Bozon looking forward to Habs’ rookie camp after battling meningitis

Tim Bozon received an invitation this week to the Canadiens’ rookie camp next month and is confident he’ll be there after battling meningitis.

Bozon, who was selected by Montreal in the third round (64th overall) of the 2012 National Hockey League entry draft, was hospitalized in Saskatoon on March 1 after playing a game with the WHL’s Kootenay Ice against the Saskatoon Blades. He was diagnosed with meningitis and placed in a medically induced coma. Critically ill, he pulled through and was finally discharged from hospital four weeks later.

On July 31, with the green light from the Canadiens’ doctors, Bozon played for France’s national under-23 team at a tournament in the Czech Republic.

Bozon told The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell that the hardest part of his hockey rehab was that he had lost nearly 40 pounds.

“I worked hard for three, four summers to add muscle mass to get bigger,” he told Branswell. “And from one day to the next you look at yourself in the mirror and you’re not the same. And it’s hard to accept for a high-level athlete to see yourself weak, no more strength.”

Bozon now weighs 194 pounds, almost back to his listed weight last season of 199 pounds.

Bozon told Branswell there were moments when he wondered if he’d be able to return to hockey “but I try not to think about it.”

“For sure sometimes I said to myself, ‘Am I doing this for nothing?’ But that rarely happened to me. I knew it would end up by paying off. And for sure the reward will be to be at Montreal’s training camp and to see what I’m capable of doing.”

He said his goal is to play for the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs this coming season.

(Photo by Jamie Sabau/Getty Images)

Bozon back on skates after battling meningitis, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Subban uses dump truck for ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, montrealgazette.com

Habs take Ice Bucket Challenge for ALS, Canadiens.com

1. rhino514 says:

what´s the big fuss about Sekac? 11 goals in the KHL??
    To me Bournival is more promising, especially as a two way player, and should be given first chance. Or Andrighetto, if he burns up the ahl.

• Cal says:

Cakes is going to shake and bake his way into our hearts. 15 teams were going after him. I’ve seen Bournival. His shot stinks and needs a lot of work. Otherwise, he’s a speedy plumber- 3rd or 4th line material.
      Cakes has top 6 potential.

2. HabFab says:

In case you don’t know what the Ice Bucket challenge is all about;

• twilighthours says:

Posted on Nova Scotia ALS Society’s FB page:

To address some questions about the Ice Bucket Challenge – about awareness, donating, and the appropriateness of the challenge.
      Donations have increased dramatically in the U.S. where the Ice Bucket Challenge started with a young 29 year old college baseball player named Pete Frates who really just wanted to challenge his family and friends. The idea was that if you didn’t take the challenge you had to donate $100 to your local ALS Society. There has been a small uptake of donations here in NS, not a large one. Some people are taking the challenge and donating, most participating are just doing the challenge. But here’s the thing. Not a lot of people know about ALS or it’s devastating effects. In the last two weeks, this challenge has drawn an amazing amount of media attention and has made people aware of ALS. ALS is not like cancer (thank goodness), not every family will be touched by it. And so, financial support is hard to come by. We appreciate each and every person who does the challenge and/or makes a donation. The awareness is priceless. And every donation no matter the amount adds up. I’d like to address the issue that has been brought to my attention of the Ice Bucket Challenge being frivolous when ALS is such a serious disease. I wish each of you could have a day to come with me or Terri (our client services manager) when we are visiting people living with ALS. ALS may rob a person of their ability to walk, talk, use their arms, and eventually breathe on their own. But here’s what it can’t take away. It can’t take away someone’s ability to give and receive love, ALS doesn’t take away one’s sense of humour (quite the opposite, I’ve had many good belly chuckles with people living with ALS), it can’t take away your soul. People with ALS have to seriously face many serious things every day. Just like you and I, they need to have a good laugh now and then, they need to be transported away from the seriousness of ALS, they need people to know about ALS and what a better way to do it than through this amazing challenge. It sure wasn’t intentional, young Mr. Frates didn’t know what he was doing. So you see, it isn’t all about the money. It is about learning about the disease, a light hearted approach that allows people to talk about ALS. So, if someone taking the challenge doesn’t donate, that’s ok. We appreciate you spreading the word. But . . . if you do want to donate that’s a bonus! We use the money for two things – we call them care and hope. ALS Nova Scotia and ALS New Brunswick loans equipment at no charge – hospital beds, power wheelchairs, bi-pap (breathing) and suction machines, communication equipment. The average person will need $70,000 worth of equipment. We also provide home visits, help navigating the health care system, a shoulder to lean on. This is the CARE part. ALS Canada funds peer reviewed research – the HOPE part. In 1993 there were 3 ALS researchers in Canada, today there are over 100 and we are fourth in the world – on the leading edge of ALS research.

3. Habfan17 says:

I am surprised that both TSN and Sportsnet did not have anything on their main pages about Hayes or any other college UFA. There was a lot when Shultz was available. Maybe Hayes is not as highly rated as Shultz was. With little real news, I would have thought they would have played this up big time! especially if as others have mentioned, as many as 8 teams are trying to sign him.

Habfan17

• HabFab says:

Apparently spent yesterday cutting it down to 4-5 teams today for the final presentations. Never heard a mention of the Habs.

• CJ says:

I just don’t see a fit. I mean sure, I’d love to add the kid to the organization depth chart, but it just doesn’t add up. I’ve never placed any stock in Hayes, because truthfully I don’t believe there’s any chance he lands in Montreal.

• Habfan17 says:

Hey CJ,
          I originally thought the same thing. When I look at the roster, I saw something like this
          Patches, DD, Parenteau
          Sekac, Pleks, Gallagher
          Galchenyuk, Eller, Bourque
          Prust, Malhotra, Weise.

Then I thought, if MB did sign Hayes;
          Patches, Galchenyuk, Parenteau
          Sekac, Pleks, Gallgher
          Bourque, Eller, Hayes
          Prust, Malhotra, Weise

Parenteau may be around for another season after this, then one of the prospects may be ready. This would also give De La Rose, Sherbak and others a year in Hamilton. Then Bournival and DD could be used to add more picks next draft which seems to be pretty strong.

In the end, I guess it will also depend on what Bergevin knows of Hayes from his days in Chicago.

Habfan17

• B says:

As was the case with Chicago, Montreal doesn’t have the cap space to give Hayes what he is looking for.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Chris says:

It doesn’t have to do with cap space…Hayes can only sign an ELC. What Chicago couldn’t offer was a guaranteed NHL roster spot (with the corresponding paycheque), as opposed to spending most of the season in the AHL where the pay is about 1/10th of what he would earn in the NHL.

Montreal has the same problem…no guarantee of a roster spot as they have too many veterans on big contracts.

• B says:

Chicken and egg I suppose. A team lacking in cap space for such a prospect would have to keep him down regardless of whether or not he beat someone out for a spot in camp. In a perfect world, the player would simply get the spot if he deserved it, but in reality it doesn’t just come down to having to beat out say a player like Moen for a spot out of camp.

I also don’t think it wise to guarantee a spot to someone who has never played an NHL game before. I wonder if there are many (any?) GMs who would actually do that?

Lastly, ELCs can come with bonuses. Justin Schultz’s ELC had a hair under $3M per season in bonuses. Teams are only allowed to carry a limited amount of bonuses (7% of the cap max I believe) over to the next season, and that just puts further pressure on the next season’s cap room, which can be problematic.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Marc10 says:

I guess what with losing hockey TSN will turn into a much broader sports network. I expect more Blue Jays and Raptor news, EPL and football in general, etc.

And it goes without saying the Habs will get shortchanged on the national network, although I expect the /Montreal affiliate will need to stay the course as there’s no getting around Le Tricolore in this market (especially given the Als and the Impact are having tough seasons…)

4. Mavid ® says:

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

5. petefleet says:

Finally a poll question worth contemplating. Of course they will be better. How could they not be? The only thing they lost was a little leadership but MB must have thought there was more in the room or he wouldn’t have made the moves he did. I think with the additions to the lineup and the grads from Hamilton, the Habs will be as good or better than last year if Price is at 100%. The forward lines should be quite productive and the defence should be rock solid with Murray and the Cube gone.

“There is no blog more boring than the one where everybody agrees with you.”
    Me

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
    Abraham Lincoln

***Go Habs Go***

• Habfan10912 says:

I agree (I think). For me 3 players are going to be a huge factor in the teams continued improvement. Nathan B and Tinordi have to take big steps into becoming everyday NHL Dman.

