Emelin out for the season with torn knee ligament

The Canadiens delivered some bad news at practice Monday: defenceman Alexei Emelin is out for the rest of the season after suffering a torn ligament in his left knee as a result of a collision with Boston’s Milan Lucic during Saturday’s victory over the Bruins.

In 38 games this season, the 26-year-old defenceman posted 3-9-12 totals, 33 penalty minutes and was plus-2. He also leads the Canadiens in hits with 110 - 42 more than Brandon Prust, who ranks second with 68.

The Canadiens got more bad news at the end of practice when Max Pacioretty left early with a lower-body injury. He’s listed as day-to-day.

Meanwhile, Rene Bourque, who has been sidelined by a concussion since Feb. 22, took to the ice with his teammates for practice in Brossard, skating on a line with Jeff Halpern and Travis Moen as the Canadiens prepared to face Alex Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals Tuesday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690). Bourque should be in the lineup Tuesday.

Defenceman Nathan Beaulieu, who was called up from the Hamilton Bulldogs on the weekend, was on the ice for practice and will take Emelin’s spot in the lineup.

The other forward lines at practice were: Ryder-Plekanec-Gionta; Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher; Galchenyuk-Eller-Prust.

Defence pairings were: Gorges-Subban; Markov-Drewiske; Beaulieu-Bouillon; Kaberle-Weber.

After practice, Raphael Diaz, who has been sidelined since Feb. 25 with a concussion, skated with strength and conditioning coach Pierre Allard.

The Canadiens will be facing a red-hot Ovechkin Tuesday night. Ovechkin scored twice in a 4-2 win over the Tampa Bay Lightning on Sunday, giving him 16 goals in 14 games. He also pulled even with the Lightning’s Steven Stamkos for the NHL lead in goals with 25.

Washington has won four straight and eight of its last 10 games.

(Photo by Dario Ayala/The Gazette)

1. otter649 says:

#1005….

2. Lafleurguy says:

Last and 999th.

“May you live in interesting times.”

3. BJ says:

New blog, I’m alone there, come on over.

4. Strummer says:

What can we expect from Beaulieu tonight and going forward?

Will he be provide as much impact as PK did in 2010 when he stepped in for Marklov?

Is Beaulieu as dominant at the AHL level as PK was before he stepped up to the big club?

Anyone?

Bueller?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• jedimyrmidon says:

I would say ‘no’. Having a player like Subban that improved at an astonishing rate and adapted to the NHL game as quickly as he did is extremely rare.

However, I do hope that Beaulieu will prove to be a solid element in the lineup.

• Strummer says:

Soild works for me too.
        PK had to fill Markov’s shoes so Beaulieu’s task would seem less daunting.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Propwash says:

I’m not expecting miracles from him, but I’m pretty sure he will do alright, it’s not like he was a total flop his first time with the team this year.

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• veryhabby says:

Strummer….from what I read, Beaulieu had a tough start to the season in AHL. Before that, summer, Timmons said that Tinordi was more NHL ready then Beaulieu. But it looks like things have gone well over the AHL season to the point that he did well in his 2 (?) games and now recalled. Because I had heard of his start and saw his stats were not overly impressive, I was sooo shocked to see how well he did in his first call up. His skating and how calm he is with the puck. Very impressed. There was something to his game that caused the habs to call him up instead of Tinordi. I think the 2nd unit of PP was also huge consideration when it came to a call up.

So I don’t expect him to impact as PK did. But man, he could impress and even become our #4 dman in the playoffs. I love Bouillon, he’s a great #5! And Drew is ok #6.

I hope he plays so well that when Diaz comes back it makes MT job hard on who to sit, him or Drew.

• habsfan0 says:

Beaulieu sounds a great deal like Beliveau.

• Hobie Hansen says:

As much as I love Tinordi, I felt Beaulieu did the best job of the players called up from the Dogs this year on defense.

Is Emelim more NHl ready than Beaulieu, most definitely. But I don’t think the drop off from loosing Emelin will be huge though. Aside from the big hits, Emelin is an ordinary defenseman IMO.

And the big hits that Emelin has thrown in the NHL since his arrival have lessened because players are more aware of him when they step on the ice.

