Bourque to wear number 27

bourque

The knock on René Bourque, per Bob McKenzie and many others, is inconsistency.
The newest Canadien is said to be a talented and effective player … when he feels like playing.
Bourque will wear the number last worn by Alex Kovalev.
Hmmmm …

AUDIO: Randy Cunneyworth | Travis Moen | Mathieu Darche | Lars Eller | Max Pacioretty | Michael Blunden | Peter Budaj

• Bourque arrives in Montreal late this afternoon

• New line at practice: Tomas Plekanec between Michael Blunden and Scott Gomez

• Gomez is leading stretches at centre ice. At morning skate in Boston, it was Cammalleri

1. therealrocky says:

what is getting me the most mad about this trade is not the trade itself its some of the habs fans who are thanking cammalleri for his 2.5 years as a habs sure he had 1 great playoff run but as a die hard fan of the habs since the day i was born i cant understand why you could ever thank a player who gets paid 6 million dollars has 1 good run doesn’t win a cup and has only played for the team for 2.5 years making matters worse one of the most selfish players they had you can call it passion or whatever you want but you never call out your team and management to the media only selfish bad team players do that hes no beliveau or richard or for that matter in the recent era koivu

2. LaSalle17 says:

Reading these posts is making me shake my head. Cammalleri for Bourque is a robbery…BY CALGARY!! How anyone here can actually think that Bourque will improve this team is dreaming. Seems that Gauthier panicked and took the first offer, and it wasn’t even a good one.

• fastfreddy says:

Red Fisher was right. It took Gauthier all this time to figure out the team was too small , weak, and not gritty enough? Mr.Molson, wake up, hire a REAL HOCKEY G.M.

• rhino514 says:

I loved Cammalleri. But the trade is no robbery because of the cap space saved. Effectively, it gives the habs room to add another three million dollar forward. And the seond round pick and prospect, though longshots are a nice little bonus.
      But I still think JM should be on the team, Kaberle shouldnt, and Cam should. And I believe the team would be at least at fivehundred, probably a couple of games over, if that were the case.
      A ton of things went against the team this season, but it was still the same character-laden team that has been so tough in the playoffs. Nothing in common with the Koivu team that needed to be blown up.
      Sometimes a season isn´t meant to be. You do your best and look forward to next year.
      Look at the succesful teams like Detroit. They don´t go trading and firing every time they go into a prolonged slump, specially when it was ALL due to injuries and bad luck in overtime games.

3. novahab says:

For all you losers out there that are brain washed by the Leaf media . PK gets mugged, punch and god knows what is said to him. If he played for the Leafs he be the greastest in the world. Cherry painted a target on his head and Gary the crook Bettman allows all teams do what they want. How stupid people can be, they are just trying to start crap so the fans will get on him yo get him traded. Just like they did to Roy and Lemeuix. Put PK up for a trade and see how many calls PG gets the phone won’t stop ringing.

4. novahab says:

As far as Cammy goes, i have no respect for a guy who cries and lays down onhis team. he hadn’t put a good effort in in months. Frankly if PG is bring in the grit and going bigger i am all for it. Lets start a arms race and look out Philly and Boston. If the Habs get tougher and find a few fighters do you think you ‘ll get a ticket when the Bruins come to town.

5. Adidess says:

Agree with you on both counts, Ferg. You gotta think the transaction didn’t get completed until the game was underway, so once the deal was done you couldn’t risk an injury. You know what would have been more humiliating to Cammi: have him come out in the third and sit on the bench with all those cameras pointing out the missed shifts and the awkwardness of the whole thing. Much worse in my opinion.
    On Subban, he needs to calm down for sure. That also means he needs to get used to being targeted. Some people think now that Subban gets booed in arenas across the league bc of his attitude, forgetting it started happening on his first few games way b4 anybody really knew who the kid was. I won’t say being constantly aggravated is the reason his head is not on straight, but i think he’s not handling it well.
    I may be one of the few who notice these things, but opposing players bearing down on Price after a stop expect to be pulled away or shoved by any Hab defender, except Subban. They react very strongly to anything he does. Fans also react very strongly to anything he does. Instead of pulling back, he wants to show he relishes the whole thing, which makes him focus on the wrong stuff.
    Again, I don’t want to see Subban fight. He’s not good at it and I’d rather have him spend next summer improving his skills and conditioning, getting stronger with pucks, watching videos of Lidstrom in the offensive zone than taking fight class. I love watching the Sedins play, I couldn’t care less that they’re not interested in fighting…

6. novahab says:

Let face it the Bruins were lucky to win that game last night. Both goals were a fluck and the refs, the same old refs, crap. Unbeliveable late call and what happen to the third man in, guess like all the rules they don’t appy to Boston. I wouldn’t brag to much about your cup it was handed to you by the league.

