Brière, Emelin healthy scratches for Habs against Stars

Canadiens coach Michel Therrien confirmed after the morning skate in Dallas that Daniel Brière and Alexei Emelin will be healthy scratches for Thursday night’s game against the Stars (8:30 p.m., RDS, TSN Radio 690).

It will be the second straight game in which Brière is a healthy scratch, while Douglas Murray will take Emelin’s spot on the blue line. Murray was a healthy scratch for the last three games.

The Canadiens also announced that George Parros, who is recovering from a concussion, left the team Thursday morning to see a specialist at the University of Michigan.

“In Emelin’s case, both myself and Jean-Jacques (Daigneault) sat down with him and had a good discussion,” Therrien told reporters in Dallas. “He’s a guy that’s trying to find himself right now. It’s our responsibility to bring him back to a level that he’s capable of playing at like last season. Often, after a major injury and missing some serious time, returning to full status can be difficult for certain players.

“We’re going to work with him on his conditioning, his execution, his skating, and the way that he reads the play,” the coach added. “There are a lot of areas that need to be dealt with. But, we have a lot of confidence in Emelin. It’s part of our responsibilities as coaches to gradually work on both his game and his confidence level.”

Former Canadien Erik Cole has been on a roll with the Stars, scoring eight goals in 15 games in December, giving him 10 goals and 10 assists in 39 games this season, along with a minus-5.

“I think Erik has played well for a good period of time,” Stars coach Lindy Ruff told the team’s website. “These last few weeks he has really played well for us and has skated well. He’s a big man that’s hard to control and when he’s skating, he’s a powerful body out there for us.”

Thursday’s game marks the end of a six-game road trip for the Canadiens, who will play their first game of 2014 at the Bell Centre Saturday night against the Ottawa Senators (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Friday will be an off-day for the Canadiens.

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at Thursday’s morning skate:

Gionta – Plekanec – Bourque
Galchenyuk – Eller – Prust
Moen – White – Bournival
Pacioretty – Desharnais – Gallagher
Briere

Diaz – Murray
Gorges – Markov
Subban – Bouillon
Emelin

(Photo by Dave Sidaway/The Gazette)

Habs vs. Stars preview, NHL.com

Game Day report, Canadiens.com

Cole on a roll with Stars, starsnhl.com

Cole still has something left in tank, Dallas Morning News

Pacioretty makes Team USA for Sochi, by Pat Hickey

1. Harditya says:

2. Eddie says:

Boone is sporting new threads. Turn the page.

3. GL says:

Rumblings regarding a deal between the Habs and Buffalo if so who do you think could be moved and who would come our way. Maybe a loss tonight could do it.

4. rogieshan says:

Drew Stafford for Rene Bourque and a 3rd-rounder. (Pure speculation.)

• Timo says:

So basically nothing that will address Habs’ problems.

• rogieshan says:

Rearranging the furniture.

Hard to see the Sabres making a significant move without a GM. But if they want to rock the world, then how about Tyler Myers, Drew Stafford and Mikhail Grigorenko for Max Pacioretty, Rene Bourque and Nathan Beaulieu?

• Hobie Hansen says:

Stafford is one of the Sabres who I’d be OK with getting. He’s definitely fizzled off the last year or so but maybe it’s just the garbage team he plays on?

5. John Q Public says:

Soup is was good food.

6. HabFab says:

John Bartlett – Hearing some chatter that #Habs and Sabres could be looking at a move.

Paul Hendrick – Rumblings indicate that a possible sabre/habs deal could be gathering momentum.

So what do we get for Briere and Emelin??

• CJ says:

I’d really like to have Marcus Foligno and Brayden McNabb. You gotta give to get though…..The better the player, the more you need to give in return. Buffalo has done very well with their professional trades so they would be a difficult trading partner. Maybe Lafontaine puts his stamp on the team?

7. Ron says:

John Bartlett (TSN690) RT that Paul Hendrick (Leaf TV) tweets : Rumblings indicate that a Habs/Sabers deal is gathering momentum.

8. rogieshan says:

If Parros does retire sooner rather than later, the Habs could consider picking up Zenon Konopka to replace him. The Wild just placed him on waivers. Tough player and very good face-off specialist.

9. slyCH says:

There’s a good chance I might fall asleep in the 1st period of this game.

10. derfab says:

I still see pacioretty as a natural center. He is the strongest skater on the team. It would solidify the position for a long time and allow mb to move plex, dd, Diaz….for….a young sniper?

• CJ says:

Pacioretty is a natural winger. I like your idea, however the added responsibility of playing centre would impact his overall game. There is a great deal more in terms of responsibility at the centre ice position.

• John Q Public says:

Something totally different.
      I Like It!
      One problem though, we’d still be short on wingers.

11. Eric Danis says:

I think the worst thing that could happen is sitting a guy that you don’t use properly the first time in the case of Emilin and briere

12. CharlieHodgeFan says:

When the Habs signed Briere, I saw no risk whatsoever!

