Brière and Prust injured in Habs loss to Predators (Video)

Briere HIO

(File photo: Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

It was a costly 2-1 loss to the Nashville Predators Saturday night for the Canadiens with Daniel Brière suffering a concussion and Brandon Prust an upper-body injury. The Canadiens said Prust will be re-evaluated on Sunday and they should know more on Monday.

Brière, who signed with the Canadiens as a free agent last summer, headed to the dressing room in the second period after being checked by Eric Nystrom. Canadiens’ coach Michel Therrien said after the game that he thought it was accidental. (No penalty was called on the play.)

Brière suffered a concussion in each of the past two seasons with his former team, the Philadelphia Flyers.

Prust crashed into the boards chasing a loose puck in the third period, banging his right shoulder.

The Canadiens are already without Max Pacioretty, their leading point-getter the past two seasons. He’s expected to be out for three weeks with a strained hamstring.

The Canadiens thought they had the go-ahead goal in the third-period when Lars Eller swatted the puck in a goalmouth scramble but it was disallowed.

The referee who called it a goal thought the puck had crossed the line, Therrien said. “His three (colleagues)  explained to me that they didn’t think the puck had gone in. So they went to video and they determined that the goal wasn’t good.”

You can hear what Eller had to say here:

And you can hear what Canadiens’ captain Brian Gionta had to say here:

1. VintageFan says:

Interesting to find out that conclusive video evidence is NOT the only way to reverse a decision. Majority opinion (including the linesman who was 50 feet away with Rinne’s back toward him) also works. Perhaps one of these days they will let the fans vote just as they used to do for the 3 stars

2. DickandDanny says:

Briere is playing like his age…old. Not all players age the same, but he sure has aged. He can’t play at the speed of the new NHL. This signing came 4-5 years too late. He was also way over paid by MB imo. Where would we be without him? We would still be 5-3, maybe 6-2, but we wouldn’t be any worse that’s for sure or any better without him. He has had no impact either positively or negatively. So, basically you could take his 5 million contract and invest that money somewhere else. Personally I like guys like Ternasky, a player who again imo has a lot more to offer this fragile bunch we have, and at a quarter of the cost. Bring him up.

One other thought. Prust we love you man. We get you and we like the way you play. But hey you gotta stop throwing your body around recklessly. There was no need too go crashing into the end boards like you did. Your only hurting yourself and your team playing like that. You got to learn to pick your spots and take a little bit more precaution out there. This ain’t the first time your reckless style has led to your own injury. Really not necessary.

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

3. homerbowen says:

What’s with all the injuries….don’t these guys come to camp in shape. Same guys all the tine.
    Briere is past his prime (way past) and DD just doesn’t have what it takes to play at this elite level…both turned out to be bad signings, but at least RDS has someone to interview!!
    Gallagher, Eller and Gallenchuk are playing great.
    Hopefully we do not resign Gionta and Boullion
    A little more effort in the first period and we could/should have won this game. At least the Laffs lost.

4. Johnny9 says:

Maybe 139am my time? 4am last call where iam tonight, let’s make it the afternoon!

5. Johnny9 says:

@savethepuck

You did throw a shot my way. I did not call anyone an idiot or wtv, I simply said a comment that was made was stupid or ridiculous. Also, many people on here insult!
    Also never said anyone sucked, just simply said they are not worth the money and should not be in the top 4 on contending teams.

• savethepuck says:

Goodnight, talk to you in the morning buddy. I am in the Maritimes and it is now 3:33 AM. Too many double Captain Morgan Black Spiced Rums for me.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

6. Johnny9 says:

@savethepuck

Congrats on a well formulated comment!

• savethepuck says:

Boone, is that you?

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• savethepuck says:

I am having a very hard time figuring out why your comments are showing 1 hour before everyone elses.
        You make a comment at 1:25 AM, I reply at 2:07 AM, you then comment that “congrats on a well formulated comment”, but it says it was at 1:39 AM. I know what time it is. WTF is going on?
        Go to bed

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

7. Johnny9 says:

@savethepuck

Come at me bro! Why don’t you say something intelligent for once to put me down instead of childish lame humour? Ohhhh that’s right cause your hockey IQ isn’t high enough!