5. Lafleurguy says:

3 of the past 7 Conn Smythe winners were goalies, Jonathan Quick, Tim Thomas, Cam Ward. A big surprise is that Martin F. Brodeur has never won the Conn Smythe!

“May you live in interesting times.”

6. Maritime Ron says:

I saw this in the Montreal French newspaper this morning about Rene Bourque

” C’est à la suite de ce recul que Bourque a choisi de rendre visite à un spécialiste des commotions cérébrales dans la région d’Atlanta.
    J’en ai parlé avec Marc Bergevin qui a dit oui tout de suite, a ajouté l’attaquant de 31 ans. L’idée, c’était d’essayer différents traitements, et ç’a tout de suite fonctionné. Je crois que cette visite-là m’a beaucoup aidé.

It seems to say Rene went to Atlanta and received different treatments for his concussion that worked IMMEDIATELY.

Coincidence? Or is there an issue about Habs doctors and therapists not being up to speed about the latest therapy? If so, and the Atlanta place is the best, why are we waiting to send our concussed players down there???

• Kooch7800 says:

This is something in the medical community that is still being investigated and there are certain specialists that know more than others. Concussions/brain injuries are not easy injuries

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Maritime Ron says:

Understood, Kooch. All I’m saying is that if we don’t have the best, why aren’t we using the best from the get go?

• Mattyleg says:

Because players don’t always need the best, I guess.
          Bourque’s case was more serious than originally imagined, perhaps, or responded differently to standard procedures.
          If you break your leg, you don’t need to go to the top bone specialist in North America. If you break your leg badly enough, then it’s worth a visist.

BTW, that specialist is the one that Crosby went to.
          Seems to know his shnizz.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Kooch7800 says:

I would imagine availability and proper diagnosis as well. At one point Bourque was making progress and was skating then he got worse again. I think that is when they realized the route they were taking was not working

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• I hear what you’re saying, but that quote is a little unclear, and could also mean “it started to help immediately,” or ” I began to see a difference right away” — rather than implying that they cured him overnight. I can’t imagine that any treatment is an instant cure for concussions.

I’m not a doctor, but it may well be that there are different techniques for treating concussions — and that the leading experts on these techniques aren’t all Habs employees. : )

• hab fan in leaf jungle says:

Sometimes medical diagnoses are guesses because there are no hard and fast tests that can be performed to ascertain the cause of pain, nausea, headaches etc. Sidney Crosby had the best doctors treating him for his concussion and they were way off in their prognosis and even in the region of the body they were treating. I’m just glad that Bourque is better and back in the line-up. Maybe the Habs can use their Air Miles to send Diaz to Atlanta as they could use his offensive prowess on the PP.

7. aemarchand11 says:

Well i punched my ticket to Montreal fot my first playoff games at the end of the month. After much research, and depending on if the habs finish with home ice the games should be April 30 and May 2 at the Bell Centre. The Arena is booked for Rihanna on May 1 and three concerts on Friday, Saturday and Sunday(Afternoon) so those dates should be concrete.

All my purchases are reimbursible if they dont get home ice/dates changes for the games. So while i still need the habs to keep up the pace, I hope they play the leafs. Nothing would be a more exciting atmosphere than the Habs vs Leafs in a playoff Game.

Fingers Crossed… Section 101 and 123…

Big Game Tonight!

8. frontenac1 says:

Agreed Cal. Habs can beat any team out there.To go deep in the playoffs it all comes down to goaltending. We have the best One/Two combo in the League IMO and a damn good coach. Bring it on!

Perhaps a new thread would be good, tired of looking at Emelin laying helplessly on ice.

10. C-Sword says:

I’m glad that Bourque is back, but do you really think he’d be willing to crash the net and get in the dirty area like he did early on? Or will we see the Bourque of last year, playing cautiously and avoiding hits?

11. Sportfan says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO as per Stubbs “no Charles Prévost-Linton” crap I like him!

• AllHailTheFlower says:

Agreed! I think Monsieur Prevost-Linton is cut from the same cloth as the late, great Roger Doucet, and I always have a good vibe about the game when he performs the anthem. This does not bode well…

• habsfan0 says:

While Charles Prévost-Linton has his own unique style,there’s no way he can be compared to the late,great Roger Doucette,IMHO.

