Brière agrees to two-year deal with Canadiens

The Canadiens announced on Thursday afternoon that free-agent Daniel Brière has agreed to a two-year deal with the team.

Brière, who turns 36 on Oct. 6, had his contract bought out by the Philadelphia Flyers on June 20.

In a statement released by the Canadiens, Brière said he was very excited at the opportunity to join the team.

“It’s an organization I looked up to throughout my youth and I really look forward to putting on the Habs jersey and contribute to the success of the team,”  Brière said.

Brière later spoke to reporters on a conference call Thursday evening from Hearst, Ont., where he was attending Flyers forward Claude Giroux’s golf tournament.

Asked by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey if he felt he had something to prove after a few seasons where his production has dipped a bit and with the Flyers buying him out, Brière said: “Yes, definitely.”

“Last year, especially, with the short season starting behind everybody because of injuries, I am definitely looking forward to bouncing back,” Brière added.

“I’ve done that my whole life. My whole career it’s always been about finding the motivation to bounce back. Coming to Montreal makes it really easy. First of all, having the chance to play for the Canadiens. I think there is no better motivation than that. And also making up on last season. It definitely was a season where I wasn’t happy with the way things went. And I’m going to do everything in my power to turn that around.”

Brière had played centre all his career prior to the past two seasons.

“So it’s maybe a little easier,” he said. “But I have no problem to play at centre or on the wing. It’s (coach Michel Therrien) that will decide all that. I have nothing to say on that side. I want to play where he thinks it will help the team the most.”

You can listen to more of what Brière said during the conference call by clicking here. (You may have to crank up the volume.)

“Daniel Brière brings a great deal of skills, experience and leadership to our team and he is a
significant addition to our group of forwards,” Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin said in the team’s statement.

“Daniel showed a great desire to pursue his career in Montreal and we are very happy that he committed to playing in Montreal for the next two seasons.”

A native of Gatineau, Brière has 286 career NHL goals in 847 games. In the postseason, the forward has 50 goals and 59 assists in 108 games played. Last season, the 5-foot-10, 179-pounder posted 6-10-16 totals and was minus-13 in 34 games with the Flyers.

While the Canadiens didn’t announce financial details, it is a two-year deal worth $8 million. Under new NHL rules this season, following the lockout, teams were permitted to talk to players and their agents as early as July 1, but no contracts can be officially signed until Friday.

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

Alfredsson signs with Red Wings as big free-agent names on the move, montrealgazette.com

Free agents signings tracker, NHL.com

Brière will earn $8 million on two-year deal with Habs, by Pat Hickey

Canadiens sign Brière to two-year deal, canadiens.com

Brière to join Canadiens with two-year contract, NHL.com

Bruins send Seguin to Stars in seven-player deal, NHL.com

re

2,638 Comments

1. Dunboyne Mike says:

Have to cook the dinner. Please call me when we sign Evander Kane.

Evander at 18 years old:

2. Sportfan says:

The way I see it a lot of these Hockey players rather sign a lot of money in non-traditional markets, then when they are old and useless and they sign in Montreal, Toronto etc They say OH YEAH I ALWAYS WANTED TO PLAY THERE lol

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

3. habsfan0 says:

This is getting boring.
    Time to turn my attention as to what UFAs Buffalo Bills will sign.

Bills’ brain trust supposedly now considering Aaron Hernandez.

4. krob1000 says:

I wonder if might be best to wait until afte the frenzy…when teams overpay and then have to move guys from a position of weakness. to get back to the cap …

5. neumann103 says:

Scott Hannan resigns with SJ. 1 Year, $1M

Always on my radar for good value fill ins on the blueline

“Et le but!”

6. NightRyder says:

Who is the smallest available free agent?

• sackabooboo says:

We should go after Verne Troyer – for 1 miiiiiiilllllion dollars…

_______________________________________________________
      Let’s trade Price…been a long time since the Habs have been fleeced….I miss it.

• bellcentre hotdog says:

Mini Me might be an excellent RW with Briere and Gallagher. But I believe a better deal is out there for MB: Danny Devito is still unsigned and I believe we can get him for 12 bucks and a bottle of hotdog water.

• sackabooboo says:

Screw DeVito….we should go after Barney Rubble. While he may have hands of stone….his wheels are killer…you get those feet moving and he will totally out skate Chara….

_______________________________________________________
          Let’s trade Price…been a long time since the Habs have been fleeced….I miss it.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hot wife, too.

• bellcentre hotdog says:

If we sign Rubble, Devito, and Troyer … that leaves the door open for Little Tokyo and Little Beaver back on D.

