Bourque to wear number 27

bourque

The knock on René Bourque, per Bob McKenzie and many others, is inconsistency.
The newest Canadien is said to be a talented and effective player … when he feels like playing.
Bourque will wear the number last worn by Alex Kovalev.
Hmmmm …

AUDIO: Randy Cunneyworth | Travis Moen | Mathieu Darche | Lars Eller | Max Pacioretty | Michael Blunden | Peter Budaj

• Bourque arrives in Montreal late this afternoon

• New line at practice: Tomas Plekanec between Michael Blunden and Scott Gomez

1. twilighthours says:

This one’s for Berkshire, if he’s still around. And my last comment, before I might actually have to do work:

I liked what PG brought to the presser last night. He said that shots from a distance don’t go in anymore. Teams need to score goals on 2nd, 3rd chances, scrums, tips, garbage goals. That the analysis of NHL goals indicates this (Berky, what?). Cammalleri doesn’t score these types (heck he could have had one last night had he gone to the net on Subban’s shot), but BOurque does. He sounded very confident, like he had done his homework.

Can’t ask for much more than that.

Well maybe to take back the Kaberle deal.

—————————————————————–

2. jules says:

Getting pissed about rumors of JVR going to the leafs. When last season I heard the Habs were all over giroux or JVR and PG would not flinch and flyers wouldnt wither. Wow … giroux or JVR would have defiantly been good squid ions for the Habs. How different would this team be with one or both of those guys this year…

3. twilighthours says:

LA Loyalist and others,

I think the story about this trade being in the works for a while is actually true. PG, in his interview, mentioned that things heated up around Dec 1st. So it seems to me he was going to deal Spacek and Cammi for Kaberle and Bourque around the same time. Something held up the Cammi deal, but – to me – these pieces fit. I’m inclined to take it at face value.

No doubt the Cammi rant sped things up, maybe skewed the deal for CGY in some way, but I’m still good with it. No one player can be bigger than the team, and I interpret Cammi’s rant, no matter how it was translated, is that he is self-important. Come on… “I know I’m a better player than I was 2 years ago.” Really? Then why don’t you score some time?

Wanna mouth off? Get out. I dig it.

—————————————————————–

• LA Loyalist says:

I am wondering if a really wise GM would have NOT pulled the trigger immediately so as NOT to look reactionary (if the deal were cooking).

How do you feel about PG not shopping Cammi?

And for some good news: I just watched a couple of Bourque fight videos, and while Chris Nilan he ain’t, the guy has stones and will definitely up the testosterone in our male hormone deprived dressing room.

this is a good thing.

• twilighthours says:

If the deal was basically done, then why wait? It probably worked better for the Habs’ room that he was gone immediately – a better message to the boys.

As for not being shopped, who knows? Firstly, I don’t want my GM trading within conference, so now we’re down to 15 teams. Cammi had a list of 7 teams he wouldn’t go to, so how many teams are left now? There may have been other options and we’ll never know, but I think it’s too easy for media-talking-heads to say “he wasn’t shopped.”

—————————————————————–

• 123456 says:

first clip i saw last ngiht when i got home (had my own game) was calgary GM stating the deal was in the works for a little over a month…. another GM would not make up crap just to appease habs fans.

• G-Man says:

Seems like ther’s too much estrogen in Montreal’s drinking water. ;)

_______________________________________________

Tanking- The Losers way of winning.

• mdp2011 says:

How do you know that he wasn’t shopped? From the comment of one anonymous GM? There were 7 teams he could not be traded too, plus you add in few eastern teams in there that PG would not have wanted to trade him to. Also, you have to look at PG’s needs and what he wanted in return, maybe the other teams he didn’t contact did not have what he wanted, like an available forward, with size, who can score, and with a manageable cap hit.

• CanadienBoy says:

Back 2 game ago pp for Habs ,Cammy circle fake a shoot and BLIND pass back to the d at center with both d standing again they board side ,i glad he ‘s gone AK can handle puck and passes 10 time better than Cammy and make half the money

4. PeterD says:

Love the trade and all the drama of how it happened…better than the actual game.
    “Went to a hockey game and a trade broke out”.

I think the key to this trade is Patrick Holland…6 ft+ and 9th in scoring in the WHL right now…and the 2nd round pick next year. Some pretty good talent comes out of the 2nd round usually.

As for Kari Ramo…I think he signed for a couple of years over in the KHL so he may never show up in the NHL.

The deal in my opinion falls apart if Calgary flips Cammi at the deadline this year for a 1st round pick and a prospect…in other words make a better deal than Gauthier got.

• LA Loyalist says:

they have cap issues and if their playoff run fizzles out that could very well happen… we may hit 2,000 posts that day :-) and Boone et cie will be thrilled.

5. Hobie Hansen says:

The one thing that bugged me about the game last night was the Subban hit. I loved the hit but what followed was a bit embarrassing.

Andrew Ference immediately went after Subban and he turtled on the ice and laughed about it in the penalty box. If Subban is that afraid of Ference he’s got issues. If it was Lucic or Chara I can see anyone running for cover but Ference, come on.

I realize we scored on the PP after but by suckering other teams into penalties by diving and turtling isn’t the way to win games.

That mentality has to change.

• The Cat says:

I see nothing wrong with that, in fact it lit a fire in the habs’ arses.

• Hobie Hansen says:

it lit a fire? Give me a break. I bet my hat that half the players on the bench and the coach thought Subban was a fool.

They may have been happy to go on the PP but not pleased with how it was awarded.

• The Cat says:

Claude Lemieux used to do it, a team needs a player like that, thats why I said to get Avery so that Subban isnt the one doing it. The habs are too gentlemanly.

• twilighthours says:

Watch some clips of Bourque. He’s got a mean streak. I like it.

—————————————————————–

• Hobie Hansen says:

@ The Cat,

If Subban turned into a pest like Lemieux that would actually be fine.

But if that’s the case, Lemieux always had some heavyweights backing up and played on pretty tough teams.

Its fine if Subban agitates but if the other team come right back and dominate you physically, it reallyhas no point.

• LA Loyalist says:

It’s not what a leader does, if PK fancies himself in a leadership role on the team now or down the road.

If my kid did that I would nail his ass to the bench for a month.

• The Cat says:

It depends against who, if its Tampa its another story, but this was Boston who should have a few cheapshots coming their way.

• ed lopaz says:

what is PK doing in that play that bothers you Loyalist?

was he wrong to go for the big hit?

obviously not.

was he wrong to throw a little 2 minute elbow?

Bruins do it all game, every game

was he wrong to fall when he was attacked by a third party instigator in Ferrence?

Ferrence was 3rd party instigating a fight – right?

So you and Hansen think PK should have fought Ferrence because Ferrence didn’t like PK’s hit?

That’s what’s bothering you, right?

Well, I disagree.

First, PK has every right to make a big hit and NOT FIGHT.

if this was Pronger or Chara laying someone out, do you think they would have to fight to back up the hit?

do you think that puke coward ference would have the balls to jump someone like Pronger or Chara in that situation?

no way.

so the puke Ferrence gets to “choose” to instigate a fight as a 3rd party against a guy like PK who is NOT A FIGHTER.

And, by your logic, PK is not a leader because he “chooses” NOT TO FIGHT.

Well I say Bullshit that the NHL has these “unwritten rules” about not being able to give a big hit without fighting a 3rd party instigator.

It wasn’t even the guy PK hit who wanted to fight.

And the laughing??

Is that “bad leadership”?

Because that’s simply PK being PK.

He smiles.

He laughs.

He shit talks all over the ice.

No different than any NFL, any NBA, or any other major league athlete

Only in hockey do you have to fight to back up the trash talk.

Only in hockey is fighting even tolerated.

I say Bullshit to the fighting.

I say we take fighting right out of the freaking game and lets see how brave Ferrence is.

I say we don’t challenge Pk’s “leadership” just because he trash talks and refuses to fight.

Bruins and their fans want to take the mojo out of PK.

Let’s not help them by supporting their cause on this site.

PK and Max and Eller are not going to fight – and they might trash talk till they’re blue in the face- so what??