Well, okay, but I wanted to be the only guy who will say that here today, just for the fun of it.

• CJ says:

I believe a lot of the decisions that were made were based on the series vs Ottawa. Having the value of hindsight, we can all poke fun and second guess the decisions today. That said, I do understand the logic. Parros was identified as a physical enforcer, who would upgrade an area in which the team had been lacking. Briere was designated as the goal scorer after Vinny identified a term that the management team (and with which I agree) was too long to digest. Following the series against Ottawa I would not have wanted Michael Ryder on the team. Was Briere a mistake, sure maybe he was. That said, I don’t see how its beneficial to constantly call these decisions into question. I will be cheering for Montreal tonight, a novel idea when I browse through some of the comments below.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

“cheering for Montreal tonight, a novel idea when I browse through some of the comments below.”

I hear you, CJ.

But even the very worst whiners here end up cheering for the Habs once the puck drops!

We humans are not always easy to explain.

• Eddie says:

I think fans have every right to hold management and players accountable.

• John Q Public says:

Very much like democracy.
            Not that anything changes.

• CJ says:

Your point is valid Eddie. Tough to drop $500 on a game as a season ticket holder and not see a goal scored (Rangers). I have built vacations around this team for years (see my profile picture in Detroit). I live in the city of Ottawa and have to listen to the chatterboxes at the golf club I belong to rattle on about how the Senators destroyed Montreal last year. I want to win, badly! That said, I cheer for the Canadiens, not against them. I just think we need to be patient as the existing management team works to overhaul the lineup. There have been bumps on the road so far, but there have been some moves that have gone unnoticed or forgotten. The organization’s strength is drafting. I would love to see this strength augmented through the addition of a few more picks. It is easy to critique MB, however how do I know he hasn’t tried to trade off Gionta? I remain patient and hope for the best. If the results are not there at the end, then it becomes time to evaluate. Now is not that time.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey Eddie. Not questioning the right at all. Only saying that however much we complain and however maddened and frustrated we get, once we see the jersey in action, we shout for it.

• JUST ME says:

It seems to be the national sport on HIO and all other habs forum..It seemed o.k. to sign Briere,we wanted an established sniper, it was cool to offer a deal to D.D. right then and now and not wait till the end of the season. . We wanted size so it was o.k. to sign Murray and Parros but one after the other became mistakes as time went by… Ryder was the good old Ryder we used to know, a real sniper ,one way player, doing the dissapearing act could fill a hole but had to go…

The thing is that those same ones complaining constantly will be cheering like mad as soon as the team wins 2 games in a rowww.

Nothing new….

13. rogieshan says:

Is it possible that Emelin puts too much pressure on himself to be perfect when paired with his senior statesman Markov?

I will applaud Therrien for saying all the right things about helping Emelin finds his game, but it wouldn’t hurt to also throw some love over to Briere.

14. habsfan0 says:

I have a friend who’s a diehard Habs fan and who lives in Dallas,Texas.
    He’ll be attending tonight’s game with his girlfriend and promises to email me a few pics from American Airlines Center.

However, he’s not too optimistic about the Canadiens’ chances.

To basically paraphrase him: “At least the Habs will probably have a better time in Dallas than JFK.”

Probably?

Emilin has not been playing up to snuff. Sit the little bugger, and as far as Breire is concerned, he is only a back up for injury!

• IdleNoMore says:

Ian you could just be what the team needs! Not only would you bring MOAR SIZE but you could be the bee in MT’s ear and let him know everything he does wrong!

Only question is do you shoot left or right?

“He was chewing Juicy Fruit gum, I didn’t know whether to shake his hand or kiss him”

• JUST ME says:

We have seen that as Emelin goes so does the habs so i think a different view of the game will be beneficial for everyone and between you and me he does not have to worry about getting his job back…
      As for Briere someone on the radio said a very wise thing. He does not have a chair. Does not belong on any line ,doesn`t even have a team mate with whom it clicks… It`a more difficult case and even though his record shows that he is an ace in playoffs, those are very far away!

16. Sportfan says:

I feel bad for Parros he’s a good guy.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Habcouver says:

Me too. I do hope he makes the right decision to retire though.
      Life > Hockey

Waiting patiently for #25

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Completely agree, Habcouver and Sportfan.

And with his brains and qualifications, Parros at least has post-hockey options. But I guess it’s very hard to extract yourself from immersion.

All the very best of health and prosperity to George and his family in 2014.

17. rhino514 says:

Re: Cole and Ryder…you can´t just look at stats sometimes. Something was definitely up with Cole last year. He was doing zilcho, butkuss, nada. He seemed listless. Now he´s on pace for twenty goals if everything breaks well for him, it´s still a far cry from his first season with the habs.Ryder, we all know his story. Didn´t even show up to empty his locker and give even one good-bye interview.
    Sure, the Briere signing is stupid, but they can buy him out pretty much for free next season.
    In the case of Ryder and Cole it was more a case of addition by substraction; management just didn´t want these guys around, and I kind of understand why.
    If Bournie gets his confidence back, no one will care about any of this.

