Breezer, Summit, a yodelling Huet

Frozen in time: the McFarlane figure of Cristobal Huet as a Canadien.

Not saying that it’s a challenge to link you to Canadiens news these days, but we’re really ready at HIO Central for a little hockey.

To start: La Presse reports today that René Angélil is negotiating Guy Lafleur’s ambassadorship contract renewal with the Habs. (What a hammer Angélil holds: “Sign the Flower or my wife, Céline Dion, will sing at the Bell Centre!”)

• Former Habs defenceman Patrice Brisebois is at the L’Équipeur store on Hymus Blvd. in Montreal-suburban Pointe-Claire this morning from 10 a.m. to noon. He’ll be signing autographs and racing remote cars in advance of this weekend’s NASCAR races – today’s parking-lot race winner earns $500 that will go to the Support Our Troops initiative. All welcome.

• Lots of talk, but how much action at World Hockey Summit? | Red Fisher | Bruce Arthur | Jeff Marek

Cristobal Huet seems bound for Switzerland

• 42 candles on the cake today of Benoît Brunet

No tire-kickers yet for Oilers’ ex-Habs defenceman Sheldon Souray

• Randy Phillips checks in on the Montreal Juniors training camp, featuring Habs prospect Louis Leblanc.

1. SLONCOLD says:

don’t know if schultz is ready for the nhl

2. LA Loyalist says:

Don’t even go there. i noted, Nasland, Gionta, Cornoyer, etc. you’re just trying to pick a fight.

It’s heart that counts. Hell, the Cube had more of that than Nomez. He left it in his locker in New Jersey or something.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

3. LA Loyalist says:

Hey I think Gionta is great. I recently saw Cammy working out and he is all muscle. Mats Naslund and Cornoyer were small and great.

My problem is $7 million bucks, 2 goals and minus 6 in the playoffs. Maybe I’ll change the moniker to boat anchor.

Maybe he’ll earn his money this year. That would be nice.

“still angry about Koivu and Halak. Sorry.”

4. Mark C says:

Also, isn’t Gomez taller than Saku?

5. fuhgawz says:

Stempniak Close in Phoenix, Habs Enter the Picture, Guerin, Kovalchuk

Eklunds obessorgasm with the Habs seems to be flowing again

6. Mark C says:

I’d give Max-Pac about 5 more shots at sticking with the big club before trying him at D. His developmental curve has been shot to hell, thanks to injuries, and lack of playtime (averaged just over 12.30 MPG in his 86 NHL games). He has only played 60 AHL games including playoffs, and during his last 4 season he has only played an average of 63 games per season. He won’t be 22 years old until November 30. Given all these factors it is time to be patient with his development. Right now, I think Max is an OK 3rd liner, if he is able to gain more offensive confidence and increase his scoring touch, he can become a top-six forward with size.

7. crabvader says:

1. Goals? Gionta, Pleks for points.

2. Calder winner, baby! :)

3. Ian Schultz… With no players on our team filling out what he could bring to the table, he’d be an asset.

4. Pacioretty

5. I’m gonna say it, GOMEZ! Lol

Bonus: Danny Kristo

8. WarHero says:

1. Tomas Plekanec, 25 goals, 60 assists.

2. 10 goals, 30 assists.

3. Ryan White, pure grit player who’s engaged every game he plays. – Totally Agree

4. I am hoping for AK & Pouliot, that would be grand!

5. Cammalleri or Gionta

6. Alexander Avtsin, this kid looks amazing!

————————————————————————

9. Psycho29 says:

1) Josh Gorges….He seems to have the respect of his teammates, gives 110% all the time and is a warrior.

2) I have no problem with Gomez wearing number-11. As I have mentioned in previous posts, other players have left here (by trade or retirement), other players have worn their numbers only to have them retired later on. (Dryden, Moore, Geoffrion, Gainey to name a few).

As far as calling Gomez a Smurf, he’s 5-11. Cammy is 5-9 and Gionta is 5-7…..does that make them Smurfettes???

10. andrewberkshire says:

Look at Beliveau, now at Lafleur, now back at Beliveau, back at Lafleur. Lafleur may not be Beliveau, but he can smell like him.

11. Chorske says:

I like a man who can nurse a proper grudge.

12. fuhgawz says:

1. Who will lead the Canadiens in scoring this season?

2. What are your expectations for Subban’s rookie season?

3. Who from the Hamilton Bulldogs do you believe would most benefit the Habs roster if he were placed on it this season?

4. Will Pouliot or AK silence their critics this season?

5. Who’s your pre-season favourite for team MVP?

Bonus Question: Prospect you’ve got your eye on the most in Junior/AHL/Wherever?