The Habs were winning all those Stanley Cups in the 70’s when Doucette was singing the anthem. During the playoffs,I’d love to see recorded versions of Doucette singing the Canadian anthem before all Habs home games to inspire everybody.

• calvee123 says:

I wondered about that also but thought this is what the flyers do for luck. Its not a Canadiens thing. I wouldn’t want to try it, but who knows. He did stir up the blood that’s for sure. I loved how he sang O Canada. I also miss Danny Galavan along with his color man Dick Irvin. CBC is not what it once was…..

12. Sportfan says:

Newest blog is up! This is a bit different from the usual, but it talks about a few things coming up next month that will be very entertaining for some check it out! |

13. habs12 says:

Patches playing tonight. No surprise there.

14. Lafleurguy says:

Words of caution from 2012 playoffs. Braden Holtby was solid, and the main reason why the defending champs were ousted by the Capitals. Brodeur probably outplayed Lundqvist, and thus the unheralded Devils emerged from the East. Jonathan Quick was out of this world the entire season, and unbelievably got better in the playoffs. Swept the Blues who had the Jennings trophy for best goals against average. This year, Quick is firmly planted on Earth with a 2.49 GAA and .898 SV%. Back-up Jonathan Bernier has a 1.86 GAA and .922 .SV%.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• habsfan0 says:

It’s all about goaltending in the playoffs.

• christophor says:

No. No, it’s not.

The 32 skaters between them play a pretty important role.

• Lafleurguy says:

I like our chances with Price. On Toronto’s TSN 1050 Radio, on Mike Richards’ show, they were comparing playoff chances of success between Leafs and Habs, and the difference-maker tilting things in favor of the Habs was Price. Of course, I know how much HIO values the opinions of Toronto media.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• jedimyrmidon says:

I think I’ll take the Habs’ defense too…

And the good habit of not being outshot all the time.

And scoring depth (not to take anything away from the Leafs’ two top lines that score at a very high rate).

15. Bripro says:

I have a few concerns as we approach the playoffs. Initially, I would have been happy with the Habs making it to the next season. But now that they’ve been lights-out all year, like everyone else, I want them to go far. They’ve managed to outperform most teams this year, I believe, because of their conditioning and the fact that the team adapted fast and early to MT’s plan.
    But now, most teams are catching up on those fronts. Teams with players out of shape are finding their groove (Ovetchkin, hello) and other teams which took a while to get going are now in full tilt (I hate to admit that the Leafs fall in this category).
    As they say, the playoffs are a different season, and it’s anyone’s game, but I think I would rather we secure the 1st or 2nd spots than fall to 4th and meet the Leafs in the first round.
    That would suck, and either team would come out of that series bruised up, having the face the Pens or Bs next. It’ll be a tough playoff this year.
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m still very optimistic. I just want all of the odds on our side, and a little luck, like ’93.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think the Leafs will stay where they are and we won’t get them in the first round. i do think we may be facing either the Rangers or Ottawa. There is no easy series I am afraid.

Washington might have Ovie playing better but their goaltending and Defense I am not sure they are cup threats at this point.

I am interested to see how the habs play vs the caps tonight.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Loonie says:

Why are so many people this concerned about the Leafs? They’re a fairy tale.

They routinely get out-shot, they have inconsistent goaltending, they aren’t deep at forward and they don’t control the puck or play.

They’re much improved and that’s mainly due to a an 87% penalty kill percentage as opposed to previous years when that special teams unit was abysmal.

But I don’t get why they’re being mentioned in the same conversation as the league’s best teams.

I’ll admit that anything can happen in the playoffs and that they “could” beat the Habs in a seven game series, but I’d be picking the favourites, and the Habs would be the favourites.

I think this fear of playing the Leafs has more to do with losing to a rival than it is fear of their team.

I would welcome a series against the Leafs. If this Habs team can’t beat them they don’t deserve to go on a long playoff run.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Agreed that the Habs need to be able to beat anyone to deserve going on a long playoff run.