7. Ferg says:

Two comments:
    Don’t understand all the anger over trading him mid-game. Once the deal was finalized, you have to pull him out for fear of injury. And if your argument is that you hold off until the game is over and then finalize the deal, well what happens if he gets hurt in the 3rd period? No, when the deal is done, the player is done too. Mid-game or not.

And no, PK does not have to fight. But if he’s not going to fight, it would be nice if he would be a little less of a punk out there.

• gumper says:

Also, and just speculating here, if the guy was not liked in the room, the walk of shame, while not being terribly honorable, might buoy the spirits of those who remain.

8. Adidess says:

I have played plenty of team sports and still do, though not hockey and not high level. Never bought into the nonsense that I needed to fight anyone who is mad at me so I can keep my head up high. No.
    If you’re good at other things, it gives you the confidence to know/feel you don’t need fisticuffs to prove yourself.
    Now I get hockey has a separate culture, but guess what, fighting is down in the NHL this year again. I bet money a few years from now, people will have to choose between MMA and hockey. I sure won’t be teaching my kids they have to fight mad people to keep their honor.

9. Adidess says:

Ok, now I get the concept. Run away from the Lucics of the world. Stand up to smaller guys. What kind of honor rule is this? I was taught i didn’t have to fight bullies looking for ego boost to keep my own dignity. This is old century stuff, sorry!

• Hobie Hansen says:

There is no debate…PK looked like an ass last night.

• Mad Habber says:

Actually he made the Bruins look that way, which by the way should be the teams trademark. The hit was clean; why in the heck did Ference charge him? Are they not supposed to be the big bad Bruins? Yet they can’t take a hit without making it into a circus act.

• javaman says:

Crawling around on the ice is ok then. Look, I said if it was Lucic, I can see him being careful, but if you think his teamates aren’t getting fed up with his antics, then you haven’t played very much team sports.

• foghorn11 says:

lucic is a coward he is yellow picks his spots he wouldnt fight larague but wanted koivu luci will not fight anybody his size or smaller

t lett

• Hobie Hansen says:

Lucic has found his craft and was still wet behind the ears when Laraque was trying to coax him into a fight.

Not saying he’d win but he’d drop them with Laraque today.

I can’t believe I’m sticking up for Lucic but he would fight pretty much anybody in the NHL today. He fought Carkner from Ottawa a week ago and won.

10. Adidess says:

The trading PK thing is a worse idea than ‘trade Price, keep Halak’. At least, one knew who Halak was. That poster wants to package PK with other players to get a C from somewhere.
    I am a huge hockey fan, but I grew up watching multiple sports. Find it weird that people won’t accept that certain skilled guys like the Sedins, PK and others don’t think they have to fight, playing hockey. Nfl players don’t fight, are they not tough?
    PK is a 22yr old, who’s already the most skilled defender on the team. Out of the whole group of ‘Campolis’ we have on the team, some want to trade him. To put whom in his place? Would definitely want to see him do less to get under the skin of opponents, but fighting is not technically part of what you need to do to win games. You need to play defense and score, you know.

• javaman says:

I’m not asking him to fight, I’m asking him to stand up and push back. He won’t even push back against Andrew Ference. I could understand if it was Milan Lucic, but Andrew Ference.

Did you see that non-fighter Lars Eller satnd up to Shawn Thornton? You don’t have to fight, just stand your ground instead of crawling around on the ice like a putz.

• SnowManHabs85 says:

Want him to just stand up while he was getting jabbed? Besides he drew a powerplay for the Habs, and if didn’t, Habs would’ve given Thomas another shutout.

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

• javaman says:

Live by the sword, die by the sword. If you are going to take a cheap shot elbowing penalty, then you better be able to back up your actions.

• SnowManHabs85 says:

By backing those actions, Habs wouldn’t even scored on Thomas, the Bruins goalie. Don’t ya know what you’re talking about? Cause you sound like you don’t.

• Habs_Norway says:

Fighting increases goals.

