leafs, meh. Dryden was right about the rivalry, it’s been dead for ages. I only hate them because of the way the T.O. media licks their, uh, mass.

“thoroughbred”

• scamorza says:

tough one right ..yes as pointed out i guess the factor for me is the Toronto centric media as an ex Montrealer it drives me nuts. And for sure Montreal coming back to beat Boston was that 71? was even sweeter than winning the cup against Chicago. On a somewhat related subject can we convince younger hab fans those who don’t even remember or were alive for 93 not to celebrate or trash st. Catherine’s until after a cup win ( and of course not condoning violence lets just say celebrate) i.e not after the 2 second round. There are hockey gods and no not the forum ghosts, who will turn on the premature ejacacelebration crowd – seen it so many times here in Toronto where the parade on Yonge street happens after a first round win
        come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• DipsyDoodler says:

I wouldn’t mind if the Leafs won the cup. There I said it.

I wouldn’t like it.

But I’d console myself with the fact that Bettman would be displeased to see the cup back in Canada.

The only consolation over the Bruins’ victory is the knowledge that the solar system will be destroyed in a fireball in a few million years, and all evidence of the Bruins’ Stanley cup will vanish with it.

• Habilis says:

I hate both teams with the gravity of 1000 dying suns.

But, if I have to give the edge to one, I’m with you, it’s the Leafs. For all the reasons you mentioned plus one: Their fans are just the absolute worst.

They win a few games and they’re Cup bound. Their goalie has a good week and he’s a Vezina contender. Kessel scores a few goals and he’s the MVP. They are totally and utterly ignorant of the rest of the NHL.

I know that every fan base is like that to some degree, but it just seems to me like the Leafers are worse than everyone else. Even their beat writers are mostly just glorified fanboys.

Hate em, and hate the fact that they’re ahead of us right now. We must rectify that.

15. Habitant in Surrey says:

…high time,I believe to paste Douglas ‘Crankshaft’ Murray’s mug up there with P.K.’s and Carey’s on the exterior wall of the Bell Centre …as He is truly the new face of the storied Montreal Canadiens

…GOOO CRANKSHAFT GOOO !!!

16. bwoar says:

I just posted this in French, but I’ll give it a go here:

With Thomas not joining the Habs, but not making the road trip out west with the ‘Dogs, doesn’t it seem like he’s part of a potential deal with an Eastern team?

Any other possible explanations?

“thoroughbred”

17. Habilis says:

I don’t get this decision at all. Price is sitting tonight and then presumably he’ll sit again for one of the weekend back to back games.

Smart. Because it’s not like we’re in a tight race for playoff positioning or anything. And it’s not like we’re playing a top team tonight while the team we chase plays the Panthers.

Yeah, I’m a huge fan of this move.

Tonight is gonna suck.

18. AH says:

Hey Dunboyne Mike, come on, you know who Therrien’s “preessshuss” is..DD, LOL!

19. jols101 says:

The game doesn’t start for 3 hours and we already have f-bombs being thrown around. Spirited crew here at HI/O.