Bourque, Murray back in Habs lineup against Leafs

The Canadiens held an optional skate Saturday morning in Toronto before facing the Maple Leafs (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

After the skate Canadiens coach Michel Therrien announced that forward Rene Bourque and defenceman Douglas Murray will be in the lineup against the Leafs, with Ryan White, Jarred Tinordi and George Parros being healthy scratches. Carey Price will start in goal.

James Reimer will start in goal for the Leafs and it looks like centre Dave Bolland, who has been sidelined since November with an ankle injury, could play.

Here’s how the Canadiens lineup is expected to look against the Leafs:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
Brière-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bourque-Galchenyuk-Gionta
Moen-Eller-Weise

Bouillon-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Murray-Weaver

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

Leafs vs. Habs preview, NHL.com

Is Bolland in or out? Toronto Sun

Bruins going for 12th straight win, NHL.com

1. Lafleurguy says:

The Leafs are Forever Rivals, for us fans of Les Boys
    And rants from TO media are heard by us as white noise
    We need the defense defending, and our offense to offend
    And then we’ll be TO’s Daddy, until this season’s end.

2. Un Canadien errant says:

It’s amazing how polarized we are about most things on HIO. The Canadiens slight shuffle of the defensive corps for tonight’s game is drawing howls from some of us, as if it’s treasonous behaviour.

We have a lot of defencemen. Some of them do some things moderately well, but others not as much. They have strengths and weaknesses. We have quantity, not quality, for the most part. With Josh Gorges out, it complicates the job to make a coherent whole out of a box of mismatched parts.

We can agree that, for better or worse, P.K. Subban, Andrei Markov, Alexei Emelin and Josh are our top 4. We then have to cobble together a third pairing out of odds and ends.

Douglas Murray has some deficits in his mobility and puck handling, but he’s all effort and brings unparalleled toughness to our blue line, so he’ll play a lot of games the rest of the season. As some have pointed out, it may be a good idea to rest him once in a while though, due to his advancing years.

Francis Bouillon is a reliable spare defenceman. He’s not great at anything, but he doesn’t have any great failings, he’s the Swiss Army knife, of our fallback brigade. Some offence, some defence, special teams, he can carry the puck and make a pass, he can play when there’s some hitting going on. The fact that he earned the trust of the organization and of the coaches isn’t something he should be scorned for.

Mike Weaver is as advertised, a smallish right-handed defensive defenceman who can play on the third pair. He’s not great, I don’t think he’s good, but he’s adequate for the purposes we brought him in, and the price we paid.

Jarred Tinordi is as expected, a big defenceman who can play when the going gets tough. He’s surprisingly mobile, and can handle the puck, but his journey isn’t completed yet. This season while in Hamilton, he struggled early on, being downright invisible some games, to the muted chagrin of the Bulldogs’ announcers. He’s getting a chance to play in Montréal now due to the fact that we are bereft of options, but it’s more of a case of the team hoping he’s ready, as opposed to him demonstrating he is ready and must progress to the NHL since he dominates in the AHL.

As for our other intrepid youngsters in Hamilton, they’re in the same boat as Jarred. We all imagine plunking down Greg Pateryn on the third pairing, a mature right-handed defensive defenceman seems to be just what the doctor ordered, but the brass isn’t enamored with that idea, obviously. Since they see the kid play every game, and at every practice, I’ll have to trust their judgment.

Same with Nathan Beaulieu. While he impressed me, and the boys at RDS also thought he showed that he was ready for the NHL, he’s been left to continue his apprenticeship with the Bulldogs. The reports are that his attitude and effort weren’t up to par after being sent down during the Olympic break. He, along with Jarred, also had an undistinguished start to his season in Hamilton. With Marc Bergevin putting such a premium on character and work ethic, and stating that you seldom regret bringing up a prospect “too late”, but often regret bringing one up too soon, we can understand the dynamic at play here.

So with all these considerations, with no obvious solutions at hand (“Hey, I just had an idea, why don’t we play Rod Langway and Donald Dufresne on our third pair?! They’re just sitting up there in the pressbox…”), the coaching staff will mix and match players, deal with injuries the best they can, play hunches, play the percentages, consider the opponent, respect the veterans, try to work in the rookies, … It will be a juggling act, and their choices won’t really have unanimous support, whichever one they make.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

3. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I dunno …I was a goalie, which kinda ‘splains My eccentricities ,,,but I never coached more than My Son’s soccer team

…I don’t think I would be a very good coach, in any sport, because My free-spirit would be being fined and suspended more than all My players combined

…BUT I do have a Hell of a lot of backseat driver opinions on how other people whom know a lot more about coaching than I ever will, do their job

…as in, at this time, M. Michel Therrien

…I mean I walk into HIO and read Tinordi is a healthy scratch in tonight’s game vs da Weedz

…I further am informed that wee little Weaver and Boullion, along with Murray the pachyderm, ARE playing against a fast physical offensive team in a crunch-time joust with da Weedz

…so, is it Me that’s crazy ???

4. Psycho29 says:

New Thread

5. scrotchland says:

the man Timo is right,we are going to be disappointted tonight., look for habs to lose by 6.,probably 8-2 leafs. .

saw the great news about hudon being out of his coma. therian should have hired the same doctor to get borcque out of his. .

6. Lafleurguy says:

Hey! HIO has rules! Like Fight Club!

7. Dunboyne Mike says:

Thanks whoever.

8. Danno says:

Memo to Bork:

Time to make the donuts!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

Danno! There you are.
      (Must be a sign of spending too much time here, but I found myself thinking about a couple of posters today while at the barbers. Usually HIO doesn’t intrude on real life when I’m not actually at my computer).

Anyway, can you or Dennis help. For years I’ve been trying to track down the music for, I think, the CBC’s Saturday afternoon sports show from the early 1970s. The music was not ELO’s “Fire on High”, and obviously not the music from ABC’s Wide World of Sports. But it was definitely the same genre, although way cooler, imo.

I’ve done primitive searches on Youtube with no success. I thought it was time to turn it over to the masters.

No rush, btw!

• Danno says:

Ask, and thou shalt receive!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
        Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Psycho29 says:

@DM:
        I can’t think of what it was like, can you hum it??

Sure no prob.

Dm
          Dah! Dah! Dah! DAAAH!
          Dm
          Dah! Dah! Dah! Dah!
          BA Dm.
          Dah! Dah! Dah! DAAAH!
          Dm
          Dah! Dah! Dah! Dah!
          BUH buh, buh buh, buh buh, buh
          Buhbuhbuh, buhbuhbuh
          BUH buh, buh buh, buh BUH, buh buh
          Buhbuhbuh, buhbuhbuh
          Dm
          etc

• Lafleurguy says:

Some info, may or may not help:
        Canadian Superstars

Sun 2:00-3:00 p.m., 15 Jan-26 Feb 1978

Sun 4:00-5:00 p.m., 28 Jan-25 Mar 1979

Sat 3:00-6:00 p.m., 5 Jan-22 Mar 1980

Sat 3:00-6:00 p.m., 10 Jan-28 Mar 1981

Television networks developed the idea of packaging competitions among athletes to fill time during intermissions of hockey or football games. The Superstars contest purported to determine the greatest all-round athlete. It required participants to choose seven sports in which to compete, excluding their own sport. The choices were swimming, tennis, rowing, bowling, batting (a baseball), gymnastics, weightlifting, soccer, a one hundred metre sprint, a half-mile run, cycling, and an obstacle course. The total prize money was $46,000, and the winner went on to represent Canada in a world Superstars competition.

Canadian Superstars was broadcast between halves during CFL games carried on the CBC, and, after the end of the football season, during the Saturday afternoon show, Sportsweekend. The Executive Producers were John Spalding (l976-l979) and Jim Thompson (l980-8l); producers were Cec Browne (l976- 1977), Ron Harrison (l978), and Larry Brown (l979-8l). CBC sportscasters Ernie Afaganis and Tom McKee were co-hosts

9. frontenac1 says:

@Commandant. Hola amigo! My buddy the Hawks fan just sent me a message. Apparently Terevainen has been activated to replace Kane. You were right on the money with that call in the draft 2yrs ago. Saludos!

10. B says:

Is Ryan Miller running out of gas already? Perhaps his record since joining the Blues is skewed up a bit by the many games vs non-playoff spot teams?