______________________________________
      Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

11. Stephen York says:

Excellent trade, for once. I know, Bourque is an enigma like Malakhov. So what? We got a high 2nd round pick, a decent prospect, and some size, grit and toughness in Bourque, while clearing some cap space by shedding Cammy’s bloated contract.

After perusing several message boards on the subject, I’m aghast at the number of morons who feel Cammy was wronged by being traded mid-game. “Cammy’s a leader and a stand up guy, and he’s being punished for saying what’s on his mind…” bla bla bla.

I have watched every Habs game this year, and have attended two at the Bell Centre. In each and every one of those games, Cammy did not forecheck, backcheck or hit, and spent a lot of time waiting at the opposing blue line for a breakaway pass. Furthermore, whenever he did have the puck, he was muscled off it nine times out of ten. Did he ever once go into the corners?

He then has the nerve to throw his coach and teammates under the bus by calling them losers? Really? This is a “leader”?

He’s a one-dimensional (“pure shooter”, lol), whining, self-centered smurf and I personally am glad that he was dumped so unceremoniously. I hope he fails miserably in Calgary.

____________________________________________
    Good riddance Cammy, you gutless prima donna smurf.

• Chester says:

I agree. Squid was a floater. No moxy. Look at DD, in the corners, and, actually knocked down The Shaved Gorilla. No fear. Guys like Squid are ok when they are scoring and not talking. Say what you want but when you badmouth The Habs you are gone. As much as I hate the Kaberla/Campolithing I agree with this one, and, who knows the details of the timing, paperwork and legal issues. However I don’t feel sorry for The Goat he is about as informative as a bag or rocks, so he can live with it. You know it’s weird but when our D went down last year he filled the gaps with quality. Funny how a year can change things.

12. gumper says:

CanadienBoy and ABhabs thanks for your reponse below. Isn’t Holland overage for playing junior?

• HabFab says:

No, last year Junior. Turned 20 last Sunday and was eligible to play for the World Juniors and he was at the WJ training camp but didn’t make the team.

13. habsfan_61 says:

we are the laughing stock of the league and its embarrasing. its not the trade im against per se but, how it was done. it started with the pearn firing hours if not minutes before a game. then , the martin firing on game day.finally , this trade in the middle of a game. the habs are supposed to be about class, but these moves are very classless. take the first 2 letters from class and you get what this organization has become.the upper management must be dealt with before we become the punch line for a series of jokes. molson doesnt get unpunished here either as he is the one who signed out for the above moves. please wake me up this is fast becoming a wicked nightmare that doesnt seem to have an end.as always go habs go.

14. likehoy says:

LMAO@conspiracy theorists who still believe Bob Gainey’s still pulling the strings.

the world is now dumber after reading that.

- Next week on Habs Shore: Cammi Sweetheart is jealous of the attention G-Love is getting for his FHO philosophy (Fishing, Hockey, Overpaid)

• 24moreCups says:

Well I’m sure he still has a big opinion on PG’s decisions, PG was still there when BG was in charge. They’re butt buddies we got to get rid of them both.

15. manu07 says:

I was commenting in StevR. D pairings

16. manu07 says:

I like the D pairings. I’m not a big fan of Weber however. But honestly, MTL has a tendency to not give young guys much of a chance in the NHL. I wish they would.

17. Dunboyne Mike says:

During the Tampa-Calgary Cup series I rooted for Tampa. Endured abuse for doing it.

Tried but couldn’t root for the Canadian team in the final because the words “Calgary Flames” still invariably evoke for me the gut-wrenching image of Lanny McDonald hoisting the Stanley Cup at the Forum.

Still can’t believe how a reasonably rational and well-balanced person like myself can’t bury that!

Sorry — just needed to get that out there.

It goes deep, don’ it? Next October I’ll be ready to forget this troubled season and get worked up about the next.

Meantime, bring on the Sens and Rangers.

18. mb says:

I don’t usually read sportsnet articles, but I did like this one:

Kinda long, but worth the read, I think.

All stuff we already know, but well written nonetheless.

19. manu07 says:

Just heard on tv Mr.Molson had a meeting with Serg Savard … Possibly PG will be gone sooner then we think

20. Storm Man says:

Sunday’s line-up card…. Write it down RC
    Bourque Gomez Cole
    MaxPac Plexs AK.6
    Moen Eller Blunden
    DD Nickle Darche

Now before the children on here have a little fit… I have Gomez on the number 1 line as he has to put up like a number 1 guy making 7 mil or move out that simple.