——–

My answers:

1. Gommer  50 G / 50 A — Ok maybe not hmm Cammy 40 G / 35 A

2. 15 G 25 As.

3. Ryan White i agree with ya 100%

4. Both will AK 30 Goals Benny 30 G

5. Price

Prospect I’ll be watching: Alexander Avtsin HANDS DOWN

13. Chorske says:

1. Cammy.

2. Show up, don’t miss any buses, take a regular shift, keep the +- above zero. He does that, I will be immensely satisfied.

3. Agree with White. Or Pyatt.

4. I’m giving those guys one more season to step up- AK, to prove his brother was the problem… and Pouliot, to prove that he isn’t the first round bust most folks say he is.

5. Cammy.

BONUS I like McDona… whoops, I mean David Fis… uh mever mind.

14. SeriousFan09 says:

Eller is pretty much a lock for the 10-11 Habs from all reports.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

15. SLONCOLD says:

1. pleks

2. solid D with points on the PP (10goals -35assists)

3. eller? hard to say cause he might already be on the squad

4. AK, pouliot i fear will struggle

5. price or pleks ( this is based on the molson cup star things)

16. RiverviewCanadien says:

1. Plekanec – 25-30 goals and 45+ assists (I think he have 75-85 pts)
    2. 40 pts (15 goals, 25 assists)
    3. I am hoping Pacioretty, but I like White
    4. Yes
    5. Plekanec

17. SeriousFan09 says:

Captaincy has been done to death around here, it’s a 4-horse race of Cammy, Gionta, Markov and Gorges, I thought I’d shift it a bit focusing on the players and I doubt anyone could be upset with any of those guys wearing the C, well besides Cat anyway.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

18. LA Loyalist says:

I have a question or two :)

1. Will we get a captain? And if so, who and why?

2. How many of us will puke when the Smurf(tm) skates out wearing #11

hab a nice day.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

SUMMIT GAME TICKETS ARE IN THE MAIL

I have mailed
    out all the Summit game tickets today.

Don,t lose them or misplace
    them or forget them like some people did last year.

Your seat tickets are not in your name, so if you lose them, trouble!!

Let me know on the Summit page when you get them please.

USA Summit goers, allow 10 to 12 days or so to receive them.

—————————————————————————————————————————–

EVERYONE WELCOME____JUST LET ME KNOW ON THE SUMMIT PAGE SO I CAN ADVISE THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

FRIDAY
    Nov. 5th, We are watching the Habs vs  Sabers game at Hurley’s Pub
    1225 Crescent St.  on big screen around 6pm. Name tags will be given out.

SAT. morning, Breakfast will be at Chez Coras 1240 Drummond St. at 8:30am

SAT.
    at 10;30 Bell Center tour and Habs Hall of Fame tour. The “Rockets”
    granddaughter Cathrine Richard is putting on the tour for us this year.

SAT.
    at 2:45 Pregame meal and The Children’s Foundation Raffle at The Baton
    Rouge Rest. 1050 Mountain St.

Don’t forget to bring along something to
    contribute to the raffle please.

Across the street at 7pm our Habs take on Kovalev and the Ottawa Senator’s

After
    game celebration. We have the second floor of Hurley’s Pub reserved for
    us. And like every year our Gazette leaders will be there to celibrate with us.

A password will be given to you at the pregame meal to by pass any
    line up and entry to our HIO celebration room.

SUNDAY farewell breakfast to be announced.

See you all in Montreal,!! And don’t forget to list your events on the Summit page that you are attending.

Ian

20. ooder says:

but Guy Lafleur is not Jean Beliveau”

but if he stopped using feminine scented body wash he can smell like Jean Beliveau..

haha sorry i had that old spice commercial stuck in my head for a while now

——————

88 is the new 23

21. SeriousFan09 says:

Okay, 5 questions to help you kill time at work:

1. Who will lead the Canadiens in scoring this season?

2. What are your expectations for Subban’s rookie season?

4. Will Pouliot or AK silence their critics this season?

5. Who’s your pre-season favourite for team MVP?

——–

My answers:

1. Tomas Plekanec, 30 goals, 45+ assists.

2. 10 goals, 25+ assists.

3. Ryan White, pure grit player who’s engaged every game he plays.

4. I think AK will.

5. Andrei Markov

Prospect I’ll be watching: Alexander Avtsin in HAM

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

22. sholi2000.com says:

hehe R, your linky is phooey :0

They Call Me Shane

23. andrewberkshire says:

It would be great if everyone acted the same as Jean Beliveau, but Guy Lafleur is not Jean Beliveau and never will be. I’d rather have the alumni be themselves. What’s the point in employing Guy Lafleur if he doesn’t act like Guy Lafleur? The Canadiens since 1993 need to have these guys around to remind everyone what winning is.

