Brière agrees to two-year deal with Canadiens

The Canadiens announced on Thursday afternoon that free-agent Daniel Brière has agreed to a two-year deal with the team.

Brière, who turns 36 on Oct. 6, had his contract bought out by the Philadelphia Flyers on June 20.

In a statement released by the Canadiens, Brière said he was very excited at the opportunity to join the team.

“It’s an organization I looked up to throughout my youth and I really look forward to putting on the Habs jersey and contribute to the success of the team,”  Brière said.

Brière later spoke to reporters on a conference call Thursday evening from Hearst, Ont., where he was attending Flyers forward Claude Giroux’s golf tournament.

Asked by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey if he felt he had something to prove after a few seasons where his production has dipped a bit and with the Flyers buying him out, Brière said: “Yes, definitely.”

“Last year, especially, with the short season starting behind everybody because of injuries, I am definitely looking forward to bouncing back,” Brière added.

“I’ve done that my whole life. My whole career it’s always been about finding the motivation to bounce back. Coming to Montreal makes it really easy. First of all, having the chance to play for the Canadiens. I think there is no better motivation than that. And also making up on last season. It definitely was a season where I wasn’t happy with the way things went. And I’m going to do everything in my power to turn that around.”

Brière had played centre all his career prior to the past two seasons.

“So it’s maybe a little easier,” he said. “But I have no problem to play at centre or on the wing. It’s (coach Michel Therrien) that will decide all that. I have nothing to say on that side. I want to play where he thinks it will help the team the most.”

You can listen to more of what Brière said during the conference call by clicking here. (You may have to crank up the volume.)

“Daniel Brière brings a great deal of skills, experience and leadership to our team and he is a
significant addition to our group of forwards,” Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin said in the team’s statement.

“Daniel showed a great desire to pursue his career in Montreal and we are very happy that he committed to playing in Montreal for the next two seasons.”

A native of Gatineau, Brière has 286 career NHL goals in 847 games. In the postseason, the forward has 50 goals and 59 assists in 108 games played. Last season, the 5-foot-10, 179-pounder posted 6-10-16 totals and was minus-13 in 34 games with the Flyers.

While the Canadiens didn’t announce financial details, it is a two-year deal worth $8 million. Under new NHL rules this season, following the lockout, teams were permitted to talk to players and their agents as early as July 1, but no contracts can be officially signed until Friday.

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

Alfredsson signs with Red Wings as big free-agent names on the move, montrealgazette.com

Free agents signings tracker, NHL.com

Brière will earn $8 million on two-year deal with Habs, by Pat Hickey

Canadiens sign Brière to two-year deal, canadiens.com

Brière to join Canadiens with two-year contract, NHL.com

Bruins send Seguin to Stars in seven-player deal, NHL.com

re

2,638 Comments

1. Maksimir says:

Relax everyone – Mon doesn’t have the cap space for Bobby Ryan – unless they traded away Markov or Gionta and I am willing to bet Ana didn’t want them…

2. frontenac1 says:

I’m Hammered

3. bel33 says:

Le Sigh….

4. Ron says:

Yannick Webber to Van 650K

Boyd Gordon (who I like) got 9M for 3 years. That’s a bit out of my league.

6. Gerry H says:

The Ryan Deal is EXACTLY the kind of deal MB would never do. He’s got four years left @ over $5MM. Silferberg is on an EL contract and has huge upside AND they gave up a 1st.

7. Sportfan says:

I’m sad now

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

8. Captain aHab says:

Wow…that last one hurt quite a bit. Worried about a really bad trade now to try to make up.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

9. Dunboyne Mike says:

@ my friends Smart Dog, johnnylarue, Vancouverhab:

BEGGING to differ though I hold you all in very high esteem. Please pick a scenario:

1) Molson: “Marc, the job is yours.”
    MB (thought bubble): YES! My first GM job! I helped win a Cup in one restored-to-glory Original Six, now to do it myself in another, my home town to boot!