21. twocents says:

So what’s with Calgary trying to reclaim their past. Jokinen, Tanguay, Cammalleri.

Seems like a team that can’t make up it’s mind. Or one that doesn’t realize that forward is different from backward.

22. gK_HabsFan says:

With Cammy gone, are we still too small?

It’s going to be interesting to see the line configurations for sundays game. It’s possible to have each line loaded with at least two big bodies.

———————

On a side note, I see a lot of people projecting lines for next year and hoping that we can nab a Superstar center via FA. It’s not happening folks! The FA crop for centers is extremely thin. Check it out for yourself:

The only way we get that star center is if we dip soo low in the standings that we can draft Galchenyuk or Grigorenko.

-GK-

• Ozmodiar says:

Galchenyuk’s stock has dropped quite a bit because of his injury. We might not have to drop in the standings to get him.

• Stev.R says:

Actually this years draft is pretty decent for big centres

North America Rankings
      2. Grigorenko, 6’3” 200lb
      4. Faksa, 6’3” 202 lbs
      11. Gaunce, 6’2 215 lbs
      12. Girgensons, 6’1.5” 198 lbs
      13. Matteau, 6’1.5” 210 lbs
      14. Sissons, 6’1” 189 lbs
      NR Galyenchuk 6’0.5” 198 lbs

European
      Forsberg, 6’2” 181 lbs
      Hertl, 6’2” 198 lbs

There has also been a lot of injuries to highly touted prospects this year. Keep that in mind on draft day. Could be getting some diamonds in the later rounds. Not to mention its a deep draft this year.

23. javaman says:

Hopefully, this is just the beginning of the blowing up of the team. The next big trade should involve P.K. Why? He’s an embarassment to the team. The flops, the falls, the histrionics, the turtling etc.

I was really excited the first time I saw him play at the WJC and was looking forward to him playing for us. I enjoyed him at the beginning of last season, but as the season wore on, he started getting on my nerves. This year he’s a lost cause.

Everyone wants the Habs to get a big skilled center – put PK in a package to the Western Conference and get that guy.

• Exit716 says:

That would be an awesome idea. Trade PK and keep Weber and Kaberle and Campoli. They don`t flop, they just put on the jersey skate around and fish pucks out of the net when they screw up. Yeah, dump PK as fast as possible and keep Gauthier as GM. I`m sure Pierre can get a decent return for PK like he did for Ribs. Maybe John Madden from Florida, a gritty centre that would help the team surge through the rest of the season undefeated and go 16-0 in the playoffs.

• NCRhabsfan says:

Apparently anyone can post anything they like here no matter how dumb the idea. The same guys would be blasting Gainey when PK racked up 70+ points and won the Norris Trophy for Colorado or someone.

Thank God they don’t put just anyone in charge!

24. Does anyone else have the tiniest part of him/her thinking that Gomez might come back and play decent?

25. nellis13 says:

I think this was a great trade. RB is exactly the type of player we need, tough and skilled. It’ll give a better balance to the lines. I still think we need to get rid of one more small guy and I hate to say it but it’s probably going to be DD, unless PG can actually move Gomez.

26. gumper says:

Just wondering if anyone knows where Patrick Holland is playing right now. Would he be a possible fit in Hamilton right away?

27. Dunboyne Mike says:

Eh, Canadien Errant?
    Where are you? I replied to your post — about 2 trillion posts ago — on ALN (you’d have to scroll down and click on “Older Posts”).
    Courage, mon vieux!

28. manu07 says:

Has Bourque stated his opinion about the trade?

29. neumann103 says:

Saturday lets see

LW C RW
    Bourque Plekanec Cole
    Moen Eller AK46
    MaxPac Desharnais Darche
    Gomez Nokalainen Blunden

LD RD
    Gorges Subban
    Emelin Diaz
    Gill Weber
    Kaberle

“Et le but!”

30. SteverenO says:

“even a broken clock is right twice a day” .

PG is a terrible GM. Nothing can make up for acquiring Kaberle .
    leaving coach JM at the helm for so long was inexcusable.

In my opinion Trading Cammaleri is a step in the right direction.