24. AndyF says:

Why should a team be responsible for the full result of its actions?   Why should a team be responsible for driving up the market price for players, and then paying them not to play in the NHL?

Some effects of this:

- it’s now a huge game of chicken again, come free-agent time

- European players are now worth more than North American players because you have an easier “out”

- if you’re a big-market team, you can grab all the European free-agents you want and just lend them out when other players suit your short-term cap strategy  better

I get the feeling the floodgates just opened up…

AndyF

25. Curtoph says:

Bernier? That looked like Brodeur…

26. andrewberkshire says:

Perhaps. And also, he’s spent most of the last 10 years playing for Carolina and Boston! What’s not to hate?

27. Aerobiz says:

Sorry Andrew, but Guy spent a lot of the currency that he earned as a player. An ambassador should handle himself, and treat his organization with class and repect (See: Beliveau, Jean). His snide, poorly timed remarks about the team (legal troubles aside) disqualify him for the position as far as I’m concerned.

“The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something.”- Randy Pausch

28. RGM says:

Hockey’s coming….

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

29. Curtoph says:

So I was walking down Bay Street, in downtown Toronto, just past Union Station, where I saw Bob McKenzie walking the other way, with his Hockey Summit Pass around his neck. If he didn’t look as uninviting to talk to I would of said: Hey! How does it feel being in Toronto and having to talk so much about the crappy leafs? Just to see what he would say back… :D

30. sholi2000.com says:

I love my Canadiens goalies so much that I taught myself how to customize other figures into the goalies of my choice.  Keep in mind I have a lot of time on my hands :0

Dryden & Price

Bernier Team Canada

Dryden Raises the Cup

Ever since McFarlane has canceled the actual nets and mass produce most parts of the figures, they are just not as appealing to me.

They Call Me Shane

31. JIMVINNY says:

I really like that you don’t link to hockeybuzz in your signature.  Almost as if you’re ashamed… :)

32. ooder says:

really?

i’ve honestly never noticed that part of his game.. maybe i wasn’t paying close enough attention

——————

88 is the new 23

33. SeriousFan09 says:

Lions in Winter examines Max Pacioretty and makes a proposal about Pacioretty’s future with the Habs, should he try his hand at defence?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

34. avatar_58 says:

It’s actually a plastic figure – I have one of Price, Koivu and (unfortunately) Tanguay.I like to pretend the latter is Cammy on roids….

35. andrewberkshire says:

Always thought he was as dirty as they come. Always willing to spear a player or throw an elbow, and then sprints to the bench for cover. One of the best parts of the playoffs in ’09 was when Scott Walker KO’d him.

36. Kamal Panesar says:

Am I the only one who finds that statue to be pretty cool?

Follow Kamal on HabsAddict.com, Facebook and Twitter

37. andrewberkshire says:

I don’t get how its even a question whether or not to bring Lafleur back as ambassador. Obviously you do. No matter what controversy Lafleur brings, the link to the greatness of Habs past he brings overshadows it. If you get identical contract offers from Montreal and Ottawa, and you’re as much a hockey fan as you are a player, are you going to go to the place where you can meet Henri Richard, Beliveau and Lafleur on a near daily basis, or a town with no history. To let Lafleur go would be a big mistake.

38. ooder says:

Aaron Ward has retired at 37

pretty good defenceman, soft as a pillow though

——————

88 is the new 23

39. Chorske says:

Oh, I’m definitely at a loss for words.

40. Chorske says:

This is manifestly NOT the case.

41. nickster13 says:

heh! let the games begin!!

42. observer says:

That’s 3. Most good coaches in all sports were also outstanding players. THAT list is countless.————QUITE THE OPPOSITE! in all sports too.

43. pic1983 says:

Ive never lived there, but Ive never heard anyone say anything bad about living in switzerland!  I’m sure the dollars arent KHL high, but a great place to live if you have a family.

44. observer says:

parity in this league. burke has built that team from the goal-defense out.

45. observer says:

if you think the playoffs equate to the promised land – let’s face it moses opened the red sea – so it may be possible that the leafs can make the top 8 in the eastern conference?

46. observer says:

but you are at a loss for words to refute a single point made.