They are going to be great leaders, however.,

• CanadienBoy says:

Agree but at the same time PK had is back turn and did not want to be taking out for fighting

• savethepuck says:

Why is everyone saying he turtled? He got suckered, fell to the ice because of the hit, and then covered up to protect himself. That’s not my definition of turtling.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Hobie Hansen says:

@ savethepuck, That is true to a certain extent.

But with so many repeat offenses, not only by PK, anytime something like that happens it pisses me off.

I’d like Subban to be able to throw a hit like that and not have Boston come in and take the advantage right back by beating on our players or chasing off the ice.

• savethepuck says:

I think the league has to do something stricter regarding the retaliation crap after a clean hit. You hit a guy too hard and then you have to fight. That’s BS and needs to be addressed by the league. Yes the players can police it themselves, but it shouldn’t be necessary. The NHL never used to be like that. A clean hit was a good clean hit.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• G-Man says:

Had visions of Lapierre and Ribiero in my head seeing that crap. If you’re going to lay on the hits, be ready.

_______________________________________________

Tanking- The Losers way of winning.

• Mad Habber says:

Why should PK even need to defend himself? From what I seen it was a clean hit. For all the talk of the big bad Bruins they one of the worst cry baby teams in the NHL. The play dirty but if someone tries that with them it’s a bench brawl, to me toughness isn’t about fighting, but rather playing in a chippy game without making a circus out of it. The Bruins love the circus games.

6. HNS says:

A few other “passengers” and smurfs need to go. As far as Cammy goes, when you say your team practices are for losers, you are knocking the coach directly. His comments should have been said in private to his team mates and not the media. That being said, PG needs to go next. You don’t cut a player during a game! The Habs played a very competitive game last nite and Mike could of been given a complete game to put up or shut up. He might of scored the tieing goal or winning goal. Who knows and we’ll never find out.
    And PK, go take some boxing lessons for Christ sakes! You should be better than that.

• Kooch7800 says:

It was a shot at Cammy by taking him out of the game. He is an employee and I really could care less. I would get fired if i ripped my company to the media. You have to be a team player and obviously Cammy isn’t that guy. not the first time it has been said and it won’ t be the last either I am sure

7. twilighthours says:

Checking out some clips of Bourque fighting. I’m liking it. There’s one of him and Nick Shultz where he throws a pretty cheap shot at Schultz and then they tangle.

I don’t want my team to be dirty like the Bruins, but it’d be nice to have a player who might cross the line every now and then to keep the other team guessing. We haven’t had that since Begin. Yemelin may be a guy like that. Bourque might be too.

—————————————————————–

• G-Man says:

Habs new resident psycho. Kind of like that 100mph fastball pitcher that doesn’t have perfect control so he doesn’t know where the ball is going.

_______________________________________________

Tanking- The Losers way of winning.

8. jules says:

When montreals pp was one of the best. Cammi was consistent. Because he stood next to the hash mark and would fire slap shots in consistently. When Montreal has had a terrible pp( ie: this season) cammi played inconsistent. When skilled players have no space they are useless. Starting to see the same with plecky. We need big bodies to open up space for little snipers. Hopefully there are a few more big bodies to come.

9. Cardiac says:

So I’m gonna throw my two cents in on the trade.

Look at it like this… Cammalleri put up career numbers in 2008-09, a year where was knew he was playing for a new contract. Coincidence? You be the judge.

Rather than opting to re-sign him, the Flames were in the middle of a fire sale and let their top goal scorer walk. Why? Did they feel he wouldn’t be able to replicate those numbers again? Again, you be the judge.

The Habs sign him to a very lucrative contract, paying him top team dollars (next to Gomez of course.) Since then, it’s no secret that he was a disappointment, a slow and steady decline of a supposed natural goal scorer. Meanwhile, every other player who finished on top of the scoring chart in 2008-09 has maintained their level of excellence (i.e. Vanek, Nash, Staal). Heck, even Parise has score more goals in the past 3+ seasons and he missed almost all of last year. Btw, Bourque has scored only 5 less goals in two less games.

I guess my point is perhaps we made Cammalleri out to be better than he was. Sure he had his moments of brillance, but it’s clear to me he fed off a great player like Iginla. Look at what happened to Cheechoo after he stopped playing with Thorton. Maybe he will bring his numbers up now that he’s playing with Iginla again, but I doubt he will ever come close to scoring 39 again.

In the grand scheme of things, Calgary have now put themselves in a very sticky situation. They have now committed to $3 million dollars more on their salary cap, money they potentially don’t have. Occording to Capgeek, once their team gets fully healthy, they will now have to shed $2.5 million.

- Jerry Maguire

10. jules says:

I think if we can get a player like Kopitar at the deadline and unload some of this useless baggage of underachieving players we will have an ok group next season. However. I think price and pk need to stay in Montreal. I would hate to see a player like pk become a stud somewhere else and we unload him for nothing.

• LA Loyalist says:

We are not getting Kopitar. Period. They have Quick, whom they love, who actually has better numbers than Price I think, and Jack Johnson, Doughty, etc. What LA need is scoring – and they would have made on offer on Cammi if they had been asked, but they weren’t.

(for the record, I would LOVE Kopitar for us)

• TomNickle says:

Tell me Kreskin, what would they have offered? Their current coach is a guy who didn’t even negotiate with Cammalleri when he had exclusive rights to him and their general manager traded him.

• CanadienBoy says:

Doan will be available this summer

• Kooch7800 says:

doan is a punk. He was one of the players crying to keep the team in Phoenix and wasn’t going with them if they went to Winnipeg…..as far as I am concerned he can stay in a non existent hockey market

11. sims says:

on another unrelated note….

anyone see gionta throw his stick while leaving the ice after his injury?? tossed it like a javelin using the injured arm. wonder if this made it worse??

• 123456 says:

i saw the clip as i missed the game – but i assume dit was the other arm. anyway you could tell he knew it was a serioous injury. sucks because gionta is all heart

12. krob1000 says:

Yesterday I saw a clip of Ron Wilson defending Dion Phaneuf in the players poll about the most overrated players in the league. Dion was the clear winner but Wilson is on video saying that he would like to have any of the top 15 on his team anyday…..ummm PG (no 3 was Gomez)….so give ol Burkie a ring would you.

13. habs001 says:

Right now we have very limited scoring from the d…we are loaded just like the last 2 years with forwards who have minimal scoring abilities…nokia,darche and blunden are basically 3-4 goals a season scorers…moen is scoring this year but he really is a 8 goal season type…white is probably the same…dd looks like 12 goals ..gomez?….many teams ahead of us are loaded with prospects also…major infusion of talent needed on this team…

• twilighthours says:

Lots of great D prospects but little in the cupboard for top-flight offensive players. It’s going to take some awesome drafting or an eventual dealing of some D-men for a shot at some true offensive power.

I think, eventually, our D and D prospects will be good enough to land something like this and still keep good depth on the back end.

—————————————————————–

14. Clay says:

After reflection – and a little research – I think this was a good move for the Habs. We shed salary in a season that’s going nowhere without giving up any goal production, and get bigger to boot. And even get a second round pick and prospect. This is a step in the tight direction. The Habs still need to trade more dead weight, and play the youngsters en route to getting a lottery pick.

Even if Cammy turns into a 40 goal man, the Habs were going nowhere with him. Cammy was right about the culture of losing though, and this is something that needs to change.

__________________________
    ☞ “Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.” – Jean Beliveau. ☜

• twilighthours says:

Cammalleri was never going to be a 40 goal man with the Habs. He’d score 50 next to Crosby. We never had the player to play with him, and frankly I don’t want a guy like Cammi who needs a specific type of player to make him better. He doesn’t make anyone better. If he’s not scoring, he’s worthless.

This is a very good trade for MTL, in my view.