The apprehensiveness about facing the Leafs is from the fanbase standpoint (especially for those of us living in Toronto) where the Leafs fanbase is basically in a win-win situation – making the playoffs for the first time in 8 years is enough for them, but if they were to beat the Habs means that we will never hear the end of it in the media or from other people.

Also, the Leafs continue to have success despite conventional wisdom that says getting outshot every single game usually means you’ll lose more than you win. Every shot they take is dangerous, which isn’t the case for the vast majority of teams.

I’d say they are deep at forward, but not on defense.

• shiram says:

Toronto could be more of a physical team to play, if you are going for the long run, you need to have healthy bodies.

• jedimyrmidon says:

They’re more physical for sure.

I think there’s an added concern when they play the Habs though. Last game, it seemed like they were trying to “finish” checks with reckless abandon, not really caring about how late and how potentially dangerous they were (e.g. Mike Brown on Gorges, or Phaneuf trying to run over Gallagher).

• krob1000 says:

You are forgetting there are two Toronto Maple Leafs teams …one that plays the rest of the league and one that plays the Habs. It has always seemed they are more out to get us than us against them as they have always been the bridesmaid…that factor always scares me agaisnt the LEafs even when their teams were abysmal….they just step up their game against Montreal it seems.

• Bripro says:

Tom, I agree that the concern might be overstated.
        And I really believe that this year’s Habs can beat anyone, but just as Krob pointed out, even during years where the Leafs are truly dismal (almost every year), they play the league one way, and the Habs a far more aggressive way.
        And if the Leafs get to play at the Bell centre while I’m there, they might be dragging me out in handcuffs.

• Cal says:

Like I said yesterday. Bring them all on. Habs can compete with any team in the East and West. Habs are that good despite what we continually read here.

• Maritime Ron says:

While the Leafs look good, playoffs is a whole different ball of wax where weaknesses are completely exposed.Their huge weakness is their group of 6 Defensemen. They are slow with little puck sense. They panic and give the puck away often. I saw last night’s game and Rick Nash is a great player that can make many Dmen look bad. In that same game, he waltzed around Franson and Fraser to score 2 goals. That is their big problem and rarely does Offense win championships.

In case any of you still long for the Nordiques, perhaps this can help you.

Nordiques

17. Steeltown Hab says:

Pretty excited to see Bourque out there tn, just curious to see the dynamic it will add to the lineup.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

18. Strummer says:

Bourque being out so long is like a deadline pickup!
    ______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

19. Mattyleg says:

It’s pretty freaky how similar we are to the Bruins in the standings:
    One OT/SO loss more than them, and we have two more in goal differential than them.
    And we have the same record in our last 10 games.

We’re through the looking glass here, people…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

20. twilighthours says:

Is it confirmed that Armstrong is out for the year?

21. Marc10 says:

It’s going to be a good one. More important for the Caps, but I’d be happy to send Mikey Ribs back home with a proper arse kicking.

OVIE is back playing as he can because of the new buy out clause.!

Don’t expect to much from Mr. Bourque tonight. He will get back to playing as he did in the 1st part of this season over the next few games.
    Therrien being very smart in playing him at first on the 4th line. He will work his way up the ladder.
    So now we have two and possibly three players out for the rest of the season. Armstrong, Emilin, and maybe Diaz.
    Therrien again being very astute in bringing the kids up from the farm as needed. Nothing is given, everything is earned.

We can ill afford to lose games now, with a tough few games ahead against the Caps, Sabers and Toronto Sat. night.
    We are one point ahead of Boston and we are just behind Pittsburgh, we play them on the 17th.

• kerrgte says:

most of all, at this stage of the season, we want our boys to stay healthy.

This Cinderella run, after last year’s debacle, is a little too much of a good thing. In today’s tough league, I am cautiously optimistic for the post-season. (And I won’t be watching the Tor- Mtl game on saturday night – just too stressful. BUT when I check the score at the end of the 1st period and our boys are winning, I’ll watch the rest of the game.)

A recent 2013 draft analysis had Mtl rated first of all Cdn teams. in potential drafting success this June with 1 1st and 3 2nd rounders. I really think MB is ramping up the team this year to become even stronger next year.

cheers

• Maksimir says:

That’s funny – I’m the same way.. I live in Ontario and loathe the Leafs (because of their fans) and to watch Montreal lose in the playoffs to them would be a kick in the nuts… then I’d have to spend the next two months looking at all the stupid leaf flags flapping from all the cars. ug.