–Go Habs Go!–

11. jimmy shaker says:

Anybody else score board watching? Bolts got a point…..sucks! Wings up at the end of 2. If they win there home and home with minny and taranna loses tonight and tomorrow vs jersey, than taranna falls out and the wings slide in with 2 games in hand still. Crunch time!

Shaker out!

12. Wintercount says:

24 gets deked out of his pants and gives a backhand away for the winner.
    My take, he gets beat both times by the amazing Ryan Johanson and that’s how you really learn in this league. 24 will not easily forget the who and the why. What MT thinks is of no consequence.
    And Beauleau should be on the team like a lot say, but I’m taking 24 over him anyday.

13. Phil C says:

My take on Tinordi is that he does not yet have a full NHL skillset yet. He is simply not good enough with the puck yet. There are certain mistakes you can’t make in the NHL like turnovers at your blueline. Tinordi made at least two bad turnovers in the last game other than the winning goal. He also had a really bad pinch that resulted in Weaver having to take a penalty to prevent a breakaway. More playing time will help his decision-making but not his puck handling.

To me Beaulieu has an NHL level skill set as far as skating and puck handling go. So to me he would benefit more from NHL game experience to improve his decision-making. He may not kill penalties and defend as well as Tinordi, but he will make less mistakes with the puck. For my money, Beaulieu should be up playing instead of Tinordi.

I think once Tinordi improves his puck handling and matures a little more physically, he will be a hell of a defenceman, he just needs a little more time to develop a more complete skillset. That is better accomplished a level down.

Agreed, Phil.
      We are all assuming that Tinordi’s not playing because of that one spectacular and costly goof. I think your suggestion of more cumulative reasons has to be closer to reality.

As for Beaulieu, I think Rhino’s suggestions below have to be taken seriously, ie. that there may well be various issues with him which unfortunately necessitate keeping him in Hamilton.

How’s the cat?

• Phil C says:

Good point, there seems to more to the Beaulieu story than is obvious to us. Cat’s fine thanks!

Tried Listorine?!

Here, check this out if you like cats. 14 minutes I’m afraid, but it will help bring the opening faceoff closer! It’s unbelievable:

Scroll down to the video. If you like cats, you will be jealous.

• Ron says:

Mike, our exchange got dumped to the backend some how. Sackville is a great University town. I have family there. I’m in the fog bound City of Saint John. Born and raised. A side from a few detachments in the Maritimes I have spent most of my life here in the City. Always left my wife and 5 off spring here.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

(Yeah I saw that. Glad the mods are on active duty – must be because it’s a Leafs game. Nothing against the poster, just didn’t want that one seen.)

Apart from my recent visit to Toronto, my last trip home was in 2011 for one last visit with a dying uncle in New River Beach. Was in and out of St John a few times, of course. The cousins had previously lived in Rothsay, and I grew up visiting them fairly frequently. Across the road from Sobeys!

Was I getting warm on the recollection of our exchange?

• Ron says:

The piling on affect was the the posts I was refering to. I have relations in Charlotte County, New River Beach area as well. I also have relations behind and across from the Sobeys you speak of. Small world sometime.

• Ozmodiar says:

Beaulieu didn’t look good in the games I watched during the Olympic break. Turnovers at the opposing blue line, going for a line change at the wrong time, etc…

They’re both mistake-prone at this point. Maybe they’re going with the mistake-prone rookie who’s better in his own end.

• Paz says:

Beaulieu didn’t look good in Hamilton? Ok. But he was terrific in Montreal.

• HabsPooch says:

Beaulieu is the type of player that excels when he’s surrounded by good players. Great with a stacked Saint John’s team and good so far with the Habs but sub par with the Bulldogs. I don’t think he’s an impact defenseman but I think will be good enough to be a very solid second pairing defenceman. I think it’s more beneficial for him to be up with the big club then down with Hamilton playing out the season…

• Ozmodiar says:

Yes. Strange. The Beaulieu Paradox.

• Phil C says:

Fair point, I didn’t watch him in Hamilton.

• boing007 says:

Beaulieu had an assist last night. Bournival scored twice. What’s not to like?

Richard R

• likehoy says:

I can’t figure out why Tinordi was called up post-olympics and not Beaulieu.. and why Tinordi hasn’t been sent down yet.

He’s made mistakes in every game he’s played in since being called up and this is not the time of year to be testing out prospects with a lot of key points on the line.

Tinordi has lost us directly 2-4 points since being called up.. (Budaj has lost us the others).. but it’s tough to have him in such a high pressure situation and he’s not succeeding.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Sadly agree

• Lafleurguy says:

Good memory. I vividly remember the play in a previous loss where Tinordi got stripped of the puck at the left face-off dot and a goal quickly resulted. See that play dozens of times in grandson’s bantam games. Didn’t happen in the last 3 1/2 minutes so it’s like that idiot tree falling when no one was around; upon further review, no sound.

• likehoy says:

The Phoenix turnover at the blue line in the 3rd perid of a one-goal game that resulted in the goal killed me.. and that was only the 3rd-4th game he played since the break.

We ended up losing the game 5-2 and the rest is history

• Phil C says:

I worry it may wreck his confidence. You don’t want a young kid building up too much scar tissue. He has great potential.

• Da Hema says:

Dryden wrote that one thing that distinguished the Habs from other teams when he played was the singular commitment the coaching staff had to developing players. Claude Ruel, for example, spent untold extra hours working with defencemen like Langway and Ludwig refining their passing.

Perhaps times are different today. The NHL players’ collective agreement may well limit the amount of practice time, and both the coaches and players may not have the same desire for excellence as in the past. It may also be the case the team expects that work to be done in the AHL.

Unless there is something the team’s coaching staff sees about Beaulieu, I agree he should be playing with the big team — especially in light of the team’s dearth of second-line defencemen to play on the powerplay. I also agree Tinordi will become a fine defenceman — but he appears to be on the unpolished side at this stage.

• habstrinifan says:

“There are certain mistakes you can’t make in the NHL like turnovers at your blueline”

I dont like the ‘finality’ of that message when coupled with a benching of a rookie defenceman like Tinordi. Especially a ‘big size’ hitting defenceman with a bent to show some puck movement skills.

So I hope that was not the message emphasized by any of the coaches who told him that he was ‘sitting’.

Heck last televised (cbc) Kings game I saw Doughty make two blaring turnovers. Yes Doughty and it was NOT missed by the announcers.

From Tinordi’s remarks it seemed his ‘recovery’ process was slow in kicking in because of a momentary ‘ooops’ factor.

THAT would be my message to him. In any sport, when you make your play, you instinctively should be in high gear, no thinking, recovery mode when things go awry… and analyse your error after.

• Phil C says:

I actually find Tinordi to be an intelligent player. He knows he shouldn’t cough up the puck there. But at the higher pace and under pressure, his puck handling let’s him down. That’s why I think you are putting players in a position to fail of you rush them before all the skills are good enough to work subconsciously and under pressure as you say. Maybe if he simplifies his game, he won’t get into as much trouble and he can gain confidence.

Hi Phil.

I agree, the turnover on the winning goal was really bad. Despite Weaver calling for the puck and despite Tinordi being turned around, the better play was up the boards. Price wasn’t able to bail the kid out and he wears the title of goat.

I recall the pinch you mentioned. Weaver was back and in excellent position. He got eaten up though and took a penalty as he was thrown aside like a rag doll. It was a simple one on one and Weaver couldn’t defend. Not surprising. He is small and comes as advertised. Mistakes aren’t easily covered when you are playing beside a guy like Weaver. Despite being a defensive defenceman, he and Murray got caught on a breakaway within ten seconds of the start of the third period against the Sens. Again, he got bailed out, so it becomes easily dismissed. Tinordi looked much better with Subban, but I suppose it’s fair to say everyone would, more so than with Weaver.

At a certain point a guy needs to move on. That time has arrived. Heck, I hate reading my posts. I only wish to comment because I so vehemently disagree with the personnel choices. I hate the direction, if only because of the parallels with my beloved Yankees who find themselves in a very similar situation. The Yankees are unable to rid themselves of the old guard, who they’ve lived and died with. It’s not easy parting with that old comfortable pair of jeans. There is lots to be said for trust. Tinordi hadn’t earned it yet. Hopefully that changes in the near future.

