Breezer, Summit, a yodelling Huet

Frozen in time: the McFarlane figure of Cristobal Huet as a Canadien.

Not saying that it’s a challenge to link you to Canadiens news these days, but we’re really ready at HIO Central for a little hockey.

To start: La Presse reports today that René Angélil is negotiating Guy Lafleur’s ambassadorship contract renewal with the Habs. (What a hammer Angélil holds: “Sign the Flower or my wife, Céline Dion, will sing at the Bell Centre!”)

• Former Habs defenceman Patrice Brisebois is at the L’Équipeur store on Hymus Blvd. in Montreal-suburban Pointe-Claire this morning from 10 a.m. to noon. He’ll be signing autographs and racing remote cars in advance of this weekend’s NASCAR races – today’s parking-lot race winner earns $500 that will go to the Support Our Troops initiative. All welcome.

• Lots of talk, but how much action at World Hockey Summit? | Red Fisher | Bruce Arthur | Jeff Marek

Cristobal Huet seems bound for Switzerland

• 42 candles on the cake today of Benoît Brunet

No tire-kickers yet for Oilers’ ex-Habs defenceman Sheldon Souray

• Randy Phillips checks in on the Montreal Juniors training camp, featuring Habs prospect Louis Leblanc.

1. Muckbringer says:

pk’s pass to himself around seguin in slow mo is just too much!!!

2. pic1983 says:

Gomez didnt handcuff our financial flexibility, Bob Gainey did.  He was the one who traded for Gomez, and knew exactly what he was getting in the deal.

3. HabsMitch says:

Not sure if everyones see this, but it’s from the biosteel camp!

Cammy races, and PK and Tyler Seguin play keep away at the end. Pretty cool

4. pic1983 says:

Dude koivu plays for the ducks now, and gomez plays for us, just in case you missed the memo or have been living under a rock.  Also, Gomez is taller than koivu, you gonna call koivu a smurf?

Didnt think so.

5. The Cat says:

I would agree with number 2 but after seeing Chicago unload their players, I wonder if teams will go through the win at all costs thing from now ie the thing they wont want to give up is their draft picks.

6. pic1983 says:

1) Make best efforts to re-sign him.  I dont want a cap hit of more than $6 million though.

2) I think a trade deadline day deal of a young roster defenseman, a prospect and a 1st round pick are easily attainable.

3) very low.  If we offer him a fair deal hes not going anywhere.

7. LA Loyalist says:

G*d we have to re-sign Markov. Aside from his own performance and example on ice (just look at our record without him) short-term mentoring PK, remember we have Tinordi coming, who looks like the real deal and we DON’T want to rush him.

We need more than one stud on the defence if we want to win another cup. The Big 3 were not the Big 1 or the Big 2.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

8. LA Loyalist says:

I apologize for jumping to contusions. I didn’t want anyone to think I was pounding on Gomez simply because of his size. I’m pounding him because he hasn’t earned his crust, not even close, and has handcuffed our financial flexibility. I would send him to Switzerland just like Huet to get him off our cap.

I’ve admired lots of smaller players since I was a kid, going back to Henri Richard, Cornoyer and Davey Keon.

And I want to be fair. I remember Leaf fans when I was a kid howling at Frank Mahovolich for not trying. He was such a smooth and beautiful skater it looked like he wasn’t breaking a sweat. Highly unfair to him.

I guess I still haven’t got over blowing up the team last summer, which I consider to be a total panic move (though again to be fair BG may have had knowledge of stuff we won’t know until he writes his memoirs, if then, which would totally justify what he did), but I felt last year we had a team comprised of spare parts and bin bits. Then, when it looks like we are getting somewhere, we dump Halak and Domenic Moore. Yeah, capology and all that, blah, blah, blah.

I guess my grievance is mostly with management and their lack of patience and incomprehensible judgement.

I hope they prove me wrong this year. I think we’ll know well before X-Mas. Sorry for getting excited.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

9. mike g says:

Yo…

How do I join the league?

Are you gonna send me an invite or something?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

10. K-hab25 says:

(1) Resign, 4 years 24 mill (2) We wouldn’t get back in a trade anything even close to what he’s worth to us. (3) I’d say a little less than the risk of losing Plekanec was. I think he wants to stay and as long as he’s payed fairly, he will.

11. avatar_58 says:

So try Pacioretty at defence and snub Weber, Carle and the rest? Sorry I disagree. If he has no scoring touch he’s a 3rd/4th liner. We have to accept the fact that it doesn’t matter which round he was drafted in nor how much hype was produced – he may just be a low end type of player.

12. SeriousFan09 says:

His original post said to PHI for Carter and then he edited it.