2) Molson: “Marc, the job is yours.”
    MB (thought bubble): YES! Now I can go home and fill the Habs roster with Quebecois players. Glory be, how they will remember me forever in the Belle Province! Yes, the man who brought back the Flying Frenchmen! No Cups, mind you! But hey, we all have different mountains to climb.

3) Molson: “Marc, the job is yours.”
    MB (thought bubble): YES! Now to visit Smart Dog, johnnylarue, and Vancouverhab to see which is better: aiming for Cups or signing lots of Quebecois. I sure could do with some direction on that one.

10. Luke says:

Wasn’t Anaheim aware we had DD, Moen and a 2nd rd pick available???!!!!!!!??????!!!!!

11. Bripro says:

For those who think Bergevin is a moron….
    You’re kidding, right? Have you been drinking this early?
    Take a look at what he has done (or not, unnecessarily).
    When Chicago’s Wirtz decided to bring in proper management (including MB) into the fold so that they could win their cup in 2010, they relied mostly on internal draft choices and young talent.
    They were able to pick these kids up because they had been so bad and allowed top draft picks.
    Well in his inaugural year as GM in Montreal, he drafted and played Chucky, decided to keep Gally, brought in Prust, seriously enhanced the scouting system, and brought in a coach that helped them finish FIRST in their division. In his first year.
    And take it as good or bad, he signed PK for two years at lower dollars with a decent bridge contract. This certainly helped this year’s cap situation. And I doubt he knew that PK would win the Norris, which will command more money. But whatever. That’s the price the team will pay. And they’ll pay it.
    This year, recognizing the need for size, he’s McCarron and De La Rose, both huge/big kids.
    So he hasn’t signed a big gun this year.
    He’s virtually guaranteed that Price won’t be worse this year with award-winning coaching in Waite.
    And he’s picked up a pair of sweet hands in Briere. We can only hope he stays healthy.
    And UFA dealings have only gone on for a few hours, and many posters are talking as if we’re facing Armageddon. Ridiculous.
    We have no idea what will transpire between now and the beginning of the season.
    We have no idea what will transpire between now and the playoffs.
    We don’t know if he’s trying to put together a blockbuster, or being wise and give it time to groom the kids.
    There are a lot of good young players coming up.
    Players who need to re-prove themselves (Leblanc, Blunden).
    Players who may or may not suffer the sophomore slump (the two Gallys).
    There are those who haven’t achieved their potential (Eller, Glachenyuk).
    And there are those reeling to show that they’ve slumped or were injured but know they’re much better (DD, Briere, Max).
    And finally you have players who just started to shine as the season finished who have good/great potential and size (Eller, Bourque, Subban).
    This team has decent potential with some very good players.
    I think MB sees that. He sees the team’s potential. And he’s not willing to blow it up, or waste money just because impatient fans want that big trade. It’s smart business.

12. Bill says:

That’s scant return for Ryan, IMO. The 1st rounder is nice. But if I’m a Ducks fan I’m not happy.

• Habfan17 says:

In fact, they received 2 first round picks and a high second. That is pretty good to me.

Habfan17

• Strummer says:

It’s a salary dump first and foremost.
      All their eggs were in the Perry/Getzlaf basket

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

I can’t remember the last time there was this much action around the NHL. UFAs are one thing but major deals have gone down this week.

• Strummer says:

can’t wait for next post-lockout- compliance- buyout festival

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

14. Sportfan says:

I pretty sure we could have put in prospects and ready to play players for Ryan. This is disappointing.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

15. krob1000 says:

nevermind..hadn’t refreshed

16. habs1992 says:

What a joke MB, ARE YOU AWAKE.

I support Carey Price

17. on2ndthought says:

Coburn romours are intriguing, but who do we trade? Without Pronger, Coburn is the Flyers best physical D, and has a decent long term contract. Philly covets Subban, is this the trade you would make? Not me.
    Not crazy about Briere signing, Matt Cooke, Dan Cleary are available, might come cheaper than some.