Done…..

Moving forward, I hope the boys get two points tonight. A regulation win would be terrific, as it would greatly damage the Leafs chances. Let’s hope the boys are ready. Score early and often. Go Habs!

14. Dunboyne Mike says:

Dipsy.

15. Dunboyne Mike says:

Big argument about tonight’s starting D.
    So far no one saying “you don’t know anything about hockey”.
    Excellent. Much prefer it this way.
    Right mavid?

• habstrinifan says:

I got the dreaded “wonder how new you are to hockey”. Believe me it rankles. Simple man up statement “I think you are wrong.. I disagree” is better.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Oh man, Trini. You should see the holes in my tongue from biting it all day yesterday! And that was while others getting abused. I seemed to escape.

But the thing that should make a difference to long-standing posters — or even relative newbies — is that everyone else here knows that a bollox like that is both wrong and way out of line. Why I don’t think mavid should take any time-out.

16. Commandant says:

Nick… Trunev is still habs property but he seems a bust not a prospect at this point. Thats it for russia.

17. Commandant says:

Ian his parents expenses are not covered.

18. Dunboyne Mike says:

No way, mavid. Take one for the team. Please. Here’s the maths: the ratio between class poster and utter bollox is reduced the wrong way by one.

Sanctions against Russian’s coming to Europe, USA & Canada. Visa’s being revoked.
    looks like Russia will have to have it’s own league for it’s players.

20. DipsyDoodler says:

Why do most of you assume that every decision is “emotional”? Bouillon plays because he’s the pet. Tinordi is benched to send him a message. Beaulieu is left in Hamilton to send him an even bigger message.

And then there’s the theory that the people running the team are literally insane.

Have you people been married to or once dated someone really passive aggressive or something? A lot of people make decisions by rationally weighing pros and cons, you know.

I’m assuming that most if not all the hockey decisions are arrived at more or less this way: given our constraints, what decisions give us the best chance of winning this game and what decisions give us the best chance of winning the next ten games?

I’m not saying they are always making the right decisions.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• Ozmodiar says:

MT is comfortable with Boo. He trusts him. No extra coaching, instructions or adjustments required during the game. Put him out there with PK, and forget about it. No worries for MT.

On the other hand, with the rookies, you get a little more of the unexpected. Not what MT wants in a game like this.

Bouillon’s not very good… maybe a 5.5 out of 10. Tinordi might be a 6.5 at this point, but the delta is higher. More risk. Same thing with Beaulieu.

One can argue the merits of giving the kids experience for the future, but such decisions are made by the GM. If MB wanted the kids to get more time, Bouillon wouldn’t be on the team.

• Lafleurguy says:

MT values job security as much as anyone. He would not jeopardize it recklessly because many do not get a second chance to be an NHL head coach, let alone a fourth. Otherwise, he wouldn’t have left that dream job he had, the one where he could bavarde with P.J. Stock. But now, I have to await clearance to see which of the dumb and dumber categories I belong.

21. Paz says:

In terms of ability to perform tonight I would rank Beaulieu ahead of Bouillon, ahead of Murray, and ahead of Weaver.

None of these 3 defencemen should be back next season if we want to start building towards a serious Cup run.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I hope we see Beaulieu soon.

What do you think of Nygren though?

I’ve been reading of his exploits through google translate. Sounds like he is pretty special.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Paz says:

I know he has a slap shot that exceeds 100 miles per hour!

I know that he is a terrific offensive defencemen.

He would be a great addition to our 2nd line power play, and 5 on 5 scoring.

I assumed he would be on the Habs this year or next.

I was really upset when I heard he left Hamiton.

22. Commandant says:

Im on my phone so I cant link it but I put up an interview this morning with Michael Bournival who had two goals for Hamilton last night.

If you want to check it out… you know where to find it.

@Loonie, nice to see you posting here, whether we agree on items is irrelevant, you provide good knowledge and dialogue to the site.

CHeers!

Look how close it is for us to not make the play offs!!! A DOG fight the rest of the way. let’s make Toronto our Bit– tonight.!

Mtl is in 4th place after 71 games with 83 points.
    Philly in 5th place after 69 games with 81 points. 4 points in hand
    Toronto 6th place after 71 games with 80 points.
    Ranger 7th place after 71 games with 80 points.
    Columb 8th place after 70 games with 78 points. 2 points in hand.

Detroit 9th place after 69 games with 77points. 4 points in hand.

We had better win tonight without giving any loser points.

25. Commandant says:

Re: Bozons medical bills.

Legally the Habs cant pay or they would be giving their prospect an improper benefit and going against the cba and the salary cap. The rule against extra payments outside the salary cap Is clear. They would have to get any money approved via the board of governors and the nhlpa. They may still do it but remember that there are many legal hoops to jump through before an announcement can be made by the team.

26. Mavid says:

Sorry guys for my dumb blabbering…but guys like Storm man really grind my gears..pompous know it all’s that come on here with his little snippets telling us all how it is..and how dumb we are because we don’t have the same opinions as him…says stuff like dressing like cheerleaders, coming out of the basement for milk and cookies…and so on then has the nerve to tell me to act my age….I tried..really I did..but I could not contain myself anymore..I really enjoy coming here and some of you guys and girls are wonderful..yes even you Timo..but I think i need a break..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

I don’t like the name calling and the boorish behaviour either, Mavid. Hope you decide to come back soon and continue to provide some balance and clear thinking to this site!

Do the math……..7 x 6 = 42…Love our PK!
      24 cups and counting….

• Ron says:

Slackman, language bud.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Storm’s funny. I find the way he reminds us how much money he makes whenever we laugh at his illiterate posts kind of endearing.

There’s no way he owns a drilling company of course. I’m assuming you’d have to do some writing to get permits and sign contracts. As easy as it is to make money pumping oil out of the ground, you still need at least borderline literacy.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

(DD, please delete. please. DM)

• Ron says:

Mike, if you look back to a few posts between ourselves about a month ago do you not see some of the items of what we spoke coming to surface lately ?

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hi Ron. Can you tell me where to look? I remember it started with me never giving up!
            Hadn’t realised you were in the maritimes-which prov?

• Ron says:

Not that particular item Mike. Nothing I need to explain out now. Just something I thought you might remember but nothing lost. I am in New Brunswick by the way.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Can’t quite, but concerning comportment and know-it-allery? This thread has small lapses, but otherwise pretty good in terms of back-and-forth, no?

Born in Sackville, first 3 months in Cape Tormentine.

• boing007 says:

Borderline literacy like our Prime Minister?

Richard R

• Habitoba says:

I don’t post that often but I read most of the posts on each thread since 2006 (or was it 2007…?). You’re one of the good ones with clear thoughts and a hold on the negativity. Sometimes a break is good here and there but please don’t let one (uh oh, name calling) get the better of you.

• CH Marshall says:

Rule no. 1, dont take HIO seriously!

• habstrinifan says:

Sorry Mavid… please don’t make that more than a ‘deep breath break’ and come back and enjoy the readings (especially for tonight’s game) as we enjoy your posts. I can tell you I have had to take many myself. .. such as one which pompously asked “how new I was to hockey”… I had to really hold it together from lashing back.

27. Mattyleg says:

People below saying that Tinordi shouldn’t have been on the ice in the last few minutes of a tied game, because he’s a rookie, but in the same breath, they are saying that he should be allowed to start a crucial 4-point game against our division/historical rivals.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• DipsyDoodler says:

They’re like goldilocks. Except nothing is ever just right.

Same with the line juggling: there’s always too much or too little.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• CJ says:

Flip that around for a second Matty. Coaching staff has enough confidence to put him out in a tied game with very little time remaining, than scratch him the following game.

Your point is valid. I don’t subscribe to the theory that he needed to be protected, it was a bad play at a costly time, plain and simple. He earned the chance to be out there. I also think he’s earned the chance at redemption.

So when flipped around, he was given the opportunity to prove he was ready for all minutes but indeed showed not quite there. I wish Tinordi was playing from a physical dimension perspective, but understand the growing pains that he must go through.

• CJ says:

Hi Burly. Fair point. He made a mistake. I won’t understate it, because the timing was terrible and it ultimately proved a deciding factor in the outcome. Otherwise I thought he had a good game. If he was having a bad game he wouldn’t have been on the ice at that key interval. He had earned the coaches confidence to be on the ice and he made a bad play.