Statistically, its a wash (this season at least) Bourque’s numbers and Cammy’s are remarkable similar:

TOI Even strength /Team GF: Cammy 519/22 – Bourque 481/20
    TOI PP / Team GF : Cammy 117/7 – Bourque 114/8
    TOI SH /Team GA : Cammy 40/ 2 – Bourque 56/5
    TOI Even Strength/ Team GA: Cammy 519/28- Bourque 481/20

Averages;
    PP Cammy One goal per 16.75 minutes Bourque one per 14.25
    SH Cammy one GA per 20 minutes Bourque one per 11
    ES TEAM GF Cammy one goal per 22.5 mins Bourque : one per 24
    ES Team GA Cammy one GA per 18.5 mins Bourque one per 20

Considering that both teams, Habs and Flames scored the exact number of goals this season (110) it would probably be difficult to find two more evenly matched players statistically.

That being said. We got bigger, tougher, shed salary, got a nice prospect in Holland, and traded up from a 5th round to 2nd round draft pick.

I’d say that all-in all, we got the better of this deal. We are, in my opinion a better team today than we were yesterday.

Does it mean that PG should keep his job? Hell No!
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

regards,

Steve O.

Qlik View – Data Discovery.
    Every team needs it- Every coach needs it.
    Every fan needs it!

• Ozmodiar says:

“Does it mean that PG should keep his job? Hell No!”

- yup, i think you’re right.

“Even a broken clock is right twice a day.”

- right again!!

31. Hobie Hansen says:

If we do manage to eliminate Gomez from the payroll, could be done a few different ways, and try to replace him with a real number one center, there are absolutely no centers and pretty much no forwards worth picking up from the UFA market this summer. None.

So our new GM will have to work some magic and pull off a trade or simply stand pat.

• Mike D says:

Isn’t Zach Parise a UFA this summer? He’s a pretty good winger I’d say.

- Honestly yours

• Bob_Sacamano says:

You´re right when it comes to the real number 1 center and we also won´t get one via trade because we would have to give away too much. If we can get rid of Gomez and trade away Kaberle for a low pick we would have 32m of cap space though.

Enough money to resign Price, Subban and Co. and go after a player like Parise or Ryan Suter if available then. We should at least get someone like Stoll or Ruutu. With Plekanec, Eller, Ruutu/Stoll and White/new fourth liner we wouldn´t be that bad at center. We could move Desharnais to the wing or trade him along with Weber for a big physical dman or a winger.

At the draft we should be in a position to get at least Zemgus Girgensons (of course Grigorenko would be better) who could become a real number one center in a couple of years.

32. Captain Koivu says:

BOURQUE should have chosen #77….no luck in 27!

33. manu07 says:

Athletes are streaky. I feel bad for Bourque. He is already getting hammered and hasn’t played a game yet with the Habs.

34. HabCez says:

interesting trade..
    if the rumors were true that this deal was done a while back..
    it does explain Cammy’s shortened ice time.. but it would also mean RC knew about it..

heard Bourque is an inconsistent power forward but perhaps watching and playing with Cole.. something would rub off..
    he does seen to have a nasty side and a pretty big guy..

could we have gotten more for Cammy.. probably but the deal is done..

actually cant wait to see Bourque in action..
    i like the trade..

Please dont put him in the line with Plecs.. RC.. since Plecs line has been stapled as the shutdown line..

“Emelin’s the real deal.”
    - HabCez

• GrimJim says:

Jay Feaster said on the radio here in Calgary back during the summer that most GMs ask the coach for his opinion about potential trade targets (as in “what do you think/what have you heard about X?”) prior to pulling the trigger. He said they usually ask the pro scouts, too, for opinions.

35. Stev.R says:

Paccioretty – (Star Centre) – Cole
    Gionta (scoring second liner) – Pleks – Kostitsyn
    Moen – Eller – Bourque
    (Enforcer) – (Shut down Centre) – White

In my eyes we’re not far from being a really good team. We need the big scoring centreman, a scoring second line guy (If Gio isn’t up to it), and a couple of fourth liners. Gomez’s salary should easily be enough a stud centre if one were out there

• Hobie Hansen says:

You are bang on Stev.R! That is the exact way I hope things turn out.
      A physical, stay-at-home, enforcer type defenseman to replace Gill would be the icing on the cake.

• Stev.R says:

It would also be nice to have guys who don’t get injured.

Isn’t it funny how any hope for the future at the moment rests on dumping Gomez’s contract.