“a cannonading drive”

18. jols101 says:

Bobby F’n Ryan to the Sens. Why can’t the Habs make a deal for a player like him instead of all these undersized softies.

19. Adidess says:

If the Sens get Bobby Ryan, we might as well tank. Hard Habits, I’m ready!

20. habs1992 says:

So every team is getting better BUT us. WOW

I support Carey Price

21. badbalance says:

Bobby Ryan for Silfverberg and a 1st rounder…. We could better that….

22. thehabsfan29 says:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!! HOW DID THE HABS NOT OUTBID THE SENS!!

SILVERBERG,1ST,NOESEN for Ryan

We could HAVE EASILY outbid the sens

So Disappointing!!!

23. ClutchNGrab says:

Latest rumor, Bobby Ryan to Ottawa.

24. Harditya says:

Bobby Ryan to the Ottawa Senators for Silverberg, Noesen and a 1st rd pick… WOWW!!!

25. HabFab says:

Without having to read 2400 posts. Who did we get today?

26. Gerry H says:

Hmm. Whither Iggy?

27. Habfan17 says:

Watching Marc Crawford on TSN with that hair doo, his nickname should be porcupine!

Habfan17

28. Mr. Biter says:

No offer sheet for Ryan M from the Rangers. Interesting.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

29. mdp2011 says:

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 51s
    Sources say Senators have acquired Bobby Ryan. Details coming. #Sens

Well that makes up for losing Alfredson, wow!!!

30. Welks says:

I would like to see Douglas Murray get a 2 or 3 yr deal from the Habs. I would also sign Theo Peckham to a 2year and see if a change of scenery helps him out. That would build the depth needed and get the team bigger. The Drewski contract is a AHL depth deal and I don’t see him as a viable 7th D. Tinordi can spend another year getting bigger stronger in the AHL. Bouillon or Peckham can play sixth spot until Emelin returns and then alternate the 7th slot with Diaz based on play. Bouillon\Diaz\Markov\Emelin are all UFA after next year and PK is RFA. They can retool after next year with a some your talent from Hamilton. Based on how the Markov injury ran over the years I would rather them be cautious with Emelin and not rush him back

2013-2014
    Subban Georges
    Markov Murray\Emelin
    Diaz Murray\ (Bouillon)
    Peckham

31. thehabsfan29 says:

Rumor has it Bobby Ryan was traded to the Sens

32. Mattyleg says:

Not sure why people are complaining so much.

Our ‘small’ team finished in 2nd place in the East.
    There is no indication that ‘large’ players are more effective in the playoffs, except in some people’s fantasies.

People need to stop obsessing over size and look at how our team can get better without overpaying for oafish 3rd line players, which seems to be the order of the day.

Bergevin’s doing a great job in my opinion, and his work isn’t finished yet, even though many people on here seem to think it is after every move he makes.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• twilighthours says:

Without wading in to the size argument (which I think is very valid), I’d just ask you to remember the last few weeks of this season. We looked nothing like a 2nd place team.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Remember the Bruins in that same period, Twi? They did not look like Cup finalists either. Further, the Hawks weren’t that big. I agree with you, we don’t at the moment have enough size. But I believe even one or two large pieces would make a difference — not necessary to try and emulate Boston imo.

• habs1992 says:

I agree that now the grinder (Who people say you need) are getting way overpaid, people are overhyping them so they are getting more then they are worth, right now is the time for the 3rd liner, I think its just a phase.

I support Carey Price

• habs001 says:

That is true..but they finished second by dominating the non playoff teams ..they were 500 vs playoff teams..also many of the games in the regular season had limited intensity which helped the skilled Habs…in the playoffs the teams get away with brutal hitting and pounding…pp are at a premium despite so many illegal fouls…Habs lineup cannot survive this without injuries…

33. thehabsfan29 says:

Nystrom 4yrs/2.5 per with preds

How is Nystrom worth 2.5? This contract makes the moen contract look pretty good

34. La Duke 16 says:

At this point I am not planning on buying Center Ice Package next year.