I have no issue with someone being held accountable for a costly mistake. I just wish it was more evenly applied. Of course veterans have earned more rope so to speak. I get that. But I’m not sure Emelin even misses a shift after his errors.

Lastly, would we even be having this conversation if Price made the save? I’d say no. If Price bails out Tiny the way he bailed out the other mistakes on Thursday night, Tinordi is playing tonight. Just my two cents. Cheers, CJ

• DipsyDoodler says:

Isn’t another possibility that the coaching staff is icing the team they think is most likely to win?

Murray can’t play every night but he is OK when rested. Same with Frankie actually.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

No, it must always come down to coaches wrong fans know better.

I don’t like MT, but he does know more about hockey and specifically these players than I do.

I just don’t understand why MB doesn’t call me for lineup considerations.

• CJ says:

I’m sure he does. He’s going with the guys he trusts the most. My comments today are meant to showcase that other organizations, more successful than ours, have enjoyed success with young defenceman. Further, in most instances they are not two first rounders
          like we have.

That said, I love reading your posts. Thank you for sharing. Cheers, CJ

• HabsPooch says:

I’m getting tired of Tinordi getting ripped apart for his blunder. If anyone was listening to the Nilan show yesterday, he pointed out that Weaver was too parallel to Tinordi and should have been about 8-10 feet behind Tinordi on the play. Not something that stands out the fan. Also, Eller committed the initial turnover in the offensive zone which started the whole mess. I’m just listening to TSN radio Montreal and there’s a sports psychologist on discussing the mental aspect of the game…especially for a rookie. Basically, his point is rookies as well as veterans make mistakes. It’s learning from them that counts. I would have Tinordi playing out there asap and to cast away the doubts in his head . Having Murray and Weaver paired together just means the Kessel line will be in our zone feasting on their opportunities. I’m sure Carlyle will be prepared for that matchup…

• boing007 says:

Don’t forget that Weaver yelled to Tinordi to pass him the puck. And he’s a veteran.

Richard R

28. I guess I must be wearing my Brandon Colored Glasses, because think Ryan White is the ideal 4th line player. He hits, Skates hard every shift, and wins more draws than he loses.

Am I wrong?

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

• Mavid says:

I must be wearing the same ones..always been a Whitey fan..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• habs-fan-84 says:

No you’re not Shane.

Agreed completely Shane.

On an aside, I loved your post regarding John Davidson following the Columbus game. Unfortunately, I fear it was missed as it was at the tail end of a thread. Great points. Cheers, CJ

• Thanks guys

CJ;
        Heading to Winnipeg for the weekend (yippy…..not). I’m a big Davidson fan, loved him on fox hockey in the 90’s and when we were little he was one of the only reasons to watch the rangers.

As for the the post, I have a brain injury. Usually when I write something I forget about it 5 minutes later haha.

But you stand out CJ so you must be doing something right :lol:

PeaceYall

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures
        Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

• CJ says:

Thank you for your kind words. I love chatting with fellow Hab fans, many of whom have likely forgotten more about hockey than I’d ever hope to know. Safe travels. Cheers, CJ

• CH Marshall says:

Had to google his name as I’m unfamiliar. Love the old school goalie masks. Wouldn’t hurt to have him on staff

• Habitoba says:

Me too, I love seeing two fellow Manitobans grinding it out on the fourth line. These guys love the team and it shows on the ice

Shane, I like White a great deal, to me he is indeed an average perhaps above average 4th line center. But if the team is going to give Galchenyuk a chance at center, Eller is indeed better than White, and can play a checking role while providing more offence.

This move speaks more to the depth Habs now have, than poor coaching.

29. Hockey Bob says:

Murray in for Tinordi is absolute crap, so a young defenseman made a mistake and you sit him. Great way to destroy a young player’s confidence but MT seems to be good at that.
    Loafs speed will have Murrays head spinning as they dance around him.

• FlyAngler says:

I live down here in the shadows of the T D Garden and absolutely loathe the Bruins but they are 1000% better than us at developing young talent and initiating them into their system. The Habs are doing an atrocious job with the young players on the roster right now IMO.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• Mattyleg says:

You’re right!
        Look at how well they brought Seguin into their syst… oh.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Luke says:

And Julien would never make Dougie Hamilton a healthy scra… oh.

• CJ says:

You made a good point Matty re Seguin, but keep in mind they got back a young player in return (Riley Smith), who is having a great year. Further, FlyAngler makes a great point. Take five minutes at look at the Bruins roster, with a focus on their defence, paying particular attention to the ages and nhl experience.

They graduated Krug into last year’s playoffs with ONE NHL game under his belt. Hamilton was 19 years old.

• Mattyleg says:

They certainly did bring some young players up through their system, but I think that most of thier success has to do with their drafting, which is tied in with the fact that their GM has been the same for a number of years.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• FlyAngler says:

Seguin, probably was not a good fit for their system Matty as I am sure you appreciate and Seguin had his own issues as well. Look at players like Krug and Smith and Sodorstom, they have all fit in beautifully. P K is not having a Norris year this year and quite frankly all of the blame should not be on him.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah totally!!
      Like when he destroyed PK’s confidence so badly that he won the Norris!!

Tinordi is being held to the same level of accountability as Murray (scratched after a mistake), Emelin (scratched after poor play), and PK (benched for boneheaded mistake).

He is sending the guy a message, and he’d best take it, as I’m sure he will. He didn’t call him out in the press, he just scratched him. Tinordi is a big boy and knows he did wrong.

At this stage of the season, if you can afford to teach lessons to your d-men to not make stupid mistakes with the puck, then it’s wise to take it. In the playoffs, all it takes is one play like that and you’re out of the post-season.

…and as for the Leafs’ speed… they have one line that is fast, and I would be surprised if Therrien matches that line with Murray.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• monmick says:

Murray (and even Bouillon) have to see some ice time before the end of the season for them to be considered useful replacements in the playoffs should injuries occur. You can’t sit them the last 15 games and expect them to come in and be useful as replacements in the playoffs should it be required. On that basis, I don’t mind seeing them draw in even if it means sitting Tiny for a game or two. Heck, I wouldn’t even mind seeing Markov sit for a game or two in the last stretch as our playoff spot becomes more certain…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

30. Dunboyne Mike says:

Can we separate speculation and evidence, please, on the MT-only-has-eyes-for-Frankie argument?

Sounds plausible, but I’m only reading confident assertions. Lack of evidence reduces them to the same status as the language argument….

• FlyAngler says:

Mike,

Nathan Beaulieu +5
      Jared Tinordi -3
      Francis Bouillion -11
      Douglas Murray -15

To me, this is clear evidence of at least some bias. I think that Beaulieu is better than Frankie at this point by leaps and bounds!

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• Mattyleg says:

To me that’s clear evidence that +/- is a useless stat.
        As I’ve said before, all Habs on the ice were awarded a ‘minus’ after the puck went in off the glass a few games back.

Add to that the fact that Bouillon was playing during a period when we were struggling with a ton of injuries, which is when he ammassed those negatives.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• FlyAngler says:

Bouillion deserved every one of the minuses he got against the AVS as he spun around on all three trying to figure out what the heck was going on. Plus/Minus stats have to be utilized reasonably and in context, but to suggest that they are meaningless makes no sense. Frankie Bouillion is -11 because he isn’t very good at this point in his career.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Thanks, Fly. Those stats do say something, although I also some sympathy with Matty’s point.

I guess what I’m still missing is the direct cause and effect. If we take those stats at face value, and conclude that Beaulieu at +5, say, should be playing ahead of Bouillon at -15, then there must be some reason why not. It might be bias, as you say, but it also might be language, as Timo says (and Dipsy refuted before being modded!), and it might be something else. The stats themselves can’t tell us what the reason is, leaving us with speculation!

Now let’s see what Loonie says….

• Loonie says:

All I really have to say at this point is any team that relies on Francis Bouillon as its #2 defenseman for any kind of significant period of time in a season is in serious trouble.

Further to that it speaks to some real incompetence that the same team feels that a player like Francis Bouillon is good enough to play in that role or doesn’t feel that stretch of time where he’s relied upon to fill that role is tremendously important would be better served by using a young player(Beaulieu, Tinordi) and developing them.