I personally like Gomez (well I don’t mind HIM so much). I don’t give him as hard a time as everyone else. In fact if you went game by game, Gomez was actually a lot better this year than last year (although he hasn’t scored). There was also a couple games where he may have been our best forward. At least, There was never a game where he was our worst. But his contract is just killing our chances to make the significant move we need to make.

• GenerationYHabs says:

White’s natural position is at Center so he would fit the shutdown role on the 4th line and maybe keep Moen as a winger in his place.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Pacioretty – Star Centre – Cole
      Gionta – Eller – Kostitsyn
      Moen – Pleks – Bourque
      Shaun Thornton – Face Off Specialist – White.

I left “star centre” and “Face Off Specialist” blank becuase I think the best bet is to get them here via trade, don’t think there is much in the way of free agents to pick up this summer.

Either way, we’re looking at a lock out I’m afraid, so we won’t see anything new for next season.

____________________________________________________
      They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

• Hobie Hansen says:

Thornton is the type of guy we need on the 4th line for sure but not Thornton himself!!! ;-)

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

I dunno, take the “Bruins Hate” glasses off (I know, next to impossible) and he doesn’t seem so bad.

The few times I’ve seen him talk I’ve been surprised at how well spoken he is (in a relative sense), he seems like a good teammate, and he seems to enjoy being a s#!t disturber who can back it up. And he skates pretty well. And he’s UFA. And I’ve added too many And’s.

**Edit** And I can’t think of too many questionable hits/incidents he’s been in. Pretty good considering the role he plays on the team he plays for.

____________________________________________________
          They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

• Hobie Hansen says:

I have nothing against the guy except his jersey. I didn’t know he was a UFA either….

• aemarchand11 says:

Boston will re sign him at all costs, he seems to be the glue in that dressing room. The Sheriff!

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

@aemarchand11:

We’ve overpaid before to get what we think we want (we being Habs management). But I think he’s the kind of guy that takes the home town discount, another reason he’d be a good fit here.

____________________________________________________
            They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

• ABHabsfan says:

Insert Paul Gaustad as 4th line face-off guy. $2.3M is a little rich for a 4th line guy but can’t argue with his FO % and he is (kinda) tough.
        I have no idea where the star centre is coming from however; they are just not available unless you trade half your roster. Draft and develop a guy but that would be 4 yrs away.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Ha! How about Eric (I hate that guy) Staal for 2 1st rounders and Gionta or Gomez (to help keep them at the floor, which sounds like where they’re gonna be with the comments after the Kaberle trade).

Wild speculation, but as much as I hate Staal, he’d be the answer. Is there a legit stud center under 30 on a Western Conference team that is a perennial cap floor team we could steal that way?

____________________________________________________
          They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

• neumann103 says:

This is a bad year for “UFA Star Center”.

However for your 4th Line Shut Down Center…

Ladies and Gentlemen, Introducing 2012 UFA Shutdown Center:
      Frans Nielsen

“Et le but!”

• The Jackal says:

What about

Pac – Star Centre – Cole
      Gio – Pleks – Big scoring winger
      AK – Eller – Bourque –
      Moen – Shutdown centre – White

• Stev.R says:

I thought of that, but being able to afford a new big scoring winger, Gio and Pleks on the second line would be expensive.

Thats a pretty third line though isn’t it.

• zorro says:

Yes!, Habs are getting bigger.

• Mad Habber says:

While not a star centre, how about Tuomu Ruutu? He plays a gritty game and can be used anywhere in the line-up. Heck being how he is a UFA, he might be available right now, and Carolina owes the Habs a favor for Kaberle.

• Lou-dubz says:

Pleks-desharnais and 1st rounder for Getzlaf

36. habfanacrossthed says:

Calgary is a joke. LOL they could of signed Cammy 3 years ago. At the time, the price was too high for them. Now the GOAT which (cross my fingers) will be fired at seasons end trades Cammy. Calgary gets him, Rammo (never going to play in MTL) and a 5th rd pick (shaking my head at that, seems like Goat through it in to be nice) for RB, a prospect, and a 2nd RD in 2013 which most likely will be a good pick. All in all im not mad at that. Too bad Cammy couldn’t be dangled for Umberger but it is what it is. I just laugh how Cammy can get traded, yet $%^#ING Gomez can’t get waived, traded or atleast sent down to Hamilton and buyout the rest of the contract.
    If I could play armchair GM…gone would be Gill, Campoli, Diaz, Darche. Resign AK, Eller, Moen, Emelin, Subban, Price. Maybe resign Blunden and Nokalainen. Go after Tim Gleason, Ryan Suter, or Jason Garrison.