—————————————————————–

15. Rob says:

Living in Calgary, I can tell you that people here are VERY happy about this trade…and i don’t blame them. They still remember Cammy as the 39 goal scorer who Darryl Sutter let get away. But it’ll be interesting to see how this plays out. For me, the real judgement for this deal will be next season. Calgary has again mortgaged some of their future (draft pick, prospect) for the present. It’s very possible, however, that Cammy is not going to be what he was, even being back in Calgary and playing with Iginla. And if Calgary and Cammy continue their downward trends, Montreal will have made out like bandits. And i think the fans here may not be as happy as they are this morning. Either way, when i look at this trade and remove my heart from the equation, I think it’s a good deal for the Habs, and possibly good for both teams. At the same time, I wish Cammy the best, and thank him for that magical month in 2010 where we was EVERY BIT as responsible as Halak for the best moments this franchise has produced in almost two decades. (so sad)

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

16. HABZ24 says:

rene bourques inconsistant ? perfect !! he;ll blend it nicely with the rest of the habs!! oh wait most are no shows, inconsistants an upgrade !! bourque speaks no french while holland does,ok.its a PURE SALARY DUMP to get money to sign price and subban, smart.now its become entertaiment to watch the implosion.

GO HABS GO

17. twilighthours says:

All I’ve heard and read from these professional talking heads is how Bourque is inconsistent and may lack drive.

What?

Has any of these idiots watched Cammalleri for the past 1.5 years?

—————————————————————–

Do we know forsure Gionta hurt his bicep in game, or was he actually strangling Cammallerri after his media circus firestorm!

19. jules says:

PG seems to make these quick decisions and jump the gun. The biggest problems with the Habs are size. (which he is trying to address…I guess) and HIM. If I were Mr.Molson My first off season move would be to hire a GM with some class.

• harpman says:

Why wait unti the off season to fire PG…..do it NOW!!

• deuce6 says:

I like having a proactive GM..We have an issue, he deals with it..Having Gainey there sitting on his hands analyzing every deal and waiting for it to deteriorate was agonizing..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• English is not a Crime says:

Not anymore…. their forwards are pretty much all 6′ or bigger now, with the exception of Desharnais. (Gionta’s likely out for the year, so I didn’t factor him in).

Blunden is 6’4
      Cole, Pacioretty, Eller, Moen, Bourque are all 6’2
      Nok and Darche are 6’1
      AK, Pleks, White are 6′
      Gomez is 5’11/200 (close enough)

Dessy’s the only real tiny forward left now with Gionta being out.

20. EveningCommute says:

The problem with this guy is that he is currently serving a 5 game suspension (after serving a 2 game earlier this year), so if he so much as passes gas in the wrong direction then he’s going buh-bye for a while. That and the fact that players and refs will be watching him can limit his effectiveness.

Good to get bigger though. Can he fight at all or is just just a cheap shot artist?

21. axxerd says:

I have read a lot of people talk about how bad Gauthier is, and how he needs to be fired ASAP etc…

That got me thinking…is Gauthier really THAT bad? I actually think Gainey made the biggest probs with this team.

Gauthier added Cole, traded Halak and opted to take Eller, keep Price, he broke the routine of never signing guys mid season by signing Gorges to what I think is a good deal, fired Martin and didn’t give a damn about replacing him with an Anglophone, and this latest trade saw him shed lots of salary, add someone bigger & tougher who can still produce, along with a 2nd round pick, and the 9th leading scorer in the WHL… Other than the Kaberle trade…and the Markov signing that may turn out bad…I think he has been pretty good to be honest. Remember that Gainey was the man that got rid of McDonagh for Gomez etc…
    —-
    Newfoundland’s biggest Habs fan. Hands down.

• Malreg says:

I think the hate for PG comes more from HOW he does business, and not the actual hockey decisions…

• thorandresson says:

How does he do business exactly? Have you had the pleasure of doing direct business with him?

All we hear is what the media tells us, we’re on the outside looking in.

Besides, I personally think it’s good business to buy low and sell high, the perfect example was Halak, and that whole move was brilliant business wise…

• Malreg says:

Things like firing an assistant coach 2 hours before a game, firing the head coach the day of a game and then throwing Cunneyworth to the wolves, trading a player in the middle of a game, apologizing for appointing Cunneyworth head coach and further throwing him uner the bus, you know, things like that…

None of those things are media speculation, they are facts…

• Sharks9 says:

Yea I think he has done a pretty good job with what he’s had. Kaberle has 9 points in 14 games so I don’t think we can say that’s a bad deal yet and when he made the Markov signing it was expected he would start season so it didn’t look as bad at the time it happened.

I think the biggest criticism is not WHAT he’s done but HOW he’s done. The game day firings and trades are pretty bad form.

25 before 14

• axxerd says:

Yeah I can see how it doesn’t look good on him. Add the fact that all the sports networks turn every Montreal story into a negative. With that said though, it is hard during the season to fire a coach when it isn’t a game day or practice day. As for the trade, I hear something interesting on TSN990 this morning. One of the guys said it looked like by waiting until the 2nd intermission, they killed enough time so that Bourque could be added to the lineup when their game started. This meant he would have served one of his remaining 2 games of his suspension. Once that was done and taken care of, Cammy was hauled out of the dressing room.

—-
        Newfoundland’s biggest Habs fan. Hands down.

• G-Man says:

The conference call to the league to confirm the trade was made last night during the game.
          _______________________________________________

Tanking- The Losers way of winning.

22. krob1000 says:

poor Pleks…the least they could do is call up Palushaj or Leblanc to play with him and Gomez. I can see it now …Gomez doing slalom laps around the rink, Blunden doing full ice sprints and crashing into the boards to stop at each end and Pleks somewhere in the middle of the rink clicking his heels together saying “there’s no place like home, there’s no pace like home”

i wonder if this means it will be Pleks,Gomez and Bourque…or does uit mean Pleks -Bourque and Blunden when REne arrives

23. Danno says:

Randy Cunneyworth’s final conversation with #13, Mike Cammalleri?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

24. Laramy87 says:

I’m sitting here on my lunch listening to hockey central at noon. I have to say Nick Kyrios (or however u spell it) is the WORST hockey analyst. He is up there with stock and milbury. He was saying bourque doesn’t speak french so fans won’t be happy. He is not coming in to coach the team. He is just the biggest idiot. He was basically telling us exactly what cammy was saying and what he meant. How does he have ANY clue what cammy was thinking, god can’t stand him. And of course like every other toronto media who hates habs (TSN) say flames won the trade, I dunno about that. Cammy won’t find his ganme in calgary, cause he was dismal in mtl.

• TomNickle says:

Kypreos. And yeah, he’s dumber than a bag of hammers. He went on record saying that Plekanec was getting $7.5 million annually.

He’s also reported numerous bogus trades and free agent signings that never came to fruition. And he reported them as done!

• harpman says:

Nick K is a bit of a drama queen……ignore him like I do.

25. axxerd says:

Patrick Holland (The WHL player (9th in league scoring) we picked up in the trade last night) does an “Ask me about…” on Reddit.

—-
    Newfoundland’s biggest Habs fan. Hands down.

26. Boomer says:

i don’t have an issue with the details of the trade or shipping cammy out, what has me a bit concerned is hearing a gm yesterday say “if i had known cammy was on the trading block i would of made an offer”… basically we might of gotten a better deal… but we’ll never know i guess.

Boom baby!

• TomNickle says:

And that GM could have easily been Burke, Murray, Regier or Chiarelli. Four guys who Gauthier wouldn’t even want to speak with.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Don’t believe everything you hear. Pierre LeBrun could be trying to be smug and pile onto Canadiens who’s reputation is suffering at the moment.

And maybe the GM who said that is just bitter at the Habs and wants to rub salt in their wounds as well.

Maybe it’s true or maybe it isn’t but who gives a….

• PureGuava says:

With all due respect Hobie, I believe that LeBrun is a ‘Habs-friendly’ commentator. With exception to Bob Mackenzie, there’s not too many people more respected in the profession.

• Sharks9 says:

We have no idea it would’ve been a good offer though, if it was Burke like most people think then it definitely wouldn’t have been a better offer.

25 before 14

27. Hobie Hansen says:

I try not to view things in rose colored glasses and I don’t think everything Montreal does is great, like a lot of people on this site.

Gauthier has sucked huge, by failing to make the right moves in the summer, acquiring Campoli, his handling of Pearn and Martin and then the idiotic move to get Kaberle.

But I see no issues with the Bourque trade at all. Cammalleri does absolutely nothing for Montreal five on five. Nothing!

We’ve seen spurts of good five on five play this year when Cole, Pacioretty or Kostitsyn go in or the forecheck and retrieve the puck, but not nearly enough.

Now we have four big wingers who can score 20-30 goals each. Enough to put two offensive lines out there with size and grit.