Our guys will get beat to a pulp and unable to play. We will see the same slide after the first 40 games that we saw this year – except it will be a full 82 game season this year!!

Price might be an MVP thru the first 35 games of the year, and then get lit up the entire second half of the season… May be moved at the trade deadline!

35. Un Canadien errant says:

The dirt on Tyler Séguin’s “immaturity”.

Which makes you wonder, why not leave a kid in junior for an extra year, or in college, and let them be kids, get the partying and craziness out of their system? Tyler Séguin turned pro at 18, and immediately had to act like a banker, eating right, sleeping, abstaining from drinking, going out. His buddies are probably having more fun than he is right now.

36. thebonscott says:

ok, so all this overpaying and terrible contracts that these GM’s are handing out, will handcuff them from being able to sign there up and coming players, which we can them poach from them. How long before nashville and new jersey have to offload salary, wouldn’t mind having gabriel bourque and travis zajac.

GET BIGGER, GET TOUGHER, GET EVEN.

37. SmartDog says:

Q. If Briere wasn’t Pure Leine would he have been signed in Montreal?
    A: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. A thousand times out of a thousand NOOOO!

I used to like Bergevin. Now I see him as just a homer. He’s a marketing guy as much as anything, good with the spin. His Quebec player bias is pitiful. The two worst contracts on the Habs right now are two small centers. Ridiculous.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

38. habs1992 says:

Talbot is completly USELESS, can’t skate, can’t hit, can’t fight, can’t shoot, this would be worse then Briere.

I support Carey Price

39. SmartDog says:

5 QUESTIONS:
    1. Thumbs up or down on Briere? Way up or way down?
    2. How many goals would Briere need to score this year for you to see this as maybe at least a good signing?
    3. Would you want any of the other deals you’ve heard about today?
    4. Will we have another signing today?
    5. Are you confident MB will sign at least one big gritty top 9F or top 4D before the season starts?
    SD
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Rugger says:

1 horizontal
      2 15-18
      3 hendricks maybe scudori
      4 yes nothing big – 4th line filler
      5 sign no, trade for at least one of the two

• Haborama says:

1. Way WAY down, I like the player, but we do not have the size to protect him.
      2. about 20-25
      3. The Scuderi deal, and the Hendriks deal
      4. I hope so
      5. not at all, I question his motivation and knowledge.

• mksness says:

1. thumbs down
      2. 25
      3. maybe clarvkson
      4. no
      5. no, will have to come via trade.

• junyab says:

5 QUESTIONS:
      1. I’m cool with it…didn’t cost us anything but extra cap room.
      2. >24
      3. Bozak
      4. One very minor player
      5. No

• twilighthours says:

1) no, but could be fine if trades shake up the forwards
      2) 24
      3) I would take clarkson for 5mil per
      4) no
      5) no

Despite all of this, Bergevin certainly isn’t a moron. I’d still rather have him running my team instead of timo or haborama

• thehabsfan29 says:

1.Way up. Very happy with the Briere signing. I think he will be a great addition. Good price also compared to the other ridiculous signings today
      2. I would say 20-25 goals.
      3. Nope.
      4. Yes, Teubert,Fistric or Mueller will sign here but I think the habs are more likely to make a trade.
      (Only players I’m thinking is Perron Or Stewart)
      5. I think it’s more likely to land a top9F then a top 4D

• petefleet says:

Good questions.

1. Thumb slightly up. Could be a good acquisition or a dud.
      2. 25 more than he’s on the ice for against.
      3. Horton could have been good for us, Alfredson too.
      4. Not likely
      5. No, not confident. I do believe he will try. I’d like to see a trade for a top 6/9 forward with size. I think the D are in a good place right now.

******************************************
      I haven’t been wrong in a long time…..not feeling like today is the day.

***Go Habs Go***

• johnnylarue says:

1. I’m going out on a limb and saying thumbs halfway up.

2. I’d see it as a very good signing for 20 goals/60 points. Acceptable at 50 points. Anything under 50 turns into a pure PR signing.