The third player is Galchenyuk. I think we’re going to see a huge jump in his production this season. I can’t wait to see him this season.

If those three things happen AND Price stays healthy, this team could reach the Cup.

• JF says:

I hope our young players will be able to make up for the leadership we’ve lost, but we don’t know yet since they haven’t been tested. I agree we’ve improved defensively, but scoring will likely be a problem. We need Parenteau to click on one of the top two lines and Galchenyuk to have a breakout year. I’m willing to bet there’ll be serious scoring droughts – periods when we can’t score more than a goal a game and lose 2-1. But overall I think the team is a bit better than last year, although it may not show in the results since other teams have also improved.

• CJ says:

Good morning.

I’ll offer my two cents….

Yes, I think our team is improved. Our 23 man roster, on paper anyway, should be better, as will our depth. This said, I don’t know that our path to a Stanley Cup will be any easier. The stars began to align during last year’s post season. I am not so sure the road to 25 will be quite so comfortable. I don’t think Boston will be better, so this could be one obstacle softened, however I see Toronto, Tampa, Florida and Ottawa as all being improved. Buffalo should also be much better.

In summary, when opportunity presents itself, you simply must capitalize. Our success last year is just that – last year’s news. As Bergevin said, everyone resets. Personally, I thought we had a glorious opportunity to reach the finals, but the team ran out of steam and key personnel were either injured or simply did not produce. What I saw last spring, was when Price went down, a leadership vacuum developed. Gionta, Pleks, Markov, Vanek, these guys couldn’t lead. So much as I appreciated what he did (please note, did is past tense), Gionta is not worth a three year investment. What I simply can’t understand is the consideration being afforded Pleks and Markov for the Captaincy.

If the organization trusts PK enough to make an 8 year investment, then he becomes a front runner for the C. I’d also add Max to the conversation. It’s time to turn this team over to the 28 and under crowd, with the veterans (Markov, Pleks…) being complimentary players. Again, Markov at 22:00 minutes a night on the 3/4 pairing and Pleks as our third line centre by Christmas will be the type of secondary roles that could afford these complimentary players an opportunity to shine – albeit in a newly defined capacity.

As I’ve said for months, this will be a year of transition. You will see our team continue to become bigger, tougher to play against, deeper, younger and faster. These changes may not result in a 25th Stanley Cup banner being raised to the rafters, but it should help establish the franchise as part of the upper echelon in the near future. That friends is progress. That’s something to get excited about.

Cheers, CJ

• JF says:

Good morning, CJ, glad you had such a great holiday.

I agree with most of what you say here, but I’m not sure P.K. is quite ready to be captain. He is certainly the future captain, but this may not be the moment. With the mammoth contract he’s just been given, plus the larger leadership role he is expected to assume in any case following the departure of Gionta and Gorges, there will already be a lot of pressure on him, not only to perform at a consistently high level, but also to do that little bit extra. The captaincy would be added pressure, and he might find himself trying to do too much.

Maybe I’m being over-cautious, but I rather like Eric Engels’s suggestion on Hockeybuzz: if Markov is willing, make him captain until the end of his tenure, then hand it over to P.K.

But Bergevin might well think like you; he let both Gionta and Gorges go, and said that a changing of the guard is taking place in relation to leadership. He is sure our young players are ready to be leaders; he may feel P.K. is ready to be captain. If the players choose, it could be a different story. We don’t know what goes on in the locker room.

• CJ says:

If Crosby can be Captain at 19-20, if…..you get the point. PK is 25. If, at 25, PK is not mature enough, than, with all due respect he never will be. Look around the league. So many guys were Captain at 25, or younger. PK has been in the spotlight, on the biggest stages (Olympics, WJC, Montreal) and is ready to lead. Again, respectfully, you don’t make the kind of investment Montreal has made in PK if the leadership group doesn’t think he’s ready. My other possibility is Max.

• JF says:

I don’t disagree, I’m just not sure whether Bergevin will. Also the rest of the team, in the event the captain is chosen by vote.

6. BJ says:

As we are still 50 or so days before we start using some vocabulary when things are not going well with our favourite team. Please read below for an enlightening educational fact:

Subject: Manure…an interesting fact
    Manure : In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common. It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by product is methane gas of course.
    As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen. Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOM!
    Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening. After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction ‘ Stow high in transit ‘ on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.
    Thus evolved the term ‘ S.H.I.T ‘, (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.
    You probably did not know the true history of this word. Neither did I.
    I had always thought it was a golf term

7. myron.selby says:

People keep wondering why Danny Kristo was traded when he seemed like such a good prospect. My assumption was that he had no intention of playing for Montreal. I would hazard a guess that he wanted to play in the US.

I think Bergevin did a great job getting something in return for him. I think the deal was that Kristo would sign with Montreal as long as they guaranteed to trade him over the summer.

As to why he wouldn’t simply wait until he became a UFA a la Schultz or Hayes – by signing with Montreal he burned up a year of his ELC and would reach true UFA status a year earlier.

• Marc10 says:

Yes. Sounds like a fairly likely scenario. The Rags went massively sideways this summer with some of their workhorses in the playoffs leaving the ranch.

I suspect Kristo gets a long look if he trained hard in the off season. In any event, I hope that, if he does make the show, he ends up on the wrong end of an Emellin hip check.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Makes no sense.

If he waits he gets to pick his team.

If he signs with Montreal, he goes wherever they trade him.

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

• Marc10 says:

Sign and trade? I could see that.

MTL likes the Thomas kid. Calls up Sather and agrees to sign and trade Kristo under agreed terms. He goes where he wants and is one year closer to UFA and the Habs get a player they want back.

• Mark C says:

I keep wondering why people continue to talk about him. I like him as much as the next guy, but it’s not like he’s a top-100 prospect. Hell, he might not even be in the top 250. If he was still in Montreal’s system, he would be fighting to stay in the top-10. I think he’ll find his way onto someone’s 3rd line, and likely have a better career than Thomas. But I don’t see anything to suggest he’s better than any number of players already in Montreal’s system (de la Rose, Andrightetto, Sekac, etc).

• CJ says:

If Kristo was such an established prospect, he would have cracked the Rangers lineup, especially in the wake of the many injuries they suffered last season. Fact is many, myself included, blew this prospect up bigger then we should have. He may yet play in the NHL, but I don’t see a game breaker or potential star on the horizon. He needs to be in the top six to be effective. He can not play on the third line. We have prospects who fit this same mold – not good enough for the top six, not big or strong enough for a checking role on the bottom six.

I don’t have a crystal ball, but that’s my account from the comfort of my couch.

• twilighthours says:

Rangers blog blueshirt banter wrote a scathing review of him recently.

8. Fansincebirth says:

Hey folks….haven’t been on here for quite a while so no idea where conversations have been going with respect to seeing Habs games on TV.

I’m hearing basically that if you don’t live in Quebec, the chance of watching a game is pretty much zero, unless they are playing in Ottawa, Toronto or Winnipeg.

Is there truth behind this?

• Habitant in Surrey says:

Folks living in Quebec & Maritimes, and east of Belleville will not have the problems those of Us west of Belleville Ontario to British Columbia will have.

• Dust says:

No you can watch the habs games if you live outside the habs region.
      around 30 games will be shown nationally on either CBC City TV and sportsnet.
      To get the other 50 game you would need to subscribe to either centre ice or gamecentre.
      The other option is to find streams online.

Habs fans outside of the montreal region will have the same experience watching their fav team as a leaf fan that lives outside of the toronto region or any other franchise for that matter.

We had it better than everyone for awhile. now we have it the same as everyone else.

9. CJ says:

Good evening friends.

Just landed, safely, back in the Nation’s Capital following our vacation in good old PEI. It was good enough for Bud the Spud – that son of a gun, who tore the tar off the 401…., so naturally it was good enough for me. Our weather was ideal, and only bettered by the wonderful company, delicious foods we ate, new friends, and sight seeing – all of which were afforded in abundance. We enjoyed the lighthouse at Point Prim, the coconut pie at the bakery in Montague, Gahan’s and Row House in Charlottetown, the Cow’s Creamery tour, the beach at Basin Head and golf at Dunderave and Crowbush. Oh, I also found a nice luncheon – windows on the water in Montague and my wife enjoyed the winery tour not far from our rental home in Murray Island. Unfortunately, I was only able to meet one member of the commentariat, but what a wonderful gentleman he was. Kevin, once again, our sincere thanks for your willingness to meet us, your advice on clams (they turned out brilliantly) and beach recommendation.