• savethepuck says:

Had absolutely no clue what you were talking about until I realized my response to Jonny55 may of offended you. I have not replied or responded to anything you typed in your entire 1st day on H I/O. You made a statement earlier that you disliked certain Habs including Josh Gorges, and that is totally your prerogavative. I had no problem whatsoever with that. What I did have a problem with, was when you for some reason pointed out @Dunboynemike and @savethepuck you are stupid ( or was it idiots?). I know for a fact that I did not reply to a single post of yours tonight. I know for a fact that I try to avoid things like that. You are totally entitled to your opinion to say this guy sucks or that guy sucks, but when you abuse or disagree with somebody because their opinion is different than yours, maybe you should try to be a little more politically correct. You said you have been reading this Site for a long time, if you actually have, you should realize that posters here ( who are respected ) discuss and maybe debate a little, bit they don’t disrespect or insult.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

8. Bugs says:

‘Course, I ain’t HAPPY about Breeur bein hurt and out of the line-up…but I ain’t sad about it either. Just cuz he’s wearin the colors doesn’t mean I gotta like’m. ‘Sides, I don’t DO “gotta”.
    Me, I saw a guy who saw the Predator comin. Looked up, saw it, ate it. Maybe added a little mustard in the performance goin down. Now, I can’t PROVE any of this. But I don’t have to. All I needa do is let my pre-suppositional bias against the guy do all the reasonin.
    And it works great!
    Oh no! Guys who are actually scorin are gonna hafta take his place; boo-hoo-hoo. We’re gonna hafta double-shift Galchenevsky (or whatever), oh no, we’re doomed, doooo-oooomed!
    C’mon, man.

Uh, but seriously, get well, Danny, yeah. Love ya, baby.

Left turn-missin’ L. B. Potter.

• savethepuck says:

In other words, it is time for us fans to see if our Habs can still win with the numerous injuries we now have. I think it is what our GM has promised will happen. Personally I am looking forward to seeing what happens in the next couple of weeks, we have been promised depth, and I know he has only had 1 and 1/2 years to amass the depth we are hoping for, but I trust MB.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

9. Johnny9 says:

I have a low tolerance to stupidity and ignorance, many people make great point! However, many also make stupid points, like calling for Therrien’s head. When he deserves to be fired, I’ll be the first to admit it. Personally, Roy was my idol and would have loved for him to be coach, but Thierrien has done well so far, DUDE!

10. Johnny9 says:

You guys seriously trashing the coach right now?!? He brought a team who was last in the conference and finished 2nd in the east, lost in the 1st round but had tons of injuries. Even with injuries early in the year they’re still doing well. So they lost one boring sat night game in which the refs screwed us and you guys are calling for the coaches head?! Sounding like a bunch of leaf fans. You should be embarrassed to call yourself hab fans!

• The Dude says:

Not Trashing Therrien …just stating the obvious ,Roy was the chosen one and MB couldn’t put winning ahead of EGO . Those phantom calls against Subban would of not past Roy,period!And Brierre….great entertainment sighing but has NADA to do with Winning! And it’s all bout winning baby!

• slyCH says:

I don’t see MT bashing tonight except for the usual suspects. I for one did not witness the game live but from the NHL app boxscore while at work. I blame the refs for weak calls from second hand HIO posters reports, I blame Gary Bettman in house initiative that American teams steal the lime-light from Canadian teams and get the appropriate calls their way. The Bettman bias to Canadian teams so more American based teams make the playoffs for that almighty American buck a la NFL, I blame the high SOG count against the habs on….Ah heck. I blame it all on the fact we have the deck stacked against us in a big way.
      PS. Only 5 beers in. I blame it on a near empty stomach.

11. jonny55 says:

Is anyone really surprised Briere got hurt? C’mon man….

• Frank2468 says:

You really want to know what surprises me, is like I said before with all the guys going down how does David Tomber dodge the hurt parade? Guess there are advantages for being a perimeter player.

• savethepuck says:

Are you 4 1/2 times worse than Johny9?

