Breezer, Summit, a yodelling Huet

Frozen in time: the McFarlane figure of Cristobal Huet as a Canadien.

Not saying that it’s a challenge to link you to Canadiens news these days, but we’re really ready at HIO Central for a little hockey.

To start: La Presse reports today that René Angélil is negotiating Guy Lafleur’s ambassadorship contract renewal with the Habs. (What a hammer Angélil holds: “Sign the Flower or my wife, Céline Dion, will sing at the Bell Centre!”)

• Former Habs defenceman Patrice Brisebois is at the L’Équipeur store on Hymus Blvd. in Montreal-suburban Pointe-Claire this morning from 10 a.m. to noon. He’ll be signing autographs and racing remote cars in advance of this weekend’s NASCAR races – today’s parking-lot race winner earns $500 that will go to the Support Our Troops initiative. All welcome.

• Lots of talk, but how much action at World Hockey Summit? | Red Fisher | Bruce Arthur | Jeff Marek

Cristobal Huet seems bound for Switzerland

• 42 candles on the cake today of Benoît Brunet

No tire-kickers yet for Oilers’ ex-Habs defenceman Sheldon Souray

• Randy Phillips checks in on the Montreal Juniors training camp, featuring Habs prospect Louis Leblanc.

1. JD_ says:

* Poor Boivin, or Molson, or whoever it is that is callin’ the shots on the Lafleur negotiations. It’s not so much the Lafleur aspect – he might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he’s still Guy – it’s just the idea of Rene Angelil sittin’ across the table, flashin’ that sleazy, gap-toothed smile every so often, and you knowin’ deep down he’s probably havin’ one over on ya. If There Was Any Other Way, indeed. Gonna have to take two showers after that session

* An observation, not a critique. Always figured Fisher was one to pine for the good ol’ days. After readin’ his piece this mornin’, and puttin’ it together with Boone’s birthday article, I’ve come to the conclusion Red’s issues run much deeper. This is the stuff of deep melancholy for a time when ownership was a small, tightly knit group that had total, uncontested control of the players, all of whom marched in lockstep to the whims of their masters, in the predictable fiefdom that was the NHL. And Red had everyone’s ear. Everyone. And now? The union has ruined the players and the Internet took care of the rest. In fairness, despite how this colours his writin’, Red stays relevant. Can’t say the same for Bertrand Raymond after that public meltdown last year.

* Why the tendency to point to Beliveau every time one slags Lafleur? Only Beliveau’s Beliveau. Admittedly, when I go to the hand carwash and someone misses a spot, I firmly explain that Beliveau wouldn’t have missed that spot, but that is neither here nor there. Besides, how do we know Le Gros Bill is all he’s cut out to be? True story: Know someone who mans the phones for a Montreal service-provider. Jean B. phones up one day with a problem and starts out the conversation by sayin’, in French, “Hi. This is Jean Beliveau, former player with the Montreal Canadiens.” I have no doubt that additional information was provided solely for the purposes of sports trivia…*cough* Bah, I know he’s awesome. It’s just good to remember he’s human. Same goes for Guy.

* Carey Price hasn’t signed. In other developments, just caught the matinee. Inception is the absolute ‘effin shiznat. Exceedingly engagin’ and as wholly satisfyin’ as a kicka$$ roller-coaster ride. Bloody loved it. Hollywood owed me one for makin’ me sit through that pukeworthy attempt at the genre, Vanilla Sky. We’re even now.

* Just saw this headline, “Fasel Warns NHL Over European Expansion”. We are, of course, talkin’ René Fasel, head of the IIHF. Hope for his own sake, and that of his constituents, it is no coincidence he bears more than a passin’ resemblance to this guy.

JD

2. The Cat says:

I would be in favour of signing players during the season. Eventhough theyre millionaires, everybody likes a pat on the back or a vote of confidence once in a while.

3. LA Loyalist says:

Ok. I’ve decided to suspend brawling (for now) over Nomez and Priceless as we are now on 30 days countdown.

At least after the shock of last year this year we will have a pretty good idea one or two months in where we are. I really think it will swing on guys whom we have no way of knowing who’s going to show up so there’s not a whole lot to debate with any kind of substance. At least with Price there’s a record to look at (though some posters haven’t paid any attention to it :)) The following guys are supposed to have skill and smarts, but it all comes down to the software between the ears.

Eller (unknown)

Pouliot (who knows? seems to have the tools and skill)

and AK sans SK (purebred skill, but what’s in his head?)

and I think Martin has some credibility now with the troops which will help get everyone on the same bus.

that said, other teams have improved too, and will have a lot of video of Martin’s schemes to study from the playoffs.