There really are no better people than the folks on this forum. We might disagree on personnel moves, but the passion that unites us all helps to forge a lasting bond and, thus far, has afforded me the opportunity to meet some amazing people.

In any event, I’m wiped so it’s off to bed.

Cheers, CJ

10. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

RE: Proposed fights

The only fight I want to see is Chara versus McGratton. The best fighter IMO against the champ.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Did you watch the fiasco game against the Seahawks on Friday?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Not all of it. When the best thing was that the back-up looked capable, it was not a good performance. Manti Te’ow hurt again…what a terrible trade/pick. They could have easily picked another linebacker later with their lower 2nd round pick and another player in the 4th. Thank God they got Keenan Allen. Anyway, they need a freakin’ nose tackle like Jamal. If they can’t stop the run then they better score some points (what else is new…LOL). Nobody better than the 49ers and the Seahawks anyways.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

How you pick Manti after the National championship game, against Bama is beyond me. Especially with the girlfriend debacle…

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Forget that. How did they trade up for him after that awful combine performance??? Way below average speed and strength for his position. How are you supposed to shed blocks, run down RBs/QBS and cover TEs without strength and speed? I don’t care how smart he is and how well he anticipates. I love Telesco but he blew this one.

11. Un Canadien errant says:

The reaction to the Kevin Hayes pursuit is hitting all the notes that the Justin Schultz situation did two years ago. On one hand there are detractors who rightly point out that this player is not a guaranteed superstar, just a prospect, no better than a hundred or so NHL prospects already under contract, at least. Plus, Mr. Hayes only had his one great season, his breakout year, last season as a college senior, playing against a lot of eighteen and nineteen year old freshmen.

What this narrative fails to point out is that those other, better prospects are already locked up by other teams, they were snapped up at the draft, and a lot of teams never had a shot at them. Kevin Hayes is now an unrestricted free agent, who can sign with anyone, he’ll be found money to the team that signs him, an ‘asset’ dropped in their lap. It’ll be like adding an extra first-rounder to an organization’s prospect pool.

Further, this asset is close to matured. Contrary to a Mike McCarron or Nikita Scherback, who’ll need a few seasons of development in the lower levels, Kevin Hayes is 22 years old, fully grown, pretty much ready to go. He may need some time to adapt to pro hockey by playing in the AHL, but it will be comparatively short.

Finally, adding Kevin Hayes is virtually risk-free, since he will have to sign an Entry-Level Contract, which is by necessity a two-way deal. Its salary, its bonus structure, all are governed by the CBA, and if the player doesn’t pan out, there will be no cap hit to speak of, he’ll toil in the minors until the contract runs out. The only cost to the team will be to spend one of its 50 contracts-limit slots on him. Everyone agrees that’s not much of a drawback at all.

We see this rationale every spring when undrafted college free agents hit the market. This year, players like Christian Folin probably entertained offers from twenty teams of more, with the kicker that there was no real ‘bidding’ war, with the ELC’s specifying most of the contract parameters. Players were left to choose teams based on how they felt they would fit there, in terms of their chances of cracking the roster, geographic location, sytem, etc. (The Canadiens did relatively well in this gold rush, snapping up Daniel Carr and David Makowski.)

I’m not sure when these undrafted college free agents first hit public consciousness, when they first garnered attention as opposed to being considered minor-league fodder, the dregs of pro hockey, but for me it was in the eighties, when the Red Wings made a big splash signing two of them the same season. At the time the Red Wings were a pitiful team, they’d been at the bottom of the standings for years, and must have decided to try this avenue to improve.

They won the bidding war for Ray Staszak, a big, fast, high-scoring college player who reporters explained might be comparable to Bill Barber. And at the time, there were no limits on contracts, no salary cap, but also no set entry-level deals, so there was in effect a true salary auction, and the Red Wings paid through the nose to sign him. There was a lot of pressure on him to produce, since he was as a rookie earning more than most pros were at the time. Unfortunately, he never developed as envisioned for them.

The other guy they signed, the next-best player available, was a two-way smart player named Adam Oates. I remember thinking his name didn’t really fit for a hockey player, it wasn’t a cool hockey name like Ray Staszak, and so what if he’s a passer. Those guys are everywhere, you can get a Pierre Mondou anytime at the draft. Sure enough though, this would be the guy who would justify his big rookie contract with the Wings and go on to even bigger and better things.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

• Paz says:

If you were his agent wouldn’t you expect a guarantee that he sticks in the NHL?

There are teams that are willing to give these guarantees, at least for 1 season. But Montreal can not really be one of them. We have too many spots already filled.

So we would have to emphasize the real possibility that he spend time in Hamilton.

Calgary and other non playoff teams have lots of room on their rosters, and that’s how Edmonton signed Schultz.

• Marc10 says:

Yes. You’d have to believe he gets a real shot at the show and a one way contract. And yes, Calgary has his best buds and the cap space. The downside is he’ll play on a team that will get owned most nights.

• on2ndthought says:

I’d say the jury is still out on Schultz. He looks good with the puck, but there is more to being an NHL defenceman. I’d love to see Hayes vye for playing time in Montreal or Hamilton, but I’ll be surprised to see big contributions from him for a couple of years.

“a cannonading drive”

12. JUST ME says:

Again the poll question should have more options like i do not know of just about the same cause this is where i am right now with the Habs.
    Generally the offense should be about the same maybe a tad better. Defensively we should be better . At times last year it was scarry and most of our d- men had their tough stretches…

Special units should be better cause there was lots of place to improve.
    -In details i trust that PA is a good addition to the squad and will do better in the regular season.
    -With all the players that are gone we lost over 4000 nhl experience games. That`s a lot and we will suffer from it.
    -We have lots of new blood and made place for young kids and that cannot be negative.
    -We have a good situation with the deals on hand that are all tradable if need be but not any of they will hurt us.
    -I expect us to have about the same number of points at the end of the season.
    -i remain realistic about the coach`s luck in the moves he made last season. Cannot last at such a high rate of succes as last season.
    -I believe that there may be a hidden card in the roster right now. That Sekac guy puzzles me, some say De La Rose some Andrighetto…

But most of all i think that the most important positive factor of that team is that we eliminated the bucking fruins !!! That has to be the best souvenir that will last a long long time ! Kept me going should keep the team riding high too !

13. JUST ME says:

Listened to my first rugby game from start to finish today and actually really enjoyed it ! Just to show you that it does not take much to catch on ..Hats off to the canadian girls that did us proud . Final score does not indicate how the game went and the girls really had the edge on many aspect of the game. The England team had more speed surges that seemed to take our girls off guard though. Congrats !

14. Habitant in Surrey says:

Rogers NHL Habs Petition

The Rogers NHL Habs Petition is to protest the drastic reduction of access to watch Montreal Canadiens games west of Quebec, from central Ontario to British Columbia.

Rogers’ premise on winning the NHL’s exclusive national broadcasting rights was more access, more choice, more games on more mediums.

Montreal Canadiens fans, the largest most diverse sports team fan base in Canada, were shocked to find instead there will be a serious reduction of access and cable choice west of Quebec.

As a result, we are protesting the effects of the NHL’s allocation of exclusive national broadcasting rights to Rogers (Sportsnet) in Canada, as well the splitting of the local and regional broadcast rights of Habs’ games between TVA sports, RDS & TSN.

TVA Sports purchased from Rogers the French-language national broadcast rights for the Montreal Canadiens. These national French language broadcast rights formerly belonged to RDS.

This has resulted somehow in TVA only being able to broadcast 22 Habs games during the 2014-2015 season.

What seems crazy to most Habs fans is that TVA actually have rights for 220+ games, yet only 22 of those 220+ games will be a Habs’ game. 33 will be Boston Bruins’ games, 25+ will be Toronto Maple Leafs’ games.

The Petition protests too the NHL’s own corporate national black-out rules which we believe are restricting Canadian broadcasters (i.e., Rogers and TVA) from creating and offering to Montreal Canadiens fans (and hockey fans in general) the value added cable products and national access today’s technology and broadcasting infrastructure is today capable of.

We believe the NHL’s own corporate national black-out rules are ham-stringing Rogers, TVA and Bell from innovating cable products such as dedicated team cable channels, i.e., a national value-added ‘Habs Channel’, a ‘Canucks Channel’ or ‘Leafs Channel’, etc., are anti-competitive and are limiting consumer CHOICE and raising significantly the COST to the consumer, the fans.