24. Loonie says:

After having looked at the schedules of the teams in the East. I think the following will play out……

1. Pittsburgh
    2. Montreal
    3. Washington
    4. Boston
    5. New York Rangers
    6. Toronto
    7. Ottawa
    8. Philadelphia

*The Flyers and Rangers have darn good schedules that could and I believe will lead to winning streaks.

• Mustang says:

If you are right, the Pittsburgh – Philadelphia match-up will be interesting.

• Cal says:

For Philly to make up 5 points in 10 games would be remarkable. This season, they aren’t remarkable. The rest of your picks could work out, though.
      -Edit- NJ for 8th spot. Islanders are too, well, like the Oilers.

• Loonie says:

Small sample size, 20 points available for taking and their competition for the last spot in the East is limited to the Islanders, Devils, Jets and Sabres.

I don’t think it would be a miracle for them to make that up. Hell, they could make it up in three games.

• Cal says:

Catching up with teams between you and 8th place is very tough in this era of 3 point games.
          Say Philly gets 14 out of 20 points- considering their record this season, that would be above average. That brings them to 51 pts.
          NJ just needs 5 wins and two OT losses to better that.

• Sportfan says:

I really wish the Jets will take the division because that would be awesome to see that crowd go bat crap crazy in the playoffs, but unfortunatel the Caps decided to get hot -_-

• dhenry1234 says:

1. Pittsburgh- I think we can win that series.
      2. Montreal
      3. Washington- I think we can win that series.
      4. Boston- I think we can win that series
      5. New York Rangers – I think we can win that series.
      6. Toronto – I think we can win that series.
      7. Ottawa – I think we can win that series.
      8. Philadelphia – I think we can win that series.

OH YEAH1234! It’s an exciting time to be a Habs fan!

• Habsrule1 says:

I have a sneaking suspicion that the sens’ injuries have caught up with them and that they’ll slip out of the playoffs. They are only 4 points up on 8th right now and they’re starting to slide.

Go Habs Go!!

• RetroMikey says:

Pittsburgh to 1.
      Boston to 2.
      Montreal to 4.
      Toronto to 5.
      Rangers to 6.
      Ottawa to 7.
      Winnipeg to 8.

We will have a classic match up of a Toronto-Montreal playoff series.
      This will tell you what’s important, speed and skill in a smaller team like the Habs or a bigger, unskilled team with grit like Toronto.
      It will be a physical series, only the strong will survive.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

So the NHL finally decided to correct that stupid reward of 3rd place to the Southeast division winner by eliminating 3rd place. Cool! Did not know that.

• Loonie says:

Kessel, Grabovski, Liles, Kadri, Gardiner and Gunnarsson. Why would the Habs even show up to play those Leafs? I mean, they’re so bloody intimidating.

They lead the league in hits which of course has nothing to do with them not controlling the puck.

• FB says:

According to sportsclubstats.com we have a 38.3% chance of playing the Leafs. 17% chance of playing the Rangers and 15.7% chance of facing the Sens.

Stubbs Tweets Chris Lee is effing the Habs tonight. Sorry meant Reffing. ;-)

The rationale behind Minnesota trading picks and prospects for Pominville.

• Cal says:

Pretty bold moves. The Wild GM believes his prospect pool is deep enough to lose one. They really do need a winner there to build more interest. This season’s playoff runs shall be a lot of fun to watch.

• Sportfan says:

It was surprising that they made the move to get him, but I like Minnesota its a team that makes sense in the NHL I hope they have a good run and that they fill the building for years to coem because thats an area that cares about hockey!

• 24 Cups says:

Hackett and a 1st rounder made sense. I would have then told Buffalo to take either Larsson or the 2nd rounder, but not both.

Minnesota overpaid. Even following Leopold’s train of thought, the team could have picked up another mid-level, trade deadline player for the extra piece that they gave away.

27. Sportfan says:

Habs beat caps 4-3 That’s what I think will happen.