• JF says:

Agree with this.

• durocher says:

How can they buy out Briere for free next season? They’ve used up their compliance buy outs, unless you mean Briere just walks as a UFA after the 2014-15 season is over.

• mark-ID says:

You can still buy a player out, it just means that it will count against the cap. As opposed to compliance buyouts which dont count against the cap.
        People have posted the numbers before…..I believe to buyout Briere at the end of the season will only cost 1.5ish (or something) million over two seasons. So we would hardly notice it on the increasing cap next season.

18. slyCH says:

These lines mean nothing, made only to be shuffled after the first shift in the game. The contingency lines.

19. ooder says:

got to feel for emelin.. coming back from a very tough injury, no training camp you can tell he has been running on fumes.
    this type of injury reminds me of when lucic had a high ankle sprain and spent a whole season kind of recovering and limping along.
    next year he comes back and tears it up.
    hopefully emelin is the same and this is just a bleep

20. frankcasting says:

How do you solve a problem like Emelin by not playing him? That’s just mind games, and to play either 6 or 55 over him is not playing to win. As for the pairings, I think MT takes the six names, dips them in poo and throws them against a wall in his office. Dude is really puzzling.

Loving the Habs since 1965

21. habsfan0 says:

MT is benching Briere for 2 straight games?
    MB is likely none too pleased with that development.

Even though he was told “No”, Galchenyuk continues to set sights on Sochi with team USA. Persistent little bugger.

23. Subban – Bouillon?

That’s funny stuff right there, I am looking forward to the game tonight. Well PVR, we have practice.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

24. grizzles says:

briere + bourque + pick/prospect for ott+stafford and we pick up konopka and dump parros. Who says no? Habs instantly bigger and better

• Steeltown Hab says:

Buffalo says no

• grizzles says:

why? if the pick was high or the prospect was solid

• Steeltown Hab says:

Briere has NMC so the trade makes no sense from that alone.

Ott will get you a 1st and a prospect at the deadline, that’s reality.

Bourque/Stafford is a wash if that. So really the deal is Briere and a pick or prospect for Ott. I’ll take a 1st and a prospect than an aged Briere on a team about the finish last.

• Gerry H says:

..and funnier. Apparently Ott is a real cut-up in the room.

• Habfan17 says:

How about Bourque, Gorges, Diaz, and LeBlanc for Foligno, Wisniewski and a 3rd round pick?

Habfan17

• Habfan17 says:

That would leave
        Patches, DD, Gallagher
        Foligno, Pleks, Gio ( until deadline )
        Gallchenyuk, Eller, Bournival
        Moen, White, Prust
        Markov, Subban
        Emelin, Wisniewski,
        Murray, Pateryn,
        Boullion

Habfan17

• durocher says:

From another thread: Gio and Bourque to Washington for Brouwer, Erat, and Galiev

- Brouwer plays RW with Max and DD
      - Erat, who wants out of DC, plays with his homeboy Pleks
      - Galiev tore it up in the Q and can develop in Hamilton

25. IdleNoMore says:

You don’t hear much about Guy Boucher these days. Anyone know what he is up to??

• Steeltown Hab says:

Just watching things in MTL crumble and shocked he still hasn’t received a call.

• slyCH says:

Only reason Boucher played the awful trap system was because of his D and G’s in Tampa. I seriously doubt he’d install one here with Price. Plus he knows the org. Do it.

• Steeltown Hab says:

He was the coach in Hamilton when subban put up 55+ pts in his rookie yr in the AHL. I’ll take him anyday.

• CH Marshall says:

I’d love to see him coach the Habs, especially Subban. Something about Guy that I like a lot. I don’t think we’d see a 1-3-1.

26. adadi says:

Subban with Frankie B?! The coach(es) is (are) not very smart. Honestly, the Habs are going to get creamed tonight.

27. slyCH says:

@MOUNT ROYAL

If you didn’t get my dead zone reference, here’s a clip.

Picture Christopher Walken as me (and much of the fan base)

Martin Sheen as MB.

And last but not least the baby as Danny Briere.

This is how it’ll all end.

28. John Frodo says:

How can we all just get along, well lets understand the big picture. Sports is a metaphor, and you do no use the holocaust one politely.

29. JohnBellyful says:

How can anyone argue the Habs are not a grinding team?
    I know there’s a lot of games their play makes my teeth grind.

30. adamkennelly says:

My bro has been chirping about Emelin’s suckitude for ages…but still – can we consider Frankie B a better option?

wow – our D kinda sucks.

we’ll have 3 outta 6 guys who aren’t worth a crap in the line-up tonight.