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• jonny55 says:

not worse, not better, just a man who never understood giving effing briere (small, frail, past his prime) 4mil/yr for two years (and he’s still getting how much from the FLyers???!!!) when the plan was to get bigger and stronger. I would rather have promoted someone from within than throw that money and ice time away. I’d like to see more Blunden, for example, and I think we can all agree that Bournival needs more ice.

Please, let’s NOT sign Gagne. Come one. Have Habs not signed enough bad, washed up, injured, heartless “talent”? If Habs had 6 instead of 3 forwards show up for the game (never mind all 12) then already results would have been much better.

Where were Plekanec, Gionta, White, Moen, DD, Bourque, Briere today? Have any of them done anything other than float around all night adoring their banks accounts? Before going and wasting money on other useless players nobody else wants, perhaps Therrien or even Bergevin should get the current overpaid bunched a little fired up and make them play for 60 minutes.

• Hobie Hansen says:

It’s sad and very frustrating that Bergevin is blinded by the fans and signed Briere and Desharnias just to score brownie points. If he signed Gagne he would officially be in hot water.

• slyCH says:

Not sure they were brownie points as you put it. At least I’m convincing myself away from that scenario. But Gagne definitely deserves to remain in hockey purgatory, just like Briere should have. It’s already a mess as it is.

• Frank2468 says:

I concur Timo, I would see Gio, Pleks, DD out there and I would wait for the EGG line to come out and say OK now maybe something will happen. What worries me is bad habits wash off to others. If the vets continue to float around how long before the young guys start to think why are we killing ourselves for nothing!! And when that happens then you have the Leafs where young talent goes to become frustrated and bewildered.

• savethepuck says:

The young guys will always, and I mean always play to the max of their potential because either a) they are professionals and love their teammates or b) they are playing for their next contract. Either way, they are going to advance.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

13. galchenyuk27 says:

Yeah pointless threw 3 games I’d rather have.Holland fill in for briere

14. galchenyuk27 says:

I say sign gagne and call up tarnasky gagne would come cheap and can still produce would be excellent back up he was the kings back up to for there cup year and he might push briere when he gets back which could mean DD sits

15. slyCH says:

I finished work and, after seeing the score and especially the boxscore, I decided to pick up a case of 12 Modelo. Yeah, I’m going Mexican. And from now on I am retracting almost all I said negative on Timo philosophy and will be more respectful of his, um, tantrums, because I feel many of my own coming this season. Olive branch extended. Then I use that same branch to whip the hell out of all NHL refs.

16. Hobie Hansen says:

I hope Briere is OK. Although, that won’t stop me from saying that the team is probably better with him out of the lineup. He was done as a player when Philadelphia bought him out.

Bergevin has done well in some areas but Desharnias and Briere are two embarrassing moments in his career as the Habs GM thus far.

• Timo says:

Aside from Prust and Galchenyuk (which was the biggest no brainer ever) all of Bergevins moves haven’t had any positive impact on the Habs.

• shootdapuck says:

As long as he resists Gagne he’s positive !

BUT JDM seems to have a powerful influence on the 7th floor of the Bell Center! A mole maybe!

=================================================
        The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“On peut play cette game tres simplement”
        “Le game est tous de hard work”
        ” I have a pet peeve”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Watching 24CH, I’ve developed a faint affection for him, he seems like a decent guy. I’m not going to hold it against him too much any more that he snubbed the Canadiens for the Flyers, I’ll pretend it never happened as long as he doesn’t pile on what an honour it is to be here, and all that.

I never want to see a player hurt, especially one of our own. The buffoons who were cheering his concussion should be ashamed of themselves, and be blocked from here. I know, I know, they’ll just sign up another way, but still, a statement should be made.

• Timo says:

Oh, so he is another good guy in the room Habs’ been so sorely lacking. Fantastic. Cue Dave Stubbs’ interview.

• shootdapuck says:

Already done I believe.

=================================================
          The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“On peut play cette game tres simplement”
          “Le game est tous de hard work”
          ” I have a pet peeve”

So with the “loss” of Briere and Prust I imagine Habs will call up Dumont and… Blunden? Can Dumont really do worse than Briere? I doubt it. In fact, I bet he will at the very least have a hit or two. Prust will be hard to replace. He’s been playing well for Habs.