Let’s cheer for the guys, and I’m going to try really hard to not rant until mid-november… really. As long as no one insults Koivu, we’re good.

4. SeriousFan09 says:

Okay two flaws here…

– PHI already has a super-stacked defensive group, why would they add Markov to that? Last thing PHI is looking for this season is more Defencemen.

– Markov is not ‘mostly injured’ the tendon was a freak accident and he fell the wrong way when Cooke hit him, both could have easily never happened, especially if his skating ability hadn’t been hampered last season by the tendon injury.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

5. K-hab25 says:

(1) Gomez with 75 points (2) The Calder baby!! :-) 15G 35A (3) The beginning, White / Toward the end, Pacioretty (4) Niether, people that don’t like these 2, will probably never like them (5) Carey Price (BQ) Louis Leblanc

6. volcano62 says:

1. 12M/2 years

2. Trade to STL for Halak

3. He’s mostly injured, we will get over it

7. SeriousFan09 says:

1. Re-sign him for 5 years, 6-6.5 per year, without question he’s the team’s most talented player and he will be an invaluable asset as a mentor to P.K. on playing the skating defencemen at the NHL level.

2. Not unless absolutely necessary and make sure in the exchange, we have a blue-chip D prospect coming our way.

3. I don’t think it’s big, I suspect the Canadiens once the Price contract is resolved will turn to Markov and Gorges extensions, Markov just got his Canadian citizenship as well and seems very favourable towards staying in Montreal.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

8. volcano62 says:

1. Who will lead the Canadiens in scoring this season? – Mike Cammalleri

2. What are your expectations for Subban’s rookie season? – 50 points (15 pp goals)

3. Who from the Hamilton Bulldogs do you believe would most benefit the Habs roster if he were placed on it this season? – pacioretty

4. Will Pouliot or AK silence their critics this season? – AK should do better this season. not sure about Pouliot

5. Who’s your pre-season favourite for team MVP? – Markov or Cammalleri

Bonus Question: Prospect you’ve got your eye on the most in Junior/AHL/Wherever? – Tyler Seguin

9. Psycho29 says:

Hey I agree…..to me 7 million bucks is wayyyy too much for any athlete! But that’s a whole other subject!

10. BJ says:

Just read on CKAC that Markov’s agent (Don Meehan) says Gauthier has not contacted him re. an extension. Meehan goes on to say that he hopes that Gauthier will have a different policy than Gainey about signing players during the season.

What are peoples feelings:

1) Re-sign and for how much

2) Trade him (what would be adequate compensation)

3) How high is the risk of losing him to free agency?

11. pic1983 says:

1. Points: Pleks, Goals: Cammy

2. I think hes going to be a star.  30+ points and a calder trophy nomination.

3. Assuming Eller makes our opening day roster, seeing as our top-6 is pretty set right now, im going to have to go with a role player.  Ryan White seems like a pretty solid bet to be an effective bottom-6 player.

4. Both.  Theyve both had flashes of brilliance, and they both have a lot on the line this season.  If i have to pick one, Ill pick AK46,

5. Tomas Plekanec.

6.  Ill be watching Tinordi with London.  If he pans out, he is exactly what this organization needs.

12. avatar_58 says:

DUDE

Epic :)

13. pic1983 says:

Well, if you read my post from a couple of days ago, I stated why I infer that eklund always seems to have the habs in on everything even though we have very few trading chips and no cap space.  He gets money based on the amount of hits he gets.  Just go look at eric engels comment section vs every other blogger on that site.  Engels gets 3-4 times the hits that even howard berger, a maple leafs blogger, gets.  Eklund knows that habs fans are starved for news and information, and will look at any source of information regarding the habs no matter how ludicrous he is.  Thats what it looks like to me at least.

If hes not thinking that way, than hes just not a smart businessman.

14. Mark C says:

Andrew, don’t forget Ward took a AK46 hit which lead to Timmy Thomas decking AK46.

15. WarHero says:

Obsess all he might, the all knowing Ek will never be right …… (when it comes to the Habs)

————————————————————————

16. Mark C says:

Relax loyalist.

You ask if people are going to puke when they see that Smurf Gomez wearing Saku’s old number, and I simply point out that Saku is smaller than Gomez, and I’m the only trying to start a fight? Huh?

Also, my post was minutes before your post noting those other players. Again, how am I trying to pick a fight?

17. Foppa says:

1. Cammi

2.I have feeling he will hit a large slump somewhere during the year (I think it will be hard for him to maintain what he did in the playoffs last year especially since this is his rookie year). I say he will be a 3-4 D-man on the team.