47. SeriousFan09 says:

Will trade Lottery picks for moody 1-dimensional wingers!!! Wait, that isn’t right…

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

48. Storm Man says:

Not if I draft Price. ;)

49. observer says:

is it not strange? this is a couple of days later? yet i don’t think habs the team owned by molson NOW ever announced it. is that not very peculiar?

50. nickster13 says:

Hey storm man, youre goin down sucka!

51. observer says:

They could have also just sent him down to the AHL as no team would claim him and his salary off them. Has nothing to do with European players or not.

52. Storm Man says:

You team has the best snacks hands-down. I hear that Team Global Killers is the one to beat.

53. RGM says:

The last guy picked makes good: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=331526

If you were ever the last guy picked in gym class, there’s still hope!

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

54. scrowe21 says:

damn..just missed out.

——–If you play nhl10 for xbox360 add me – scrowe21

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

55. observer says:

Why should the players association be upset? Huet is still getting paid in full! It should be the smaller market teams who can’t make such moves who should be enraged and Bettman too if he really represented them as well as the big market US teams who are the only teams Bettman cares about.

56. habsfreak13 says:

Team Seafood is gunna win this easy :)

57. observer says:

Go to Sweden and let Gainey off the hook for paying him? ‘No way Jose’ BGL obviously thought and Habs have to pay him the balance of what Gainey made the owner pay. Like he made the owner keep paying for Carbonneau too.

58. Chorske says:

So much wrong with this. And I am at work. *sigh*

59. Storm Man says:

I just got a email from ESPN. The HIO 2010 Habs fans only league is now full 20 teams. The draft is live starting at 9pm EST on Sept 12. The draft order will be done by computer one hour before draft time. Im looking forward to this and good luck to all that joined should make for some fun trash talking. :)

60. cautiousoptimist says:

Go team cautiousop!  Woo!!

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  61. Chorske says:

Oh come on! We ALL wish Gomez would shoot more! Even those of us who love the guy- and I count myself among them- wish he could post more goals… and to do so, as Lafleur points out from atop his stellar career, you need to shoote da poque.

62. Malreg says:

I’m in, and looking to improve on Camm’y Conqueror’s 2nd place finish in last years Habs fans Yahoo fantasy league.

63. Chorske says:

Hey Bill, I certainly expect everyone within the management group to be on the same page, present a united front, and so on. But Lafleur’s role as an ambassador is to meet and greet and talk about the team… and I would prefer he do so candidly. Perhaps that’s just my personality, but I find it interesting when people with unique insight (which he certainly has) speak plainly. They may say something irritating, or insulting, or controversial, but I don’t care as long as it’s interesting.

I actually enjoy being offended. It’s definitely better than being bored- or being condescended to. I’d rather have an ambassador say, yeh, the team is struggling, this dude is dragging his ass. It’s way better than getting a nice pat on the head, there’s a nice fan, now go buy your tickets and 10$ hot dogs and 15$ beers and 350$ jerseys, isn’t the team great?

So in that sense, I am fine with Lafleur. :)

64. Storm Man says:

I sent you a email. Once you get to the ESPN site the rules are up for you to view.

65. Storm Man says:

live draft.

66. alestar says:

I’m in, Storm…btw, is it a “live draft” or is it only auto draft?

XXIV…and counting

67. derfab says:

OK, I am thoroughly bored. Can we shake it up a bit? Since Huet is on the move, what are the chances that any RFA’s jump over the pond?

character is derfab destiny.

68. scrowe21 says:

Id like to join, but have no idea what this is or how it works.. can anyone explain?

——–If you play nhl10 for xbox360 add me – scrowe21

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

69. punkster says:

Fail!

FREE TIMO!

70. Storm Man says:

Did you take a spot yet?

71. mike g says:

Hope u got my spot penciled in, Storm Man….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

72. pic1983 says:

The agents, who fight so hard to get superstars top dollar, have essentially cannabilized their own clients.  Now their mid to lower tier players cant get deals, because of the huge deals they got for their star players.

Reality of the salary cap era.

73. Natrous says:

His fight numbers have declined partly due to coaching (his shot is better on the ice than in the box) but mostly due to a bad wrist that has required many an operation.

74. pic1983 says:

Well why should a team be responsible for the cap hit of a player that isnt in their line up? Of course, 35+ contracts still count against the cap if the player retires, but thats not the case with heut. Chicago certainly would have buried huet in the AHL, but they are doing Huet a favor by lending him to a european team, and I am certain they are getting some form of monetary compensation.  If Chicago demoted him to the AHL, they would have to pay him his full salary anyways, they just save the cap hit.

Chicago is acting within the rules of the CBA, and from the PA’s point of view, Huet is still getting paid all his money, so why should they file a grievance?