If the Canadiens somehow managed to rid themselves of Gomez over the summer and acquire a legit number one center, they’d have a heck of a club!

Now that will be a very tall task. I’d be shocked if Gomez wasn’t gone by next September. But number one centers don’t grow on trees, that will be the hard part…..

Next year if Montreal adds that centerman I’m talking about and a menacing defenseman to replace Gill, we could really be right back into the thick of things.

But I don’t want knee jerk reactions and we don’t have to spend up to the cap next year just for the sake of spending up to the cap. I’d be cool with sitting $10 to $15 under the cap all year next year if there was nothing good available.

28. kirbhabs says:

Cammy’s Heart Stop being a Canadian when he did not get the Captaincy… this is the end result.

29. RiverviewCanadien says:

After reading • Gomez is leading stretches at centre ice. At morning skate in Boston, it was Cammalleri

I immediately thought of Mousercise!.

Come on, I am not the only one…

30. deuce6 says:

Its much easier to find a top 6 big winger than it is finding top 6 center with size…Plex and Cammy weren’t working out…Will Plex and a bigger scoring winger work out better? I think so…

If anything, this elevates Plex’ game..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

31. habfan53 says:

OK it has been about 14 hours since THE TRADE.
    Boy last night was really something !!
    The first reactions were incredable almost everybody calling Gauthier a liar because he said that this had been in the works since last month. Funny how nobody called Jay Fiester a liar for saying the same thing and I’m not just talking about the fans I mean Kyprios, McLean and MacKenzie (last night) too.
    Most were saying panic move, Gauthier got fleeced, fire sale is on.

Now my perspective. Because we Canadiens fans tend to make gods of our heroes Cammi was put on a pedestal but REALLY lets look at a comparison.
    Age between Cammelari and Bourque is the same
    GOAL production over the last 4 years basically the same
    Assists slight edge to Cammelari
    Cap hit BIG advantage with Bourque (2.7 mil ) we can use that for Carey.
    Size and grit no comparison edge to Bourque.
    Playoff production Big edge to Mike however Bourque has not been in the post season since 08-09.

I see this trade as beneficial to both teams Mike will be reunited with Iggy and will prosper like Leclair did with Lindros, and Rene will come here and score 25-30 goal a year and be put on a pedestal also.

to paraphrase Nixon: If the Bruins do it, it is not illegal

Click to Edit

to paraphrase Nixon: If the Bruins do it, it is not illegal

32. habs001 says:

On sportnet i heard that the cap may be around 67-68 million next year…

• TomNickle says:

Sportsnet is the least reliable place for any information related to anything Sports.

The truth is that with a new collective bargaining agreement. NOBODY KNOWS.

It’s much more likely the the Cap ceiling stays the same and the floor drops.

33. Gerry H says:

You know, the longer you look at this, the more you have to give Gauthier props. I think Feaster got thoroughly shagged. The topline details all favour the Habs: same goal output over 2-3 years, more size and grit, upgraded draft pick (in 2013, so don’t count yer chickens on how high it will be) and almost $3 million in cap savings. Flames probably got the better prospect, but our goalie situation makes that a moot point.

But look closer and it gets better. At least half of Cammalleri’s goals came on the one-timer off a pass through the slot. When was the last time you saw one of those? The guy was a one-trick pony. Beautiful trick, that it was. But the problem is that teams figure one-trick ponies out and, in this case, can fairly easily neutralize them. Every time Pleks tried to go to Commalleri, he was covered. Think about it. Block that lane and Cammalleri becomes a very expensive, dimunitive.. meh.

It’s a lot harder to neutralize a player like Bourque. No, he doesn’t bring the flair or on-ice charisma that Cammalleri has, but what he has is a) something the Habs sorely need, and, b) far more difficult to counteract.

Tentatively, I put this move in the same league as the Cole pick-up. And given the circus environment in which it was made, I think it calls for major kudos.

34. krob1000 says:

Calgary now has tanguay, Jokinen and Cammi who they let go and then reacquired within a couple of years.

35. Eric37 says:

Riddle me this: After all the poor trades and odd firings this year, why is Molson ownership still giving the green light to Gauthier to make trades?
    —————————————————-

To quote the great Carey Price: “Chill out.”

E.

• 54 goals over his last two full seasons, big bodied banger, likes to mix it up … 3 million dollars cheaper… So RIDDLE ME THIS – what’s not to like about this trade?

And for all the people lamenting the loss of Cammy’s play-off presence…you have to get into the play-offs first!

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /wp-content/cache/supercache/www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/a-win-that-slipped-away/index.html on this server.

• dallyd31 says:

The Cammy trade was a very good trade…

We got bigger, nastier, more goals, less headaches/ego and all at half the salary cap.

Not to mention picking up a second rounder and a prospect.

Cammy was the worst player on the ice most nights.

Bobcat
      Eric — do you consider Eller, Emelin,Cole,Borque bad trades???? Ever play the game??? LOL

36. Phil C says:

I like this trade because Bourque compliments our current line-up better than Cammalleri did. Cammy needs play-makers to give him that great one-timer pass, or to be creative in the offensive zone, players who think the game like he does. Cammy playing dump and chase was like watching a Ferrari trying to plow a field; watching him with Blunden last night was just sad and a huge waste of both players’ skill-set. He never found the right chemistry in Montreal, or when he did, JM would break up the line in an attempt to create secondary scoring, or because it was too weak defensively.

If they play him with Iginla, he should have more success in Calgary. But if they make the same mistake and put him in on the second line, we will see more of the same from him.

Can’t wait to see how Bourque looks in the Habs’ lineup. The one game suspension might actually be a blessing because he can spend one game in the press box learning about his new line-mates and RC’s system.

• J_P says:

Nice post. If Cammy is a ferrari, hed be a california. Lots of performance potential, but often enough the owner just likes to put the top down and go for a nice cruise.

37. jules says:

I hope Gomez is next on the chopping block. I think we should move DD weber and Gomez next. DD is playing “ok”. Not a bad time to move him. And weber is a bum an so is Gomez. Pull the trigger PG. maybe during a shift this time. Rather then in between periods.

• Willy says:

Why do people want DD gone so badly??? He’s cheap and playing very well. Jeez.

• Phil C says:

DD is also signed for next year at only $850K. He is definitely a keeper at that price for what he produces, leaving cap space to address other deficiencies, like on defense.

• J_P says:

I agree. Unless hes part of a blockbuster that brings us a serious player (not that I think Gauthier is any way, shape, or form capable of making that type of deal), I dont see any reason to trade him. Seeing as our wingers just got bigger, that works to DD’s favor.

38. dre1744 says:

And if you look at Cammy’s Playoff performances he only had the one good year. The year he scored 39 goals in Calgary he only managed 1 goal in 6 games… Thats not a clutch performance in my books!!!!!

• dre1744 says:

So you take the one good playoff run away from Cammy. And he has scored 4 goals in 13 games. there are many 2 million dollar players that have accomplished that.

39. deuce6 says:

“• Gomez is leading stretches at centre ice. At morning skate in Boston, it was Cammalleri”

Does this mean Gomer is gone, too? One can only hope..lol

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

40. slamtherimtim says:

i thought i seen Cole and plecky kind of ignoring cammy just before one of the faceoffs , cammy was saying something and cole looked at plecky and skated away ,

41. Captain aHab says:

Marinaro is humiliating himself this morning….he sounds like a moron.

42. pierre lapuck says:

As a life-long Hab fan I didn’t need to watch tv or read the blogs to know what people/experts were saying about the trade, “Montreal knee-jerk, lost the trade, etc” IMHO Cammy is the better player and on that alone Calgary wins. BUT the $3 mill savings lets them sign Price who is way more valuable than Cammy, so I look at it this way. Cammy and whoever to Calgary for Price, Bourque, and 2 whoevers. Now we win the trade. Easy-Peasy.

• J_P says:

Good point. That old logic of the team who gets the best player wins the deal isnt pertinent to todays NHL. Look at boston. They traded joe Thornton, but by trading him, and not investing $7M in a perennial playoff choke artist, they were able to sign Chara down the road. Seeing as boston won a cup with chara wearing the C and jumbo joe hasnt won squat, chalk up a win for the bruins on that one!