3. David Desharnais

4. I hope Pouliot can pull it together, I think AK will always be an up and down player.

5. Gionta

6. Louis Leblanc Just because I can afford Junior tickets.

18. SLONCOLD says:

don’t know if schultz is ready for the nhl

19. LA Loyalist says:

Don’t even go there. i noted, Nasland, Gionta, Cornoyer, etc. you’re just trying to pick a fight.

It’s heart that counts. Hell, the Cube had more of that than Nomez. He left it in his locker in New Jersey or something.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

20. LA Loyalist says:

Hey I think Gionta is great. I recently saw Cammy working out and he is all muscle. Mats Naslund and Cornoyer were small and great.

My problem is $7 million bucks, 2 goals and minus 6 in the playoffs. Maybe I’ll change the moniker to boat anchor.

Maybe he’ll earn his money this year. That would be nice.

“still angry about Koivu and Halak. Sorry.”

21. Mark C says:

Also, isn’t Gomez taller than Saku?

22. fuhgawz says:

Stempniak Close in Phoenix, Habs Enter the Picture, Guerin, Kovalchuk

Eklunds obessorgasm with the Habs seems to be flowing again

23. Mark C says:

I’d give Max-Pac about 5 more shots at sticking with the big club before trying him at D. His developmental curve has been shot to hell, thanks to injuries, and lack of playtime (averaged just over 12.30 MPG in his 86 NHL games). He has only played 60 AHL games including playoffs, and during his last 4 season he has only played an average of 63 games per season. He won’t be 22 years old until November 30. Given all these factors it is time to be patient with his development. Right now, I think Max is an OK 3rd liner, if he is able to gain more offensive confidence and increase his scoring touch, he can become a top-six forward with size.

24. crabvader says:

1. Goals? Gionta, Pleks for points.

2. Calder winner, baby! :)

3. Ian Schultz… With no players on our team filling out what he could bring to the table, he’d be an asset.

4. Pacioretty

5. I’m gonna say it, GOMEZ! Lol

Bonus: Danny Kristo

25. WarHero says:

1. Tomas Plekanec, 25 goals, 60 assists.

2. 10 goals, 30 assists.

3. Ryan White, pure grit player who’s engaged every game he plays. – Totally Agree

4. I am hoping for AK & Pouliot, that would be grand!

5. Cammalleri or Gionta

6. Alexander Avtsin, this kid looks amazing!

————————————————————————

26. Psycho29 says:

1) Josh Gorges….He seems to have the respect of his teammates, gives 110% all the time and is a warrior.

2) I have no problem with Gomez wearing number-11. As I have mentioned in previous posts, other players have left here (by trade or retirement), other players have worn their numbers only to have them retired later on. (Dryden, Moore, Geoffrion, Gainey to name a few).

As far as calling Gomez a Smurf, he’s 5-11. Cammy is 5-9 and Gionta is 5-7…..does that make them Smurfettes???

27. andrewberkshire says:

Look at Beliveau, now at Lafleur, now back at Beliveau, back at Lafleur. Lafleur may not be Beliveau, but he can smell like him.

28. Chorske says:

I like a man who can nurse a proper grudge.

29. fuhgawz says:

1. Who will lead the Canadiens in scoring this season?

2. What are your expectations for Subban’s rookie season?

4. Will Pouliot or AK silence their critics this season?

5. Who’s your pre-season favourite for team MVP?

——–

My answers:

1. Gommer  50 G / 50 A — Ok maybe not hmm Cammy 40 G / 35 A

2. 15 G 25 As.

3. Ryan White i agree with ya 100%

4. Both will AK 30 Goals Benny 30 G

5. Price

Prospect I’ll be watching: Alexander Avtsin HANDS DOWN

30. Chorske says:

1. Cammy.

2. Show up, don’t miss any buses, take a regular shift, keep the +- above zero. He does that, I will be immensely satisfied.

3. Agree with White. Or Pyatt.

4. I’m giving those guys one more season to step up- AK, to prove his brother was the problem… and Pouliot, to prove that he isn’t the first round bust most folks say he is.

5. Cammy.

BONUS I like McDona… whoops, I mean David Fis… uh mever mind.