31. Ozmodiar says:

What’s next for Briere after this stint in the press box??

A trade? A promotion to the 1st line with Max and 1st unit PP time?

I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Therrien and JJ Daigneault are just a couple Bozzos. Gallant is the only guy I think who might have a clue on that staff.

• bellcentre hotdog says:

I think 1st line minutes and PP time have to be earned. And Briere right now is getting exactly what he has earned:

nothing.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Davey’s ECHL MVP, ringing endorsement from Pacioretty, and french last name was all he needed to earn it. Briere’s career should trump that.

32. mount royal says:

Has anybody seen Reway play? (and I am not asking for opinions on his size). He has 24 points in his last 10 junior Quebec games and 10 points in 4 games at the World`s playing for a mediocre Slovakia team. I wasn`t here at the time, but according to my grandson then, he also created quite an impression at the Habs` tryouts last autumn.

• kalevine says:

maybe we are looking at the next Denis Savard? He was small but had such moves that he was slippery. That is until he came to the Habs

• CJ says:

Yes, I have watched him play live. A friend of the family happens to play with Gatineau (Marc Beckstead) so I was able to kill two birds with one stone. Regarding Reway, very skilled young man. Goes into the high traffic areas and was able to avoid any major contact. He sees the ice very well and is a gifted playmaker and finisher. His size appears to be his only deterrent at this stage, something which he may yet overcome.

33. Steeltown Hab says:

What is the holdout for Subban’s contract. Fan base is just dying for some good news.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

You will have to wait until the off-season. Subban’s agent is doing to MB what MB did to him last negotiation. MB is screwed. If PK does nothing he gets easily 7.5 mill in arbitration. Next year even more. Then UFA and boom…who knows how much.

34. zephyr says:

maybe emelin could use a break. 1 game isn’t so bad. who cares about briere. he looks done. mb was a fool to sign him. how can anyone look like a bigger fool than to sign a guy who’s been bought out & then continues to suck? we just got rid of gomez & now we get gomez lite. not sure blunden or thomas wouldn’t be a better option in the event we run into injuries.
    mt is a dolt to say the habs are a grinding team. they should be forechecking & transitioning/counterpunching. subban needs to be allowed to play his game too.
    i don’t trust any habs mgmt to make a trade. very, very few work out in our favour & we’ve been robbed often. so no trading maxpac for anyone. period. we’re going to have to live with what we have until our prospects develop.
    dd has really turning his game around & is 1 of our 2 best little guys. he’s a gifted playmaker & works hard.
    still think we’ll see pateryn & maybe even tinordi up later this year. we’re still doing fairly well in the standings but it’s frustrating to see our boys play so inconsistently.

• Steeltown Hab says:

You sign Desharnais to an early ext. tends to look like a mistake down the stretch, though he should’ve know. Than he goes out and gets an aged Briere which is a pretty similar player to a in his prime Desharnais….what was the need?

• zephyr says:

disagree on dd. i like him. works hard too. he’s really been putting up some nice numbers since his slow start too. i’ll take maxpac’s word on dd’s value.

• Steeltown Hab says:

He’s not even 0.5 PPG playing with Pacioretty and Gallagher while getting 1st unit PP time with Subban and Markov. He’s also a complete defensive liablity and never can make a play on his man in the slot.

MTL even tried having Pacioretty take the center responsiblities down low and Desharnais cover the D man at the point for a few games that’s how bad it is.

• zephyr says:

8 points in his last 10 games. pretty sure he did even better in the 10 b4 that.

• Gerry H says:

You can’t ignore the fact that he has 17 pts in his last 20 games. He has been a sixty point player before and has been playing at that level after a dreadful start.

And as Zephyr points out, he hustles consistently. Briere plays like a defeated man. DD showed heart even when things were going badly. No comparison.

• Steeltown Hab says:

No GM in the league would even consider trading for Desharnais, that’s all you really need to know about him as a player.

35. Arnou Ruelle says:

FYI to those ppl. who criticized me about St. Pierre: @ habs001 – So what then if he’s 30 years old!

Look at his stats: http://hamiltonbulldogs.com/pressbox/stats/

Martin St. Pierre has 7G, 18A, and 25pts.

I would rather let St. Pierre play with the Habs than for a Briere who’s paid $8 Million for 2 years and had done little or nothing at all. Now he’s sitting his ass on the pressbox for this game. You call that guys a good acquisition? You tell me!

And everybody here is complaining why Erik Cole went to Dallas! Big Deal. He’s not here anymore!

• Steeltown Hab says:

GUYS….HE’S ABSOLUTELY RIGHT LOOK AT ST. PIERRE’S STATS!

• Habcouver says:

Not to criticize you, I see MSP as another small forward that would be pushed around. I don’t have the luxury of keeping track of the Dogs but what do you think of bringing back Mike Blunden (if he’s still there)? Big body.