43. The_Franchise31 says:

So cammy scores 39 goals in Calgary and they don’t re-sign him. Montreal gives him and huge contract expecting 39 from him. He doesn’t live up too expectations and now Calgary trades for him back… On the contract they didn’t want to give him… When he is not producing like he was… We win

44. Leafy says:

Nice Video. I used to live in that condo in Old Montreal:
    Nos Canadiens: No. 13 Michael Cammalleri http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=LKKR88qAXGU

45. 54 goals over his last two full seasons, big bodied banger, likes to mix it up … 3 million dollars cheaper…what’s not to like about this trade?

Forbidden

46. JUST ME says:

If inconsistency is the key word to describe Bourque then what`s the one describing Cammi ?
    I think that we were attracted to his potential but it never really materialize except 2 years ago in the playoffs. As much as we say that the playoff is the only season we did go and get Cammi for his 30 to 40 goals a year wich we never got.
    We all know that the NHL is all about $$$ and on that aspect the trade makes sense for the Habs .Like it or not Bourque has comparable stats for half the money.

• dre1744 says:

Well you need to make the playoffs first… And this year Cammies 9 goals wouldn’t take the habs to the playoffs. I don’t care if Cammy scores 50 goals in the playoffs. If he can’t score and get us into the playoffs in the regular season what good is he.

47. Duke_Rauol says:

No call ups yet? Maybe try Louis with Plecks and Bourque?

——————————————————————-
    We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold……

One way to look at the trade is this – Bourque CAN’T be more worthless (and I am not even talking per dollar amount) than Cammalleri. He just can’t. The only person who can and is, is currently injured.

49. habsnyc says:

Do the majority of Montreal fans like this trade? Calgary got the better player. Montreal got a little cap space and got rid of someone who called out their teammates. It just goes to there being no leadership in the dressing room, insufficient talent on the ice and little foresight in the boardroom.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• TomNickle says:

Habs got the better overall player in my opinion. We don’t sacrifice anything close to significant in scoring. We add a player who knows what forechecking and bodychecks are and also got a 2nd round pick and prospect.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Flames got the player with a higher ceiling…there’s a difference there.

• dallyd31 says:

Cammy *COULD* be the better player. he hasn’t been. This year he has probably been the worst player on the ice most nights

• joeybarrie says:

up side. We got a guy who scored as many goals as cammi for half price with size to boot.
      down side we lost a potential 40 goal scorer who never reached that potential here except for the playoffs.
      yeah we lost a playoff performer, but it doesn’t matter if we don’t one the playoffs.
      win win. Calgary is in the west. So don’t worry about how well he does there, cause he didn’t do it in the reg season here.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• G-Man says:

Can’t teach size. Bourque hits and plays with aggression. Need this on this too-timid team.

Cole plays hard, but doesn’t hit an awful lot; he picks and chooses his spots. AK is streaky with the hitting game, too. Moen is consistent about it. We need 1 or 2 more with Bourque’s nastiness.

_______________________________________________

Tanking- The Losers way of winning.

• J_P says:

We got a big bodied winger with a mean streak, whos good for 25-30 goals a year. His only problem is inconsistency.

Now, we have another winger who is good for 25-30 but struggles with consistency: AK46. If cunneyworth can manage to get Bourque hot when AK is cold, and AK hot when bourque is cold, it could work out quite well :D

Bobcat Bob
      That’s total bullcrap.

50. Ghosts of the Forum says:

A little late to the party, so sorry if I’m repeating a lot of what is said.

I live in Calgary and people are very happy to have him back here. Not sure where this “bad attitude” rap came from or if it’s true, but certainly here he was/is a fan favourite. My guess is he’ll do better in Calgary.

That said, it’s clear that he wasn’t going to do it in Montreal. Forget this year, just look at his numbers in total. Decidedly average. Bourque is a streaky player as well, but he does have size. I’ve watched him a lot and always liked him and the way he plays. And my guess is that he’ll have one of his hot streaks right off the bat. He’ll look mighty fine on a wing with Plekanec.

So in my mind, this is a win-win trade, but we got the better draft pick. The prospects are a wash — even if Rammo makes it on the Flames, he wasn’t going to do anything but maybe be Price’s backup here. Holland probably won’t play in the NHL, but then again, maybe he’ll be a good depth guy down the road. Better odds of that, then Rammo doing anything significant for Montreal with Carey around.

Calgary needed a sniper, the got one. We needed a crashing winger we got one. Both players are streaky, one has a higher ceiling, the other can crash and bang. We saved 3 million and got a second rounder. All in all, not a bad deal by PG, whom I’m not a fan of, but have to call ‘em as I see ‘em.

• joeybarrie says:

I don’t think there is a bad attitude. But a guy making 6 mil a year, who can score 40 goals (if only in his mind) and became a hero in the playoffs. He is competitive and egotistical. No problems from what I see. 90 percent of athletes out there.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Yep, I agree, always liked Cammy. There just seems to be a lot of talk around it. Perhaps that’s just stuff being stirred up because of the media storm.

51. deuce6 says:

I see a lot of hate directed towards this trade from, who else?, the TOR media..TSN, SN,etc…

I just wanna know when is the last time that the Habs actually made a deal they liked? lol

Typical Hab hate..All it is..

I also was watching TV this morning and seeing the reviews of this trade by the panels on each network and all they showed was what CGY is getting..CGY is getting a proven scorer, CGY is getting a clutch sniper, blah blah blah..

What about what the other team is getting? All they said about Bourque is that he is inconsistent and likes to take games off..WTF? He has more goals than Cammy..lol

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• habsnyc says:

I don’t thikn it is Hab hate. I think it is sadness that the team is disfunctional on and off the ice. The only time they make the national press is when they do something stupid.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

52. jon514 says:

It’s funny. Last week I read about a dozen posts where people complained that Cammy looks disinterested out there. Cheering for Kovy was how we got him interested to play here. C’mon guys, let’s cheer for Bourque too!

“Let’s be clear on the facts…”

53. dre1744 says:

i don’t mind the trade at all….. Its not like Cammy would of got us a Kopitar, Getzlaf or any other big useful center anyways.

54. INowDrinkLabatt says:

Cammalleri owns a white Bentley and a red Ferrari. Any hockey player that can drive those type of cars cannot be really good in the dressing room.

Good trade, Pierre, although you are an amateur and making this organization look really stupid.

55. HABSIN09 says:

I seem to be in the minority, but I love this trade. No matter what Cammy’s production is going to be, it wasn’t going to be anything in Montreal. I also was more frustrated watching him forecheck and almost touch the other team’s player, before swinging around and leaving the zone. I like that Borque is bigger, and cheaper, and has similar numbers over the last several years as Cammy. I think it also frees up enough money to sign Price (makes 2.5 now, saving around 3, he’ll get 5 or so) and opens up a spot for Ghallager. As for the other spare parts, trading a 5th rounder for a 2nd rounder is an obvious upgrade, and Ramo wouldn’t have come to Montreal to play 10 games a season anyway.

56. HABitat4humanity says:

i think this a good trade for René Bourque although I wish we could have traded Gionta or Gomez or AK instead of Cammy.

The only bad part about the trade is that Karri Ramo is kicking ass right now & could be a big loss to the habs future.

• price365 says:

what is wrong with you people wanting to get rid of AK – one of the better players we have – Gio and Gomez – yes make a good trade for them – some one who is tough and can score – not AK – I would want someone coming back that is a whole lot better.

57. Lizardking89 says:

So he’s lazy, inconsistent and not motivated at times….yep he’ll fit right in.

58. Chuck says:

Trying to listen to TSN 990… I’ve heard college radio done better. Across the board, from the on-air ‘talent’, to the production values, it sounds like a bunch of hacks that we’re just pulled off the street.

59. joeybarrie says:

MaxPac, DD, Cole. 2 big guys.
    AK, Pleks, Bourque 2 big guys.
    Moen, Gomez, Eller. 2 big guys.
    Darche, Nokelai, Blunden. 3 big guys.
    Not bad.
    Still got Gorges, PK, Emelin and Gill who play big.