Still wouldn’t make that deal, the team needs Markov right now, especially in Subban’s start in the NHL. Subban getting to pick Markov’s brain about playing defence at the NHL, can’t be accurately valued.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

13. volcano62 says:

I posted Markov for Carter but then changed my mind for the reasons mentioned above.

14. Rugger says:

1. Agree, Pleks, 28 goals, 52 assists.

2. 12 goals, 36 assists

3.  White

4.  Yes, both

5.  Close but I’ll take Pleks over Cammy.

Bonus – Shultz

15. SeriousFan09 says:

Hey, someone dumps on Koivu I’m right here with you to tell ‘em to shut the hell up.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

16. The Cat says:

He said St.Louis not Philadelphia.

17. CP31 says:

I think you are totally bang on with #3 – Ryan White.

I’ve watched a few live Bulldogs games last year and loved his grit. He can also take faceoffs and can score especially “dirty” goals. Him and Moen I think are very similar but White is quicker, more skilled and naturally younger. He’s a perfect guy for our team.

I’m really hoping that White plays with the big boys next year, most likely 4th line (possibly 3rd?!?!?!)

18. JD_ says:

* Poor Boivin, or Molson, or whoever it is that is callin’ the shots on the Lafleur negotiations. It’s not so much the Lafleur aspect – he might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he’s still Guy – it’s just the idea of Rene Angelil sittin’ across the table, flashin’ that sleazy, gap-toothed smile every so often, and you knowin’ deep down he’s probably havin’ one over on ya. If There Was Any Other Way, indeed. Gonna have to take two showers after that session

* An observation, not a critique. Always figured Fisher was one to pine for the good ol’ days. After readin’ his piece this mornin’, and puttin’ it together with Boone’s birthday article, I’ve come to the conclusion Red’s issues run much deeper. This is the stuff of deep melancholy for a time when ownership was a small, tightly knit group that had total, uncontested control of the players, all of whom marched in lockstep to the whims of their masters, in the predictable fiefdom that was the NHL. And Red had everyone’s ear. Everyone. And now? The union has ruined the players and the Internet took care of the rest. In fairness, despite how this colours his writin’, Red stays relevant. Can’t say the same for Bertrand Raymond after that public meltdown last year.

* Why the tendency to point to Beliveau every time one slags Lafleur? Only Beliveau’s Beliveau. Admittedly, when I go to the hand carwash and someone misses a spot, I firmly explain that Beliveau wouldn’t have missed that spot, but that is neither here nor there. Besides, how do we know Le Gros Bill is all he’s cut out to be? True story: Know someone who mans the phones for a Montreal service-provider. Jean B. phones up one day with a problem and starts out the conversation by sayin’, in French, “Hi. This is Jean Beliveau, former player with the Montreal Canadiens.” I have no doubt that additional information was provided solely for the purposes of sports trivia…*cough* Bah, I know he’s awesome. It’s just good to remember he’s human. Same goes for Guy.

* Carey Price hasn’t signed. In other developments, just caught the matinee. Inception is the absolute ‘effin shiznat. Exceedingly engagin’ and as wholly satisfyin’ as a kicka$$ roller-coaster ride. Bloody loved it. Hollywood owed me one for makin’ me sit through that pukeworthy attempt at the genre, Vanilla Sky. We’re even now.

* Just saw this headline, “Fasel Warns NHL Over European Expansion”. We are, of course, talkin’ René Fasel, head of the IIHF. Hope for his own sake, and that of his constituents, it is no coincidence he bears more than a passin’ resemblance to this guy.

JD

19. The Cat says:

I would be in favour of signing players during the season. Eventhough theyre millionaires, everybody likes a pat on the back or a vote of confidence once in a while.

20. LA Loyalist says:

Ok. I’ve decided to suspend brawling (for now) over Nomez and Priceless as we are now on 30 days countdown.

At least after the shock of last year this year we will have a pretty good idea one or two months in where we are. I really think it will swing on guys whom we have no way of knowing who’s going to show up so there’s not a whole lot to debate with any kind of substance. At least with Price there’s a record to look at (though some posters haven’t paid any attention to it :)) The following guys are supposed to have skill and smarts, but it all comes down to the software between the ears.

Eller (unknown)

Pouliot (who knows? seems to have the tools and skill)

and AK sans SK (purebred skill, but what’s in his head?)

and I think Martin has some credibility now with the troops which will help get everyone on the same bus.

that said, other teams have improved too, and will have a lot of video of Martin’s schemes to study from the playoffs.

Let’s cheer for the guys, and I’m going to try really hard to not rant until mid-november… really. As long as no one insults Koivu, we’re good.

