Breezer, Summit, a yodelling Huet

Frozen in time: the McFarlane figure of Cristobal Huet as a Canadien.

Not saying that it’s a challenge to link you to Canadiens news these days, but we’re really ready at HIO Central for a little hockey.

To start: La Presse reports today that René Angélil is negotiating Guy Lafleur’s ambassadorship contract renewal with the Habs. (What a hammer Angélil holds: “Sign the Flower or my wife, Céline Dion, will sing at the Bell Centre!”)

• Former Habs defenceman Patrice Brisebois is at the L’Équipeur store on Hymus Blvd. in Montreal-suburban Pointe-Claire this morning from 10 a.m. to noon. He’ll be signing autographs and racing remote cars in advance of this weekend’s NASCAR races – today’s parking-lot race winner earns $500 that will go to the Support Our Troops initiative. All welcome.

• Lots of talk, but how much action at World Hockey Summit? | Red Fisher | Bruce Arthur | Jeff Marek

Cristobal Huet seems bound for Switzerland

• 42 candles on the cake today of Benoît Brunet

No tire-kickers yet for Oilers’ ex-Habs defenceman Sheldon Souray

• Randy Phillips checks in on the Montreal Juniors training camp, featuring Habs prospect Louis Leblanc.

1. Nina76 says:

Aerobiz……..I agree with yoiu 100% about Guy he has said. alot of things about our Habs [NASTY comments]……………..some I do not undserstand how he can say some of the mean comments, sometimes I wonder where his heart is disqualify him for sure…….HE GOT OFF SCOTT FREE BECAUSE OF THE NAME @ nothing else……………………………GO HABS GO!!!!!!! WIN OR LOSE YOU ARE MY TEAM

2. madcap_habsfan says:

my feelings(after watching The Score and them talking about next year’s crop of ufa’s because they’re better then what we had this year) are this…i seriously hope we don’t loose markov, for what amount of money should we keep him? i don’t know as long as we do

-“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” Chuck Palahniuk

3. LA Loyalist says:

Well I’m keeping $29.95 handy ($45.95 in Canada) for Bob Gainey’s memoirs explaining himself, I sure hope he writes it.

Maybe if it was explained from behind the scenes I could find peace with what he did.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

4. Dr-Watson says:

I think what he was implying by the word nag was your repetitive postings on Carey Price and if you were then to use it somewhere in describing or as a reference to someone else.

5. Mark C says:

The Habs had the cap space to keep Halak, money wasn’t the biggest issue. Hell, if Montreal needs cap space they can just send Hamrlik down the AHL, and bingo $5.5M off the books. Use $2M-$3M to replace Hamrlik’s declining production (if you don’t want to use an AHLer) and there’s $3M. Cap money can always be found.

6. Bill J says:

Thumbs Up Brad.

And hopefully you will not need to rant come November 😉

Go Habs Go

7. LA Loyalist says:

Well for an extra $3M we could have kept Halak. I’m just sayin…

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

8. LA Loyalist says:

Well, that was an impressive rant, though I don’t think I used the word “nag”.

Anyway, I’ve suspended criticism of Price until the 20 game mark. I hope he does great, I am happy to be wrong.

If Price is first on the ice and last off at practices then that will tell us what we need to know.

Otherwise we’re screwed.

As for Gomez? Well, his performance speaks for itself. Let’s hope he shows up this year beyond cashing his cheques.

Thanks for playing!

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

9. Omit says:

JD

I thoroughly enjoy your posts.  It’s very difficult to be funny and smart on a consistent basis like you are. Keep them coming.

10. observer says:

Gauthier will have a different policy than Gainey about signing players during the season.======== that’s what gauthier himself indicated at that gainey step back press conference last spring and then he did negotiate with plekanec for awhile until they stopped.

11. patrice brisebois says:

Yeah,can’t you tell. Last place in goals against. Now they want to trade the only guy who can only hope to make a glorious outlet pass.

12. avatar_58 says:

Seguin better get used to it, he’ll see it often

13. Storm Man says:

Don’t tell me you did not put a team in. Mike it is the same way for hockey as baseball on ESPN. I posted when the league was ready 5 times in the past 24 hours and I don’t have anyway to get in contact with you.

14. Mr-T says:

In reference to question #2 as Alex the host of Jeopardy would reply, the answer is, 90 % of the member’s on HI/O when you submit an amoral and stupid question such as this.  The quiz show is always looking for contestants who are ingenious, knowledgeable and intelligent. Unfortunately you do not qualify. Present yourself with a little decorum when you post, instead of with your usual infantile, pugnacious and degrading remark’s of  Price and Gomez or any other player. You may want to be a little more judicious the next time that you use the word nag.

Support Carey Price         “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

15. RGM says:

I don’t know if you ever read any of the Engels comment threads, but it’s about 8% Habs, 13% pictures of boobs, and 79% stuff that would get you banned from HI/O.

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

16. Mark C says:

Not sure how someone who has over 600 NHL points has not earned his crust, also I see no reason to blame Gomez for signing his contact. How has Gomez’ contract handcuffed Montreal’s payroll flexibility, to date? Yes, he’s overpriced, but Montreal needed a player like Gomez, he plays an important role that would have cost at least $3-$4M to fill. I’m not sure that not having that extra money has hurt, yet.

Wasn’t going to the ECF in the first post-blowup season some sort of indication that the extreme moves were needed? The pre-blowup edition never made it near that fair.

Moore? Lars Eller will likely make you forget about him by Thanksgiving.