Worse still is that they don’t recognize how truly out of place he is in that kind of role regardless of the mitigating circumstances and adjust accordingly after trying it on a trial basis.

Like say….

Markov Subban
          Emelin Weaver
          Bouillon Murray/Tinordi/Beaulieu

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I agree with every point.
            I also agree with NOT also adding conjecture as to why Bouillon’s in!

• FlyAngler says:

It might be a bias in favor of veteran players which others have suggested before and which can have some merit given veterans experience, but new data needs to be considered when it suggests that players performance levels have altered whether it be in the case of Gionta or Bouillion or Tinordi or Eller. Veteran players seem to get the benefit of any and all doubt at this point even when it flies in the face of all logic and reason per Loonie’s points above.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• Loonie says:

He’s playing with Subban and this month the team has played five games. He hasn’t played less than 18:30 in a game since.

The team has allowed 16 goals in those five games and he’s a minus two playing with our best defenseman and has yet to have a plus game.

Subban is a minus three in those same games and sits at 0 for the season.

Bouillon has been on the ice for 23 goals for this season and 32 goals against and has an even strength differential of -11 to go with five total points in fourty-three games. So not only has he been bad defensively with -20 turnover differential, an overwhelmingly bad plus minus differential despite playing the majority of the time with matchup protection and the occasional night off to rest his body but he’s been bad offensively as well.

If you can provide a logical explanation as to why he’s playing FIRST pairing minutes in the last five games I’m sure people are all ears Mike. But everybody knows Bouillon and Therrien’s history and it’s the only logical explanation as to why he’s playing those minutes right now.

Edit: And more to the point. He wasn’t really anything close to good or above average last season either, and yet somehow got a contract extension. Very likely because he’s good in the room. I would imagine the equipment staff is too but they aren’t being counted on to kill penalties, play against top competition or take second wave powerplay.

• FlyAngler says:

There can be no logical explanation Loonie because it is absolute insanity if you ask me.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Ha ha! Nobody’s EVER all ears to listen to Mike!

Both you and Fly have assembled highly compelling and apparently incontrovertible evidence as to why Bouillon should not be paired with PK/playing at all/on the team.

Your conclusion — MT+Frankie loyalty — remains only, however, a “best theory”, and not by any means the only logical explanation. Fly suggests insanity — God forbid! He could be right, too.

I’m not trying to be a pain ITA. But since we’re throwing around the word logic, then let’s be logical. There ARE other possibilities, and these could be, and would be, based on information none of us here has.

Also, if we accept that MT is more swayed by mere loyalty than by all the information for using other players to which you and Fly have referred, then perhaps Fly’s theory is closer to the truth! But what probability?!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Further to that, monmick’s point above is something which may well have been a factor: keep your old vets involved because of the attritional nature of the playoffs. You don’t want their joints and ancient injuries all frozen when they’re suddenly called upon to step into the breach.

Maybe not enough on its own, but definitely a possible x-factor among potentially many more.

• rhino514 says:

Implying that he is a top 2 Dman because he has been playing with Subban is a misrepresentation. The number one Dman and number 2 Dman do not play together on many teams.
        Let´s go one by one;
        Murray; Bouillon is a better Dman than Murray (most dmen in the NHL are)
        Beaulieu; He is in the AHL for reasons unkown to us. But suffice it to say, there is clearly a reason, and I suspect that it is attitude-related, maturity-related, or defensive positioning related. there are reasons beyond simply natural ability why young players don´t make the parent club sometimes.
        Tinordi; Is Tinordi already a better dman than Bouillon? Quite possibly. But just because Bouillon replaces Tinordi for one game doesn´t mean that management thinks he is better than Tinordi.
        Bouillon deserves to draw in some games. Tinordi is very raw, and he deserves to draw in some games. Tinordi wasn´t even on the team 3 weeks ago. Now, he´s been a regular the last while. There is clear progression there, and I suspect Tinordi will continue to see some action before the end of the season, and even in the playoffs.
        However, he´s just a kid, and he is being put in the midst of a playoff run, an extremely high pressure situation. In such pressure situations, veterans can avoid making mistakes while most rookies won´t…..even if the rookie is ALREADY a better player than the veteran.
        I am tired of the criticism against Bouillon. He is a decent seventh defenceman. Gorges is injured. Hence, Bouillon is going to slot in in this situation. Tinordi should slot in most night too, in my view, he just isn´t slotting in tonight.
        And for what it´s worth, i do think that plus minus on Bouillon is representative; though of course I realize that without going into an exhaustive situational analysis, those are just so many words.
        But if you watch the games, Bouillon is actually a pretty decent skater and a very physical player; he´s still even at 37 a more balanced Dman than either Murray and arguably, still more than Tinordi, though Tiny is gaining fast. Bouillon for many years was regarded as an extremely tough Dman to beat one on one. He´s on his last legs, but, as I said, remains a decent 7th Dman with veteran presence. Again, Tiny might already be better, but say you are in a playoff game, Boo has 15 years of experience, Tiny and Beaulieu have 20 games; in a key moment of a playoff game, maybe the veteran knows what to do and the kids don´t. Would Tinordi haven sensed the need to pinch and end up scoring the overtime goasl against Ottawa last week? Probably not.
        Bournival at this point is a better skater and shooter than Gionta, who is on his last legs. But who do you want on the ice down by a goal with a minute left? I know I´d want Gionta. Heck, I´d probably even want him over Gallagher.
        come playoff time and during playoff-like hockey; Experience makes up for Talent; Talent has to wiz by experience and leave him in the dust before it can replace Experience.
        Having said that, come playoff time, with Gorges back, I´d have Tiny in there over Boo….but not by much.
        For now, with Gorges out, Bouillon totally deserves to draw in.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Rhino, I prefer this kind of analysis because it makes allowances for the kind of information to which we, the public, simply are not privy.

• Habitoba says:

I suppose I should look this up myself but I have to get going soon. Does playing right-handed or left-handed have anything to do with the pairings/scratches?

31. Habilis says:

Not a huge fan of these moves, but I’m not the coach. He must know more than me.

I honestly don’t care a lick who plays as long as we win. This is the biggest game against the evil empire in a while. We simply must win.

Better remind Boone to reverse jinx us up the wazoo.

32. Old Bald Bird says:

Tweet: Olivier Bouchard ‏
    By my account, Johansen’s goal was the only scoring chance allowed at evens by the habs while Eller was on ice.

33. FlyAngler says:

To me it makes no sense to play Bouillion. He looked absolutely pathetic on 3 of the Avs goals on Tuesday and was lost on the 2nd goal that Columbus scored on Thursday. At his age, his speed and game are clearly on the decline while Tinordi and Beaulieu are only going to get better with age and experience. Apart from his gaff near the end of the game, Tinordi played pretty well against Columbus and projects to be a stud on D for us.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

34. UKRAINIANhab says:

Whats with the Dream weaver hate. I thought he has played pretty well since he joined the habs. Am I wrong?

3-1 Habs tonight

Plekanec, Subban, Pacioretty

35. Ass in TO, Heart in the Forum says:

Timo’s back to his familiar fatalist self. Did we lose the last game or something?

36. Sportfan says:

Noticed how since Roy came back was labelled a god by many for days then lost 6-3 they are now on three game losing streak?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

37. habs_54321 says:

so if quebec separated from Canada it’s possible montreal would separate from quebec.

38. Eric Danis says:

So I honestly don’t understand why you wouldn’t sit weaver, over tinordi in a game that would have definitely gave him the chance to redeem

• WindsorHab-10 says:

Absolutely agree. That’s MT for you.

• stevieray says:

reedem himself or piss the bed again !…

• crane says:

Pateryn,Tinordi, and Beaulieu should all be playing since Christmas,even on a rotating basis with our vets of P.k., Markov,Gorges and Emelin.

• stevieray says:

I really like Beaulieu before the break ….must of showed to much

• CJ says:

Hi Crane, I agree completely. The folks that claim we have no replacement for Markov if he was to leave are partially right. We have no clue what we have because we haven’t given our young players a chance. I’m not talking about five games either. I mean a real chance, on their right side and/or with a competent partner.