21. SeriousFan09 says:

Okay two flaws here…

- PHI already has a super-stacked defensive group, why would they add Markov to that? Last thing PHI is looking for this season is more Defencemen.

- Markov is not ‘mostly injured’ the tendon was a freak accident and he fell the wrong way when Cooke hit him, both could have easily never happened, especially if his skating ability hadn’t been hampered last season by the tendon injury.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

22. K-hab25 says:

(1) Gomez with 75 points (2) The Calder baby!! :-) 15G 35A (3) The beginning, White / Toward the end, Pacioretty (4) Niether, people that don’t like these 2, will probably never like them (5) Carey Price (BQ) Louis Leblanc

23. volcano62 says:

1. 12M/2 years

2. Trade to STL for Halak

3. He’s mostly injured, we will get over it

24. SeriousFan09 says:

1. Re-sign him for 5 years, 6-6.5 per year, without question he’s the team’s most talented player and he will be an invaluable asset as a mentor to P.K. on playing the skating defencemen at the NHL level.

2. Not unless absolutely necessary and make sure in the exchange, we have a blue-chip D prospect coming our way.

3. I don’t think it’s big, I suspect the Canadiens once the Price contract is resolved will turn to Markov and Gorges extensions, Markov just got his Canadian citizenship as well and seems very favourable towards staying in Montreal.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

25. volcano62 says:

1. Who will lead the Canadiens in scoring this season? – Mike Cammalleri

2. What are your expectations for Subban’s rookie season? – 50 points (15 pp goals)

3. Who from the Hamilton Bulldogs do you believe would most benefit the Habs roster if he were placed on it this season? – pacioretty

4. Will Pouliot or AK silence their critics this season? – AK should do better this season. not sure about Pouliot

5. Who’s your pre-season favourite for team MVP? – Markov or Cammalleri

Bonus Question: Prospect you’ve got your eye on the most in Junior/AHL/Wherever? – Tyler Seguin

26. Psycho29 says:

Hey I agree…..to me 7 million bucks is wayyyy too much for any athlete! But that’s a whole other subject!

27. BJ says:

Just read on CKAC that Markov’s agent (Don Meehan) says Gauthier has not contacted him re. an extension. Meehan goes on to say that he hopes that Gauthier will have a different policy than Gainey about signing players during the season.

What are peoples feelings:

1) Re-sign and for how much

2) Trade him (what would be adequate compensation)

3) How high is the risk of losing him to free agency?

28. pic1983 says:

1. Points: Pleks, Goals: Cammy

2. I think hes going to be a star.  30+ points and a calder trophy nomination.

3. Assuming Eller makes our opening day roster, seeing as our top-6 is pretty set right now, im going to have to go with a role player.  Ryan White seems like a pretty solid bet to be an effective bottom-6 player.

4. Both.  Theyve both had flashes of brilliance, and they both have a lot on the line this season.  If i have to pick one, Ill pick AK46,

5. Tomas Plekanec.

6.  Ill be watching Tinordi with London.  If he pans out, he is exactly what this organization needs.

29. avatar_58 says:

DUDE

Epic :)

30. pic1983 says:

Well, if you read my post from a couple of days ago, I stated why I infer that eklund always seems to have the habs in on everything even though we have very few trading chips and no cap space.  He gets money based on the amount of hits he gets.  Just go look at eric engels comment section vs every other blogger on that site.  Engels gets 3-4 times the hits that even howard berger, a maple leafs blogger, gets.  Eklund knows that habs fans are starved for news and information, and will look at any source of information regarding the habs no matter how ludicrous he is.  Thats what it looks like to me at least.

If hes not thinking that way, than hes just not a smart businessman.

31. Mark C says:

Andrew, don’t forget Ward took a AK46 hit which lead to Timmy Thomas decking AK46.

32. WarHero says:

Obsess all he might, the all knowing Ek will never be right …… (when it comes to the Habs)

————————————————————————

33. Mark C says:

Relax loyalist.

You ask if people are going to puke when they see that Smurf Gomez wearing Saku’s old number, and I simply point out that Saku is smaller than Gomez, and I’m the only trying to start a fight? Huh?

Also, my post was minutes before your post noting those other players. Again, how am I trying to pick a fight?

34. Foppa says:

1. Cammi

2.I have feeling he will hit a large slump somewhere during the year (I think it will be hard for him to maintain what he did in the playoffs last year especially since this is his rookie year). I say he will be a 3-4 D-man on the team.

3. David Desharnais

4. I hope Pouliot can pull it together, I think AK will always be an up and down player.

5. Gionta

6. Louis Leblanc Just because I can afford Junior tickets.