Waiting patiently for #25

• slyCH says:

I’d bring Blunden up B4 StP. Not to diminish his stats but what exactly would AHL numbers translate to NHL level. Not much of an upgrade.

• JUST ME says:

Blunden has been brought up how many times now ? How many times has he been sent down ? He had his chance and size did not make the difference. St-Pierre deserves a chance. At 30 years old you know the guy is mature and knows what to expect. Both are AHL carreer players i agree but we have seen what we needed to see of Blunden.

• Ozmodiar says:

Good numbers from St. Pierre, indeed!!

Not only that, when you consider he’s putting up these numbers as a “prospect”, the sky’s the limit for this kid. Imagine what he’ll do as a more developed, mature 40 year old.

Onward and upward for St. P!!!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Habs already have a midget centerman who is a minus player…no thanks.

36. habcertain says:

When you realistically can only expect a couple of goals per game, and you reach 3, you are going to fall back and that is a coaching decision, as I’ve posted in the past Therrien is coaching for his job, not the future. With young kids that is not the type of coaching we need.

37. Eddie says:

How the mighty have fallen! The boys at RDS predicted Briere would lead this team in scoring; Lafleur passes him the torch; now the guy is eating hot dogs and crafting paper airplanes from the dog wrappers.

It’s sad.

• Habcouver says:

Are Bell hotdogs just as good as Forum hotdogs?

Waiting patiently for #25

• Eddie says:

I don’t like them as much, no.

I was a young boy when I first went to the Forum. The people were tall, the seats were wide, the dogs were my great treat at the game.

Today I’m older, the seats have shrunk, and a dog is a dog.

Life is wasted on the youth I guess.

• Habcouver says:

I had a Forum dog in 1988: Habs home opener vs. Minnesota, Richer scored winning goal.
          Anyways, the concession gal ripped me off on my $ change! Ah, but it was worth it.

Waiting patiently for #25

• Habfun says:

Eddie, I like that and the dogs were bigger too!
          and yes I am headed for my sixties but youth was all that and a bag of chips!!
          All we’ve got left are the Bull “dogs”!!

It\\\’s all about the CH

• bellcentre hotdog says:

Finally a topic of extreme importance.

The Bell Centre hotdog is a culinary delight … wrapped in toasted bread and made to order. In a game a few years ago, a buddy and I ate 7.

Each.

• Ozmodiar says:

The boys @ RDS are fools… a little unsettling considering RDS is the Habs’ coaching pool. ;)

• IdleNoMore says:

The worst part is everyone on here knew it was a horrible signing before and after it happened. Yet some how the upper brass didnt?

38. Gerry H says:

The thing that disturbed me about that Carolina debacle was the pattern it repeated from the Nashville game. After finally putting up some serious first-period offence (three goals) in both cases, they laid back and both games went to OT. This is not the behaviour of a “character” team.

The coach has got to address this. I don’t think it’s a matter you can deal with by centring out a guy or two or shuffling lines. Those types of collapses are team events. In this most recent case, coming on the heels of a loss to one of the leagues weakest teams, it’s especially infuriating. They are too easily satisfied with themselves. The coach(es) need to up the hard-ass quotient big time. I think Michel Therrien 2.0 needs to channel Michel Therrien 1.0 a little.

• Eddie says:

” they are too easily satisfied with themselves”

Yes. That’s the problem when the GM and the coach set the expectations TOO LOW.

It’s called BAD LEADERSHIP.

39. slyCH says:

Makes one wonder why sign a Franco player if you’re going to sit him. I’m a Franco who was none too pleased by the signing of Big B. Things get too complicated in that market. This pandering for the sake of appeasing has to stop.

• mount royal says:

Yeah, sure they signed him in order to sit him!!! Clearly, like any other observer, they are not too happy with his play. I think that irt was about the time of B`s signing, that MT said that the Habs need two types of players; those who play well in the regular season and those who play well in the playoffs I think that he saw Briere as a good playoff performer. Well, every body is stunningly brilliant in hindsight, but B may not last here until the playoffs Clearly his first-language is not a factor in how management will deal with him. This is a totally phoney issue, constantly brought up by people who have no idea how things actually work here in Montreal.

• slyCH says:

They sign a team’s buy-out shrimp Franco center way pass his best of date to play the wing. I saw the fiasco coming like a nightmarish flash a la Christopher Walken in “The dead zone”.

40. Habcouver says:

Do you agree with this constant line juggling? MT et coaching staff should know players by now to allow the lines gel!

Waiting patiently for #25

41. CHicoHab says:

Good stuff Sholi

42. Ok HERE’S THE DEAL

It’s too freakin cold to care :lol:

Go Habs Go

Canadiens 5
    Dallas 1

CAREY SCORES TONIGHT :)

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• IdleNoMore says:

ahh wpg got love out weather! hard to find someone to go fishing with as it is, nevermind when it’s -50!