The Montreal Canadiens fan-base is the largest and most diverse hockey club fan base in the world and the most respected sports’ brand in Canada. Why is not a Montreal Canadiens’ cable channel economically feasible and available across Canada ? It makes no rational sense.

The only reason it is not economically feasible is because of the NHL’s own corporate national black-out rules, plus the dog’s breakfast of split corporate rights and rivalries.

The Petition demands Rogers, Bell (RDS/TSN) and TVA to cooperate and joint-venture to create the inclusive value-added cable products hockey fans want and demand, or if they do not this will in short-time realize a very angry consumer fan-base.

Habs’ fans across Canada do not want to be searching across multiple channels on television trying to find where their team is accessible on different nights. They do not want to be listening to ‘foreign’ play-by-play announcers describing the game of their beloved team.

Habs fans deserve respect from the NHL, Rogers, TVA and Bell !

Rogers showed disrespect to Montreal Canadiens fans by selling the French language broadcast rights to TVA (a division of Quebecor).

TVA currently does not have the broadcasting infrastructure to cost-efficiently broadcast the Montreal Canadiens nationally, in our opinion.

The splitting of local, regional and the national broadcasting rights of the Montreal Canadiens between Rogers, TVA, RDS and TSN is farcical in our opinion. The Rogers’ Deal with the NHL is a demeaning farcical dog’s breakfast to Montreal Canadiens’ fans across Canada !

The Petition feels all the entities should jointly-partner to remedy this dog’s breakfast, and create added-value cable products both in English and French for currently angry and frustrated Montreal Canadiens fans across Canada.

At minimum the full Habs 82 game French language schedule must be reintroduced across Canada.

In the Rogers NHL Habs Petition’s opinion the biggest obstacle for that to happen is the NHL’s own corporate national black-out rules.

In the United States, a US Court have recently allowed a class-action suit to proceed against the NHL’s national black-out rules. The US class-action suit decries the NHL black-out rules as anti-competitive, and not in the best interest of fans/consumers.

We think there is a similar case to be made in Canada against the NHL’s black-out rules. This will be a developing story.

For both French and English Montreal Canadiens fans, the Rogers’ NHL 12 year exclusivity agreement will result in an unadulterated NIGHTMARE beginning October 2014 unless the entities cooperate to find a resolution !

The NHL’s black-out rules are intended to force subscriptions to Rogers’/ NHL’s Game Centre & Centre Ice premium products, which at a cost of $ 200+/year will be unaffordable and will cost-out the average fan from long-distance following their favourite teams.

The Montreal Canadiens organization, themselves, must recognize, over time, this will as well result in the loss of thousands of Habs fans west of Quebec, whom will have no alternative but to follow other teams that are more accessible and affordable.

The Rogers NHL Habs Petition exists to document the support of frustrated and angry Montreal Canadiens fans that want these issues fixed and corrected by the NHL, Rogers, TVA, Bell and the Montreal Canadiens.

The Petition, though, is also meant to be constructive to the NHL, Rogers, TVA, Bell and the Montreal Canadiens to understand the reasons of consumer frustrations and the resulting anger so they can adjust their broadcast products to meet our expectations and demands.

At this time, Montreal Canadiens fans west of Quebec feel abandoned by the Montreal Canadiens, and unhappy with the effects of the Rogers Deal and the NHL’s corporate national broadcast black-out rules.

Why do we call it the Rogers NHL Habs Petition ? Because, unfortunately for Rogers, Rogers have now the overall exclusivity of national broadcast rights. We feel Rogers must be the catalyst and initiator to seek compromise and partnership among the other parties, including the NHL, Bell, TVA and the Montreal Canadiens.

Black-out rules, specifically restricting French language broadcasts of Montreal Canadiens games across Canada by the NHL we believe seriously conflict with the spirit of Canada’s constitutionalised bilingual and cultural mandates.

The Rogers NHL Habs Petition demands the entities to create an inclusive value-added cable choice product such as a national ‘Habs Channel’. In the interval, we demand the return of the broadcast of all 82 games nationally in the French language.

We request you to sign The Petition now and show the NHL, Rogers, TVA, Bell and the Montreal Canadiens how much we love and will miss our Habs !! –and, are now very angry about the serious reductions in our Habs’ cable access this coming 2014-2015 season in both French and English !.

Some may say the NHL and Rogers, whom bought the rights, can do as they please. I, and others, say ‘not so fast, buckos !’ Beware the angry customer !

The Montreal Canadiens is not a ‘hockey franchise’ like any other, it is also a national sporting and cultural institution, extremely important to folks from Whitehorse in the Yukon to Conception Bay Newfoundland.

The Montreal Canadiens is a unique sports, cultural and linguistic institution across Canada, not only in Quebec, unlike any other NHL team.

The Montreal Canadiens represent the most overall respected sports brand in Canada, coast to coast to coast.

If we Habs fans do not show Our frustration, anger and rejection of, the NHL’s, Rogers’ and TVA’s disrespect of Montreal Canadiens’ fans, they indeed will do as they please.

The Petition advises do not underestimate the power of bad press, lost business and tens if thousands of incensed Habs’ fans !

With enough vituperation the restriction of French language broadcasts, especially, of the Montreal Canadiens, have the potential to become a cultural and linguistic political issue.

Let’s keep pounding away at the NHL, Rogers, TVA, Bell and the Montreal Canadians.

Do not let-up until there is an affordable product for all income-groups of Habs’ fans across Canada to watch their treasured team play it’s full 82 game schedule in a way that is respectful, not restricted, convoluted, nor too expensive for everyone but the well-to-do.

Results may not happen over-night. They may be deathly resisted by the executives of the NHL, Rogers, Bell, TVA and the Montreal Canadiens in New York City, Toronto and Montreal. But, let’s not waver until they agree to deliver to Habs fans what they want and deserve.

I am certain if Rogers marketed it the right way, with it’s partners, this will be a win-win for both Rogers, it’s partners, and Montreal Canadiens fans !

____________________________________________________

Please read and sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

15. B says:

I believe the upcoming dates are:
    Sept. 11 – Rookie Camp Opens
    Sept. 17 – Medicals
    Sept. 18 – Main Training Camp Opens

Sept. 23 – Preseason game, home vs Boston
    Sept. 25 – Preseason game, home vs Avs
    Sept. 26 – Preseason game, vs Avs in Quebec City
    Sept. 28 – Preseason game, home vs Caps
    Oct. 1 – Preseason game, vs Hawks in Chicago
    Oct. 3 – Preseason game, vs Sens in Ottawa
    Oct. 4 – Preseason game, home vs Sens

Oct. 8 – Season opener in Toronto

–Go Habs Go!–

16. Phil C says:

Ref: Poll question, I think they are definitely a better team primarily because they have upgraded the defense with the addition of Weaver and Gilbert and sliding Emelin back to the left. They have upgraded fourth line centre assuming Malhotra has something left in the tank.

Goal scoring might be a concern again. If PAP ends up in the dog house like with Roy, it could be a rough season. If he finds some magic with DD, it could make a big difference on the season. Galchenyuk is another wild card offensively. Is he ready to break out and will he be out with players that can use his skills? Will they get playoff Eller/Bourque or regular season Eller/Bourque? Does Malhotra have anything left in the tank? How much abuse can Gallagher take playing top six minutes or is he better playing 3rd line minutes? Can any propect break through into the top 9? Lots of question marks on offense. I think they will be playoff team regardless, but it’s hard to say yet if they are among the elite until we see how some of these variables on offense play out.

• Hobie says:

One thing I’ve learned by watching the Habs for so many years is when there’s too many “ifs” and “maybes” it’s a bad thing. So like you mention above, if PAP does this or if Galchenyuk does that and if Eller/Bourque…

So ya, like you, the offense worries me a tad.

Hobie’s Habs Video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byrgZ90b5Yw&feature=youtu.be

• otter649 says:

PAP Will Be An Upgrade For Sure On Briere….

– Stanley come home…..

• Marc10 says:

One thing I’ve learned is the exact opposite. In 08 the entire roster was one giant ‘if’ and they came through and won the East.

A couple of years later with a roster full of tiny forwards and an unproven Slovak goalie, they smoked Ovie’s best chance at a final and carved up the Crosby led Pens to boot.

Last year we took yet another step and went to the Conference final. A huge step up from the previous year.

This is a more balanced team than last year’s. The kids are another year older. We have speed and size in some key positions. We have an all world goaltender. The only ‘if’ for me is fixing the powerplay. It can be done.