Don’t think we can say we have a small team any longer.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

60. PeterStone says:

This Dee needs to be addressed to. Gill and Campoli are good as gone. Kaberle needs to be traded. Still leaves Weber, Diaz, Gorges, Emelin, Subban and Markov(broken). If this is the 6 Man Dee next year, then next season will be worse than this one. Habs need a Tough SOB on Dee. We can also discuss the C’s on this team …

• joeybarrie says:

why trade Kaberle? Still leading our defense in the last 14 games.
      3 points in the last 5 games. No one is saying trade PK, but he has 2 less points in the last 5 games and the same plus minus.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• PeterStone says:

because IMO he makes too much money for what he does and he’s redundant. Diaz can do what he does. We need grit and toughness on dee. As is, the Dee is soft, add Kabs and its even softer. The only way it makes sense to me is if there is an admission Markov’s knee is done and he’s retiring, otherwise, that trade was completely illogical.

• krob1000 says:

I see Kaberle and Markov as redundant if both around….(but we have no faith in Markov being healthy anymore)…but Kaberle is light years ahead of DIaz. Diaz/Weber are the same IMO and it would be redundant to have both again….at least on the ice…one in the perssbox or on the fourth when we are hruting who can play pp isn;t so bad

• PeterStone says:

i just dont see Kaberle being that strong defensively. offensively he’s almost on par with Markov, but Markov plays a much better all round game. IMO, i would even go as far as saying that defensively between Diaz and Kabs .. toss up. If there is no healthy Markov next season, this team is in big trouble again.

• The Dude says:

Because he’s not a Defense man !

• 24 Cups says:

jb – Why trade Kaberle? Because right now Cunneyworth has to employ 7Dmen because Kaberle/Gill/ Campoli can’t play regular minutes. Kaberle came in here and within ten games was pushed down the depth chart by two rookies.

PS – The time to have signed Sutton was a few years ago. Right now, he’s the whipping boy of Shanahan. The NHL is gunning for this guy, big time.

• G-Man says:

Weber, Diaz and St. Denis in Hamilton should be moved. If I could trade those 3 for 1 stay at home hitting Dman who is over 6′ and 215lbs, I definitely would pull the trigger. Need more Dmen that can clear the front of the net.

_______________________________________________

Tanking- The Losers way of winning.

• PeterStone says:

someone mentioned Gleason , who is interesting. Another interesting, Big, Mean and kinda crazy DMan who I would pursue, and who I would have pursued earlier ( but the Habs wont because he isnt their type of player ) is Andy Sutton.

• krob1000 says:

We need a tough stay at home type that can drop em like a Carkner, Mcquaid, etc. Even if this is a 7th dman …with injury tere will be plenty fo time to go around. I would target Tim Gleason in the offseason if we do unload Gomez.

A top six of Markov/Kaberle-Emelin
      Subban-Gorges
      Diaz/Gleason
      Keep Kaberle in case Markov goes down…Diaz can fill in for either of them…if Markov proves healthy trade him next deadline. I would also give ol Paul Mara(or someone like him) a shout and ask him if he mindseating some hot dogs and occasionally playing some hockey.

If this team went out and rid themselves of Gomez…signed Jarrett Stoll and Tim Gleason. Markov is healthy……we would be looking pretty good. For toughness we would have Gleason, White, Mara(or whoever), Moen, Blunden for phsyically punsihingplayers AK, Emelin, Cole, Bourque, PAtches (if he isn’t afraid to get susp’d or hurt someone as he seems rattled since he put Letang on IR).

These guys would give the smaller skilled guys a little more room out there and give Price a little protection too.

61. redgorf says:

the man as’nt played one second yet and he’s being critisezed you wonder what’s wrong with the team, I wonder what’s wrong with the you fans.

62. longtimehabsfan says:

Thinking of an alternate universe: I wonder what kind of season we would be having had Markov been healthy from the start of the season. The fire sale has started. I don’t like this trade. You make trades when values are high, not low. And in this case, the lowest. Why not wait until the trade deadline where some teams are desperate?

“It’s a moo point. Like a cow’s opinion, it doesn’t matter. It’s moo.”

I thought it was interesting to hear PG say that we obviously need more size. This was a topic which the combo of PG/JM the last couple years seemed almost adamant to deny. That is a step in the right direction. We saw them making those changes in who they drafted, and now we are seeing those changes in trades.

Perhaps we “lost” the trade in terms of which team immediately gets a better player, but Cammy was no longer a better player on this team. We simply had too many guys his size in our lineup.

And end of the day, we got Cammy as an UFA, therefore we gained Bourque, a prospect and a 2nd round pick for a free agent. I know that doesn’t mean alot, but it isn’t like he is a former 1st round pick of ours that we discard.

• jon514 says:

I really like what you said here. We all seem to forget that in this league, you can pick up Cammalleri type guys as free agents, because there’s only so many teams that have 6 million dollars and a spot on the top 3 available. We didn’t draft him. We couldn’t use him anymore cause he wasn’t producing. We got someone back who can do at least as much as he was the past 2 years, AND we opened up some room do do some work in the offseason. This is how the business of hockey is done these days.

“Let’s be clear on the facts…”

• 24 Cups says:

Gerald – I love your last paragraph – I thought the same thing last night.

We signed Cammy without losing any assets (except cap space). This is in direct contrast to the Gomez “signing” where we gave up McDonagh.

I don’t think there’s any doubt we lost the trade in terms of the ‘best player team’ wins the transaction. However, Ramo was never going to return to the NHL to be a back-up. So Ramo (smart move on Calgary’s part) for Holland is basically a trade-off for Ramo. It was understood that Cammy was better than Bourque hence the difference in picks (2nd & 5th). You also have to factor that we were dealing from a position of weakness which also pertains to the imbalance of the trade. Some people don’t buy into cap space as being an asset, but the 2.7M will help out down the road.

As for your 1st rounder comment, it will be a loss (asset wise) if AK46 flies the coop. I’ve been all over him from day one, but Feb 27th is going to be a moment of truth in terms of his value to the team.

64. 365fan says:

One of the benefits of the trade should be pp time for Eller. He didn’t get a sniff and Cammy was always on the first wave. PG is (rightfully) obsessed with getting the pp going and part of the problem was that given Cammy’s tenure it would have been very disruptive for RC to take away his pp time in favour of Eller, who has been playing better for the last month. We don’t have to worry about that now.

65. kirkiswork says:

I think it’s a good trade because I believe Cammy wasn’t happy here anymore. Unhappy players don’t perform.
    It’s nice that we are starting to get bigger( Cole, Patches, Kostitsyn, Eller and now Bourque) and I just hope Bourque is happy.

66. Goggles Pizano says:

Ça sent la coupe!

(For those who need this detail: sarcasm)

67. Bobcat Bob says:

Bobcat Bob
    There are so many good things in this trade:
    1) A good,big,tough scorer is acquired
    2) He saves us 3 million dollars in cap space
    3) The minor league player Holland is ripping it up scoring wise and he has some size
    4) A 2nd round pick (which will be a fairly high one)
    5) We get rid of a self-serving one dimensional player who did not
    want to play for us and was probably a cancer in the room, he certainly was on the ice.
    6) We had no use for Ramo and only gave up a 5th round pick
    7) Assuming we dump Gomez even more cap space becomes
    available
    8) We can easily sign Price,PK,AK etc
    9) We have the money to go after Parise or Weber perhaps both

This is an enormously great trade by the ” Goat” but I still see
    no one giving him any credit?????

NO more moves need to be made ,except replacing a few spare
    parts with somewhat better journeymen.

Nicely done Canadiens!!!!!! Go Habs Go

• DearyLeary says:

I’m not opposed to the deal’s principle. With an injury to Gionta is makes it significantly harder to restock quickly.

The news I took exception to was to tell him he’s traded in the middle of a game. I know Price said he didn’t notice, but I find it hard to believe.

• ABHabsfan says:

Nail on head

• 24 Cups says:

The trade aside, one of the things that disturbs me the most as a lifelong Hab fan is the total lack of class that has been displayed by the organization during the past few years. This goes all the way back to Gainey firing Carbo.

Cammalleri may have been way off base with his comments, but the way the trade was handled was very sad. I am firmly under the impression that Mr. Gauthier is a first class dick.

The honour and tradition of the Habs is strictly in the past tense these days.

• TomNickle says:

In what way was the handling of Cammalleri classless?