• Fransaskois says:

I think it will be a toss up between:

Tarnasky, Blunden, Dumont, and St.Pierre. It’s a shame Leblanc hasn’t started the year off better, he’d be a real asset on the third line.

• savethepuck says:

You have to stay positive about these things buddy ;)

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

18. Johnny9 says:

@mattyleg

Right here sweetheart! I’ll name you one person who had a bad game, Gorges! On for both goals, put one of them in his own net, and was flattened with his head down! Great nights work! Price played amazing, referees screwed us! With all the injuries they should probably sign Simon Gagne, thoughts? Go Dos Santos!

19. shootdapuck says:

Someone explain how 3 idiots 70 feet away suddenly develop X-Ray vision to see through the pile of bodies to disallow anything while the 4th idiot 3 feet away looking straight at the play who called it a goal gets overruled!

Did they call the War Room or HNIC Studio 42 and let PJ Schmuck make the call!

That certainly explains a 2 minute call for embezzlement too! Must have been plea bargain!

=================================================
    The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“On peut play cette game tres simplement”
    “Le game est tous de hard work”
    ” I have a pet peeve”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Look, I know there’s a bright boy out there who can do some simple math, and knows where/how to find this information, but I want a statistical analysis done on how many times the Canadiens win a video review, vs. the league average (which should be 50%, obviously), and vs. the Bruins and the Leafs average. I’m genuinely curious to know if there isn’t a functional, unorchestrated but pernicious bias against the Canadiens.

One ref clearly signals a goal, he’s the one closest to the action, in the best position to call it. The video is inconclusive. The three other on-ice officials didn’t see it. They confab. The goal is therefore overturned. How obscene is that?

If someone takes me up on my little project, the next one would be the issue of supplementary discipline, and how the Canadiens fare versus, again, the Bruins. Not really sure how to design this study, but I’ll stake Max getting games off for a shoulder check that hits Kris Letang in the face, and Ryan White getting suspended every time he sneezes, against Zero Chara on Max, and Milan Lucic on Ryan Miller, and Andrew Ference on his glove, and Milan Lucic on his crosscheck of Tom Pyatt.

• slyCH says:

Again, I did not see the game but the boxscore, and I could tell something was amiss in wunderland. I’m totally pissed.

• shootdapuck says:

Would probably be more damning just to see how many times supplementary discipline is applied vs total hearings for the Goons, Laffs. Flyers. NYR ,…..

Willing to bet if you compared players making in excess of say 5 million to distinguish ‘star players’ vs supplemental discipline it would be shocking!

=================================================
        The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“On peut play cette game tres simplement”
        “Le game est tous de hard work”
        ” I have a pet peeve”

20. SmielmaN says:

What a crap game by the refs and half the Habs forwards. I’m really disappointed we have desharnais for 3 more years. If I could I would trade Pleks right now for a scoring winger and move Galchenyuk to second line center behind Eller. Brutal game all around. Terrible.

Where the hell did my post go? Mods are playing the game refs tonight? What was there that was inappropriate?

22. slyCH says:

My HIO page just scrambled posts randomly. WTF?

23. The Dude says:

Not sighing Roy as coach was a HUGE rookie G.M. mistake!

• Timo says:

No, no. Rookie mistake was hiring Therrien. Everything else is just a continuation in series of mistake Bergevin has made. Some would say that he has no clue, but I don’t know who that would be.

• Mattyleg says:

Judging Roy as an NHL coach on 8 games is a huger, typical HI/O poster mistake.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• The Dude says:

BUT IT’S A SOUND MOVE HIRING A 2X FIRED COACH ….GET A CLUE!

• slyCH says:

Tremblay won his first 6 games as a coach as well. What do you think of his coaching career, let me re-phrase, HEAD coaching career. I used caps so you can understand my emphasis, as you often use caps. DUDE. It ain’t over till its over. Yogi Berra. Don’t be so quick to shoot down opposing observations to yours.

• Mattyleg says:

Get back on the chronic, Dude.
          You were a lot more fun back then.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• The Dude says:

• slyCH says:

Hash is more controllable than chronic.

• savethepuck says:

You come out of the woodwork to say that? Why don’t you include a complimentary Price bashing while you’re at it to make your bashing more complete.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

24. habs1992 says:

Briere looks like he has a lower body injury.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

25. Mattyleg says:

I was at the game.
    Pretty underwhelming.
    I’d love to be able to pick out one or two players who didn’t perform well, but there were too many.

Soooooo many giveaways.
    Very broken game.
    Not surprising, just come back home recently, had to take a game off.
    Nashville are the NJD of the West; tight, tight, tight, defensively.

Was hoping we’d be able to steal a point from a game that we didn’t deserve one from.
    We weren’t able to, and didn’t deserve it, finally.

Where’s Johnny9 gone?
    He was great fun.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Timo says:

Me and you know how to pick ‘em, eh Matty? I watch the Calgary clusterfu#$ and you got this. Yay us!

• Frank2468 says:

I feel your pain, I drove to Montreal 2 years ago with my wife and kid and stayed for 2 days and watched the clusterfu#$ against the Panthers in October and J.M decided to start Budja. Hotel, tickets, food and gas over $1000.00

• Mattyleg says:

Meh, that’s sports, right?
        Ain’t no guarantees.
        Just good to see our boys in the flesh.
        Some good individual moments.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Timo says:

Keep telling yourself that.

• Frank2468 says:

True I went to Brossard and saw a practice and seen the Count going through drills with the team. My kid got autographs from the players, and I actually saw the Ghost drive by rather quickly doing his impression of Casper not so friendly ghost. The funny part is his car had American plates on it. I asked someone who works there why he lives in the U.S and drives everyday to Montreal rather then live in Montreal. I was told cause of taxes cheaper to live in the US then Canada. Talk about team moral and spirit building and support for the local city and team. The funny part every player that drove out of the complex had Montreal plates except for the Ghost LMAO.

26. galchenyuk27 says:

Who’s gonna fill in for these guys Im not a fan of most bulldog forwards

27. Whatever says:

NHL refs should be available to the media after the game. If players and coaches have to explain their mistakes, so should refs. Better yet, mandatory public lie detector tests.

28. Frank2468 says:

So now that Brière is out with a concussion, now long will he be out. If he’s out for a very long time then I guess his 1 empty net goal is a very expensive one. Well at least we are moving in the right direction his one goal didn’t cost the team an 8 mil in cap hit!!!!!

29. slyCH says:

Didn’t see the game I just got home from work. What the hell happened? The inevitable happened with Briere. So soon in the season. Very disappointed in the score. Just by reading the box from work I could see Ontario refs doing their best work against the Habs. WTF!!!!!

30. Chuck says:

WTF. I’m first!

_______________________
    Anything is possible.

31. slyCH says:

Fiasco, I mean first. Great.

32. slyCH says:

I didn’t want him nor Vinny. They can both remain in the IR. Ingrates.

33. Storman says:

I agree but I would rather have Cole over either of them..

34. Fransaskois says:

I’d take Diaz’s buddy Brunner over all of them.

35. savethepuck says:

I think there may be more to that trade than any of us will ever know, the same as the Kristo for Thomas trade, we have to live with them and not over analyze them. Comparing careers after these 2 trades will not be productive for posters.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

36. Un Canadien errant says:

You and the cadre of idiots who rejoice at one of our own players getting a brain injury are what is wrong with HIO, especially after losses.

You may be a teenager who hasn’t lived and hasn’t seen much, but that doesn’t excuse a basis lack of empathy and common decency.

I missed the first period today because I had to attend to a fatality, on a bright sunny day, a regular guy was out on his motorcycle enjoying this beautiful fall weather when sh!t happened. So I have absolutely no patience with your complete jackassery.

37. savethepuck says:

Agree with you totally. Well said and understand your frustration with posters being happy about a Hab getting injured. It totally disgusted me reading it all night. I think I wrote the word deplorable way too many times.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

38. Fransaskois says:

Sorry to hear that UCE, it’s never easy.

I wouldn’t wish an injury on any person, this shouldn’t change just because that person’s a hockey player and playing poorly. They’re still people and these injuries can seriously affect their quality of life.