Brodeur on goalie interference

From New Jersey Devils goalie Martin Brodeur, asked postgame last night about the two goaltender interference calls assessed to Canadiens captain Brian Gionta – who had no comment last night about them.

(To this observer, Brodeur sold the first-penalty contact big-time, but props to him for drawing the call.)

“Contact happens really quick. The first one, (Gionta) bumped me because that puck was fluttering … it’s in the net, he prevented me from moving to catch it (but) it was wide.

“The second one, you should see my collarbone. You’ll see why I don’t understand (any controversy). I didn’t even look to see who hit me, I got a shot and the referee raised his hand.

“It’s fun for goalies that we’re protected. Carey got one, out of his crease. When they (call) it fair, it’s OK. (laughing) But the guy who does it, he never thinks he’s done anything wrong.”

1. MrNax says:

MAB was by far the worst Hab on the team last year.   There’s a valid reason why no other team has picked him up yet: he’s terrible.  He may contribute offensively from time to time, however, he is so much of a defensive liability that he will never be worth picking up.  I’m pretty sure he was a (-12) in the playoffs last year when the next worst player on the team was around a (-5).  That’s flat out terrible.

2. Curtis O Habs says:

Glad to see I am not the only one.   I have become somewhat hockey bilingual over the last 5 years.  The American feed in english seems bland now.

3. J Haul says:

Brodeur is a P.O.S. Can’t stand his smug attitude. Just looooooves sticking it to his hometown and their fans.

4. Willy the bum says:

Well, Brodeur still got it in him, especially when he pulled a shutout.

And I heard the game is quite boring to watch. If you think the Devils played much duller than us, you’re wrong.  They were at least more careful, and look how that played out.  It’s not Jacques Lemaire’s coaching anymore; they just played that way.

5. secretdragonfly says:

6. habaddict_andy says:

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

7. soperman says:

There’s French and there’s French.  The play by play is pretty simple, but I lose the train when they are analyzing during the intermissions and after the game.

My wife hates the fact I listen in French.  I am not sure what the issue is, she is a Habs fan.

“You want to keep weening de Coupe? Then sign zee great Pew-sie!”

8. LA Loyalist says:

just for fun watch the highlight show one busy night, all the teams, even if we don’t care about the games.

It’s pretty informative about how most goals are scored

a) crashing the net

b) screens and chaos

c) lateral movement of defenders and especially goalies

blah blah blah you get the occasional end to end rush and deke that gets everyone’s attention, but in essence, it’s the creation of defensive breakdowns, which happen when you 1 move the puck quickly and 2 make other guys move their bodies

It’s worth looking at. Don’t we have coaches that do this? Can we hire Roger Nielson?

9. pic1983 says:

coaching my friend.  Either the coaches arent laying it out or the players ain’t buyin it.

10. Prax says:

All these stats are misleading lol.

– Mara is playing so much because they literally don’t have any other choice.

– D’Agostini’s goals were all in one game.

– Latendresse is fat.

11. pic1983 says:

1. Probably, and I applaud it.

2. dont even get me started on gomez….

3. Even the best have bad games every once in a while.

4.  Hes not too good against montreal, we just dont test him.  we have to change our strategy against new jersey, we keep playing right into their game plan.  I think the players also need to erase the fact that he plays well against us, and just treat him like hes any other goalie.  He generally has us beat on the mental side before the puck is every dropped.

5.  They arent coached to function on a powerplay without a big shot at the point.  They have to work on cycling the puck around, and maybe changing up the units.  Passing the puck down low more and looking for back door plays.  Also, our pointmen aren’t really doing a great job of distributing the puck, and generally look like their always making the bad play.  Powerplay is one of those places where I feel coaching makes a huge difference.

12. B says:

I also noticed that Paul Mara has averaged over 19 minutes per game and leads the Ducks with a +3.

13. B says:

Moore has 4 in 6.

14. samTHEman says:

And Dags has 3 in 5

15. Chuck says:

Along with Gionta, Price looked the most engaged of any player on the ice.

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

16. LA Loyalist says:

You’re right, quick passing creates motion.

Playing the point is about more than a hard shot, though the THREAT of a hard shot is important.

It’s about judgement and timing and placement of the shot or pass.

The critical thing we are NOT doing at all is creating lateral movement on the defence.

When the goalie and defenders have to move laterally it creates gaps and seams that can be exploited by speed.

So why are we not doing it?