GHOD – Go Habs Or Die

• deuce6 says:

Umberger has a major concussion..Not the 1st time…He has scrambled eggs for brains..

When I hear his name, all I ever remember is Brian Campbell laying him out at the blue line..lol

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

37. aemarchand11 says:

Colton Gillies would be a good pickup, would also help out Hamilton if we dont need him right now. 6’4″ Power Forward in the making (potentially) likes to hit and plays with a mean streak..

2007 1st Round Pick – Bc Boy!

• Stev.R says:

Could we send him down? If we claimed him he would have to play in the NHL to start. If we put him on waivers to send him to the AHL Minn might just claim him from us. We lost Woywitka like this didn’t we.

• aemarchand11 says:

If we claim him off waivers from Minnesota than we can decide to keep on NHL team or send to hamilton. If we want to call him back up/send him down then he would go through waivers again.

It would be a real sink or swim decision/safe depending on what they could do with him.

Good thing about being in the basement is we get first kick at the can for a lot of waiver wire transactions!

38. chilli says:

We traded away arguably our worst player this season. Price-tag, defensive liability, no break-away speed (his skating sorta sucks), the locker room didn’t like him…

For a guy that is slightly lazy, but big and strong and can score 30 goals.

Nuff said.

Tre

• The Cat says:

Though I dont value tv hockey guys’ opinions, I find it a bit puzzling that the TSN pundits all think Calgary won the trade.

• GenerationYHabs says:

I think they’re viewing it in terms of Cammelleri’s potential upside vs Bourque’s, coupled with the fact that he’s known to disappear for stretches.

• The Cat says:

Well certainly Bourque has some potential upside too. Marc Crawford even said : size isnt any good if there isnt any skills to go with it…….Myself I think PG made a good trade.

• Jim Edson says:

Habs have vast experience with players who tend to disappear.

Kovalev, Kostitsyn, Plekanecs……………..

See how they manage Borque!

———————————————————————-
          What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

They tell him what they want done and he works to make it happen through his subordinates while making sure that individual franchises play by the rules.

******** Translated if you haven’t won the Stanley Cup in 40 years your NHL team is becoming irrelevant in a sports mad city long behind MLB, NFL and NBA teams, you just tell the commissioner(who you gave a new contract at 7 plus million per) to make it happen and the rules are bent sufficiently to action the command.

• Bripro says:

You have to remember that he scored 39 goals one season when playing with Iginla.
        The Habs don’t possess an Iginla.

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

I don’t think that they have watched the Habs play that often this year. For those of us who have sat and watched Cam. gag time after time, his playing was insufferable, and Bourque can only be better.

• Kooch7800 says:

the analysis written by Bob McKenzie was pretty fair but you are right when I watched their hockey panel I was laughing at how dumb their analysis was. Cammy was never going to work in Montreal and we need to rebuild a bit and getting rid of one of our small three was needed. I also think Montreal got fair value.

If Cammy goes and scores 30 from here to the end of the year good on him but he showed he wasn’t going to do that here. I used to really like him as a player but about half way through last year I started to realize how overrated he is and this season the spotlight was on. We had injuries and he couldn’t step up. 6 million dollar players should be able to step up and change a game. i haven’t seem cammy play since his first year in montreal.

39. CharlieHodgeFan says:

I’m an older fan with this, but there have been other middle of the game, pull the player trades. I recall quite liking them – mid-game trades are better than last night’s third period. They add an air of mystery to the proceedings. It’s all entertainment anyway.
    I’m sure they weren’t that rare in the sixties/seventies, although that’s the impression of someone who was a kid at the time.

A lot of people just like a good controversy, but when one’s lacking, they will settle for a bad controversy as well.

So now we have RB, a big Canadian AK. That’ll put a little BARK in the lineup, he said, clutching at straws.

• Psycho29 says:

Doug MacLean on Sportsnet said last night that when Scotty Bowman was coaching the Blues he became disenchanted with the play/attitude of Bob Plager.
      So during a game he told Plager to leave the bench, and go to the airport; they would let him know where he was being traded to.
      Two hours after the game they paged Plager at the airport and told him to come back, no other team wanted him….
      I guess the NHLPA would frown upon something like that today!!