• habstrinifan says:

I think offense ill be predicated on 4 things. one f which you have already hinted at.

1) Parenteau must form a competent line with Pacioretty/dd/Pacs.
      I see no other option for him. If he slips to 3rd/4th line… forget any team improvement offensively…. also any other set of linemates on a consistent basis is gonna be an admission of sam-o same-o line juggling wit unspectacular production.

2) Eller Galchenyuk Gallagher must become the dual line. Offense and defense. Galchenyul and Eller must step it up offensively.

3) Gilbert = > 2nd PP option than ANY from 2013-2014.

4) Coach Therrien and new asst coaches must adjust strategies a bit, like Quenville had to in Chicago.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

17. Mavid ® says:

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

18. JohnBellyful says:

To follow up one poster’s poll on who’s better among players, here’s one for fight fans.
    In their prime, who wins these bouts:

1.) Dave Schultz vs Dave Semenko
    2.) Zdeno Chara vs Larry Robinson
    3.) Tie Domi vs Stan Jonathan
    4.) Ron Hextall vs Billy Smith
    5.) Bob Probert vs Brian McGrattan
    6.) Ted Lindsay vs Rocket Richard
    7.) Bob Nystrom vs Brendan Shanahan
    8.) Shawn Thornton vs Chris Neil
    9.) Gordie Howe vs John Ferguson
    10.) Wendel Clark vs Shayne Corson
    11.) Orland Kurtenbach vs John Wensink
    12.) Wayne Cashman vs Chris Nilan
    13.) Dave Keon vs Henri Richard
    14.) Tiger Williams (stick) vs Tiger Woods (club)
    15.) Betty vs Mary Ann (edited: not Mary Lou)
    16.) Samson vs Goliath

• Lafleurguy says:

17.) JB vs. UCe (Loonie followed Georges St. Pierre)

• Hobie says:

I can’t go through that entire list because I’ve only seen about half the players play. I’m 38-years-old so I can really only comment on guys that I saw starting in the mid to late 80s.

Zdeno Chara vs Larry Robinson: I think Larry could make it interesting but unfortunately Chara is one of the toughest players to beat in a fight because of his size. A 30-year-old Chara would beat up Robinson at any age.

Tie Domi vs Stan Jonathan: Domi was an unbelievable fighter. He could easily take out guys half a foot taller and 40lbs heavier. SO ya, Domi.

Bob Probert vs Brian McGrattan: By the end of Probert’s career the average size of an enforcer increased dramatically. McGrattan is a beast. However, I believe Probert beats McGratton when Bobby is in his prime.

Shawn Thornton vs Chris Neil: Thornton has really fallen off the last couple years. It would have been tough to pick a winner at one point but I think Neil has always been slightly better.

Wendel Clark vs Shayne Corson: Corson is a bit bigger and stronger but Clark had such raw emotion that I have to give him the slight edge. Clark would fight guys like Probert and McSorley where Corson would steer clear.

Wayne Cashman vs Chris Nilan: Nilan would destroy him.

• habstrinifan says:

Totally disagree with you. I saw Neil handle Chara very efficientlty. Chara is big. But his strength is not superlative but rather a result of his size.

Don’t see Chara beating Larry Robinson… a better fighter than Chara has ever shown to be.

I agree with EVERYONE of your other choices. Especially Clark and Nilan. Domi vs Jonathan would be very close though.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• Hobie says:

I mentioned Chara when he was 30-years-old. I’ve seen the fight where Neil ends up throwing Chara down. There was a fight last season, I think, where Thorburn from the Jets beat him as well. I think Chara has slowed down in the last 2-3 years but I’d still go with Chara over Robinson when Chara was in his prime. My opinion, could be wrong though my friend. I’d be cheering for Robinson for sure!

• Un Canadien errant says:

I hate to say I agree with you Hobie, although I understand trini’s point. Yes Larry could have fought him and won, but Zero would have known that, and would have queered the fight right from the get-go, and used his reach and wrestling moves to avoid a classic hockey fight. In a sense he would have done what Chris Nilan used to do, which is nullify the opponent’s advantage.

Plus, in his prime Larry was an absolute beast compared to other players, offhand only maybe Barry Beck, Clarke Gillies, a couple of others had his natural, scary size and strength (Willi Plett?) But modern players who are 6’3″ and 220 lbs are a dime a dozen, and the training methods they employ make it an unfair fight.

• Cal says:

1. Semenko’s reach KOs Shultz
      2. I refuse to answer on the grounds that it might get me ban-ned.
      3. Jonathan- tough as nails.
      4. Billy, Billy, Billy!
      5. Probert in his prime in a close one.
      6. The Rocket.
      7. Nystrom
      8. Draw
      9. Gordie would fell him with an elbow, but only after Fergie walloped him a few times.
      10. Wendy, er, Wendel
      11. Kurtenbach was one of the greatest ever.
      12. Nilan in a flurry.
      13. The Pocket would go nuts.
      14. Williams would whack him with a slapper and then ride his stick like a pony as he skated away.
      15. Betty over Mary Lou. (Use your imagination.)
      16. I think Goliath would tear off David Samson’s head and eat his brains, but that’s speaking as an old Expos fan.
      17. JB in a laugh off.

• frontenac1 says:

Ok I’ll play. 1) Semenko 2)Big Bird.3)Domi.4)Hextall 5) Gratts.6)Draw.7)who cares?8)Neil.9)Fergy.10)Clark.11)Wensink.12)Knuckles.13)its over before it starts. 14)Tiger Woods ex-wife. 15) in mud or jello? 16) I just lost interest.

• Peter Young says:

6. as a draw is way off the mark. Lindsay was scrappy. Richard was an excellent fighter, he had training and experience as a boxer and also had more weight and a great deal more strength than Lindsay. One other difference: Lindsay started fights, he was a willing fighter; Richard was not, he did not fight unless provoked beyond reason.

• southaltahab says:

Meant no disrespect to the Rocket. I’m not old enough to have seen these guys play. I just know they were both tough SOBs and could take care of themselves. Thought they were about the same size but I see that the Rocket is bigger so I should have given him the nod.

• southaltahab says:

Semenko
      Chara
      Jonathan
      Hextall. Did you mean Dennis or Ron?
      McGratton
      Lindsay-Rocket Draw
      Shanahan
      Neil
      Ferguson
      Clark
      Wensink-Just guessing
      Nilan
      Keon-Richard No idea
      Williams-Not even close
      Betty vs Mary Lou Also no idea but I’d watch. Meow.
      If little Davey can beat Goliath, I’m sure Samson is a lock, unless Delilah is around.

• habsgod says:

you forgot to include chris” knuckles nilan in this group against many of those guys,as i believe he’d destroy most if not all of them!

• piper says:

Dunno
      Dunno
      Samson

19. on2ndthought says:

Hockeybuzz does a take on Kevin Hayes:

“a cannonading drive”

Read that earlier this morning, an interesting take on the scenario. I can understand how a Hawks fan would also feel jaded by the young mans decision. We were nearly in the same scenario with Kristo, MB did get him signed but something always felt amiss about that scenario, and when he was traded for what felt like an inferior product it really made me wonder about how that decision went about in getting him signed.

I don’t remember all the details, but seem to recall reading a detail that allowed Kristo to get a bit more money immediately by signing with the Habs rather than waiting to go the route which Kevin Hayes has gone. Again, I don’t remember the details but somehow with Kristo it just never felt like he was going to be a Hab.

We have a nice dman up and coming in Didier who is entering his third season of College hockey. It seems rather crowded on our defence in Hamilton at the moment so him staying in college is good, but I wonder if a trend is developing with U.S. college hockey players.

Now more than ever, our player development staff are critical, communication with these young draft picks is imperative.

Sounds like Mr. Hayes is about to wined and dined by the NHL clubs these next few days.

• frontenac1 says:

So how does this work? A team drafts a kid, he finishes up his college in the States, and then he gives the team a big F*ck You? And the League awards a 2nd round pick to the team that just got it up the rump?

• HabFab says:

Two different issues at play here;
        – he can pass on playing for the team he is drafted by not signing or leaving school early and declaring himself a free agent.
        – the 2nd round draft pick is awarded for any 1st round draft pick that the team doesn’t sign. We got one a few years back for Fischer.

• B says:

“Chicago is cap strapped”. They can’t afford Hayes.