Look. Price didn’t have a great game. The difference from this year to last is all in the body language. He didn’t have his deer in the headlights stare, even after the 3rd goal, he didn’t give his defensemen any “how could you leave me hang out to dry like that” dirty looks, he didn’t collapse and let everything that was missing the net bounce off of his glove go in for a goal, rather he played with poise and battled. 3-0. 10-0. 1-0. You’re team isn’t going to win if they don’t score.

This is a team game is it not?

18. Richard B says:

I also watch RDSHD and struggle with french. I’m hoping that if I watch enough I’ll learn the language better. I know what baton eleve is (even if I can’t spell it)

Plecks is by far the best player we have. If they want to get Gionta going I’d play cammy, plecks and Gionta on the first PP unit…just for a short time. Eventually the gomez gionta line has to produce or this team will go no where. I think putting cammy with Gionta and Gomez just makes both lines worse. If you want to try a shift with all the eggs in one basket the line has to be Cammy, Plecks and Gionta…

I think when we see that we’ll know we have absoultly no hope of line II actaully scoring a goal.

Aside: I hope by now management realizes that Pouliot and moen are not the solution for the GG line.

Richard B

19. RGM says:

1. No denying that he made some pretty nice saves to at least give the team a chance in the early going.

2. Gomez is one of the many playmakers that we have on the team. It doesn’t bother me if he doesn’t necessarily get a ton of shots on a nightly basis – what will be of concern to me is seeing his linemates not getting any shots.

3. Everybody’s due to have a less than stellar game every so often.

4. Just Marty being Marty. He is, after all, the winningest goalie of all time and you don’t get there by losing often for long stretches of time.

5. Not enough shots hitting the net – too many are getting blocked and/or going wide. They’re not creating the back door play that makes for an easy convert. There’s a real lack of finish on the part of the guys that are supposed to be our finishers.

20. otter649 says:

Rick Rypien suspended 6 games…….

21. SmartDog says:

I like your answer about our PP.  Too much blasting from guys who can’t hit the small targets.  Our passing game previous years seemed to be quicker, more inventive.  Now it’s like “watch us pass… here we go… passing…”.  Unless the other team falls asleep there’s no way they’ll miss most of these shots.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

22. Kooch7800 says:

Latts has 3 goals and 2 assists in 6 games.  DAMN

23. Kappy says:

I watched most of the game, in French which unfortunatly I don’t understand.  My wife thinks it is hilarious that I am watching something in a langauge I don’t understand.  She’s not a sports fan.

Anyways, our PP sucks BIG time.  We are all hoping that Andrei the Great can fix it upon his return, but I am not even sure if he can fix that mess.  If the PP continues to be terrible after a 3-4 games with Markov, do we sign MAB?  I think so.  PP is very important in today’s NHL and MAB had something like 15 goals last year. Well, I am talking PP… Why isn’t Pleks on the starting unit with AK and Cammy?  They are clearly are best offensive line.

24. Kooch7800 says:

double post

25. SeriousFan09 says:

1. Best-performing player on the team like Chuck said and Fan Vote seems to result in at least 1 Hab getting notation even in the loss.

2. Not answering a Gomez question to feed your obsessions.

3. Coincidence, even your team’s best guys can have bad nights.

4. Montreal lets him be too good, didn’t challenge him enough and they seem to be psychologically beaten by him 9 times out of 10 before the game starts, you hope that the Habs can squeeze some grease through and win on that but this was relaly par for the course.

5. New set-up isn’t working, they should revert to two defencemen working the points, last-man back doesn’t work with the personnel and it prevents Cammy from threatening the goaltender from his office in RH faceoff circle with the cluttered offensive setup and the team to effectively hold the puck in since our smaller players make it harder to rule sideboards and behind the net play.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

26. joeybarrie says:

I would have been happier to see him be a little more solid in the first goal, but he played a very good game. Not only was he the ONLY thing interesting going on, he made some GREAT KEY saves. In my mind he deserved the 3rd star.  Who would you have given it to?

He is supposed to pass the puck to the shooters can score. That’s why Gio had 8 SOG…

We didn’t play well.

Markov is not the only thing wrong with the PP, I think we are depending too much on the defensive slap shot to score goals. We need some passing in front of the net.  I find our cycling and PP options have declined in the last 2 seasons. I think we have become too reliant on Markov’s spot, and MAB’s shot.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

27. 123456 says:

price did have a couple great saves, im sure he wants the first one back as should the defense who watched the play. second goal was dumb luck but those are the bounces. third goal georges (i think it was him) screened price and moved so as not to get hit – bammo goal similar to hammer earlier in the year.

bounces are bounces and sometime you get them and other times not – although the habs had more shots NJ did have more chances to score.