3. No. No thank you.

4. We might, but I’m thinking Bergevin goes the trade route from here on in.

5. Bergevin needs to address the glaring hole on D (with Emelin out) or the glaring size deficiency AT MINIMUM to prove that he takes his job seriously.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

1. Thumbs down. Not necessarily a bad signing so much as it is a bad signing for the Habs. How many more years do we have to put up with these tiny forwards before the team wakes up and realizes that you need size to win. A few small guys is okay, but 4 top 6 forwards under 5’10 is beyond ridiculous.
      2. 25
      3. Scuderi or Ference. Make better sense for the teams that signed them than the Habs though.
      4. No.
      5. No, but he should. Feel a trade is more likely.

Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

• Dunboyne Mike says:

As @johnnylarue.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

1.Thumb up, but just one thumb
      2. 48 points
      3. Alfredsson for sure, maybe Horton (I’m only counting guys who changed teams)
      4.NO
      5.What “big gritty top 9F or top 4D” could he possibly sign?

• JUST ME says:

1 – up (mildly)
      2- 25
      3- not for those prices and lenght
      4- sure hope so !
      5- yes i think…

• neumann103 says:

1. Thumbs up or down on Briere? Way up or way down?
      Down. Moderately down. An unnecessary move to add a player who is bad defensively and will have to be sheltered. Limited impact due to term and dollars, plus may allow Desharnais to be moved.

If he gets between 15-20 goals AND is not a major defensive liability I would be ecstatic. It is the latter part that will be more difficult

3. Would you want any of the other deals you’ve heard about today?
      I guess Stalberg, MacArthur and Hannan come to mind.
      EDIT: Alfie for 1 year !

4. Will we have another signing today?

No/. I am confident that the team starting the 2014/2015 Season will be much better.

“Et le but!”

Oh FFS. Now RDS is saying that Habs would be very interested in Talbot. I say ONLY if DD goes the other way. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUAAAHHH!!!!

RDS crew needs a box of cleenex now.

41. mdp2011 says:

Marc Antoine Godin ‏@MAGodin 48s
    Mon collègue Martin McGuire soutient que le Canadien tente de mettre la main sur Brayden Coburn des Flyers.

42. thehabsfan29 says:

Blues now 0/3 today on landing a center.

Maybe they will take DD?

Detroit, Toronto and Columbus have certainly laid down the gauntlet. Makes it pretty obvious that the Habs are strictly a rebuilding team who will be life and death to make the playoffs this year.

I sure hope Carey Price can rediscover his game.

• mrhabby says:

right on..agree there Steve..a little depressing so far.

• mksness says:

wouldn’t we want carey to mail it in for a few years for some good draft picks if we’re re-building?

you know what. lots of insane money being paid for 20 goal scorers.

• junyab says:

LOL…since when does spending money make you NOT life and death to make the playoffs.

Montreal > Toronto (Still)
      Montreal > Columbus (Still)
      Detroit > Montreal (until 2015)

• petefleet says:

You know what, if CP plays the way he’s paid to, we’re in the playoffs. Period. There is no shortage of talent and skill on the Habs. STOP THE PUCK for CH***T SAKE.

******************************************
      I haven’t been wrong in a long time…..not feeling like today is the day.

***Go Habs Go***

44. otisfxu says:

And shutting down the league for 4 months did what? oh right, no more contracts over 5 years, get the owners out of their mess,,,,no wait,

45. Un Canadien errant says:

When does Taro Tsujimoto turn UFA?

46. thehabsfan29 says:

Filppula to TB 5yrs/5Mil Per

Filppula is not worth 5 Mil.

Filppula in my opinion is Leino 2.0

47. Steeltown Hab says:

I really don’t trust MB to make a great move and assume he’ll maybe add a 4th liner. Won’t add a depth Dman now that we have Bouillon, Drewiskie.

I think we’re pretty much done.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

48. Kfourn says:

Reporter: “David Clarkson 7 years @ 36.75M and Bozak 5 years @ 21M…This is madness”

Nonis: “THIS IS SPARTA!” *boots the reporter in the chest

_______________________________________________________
    Well, he’s kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace “accidentally” with “repeatedly” and replace “dog” with “son.”