Montreal is in a similar boat now. If the opportunity to acquire a big goal scorer arises, the Hab’s likely won’t be able to fit him under their bulging cap.

–Go Habs Go!–

20. Cal says:

A little Shakespeare to while away a gloomy Sunday morn. Hark? Is that Michel Therrien I hear?

21. Bash says:

From The Hockey News: (2014/15 Predictions)

WHO IS THIS YEAR’S…

…RYAN JOHANSEN?
    Post-hype breakout
    Johansen, the fourth-overall pick in 2010, scored 14 goals in his first 107 games. In 2013-14, he exploded for 33 goals. A young gun set to go off this season is Alex Galchenyuk. He hasn’t been bad, tallying 58 points over his first two seasons, but he’s just scratching the surface of his ability, and he missed 17 games in 2013-14. He’s a future star, and a leap into the 60-point stratosphere is within reach.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

22. Habitant in Surrey says:

“If I am demoted to the AHL Hamilton, I will not give up and return to Europe. I will not give up so quickly to the NHL” – Jiri Sekac

“I hope so” – Jiri Sekac, when asked if we can expect a Czech-duo with Plekanec now that Brian Gionta has departed

Newly acquired Jiri Sekac during the off season reassures fans of the Montreal Canadiens that whether he makes the team out of training camp or plays the year in Hamilton, he is here to stay.

Sekac, who is a native of Kladno, Czech Republic has been training in the off season at home with the likes of Canadiens teammate Tomas Plekanec and Czech-star Jarmoir Jagr, who are from the same town.

Zachery Ellis, All About The Habs; http://www.allaboutthehabs.ca/sekac-assures-home-north-america/

23. Habitant in Surrey says:

Prospect Profile: Nikolas Koberstein; Mitch Brown, All About The Habs http://www.allaboutthehabs.ca/prospect-profile-nikolas-koberstein/

24. Habitant in Surrey says:

Do you think the Canadiens have a better team now than they did at the end of last season ?

Overall, talent-wise, YES !

Heart-wise ?, I’m not convinced. Time will tell.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Heart wise? Not much difference I guess. Talent wise? Not even close. Having Gilbert as our second RD instead of Emelin and Emelin as our third LD instead of Bouillon or Murray is a huge upgrade. With Markov, Beaulieu, Emelin and Tinordi on the left Gorges might not be a loss at all. On the other hand I´m not sure we won´t miss Gionta more than some think.

25. UKRAINIANhab says:

(On mobile can’t reply anymore)

I’ll leave you guys with this little beauty

Aerosmith’s BEST song imo.

26. Lagerhab says:

ok, to pass the time lets play name that tune.
    “i’m not into your passport picture, I just like to know”

27. Lagerhab says:

if there’s bussel in your hedgerow, don’t be alarmed now.
    It’s just the spring clean for the May queen. Love Zep!
    Zzzzzzz, training camp where are you?

28. petefleet says:

Watching the Leafs and Habs from Mar 3rd and I gotta tell you that the Habs will be decidedly better with Murray and Bouillon gone. They are both weak on the puck and give away machines. Put Tinordi/Beaulieu and Gilbert in the line up this season and the Habs should be great defensively. Poor Weaver and PK playing with those two duds. It was absolutely pathetic. I like the look of the defence for the coming season. Add to that that Emilen will be back on his strong side and it’s looking good for the Habs.
    Start the season already!!!!!

“Being on the PP doesn’t make you an offensive threat anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.”
    Henry Ford

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
    Abraham Lincoln

***Go Habs Go***

• piper says:

Murray brought what he was supposed to, toughness to the Habs blue line last year. Sure he was slow but he was quick enough to hammer guys along the boards and he did his job around his own net. IMO Tinordi can replace that add some speed.
      Beaulieu can replace the Cube and then some.
      Gilbert I hope will bring more than Gorges but he won’t be putting his body in front of as many shots a Josh did.
      The question marks will be, is moving Emelin to the other side going to make him that much better? And how much slower will Markov be this year and will the old body hold up?

• Coach K says:

Gorges was weak on the puck and his idea of a good first pass was to give it to P. K. ….Murray just couldn’t get to it in time but he did clear the front of the net when needed.

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

29. Habitant in Surrey says:

Has anyOne posted previously this classic black and white photo (circa 1964) of Toe Blake, Jean Beliveau and Henri Richard waiting for Their train at a US train station ?

____________________________________________________

If you are unhappy that Montreal Canadiens French language broadcasts will be blacked-out west of Quebec by the NHL’s national black-out rules, please read and sign the Rogers NHL Habs Petition. Thank You. Merci.

Read and sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

30. Habitant in Surrey says:

(Big?) ‘Changes At The Gazette This Fall'; Steve Faguy, blog.fagstein.com: http://blog.fagstein.com/2014/08/16/changes-at-the-gazette/

Lots of turn-over, including ‘Brenda Branswell returns to the city department after a year covering sports. She’ll swap with Christopher Curtis, who will stay in sports for a year before someone else gives it a try.’

Printing will now be out-sourced. Multi-media products to be introduced to try and keep-up with the shifting technology landscape.

Thank Gawd ! Stu Cowan’s, Pat Hickey’s and Dave Stubbs’ old-school butts aren’t going anywhere at this time, and Mothership HIO will stay in orbit within Our Habs’ Universe.

31. habsfan0 says:

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford accepts the ALS ice bucket challenge.

32. punkster says:

You got issues with Andrew Berkshire?

Then show up tomorrow, Sunday, August 17th, 2014 in Girouard Park in the NDG borough of Montreal on or about 2 PM, I believe.

Release the Subbang!!!

33. UKRAINIANhab says:

My team out in Saskatoon could beat the entire CFL east.

34. Lagerhab says:

When does trainning camp start? Pretty dead here today……is there anybody out there? Love Floyd!

Kevin Sutherland (new to the Sr. PGA Tour) is 13 under on the day through 16 holes, he may actually challenge the greatest round of golf of all time!

So GM Lou in New Jersey says Kovalchuk can’t come back to the NHL until he is 35yrs old, had no idea there was a specific time frame/age he had to endure/become before a possible return. (According to this blogger)

In case your wondering what Ranger fans are saying about Kristo these days on their blog site, here ya go.

It is interesting to read the comments below the article.

• Paz says:

If he figures it out at the NHL level he’s good for 25 to 35 a year.

One day it would be good to hear what really happened behind the scenes on that deal. I still have a suspicion he signed that contract with Montreal under the guise of getting traded, or something like that. Everything just didn’t seem to add up.

Have a great day Ed, hope you are well bud!

CHeers!

• Paz says:

The blogger is kind of an idiot. Kristo scored 25 goals in a season when he was often injured and missed games. He was also playing for crap team in the AHL. That’s the correct narrative here.

Kristo is a goal scoring winger, he’s not a set up man. You focus on his goals, like we do with Max.

He tied for 20th overall in goals scored for the entire AHL.

I’m pretty sure he will contribute more than Lee Stepniak

He has too much talent to be overlooked.

• CH Marshall says:

yikes! not too flattering..

38. Un Canadien errant says:

SI’s Allan Muir linked to a blog post on how Dallas’ defencemen are all lefties. Every single one on their NHL roster. And Jamie Oleksiak, the giant prospect they’re waiting on, is also leftie.

I’ve harped on the fact that, in the later rounds, the Canadiens have concentrated in the last couple of seasons on right-handed defenceman. They drafted Jarred and Nathan in the first round, but every other defenceman picked up was a rightie, after Mac Bennett was chosen five years ago.

I’ve guessed that it wasn’t entirely by chance that Trevor Timmins was focusing on righties, that they weren’t unfailingly the ‘best-player available’, that there was method to the madness. If your blue-chippers, those you can almost count on making it, are lefties, maybe all of your longshots should be right-handed, to even things out.

We’ve got a backlog of righties in Hamilton, with Greg Pateryn, Morgan Ellis, Darren Dietz, and now Dalton Thrower. Magnus Nygren is in the fold for now, as a mature offensive d-man prospect, and he’s righthanded. Josiah Didier is continuing his college career in Denver, and even-longer-shot Colin Sullivan is playing in the USHL, and yes both are righties.

And we added another rightie with 3rd-rounder Brett Lernout at the draft in June, before finally breaking the trend with Nikolas Koberstein in the fifth.

So are we in a position to deal with Jim Nill’s Stars? Surely he sees that his defence needs a major tweak, a shuffle to balance it out. There seems to be no help on the way, their farm system is also skewing to the left. Julius Honka, who they drafted in the first round this year, is a rightie, but he’s smallish and might be a few seasons away from being able to help.