Fresh from the pro wrestling circuit they are use to the rough stuff and have tangled with King Kong Bundy. Handling Lucic would be a piece of cake.

7. krob1000 says:

Could the Penguins be considering moving Fleury for their cap space?

8. krob1000 says:

Still no word on Morrow or Iginla….interesting…I have not heard hardly even a peep about either….

• Ed says:

against the Bruins, I thought they were both terrible.

• krob1000 says:

I am not sure they really had a chance to play hockey….I found the Pens to be very individual…those guys are not capable of that….but every thing I saw was either Malkin, Neal or Letang…loading up in the neutral zone and trying to beat 5 guys. It was atrocious hockey and looked like Peewee House League…it was one guy get the puck try and beat everyone, turnover, other team attack, when you get the puck, try a diffferent player…see if he can go through everyone,etc,etc
        I am not sure that was really reflective of those guys. I think on a team that plays a cycling game they would still be effective

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Sadly have to agree. Jarome was invisible.
        Maybe Bylsma’s bad coaching is a mitigating factor.

• Habifax says:

i think they are looking for too much money both looked over with pitt

9. Bripro says:

The Laffs have signed another goon.
    Frazer McLaren 2 years.
    Too bad they’re so far away. They’d almost be worth supporting.
    Oh…. brain cramp!

10. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Money being tossed around like confetti today. And we missed half a season of hockey for what?

11. Psycho29 says:

BLOCKBUSTER DEAL:

Philadelphia Flyers ‏ @NHLFlyers 1m
    NEWS ALERT: #Flyers have signed free agent (G) Yann Danis to a one-year, two-way contract…

I thought he was retired

12. Led says:

I can’t stand the Sportsnet panel, what a collection of clowns. Unfortunately I don’t have access to TSN2 right now.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Same here, what a bunch of clowns. John Shannon is wasted there.

Nick Kypreos looks fired up enough to crash/fall onto a goalie to blow out his knee and end his career.

13. HabFanSince72 says:

Pens have $750K in cap space to sign three players.

14. Un Canadien errant says:

Actually guys, I’m glad Marc Bergevin isn’t part of this frenzy. The Ryan Clowe contract is unbelievable. Putting 7 years of trust in Nathan Horton, with his background in Florida, and the loss of his goon squad to enable his jerk tendencies, is madness.

I agree with the sane posse here. Suddenly, the Daniel Brière contract looks okay.

• Timo says:

Maybe he could make a reasonable trade and off load Desharnais to one of the many teams that are looking for a center? Nobody’s talking about signing Horton for 7 years here.

• Psycho29 says:

Agree 100%…..Imagine if he would have signed Horton, who isn’t going to play before December? HI/O would have gone up in flames…

And Clowe??? Forget it at those numbers…

• Ed says:

there is good and evil in this world, UCE, and we all have to take a stand at some point.

I don’t like the implications of the other side being called “sane” either.

• 24 Cups says:

I was just going to post that so far Ryan Clowe has to be the biggest winner of the UFGA sweepstakes.

Lou makes a great trade with Vancouver and then overpays for three players in a matter of 24 hours. Doesn’t look like he cares about the future once he’s gone from Jersey.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I now see why that tweet came out that we were out of the running for Ryane Clowe. If Marc Bergevin was offering his 3 at $3M deal he was dangling for Vincent Lecavalier, we were never in the running. And I’m glad we weren’t.

• Habfan17 says:

Yes, let all the foolish GM’s blow their brains out with these crazy contracts, then sit back and say, what will you give me for….insert name here!

Habfan17

Meanwhile, in the Habsland, Marc Bergevin finally got out of bed and is currently brushing his teeth. By 3 pm he may make it through his first cup of coffee and a toast.

• habs1992 says:

Source?

I support Carey Price

• habsfan0 says:

I believe MB is adopting the Alfred E Newman philosophy of “What,Me Worry?” today.

• johnnylarue says:

OMG–Bergevin and I have almost exactly the same schedule!

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

I, for one, am glad MB isn’t doing anything.

Horton and Riberio just got ridiculously overpaid. And if the reports on what Clarkson and Clowe are going to get are accurate…..stay in bed MB, stay in bed.

• marcelicus says:

Briere is an arrogant, over rated player. A few years ago when he left the Sabres, he trashed talked the Habs when they made a push for him. Now he says its a great organization that he always looked up to and finds it an honour to wear a Habs jersey. I hope the Habs fans rain boos on him everytime he touches the puck . Bad move Bergevin.

marcel landry

• johnnylarue says:

Like him or not, he chose to sign here, Marcel. He’s willing to face the music.

I respect him (a bit) for that.

• Timo says:

Must have been a heart wrenching decision to sign in Mtl to get paid 4 mil / year. I mean if anyone ever offered me that I’d laugh in their face and slap ‘em silly. He is a real hero though. Hope the fans will give him a true hero welcome everytime he touches the puck.

• Led says:

Some people have short memories.

It’s like welcoming back the girl who cheated on, then dumped you AFTER she’s lost her looks and gone into debt.

• ont fan says:

Ahh, what’s the sense in that? He plays for you now. As for the girl friend thing?

16. Fransaskois says:

Darn, Joensuu to Edmonton. He was a player I wanted to take a risk on.

17. Psycho29 says:

Friedman tweeted that around $150 million has been paid out so far

MacArthur gets two years @ 3.5M from Ottawa. That makes if official – the Briere deal was a mistake. I wonder what Brunner will get?

19. Sportfan says:

A lot of teams need centers we are chalk full, maybe we should be like TAKE DD :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

20. Bripro says:

Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG 5m
    Penguins have about 30 cents worth of cap space remaining and several RFAs to sign. Hard to imagine trade isn’t coming at some point.

21. ont fan says:

So Horton only negotiated with Columbus and got 7 years?

22. habsfan0 says:

Is it possible Habs will resign Michael Ryder?

23. Habilis says:

These GM’s must have he shortest memories in history. Handing out giant contracts like candy once again.

Imagine, a team like the Leafs just bought out a contract (Grabo) that they signed in May of 2012! Just over a year ago! You think they didn’t know about the impending lockout when they signed him?

It all points to one thing. You wanna know what we’ll all be doing in exactly 7 years? Talking about an upcoming lockout, that’s what. What a joke.

24. Sportfan says:

Clowe is not worth what Jersey gave him, I know we wanted him, but honestly thats too much.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

25. Kfourn says:

Clarke MacArthur acquired by the senators

_______________________________________________________
    Well, he’s kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace “accidentally” with “repeatedly” and replace “dog” with “son.”

“It’s sad when our rookies have no NHL experience before they jump up to the NHL.” – nunacanadien

26. Sportfan says:

With Scuderi signed maybe Pitts will let got of Orpik?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

27. habs1992 says:

” The hill we will die on” It sucks after next year you cant buyout players, HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH

I support Carey Price

28. habtastic74 says:

Just curious, have there been any rumors or anything about where Gomez may land?

29. Whatever says:

In the future, for those who say, “Let’s sign this guy for blah blah blah.” Triple the value of your blah blah blah.

Reasonable contracts have no place at UFA time. Gross overpayment is essential.

30. Kfourn says:

With Scuderi signing, I have a feeling that Orpik is now on the block…Do it MB

_______________________________________________________

31. Psycho29 says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m

Nathan Horton will undergo shoulder surgery this summer. Expected to be sidelined until December.

32. Rugger says:

So Horton signs Megabucks deal and then it is announced he is having surg and out till at least December?

33. NightRyder says:

Apparently, DD just got a $14M, four-year deal.

I’m told I might also like that.

34. ClutchNGrab says:

I’m puzzled, I was under the impression that all ufas were going to sign with Toronto.

35. frontenac1 says:

$1.5 million will snag us both Trevor Gillies and Kip Brennan. Lets go Marc! You are going to need some muscle to protect the little guys.

36. Fansincebirth says:

There’s going to be a fricken riot here in Ottawa
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Love it!

37. Whatever says:

Scuderi 4 years/13.5

38. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Alfredsson to the Red Wings warms my vicious heart.

I like Alfredsson, even though he has been a Habs killer. It’s nice to see him move to the city.

39. Habfan17 says:

Scuderi back with the Penguins

Habfan17

40. habsfan0 says:

Scuderi to the Penguins.
    Pittsburgh is now roughly $100m over the cap.

41. donmarco says:

Scuderi signs with Pens. Sorry Leafs. Hahahahaha

42. Habifax says:

who wins on dollars/goal? Gomez or Clowe?

43. ClutchNGrab says:

I feel ashamed to have taken the side of the owners during the last lockout. Ribeiro and Clowe getting overpaid by franchises struggling financially… wow.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I don’t think Ribeiro is overpaid. He’s been a very consistent point scorer over the last 6 years and was ppg last year.

• Led says:

They won’t control themselves, they’ll just do a clawback every 7 years, blame the players and keep raising ticket prices. This is why I can’t sympathize with them.

In addition, for 6 straight years Gary told everyone who would listen that the league was healthy, then the year the CBA expires he does a 180 and locks the players out to help save the league.

• neumann103 says:

Remember that next time.