“It’s sad when our rookies have no NHL experience before they jump up to the NHL.” – nunacanadien

49. mrhabby says:

i do not understand right now (that could change) what seems our outright refusal to complete physically with some of these other teams..bruins , leafs , sens etc, etc…..depression setting in.

• Timo says:

Maybe Habs need a GM who is a former small player who used to get pounded every time they stepped on the ice. Perhaps that GM will understand the value big aggressive players bring and won’t stock a team with a bunch of midgets.

• Haborama says:

Bergevin thinks he’s Ghandi, it’s a little disquieting.

• Ron says:

It is only the 1st day but so many have passed by in this draft that one has too wonder what he thinks. MT can’t like seeing his players beat around like last season. Something has to be in the wings. If nothing then HH and the tank crew will be in heaven. Depressing.

• junyab says:

You can’t sign FA’s to get your team bigger…you’d have to overspend on every single player. You have to make a large change through the draft.

• BCG says:

I’ve watched and rooted for the Habs since the 70’s, and my humble opinion is that the Habs (and Quebecois culture) is stuck in the idea on how the Habs beat the Bruins. Skill over size. I also think that the organization is now operating like the Leafs – it’s a business that cares about how to make money over winning a Cup i.e. tapping into (nationalistic) pride to draw fans vs. drawing fans through winning. It’s a proven, safe business model and I can’t blame them for using it. I do, however, blame fans for falling for it…. it’s sports guys – it doesn’t have any meaning in real life.

I sort of dissed TML, but I have to say I like their signings more than Montreal’s activity… they overpaid, but I’m not paying for it (I no longer attend live games or buy merchandise).

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hi BCG,
        In the 70s I thought we matched Boston and Philly for physicality. We had wonderful skill, but we also had imposing players ready to act as required.
        As for playing for profit rather than Cups, that is the sad truth, it is an NHL thing, and Toronto are pitiable victims of capitalist screwing of fans’ undying loyalty and hope. Have we quite got there yet? Is Molson in that category?

• BCG says:

Hi Dunboyne,

I agree that “the Flying Frenchmen” were more than just skill. What I meant was the physical aspect is being lost with the focus on Lafleur (my idol), Shutt and Boom Boom. I would love if we would start focussing on rebuilding that balance again. MB may think he’s doing that through a focus on character (over size).

Is Molson in that category? For me – the question is ‘why wouldn’t they be’? They are a public company accountable to their shareholders. And – do I have evidence for contrary?

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I despise the league and actually pity the Leafs (having read Fechuk’s “Leaf Abomination”), but I hold out a naive hope that Molson is different, all the while suppressing the realisation that, as you suggest, there’s no reason to believe he is. Sigh.

• BCG says:

Sorry Dunboyne :)

FWIW – I still enjoy the game itself. I just don’t attach myself to it, or to the business it has become. It’s like cheering for a corporation for me…. but without the game part.

Cheers mate.

50. habstrinifan says:

Well I’m going for a NAP. Bergevin refuses to take my calls.

51. McHab4Life says:

Nothin so far from MB……. Hellooooooo….. Laffs just got bigger and grittier….. Is that in our plans at all MB?

• Timo says:

Yeah, but how much character did they get? Do they have the balance? How does their future look?

Thought so…

• mchenske4 says:

sigh…guess not. Time to trot out the old speech the Habs use every year at the time. “We tried to….blah,blah,blah

• Luke says:

IIRC Clarkson, while gritty as all heck is only a couple inches taller than Briere and weighs less than Boullion.

170points in 426 games. 5.5million/season. One 30 goal season. No other 20 goal seasons…

Solid player and all that. But the only reason he is getting this much press is because of how weak the free agent crop is this year. (IMO).

• sackabooboo says:

If Bergevin would have signed any of these players that are getting scooped up this board would have been up in arms with the amount of money spent on Clarkson or Clowe….

There may be a reason why we don’t get calls from MB asking our opinions…other than the fact he doesn’t have our numbers….just sayin’….

_______________________________________________________
      Let’s trade Price…been a long time since the Habs have been fleeced….I miss it.

52. habstrinifan says:

All E12!

Habs ink Iginla to 1yr 3 mill.
    Habs trade Gionta and LeBlanc and 5th rnd pick to Wild for Perron. (I know you are scratching your heads here but MB is one devious kinda guy).
    Habs tell Tinordi to go house hunting in Mtl.

53. Sportfan says:

I hope at one point or another MB can add another grit guys. cause honestly Prust will not be around by the end of the season if he has no helpt. I mean not around injury wise.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

54. The Jackal says:

@Ncognito – blasphemy! MB knows more than the posters here!? He is smart!? What!!??

Lol. Seriously. MB has done well. There is no point to spending so much on these players. We are not contenders and we have what we need in the pipelines. It makes no sense to waste salary space and term on players that will not put us over the top.

Briere was a good deal. He replaces Ryder and is better than him anyway. He has a low hit and term to boot. We need to remain competitive but we are not contenders. Splurging on these over priced players is not going to help us out. The laffs just shot themselves in the foot with those deals.

55. Psycho29 says:

Chris Cuthbert ‏@CCtsn 46s

From TSNResearch so far NHL eastern teams have spent 183.5 million western teams 105.1m

It’s nuts I tells ya!!!!

56. mchenske4 says:

Annnnnnnnd…… we got nuthin’ :(

57. yakhab says:

We’ve secured all the dwarves
    MB needs to sign …..
    Snow White !

58. Sportfan says:

Pleks for Backes and a pick do it !

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

59. CharlieHodgeFan says:

If you look over the list – a lot of good players are going to teams they will improve. However, are they good signings? In Cap-land, a lot of teams are busily knotting their shoelaces together before heading out to the dance.
    Clarkson is a ludicrous deal in length, and Clowe appears Neo-Gomezian.
    I like Briere at 2 years. It’s an interesting exercise to forget the cash and look at what really matters to us all – time. Signing a guy for seven or five years?

60. otisfxu says:

Is Bergevin visiting the troops in Afghanistan?

61. 25Stanleycups says:

Detroit already good, gets a lot more experience with Alfie remaining in the East, Columbus gets better up front with Horton, regardless of overpaying, and have Bob in net who may just be the real deal, another season like last will certainly tell, also moving to the East.

The East has perennial playoff contenders in Boston, Pittsburgh, Washington, Philly, and Jersey already. The 2 later clubs only missing the playoffs for the second time in 20 seasons, last season. That leaves Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Islanders, Tampa Bay, Buffalo, Rangers, Carolina & last but not least Florida to fight for the last playoff spot or two, most of whom are no better or worse then each other.

Sure hope Price gets a hell of alot better, with our crappy defense that most seem to think we have, that hasn’t changed a bit at this point, spending our Kaberle cap dollars on Briere.

Who’s going to help our pedigree goalie out? New goaltending coach, better be able to work miracles out, otherwise team won’t even get a chance to lose 4 out of 5 against Ottawa.

• Chris says:

Montreal is in much better shape than New Jersey, moving forwards. We’re building, they are declining. There is a reason that Bergevin is willing to stand pat on UFA day while New Jersey is going wild over-paying players.

Washington is an enigma. They can play lights out, and they can stink out the joint. Boston has suffered a pretty heavy blow to their vaunted depth: losing Seguin, Ference, Peverley and Horton while gaining Eriksson.

Philly should be a lot better, but their goaltending remains a major question mark with Emery and Mason as their go-to guys.

• 25Stanleycups says:

Not disagreeing, however Jersey at least hedged their bets a bit by picking Clowe up in a loss for Clarkson. And Philly, will have goalie tryouts, with Emery, Mason, and Danis. One of them is bound to come through.

As far as Washington, i’ll give you this, now that the Southeast no longer exists they will be more vulnerable.