17. BJT says:

1. Who will lead the Canadiens in scoring this season?

2. What are your expectations for Subban’s rookie season?

3. Who from the Hamilton Bulldogs do you believe would most benefit the Habs roster if he were placed on it this season?

4. Will Pouliot or AK silence their critics this season?

5. Who’s your pre-season favourite for team MVP?

Bonus Question: Prospect you’ve got your eye on the most in Junior/AHL/Wherever?

——–

My answers:

1. 1st: Pleks, 25 G – 52 A, 2nd: Gomez, 21 G, 53 A, 3rd: Cammy, 37 G – 32 A

2. 10+ goals, 20+ A, calder candidate, possible winner.

3. Unanimous: Ryan White

4. AK will be the same I think, a quiet 20+ goals. Whereas I’m hoping for 25 from Pouliot.

5. Probably Cammy.

Prospect I’ll be watching: Avtsin and if he counts, Lars Eller.

BONUS: Who do I predict for captain? No idea but I’d love to see Gorges get it.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry

18. Muckbringer says:

pk’s pass to himself around seguin in slow mo is just too much!!!

19. pic1983 says:

Gomez didnt handcuff our financial flexibility, Bob Gainey did.  He was the one who traded for Gomez, and knew exactly what he was getting in the deal.

20. HabsMitch says:

Not sure if everyones see this, but it’s from the biosteel camp!

Cammy races, and PK and Tyler Seguin play keep away at the end. Pretty cool

21. pic1983 says:

Dude koivu plays for the ducks now, and gomez plays for us, just in case you missed the memo or have been living under a rock.  Also, Gomez is taller than koivu, you gonna call koivu a smurf?

Didnt think so.

22. The Cat says:

I would agree with number 2 but after seeing Chicago unload their players, I wonder if teams will go through the win at all costs thing from now ie the thing they wont want to give up is their draft picks.

23. pic1983 says:

1) Make best efforts to re-sign him.  I dont want a cap hit of more than $6 million though.

2) I think a trade deadline day deal of a young roster defenseman, a prospect and a 1st round pick are easily attainable.

3) very low.  If we offer him a fair deal hes not going anywhere.

24. LA Loyalist says:

G*d we have to re-sign Markov. Aside from his own performance and example on ice (just look at our record without him) short-term mentoring PK, remember we have Tinordi coming, who looks like the real deal and we DON’T want to rush him.

We need more than one stud on the defence if we want to win another cup. The Big 3 were not the Big 1 or the Big 2.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

25. LA Loyalist says:

I apologize for jumping to contusions. I didn’t want anyone to think I was pounding on Gomez simply because of his size. I’m pounding him because he hasn’t earned his crust, not even close, and has handcuffed our financial flexibility. I would send him to Switzerland just like Huet to get him off our cap.

I’ve admired lots of smaller players since I was a kid, going back to Henri Richard, Cornoyer and Davey Keon.

And I want to be fair. I remember Leaf fans when I was a kid howling at Frank Mahovolich for not trying. He was such a smooth and beautiful skater it looked like he wasn’t breaking a sweat. Highly unfair to him.

I guess I still haven’t got over blowing up the team last summer, which I consider to be a total panic move (though again to be fair BG may have had knowledge of stuff we won’t know until he writes his memoirs, if then, which would totally justify what he did), but I felt last year we had a team comprised of spare parts and bin bits. Then, when it looks like we are getting somewhere, we dump Halak and Domenic Moore. Yeah, capology and all that, blah, blah, blah.

I guess my grievance is mostly with management and their lack of patience and incomprehensible judgement.

I hope they prove me wrong this year. I think we’ll know well before X-Mas. Sorry for getting excited.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

26. mike g says:

Yo…

How do I join the league?

Are you gonna send me an invite or something?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

27. K-hab25 says:

(1) Resign, 4 years 24 mill (2) We wouldn’t get back in a trade anything even close to what he’s worth to us. (3) I’d say a little less than the risk of losing Plekanec was. I think he wants to stay and as long as he’s payed fairly, he will.

28. avatar_58 says:

So try Pacioretty at defence and snub Weber, Carle and the rest? Sorry I disagree. If he has no scoring touch he’s a 3rd/4th liner. We have to accept the fact that it doesn’t matter which round he was drafted in nor how much hype was produced – he may just be a low end type of player.

29. SeriousFan09 says:

His original post said to PHI for Carter and then he edited it.

Still wouldn’t make that deal, the team needs Markov right now, especially in Subban’s start in the NHL. Subban getting to pick Markov’s brain about playing defence at the NHL, can’t be accurately valued.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

30. volcano62 says:

I posted Markov for Carter but then changed my mind for the reasons mentioned above.

31. Rugger says:

1. Agree, Pleks, 28 goals, 52 assists.

2. 12 goals, 36 assists

3.  White

4.  Yes, both

5.  Close but I’ll take Pleks over Cammy.

Bonus – Shultz

32. SeriousFan09 says:

Hey, someone dumps on Koivu I’m right here with you to tell ’em to shut the hell up.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

33. The Cat says:

He said St.Louis not Philadelphia.

34. CP31 says:

I think you are totally bang on with #3 – Ryan White.

I’ve watched a few live Bulldogs games last year and loved his grit. He can also take faceoffs and can score especially “dirty” goals. Him and Moen I think are very similar but White is quicker, more skilled and naturally younger. He’s a perfect guy for our team.

I’m really hoping that White plays with the big boys next year, most likely 4th line (possibly 3rd?!?!?!)