PK Beaulieu
        Markov Beaulieu
        Gorges Pateryn
        Emelin Pateryn
        Tinordi PK
        Tinordi Gorges

Who knows, Beaulieu could have been ready to replace Markov by end of year, allowing us to move him at the deadline. He looked great in very limited time with PK.

Now we are almost forced to resign Markov for whatever term suits him best. It’s been very poor asset management.

Here we are, game 72 and we are trying Chucky at centre.

39. WindsorHab-10 says:

This is Rene Bourque’s final chance to impress & come through. He needs to play hard & give 110%. Bournival is due back soon & if Rene blows it, his playing days with the Habs are over.

• stevieray says:

Can’t figure out what went wrong with Borkie ?…He has shown in the past ( Calgary and his fight coming back from his suspension ) that he…had… the tools . Montreal must be be just to much for him to handle . I thing if he’s not scoring he just mails it in . I’d like to see him do good tonite on the new line ….

There is no way to gauge how disgruntled people are in Toronto over the play of Clarkson. He has been a total train wreck throughout the entire season.

With that point in mind, would you trade Bourque for Clarkson if Toronto took back 2M a season on his salary? That would basically make their salaries identical with Bourque having two years left on his contract while Clarkson has six (a Clarkson buyout for Toronto is 12 years at close to 2M a season).

41. CJ says:

Shifting gears, one of our prospects who I’ve read a lot of positive feedback about, but admittedly have never seen play is Josiah Didier. He is very much a stay at home defenceman, but at 6’3″ and 220lbs as a 20 year old, I wonder if he might have a future within the organization. Has anyone watched him recently? Feedback is appreciated.

I’m also hoping we sign Mac Bennett, who I’d like to see beside Pateryn. They were very good together at Michigan. I don’t know if Pateryn will ever be given a chance within this organization, but he could be a valuable trading asset.

Lastly, I’m hoping we might try and land a couple college free agents. Seems to be some intriguing names out there who could help Hamilton return to respectability.

• B says:

I haven’t seen him play, but read this the other day:

“Didier has both good size and mobility. He’s strong on his skates, plays with some grit, yet can make a first pass and jump up into the play offensively. The physical defender plays a tight defensive first game and thrives on shot blocking and killing off penalties. He’s growing into a solid, shutdown defenseman that hits to hurt and consistently clears the crease for his goaltender. If Didier continues his development at this pace, he will be very difficult defenseman to play against on a nightly basis at the pro level.”

–Go Habs Go!–

• CJ says:

Hi B. Always appreciate your feedback. Saw very similar scouting reports on other message boards. Could have a good one down the road. Cheers, CJ

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

Love these kinds of posts boys. This is the future. Thanks for the spotlight on Didier. Would like to see him become a mainstay on the Habs blueline one day. I also think Pateryn should be given a chance with Mtl, right hand shot, edgy, responsible. Maybe it will be between Pateryn and Nygren for the right D on the third pairing? My thoughts are Pateryn has more of everything as I have heard he has a good point shot too (although Nygren’s is supposed to be other worldly). Nice to have options for a change, eh?

Do the math……..7 x 6 = 42…Love our PK!
        24 cups and counting….

42. Strummer says:

2010 called- they want Rene Bourque back.

2012 called – they want Lars Eller back.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

43. WindsorHab-10 says:

Like Murray back in the lineup but would’ve loved to see both Parros & white back as well. Carlyle is a goon & if Laffs fall behind early he’ll let his dogs loose.

44. Slackman says:

So the Bruins are tied for best team in the league points-wise, with one more win and one more game played than the Blues. How can a thing like this happen? Anyways, we all know that the streak ends Monday.

“When the going get’s weird, the weird turn pro”

• Strummer says:

Starts at the top- good mangement/player acquisition – and Bryan Murray choosing Redden over Chara.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• crane says:

Pateryn has no future with Montreal,can’t beat out Boullion,Weaver, M urray with the season he’s having,never going to happen.

• Strummer says:

hard to say- but Bouillon Murray and Weaver probably wont be around next year.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

45. DipsyDoodler says:

I sure hope the Bruins are peaking early.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

46. zoomzip says:

Sorry, why is it everyone hates Murray? Skating? Cause that’s about the only knock on this warrior. Besides the fact he has “moves like Jagger’s” mom ,he brings everything else I like. My advice to Habs for tonight> pretend you’re playing against Anaheim and don’t take your foot off the gas. Make Kadri’s ice time miserable (since he plays like a tough guy every time against Habs) and short shifts.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

He can´t pass, he gets involved in useless battles away from the puck. He leaves his position for meaningless hits and so on. He´s a great guy but he has no skill and no brain. Hal Gill was slow as hell but he was smart, Murray isn´t. The real problem: Bergevin wasn´t clever enough to sign a RD like Gilbert instead of him.

Markov – Subban
      Emelin – Gilbert
      Beaulieu – Gorges
      Tinordi

would be a very solid D. Only Gorges would have to play his offside and he´s done that in many, many games. Probably in more than 200 alongside Markov, Gill… Tonight´s D is just not good enough. We could do so much better than dressing Bouillon, Murray, Weaver and then Emelin on his offside. That´s just bad management and horrible coaching.

• zoomzip says:

Gets out of position and gets involved in useless battles reminds me of another Habs D that just won the Norris. I agree with some of your assessments on him, however you forgot he blocks shots,can fight and hits harder then most. That’s why he’s a 6 or 7 D and not top 4. If you watch Murray closely, when he engages in a battle for the puck (in the corner) he usually leaves with the puck. For me Gorges is very average that blocks shots. Again I agree with some of the comments made against Murray, but he brings an element that we need against divisional rivalries.

• frontenac1 says:

Some people just don”t get it Zoom. No point trying to convince them. Here ya go , The Crankshaft ,in all his splendor. Enjoy amigo!

• Bmon44 says:

he also pinches up in the play WAYYYYYY toooo much considering his lack of offensive ability and skating. If his decision-making was better, I would be much more inclined to like him as a 6-D.

47. thebonscott says:

I know Tinordi mad a gaffe that cost a point in a game we didn’t deserve to win, but i still think he is better than the alternatives of bouillio, murray, weaver. Everybody makes mistakes, with more games he would adjust better. Would like to see
    tinordi-subban
    markov-emelin
    Beaulieu-gorges
    with murray as seventh d-man and bouillio/weaver only drawing in when someone is injured.

Note Pateryn scored his 11th yesterday, is 4th in goals for d-men in ahl, should make it next year.

C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

• frontenac1 says:

I thought not having Tiny in tonight was a mistake. But now I’m thinking it might be for the best. HNIC would be showing his gaffe on a continuous loop and the pressure on him would be immense. Maybe a rest for a game is wise, next game won’t be as intense on him. Just a thought.

48. DMAN says:

The 4th line will be killer tonight. So much energy and some grit. They may even pot one or two like they did with Prust a couple games ago.

Fearless Prediction:
    Mtl 4 Tor 3 SO

49. Sportfan says:

Maybe Emelin hits Bolland and then no playoffs for him.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

50. Lafleurguy says:

Read you all later, and in the inimitable words of Chuck:
    “Thanks for sharing!”*

*I’m paraphrasing ’cause his words were inimitable.

51. DipsyDoodler says:

The idea that Bouillon is playing because he speaks French is both stupid and offensive. This is how the Pauline Marois of this world think. (Remember when she only congratulated the Quebecois gold medal winners.)

Bouillon was a healthy scratch for 1/3 of the games this year. So we can rule out special treatment.

There is no optimum solution to our defence with Gorges out. Weaver, Murray, Tinordi, Beaulieu all have pros and cons. Management have weighed those and concluded that at present he is the least bad option to play with Subban. Other options all have disadvantages: Murray, Tinordi or Weaver or even Markov.

I’m not saying FB is the best option, I don’t know.

But his playing is a sign of neither incompetence nor ethnocentrism.

The constant harping about language on this site is no different than listening to the PQ.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• Loonie says:

The idea that Bouillon is playing because of his last name is foolish. The idea that he’s playing because he’s been Therrien’s pet in the past and present is not.

Bouillon is not a better hockey player nor is he a better fit to play top line minutes than any of Emelin, Tinordi and especially Beaulieu(who proved ready before being inexplicably sent down and not recalled before and after the Olympic break).