31. SeriousFan09 says:

Eller is pretty much a lock for the 10-11 Habs from all reports.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

32. SLONCOLD says:

1. pleks

2. solid D with points on the PP (10goals -35assists)

3. eller? hard to say cause he might already be on the squad

4. AK, pouliot i fear will struggle

5. price or pleks ( this is based on the molson cup star things)

33. RiverviewCanadien says:

1. Plekanec – 25-30 goals and 45+ assists (I think he have 75-85 pts)
    2. 40 pts (15 goals, 25 assists)
    3. I am hoping Pacioretty, but I like White
    4. Yes
    5. Plekanec

34. SeriousFan09 says:

Captaincy has been done to death around here, it’s a 4-horse race of Cammy, Gionta, Markov and Gorges, I thought I’d shift it a bit focusing on the players and I doubt anyone could be upset with any of those guys wearing the C, well besides Cat anyway.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

35. LA Loyalist says:

I have a question or two :)

1. Will we get a captain? And if so, who and why?

2. How many of us will puke when the Smurf(tm) skates out wearing #11

hab a nice day.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

SUMMIT GAME TICKETS ARE IN THE MAIL

I have mailed
    out all the Summit game tickets today.

Don,t lose them or misplace
    them or forget them like some people did last year.

Your seat tickets are not in your name, so if you lose them, trouble!!

Let me know on the Summit page when you get them please.

USA Summit goers, allow 10 to 12 days or so to receive them.

—————————————————————————————————————————–

EVERYONE WELCOME____JUST LET ME KNOW ON THE SUMMIT PAGE SO I CAN ADVISE THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

FRIDAY
    Nov. 5th, We are watching the Habs vs  Sabers game at Hurley’s Pub
    1225 Crescent St.  on big screen around 6pm. Name tags will be given out.

SAT. morning, Breakfast will be at Chez Coras 1240 Drummond St. at 8:30am

SAT.
    at 10;30 Bell Center tour and Habs Hall of Fame tour. The “Rockets”
    granddaughter Cathrine Richard is putting on the tour for us this year.

SAT.
    at 2:45 Pregame meal and The Children’s Foundation Raffle at The Baton
    Rouge Rest. 1050 Mountain St.

Don’t forget to bring along something to
    contribute to the raffle please.

Across the street at 7pm our Habs take on Kovalev and the Ottawa Senator’s

After
    game celebration. We have the second floor of Hurley’s Pub reserved for
    us. And like every year our Gazette leaders will be there to celibrate with us.

A password will be given to you at the pregame meal to by pass any
    line up and entry to our HIO celebration room.

SUNDAY farewell breakfast to be announced.

See you all in Montreal,!! And don’t forget to list your events on the Summit page that you are attending.

Ian

37. ooder says:

but Guy Lafleur is not Jean Beliveau”

but if he stopped using feminine scented body wash he can smell like Jean Beliveau..

haha sorry i had that old spice commercial stuck in my head for a while now

——————

88 is the new 23

38. SeriousFan09 says:

Okay, 5 questions to help you kill time at work:

1. Who will lead the Canadiens in scoring this season?

2. What are your expectations for Subban’s rookie season?

4. Will Pouliot or AK silence their critics this season?

5. Who’s your pre-season favourite for team MVP?

——–

My answers:

1. Tomas Plekanec, 30 goals, 45+ assists.

2. 10 goals, 25+ assists.

3. Ryan White, pure grit player who’s engaged every game he plays.

4. I think AK will.

5. Andrei Markov

Prospect I’ll be watching: Alexander Avtsin in HAM

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

39. sholi2000.com says:

hehe R, your linky is phooey :0

They Call Me Shane

40. andrewberkshire says:

It would be great if everyone acted the same as Jean Beliveau, but Guy Lafleur is not Jean Beliveau and never will be. I’d rather have the alumni be themselves. What’s the point in employing Guy Lafleur if he doesn’t act like Guy Lafleur? The Canadiens since 1993 need to have these guys around to remind everyone what winning is.

41. AndyF says:

Why should a team be responsible for the full result of its actions?   Why should a team be responsible for driving up the market price for players, and then paying them not to play in the NHL?

Some effects of this:

– it’s now a huge game of chicken again, come free-agent time

– European players are now worth more than North American players because you have an easier “out”

– if you’re a big-market team, you can grab all the European free-agents you want and just lend them out when other players suit your short-term cap strategy  better

I get the feeling the floodgates just opened up…

AndyF

42. Curtoph says:

Bernier? That looked like Brodeur…

43. andrewberkshire says:

Perhaps. And also, he’s spent most of the last 10 years playing for Carolina and Boston! What’s not to hate?

44. Aerobiz says:

Sorry Andrew, but Guy spent a lot of the currency that he earned as a player. An ambassador should handle himself, and treat his organization with class and repect (See: Beliveau, Jean). His snide, poorly timed remarks about the team (legal troubles aside) disqualify him for the position as far as I’m concerned.