43. CHicoHab says:

In the past I don’t think Dallas has manhandled us. Tonite should be a close tight battle. Someone gets a shutout. Hopefully Carey.

44. wall2bay says:

So MB signs Briere for 2yrs at $4mill meanwhile Erik Cole has 2 yrs left that will pay him………yup you guessed it $4m per!!!

Erik Cole is big, strong and has 20 points…..Briere has 10 points……nuff said!!!

45. Phil C says:

I don’t mind the Bouillon-Subban pairing. They played well together recently. Bouillon has the wheels and smarts to support Subban properly and Subban is strong enough to cover for Bouillon in their own end. But I don’t see it as a long-term solution.

It’s about time they used Gorges on the right, he has been good there in the past. When Emelin is back (which hopefully is the next game), they should try him on the left with Subban. Emelin is much more physical on the left, which is an important element of his game.

46. John Frodo says:

I am watching the world Jr and thinking aboot what went wrong with pro hockey?

47. wall2bay says:

I’d like to see Therrien as a healthy scratch! Ever since he made that “Grinding team” comment, the Habs have posted more than 30+ shots only once going back 10 games!

This team is not built to grind it out with the personal and skill set we got!

• The_Truth says:

They certainly are not grinding it out if you watch their play. They are not built for a run and gun either. Too weak physically and no net presence. Unfortunately, they are easy to shut down any way they play.

Speed is one thing, but if you don’t go to the dirty areas and just stay to the outside and can’t retain the puck in the offensive zone, there just is no remedy for that against good teams with a solid gameplan.

48. HabFab says:

Grades for Hab prospects in the WJC preliminary round;

• unclefester says:

Speaking of prospects, I remember in the aftermath of the Michael McCarron selection the chatter on here about the day McCarron squares up with Milan Lucic, and how things were gonna’ change!!! Well I have have the good and great fortune of being able to view every London Knights game both home and away. I pay special attention to our friend Michael McCarron. I have no doubt he will be back in London again next season. A big man but a slow learner. Or at least, not a quick study. Nothing quick about the kid. He still has a very loooooong way to go to improve his game to reach the next level. His “progress” has been minimal to these tired old eyes.

Not all negative as McCarron couldn’t be in a better place to be taught with the Hunter family showing the way. But make no mistake, the kid is still very much a huge project.

49. grizzles says:

these D pairings are a sick joke, right? RIGHT?

50. slyCH says:

@ MR. BITER

Whaz up, tired of the PEG weather?

Most bars with multiple screens will designate one for you when asked. I usually go to Jack Flatts, an Irish bar on the 500 block of Duval st, directly across from Margaritaville. It got wild there during the 2010 playoff, especially during the Flyers series.

51. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Are you telling me not one forward deserved to be benched after the last game? If I was Briere, I would be pissed. There goes accountability (along with “pas d’excuses)…

As for Emelin, a bad Emelin is still better than Murray/Boullion. This does not fix anything…just more useless shuffling. One of the coach’s job is to put his players in the best position to succeed (ask DD…LOL). I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. Emelin should be moved to his natural left side. There is a reason why Markov and Gorges don’t play the right side…why should he??? This is such an obvious move…I just don’t get it. If this D does not improve the rest of the way, MT should should get fired just for not hiring Larry Robinson alone. There is no way a career 5-6th D-man coaching in the AHL was a better choice than Robinson.

• bwoar says:

Are you telling me Briere deserves more ice time?

“thoroughbred”

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I’m saying that if you sit a player for poor play then you should sit others if they play poorly too. The last game was a disgrace. Briere is obviously not the only problem with this team.

• slyCH says:

Do you think MB has the same expression as he has on your avatar when you bring up this subject?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The honeymoon will soon be over for MB…especially if this keeps up. Hopefully it is just another dip.

• slyCH says:

My gage has always been this coming off season. If he does the right moves with the contracts coming off the books. Hopefully he can move some contracts before the trade deadline and get some decent picks or prospects, hopefully some with size and grit. That would be impressive. If not…

• bwoar says:

Who should play instead then? I agree Briere isn’t the only problem, but who should sit?

“thoroughbred”

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

It’s hard because they all sucked. If you want to send the players a message…Gionta…but then you run the risk of losing the room. I agree; not an easy decision.

• bellcentre hotdog says:

If MT was to ‘sit others if they play poorly too’ then the Habs might only have 10 players on the ice tonight vs Dallas.

• Kooch7800 says:

Briere is not going to get better and hasn’t done really anything to be kept in the line up. Emelin has sucked pretty hard for the last few games. He is struggling and needs a reset. He will be back in next game

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Steeltown Hab says:

Briere hasn’t been given much of an opportunity, and when put with Desharnais Pacioretty, they were all garbage. When put with Plek Gionta, they were good. Briere is the only one who is consistently bounced whether its good or bad play.