1) agree 3rd star is too much for this game.

2) gomez too busy watching gio shoot 8 on net… too early to start a rant but yea expect more from gomez

3) first goal was their fault and georges screened price on teh third – second gaol they were stuck killin a penalty for too long – it happens – gill could barely move.

4) marty is good, even if NJ is jsut an average team are the habs really much better?

5) while many are saying just wait until markov comes back – these are NHL players – they all should be able to score on the PP. the positive here is the habs have won some games without the PP clicking – imagine how they will look with 1 or 2 PP goals a game.

28. Chuck says:

1. Save for the first goal, he was easily the team’s best-performing player

2. I wouldn’t mind seeing him put more opuck on net as the situation warrants, but I’d prefer to see Gionta shooting with Gomez feeding him the passes.

3. Everyone was soft on coverage on the first goal, allowing NJ to gain the zone far to easily. -1 on that play well deserved. The other two? A deflection and a screen… I’ll chalk those up to “crap happens”.

4. It ain’t Marty. He was good as a result of the sleep-inducing style of “hockey” that NJ played. I don’t think that Brodeur broke a sweat in any period.

5. Establish a presence in front of the net. Stop blasting away from the point when the goalie has a clear view (Subban, I’m looking at you).

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

29. Chuck says:

For reference, this is straight from the NHL rulebook:

69.3 Contact Inside the Goal Crease – If an attacking player
    initiates contact with a goalkeeper, incidental or otherwise, while the
    goalkeeper is in his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will
    be disallowed.

If a goalkeeper, in the act of establishing his position within his
    goal crease, initiates contact with an attacking player who is in the
    goal crease, and this results in an impairment of the goalkeeper’s
    ability to defend his goal, and a goal is scored, the goal will be

If, after any contact by a goalkeeper who is attempting to establish
    position in his goal crease, the attacking player does not immediately
    vacate his current position in the goal crease (i.e. give ground to the
    goalkeeper), and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed. In all
    such cases, whether or not a goal is scored, the attacking player will
    receive a minor penalty for goalkeeper interference.

If an attacking player establishes a significant position within the
    goal crease, so as to obstruct the goalkeeper’s vision and impair his
    ability to defend his goal, and a goal is scored, the goal will be

For this purpose, a player “establishes a significant position
    within the crease” when, in the Referee’s judgment, his body, or a
    substantial portion thereof, is within the goal crease for more than an
    instantaneous period of time.

Refer also to Reference Tables – Table 18 – Interference on the Goalkeeper Situations.

69.4 Contact Outside the Goal Crease – If an attacking player
    initiates any contact with a goalkeeper, other than incidental contact,
    while the goalkeeper is outside his goal crease, and a goal is scored,
    the goal will be disallowed.

A goalkeeper is not “fair game” just because he is outside the goal
    crease. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where
    an attacking player makes unnecessary contact with the goalkeeper.
    However, incidental contact will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in
    the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the
    attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such unnecessary

When a goalkeeper has played the puck outside of his crease and is
    then prevented from returning to his crease area due to the deliberate
    actions of an attacking player, such player may be penalized for
    goalkeeper interference. Similarly, the goalkeeper may be penalized, if
    by his actions outside of his crease he deliberately interferes with an
    attacking player who is attempting to play the puck or an opponent.

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

30. SmartDog says:

1. Price had a decent game and you can’t hang the loss on him.  But third star?  Really?  Are the fans just trying to pump him up?

2. Gomez had 0 shots on goal.  Isn’t he supposed to be playing in traffic a little more?  Or is that cool ‘because he’s a passer’?

3. Gill and Gorges were both -3. Is this the inevitable “I’ve been getting too much good press lately” reaction or just a coincidence?

4. A few of us posted last night that Marty was due and the Habs were just the solution for his slow start.  Gio with 8 SOG and two penalties did his part to try to shake Marty up.  What else CAN the Habs do really or is Marty just too good against Montreal?

5. The PP usually suffers when Markov is out but not to this degree. Last in th league?  1 in 20?  (And that one scored by Gorges.)  Wow. What are they doing wrong?

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

Trackbacks for this post