It would be better if Magnus Nygren and/or Greg Pateryn were a step closer to the NHL, that they’d progressed to the point where Nathan Beaulieu is right now, a player who should have a roster spot out of training camp. Magnus Nygren has an impressive skillset, and Greg Pateryn had a solid, almost surprising AHL season. They’re not Evander Kane-worthy trade pieces, but to a team like the Stars, who are more desperate for right-handed help on the blue line, they might be kind of sparkly and tempting.

And the Canadiens could spare a couple of righties without being left destitute. If one or both of those guys leave, the Bulldogs, our system can continue chugging along, every other prospect takes a step up the ladder and we keep rolling. In fact, it might be healthy for our organization, and spur the development of the other guys, allow them to play more minutes in all situations. Dalton Thrower might not be headed to the ECHL anymore.

And what could interest Marc Bergevin in return? Might he want to take a superfluous leftie like Jamie Oleksiak off their hands, since they already have too many of those anyway? That might be nice, everybody wins.

A more realistic, and more attractive target might be Brett Ritchie though. A big right winger who can crash and bang but has offensive talent and can produce, that would fill a few needs on our team. He’s had one season in the AHL, and did well there, he’s getting close to the NHL, and could really help fill our hole on right wing.

He wouldn’t come cheap, the Canadiens would have to ante up more than a Pateryn-level prospect or two, there’d have to be a package and it would sting a little bit, but what makes it feasible, in my mind at least, is that both teams have what the other needs, the trade pieces align very well.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

And hopefully with our player development dept. being improved and Timmins probably having more of a voice, the team won’t trade away our best prospect as we did once before as I recall.

• Adidess says:

I’m trying to think whom you might be referencing here, Burly, and coming up blank. Would you help me out? Oh right, nevermind : )

UCE’s idea has merits, we’ll have to trade away or give up on some of these guys eventually anyway. But I am with you, we better make sure the one we’re offering up is a real throw-in this time.

• habstrinifan says:

Can’t be scared to trade when the scenario for a good trade is as sound as UCE’s. The Gomez trade was wrong not only because someone in the HABS misjudged McDonagh’s development but that same person or others completely overlooked the evidence that was saying loud and clear… Scott Gomez is not as good as his ‘great’ couple years with the Devils.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• piper says:

Would love to see Brett Ritchie with the Habs but like you said it would take quite a bit to get him. Big right shooting wingers are at a premium. I’d say Pateryn, Nygren and a first may get it done.

• HardHabits says:

Excellent articl… er… comment.

39. UKRAINIANhab says:

Who the _______ is Hayes?

40. B says:

Another NCAA player refuses to sign with the team that drafted him. I wonder if teams will think twice about spending a high pick on an NCAA player (or is that paint brush only used for Russians)?

–Go Habs Go!–

41. Ncognito says:

Just watched PK’s Ice Bucket Challenge. It would have been pretty fuuny to see him call out Sean Thornton due to the water bottle squirt job!

42. Ncognito says:

Good morning,

Just found out I’m in Ottawa for work late Sept to early Oct. Looking at attending the Oct 3rd game against Montreal. Anyone know when the preseason tickets go on sale? Also thinking of going to Montreal on Oct 4th for the game against Ottawa. Would the train be the best option to travel?
    Thanks!

EDIT: Just found out the tickets go on sale Tuesday, Aug 19th.

I’m there for 2 weeks. Any suggestions on great places to eat or have a few drinks?

43. shiram says:

On Hayes, if he’s interested in signing here, wouldn’t it make sense to try to make room for him?
    We do already have plenty forwards, but a free first rounder is not something to scoff at.

• on2ndthought says:

I tried to find out how many players, even at 22 years old, step right out of college to make an impact in the NHL. I don’t think Hayes is a sure thing this year, and it doesn’t sound like he feels the need for any development. Might be risky (or these may be more of those sour grapes).

“a cannonading drive”

44. JohnBellyful says:

If you’re feeling bored and want to take it up a notch try the fill in the blank quiz for hockey fans of all types

Novice
    Vancouver Canuck_
    A ____ is scored when the puck crosses the ___ line.
    The Conn Smythe Trophy is named after _________

More at http://johnbellyful.weebly.com/

45. Mavid ® says:

OOOPS 53 not enough coffee yet..am I fired?

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

HIO FAN SUMMIT NOV. 28th & 29th in Montreal

For everyone that want’s to join in, going to the HIO Summit, that have their own game tickets, or not. You are quite welcome at Hurley’s Pub Friday eve., Breakfast Sat. at Chez Cora’s, the Bell Center & Hall of fame tour’s at 10:30am. Without notification for me.

But for the Summit pre game dinner at the Baton Rouge and Montreal Canadiens Children Foundation raffle. Please give me a heads up so I can have the correct count for reservations. Don’t forget your charity gift donation each as well.
    See you all there.
    Ian

Itinerary Summit News, Pictures and comments

47. Cal says:

Training camp in a couple weeks and Bozon will be there. Excellent news.
    If the Habs land Hayes (I kinda doubt it, but just for fun) and he makes the team, where does that leave the RW situation?
    Parenteau likely plays with DD and Patches.
    Pleks will very likely have Sekac on RW.
    Eller would likely then have Gally.
    They wouldn’t sign Hayes to play 4th line, so something has to give.
    Even now, with the Habs new faces fighting for jobs, it’s going to be an interesting as hell training camp.

• JohnInTruro says:

Very true. Very exciting news on Bozon, no doubt the boys at camp will be proud to see him there.

• JF says:

I don’t see Hayes signing here. He wants to play in the NHL, and, as Chris points out below, there is unlikely to be room here this season. His closest friends are in Calgary. They’re a team that are rebuilding and are giving ice-time to young players. Last year it was Sean Monohan; this year it could be Hayes and a couple of others.

48. Mavid ® says:

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

49. crane says:

Hayes a done deal his two hockey hero’s Eller and Bork.
    Hayes wants to be a better person, to do that needs to be taught by M.T.

50. Harditya says:

Happy birthday to Carey Price!
    Can’t believe he’s 27 already, feels like yesterday when he joined the Habs as a 20 year old and had that run with Huet in 2007-08.

51. Habitant in Surrey says:

@UkrainianHab

Puck Daddy: ‘Citing the political instability in the region, Ukraine withdraws its bid to host the 2015 Division I Group A IIHF World Championships. The country was approved to host in the first round of voting. A new location will be decided in a month.’

Sorry to hear about that Uke :(

52. Say Ash says:

For you guys and gals who stream games, how much bandwidth do you go through for a typical three hour game?

53. Ghab says:

Great story and heart

54. Un Canadien errant says:

This is a good character test for Kevin Hayes. If he’s a fundamentally good person, he’ll sign with the Canadiens. If he’s your average unprincipled mercenary, he’ll sign to any one of a variety of teams. If he’s evil and rotten to the core, he’ll go to the Bruins. Or the Raiders.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

55. Chris says:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
    Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Parenteau
    Bourque-Eller-Weise
    Moen/Bournival-Malhotra-Prust

Barring injury, I just don’t see the opening for Sekac, let alone Hayes. We know that the likelihood of Prust being in and out of the lineup due to injury is high, which is why I don’t see Moen going anywhere. Bournival showed that he can play last season, and he can slot in for either Weise or Prust, depending on who is hurt.

The team might still look to add a fighter during training camp, but I don’t see any other moves. Hayes would be a nice add to the system, but he’s certainly not guaranteed ice time in Montreal this year, which is what he is looking for.

Boston is a nice fit because Hayes would be on a ELC, meaning they could deal a more expensive winger (Marchand?) or Chris Kelly to help them get into better cap shape (they don’t have much room to do opening day gymnastics this year, as Krug and Hamilton would both have to go through waivers).

Another team that could be a great fit would be Washington. They have a RW opening if they just move Ovechkin back to his preferred LW side. That bumps Aaron Volpatti and his 2 goals in 41 games out of the lineup. No big loss there.

• Kooch7800 says:

Calgary is another good option. I believe his best friends/linemates are flames prospects. Not to mention he would have a better than average shot at the nhl next season as the flames are weak on the right side.

There will be a few gm’s chasing him. Good for him though, not many young players can choose their team until they are a free agent

• Chris says:

If I had to choose between Washington or Calgary, I’m taking Washington. They aren’t that far away, as they have some impressive talent in the fold.