• Kooch7800 says:

Brier was given opportunity on the PP and on top lines and never really produced this year. He and dd play a very similar style and max loves his little dd. I think that played into his ext
          “Keep your stick on the Ice”

52. Phil C says:

This is exactly Erik Cole’s pattern, come to camp a little out of shape, getting going by December and be a dominant player for the rest of the season. I think the Habs gave up on him too soon. I would certainly take Cole ahead of Briere right now. Perhaps there were dressing room problems, but who knows.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Yup. I was so excited when MB dumped Cole’s contract because I thought he was going to spend the money wisely…ooops.

• The_Truth says:

I loved Cole’s game that one season and after a slow 20 games in his 2nd season MB dumped him. Didn’t like the move much for Ryder, but figured he would use the saved money for something good this off season. Well, he downgraded the position on Briere. A real head scratcher. Right now I would take Cole or Ryder (not a big fan though) over Briere. Would definitely take Jagr as well.

Really having flashbacks to Gainey/Gauthier on that one and that is not a good thing.

53. habs001 says:

Another game where the Habs will get dominated in their zone…Habs win this game of they get solid goaltending and breaks in their zone and score on their limited chances…Very few games where this team wins based on being the better team on the ice…

54. shiram says:

Markov-Gorges
    Bouillon-Subban
    Murray-Diaz

55. jrshabs1 says:

Sit guys, play guys, juggle the lines. It doesn’t matter! Is the GM able to make a trade to improve his team, or does every player on the roster have a no trade contract? Smoke, mirrors and good goal tending have got the Habs this far. The smoke has cleared, the mirror has shattered and the goalie is pissed off. Now What? Is M.B.’s big free agent signing and Flyer compliance buy-out D.Briere, going to put this team on his back and lead them on a Cup run? Are the 8 smallest guys in the league going to play really big and lead this team into the playoffs? No and no! Maybe M.B. has a plan, or maybe the French only option for coach and GM has handcuffed the Habs into only hiring second rate talent.

MOAR BIGGAR!!!!!

• ProHabs says:

When Bergevin signed Briere, he made it really clear that he did not have a plan. Same old folks.

Spending 4 Million on a 36 year old washed up small player is unacceptable. He should have been fired the next day.

56. Steeltown Hab says:

Kinda hope Cole just torches the Habs.

57. habcertain says:

it is a poor coaching decision to sit Briere for what, so Bournival (who play has declined expectedly) can play 5 minutes on the 4th line. Like it or not, Briere was signed for 2 years at $4m/per, at least put him out there with top players to see if he can get going. When he was starting to play more productively Therrien would pull him off the line after a lead to have him sit. You cant expect players of his ilk to play better by watching or logging useless 4th line minutes. Jagr said it best, he needs at least 19 minutes of TOI to be able to get a rhythm going. Not once has Therrien done that with Briere, DD of course was a different story, “We half to be patient with da guy”.

58. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Emelin may have the sniffles, and besides, seeing the game from above could be helpful for Emelin. Brière, on the other hand…

• Et le but says:

Emelin was actually playing very well earlier this season. His game turned south following an elbowing major to Steve Downie in a game against the Flyers on December 12, a questionable call that did not result in supplemental discipline. He hasn’t been the same player since; looking timid and unsure of himself.

Not sure if or how this contributed to his diminished play, but the timing would indicate it did. If so, how?

59. slyCH says:

I think the most important question may be… Who’s reffing tonight?

60. AliHaba says:

The time is nearing for some roster moves; especially on defense. Greg Pateryn looks like he’s NHL-ready. Our two first-rounders (Tinordi and Beaulieu) both are struggling a bit but Morgan Ellis has been putting up solid numbers and may deserve a look.

61. IdleNoMore says:

Very suprised on Emelin sitting tonight… its not like he just came back from being hurt or having to play on his wrong side. Good thing we have someone that can fill his spot… oh wait…

• Bob_Sacamano says:

That´s brilliant coaching. Scratch him because he was struggling on the right and then bring in a complete useless dman who plays on the left. Moving Emelin to the left and and playing him on the third pair would probably be what any decent coach would do.

62. Walmyr says:

Emelin healthy scratches for Habs against Stars…good Coach…

now you only have to confirm that the other “10″ players who are playing below their levels will be healthy scratches too…even those who didn’t come back from a serious lower body injury less than 2 months ago…

63. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Fifteeeeeeeeeeeenth!

64. DAVE. N says:

A. Emelin 21 0 4 4 -8 31
    F. Bouillon 30 0 3 3 -10 13

Not sure the healthy scratch is a healthy move….Belated New Years wishes one and all.

65. DipsyDoodler says:

Konopka!

Robidas, Daley and Gonchar are out for Dallas on the D and they still keep winning.

George Parros’ career is one more hit away from ending and yet the Habs pass on Taylor Pyatt. It also hurts watching Mantha play for Team Canada knowing that the Habs probably could have traded up to grab him at #18.

Many HI/O posters are losing faith with Therrien but for me it’s Bergevin. Outside of signing Prust, there’s not too much to get excited about in terms of the new GM.

• IdleNoMore says:

Parros is not “one more hit away from retirement”
      You and everyone else that says that, sounds like Dr. Recchi

• 9the rocket says:

The Habs should pay George till the end of the season and let him go on his way. His long term health is far more important than the next fight he loses. Hopefully that is what the guys he is going to see at u michigan tell him.

I am a habs fan, players will come and go but the habs are forever.

• CH Marshall says:

With the family pedigree and francophone background, I’m hoping MB was trying his best to get higher in the draft

• RetroMikey says:

Remember, this is year 2 of 5 for Bergevin to build this franchise.
      I’d be content if we don;t make the playoffs since we won’t go very far in the playoffs as in previous years.
      Better off to get a high draft pick, that’s where it’s at.
      Draft high for 2 or 3 years and see the dividends 5 years from now.
      If not, same old, same old results for this club.
      I’ve said this many years ago when Gainey cleaned house back in 2009.
      Briere was the biggest mistake we made. The guy is just floating knowing his career is about to end in 2 years or so.
      Why bust his balls when he knows he is making the big bucks doing nothing.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• formerly known as the hc says:

Word ’round the campfire is that MB tried to move up in the draft, but wasn’t able to get the deal done. (According to a number of pundits). No mention was made of who was sought or who was offered. It was speculated that the asking price for what the Habs wanted to do was too high.

• grizzles says:

quite clear now that both MT & MB need to wake up and smell the smelling salts. Therrien only has a job because of 3 things. The Eastern Conference, Carey Price and PK Subban. If we played in the west he would have been gassed weeks ago. This team is a mess.I agree Bergevin hasn’t done a single good thing since signing Prust. How good does Erik Cole instead of Briere sound right about now? Signing Emelin long term without seeing him play a single game post-injury looks awful right about now, coaching not helping him though thats for sure.

• CJ says:

Sure, they could have traded up to grab Mantha. There were reports from the draft which indicated that Montreal pressed hard for a trade. It would not have been worth it though if it meant giving up something else. Not many teams came away from the 2013 draft with three better picks in their top three then Montreal. McCarron, de la Rose and Fucale. You make it sound like it was given that Detroit would just let us have the pick for nothing of consequence. I love the World Juniors, but it is a very small sample.

• Phil C says:

There was a 24CH type show following the Blue Jackets at the draft. Bergevin called Columbus for the 19th pick, Kekalainen didn’t even listen to the offer, he just told Bergevin he was picking his guy and hung up as they were high on Rychel. Detroit took Mantha right after that with the 20th pick. You need a dance partner in order to move up.

• Timo says:

This HIO poster lost faith at DD signing. Immediately and irrevocably.

67. slyCH says:

I was hoping to see Emelin play since tonight is my first opportunity to watch a game live in quite a while. I hope this is not the same situation as Markov went through after his surgery where we have to wait until next year for him to regain his form, like Marky did.

Or maybe it’s simply a case of the Habs 4 year contract extension curse, a la DD… Fingers crossed.

68. durocher says:

Good for Cole — I liked him as a Hab.

Emelin — he’s a beast, but hasn’t been the same post-injury. The same Emmy right away can’t be reasonably expected, he’ll need time to regain his form. Getting Murray back in the line-up seems smart.

Briere — whereas Emmy being a healthy scratch is temporary and likely related to conditioning, Briere has no compete level and thus his benching should be close to permanent.

• 24 Cups says:

Cole – this guy has a career of running hot and cold.

Emelin – Put him back on the left side. Move Gorges to the right or promote Pateryn.

Briere – Therrien isn’t benching this guy without Bergevin’s permission. It’s time for a buyout in July.

• IdleNoMore says:

Cole stopped playing for this team and cried about money when the lock out was on. Not someone that you should “like”

• Mr. Biter says:

Agree with you idle. Cole stopped playing for the Habs last year. And if he’s scored 8 goals in Dec. he scored 2 in his first 25 games and was demoted to the 4th line for some time while in Dallas.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

69. Mattyleg says:

Boy, one-way traffic in the SWE-SLO game.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• RetroMikey says:

Man, those Russians suprised the US.
      So fast, so skilled and tough!

Still waiting for us to make the blockbuster trade for prospects and draft picks, that is the only way to go if we are to compete in the future with bigger teams in the West like LA, St. Louis, Chicago to name a few.
      The East is s imply one team, the Bruins for several more years.
      Hopefully, Bergevin will not be like Bob Gainey who simply did not do nothing at trade deadline!
      Merry Orthodox Christmas to all my fellow brothers out there!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

70. CH Marshall says:

71. CJ says:

Go Habs Go! Let’s get a win tonight boys!

72. Gerry H says:

Happy for Cole. He’s a good guy and fun to watch when he’s on his game.