Still 6th place to 16th in the East doesn’t have much between each other, and will be coin flips, and shootouts deciding those last couple spots.

• Bripro says:

Totally agree Chris.
        Especially on Philly’s luck (or lack thereof) in goal.
        And I would go so far as to add that the Leafs will be a
        tougher opponent.
        Now, I’ll go wash my mouth out.

62. H.Upmann says:

It’s just like gambling with these GMs, except it’s not their own money. Maybe it’s just me but I feel like these UFAs getting signed today are deals that are overpaid by almost 1.5 to 2 times their actual value. Not to jump on the cliche bandwagon, but today reinforces the point for me about building through the draft. Hopefully guys like McCarron and Crisp make it up to play with Prust etc. So that when UFA time comes, we’re trying to land top line players…

63. thehabsfan29 says:

Nystrom To Preds

64. The Dude says:

The TANK is on …….Habs are gonna be BEAT DOWN all season long!

65. Ncognito says:

Today’s deals makes DD’s 3.5 per year look like a steal.
    maybe MB is smarter than all you guys :-)

• Haborama says:

I would take Clarkson at 6M over DD at 3.5M

call me crazy, but Clarkson brings a lot more to the table.

It’s still over-payment though, but you could always use an amnesty buyout once he starts to decline.

• Luke says:

No doubt.
      That 4.5 for Bozak is awful. He isn’t an improvement over DD. Basically he provides less offense (but close – career high 47points, matched DD’s 28 last season) and he’s better at faceoffs… for a million more.
      Wow.
      Nonis should have locked him up mid-season…

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

Will there be another amnesty buyout? It’s not a regular feature of the league. The seven year deal he got was incompetent management of a team’s resources.

66. Chris says:

Weiss will fit in very well on Detroit: he lets Zetterberg move back to LW full-time.

Alfredsson is a bit of an odd move. The Red Wings need to get younger, and they sign a 40 year old.

67. Haborama says:

What a mess, we can’t get anyone it seems.

Free Agent Signing does not = ridiculous splash

It could mean a valuable depth signing like what the preds did with Hendricks.

• HabFanSince72 says:

There’s no one to get. The “marquis” free agent was David Clarkson. The top D-man was Rob Scuderi.

• Timo says:

So why didn’t Habs get Scuderi? He’d be Habs #2 dman instantly. Yes, Habs would have to pay a big dollar. What’s of it? After all they did pay Briere 4 mil.

• B says:

Perhaps Scuderi just didn’t want to choose Montreal over LA or Pittsburgh?

–Go Habs Go!–

• Timo says:

Perhaps Mtl did not offer enough. NHLers are money whores and every player will sign anywhere, even in Winnipeg, if the money is right.

• Luke says:

I know! and Scuderi was all like:

“The only team I am willing to negoiate with is the Habs! No one else needs to call me. I’m only talking to Marc Bergevin!”

And MB was all like: “non”

True story.

68. Gerry H says:

Once again, Ken Holland does things no other GM seems able to do. Luring Alfie and signing Weiss at under $5MM in this environment stand out like a rose in a dandelion patch.

69. Luke says:

This “Gill re-signs with the Habs” story is really going to mess some people up today…

• Hstands4Hockey says:

I would love it! Great character guy and fills a huge PK (See what I did there) role which we desperately needed last year. 1-2 years at 1.5 mil would be a steal. Mentored PK and now he can mentor Tinordi.

Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

70. HabFanSince72 says:

Stephen Weiss $5M for 5 years????

71. Un Canadien errant says:

The hamsters are getting tired. Getting the error message page when I refresh.

Little Timmy O’Toole is is golden though. He’s going to Disney Land, had a new kidney bolted on, met his favourite Gentilles Alouettes, ….

72. thehabsfan29 says:

Hendricks to Preds

4yrs/1.85 per

73. Mr. Biter says:

WHERE’S THE BEEF?

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

74. Stevie.Ray says:

Calgary still needs a center. They have anyone we might want?