• 24 Cups says:

The Habs have always taken the high road and done things a certain way. There were two options, either sit Cammy for the game (which has been done in the past) knowing a deal is about to go down, or move him today.

I understand the worry over injury, but sitting the guy on the bench and then removing him with five minutes to go is total bush league. Especially on national television.

• TomNickle says:

He made it clear over the last week, and potentially longer that he was a distraction. He made himself bigger than the team. They certainly don’t or didn’t owe him anything.

• 24 Cups says:

(I can’t reply to your reply that you just made)

But don’t you see, Tom, that’s the point. Even if Cammalleri is an asshole who crapped all over his team, you still take the high road and keep your self-respect as a manager (and a team).

The Habs may not owe Cammalleri anything, but they do owe themselves.

I love this team but we’re the laughing stock of the NHL right now. A total house cleaning is in order.

One more thing, Molson better have a gag order on Mr Gauthier trading away our 1st rounder. If that gets moved, all is lost.

• TomNickle says:

They have to try to win games. Scratching Cammalleri before that game without Bourque in the lineup lessens their chances of winning the game.

Removing him in the third period is done to prevent injury.

Nothing classless about it.

• slychard says:

Good post, but the kid needs to fill out, at 6 feet and 167, ouch, maybe he and Leblanc can train together in off season.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• dre1744 says:

And don’t forget if we keep losing we can draft Mikhail Grigorenko who is no slouch either i think hes a 6’3 center!!!!!!!! things could be looking up in the near future

68. RiverviewCanadien says:

How dare he wear Kovy’s number!

Kiddin’.

Welcome to Montréal #27

69. krob1000 says:

Cap situation not as bad as many make it out to be….

Let’s assume we did not shed ANY of the bigger contracts…NONE of them. Let’s then assume that we keep AK and Moen (could go either way)but drop Gill and Campoli (both done IMO). BGl buyout off the books.

Now this means we keep Gomez at 7.35 and both kaberle and Markov…and all of our dmen give raise to all of the RFA’s and keep our UFA’s

DD (850k) Cole(4.5) Pacioretty (1.625) = 6.975
    Pleks(5) Gio(5) Bourque(3.33) = 13.35
    Eller (1.75) AK (4.25) Moen(2) = 8
    Gomez (7.35) RW (650k) Blund (700k) = 9.35

for a total of 37.675

Gorges (3.9) Subban (3)
    Markov(5.75) Emelin (1.75)
    Kaberle(4.25)Diaz (1)
    Weber (850k)

for a total of 20.5

Price 5 million
    backup 1 million

It all adds up to 64.175 and under the cap. That is assuming we kept all of those guys…including Gomez. We have room and I don;t think I am too far off on the RFA’s…….

There are more moves to come but we are NOT in the cap trouble as many believe…..the Cammi trade definitely helps make that possible and opens the door for Gomez to play himself back onto the team??? who knows but that would create a logjam up the middle and mean someone would have to go…but if they move Gomez like most expect…whether it be overseas, a trade or bury him …there is at on of room for upgrades….if instead they move Kaberle or even Ak…there is still room. I also have Moen at 2 million but I don’t know if the Habs will give him that.

There is room for movement and if they drop Gomez….and one or even two of the similar dmen (or maybe Markov never palys …yikes…but possible). then we have a ton of money to shore up the wign spot on Ellerand Ak’s line, have a better 4th line and still have room to add a tougher dman to the mix…….tons of options and PG knows it and the trade makes fiscal sense although it is tough to digest froma father of two huge Cammi fans.

Bourque has the reputation of running hot and cold yet still is able to score 27 goals during the past two seasons. With his honeymoon period in Montreal, he should be able to do the same this year.

He can play both sides which is a benefit although LW is (and will be) our greatest need. He can flatline in the defensive zone but then again Cammaleri was next to useless in his own end. Cammy had the skill set to be a gunslinger, as well as being a PP threat. That’s a loss no matter how you try to rationalize it out. Maybe Bourque will be able to park in front of the net (just like Cole did on Weber’s goal last night) and take on a different role in terms of scoring chances.

This next point goes totally against my grain and the way I feel hockey should be played. However, it is quite apparent that the league has no real inkling to clean up the game. With that in mind, Bourque’s ability to play with a screw loose will come in handy. He’s a headhunter and a cheap shot artist who carries his stick high. He’ll come in handy when we play Boston and Philly.

I’m still not convinced that this trade signifies that the Habs are into a total rebuild mode. Bourque is all about the here and now.

• TomNickle says:

This deal certainly wasn’t done with the intent of a rebuild in mind but it did net the team a 2nd rounder and a decent prospect.

I agree about the screw loose mentality. Lapierre’s craziness helped a little bit here and there. Some opposing players seemed to be afraid to take liberties because they didn’t want something to happen to them when their backs were turned.

• 24 Cups says:

I think the 2nd rounder has merit. Some decent players come out of that round. It’s in 2013, so any player wouldn’t be able to help the Habs until around 2017. But it’s still an asset.

Hardly anyone on this site has ever heard of Patrick Holland. I follow the game as a hobby as a retiree and had to take five minutes last night to find out who he was. Some people even mixed him up with Peter Holland (a 1st rounder). Regardless, it doesn’t appear that he’s a decent prospect (like a Kristo). Although Bob Mckenzie says the jury of scouts are divided on that point. Speaking of points, Holland’s stats in junior this year look great. Just keep in mind that he is 20 years old. That makes it a tougher comparison. He also plays RW, our deepest prospect position up front. Not to mention that he weighs under 180 lbs. Sounds like he’s a long shot.

• PeterStone says:

The good points are 1) The Habs FINALLY realize that they need to drive to the net to score goals . Really, NOW, they realize this ? 2) This is a clear admission they are out of a playoff hunt no matter what PG says. You dont trade a goal scorer in the middle of a game you are trailing by 1 goal when you desperately need the 2 points. 3) full rebuilds arent necessary in the NHL (see Philly and Fla.) , but sometimes you have to reLOAD ( a Roger Clemens line and Habs better continue reloading.

• Chuck says:

Cammy, this year, was not an offensive threat, nor was he a threat over the first two periods. A distraction… possibly. Did they remove the guy that would have probably scored the tying goal? Probably not.

• PeterStone says:

probably not, but still not the point. PG says they are still going for the playoffs, but the timing of that trade still tells me they arent. Thats fine BTW, because they wont make them anyways.

• price365 says:

9 goals in 38 games I wouldn’t exactly call that a goal scorer Bourque will be ok and a whole lot tougher – he won’t be pushed around like cammy that’s where we benefit.

71. price365 says:

Weber is better than Blunden – Why isn’t he on the 1st line – Don’t become a JM – RC

• PeterStone says:

Yanick Weber is a defenseman .

• AndyF says:

“Yanick Weber is aN AHL defenseman .”
        Fixed that for you…

• PeterStone says:

i am not a big Weber fan. I think he’s a marginal NHL Dman >> PP Specialist. I hope our team next year doesnt have Kabs, Weber, Markov(broken), Diaz as the 4 man Dee crew. Talk about Small and Soft. Yes, there is Gorges, who plays a big mans game, but still, not a massive DMan. More changes required inc. trading weber AND Kabs. PLEASE.

• krob1000 says:

He is young….if he were 25 like Diaz or Emelin I think he would be better defensively….he was rushed and is just missing little things that hold it all together. When Gorges was his age he was a regular pressboxer who I never thought would make it…..lot sof time for weber..not sure there is a plce here given our d makeup but he will be an NHL dman and have a good long career IMO

• PeterStone says:

well, we agree to disagree. IMO , he’s very soft, plays a terrible positional game for a small guy ( unlike Gorges on both points ), make poor decisions with the puck ( which I agree should improve with experience ) , and all in all, will be a PP Specialist. He’s a;sp been passed by both Emelin AND Diaz, and we agree, there is no fit on this team for him.

• DorvalTony says:

No more Smurfs.

——————————–
      “Okay, everybody take a Valium.”

• avatar_58 says:

Weber on the first line? What brand of crack or you smoking?

72. mb says:

He’s to wear no.27?

No way!
    Trade him right now. Bench him. Healthy scratch. Bury him in the minors. Send him to Europe.

What a bum!