Sure it is hard to have sympathy for players. And no they don’t “deserve” the insane rate of compensation, but it is what the market of buyers (the NHL teams) will pay, and those NHL teams totally lie about their hard luck story in staging these lockouts.

“Et le but!”

44. Un Canadien errant says:

Doug MacLean says Nathan Horton was an “intrical” part of the Bruins.

45. florida habs says:

Bouchard to NYI, one fighter down.

46. Kfourn says:

Rob Scuderi to Pittsburgh

_______________________________________________________

47. habsfan0 says:

Briere,Drewiske,Waite.

I hope MB isn’t through before he takes summer vacation.

48. krob1000 says:

Dreger spoiled all of this last night…he was right on virtualyl everything so far (Emery, Horton, CLowe,)

49. HabFanSince72 says:

Wow. Ryane Clowe

$4.85M/yr for 5 yrs. 3 goals in 40 games last year.

Clarkson has to get more right?

• SmartDog says:

Now doesn’t Briere look good?

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Obviously they’re hoping he regains his previous form. And let’s not forget he played most of last year with the Black Hole of hockey as his centre, Scott Gomez, the place where goals die.

• SmartDog says:

Good point. And the Devils know what a schmuck Gomez is. I’m sure they’ve watched his sharp trajectory into loser-land and just laughed.

————————————-
          Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

50. Whatever says:

Horton cap hit 5.3/year

51. ClutchNGrab says:

Pierre Marc Bouchard with Islanders

52. Stevie.Ray says:

Should MB inquire on Burmistrov if he wants a dman so badly?

53. Sportfan says:

Clowe with the Devils yes 4.8 million I wouldn’t have spent that on him frankly.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Habifax says:

for 3 goals???????

• NightRyder says:

So the genius Lamoriello signs 1,000-year-old Patrik Elias for big money; gives a three-year deal to the horrible Dainius Zubrus, gives a broken-down Clowe five years and will have a goaltending controversy on his hands when Brodeur gets pissy because Schneider gets more playing time.

Nice off-season. It’s almost like he’s getting ready to retire and wants the team to be so bad after he leaves that his legend will be maintained.

• habtastic74 says:

Yeah. I would love to have the guy, but I wouldn’t pay that much unless we were talking 2 years on term. Glad MB backed out of that one.

54. Maritime Ron says:

Ryane Clowe with Devils. 5 year / 4.85 AAV

55. Sportfan says:

Whats this about Bobby Ryan lol?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

56. NightRyder says:

Clowe to the Devils?

57. Habfan10912 says:

Suddenly DB’s contract looks tame. Geez.

58. Sportfan says:

Vancouver and Calgary want a 2nd 3rd line center give them DD for free!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

59. habs1992 says:

Making moves on Free Agency Day, sets your team back years, its honestly the days for losers,

I support Carey Price

60. donmarco says:

Horton gets 7 years from Columbus. Ridiculous. pM Bouchard to Rangers

61. Sportfan says:

WOW the Jackets signed Horton! 7 years

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

62. Hobie Hansen says:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 54s

Believe the Devils have agreed to terms with Ryane Clowe on five-year deal with Devils. Waiting for confirmation

63. florida habs says:

Horton cbj 7 yr deal

$40m

64. Habifax says:

if Bozak doesn’t resign and they lose out on Wiess and clarkson will they cancel the parade?????

65. Bripro says:

Nathan Horton to Columbus …. 7 years

66. Stimpy007 says:

Come on Bobby Ryan!!!

67. Ozmodiar says:

Stalberg or Morrow??

My money’s on Morrow. Character.

68. Psycho29 says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m

Ribeiro’s salary by year with PHX: $4.5M, $5.5M, $6M and $6M.

Just Crazy

69. habsfan0 says:

Today is hockey’s version of “Let’s Make A Deal.”

MB is still deciding between Doors No. 1,2, or 3.

70. Psycho29 says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m

Ribeiro’s four year deal in PHX has an AAV of $5.5M. Partial NMC/NTC.

71. NightRyder says:

Andre Benoit got more cash than Komisarek…

72. habs1992 says:

Has DD been traded yet?

I support Carey Price

73. Bripro says:

Under the category of grossly overpaid for underachieving:

Ribs at $5.5MM/yr for 4 years.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Ribeiro has 16th most points in the last 3 seasons (183 in 204 games). Ahead of Getzlaf, Toews, Brad Richards, Rick Nash, and many others…

74. donmarco says:

Oilers sign LaBarbera. Great backup. Guess Dub is now number 1.
    “Fans don’t boo nobodies”. Reggie Jackson