• CJ says:

I agree with your comments regarding Frankie getting a chance because of his last name. I think it has everything to do with familiarity, having been with Therien on and off for nearly 20 years.

52. habs001 says:

Huge game because if Leafs win they probably win in Jersey Sunday and be ahead of the Habs and the extra game for the Habs is monday in Boston….The game may be decided by the PK/PP and right now the Leafs have an edge…

53. smiler2729 says:

I have a hockey game at 8:30 so I’m not watching the game and I don’t really care cuz the Laff fans I know make it a drag with their major Montreal envy and their massive inferiority complex…

I’m betting it’s close, it probably goes to a 3 pointer, obviously I hope it’s 7-0 Habs… but I’m sure all the idiot Leaf fans I’m playing with tonight will let me know the score.

Please Habs, JUST F***ING WIN

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
    The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

54. Habs_101 says:

THAT D! uuuugggghhhhh… Hamilton ISN’T making the play-offs thats all but decided by now… Time to bring the kids up now!

Beaulieu – Subban
    Markov – Emelin
    Tinordi – Gorges
    Murray – Weaver

SURE looks a lot better to this spectator!

Oh… on a positive note, Bournival 2GP 2G 1A +3 6 shots since going down for ‘conditioning stint’ he’s probably ready too… just FYI

GO HABS GO!

55. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

So who’s gonna shut down Pudge and JVR? Surely, not Plecky’s line. The 4th line? Ha ha. Tarana wins 4-2. Pudge and JVR do all the scoring.

56. Lafleurguy says:

We added Vanek. Leafs lost Bernier. (Prust out, Bolland in, but not key players in this seasons head-to-heads). On paper, advantage Habs, on ice, TBA.

57. Mavid says:

this too..its not hockey related..I saw this on FB a few days ago..not for those of you that have heart conditions..scared the beejeezes out of me

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

58. UKRAINIANhab says:

I do not mind Tinordi sitting. :0

59. Loonie says:

I look at the standings with a half smile seeing that this team really only needs to play .500 hockey to make the playoffs and be in good shape going into them.

Then I come here and see again that Francis Bouillon is playing on our number one defense pairing and cringe.

This team’s loyalty to him is a significant weakness that needs to be fixed prior to the playoffs. There is absolutely no harm in playing Beaulieu and/or Tinordi as regulars leading up to the playoffs and hoping for them to develop some comfort heading into April. If one or both don’t work out you still have Gorges coming back with Murray, Bouillon and Weaver to choose from. The team had no issue in sitting Price out as a precaution for a significant amount of time. So where’s the harm in dressing the rookie defensemen that should be mainstays in the lineup for the next five years?

Tinordi’s blunder on Thursday was no worse than Bouillon’s three on Tuesday night against Colorado that all lead to goals.

• Timo says:

Well, perhaps if any reporters in Mtl actually had a pair they could ask Therrien how Bouillon playing on the first D pairing gives Habs a better chance to win. But it would require the reporters to put integrity ahead of the perks and that just ain’t gonna happen.

• RockinRey says:

Funny stuff

——————————————————————————————————
        You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• Mavid says:

i would be going with the perks..but then my integrity is questionable..I can be bribed as well..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• RockinRey says:

Yours too eh!

——————————————————————————————————
          You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• CJ says:

Good post. To add, it was also no worse than Emelin or Markov, who have also given up at least three breakaways since the Sens game. Price has just covered up the other mistakes.

IMO, I have no issue with Murray playing, but what’s the end game here? Are we positioning ourselves to try and sign Frankie as a UFA? Would anyone be surprised?

• Paz says:

Markov has not played inspired hockey lately. He could really use some time off I think.

• Timo says:

Both Bouillon and Therrien will be re-signed.

• Loonie says:

As the last line of defense it’s incredibly rare that it’s the fault of the defensemen or defenseman that a breakaway is conceded.

The large majority of the time it’s the result of no pressure on the puck carrier and no backchecking through the middle of the ice.

In the case of Markov and Emelin in that Sens game last Saturday night they had little control over the breakaways that were given up. The only thing they could have tried to do is play a tighter gap in the neutral zone to take space away from the Senators players on the rush(which is what the defensemen should do when the puck carrier isn’t pressured) but considering both of their injury histories it’s hard to blame them for not wanting to be aggressive when one quick pass results in them having to change directions in a real hurry.

It’s a wide rink and when your forwards aren’t taking away the middle of the ice like they should be it becomes very difficult to not give space to three oncoming forwards. This is all a product of the swarm that Therrien preaches. As soon as one pass gets through an area that it shouldn’t it’s lights out.

• CJ says:

They gave up a short handed breakaway to the Sens and Av’s when they got split down the middle allowing the opposition to walk in. Both chances happened in the second period of both games and both at the same blue line. Ronn noticed the same thing. That was all on them.

Regarding your original post, there is a great deal of truth to what you say regarding cause and effect. Breakaways are not always on the defenceman. Thank you for sharing, CJ

• Loonie says:

Not looking to continue into a great debate but the cause is exactly why they got split down the middle.

The shorthanded breakaway against the Sens and Avalanche were the result if my memory serves of quick plays off of the boards on Markov’s side of the ice. So on the powerplay he’s expecting the puck to be moved up his wall. If you’d like to place some blame on a defenseman I suppose you could pick on Emelin a little bit for not anticipating a puck up the middle and adjusting his position more toward the middle of the ice but the fact remains that with five skaters to four and two players always on the puck.

1. A pass should never get through the middle of the ice with pressure on. And that’s on the forwards.

2. With no adequate defending of the middle of the ice the defensemen are left flatfooted and essentially hopeless against quicker players(not that Zack Smith is quick).

The culprit that the cameraman and commentators focus on make me laugh sometimes. Like Tinordi’s pinch the other night resulting in a penalty.

Well yeah Tinordi’s pinch resulted in a penalty. But there was zero backcheck from a single forward and Mike Weaver(who is supposed to have been brought in for his speed in addition to his shot blocking) couldn’t keep up with Artem Anisimov(who isn’t going to be confused with Pavel Bure anytime soon in the speed department) even with a ten foot head start.

Nice to see you, Loonie.

When those with real hockey knowledge on HIO — yes, there are some! — declare that they are perplexed, I nearly always simply assume that there is an X factor to which the public is not privy.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I am not 100% sure we have the cap space to call up Beaulieu. Capgeek has his NHL salary and our available cap space within a few $ of each other.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

60. RockinRey says:

Anybody read that story by Brian Wilde on Price protecting Tinordi from reporters the other night? Sounded like one of those heartthrob pieces by Stubbs written to the girly crowd.

——————————————————————————————————
    You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

61. Paz says:

Playing in Toronto I would have called up Beaulieu tonight and inserted him in the lineup. Beaulieu is a difference maker.

Murray, Bouillon, Weaver, Oy! Oy! Oy!

I think all 3 would clear waivers past 29 other teams.

62. CH Marshall says:

well it looks like Tiny will learn to appreciate hot dogs at the ACC

63. govenah says:

I prefer Murray and Tinordi for their intangiables over Boullion or Weaver. I you are looking at stats in his few games Beaulieu who is a +5 may bring more.

Interesting to see what Eller does in a 4th line roll. Not sure that works.
    Here would be my lines:
    Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
    Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher
    Bourque-Eller-Gionta
    Moen-Briere-Weise

If Moen and Wiese play hard it opens ops for Briere against a week opposition.

The glass is MT.

• RockinRey says:

Weaver is the replacement for Gorges until he gets back so I agree with you .

——————————————————————————————————
      You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

64. Dunboyne Mike says:

@Ukrainian. To answer your question:

For me, I can’t choose one over the other. I get extremely pumped for both, but in different ways.

Not quite sure how to articulate it, though. Perhaps it has something to do with history. The rivalry and animosity between Montreal and Boston has been running uninterrupted since — since both were in the league? It’s an ongoing battle for supremacy.

Versus the Leafs the ongoing battle alternates between one of bilateral supremacy and bilateral suckitude. Often there is nothing actually on the line.

From my distant perspective, my actual belief (donning protective clothing) is that Habs-fan hatred for the Leafs is much, much more to do with media than derby-style rivalry.

I am on the point of saying more than I ought to, so I’ll stop! Lafguy knows what I mean!

What do you think, Ukrainian?