“The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something.”- Randy Pausch

45. RGM says:

Hockey’s coming….

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

46. Curtoph says:

So I was walking down Bay Street, in downtown Toronto, just past Union Station, where I saw Bob McKenzie walking the other way, with his Hockey Summit Pass around his neck. If he didn’t look as uninviting to talk to I would of said: Hey! How does it feel being in Toronto and having to talk so much about the crappy leafs? Just to see what he would say back… 😀

47. sholi2000.com says:

I love my Canadiens goalies so much that I taught myself how to customize other figures into the goalies of my choice.  Keep in mind I have a lot of time on my hands :0

Dryden & Price

Bernier Team Canada

Dryden Raises the Cup

Ever since McFarlane has canceled the actual nets and mass produce most parts of the figures, they are just not as appealing to me.

They Call Me Shane

48. JIMVINNY says:

I really like that you don’t link to hockeybuzz in your signature.  Almost as if you’re ashamed… :)

49. ooder says:

really?

i’ve honestly never noticed that part of his game.. maybe i wasn’t paying close enough attention

——————

88 is the new 23

50. SeriousFan09 says:

Lions in Winter examines Max Pacioretty and makes a proposal about Pacioretty’s future with the Habs, should he try his hand at defence?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

51. avatar_58 says:

It’s actually a plastic figure – I have one of Price, Koivu and (unfortunately) Tanguay.I like to pretend the latter is Cammy on roids….

52. andrewberkshire says:

Always thought he was as dirty as they come. Always willing to spear a player or throw an elbow, and then sprints to the bench for cover. One of the best parts of the playoffs in ’09 was when Scott Walker KO’d him.

53. Kamal Panesar says:

Am I the only one who finds that statue to be pretty cool?

Follow Kamal on HabsAddict.com, Facebook and Twitter

54. andrewberkshire says:

I don’t get how its even a question whether or not to bring Lafleur back as ambassador. Obviously you do. No matter what controversy Lafleur brings, the link to the greatness of Habs past he brings overshadows it. If you get identical contract offers from Montreal and Ottawa, and you’re as much a hockey fan as you are a player, are you going to go to the place where you can meet Henri Richard, Beliveau and Lafleur on a near daily basis, or a town with no history. To let Lafleur go would be a big mistake.

55. ooder says:

Aaron Ward has retired at 37

pretty good defenceman, soft as a pillow though

——————

88 is the new 23

56. Chorske says:

Oh, I’m definitely at a loss for words.

57. Chorske says:

This is manifestly NOT the case.

58. nickster13 says:

heh! let the games begin!!

59. observer says:

That’s 3. Most good coaches in all sports were also outstanding players. THAT list is countless.————QUITE THE OPPOSITE! in all sports too.

60. pic1983 says:

Ive never lived there, but Ive never heard anyone say anything bad about living in switzerland!  I’m sure the dollars arent KHL high, but a great place to live if you have a family.

61. observer says:

parity in this league. burke has built that team from the goal-defense out.

62. observer says:

if you think the playoffs equate to the promised land – let’s face it moses opened the red sea – so it may be possible that the leafs can make the top 8 in the eastern conference?

63. observer says:

but you are at a loss for words to refute a single point made.

64. SeriousFan09 says:

Will trade Lottery picks for moody 1-dimensional wingers!!! Wait, that isn’t right…

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

65. Storm Man says:

Not if I draft Price. 😉

66. observer says:

is it not strange? this is a couple of days later? yet i don’t think habs the team owned by molson NOW ever announced it. is that not very peculiar?

67. nickster13 says:

Hey storm man, youre goin down sucka!

68. observer says:

They could have also just sent him down to the AHL as no team would claim him and his salary off them. Has nothing to do with European players or not.

69. Storm Man says:

You team has the best snacks hands-down. I hear that Team Global Killers is the one to beat.

70. RGM says:

The last guy picked makes good: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=331526

If you were ever the last guy picked in gym class, there’s still hope!

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

71. scrowe21 says:

damn..just missed out.

——–If you play nhl10 for xbox360 add me – scrowe21

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

72. observer says:

Why should the players association be upset? Huet is still getting paid in full! It should be the smaller market teams who can’t make such moves who should be enraged and Bettman too if he really represented them as well as the big market US teams who are the only teams Bettman cares about.

73. habsfreak13 says:

Team Seafood is gunna win this easy :)

74. observer says:

Go to Sweden and let Gainey off the hook for paying him? ‘No way Jose’ BGL obviously thought and Habs have to pay him the balance of what Gainey made the owner pay. Like he made the owner keep paying for Carbonneau too.