(For those who need this detail: sarcasm)

73. stevieray says:

maybe it’ll rekindle the ghosts of the Big M…I like the trade .we gain 5 inches ( wouldn’t we all like that haha) and 30 lbs and 3 million bucks/year ! It’ll be interesting how Cammy does with a gritty hard nosed team like the Flames…. I wish him well …maybe not to well

• PeterStone says:

I think he’ll do ok there, but they wont make the playoffs ( IMO ). I beleive next year they’ll be even worse, so that 2nd pick may be pretty high.

74. avatar_58 says:

Put Bourque on your fork

75. HabsFaith says:

RB27…. meh, not the same ring to it…

76. Goggles Pizano says:

What will happen when they re-sign Kovy? What number will he wear?

77. Chuck says:

72. Oh, wait…

78. Boomer says:

when i watched that show on tsn it was interesting, i get the feeling bob is a habs fan and he seemed pissed by the move lol

79. Stuck_in_To. says:

I blame Twitter. The need for Talking Heads to spew 24-7 content is driving even the good ones like Bob to saying inane and sometimes stupid stuff.

Gotta trend, man, gotta trend …

80. LA Loyalist says:

Agreed. And a question for the commentariat:

What bothers me most about the trade is that it does not give the APPEARANCE of a calm, methodical rudder being applied in the master plan of re-build 3.0 of the Habs. Feaster and PG can (and did) agree to their cover story that “Oh this has been bubbling for a while and got derailed by the suspension.” At first I bought it, in fact I posted about it.

But the “morning after” (and MacKenzie refers to this) this looks like a knee jerk panic move, just like firing JM and PP. Now I wanted JM gone, badly. But PG waffling like MacBeth last summer and the “test-firing” of PP… is worrying. Do you guys feel there is a master plan at work here?

When Bob “Breadman” Gainey blew up the Carbo team, I was furious, but also I posted MANY times, ready to be convinced and move on: “Ok, who are we now? What is the plan? Are we the flying Frenchmen? Are we the New Jersey Devils? What is the model – because from the Dog’s breakfast of players he assembled in the putsch, it was far from clear.

And now it is very clear. Whatever Bob’s plan was, it did not suit post-lockout hockey. He had bad luck, he could not have known that Gomez would drop like a stone, that BGL would go All-Vegan… but I think the results are in. Bob Gainey’s plan was and is a train-wreck.

As for PG, he has made some decent moves, best of which is Cole. But he mis-judged Markov’s return without managing the risk (which would have been to sign Wiz and trade him at the deadline if Markov was good) and then had to go out and get Kaberle.

Most disturbing, Cammi was one of our few tradeable assets, and apparently (MacKenzie says this) he was not shopped at all. I know that LA at a minimum would have made an offer. Is it not PG’s responsibility, like any business manager, to “get 3 bids” – to maximize the value of any asset? (Bourque may work out fine, but shouldn’t he have gone through the process?)

While I like some of what PG has done, how he has handled other things is very worrying.

Do you guys feel there is a wise hand with a clear vision driving the bus? Or is it just more jittery reactionary panic?

81. TomNickle says:

I think it’s much more accurate to say that Gainey built what would have been a very good to elite team had the rule enforcement post-lockout stayed consistent. The Sabres are in the exact same place we are right now because both teams were built for a skating league.

Now they are at fault for believing the league office when this crap was spewed ad nauseum for months, so make of that what you will.

82. Les Canayens says:

If Cammelleri has a no trade clause Gauthier need to only talk to teams he desires to go.

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
    ☞ I can’t really hear what Jeremy says, because I’ve got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears.☜

83. Kooch7800 says:

wow….quote from you “Gauthier called him only YESTERDAY to ask him if he still interested in Cammi” that tells you this deal was happening for awhile. It was discussed and heated up back in December but why would you move a guy when at that point they were not sure if he was going to break out of it? they brought in Kabby to ignite the PP which didn’t really work and Cammy is not getting any better. So to sit here and say this deal was not in the works for awhile is moronic. If you think a 6 player trade is worked out in 24 hours I am afraid you are insane

84. 123456 says:

OMG 100% incorrect – flames GM confirm in an interview I WATCHED the deal was in the works.

K – Thanks Bye LIAR

85. Cardiac says:

And how does all this drivel pertain to my post. Go away… zzzzzzzz

- Jerry Maguire

86. krob1000 says:

very true

87. ebourcier says:

ak is are most tallented player? wow were in more trouble than i thought.

Ebour

88. sevenman says:

Buddy, are you serious?

89. GoGioGo says:

yakupov, grigorenko, or forsberg? but aren’t they european too?

Oh, I guess they’re not typically european?

90. Ghosts of the Forum says:

haha!

91. +100

———-
    Calamari anyone?

I am back to reading books. You?

93. cunningdave says:

Russia is in Europe. At least, the part that Sarah Palin can’t see from her house is…

94. HabFanSince72 says:

The western part of Russia is in Europe. Moscow and St.Petersburg are European cities (no one would call them Asian).

Holland is also in Europe.

95. get_real says:

Great work buddy! I did not believe a word he said .. As usual.

Now watch him trade for a smaller player next because we need speed.! What a joke.

96. Cardiac says:

Copy & paste, huh?

- Jerry Maguire

97. Kooch7800 says:

go cut and paste with your business associates somewhere else.

98. ZepFan2 says:

“All-time favorite player: Rocco Richart”

WTH is “Rocco Richart”?

———————————————————————-
    Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

99. 123456 says:

i see a JOKE right now!!

100. Bob_Sacamano says:

Actually Russia´s eastern part which is in Asia is much bigger but with the capital being in Europe, Russia is of course regarded as an European country. Ramo plays for Omsk which is in Siberia though. So as usual, HH is about 20% right and about 80% wrong…

101. ouch. point and match sir

———-
    hip-check!

102. Kooch7800 says:

Mr. Dress up and Raffi are his business associates

103. JF says:

It was against Washington – Game 2, which we ended up losing in overtime.

104. db says:

Reading between the lines…. the team bailed on Cammy. Pleks always looked so bored when Cammy was trying to tell him where to be.

105. dallyd31 says:

good thing we got rid of Cammy then….he sure hasn’t been scoring…and Bourque has. The extra size, strength, nastiness and $3million in cap space is nice too. Rene has more size, points, grit and better in the room than Cammy.
    Good trade…

106. 123456 says:

you sir makes a lot of cents!!!

107. Bobcat Bob says:

Bobcat Bob
    It is exactly the other way around: Cammi bailed on the team

108. Stev.R says:

Subban – Beaulieu
    Gorges – Diaz
    Tinnordi – Emelin
    Weber

The D is still young. They just need time.

109. Stev.R says:

Did a lot better than the guy before him.

110. likehoy says:

is that also another one of those conspiracies? I’ve never heard of a “puck”

- Next week on Habs Shore: Cammi Sweetheart is jealous of the attention G-Love is getting for his FHO philosophy (Fishing, Hockey, Overpaid)

111. habfanacrossthed says:

^^^^^ This is hilarious! I agree trading PK is a dumb idea.

GHOD – Go Habs Or Die

Which is why I say 2-3 years. ;-)

113. javaman says:

Glad to hear you all disagree with me, BUT, if you think a package of Campoli/Kaberle/Weber is going to get us the quality center this team needs, forgetaboutit. You have to give up something to get something.

Subban’s antics are an embarassment and a disgrace to the grand flanel.

Dump him.

114. D Mex says:

Keeping Subban is not a stroke of genius either if he continually pisses off as many people, including teammates, as HIO staffers and others allude to …

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

115. habs-fan-84 says:

lol who said a package of Campoli/Kaberle/Weber was going to get us quality. Nobody in their right mind would suggest that.

116. D Mex says:

I think you’re on the right track Java. Subban’s skill set seems to be well regarded – he might be the nugget required to help the Habs fetch a long-term difference maker up front.

Not that we’re flush with can’t-miss D prospects, but there is certainly cause for optimism with Tinordi and Beaulieu in the system. PG should learn from comments that surfaced following the trade with Calgary and do a better job of marketing Subban – get the word out Pierre ! Hold on to Kaberle and Gill a while longer – is Markov even a factor anymore ?

ALWAYS Habs -