Btw, hope anyone you know in the hotspots is safe and doing ok.

This is going to be ugly tonight. Really ugly for the Habs.

Elaborate, Timo!

• Timo says:

They will lose and lose in every aspect of the game. Leafs goons will have a field day so on top of the humiliation on the scoreboard, Habs will also get beat up pretty badly. Just a feeling I have based on the fact that players better suited for tonight’s game are not playing.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

The level and intensity of my degree of pumpitude has generated a force-field around me which deflects your furious prognoses!

I can’t even meet you half-way this time. All I can say is, I would never, ever underestimate the Leafs when they play us — they are driven by Smaller-Brother Syndrome. Always dangerous.

But Timo, which goons do you mean? According to posters here, none of the usual suspects is playing.

That leave Hostess Twinkie Phaneuf and Kadri playing like a choirboy because none of his bros is around to cover for him when he pulls a Marchand.

Your point about the wrong players sitting is, of course, moot. You watching with Storman tonight?

• Timo says:

Hahah… my kiddo is out for a sleepover tonight (her first, thinking we may get a call late at night) so wife and I are staying home with some steak, shrimp and wine. But I think Storman and the rest of the Calgary gang should get together soon. I’ll leave it for someone else to set it up since my org skills are as good as Bouillon’s defensive skills.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Sounds like a lovely evening, although not too late to invite the other Calgarians over…

BUT. You EVADED my goon question!!

• Timo says:

Well… Tiny’s is not just an answer to goons. He actually skates pretty well, can carry the puck, and can punch the crap out of ANY leaf because he doesn’t have “the goon” label. He also doesn’t make as many mistakes as Bouillon. Anyway, I won’t try to rattle your force-field, Mike… I hope you are right and I am wrong.

As far as steak, maybe when I get my own oil rig, I’ll invite the calgary gang for some steak. (I hear they are an angry bunch though)

• frontenac1 says:

Hey Timo! Apparently Orr and McLaren are out. Crankshaft can handle the nonsense in front of Carry tonight. No problem wiith the rough stuff imo. My only worry is the Cube. Man, he is showing his age. Enjoy your steak dinner amigo! Try finishing it of with a nice Cognac and Cohiba. Very Civilized. Saludos!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Timo, when you have your own oil rig, you best be sending your personal Learjet over to pick me up for that BBQ.

• AH says:

Yup Timo, totally agree, if the Leafs come out banging, and why wouldn’t they?, Habs are screwed. Carlyle must be licking his chops looking at that lineup. What exactly did we sign Parros for?

• Mavid says:

yep you two might as well skip watching it..rent a movie..I watched Flight last night..excellent movie..a little freaky given that I work for an airline..but Denzel is..nothing short of amazing..so there ya go..don’t bother you guys already know how the game will end..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

66. Kythehabsfan says:

Really excited for Chucky. This could be a pivotal game for him; knowing MT’s behaviour with the kids he will have a short leash though.

Don’t like Tinordi sitting. He needs to grow from that last game and it won’t happen from the pressbox. Weaver, Cube, nor the Fridge is an upgrade on MT’s latest lesson to a rook.

67. CJ says:

Bernier out, but Bolland back in.

Reimer has played well against us. Toronto will be prepared. We will need to be very good. I’m expecting a close, hard fought game. Stating the obvious, but getting the first goal is key.

68. TheAmerican says:

Scratching Tinordi in favor of Murray is ridiculous. Just awful. The Canadiens should be trying to build the young man’s confidence, not destroy it.

• RockinRey says:

Agree. Maybe bring Murray back in and sit Boullion instead of Tiny. Just dont get how a mistake like that, which still happens with PK and Markov can be used as a reason to sit him. This stretch drive gives him the experience he needs should he be called upon in the playoffs.

——————————————————————————————————
      You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• CJ says:

I’ve been advocating for an extended opportunity for our younger players, but I’d say that the time has passed us. We appear willing to live and die with the 35+ crowd. I get it to a degree (experience, trust, etc.), but IMO, we are better, at every position with our younger players.

Perhaps the future of sports is not younger players as I’ve suggested, but in fact those who are 35 and over. Maybe we are a trend setter. In fact, case and point, the last Leafs cup was won on the backs of old players.

Or, perhaps we are making a big mistake……

In either event, I’m sure everyone can agree that a own tonight would really put the Leafs in a bad spot. Go Habs!

• RockinRey says:

They have to grow some time. Chucky has not really been put into a position where they show they have confidence in him. How is it Mackinnon can matriculate to the NHL and be comfortable showing his significant talents yet the CH feel they have to insulate one of their own?

——————————————————————————————————
        You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• Timo says:

Therrien’s genius knows no bounds.

69. Lafleurguy says:

Last time I posted this, the Habs won. For supplicants circling the ACC, and anyone else who is superstitious:

LafleurguyMARCH 18, 2014 AT 5:53 PM
    A Magical Mystery Tour unravelled on HIO today
    “Why?,” scamorza asked, and we had lots to say
    Great feats by torch-bearers past seen by many
    Recalled for young ones who read with quiet envy

A Magical History Tour was waiting to take us away
    To treasured family love; and vitality, back in its day
    We are spiritually connected and we want to bear the torch
    To aid the true bearers and shield them from a scorch

We read, we shared, we were warmly transported
    To those memories and deep feelings many of us reported
    Live long and prosper good friends of Les Habitants
    And cheer on Les Boys to survive tonight’s Avalanche.

• Lafleurguy says:

The Leafs are Forever Rivals, for us fans of Les Boys
      And rants from TO media are heard by us as white noise
      We need the defense defending, and our offense to offend
      And then we’ll be TO’s Daddy, until this season’s end.

70. Maksimir says:

If Bourque shows up.. these could be some pretty good lines.

Too bad about Tinordi but I understand the change… his mistakes have been a bit too costly lately. But so have Eller’s.

• Timo says:

Tinordi made one mistake against columbus which sadly lead to a goal (which Price should have had, btw). He otherwise played a very solid game and was outstanding killing all those penalties. I don’t know where the myth of Therrrien being good developing young players came from but the facts just do not support it.

71. scarboro_habitant says:

murray and bork in… wasnt how i was hoping my day would start lol. should be a good tilt tonight though.

72. Dunboyne Mike says:

@Chris.
    Ha! Saw your reply (3 hours later!) about Galchenyuk in Sarnia. Thanks — stuff I could never know about. Cheers.

73. Lafleurguy says:

Bought this spot from a scalper. (he told me it would be first)

74. Mavid says:

whew..thanks for splainen that to us simple folks

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

75. Mark C says:

Really? So Dougie Hamilton hasn’t been sent to the press box mulitple times in the past few weeks? This wasn’t the same team that moved their #2 overall pick from center to wing for 3 years, and ended up having trading him? BTW he’s 4th in NHL scoring today.

76. CH Marshall says:

Cheers to the angry bunch!

77. Mavid says:

wow..post a pic please..so we can pin it up on our walls and admire you..thanks for again clearing this all up for us simpletons..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

78. CJ says:

In fairness, Hamilton has been a scratch three times this season. He is 20 and is already a fixture on their blue line. Krug is 22, while Bartowski is 25, but has fewer than 75 games of NHL experience, of which 52 games are this season. Miller is 26, but this is his first season in the NHL.

Compare that to the ages of our defenders. Bouillion, Weaver, Markov and Murray who are 38,36,35,34 respectively.

79. Bmon44 says:

Also, compare the b’s d to the habs, for us, filling out the bottom two pairing is taking the least worst, for them, it’s like how it was on our Olympic team, can’t go wrong with any of them…

i hope this also shuts people up about gorges, clearly he’s a good player for us. also, beaulieu needs to come up. i think are D will be better next year, emelin at least will be better and our young d should be up. still, wouldn’t hurt to try and improve it in the off-season, d-men are so coveted/guarded by teams though…

80. Mavid says:

uh..duh..ok then…

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

81. Habitoba says:

Haha, It’s a good thing we have Stormy here otherwise we wouldn’t know anything about hockey, or anything at all, apparently.

82. Mavid says:

promises..promises..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

83. Dunboyne Mike says:

Really like what I’ve seen of Miller.

84. CJ says:

As have I Mike. Boy, he’s tough as nails and plays a solid game. Amazing to think he’s not played in the league before this season.