Calgary is in Year 0 of a full-out rebuild that is going to take 3-5 years.

• ClutchNGrab says:

On the other hand, who could have predicted Justin Schultz would have sign with the oilers after refusing the offer by Anaheim.

Calgary means almost guarenteed ice time.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think as he is older playing in the NHL would be one of the biggest considerations.

56. Habitant in Surrey says:

Non-hockey Stuff Warning !:

Annual Conde Nast Traveler survey; ‘What are the world’s friendliest/unfriendliest cities ?’

Most Friendly:

1) Auckland, New Zealand, tied; Melbourne, Australia (My personal favourite!)
    3) Victoria, British Columbia
    4) Charleston, South Carolina
    5) Sydney, Australia, tied; Dublin, Ireland

Most Unfriendly;

1) Johannesburg, South Africa
    2) Cannes, France
    3) Moscow, Russia
    4) Paris, France
    5) Marseille, France

• Habitant in Surrey says:

I presume these Conde Nast folks don’t visit Baghdad too often now-a-dayz

• UKRAINIANhab says:

I travel a bit (A LOT), going to France (Paris) to hit up the catacombs, in one week for work. So pumped http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacombs_of_Paris. Hope there friendly, doesn’t look good lol.

My friendly list

1) Swansea, Wales
      2) Montreal, Canada
      3) Belfast, Northern Ireland
      4) Shanghai, China
      5) Halifax, Canada

Unfriendly

1. Miami, USA
      2. Madrid, Spain
      3. Boston, USA
      4. Piscataway, USA
      5. New York, USA

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

First list seems reasonably accurate…second, not so much.

• wildwilly says:

It’s hard to judge because some countries “tell it like it is” and how that is perceived varies from person to person. Often people’s memories are influenced heavily by a positive or negative experience.

The places I ranked as favorites are where I engaged with many people, felt safe, and they genuinely enjoyed my presence. The negative countries were not bad. I simply didn’t have as positive an experience.

With that said, my rankings are:

Most friendly
      1. Japan
      2. Jordan
      3. Thailand
      4. France
      5. England

Least friendly
      1. Morocco
      2. New York
      3. China
      4. Switzerland
      5. Finland

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I´ve been to many places and in general I can´t complain but there were two very unfriendly cities:

1. Ulan Bator, Mongolia
      2. Vienna, Austria

I´m really happy Budapest is on the list among the friendliest cities. I love that city.

57. jols says:

Just saw PK’s ‘Ice Bucket Challenge’. Lol, the guy is something else. How can anyone not love the guy!!! He does everything to the max. Galchenyuk needs to learn a thing or two from this guy. lol.

58. UKRAINIANhab says:

“Nobody likes Shark week, as much as they pretend to like Shark week”

Anybody watch this Shark stuff on Discovery ?

59. Habitant in Surrey says:

‘Happy Kevin Hayes Day !’, Puck Daddy: http://yhoo.it/1qdLL4I

“The long-running favorite in the minds of many is Calgary, which long ago drafted and this spring signed both of Hayes’s linemates, Gaudreau and center Bill Arnold. Hayes has, in the past, called the two players his best friends.”

60. scamorza says:

Felicitations Tim!

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

61. on2ndthought says:

Way to go, Tim!
    We should expect him to be a couple of steps behind in rookie camp, and in his overall development. By mid-season hopefully he can restart the necessary progression through the ranks.

“a cannonading drive”

62. Habitant in Surrey says:

To come-back from a medically induced coma to being theoretically fit to compete at an NHL training camp within 4 or 5 months is almost miraculous, no ?

Any doctors in the house ?

Kudos not only to Tim, but as well the doctors and medical team in Kelowna.

63. Mavid ® says:

simply amazing that this young man will be at training camp

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

64. crane says:

If we had Sekac and Hayes both,it be so good,maybe somehow we could move D.D. and Gally to center.

65. habstrinifan says:

Re the comments about the location of the Canadian Tire Centre )where the Senators play) and the drive from about Nepean(an Ottawa suburb east of the stadium) and anywhere further east. So essentially anyone driving from main Ottawa.

I have driven charter buses to the games on several occasions. It is absolutely a nightmare drive… even with the newly designated buses and multi passengers lanes.

It is a bumper to bumper drive most of the way (an hour plus) for what should be a 30 min drive) and a total tie up to get into the stadium..even for buses.
    It is also a huge pain in the ar** for non game commuters. I only accept charters to the games now if my company is absolutely in need of a driver.
    And don’t even mention the post game traffic leaving the parking lots etc.

Ottawa is a small city but the location of the stadium certainly contributes to attendance problems.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• Mavid ® says:

absolutely its a stupid place to put an arena..all my west end friends and co workers hate it..every game day their commute home takes twice as long..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• on2ndthought says:

It’s not just the arena. Many (most, but I do know some exceptions) Ottawa fans are great front runners and boisterous when the Sens have a lead. The place becomes a mausoleum as soon as they are down though, and Habs, Leafs game are at least 50/50 for the visitors.

“a cannonading drive”

• Mavid ® says:

Yep..been to several Habs and Leafs games they take over the building..its pretty funny actually. To a lesser degree its the same with other teams, I went to a game against Boston and there was tons of Boston Fans..Pittsburg..same thing. Once I went to Yotes game..lots of their jerseys in the stands as well..never been to a building like that anywhere

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Habfun says:

That is a fact! Senator fans are so in your face when they are winning but when they’re not, you don’t hear a peep from them! And if you talk about the Habs to them they get all hurt and won’t talk about it! they say you are rubbing it in! of course I am stupid! I think I can tolerate Leaf fans easier!

It’s all about the CH

66. Habfan17 says:

It is awesome that Bozon will be at camp! I am very happy for the young man and his family.

I think that the Habs would have a decent chance to sign Hayes. From what I have read, he wants to go to a team where there are openings on the right side. The Habs did sign Parenteau, but lost Vanek and Gionta. Sekac is a left wing, he said so and so did Bergevin. Bourque could move down to the 3rd line if Sekac shows he belongs on the second line, or he could move to the right side. Of course, that doesn’t account for where Galchenyuk will be playing. That does leave a spot on the right side unless one of the prospects steps up. I don’t see that likely on the right side this season. Hayes would fill a few needs.

Habfan17

• on2ndthought says:

Look at Boston. Hayes only has to beat out Caron OR Fraser for a starting job on a cup contender. It looks like the fix is in. Damn Chiarelli, he knows his business. Hope I’m wrong about this.

On the other hand, this kids hasn’t played 50 games in a season ever, and has not been in a professional game.

“a cannonading drive”

• Habfan17 says:

Not that easy yet, he is still over the cap and has other players still to sign. If he signs Hayes, he will have to make at least one trade, if not two. As Habitant In Surrey points out way above, both of Hayes’s ex college linemates and best friends are in Calgary!

Habfan17

• on2ndthought says:

not so sure. an entry level conract will just push another (Caron) down to the AHL. Also, Savard’s contract is only on the books for a day a year (I think)

“a cannonading drive”

• Habfun says:

I my mind the Booins are on a down cycle. I don’t believe they are contenders anymore!

It’s all about the CH

67. montreal ace says:

I’m very happy to hear Tim is doing well, along with young Alex.

68. savethepuck says:

I can’t imagine there is anyone who comes on here that is not rooting for this kid to succeed. I wish him all the best in attaining his dream.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

69. Un Canadien errant says:

The HockeyBuzz article linked to by Luke is erroneous. ‘Garth’ goofed, the second-round pick that the Hawks will receive in compensation for Kevin Hayes won’t come from the team that signs him to a contract, it will be tacked on in the middle of the round by the league, as a special compensatory pick. So there will be 31 picks in the second round next season.

So Marc Bergevin or any other GM doesn’t have to “invest a a second round pick” to acquire Hayes. He’s free as a bird, like Edmonton was to sign Justin Schultz two seasons ago. They didn’t have to send a second-rounder to the Ducks to do so.

One clue for the author could have been, if he’s not up on his details, that Mr. Hayes is an unrestricted free agent. If a team had to surrender a pick to sign him, technically, he wouldn’t have been a UFA, but a restricted free agent.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

70. UKRAINIANhab says:

Go Tim!

71. BJ says:

The young man has come a long way. Looking forward to seeing him on the ice.

72. 4loorplay says:

Nirvana is earned…good luck

73. Loop_Garoo says:

Chicago prospect, now free agent. He is still a minor league player but not for long.

74. twilighthours says: